October 6th, 2013

Partial Government Shutdown

It's not something you see every day; the last time the U.S. government "shut down" was in the 1990s.  And it's up to Congress and the president to come to an agreement that would end it.

In the meantime, given the information you've heard about it and the reports on who would (and who wouldn't) be affected, we'd like to get your take on the partial U.S. government shutdown.

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Please remember to include only your first name when commenting.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Tristan

Although I haven't noticed effects of the partial government shutdown I'm sure a lot of people have. This shutdown has left thousands of American families without paychecks which (if this goes on long enough) could leave those families and more. Also if the shutdown goes on more than a week or so the stock market will crash and will hurt the economy. Congress needs to grow up and work things out.

October 6, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
    • Carson

I know it is affected thousands of people but as my mom is self employed and my dad is a state employee, it is not really affecting my family.

October 7, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • melina

I have never seen what makes the goverment so angry that they have to shut down . I feel terrible about the people who lost there jobs.Also i have some people who lost their jobs just because the goverment got into a little fight about how to run the goverment ,but the real problem is that they don't know how to reslove the problem.we all need to hang in there.God bless america!
      Thanks Tristan, melina

October 9, 2013 at 9:30 am |
      • James

Ok...first of all, those thousands of Americans haven't "lost" their jobs. They are being forced to take time off while selfish political parties debate health care. And the only reason the senators and politicians are making money is that they control who gets paid. I think all that needs to happen is that tether need to stop thinking about health care and start thinking about how to solve our governments problems. This won't happen again anytime soon because all thats going to happen is that they are all going to get voted out so they can go home and get real jobs. xD

October 9, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • Alex

I can't get on government sites for homework.And i feel bad for the people that got laid off because of the government fault

October 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
      • rafael

the government needs to find a solution

October 10, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
      • george

me too. i was doing national park researc hthen.. it told me cannot access because of partial govt. shutdown

October 11, 2013 at 8:25 pm |
      • Madison

Exactly, how dose a website have to be affected by a shutdown? NASA has updates but, come on, we should have assesses to the websites!

October 14, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
  2. Jon

Where we live we aren't seeing any immediate changes. Apart from our two National Parks near us, we are not seeing any major effects.

October 6, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
  3. Nicole

how come congress still gets paid and yet national parks and museums are shutdown. I think its not fair sure congress needs to make a decision, but I don't think they will they argue to much they all are completely different people in not just politics but in their lifestyle

October 6, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
  4. Lexie

We were in New York on vacation and had tickets to the crown of the Statue of Liberty on Oct 2. Now, we may never see it.

October 6, 2013 at 8:57 pm |
    • James

Awe wow... That stinks i would love to go see the crown. That would be a once in a lifetime opportunity

October 9, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
  5. John

My teacher told me about her brother not getting a paycheck and her other brother had to not be able to pay 50 employes. Also, I been hearing congressmen and women give their salaries back to the government.

October 6, 2013 at 10:03 pm |
  6. Bob

I live in Guam, so the shutdown hasn't really affected me. I feel sorry for the people who have been affected though.

October 7, 2013 at 2:59 am |
  7. Sydney

I definitely have noticed the affects of the government shutdown. Many of the sites I frequently use online have been temporarily shutdown. We are also going to New York on our vacation and we will not be able to visit the Statue of Liberty.

October 7, 2013 at 8:05 am |
  8. Chi-Chi

I noticed that when I was researching for information for a history project, when I clicked on a website that ended in .gov, it said that it was temporarily unavailable due to the government shutdown. This made me unable to collect accurate information for my project.

October 7, 2013 at 8:24 am |
  9. Alex

I think it's ridiculous that they haven't been able to agree on a budget. I hope they can think of something soon.

October 7, 2013 at 8:54 am |
  10. Xiomara

The government shutdown is a sad process. Many Americans and military personnel are furloughed from this, yet the president and congress are still paid. As an American we are still required to pay taxes and I would like to enjoy the national parks and many monuments that are supported from my taxes. How do they expect the average American to survive when they are not being paid from this shutdown, and many day cares are closed? The government needs to realize that this partial shut down is affecting a lot of people and businesses.

October 7, 2013 at 9:04 am |
  11. Lewis

I have noticed the shutdown. I was planning to go to the Blue Ridge Mountains over the weekend, but with the National Parks out of service, I couldn't go.

October 7, 2013 at 9:41 am |
    • Will

This whole government shutdown is all because our government cannot pass a bill?! Its outrageous that they cannot agree on anything when we all know that in the end somebody has to give in.

October 8, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
      • James

It seems like children could come up with a simple compromise. But politicians always have to get there way don't they. 🙂

October 9, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
  12. Alexia

The government shutdown has a very widespread effect, not just in the vicinity of state parks and the Capitol. Our entire country is suffering from the effects of the shutdown, and now you don't even have to look very hard to notice that something is very, very wrong.

October 7, 2013 at 11:07 am |
  13. Hannah

My dad is in the air force and for the past week he's sort of been getting paid to go to the gym and stare at a computer screen. But last sunday he was supposed to go on a trip until wednesday night but he got back tuesday afternoon because the government shut down. Yesterday he called about 20 people and told them to come back to work for him. The commissary and the base library here have closed, but the commissary opened today. I wish the library would open again. 😦 but the government shutdown hasn't affected us too negatively, my dad still got paid on time.

October 7, 2013 at 11:43 am |
  14. Jimmy

The government shutdown has been having its effects. For me, the shutdown does not have a big impact. For others, there are some slight or major problems. What I have noticed is that the government is still getting paid during the shutdown, which is not fair to the people who work hard to support others.

October 7, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
  15. Tucker

Because of the shutdown we cannot fish at our lake, mountain bike at our park, or hunt at our public hunting area, they are all shutdown. No Hunting, No Fishing, No Mountain Biking 😦

October 7, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
  16. Whitney

My take on the partial U.S government shut down is that it is unfair. I think it is unfair because two groups of people argument should not effect everyone's lives. I think that the people that disagree should be replaced until they can agree on something like alternates.

October 7, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
  17. Ms. Giesenhagen's Class

Our class has been greatly affected by the government shutdown. We have a field trip scheduled for next week, but it has been cancelled because it is on BLM land. All of the students are very upset that we can't go. This is an annual trip, and it will be terrible to not be able to go this year! 😦

October 7, 2013 at 3:26 pm |
  18. Erin

Personally, my family is not affected by the partial government shutdown, but I know that many families and government workers are being affected. They are being affected because thousands of government workers are not getting payed, so they aren't able to pay bills, or necessities of life. And then, some of the "more important" workers in the government are getting payed, and keeping all of the money to themselves while many people are unemployed, and need the money. Also, people that need passports, or visas wouldn't be able to get the paperwork for these items, because the government isn't funding them. Then, people with vacations to National Parks would not be able to go there, because the parks will be closed through the shutdown.

October 7, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
  19. Hannah

October 7, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
  20. Jackson

Ever since the government shutdown all the museums, my Civil Air Patrol squadron had to postpone our trip to a naval museum. I feel bad for other people who also planned elaborate visits to museums and national parks. This shutdown needs to end as soon as possible.

October 7, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  21. Sophie

My father has not been working since the government shutdown, and it has taken its toll on our family. Because he has not been paid, I have to be cautious of how much water I use and food I eat just to conserve money. This Government Shutdown and refusal of compromise worries me of the future for the United States.

October 7, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
    • Katelyn

Im sorry about that but i totaly agree because its only because the democrats and the republicans cant get along! I wish the best of luck.

October 9, 2013 at 9:28 am |
  22. Dakota

I think it is sad that Congress cannot agree on a budget for the nation, so we have to affect millions of people's lives in order for Congress to have time to come to an agreement. If both sides would compromise maybe those affected would be able to be paid and then they would be able to get their life put back together after the shutdown ends.

October 7, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
  23. Sarah

I am not seeing any changes right now, but I know that if it continues on for much longer I will, because our economy will suffer, and I am a big national parks fan. But one thing I noticed is that even though some people no longer have jobs, they still have to pay taxes which goes into paying for the governments pay checks even though they aren't really doing anything. That's not really fair, is it?

October 7, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
  24. Courtnee

I feel like the shutdown can greatly impact some people with a lower income. It's ridiculous to me how two parties can't come to terms on certain subjects. Even though people are said to get paid sometime in the future, we don't know when that is. Their time is OUR money.

October 7, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
  25. Joel

The government shutdown has had a big impact. It hasn't effected me but I've recently asked my family and friends and they have told me that their parents work for the government and now they can't any more and it makes me wonder if this will make a bigger impact than it has now

October 7, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
  26. Joey

The government shutdown was a good in a way and bad in another. Depending on how long they stay shutdown many people could lose there jobs and would have to find a new way to pay the bills. On the other hand the government shutdown will save use what little money our country has left. The government is going to have make important decisions like what bills they are going to pay and what aid they are going to shut down. My point of view is that no matter the cost the government need to decide what to do.

October 7, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
  27. Gracie

I haven't been affected by the partial government shutdown, but if it goes on much longer, I'm sure I will be.

October 7, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
  28. Hana

Politics is getting in the way of every day people's lives. I think they should get there act together and stop letting peoples political views get in the way of everyday peoples lives and needs. It has affected people every were greatly and this needs to end now.

October 7, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
  29. Ida

I haven't been effected to much by the government shutdown but the Wright Brothers Monument (a large tourist attraction) is currently shutdown. My parents are frustrated by this because they work out there and go jogging to the monument. Also other places to the south of where I live have their beaches and many other parts of their towns shutdown. This causes tourist not to be able to do all the things they may have wanted to do on their vacation.

October 7, 2013 at 6:48 pm |
  30. Matthew

I am in the Boy Scouts and I can't go to my camp out at Joshua Tree because of the government shutdown. This is affecting a lot of people and it should be fixed. What I really don't understand is that the people who caused this are getting paid. People who had nothing to do with this aren't getting paid though.

October 7, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
  31. Jessimae

The fact that Congress members are still being paid during the government shutdown is very bad to a lot of my peers and myself. The Congress members, I think, should have worked harder to make sure the government didn't need to shut down. Now, hundreds of thousands of federal employees are being furloughed while the men and women of Congress get to take home parts of their six figure salaries. If I could change this rule that allows Congress members to be paid while other workers are furloughed, I would say that Congress should not be paid during a government shut down. They caused the government to shut down, so their wallets should feel the consequences.

October 7, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
    • Violet

I agree with you Jessimae!

October 14, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
  32. Bianca

The partial government shutdown hasn't really affected me since education is still being funded. It would really affect me then if that were to be taken away.

October 7, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Graham

I just went camping in a National Park. There were signs that said there were no rangers, no staff, and no emergency responders due to the government shut down.

October 7, 2013 at 11:49 pm |
  34. James

I've also noticed the shutdown. All (or a lot of) national parkes are being closed due to the gov shutdown its really upsetting because a lot of people like to see the national parks!

October 8, 2013 at 12:56 am |
  35. Will

I think that it was stupid to shut down the government because I think that refusing to agree on a bill is a horrible reason to fire thousands of people.

October 8, 2013 at 8:37 am |
  36. John

I know someone who is planning on going to a national park but that is shut down.

October 8, 2013 at 8:37 am |
  37. Pasqualina

I was doing a project for history and the government sites were shut down.

October 8, 2013 at 8:37 am |
  38. Diana

You may not think the shutdown has affected you but it certainly has or it will. Democrats and republicans are blaming each other. After the shutdown, Obamacare will be put into action. But that's just a prediction of mine. Lets hope however this turns out, it'll affect us in the most beneficial way.

October 8, 2013 at 9:42 am |
  39. richard

I think it is dumb. There is no reason why they should shut the goverment down. We dont even need the presidents care.

October 8, 2013 at 9:43 am |
  40. Austin

They are cutting out pay for a lot of gov't jobs and some of the military pay to.

October 8, 2013 at 9:44 am |
  41. Kassandra

The Shutdown is really being noticed. The government shutdown has a very widespread effect, not just in the vicinity of state parks and the Capitol. Our entire country is suffering from the effects of the shutdown. Most national Parks are out of services, and many other main attractions. I've heard from teachers saying that her brother is not getting a paycheck and her other brother was not be able to pay 50 other employees.

October 8, 2013 at 9:54 am |
  42. Marshall

I'm a duck hunter. The federal government puts metal bands on the ducks legs when they are young – the bands are for tracking purposes and population readings. I shot a female wood duck that had a band on Friday October 4th,2013. I called the number to report the band and they couldn't give me all of the birds information due to the federal government shut down. As hunter completing such a rare task its very frustrating and this whole shut down just makes everything so complicated.

October 8, 2013 at 10:16 am |
  43. Jacob

This is such a pathetic thing.
    Republicans refused to negotiate to stop the government shutdown because of Obamacare, which was already a law. The government went into shutdown because of that. Obama refused to negotiate with the people who caused the problem, and he has every right to do so. Now Republicans are just trying to make it look like it's not their fault by passing bills to open up parks and other services. In reality this accomplishes nothing in the long run. It's just another way to buy time so the Democrats will cave in. This is just pathetic.

October 8, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • Will

You are completely right they are pathetic by not giving in when we all know that somebody has to anyway. The sooner the better!\

October 8, 2013 at 8:44 pm |
      • Phil

This entire this is very dumb and they need to pass a bill and stop just arguing over nothing! The more days they wait to pass a bill, the more and more money their losing.

October 8, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
  44. Laurie

Yes, I've noticed the government shutdown. When I tried to use the commissary (grocery store) on base, the commissary was closed. In addition, my husband's veteran's disability check may be impacted. The base is the biggest employer here in Anchorage, Alaska, so there are a lot of people impacted by both the sequestration and the shutdown. Luckily, my teacher pay hasn't been impacted...yet.

October 8, 2013 at 10:55 am |
  45. Tyler

its Pathetic I Mean the government shutdown just because they couldn't come up with a budget that shows you they don't got a leader and don't have no team work they need to come together and fix this problem.

October 8, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  46. samson

I haven't been affected by the government shutdown. but people who have been laid off because of the government shutdown. I send my condoleces

October 8, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  47. Jaye

It's stupid to me how the government can't come to an agreement about the budget. I meam they have plenty of money so they shutdown wouldn't effect them, they are getting paid regardless. Them not being able to decide and fighting over it is so childish. They don't see it from other viewpoints like the people who have to look forward to that money to keep their families afloat.

October 8, 2013 at 11:20 am |
  48. Kaye

Many people are on furlough and working without pay, some are already affected like the military, attractions and tours, preschool, federal workers, etc. Until the President and Congress can come to a complete agreement many families can't provide for their children or pay their bills. The last shutdown happened in the 1990's and lasted for about 25 days, if that happens this time many are in trouble. Some people have fees that are due but can't pay them so that makes some paying late fees. It's beyond pathetic, Congress should wise up and noticed their hurting many families in need.

October 8, 2013 at 11:20 am |
  49. Alysia

the members of congress wont really be in a big hurry to end this because they are still getting paid. They have got to realize that not everyone is gonna be happy and stop fighting over Obama care.

October 8, 2013 at 11:21 am |
  50. Ron

i think they should stop the shutdown and just make up.
    its stupid lol

October 8, 2013 at 11:21 am |
  51. Sierra

It's been noticed its affecting people with income they going to start taking away stuff that people really need and may give out stuff to people that don't need it, they just want it.

October 8, 2013 at 11:27 am |
  52. Joshalin

The Shutdown Is Really Being Noticed. It Has Affected Many Families Leaving Them Without Pay Checks. The Congress Needs To Huury Up And Get Things Worked Out. If The Shutdown Still Continues More Days We Will Lose Alot But I Mean Alot Of Money. Meanwhile, They Are Making A Decision Or During Something To Get Things Fixed All This Families Unemployed Are Suffering For This Actions.

October 8, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  53. Sofi

I think that there are many families affected. Some people aren't even getting paid. There were great plans for some families and they have to be cancelled due to the shutdown. I really think this shutdown situation is dumb.

October 8, 2013 at 11:33 am |
  54. Bradley

The Shutdown is really being noticed because all kinds of things has been happening like people losing their job and money. I think they should reopen the government so everything can being to recover.

October 8, 2013 at 11:34 am |
  55. Jessica

I think the gov't is just plain selfish. They doing all this just because people trying to get health care!!! They don't care nothing about nobody but their own self.

October 8, 2013 at 11:37 am |
  56. Luke

i thank its wrong that we shut down the goverment cause familys are loseing money an its already hard enough on people so they need to do something

October 8, 2013 at 11:39 am |
  57. grace

this government shutdown is totally affecting my family, because my dad's job is considered necessary, and now we can' get our dog groomed because my dad is only making 15% of his normal pay. i still feel lucky, because at least he isn't on "unpayed time off

October 8, 2013 at 11:55 am |
  58. Shadow

There are numerous agencies who are calling employees exempt so that they can be paid while working during the shutdown who are clearly NOT exempt. There is lots of favoritism going on out there – we have so many workers who are not being paid who would go back to work in a heartbeat. They are the pawns in this – deliberately causing families pain – so they can put those folks out there as examples as to what happens when the Government shuts down. Send them back to work. Also please let them know if they will or will not be paid – they need to know. Many would apply for unemployment if they just knew.

October 8, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
  59. Carson

They should really do something about the government shutdown. My friend Ethan's dad is on fur low so he is not making any money so you should say something about this on your next episode you make. Also I like the ideas that everybody has been coming up with so the government can hopefully come back so people can get there money back soon!

October 8, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
    • Carson

Also the government needs to come back for others too!

October 8, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
  60. zaria

This shutdown has left thousands of American families without paychecks which (if this goes on long enough) could leave those families without money causing them to not be able to pay there bills or be able to put food on there tables.

October 8, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
  61. romana

My thoughts are that the government may not come to an agreement, probably will take a few months till they do. but I know that many families are badly affected and the ones who work in the government are also affected. Hopefully this will end and that they come up with an agreement that is good for the people and for them.

October 8, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
  62. Taylor

I think they need to come to a agreement so the government can open back up cause alot of government jobs are being cut out as far as the pay

October 8, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
  63. stephen

i think the government shutdown is crazy because no body cant get there checks

October 8, 2013 at 1:25 pm |
  64. Sha-Tara

Even though you cannot tell i think everyone will be affect. But some will be little changes and some will be a big changes. I have not seen an affect so far.

October 8, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
  65. Catilyn

So far, this "government shut-down" has affected many Americans, because they are supported by government ran programs. I have heard that other programs will be shut down this week until further notice.

October 8, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
  66. Hayden

This government shutdown is effecting a lot of people. People who have businesses near national parks are really effected because no one will come now if the parks are shut down. My parents are teachers, and this doesn't effect us. Even though teachers are government workers they haven't closed schools.

October 8, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
  67. KateLyne

I've noticed the shutdown, but it's not affecting me nor my family. I'm Native American and I live on a reservation in Montana. The thing I don't understand is why should people be forced to leave their jobs? If anything, the government needs to figure this out on their own instead of making the people furloughed into this. We have rights don't we? So how come they're be taken away? But no matter what we say or do, the government will still do nothing and they'll still be payed.

October 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm |
  68. kand

I am watching the slimdown with some tripidation. Our constitution provides a solution for a disagreement between the house and Senate. It is called s meeting to obtain a resolution. Boehner has requested the meeting, Reid has flately refused and says essentially that he will only agree to a bill with no condiions. That is Reids way or nothing. After all there are two legislative bodies and they are responsible to work together.

October 8, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
  69. Seymour

No affect. The Obamacare Law is raising costs for everyone who buys insurance ... because law mandates more people/regulations (adds COSTS) to administer the processes. Just because a group of robes in a court says a law is constitutional does not make it SO. Repeal it all ... the lowest health care costs obtainable are when it's a person and a doctor arrangement payments/bartering. Anyone else involved (government, HMO's, PPO's Obamacare exchanges, etc. insurance companies, etc.) only adds to costs unnecessarily. KEEP IT SIMPLE people.

October 8, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
  70. Tom

How is it that both sides have failed to come into an agreement, when clearly any short term response they do is futile a long term solution can't be done until the budget is raised. If both sides don't realize this soon the effects could be massive.

October 8, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
  71. Chris

It is a joke that both sides of the government, Republican and Democrat, can not negotiate on this issue and are still getting paid, while people that can't work because of the shutdown do not get paid. I say no one in the Congress gets paid until this issue is resolved.

October 8, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
    • Willard

Totally agree Chris. This is just to make the American people mad.

October 9, 2013 at 11:46 pm |
  72. Sarah

I think it's affecting certain people more than others. I haven't been able to access some government websites due to the shutdown.

October 8, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
  73. Will

The government just needs to stop arguing and work this out!!!!!!

October 8, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
  74. Solon

I haven't noticed any shut down at all, except that my parents are complaining about it..

October 8, 2013 at 9:40 pm |
  75. Tyler

I'm mad about the government shutdown because the DMV is closed and I want to go get my permit

October 9, 2013 at 8:18 am |
    • Tyler

I also blame congress because they couldn't agree on a payment plan and they still get paid while soldiers are not being funded for funerals

October 9, 2013 at 8:20 am |
  76. Katelyn

This is so stupid and unfair. Like why does the government have to shut down just because the people that represent us, as democrats and republcans, can't get along. Like really. theres like a million people in the U.S. and we shut down becuase the idioc people who represent us, no offense, cant get along. what is this? Kindergarten ?...

October 9, 2013 at 9:26 am |
  77. Jaylynn

I haven't been affected by the shut down, but I feel bad for the people who have been affected im sorry guys! Also now you cant even go to mount rushmore.

October 9, 2013 at 9:27 am |
  78. Kristopher

I think that the government is being childish because they can't agree on a few ideas. They are supposed to be protecting our country, yet they're acting like they're in kindergarten fighting over who gets to go on the swings. So many people are getting sent home without pay, yet our government still gets paid to fight over the ideas. National parks are now closed, thus ruining many vacations. Franklin D. Roosevelt once said," The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." In my opinion, this issue is fear in the flesh.

October 9, 2013 at 9:27 am |
  79. Luke

With the shutdown, many national parks and government owned places are shutting down. It has been going on for eight days now, and I think it needs to stop. The Capital should get this whole problem straight before our country collapses and runs out of money. America doesn't want to go down this road again.

October 9, 2013 at 9:28 am |
  80. shemur

I haven't been affected by the shutdown but im sorry for the people who have though.

October 9, 2013 at 9:30 am |
  81. Carrie

Although the government shutdown has not effected my life much, thousands of people are not getting paid. I think that the government needs to learn to cooperate and make a decision before even more harm is done. They should know that in a good compromise, no one is supposed to be 100% happy with the results.

October 9, 2013 at 9:30 am |
  82. Kate

Although I have not noticed the government shutdown as much as others, I am aware it has effected many people. Lots of workers have not been getting paid for a little over a week, which was not their call. It is not fair that they are not being paid, while members of Congress are. Also, government funded websites and parks are shutdown. Students relying on these websites for school projects will no longer be able to use them until the government is no longer in shutdown, and no one is sure when it will be back. National parks are not open either, which can result in some ruined family vacation plans.

October 9, 2013 at 9:34 am |
  83. Kendra

The Government shutdown may not seem like it's not affecting anyone but my Earth science class was unable to finish our project on Earthquakes due to this shutdown. Along with the Government the website we were using shutdown with it. How can you say "No student left behind" when this is affecting my education?

October 9, 2013 at 10:22 am |
  84. Seth

The government shutdown is getting tiring. Although I personally feel that it is necessary because two should be forced to talk and think of a way to resolve these healthcare budget issues that we have. I think that the government shutdown has been dragged out too long and that they should have figured out a solution by now.

October 9, 2013 at 10:26 am |
  85. Jesse

The government shutdown was caused by Republicans disagreeing on Obamacare. I think this is bad because federal employees are not working right now.

October 9, 2013 at 10:30 am |
  86. Matt

I think the Repubicans not agreeing to the terms of Obamacare is screwing up America. It is shutting down national parks ,denying federal workers their pay, and not giving small businesses loans. The Repubicans need to compromise with the Democrats.

October 9, 2013 at 10:37 am |
  87. Dylan

The Shutdown would prevent my school from going to Washington D.C. If the Shutdown is still in effect in May of 2014. The whole point of our trip is to go and see the landmarks, museums, and other important buildings.

October 9, 2013 at 10:38 am |
  88. Catherine

My dad works in the military and the only thing that has been affected is the commissary, it is shut down.

October 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
  89. Nadine

I think this is unfair because the government is geting paid so they dont care if it is shut down but the people out on furlow are the ones getting hurt.

October 9, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
  90. Richard

It sort of affects me because my cousin is a park ranger in New York but now he is not working so he isn't getting paid right now because of the government shut down.

October 9, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
  91. David

This isn't fair for the people who are affected by this. These people should still be paid because they need to be..

October 9, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
  92. victor

they should work again

October 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
  93. Ashley

Even though I was not affected by the government shut down, many Americans were. A lot of people I know are out of paychecks. If this shutdown continues to last, many Americans will be without money. Also our economy is not going to stand in a good place because of the stock market.

October 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
  94. Chris

The government shutdown has not affected us and we haven't seen any major differences, but there are a few people that can't go to work.

October 9, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
  95. Maria

The government shut down does not affect me at all yet I think Republicans should understand that democrats don't want anything to change in the Obama Care.

October 9, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
  96. Kaitlyn

I have not been affected by the government shutdown, however many other people have. The government should not have decided to shutdown because they should consider other people and their jobs. People lose their job and they don't get paied, which causes many other problems.

October 9, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
  97. Jessica

I think that the Goverment shutdown is not needed all that it is doing is causing people not being able to work and closing down parks.

October 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  98. Neema

Even though its not really effecting my family, I know that thousands of families are suffering and the goverment needs to step in because how are you supposed to pay your dues if you can't go to work? Exactly you cant:(

October 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  99. Erick

The government shutdown hasn't affected me, but is affecting others, as they can't get back to their jobs or visit parks and monuments.

October 9, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
  100. Robert

The government shutdown is affecting many people round the U.S. We should find a way to help the government get back into order.

October 9, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
  101. Jayna

I feel that the shutdown is unfair. Congress is the one in the fight , but yet they still get paid, and others in our country have to suffer. Just because Congress can't agree with eachother doesn't mean that they should make other citizens suffer. SO many Americans are out of jobs (14 percent!)

October 9, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
  102. Devin

what I don't understand is why Obama cares about the redskins name and the gov. is shutdown worry about that not a football teams name.

October 9, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
  103. Daniela

I haven't been affected by the shutdown. I know many people are not working because of it and I think that's horrible.

October 9, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
  104. Daniel

This shutdown is really unnecesary. The republicans and democrats are acting like children. JUST MAKE UP AND GET PEOPLE OUT OF THE NEXT GREAT DEPRESSION. Thank you.

October 9, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
    • Kyle

It's not going to be long enough to be a Great Depression!

October 12, 2013 at 9:13 am |
  105. kyle

I dont reallly enjoy the goverment shutdown because my uncle who works at usa today and he is not able to work and other

October 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
  106. Coderson

The Government shut down has affected a lot of people in the U.S, and now more then 400,000 individuals cant go to work, and are not being paid either. The Democrats and Republicans need to come to a conclusion and compromise soon, or this will spell worst problems for the Government and the people of this country.

October 9, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
  107. Garrett

Seeing as to how the government shut-down is hurting so many people, I wonder why they don't do anything about it? Think: with people that have millions and millions of dollars in their bank accounts still getting payed, why don't all of the "non-essential" people get paid also? It is unfair to furlough people who are already having a hard time paying their family, and yet keep paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to those who can prosper without it?

October 9, 2013 at 3:26 pm |
  108. Deryn

The shutdown is an inconvenience for some people, but i see why the government did it. they don't have enough money to keep all the programs running.

October 9, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
  109. Cassidy

The shutdown prevents my uncle, who works for the Department of Defense, to go to work and get paid. In turn, it means my brother and I may not see him again for a while. I really like seeing him, so I hope the shutdown ends soon. My family and I also like to go hiking in many of the National Parks. We also like going to the Delaware Water Gap, and now that's closed too. I wish that they could have just agreed on something in the first place! That way, we wouldn't be in the predicament we're in now.

October 9, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
  110. Kayley

I do think that this is quite a hard time for certain families but it is not affecting me and I am not seeing any changes in my life.

October 9, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
  111. desiree

i think thta the shut down is very unnessisery.they should reopen it and giveall the people what they owe them

October 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
  112. desiree

it has been 8 days now and we are running out of money and this does not need
    to happen agen and if it does what will the world do suffer.IT NEEDS TO REOPEN

October 9, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
  113. Cheyenne

Well, I personally think that this is gonna be a problem because my class is taking a Social Studies test, and as I was reading the book it said that the national parks were open for the people to see it, and pass it on to there children and grand children, not to be closed by a government shutdown.

October 9, 2013 at 9:14 pm |
  114. Sebastian

The government shutdown is causing people to go home for periods of time, and we got vets that cant see the World War 2 memorial plaque.I dont know what the government will so next.

October 9, 2013 at 9:24 pm |
  115. Adriana

I think the reason fro the shutdown was a bit silly. Just because the Republicans cant agree on one thing doesn't mean you go ahead and shut the whole government down. Lots of employees who work hard for the government are not getting paid and are asked not to got to work even though workers at Congress are getting paid. Its not fair. I also know that many families and schools had to cancel vacation plans and school trips because of the Statue of Liberty, Yosemite Park, and the White House tours have stopped. I think that they did this very abruptly and its just not fair to those who have been affected by it. Learn to work together Congress. Your blunder is costing someone a days pay.

October 9, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
  116. Alissa

I find the blame game absolutely annoying. No one cares whose fault it is. I just want our leaders to lead and steer America into the direction it needs to be. Everyone's been taught to compromise, why is it so hard for our leaders to do so? It's beyond childish. They need to do their job so we can get back to doing ours.

October 9, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
  117. Matty

I live overseas on a tiny army post, where everything is run by the government–the grocery store, the post office, the gym, the chapel, etc. I have seen some consequences of the government shutdown. For example, we can get mail only certain times on certain days and the gym only offers two channels now to watch while you're working out: CNN and a sports channel.! Apparently the government considers watching CNN "essential"! 🙂 Because the government has continued to fund the military, these slight inconveniences are just a result of the military being frugal with their limited money. Overall, the partial shutdown really isn't such a terrible thing for me because it just requires a little extra patience to get things done.

October 10, 2013 at 2:09 am |
  118. CJ

It effected us because I am a Boy Scout working on a cooking merit badge. One of the things I needed to do was go to a government website, Myplate.gov. It's closed now because it is government funded and I can't complete my badge requirements right now.

October 10, 2013 at 9:35 am |
  119. Anjali

I haven't been affeted by the shut down and neither have any of my friends by I feel bad for the people who have been

October 10, 2013 at 11:18 am |
  120. Marie

It has affected me because my mom has a job as a CIA agent but now she's staying home and not getting paid so now choices are limited for trips and food, etc. Only my dad's job is supporting us and we might became poor with the way things are going because my dad gets paid less.

October 10, 2013 at 11:38 am |
  121. Michelle

The only place I know off that was affected by this was a wildlife refuge, which I'm not going to any time soon. Then again, I don't really know of any places outside of my town, ha ha.

October 10, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
  122. Tyler

I haven't been affected by the shutdown, but I feel real sympathy for the 400,000 furloughed employees during this Partial gov't shutdown.

October 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
  123. Sarah

My grandma lives with us and receives a social security check and a medical benefits from my grandpa each month, and we are waiting to see what happens!

October 10, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
  124. Jesus

This government shutdown effected my life because I see people who are struggling with bills and are not getting paid. My family was effected by this shutdown. My grandmother is not getting her monthly check

October 10, 2013 at 3:33 pm |
  125. armen

I see no difference in the shut down and my parents seem tone fine with it seeing how one works at a school and one owns a store so...

October 11, 2013 at 8:41 am |
  126. Mya

It doesn't really affect me and my family.

October 11, 2013 at 8:42 am |
  127. dereeen

The government shut-down effected ALOT of peoples planning, life, bills, and more. Its like they don't care about anyone, we got stuff to do too (shellfish)

October 11, 2013 at 8:43 am |
  128. Djamila

They should not do the government shutdown because if they do, many people will have problems. My mom works at a bank and my dad works at ups and nothing is happening to them.

October 11, 2013 at 8:44 am |
  129. tbagz

I think the government shut-own affected allot of people money bills and life

October 11, 2013 at 8:45 am |
  130. jordan

What I think about the shut down is that some people rely on the government to pay monthly bill and they can't get paid for the work they have done.

October 11, 2013 at 8:45 am |
  131. jay

The government shutdown must effect many people

October 11, 2013 at 8:46 am |
  132. johanna

I haven`t been affected by the government shutdown but I actually feel bad for the people it affects

October 11, 2013 at 8:47 am |
  133. Paul

I think the government should not shut down because people have to take care of their family's with the money they get from working. Also they should not shut down because people have to pay their taxes and bills.

October 11, 2013 at 8:51 am |
  134. Maria

I'm not seeing any effects of the government shutdown for me. But I feel bad for the federal employees having to be home or not working and not getting paid.

October 11, 2013 at 11:18 am |
  135. Jacob

I am reading The lost Symbol it is kinda strange when they are talking about government facilities that aren't open right now

October 11, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
  136. Brigitte

It has not effected my family, but the fact that they won't help the families that had loved ones that died in the war,is not right. for, the family members that lost their loved ones in war can't go get the remains of their loved ones because of the shutdown. Why will they not pay for this. Even If they did something good for our country and we are doing NOTHING for them and their family. But yet they open national parks? Seems kinda weird to me.

October 11, 2013 at 10:16 pm |
  137. Kyle

My parents work on the base at Dalhgren and they are working. My dad isnt getting paid but my mom is. I cant go on a camping trip in Shenandoah NP any more and I might not get a Christmas present.

October 12, 2013 at 9:07 am |
  138. Steve

The future doesn't bode well, How can a nation be solvent when its trade deficit runs $50B a month?

October 12, 2013 at 9:49 am |
  139. Alyssa

The government shutdown has not effected my life but it is a concern to me because my parents are always watching the news eveyday of the week but not saturday and it shows and tells how a lot of government officals have not made up their mind and a lot of people are suffering because of it!

October 12, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
  140. Breanna

This government shutdown has left me me with so many questions, I understand people need to have food and shelter but the problem is that they are asking for more money but they are not seeing that we are in DEPT ... The workers need to get paid a decent amount of money where they can feed there family and keep a shelter over there head. They need to understand we are trying our best to do what we can right now.

October 12, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
  141. Ethan

The shutdown has happened yes it has but it doesn't matter about the current situation Americans losing their jobs how will they make a solution to it???????

October 12, 2013 at 10:47 pm |
  142. Hailey

I think this sucks because people wont be being paid because of this and well i havent noticed this because i dont have a job to notice this but i think i now how some peaple who has been affected by it feels right now i now this really must suck for most people

October 13, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
  143. Julia

It's affecting me as a student. Library's are shut teachers without pay grocery stores closed. Everything is going haywire. My friends parents and mine are deployed so now we can't see them for longer. This government need to grab hold of themselves and this country! I have to do a research project on JFK and I can't do anything well as websites are also down!! And why on earth did the military have to get dragged in! My dad is getting lower pay now.

October 14, 2013 at 10:56 am |
  144. Taylor

I can't believe what is going on right now. Congress, and the President are fighting about money, when there money needs to be spent on our national debt. I think if we don't pay the bills on the right time, we can go into another great depression. U.S goverment, please WAKE UP!!!!

October 14, 2013 at 10:58 am |
  145. grace

this is affecting a lot of people worse than it it affecting me, and my aunt says that those people need to hurry up and start prioritizing, we all have a budget, but they don't seem to think they do.

October 14, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  146. Andrew

I think that the Congress and the president need to make the correct decision in a timely manner. I have not seen many changes with the government shutdown, but that may be because I live in a small town, yet I know that it has drastically affected some people.

October 14, 2013 at 11:51 am |
  147. Clare

We have a field trip to a park! I hope it doesnt get cancled!

October 14, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
  148. Jaslin

Well we are havering a tough time at school because teachers aren't getting paid. Our parents are deployed and we can't see them till longer. I want to say that our government needs to get a hold of itself!

October 15, 2013 at 11:05 am |
  149. TeNeil

I don't think it is fair that congress still gets paid but small business owners and others don't.

October 15, 2013 at 11:26 am |
  150. Brent

The government shutdown is ridiculous. Ghastly amounts of people are unemployed, and some such as prison workers are working for no pay. The government propositions that caused our lawmakers to shutdown the government would affect less people in general than this shutdown is currently affecting.

October 15, 2013 at 11:43 am |