.
October 23rd, 2013

Violence in Schools

We're planning to cover some stories this week that involve violence in schools.  (One incident led to the closing of all seven schools in a Massachusetts district.)

You might have heard about these stories on other news outlets before hearing them on CNN Student News.  When you talk about school violence with your parents or your friends, what comes up?  What concerns you the most?

Please remember to include only your first name when commenting.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Aaron

I think that the all of the shootings are terrible, but people have the right to own automatic guns if they have a permit. Its not the guns that kill people, its the people.

October 23, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • Shana

When you're 12 years old you should not be allowed to own any sort of gun. How he got it is a different story. Thank goodness he's gone. Guns and people don't mix. They create a mixture of panic, death, and conflict into the world. When you have a permit you should use it for a good reason- not so you can go around shooting innocent people.

October 24, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • Tate

Even though I oppose guns and don't have one I agree that the problem here is not the weapon it is the person. I messed up there a little. Guns actually do cause more damage because they're more advanced. In other words guns can effect in more casualties.

October 24, 2013 at 10:19 pm |
    • Taliyah

I think that the shootings were very sad but this child shouldn't have had a gun at school, also I think that the gun kills people and not the person.

October 24, 2013 at 10:19 pm |
    • Seth

Violence and schools do not mix. I think that school violence is bad. That is why we need to prevent bullying.

October 26, 2013 at 10:23 am |
    • Abby

Yes, but having a gun would make someone do something they wouldn't normally do. You know what I mean?

October 28, 2013 at 5:15 pm |
  2. Shane

Bullying, guns, and suicide do not mix. Instead, they create a catastrophe and cause all kinds of conflicts. When you hear about heartbreaking news stories such as Connecticut and now Nevada, it upsets not only myself, but the rest of the world that hears about it

October 23, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • Jesus

I strongly agree with you. All of this violence should be stopped. Watching families being torn apart by selfish people brings tears to my eyes. You have a good point about all of this violence.

October 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
    • Taliyah

I think that this is said that things like this our happening in our world, we should have a peaceful place to live at not were people are getting killed by someone who is probably having problems or a bad day.

October 24, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
    • Nathan

I'm actually in Nevada near the sparks area, so when I heard about the shooting I was very scared.

October 31, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
  3. Michael

I think that it should be resolved with extra security in hallways and in classrooms so that way it will no longer be a problem.

October 23, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
  4. Kushal

Violence will go on as long as they are not tought a lesson in a situation where they are the victim.

October 23, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
  5. Joey

I think so,lots of kids at different schools get bullied and do nothing about it.

October 23, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
  6. vince

i come from a school that is private with not the best security. some days I hear these stories and want to just go home and hide. but I stay at school and hope for the best.

October 23, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
  7. Kiera

It concerns me that even though teachers talk about it, there is sometimes nothing done to prevent events involving violence from happening less frequently. It's also common for people to merely standby because they have no clue what to do.

October 23, 2013 at 9:22 pm |
  8. Samuel

We will normally just speak of things like: taking a gun to school, knife, and anything potentially fatal. It is very concerning when there isn't a kind of drill to tell us what to do if something like that happens, it's sort of just assumed that you know what to do.

October 23, 2013 at 9:26 pm |
  9. Aaron

I think that the shootings are terrible, but I still believe that people have the right to own any kind of gun they want, as long as they have the permit. Its not the guns that kill people, its the people that kill people.

October 23, 2013 at 9:34 pm |
  10. Maguire

I think after the sandy hook insident, know one would ever want to kill others school related

October 23, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
  11. Maguire

I think after what happend at sandy hook no one would of killed another person school related, but I guess I was wrong.

October 23, 2013 at 9:44 pm |
  12. Tammy

I'm scared that my parents will start talking about boys and I'll be weird.

October 23, 2013 at 9:50 pm |
  13. Tate

Its never happened to me, but I believe its terrifying. Once my school had a lock-down and I didn't know if it was a drill or if it was the real deal. And then I heard someone banging on the doors. it was frightening.

October 23, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
  14. Xavier

Most folks say they don't want to talk about it. I think it's mostly because folks don't want to think about that coming to our city or county.

October 23, 2013 at 9:55 pm |

I dont think that it will get any better because if the boss in every company doesnt have money to give to there emploies who will pay them? and how will they get money?

October 23, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Rekha

Firemen have their fire gear, police their bullet proof jackets and guns, soldiers their war toys but teachers ???? They are not suppose to be dealing with stuff like this. But today they are forced to. They are under paid and over used. They are expected to stretch too thin. In addition to dealing with the effects of broken families and broken economy that they see first hand in their classes. They give up their lives to save children and remember most of the time till the day they die no one has ever praised them for their hard work.

October 23, 2013 at 11:38 pm |
  17. Johnathan

What concerns me is how the person is and what he did in the school.

October 24, 2013 at 12:32 am |
  18. Johnathan

What concerns me is who the person is and what he did in the school.

October 24, 2013 at 12:32 am |
  19. Sophia

When it comes to school violence, I'm worried about school safety the most. The most important thing is to be on guard. A student in school could attack you all of a sudden, so once again, I ask everyone to be aware of this awful possibility and always get ready in case you're in a rude awakening.

October 24, 2013 at 1:22 am |
  20. Michael

The solution to violence in schools begins in the family. As the Family unit degerates in America, violence escalates. Fix the family = fixing society.

October 24, 2013 at 7:49 am |
  21. Cody

School violence has definitely increased in the past year dramatically. I don't ever remember hearing so many stories about killings and shootings at school so frequently. Mental health is obviously the biggest concern here. No amount of gun laws or other laws could ever stop someone so cruel as to already have decided to shoot up a school. After all these people are criminals, which by definition break the law. No law can stop someone who breaks laws. The best way to combat this violence is mental health screenings and school prevention methods such as armed guards on campus. This may scare some people, but who do you call when things like this happen? The police, armed law enforcement who can protect you. The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun, and quite frankly the response time from most 911 calls are not fast enough to stop any violence while it is happening. Armed guards are the only way to effectively stop a school shooting. No gun free zone sign will ever be large enough to stop someone with the capacity to kill. This also would create thousands of jobs nationwide helping to employ capable and qualified people who may be unemployed.

October 24, 2013 at 7:58 am |
    • Cameron

You're absolutely right. Anyone who even thinks of committing terrorist acts will definitely rethink it when armed guards are present. There's a reason for the Second Amendment. It's not to allow murder sprees at the hands of someone who is obviously unstable. It is to allow those on the other side of that rampage to defend themselves. Also, the new job oppurtunitites would be great for those struggling to find work, including those who are untrained in other fields, in dire need of a job, and even veterans returning home. It may be difficult at first, but surely the safety of American students is a top priority.

October 24, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
  22. Katherine

School violence is something that's not going to stop. Bullying gets worse each day and when it gets too bad kids snap, making them resort to this kind of violence.

October 24, 2013 at 9:25 am |
  23. Joshua

Well i am not worried.

October 24, 2013 at 10:01 am |
  24. Caity

Everyone is saying that the economy is terrible. I don't think the economy is as bad as people say. Yes, it could do better. But it's not getting worse, people need to cut them some slack.

October 24, 2013 at 10:07 am |
  25. Britnie

I believe that the government is getting worse because just recently with the government shutdown I have gone to see someone I know and they are loosing their house, their sister is 4 payments behind rent, and they are moving in with a friend of theirs. I find it really sickening what this has come too.

October 24, 2013 at 10:14 am |
  26. Robin

This leaves me wondering if it will happen at my school, and is my school ready to handle it????

October 24, 2013 at 10:33 am |
  27. Tessa

I think that you can not stop violence in schools because no matter where you go you will always have violence in schools.

October 24, 2013 at 10:52 am |
  28. Tessa

The thing that concerns me the most is that someone could be killed because of violence in schools. That is just scary!

October 24, 2013 at 10:54 am |
  29. Andrew

I think that even though school violence is rising, it might have students realize that we are all part of the same community and that we all have to look out for each other!

October 24, 2013 at 11:04 am |
  30. AJ

When I talk about violence in schools with other people, we usually talk about topics such as bullying or weapons in school. What concerns me is that with these shootings at the schools, I'm afraid that a student in my school will do the same thing.

October 24, 2013 at 11:09 am |
  31. Daniel

I think a lot of schools are taking safety precautions because all of the bombings and shootings. Nobody knows if it is going to happen to your school but you never know if it will or not.

October 24, 2013 at 11:11 am |

I feel that school violence is becoming a big problem in schools. But it seems to just be happening in very populated areas. Since I go to a small school in a small town I feel safe here, but if I went to school in a populated area I would probably be much more stressed about school .

October 24, 2013 at 11:11 am |
    • Luis

That isn't always the case you shouldn't feel that way about populated schools. You should always remember these types of tragaties can happen any where not just populated areas.

October 24, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
  33. Jay

I am not concerned about anything at my school, Glenwood Elementary, because this summer, we got some new safety doors at the front office where you have to buzz in to get in. But last year, we got out of school one day early before our Christmas Break because their was a threat said at the high school and parents were not going to bring their kids to school on that day. But I do think that their is violence in schools everywhere because I saw on the news that their have been 13 school shootings since the year started.

October 24, 2013 at 11:11 am |
  34. Creed Finla

We also got out of school because of a shooter threat and I think that is bullying. Not beating someone in a foolish game.

October 24, 2013 at 11:13 am |
  35. Maria

I feel my concerns if a person with a gun comes into my school, I would, one, try and stop him, two, run for my life. And I think the gun violence is increasing in recent years. There is a positive and negative sides to having a gun. There has to be a balance between the two sides or things get out of control.

October 24, 2013 at 11:27 am |
  36. Jesus

All of the violence in these schools is heartbreaking and it tears family's apart. The violence happening in these schools has to be stopped and put to rest. It brings tears to my eyes watching all these sad newscasts about peoples lives being taken from them. As I said earlier, this violence has to stop.

October 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  37. Jaci (pronounced Jaysee)

What scares me the most is that people are getting less afraid to cause violence. Just the other day, we were talking about a shooting in class and somebody said, "but only two kids died, so it's not that bad." The scary thing is that she was right. What kind of world do we live in that we can just be glad that not as many people died as usual, instead of greiving for lives that WERE lost?

October 24, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
  38. Andrew

I think that a lot of violence that happens in school is mostly caused by bullying. This is not always the case but most of the time I think it is. It is usually caused by students getting bullied so they decide to bring a weapon to school. After that the student gets mad or scared one day and then uses the weapon on someone. That is just my opinion though.

October 24, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
  39. Nathaniel

The only thing that can stop a gunman in schools is armed law enforcement and security officers you can't stop someone with a gun unless you have a gun yourself.

October 24, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
  40. George

i think its society and bad parenting if a 12 year old is able to get his hands on a gun

October 24, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
  41. damon

I'm at a small safe school and there isn't much crime related to guns, but if I were at a big school I would help stop bullying which I think is a part of school violence.

October 24, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
  42. Tasia

School violence is a really scary thing that is happening everywhere. I think the schools that are bigger with more students have a lot of more school violence. I got to a small school and I feel very safe because everyone knows each other and cares about each other.

October 24, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
  43. Lester

I feel that violence is becoming a big problem in school.

October 24, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
  44. Rachel

I wonder about this all the time, I only hope that if it happens and I die, I hope I did something brave. Like that Teacher who died for her (I think maybe 3rd graders) a while back, I hope that I can stand up and save some lives. But all in all I'd rather stay alive 😉 hehe

October 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
  45. Anthony

When I talk about school violence, the main thing that crosses my mind is; What would drive someone to take another's life? On top of that, with the recent school killing, destroy your future, which was still nanscent to the world? I personally believe the answer lies with the interactions between the culprit and their peers and/or mentors. It may not be an immediate solution, but further investigation into this may lead to the answer in the future.

October 24, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
  46. jesse

i think violence is wrong! and descrimination is an abomination ;D

October 24, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
  47. davion

bullying comes up. also being teased by people. also gang members lol.

October 24, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
  48. Brigitte

When it comes to my school, we talk so much about bullying and why they do it. But it seems that this falls into the catagory of racism and that is one thing schools need to talk about more. Black, White or Hispanic we are all equal.. So why do we do this to eachother?

October 24, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
  49. Christopher

As heartbreaking as this is (and I live close to the incident in Nevada) we shouldn't let this overpower us. Everyone is discussing fortifying our schools as if it has become a war. Is that really how we should be moving forward from all this? Arming our teachers, flooding our hallways with security guards, metal detectors at all of our doorways... Is this our future for our schools?

October 24, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
  50. Sabrina

If someone feels like the need to bully or act violently against someone else, they are covering their own emotions. It's not a fun feeling to be on the receiving end and something should be done to stop it.

October 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  51. Alexander

Violence is wrong and that's not how I was brought up. What would drive someone far enough to want to cause harm to their peers? Violence is destroying our future world. We need to put a stop to it as soon as possible to stop the irreversible damage.

October 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
  52. karsten

Any form of violence towards any one person, not only hurts that person, but the people around them. For example, school shootings. With every injury or death, is a chain link to the family's of the injured. Its just wrong.

October 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
  53. Arianna

These shootings are uncalled for. You'd think that with all of the tight security we have today these wouldn't happen. But apparently we aren't putting tight security in enough of the right places.

October 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
  54. Colton

Violence in schools is becoming a big issue in today's society. Schools need to find a "blanket" way to deal with it all around our country, or it is going to become a uncontrollable out break in a few years.

October 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
  55. Eva

I believe the economy is currently staying the same because we still have extremely high gas prices. Yes, they are going down, but our gas is still overly expensive. Our groceries and living expenses are too high for most Americans. And our country is still in debt. We almost hit the debt ceiling when our country went in partial shutdown.

October 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
  56. Chris

I think these kinds of things are always terrible. What I think we should do is train and allow a few teachers to carry a firearm during school so that if there is a terrible accident that involves a rough gunman, they can help to stop him and save lives. Also remember that if you are being bullied, talk to a teacher. They will try to help you in any way possible and most will not stop until the problem is solved.

October 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
  57. Rachelle

What comes up in my household is how to protect myself in case this does happen. At my house, we have made a very complicated escape route, for every situation. What concerns me the most is that people don't feel guilty after they kill. To me, it seems as if they have no soul

October 24, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
  58. Lanza

I strongly support students being allowed to carry firearms when attending school. In the event of a shooting, everyone will possess a concealed handgun, which completely flips the tables. Students will only have to determine who among them is the shooter and deliver swift justice upon that hater. Only our generation can stop the issue of gun violence in our schools.

October 24, 2013 at 3:19 pm |
    • Name

stupidest thing i have ever heard you want to arm all the students so when one kid gets mad he doesn't even have to try to get a gun just pull his out like what did you say. Really people like you are what's wrong with society the blame falls completely on the parents how do you not notice your child has a gun much less the 11 year old that had a gun and 400 rounds of ammo I blame parents for being ignorant

October 27, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
    • Abby

This is a very good point, something to think about. I also think that though it would allow a student to defend themselves, you need to think of it this way: A teacher is standing up in the middle of a classroom teaching. A student is chit chatting with his friend not really listening. The teacher gets mad because he has disrupted 3 times already. The student thinks its unfair and pulls his gun on her. Possessing a gun will give someone security but also propel them to do things they wouldn't normally do through anger.

October 28, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
    • Kylie

I totally agree. Though, I was thinking maybe the teacher should be a professional shooter and has a gun in the teacher's safe or something. Thus, the teacher can shoot the intruder or the gun-man if the kid's life or the teacher's life is in danger.

October 30, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
  59. Mariyah

October 24, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
  60. TRAVIS

I think all the shootings are bad, but people have the right to own automatic guns if they have a permit. Its not the guns that kill people, its the people.

October 24, 2013 at 4:48 pm |
  61. tyler

i agree with all of u that violence is wrong, i go to school to learn not to see someone come in with a gun and shoot teachers and students.i dont like some of my teachers and i dont come in and shoot them just cuz i dont like them and for the people who dided RIP and for the familys may god bless them

October 24, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
  62. Elizabeth

Violence at schools is a pretty big deal now and days, kid are going crazy or something . It's sad that our society is getting worse and worse everyday.

October 24, 2013 at 4:52 pm |
  63. DWIGHT

VIOLENCE IS AN ISSUE TODAY IN OUR DAY TO DAY LIFE.

October 24, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
  64. kyle

I think all the school violence is pathetic. It needs to stop it gets way too out of hand with all the school shootings and stuff. peope are dying for no reason when this can be stopped.

October 24, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
  65. casiana

I think talking about violence with your parents is a good idea. Talking about it might seem awkward at first but this is a serious issue. You got to do, what you got to do.

October 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
  66. marquise

i think school violence is a very serious problem is today's generation. because a lot of kids& teacher's are loosing their lives to these violent crimes.

October 24, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
  67. ariah

we should not have violence in our school's...student's come there to learn & teacher's are there to educate... no need for school violence.

October 24, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
  68. Duane

So "School Violence"? Maybe "we" should address the REAL issue here, like where are the Parents? I am certain I will have to hear all of the sob stories about how "the parents arent responsible for the childrens actions" and blah blah blah. WAKE UP!!! If you had them, they are YOUR responsiblity. Be a parent, NOT a friend. Teach your children about
    responsibility and accountability. Another good lesson would be consequences and actions. You built the little monsters now deal with them, instead of pawning them off on the rest of society.

October 24, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
  69. Shana

When I heard about violence at school and the damage it does to someone it breaks my heart. Being a Jewish person we learn not to cause someone physical or spiritual pain. Any person could learn from that.

October 24, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
  70. Emily

I think violence is wrong it should be dealt with but it should be done properly and safely

October 24, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
  71. Lilly

One thing that comes up a lot when I talk about school violence is Why?. How could you do it. How could you harm innocent people. I feel its just sad when someone feels the need to harm other people and in some cases themselves. I also believe that they should do more security measures to prevent it such as teachers being allowed to handled items that include small hand guns, tasers, and items that could harm your eyes. I do think they should keep these items out of reach of children but I do believe they should be required. They should also "beef" up school security measures by having metal detectors and a security guard on campus. This is how I feel about school violence and how we can prevent it.

October 24, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
  72. Sue

As a high school teacher, I think we place too much stress on our students with testing and create a pressure cooker atmosphere in which some snap. Schools used to be about getting basic credits and graduating. Kids could prepare for college or jobs and they could also take shop classes, home ec, art, music, sports, clubs, electives and have fun at sporting events and band. Now the pressure is on to take mandatory classes and test all the time under Common Core. There's no room for those classes where you can blow off steam and do woodworking or publish a school newspaper, because all the funds have been cut. Kids are pressured to perform and keep up or they face constant remediation and retesting. School is just a drag now, and many kids can't deal with the stress. Counselors have been cut, teachers don't have time to spend that extra 5 minutes after school listening to problems, so kids have no outlet for their emotions. Schools should be about caring for kids, not just testing them.

October 24, 2013 at 7:31 pm |

Violence is a terrible thing. Something normally happens to provoke violence but it isn't the answer! When you think about it, it only hurts you. If you need help, talk to a friend or an adult. That sounds like a cliché answer to your problems, but it really helps.

October 24, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
  74. sydney

I think violence in our schools is getting worse every day. People are made fun of because they are not the most picture perfect beauty queen and that's not fair. In our school we try to do anything we can to prevent bullying but its never enough. many people would say get a backbone and stand up for yourself......I don't agree to that at all, if you see someone being bullied YOU should stick up for them.

October 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
  75. Jihea

I think that the real happened case will come up first in our heads and we conclude our discussion with the conclusion that world has become more and more dangerous for us, general people, and for the school shooting, we say that recent teenagers are very audacious and cruel. For the people who do not carry the self-defensible weapons, we need to acquire any skill,such as eloquence or the martial sports, to avoid the worst case.

October 24, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
  76. Ivy

I agree. I am praying for the families who got hurt during these shootings. Also the families who lost a loved one.

October 24, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
  77. Carrissa

These shootings are awful, but I wonder how upset, angry, and mentally unstable these shooters have to be to hurt children. My prayers are with the victims and their families

October 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
  78. Anne

I think that schools should have about 3 police around the school just in case a other shooting happens or something else happen . Also schools should have a practice in case a shooting happens . Like they should plan what they have to do and where to go. They can hid in a classroom with everybody hiding somewhere, the door locked , the door window is blocked , and just in case they person gets in they should climb out the window to a other windows classroom

October 24, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
  79. Anthony

Each school, I don't care what is, needs a police officer; No question about that! That will act as a main deterrent. The school cameras should go straight to the police department so they can monitor danger. Also, each school needs to have a safety procedure and each student needs to know this up to the point where this dangerous person shows up to their classroom. Time to stop ignoring the problem and no more bandage solutions!

October 24, 2013 at 9:00 pm |
  80. Katie

All of the school shootings that have happened in the recent years are terrible. Sandy Hook, Collumbine, and the one in Nevada. When talking about school violence what comes to my mind is how could someone be so drawn to kill someone. I mean even the meanest person in the world hasn't done anything that bad for you to personally kill them. I also hope that if I am ever put in to the situation where my school is involved in a shooting I hope I will be brave enough to stand up like many students have in the past. Violence in schools is also becoming a big problem, and should be taken serious by teachers and officials.

October 24, 2013 at 9:16 pm |
  81. Drew

A lot of homework causes stress and I think its the stress that bends the kids out of shape and bullying may another reason school violence happens

October 24, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
  82. Jami

Before anyone jumps to conclusion and blame things such as Video games, TV shows, and even music. We have to realize it a lot more than that with school violence. Yes It could have been bullying and maybe more. The fact is we need to get out of our comfort zones it only making us weaker. The fact is the US need to step up to help bullied children and maybe get parent to sit down with kids. Some of this stuff we see is caused by very bad parenting

October 24, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
  83. Rainy

In my school, when I was in first period which is Science. They fight. And all of the people were fighting in my table,and I can't study.

October 24, 2013 at 11:21 pm |
  84. Jade

What concerns me the most is the fact that we're ignoring that these people shooting up schools are mentally unstable. Instead we choose to focus on gun laws, how about helping the mentally unstable that are actually the root of the problem?

October 24, 2013 at 11:59 pm |
  85. Brett

Violence is becoming more common by the moment. Physical bullying, killing teachers, we must do something about it. I'm afraid schools will become more strict if this continues.

October 25, 2013 at 8:47 am |
  86. Selena

Violence in schools was a huge deal the first time it happened, but people that aren't directly involved in it are starting to be numbed to these terrible events because they happen so often. We have to find a way for people that shouldn't have access to weapons don't get access to them.

October 25, 2013 at 11:11 am |
  87. Grant

I think the biggest threat hitting the American kids at school, is the mentally unstable men and woman behind the gun. More regulations need to be in place for mentally unstable to not get a gun.

October 25, 2013 at 11:15 am |
  88. Brent

When school violence comes up in conversations, religion and gun control comes up. Personally, I don't think the former has anything to dot with it but gun control may.

October 25, 2013 at 11:47 am |
  89. Brooklyn

what concerns me the most about school violence is dyeing or getting shot at

October 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
  90. Aracelie

What Concerns Me The Most Is Loosing One Of My Friends And Or Teachers ,

October 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • Dick

Noo Oone Deserves To Loose A Freind 😦

October 29, 2013 at 11:59 am |
  91. Nia

Well Its Wrong What they did its not right wat he did ...

October 25, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
  92. Matthew

I frankly just can't believe that kids would do that kind of thing to their colleges and friends. And the fact that they take their own life after is just sad.

October 25, 2013 at 10:03 pm |
  93. Malu

When I talk about school violence, it really makes me concerned since schools are trying to get kids live in a halcyon word as adults. I think school violence should be illegal.

October 25, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
  94. Rainy

Schools should do lock down for prepare it. We already have one last month.

October 25, 2013 at 11:45 pm |
  95. Paige

I cannot believe it was a twelve year old. I have a brother around that age... it makes it seem like these things can come from anyone and anywhere... that they could happen to any of us. I think that it is one of the saddest things to see kids pushed so far as to believe there is no other way out.

October 26, 2013 at 12:45 am |
  96. Anice

School violence is awful! It makes schools worser.

October 27, 2013 at 1:47 am |
    • Selena

I agree. "war is not the answer."(Percey Jakson. The Lighting Theft.) The quote is from Athena. She said this in the movie

October 29, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
      • Annie

I totally agree even though his name is Percy Jackson and its The Lightning Thief.

A side from that he teaches people that sometimes violence is not the answer. There are simpler ways to handle situations with out hurting or offending anyone. If these people could just realize that maybe there wouldn't be so much violence.

October 30, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
  97. laura

I think the whole bullying thing is blown way out of proportion these days! I am not saying that bullying does not happen, however i find nowadays that even if someone has a difference of opinion or if someone has a falling out or disagreement with someone else it is labeled as bullying. This is like the boy who cried wolf. Just because you dont get along with someone, it doesnt mean that it is bullying. I feel that takes away the severity of true bullying. More needs to be done on teaching kids how to deal with it and how to stop it happening them. We are not a society of victims so people need to learn to stand up for themselves and if it is happening online then they need to learn to stop going on those sites of reading the comments. Suicide is never the answer it is a selfish way to die, and to be honest i dont think that it is bullying that makes these kids commit suicide, it is more their mental health. 1000's of kids are bullied and dont kill themselves so there is definitly an underlying problem and not just the bullying.

October 27, 2013 at 11:43 am |
  98. Sindy

If parents could go back to disciplining children without worrying about their kids being taken away, bullying, school violence, and respect for others would come back. Now days if you say no to your child in a store, you have someone come up to you and tell you what a horrible parent you are. Let parents say No to our kids, take privileges away, put kids in time out, give them curfews, and maybe even yell at an unruly child. Betcha the violence and bullying decrease and others start caring about each other again. We cannot go on being ME ME country! Its US TOGETHER SUPPORTING EACH OTHER! We have Bullying is wrong program every day before school yet bullying is horrible and the teachers here really don't care. So sad! After my friend killed herself, the bullying has gotten worse here. Her death did nothing to stop the bullying as the school wouldn't even let us have a ceremony in school for her. They swept it under the rug. Make a law that says if you have a gun, the police can do random checks to see that your guns are kept in a locked gun case. Unless you hunt animals, why do you even need a gun?? Hug someone you are NOT related to today!

October 27, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
  99. Mari

I'm a teacher and over the years I notice students, your children, becoming less tolerant, less polite, meaner, and harder as each year passes. The problem? Parental guidance and a me first attitude. I only look at the parent's attitude to find the child mimicking what their parent does and say. This leads to children believing they are justified in their bad behavior. Some then take this too far and use weapons to make their point.

October 27, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
  100. Peter

What concerns me the most is the accessibility that kids have to weapons, and the amount of desensitizing gun violence evokes. Guns and violence are, now, so common-place that we become less horrified every time this happens.

October 27, 2013 at 9:30 pm |
  101. Willard

How is taking away guns from people going to solve anything? Are the criminals just going to hand over their guns as well? Owning guns is a right, not a privilege, maybe in large cities such as New York, they may have shootings, and also, one thing I don't get, is that how is a shooting in a school, any different than a shooting on the street. They are both tragedies and one should not get more publicity just because it is in a different building.

October 27, 2013 at 11:52 pm |
    • Abby

Your right, the guns aren't the problem. Its the people that have them, but taking away the guns will also stop the people from using them and therefore end the violence that is happening.

October 28, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
      • Selena

YOUR WRONG. BULLYING AND GUNS ARE THE PROBLEM.

October 29, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
  102. Darius

I feel it starts at home and then from there it becomes the child who must decide, do they really want to distract other students with their actions?Also if you have self–discipline and decent communication skills any situation should be able to be talked about and conversed to solve the problem. And sometimes telling the bully your not going to tolerate them anymore works. Use your words.

October 28, 2013 at 2:22 am |
  103. anonymous

A friend of mine died not too long ago. She hung herself BECAUSE of the bullying

October 28, 2013 at 6:16 am |
  104. Christine

I think that school violence needs to be stopped. Kids can get away with almost anything if their parents or teachers don't punish them. Some kids at my school screw around in class and almost no teacher cares or stops them. These kinds of things need to be addressed. Kids can't just walk around without a care in the world. the girls that bullied her didn't care and weren't punished when the bullying started. This should have been stopped before it even started. The girl killed herself because she didn't see any end to the bullying. No child should be bullied and not see any end. That is not right. When a student is being bullied and the mother has to pull her child out of school just because it is that bad then you know something is wrong with these kids. This problem went unnoticed by the school which says something. To me it says that we need to punish our kids so that they know right from wrong these girls, didn't know right form wrong and wouldn't even if they had signs saying which was which. They would go right to the wrong choice and that is because of bad parenting. I hope that the bullying stops so the suicides stop. No one should have to kill themselves to find peace.

October 28, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
  105. Abby

Violence is something that schools don't handle enough. There needs to be teachers in the hallways, in the bathrooms, through out the cafeterias, and everywhere else during passing periods. They aren't always present during the most crucial times. Students are resorting to things that they shouldn't even be allowed to see let alone touch, such as bringing a gun or knife to school. When it comes up in my house or at school its awkward and not serious like it should be. It needs to end. Now.

October 28, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  106. Ryan

All school shootings are bad and devestating to victims families. But just remember, everything happens for a reason.

October 28, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
  107. AJ

i think kids should not have access to weapons this is what causes all of our daily problems

October 28, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
  108. Phillip

I'll tell you what we need to fix. Box cutters. We need a nation-wide ban on these lethal weapons. Getting sick of tuning into the news only to hear yet another murder by this stupid excuse for a switch blade. Sign my petition to outlaw them.

October 29, 2013 at 11:53 am |
  109. jose

a weapon is good and bad

October 29, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
  110. Evelyn

I think that guns and things like that in school is quite annoying. The people that bring weapons to school are doing it to show off. And trying to be cool. but the truth is it would end you in prison. My school thankfully has never had any problems with weapons. And no wants to. Violence in school is also a bad fault of the parents. who have guns around us kids and teens. and who let there kids have a guns. They probably know what is going to happen to there child. So i say no more violence in school......

October 29, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
  111. Selena

Everytime there is violence in schools on the news, my mom tells me what to do if it ever happened to me. I just don't understand people. If you want violence, go take you and your violence away, but please don't take it out on us kids.

October 29, 2013 at 8:37 pm |
  112. Selena

I have been bullyed myself. WE KIDS DIE ALMOST EVERYDAY THANKS TO BULLYING!!!!

October 29, 2013 at 8:41 pm |
  113. richard

I think it may be with bigger schools the bigger there are the more bullys there are and there is a higher chance that may happen.

October 30, 2013 at 9:39 am |
  114. Austin

the only school violents that i know of is bullying, but i dont see it much

October 30, 2013 at 9:39 am |
  115. Lindsey

Violence is becoming worse in schools, day by day. Violence in schools is something that will not stop, bullying in school has tried to be stopped & everything schools do to stop it, it's just never enough. What actually concerns me the most is students that get bullied and feels so bad about their self, they take their own life. Which bullying in some cases causes the rates of suicide to go up.

October 30, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  116. Kassandra

My concerning come to the point of the shootings in school. Their where many lives that where taken away from the violence that occurred in them school. To those students who are ignorant in bringing weapons to school, thinking that they are cool. That is considered violence, because you terrorize people. I really think that as well as parents who have weapons at their house should really be consider of having them at or or a safe place by having children at their house.

October 30, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  117. David

when dealing with school violence i think it is crazy. i watched degrassi i was scared when that dude got shot and paralyzed i am scared.

October 30, 2013 at 9:43 am |
  118. Maliq

The first thing that comes up is school shootings that occurred in the past couple years or so.

October 30, 2013 at 9:45 am |
  119. Diana

I am really concerned about violence in places where they shouldn't be, especially in school. Young people are trying to get an education in a place where they least expect any form of violence. And these kids are young and innocent. I would hate it and I would be terrified.

October 30, 2013 at 9:45 am |
  120. lazaro

i think that kid should not have guns with them it not a right thing to have a lot of poeple get harm use or in hand of poeple with gun come to school why with a kid like to spet there rest of there life in prison he can also get kill kid must no harm other kid

October 30, 2013 at 9:50 am |
  121. samson

i belive if people would stand up for them selves the bully will leave them alone sooner or later. i like pancakes

October 30, 2013 at 11:15 am |
  122. Bradley

I think the school violence has got worse in the past year. they should upgrade security and check kids and even parents of all ages. Also have metal devices so guns can't get in. But finally they should have a time in school were people come over and talk with the kids about their problems and help them.

October 30, 2013 at 11:16 am |
  123. Sierra

Well I think students shouldn't even have weapons at a young age anyway. The only way they should be able to handle stuff like that is if they have an permit or an adult is with them and actually paying them some attention.

October 30, 2013 at 11:17 am |
  124. thomas

i think they should stop the violance and they should take a lot of different things going on with the world i think they should not be violance or bulling in schools

October 30, 2013 at 11:18 am |
  125. Jessica

Violence in school is a shame. You should feel safe in school and then innocent people get hurt over some kids struggles. That's why to solve this everyone should get checked for weapons everyday including teachers.

October 30, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  126. Shantana

What concerns my the most is the bullying because students is killing there self .

October 30, 2013 at 11:20 am |
  127. Luke

i thank bullies , bully people is because that center person lets them do it to them so im saying stand up for your self an don't let them push u around , it will stop soon or later.

October 30, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  128. Kaye

When I talk to people or my parents about violence in schools, safety is always the main thing that comes first. Parents want their child to be safe and protected.

October 30, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  129. Ro'darius

school violence is a big problem in school because students don't know wither to flight back or don't but best thing to do is to tell a adult or teacher if nothing happens take matters in your own hand defend your self because violence leads to other problem

October 30, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  130. Alysia

I think kids shouldn't have accesses to a weapon because the problems and violence's that we have today....

October 30, 2013 at 11:23 am |
  131. Jaye

School violence is no laughing matter. It's bad to see school violence because so many innocent children, and adults get hurt. I think that school violence isn't cute some kids mostly the ones involved think it's cute and somewhat makes them tough, but it just leads to bigger things that could scar them for life and potentially hurt someone. When my mom and I are talking about school violence it worries us that could one day the children who get hurt. Our school is big on violence I try to isolate myself from drama.

October 30, 2013 at 11:23 am |
  132. Joshalin

My Concern About Violence Is School is That Young Students Are The Ones Who Deals With The Consequences. Violence Occurs In Places Where They Shouldn't Be, Especially In School. Some Of The Young Students In School Are Trying To Get An Education But They Can't If Violence Occurs. That Makes The Students Afraid And Scared To Go To School. Also Some Students Bring Weapons To School Because Of These Actions Young Students Are Terrified To Come To School. The Majority Of The Times Thats Why People Move Alot.

October 30, 2013 at 11:31 am |
  133. Sofi

There are disavantages and advantages for weapons. The advantages are, to protect yourself from someone that breaks in your classroom, someone trying to shoot you or hurt you. But the disadvantages are you shooting the wrong person, or the weaopon situation can get out of hand. I personally think that the teachers should be trained to have a weapon with them.

October 30, 2013 at 11:32 am |
  134. Zariaa

take away guns and violent will stop .. ^_____^

October 30, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
    • Nathan

Taking the guns away wont take away the problem. Are drugs gone because they're illegal? No, so why would guns go away if they were illegal?

October 31, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
  135. Megan

Kids Should stand up for themselves School Violence is crazy because it can become it to something bigger than it started it becomes a riot then the kids that wasn't in it might get in it most school violence Comes from rumors or hating on some one

October 30, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
  136. koya

School violence has changed. But aslo school has changed too. People are alot more violent now days. But i dont know why.

October 30, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
  137. Sha-Tara

Bullying, weapons, fighting, and etc. Is what comes to mind when thinking about school violence. I feel everyone should feel safe at school. Not worry about if the a going to get hurt. school suppose to be a fun learning environment.

October 30, 2013 at 1:23 pm |

School shootings and bullying concerns me the most. School shootings are beginning to be common. I think if we would have never took prayer out of schhols, this wouldnt have happen. Bullying is another act of violence that concerns me the most and i feel if you see this things happening around you then you should be the bigger person and stand up and say something.

October 30, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
  139. zaria

Alot of violence that happens in school is mostly caused by bullying. If teachers cut down and encourage students to speak up most of the violence would stop.

October 30, 2013 at 1:25 pm |
  140. stephen

i think that it is bad for people get bullyed

October 30, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
  141. Raekwon

i think violence is wrong..

October 30, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  142. Catilyn

When I talk to my famiily or peers about school violence, the first question I refer to is what was the child's behavior before the incident occured, and what is the child's home-life like? What concerns me the most is having a student that attends my school would try to attempt to bring a gun to school or try to make a some kind of disruption during school hours.

October 30, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
  143. romana

My thoughts about this subject are , what are schools doing to prevent these events? I believe teachers need to talk more with their students and that may prevent school threats. students that caused the past school tragedies must of needed someone to talk to. schools that have officers and other types of safety could prevent any other events.

October 30, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
  144. elizabeth

I think that no one should be bully because it is not pretty to be bullied.

October 30, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
  145. Hayden

Only thing that comes up in my mind is the shootings and killings in schools. Such as the ones in Massachusetts and Connecticut. Nothing major has happened in schools around my area, just fights and disagreements. I think that violence in schools is increasing, there's been more news on T.V. about school violence lately.

October 30, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
  146. ambrosia

some of things that cause violence in schools is bullying. bullying can cause people to acted out in violence which shows up in schools and at home as well.

October 30, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
  147. A"Kauryana

School violence is definitely something that should be in the news . Everyone needs to realize it is not a joke. Teachers would have to defend their students with nothing . All other reinforcements have weapons . School Violence should be STOPPED!

October 30, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
  148. Allison

I don't know how my school would manage to handle something that intense. I pray that it doesn't happen anymore.

October 30, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
  149. madi

i think that only people 18+ should be permitted legally to have any kind of gun.

October 31, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
  150. NaThAn

School violence needs to be stopped, and I definitely think that in the news they need to expose some of the horrible things that happen during school shootings, as it would make people more aware of the consequences of a shooting and the horrific imagery that happens with it. I don't think many people actually think about how bad school shootings are, and that school shootings "aren't a big deal because so little people actually die" which I think is horrible because everybody has family in their lives, whether blood or not and it effects them as well as the friends they had at the school.

October 31, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
  151. Kate

What concerns me most about violence in schools is that some kids enjoy violence. Some kids don't have a problem with violence and hurting other people and the thought of this is very daunting.Additionally, violence can be prevented by following the rules. The sad thing about this is that many people don't follow the rules and many problems come from this. One example is bullying. Many schools have a no bullying rule even though some people don't go by it. Bullying leads to violence and when someone bullies someone it has a effect on more than just one person.

October 31, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
  152. Eric

I think in todays world it is a problem and should be stoped and or prevented as soon as possible

November 1, 2013 at 9:45 am |
  153. maddie

There is a lot of school shootings. In an emergency to just find a place to hide and stay there if someone has a gun. Then come out after the police have come and you know it is safe

November 1, 2013 at 9:46 am |
  154. Eli

I think that there's violence in school because of bullying. There comes a point that one is bullied so much that they hit their breaking point and come to school the next day with a gun. Then again, it's not the guns that kill people, it the people with the guns.

November 1, 2013 at 9:47 am |
  155. Logan

People have the right to own guns. It's the people killing people it's not the guns. Little kids should not be allowed to use automatic guns.

November 1, 2013 at 9:47 am |
  156. Gage

It is a terrible thing. Not knowing whats going on or even if you will survive. Sure we all have drills but no matter how many drills you've it would be by far the most fearful thing in my life.

November 1, 2013 at 9:47 am |
  157. Thomas

I think that the biggest issues on school violence are all of the shootings. I believe that if each of the teachers took a firearms saftey course, they should have the oppourtunity to carry a handgun.

November 1, 2013 at 9:47 am |
  158. Ethan

I think nobody should bring a gun to school but I think people can own guns.

November 1, 2013 at 9:47 am |
  159. Mikhayla

I think that its sad that people are resorting to these types of tactics in schools. If its that easy to get a gun into these schools then its also partially the schools fault. The students that are doing this are probably ignored and depressed.

November 1, 2013 at 9:48 am |
    • Ken

I completely agree with all you guys

November 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
  160. Teresa

Although school shootings are awful, I think the new laws are too strict. Saying guns kill people is like saying pencil write words.

November 1, 2013 at 9:48 am |
  161. Sami

The thing that people can be scary. They can and may get away with things that may be dangerous.

November 1, 2013 at 9:48 am |
  162. Rosemary

When my friends and I talk about school violence, we usually think what were they trying to acheive? But people sometimes cause trouble because they dont know better.

November 1, 2013 at 9:48 am |
  163. Rose

Violence and schools do not mix. I think we need to take forth the issue and look at what's going on. Its just a matter of time till my school has a shooting or lockdown.

November 1, 2013 at 9:49 am |

School violence is a very bad thing in my oppinon. Where I come from there has been over 10 suicides within 12 years most of them due to bullying. Bullying leads to violence. So I think in order to stop school violence we as a country need to stop bullying!!

November 1, 2013 at 9:50 am |
  165. jen

It's terrible that people are bullying others.

November 1, 2013 at 9:53 am |
  166. Ciara

what mostly comes up is gun violence. School shootings. its ignorance. hurting children is not ok, dont hurt others or your self. make a good decision! life gets better, so if somethings getting you down dont take it out on others, talk about. you'll get through it.

November 1, 2013 at 9:54 am |
  167. Nicolette

When i think about violence in school I think about how could this have been stopped? Obviously the thoughts of coming to school one day and deciding to shoot people doesn't happen overnight. As a school, teachers, principals, and counselors should be on top of any actions that don't seem right. They should paying more attention to the students and talking to them instead of (even though not all teachers do this) just teaching a lesson and acting like everything is all right. It is not just a student but it is also the people around the students that should be taking precautions.

November 2, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
  168. Jade

School violence is not something to joke about. Bullies now a days wont stop after a teacher or principle conferences them, suspend them, or expel them. What they don't relies is that them kid(s) who is getting bully may not be able to ignore it, They might take their words as something serious. They might even kill them self like a lot of kids have been doing. Its not fair for them to get over whelmed with the bullying and think they have to kill them self to stop it. School violence should be stopped, fast, before more kids kill or hurt them selves.

November 2, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
  169. Clayton

VIolence in schools is a serious thing, but we should stop glorifying these incidents in the media.

November 4, 2013 at 10:12 am |
  170. Casey

School Violence is not something to mess around with, violenece in schools can lead to a lot of problems for the school its self, but for the people being affected by it is something much worse it breaks people down inside and on the outside as well. The parents of the children being affected are going to be consired about the safety of child being at school, school is suppose to be a place where education can happen in a safe and nuturing enviroment, not where kid(s) are scared to go to school because of what they saw on the news or the other kid(s) at their school bullying them.

November 4, 2013 at 10:17 am |
  171. Abdiel

School violance is Ridiculous. School is for learning and have a great time with your friends, not for fights and drama things. Please have a great teenager time and stop fighting for non important things that won't be useful in the future.

November 4, 2013 at 10:19 am |
  172. christian

school violence is bad

November 4, 2013 at 10:19 am |
  173. Lydia

Violence in schools isn't something people should joke about. It is a big problem that needs to be solved so other people dont get hur or killed.

November 4, 2013 at 10:20 am |
  174. Jordyn

Im mostly concerned about the safety of all kids and even high school students. Bullies feed off of innocent children, and most of the time the child is to scared to go to the school about it. Or the bully has threatened them. And even if the school gets involved they say okay , 10 days out of school suspension. Which doesnt solve antything because most likely the child will still be bullied. School violence should be taken way more seriously than it is being taken. So many families have to go through their child commiting suicide due to a bully.. thats just not right at all. Something needs to be done about school violence!

November 4, 2013 at 10:22 am |
  175. christopher

School violence is bad and if teachers her about a fight they should do something right away and not when it has already happend.

November 4, 2013 at 10:26 am |
  176. Dominic

Violence in school is nothing to joke about, and is a serious problem, but the biggest problem is the schools administrations horrible approaches to the situations and the Medias glorification of it and blaming gun owners such as myself.

November 4, 2013 at 10:26 am |
  177. Dan

I think violence is schools is dumb. You go there to learn and you wanna get it over and done with, why would you wanna spend more time there fighting.

November 4, 2013 at 10:27 am |
  178. Blake

it depends on what school you go too.

November 4, 2013 at 10:28 am |
  179. Brittany

When I talk about school violence with friends/family it really gets us thinking because with some kids they may joke about how they want to harm the school, but sometimes you never really know if they are going to do anything or not because most of the time kids wont show that they are going to do anything....They kind of just do it. And that kind of a big thing to be concerned about because you never really know when anything is going to happen.

November 4, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
  180. Blaine

You can preach all day about school violance and guns, but in reality, does it really affect or stop this violance from happening?

November 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
  181. Savannah

When I talk about violence in school with family and friends two things seem to come up the most, bullying and drama. This concerns me because not only is it wrong but it could put people in harms way.

November 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
  182. eric

November 4, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  183. Bailey

school violence needs to stop. because it leads to bullying.

November 4, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  184. Brooke

Violence happens everywhere, Schools Homes and in Shopping Stores. How you deal with it is in your own choice not anyone elses. Honestly, Violence in Schools is a stupid idea because it just gets put on your records and can affect what you do with your life.

November 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
  185. Steven

Violence in school is nothing to joke about, and is a serious problem, but the biggest problem is the schools administrations horrible approaches to the situations and the Medias glorification of it and blaming gun owners.

November 4, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
  186. Jordyn

I think school violence needs to stop, there is to many kids nowadays killing thereselves..over poeples hurtful words...they need to do something more...something bigger about surporting bullying!!!!! ❤

November 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
  187. Katlyn

I think it is just Heartbreaking to think that kids have been pushed around so much to cause a scene like that ...

November 4, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
  188. Josh

The scariest thing about school violence is that it can happen at any time. It is very easy for a student to bring a weapon in their school bag. The only thing authorities can do is stop it AFTER it begins.

November 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm |
  189. Madison

Violence in schools is horrible. Ownership of guns plays a part but it is not the only reason. People who are not mentally healthy need to be able to get the help they need and violent video games should not be allowed. That was a huge cause in the shootings at the movie theater in Colorado. These factors should really be taken into account.

November 4, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
  190. Shannon

I would say that violence in any school should not be permitted, and there should honestly be no reason for amyone on school grounds to get violent in the first place. Why can't kids just learn to get along with each other?

November 4, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
  191. Joshua

When you talk about school violence it can take some turns like shootings to fights. Fights are less concerning then shootings but both have a big impact on the students and the school and shouldn't be taken lightly.

November 4, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
  192. Kaity

In all honesty there is no way to prevent bullying. No matter what you do, it's going to happen to some people. Bullying in public has gone down a lot and most of the bullying happens online whether it's annonymous or not. I don't agree with bullying whats so ever. If you don't like someone just ignore them, don't talk bad about them or try to pick on them. You have no clue what goes on in that person's life. In some cases teens have commited suicide from thinking way too much of what is happening to them when they are getting picked on. Suicide IS NOT the answer and some people need to know that. If you have a problem talk it out to someone or get help. If you see someone getting bullied whether you like them or not stick up for them because you never know if you may have saved their life; saving someone's life is an amazing feeling to have... Just knowing you're somewhat a hero to them. Also some people bully others because they have nothing better to do or they just have a bad home. If that's you, just rethink everything. Don't put it out on someone else who has done nothing to cause whatever it is you are going through.

November 4, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
  193. Kyrie`

It's ridiculous that there is bullying in schools. Why even bother going out of your way to put someone down? What could anybody possibly gain out of that? Self-confidence? No. All that does is make you look like a jerk. You're not 'cool' by doing so. And, for those who are being bullied, suicide isn't going to solve your problems. To be honest, it just means you're running away from them. Don't let people walk all over you. Stand up, and speak your mind.

November 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
  194. Kilahni

violence is good when you need to defend yourself ...but if its unneccessary violence theres no need for it get a teacher to handle the situation.

November 4, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
  195. Kyle

I think violence is really ridiculous. If you have some problems just take it out on something you know you cant harm. All fighting others does is get you in trouble. Of course when you need to, you can use slef defense if someone harms you first then humanely protect yourself.

November 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
  196. Shea

One of the reasons theres so much violence in schools is because when a student tells a teacher somethings going on, the teacher does not do anything about it. Therefor the student takes it upon themselves to solve the problem. Not every school is filled with violence, but a lot are. nobody actually takes the shootings/bullying serious until its happening at their own school.

November 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm |