October 21st, 2013

Grambling State controversy

"Where do we go from here? We wait until Monday and see if they come to weight training."

Those were the words of Grambling State University's athletic director last week, after many of the school's football players boycotted practice and refused to play in last weekend's game, which Grambling forfeited.

On Monday, Grambling's players announced that they will return to practice and finish their season.

The university's president says the team doesn't understand the financial challenges that Grambling is facing. After watching our report on the team's protest, share your thoughts on this story here.

John Martin, Writer

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Kenzie

I have a feeling that they wouldn't refuse to play if they thought it wasn't necessary. I do think that missing a game and losing the schools money was a bit unfair. boycotting practices...well that's their decision. the school was right to promise new team conditions.

October 21, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
    • Clare

I totally agree!

October 22, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
  2. Sophia

I think the players need to understand Grambling, like to ask him if he has any problems or not, and so they can know that their coach is falling into a dire situation, and soon, they could figure out how to help him.

October 21, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
  3. jason

I agree with the team.

October 22, 2013 at 8:13 am |
  4. sarah

i like the team

October 22, 2013 at 9:24 am |
  5. jesse

are they a football team or a cheerleading squad? i think they should stop complaining i for one would be pushed to work harder use the frustration they have for the field.

October 22, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  6. davion

i think the players were standing up for there coach. but they were wrong in the publics eye. they may loose there scolarships

October 22, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  7. Carmen

i think its good they stood up and didn't play or refused to because it wasn't fair to them. its so far and tiring so i think they did good in standing up for themselves.

October 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
  8. jeffery

i think its not fair who would want to play without their coach that has been with them threw the wins and losses im sure i would not play if i didn't have better luxury to be in

October 22, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
  9. Abdi

They should have the right on wearther they want to play or not i thinkt they should listen to the need and figur out a deal to make both sides happy.

October 22, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
  10. Isaiah

I think it was a good decision.
    I think it was good because they had the money to do it they just didnt want to do it.

October 22, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
  11. Clare

They have every right to do that! If I lost my favorite coach I don't think I could deal with a new one. Especially if we won with him/her. I agree with the team!!!!

October 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
  12. Luke

i thank the players should have a reason to be mad with the lack of equipment cause i am a football player my self an i no how that feels but i don't thank they should take a chances losing their scholar ship because the equipment is not up to date , just use what u got an make the best of it.

October 22, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
  13. Bradley

I think the reason do not understand what is going on cause if they did they would have a reason to quit not just stop awhile then go back to practice the next week. they should feel proud of themselves cause not everyone gets a scholarship to play football.

October 22, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
  14. Parker

It's kinda silly to protest at a guy who can't afford to get his team to play the game.

October 22, 2013 at 3:50 pm |