.
October 15th, 2013

Supping in Silence

Confession time:  I've never really been good at silence.  My older sister said that as a baby, I screamed until I could talk and that I haven't shut up since.

So the silent restaurant featured in Wednesday's show probably wouldn't be the best place for me to eat.  But I still thought the idea was interesting.  The only sound you're supposed to hear is that of your fork clanking against your plate.  There's no verbal discussion about the food, no verbal planning for dessert, no verbal debrief of the day's events - just breathing, chewing, and paying.

But would this be enjoyable?  Some folks dine out for the food (or because they don't want to cook); some see it as a social experience; some think it's a combo of the two.  Without the talking, do you think the meal would still be good?

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Rohan

I don't think I could make it through, but I am SURE my parents can 🙂

October 15, 2013 at 7:18 pm |
    • NBC News 4

Our whole crew will probably not make it 🙂

October 16, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
  2. Lora

My family tried this at a giant family dinner. It lasted 1min at 45 seconds. Then my 2 year old cousin started to cry. We all started to laugh and talk after. I think that being quite at a giant family dinner is impossible. At the end of the day I made $5 for saying no we could not do it.

October 15, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
  3. Lorarose

I made a bet with my sister on who could be quite and who could not. I was the 1st out. I lost $5.

October 15, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • olivia

Wow! It's never fun to lose a bet, but I believe I would like this type of enviroment because it would give me the ability to appreciate my surroundings and comprehend my inner thoughts. Although, at the same time due to my energetic personality I would struggle to hold back my opinions and socialize. Therefore, it would be a challenging but substantial experience.

October 16, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
  4. Autry

I would not be able to at all. I think it is a creative idea, but each time my school has a silent lunch, I'm always the one getting in trouble for talking.

October 15, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
  5. Rainy

It's uncomfortable, but I eat Chinese food, so that's not hard to me. By the way is it weird to do this? We can just eat in normal way.

October 15, 2013 at 9:15 pm |
    • Luzia

I always ate in silence when I was in 7th grade(because I had no friends at lunch), but now it's hard to eat in silence with my friends around.

October 16, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
  6. Renee

I think the meal would be good because your more focused on the food instead of the conversation.

October 15, 2013 at 9:17 pm |
  7. Catherine

Honestly it would be hard for my family because there are lots of us, but if I were alone I probably could. Considering I'm pretty quiet during school I most deffenetly could. I only wonder how to order the food.

October 15, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
  8. Chris

I can't do thaat beceause everyone says I talk to much

October 15, 2013 at 9:50 pm |
  9. Chris

I can"t do that beceause i talk to much

October 15, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
  10. Jesse

Eating at a silent restaurant wouldn't really be for me, except if I happened to be extremely stressed. I've always grew up knowing eating times as social times, and that's kind of what makes lunch my favorite part of the day at school.

October 15, 2013 at 11:27 pm |
  11. Kyle

I actually think that it is an awful idea, when I go out to a restaurant with my family, we have to wait for the food to come, and sit in silence? No my favorite thing to do with my family is talk. And the times that we are all together is mainly at mealtime so that is a great opportunity.

October 16, 2013 at 7:14 am |
  12. Riley

I can eat in silence for 5 hours. It would be easy to do that and my mom taught me how to eat in silence.

October 16, 2013 at 7:58 am |
  13. kyle

it would be hard since i normaly socialize with friends at meals the phone isnt a problem i dont use it much

October 16, 2013 at 8:55 am |
  14. Marquail

I would not go to the restaurant if I could not talk to my family.

October 16, 2013 at 9:22 am |
  15. Ciarra

I just can't go through a meal without talking.

October 16, 2013 at 9:24 am |
  16. Nataiya

I would like this restaurant. I think my family talks too much at meals in any case.

October 16, 2013 at 9:25 am |
    • Jaye

lol...wow

October 17, 2013 at 11:22 am |
  17. Vidal

I, personally, would not be able to keep quiet in a restaurant that doesn't allow talking. I see going out to eat at a restaurant as more of a social activity, to talk and to have fun with friends and family. I also tend to be talkative in most cases so either way I wouldn't be able to handle it.

October 16, 2013 at 9:38 am |
  18. Josh

No it would be very unenjoyable because part eating out is talking to friends and family

October 16, 2013 at 9:52 am |
  19. Dra

It wouldn't be any bit enjoyable. If I had to sit in silence, I would run out of there without paying... or at least want to, that would be illegal... I would probably complain to the owner, oh wait, I need to be silent... so confusing!

October 16, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • Brianna

Why is that so true?

October 16, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
  20. Alexander

I honestly would have to say that eating in silence probably romanticizes your atmosphere. I would think that it would give you more time to admire your date rather than your meal. I would say its enjoyable, I probably wouldn't be able to control my laughter.

October 16, 2013 at 10:35 am |
  21. Sydney, S

It would make me feel very awkward, because if I am on a date you would want to talk to them.

October 16, 2013 at 10:54 am |
  22. Brian

Let's put it this way, I am NEVER going to that restaurant....

October 16, 2013 at 11:12 am |
  23. Sophie

To me it wouldn't be enjoyable to me because I can barely go 5 minutes without talking. So no I wouldn't be able to do it.

October 16, 2013 at 11:22 am |

Eating in silence is something we should all be accustomed to, No none wants to see your food as it is chewed up inside of your mouth. But dining in silence is an interesting topic, many family's choose dinner time to discuss their day and what happened, but if you had a headache it may be helpful to have a place to escape to.

October 16, 2013 at 11:23 am |

Eating in silence is something we should all be accustomed to, No none wants to see your food as it is chewed up inside of your mouth. But dining in silence is an interesting topic, many family's choose dinner time to discuss their day and what happened, but if you had a headache it may be helpful to have a place to escape to. I'd like this restaurant. My family talks a lot at dinner, and we enjoy organic meals.

October 16, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  26. Ethan

I'm a more talkative person so they might throw me out.

October 16, 2013 at 11:25 am |
  27. Kalani

I think that it is crazy to pay to eat in silence. If you are going out to have a good time, why would you want to eat in silence.

October 16, 2013 at 11:25 am |
  28. Juan

I like the idea, because I don't have to hear other peoples conversations.

October 16, 2013 at 11:27 am |
  29. Erika

I couldn't go through a meal without talking. I can barley go to the bathroom without talking.

October 16, 2013 at 11:34 am |
  30. Maria

If I had to do it, I would probably succeed because I'm not the talkative type and besides and can concentrate on my food and enjoying in silence instead of extremely loud noise. I think it's nice that a restaurant actually does that. I prefer to eat in silence though.

October 16, 2013 at 11:47 am |
  31. Amber

As a class we discussed this and we all agreed that we would not be able to eat in silence. We all like talking too much and enjoy conversing with our families when we are out to dinner.

October 16, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
  32. Rachel

I could not do it. I talk a LOT and I think it would be very Boring. But if I had a good book I might reconsider.

October 16, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
  33. Carmen

I could do that because im a quiet person especially when i eat so its not really a big deal

October 16, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
  34. Abdi

I dont think i could because knowing that someone fought real hard for freedom of speech.

October 16, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
  35. shakayla

No i cant do that i talk way to much hehehe just ask my friends and family i cant be in silence at all it makes me feel very weird the only way you can hush me up is if i'm sleep =] .

October 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
  36. Isaiah

I think I could make it.
    I think its weird but I think I could do it.
    these are my comments.

October 16, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
  37. jesse

I believe that i would be able to with stand the silence, I also believe it would be a great way to truly enjoy a meal.

October 16, 2013 at 12:42 pm |
  38. Carson

I don't know if I could make it through complete silence for even 5 minutes. The meal would still be amazing well socializing but it is rude if you if you talk with your mouthful! So that's called good manners to chew with your mouth closed.

October 16, 2013 at 1:03 pm |
  39. Kailyn

I don't think I can go through a meal with out talking.. I'm a talking robot when I'm in a place for too long I will eat and laugh simultaneously.. especially in a quiet Restruant like this one. I don't think the resturant will accept my appearance.

October 16, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
  40. Kailyn

The only way you are making me to be quiet in a public restruant if you are paying me to instead of me paying you for me to eat quietly.

October 16, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
  41. Kailyn

If you can't talk in this restraunt.. how do you order food?.. Write it down? hmm

October 16, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
    • Jaye

lol...that's a good question.

October 17, 2013 at 11:26 am |
  42. Vedant

I would not go to a restraunt where speech is prohibited because dinner is no fun without a conversation.

October 16, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
  43. Chace

No, I don't know, maybe, possibly

October 16, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
  44. Jalil

I could be quiet in a restaurant because I'm talkative. Then I can't just seat there and stare at the people at the table.Who can be silence for at least 5minutes because I'm an 100% cant be silence.

October 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm |

Well I don't think I could make even a couple minutes through out the entire dinner i would have to talk to someone because that is all i do when I am not in school.

October 16, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
  46. Brianna

I don't think that I would be able to make it through a WHOLE meal... maybe just a few bites. But I know for a FACT that my parents wouldn't make it, they're always wondering how my day was or what did I do.

October 16, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
  47. cody

no because i talk to much but yes because it would show manners and not allow people to talk with their mouthful

October 16, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
  48. Colby

Although I can be talkative, I'm sure that if I tried to eat in silence, I could accomplish what I accomplish in school each day, being silent for long amounts of time.

October 16, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
  49. Abbi

I'm too talkative-I don't think I could even make it for five minutes!

October 16, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
  50. Colby

I'm always pretty quiet at school, even though it is a strange thing to do, I'm sure that I could do it.

October 16, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
  51. rutta

i don't think i wound want to do it . but that will be cool for people who like to do that . i like to talk wen i go out to eat with friends some people go just to go talk .

October 16, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
  52. bobby

i think that i couldn't do this because being quiet is not me. iM always out and about trying to find someone to talk to.last i don't think that he should of done that for a spot in the real world for that kind of topic.

October 16, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
  53. kyle

I would definatley never go to a retruant where you can't talk. Thats the most rediculous thing i have ever heard who would want to do that you go out to dinner to have conversations, but yes i could go a whole meal without eating. Even though i still feel that it is a bad idea.

October 16, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
  54. casiana

I think I could sit through a meal with out talking is possible for me. It doesn't seem that hard. Even though sometimes females can't go without one second without talking, it would be hard but not impossble.

October 16, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
  55. JONATHAN

I disagree with this idea. I think this because it would be hard to stay quiet during lunch or dinner. I think it might be easier to stay quiet during breakfast.

October 16, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  56. Dean

To pay and eat a meal in silence would be a new way people can enjoy peace at dinner and not worry about stress. I believe that i would be able to with stand the silence. I also believe it would be a great way to truly enjoy a meal.

October 16, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
  57. marquise

I don't think i can eat a meal in complete silence, because when people go to restaurant they go their to socialize and enjoy a great meal.

October 16, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
  58. Erin

I think that if I went with a friend, I wouldn't be able to sit quietly because we would just be laughing at everybody taking it so seriously. But, if I went with my parents, then I would be able to stay quiet for the meal. But, I don't think it's a good idea not to talk at all while you eat, because it seems like the point of going out to dinner is to talk and have a good time. But, I do agree that people should keep their mouths open while they're eating.

October 16, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
  59. Francesca

I would not be able to go a full meal without talking, I can barely go a minute without talking! I would probably just blurt out laughing the SECOND I stepped inside of the restaurant, I guess you could say thats not my kind of restaurant.

October 16, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
  60. Jaden

I would never be able to have a meal in complete silence. Too talkative. It'd be too hard for me. Plus my dad chews uber loud. Just imagining eating a silent room with him grosses me out.

October 16, 2013 at 5:21 pm |
  61. Lauren

I'd love a completely silent meal. Often breakfast is a silent meal in our house anyway, but that's because everyone's been up for all of five minutes and doesn't want to talk yet. I think not talking during a meal would be a good thing for many people. It's considered bad manners to talk with your mouth full anyway, so why talk at all? Silence makes it easier to think and calm down. People with hectic schedules or lives need this. And it saves you the trouble of trying to make conversation on a date.

October 16, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
  62. Grace

I wouldn't be able to not say anything, When I eat with someone I have to talk them.

October 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
  63. Sam

I truly thank that is the weirdest thing I ever heard, but I gave it a shot and all of a sudden the food just like tasted better i could almost not do it , but on the other hand my parents were just fine with it.

October 16, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
  64. collin

At least we could practice sign language!

October 16, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • Becca

lol that's a good point!

October 17, 2013 at 11:52 am |
  65. James

I could make it through a dinner in silence, but my brothers definitely cannot!

October 16, 2013 at 5:59 pm |

It would be very peaceful, so I think I could manage it. If only our school cafeteria had this written down and made into a law!

October 16, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
  67. Hana

It would be nice to dine in silence once or twice and just to try it, or if you need time to think things through, but its also nice to talk and eat with your friends and have a fun time.

October 16, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
  68. Jenna

I don't really like the eating in silence. For my family, meal time is a time to socialize and dicuss our day. I don't think I would like it we missed out on that time. We are busy enough, I would never get a chance to make up the conversations I missed, because we ate in silence.

October 16, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
  69. Katy

I have done it at home because my mom was so mad at us. But at restaurant I would just start to laugh because I love to talk. But making faces about stuff instead of talking I would just laugh.

October 16, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
  70. ariah

I might be able to make it threw a meal without talking what so ever but i am a person who love's to socialize.so maybe!!!

October 16, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
  71. Ida

If I tried to, I could make it through a silent meal but typically I like to share my events of the day with my family or friends and discuss how the food is. My family and I go out to eat to enjoy the variety of food, to be social, and if we neither of my parents want to cook that night. Therefore, my family could not take a meal in silence. Someone would end up talking or making noise. I respect the idea of a silent meal but personally I would not want to have to sit through one unless the food is absolutely delicious.

October 16, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
  72. Ben

No not at all I tried before but it didn't happen.

October 16, 2013 at 9:04 pm |
  73. Azy

I could never do that I all ready tried to and less than five seconds later I was talking again.

October 16, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
  74. Angie

I know for a fact that my family couldn't eat a meal in silence. My brother and I crack up when my mom tells us not to talk and at every meal we argue about something stupid. so no.

October 16, 2013 at 9:21 pm |
  75. Rachelle

I can never stop talking, so this would be hard for me. We decided to try this at dinner tonight and it turned out HORRIBLY! I lasted the longest making it FIVE WHOLE MINUTES! My brother only lasted 2 minutes, and he's older than me. My mom got out shortly after when she told him to be quite. So no, it did not work today for me. That plus I love to tell my mom how my day at school went and what I learned on CNN Student News, so I just had to tell her!

October 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm |
  76. Tate

Not talking for a whole meal for me is possible, but I cannot be completely quiet.I've never actually survived a meal while making no noise. There will always be the constant tapping and seat moving sound at the eating table. On the other hand my dad can go through a meal without sound. None

October 16, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
  77. Kylie and Cathy

It would be the easiest thing for me to do.

October 16, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
  78. Emily

that would be terrible I can't last a minute without talking or making noises

October 16, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
  79. Eric

I personally have been there. At first, i liked the silence thing. Its a good idea to not have us speak, but after a while, i got sick of just the sound of breathing.

October 16, 2013 at 10:19 pm |
  80. James

I'm really good at being silant while I eat my food because when people talk with thier mouth full I can't understand what their saying and it's disgusting to see food in their mouth and that's not right to talk with food in your mouth.

October 16, 2013 at 11:19 pm |
  81. Crewe

I think this would be a great way to try new foods because if they get your order wrong, you're just going to have to deal with it in silence.

October 17, 2013 at 7:12 am |
  82. Rachel

In these digital century, mealtime is the only time to face our family or friends. Talking with mouth full is definitely a bad attitude but we can have even short conversation instead of texting. Therefore, talkative dining is necessary.

October 17, 2013 at 9:25 am |
  83. richard

it would not be that hard. i like to talk but i can be quiet,

October 17, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  84. David

when i am in a restaurant i want to eat and talk with the people i cam with. the idea of a silent restaurant is a very bad idea the only time i would go is when i would be by myself.

October 17, 2013 at 9:41 am |
  85. Austin

I wouldnt like it because i love to talk at dinner. When you talk at dinner it last longer. you stay at the restaurant longer too. When you go out to eat with a big crowd there is no way they going to be able to go without talking anyway. So i wouldnt enjoy it.

October 17, 2013 at 9:42 am |
  86. Diana

Not a bad idea. But is the restaurant going force people to keep their mouths shut? It's actually quite frightening thinking of waiters and such telling you to "shhh" while you just want to say something. But i do enjoy silence as I am a quiet person.

October 17, 2013 at 9:42 am |
  87. Dreamer

it would be very boring and the meal wouldnt be as good as it would be if there was more life. And most people really do go out to eat just to socialize.

October 17, 2013 at 9:43 am |
  88. lazaro

i think that people must have the right to talk and no one must said not about and this is my opinio and i think the business is not go to last for a wit andj that more people with go to a different i think that i not going to last

October 17, 2013 at 9:44 am |
  89. Maliq

I disagree with this idea. Its hard to just sit at a table and listen to complete silence.

October 17, 2013 at 9:45 am |
  90. Kassandra

I think that every family for dinning is different. Some people like to discuss important Issues when they are going to dine. In other cases may people go to restaurants to socialize. In other people just go and do not speak. What is the point of going to a public place to eat and not have a conversation. I just think that each people is different when it comes to dinning at a restaurant.

October 17, 2013 at 9:45 am |
  91. Claudia

I can make it through a silent diner, lunch, or breakfast. Because my grandma don't like us talking at the table when we eating. But if we go out and eat i would try and talk and at home with my mama and daddy i just eat and don't talk.

October 17, 2013 at 9:50 am |
  92. Ron

could make it through a dinner in silence and my sister and brother no they cant

October 17, 2013 at 11:12 am |
  93. Sierra

I couldn't make it through a silent meal because I'm a talkative person at times and its just hard to eat without talking well to me any way.

October 17, 2013 at 11:15 am |
  94. Bradley

When I eat I take few bites out of my food then say a couple of words of a joke and have a little laugh then begin eating again. I have had dinner in silence and I don't remember if the food taste different or not.

October 17, 2013 at 11:15 am |
  95. Jaye

In my opinion, I think that dining in silence is boring. I can never eat and just not say anything at all. I have to engage in some form of conversation whether it's gossip, news, or just going over how my day went. It would get irritating to just sit and eat in silence, they chewing and clinging of the fork and the plate would get on my nerves. At my house dining in silence isn't an option, dinner time gives you to opportunity to say whatever it is that's on your mind.

October 17, 2013 at 11:16 am |
  96. Jessica

When the food be extra good I be quiet anyways. But I like eating with others and giving my thoughts on the food I'm eating. But if I was with a large group of people eating I'm not being quiet.

October 17, 2013 at 11:16 am |
  97. Alysia

I couldn't make it through a meal/dinner in silence because I love to talk but I think it would be disrespectful to others.

October 17, 2013 at 11:16 am |
  98. Tori

i could make it threw a dinner without talk cause i think it is disrespectful to talk during dinner so i could go without.

October 17, 2013 at 11:17 am |
  99. thomas

i don't think it would be a good place to eat cause you would not be able to talk to your family at all intell you leave out which to me there sould be talking cause what happens if you and your girl friend or boy friend was going out to eatand you did not know there was a no talking paloce and then you got kicked out just for talking.

October 17, 2013 at 11:17 am |
  100. Kaye

Without the talking the food would still be good but communicating always makes dinner more enjoyable. Socializing helps families catch up on stuff that they don't know. Most people go out to eat because they don't want to cook, some go out to eat and socialize, and others may go out because it's someone's anniversary or birthday. While some people believe in eating in silence, others may not. People and families have different religious and cultures that they believe in. We shouldn't judge them for who they are and what they believe in.

October 17, 2013 at 11:18 am |
  101. Luke

I don't thank its a good idea because when i go some were to eat i like to talk with my family or to how every im with. so a place were u cant talk i don't thank it would draw much business to eat so bad idea.

October 17, 2013 at 11:18 am |
  102. Joshalin

I Think It Would Be Awkward To Eat In Silence, I Have Never Tried To Do It. Maybe Thats Why It Seems Awkward To Me. Every Restaurant I Go To They Eat And Talk I Have Never Seen Silent People. Unless They May Be Mad, Sad, Or Upset. You Sometimes it Can be Good To Eat In Silence Cause It Wont cause You To Choke Or Nothing Like That. But I Honestly Don't Think It Would Be A Good Idea To Eat In Silence. To Me There Is Always Something You Want To Say And Theres Always The Times Where You Want To Speak.

October 17, 2013 at 11:18 am |
  103. Tyler

I couldn't do that because I like to have a convo when I eat cause you be wanting to get entertained and I cant be silent you go to for the food or business , going out , girls night out or hang with the boy kind of night.

October 17, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  104. Sofi

I think that I can make it through but I think it would be way to awkward. I have to be talking, I think because I'm a very socializing person. But I guess I can life with it.

October 17, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  105. Ro'darius

I think it would be weird because my family is not quit at the dinner table we talk about the food and awere day .we did that one time eating without talking it was werid feeling because all you hear is the lips of the food going in your mouth

October 17, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  106. Becca

I could do it, but I don't want to. Dinner is an important time of day for our family, where we catch up on the things that we did that day.

October 17, 2013 at 11:52 am |
  107. A"Kauryana

I don't thik i could go through a meal with out talking. I have to have a conversation with someone and something. Silence at dinner is impossible.

October 17, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
  108. stephen

i can make it though a dinner without talking

October 17, 2013 at 1:24 pm |

i think when family gather around the table to eat, it is a time to gather together and socialize and have family time.

October 17, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
  110. Kwonski

October 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm |
  111. zaria

I THINK THAT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA BECAUSE WHWAT IF SOMETHING SERIOUS IS HAPPENING AND YOU REALLY NEED TO TELL SOMEBODY BUT EVERYBODY IS SILENCE SO AS OF THAT I DO NOT THINK THAT IS AVERY RESONABLE IDEA .

October 17, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • zaria

I MEANT WHAT INSTEAD OF WHWAT

October 17, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  112. Raekwon

I couldn't do it.....

October 17, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  113. romana

I believe that this is a good idea about eating in silence. Most people can be really loud when eating out and they can disturb others around them. Also it helps to be some people to keep their mouth closed when eating.

October 17, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  114. Stephen

i cant eat without talking.neither can my family i don't no why but we all love to talk while were eating

October 17, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
  115. Hayden

I would not eat there. To me when you go out to eat you're suppose to talk and make conversation, not stare at the person in front of you eating and not say anything. Going out to eat is to usually talk about important things, like coaches when they go out to eat for their meetings and business men do the same.

October 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
  116. Catilyn

In my opnion, I think that having a meal and being quiet simultaneously will cause a potential decrease in business. The reason for this is because most people prefer to have a social talkative enviroment for their pleasure or entertainment and if they don't talk, the meal will become boring and no one will go to the restaurant. I see this specially in the cafteria at a elementary, middle and high schools because most students enjoy talking and socializing with their peers, because most children do not see their classmates outside of school.

October 17, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
  117. elizabeth

i can not do it without talking all day and i could not talk to my friends i would be so bored all day.

October 17, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
  118. Clare

That would be hard for our family because i have two brothers and two sisters who love to make noise on the other hand i could make it through un silence.

October 17, 2013 at 2:05 pm |
    • Clare

*dinner of

October 17, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
  119. Parker

With attention deficiency, it's kinda hard to eat without blurting out SOMETHING.

October 17, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
  120. Brigitte

No way. I can barely sit through a science PA, how am I supposed eat in silence?

October 17, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
  121. Angelina

There is no way I could dine in silence. Thumbs up to the people that can. We all go out to have a good time though not to eat in silence.

October 17, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
  122. Mark

I could definely make it because my parents don't matter if the restaurant is silent and me because when I go to a restaurant I'm always quiet and It's not really hard for me to go to a restaurant that you need to be silent.

October 17, 2013 at 10:09 pm |
  123. Mr. VInson's Class

We feel this would be a bad idea because the possibility of bad food. We would need to get the food fixed. Do they get angry at us exclaiming when the food is hot? What if we had a younger baby in the restaraunt? Our class feels the meal would become boring without social interaction.

October 18, 2013 at 11:23 am |
  124. Tori

I woulnt find it enjoyable considering all i ever do is talk. Also a resturant with no talking and just eating would be the last place id wont to be at because since its quiet all you would hear is scrapping of silver ware and people chewing and smacking but at a resurant where you can talk all the talking mutes out everything else.

October 18, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
  125. Ben

The food better be good because the conversations won't

October 18, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
  126. Nik

I could not eat in silence. I can't even go an hour without talking.

October 19, 2013 at 7:34 am |
  127. Sally

I think dining in silence for a meal isn't a bad thing at all. That's just what I would need to peacefully reflect on my day.

October 19, 2013 at 9:44 am |
  128. Ricky

I would have to talk while eating because it is just to awkward eating in silence.

October 19, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
  129. Gavin

I don't think I could make it through this, because with a bunch of other people sitting in their seats not breathing a word, its a little creepy and funny. We would have to laugh at some point.

October 20, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
  130. Meghana

I wouldn't be able to because I'm a huge chatterbox, but it would be great time to reflect on your life and just sit, eat and think for a while.

October 21, 2013 at 6:39 am |
  131. Lauren

I think it would be really fun if you could eat in silence. Afterwards you could laugh about trying to communicate in silence. It would be a great experience and also if you didn't want to eat in silence then don't go to that restaurant!

October 21, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
  132. Gavin

And how will they take my order?

October 21, 2013 at 5:11 pm |