January 30th, 2013

Top Issues for Teenagers

Thursday's show will bring you my interview with the Boys and Girls Clubs National Youth of the Year.  Her name is Trei Dudley, and she brings up several issues that a recent survey said were most important to teenagers:

• Not being able to find money for college
  • Not being able to find a job after high school
  • Youth violence
  • Risky behaviors, like drinking or drug abuse.

Are these the top issues for you and your friends?  Or is there something else you'd add to this list?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Please remember to include only your first name when commenting.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Nicole

Not just simple problems we sometimes go through like drama, friends, fitting in, or whatever else, but now there is much more to worry about being a teenager in different places, like were am I going to sleep tonight or when am I going to eat. I am very lucky to have a great family and friends like I do, or I would have nothing.

January 30, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
  2. Adeena

I do believe these issues are important, mainly drinking and drug abuse. I'm not in highschool yet but our class gets a lot of talk form our teachers about being careful.

January 30, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
  3. Connor

Stress and peer pressure

January 30, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
  4. Chandler

A top issue for teenagers today is the pressure of getting in to a good college. A huge emphasis is put on performing well on the SAT and ACT tests which are difficult exams for a lot of people.

January 30, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • Chandler

They need to study hard while they are in high school.Then see what they get when they get out in the real world

January 31, 2013 at 9:44 am |
  5. Caroline

Although I wont be in college for a while, I'm really concerned about how the job rates will be when it's time to enter my career. I want to be able to find a job where I can support myself and in the future my family.

January 30, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
  6. Maanav

I think the top issue of teenagers is that they do not concentrate on studies at school.

January 30, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
  7. Matthew

I believe that the listed problems are bad, but another one i think is academic pressure. Some people just never think there grade is good enough. Like if you get the A/B honor roll, you want the A honor roll. if you got C's, you want the A/B honor roll.

January 30, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
  8. Abbye

I believe many teens don't respect their parents. You see a bunch of people try to act cool and say bad things about their parents in front of their friends on purpose. It's not just parents. At my school many kids are told to do a simple act,such as, tucking in their shirts for safety reasons, and they look at the teacher like they are crazy and ignore them completely. Peer pressure is also a concern. Many teens that do drugs and drink are pushed in to it by their friends. They feel as if they will be cool if they do what their friends dare them to do.I think these are several issues that many teens deal with.

January 30, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
  9. Adam

II think that the biggest problem for teenagers is that they don't listen to their parents and then their parents won't fund College.

January 30, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
  10. jalen

i think bullying maybe the cause of the teen behavior!

January 30, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
  11. Jinhui

For me and my friend, preparing for the promotion to upper school is the most important, which includes preparing tuition and keep our GPA up also preparing interview.It will be very competitive. I think it will be most common problem teens are struggling with. I hope we all work hard and get a good result.

January 30, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
  12. Hana

Some more problems are bullying " physically, mental, cyber", not having enough money in general, obesity, lack of exercise, access to social programs, peer pressure and home problems.

January 30, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
  13. Lauren

I agree with Trei. Teens that that graduate form high school really are hard pressed to get money for college and then a job after college. I do think teen violence and drug and alcohol abuse are big issues too. Another is bullying. Bullying drives kids to suicide. Words really do hurt. You know that old saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me?" Not true. I speak from experience. Schools should take more steps to prevent bullying and have support groups for troubled and bullied teens.

January 30, 2013 at 8:59 pm |
  14. Sam

I don't think those are the main issues for teenagers. Those issues about drinking and smoking are simply stereotypes. The majority of teenagers, like me and my friends, don't have these kinds of issues. True, some people worry about earning money, but they still have their parents to depend on for a short amount of time.

January 30, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
  15. La'Quisha

I think issues such as bullying is a problem because it causes around 4,400 deaths a year. It is a situation that needs tougher regulating because bullying can happen sometimes without anybody reporting it. Bullying also can happen on the Internet since we live in the 21st century and we have all sorts of crazy electronic devices. Plus, parents and responsible adults don't always keep an eye on children 24/7. It can happen from school to home without parents realizing what the heck is going on. This is why, Carl, I believe bullying should be added to the list.

January 30, 2013 at 9:18 pm |
  16. Cydney

I think that those three are perfect. I would only add bullying to the list because I know that many kids suffer because of it, whether its violence or verbal bullying it still hurts. I think we need to "dissect" it more, or break it down and address each part to fully attempt to solving this problem.

January 30, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
  17. Shaina

I would add there are a lot of young teenagers who are disobeying their parents, kids should listen to their parents more so they can have a better life.

January 30, 2013 at 9:37 pm |
  18. siye

How about finding significant other?
    I think it's a big deal!!

January 30, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
  19. Fransisco

These are issues that have come up between me and my friends I would also like to add not being able to support yourself.

January 30, 2013 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Felicia

Our minds are still maturing during our teenage life and definately there are surplus of things we can add on to the list. Since the economy is still bad, definately finding a job and find money for college is definately one of biggest obstacles we have to face since stores want to find experienced workers, not amatuers.

January 30, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
  21. Angela

i think some other issues that teens have are playing to violent games and watching to violent movies and, videos. And also I think that is also up to the parent's rules.

January 30, 2013 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Minjoon

Another issue teenagers are facing, is the worry about how to make a living after they finish college. Some examples are, not knowing what kind of job you will get, how you will afford a house, how you pay back the loan someone gives you, etc.

January 31, 2013 at 12:05 am |
  23. Gurchetan

All issues are true,I think that risky behavior and drug abuse is most important.So it should be stop and i request to teenagers and my mates stop it or ruin your life,Choice is yours.

January 31, 2013 at 12:50 am |
  24. Melissa

I agree that finding money for college is difficult, but I think that violence and drug and alcohol abuse are bigger problems.

January 31, 2013 at 1:02 am |
  25. zack

One of the things teens are worried about is staying ahead in school and if they are older then 16 geting and keeping a job. ;-)

January 31, 2013 at 1:04 am |
  26. Suhas

I think the problem for teenagers are the jobs and more and more people are graduating and the line for jobs is getting larger in quantity.

January 31, 2013 at 1:18 am |
  27. Ricardo

Good public education is a must because although we still need hamburger flippers in our cities, we also need well educated people to lead our next generation and make America proud.

January 31, 2013 at 3:46 am |
  28. Emile

I think that the main thing for teens is not having a trusted adult to talk to. They will handle the problems solo and the can cause injurys and maybe even death.

January 31, 2013 at 7:52 am |
  29. Lashell

Well you are right about teenagers getting confused, I think wat your doing is right so hope you do what is right.

January 31, 2013 at 8:02 am |
  30. Danovan

Teens shuold worry about there community,and worry about there education.

January 31, 2013 at 8:05 am |
  31. Jonathan

I think another problem for teenagers is gang violence.

January 31, 2013 at 8:07 am |
  32. Khaliyah

I think the most problem for teens is risky behaviors because some teens want to fit in with other people.

January 31, 2013 at 8:07 am |
  33. MALACHI

i think that these are the top issue for me because this happens to most teens face in there everyday lives.

January 31, 2013 at 8:12 am |
  34. Emily

I'd like to add something to the list lacking school work.

January 31, 2013 at 8:15 am |
  35. Aaron

I thnk that teenagers sould not have so many issues.

January 31, 2013 at 8:25 am |
  36. Kendall

Some of these issues do affect many young people, and are a big problem. I believe we should not be afraid to stand up for ourselves, but most importantly stand up for whats right.

January 31, 2013 at 8:37 am |
  37. Frans

A big issue of the school students is that they can't find a new school training. After the secondary school you need to choose a training what you liked. There so many different trainings. The other problem is that we need to make a dicision when we are 16 year old. This is a big issue of the students in the Netherlands

January 31, 2013 at 8:39 am |
  38. Justin

I think that for the most part the topics listed are the primary concerns for our age group's future. With assistance in these areas i believe that many more teens and young adults across the country will succeed in finding college and pursuing a well planned life.

January 31, 2013 at 9:08 am |
  39. Taylor

The big thing that is affecting things are the money issue and if they can get enough to go to collage with its high cost now. Not many people can afford it and the ones that can barely get by and end up with dept. from the loans.

January 31, 2013 at 9:14 am |
  40. ghandi

I think one of the most important issue of teenagers is love they get in to it and they start dating and boom a baby
    and they become teen moms

January 31, 2013 at 9:36 am |
    • ghandi

another issue is that they get in to alcohol and drugs

January 31, 2013 at 9:37 am |
  41. riley

My biggest issue for the future for kids and teens is the generation running the coutry leaving us trillions on dollars in debt for future generations to fix and deal with.

January 31, 2013 at 9:39 am |
  42. Chris

I think that the biggest issue with teens is lack of exersise. they get home, do homework and by then it's too late to play football, or basketball or something.

January 31, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  43. wendy

another issue is drunk driving for teens. some just don't understand. Another issue is bullying!

January 31, 2013 at 9:44 am |
  44. danny

I think the main problem with teens is that they think that they can do drugs and drink alcohol and that later leads to death.

January 31, 2013 at 9:45 am |
  45. Sam

i think that teens all over the world should be able to just go to collage and just sign a contract then pay a monthly fee for their dorm room and just learn if you go to a public collage so people dont have to pay a lot of money just to learn at least 4 year plus if they need to go to a extra school to learn

January 31, 2013 at 9:46 am |
  46. Caroline

Being ignored by there friends when they go out to party with there boyfriend or girlfriend. That makes most teens fill alone and get sad or depressed. Also most teens think there ugly, fat or weird and they feel scared around other people. Also, most teens spend to much time on there Phones and computers and not getting out and socializing with other people.

January 31, 2013 at 9:48 am |
  47. HANNAH

To me teens should follow there parents footsteps for a while and then follow there dreams and succeed

January 31, 2013 at 9:48 am |
  48. sierra

Teenagers have problems are that they have to face different challges each day in school and in public.

January 31, 2013 at 9:49 am |
  49. Linda

Teen pregnancy

January 31, 2013 at 9:50 am |
  50. Celia

Yes, these are the top issues. I don't have friends that have these issues but i have seen people with these issues.

January 31, 2013 at 9:51 am |
  51. Kelly

i think that the biggest issues for teenagers is dinking and drug abuse why i think that is important to a teenager because some teenagers dont know how bad drugs and drinking is to them or sometimes they have friends that make them do it and if they dont do iti they might bully them so make fun of them so there can be alot of issues in doing drugs and drinking

January 31, 2013 at 9:52 am |
  52. Anthony

I think the biggest issue is the fact that teens can not find money in general. What I am trying to say is finding money to buy a car. Finding a good paying job can be hard to get. So finding money can be a lot harder i do not think their parents want to pay $50,000 for a private college fund.

January 31, 2013 at 9:54 am |
  53. elyria

i think people need to stop playing vilonce video games beacause it can change their behavior at home,in school,or anywere.And i think that peope need to stop doing drugs beacause that can lead to very bad stuff to like getting into car aciddent,sexual abuse and getting angery with someone for no sudden reason.and if you want to find a job like to be a engeneer you should go get a aplication and fill it out . if you want to find money you have to get a job before you get money it just wont happen overnight you have to give it time llike me im ll years old i dont have that much money but i have money if you want money you have to get a job first just go out and look for a job now thats all for me bye cnn news.

January 31, 2013 at 9:56 am |
  54. braynka

I think people need to stop doing mean things a think before they do it when they are about to hrut people that did nothing to them for no reasing t think they should not be forgive for kill someone that did nothing to them.

January 31, 2013 at 9:58 am |
  55. Mr. Wash

My students identify with these issues. They also believe obesity is major issue for American youth.

January 31, 2013 at 10:12 am |
  56. Maddie

I think some other thing to add to the list are
    1. Self esteem issues caused by the media's Thin Ideal and Muscular Ideal. (Thin for girls, Muscular for boys).
    2. Bad behavior through being influenced or mentally ill ( such as owning a firearm and using it, starting a fire, etc.)
    3. Bullying
    4. Spending to much time txting and on websites like Facebook. People really need to have more F2F time with there BFFS. ICBW, but some people are just glued to the KB. Get real PPL. ( Translation : People really need to have more face to face time with there best friends. It could be worse, but some people are just glued to the keyboard. Get real, people.)
    5. Stress ( all kinds)

January 31, 2013 at 10:28 am |
  57. (david)

we need to find money for teens and adults need to watch them so they don't use drugs

January 31, 2013 at 10:31 am |
  58. paidyn

i think they should haave some ffor it

January 31, 2013 at 10:33 am |
  59. shawn

I think that they should not date or go to clubes

January 31, 2013 at 10:34 am |
  60. Samantha

I think that the top issues in teens are drinking and driving, and doing something wrong, go to jail for a few years, and not get a proper education and job.

January 31, 2013 at 10:34 am |
  61. corbin

I think that they should not date

January 31, 2013 at 10:36 am |
  62. Landon

The biggest problem is Risky behavior because a bunch of teens are drinking and smoking and i think thats wrong because their only like 15 and 16 and their drinking and smoking.

January 31, 2013 at 10:36 am |
  63. Sam

One of the top issues in teens to me are like not looking for a job or college, and then be stuck maybe not even go to college and get stuck with a job they hate.

January 31, 2013 at 10:36 am |
  64. destiny

the biggest issue's for teens is they don't go to collage because their friends pressure them to try drugs then they just get use to them and throw their life away and don't go to collage

January 31, 2013 at 10:37 am |
  65. paidyn

money for callage i think they should get some because not every one has a lot of money.

January 31, 2013 at 10:38 am |
  66. braston

risk of behavior because to many teens drink

January 31, 2013 at 10:38 am |
  67. Hunter

The top issue is youth violence because everyday at my school there is always fights and people don't like each other. And people kick and fight when it is reces.

January 31, 2013 at 10:39 am |
  68. Gaige

i think that one is being on time to school and going to school and not sluffing class

January 31, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  69. BAILEY

HOW WILL WORKING EFFECT ARE SCHOOLING

January 31, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  70. David

well teens will allwas do stupid thing.

January 31, 2013 at 10:42 am |
  71. Jessie

I think another issue that teenagers have is being able to tell people who they are whether they are gay, bi or lesbian because the don't want to be bulled or left out I see it a lot at my school.

January 31, 2013 at 10:42 am |
  72. KEL

I think that teens should be able to get money for COLLEGE for free from the bank because we need more jobs and more educated people to help out with certain issues that we have, and we need to cut down on teen violence by putting more security in schools right now.

January 31, 2013 at 10:45 am |
  73. Michael

i think that most of issues the nation has with teens is cheating on tests, druggs and alchole, and i wish that the nation would really do somthing

January 31, 2013 at 10:45 am |
  74. Dillon

I feel that the government should do something about the gun violence. I think that they should put more security for the children at schools to make them feel more secure and safe.

January 31, 2013 at 10:45 am |
  75. sarah

I think the biggest issue with teens is drugs. Maybe because of something they are dealing with somewhere and they think that drugs will help take it away.Or maybe they think it will be fun. or their friends have done drugs as well and they feel left out.

January 31, 2013 at 10:46 am |
  76. Hannah

The biggest issue for teens is that they play viloent video games and then do what they see in the video game in real life. ( some people) And they go to jail if they get caught and miss out on school. And teens pressure other teens to do bad things to try what they are doing. And some teens say they have to try something to be friends with the people who told that person to try that thing.

January 31, 2013 at 10:47 am |
  77. Geor'dan

I really enjoyed today's episode, especially Carl's interview with Trei Dudley from the Boys and Girls Clubs National Youth of the Year. I'm really happy that people are trying to make a difference and let our voice be heard. My friends and I are worried about are Youth Violence, Risky Behavior, and Obesity.

January 31, 2013 at 10:48 am |
  78. Lidia

I really enjoyed the interview with Carl and Trei Dudley,and yes these are some top issues for me and my friends.One thing i have to add to this list is obesity.So I am proud of the Boys and Girls Clubs National Youth of the Year.

January 31, 2013 at 10:50 am |
  79. Carmen

I really enjoy waching CNN Student News with carl azuz and trei dudley and this is my first time posting my first message.

January 31, 2013 at 10:53 am |
  80. Equallie

I agree this is some of are problems we have we need Trei Dudley program.She will concur this problem this way we will make a differents.

January 31, 2013 at 10:53 am |
  81. Jahninee

I really enjoyed Trei Dudley talking about children needs because there are alot of needs needed like disrespectness to elderlys alot of children does this to there elderlys in school outside of home and in home.

January 31, 2013 at 10:54 am |
  82. Jahninee

desrespectfulness

January 31, 2013 at 10:55 am |
  83. Jah-mir

I agree that these are three top issues for teens,but theres more.Like pier pressure or an internet threat from another person.There are pleanty of other bezare actions teens will do.

January 31, 2013 at 10:57 am |
  84. Niel

Yes risky behaviors is one of my freinds top issues.

January 31, 2013 at 10:58 am |
  85. Eric

I in joy your talk with Trei Dudley it was realy speacil to people and me.And it was good you where talk about the safe about teenages.The teenages are not lising to peple but some people are.

January 31, 2013 at 10:59 am |
  86. Angel

I enjoy this Carol about the Boys and Girls Club with Trei Dudley. I have learn alot of the Boys and Girls Club to do not do Riskey be haviors, like drinking or drug abuse and do not doYouth violence.

January 31, 2013 at 11:01 am |
  87. Sherrol

Now a days many youths are on the wrong train to adulthood.But I believe Trei Dudley can turn the way youngens think. I absolutely love they way she dedicates her time to help people. Since this is my first time sending a commment I hope you take this into porportion!!!

January 31, 2013 at 11:01 am |
  88. Jade

I agree with Trei. Young violence, risky behaviers, and no jobs after school are big issues, maybe not for me and my friends now because we're in middle school, but one day this will be our issue. It's never too late to start your plans for the future...

January 31, 2013 at 11:39 am |
  89. Sam

I think drugs is the biggest problem with teens.They think it might make them more popular and think it's fun.

January 31, 2013 at 11:42 am |
  90. jeanetta/jazmyn

what we think is teenagers should not do is not get in trouble and should go to college and get a good education

January 31, 2013 at 11:42 am |
  91. Annika and trevor

One is making it to class and not skipping class

January 31, 2013 at 11:43 am |
  92. Imani

They are facing homework and school.

January 31, 2013 at 11:43 am |
  93. devin

because they do drugs and drink bear.

January 31, 2013 at 11:44 am |
  94. luke

Teenagers go places that they are not sopposed go to..

January 31, 2013 at 11:47 am |
  95. shane

they should follow the rules

January 31, 2013 at 11:47 am |
  96. Brennen

The bad things that teenagers are facing that I would like to add to what they are facing is they trying drugs and then end up getting addicted and end up with a bad life.

January 31, 2013 at 11:48 am |
  97. Tessa

they should follow the rules

January 31, 2013 at 11:49 am |
  98. Derion

I think that teens should stop doing bad stuff that could get them in trouble.

January 31, 2013 at 11:55 am |
  99. Joana

I think teenagers are not to get money, get a job because hey think that there parents can pay for them. That can be wrong cause don't have to ask their parents for college. They need to get a job for money.

January 31, 2013 at 11:58 am |
  100. aaliyah

Yes this issue is for me and my friends because it is a little hard for us to find jobs when we get out of highschool,and we try to prevent from doing bad things when we get old enough to be on our on with no one there to really help us.

January 31, 2013 at 11:59 am |
  101. chris

...there are not alot of people geting shot than in chicogo. i do worrie becouse what if that was us so we need to stop the shooting.

January 31, 2013 at 11:59 am |
  102. Madison

I think that there is trouble finding money ,and finding jobs.Because most people cannot offord college or find jos in the future.

January 31, 2013 at 11:59 am |
  103. dakota

the thing is that ther are not good gang stoping cops and that is way teenager are ending up wth gun drugs beer

January 31, 2013 at 11:59 am |
  104. TJ

I really do think that teenagers are having a tough time trying to get by this but can't because their friends are pushing them to do the things they wouldn't do. The problems are not bad for me but it is probally bad to other teenagers that are having that kind of a problem.

January 31, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
  105. Sam

I think that here has the biggest problem is youth violence. There are fight going on constantly. Drug abuse is a big one too. Kids somehow get a hold of drugs somehow and they do it for fun so they can be all "cool" even its completely stupid.

January 31, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
  106. Nestor

[Here] there is'nt as much murders like the big cities.

January 31, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
  107. Cassey

I do worry about it. I worry the most about not finding a way to get money for college.

January 31, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
  108. Dallin

i think that here youth violence is not a big problem. But drug abuse is big here lots of kids at my school take drugs. Also i'm a little woried about finding a job and having money for college because of the economy it's really bad now.

January 31, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
  109. joey

Hi I live in nampa and the only one of those we really have a problem with is drug and alcihol abuse for example the first day I came too school here some one asked me if i smoked pot.

January 31, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
  110. oscar

I live in the state of Idaho and I think there is no violence here but i do wory about getting money because sometimes its hard to get a job.

January 31, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
  111. Bradon

Getting Collage money I do worry about. Ill have to get a job and need suport from family. Instead of supporting my self for all my college years. Other than that I dont worry about anyother topics..

January 31, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
  112. Estrella

Yes.I think that this is an issue because some students may be immagrants. an dthey cant get a good job. And money is short for some families becasue maybe thier parents dont have a good job or something. Sometimes behaivor is based on how the students are treated at school or at home. If they are being abused or something then that may cause the behaivor.

January 31, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
  113. Breanna

I worry about it alot. Like whats gonna be my first job and how much money am I gonna get an hour and what if I dont get a scolorship then how am I gonna pay for college, what if I dont make good dicisions? I always think about those things.

January 31, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
  114. Jenika

I dont really think about anything above. Besides not being able to find money for college. I think how am i gonna get in, what if i dont get the money.

January 31, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
  115. johnathan

I think the top issues for teenagers is they get so tied of everthing and try to look big and bad and don't care about their grades and just care about their rep. Teenagers should tink more about were they are going to work and live.

January 31, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
  116. Krysta

I agree with all those topics, especially risky behaviors, like drinking or drug abuse. A lot of little kids are now doing drugs or drinking, because they see other people doing it and it influences them to, also because they think it makes them look "cool".

January 31, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
  117. sintia

I think a lot of kids worry about these issues and worry they might not get any help with the isssues that they worry about. I worry that i might not find a job after collage because you dont know what the future holds.

January 31, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
  118. Nelly

Not enough money for college, drugs,drinking,violence.Teenagers that don't have self esteem or their going through a bad time do that.But teenagers that don't hve enough money they could start at the boys and girls club are start working and earn some money.

January 31, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
  119. Allison

Many people dont start worrying about what there going to do after college until they're in college. Many highschoolers wonder how they're going to pay for college, or gettiing a scholarship, and even what college to go to. They also worry about if their going to be able to get another job after highschool and this worries me too. When many people go to college they go to a differnet state or different city and dont know where to work to pay for college.n What i'm really worried about is not being able to work because im too busy studing and doing school work. Also many teenagers are getting involved with drugs and alcohol. I worry about this and think that it should be observed more. With the use of drugs or alcohol, teens can get into alot of trouble and not be able to go the college of their choice, or be able to find a good, well paying job.

January 31, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
  120. Dallin

I worry about money for college because I think that find it that if a student does not have support form others then they are stressed about finding the money to go to college.A job is also a problem for those who have no idea where to start.
    The violence issue's impact depends on where you live becfause we don't really have a fear of it. Drug abuse has always been a problem.

January 31, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
  121. Austin

I agree with all top 4 proplems and i worry about all 4 proplems and gun vilents asap. I worry the most getting money for college

January 31, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
  122. Keannen

I agree with all those ploplems and we need to put a stop to gun vilens because in chicago their was 37 people shot and 11 more stabe on a tuseday night.

January 31, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
  123. nathan

Finding money for college can be hard in Idaho i im scared it is hard to find a job to pay for college and after college you not garited a job.

January 31, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
  124. Destiny

I think that all of those things are true exept for youth violence because in Nampa we don't have a lot of violence. For the other reasons I do agree because I have thought of how I am going to get money for college or not being able to find a job after high school. I would love to go to college and I plan on it and having a job. I also think the drug and alcohol use is something that does happen often that we should stop it. I do worry and think about all of these things.

January 31, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
  125. Noelle

I think that these issues are important to teenagers. Some of them depend on where you live. If you live in a place where youth violence is not a problem then it wouldn't be as important to you as a different matter. In Nampa, Idaho we don't have this problem. I think about how i am going to get a job and get money to go to college more than i do youth violence, and risky behaviors.

January 31, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
  126. lucy

I think the biggest think is finding money for college because college is very expensive and some kids dont have a lot of money for college.

January 31, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
  127. Alejandra

I agree with all of the topics.

January 31, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
  128. Jamie

I agree with these issues, another issue is bullying. People tell others they won't amount to anything, so they lose their drive to do their best. This economy is making it almost impossible for High School and College students to find jobs. So as an effect of that, less people are going to college and furthering their educations. I think there needs to be more preperation for college, including how to fill out forms, and write addmissions essays. Also, how to fill out for grants. This generation is our future. Let's make it great. I believe if we all worl together on this, we can get more teenagers and young adults going to college.

January 31, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
  129. Amber

Teenage Violence is a major issue. I think that some major causes of teenage violence are family abuse,.bullying and even violent video games. Some teenagers don't have any personal rules set. So they just think that they can just do anything that they want. And then later on in life they end up being violent towards others in the world.
    But bullying is the number one key reason.

January 31, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
  130. Chase

Teen pregnacy and other sex consequences

January 31, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
  131. Anonymous

I think that an issue is not only physical violence but emotional violence and internet violence a lot of kids not only get hurt physically by others but emotionally also. Cyber Bullying is a big thing and people are constantly making fun of or teasing others and the victim can be hurt because a lot of times words do hurt.

January 31, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
  132. giibii

I think that she should get a job to rise some money,also if she can't find a job her mom and dad should help her find one.

January 31, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
  133. Ruth

if we need money for college then we should get a job when its summer to rise some money but if we can't find a job our parents should help us find a job and see if we agree with what job they choose and you choose.

January 31, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
  134. ricardo

hi Carl Azuz in college some people not have money from college becusesome people have money from

January 31, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
  135. antonio

January 31, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
  136. Arnold

i think teens should not take on drugs or anything alcholic.

January 31, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
  137. Cooper

I think that they should go to boys and girls club

January 31, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
  138. Rahma

I would add to the list teenagers might not have good enough scores to graduate.

January 31, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
  139. Chiok

Its sad that some teenagers cant afford a scholorship for the future

January 31, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
  140. William

If kids don't want cameras that means that there going to do something suspicous because they don't want to be spied on.

January 31, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
  141. Daniel

When trying to find a job i would find the best paying job and stay away from people how use violence.

January 31, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
  142. Laura

I think that people should save money to afford colleges

January 31, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
  143. Hussain

In My Opinion I Think That Teenagers When They Get Out Of High School They Should Go to collage So They Learn How to Care Of Themself Without There Parents. I also Think That Teenagers Dont DO DURGS Because That Will That Make Thier Brain Weak Such As Not Learn. And Thats My Opinions Really!

January 31, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
  144. Andre

I think an issue for teens is bying guns everywhere.

January 31, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
  145. anastasia

something that is important issue for teens is youth violence because no one deserves to get hurt.

January 31, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
  146. Michelle

I Have seen lots of violence but i think we can setle it by loving not hating or not using violece back.

January 31, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
  147. dajon

its sad because seeing all the houses buern down people geting hert the teen should not do drugs or smok

January 31, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
  148. ShaDiamond

I thimk the the issuisses are that teenagers are causing suside on each other because of bulling soo stop bulling

January 31, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
  149. risa

some people don't have enough money for thier children in collage

January 31, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
  150. Nissi

i thnk the top issue for teenagers is that they are making suicide and that they are tryimg new things like drugs and alcohol.

January 31, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
  151. Ahlani

I think the top issuses for teenagers today is peer-pressure and the fact that some teenagers are subjecting themselves to the use of drugs and illegal substances. Another delicate subject is how teens will be able to pay for college fundings, knowing how the ecomony is now.

January 31, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
  152. Aamir

Yes, These are some issues about what is going on in America. The most important thing I think should not happen in the world is youth violence, drug use, and risky behavior.The one thing I wanting to know my whole life is that why are people just going out killing people.

January 31, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
  153. Logan

to go to colige and have a good gob.

January 31, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  154. Sibin

I think it's a good idea for people who have issues like correcting behaviors.

January 31, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  155. Dayana

Dear Carl,
    I think it was just for adding in the list because some people are not like ;however, some people do that for no reason.

January 31, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  156. Andrea

Carl todays show was really great. I loved how you had a member from the Boys and Girls Club there. Sometimes teens just make wrong mistakes because of stress and there might be things going on at home. So far there has not been any problams going on. Here is something I would like to add to the list child abuse alot of parents are not treating there kids right and are not caring for them.

January 31, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
  157. Alenz

In my opinion drugs and violence is a big thing! Education is more important than going to parties or getting drunk and high.Teens should be able to control their actions and the way they act to keep themselves and others safe from harm. One way i think people can fix this is if parents talk to their teens about their problems and things that are not right. It will cause the teen hopefully to think twice about their actions and turn over a new leaf. This will also make a better relation and understanding with your mom or dad or whoever who talks to you! I think this is a big part of our life because this can ruin us and we want a great, bright future. This is my opinion and i understand if you disagree.

January 31, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
  158. Jefra

I think it is great that you let a young person to go and talk about the issues, like to find money for college,a job after school and the violence.Ithink that we should all try to atleast help others with whats going on.

January 31, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  159. Icyss

Hi carl i just want to say that i feel bad that the girl got shot in the head and she is steel alive and it is great that she steel want to help people with trouble.

January 31, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
  160. Imane

What i think is that people should not use any violence. Teenagers need to find the right jobs so they could get the right amount of money for college. I think that it was the right choice of letting the girl speak on Cnn Student News she changed my life and i hope that her speech changed other peoples lifes.

January 31, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
  161. Dustin

I thick that they should not be able to have drugs. parents should start checking there teenagers because the majority of teenagers are out there smoking, do drugs and dieing. to me its there stupidty. but parents should do something about it

January 31, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
  162. Dustin

college is a big step for every body and drugs is another. drugs are stupid and they shouldn't have been invented. kids this is to all of u stop smoking and get a life its stupid and why sit around and smoke when you could have a job and have a good education. its better to have a good job then be known for a smoker and a theif so stop its dumb and retarted.so go out and get a job and just say no

January 31, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
  163.  hailey

things teenagers have to worry about is saving money for college and there parents doing drugs.

January 31, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
  164. Chase

what they talk abut

January 31, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
  165. Chase

what they talk abut people.

January 31, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
  166. Charity and Thane

Yes I would put those under the catogory of some of problems with some of my friends and I would also add bullying to some of the problems that teens and my friends have i try to help them as mutch as i can but they are addicted to it but not all of my friends have this problem. :)

January 31, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
  167. Marcelino

the issue is if there selling drugs or maybe there even doing drugs

January 31, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
  168. Olivia and tyler

I think things teenagers are faced with are drinking and driving,texting and driving,geting money for colledge,and drugs and alcohol abuse.")

January 31, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
  169. Jillian

I think the problem is bullying and hurting people.

January 31, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
  170. Jayden and Brady

That is not the only four reasons I know one more when students don't have activities to do they start doing drugs and drinking while driving and other bad stuff.

January 31, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
  171. DAYSHAYA/BRIANNA

it i is wrong i would not text and drive and smock pot or drink and they are killing there body's when they do that evey day they do that stuf.

January 31, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
  172. TJ

I think that smoking and drinking should be band from the state's.

January 31, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
  173. Joel

The top issue that teens face today are (indirect) bullying because it is pointless hate.

January 31, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
  174. Erin

The new immagration laws are almost telling people that it was ok for them to enter the country illegaly. I enjoy them wanting to be part of our country but please do it legally.

January 31, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
  175. Paige

I mean I am not looking for a college, or a job but I know some people that are, and they say that it's hard and unfair....they are complaining and I have found it very interesting. I personally think there should be a fund in schools for kids that are going into college. What has our world turned into...everything on price is being risen. Now that have to raise it on colleges and jobs. No wonder we see people without jobs and no education.

January 31, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
  176. selena

this is cool but are you sure this works? My I suggest talking to mothers, fathers, stepparents, guardians, aunts,uncles, and grandparents to to talk about this stuff.

January 31, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
  177. Molly

I'm 12 so at this point my parents are still in charge of that kind of stuff, but i think as long as you can get a good job and make good choices you don't have to worry about money or drugs. I've learned that kids my age worry about the little things like did i get a piece of candy in my lunch? Who cares! i admire her for thinking ahead, but we need to be kids no kid should have to worry about this kind of thing.

January 31, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
  178. Jenniyah

I am concerned . I am because I believe everyone should get a job and is able to get money.I am also concerned because teens are losing their life because of smoking and drinking.

January 31, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
  179. Liza

I think that one of the top teen issues for teens is peer pressure. Friends sometimes try to get you to do things you don't really want to do, which could lead to another top teen issue: risky behavior like using drugs or smoking.

January 31, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
  180. NICK

These all are important to me! I thinke School Safety because of YOUTH VIOLENCE and Teen pregancy are on my list.

January 31, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
  181. Becca

These are definitely the biggest issues teenagers face. It is hard to get money for college when it is hard to find a job. Also, it is hard to see many others hurting themselves and others with risky behaviors like drinking and drug abuse.

January 31, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
  182. Kenneth

I belive that getting their high school diploma because a lot of students drop out of school because of the challange

January 31, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
  183. Sue

I absolutely agree about youth violence. We really should something to stop those sex violence or school violence in order to make students more happy.

January 31, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
  184. Aniya

I love what she is doing to make this world a better place. I also certainly agree about the youth violence thing too.

January 31, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
  185. zebra

i think that this issue can be fixed if we all work together to form a better enviorment for them.the only reasons the way they are is because us, the perants and failure to provide

January 31, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
  186. Lydia

It's hard being a teenager and having to turn down drugs or alcohol when it seems like everyone else is doing it. It's easy to fall under peer pressure in some situations. If everyone else is doing it and there in honors classes how bad can it be?

January 31, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
  187. Sarah

My friends and I are in middle school and I personally think that a problem some of us are facing is bullying. Many kids are getting bullied just because who their friends are, how do they dress, your opinion on a certain topic, and some other simple stuff that don't deserve so much attention. So I think a big problem for kids almost all ages is bullying.

January 31, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
  188. nathaniel

i think teens shoudnt abuse drugs

January 31, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
  189. aleeyah

well, i am not in high school yet so i cant answer that properly. but i think that kids all ages (even highschoolers) have the problem of bullying and that is a serious issue that needs to be stopped.

January 31, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
  190. Jane

Personally, I think that the most important issue regarding teens these days is youth violence. From personal experience living in a "ghetto" neighborhood, I know that bad things happem. Even before the age of 9, I could comprehend the violence, and that I was never to go outside, to the front yard to play, or even just walk around, unless a parent was watching. A man slammed against a brick wall in front of my house, while getting arrested tainted my six year old eyes, and I have fully reconginized the dangers of geting involved in gangs since that age. I think that if you ever get involved in gangs, or any type of violence it can ruin your entire life. Reading the back of the Dave's Bread package opened my eyes to how hard it can be to get a job, and be accepted into society after getting arrested, and I believe that teens are just as capable as being violent and commiting murder etc. as adults are. That is why I think that teen violence is the most important issue for young adults today.

January 31, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • Jane

Good comment!

January 31, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
  191. J.J.

I agree many students don't have a lot of money to be able to pay to get in to college. Also jobs and if adults that have a college degree and can't get a job how do expect a teen to get one.

January 31, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
  192. McKenzie

I think these are all very important topics that need to be addressed, and bullying also needs to be addressed.

January 31, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
  193. Jaquelin

I agree, that a big issue is not finding a job after high school, because many jobs require some collage experience

January 31, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
  194. emma

I am not doing any of doing any of those bad things, but I know for a fact that those are some major issues and i believe that they should stop.

January 31, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
  195. Maggie

So far, what I've heard from my friends and family, finding a job after high school is very stressful. I guess its the interview and the papers. Getting money for college is also a problem the kids have. Some never get the chance to see their true future in adulthood.

January 31, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
  196. Alejandro

i think that risky behaiviors is bad becaus if you drink to much, your brain is full of bad things, and sometimes you wouldnt get any jobs

January 31, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
  197. J.J.

I do want to make a point that drugs is the wrong way to go especially at school and don't let others to influence you to do drugs.

January 31, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
  198. jay

Well, i think think that every high schooler has a chance to get a scholarship to a job,if they try hard enough, but most get in trouble by other things>

January 31, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
  199. mel

For me the most important thing is violence. Like what happened in Sandy hook it's important to watch for violence and do something about the gun control that's most important.

January 31, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
  200. River

I feel that with all the activities I like to say I would say being able to maintain activities like marching band and get my work done. There is also the problems of peer pressure because most people when someone is giving a presentation will snicker and point out mistakes and constantly talking. Also it's just the intial pressure of high school because it's a whole new ball game, it feels like middle school didn't even prepair me for what I have expirenced this year so far. So many of us kids are pushing themselves so hard to pass and sooner or later our bodies will just start glitching from all the strain on our brains.

January 31, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
  201. Aaminah

Personally, I feel college is the top issue. Some students may be brilliant but if they cannot enter college...it may never be recognized.

January 31, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
  202. Abbye

I believe peer pressure is a problem for teens. Those teens that do drugs and drink are usually pushed into it by their friends.They think they look cool and will hang with the crowd if they do what they are dared to do. I think this is an issue that many teenagers deal with.

January 31, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
  203. DEBBIE

BEING A TEENAGER I THINK THAT TRING TO MAKE YOUR SELF LOOK GOOD AND BE POPULAR IS A BIG THING IN SCHOOLS AROUND THE GLOBE AND THAT ISNT RIGHT! ALSO TRYING TO GET BOYFRIENDS AND GIRLFRIENDS IN SIXTH GRADE IS OUTRAGES!

January 31, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
  204. Elizabeth

While I agree whole-heartedly with the top issues, I would add two more issues that are always on my mind: Gun control and the Constitution. I am pro-gun and the arguments going on in D.C. that threaten the right to bear arms has me scared that I won't be allowed to own a gun for my protection within the next few years. The lawmakers in D.C. have me thinking about the Constitution as well and whether or not they are for or against the document. I feel as if the Constitution has become more of a background object that is more-often-than-not ignored by our lawmakers, something that has me extreamly concerned.

January 31, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
  205. Aya

I think childhood obesity, and bad education systems should be the top concern. I live in Texas, which spends the 48th most on education.

January 31, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
  206. Sydney

I think that, yes, those top three issues for teens are very common, but so is peer pressure. Just from this, you can have drug abuse, illegal activities, who knows what else? What are your opinions?

January 31, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
  207. Mackenzie

Coincidently, today is the day that I begun to feel the stress of money. Certain classes in my public school, cost fee's such as $120.00. Although this is not an enormous amount; when added to University, prom dresses, graduation, graduation trips and applications-the stress is palpable. There isn't enough money or scholarships to ensure that I will graduate from University without $50,000-$100,000 worth of debt. My parents are middle-class and while it is being reported that Romney spent more then 1 billion dollars on his 2012 Election Campaign, the idea of $15,000 a year for an education is horrifying. This coincides with jobs. Perhaps I pursue a degree in political science, that the government has encouraged me to pursue. What happens when I do not have a job but am drowning in student debt. What if I am not cut out to be an engineer or doctor? And lastly the youth violence rate in my small town, increases day by day. It usually begins on facebook and then escalates to actual violence either on school grounds or in a parking lot. The source of this violence is conjured by jealousy or hate, and almost always results in someone being shot in my town. It has become acceptable for kids to kill kids, punching a teacher is common and the simple act of living a life of your own is scrutinized by peers and that can later conjure into violence- like we saw at the Columbine shooting.

January 31, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
  208. Marissa

I think that all of these issues are extremely important and I know a lot of teens agree with them. However, they are not exactly national issues and while that is the problem Boys and Girls Club of America is trying to fix, I know teens are also worried about Gun Control and National Debt because these are the things that could effect our lives one day soon.

January 31, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
  209. Landry

The top issues for teenagers are: sex, love, and drugs

January 31, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
  210. Chris

Youth violence is the biggest concen among students and teachers. Even in Korea, there are so-called "Bread shuttles" who shuttle breads to bullies.

January 31, 2013 at 11:51 pm |
  211. Poli

The worst thing that could happen that always gets on my nerves is when people laugh at others because of what they said, or call other people names because of what they did. It happened to me 2 days ago.

February 1, 2013 at 12:17 am |
  212. isiah

about not finding money for college

February 1, 2013 at 11:08 am |
  213. Keaten

what i am concerned in school is kids bullying in school. Kids who are friends with each other are going behind their back.

February 1, 2013 at 11:09 am |
  214. jozev

one issue on your list i'm concerned with is youth violence but risky behavior like smoking and drinking is one of them because the yuoth of today think smoking is cool but its not its just straight up bad

February 1, 2013 at 11:09 am |
  215. Elly

I'am not really not finding a job after high school...also I can just borrow the money I need for collage and work for the other money

February 1, 2013 at 11:10 am |
  216. Mikal

My main issue in school is bulling in between classes and during lunch.

February 1, 2013 at 11:10 am |
  217. Edmund

I think she did what she have to do on Gaterat and that thing in the Gaterat drinks

February 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
  218. Superyan

I think finding a job for a teenager might be pretty easy I mean I'm 11 and I have a job.

February 1, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
  219. Isabella

i think that if kids need to go to collage they should be able to atened

February 1, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
  220. Sasha

I think that DPS should provide enough money for the teens that don`t.

February 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
  221. Trini

The top issue with teenagers is that too many of them smoke weed,and drink a lot. The number one thing that really bothers me is the drugs.So all of the teenagers out there stop all of the things that can hurt you and your loved ones.

February 1, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
  222. Osama

I think that education is a primary concern for teens of today.

February 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
  223. Mae

The worst isue for my friends is cell phones. They never seem to put down them. They are always looking for a chance to pull them out.

February 2, 2013 at 8:08 pm |