January 31st, 2013

Change and Social Media

On Friday, we tell you about a student who was so upset about an ingredient in Gatorade that she got an online petition started.  Her goal: to get Gatorade to drop the ingredient and change its formula.

The ingredient is considered safe by the U.S. government, but Gatorade said it was getting rid of it anyway "because we know that some consumers have a negative perception" of it.

All this got us thinking:  Have you ever taken to social media to try to get something changed?  And would you call social media are a good way to cause change - or do you think this was just a rare incident?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Please remember to include only your first name when commenting.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Elizabeth

Using social media to cause change does work–there are to many sucess stories for it to simply be a rare incident–but nothing can compare to getting out and letting your voice be heard in your community. Social media can draw awareness, but it can't show your passion for something.

January 31, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
  2. Grace

Honestly, I wouldn't call this rare, but it's not common. I've thought about trying to change things through media, but the research that I'd have to do in order for me to make what I'm doing "professional" is to far out of my reach. These kinds of things don't happen as often as they should.

January 31, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
  3. Chris

I haven't started any petitions, however I think social media is a great way to cause change. It's a fast and easy way to spread your message amongst millions of people and make a difference.

January 31, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
  4. Abbye

Many people watch the news and it gets people's attention if something important comes up.Usually they will mention it to a couple of their friends and their friends tell their friends and so on. It will be passed on and someone may use the social media to get other people's attention. Someone will do something to get it changed.

January 31, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
  5. Mr.Winns 6th hour

If you used the social media to et something changed, it would work depending on the age group. Most teens and kids are on computers. If it was a news paper you would reach out to more adults than kids or children. However, technology is becoming more popular for all age groups. So in about a year using social media will be perfect to get news around or change something!

January 31, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
  6. Mackenzie

During my schools student council election, the primary nominees were a boy and a girl. The boy is from an upper-middle class family and the girl is a native american-who is also adopted. An incident happened during the voting and ultimately the boy won. This is not the issue, as the issue was that the principal made racist remarks regarding the girl and attributed her losing, to her race. Myself and a group of others took this story for the media, including blogs, newspapers and televisions. They exposed the principal as a racist and also removed decided that class president is not necessary. Essentially, the injustice and upright rudeness of the principal was brought to the media and change occurred. Our perception of the media may be disoriented, but it also provides attention to stories that deserve it.

January 31, 2013 at 9:11 pm |
  7. matthew

yes i think it dose because you are going out there to get help

January 31, 2013 at 9:15 pm |
  8. Phillip

I think it's a good source for giving good effects. Because peoples always use the internet as their home. That means a lot of people will look at your articles and your comments such as CNN Student News!

January 31, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
  9. JinHui

I mainly participated human rights act through social media. Thorugh my facebook, I do campaign to encourage participating Amnesty International's online petition that can save many people. Moreover, currently famous Laos educator Sombath Somphone is missing and I am participating in that campaign through social media. I think social media is very effective way to encourage people's participation as it is easily accessible and it takes comparatively less time. The participant is not only limited to your nation, but also we can get the agreement and help from all around the globe. We can add many multimedias and charts to prove our opinion and get the agreeemnet of people. It is one of the most effective and efficient way to use.

January 31, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
  10. michael

If you ever want a company to drop an ingredient, you have rile up the social media!!

January 31, 2013 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Marissa

I think that social media is a very good medium for reaching the public but I also know that it doesn't always work very well. A young girl started a petition on the same site as Gatorade girl to try and change Jamba Juice's use of Styrofoam cups and Jamba Juice only changed bay area stores in response. That's not fair!

January 31, 2013 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Trevor

I say two thumbs up for her! I think it was a good idea for her to take a stand and fight Gatorade. It is nice to know that someone is looking out for other people in the U.S.

January 31, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Jared

I once had my school start a new lunch schedule (by a Facebook page) based on calories but still keeping everyone happy. I think that social media is a great way to spread word about a cause since everyone uses it daily.

January 31, 2013 at 11:46 pm |
  14. Lola

Definitely, social media is a fabulous way to get people‘s attentions. Hundreds of thousands of people just gather online and support others for a unanimous idea. It is a place where you can speak out loud and your voice can be amplified.

February 1, 2013 at 12:08 am |
  15. Lola

Definitely, social media is a fabulous way to get attentions. Hundreds of thousands of people just gather online and support others for a unanimous idea. It is a place where you can speak out loud and have your voice amplified.

February 1, 2013 at 12:13 am |
  16. Ricardo

I call social media a good cause. Ever since our school administration deteriorated, it was social media that brought us together and let us brainstorm for ways in which we could all compromise so we could bring our school upward again. We all prefer to rant online rather than in-person.

February 1, 2013 at 1:09 am |
  17. Erica

I think that social media is a good tools for people to change something. If the topic gets to the "Popular Voice", it can affect hugely. For instance, in Korea, many employees go on a strike and it usually gets to the social media. Most times, it works. Now, those employees can work in the environment they want to work at.

February 1, 2013 at 3:43 am |
  18. Jessica

Social Media is 100% a way to inflict change. There are many pro-gun protests going on right now that seem to be making government officials think twice about passing laws.

February 1, 2013 at 7:17 am |
  19. luke

I think there is no reason to take the ingredients out of gatorade.they have never done that in America why start now?

February 1, 2013 at 9:09 am |
  20. chris

I think that the oil isn't a problem and the people that are protesting are wasting there time. its not that bad for you unless you over doss on the oil.

February 1, 2013 at 9:12 am |
  21. Ben

I think that if we change the ingredients miss well just change the name to haterrade

February 1, 2013 at 9:13 am |
  22. Aseeyah

No i haven't done a online social media about something that i wanted to be changed but i can't blame the girl for doing one .

February 1, 2013 at 9:14 am |
  23. Hunter

I think Gatorade is perfect the way it is. It is how the company has always made it and I have never heard of a death from Gatorade! :)

February 1, 2013 at 9:15 am |
  24. Cheyenne

no i have not started a petition to change something. But yes i think it is a good way to make a change because it is easier to be heard that way most people don't listen if you say it face to face. I think what she did was very nice thing to do its felt like she was looking out for other people than just herself.

February 1, 2013 at 9:15 am |
  25. Meredith

No I haven't and I don't think it is a good way to cause a change because it causes to much disagreement between people.

February 1, 2013 at 9:17 am |
  26. joshua

i think poeopl drink more gaderrade

February 1, 2013 at 9:18 am |
  27. kaeleigh

i think it is okay to take it out as long as it don't take out none of the taste cause whats gatorade with out a flavor i would call it haterade if it had no flavor so i hope they don't take the ingredient out of it. me and my sister drink gatorade every day. and if they take it out and it changes gatorade were not gonna have any sports drink cause i took that to cheer practice every day and if they take the taste out of gatorade ill have to take plain water i don't wanna have to take plain water with no taste

February 1, 2013 at 9:18 am |
  28. Allie

I haven't taken to social media for change although I think if you are trying to change something, social media is a great way to get attention. If this ingredient is causing problems with consumers, it's good that Gatorade is getting rid of it.

February 1, 2013 at 9:20 am |
  29. noetic

i think people should drink Gatorade and not be mad unless you are alerginic to anything in Gatorade.

February 1, 2013 at 9:21 am |
  30. Lily

I think what she did was the right thing to do, because if you don't like something you should try to change it. I do think going to the social media is a good way to get something out to the public.

February 1, 2013 at 9:22 am |
  31. enya

social media is a good way because a lot of people have a Facebook or twitter and if you post something then a lot of people can see the post and share it with others

February 1, 2013 at 9:23 am |
  32. enya

social media is a good way because, a lot of people have a Facebook or twitter and if you post something then a lot of people can see the post and share it with others.

February 1, 2013 at 9:24 am |
  33. Haley

I have never used the social media to try to change something. I do think that the social media might be a good way to try to change something, but you might have to put in on a website that many people look on.

February 1, 2013 at 9:24 am |
  34. Maggie

No, i haven't tried to do it. And it depends on what it is to make it change or not.

February 1, 2013 at 9:24 am |
  35. Alyssa

No, and i think this because people are getting bullied on the internet.

February 1, 2013 at 9:24 am |
  36. hanna

well i don"t think they should take out one ingredient just because (one) girl has her own opinion about it well there is probably millions of people that don"t want it to change she can have her opinion but we have ours

February 1, 2013 at 9:28 am |
  37. Tianna

Well I think they should get rid of it because more people might bey it then they do.

February 1, 2013 at 9:30 am |
  38. anabel

I've never done anything like it, but I do think it's a good way to get the news out there. millions of people look at the Internet every day, so why not take advantage.

February 1, 2013 at 9:32 am |
  39. eduardo

i think media is a good way to make change because it's easyer to find people for your petition.

February 1, 2013 at 9:47 am |
  40. Lidia

I think this was a rare incident about the bevarage Gatorade.I willl still drink it and it shouldnt be band in the US.

February 1, 2013 at 9:49 am |
  41. Koa

Food and drink additives can have potentially harmful effects. I am glad that Gatorade is cutting back on the number of chemicals in its soft drinks, and wish other companies would do the same.

February 1, 2013 at 9:49 am |
  42. Equallie

I do not agree with her because it is steel a good drink it brings a lot of enerngy

February 1, 2013 at 9:50 am |
  43. Geor'dan

I think social media is a good way to get information, businesses, and other important things heard. Social media is something everyone uses and most likely a lot of people will see your post and it might be just your luck the right person can see it and get your point heard.

February 1, 2013 at 9:51 am |
  44. Angel

No, I have never taken social media. Yes I would call social media a good way to cause changes.

February 1, 2013 at 9:52 am |
  45. Sherrol

In my honest opinion, Sarah did the right thing.If she knew that BVO was banned in Japan and Europe, there has to be something wrong with it. Ever since she came up with the petition, Gatorade is trying to make a difference with its drink to make sure it doesnt cause health problems. She made an important differnce.

February 1, 2013 at 9:52 am |
  46. Jah-mir

I also believe that the company has to change the ingrediant.Its not helpful in any way.

February 1, 2013 at 9:52 am |
  47. Niel

No I've never took any thing to the meida.Also I think it was a rare mastake.

February 1, 2013 at 9:53 am |
  48. Eric

Yes I did because something was wrong with an It throw up.

February 1, 2013 at 9:55 am |
  49. Nicky

Social media is a great way to make a change! So many people see your cause in a short amount of time and it is easy to support your cause online.

February 1, 2013 at 9:56 am |
  50. Maddie

I think social media websites like Facebook are a great way to inspire change. In Arab Spring, some people used websites like these to show what they were up to and gain support. Maybe we could use these websites to help inspire change in countries other than our own. Like maybe we could make North Korea not communist.

February 1, 2013 at 10:06 am |
  51. Brice

I have never seen the need to start a petetion on social media, however if i did social media would most likely be a good way to get my voice out there since so many people use these social networks.

February 1, 2013 at 10:35 am |
  52. Chad

I think that the power of social media allows for change to happen quickly because one person can connect to the entire world in sharing their opinions. Depending on how well a person presents their feelings and can relate to others, they stand a good chance of drawing attention. The control that social media now has on impacting large businesees will change the very world that we live in.

February 1, 2013 at 10:36 am |
  53. Samantha

I think it can, because people are on it so often, and use it so much.

February 1, 2013 at 10:52 am |
  54. corbin

I have not done social media so I don't want to do it.

February 1, 2013 at 10:52 am |
  55. paidyn

I think what is in it is fine.

February 1, 2013 at 10:54 am |
  56. Landon

i don't think they should drop the ingredient.

February 1, 2013 at 10:54 am |
  57. Ryland

I don't think it should change because we have already drinken it.

February 1, 2013 at 10:56 am |
  58. Whitney and Zoey

February 1, 2013 at 10:57 am |
  59. katelyn

I have always loved the taste of Gatorade. I have also known that it is not the healthiest choice for a sports drink. I think it may be a good idea to change the formula a little bit if it has been causing trouble. Other than that, I'm fine with Gatorade.

February 1, 2013 at 11:03 am |
  60. sarah

no I havent but I think it is a good idea because people spend allot of time on the internet and its most likely for them.

February 1, 2013 at 11:07 am |
  61. Ms. Fletcher's Social Studies Class :)

Hey Carl! We discussed this question and here is our feedback on this issue: 1) For those that have access to the internet, posting a message for a cause is a very good way to give and receive information because of how quickly things can be updated. 2) Sometimes the social media can help an individual get their voice heard by the power of numbers.

February 1, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  62. Sam

I'd say that if you play your cards right, social media is a GREAT way to make changes to our society. It used to be that to get word out you would have to be wealthy enough to put up billboards, create flyers or make a commercial, but nowadays to get word out it's as simple as a few keystrokes and a click of a button.

February 1, 2013 at 11:28 am |
  63. Mr. J's Social Studies class

Your voice needs to be heard. No matter if it's on social media, a news channel, newspaper, or any other media. Use what's available!!!

February 1, 2013 at 11:35 am |
  64. kitty

i would personally go to the media to help get my point across. People are relying on the internet, television, etc. But not everyone acknowledges others opinions, or strong beliefs.

February 1, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
  65. Jackson

I think social media is a great way to get word out about something that you think is important because there are so many people on social media sites.

February 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
  66. Alamjit

I dont think that gatorade is that bad. Though im really glad that that the harmful ingredient that was banned in Japan and England is now gone i contuine on drinking gatorade.

February 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  67. Madysen

I think that she did a good job on standing for what she believed. And why would gatorade have BVO, a chemical that is banned in othere countries because of some bad things that it does, in there sports drink. Honestly, I have drinken so many gatorades and not known that BVO was in it, I am glad that they are going to take it out now. I t is unbelievable that one teenager can change peoples opinions about something. I think more and more people should speak their minds.

February 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  68. Kyle

i like Gadorade but if Gadorade is bad then i will just stop. I think what i enjoy is not as importnant as my health.

February 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  69. Alamjit

I think social media is a good tool to make changes because ltos of people all over the world can see it and not just people you know or live around you.

February 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  70. Ibne

socail media is good because if it wasnt for socail media gatorade would'nt have took out BVO

February 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  71. brandon

I think yuo are correct a bad ingrediant maybe bad for the little kids how drink gatorade.I think yuo did a good thing making a campan in internet.

February 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  72. chilleet

i agree cemicles that aren't needed shuldent be in eny food or driks and i think it was a good idea to use social media to say that she didn't want to drink the cemicles

February 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  73. Redentor

Social media is nice because it helps us learn more and help us understand history and past

February 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  74. LILI

I think it is a powerfull tool to use if you want to get herd.

February 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  75. Gabriela

I think social media is sometimes a good way to get the message out. Personally I wouldnt do that, but it seemed to work for her and it also depends on which website you post comments on to try to make the change.

February 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  76. Jahmere

Yes because a company custumer should have the right to take bad indredients...But No I never went to soical media to change something.

February 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  77. Danielle

I think that scocial media is a good to make a change of things because, people from different countrys can join in and a lot of people are on computers

February 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  78. Alex

I think social media is a good way to make change because so we can learn about it

February 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  79. gabriel

is this stuff on other enrgy drinks

February 1, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
  80. Omar

I think that thay have to stop makink drinks that are good but not good for your hbody

February 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
  81. crystal

I think what the girl did made a differents

February 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
  82. Brooklyn

I have not went on line an have people sign a petition but ,I have signed other people's petition's.I did sign Sarah's petition

February 1, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
  83. Bryan

Whats the big deal about this ingredient?Its not making anyone sick,so it shouldn't be a big deal.

February 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
  84. Kieran

I don't think that there is a problem. I have been drinking gatorade for the past 10 years and I haven't gotten sick or anything. I don't see why people are freaking out so much.

February 1, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
  85. Justin

I think that it is not bad at all because most teenagers may have a Facebook or Twitter account that they may use.

February 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
  86. Jacob

I think that it is an effective way to get your point through, but if you use it to often or for silly things, people won't listen to you. :)

February 1, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
  87. Chance

I think they should keep the ingredient.:)

February 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
  88. Jillian

No I have not done any thing like that but there are lots of things that I would like to make a change in and after watching CNN student news I will try my best to.

February 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
  89. Olivia and tyler

:)Yes I do think internet can help you if you want something changed.The internet is connected to the government.:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

February 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
  90. Olivia

February 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
  91. Jayden

No I haven't took social media. Yes I would call social media as a good way to cause or change A rare incident.

February 1, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
  92. Branna

no but i don't know why

February 1, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
  93. kelten

i think that the social media should tell the true story.

February 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
  94. Charity

Well i agree and disagree because if she doesent like it and the goverment says its ok than just dont eat it if you really dont like it that mutch but she should get ahold of someone that can take care of this situation and then find a bunch of poeple tell them about it and then maybe someone can post something on a website and let the poeple vote.

February 1, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
  95. Holly

This was not just coincidence; teenagers these days (including myself) spend over 90% of their online time on social media sites. With everything being reblogged, shared, and retweeted, it's not very shocking for some very good arguments to become more than just a simple 'post'. Teens are the voices of the future and have the ability to change the world. If you're not afraid, then go do it!

February 1, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
  96. Nathaniel

I think social media is a great way to make a difference. Right now a lot of people are protesting the Boy Scouts proposed decision, and I think it is making large change!

February 1, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
  97. Alec

The social media obviously is a good way to get a change. Social Media reaches out to millions of people and keeps them knowing. Think about it a girl can put a video up of her eating her own tampon and reach millions. Think about something that actually matters.

February 1, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
  98. Erica

I haven't ever went to social media to try to get something changed because I never have thought about it until now. I think this is a great way to show your opinions to the world and hopefully receive a change because anyone can tell what they think. You don't have to be trained in that area you have a view in to share what you think.

February 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
  99. Marie

I have never posted on social media, but I think it would be a good idea for students who know how to change lives, but just don't have the right ingredients. It may have been a rare incident, but this rare incident might just make the social media pay more attention to citizens with ideas.

February 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
  100. erin

When i saw your story, it immediately made me think of a program i started in 5th grade, to stop and end animal neglecting for good. I started this because i saw too many animals getting neglected for no reason and it broke my heart. I call this program SUAR. It stands for Stand Up for Animal Rights. No i have not done a video on the internet, but i have done research on it. For example, on average, 500 animals die each day from animal neglect or abuse, and 300,000 die for the same reason each year. I love animals and I know they need help. I'm speaking out for them because they need us.

February 1, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  101. brandon

just really really change your ingreadients so kids can have a healthy beverage

February 1, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
  102. Soren

Gatorade is simply a hart attake in a bottle.

February 1, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
  103. Makenna

i think what the girl did was good because she was took a stand and did what she wanted to do so she could drink her favriote engy drink agian

February 1, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
  104. Kalysta

I think that girl should keep her feelings to herself because other people who disagree will have to go with it anyway. Also she could drink other drinks like that anyway. she needs to tough it up.

February 1, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
  105. hayden

no I have never usesd on line to stat on but I think I might

February 1, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
  106. IZZIE

I think she should change the ingredients because people are getting mad.

February 1, 2013 at 4:48 pm |
  107. Eli

i think we should give him another change

February 1, 2013 at 4:48 pm |
  108. Daisy

I think they should change this ingredient because it is unhealthy for kids to drink if they tack it out it would still be the same

February 1, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
  109. mali

all gatorade needs to do is take out chemicals

February 1, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
  110. angelina

i think gaderade is fine people have been drinking it for years

February 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
  111. Celina

now i understand why he was upset about the gatorade

February 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
  112. Maya

I have always wanted to inform the social media for issues too but I have never gotten to do that I think she is doing the right thing.

February 1, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
  113. luca

She's right and it's high time we do some thing about Gatorade's nasty chemicals

February 1, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
  114. mario

they should change stuff because people get sick and you can get sue

February 1, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
  115. carlos

I think she did the right thing even because she loves gatorade. She even through out all of hers because of that ingredient.

February 1, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
  116. Crystle

I think that they should just leave the company alone because it helps people get healthy energy

February 1, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
  117. cristan

i think the chemical's not bad.

February 1, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
  118. Madilyn

Social Media is definitely one of the best ways to cause a change. So many people, ordinary and influential, have Facebook, Twitter, etc. Someone who has a lot of influence in the world can bring this to attention. You CAN make a difference, and social media ozone of the ways to do it!!!!

February 1, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
  119. Pat

Two years ago I started a petition on Facebook for a bit of a geeky cause: to get Nickelodeon to air a 20-year anniversary season of Power Rangers. Enough fans of the show joined in and now I'm proud to announce that Power Rangers Megaforce, the official 20-year anniversary season, aired its first episode on Saturday!

February 1, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
  120. Hannah

I think social media is one of the best ways to spread around some type of protest. Websites like Tumblr, Facebook, and Twitter are used by millions of people, so how on earth is someone going to miss your words? One post, blog, tweet, or message can be passed on and on. It goes throughout the website you're using, and onto even more websites. You just have to be careful of what you type. I have been a part of social media chains to change problems, and the word DOES get around quickly.

February 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
  121. Christina

Well, I did create the idea for a petition, but not in social media. I hate bullying. So I told her about the idea of making a petition and the kids in my school who are against bullying, will sign it. Most of the school had signed it and since that day, there were less bullies in my school. :)

February 1, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
  122. Libby

I believe that social media is a great way to cause a change. You can contact everyone faster, and even reach people on the other side of the globe. This was no rare case- remember the bus monitor incident? People who watched that video helped raise $50,00 for the victim. Coincidence? I think not.

February 1, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
  123. Ava

It is a Unnecessary ingredient in the Gatorade, there for they should take it out. I don't even know why they put it in there in the first place.

February 1, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
  124. Brielle

I have never started an online petition. And I'm glad. I honestly think, Who's going to look at this stuff anyway. I mean, no one just goes around looking for online petitions to agree to. Whoever does has to much free time on their hands.

February 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
  125. NICK

We shoukd use this vaulable resouce. I have seen many great pettions oline through Facebook plus there are many sites for ir.

February 1, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
  126. Maria

Gatorade should rid of all bad ingredients including corn syrup, artificial colors and flavors.

February 1, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
  127. Chassidy

Positive change can come out of places we've never imagined.

February 1, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
  128. Maria

I think Social Media is a great way to get attention for something to change. No, personaly I have never done a huge petition but at school I started one that won.

February 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
  129. Woodson

I think so. Social media has revolutionized how quickly change can occur. Opinions can be expressed more quickly and measurably, making societal change much more efficient.

February 1, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
  130. Vanshikha

Yes! Social media is a good way to cause change because it's a place almost everyone goes on and it's worldwide .

February 1, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
  131. Hiroki

I think social media is a good tool to cause change. For instance, imposing severe corporal punishment on students is a recent controversial issue in Japan. Students had endured physical and mental punishment, but now they are not tolerate anymore. As a result, violent teachers is beginning to be ostracized. It is time for Japan to change its education.

February 1, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
  132. Felicia

I think social media is a great way to get something to change because so many people use internet. It's worldwide and everyone can see it even the person that you don't know. Especially if you're trying to get rid of something that is bad for your health.

February 1, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
  133. Chris

If somerthing you wish to change arouse sympathy among people in social media, it is not a coincidence, but a real problem to change.

February 1, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
  134. Chris #2

I think Social Media is a good way to cause change because most people are on social media. The word would spread fast.

February 1, 2013 at 10:34 pm |
  135. Morgan

I have never been on or in social media, but I believe that social media can either tell the whole truth with different points of views, or tell only what they think is important. Social media is a puzzle.

February 1, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
  136. Azelia

Though I have never used social media as a way to change things, there are certainly a lot of people out there who are using Facebook or websites like change.org to petition and fight for certain causes.
    I don't think this was the first, nor will it be the last cause that will be using social media, so I certainly don't think this is a rare occurrence. It's happened before.

February 1, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
  137. Jarod

Making a petition online is not very effective then just going around the world asking people to sign it, I think.

February 2, 2013 at 12:51 am |
  138. Macqueen

I didn't do any social media, but I do think that it is a good way to solve the problem because you can solve things more peacefully than protests.

February 2, 2013 at 4:07 am |
  139. siye

Not many people use social media, but social media is good way to express one's view.
    In some cases like this Gatorade thing, It worked in positive way, but some cases are not.
    Because social media is very effective. However, we have right to do that, don't we?!
    So I think it's good to use social media to demand something to change, or to complain.

February 2, 2013 at 8:16 am |
  140. (david)

Gatorade is fine
    I think we like something then when we finned out whats in it we overeact

February 2, 2013 at 10:49 am |
  141. Emile

Once I was on the inernet and someone wrote Barcelona stinks and then I wrote back NOPE!!!!!!!

February 2, 2013 at 11:08 am |
  142. Neal

Social Media definitely makes an impact on our thoughts. We share our thoughts on CNN Student News anyway so if it didn't matter, then why would we do it.

February 2, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
  143. tyler

no they shoulden't change the ingredients because i like it the way it is

February 2, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
  144. Gavin

While I have never personaly gone on line for help or to protest against something I most certainly think it is helpful. If you put something on line it will get some attention due to the rising amount of people spending a rising amount of time on social media networks like facebook and twitter.

February 2, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
  145. sadie

I personally have never done anything with social networks like she did. But, i don't think this was just a rare streak of luck. So many people use Facebook and Twitter and other things it is easy to get word out. One person tells their friends and they tell their friends and then the chain reaction starts.

February 2, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
  146. Sam

I think it is a great way to get the word out about something that you believe needs to be changed. With that said, if you put enough effort and thought into changing something, anything could be changed (within reason)

February 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
  147. Ariel

Everyone is on some social media site, and seeing someone try to change something, is not uncommon. It is uncommon though, to see the change actually happen.

February 2, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
  148. Lucy

I think that this petition is a great idea!Gatorade should not be puting in ingridients we dont know about!

February 2, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
  149. Ellie

I have never tried to change anything by the computer, but if I wanted to that's what I would use. A lot more people go on the internet then read the news paper.

February 2, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
  150. Rachal

Social media is very popular, and if you use it right, you can make your cause a big trend

February 3, 2013 at 1:48 am |
  151. Jillian

Well, it depends. I think if you believe in something you can make it happen if you try. This girl stood up for what she belived in and she made it happen.

February 3, 2013 at 9:53 am |
  152. Haley

The greatest issue impacting the future of my generation will be climate change. Almost every aspect of our lives relies on reasonably consistent weather and seasons. Lacking that, in addition to the massive super-storms we are already seeing, our transportation networks, supply trucks, job security, and, perhaps most frightening, our agriculture will take severe hits at the least. At the most, they will completely break down.

February 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
  153. Sue

Social media is definitely a good way to get something changed. I've seen dozens of people trying to change school lunch menu, school violence and even law in online-and some of them really succeed.

February 3, 2013 at 5:14 pm |