January 21st, 2013

Second-Term Expectations

Following the swearing-in, the ceremony and the speech, the second term in office has officially begun for President Obama.  Some of the challenges of his first term remain, and some of the issues the president is promising to address include immigration, the economy, gun control, and the implementation of his health care reform plan.

What are your expectations for President Obama's second term in office?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Bailey

President Obama has to step up his game! His last 4years haven't been that good for him and for America with the shootings, and illigal immigration, and his health care plan... He needs to work twice as hard to get America back on track and out of the pit its in. And with the debt soaring above his head he has a lot of pressure on him to fix what he has done. If I was in his shoes I would be so scared and nervous! He really needs to step up his game and work hard to get America back to normal.

January 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
    • CJ

I agree he has to step up his game. America is depending on him!!!!!

January 22, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • Maddie

I agree, Bailey. Step up to the plate Obama! Make us independent and powerful again!

January 22, 2013 at 10:50 am |
    • Marisa

i definatley agree!people voted fo him in his first term and it was horrible then and now people voted him right back in to a second term.i really dont see why america loves him so much.

January 23, 2013 at 8:29 am |
  2. Kevin

I think President Obama should help take care of the fiscal cliff (faster) so that there won't be any great depressions.
    He should help the United States economy :)

January 21, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
  3. Michaela

The President needs to work harder. Yes, the unemployment rate may have decreased. But don't forget who's responsible for it going up in the first place. America is in debt that is at an unbelievable high and it hasn't been getting better. Along with the illegal immigration, gun control, and his health care plan, he has alot of work to do if he intends to fix the mistakes he caused in his first term of office.

January 21, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
  4. JinHui

As the people expect, I'm also looking for the solution of gun problem that will save many people. On the other hand, nowadays Korea-Japan-China's leader have all changed and as a Korean, I am wondering how will he do with new leaders. The relationship between Asian countries and America was always important.

January 21, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
  5. Antonio

President Obama needs to realize what it is truly like for a typical middle class citizen of America. As it is now with his plans for the future, it will become increasingly difficult to keep up with the costs of owning a home, college tuition and gas. He needs to fully understand the effects of what his plans will do to all citizens and small businesses in the long run.

Within the next 4 years, I hope to see the government cut spending, lower our national debt and lower taxes on middle class families. I hope to see a more stable economy and a more united nation rather than a nation that is divided on political and social issues. I'd love to see the unemployment rate decrease over the next 4 years. I would also like to see more compromise within Congress and less division...that way, more things can get done and America can get back on track.

January 21, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
  6. Mya

I believe Obama will help the economy a little, but I don't think much will change. If you can't do it in four years, how will having four more help?

January 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm |
  7. Staci

I think President Obama should continue working on health care reform, rights for immigrants, and education reform.

January 21, 2013 at 9:53 pm |
  8. Michael

I agree the President Obama needs to find ways to fix the economy and shootings. However, his health care plan will help people not hurt people and he has made serious gains with illegal immigration with the Dream Act. He also has made efforts to stimulate the economy, but he has not been able to do what he has wanted because of the ultra conservatives in the Republican Party.

January 22, 2013 at 1:28 am |
    • John

The Dream Act didn't even make it through Congress. If you are referring to making gains with the Democratic base. Then yes. But there has not been any tangible legislation that has come out of Washington yet...

January 22, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
    • Philip

This is a government with checks and balances. If there were no Republicians in the House of Representatives, we would have a government ruled completely by one part, which history has proven to have very bad effects.

January 22, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
      • Philip

Party*

January 22, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
  9. Angel

President Obama has to work twice as hard as before.The past four years weren't so good in America and he is expected to do better this year.Of course he was always good but now he has to try hard.With all the debts,immigration,health care and shooting,I think he has a lot of work than his last term.

January 22, 2013 at 3:37 am |
  10. Riya

I agree with bailey. His inspiring speeches mean nothing if he doesn't take action.

January 22, 2013 at 6:27 am |
  11. Sarai

I think that President Obama should work on the citizens and how to help them so people won't be in debt or be homeless.

January 22, 2013 at 10:35 am |
  12. Maddie

I hope to see more laws against shootings and President Obama making it easy to get mental health care and hard to get a gun, so we don't have a repeat of Sandy Hook. I also hope that the President will do more about littering and illegal hunting and poaching. I HATE seeing fashions made out of animals pelts. It's sick and just plain wrong. I also hope that people will stop buying exotic animals for pets. Wild animals should remain wild. I also want to see that we lower our debt and stop depending on countries like China for the things we need. We were once a powerful country. I want it to be powerful again.

January 22, 2013 at 10:48 am |
  13. Jeremy

First Thing Is First The fiscal cliff because if that's not taken care of we might go into another Great Depression D:

January 22, 2013 at 11:00 am |
    • Maddie

Yeah, I don't want to find out what that would be like. Just thinking about it is scary enough. Great Depressions are horrible. Just ask my Great Grandma, she was a little girl during the Depression

January 23, 2013 at 10:02 am |
  14. Mycah

I expect for Obama to address the promblems in a way that doesn't effect the people that did nothing just so those who commit crimes can continue to break laws.

January 22, 2013 at 11:26 am |
  15. Joe

I believe he has the work of two, and picking up the pieces from the last 8 years; he can do it. There is not a single President that could have made this all better in a single term.

January 22, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  16. Nathaniel

I think that the president needs to understand how all of the people of America feel to have a better second term. He needs to look at the big picture, not the small one

January 22, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
  17. Leila

I think the main thing he needs to focus on this year is gun control.

January 22, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
  18. John

Obama needs to make sure the United States doesn't default by raising the debt ceiling. So here's the list: Immigration reform (Dream Act didn't make it through Congress), Gun Control, and the Debt Ceiling (coming up in the next couple of months

January 22, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • Maddie

I agree with your ideas.

January 23, 2013 at 10:04 am |
  19. Mak

I think he should makes new gun laws, especially after what happened to those poor children and teachers.

January 22, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
  20. NICK

WE NEED WHAT HES PROMISING! This has been a tough year on america. Espically with shootings we need stricter gun laws. We need to stop ILLEGAL immiration with tighter border control. WE need to help the people who CANT work not the lazy. Also we need beter health care plans.

January 22, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
  21. Shaeleigh

President Obama needs to stay on tract. If he goofs off, people would lose jobs, fall off the fiscal cliff, and/or lose money.

January 22, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
  22. Lance

I expect that Mr. President step up his game on the gun control issues, he hasn't done much about that yet and if I were him I would be doing that first.

January 22, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
  23. Hannah

My expectations of Obama's second term is for him to improve on how safe he wants his country to really be .

January 22, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
  24. Philip

Obama really needs to focus on the economy and the national debt these next four years, and not draining the already-empty pockets of the government.

January 22, 2013 at 8:46 pm |
  25. Hiroki

I want Obama to focus on improving high unemployment rate. It's important not only increase the number of employees but also the quality of the working environment.

January 23, 2013 at 2:19 am |
  26. Phoebe

Obama needs to realize how much debt our country is in! If he keeps spending money to help kids and schools, the kids will have to repay that money for the rest of their life–so it wouldn't be helping them in the end. Obama should not be cutting military and NASA, he should be cutting health care. It is getting way over-expensive! President Obama is going to have a huge challenge to put our country back together in his second term–we should not be divided by politics.

January 23, 2013 at 8:10 am |
  27. Chris

I think Obama
    is doing the best he can with the situation he was given with from the former president.. So step back and let him do his job

January 23, 2013 at 9:07 am |
  28. Kelly

i dont think taking away violent video games will change a kid on what they do unless it someone that always play day and night and has problems but taking it away is not going to help anything because the games have nothin to do with they should just let adults play not kids under age play violent games

January 23, 2013 at 9:18 am |
  29. Erika

I think that playing violent video games could be part of the problem. Kids around the age of 5 should not be playing games like that, because if they play it so much they might think it would be okay to do the things that they see on the television or that they are playing. I think that the teacher in Florida had a great idea, and other schools should try it too.

January 23, 2013 at 10:24 am |