.
March 31st, 2013

The Impact of Cheating

Investigators say adults are the culprits in a major cheating scandal in Atlanta’s public school system. Dozens of teachers and administrators have been charged in connection with the scandal. You can get the details in Monday’s program.

We’re curious about your thoughts on this story. What do you think the impact might be for students, teachers and the community?

John Martin, CNNSN Writer

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Peter

If even teachers begin to support cheating... this could be a real problem.

March 31, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • Tavar

Letting these kids cheat off of their teachers is not setting a example for the future generations to come. It isn't increasing the students intelligence at all if he/she gets additional help from a teachers; in the end the students are the victims in this situation.

April 2, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
    • Maddie

I agree. Next thing you know, teachers will be demanding higher pay for this even though they don't deserve it.

April 3, 2013 at 10:18 am |
      • Brooke

i agree

April 3, 2013 at 11:38 pm |
  2. Hiroki

When you cheat, your scores go up temporarily. But it does not mean your talent has been exploited.

March 31, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
  3. Felicia

It's a HUGE impact because the students think they can cheat. They can do whatever they want. That's not how the way schools work. The teachers who allowed this to happen should be ashamed. They gave the wrong information to the kids.

March 31, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
  4. Kai

I think that if we cheat that we don't learn any thing at all .that's what Schol is about LEARNING and cheating can have an impact on our life.

March 31, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
    • Ender

It is selfish and wrong for a teacher to purposefully change a student's test scores for their own interests.

April 2, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
  5. Emile

Once a cheater always a cheater.

March 31, 2013 at 9:18 pm |
  6. Emile

When you cheat it puts you behind the others. It is really hard to catch up.

March 31, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
  7. Elaine

Cheating? To me that's not right. Then again there are some people who make a living outta cheating...... I got nothing. Does anybody know anyone who makes a living by cheating? 😀 I don't.....

April 1, 2013 at 8:32 am |
  8. Aurora

I think that it is wrong to cheat in the first place, but to have your teachers say its ok to cheat and give you the answers to such an important test is crossing that moral line we all have. If we cheat on every thing then they don't learn anything which WILL impact our future.

April 1, 2013 at 8:34 am |
    • Sandra

I I am a retired teacher and I agree, but teachers are being forced to do this or get fired in some instances. It isn't right, it just is because of the unbelievable credibility given to standardized testing.

April 2, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
      • Rylee

I agree. But, why is the district forcing teachers to cheat? That is messed up and erases the line between right and wrong.

April 3, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
      • Brooke

they might be forcing the district to cheat because the US is behind all the other states and countries.

April 3, 2013 at 11:37 pm |
  9. Dustin

I believe the kids are the victims. Most likely there were some who did not want to cheat, and I believe the teachers would have to be bribed or threatened. I would think the teachers would want to see their students achieve goals, on their own.

April 1, 2013 at 9:10 am |
  10. Lacy

I think that teachers are just being greedy. If they think they will get a raise because of better scores their students have then they're coming at education all wrong. The students won't learn anything with out being corrected.

April 1, 2013 at 9:25 am |
    • Elaine

I agree. Teachers like that have no right to get a raise if they are cheating in order to get that raise.... shouldn't the principal of those schools do something about it or are they just gonna let it happen?

April 2, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
  11. Austin

I don't think teachers should help there students because if they really did teach there kids what they should be able to get a good score on their test and do it without help.

April 1, 2013 at 9:35 am |
  12. Dylan

If teachers are cheating by giving students answers for tests the students may be placed in classes too high for their knowledge. The students won't be able to show what they have learned and the teachers may end up going over topics that are not needed.

April 1, 2013 at 9:36 am |
  13. Kylie

What the teachers are doing is wrong, it won't benefit the kids it will only hurt them, It is selfish of the teachers to do that to the kids. Teachers are here to help the kids learn and that is only what they are here for. In the long run it won't benefit anyone.

April 1, 2013 at 9:36 am |
  14. Meggan

The kids would be impacted a lot more than the teachers. Especially when the kids look up to teachers, and they see them cheating. The kids are going to think cheating is okay.

April 1, 2013 at 9:37 am |
  15. Matthew

I think students involved in the scandal will have a hard time in the real world since they were given a "free grade" so that they basically won't know the real challenges behind the test.

April 1, 2013 at 9:38 am |

Cheating on standarized tests may help your school in some ways, but the biggest impact it has is on the students. If they didn't honestly earn the scores, it causes them to be moved to different classes that they might not be ready for. Which eventually causes them to fail and making it unable for them to reach their goals.

April 1, 2013 at 9:39 am |
  17. Jaquanet

I think the techers should get punished and the students shouldn't get punished unless they allowed the teachers to help them cheat. It will impact the teachers because a lot of teachers will get fired and everybody will be suspicous of the new teachers. I think it might impact the community because it might mean more security around the school to help people not cheat.

April 1, 2013 at 9:39 am |
  18. Derek

Obviously the students are mainly impacted in this situation. The higher your tests scores are, the harder classes you get in. If the kid struggles before he/she cheated and gets into a harder class, how will he/she learn?

April 1, 2013 at 9:39 am |
  19. Cailynn

If you do really well on standardized test, you can get into more challenging classes. This could badly effect students who need help in classes. No one would know if they were having trouble if their test scores are really good. this could effect how well they do in high school.

April 1, 2013 at 9:39 am |
  20. Missy

The outcome of teachers helping kids cheat would lead to more lazier and irresponsible students when it comes to their schoolwork. It would leave a bad reputation for the teachers and the community also.

April 1, 2013 at 9:39 am |
  21. Stewie

By doing this the students will not be benefited. They will not have good scores because they will not know what they are learning. They will be trying hard but will expect the teachers to give them answers.

April 1, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  22. Dallas

Cheating would slightly benefit the school, for example if your school was on a help list. It would also benefit the students by getting them a higher and better grade. But cheating would hurt the students because they could be put in a more advanced class, but they might have been struggling in a lower class in the same subject.

April 1, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  23. Ethan

the teachers should be punished, because it's not right to cheat, and kids need to learn there: math, science, social studies, English and other things. they need to learn these things or they wont have a good job in the future.

April 1, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  24. Josie

I think that when you take a test it should be of your own knowledge. The teachers can't help the students take a test because then nobody will know what the pupils have learned. If i went to take a test I go in wanting to see my results and look forward to a bright future.

April 1, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  25. Noah

I think that the teachers should be fired. They cheated on the tests. Then they don't know what kids need extra help for a subject.

April 1, 2013 at 9:41 am |
  26. kyle

it deos have its pros and cons it can help students pass but deosnt help them in the longrun because they can be put into harder classes where they wont succeed but it can help make the school money for a short time until the next test comes up

April 1, 2013 at 9:41 am |
  27. Haleigh

It's not right to use students to get more pay, it could cause them to be put in classes that are to difficult for them. It only makes the job harder for a teachers

April 1, 2013 at 9:41 am |
  28. Ally

By cheating on a major test, it might have a good result after you do it, but eventually you will get caught. When you do this, you are impacting more people in a bad way when they get older, they would be put into higher classes than the should be, and they will be behind in their classes.

April 1, 2013 at 9:42 am |
  29. Ben

I think that its wrong that they would abuse their students just to get more money.

April 1, 2013 at 9:42 am |
    • Sandra

I I doubt their motivation was the raise, it was probably just to keep the job. When things are corrupt at the top, the guy on the bottom is always the one to pay. The teachers are most likely as much victims as the students.

April 2, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
  30. Abigail

I think that the turn out would be very bad on the kids because if the adults do or help them cheat then they will come to the conclusion that cheating is ok and when they are older it will impact their choices in life.

April 1, 2013 at 9:42 am |
  31. Zachery

I think the teachers that were included in helping students cheat should be fired, because they were only thinking about themselves so they could get a raise and their hurting the students because students woulden't be able to get into college.

April 1, 2013 at 9:43 am |
  32. Luna

The cheating could leave some students to be in classes above their intellect, which could cause them to fail. When the student reaches high school and they don't know how to take the test or rely on teachers for answers they are going to fail. Also, if the students are in those high classes and really care about their GPA they will be let down when they fail their math all because they cheated. This could affect some teachers because they may not be involved and still get into trouble because there is no exact way to find out who all was involved, so the administrators could fire the wrong people on accident. Firing the wrong could lead to ruined family because that may be their only source of income. The community can be hurt because they rely on their high school graduates to come back and work, but when they don't get good enough grades to go to a good college they won't be allowed to work.

April 1, 2013 at 9:46 am |
  33. Haylie

If you really think about it, the teachers are doing the same thing as the students. Most students cheat because the classes they take are to hard for them. Lower your expectaions. Kids these days think that they can get away with cheating because no one does anything about it. The teachers give students test to make sure the kids know what they are learning about. The students should have checked the test themselves, then had the teacher check it agin. The principle should know weather the teachers are mature for the job, or not. The teachers should have thought about how much they get, before appying for the job.

April 1, 2013 at 9:48 am |
  34. Gabby

I think that cheating on a standardized test can affect not only the way that the individual learns, but their peers learning also. For example: If the class is moving along smoothly and they have a standardized test and say someone cheats, someone from a lower class can be bumped up and that strugling person can hold back the whole class. As an individual I personally am annoyed by a distraction to my learning.

April 1, 2013 at 9:53 am |
  35. Abita

it is impacting the future of Atlanta, because kid go to school to learn and study for when they grow up if you cheat/fake the you are not learning anything shame on you teachers.

April 1, 2013 at 10:02 am |
  36. Alyssa

I just think cheating wrong either way

April 1, 2013 at 10:10 am |
  37. sam

the impact for students would be big.

April 1, 2013 at 10:12 am |
  38. Jackson

If you cheat on a major test and you get older it is never going to get anywhere in life and if you take another test in life you will think that cheating is okay and you will fail that test again.

April 1, 2013 at 10:14 am |
  39. shyanne

Cheating is rong and you should never cheat, cheating will cuse your grades to go down

April 1, 2013 at 10:15 am |
  40. trevor

its good that most people don't cheat but if they do they need to stop

April 1, 2013 at 10:16 am |
  41. Priscilla

As someone who has before cheated in schoolwork, I can say definitively that when you get into a situation where you're on the spot to use what you've learned, and all you did was copy something off, everyone can see what happened, and it is much worse than having to study hard for a test or paper. Yet another proof that God's ways are the ways that are best!

April 1, 2013 at 10:20 am |
  42. Catie

I think that teachers should not have gave the answers, but it is part of the students fault for excepting the answers. Overall, this should never have happened. I hope it never happens again.

April 1, 2013 at 10:22 am |
  43. Jordan

SO??? That's the teachers choice, you know what your doing but the teachers should'nt dissrupt that.

April 1, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • Jordan

Ok? But its a big deal not something you can just make a decision.?

April 1, 2013 at 10:30 am |
  44. Sage

Well they don't get to really know the thing they need to so if they get in to a higher class they won't know what to do.

April 1, 2013 at 10:26 am |
  45. Haley

I think that it will impact everyone. The students arent getting the learning that they need and if they do well then they could be put in classes that are too advanced for them. The teachers could also get more money if the students do well.

April 1, 2013 at 10:28 am |
  46. Jordan

Teachers should be doing there job teaching. If they are doing their job correctly then why should they have to give answers? Students are going to get hurt by being put up in higher educated classes, They wont understand what to do. The teachers are making mistakes and they should have the consequences.

April 1, 2013 at 10:28 am |
  47. Savanah

It impacts them because if I cheat on something I need to know and I try to do it later in life its going to hurt me. It also hurts the teachers because there not really doing there job and if there not doing there job by teaching you then why have schools in the first place.

April 1, 2013 at 10:29 am |
  48. Kaitlyn

I think it's not benefiting the students. Sure, they get higher test scores. But they don't learn anything. In the future when they see the stuff that was on the test, they won't know what to do.

April 1, 2013 at 10:29 am |
  49. CoLiN

They wont know what to do on future test.And they wont know anything about that subject.

April 1, 2013 at 10:30 am |
  50. Jackiee

If there is no proof that the teachers are cheating then those teachers should not get fired or charged with fines. If the teachers are caught trying to help a student cheat, I believe they should then get fired and charged right away,

April 1, 2013 at 10:30 am |
  51. DiAnA

The teachers are getting more money while the students are in a higher class and don't even know what they're doing.

April 1, 2013 at 10:30 am |
  52. Jessica

The students don't learn anything from cheating, and the teachers are only doing the cheating for money. It doesn't help the students, because if they get good scores and get in a higher class they can fall behind and probably get held back.

April 1, 2013 at 10:30 am |
  53. Kylie

Students don't learn anything if a teacher is always helping them to cheat. Teachers in different areas might try to do that in other areas to see if they get caught too. The parents that have their kids in public schools might reconsider because they want their kids to learn on their own, not with the help of the teachers that won't be there to hold their hand forever.

April 1, 2013 at 10:31 am |
  54. Noah

The impact for the teacher would be they would get more money because they would get higher scores, the impact for the students would be they could get moved to a higher class and not understand it, the impact for the community would be the schools would look smarter.

April 1, 2013 at 10:31 am |
  55. Saebra

It could have impact on the student because the student could be put it a class that is too herd for them. The teacher can be impact because the better the score the more money thay can get.

April 1, 2013 at 10:32 am |
  56. Dillan

The students will be behind in classes and not know what to do in the future.

April 1, 2013 at 10:32 am |
  57. Haley

The teachers should help on cheating because some kid can get good grades and the teacher can get more money

April 1, 2013 at 10:32 am |
  58. Elizabeth

If i was there and my teacher told me the answers to my homework. I would tell the teacher what he/she i doing if the teacher continue i would tell the principal or student council.

April 1, 2013 at 10:33 am |
  59. Dillon

I think the teachers could have taught the students in the terms they understand in class possibly students came after school so that their test scores went up so that the teacher's could get a raise

April 1, 2013 at 10:34 am |
  60. Jeffrey

The students are not going to learn a thing if the teachers give them all the answers. The kids mit get put in a higher math class and not know what to do.

April 1, 2013 at 10:35 am |
  61. Cameron

Cheating makes a huge impact on everyone involved. The students will have a harder time in their future with life and grades.It affects the teachers and princpals because they can lose their jobs.

April 1, 2013 at 10:36 am |
  62. Rosie

No amount of money should be able to take away a kids right to learn. With the teachers doing this it is stealing the kids knowledge, and if kids don't learn, the future is in danger. Us kids are the future and we will probably be the ones paying taxes for the teachers and older peoples life insurance. If they help us cheat we will not learn and so no matter how much money they benefit now, they will not benefit in the long run.

April 1, 2013 at 10:37 am |
  63. Adam

This cheating scandal is a very dangerous thing. If the students are just getting the answer without learning the material they will get placed in higher level classes. If that happens they will not understand what the teachers are trying to teach them. In turn the students will get lower grades. The cheating Scandal is also very bad for the teachers. They could loose there job if they just give the answers away.

April 1, 2013 at 10:37 am |
  64. Dylan

If teachers helped students get higher scores on standardized tests, it may mean that the teachers get more pay, but it is bad for the student that gets moved into higher classes because the student does not understand how to do what everyone else is learning.

April 1, 2013 at 10:38 am |
  65. jared

I think that the teachers should let the sudents do their own work

April 1, 2013 at 10:39 am |
  66. Landon

I think it is to little reward if you get a high grade on your test the kid gets put in a high cass that kid would fail.And the teachers could get fired

April 1, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  67. ashton

people are willing to do anything for a few dollars so its not that surprising, although it is wrong.

April 1, 2013 at 11:12 am |
  68. Chase

I think its wrong to cheat, you never get anywear without being able to do things in tests yourself

April 1, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
  69. kaleb

the cheating scandle in school just makes me sick. the teachers should care about how the students advance in acidimics and not about the money

April 1, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
  70. Alexcia

The impact on students on cheating will not help them. Teachers are basically telling them cheating is good. How are they gonna know things in life, when they've been cheating?

April 1, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
    • emily

i think doing this to get money is selfish.kids need to know how to read questions and need to know how to actually get to the solutions by taking the steps.why would teachers cheat to gain a little money when you're taking away a valuable skill.not right.

April 2, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
  71. Mikey

I don't think that it is going to do any impact what so ever. Now the teachers might get in trouble but like i said it probably do no impact to the kids.

April 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
  72. Mateo

kids we only have learned to cheat in school and not have learned anything and when they are adults they will not be succsesful

April 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
  73. james

If the culprit is the teachers cheating then they were obviously not meant to be a teacher.

April 1, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
  74. Lohn

It likely a bad inpact on the on the commutiy also probaly gets the school a bad reputation.

April 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
  75. Braegan

I think that the students at Atlanta's public shcool are doing better because the teachers are the culprits of a cheeting scandal. The studants should just tell the teachers NO! If they give in to the teachers they will be the ones in trouble.

April 1, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
  76. Sabra

I think that cheating is not a good thing, especially teachers. You would think that your teacher wouldn't help you, or make you cheat. Teachers shouldn't think that cheating is a improvement, isn't the way to get better results.

April 1, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
  77. Madison

I think the teachers were VERY WRONG to cheat.The state tests are used to grade the students on what the student has learned.If the teachers wanted a bonus they should have taught the students enough to where they would score higher.I think the government should obeserve these schools when this has happened before,to ensure NO CHEATING takes place.

April 1, 2013 at 12:13 pm |

How will these kids ever be prepared for college if they don't trully know the material? All these parents want their kids to succeed yet will have a hard time paying for college knowing their kids have been robbed of their education.

April 1, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
  79. Hilda

I think that the teachers should be punished because its unfair if they didn't because they know better

April 1, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
  80. Karen

Why is so much stress put into one test? We learn in different ways so why assess us all in one way? Stress causes people to do bad things and these test cause a lot of stres for all involved!

April 1, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
  81. Ally

they will take this whole thing out on the innocent. just like the gun crisis the innocent people are getting punished. poor kids

April 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
  82. Lukas

People now know not to cheat on the state test. I think the people cheated should be ashamed.

April 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
  83. leslie

I don't think that the teachers should blame the students for cheating because what if they aren't really cheating what
    if they just know it. But I do think that they should cheat if they did cheat or not. Thats what I think about cheating and not cheating.

April 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
  84. skylar

I think that they should blame the teachers because they are being told to cheat.

April 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
  85. alex

How will these kids ever be prepared for college if they don't trully know the material? All these parents want their kids to succeed yet will have a hard time paying for college knowing their kids have been robbed of their education

April 1, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
  86. jake

April 1, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
  87. Baylee

I think that it will impact children, teachers, and parents in a bad way because children won't be very smart, teachers will be afraid to mess up on accident, and parents will have a bad look on teachers. It isn't really the childrens fault.

April 1, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
  88. jacob

i think the teachers are cheating because they want the little brats out of there class.

April 1, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
  89. ray

This effects the kids because they will have to retake the test. They also trusted their teachers and looked up to them but the teachers let them down.

April 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
  90. gabby

those teachers that give the answers to the kids is bad because they wont learn a lot

April 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
  91. Mari

I think this was a bad idea in the first place. The teachers should NOT have given the answers to the students. This will just make the students dumber. If i were one of the students i would say no because i know it is not a great idea and i would disappoint my parents for cheating.

April 1, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
  92. caden

I think that cheating is just dumb and when people do it they are taking the risk of getting the answer or problem wrong and if you cheat you are not getting the knowledge or information that you need

April 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
  93. Marquise

I don't think teachers should help there students because if they really did teach there kids what they should be able to get a good score on their test and do it without help. also it gives the school a really bad name...

April 1, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
  94. jordan

i think they shouldn't do that because there not learning anything.if they do the work for them whats the point in coming to school.all the people involved should be fired.

April 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
  95. dominique

I disagree with teachers who give there students answers to a standardized test. How will the kids really understand the meaning of the test if there just handed the answers.

April 1, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
  96. Elijah

They are not learning when you do that.They need to not cheat. They are getting dumber.

April 1, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
  97. Jonathan

I disagree about teachers giving out answers to students to do on the test. I think this because it's unfair to them getting answers from teachers. If I got answers from my teachers then I wouldn't learn anything.

April 1, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
  98. Kaitlyn

I think when you cheat you do not learn anything at all so I don't think people should cheat. Also you will not always have those people to cheat off of. You will never understand it if you cheat so do not cheat. Please show my comment Carl. So I can get extra credit.

April 1, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
  99. Mrs. Mackie

I do not get why they cheat. It does not help them in life.

April 1, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
  100. Lindsay

IF you cheat you will not learn anything.

April 1, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
  101. Kathrine

I like to cheat.

April 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
  102. Amanda

Well some people need to cheat to get there grades up in school. So they can get into college.

April 1, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
  103. Fellie

I cheat all the time. Just joking. I think those people need to do there own work. They will not learn anything if they do not do it themselves. I think teachers should give punishments to the students who do it. If they catch them. Love you Carl!

April 1, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
  104. Cooper

Cheating impacts the kids the cheat the most because if they cheat of someone smarter than them, when they grow up, they will not know what to do in their job so they will be fired and never get a job. Cheating has an impact on teachers also because if they love their job and they get caught helping their kids cheat, then they will be fired

April 1, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
  105. Joe

I believe that the students being taught in these schools are receiving bad morals from their teachers to get their way in life by doing the wrong thing. Learning is the most important part of a child's life. Corrupting it is like a crime. The teachers shouldn't be forced to make their students cheat regardless of what their co-workers say. This story, in my opinion, all comes down to personal values and how they are upheld in an education environment.

April 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
  106. Dawn

I think education is something you work for not to be provided for you. It's your chose if you want to learn or not. You will not learn any thing if the answer are given to you.

April 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
  107. Aiden

when something like this happens the impact must be big. this is so because when a student cheat he fails or he gets a detention but a teacher probally gets fired and thestudent doesnt truly now the material.

April 1, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
  108. Matt

If teachers cheat then they might be thought badly about. I think they should just teach well and hopefully they won't have to worry about cheating. If the teachers cheat that means the don't believe in the student. That means the teachers don't believe they taught the kids well enough to know their stuff.

April 1, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
  109. Shiv

The shocker to me is that the teachers (who teach us to do the right thing always) are cheating. This shows that if they can do this the school system in Atlanta may lose students because the students are not learning anything. To the parents that would equal a waste of money and time. This is not the right thing to do and the teachers have done very WRONG.

April 1, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
  110. Maria

This is a big problem. If teachers are more worried about what they get payed over their students education, they should not be a teacher. The only thing they are teaching their students is that cheating is okay. But it's not. Also, if our teacher cheats for us, what are we learning? Nothing. And if our teachers cheat, we will never see if we are progressing or not learning.

April 1, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
  111. Ahliya

I honestly don't care beacuse its not me cheating on a test therefor i have no interest

April 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
  112. bobby

How will these kids ever be prepared for college if they don't know the material All the parents want their kids to succeed but will have a hard time paying for college knowing their kids have been robbed of their education.

April 1, 2013 at 4:52 pm |
  113. kyle

I think it hurt the kids education wise. Also now for future tests the parents might not belive their kids scores because of this abomination. Also because now the school is going to be closley watched probaly for future tests to make sure no cheating is going on.

April 1, 2013 at 4:52 pm |
  114. jessica

i think the teachers changing the answers on the students test is wrong. How are students spouse to now what they need help on if teachers are changing answers.

April 1, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
  115. Dean

The teachers have no right to change the students test scores to get more money. I feel that it is wrong that teachers used the students to make a profit. If it was up to me i would have the students retake the test.

April 1, 2013 at 4:54 pm |
  116. rutta

I think that was a bad idea. why whould the teacher make there kids not try there hrades . babbbbbbb teacher ..

April 1, 2013 at 4:54 pm |
  117. mc lovin

i think cheating is a way of doing a shourt cut as your friends helping you now that is a true friend.
    thats helps you out but cheating is a way of life taking shoutcuts

April 1, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
  118. casiana

This "cheating" thing is a serious problem. You or the student is being robbed of an oppertunity. Teachers jobs are their to help. Their job is to teach and to guide. Their job is to not to give us a "Easy A".

April 1, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
  119. Sid

I think that it is their problem if they want to cheat, let them it will reflect later on and they will have to pay for it later I personally would have no prob. with it if it did not happen to me all be it, it is hard, the standardized test but I still want to do it honestly. SHAME ON YOU TEACHERS!!!!!!Oh man I'm crying now.

April 1, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • Rylee

I totally agree. In the words of Obama, "Shame on you teachers." (Okay i'm paraphraseing but that is not the point.) We need to take action to cheating now. Not in two years, not when we graduate, now. And teachers encouraging it? Does that sound a bit werid to anyone?

April 5, 2013 at 5:31 pm |

Cheating is never ok, If our teachers and administration are manipulating our grades whats the point of all work we've put into it before the test? Even the kids who are earning good grades might stop trying if they know their teachers will bump it up anyways, and the students who get bad grades anyways won't be pushed to try harder.

April 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
  121. Jason

Teachers who cheat aren't teachers at all they want to have easy sucsess

April 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
  122. yissel

i think that cheating is not good at all it does not help kids be sucessful orbe pround of what they can accomplish.

April 1, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
  123. Caitrina

If teachers and even students were to cheat on tests this would mean no more trust for the town. The town would not be able to trust the teacher and with our environment today, nobody is trusted. Because of what some of those teachers did, I feel like our world isn't a very good environment to be learning in. I'm afraid of what the future brings because I'm afraid that it won't be as safe as it was three years ago.

April 1, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
  124. Mason

When I heard that adults were giving student's answers for state tests on the show today I was astonished. What kind of teacher doesn't allow their students to learn?

April 1, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
  125. Greylyn

Even if it brings up the schools ratings they have to think about how it will affect the students. Students wont get by in life by cheating so why should teachers prepare them like that.

April 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm |
  126. Ben

Teachers supporting cheating is dumb because you get smarter if you have a honest grade not a cheated grade.

April 1, 2013 at 10:07 pm |

Education isn't about test scores and IQs, it's about learning. It's all very well to have a school that seems to be very good, and students that seem to be quite intelligent, but there is more to life than high school. It will be a struggle for the students to survive through college and beyond if they never actually learn the material. Cheating is just awful for everyone involved.

April 1, 2013 at 10:11 pm |
  128. Ben

The saying, "cheaters never win" may be pretty cliché, but it holds heavy weight. In this case, even the innocent eventually have to pay for the teachers' mistake.

April 1, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
  129. Arturo

What never seen teachers doing this. I'm glad these people got caught before they infected other students. Nobody should support cheating any any type or form. How will this help anyone. Sure might pass a class but you're going to use it later on and you'll have no idea what they mean...That's the big problem of cheating.

April 1, 2013 at 11:12 pm |
  130. Ella

Well,my opinion is that if teachers are changing the answers on the tests of their students (cheating), just to get more money for the school it's not going to turn out as well as they think it will. May be that no one will find out right now but then when those kids will grow up, but they won't have anything in their brain.

April 2, 2013 at 3:37 am |
  131. Maddie

The cheating teachers should be fired. If teachers keep giving the answers, the students will be depending on getting the answers for the rest of their lives, and that won't help them get a job.

April 2, 2013 at 10:04 am |
  132. Justin

If the teachers start to support cheating , then we'll have a lot of jobless people in the future

April 2, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  133. Kyleigh

I thought Parents and Teachers are supposed to be role models in our lives. Who are we supposed to look up to now?

April 2, 2013 at 11:23 am |
  134. Ava

it's a bad influence

April 2, 2013 at 11:41 am |
  135. Siddharth

Though your test score has gone up, you will be praised for a temporary amount of time, as time goes on you will eventually see that the fake talent has been exploited.

April 2, 2013 at 12:52 pm |
  136. Elliott

The teachers are completely doing the wrong thing. Why would they cheat? That's just downright awkward.

April 2, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
  137. Nathaniel

The unfortunate thing is that this scandal will make students who worked hard to get high scores have an appearance of cheating. What one person does wrong can affect a whole bunch of other people.

April 2, 2013 at 2:58 pm |
  138. yissel

i think that cheating is not good at all its bad for the teachers and the sudents it wont help them in the long run or make them be proud of something the accomplished

April 2, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
  139. Matt

This sort of thing will bring up the student's score temporarily, but if this would happen it would be encouraging the student not to study, and that could really hurt their grade in the future.

April 2, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
  140. Cesar

I think that cheating is bad because you will not know how much a student knows.

April 2, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
  141. Tanya

I think that teachers should not let their students cheat. They need to learn; cheating will not help. If they cheat it will not help for the future. Especially, on a test. During a test it's your time to shine, and show what you know.

April 2, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  142. Nestor

I think its wrong for the teacher to give the answers to the student because the students wont be able to get good education and the students wouldn't learn anything. How will students be able to go to high school without any education?

April 2, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  143. Makiah

I think it's wrong to cheat and if a student does cheat what does the student learn and he/she won't no what to do in college. In life they will think that life is only about cheating.

April 2, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  144. Faith

How will the kids learn by their self if the teachers are giving the students the answers? When they get to high school they won't be able to do anything by there self because they don't have the teacher to give them the answers. Then they will fail the class. Why would the teachers do that is only being selfish?

April 2, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  145. Phu Phu

I think it is very wrong for the teacher to let the student cheat. How would they go to college if they don't learn? The more they cheat the less the students learn. If you want the student learn than teach them not letting the cheat. I said the more you teach the better they learn not by cheating.

April 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
  146. Alfredo

Why do people cheat and want to go to the next grade and want two succeed from that grade and learn form the grade after cheating in class without learning anything?

April 2, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
  147. Chris

I think the schools that have teachers that are cheating for the students, they should have video in the teachers rooms or watching the all over the schools and if the teachers do it again let them go.

April 2, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
  148. Reyna

I think teachers shouldn't give kids the answers during a test because a kid might not understand the question and gets the answers from their teachers, and later on they wouldn't know what to do and get it wrong. Students won't learn because they are just getting answers and not actually learning what they need to learn.

April 2, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
  149. Futytia

It is wrong for those teacher to help the kids cheat on the test because their supposed to see on the test if they learned anything during the year. They should just let them try there hardest on it so they could go to college and get a degree so they can get a good job once they grow up.

April 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
  150. Brianna

I think the teachers were wrong about giving the students the answers.What if your in 3rd grade and cheating still it was a bad mistake that teacher made?

April 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
  151. Andrew

When cheating you start to not know what it means when they find out they are not doing the right thing. So doing this is not going thing because you can forget about what the question then you start get confuse and get it wrong.

April 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
  152. Jessica

I think that what the teachers did was a VERY WRONG thing to do, and they shouldn't be doing this because they are setting a bad example for the student's, and the students shouldn't be held against this because it was the teachers that decided to make this decision.

April 2, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
  153. Jesus

I think that cheat is not a good idea because when the teacher are ask to prove there strength in reading or math they will discover that they can't.Then they will realize that they improved too much or you would say "to good to be true".Then the teacher will have to teach have to teach the kid thing that they won't understand.

April 2, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
  154. Traylon

I disagree with the fact the teachers would try to bribe students with answers. This makes me sick this is destroying the whole purpose of being a teacher. It makes the school look horrible would never think in years a teacher would do such a thing.This cheating has to stop.

April 2, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
  155. Hans

The teachers should stop the cheating because the kids will have trouble when they go to high school and will only cheat when there need to.

April 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
  156. Jimmy

Kids should not cheat. What will they learn in life if they will go to college? If you cheat think about what you will be in the future so teens,kids,and young adults that take internet college should not cheat that is what I think about cheating so never cheat.

April 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
  157. Jade

It surprise`s me when someone cheats, because if thier grades are down someone will suspect something is going on. If teachers are so worried about their students failing then why don`t they try harder and put all thier effort in their job. Its not right giving students the answer because its like asking them what they want to be when they grow up, only its not what they want to be, its a total lie.

April 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
  158. Chhabi

i think cheating is very bad.

April 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
  159. Luis

I think teachers have to show kids the right thing not the bad and every students have a right to learn the right thing to do is to put a stop to it or know kids will get low in test scores and there parents wii get mad on them.

April 2, 2013 at 4:45 pm |
  160. Kate

I think cheating is wrong kids wont get to learn in school. Why help kids in test? let them do their own work for they could learn.

April 2, 2013 at 4:45 pm |
  161. Jorge.

Parents want their children to succeed in school but how are they going to succeed with all this cheating? So i think the kids need to stop cause it's messing their own grade up in school.

April 2, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
  162. Monique

If the students are taught that cheating is OK, they will cheat when they're older. Then we'll have a country of cheaters...great.

April 2, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
  163. Miguel

I think cheating is not fair to the kids they are getting their education stolen .How are they gonna graduate when teachers are cheating and are not giving students the time to get organized and teachers should challenge them to get answers right.

April 2, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
  164. Faith

April 2, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
  165. Lidia

Stop cheating! Why give the kids the answers when your not helping,your just making things worst! Helping may be another thing but cheating is a whole different story.I dislike people that ruined kids education.

April 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
  166. Luis

April 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
  167. Traylon

I disagree with the fact the teachers would try to bribe students with answers. This makes me sick this is destroying the whole purpose of being a teacher. It makes the school look horrible
    i would never think in years a teacher would do such a thing.This cheating has to stop.

April 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
  168. Cesar

I think that cheating is bad because you will not know how much a student knows

April 2, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  169. Julia

Students are greatly affected by their teachers opinions and morals. If the teachers support cheating in any way, then the students' moral compasses will be affected.

April 2, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
  170. Will

Spoken as a TEACHER!
    It's a big CLICK in the Atlanta Public Schools.
    Their like crabs in a bucket, As one trys to climb out, another one pulls down.
    They step on people to climb up the latter, not knowing when you fall those people you stepped on going up, will be there on your way coming down. God doesn't like ugly!
    THE TIME HAS COME!

April 2, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
  171. Stephanie

It's really important to stop the cheating in the test. Teachers might have told their student the answers to a quiz which makes student think they are lucky to know the answers. Our parents just want the best for us. We came to learn and go to school which gives us luck. They should probably fire the teachers who give answers! Why would we just go to school just to get answers we need to learn because what our teacher shows us is what we need to learn in order to grow up.

April 2, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
  172. Kasey

I feel that cheating on the mastery tests is impacting the students in a bad way. The teachers are selfish to help kids cheat so they can be payed extra money. This is going to impact the children so badley when they reach high school and college. WHen they don't have the teachers telling them the answers, they won't be able to complete important work duties. I also personally think that teachers take the mastery test way too seriously. In my school, most of the year is spent preparing for the tests. When we ask the teachers when we would even use this in real life, they said you will on the mastery test. I would rather be preparing for life in school than for a week long testing.

April 2, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
  173. Titus

I think they should tell them they did or they'll get themselves in more trouble. But i don't think the kids had anything to do with it.

April 2, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
  174. Ty

The teachers are the real thieves trying to get the bonuses

April 2, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
  175. Noah

The scandal is evidently impacting the school now because of all the negative attention that the cheating has brought. But also, this will have a lasting impact on the school, because the school's credibility will drop. It's goal to teach students many life-skills, and how to prepare them for life, is now going to be tainted because of this event. Also, it will have a lasting impact on the students, because unfortunately, now that this cheating took place in their school when they were taking tests that will impact their educational resumes, from now on, colleges will have to take into consideration that they could have possible been a part of the scandal, or they have could been influenced by it.

April 2, 2013 at 8:41 pm |
  176. Courtney

I think this is truly wrong. Teachers are role models for many children, and they are basically teaching the children that it is ok to cheat.

April 2, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
  177. Debra Jean

This will effect kids when they get older and when they are trying to get into a good college but have smaller chances because they got help on the test and wont learn and my grammy told me that cheating is never right! LOVE YOU GRAM GRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:*

April 2, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
  178. Courtney

The children's grades might be good, but their real knowledge might not be as good. When teacher's lie about a score on a test, they are lying to the kids and the community. They're basically telling everyone that the kid got 100% on his test, but in reality, the kid didn't do very well. They need to be honest on what score the student got. Lying and cheating is also setting a bad example, on top of it all.

April 2, 2013 at 9:05 pm |
  179. Christopher

The biggest issue here is how terrible our city education system's have become to rely on cheating to raise district scores. In the Dallas Independent School District, the high school drop out rate is 50%. With such miserable statistics, why wouldn't district officials consider trying to pull off cheating scandals? The same is probably true with Atlanta. Also, these areas need to emphasize the importance of education to the parents. If these parents are high school drop outs themselves, have children before marriage, and often fall into lives of crime and drugs, why would they care about promoting a safe environment for their children's education? If they dun ain't stop talking like so, then maybe school districts wouldn't have to resort to such desperate measures as cheating to mask the real problems hiding inside their communities. And interestingly, 54% of Atlanta is of African-American descent continuing the trends seen in other African-American parts of cities including Dallas and Chicago where low school grades and overall community ignorance have led to other cheating rings in the past. Instead of trying to cover up their disinterested students, they should try and educate the children at young ages to avoid drugs, premarital pregnancies, and violence that have ultimately led a community like Atlanta to resort to school cheating.

April 3, 2013 at 2:10 am |
  180. Trinity

Cheating is not good people want to know what you know not what other people know

April 3, 2013 at 8:18 am |
  181. Ali

By cheating it gives the kids a message saying they can do whatever they want in life, but thats not how the world works. It also gives them good grades when relly they don't know anything about it which will affect our future because no one will know how to do anything.

April 3, 2013 at 8:34 am |
  182. Ralph

Cheating is a serious problem because when they go and write tests like SAT or SSAT how are they going to success the test by cheating all day and getting good marks without a single effort.

April 3, 2013 at 8:45 am |
  183. Sujin

When teachers cheat,the kids might think thank you but later as they get older, the kids will have a hard time getting what they are learning. Thus results in bad grades later on.

April 3, 2013 at 9:00 am |
  184. Jonathan

If the teachers help them cheat then they will never learn and they will always try and cheat. Bottom line.

April 3, 2013 at 9:35 am |

The students in my opinion could be in fault. Why? Because are parents have always taught us that cheating is not good but they also have taught use to listen and respect our olders. In this particular situation they should have disopayed the teachers and have just done their own work.The teachers on the other hand should be fired and should spend a little time in the slammer maybe to straighten them out a little bit.

April 3, 2013 at 9:38 am |
  186. Allie

I believe that it is wrong to cheat. But people do that all the time, and if the teachers change the answers then the lord knows what they did and will protect the children. Also it is just wrong for teachers to cheat for their students because if students don't get a few wrong then how will they ever learn.

April 3, 2013 at 9:43 am |
  187. Shauna.

Theres absolutely no way the students will be ready for whats coming up in the future if the teachers aren't letting them learn by themselves. The state testing is to test the students on what they have learned. By time testing comes around, grade averages are going to drop.

April 3, 2013 at 9:46 am |
  188. Austin

its ok to cheat as long as you don't get caught. if you aint cheating you aint trying

April 3, 2013 at 9:53 am |

I think it`s ok to cheat sometimes but not all the time, but you shouldnt be dependant on it because that would make testing pointless

April 3, 2013 at 11:39 am |
  190. Dylan

if it doesn't hurt anybody besides yourself and your personality that's your problem

April 3, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
  191. robert

cheating is definetly wrong. i personally think giving an answer to someone, THEN EXPLAINING HOW you got the answer so that they learn to do it theirselves, isnt wrong. its almost like teaching them.

April 3, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
  192. Rose

Ususally kids don't want to take the state test and always dream about not being able to take it. But when teachers want to take advantage of kids like for money it's just shocking.

April 3, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
  193. Bradley

Teachers should not change students answers on a state test just for the bonuses. If those teacher really wanted to help their students they would have taught them better instead of having them cheat.

April 3, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
  194. Rylee

Cheating is a world-wide problem and we need to end it. If teachers are giving students answers, just think about what an unfair advantage they're being given. To me, I would feel pretty awful if I was given answers to a test even if I was struggling in the subject.

April 3, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
  195. Connor

Cheating is just wrong. I would rather fail trying rather than ace the test knowing I didn't try

April 3, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
  196. Jane

Cheating in schools impacts the whole community, especially students. When I think of a teacher, I think of a role model and a leader. If my role models are teaching me to cheat just so they’ll get paid more, the world today is a very sad place. Not only does this scandal affect the students, the teachers will be affected as well. Their “smart” plan to get paid more will most likely soon get them fired and replaced. Not only that, but if I was a teacher who helped students cheat, I would never be able to live with that in the back of my mind. Cheating is basically failing. If your cheat on a test and get caught, you will fail the test and maybe even the class. But, if you’re a teacher and you help children cheat on a test, you are basically failing your job. Cheating is a big deal, and in some cases, it can impact whole communities.

April 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
  197. Bryson

If the teachers and staff are supporting cheating then won't the students think it would be ok to cheat ALL the time...their might be some great problems

April 4, 2013 at 12:02 am |
  198. Becca

Cheating is never the right thing to do. If teachers support cheating then they shouldnt be teachers. Teachers who cheat for kids to do well, only want the money. They dont even care about the kids.

April 4, 2013 at 11:33 am |
  199. Mary

Cheating is not right. If teachers allow cheating, more students will be dependent on cheating. They will most likely face bigger problems when they are in the work world.

April 4, 2013 at 11:35 am |
  200. Holly

I think that changing students answers on a test is totally wrong . If the teachers had to change the answers than obiously then they didn't teach them what they needed to learn and know.

April 4, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
  201. bryan

ii think the teachers that have been telling the kids the answers for the STAR testing should be fired or punished.

April 4, 2013 at 12:52 pm |
  202. Joe

IIf the teachers help kids cheat it could relly change how they do in life because there education would be thought to be much higher than it was so they would get classes much to hard for themselves and relly change how they do in life.

April 4, 2013 at 12:55 pm |

Teachers changing test scores will just get them fired and will make the student have trouble in class.

April 4, 2013 at 12:58 pm |