.
September 17th, 2012

Displays of the Ten Commandments

On Tuesday's edition of CNN Student News, we report on a couple of news stories involving displays of the Ten Commandments.  You hear some arguments for and against these displays on public property; the debate often brings up what's known as the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." (Amendment I)

We'd like to hear your opinions about the displays described in Tuesday's show.

Please remember that we only publish first names on this blog.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Isabella

I think that the 10 commandments being shown in public is not a problem. I can see why people are upset about them being shown in public, but as the constitution says, you may show your religion, and not get in trouble. I think anyone should be able to be proud of their religion and beliefs, so showing the commandments on public property as a monument should not bring up a fuss like this.

September 17, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
  2. Tim

I believe that they should let them because it with other things... and probably alot of other religion post up there own laws in public for everyone too see it.

September 17, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  3. Hana

I think that the ten commandments can be disrespectful to lots of people to put on public property that people will pass by on there way to work or school and will see several times.

September 17, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
  4. Sangmin

I think that it is not illegal to post any religious display in public because the first amendment says that there would be no law prohibiting the "free exercise" of posting up religious displays.

September 17, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
  5. Chelsea

I think they shouldn't remove the 10 commandments because parents don't like it when bill boards have inappropriate things and so why should we remove what some people believe or live on.

September 17, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
  6. Lauren

These people should really take a look at the first amendment.

September 17, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
  7. Dan

It is violating our 1st amendment which clearly states the separation of church (or whatever you call it mosque, mandir, temple, synagogue) from state. What that means is no religion should be in school or public places. So yes it is violating the first amendment. I personally am a non-believer in god. I am not even an atheist because they say there might be a spiritual being out there. I don't believe that. I believe science makes things happen.

September 17, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
    • Thomas

We believe there is no state religion but that does not mean you can't state your religion. Just because you display the ten commandments that does not mean the government is supporting a certain religion thats what the first amendment is trying to explain

September 18, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
    • Anonymous

September 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
  8. Joshua

I think it is fine as long as it doesn't go after another religion. The ten commandments is fine because it just list the rules of the Christians. For example, if football was a religion and you put the rules on the high school grounds it would not be illegal. Its the same thing just with Christians. It would be bad if you put the something like "Christians are better that Islams because we believe in so and so." That would be wrong. So overall its ok for the statue to be there.

September 17, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
  9. John

What difference does it make when our own government and officials disregard ALL laws of any source for the persuit of the agenda of the one percent!

September 17, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
  10. Emily

I don't think there should be a law against any of the religous monuements. If you don't believe in what it means or says, then respect the other meanings. There shouldn't have to be a law against freedom of speech and religion. If you don't like it then respect other people's decisions in faith. I know I'd respect sombody else's decision. People shouldn't want to hide what they believe in either. If you can't respect that, then respect the historical aspect. If a monument is old there shouldn't be a reson to tear it down.

September 17, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
  11. Daniel

None of these laws were violated because of the fact that the American people have freedom of both religion and expression, therefore I believe that these monuments should stay and not be opposed

September 17, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
  12. Nicholas

I feel that the atheists are aggressively imposing their own views onto other people, institutions, and organizations. This is in my mind morally wrong and besides, what harm does the statue bring?

September 17, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Daniel

I say that the Ten Commandments should be displayed because the first amendment gives us the freedom of speech

September 17, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Colin

The Ten Commandments are an important part of many religions and there is not many historical things from Bible times to go along with them despite what Congress thinks.

September 17, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
  15. Ellie

The 1st Amendment doesn't prohibit the school from having the Ten Commandments on the lawn. The Amendment states that the government can neither endorse or prevent the Ten Commandments being displayed in front of the school. That being said, it wasn't very smart of the school to put the commandments up and it might be wise to take them down.

September 17, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
  16. Michael

according to the amendment, nobody has the power to say what's right or wrong about religion/ religous landmarks

September 18, 2012 at 3:34 am |
  17. Rock

Absolutely, the ten commandments should be allowed to stay. Is not humanism(ones who don't love the 10 commandments) a religion of sorts? How dare they have all the say what they deem as religion since they are to themselves a type of religion.

September 18, 2012 at 4:17 am |
  18. Eunice

I do think that displaying the Ten Commandments is the principal's rights of doing or not, but I still think that respecting another's religion is also important.

September 18, 2012 at 5:56 am |
  19. Eunice

Respecting someone's religion is very important, so I don't think that displaying the Ten Commandments is right. And also, it can make them feel bad.

September 18, 2012 at 5:58 am |
  20. Sohyun

If the principal doesn't want to remove the public display of the Ten commandments, he or she doesn't need to because it's the school territory.

September 18, 2012 at 6:00 am |
  21. Sohyun

I don't think displaying the Ten Commandments in public is a great idea, because it can do harm or insult the religion and the people of the religion.

September 18, 2012 at 6:01 am |
    • Weston

The commandments need to stay. The first ammemndment states that each person is entitled to freedom of speech and religion. What religion was this country founded on?

September 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  22. John

I think it is all right to display them whenever you want. We have freedom of religion which technically does not allow the government to interfere with us.

September 18, 2012 at 7:45 am |
  23. Lilly

Its the Ten Commandments, leave them be! they are pieces of history and deserve to be publicly displayed in my opinion

September 18, 2012 at 8:27 am |
  24. Victor

I honestly don't think this is right. If the school want's to share the ten commandments they should be allowed. Everyone has the freedom of religion which means school's should also be. Even if the Atheists saw the ten commandments, I believe if you don't want to see it, just walk away.

September 18, 2012 at 8:48 am |
  25. Mitchell

Okay, First and Foremost what in the world happened to the freedom of religion. Its like the constitution is shunned out from all of our minds. Our Country was built upon religion and so were the schools so why can't they have the Ten Commandments on their lawn. Like honestly next thing you know they're going to be arresting street preachers for preaching the word of God in the public. Also honestly I think that if it was something Muslim or Buddhist they wouldn't have a problem with it. Just because its Christian they don't want to see or hear it. It's like the constitution is now "Freedom of Any Religion (Except for Christianity)." They don't care if they offend us but if we offend them all of a sudden we're the bad guys? I mean seriously. Also the group is from a different state they can grope and complain about what ever they want in their state but this isn't your state so stop complaining.

September 18, 2012 at 8:53 am |
    • Maddie

I'm with you Mitchell. We have rights to say what we want, so why can't we have freedom of religion? The Constitution was not created to offend freedom of religion. Next thing they you know people could get arrested for saying God in public. Remember the Constitution people!!!!

September 19, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • Esther

I totally agree with you.

September 19, 2012 at 10:43 am |
  26. Avery

I think that displays of religious documents should be allowed because they do not do any harm to anyone. If Atheists think that It should not be displayed, then they don't have to beleive in it.

September 18, 2012 at 8:54 am |
  27. Marshall

I honestly think this is rather dumb. I mean our Country was built on religion; we came to America for the freedom of religion. Now they want to take away the freedom? Starting out this country we all believed in God and created SCHOOL based on Christianity, I mean, even George Washington (our FIRST President) was a strong believer in the Christian faith. I mean honestly if they want to put it up there, because even if they aren’t Christians it’s still a good set of rules to follow, they should be able to put it up there. And not everything in the Ten Commandments are all based on Christianity, they have stuff in there like “Honor your Father and Mother” and “Love thy neighbor as thyself”, which even if you don’t believe in Christianity you should still follow them and schools should STILL want their kids to follow them. So overall this is outrageous and I think this should change before they take away all our rights.

September 18, 2012 at 8:54 am |
    • Maddie

Right on, Marshall! This is just stupid. What's next, we have to vote for only one party?

September 19, 2012 at 10:30 am |
  28. Garrett

Religion is a common reason for anger these days. People have their right to preach their religion, but then again, you have the concept for the separation of church and state. And the public school systems are government funded. But people try to actively seek out religious things and remove them, and that is what angers me. They have as much right to remove the religious wording as to put it up.

September 18, 2012 at 8:55 am |

I think the commandments being testified outward is a very outrageous and ridiculous idea due to the fact that in the USA you may practice any religion without being charged. What happened to that? Freedom of religion to a certain extent? I think not. Our country was built off of religion, everyone in this country is different. We have Christians, Islam, and Buddhism. If they testify against Christianity, who's to say that Christians can't testify against other religions? I think society is so focused on the little things when we should be worried bigger problems.

September 18, 2012 at 9:00 am |
  30. Avery

I think they should because the Constitution states that anyone could show a religous monument.

September 18, 2012 at 9:03 am |
  31. Zenaida

First of all those people who are complaining about the statue that is in front of the school are from another state. It’s not like they have to drive by it every day, so why are they offended? One of the commandments is that there is the freedom of religion so why can’t this school have a statue of the Ten Commandments on their property? These are a good set of rules to follow even if you don’t believe in God. So are these people trying to say that if you don’t believe in God you shouldn’t ‘honor thy father and mother’.

September 18, 2012 at 9:03 am |
  32. Nathan

It is fine to have the ten commandments up because it doesn't offend the Constitution, and it is fine if it is a religous schhol

September 18, 2012 at 9:13 am |
  33. Michael

FORGET politically correctness. If YOUR offended then GET OVER IT. It's the twenty first century WE ARE OFFENDED EVERY DAY. STOP WHINING AND BEING BRATS. This is OUR COUNTRY TOO. I mean you dont see us getting rid of ISLAM or BHUDDISM! CAUSE IF WE DO WE START A WAR. We're all just cowards playing necular bomb chickens with Afghanistan! SO GET OVER IT. ITS IN THE CONSTITUTION AND FORGET YOUR FEELINGS!

September 18, 2012 at 9:14 am |
  34. Justin

I can't stand hipocracy like this. These people who don't want the ten commandments displayed are the same ones saying that Muslims need more freedom of religion, which is in turn causing the freedom of Christianity to be threatened.

September 18, 2012 at 9:39 am |
  35. Blaze

They have a right to have the ten commandments on their school propery. Because it's been there since 1957 and the Goverment hasn't said anything about it. Why do atheists from another state care why the 10 Comandments are on a school property? It is legal to have the 10 Comandments in Georga state captial because it is with other official documents.

September 18, 2012 at 9:48 am |
  36. Lupita

Most of us think a school should be able to put the ten commandments on school grounds.

September 18, 2012 at 9:55 am |
  37. Joseph

I thought people first came to America for freedom of religion...why are we restricting it now?

September 18, 2012 at 10:00 am |
  38. Jasmin

If something from the past is historical, it shouldn't have to be with something else. History is history.

September 18, 2012 at 10:01 am |
  39. Tyler

The statue of the 10 commandments is historical. It shouldn't be removed because a couple of people are upset. It's history; you can't change that.

September 18, 2012 at 10:02 am |
  40. Kathena

We feel that the 10 commandments should be allowed to be displayed because everyone has the freedom of religion.

September 18, 2012 at 10:03 am |
  41. Chris

I think that the Ten Commandments should be able to be shown in public, because of what the constitution says.

September 18, 2012 at 10:07 am |
  42. Maddie

Of course its okay! You heard the Constitution! The law has no right to set up a law about religion. If Hammurabi"s Code was put up on display it wouldn't be illegal. It's part of history. The ten Commandments are part of our history too.

September 18, 2012 at 10:19 am |
  43. Stacie

If other religions are allowed to show off their religion, then Christians should be allowed to as well!

September 18, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  44. Zachary

yes because, the students can learn more about the ten commandments for class work or study it for a test.

September 18, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  45. Jillian

If there is really problems with the ten commandments being on display in the United States of America then there should be a problem with the religions being on display in the middle east. We are Unitds States of America, we have freedom of religion.

September 18, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  46. Jose, Taylor and Jaxon

Allow the 10 commandments because we are a country that respects religion. It's like telling Catholics not to wear crosses. There shouldn't be a legal action against it.

September 18, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  47. Ariana

Hello, my name is Ariana, and I believe it is inappropriate to display the ten comandments on a building. America is a free country, and we have the rights of religion. It is like we are saying " Hey, these are our rules, and you have to follow them!" everyone has there rights, so we should use them!

September 18, 2012 at 10:24 am |
  48. Casey

I think that we should be able to believe in anything we want but posting something from your religion doesn't sound right, because if someone else was to put something from their religion somewhere we Christians would be FURIOUS ...

September 18, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  49. A.K.

I don't think that the 10 Commandments at the school should be taken down because it is not making others worship a certain way and it has historical value.

September 18, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  50. emerson

there's nothing wrong with it,it is a peice of history.

September 18, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  51. Heather

I don't know what to say.

September 18, 2012 at 10:31 am |
  52. daniel

i think that this is a great idea

September 18, 2012 at 10:31 am |
  53. Ms.Gamer

I think they should just respect the religion cause some day your going to wind up wanting to join it then the people are going to kick you out of it! :)

September 18, 2012 at 10:31 am |
  54. mathew

why are people getting mad about the commandments?

September 18, 2012 at 10:32 am |
  55. Aubrey

Well people should obey the ten commandments but what I am trying to figure out way are people having arguments about it?

September 18, 2012 at 10:32 am |
  56. Thomas

Well we should follow the ten commandments because they are support to help.

September 18, 2012 at 10:33 am |
  57. Anna

I think that they should have the Ten Commandments up.

September 18, 2012 at 10:33 am |
  58. Jenna

Idk its stranger why do you want my opinion. doesnt make any sense...............why do they agrue over this.

September 18, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  59. branden

this is a great idea :):):):);)

September 18, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  60. Brandon

Well the constitution says what it says.

September 18, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  61. Jacob

Religion is your own belief but they can't budge in of your reliegon

September 18, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  62. devin

the ten commandments are helpful to most pepole

September 18, 2012 at 10:35 am |
  63. Squire

I think thay can not do it.

September 18, 2012 at 10:36 am |
  64. Bradley

I think this is good for the election.

September 18, 2012 at 10:37 am |
  65. russell

they should stay like it is

September 18, 2012 at 10:39 am |
  66. Deshawn

I think it is ridiculous that they are arguing over this.

September 18, 2012 at 10:40 am |
  67. Wesley

I do not think they should display the Ten Commandments in public property. If they do why? Everyone will see it but they won't read them. I would but a lot of people might not.

September 18, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  68. luis

they should not displays of the ten commandments.

September 18, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  69. Thomas

I think since it is a part of history and the constitution says it's acceptable it should be allowed.

September 18, 2012 at 10:42 am |
  70. Cassidy

I think is legal because we all have different religions and we each have freedom to do what we want. People think we should not show our religion, but if they show theirs we should be able to show ours too. If they want to show their religions we can learn from each other. So we should have to show ours in public and they should be able to share theirs.

September 18, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  71. jadynn

No we should let people pick their own religion its not up to us

September 18, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  72. Alison

i think it is our right to beable to have displayb of the ten commandments 'freedom of religion"

September 18, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  73. kyle

every one should believe in what they what to.But you should put up the 10 commandments.

September 18, 2012 at 10:56 am |
  74. chloe

i think that it should not be aloud to be in some ones property becuase if they are a diffrent religus or if they dont belive in the ten commandments and we make them do it then what happen to the law that says fredom and fredom of speech?

September 18, 2012 at 10:56 am |
  75. amanda

i think we should have the ten commandments out on display because i believe that the bible and the ten commandments are true, and prue fact. also we have the right of religon so we should let people see them so maybe they can come to God and be saved.

September 18, 2012 at 10:56 am |
  76. Emma

I think that every one shuld have the freedom to belive in what they want to belive in. :)

September 18, 2012 at 10:57 am |
  77. Zoe

I think you should not put the ten commandments on public property because it would make others feel bad, if they dont belive in that kind of stuff.
    How would you like it if you see somthing that you did not appreciate or understand and you saw it every day, I think it would put a big downer on my day.(:

September 18, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • Tori

I like your reasoning Zoe,and a very good reason, too. I would have said it almost exactly like that.(:

September 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
  78. colby

yes!!

September 18, 2012 at 10:58 am |
  79. Cameron

In my opinion, I think that the people putting the ammendments in public places should ask the public if they can do so in a fair manor.[like a public voting]

September 18, 2012 at 10:59 am |
  80. Brittney

I think that every one should believe in what they want to believe in. But I also think that people should be able to put the ten commandments where they want to put it, that does not mean that if you believe in something different you have to obey those commandments.

September 18, 2012 at 10:59 am |
  81. alyssa

I think that it is great that we have the ten commandments because it is helpful in schools and in are comminity. I think that it is great the we have freedome but at the same time we have punishments and rules.

September 18, 2012 at 11:02 am |
  82. Brian

I think they shouldn't take it down because most of the kids are religious.

September 18, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  83. Levi

I think it is ridiculous that they are trying to take the ten commandments out of a public place! We should be able to display our religion as others do no matter where it be, Leave it be!!!

September 18, 2012 at 11:24 am |
  84. Rafael

I think that they should not take away the Ten Commamed

September 18, 2012 at 11:24 am |
  85. Erick

i think that it is bad that is happening

September 18, 2012 at 11:25 am |
  86. Jennifer

I think they should keep it because the ten commandments are not bothering nobody.

September 18, 2012 at 11:25 am |
  87. Sarah

We have the freedom of religion. You don't have to read it. You can just glance up and look but don't have to read it. It's a historical document and if the constitution and magna carta can be out then so can this.

September 18, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  88. C.J.R.

I think they should keep the monument of the 10 commandments because it is showing freedom of religion and it is not discriminating against other religions.

September 18, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  89. Harrison

I think it is fine that the Ten Commandments is displayed.

September 18, 2012 at 11:50 am |
  90. Vivian

I think that it is wrong for them to put the ten commandments because it could insult the other religions that are not christian. I think that even though it has been up for a long time they should still take it down i not against the religion though it could cause a lot of feelings of disrespect. you never see anything from any other religion displayed on or in public property. we can't always have a biased point of view

September 18, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  91. janay

i think that its ok for everyone to believe in what they what too believe and i dont think that it should be on school campus because if they dont what too believe in it they dont have too too everyone have their own belief so that's what i think sooo no they shouldn't have no ten

September 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
  92. Abdi

I disagree with putting the ten commandment on the school grounds because, every person have different beliefs so i dont that they should put the ten commandments.

September 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
  93. zack

the school should be able to display the 10 comandments because its not about religion,its a piece of history.they dont have the right to sue,but we will see how it plays out...

September 18, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  94. kobe

i think that the ten commandments are more of history than religious so they should keep it up

September 18, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  95. Billy

If you can say 'In God We Trust' on the plegde of alligance and have it in the constituion, why cant they have it on a plague. The athese dont have to read it.

September 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  96. Jordan

I think it would be ok to put the ten commandments on schools and business because its what you believe in and no one can take that away from you because its against the constitution that is what we fought for is freedom.

September 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  97. Jack

The school claims that they've had the monument for a long time, why should people that dont believe in that specific religion be mad about it now?

September 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  98. Victoria

It's not a bad thing to put The Ten Commandments if you're religous, because it is showing what you believe. But in some cases people may not like it if they are not religous or if they have a different religion.

September 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  99. Whitney

No one has the right to diss anyone's religion. Just because their religion may be different than yours, doesn't mean anything they are doing is wrong or against the law. If they don't bother you about their religion, you shouldn't bother them about theirs.

September 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  100. Tyler

the commandments should not be removed. taking away the commandments is like taking away God from your heart. so they should not remove it from that school.

September 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  101. Mady

You should be able to do it. It shows a part of our history and they're always trying to make us learn more about that, so let us show our freedom.

September 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  102. mac

shareing your opinon is not ilegal it is true jesus is god

September 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  103. justin

I think that people should be able to express there religon and that there is not any segragation about it

September 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  104. trevor

i think if its been there for a long time then they should be able to keep it its on there property

September 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  105. Keegan

I think that they should be able to display the ten Commandments because everyone should have the right to say what he wants to say. Its not hurting the Athiest they could just mind there own buisness.

September 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  106. braden

nomatter what religion you are we should stell fallow some of the commandments

September 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  107. cooper

we,{the people}

should be able to express our self,by religon
    like showed in the constitution{WE are the people}

September 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  108. junglung

honestly i dont think it is a bad thing to have the ten commandments on public property because basically they symbol the country,its freedom,our ways of life,and its people.

September 18, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  109. jordan

I perfectly think it is legal to put the 10 commandments on private/public property.The 10 commandments is what the law of today is based around. The United States has the freedom of speech so the people should be able to speak thier mind. We also have the freedom of religon which means we would have that right to do put the 10 commandments out in public like that.
    1.)Thou shalt not steal
    2.)Thou shalt not kill
    3.) Thou shalt not commit adultry

September 18, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  110. Jonah

The first amendment prevents the restricting of religion, it does not prevent the display of religion. what they are doing is acually violating the ammendment that they are trying to uphold.

September 18, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
  111. jordan

I honestly think its perfectly legal to put the 10 commandments on private/public property. Its what the law of today is based around. It repersents the United States of the law. If we wer truly to use freedom of speech it woulsnt be against the law to have the law on the lawn/ we also have freedom of religoon to some people that is part of a religon but to other people its a part of the law.
    1. )thou shalt not kill
    2.) thou shalt not steal
    3.) thou shal not commit adultry

September 18, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • Ciara

Thats a great point I never thought about it like that

September 18, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  112. Sunzid

I believe that if the school wants to use the monument as a historical display, it should be fine with the constitution as long as they keep it a display.

September 18, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
  113. Jakob

The conflict over having ten commandments in public is not something that either side is going to easily win. Religious Freedom and Freedom of expression are foundational to our country. Wouldn't attacking someone's to decision to put up ten commandments on their own property be encroaching on their freedom?

September 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
  114. Ethan

While I believe its important not to force religion on others, I think the out-of-state atheist group is going a bit to far. A barely readable piece of stone shaped like the ten commandments is not against the constitution. I actually feel that the atheist are forcing their atheism on the school.

September 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
  115. Logan

I think that the people should check with people around around the school. I also think that it should be left there, because it is kind of an important part of our history.

September 18, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  116. chris

i think that is should be allowed to be displayed because like they said it been there for 57 years already

September 18, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  117. Alivia

I think that it is an important thing in our history, and that it should stay there. The purpose for it being there is most likely for the history part, not the religion part.

September 18, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  118. tyler

i think you should keep it because thats something very historical so i say keep it

September 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • Drew

but how is it historical to our country ? Why isn't the five pillers from the quran on these camposes ?

September 18, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
  119. Jason

I say that if you leave it were it is, there shouldn't have to be a problem with it because if someone of a different religion, they shouldn't make such a big deal of it. Religions are very important to some people, but if the school wants to keep it there for historical reasons than the people should dead with it. The people can all believe in what they want to and move on.

September 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  120. Matthew

I think they should allow it because its not fair to the school even though its against there religion they should be able to have the display because its more of a historic piece than a religious piece. Even if there against it the piece. Just deal with it.

September 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  121. Hadassah

Honestly, i'm not very good at making descisions. But, i think the monument SHOULD be kept in front of the school, because it's a very important part in history. It's not the most important part, but it is important. If the school wants to put it there, then let them keep it there. If it's on their property then let it be on their property.

September 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  122. Chase

I think that it should be allowed to be displayed because it is important to everyone for history AND religion.

September 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  123. Olivia

I don't think it's ok to display the Ten Commandments at a public school because not everyone that goes there is a Christian, but it would be ok to display them at a place like a church or a Christian school. In my opinion you should only display something like this at a place where everyone supports what you are displaying.

September 18, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  124. Ian

I think that they should allow the Ten Commandments to be displayed because they are one of the most famous biblical artifacts, and they are more historical than religious.

September 18, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  125. Abby

I feel that the commandments should be allowed to be displayed with other documents but at schools it shouldn't be allowed. If it's displayed at schools some families may take offense. Not all the families like things from other religions.

September 18, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  126. Celeste

I think no because there may be author people that don't believe in that stuff or some people who do.

September 18, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  127. April

I think that the school should be able to show the ten commandments because they deserve to and they should have the rights to. It is an ancient piece of beautiful artwork and it looks very wonderful where it is.

September 18, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  128. Josue

I believe that they should be allowed to be displayed because of their historical meaning,so the people that don't like them they can just ignore it when they pass by them.

September 18, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  129. Pablo

I think that they should be allowed to display the ten commandments.

September 18, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  130. Kathryn

I think that its ok that its there because it shows that there is some thing important there.

September 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  131. Robel

I think that they should put the Ten Commandments because it is important for people to learn about what's right and what's
    wrong.

September 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  132. Vincynt

I think that the school should be able to show the ten commandments because like they said it's more of a piece of history than it is a religious statue for "only" Christians. Just because it is a Christian dominate piece doesn't mean it can't be shown.

September 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  133. John

I am an athiest but i accept the fact that these people are showing their respect for their religion and we should not say that it is unconstitutional to express their religious veiw to the public by showing the ten commandments.

September 18, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  134. Sophia

I think that the display of the ten commandments is oaky to show. Because the school never said that the students had to believe in the ten commandments. the principal of the school said that it is more of a historical landmark then a sign of religion. But this display is also unacceptable because what if the students do not believe in the ten commandments so why would they have them there in the first place. But if the school is a Catholic or Christian school then it is oaky

September 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  135. Crista

I think that it is OK to have the Ten Commandments displayed in public sight, because it I think it reminds people what the should be and it shows what rules god made for us to follow. But it is also not OK because it can go against other people's religion.

September 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  136. Jasmine

I really think that the should keep the Ten Commandments still standing. One reason is because of the historical means. If some people don't wanted there couldn't they just ignore it or walk away from it.

September 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  137. Jordan

I feel like they should be allowed to have the 10 commandments. For all the people know is that there could be people from that religion and that could remind them of home. Therefor they should keep them at the school.

September 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  138. Jenny

i dont think they should remove the monument because it has been thir for a long time and i dont think it has anything to do with religious reasons they should just leavee it their for how long its been their its like a historic statue and i believe that they should leave it

September 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  139. Lily

Who cares if a school wants to have a slab of stone out side their school if you don't like it don't look at it! There are more pressing matters than this!

September 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  140. Iris

I think that the displaying of the Ten Commandments should no more be prohibited than showing the Constitution; no-one is forcing anybody to agree with, believe in, or read the Commandments.

Note: Crosses are shown in public places, why not the Ten Commandments?

September 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  141. CJ

I think that the 10 commandments should stay were they are because moving them would be disrespectful to the religion that it came from, and anger people into strike and(or) even death to people who wanted to move it.

September 18, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  142. Audrey

I am not totally sure about my opinion if it should or shouldn't be displayed there. Its good and bad in different ways. Its good to show how people feel, but bad because it can make problems between people. Agreeing to a fair answer is very important for this kind of problem that can help both opinions and sides.

September 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  143. Ja'Lia

I believe this statue should remain where it is, ONLY due to the fact of how long it was there. Previous students nor officials complained before, so why start now? It is a religious issue, however these atheist arent even from that particular school.For them to complain theyre voicing thier religous beliefs, therefore they are in the wrong also.
    On the other hand this is in fact a religoius dispute, so legal actions might take place.

September 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  144. CJ

I think that the 10 commandments should stay were they are, because moving them would be disrespectful to the religion that it came from, and probable anger people into strike.

September 18, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  145. Jacob

I believe this statue should remian in place, why? only due to the fact of how long it has been there. No one has complained about it up to now what makes them come and try and change a historic statue just because all of a sudden they feel "offended" , religion is followed by people in different ways and it shouldnt be judged on how other people choose too follow it.

September 18, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  146. Joel

The pilgrims came here for freedom of reiligon and if we have freedom of religon it should be ok.Plus it is a historical thing

September 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  147. Ciara

Personally I think it should be allowed, but in the constitution it clearly says that we have freedom of religion. It also says church and state should not mix so it all depends on how you look at it.

September 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
  148. Brooke

i think they should do what is best for the country and put it any were they want! :) :) :) :) :( :) :)

September 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  149. Zoe

I think that it is okay to show the ten commandments in public because the constitution states that we have freedom of religion and this whole problem is going agents that right.

September 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
  150. Melanie

The Ten Commandments are a monumental historical piece. The constitution states that we have Freedom of Religion. Those who would rather it not be there should ignore it. As the pledge of allegiance states this nation is "under God"; therefore, the Ten Commandments should be flaunted as much as wanted.

September 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
  151. Jasmine

Ok, i for one think that this whole situation is stupid. No offence to anyone who thinks it should be taken down, i can see why you want it down and i can understand those reasons. But seriously, were all arguing abot this when there are WAY more presing matters at hand, like the economy. So why are we wasting our time arguing about a stupid slab of stone with CHRISTIAN rules on it? it's not like they're telling everyone in the world to follow every single one of those rules! If your not christian, so what! We're not focing you to do anything. but there are rules on there that everyone should follow like honor thy mother and father and love thy mother as thy self. So are we saying that we should go and be rebellious and disrespectful to our parents and kill our neighbors? I think you can understand what i think by now. WE have th right to expres our religion too, not just islams and muslims and buddhuists and all those other religions. The ones complaining aren't even from that state so why are they worried about it? Especialy now after its been there for 57 years already. Besides, if they're going and saying that having the 10 COMMANDMENTS up is violating the first commandment of the 10COMMANDMENTS, oesn't that mean they follow them too?

September 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
  152. Jennifer

I think that the ten commandments may be linked specifically to Christianity, but some of them overlap into other rellgions. Also, most of them are basic human morals that everyone thinks to follow.

September 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
  153. Alicia

I think they should keep it. It's not like the principal is telling all the other religions to go pray by the Ten Commandments and ask for forgiveness. This is part of the Freedom of Religion in the first amendments (as said above). If people feel uncomfortable, they do not need to go near it. They can just avoid it. It's not that big of a deal.

September 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
  154. Ben

I don't think aithests should care because having the ten comandments is like have a nativity scene up in winter. It's just over reactions

September 18, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  155. Kevin

Everyone is equal and must follow the law so should the school it obviously a display of religion

September 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
  156. Noah

The 10 Commandments should be able to be on display at any place, because the people are not forcing others to practice the rules, they are not making them believe in or promoting the rules. They are just exercising their beliefs which they have the right to do because of the First Amendment.

September 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
  157. Maya

If it were my decision, I think it is perfectly fine to display the Ten Commandments because the constitution says all citizens have the right to freedom of speech and religion, and this falls into both categories. If someone has a problem with it, just remind them that all Americans have the freedom of religion and the right to voice it with the public.

September 18, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  158. Kevin

The law is for evrybody and everyone should follow it.This is obviously a act of religion.

September 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  159. George

To me personally I think if its piblic ground they shouldn't show a religious symbol, because what if a islamic student of jewish student comes by they might feel affended and so whatever if the school is 90% or 100% christian it says right in the constitution that religion and state are seperate.

September 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
  160. Zahid

I don't think they should put the Commandments in a public place by itself. For example, if they put the Commandments in front of a public school, it seems to me that they are advocating Christianity. That is the same reason why I don't beleive they should post ayah from the Quran or any other holy book. Its like they are favoring one side. However, if it is a matter of history, not religion, I think it is a different matter. They won't be violating the first amendment if it has nothing to do with religion.

September 18, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
  161. Keely

Due to the fact that it is a public school does make me a bit skeptical on which side of this debate I should follow. But, I decided to concour with what the principal was stating, it does resemble a historic event. Therefore, I believe that the school should keep their ten comandments and that the protesters should realize that.

September 18, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
  162. Wesley

Why is displaying the ten commandments not a separation of church and state? I mean, its basically displaying what our laws are based on. Besides, cances are they already have, or are going to be talking about it in school, so What's the problem?

September 18, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
  163. Danielle

I think that it should be allowed to stay where it is now, displayed in the park. It in no way violates the constitution, and if they are teaching kids about the 'Big Bang' and 'evolution' in history books, this should definitely not be a problem. :)

September 18, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
  164. Justine

I think that if it's making a group of people uncomfortable, they have the constitutional right to have it removed. Yes, it is a significant landmark that I'm sure many people enjoy, but I think we should be thoughtful of others, as well. It is their right, after all; "Freedom of religion."

September 18, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
  165. Abigail

I strongly believe that the ten commandments should remain on school grounds. It is not saying you have to be a christian or you should not believe in your own religion. The constitution clearly states that American's have freedom of religion! Other people have different beliefs and those should be respected too, but a stone with ten ancient rules isn't going to harm anyone!

September 18, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
  166. Anthony

Why should we remove the ten commandments? Over ninety percent of the religions in the US revolve around ten commandments. Atheist isn't even a religion, please leave one thing about god alone. They even tried to take the phraise "In God We Trust" off the dollar bill

September 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  167. Tyler

Im so tired of Stupid People. They should have the 10 commandment on the school property. I'm tired of the lazy nation not taken up for are god. Are founder would go crazy if they see this world today. I'm tired of people and the government put god down. Us Christians need to wake up. People trust in God. What if God Dosent exist. We won't be here right now. I wish they put praying back into school. I'm tired of the stupid people down ratin god. I don't what this country is no more. This country is not free. They are taken are rights. In God We Trust. We should trust God. I'm sorry it hurt ar get mad but this is true....

September 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  168. Bekah

Even thought it has been there for 50 years, over time people have gotten more offended by their religion so some people may get upset when they see that or offended about how the think.

September 18, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
  169. Jordan

We came to this country to have religous freedom. So I think there is nothing wrong with having the display there.

September 18, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
  170. Katelyn

The school should be allowed to keep the 10 commandments displayed. It's a piece of history, and doesn't appear to offend the community members. If the members of the community are not offended, then why should a group from out of state but in to their business.

September 18, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
  171. Brandon

No Separation of church & state get it out of there.

September 18, 2012 at 11:00 pm |

I belive that they should be able to show this without outher religious documents because it will edgucate people on outher religions and the constuiton did not say that they could not put it on public property it said people should have the right to practice their own religion!!!

September 18, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
  173. Kaelyn

I think what Congress intended when they wrote the cited amendment is obvious. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." The government is prohibited by this amendment to restrict the free exercise of religion, presumably as long as said free exercising of religion does not break any central laws of the nation. Since posting a profanity-free piece of text on public property in the manner reported upon in this episode does not break any laws, their right to do so with a religious document should not be disputed.

September 18, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
  174. Alexis

I think It should be there for how long it has been there it just would be not right to move

September 18, 2012 at 11:26 pm |
  175. Drew

I believe it is wrong for them to put the ten commandments in font of the high school because it can be offensive to people of diffrent religions

September 18, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
  176. Clarissa

I think the 10 commandments monument has to stay in it's place because this is something "historial and religious", even when the location of the monument is a publc school, is somenthing really important for religious people and the one's who had grown with it. Maybe the school has to make a debate so, they can discuss about the monument.

September 18, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
  177. Parth

In my opinion, I believe that the Commandments should be allowed to be displayed because it is not there to offend anyone and it does not directly violate the First Amendment. America is the land of the free and that includes religion so I think that there should be no problem with displaying them proudly as long as it they are not causing any harm to anyone.

September 19, 2012 at 4:01 am |
  178. Riley

I believe if we are granted the right to free speech, religion, and freedom of the press, we should be able to act upon those freedoms. Whether or not the property is public or private is irrelevant to me. If we are not allowing someone to display the ten commandments, we are in a way restricting their ability to speak freely and worship freely. If someone does not agree with displaying the commandments in public, they must take into consideration the rights of the people displaying them.

September 19, 2012 at 8:58 am |
  179. Chip

I believe that while it is of historical significance of some, it is not something that needs to be set up at a school, because the school might as well post every important religious text in front of the school so it does not show favoritism of one religion, there is no other historical documents nearby for a displaying of certain importance

September 19, 2012 at 8:58 am |
  180. Lucas

Displaying the Ten Commandments is not an issue. Not only is it a religious figure but it's a part of history and we shouldn't take that away.

September 19, 2012 at 8:58 am |
  181. Trent

I believe that the right to post a view of what religion you are because the first amendment is freedom of speech and of press, also of religion. If you violate that then you are being unconstitutional and people should respect the religion of others even though it may not be right they should be respected.

September 19, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  182. Maddie

I just happen to be Christian. You gonna arrest me for THAT? You're all being as bad as a dictator. Like Osama bin Laden or Adolf Hitler or President Snow from The Hunger Games.

September 19, 2012 at 10:56 am |
  183. Ann

There is a statue of a blue oxen in some town on what I believe is town property. Now, I don't think many people believe in Paul Bunyan's big blue ox. Why aren't people making a fuss about there being a blue ox statue in town? Because they know that they aren't being forced to believe that there was a big blue oxen. Just because there is a statue of the Ten Commandments in some town, it doesn't mean that you are being forced to agree with it. People need to stop looking for every little thing to make a fuss about. If it was any other religion's rules or something of the sort, they wouldn't be arguing about it. It would be just fine to display it wherever they wanted to. It's just the devil working against Christians, again.

September 19, 2012 at 10:57 am |
  184. Jade

There is nothing wrong with the Ten Commandments. Its not bothering any one. The people who are religious follow the the people who don't believe can leave it alone. Its a symbol for some people. So I think they should leave it alone>

September 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  185. Cam :)

This is stupid that they are arguing over this Historical land mark when Moses was given the Ten Commandments from The Lord. So in my opinion it is a stupid thought to get rid of it.

September 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  186. cc

I fill like it should be shown in public because if you put it in a museum they would make people pay a lot of money to go see it in public though its right there so every one can see it with out paying.

September 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  187. MARIA

I think that there is no problem because it it right to do that and that people have there right to do "mostly" what they what.

September 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
  188. Cel

It shouldn't matter where it is. It's safe there isn't it?? Why are people complaining? Like,seriously,just because it's in a random town,atleast be happy it's in the USA!

September 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
  189. breanna

some thing like the ten commandments is something they need to promise they should do every year and make

September 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  190. angela

well i think that the ten commandments are fine being where they are because that's every ones rights to know the ten commandments and i think that that's okay that we have the commandments around because its not breaking the rights and it is something that all citzens should know that they have these rights and its important that all people know that they have these rights

September 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
  191. Joe

I have been a Christian since I was 10. I say let it stay on that property. People do things that break the Cmmandments. I like things that are historic. So let it stay! Let Christ be heard! :D

September 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  192. Robin

I feel as though freedom of religion should allow the Ten Commandments to be displayed anywhere. Nobody said anything about preventing other religions to display things as well, I do not understand why this is such a huge issue. People should be able to express their religion, or if they don't have a religion at all. I believe people should also respect and understand each others' different choices of religion as
    well.

September 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  193. Cassie

I understand why people might get defensive about religion being displayed publicly around towns, but I believe that everyone has their own opinion and should be able to express it in their own way.

September 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  194. Quinnlan

I think it should be displayed to a historical site for everyone to see.

September 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  195. Jenn

The first amendment of the Constitution says that we as people have the right to freedom of religion. I think that places who choose to put the ten commandments up has the right to do so, because it is their property and there is no law saying that they can't express their religion.

September 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  196. Ariel

I think that since we are entitled to freedom of religion, then we may post the Ten Commandments anywhere we please. No one was telling the atheists that they had to read and abide by the Ten Commandments, they were just posted because it was something THEY believed in. If the atheists want to, they could probably post their own beliefs on their property somewhere. That is completely their choice and the people who have other religions do not have to go there if they do not wish to.

September 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  197. Alexx

I think that the Ten Commandments should be able to be displayed. There's no rules that say they can't be, so why not? People have the ability to just not look at them.

September 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  198. Erica

I believe that it is okay to display the ten commandments. Displaying them is not an action that is trying to pursade anyone to change religions.

September 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  199. Hayden

Displaying the Ten Commandments should be something that America takes pride in because of our heritage. We are one nation under God, and the 10 commandments are a basic set of rules that Americans should live by. The historical value is immense as well.

September 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  200. Sarah

The Constitution makes is clear that the government shall not make a law supporting religion, and that freedom of religion shall not be restricted. I don't think either of these instances involving the display of the Ten Commandments fall into those categories. The school is not supporting or refuting the Commandments, simply displaying a historical monument of them. I think people are too quick to make these judgements. Remember a time when teaching Darwinism was battled against? It seems that now we have gone to the complete other end of the spectrum. Americans need to meet in the middle on this issue.

September 19, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
  201. Jonah

The presence of any a religious display on public property does not violate the constitution. All the constitution says that that Congress should not make a law proclaiming a national religion or make the practice of religion illegal. The display does not mean that those who attend to school or the town itself is proclaiming the belief in that religion. They are not forcing anyone to believe. On the other hand, the separation of church and state does apply here.

September 19, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
  202. Zedekiah

The Ten Commandments can be offensive to other religions. The stone on the school grounds does appear to show more of a religious reference rather than a historical reference. If the Ten Commandments are displayed with other significant archives then I believe it is correct for them to be displayed as a historical reference.

September 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm |