.
December 20th, 2012

Best Gift to Give

'Tis the season of giving, and we at CNN Student News are interested in what you think is the best gift to give.  It could be something as simple as baking cookies for someone - or it could be something more complicated, like a pony.

Whatever your ideal gift to give - or get - may be, we hope you'll share it on our blog.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Katie

Love. i think the best present to give is Love. weather it's your dad coming home from Iraq and you get to see him or simply giving you mom a hug.Love is a gift no one would think this is for a boy or this is for a girl because it's something everyone has or would want more of.

December 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Blake

I agree

December 24, 2012 at 1:18 am |
    • angelique

Katie, i think you're absolutely right. love is the best present ever! love is something you cant throw away, or something you can wrap up. you can only share it with others and keep some for you rself

December 26, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
      • Katie

thank-you angelique and i llike your name!

January 3, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • Zach

Love is always the best gift to give...

January 3, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
  2. Joy

The best gift to give is love during the seasons!! Wjen people need your the most! Helping each other out during the holidays

December 20, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  3. Kaitlin

I think the best gift to give or get is quality time with your family. Everyone loves their family. It's the best gift of all, love. That's what Christmas is all about to me.

December 20, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
  4. Cole

In my opinion, the best gift comes from the heart. A couple of years ago my sibling arranged a bag of things I liked. It wasn't expensive and didn't come from a list, but that didn't matter. It was the best because they put effort into it for me. After all, its the thought that counts.

December 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
  5. Poli

I think the best is to give....but what? I always give cards, but the best is that of when you tell someone that they really matter, that they mean alot to you. when someone tells you that, their hearts start glowing and a billion dollor gift wont match this

December 20, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  6. Brooke

The best thing is just being with your family for christmas. There is nothing to get, there is alot of things to give for christmas. Give stuff to people that don't have anything and give them something to love about this holiday season.

December 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
  7. Zoua

I think the best gift to give someone is a gift of memory. A lot of things happen quick and so I think it would be a valuable gift. (:

December 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
  8. Jarod

If you love any of your family members, you could just give a hug to them. A hug can show how much you love them.

December 20, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Efrain

I think something simple is okay but sometimes the majority of people expect bigger things.

December 20, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
  10. Cole

I think that the best gift comes from the heart. A good gift doesn't have to be expensive or come off a list. A legitimate good gift is something you put time and effort into to make someone happy.

December 20, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Ricky

I think a New iPad with a Retnia Display is a really good gift. it is a good device for playing games, watching movies, and reading books. I have one and it is really cool!

December 20, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
  12. Hunter

I think the best gift to give is the feeling of being loved. This in my opinion would be way better than a basket full of candy or a new bike because it covers a feeling that is great to have!

December 21, 2012 at 7:53 am |
  13. Ms. Danta-Skager's Class

Books are always welcome gifts. Whether in electronic, paper, or audio form, books are your window to a sometimes difficult and confusing world. Books can also be an encouraging source of knowledge. Give everybody a hug for Christmas. Do something selfless for as many people as you can. The best gifts come from the heart. Peace out.

December 21, 2012 at 9:25 am |
  14. Phoebe

The best gift to give is something that helps all, doesn't take away from anyone except the ones who want to give it.

December 21, 2012 at 9:28 am |
  15. Lily

The best gift to give is love and to be with family.

December 21, 2012 at 9:43 am |
  16. Ashleigh

i think the best christmas present is the faith of love that the family comes together. and having people to support you.

December 21, 2012 at 11:36 am |
  17. Kennedy School

Donating to the needy is a great gift during the holidays. Volunteering is also a great way to give back– especially if you have no money.

December 21, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  18. Brynn

I think that the best to give is happiness and joy and you could give some cookies to santa and give carrots to the reindeer...........the reindeer like carrots.

December 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  19. Regan

the best gift is not a store boughten gift it's a gift for love, kindness, and faith.

December 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  20. Allison

The best gift to give is love to one and an other or homemade gifts.It always doesn't need to be bought.

December 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  21. Brynn

I think that the best to give is happiness and joy and you could give some cookies to santa and give carrots to the reindeer.

December 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  22. makayla

I think that the best gift to give is love and greatfulness

December 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Jahnavi

Also agreeable in my state and opinion. I also have been a small victim of Sandy however only a minor part of my house was damaged which was fixed immediately.

December 28, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
  23. Regan

The best gifts are not a bought.

December 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
  24. Jacy

Well, first of all my family is a family of four children. So we wish for a couple of big gifts then our parents pick a gift.
    This year I whished for a Ipod. My fingers are crossed just in case i don't get it!!!!!

December 21, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
  25. Katelyn

i think that baking or even opening the door to someone that has been having a bad year could even make their day

December 21, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
  26. tanner

I think the best thing to give to sombody is lots of love and goodies to fill their hearts up of joy

December 21, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Jahnavi

I also agree with you because love and warmth may give people something to be happy about and not be sad or lonely about the disasters that have happened.

December 28, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  27. Ethan

I think the best gift to give is money to charity or a foundation to help other people and know that its for a great cause.

December 21, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
  28. Ann's class

a car, TV, X-Box Connect, cup, gift cards, and a mermaid

December 21, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  29. Samantha

I think money is the best gift to give because then they can buy what ever they want with it.

December 21, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  30. Ania

The best gift to give – for me this year – is to invite my homeless father into my house for this christmas... in spite of all bad things he did to my family years ago...

December 21, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  31. Kylie

I think the best gift to give is a family. You know that there is a lot of people that died with everything that happened over the past year but you have to just stop and think "maybe i do have more than someone else does." Just make yourself feel loved. You have to understand that you do have a family and some kids don't. So just be happy with what you have and just remember some kids don't have one.

December 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
  32. Natalie

I think the best gift is our parents' love because they care about us and it made us live to this far.
    I ♡ U, MOM AND DAD!!!!!

December 21, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
  33. Jahnavi

I think a holiday carol would brighten people's days. For instance, 'Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer' is a very popular carol that neighbors would sing to their friends. My best friend always sings 'Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer' and it makes everybody forget about their stress and join in with the caroling. Not only does it relieve stress, but it also makes people think more of their holiday gifts than the stress and bad "karma" that happened to them.

December 21, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
  34. Christine

I think money would be the best gift to give because kids can do anything with their money.
    And if their parents or relatives give some other things like toys or pencil cases,etc... the kids might get disappointed because of the gifts. I think money is the best gift to give for Christimas!

December 22, 2012 at 6:30 am |
  35. Claire

I really like something that means something to you, like I know someone who likes ducks,so I give her a stuffed duck every year.It makes her happy.

December 22, 2012 at 9:17 am |
  36. carter

My family and I go to someone in need and do a 12 days of christmas gift giving tradition. On every day we give an ornament that has something to do with that specific day.

December 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  37. JACK

I think the best you can give is love. Helping others, doing things others dont excpect you to do and a big ole hug.

December 22, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  38. chloe

the best give to give is love and sharing it with someone. it doesnt have to be an actual gift, but just show them that you care. that is what the holidays are all about.

December 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
  39. Ellie

I think that a hug is the best gift to give because it can be translated to mean so many different things and it can help to cure so many different problems. A hug can show that you really care.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

December 22, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
  40. Arturo

It all depends on the person the 'perfect gift.' But try to know what they like and dislike. But as they say money is one everyone loves.

December 22, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
  41. Davey

I think you should give them at least one thing that will make them happy.

December 22, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
  42. Sam

I think being with those close to you is the best gift possible. Sadly shown by the Conniticutt shooting (my prayers go to those most effected; everyone was effected), life is so easily taken away from us. So, hug those you love a little longer and tighter because you never know when that will be the last time.

December 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
  43. Chris

I don't want a lot for Christmas. There is just one thing I need. I don't care about the presents underneath the Christmas tree. I just want you for my own. More than you could ever know. Make my wish come true. All I want for Christmas is you.

December 22, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
  44. Jueun

In my opinion, honest words of affection and love is the most precious gift ever. Try writing a card with your own handwriting for your family members, your favorite teacher, and your friends. Write to them how important they are to yo and write about stuffs that you feel about them. I always write cards for my families on special occations. A bar of chocolate can cheer them up too. :)
    Oh, and if you want to give them presents, you can get them small things, as in if your sister is running out of her hand lotion, you can buy her one. Happy Christmas!

December 23, 2012 at 5:31 am |
  45. Grace

I think the best gift to give is warm hugs for family and close friends. As for those on the other side of world, greeting cards with sweet messages will be amazing enough.

December 23, 2012 at 6:36 am |
  46. sarah

i think the best gift is seeing a loved one's smile when they see that gift it precous nothing compares to that

December 23, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  47. Damauria

I think the best gifts to give and to receive or love for the unloved, hope for the put downed, happiness to the unhappy. By giving and receiving these gifts, you will spread joy throughout the world.

December 23, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  48. Abby

The best gift I give is going and helping kids who have parents or siblings that are in and out of the hospitle because I was a kid who had 2 of brothers, one of my sisters and my mom in and out of the hospitle.

December 23, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  49. Blake

I think dogs would be the best gift because this year there were tragedies and dogs can make people happy and they are cute.

December 24, 2012 at 1:17 am |
  50. Elise

I think warmth is the best gift to give. Homeless people can freeze, while people sit in their warm houses. Homeless people could use a large coat or some warm food to try to stay warm. Like in The Blind Side, the family took Michael in and it was the middle of winter. Most people would rather be in a warm place than a freezing place. Love, volunteering, giving joy, and other gifts are also great, but I think the best gift is to be warm this holiday season.

December 24, 2012 at 6:26 am |
  51. David

I agree with most of these. But i personally think that comfort is the best gift of all. If you comfort someone you give them hope for the next day. You may even enlighten their day just by takling to them. Comfort is a thing you dont understand until you've got it.

December 24, 2012 at 8:53 am |
  52. Shaeleigh

I think the best gift to give is money to the needy. Christmas is not about getting gifts, it's about giving and being with family. I would donate money than getting something very cool.

December 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  53. Katie

I think Love is the best gift to give. Say you dont have any money to actually purcahse agift, love is the greatest gift of all, especially for a adult. If a child gives their parents love, or anyone love, they will certainly be VERY happy. Try it!

December 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  54. Sravya

I think its money because you could buy anything and you don't have to worry about not getting the gift that you want.

December 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
  55. John

And also to the people wishing for electronics, YOU DON'T IN THE WORLD NEED IT!

December 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
  56. hee-sun

money would be a good present,I think.But are can I give money to my parents and say this is for you??
    and in my country, we don't,or can't earn money at our neighborhood.
    all our allowance comes from my perents.

December 25, 2012 at 12:52 am |
  57. XU

Smile. It is the easiest present to give to any strangers in the street, but offering a whole day of fantastic mood. Though it is easy to offer, but not much people would remember to give.

December 25, 2012 at 1:30 am |
  58. Yiseul

Spending time with your family..that's what christmas is all about! I think family is the most precious gift you can ever get.

December 25, 2012 at 5:23 am |
  59. Zandra

I think the best giftt to give is love and to help those in need.

December 25, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  60. Jack

I think that the best gift to give isn't an object really. For me, I wouldn't care if I got any presents it only matters if I'm with family and friends.

December 25, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  61. Jace

I think that the best gift of the season is knowledge, love, and free will of men. our country is so focused on the "what will i get or what will i receive" and don't get the full meaning of the holidays. That full meaning is, to be with the family and people you care about, not those pointless gifts.

December 25, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
  62. Bella

I think spending time with your family and letting them know that they are loved is the best gift you can give.

December 26, 2012 at 12:53 am |
  63. Justin

I think that giving clothing to families is the best gift. In a cold and desperate Christmas, Everyone wants clothing to keep them warm. So i think that giving clothing is always the best gift to give to someone you loved in Christmas.

December 26, 2012 at 7:30 am |
  64. Katelynne

Anything is best to give or get, really it's the thought that counts. Something is better than nothing. Even if you didn't get what you wanted or don't like what you got, you were thought of by that someone.

December 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
  65. Josalynn

The best gift are not only sent to loved ones, I think the best gift is love :)

December 26, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  66. Trisha

in my opinon it shouldn't matter about gifts it should matter who your spending the holiday with.......

December 26, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
  67. Kelsey

A gift that they acutaly want

December 27, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
  68. Brielle

For the season of giving, I am collecting and donating money to the foster home I got my dog from.

December 28, 2012 at 12:59 am |
  69. Ryan

i think i would get them a car,a x-box connect,a cup, a gift card, and cloths :)

December 28, 2012 at 2:51 am |
  70. Soonyong

I think the best gift this year is hope and one's passion.

December 28, 2012 at 7:16 am |
  71. Jahnavi

I think we should give kids stuff whatever they don't have such as unforgettable toys and letter which result in love and warmth that could never be forgotten by these children. Some of these children may include children that were affected by Sandy's disastrous mischief. They could have lost their home and all of their toys that they loved. Now, it is all gone. If we give them more toys and care they would be happy and bright and their parents would have never forgotten that moment when their child first saw their favorite toy. However, some kids may have lost their parents during the storm. The toys would give them something to remember about that would lighten up their lives.

December 28, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
  72. F

The most ideal gift to share would be spending plenty of momentous moments with your belooved family. Hosting glorious Christmas dinners and gulping down thick gravey-coated slices of turkey are all part of spending wonderful time with your family.

December 29, 2012 at 5:15 am |
  73. Soonyong

I think the best gift is reminiscence.. Unlike material, especially money, happy memories can be kept fore ever and never be altered or dissapear.

December 29, 2012 at 6:20 am |
  74. Madison

I think the best gift to give is love. You should love a lot of things. You should love your family be ause they are the people that take care of you and buy you toys and clothes. You should love yourself for who you are. You should love god and Jesus. They are also the people that take care of you. There are lots more things you should love. To some people, the biggest gift to them is not love, but love is the biggest gift to me

December 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  75. Miranda

I think the best gift is showing someone that you have faith in them, care about them, and love and support them. Ipad,Ipods,gadgets,and books will get broken or lost. But if you belive in someone, that will stay in their memory forevery.

December 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  76. jonni

I think the best thing to give someone is kindness and love from your heart. Also, everybody deserves to have laughter, and giving them a smile will brighten there day that only humor can give.

December 30, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
  77. Diana

I think love is the best thing to give to someone. Or just simply telling someone you care about them and making there day better.

December 31, 2012 at 12:15 am |
  78. jack

I want to give people X Box Playstation, cupcakes, candy bars for the chrismas holiday

December 31, 2012 at 6:03 am |
  79. Lucy

I thing the best gifts are the letters written by hand.
    These are very cordial and heartwarming presents.

January 2, 2013 at 12:38 am |
  80. audrey

I think the best gift ever is spending time with your family, especially if you don't see them a lot.

January 2, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
  81. Amira

In this day and time, people are always rushing through the day looking for the newest gadget and hottest app. It isn't about all that. I feel that the best gifts come from the heart, no matter what it is, if it comes from the heart, it will really mean something to the person receiving it.

January 2, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
  82. Sarah

I think the best gifts are that are the most heartfelt and sincere.

January 3, 2013 at 12:40 am |
  83. Brielle

Free time. The best gift is free time. During free time you can do anything from hanging out with your friends, to spreading love and joy, to helping those less fortunate than us.

January 3, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
  84. Julia

quiet and hearty vacation with your own family and meeting cousins who you couldn't meet for long time :)

January 4, 2013 at 1:34 am |
  85. Jasmine

I think the best thing to give would be time with your family. They love and cherish you and they deserve some of your time. Give them your love and don't ignore them because you never know what could happen to them. Give love and time this year!

January 4, 2013 at 9:58 am |
  86. Micah

There are many different material objects that could be given during this holiday season, but eventually, they will all end up in the trash. The best thing that could be given during the holiday season is something from the heart. Something like spending time with your family, showing how much you truly appreciate them, and most importantly, showing how much you love them. The holiday season is for spreading good cheer and peace to the world, and what better way do that than giving the gift of love.

January 4, 2013 at 10:07 am |
  87. Logan

I think that the best gift to give, or to get is time with the people you love, as well as compassion. You have to make sure that the people who are important to you in your life know that they truly are important. Too many people focus too much on gifts and treats this time of year, and forget the FAMILY part of it. It's important to not take the special times with loved ones for granted because you never know what could happen the next day.

January 4, 2013 at 10:18 am |
  88. Sidonie

I believe that the best gift that you can give someone would have to be a home made gift. Nothing says, "I put thought into this," more then a gift you made yourself. A homemade gift also shows that you love them and that you get who they really are, that you can make it yourself.

January 4, 2013 at 11:07 am |
    • NIcholas

I completely agree with you, I would rather have a home made gift from my little niece then have her go out and spend some money on me, for me its a lot more precious.

January 4, 2013 at 11:08 am |
  89. Ricky

I think the best present ever is to have time with your family and to share moments with family. Christmas is a day for family.

January 4, 2013 at 1:38 pm |

I think the best gifts are love and friendship,
    simply just giving them a card saying you care about them or even a hug can be the best gifts.

January 6, 2013 at 9:56 am |
  91. Chelsey

January 6, 2013 at 9:58 am |
  92. Olivia

I think the best gift to give is happiness. Happiness is something a lot of people are without. If you can just give someone a smile, it'll brighten their day!

January 6, 2013 at 10:07 am |
  93. Grace

I think the best gift to give is joy, because joy is something everyone needs during the Christmas holiday!

January 6, 2013 at 10:10 am |
  94. Katelyn

I belive the best gift to give is the time spent with your family, thats what the holidays are for, to be with your family.

January 6, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
  95. Kaitlyn

I think the best gift to give is music. It expresses your feelings and life, without it how would we show others how we feel?

January 6, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
  96. Elizabeth

The best gift to give is the gift of caring. The gift of caring is simply caring about others. Taking an interest in their lives. Trying your best to understand someone else. All the best gifts come from the gift of caring. Sometimes people just want someone to listen to them and to hear what they say, or sometimes you can listen to a person and find a physical gift that they really want. I live far away from my grandparents, and my grandpa didn’t have many people to spend Christmas with. The best Christmas I gave to him was just talking to him on the phone on Christmas day. Or in another instance, my grandma always keeps up with what is going on in my life and always gets me presents that I really want. If I hadn’t cared about my grandpa or my grandma hadn’t cared about me we would have never given or received the best present. The gift of caring is the best gift because it can lead to so many other gifts.

January 6, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
  97. Haruka

I think the best gift to give is a book. You need to know the recipient's preference, and the books they own,and spend time to decide which one to give.

January 7, 2013 at 7:45 am |
  98. Haruka

I think the best gift is a book. You need to know the recipient's preference and the books they own, then spend time to find the right one.

January 7, 2013 at 7:49 am |
  99. Jarod

You could write someone a letter stating how you feel about them, but that's probably too simple.

January 7, 2013 at 9:19 am |
  100. Maddie

I think the best gift to give is hope, peace, and love. With out these, where would we be? No where.

January 7, 2013 at 10:14 am |
  101. Chelsea

I think it is better to give than to get so people will feel better about giving people a gift that is useful.

January 7, 2013 at 10:37 am |
  102. abdi

the best gift to give is love because most people dont have it and people that do take advantage.

January 7, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
  103. nicole

i think the best gift to give would be a gift that has meaning behind it. it could be as small as a ring or as big as an airplane. but if i were to give something it would be under my budget but would have some kind of meaning to it so that they feel good when they get it.

January 7, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
  104. casiana

I think the best gift you could give or could have is your health. I think your health is important and is the key to keeping you alive. Everyone should have good health.

January 7, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
  105. dominique

i think the best gift to give is all my love to the people i do and dont know, because you dont know wether there happy on the inside or feeling pain on the inside thats why love is the best gift to give.

January 7, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
  106. Jerome

The best gift to give to your girl. is to be there when she is sad and flowers take her to the movies.

January 7, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
  107. Elijah

The best gift to give is 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 dollars. Its a great gift.

January 7, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
  108. Jonathan

I think the best gift would be money. The reason I think this because you can give that gift to the poor that need money. If I had money I would give it to the homeless or the poor.

January 7, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
  109. roberto

A great gift to give is your love and support and you willingness to go out there and help others in need because, the thoughts is what makes a gift really stick out. Gift don't have to be to go spend your money on certain people a real gift to me is going out your way buying food for the homeless/displaced giving them drinks and snack and show support.

January 7, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
  110. chazz

a golden eagle. Those are interesting they attract a lot of attention. it will cost a lot of money.

January 7, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
  111. tyler

i think that family and friends are some of the best things people can get or give. i dont think that i could live without my family because they are always there for me to talk to and i love my family. m,y friends are always there for me to and i am really thankful that i have great friends and a loving family. so i just think that everyone should be thankful for friends and family. i think that if someone is not thankful for there family and friends then i think that they cant be happy with anything.

January 7, 2013 at 4:50 pm |