.
March 26th, 2013

Worth the Weight?

An economics professor came up with an idea to save on jet fuel and potentially reduce pollution. He says those are affected by the total weight of a plane, and a big part of that comes from passengers and their luggage. His idea: the more you and your luggage weigh, the more you should pay.

What do you think? Will his idea fly? Tell us in the comments below.

John Martin, CNNSN Writer

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Brock

I think this is an excellent idea. I'd be more than willing to pay extra for my luggage if it meant that I would be helping to conserve fuel. If implemented, this would "balance" luggage fees out.

March 26, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
    • Max

I agree with your ideas, I didn't even consider how this would effect standard luggage fees.

March 26, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
      • Thomas

I think the weight should not be big people should pay more is not right

March 27, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
      • Jackson

I would like to help the planet but I do not want my tickets to cost more.

March 27, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
    • Tory

I agree with the idea of saving fuel and lowering the carbon dioxide in the air. Yet, this can still make people feel bad about their bodies that they were born with. You shouldn't have to pay more if you weigh more because it's not your fault.

March 27, 2013 at 11:24 am |
    • Iysha

I think it's not fair that overweighted people have to pay more.😑

March 27, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
    • Jessica

I think it's cheap of the airlines and a waste of time it's already a long time to get through security but its In barrassing
      To some passengers to be weighed in front of other people. Especially when some people may have health issues. They shouldn't be penalized .

March 27, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
    • Robert

I think they should it has less pollution and they would need to have less gas for the airplane but they shouldn't pay more because it may not be fair to them

March 27, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
    • Malin

I think they should keep it the way they had it and not charge people for weight

March 27, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
    • Monica

I think it no fair because no matter ur size u all should pay the same price

March 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
    • Daeshawn

I think that is a good idea so we can't wase that much money and it will help people that are big lose som weight so they can get on the plane.

March 27, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
    • Michael

No because that is not rite they should pay regular price

March 27, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
    • John

I think it might be a good idea, but I think that people should be weighed with their luggage so they won't have to be embarrassed about their weight

March 27, 2013 at 7:57 pm |

I think its not a good idea because you already pay a bigger amount of money on how far you go. I think then instead of people flying and then renting a car they would just take their car so then in the end it would be about the same. Also you have limited space for your luggage already in a plane, so unless you want people stinky, then don't add more money for more luggage.

March 26, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • Max

It was my assumption that the airlines would not merely add an extra charge determined by weight to the original charge for airfare, but that for people under the average weight, the ticket would be cheaper than regularly, and vice versa. Also, I doubt that people that regularly fly would change their habits to driving just because of this pricing change, mainly because flight is a much quicker option, gasoline has grown to be quite expensive, and, depending on the length of the journey, you may be required to pay for logging. You must not forget that one can not drive over an ocean, and would only be able to fly or take a boat, which would be quite a delay. Lastly, while there might not be much room for carry-on luggage on a airplane, there will certainly be enough room if you check it in.

March 26, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
      • Javaunt'e

I think it's fair we need to protect the planet from pollution we need to go green power to the planetP.S. hi mom

March 27, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
      • RAMIR

I think fat people shouldn't be aloud and I like the idea they should be so fat!!!!

March 27, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
    • Daphne

I think this is a very bad idea. I like the fact that they are trying to help the environment. Some people can't even help the fact that there over weight. Maybe they could only pay more for more luggage. But the weight thing is just NOT FAIR!

March 27, 2013 at 11:27 am |
    • Celeste

Well I don't think that's right because just because the person big don't mean they have to pay more money what if that person don't have enough money

March 27, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
  3. Maria

I don't see a problem with using the weight of someone's luggage, but using the weight of a person just doesn't seem right. Some people are insecure about their weight and it isn't fair for someone who weighs more to pay more.

March 26, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
    • Max

Just because people may be "insecure" about their weight, this does not change the added fuel consumption, a cost for the airline, and the added CO2 output of the plane, a cost for the environment. In few cases in human history has one's emotions overruled one's greed for profit.

March 26, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
      • Elijah

I don't agree because my dad is a little fat so no

March 27, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
      • Bennett

I would certainly be angry and embarrassed if my parents had to pay extra for a plane ticket because of my weight.

March 27, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
      • Rebecca

Some people have a medical or inherited condition with their wieght. If it was you, would you think it is fair to punish these people?

March 27, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
      • Brooke

i do not agree fully because if you wieghed lets say... 160 pounds and you were on a plane with really mean people that wieghed a little less, people would laugh when the assistant said your wieght. i am sometimes very insecure with my wieght, and i would just rather take the road trip than sit on a plane with a bunch of rude people.

March 27, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
    • Lilly

Good Idea

March 26, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
    • Sophia

I like your comment!

March 27, 2013 at 9:49 am |
    • IluvCARL4LYFE

I think this is a great idea. Small children shouldn't have to pay as much as an obese man, and maybe this will encourage people to lose some excessive weight.

March 27, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
  4. Menolly

I think it is a good idea but some people are naturally thin. I am one of those people. My parents have been feeding me whole, not decreased fat off of anything practically since I was born. Because of that airline companies would probably lose lots of money on it.So I think in all yes it is a good idea but maybe it shouldn't be put in to effect.

March 26, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • Max

I agree with you that some individuals have higher metabolism rates than others, but unfortunately, the factor that the airline truly cares about is pricing. If someone ate the same as another person, but was "naturally thin", the heavier person with the same eating habits would still cost the airline more money for refueling. Naturally, this seems unfair, considering that the first person is no more deserving of the discount than the second, but the second person will just have to try harder to keep themselves in shape, and to protect the environment with less fuel consumption.

March 26, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
  5. Preetham

The travellers are already paying for the ticket/seat and the price for the luggage we carry. Prices for the luggage are already too high, so why do you need to add on the weight of the traveller. That is rude to the travellers and should not be seen in the public, especially in a crowded area. This can also embarrass a person when he/she has a larger price, meaning this person weighs too much plus you are adding to the price of a luggage.

March 26, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
  6. Dan

I think this is a ridiculous idea. People may not be able to help it, being overweight, and other people are naturally slim. Though I support the environment, I strongly disagree with the idea. A fact shows that some people are overweight because they can't afford healthy foods. Is it fair to charge them more for that?

March 26, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
  7. Jacob

I think its a smart idea to weigh people before they get on a plane, but like Carl said, "it could take a while to get through security and potentially a weigh station."

March 26, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
  8. Adrianna

This ins't a good idea. It shouldn't matter how much people way. They are who they are and no one can change that. If they want to save fuel they have to think of something else. People who weigh a little more should NOT have to pay more money. Everyone should pay the same amount of money for a plane ticket and for their luggage.

March 26, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
  9. Rogelio

I think most passengers would not mind paying for the weight of their luggage, but having to be weighed and charged on your weight would probably anger many passengers.

March 26, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
  10. Valerie

I think this is a good idea because, not only would it conserve fuel,but it would also encourage Americans to lose some weight!

March 26, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
  11. Michaela

Airlines should charge people more for the weight of their luggage if it can help the environment, but should not charge more for the weight of the person.

March 26, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • Jordyn

Well on my be half is that's mean and they haven't did it before so y now it's not there flat that can't stop eating but that's my opion so thank u and bye

March 27, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
  12. Max

I believe that it is a good idea to use weight of luggage and passengers to determine pricing, because people are heavier and's baggage is heavier costs the airline more money, where as someone conservative with the weight they are bringing on to the plane would cost the company less in fuel. Also, this would help protect the environment because, as cost as an incentive, passengers would most likely take much less luggage on their flights, thus saving fuel. As a final argument, this could also motivate those who are nutritionally challenged to eat healthier and exercise more, because they could procure cheaper flights.

March 26, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
  13. Vicran

It's always good to save the environment and reduce pollution to help animals but im my opinion someone's weight can be very personal to them so I'd say this is a good overall idea about the environment but they shouldn't start it.

March 26, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
  14. kyden

i think its a bad idea because if someone is behind you,you wouldn't want them to see your weight...that's a little personal

March 26, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
  15. Rabab

The weight of people is their own business so paying more for your weight is not right. Peoples feelings are hurt this way. I am an incredibly thin person but still feel body weight should not be a factor in airline prices.

March 26, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
  16. Isabella

I think it is a good and smart idea because it helps the earth and might motivate some people to become thinner so they can travel where they want to.

March 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
  17. Keyera

i think that is a good idea because if you want to go some were don't pack a lot and you should lay off the fast food

March 26, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
  18. Eli

There is no problem paying for the weight of the luggage but when it comes to the weight of the person that is going a little to far. Plus people already have to pay for the distance they travel. It would not be fair for a person that weighs more to pay more.

March 26, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
  19. Marajha

i think it is a good idea because you should not pack 20 lb of stuff to go some were eles in the usa

March 26, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
  20. Keysha

i don't think it fair because its like judging some one by there weight and they should not pay more

March 26, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
  21. Connor

It depends how you look at. If your naturally big then it wouldn't exactly be fair. But I'm big on ideas on saving our planet

March 26, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
  22. Philip

Although this would vary people's ticket depending on how much fuel they use up and would probably encourage weight loss among travelers, the amount of fuel used up by each individual person is probably so small that it wouldn't be practical to make passengers pay the extra money because of their weight.

March 26, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
  23. JUSTIN

think is a good idea because it will encourage people to lose some weight to save more money

March 26, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
  24. Robert

I think this is a bad idea because people should not be paying more. You are already paying money for the ride there. Also, you only get a limited amount of luggage to bring anyways.

March 26, 2013 at 8:29 pm |
  25. John

I think this is a good idea. I like this because It will cause less pollution. It will make people bring fewer bags. The planes will smell less bad. I think some of the airlines should have this idea n this idea. Other airlines should not have these ideas for people who dislike the idea.

March 26, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
  26. Braxton

March 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm |
  27. Cyrus

I wouldn't see a problem in this for airlines. if it's only a couple of dollar fee, many people wouldn't notice because of how pricy airline tickets are today.

March 26, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
  28. Somil

It is bad idea. Since the budget cut, there are less people working at airport. This will make security check much longer.

March 26, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
  29. Hiroki

Those who get on a plane have already paid too much money on the tickets, so I will use less planes than before.

March 26, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
  30. Aaron

It is bad idea. It is unfair to heavy people because they have to pay more than the lighter people pay for traveling.

March 26, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
  31. Audrey

I think it's not the best idea. It would be using discrimination towards other people who are over or under weight. That type of information is defiantly confidential. I see the purpose in weighing luggage but not the persons weight.

March 26, 2013 at 9:16 pm |
  32. Carter

I have a passion for planes and I want to be a pilot when I grow up. This is not a good idea at all. If you want flyers to keep flying your airline, you want to have a good service, not charging unnecessary fees for people to pay. Flyers won't come back to your airline.

March 26, 2013 at 9:16 pm |
  33. Mark

The idea of weighing luggage is perfectly fine and could be effective, but weighing the traveler, and especially in public, may cause the person to feel uncomfortable. I think conserving fuel is important yet airlines would prefer that their passengers were comfortable.

March 26, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
  34. joe

i think it is way for airports to earn money but it may slow them down a lot

March 26, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
  35. John

I think it is a bad idea. We already pay for the distance traveled. Why pay for the baggage weight? The airports are going to loose a lot of money from doing this.

March 26, 2013 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Regan

I think it would be OK for the airlines to cahrge more money for heavier luggage, but not if the pereson weighs more. That really isn't fair to people who are taller or larger. People may overlook the fact that it helps the environment and just see it as descrimination.

March 26, 2013 at 10:25 pm |

Although I see why companies might want to use this idea to save jet fuel and reduce pollution, it would not be fair to those that have conditions that cause people to be overweight, while some people have conditions that cause them to be thin. It would not be fair to make those with a condition that they cannot control to pay more and add to their insecurity.

March 26, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
  38. Grant

I think it's a bad thing cause if you are in a hurry and you need to get to your plane fast it would just take longer. Therfore you would miss your plane

March 26, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Noah

Its a great idea because the more passangers and luggage way slows the plane down and adds more fuel, that cost money. The airliners would lose more money though

March 26, 2013 at 10:49 pm |
  40. Ryan

I don't think this is a very good idea because some people who weigh a bit more are practically getting punished. This would cause some of those people to think twice about traveling because of there weight and how much it costs. Traveling is already a bit expensive for some and this would be an unnecessary way to raise prices for traveling.

March 26, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
  41. Noah

This could be seemed as a discrimination to people who weigh more then others. It's just plain unethical. They may have good reason to start this and save fuel for more flights, but too much havoc will be caused in the process. Then with the increased prices, people will find other ways to travel for lower prices and several airplane companies will lose several hundred and thousands of customers due to the change. Weight should not be a issue and if they want to find ways to save fuel and sorts, this is not the direction to go in.

March 26, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
  42. Felicia

I don't think it's a good idea because we're already spending so much money on air tickets. Many people would not want to fly as often as they would use to because it would cost more money. Also it's kind of offending to others if they are insecure about their weight.

March 26, 2013 at 11:12 pm |
  43. Suhas

The luggage is exceptable but the weight of the person makes it way too wrong! It is biased to have fat people pay more and skinny people pay less

March 27, 2013 at 2:12 am |
  44. Rosanna

I think he is a moron to even suggest that the Airlines should discriminate against people of size. Why is it wrong to discriminate against everything these days but its o.k. to invade a heavy person's privacy by weighing us and making us pay more. They already charge bigger people for two seats instead of one. I guess heavy people have no rights and deserve to be treated like 3rd class citizens. This is just degrading and stupid. It should never be o.k. to discriminate against anyone. Seriously!!!

March 27, 2013 at 4:18 am |
  45. Dasol

Luggage okay, People no
    Weighing people-wastes time and isn't fair

March 27, 2013 at 4:35 am |
  46. Elaine

You've got to be kidding! Most of us work hard just to be able to pay for plane tickets now. Paying more for them if you're even just a little over weight doesn't sound very fair to me. Most people might just start driving to visit family, friends, or even for a vacation so long as it's not oversea. We are a free country but that doesn't give us the excuse to do what we want willy nilly.

March 27, 2013 at 6:27 am |
  47. Dixon

i think its a bad idea because peole who are obesenand know it probaly wouldn't want it displayed to the public

March 27, 2013 at 6:31 am |
  48. Elaine

You've got to be kidding! Paying a little more for your luggage doesn't seem so bad.... but paying more because you weigh more isn't my type of cake. It sounds ridiculous if you ask me. Also, that was some guy in Uragway who thought of that, right? Do we, the United States of America, have to listen to him? I mean he's in another country. Any who, I think it's a silly idea that if you weigh more you have to pay more.

March 27, 2013 at 6:45 am |
  49. Junghyun

It's a good idea, more people would acknowledge the problem and some others might try to lose weight and might even slacken the problem of obesity.

March 27, 2013 at 6:52 am |
  50. Surya

I feel that this a wonderful idea checking the weights of the passengers too. Not only would it encourage passengers to eat less and exercise, but it would be great for the environment. I feel that every airport should be responsible to install their own weighing system so that airlines would not need to pay.

March 27, 2013 at 6:59 am |
  51. Justice

I think that the professor's idea is a good one, however, some people are sensitive about their weight and would not like standing around being weighed next to a bunch of strangers.

March 27, 2013 at 7:44 am |
  52. Erin

I don't think anything is wrong with weighing someones luggage. But some people might not want to be weighed. It could be a invasion of personal space.

March 27, 2013 at 7:58 am |
  53. Greg

I hope this doesn't offend anybody overweight but I think they should charge more because if the plane is overweight it could fall out of the sky and if I'm on that plane I don't want to die.

March 27, 2013 at 7:58 am |
  54. Sierra

I fell that weighing people in public invades personal life . If i went to an airport and they just asked o weigh my lugage that would be okay.

March 27, 2013 at 7:59 am |
  55. Shaun

I think this is not a good idea because who would ant tom pay more for a flight just because they weigh more..

March 27, 2013 at 8:03 am |
  56. Bailey

I think it is a bad idea because you shouldn't be charged more for being a heavier person. And maybe you have to pack a lot of clothes and other stuff in your luggage and maybe its not your fault. It's just not fair.

March 27, 2013 at 8:05 am |
  57. Brody

I don't think it is right because some prople are heaver and some people are lighter.

March 27, 2013 at 8:15 am |
  58. clay

I think you should have to pay more because the more you weigh, the more the gas the airline company has to use.

March 27, 2013 at 8:17 am |
  59. Chiara

I don't think that having to pay for your weight is not right. Your weight is YOUR weight. It is none of anybody else's business. If you have to pay for your weight, then a lot of people would drive,or take a plane that doesn't weigh you. If you are naturally a little bigger then it would be a little embarrassing. Some of my friends are a little bigger and they can't do anything about it. IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.

March 27, 2013 at 8:28 am |
  60. Natalio

I think it's not worth it because it will be a wast of time fo security and passengers.

March 27, 2013 at 8:37 am |
  61. Zak

Not really a good idea, all it really is is ANOTHER attempt to get the obesity down in america, and that makes people angry.

March 27, 2013 at 8:42 am |
  62. Sarah

I think it's a great idea! It would encourage people to pack less and maybe even change their eating and exercising habits! We are the adults of tomorrow and we need to keep Earth clean and free from pollution and litter. Many adults don't care and they litter and pollute all the time and oppose this idea, but all they need to think about are their children and grandchildren and I bet that would change the way they think.

March 27, 2013 at 8:43 am |
  63. Andrew

I say no because people do not have the money and why shold they pay on there weight.

March 27, 2013 at 8:44 am |
  64. Grace

If paying for my weight would help conserve fuel, I would definitely pay. However, if people really need to fly then they will. Paying extra isn't going to help the planet. Maybe paying for luggage would help reduce pollution because people would pack less, but I don't think charging people for how much they weigh is going to help at all.

March 27, 2013 at 8:46 am |
  65. Faustina

March 27, 2013 at 8:47 am |
  66. Chase

A good idea yes, it would help the enviroment, but is it really fair to charge extra money to the people that weight more? Maybe it isn't their fault they are over weight. I believe everyone should be charged exactly the same (as long as their luggage doesn't excide the weight).

March 27, 2013 at 8:54 am |
  67. Alec

I think its a good idea for two reasons, it would cut prices for people that maintain a healthy weight, and it would encourage overweight citizens to get in shape.

March 27, 2013 at 8:58 am |
  68. Rashayla

I don't believe they should charge extra because it seems like they are picking on people and making them feel bad about themselves.

March 27, 2013 at 9:02 am |
  69. Simya

I think they should charge extra because it would help the environment.

March 27, 2013 at 9:06 am |
    • Anonymous

yeah, but seriously think about it. nobody likes going through security anyway, and actually most people can't help their weight. you might be totally fit and eat right but you have a heavier set body type, so you're being punished for that?

March 27, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
      • Hannah

March 27, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
  70. Kareem

I think flying is already a hassle with airport security. This would only add to many people's frustration.

March 27, 2013 at 9:10 am |
  71. Duncan

I feel that they are doing this to lower gas consumption and save money but it will not work

March 27, 2013 at 9:12 am |
  72. Xavier

I think that it's a bad idea because it already takes a long time to get to the plane ad it'll just add more time for waiting.

March 27, 2013 at 9:12 am |
  73. Katelyn

I do really like the idea because I want to have a good and healthy environment but there are some things that I don't like about it. It will take longer to go through the security system and it already takes a while and I am a big sister of 2 so my family would need to bring a lot of things so we might not be able to take as many vacations that are really far away.

March 27, 2013 at 9:13 am |
  74. Maria

The idea sounds good, but I don't think it would work because it would take forever to long to weigh everyone, and people might get offended by being weighed.

March 27, 2013 at 9:14 am |
  75. Lindsey

I don't think this idea will happen because people don't want to be critiqued by their weight by paying more. It would just cause more problems in the airports with longer lines and the cost of scales.

March 27, 2013 at 9:15 am |
  76. Livia

I think this idea is just annoying obstacle that people will have to go through to get on a plane.

March 27, 2013 at 9:18 am |
  77. Jonathan

I think if airports start weighing people then they are opening up themselves to lawsuits over discrimination. i don't think they should.

March 27, 2013 at 9:21 am |
  78. Melody

I believe that people would not like the proposal because you wouldn't have a set ticket price and it would cause more money putting in scales to weigh people that the savings they get from the fuel.

March 27, 2013 at 9:22 am |
  79. Caleb

I think its a great idea, 1. The higher prices might incourage people to lose weight, 2. It might incourage them to save money and take the car instead.

March 27, 2013 at 9:22 am |
  80. Trevor

If an airplane can lift a rocketship I don't think I should have to pay for extra heavy luggage.

March 27, 2013 at 9:24 am |

I think its a good thought into the idea but with doing this i think the airlines will loose money because not so many people will fly. With them not flying gives more reason for people to drive and with even more drivers on the road the greater percentages of car crashes and deaths will go up. So, the best idea to avoid all these problems would be not to charge more just because the person is bigger.

March 27, 2013 at 9:25 am |
  82. casey

it kinda mean and they should not do that

March 27, 2013 at 9:26 am |
  83. Dana

The thought of the heavier the plane causes more gas use and more pollution is agreeable. I do not believe that over weight people should pay more, when buying tickets,they can state their weight and then the people in line to fly can be grouped and sorted by weight to equal out the plane.

March 27, 2013 at 9:30 am |
  84. A'lexus

I think its a good idea for your luggage but not for your weight. No one should pay more if they weigh more. A lot of people are very insecure about their weight. Besides you already have to pay more for how far you travel.

March 27, 2013 at 9:33 am |
  85. Priscilla

Yeah, luggage weight makes sense. I wouldn't mind that.
    I do have to feel bad for the pregnant women though. After all, they're already going to be paying for medical bills, and, for some, special diets to keep their babies healthy, so why make them pay more for plane tickets on top of all that?
    Also, for people like me, it's going to be humiliating to get up on a scale with who knows how many people in line behind me, and have my weight be their for all to see. If you're entitled to keep your weight a secret in most other situations, it doesn't make sense that anyone going to an airport can know.
    Sorry about my ranting there. God bless you, Carl, or whoever else may read this! I'll be praying for you!

March 27, 2013 at 9:41 am |
  86. Shauna.

I don't think it's a good idea. What if some people have health problems and just can't lose weight. i don't think it would be right for them to have to pay more for weighing more.

March 27, 2013 at 9:42 am |
  87. Alyssa

I believe it is a bad idea because people already obsess over their weight so why would you was to make them feel bad by making them pay more if they weigh more??

March 27, 2013 at 9:51 am |
  88. Sophia

Using the weight of someones luggage is fine with me, it will pressure people to pack lighter, but using someones weight to determine how much to charge them for a plane ticket just doesn't seem right. There is no reason for people to use Weight Watcher and all that stuff just to see if they can lower their plane ticket price.

March 27, 2013 at 9:58 am |
  89. Ashlyn

I think it's a fine idea. It's a good way for the airlines to go green, and so I'm for it. However, lots of woman are consious of their weight, and don't like to be weighed in front of other people because of this. This may be a problem for this new system. And for the people who bring lots of luggage, they won't be happy, either.

March 27, 2013 at 9:58 am |
  90. Danielle

i agree with this because when people fly they have to have everything with them and some people don't take everything and they still have to pay the same amount has the other people do even though they have less then them. it might fly because a lot of people are willing to do whats right for our safety

March 27, 2013 at 10:01 am |
  91. Ladarious

i agree that people need to pay more about there weight cause we need to stop wasting fuel . cause people can earn more money

March 27, 2013 at 10:02 am |
    • SHAE

i agree on that cause if you have an heavy bag then you need to pay more and if your bag is not heavy then you pay what you need to pay.

March 27, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
  92. Summer

I think it is a good idea. If you bring a lot of luggage you are using more gas than somebody who doesn't bring but maybe one bag. It shouldn't take too long to step on a scale, so a little more time for less money would be worth the wait in what is an already economically hurting society.

March 27, 2013 at 10:02 am |
  93. Ruby

I think it is a great idea since it encourages people take less luggage and it will raise awareness of conserving fuel as well. Even though it may cost money to put in scales and all that, but it's still worth it in the long run.

March 27, 2013 at 10:03 am |
  94. Rico

Acutually yes because you don't need that much luggage. From my point of view (although I've never rode a plane) this is a good Idea.

March 27, 2013 at 10:04 am |
  95. Christian

My opinion on this is that why would you weigh someone at an airport just to find out if they need to have a higher ticket cost or a lower one, does it matter. I think it's stupid and ignorant what this world has come to, higher airplane costs for higher weighed people and lower prices for lower weighted. Really?

March 27, 2013 at 10:05 am |
  96. Landon

I think thats wrong. Who cares how much people way? if your gonna judge someone you need to be perfect first.

March 27, 2013 at 10:07 am |
  97. Corbin

I think that they should not weight because people will fill bad.

March 27, 2013 at 10:08 am |
  98. Hunter

I think think that it is a good idea to weigh people. Because it will cost more

March 27, 2013 at 10:08 am |
  99. Pulin

I don't think that there is problem with it but some of the people can get upset because of they weight more, but it is helping our economy and it might help our Environment too.

March 27, 2013 at 10:09 am |
  100. shawn

I thhink that it is a good idea but a bad idea at the same

March 27, 2013 at 10:09 am |

i think its wrong

March 27, 2013 at 10:09 am |
  102. Liese

I can see the point of charging more for heavier luggage, but charging for a person's weight doesn't seem fair. Some families are actually genetically heavier than others, so you shouldn't pay more because of something that's hard to control.

March 27, 2013 at 10:10 am |
  103. Destiny

I think they should not because it will cause more pollution.

March 27, 2013 at 10:10 am |
  104. Kennedy

Honestly, I don't think it should be this way. Yes, it would help the environment, but it wouldn't be fair to those who are heavier set than to the rest of us who aren't. I could possibly understand the suitcase weight, and having to pay more for the weight of your suitcase, but the person in general.. No.

March 27, 2013 at 10:10 am |
  105. paidyn

I think that theey should not do that it makes it harder for people to get were they need.

March 27, 2013 at 10:10 am |
  106. paidyn

I think that they should not do that it makes it harder for people to get were they need.

March 27, 2013 at 10:11 am |
  107. katelyn

I guess I could see how using the weight of your luggage could be a good idea, but I think using the weight of a person isn't right. Most people can't help it if they weigh 80 pounds or if the weigh 150 pounds. I think they should just use the luggage weight.

March 27, 2013 at 10:11 am |
  108. Nataiya

Iagree but it would still be an inconvenience because you will piack lighly going. You will pay more for all the food you ate and the soveniers and clothes you are bringing back.

March 27, 2013 at 10:12 am |
  109. zoey

I think that they should not do that because maybe some people dont want other people to know their weight.

March 27, 2013 at 10:12 am |
  110. Ryland

I understand the point but I don't think it's fair. A lot of people weigh more and are lazy so they don't exercise.

March 27, 2013 at 10:13 am |

i think this idea is ok but i think that this is a little affience to bigger people.

March 27, 2013 at 10:13 am |
  112. Demarryae.

I personally think this is a resonable idea. This would save a lot of money , but there are many people that can't help their weight. They should charge more for the higher amount of luggage a person has . If people that weigh a lot knew that there would be a higher charge it would probably lose customers .

March 27, 2013 at 10:14 am |
  113. Jeremias

I don't think luggage and people. Should get weighed. Because people pay a lot of money to get on plane.

March 27, 2013 at 10:14 am |
  114. Phillip

I think it is a bad idea beacuse you can't help your weight.

March 27, 2013 at 10:14 am |
  115. braston

i do not think that it it dose not mater because some people might not think it maters about there weight

March 27, 2013 at 10:15 am |
  116. Sarah

I dont think that thats such a good idea because when tickets are more just because you eat more making the costumers rather drive.

March 27, 2013 at 10:15 am |
  117. whitney

No because we should be able to take what ever we want with us. And they shouldn't weigh us because it will make us feel bad and kind of seems like discrimination to me.

March 27, 2013 at 10:16 am |
  118. Beata

I think this is a good idea because this will not only help the environment but also make people who need/love to travel go on diets.

March 27, 2013 at 10:16 am |

I think that the airline people should not be doing the weigh more pay more. Because you don't have alot of space to have your things on board. And how much you weigh is nuts. Because people do not want other people besides doctors to see what they weigh. And the Airline people will start losing money for this idea.

March 27, 2013 at 10:20 am |
  120. Tiernan

Americans need every incentive possible to lose weight. (Just an added bonus.)

March 27, 2013 at 10:20 am |
  121. Jackson

I don't think that people should be charged more because how much they weigh. It seems very judgmental.

March 27, 2013 at 10:22 am |
  122. lupita

I would charge more money to people who weigh more.

March 27, 2013 at 10:26 am |
  123. Briana

People should not have to pay more for a plane ticket if they weigh more or their bags weigh more. That would make it more fair for everyone.

March 27, 2013 at 10:28 am |
  124. Cornelius

I think it's not a good Idea because people already payed for their ticket and luggage. People should not get weighed.

March 27, 2013 at 10:28 am |
  125. Joshua

I think that it would be unfair to charge people more money because they weigh more. The airlines is not adding more fuel to the plane because of the weight.

March 27, 2013 at 10:31 am |
  126. Jose

I dont agree with the weight of a person but do agree with the luggage part because your weight is private and depends on most people

March 27, 2013 at 10:34 am |
  127. Nicholas

I think it's a horriable idea it wouldn't be fair to adults compared to kids but like some people that arn't naturally thin they would have to pay more. Plus its just not right to weigh people that dont want other people to know a little about their personal life it wold only be fair to only weigh what they have in their bags.

March 27, 2013 at 10:38 am |
  128. D'Eris

I dont think its fair because my mom shouldnt have to pay more than me because she has two bags and I have one. It just doesnt makes sense to me,how will people pay to get on the plane if they have to pay a lot of money over there luggage.

March 27, 2013 at 10:38 am |
  129. Faith

I think no becuase some people cant help but to pack more if your going out of state you might need two suit
    cases and imagine going with family thats even more bags you need especially going on long vactions

March 27, 2013 at 10:40 am |
  130. Stacy

I think people with more luggage than people who have little luggage should pay more because the lesser the airplane weighs the less gas it uses and they don't have to pay for all that gas. People should want to pay more if they have more luggage. It's only a few dollars and it's just like paying for gas money. It will balance luggage fees.

March 27, 2013 at 10:40 am |
  131. Terrion

I think it's a great idea. People with oversized luggage is just making it worst for other people who already have to wait in line. The Airlines could save LOTS of money for jet fuel. I had to wait an extra 20 minutes to wait o someone who has extra luggage.

March 27, 2013 at 10:40 am |
    • Faith

But We could also use the extra money

March 27, 2013 at 10:43 am |
      • Jade

But the thing cant we afford to pay the extra money not everyone can afford to pay that kind of money so there will be extra money. If that make sense.

March 28, 2013 at 6:05 am |
  132. Somtoo

I think that people that weigh more should not pay more than people that are very light in weight. To me, this just means that they are calling people fat. I take a very large offence to that remark because I am a little fat. This would decrease the amount of money that the airplane company will receive. Less people will want to fly on the planes.

March 27, 2013 at 10:40 am |
  133. McKenna

I think that this idea is awful! I think a person's weight is more of a personal thing! Why would you go and say oh your weight is worth this much. Im okay with bags being weighed but people? That is totally uncalled for. Think about the damage that could be done to their self esteem? What if after they see how much they weigh and how much they have to pay they just continue to think that they are too fat or too skinny and either end up starving them selfs to lose weight or eating all the time! There could be an increase of eating disorders! Would you want to go and be weighed and have to pay money for how much you weigh?????? That is rude and that is discrimination! We are all equal!!! Hello anyone listen to the Gettysburg adress????? All men are created equal!!!! That means that our weight doesn't matter!!!!That means that we should be allowed to all pay the same price for a plane ticket! Not be discriminated against because of it! I for one do NOT want to people to feel like that, and hopefully neither do you! Thats why we should not be weighed to see how much our plane ticket will cost!

March 27, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  134. Storrm

I think this is a good idea because people who bring a lot of luggae rasise my ticket price and use more fuel.

March 27, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  135. Terrion

I think we should have the weight test because it could help save our enviroment from air polution. We could save on jet fuel and cost the ecomomy less. It would help bring more money in for the national airlines. If people dont have limits to weight they could break the system and overuse it. Thats why we need weight limits. Cars also cause most of the weight. We could make a car policy as well.

March 27, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  136. jeremiah

i dont think this is a good idea because people who bring a lot luggeg shoudnt have to pay more than people who bring less luggeg. its not fair because thinner people get to pay less,its just not fair.

March 27, 2013 at 10:42 am |
  137. Chloe

I do not think it is fair that people with larger luggages should pay more. They are getting on the same plane they should pay the same amount. You don`t know how long they will be gone on their vacation.

March 27, 2013 at 10:42 am |
  138. Connor

I don't know what to think about this idea. On one hand, it's smart because it's a way to help the environment. But on the other, it might be offensive to those who weigh more than others. And not to mention they might not have the money to pay for themselves if this happens. Also, it might encourage people to pack light, or to lose weight. Which might help, but it might not. So, we have: It'd help the environment, and it might be offensive to others.

March 27, 2013 at 10:43 am |
  139. Amber

I think people should not have to pay for extra their weight. i think this because sometimes people may feel very upset about their weight and if you weigh them in front of everybody in the airport they could get very upset. a lot of people are insecure about weight so if you weigh them it could lead to death or drugs. for example my friend's cousin was very unhappy about her weight because she had an eating problem so she turned to drugs then tried committing suicide. she turned to drugs and stuff because people were giving her gym memberships and telling her politely maybe she should go on a diet. also why don't people just raise the price of airline flights so people may not feel upset on the flight. a lot of people are really trying to loose weight its just hard on them.

March 27, 2013 at 10:43 am |
  140. Augusta

I think that I Is a bad Idea, because If a fat person weighs more that a skinny person that fat person has to pay more. If they already paid for a plane ticket why do they have to pay more, but If it's a skinny they only get to pay less. plus

I think It's a bad idea, because it a fat person and their luggage might be more expensive and if they already paid for their plane ticket they have to pay more. other wise if it's a skinny person there don't cast as much with their luggage while a fat person does.

March 27, 2013 at 10:43 am |
  141. Dalton

I'm not sure because the weighing would help our environment but on the other hand i think it is a bit rude to be weighing people in public because a lot of people are sensitive about there weight if it would be up to me I wouldn't do it.

March 27, 2013 at 10:44 am |
  142. Josie

I don't think it's a good idea, some people don't like how much they weigh it would make them feel worse having to pay more to weigh more.

March 27, 2013 at 10:44 am |
  143. Avery

I think this is a good idea, I could see why others wouldn't like it but it will inspire heavy weight people to loose weight before they fly. One idea solves two problems! Obesity and pollution,

March 27, 2013 at 10:46 am |
    • Alicia

Taking a car sounds a lot better, at least your car isn't going to judge you.

March 27, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
  144. Katherine

I dont think that it is a good idea. The airlines will lose money if they do this. Plus it will cost a lot of money to get the scales and it will take more time to go through the process.

March 27, 2013 at 10:46 am |
    • Genna

I agree with you. Plus, some people are insecure about their weight, and don't want to show it to the world.

March 27, 2013 at 11:40 am |
    • Destiny

This is true. Airline secuirity takes long enough without the scales.

March 27, 2013 at 11:53 am |
  145. Genna

I don't think it's a good idea. If someone is heavier than another person, or carries a heavier luggage,
    they shouldn't have to pay more. It will also cost the airport money, and lets face it, we already don't like going through the airport security.

March 27, 2013 at 10:48 am |
  146. Catie

People don't need to know my weight, and it rude to make overweight people pay more.

March 27, 2013 at 10:56 am |
  147. Dylan

I think it's a good start, but some people are rather insensitive about their weight and might feel violated or that their privacy is being overlooked.

March 27, 2013 at 11:06 am |
  148. Dylan

I think it's a good start, but some people are rather sensitive about their weight and might feel violated or that their privacy is being overlooked.

March 27, 2013 at 11:07 am |
  149. Lacy

I think its a little far-fetched idea. Why not build the plane with lighter materials?

March 27, 2013 at 11:12 am |
  150. Alissa

I think that it would be an inconvenience to flyers. It will prolong their security check time making it easier to miss your flight. Plus it might discourage people to fly.

March 27, 2013 at 11:20 am |
  151. Damien

I think it's not a great idea because some people can't control their weight so why should they pay more?

March 27, 2013 at 11:24 am |

I think it is a terrible idea. Some people can't help their weight. So why should they get charged more? Though I do think packing light is a good idea. -nicholas

March 27, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  153. SheNic

I no like this cause I fat. I cant help that I obese I born that way.

March 27, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  154. Kate

I think that is ridiculous! It's not their fault if they are a heavier person, and that should't affect how much they pay. But, its good that you are trying to prevent pollution...even though the idea to get there is obnoxious.

March 27, 2013 at 11:25 am |
  155. Emily

I don't think it's a good idea. Just because someone weighs more doesn't mean they have to pay more. Plues people dont need to know my weight.

March 27, 2013 at 11:26 am |
  156. Erik

I think it is ridiculous people should not have pay for their weight. They can't help it is is way unfair.

March 27, 2013 at 11:27 am |
  157. Sam

I do not agree with this because people who weigh more shouldn't have to pay more than people who weigh less. This would be unfair and may cause people to become underweight just to have to pay less. Also people don't need to know your weight.

March 27, 2013 at 11:28 am |
  158. Olivia

I like the idea that it will help save fuel and lower the carbon-dixoide in the air. Although, it might make people not want to fly, it might make them feel self-concious about their natural body shape. They also might feel embarrassed about being weighed in public place vs in a private, doctor setting.

March 27, 2013 at 11:28 am |
  159. Aidan

I think this is a terrible idea because it's basically making fun of people by charging them more for their weight.

March 27, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  160. Meghan

I think its a TERRIBLE idea its offensive in so many ways, some people cant help if there over wait and people don't need to no if you are in fact over weight if a planes were fine before then they should worry about difrent things

March 27, 2013 at 11:30 am |
  161. Katie

I think it is a bad idea, people should not have to worry about their weight when going on a plane ride. It would make people feel uncomfortable if they are paying more for their weight. It is rude to enter someones business about their weight.

March 27, 2013 at 11:30 am |
  162. Dylan

I think it i a good idea and a bad idea. It's a good idea because it would encourage better health and to become less obese. I think it is a bad idea because the more obese might be embarrassed or feel bad about their weight.

March 27, 2013 at 11:30 am |
  163. Morgan

I think its a bad idea because if someone that might be over weight might not want to be weighted in a public.

March 27, 2013 at 11:31 am |
  164. Louis

I think it is a bad idea because it is not there choice to weigh more and it would be a waste of money to put in scales, but on the other hand it would encourage people to get in shape.

March 27, 2013 at 11:31 am |
  165. Rohan

I think it is a bad idea, because if someone is a muscle builder they weigh a lot more because muscle weighs more then fat. Therefor only skinny people would pay less and fly more when most people will be mad with this and less people will fly making the airports have less customers. It is bad for people and airports. A lose lose situation is upon clearly they should not do this.

March 27, 2013 at 11:32 am |
  166. Kyle

I think people should not have to pay more for their weight, but they should still be concerned about their weight.

March 27, 2013 at 11:33 am |
  167. Erin

I think it's a TERRIBLE idea that you would need to pay more for your weight, because some people can be overly sensitive, it can be offensive and I for one think it's no one elses business except for your docter and parents!

March 27, 2013 at 11:34 am |
  168. logan

i think that this is unfair. People that way more should not have to pay more for their weight.

March 27, 2013 at 11:34 am |
  169. andy

they shouldn't have to pay more. It will also cost the airport money, and lets face it, we already don't like going through the airport security

March 27, 2013 at 11:36 am |
  170. Tory

This idea is good in some ways, but not in others. Most people feel that using less fuel and lowering the carbon dioxide in the air is a good idea, which I think it is. But then again, having someone weigh you in public could be humiliating. That is personal information.

March 27, 2013 at 11:39 am |
  171. Macey

I think this idea is unfair. If my sister weighs less than me, she would get a lower price. I would stop flying on planes if that was the deal. My weight is my business, not some stranger's.

March 27, 2013 at 11:44 am |
  172. Becca

Even though i like how it could save fuel, i dont think it is the right thing to do. It is unfair for the heavier people to have to pay more. Why should skinnier people be rewarded for weighing less.

March 27, 2013 at 11:45 am |
  173. Duward

I do not agree with this at all, because this seems to be like something that will make people feel worse about themselves. There could also be people with medical issues also. As for the luggage, yes that's a great idea and makes sense.

March 27, 2013 at 11:46 am |
  174. Chase

I dont think it would be fair for people to pay more than others

March 27, 2013 at 11:47 am |
  175. Tate

It would decrease obesity.

March 27, 2013 at 11:48 am |
  176. Elyse

The amount it would cost the airlines to put in scales and more security guards wouldn't be worth the amount that they could potentially save. Saving money and cutting fuel costs are always a good thing, but this is a rude and ineffective way to do it.

March 27, 2013 at 11:51 am |
  177. Destiny

I don't think that they should make people pay a certain price according to their weight. This is because if you are going to be gone for a week you need to pack more things, which means more money. Plus, over 75% of the American population is overweight. Which means over 75% of the airline tickets prices will go up.

March 27, 2013 at 11:52 am |
  178. Briann

No i dont think it is a good idia because most people aroud the world dont have any money and it is not fair to make the overweight people pay more they should just let us go through the metal detectors thats all [airlines are not fair].

March 27, 2013 at 11:56 am |
  179. Ibrahim

I think that we don't need to weigh people because it will waist time. Some people might want to catch their flights sooner.

March 27, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
  180. Dylan

I think that it is a good idea for the airports to start wieghing the lugage. It would help the Ozone a little bit better.

March 27, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
  181. Chastity

i think thats a crazy idea because its pointless and its time consuming.

March 27, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
  182. Lavanya

I think that it is very unfair for people who weigh more to be charged more for travel because size is often determined by genes, and not within our control. It also would be less efficient because it would take a long time to get through security check.

March 27, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
  183. Mykine

They dont if an over wieght person has a famliy member in need of their help and they dont have enough money to pay to get to them

March 27, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
  184. Grant

Well, it's 50/50. You might get a better price, yet you might get a bigger line.

March 27, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
  185. alex

I would charge more money for people who weigh more

March 27, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
  186. dakota

this is crazy i mean some people cant help there weight come on america

March 27, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
  187. Abita

I think that is okay to put a little higher price on the luggage weight . But on people who weight more that is just plane RUDE we don't need anyone feeling bad about themselves anymore that people do now!!!

March 27, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
  188. Brian

Plane tickets are seriously expensive as it is. The plane companies should think about how much business they would lose. Not a very good way ro make money.

March 27, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
  189. Tami

So as a larger woman, 6'2" and plus-sized, if I pay more would I be entitled to some leg room? And if I bring my 7-year-old, do I pay significantly less for her seat because she weighs much less than the average adult? Flying is absurd already; they cram us in like sardines and expect us to pay ridiculous rates for the privilege. Unless I'm crossing an ocean, I will choose to travel by land.

March 27, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
  190. Emily

I understand paying more for baggage, but making people pay more because of their weight is rude. I get that it may helpp the environment a little, but they should respect people's privacy.

March 27, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
  191. shakira

i don't like this because its not fair you have to pay more than anyone else because you is over weighted i would see if it had a certain weight limit on the plane.

March 27, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
  192. Laura

It makes sense why they would do that; but I highly doubt the average weight of the combined people on an airplane could be so great as to change the amount of fuel necessary for a flight. I'm overweight and so is the rest of my family, but I've never been on a plane that said "Hey, we need to land early since our passengers are a bit too chubby." Nor have I ever heard of an incidence where that happened. Besides this being an unnecessary charge, in my opinion, it's also embarrassing! I know I'm overweight, but I don't want the entire security check-in line knowing by how much!

March 27, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
  193. Otto

If weight is neccesary, why fly when you can drive?

March 27, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
  194. Kleyvin

The people who weigh more shouldn't have to pay more, it is unfair to the heavier people. Just because it stops more pultion doesnt make it a good idea. It will make going the security unplesant and a longer process. I think it's a bad idea but i do think its a good idea to charge more for heavier bags.

March 27, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
  195. Carter

I think its just wrong that your costing the price for the weight because what if someone's luggage is supper heavy and he/she gets charged more money.

March 27, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
  196. Angela

I do not think this is a good idea because there are some very tall people who tend to weigh more but their more slim and more then of people in america are overweight so i dont think this is really fair

March 27, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
  197. Tristan

I don't like that rule because it is discriminate of tall people and obese(overweight) people.

March 27, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
  198. Cassie

I think its kinda in fair, because if was over weight and they told me that I'm to much weight it may not work I would kinda feel hurt in a way you no. But it's good that there trying to save foil.

March 27, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
  199. Carson

I think that it is a good idea to save gas, but seriously strangers don't need to know my weight.

March 27, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
  200. Dylan

Saving the environment is great but I don't think it should concern weight.

March 27, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
  201. Kaitlyn

I don't think it's fair because I'm going to the Czech Republic this year and taking a plane trip there for two weeks for a mission trip and were going to need two weeks worth of clothes and activities. That's why it's not fair to me.

March 27, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
  202. jake

no people do not need to know my weight

March 27, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
  203. Sydney

No i don't think it is fair. It is pretty much just reminding them that they are overweight and they might not like it.

March 27, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
  204. Caitlyn

I don't think they should do this because, people can be very sensitive with how much they weigh. If we are paying more if if we weigh more than others, that's just ridiculous.

March 27, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
  205. Rhonda

This is Discrimation! No, it is NOT FAIR. Obesity is a desease and a valid medical diagnosis supported by science's finding that heavier people have isolated genes not found in fit people. Sometime oesity is very dibilitating, so I think it would violate 504 guildlines and regulations to target people of weight and make them pay more. It would be degrading and a violation of their rights. Futhermore, why just target fat people...How about charging disabled people more because their special needs equipment weights more and therefore makes the plane use more fuel. How about we charge ugly people more because they are offensive to good looking people who have to see them or sit by them on the plane, or how about charging people with bad breath more because those around them sometimes have to endure their horrendous breath due to their bad oral hygene! Really people, where does it end????

March 27, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
  206. Ivan

I think it's relly dumb and I know people who is fat

March 27, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
  207. Trinity

I dont think you should weigh people because when you weigh them in plublic everybody else can see their weight his or her weight their privacy that's wrong.

March 27, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
  208. Trevon

I think that's not a good idea. Some people can't help how much they wiegh. That's disrespectful for the overweight people.

March 27, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  209. Ana

The idea is good and bad, at the same time. Good because you save fuel and help out the environment, but bad because if someone who's not exactly the right weight will have to pay more just cause they are heavier than others.

March 27, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  210. Christina

It's not a good idea. Knowing that we would have to pay more because of our weight could cause airlines to lose hundreds of dollars. No one wants to pay more based on their body weight.

March 27, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  211. Adrian

I think that the weight thing is stupid. That could really make people feel overweight and really uncomfortable. I personally don't think it will fly

March 27, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
  212. Matt

It's a great idea, if you're going to weigh down the plane with unnecessary luggage then you should have to pay to bring it.

March 27, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
  213. Jada

I don't think they should do it .. It takes up to much time & it might hurt certain peoples feelings.

March 27, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
  214. Adriana

I don't think this is a good idea, because no one needs to know other people weight it is personal.

March 27, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
  215. Brittany

I don't really like the idea of people paying more because of their weight. It isn't fair because some people can't help being overweight.

March 27, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
  216. Caitlyn

Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated with respect. Making them pay more than other people isn't fair and its just going to cause a lot more trouble with getting through security by wasting time that people don't have.

March 27, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
  217. Quaran

Yes they should if it saves gas and oil but then again they shouldn't because they already paid the amount of money to ride shouldn't increase it so my answer is no

March 27, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
  218. Travis

That's crazy maybe they should just keep it the same cause some overweight people might not have the money to pay the extra charges!!

March 27, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
  219. max

think that is a good idea to help the inviroment

March 27, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
  220. Nathaniel

I think private compaies like American Airlines should have the right to impose rules like this that they think would benifit them and the enviromen. I t would also encourage people that want to fly to lose weight or go with less luggage.

March 27, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
  221. Leslie

I dont think that if your weight matters, but i do think that your luggage dont need to weigh over what it should be. Thats what I think that your weight shouldn't matter just your luggage.

March 27, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
  222. Tom

I disagree with this. I think that overweight people should be in a certain class and underweight people in a certain class. maybe underweught people in the front and overweight people in the back with moderate people in the middle. I think that making someone pay a lot for your ticket because your big, it could make them mad, sad, or feel bad in someway.

March 27, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
  223. Ally

That is really unessasary. You shouldn't be "judged" by your wieght or the wieght of your luggage. I can see where their heads are at since the fuel costs a lot of money but it is still very unessasary.

March 27, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
  224. john

I think people shouldn't have to pay extra for weight. If someone has a health problem and has to eat lots of food and is very overweight that it is unfair for those people.

March 27, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
  225. medez

no i dont think that they should be charged more if the r over weight

March 27, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
  226. Pixy

NO, i don't think that people should charge more money for people that weigh more because that is just very dumb idea because people that weigh more can take it as a bad complement because they are calling them fat

March 27, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
  227. Lexi

I dont think that they should weigh people because it is all ready expensive to fly any where. Even have to go an hour a head all ready and if they weugh you then your going to have to go an hour and a half early.

March 27, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
  228. Sour Lemon Drop

I think that it is a bad idea because it would cost more money and it would hurt feelings. The idea would just cause a huge fight. It's not worth it. I think that everything should just be left alone. People shouldn't have to pay more if they weigh more.

March 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
  229. Mari

I think this a VERY bad idea because i do not want the person who is weighing me to know my weight the only person i let her/him weigh me is my doctor. #i would NOT like to be judged by my weight (even though i don't way that much....I think)

March 27, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
  230. gabby

I think that it's a bad idea becuase that is not fair for poeple that have there suit case wiegh more will charge more and that will not be cool because what if there going to a long vaction and thats why it is a bad idea.

March 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
  231. Dasjha

I think This is a good idea because we need to protect our atmosphere and I its this protects the air and keeps us breathing

March 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
  232. jj

no, its rude to have the biger people pay more and it embareses the big people. i would now me dad is a pretty big guy

March 27, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  233. Amanee

I think they shouldn't weight the the people's bags cause it would take to much then I will take all the people's time to get on the airplane then the people will really mad

March 27, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
  234. charlie

I think fat people do not need to pay more money when they are flying. it is unfair and should be illegal. the people that work at the airport are just saying that people need to go on a diet.

March 27, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
  235. Noah

I think this is a good idea. This will also encourage people who fly a lot to work out more.

March 27, 2013 at 2:05 pm |
  236. bradyw

i think that that is a grate idea.if you are smaller then a lot of people then you do not have to pay less then more.

March 27, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
  237. Jae

that is not fair who cares if some one is fat fat people will not even pay any more to go on planes

March 27, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
  238. Alicia

Weighing luggage is perfectly fine, but weighing a person is going a little too far. You can control easily how much your luggage weighs right away, but a person, not so much.

March 27, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
  239. Chance and Thane

I don't think it is a good idea because it will take longer to get threw. ^3

March 27, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
  240. kelten

i think that people should have to pay more, for what they weight because, it would use up more oxygen and it would effect the other passengers but if the airlines had more money they could afford to extend the oxygen tanks for more room i n the tanks the oppositte effect would be it would take more time to go through the security

March 27, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
  241. Chance and Thane

I don't think it is a good idea because it will take longer to get threw.:)

March 27, 2013 at 2:24 pm |

I don't think someone that is skinny should be at fault for this plan. If a person is overweight, they should have to pay more. It takes more fuel to carry them than it does for someone who is skinny.

March 27, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
  243. Sarah

I think this is so crazy i would be humiliated if the whole airport knew my weight and make me pay more.

March 27, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
  244. Dayshaya

it should not matter about if your fat or not

March 27, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
  245. brady

I thank it is not fare because some people don't whant other people to no how much you way

March 27, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
  246. brianna&tj

We think that they shouldn't be judged by there wight.

March 27, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
  247. Jayden and Jacob

We think that it would be unfair to weigh people to see how much they have to pay and it is very rude to weigh somebody in public. Also it would be unfair because some people way a lot.We do not think it is a good idea except if it was children on the plane because children way a lot less than adults so it would possibly be eighty dollars for a eight years old.

March 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
  248. MADISYN

It isnt fair to make a young child buy a ticket that costs as much as a fully developed adult. The child weighs less and takes up less spaces so thier ticket should cost less.

March 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
  249. Alicia

March 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
  250. Julih and Davin

we don't think it's a good idea because it doesn't matter how much u way on a plain cause it's not like u will make the plain too heavy.

March 27, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
  251. will and hailey

some people weigh a lot and they mite want to ride.

March 27, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
  252. Micah and Charity

We think that people shouldn't be paid more to ride a plane because some people rely on planes and if they have a lot to take with them then they might find another way to transport somewhere else and the business would lose money. Also, it's impolite to charge obese people more than regular people so this shouldn't start in our USA airports.

March 27, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
  253. Micah and Charity

We think that people shouldn't be paid more to ride a plane because some people rely on planes and if they have a lot to take with them then they might find another way to transport somewhere else and the business would lose money. Also, it's impolite to charge obese people more than regular people so this shouldn't start in our USA airports. :)

March 27, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
  254. Peter

They already charge you for how much your bag weighs, and just because a person might be heavier doesnt mean they should get charged more. Its almost like a form of bullying.

March 27, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
  255. Reese

I don’t think it's a very good idea because my dad travels all around the world for work, and he has a bag full of tools like wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. and it weights a bunch I don’t think it is a very helpful for him to pay for his work stuff.

March 27, 2013 at 2:44 pm |
  256. marissa

Theyshould not do that to people.people need there money for other thing then that.plus strangers don't need to know how much I weigh so I disagree

March 27, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
  257. Jaiden

I understand why people would do this, but it doesn't seem fair to people who naturally weigh more than others.

March 27, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
  258. Madison

I think it could be a good idea. You could help decrese pollution and gas usage, but it might also motivate people to lose weight. Although, some people may find it rude and discouraging. So either way I don't really care.

March 27, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
  259. Daphne

I think that is a very bad idea. Some people can't control their weight. I like the fact that they are trying to help the environment. Maybe just the weight of people's bags.

March 27, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
  260. Cat

I think that its ok to weigh the luggage but not the people plus it takes more time.

March 27, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
  261. Ethan

I think that the airport should charge the same for how far you go, and my family and I are going to Montana for a vacation.

March 27, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
  262. kelsey

i dont think it is far it seems a little rude to do that it is very rude

March 27, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
  263. Alyssa

I think poeple should not have to pay more because they weigh more it is very rude to make poeple get weighed and then pay more because they are heaveir

March 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
  264. Dasia

I think you should be charged for the stuff packed in the suitcases. It uses a lots of the plane fuel.

March 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
  265. carmen

I Think its Wrong For the professer to get more fuel and putting out more polution cause tis it comes out more polution the poeple with asthma could die more and a alot of people could get cancer and So thats mt Reason ! Andd WOOAAAHHH !!! I LOVE CNN STUDENT NEWW !

March 27, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
  266. Elizabeth

After discussing this issue with my fifth grade class, we decided that charging more for people who weigh more to fly on an airplane is a form of discrimination and a violation of a person's rights. Heavier people should not have to pay more for a ticket than a thinner person. People should not be judged by their weight and deserve to pay the same amount as anybody else!!!!!

March 27, 2013 at 3:47 pm |

I think that it is un fair to the people who weigh more.

March 27, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
  268. Crystal

No, I don't think it is a good idea because it is unfair to make overweight people pay more just because of their size.

March 27, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
  269. Chase

I don't think this is a good idea because it penalizes people for weighing more.

March 27, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
  270. Colin

I think you should charge more on people's luggage, but not THEIR weight, that's just plain rude. If I were in charge of plane flights, I would put a stop to weigh people, NOT their luggage. I'm not a crude person who likes to peek at the numbers on a scale if someone is on one.

March 27, 2013 at 4:22 pm |
  271. Bobby

This is a great idea, but after analyzing the possibilities that can occur if this takes place: you would have a longer wait to get through the check-in, which is already a pain, and the airline could possibly end up losing money. If this were implemented it would have to be in one of three ways: a fixed price per kilogram or in pounds for the imperial passengers, a fixed price with a discount for passengers under the set weight and a surcharge for passengers above the weight (in order for this to work the surcharge would have to be more than the discount), or classifying each passenger as light, average, or heavy and setting fixed prices from there.

March 27, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
  272. Monae

I really don't think it matters, because the people that are overweight should still be able to travel and should NOT pay more just because of their weight.

March 27, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
  273. Helena

I think it’s a bad idea because if a person is heavier than another, the plain fuel still produces carbon dioxide. It does not help global warming . Another case would be that the luggage would weigh more, and the person owning the luggage wants to pay less money. Then the person has to remove things from the luggage making the person feel uncomfortable without those items.

March 27, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
  274. Simona

The idea could work since it will help people to become more aware of the amount of weight that they are carrying with them each time they travel. People may also come to understand that maybe they don't really need to travel with all the things they think are necessary. On the other hand, however, what a challenge it is going to be to decided how to pack before going on a trip!!!

March 27, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
  275. Grace

Weight is something personal. If I were at an airport and someone told me "You are this many pounds so you must pay this much." I would feel VERY embarrassed. Most people don't like going through the security cheek as long as it is now.

March 27, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
  276. Kya

I do not support this idea, my weight is my information and mine alone. No one else needs to see how much we weigh just to fly to what could possibly be a new job, or a job offer.

March 27, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
  277. Tess

I think this is an invasion of privacy. If people wanted you to know their weight, they would tell you. You don't just say," If you are taking Delta flight 46 to D.C., step this way to be weighed for additional charges." It is also unfair because many Americans are obeyed and do not want people to know that kind of stuff.

March 27, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  278. Nathan

I don't think that people should be charged more for their flight. That is just rude to charge people by their weight. Should a skinny person have to pay extra for not taking up enough room. Everyone should have to pay the same!!!!

March 27, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
  279. Marie

I think it is a good idea.1. it will cause people to pack only what they need. 2. if they charge by the pound, they will most likely take it because obese americans would pay more. THen again what do our opinions matter? the government never cares the the people think anyway.

March 27, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
  280. Christian

I think it would be a good idea to do this, not only would it help the earth but it may encourage weight loss.

March 27, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
  281. Chris

Although the idea is smart it would take up to much time and it would be plain out rude

March 27, 2013 at 5:16 pm |
  282. Tayrone

i think that it is a terrible idea to make people that weigh more pay more cause they might have a problem and if you are planning on going on a trip to a family members house that is across the U.S you might not be able to bring as much luggage

March 27, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
  283. Tory

The idea of having less fuel used and lowering the carbon dioxide in the air is good, but there are down sides of weighing people. Nobody wants someone knowing their weight unless you tell them. There is no need to be weighed in a public place, it could make people feel uncomfortable, weighing should be done in the doctor's office. You should not have to pay for how much you weigh, that is just rude. I say, try to lower the fuel and the carbon dioxide in the air is a good idea you just need to figure out a way that does not involve someone's body weight.

March 27, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
  284. Helen

I believe that people should pay more for their weight because it will help the environment if less overweight people stop taking a plane. As long as your weight is not publicly displayed

March 27, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
  285. Wedgie

I think it's reasonable to have people pay more for the weight of their luggage, but to have people pay more for their weight doesn't seem fair. How much luggage you take with you is a choice that you can easily modify. You weight, on the other hand, is more often than not something out of your control. Although the higher prices for higher weight may motivate people to make healthier choices, making them pay for it just isn't right.

March 27, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
  286. Olivia

Although it may help the environment, I don't think it's fair for people to have to pay more for what they weigh. I'd fully support people having to pay more for heavier luggage, but making them pay more for their weight is truly unfair.

March 27, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
  287. Sue

I don't think this is such an excellent idea. Lighter you weigh, less the pollution. However you need to think about someone's private weight and those who need to carry heavy things necessarily.

March 27, 2013 at 6:03 pm |
  288. joe

I don't think this a good idea because if or 5' 3" and in shape your are going to weigh less than some one that's 6'5" and in shape. thus I don't think it's a good Idea

March 27, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
  289. Aliea

I personally wouldn't mind this proposition to much because I travel relatively light and I'm not worried about my weight. But to those who ARE self–conscious about their weight, this system will only increase their worries about weight and possibly insult them. Besides, people are built differently and they can't help it. Its unfair to those who have to pay more because they are built differently.

March 27, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • Julia

I agree. People who weigh more could become offended. And people don't need to know my weight.

March 27, 2013 at 6:48 pm |
  290. Rebecca

I don't think this a good idea. I doubt it would make a difference in how much fuel a plane uses.Some people struggle or have a medical condition with their weight, so they should NOT be charged extra. Besides, people already don't like airport security and it would cost a lot of money.

March 27, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
  291. Emile

Some people bring so many things it's total weight is more than me. They should be charged by how much their bags and they weigh.

March 27, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
  292. taylor

I think it is a bad idea you should not be judge on how much you weigh and have to pay more because of it. would you like it if someone told you that you had to pay more to get on a plane??

March 27, 2013 at 6:14 pm |

I don't think it would help much because airports will spend more money buying and putting in scales to weigh people, and people will still pay the extra to get on, so either way this action probably won't help

March 27, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
  294. Emile

America needs oil. The less luggage they bring the less oil we use.

March 27, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
  295. Emile

We use 400 gallons of oil a day. We need to stop using that much oil. The less weight the less oil we use.

March 27, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
  296. Emile

People need to learn that they don't need everything they own to go on a trip. This will help people learn this lesson.

March 27, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
  297. Rohan

No, because it is a lose lose situation for both the airport and the people. People will be mad and wont travel and the airport wont make money. Ruining the transportation of flight

March 27, 2013 at 6:18 pm |

actually, airports might end up spending more because they would still need to put in scales and keep them in working order, an extra expense. plus, most people will be desperate enough to pay the extra, and either way the plane will be just as heavy. It's a smart idea, just not when you consider extra expenses and 'what if's?'

March 27, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
  299. Brooke

I do not think that this is a good ideas because then people would get angry about the cost, but what i do think is that we should fuel planes on garbage because it seems as if it is a resource that hurts the environment and is not recyclable yet. :)

March 27, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
  300. Kyra

I feel like this is just another way for people to lose self-esteem. You already have society and pop culture telling you to be skinny, we don't need the airlines telling us too.

March 27, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
  301. Rylan

i dont think it is a good idea, someone could be genitically fat and it wouldn't be his fault but he would still have to pay more, to me it is unfair.

March 27, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
  302. Emily

People should be able to bring heavy suit cases. If they weigh some one it might hurt their feelings if they
    have to pay more because they weigh more.

March 27, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
  303. Cierra

Yes, because it is really important that the amount of pollution stays low. I think that it will help people to carry less baggage and maybe even be a little healthier.

March 27, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
  304. Molly

Airports should not charge people based on their weight for a number of reason. For one, if a person were to be very light the airline company loses money by charging less then the average airfare. Also if a person is overweight it is rude and demeaning to weigh them publicly. If some of the larger people don't have enough money to pay the airfare the airline company loses more money because they've lost a customer.

March 27, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
  305. Emily

if people pay more because they are heavier is just going into people's privacy. like it would make me mad if someone judged me like that.

March 27, 2013 at 7:01 pm |
  306. Sydnei

I think that paying for how much you weigh is dumb. My family takes about 3 planes a year. We always gain pounds in between each flight so it would cost more and more each time.

March 27, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
  307. Aliea

For me personally, getting weighed to go on an airplane wouldn't be a big deal. But what about those who are self conscious about their weight? Or what if they don't want people to know how much they weigh? It's unfair to people who weigh more to pay more because they can't necessarily help it.

March 27, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
  308. Rebecca

Personally I think that this is a bad idea because eventually they are going to have to start charging us by how much we weigh for gas in our vehicles. People will stop riding in planes and the airlines will loose money. If this is the case then i don't think that i will be flying anytime soon.

March 27, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
  309. Jackie

I have mixed emotions. The heavier people may feel embaresed to show their weight to other people. Although, I think that charging luggage would be fine. I think that because I feel like some people's luggage is much larger than it needs to be, and it would be great to save fuel that way.

March 27, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
  310. Maddie

I think that it is a good idea because it will get a lot of people and watch what they eat. There would be less chance of overweight people in the USA. it would be a good impact on everyone!

March 27, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
  311. Ethan

My family and I like to go places by airplane, and I think that it does matter.

March 27, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
  312. Hana

People should not have to pay for how much they weigh, most people cant control how much they way, like tall people and some people cant control there weight. People should not have to pay for there physical characteristics. It could also make obese or larger people feel bad about them selfs.

March 27, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
  313. Lexy

I think that they should not do this, because it slows people down and lowers their budget to spend on their family and vacation. I think that they should not do this.

March 27, 2013 at 10:03 pm |
  314. Kayla

I think this won't work. Besides, you pay for your ticket before you get to the airport. Weighing the suit cases you bring is fine. Also, it could affend some people.

March 27, 2013 at 10:04 pm |
  315. Elise

I think that it is a good idea because some people need to get fit and if they weighed less it would conserve less fuel.

March 28, 2013 at 5:34 am |
  316. Jade

I think it is a good idea but I think it is very costly to actually pay for every piece of luggage that you have that is overweight.

March 28, 2013 at 6:01 am |
  317. Jade

I think it is hands down the worst idea idea ever.

March 28, 2013 at 6:07 am |
  318. Nicole

I don't think it will make much a difference really...i mean think about it, a plane weighs a ton and they think by having people who are heavy are going to make a big difference? I'm not sure...

March 28, 2013 at 6:55 am |
  319. Kyle

I think it's a WONDERFUL idea. I think this would help cut down obesity because don't want to pay extra.

March 28, 2013 at 7:21 am |
  320. Ben

Yes, this does seem like a good idea. But when you think about the number of overweight people in the world at this time, you may as well be raising the price for at least half of the population. On the other end, the airport security would take even longer (as if it doesn't take long enough already)

March 28, 2013 at 7:58 am |
  321. Chris

Bit ridiculous, this could be seen as discrimination against people of different weights.

March 28, 2013 at 10:27 am |
  322. .Ava.

I think this idea is very unfair to the people who weigh more then others. For some people it's hard to loose weight, even if you eat healthy and work out. I don't think it's fair to punish the people who want to travel but weigh to much and can't pay for a plane ticket.

March 28, 2013 at 11:37 am |
  323. Melody

I believe that charging people by their weight isnt fair & is not a good idea. Yes, airlines would get more money from those who are heavier than others, but it could damage peoples self-esteem and make them insercure. also, it could result in the loss of customers because with a obesity rate of 49.5% in america, alot of people would go out of their way to keep their weight to themself. But, if they did enforce the weight test that could result in more people taking cross country buses (ex. grey hound), trains, and cars. So, in a way it would support other transportation companys and gas stations (the more you drive the more you spend money on gas), but it could result in the loss of people taking airplanes.

March 28, 2013 at 11:45 am |
  324. Mr. Bob Juvinile Class for dangerous killers

It was my assumption that the airlines would not merely add an extra charge determined by weight to the original charge for airfare, but that for people under the average weight, the ticket would be cheaper than regularly, and vice versa. Also, I doubt that people that regularly fly would change their habits to driving just because of this pricing change, mainly because flight is a much quicker option, gasoline has grown to be quite expensive, and, depending on the length of the
    journey, you may be required to pay for logging. You must not forget that one can not drive over an ocean, and would only be able to fly or take a boat, which would be quite a delay. Lastly, while there might not be much room for carry-on luggage on a airplane, there will certainly be enough room if you check it in.

March 28, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
  325. Vicky

I don't think that weight should matter because it isn't fair for bigger people and then you have the skinny people that don't have to pay that much because they weigh so less.

March 28, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
  326. Mr. Bob Juvinile Class for dangerous killers

March 28, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
  327. Mady

i think the weight of the lugage should but not the weight of the person... doesn't say in the constitution we are all created equally, thats not very equal now is it?

March 28, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
  328. cooter

i think that idea is not worth the time and effort becuase by the time they set up the rules, equiptment and all the the other things the will get rid of it.

March 28, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
  329. Jordan

I think that they should not weigh people because some people are self-concious and some people don't don't want other people knowing there weight.

March 28, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
  330. trey

I dont think they should do that, because it would be unfair for really skinny people or over size people paying more than an average joe

March 28, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
  331. Tyler

wieght should not matter with the plane people should bring what they want and not pay extra money for it!!!!!!!!!!!

March 28, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
  332. Timmy

I would have to say people should get out and run a mile so they can lose wieght and that will also solve the obesity levels.

March 28, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
  333. Gabby

I think its a bad idea because some people naturally weigh more so it would cost them more, while naturally thin people wouldnt have to pay as much. I think they should just stay with the regular amount per ticket.

March 28, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
  334. Justin

I think its wrong to make people pay more by their weight. Thats their own personnel buisness of what they way or what they pack. Thats envaiding peoples privacy.

March 28, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
  335. Rich

I would agree with using luggage weight, but I could see using passenger weight being seen as discrimination against overweight individuals. I myself wouldn't be affected by this assuming there would still be a standard rate for average or under weight individuals.

March 28, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
  336. Louis

I think it is great that they are finally starting to find ways to save fuel, pollute less, and articles of this sort, but some may also argue this is not the way to do it: Looking at the previous comments i have noticed that people tend to say that it would be embarrassing or even rude, however we cannot assume that they will display the weight of an individual for all to see. Furthermore, it is in all probability that you wont pay pound for pound as you do for produce, there is most likelihood that there will be certain ranges that one will fall into. It may very well indeed be a quality concept; but one may also argue that it is rather unnecessary and that there are other ways in which fuel could be conserved i.e. making planes out of lighter materials. But again that could be countered by the fact that though, individually it does not make loads of difference, in whole the appended weight of everything certainly would, in fact add up to be quite a bit. The argument as to what might might be the best possible panacea could go on for a while and unfortunately i do not possess the time to bring it further.

March 28, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
  337. ilanytte

I dont see the problem with having to turn off your phone, I mean its for your own safty anyways.

March 28, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
  338. breanna

I think that this idea is very bad because you will lose alot of money because people will not want to fly on an airplane. If someone weighs more than an other person they should not have to pay more just because they weigh more. plus they will make people feel bad about having to pay extra on how much they way.

March 28, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
  339. Alec

im on both sides of the idea. i do think it would be good to help the environment by lowering the weight, but it does kind of seem unfair and like a bit of a scam. its definetily something worth debating.

March 28, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
  340. Hailey

It doesn't seem fair. It costs enough money just paying for a plane ticket, and making someone pay more because they weigh more is incredibly rude. They aren't going to lose weight just so they can ride on a plane.

March 28, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
  341. Ethan

I don't like people to see how much weight, and it is personal to me for people to see what I have in my bags.

March 28, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
  342. Tj

I don't think that it is a great idea. Most people are not comfortable with their weight already, and if they're weight is announced in front of a couple hundred people that will probably make them not feel to good. And, it will slow security down worse than it already is!

March 28, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
  343. Jason

Yes less pollution is good,but it's worth the cost to help our planet.

March 28, 2013 at 6:10 pm |