.
October 22nd, 2013

Your View: The U.S. Economy

Is the U.S. economy:

On Wednesday, you'll hear about a couple of different indicators related to the U.S. economy.  And we report on how Americans responded to a recent poll about it.

We're also doing an informal poll of our own:  Do you think the economy is getting better, getting worse, or staying the same?

CNN Student News

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Hana

It is slowly getting better because the stock market is rising and the unemployment is getting better.

October 22, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
  2. Andrew

I think the only way the economy could get much better is when Obama steps down.

October 22, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
  3. tyler

its getting back up there but it will take some time but it will.

October 22, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
  4. Grace

I do not believe it is getting better but the democrats and the republicans need to come up with a decision and fast.

October 22, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
  5. Tate

I personally think the U.S. economy is getting worse, because of the government shutdown and all the debts the U.S. needs to pay. Its not that much Obama's fault, but it is mainly congresses. I think the U.S. can hang on.

October 22, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
  6. William

The country is 16 trillion dollars in debt, once we rid that debt or start to pay most of it back, our economy will get better. We cannot afford to give everyone government services if we want to get out of debt, and strengthen our economy.

October 22, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
    • Andrew

I agree. Both political parties are to blame, and the younger population will eventually have to pay the taxes to pay off the debt, so I hope that the debt gets solved sustainably soon.

October 23, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
  7. brandon

it is dropping because we are slowly going in dept

October 22, 2013 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Monroe

I say the us economy is getting worse lots of people are unemployed . Their not getting their Medicare and ect.. Te economy needs to be better

October 23, 2013 at 7:55 am |
  9. Nathaniel

I think that national debt is the biggest obstacle that we have right now in order to have a healthy economy. If we can overcome this roadblock, then our economy will definitely be on the rise.

October 23, 2013 at 8:38 am |
  10. Cody

What a lot of people do not realize is that the unemployment rate documents the amount of people without work who are actively looking for another job. The job growth rate is not substatial compared to the amount of people who are not actively looking for jobs. The sad reality is a lot of people stop looking because the realize that they can extort the government entitlement programs for their own personal gain. With no incentives for work, people will not look for jobs and will continue to live off of tax payer money and the non existent government funds. At this rate we will never pay off our deficit and the economy will surely fail in our lifetime. If we don't start to educate those who do not have a skill set or give more tax benefits to buisnesses of all sizes to promote more employment, people will not be able to help themselves. We must end this mindset that the government will eternally take care of you and pay your bills just because you don't want to look for a job because we can not afford this much longer. This is not a socialistic country and there is way too much governmental dependence in people who do not need it.

October 23, 2013 at 9:44 am |
    • Cody

On another note, entitlement programs currently take up 62% of our federal yearly budget. This will continue to grow yearly until it consumes our funding diging us deeper into debt. This is not only an economic matter but a threat to national security. Its time to make some changes economically and to our entitlement programs before we get ourselves into something we cannot recover from.

October 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
  11. Jessica

I think the U.S. economy is staying the same. I don't really see to much of a difference. Everybody that was down before is still down and everybody that was up is still up.

October 23, 2013 at 10:16 am |
  12. Luke

i dont thank its getting much better but the people are trying to find jobs but with no jobs its only gonna get worse

October 23, 2013 at 10:17 am |
  13. Tyler

its kinda getting better but at the same time its getting worse cause of people not getting a job. but the stock market is rising a little bit

October 23, 2013 at 10:17 am |
  14. Shantana

I think its staying the same i really don't see a different

October 23, 2013 at 10:17 am |
  15. Kaye

I think the economy is getting worst and not better. We're still in debt and we owe China 7 billion dollars that we borrowed. I don't think we are able to pay them back anytime soon neither.

October 23, 2013 at 10:18 am |
  16. Sofi

I think it's the same, it's not getting better nor worst. Some people are struggling and some are better. The way my family is, its stayed the same. We aren't stuggling but we need to keep our money tight.so my personal opinion is that it stayed the same.

October 23, 2013 at 10:23 am |
  17. Bradley

it has got better cause right after the shut down was over they had about over 100,000 jobs openings causing unemployment rates to go down and stock markets are rising.

October 23, 2013 at 10:24 am |
  18. Jaye

In my opinion the economy is getting worse. The reason I say worse is because it seems like the unemployment rate is increasing instead of decreasing. It appears to be falling apart. It seems as If government assisstance is going to fade out sooner or later so there goes some of the population. Government officials are fighting over team decisions.

October 23, 2013 at 10:26 am |
  19. Ro'darius

its getting a little better because unemployment is rising and the president is getting Obama care together so that all American can have health insurance and that's good because their is a lot of people who don't have it and unemployment has rose a lot so things are getting better

October 23, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • Andrew

However, Obamacare does not provide everyone with free health insurance, so really it doesn't help the economy.

October 23, 2013 at 5:16 pm |
  20. Alysia

its getting worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 23, 2013 at 10:29 am |
  21. Sierra

Its getting worse !!!!!!!!

October 23, 2013 at 10:30 am |
  22. Joshalin

In My Opinion I Think The Economy Is Still The Same. Because There Are Still People Unemployeed. Families Are Still Suffering Because They Don't Have A Job And They Are Nothing Getting Paid. These Families Need The Money To Pay There Bills And Food. The Economy Is Still In The Same Situation That They Need Money to Pay People And To Pay Other Stuff.

October 23, 2013 at 10:32 am |
  23. Zach

II think it is staying the same because the government isn't doing anything about it.

October 23, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  24. clay

II think that is is staying the same because I am playing the stock market game, and the stocks are not moving much.

October 23, 2013 at 10:45 am |
  25. Jay

I think that the economy is getting worse because Congress can't agree on anything and that is effecting the economy. Then again, Congress made a decision on the shutdown, so that made things a little better.

October 23, 2013 at 10:45 am |
  26. Mackenzie

I am playing the stock market game and my teams stocks are slowly, but continuously, going up. But I believe its staying about the same.

October 23, 2013 at 10:46 am |

I am playing the stock market game and the so far, our team is in the lead of our classes two groups. we are slowly but surely getting up to the lead of the game. I believe that the economy is getting worse.

October 23, 2013 at 10:48 am |
  28. Maria

I don't think the economy is getting better, considering that the poverty rate is going higher slowly and unemployment getting higher also. The debt of this country is getting dangerously high and I think it's going to be our great-great-grandchildren still paying our debt. Obama, in my opinion, is just about the worst president we've ever had in the history of the U.S.A. I think the only positive thing of our economy is that some parts of the economy are going up but just a little. The other part of our economy is going down, badly.

October 23, 2013 at 11:01 am |
  29. Katie

II think we are staying the same because, in my perspective, our country's economy hasn't changed dramatically. Yes, there is unemployment ,but there has always been as long as I can remember. Also, I play The Stock Market Game and from what I have observed, not many stocks are skyrocketing.

October 23, 2013 at 11:08 am |
  30. A"Kauryana

The debt ceiling is rising terribly . they should start paying back what they owe . The president needs to get a hold on it.

October 23, 2013 at 11:17 am |
  31. stephen

i do not think the economy is not get any better

October 23, 2013 at 11:21 am |
  32. zaria

I think it is getting a little better because president Obama is changing things all over this are beginning to get a little better for everyone

October 23, 2013 at 11:21 am |
  33. Stephen

Its Getting Worse For All People.

October 23, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  34. romana

i think that the economy is getting worse, if it were getting better than the government shutdown would not of happened. The government is going to be in even more debt than before if they raise the debt ceiling.

October 23, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  35. Catilyn

In my opinion, I think that our economy is getting worse, because of increasing rate of unemployment, the amount of exports and imports that are leaving and entering our country, our country's debt and other situations that are affecting our economy.

October 23, 2013 at 11:24 am |

I think Obama is making the economy worser by giving obama care to everyone. Some people lay around all day on their rumps and dont do anything because they know obama is gonna take care of them. In think he needs to be removed from president

October 23, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  37. Matt

The Economy seems to be getting worse but it will show signs of deterioration soon. With more of Obama's agenda going into effect it puts a lot of the cost burden generally on the shoulders of a single generation. This is the same generation saddled with high student loan debt and poor job prospects, but all these new agendas are dependent on one generation to make them work. This is the same generation that is NOT buying houses and NOT buying cars, and NOT starting families because they cannot afford too. Add on the cost of FORCED healthcare while struggling to pay student loans, rent, gas, food, and heat do not make it extremely difficult for people to get ahead. The rebuilding of our economy will waste an entire generation that COULD improve the economy by spending money if they only had it and were not the root of all these new plans being successful.

October 23, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  38. koya

I think he is making everything worse. He should have never been in the office.We have enough money problems and all he is doing is adding to it

October 23, 2013 at 11:25 am |
  39. elizabeth

I think the economy it is getting worse becuse of the shutdown there has been people working there now they do not have a job and how are they going to pay there bills and how are they going to pay there bill of there car and the food and maybe they have to pay rent to.

October 23, 2013 at 11:26 am |
  40. Raekwon

worse for sure..

October 23, 2013 at 11:26 am |
  41. bobby

i dont think the economy is getting better because we have such a high unemolyment rate.

October 23, 2013 at 11:26 am |
  42. Hayden

I think it's getting worse because people are unemployed. Some people that run businesses also have lost a lot of business. A bunch of people are down from this.

October 23, 2013 at 11:28 am |
  43. Andrew

In my honest opinion, I do not think our economy is getting better. Even the past Black Friday's every year have a lesser amount of deal savings which always indicates that the economy is not doing well. If the economy is doing well, then there would be better deals because there would be more people wanting to spend money. Also, the unemployment rate is not decreasing enough as it should.

October 23, 2013 at 11:34 am |
  44. TeNeil

In my opinion, I don't think the economy is getting any better. In some ways you can see improvements but in most ways, you can't. I think that the economy will get better if Obama would step down and if the democrats and republicans would come up with a plan.

October 23, 2013 at 11:35 am |
  45. Sha-Tara

I feel that it is getting a little better and worst. Unemployment rates are going down and stock markets are rising. But this was after the shutdown was closed.

October 23, 2013 at 11:37 am |
  46. Dennis

The economy is not even close to good. We are trillions of dollars in debt. It is an embarrassment, really.

October 23, 2013 at 11:45 am |
  47. Dennis

The economy is definitely in trouble, considering how much the stock market prices have gone up.

October 23, 2013 at 11:47 am |
  48. Dennis

The economy is only getting worse, and I believe it's the Obamacare. I am just worried about the further generations. I don't want my kids to have to worry about paying off my debt!

October 23, 2013 at 11:49 am |
  49. Jake

Right at this moment in time the economy is junk. We can fix it and make it strong again, but that will take time which we may never see for a while. If we could come together and work as 1 it could get done faster.

October 23, 2013 at 11:57 am |

I honestly don't think its getting better! After what I have herd in class and on the news there is no way its better. Thats just a fact..

October 23, 2013 at 11:58 am |
  51. Brandon

In my opinion I think the economy is getting better. It may not be noticed right away but, gradually, it is getting better. Some people think that it's getting worse but they don't understand that it's not all Obama. There are other people working under him that could be dragging everything down.

October 23, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
  52. Jaci (pronounced Jaysee)

It's hard to say because the economy keeps fluctuating. one minute it's getting better, the next it's a big problem and something happens so it all goes south. in my opinion, the economy is bad for the moment, but i'm optimistic for the future.

October 23, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
  53. Jaymie

I personally think that the economy has hit a plateau. I believe that with the condition the economy is in today, that this will be the new "norm", throughout my lifetime anyway.

October 23, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  54. Barent

i think it is getting better because i'm playing the stock market game and we were in 506 and now were in 21 so i think it's going to get back up there

October 23, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
  55. Carson

i think the U.S. economy is showing signs of improvement, but uncertainty keeps consumers wary of making some purchases. My friend Ethan and Ian are looking for ways to help the economy do good.

October 23, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
  56. Connor

I play the stock market game, my team was almost in last and when the government shutdown ended we shot up over 500 places. That is why i think it is getting better because we made a lot more money.

October 23, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
  57. Rebecca

I belive that it is getting better slowly because, I play the stock market game and the stocks prices are going up, but The income from the stocks are low and gradually increasing to a higher profit.

October 23, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
  58. Jenna

I think that the economy is doing good because the stocks are getting better each day we started really bad but were improving as the econmy is improving so we are moving with economy getting better and better.

October 23, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
  59. Jenna

I think that the economy is doing good because the stocks are getting better each day we started really bad but were improving as the economy is improving so we are moving with economy getting better and better.

October 23, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
  60. Kendra

I think the economony is,isn't, and staying the same at getting better because as i play the stock market game some of my stocks are really good some of my stocks aren't exactly perfect and some are really bad but at this point in time it could go eaither way if you look at it the way i look at it.

October 23, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
  61. Hailey

Well, I believe that it is getting worse, because of everything that has happened in the past years. Well like what just happened the government shut-down. Also like how the there are so many people that don't have jobs or can't do anything because they don't have jobs and they have to pay bills.

October 23, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
  62. Jose

The economy is getting worse. There are seniors who graduated last year who don't have a job. It's obligatory to go to college to get a job. Without a job, you can't get anywhere in life!

October 23, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
  63. Javier

The economy's getting worse because they are sending money to people in other countries who don't need it!

October 23, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
  64. Sergio

The economy is getting worse because prices are rising on everything. Gas and groceries take everything my mom makes. There's no money for anything that I want.

October 23, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
  65. Javier

The economy is getting worse because they keep sending money to other places when we need it here.

October 23, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
  66. jose

the economy is getting worse. the government is giving money to people that dont need it or people that have lots of money.
    most high school graduates dont have a job due to government. now these days its obligatory to go to college in order to get a job. without a job you wont get nowhere in life.

October 23, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
  67. brady

i think it's getting worse from the goverment shutdown or something

October 23, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
  68. Sarah

It seems as though our economy is getting worse and worse. From the government shutdown to our huge debt problem, its looking pretty bad.

October 23, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
  69. Ryan

The economy is definitely getting worse. The US Government owes and is spending far more money than they could possibly bring in, and their solution is to print more money, decreasing the value of the dollar, and causing severe inflation. The whole situation is worsened by the fact that the US Congress refuses to listen to the opposite party and that nothing can ever be done because Democrats and Republicans alike only know how to don one thing: fight with each other. The only thing that can happen is an inevitable economical and governmental collapse.

October 23, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
  70. Gilberto

It's getting worse. Everything they sell at the supermarkets are going up. Taxes are increasing and gas prices keep increasing.

October 23, 2013 at 5:27 pm |