.
June 5th, 2012

PUNS OF THE YEAR

As anchor of CNN Student News, one of the questions I get asked the most is "Who writes the puns?"  I answer that question in a video posted here, but this blog post is all about YOU:  We wanna know what you thought was the best - or worst - pun of the year.  (And if you can describe the video it came with, that'd be a bonus.)

Leave us your comment, and look for your favorite pun to get an encore in Friday's edition of CNN Student News!

Filed under: Feedback
  1. Solomon

I think that the pun that i thought was an ok pun would be the one where you said "Doggonit were out of time". That one was probably the best one that ive heard so far and ive been watching cnn student news the entire year!
    P.S. You should use the pun counter when we come back from spring break.

June 5, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • Jamie

i like the one with a airplane! but i think you need to work on them some more....

June 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
      • Tabatha

Yha he does need to work on some more! but he's not that bad i have a lot of haters in my school so they hate on you puns

June 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • Sherri

But Solomon, you need to learn some punctuation. There is a huge difference between were and we're. And I think you used the wrong one. Also it helps to use capitalization when writing. And spell check. It makes your posts easier to understand by others.

June 26, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
  2. Katie

I luv the puns that carl says after before we go segment! my class and i watch cnn student news every day.. monday – friday, and we always laugh.

June 5, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
  3. Maria

I have to tell you, all of the puns are TERRIBLE. I don't think any are more TERRIBLE than the others. But at least Carl says them with a smile on his face. I think that that is all that matters, no matter how TERRIBLE they are.

June 5, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
    • Brittney :-)

They are not all terrible I think they are all good!But some people think differently that's okay.

June 6, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • LILY AND BRITTNEY

Mean

June 6, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • Choi

You really don't have to capitalize terrible you know::

June 8, 2012 at 8:53 am |
  4. Ella

I really couldn't decide! I love all your puns, Carl! I love everything about the show! I'm going to miss CNN Student News in the summer! And you Carl!

June 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
  5. Edward

bahhhhhhhhhhhh

June 5, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Kris

Carl, your worst pun of the year was the one about the bear that was in the swimming pool it wasn't nearly as funny so, my class was like forget bout it went back to their work

June 5, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Grace

Carl, I honestly think that the cat pun you said in the June 6 th episode was the worst pun you ever said.
    I really felt mean and cruel by saying that but you know you have to tell the truth or your opinion.

June 5, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
  8. Emily

i think the best one was about the skateboarding 1200 ollie pun but they are so corny that they are funny. i like them

June 6, 2012 at 3:18 am |
  9. Rachel

The video that a puppy ate hot dog, you said "dog eat dog world! " and I think that was the funniest and best pund!

June 6, 2012 at 8:00 am |
  10. Mary

I can't remember all the puns, but I'd have to say that I enjoyed every single one.

June 6, 2012 at 10:39 am |
  11. Kamal

Everyday, my class counts the puns and guesses how many puns there are. We watch Carl everyday and keep a Carl journal and take notes on it. Thanks for a great year.

June 6, 2012 at 11:51 am |
  12. sophie

i dont have a favorite one of those cheesy puns thetre all in the same category

June 6, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • John

I'm speechless. This can be a serpub blog and very attractive too. Nice work! That's now not actually a lot coming from an newbie publisher like me, however it's all I may just say after diving into your posts. Nice grammar and vocabulary. Not like other blogs. You actually recognise what you?re talking about too. Such a lot that you made me want to discover more. Your blog has develop into a stepping stone for me, my friend.

July 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  13. Kaylee

Some of the punts are ok but I am not a fan of most of them they need to be funnier.

June 6, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  14. Grace

Every single one! My class ALWAYS laughs at them :)

June 6, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
  15. Grace

All of them? How could I choose? :)

June 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
  16. Lul

The best pun would have to be when there was that girl that made a dress out of soda cans and then Carl said can she soda

June 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  17. Sophie

My favorite pun of the year is ,"It's time to go meow!" The meow replaces now. (I love cats)

June 6, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  18. LILY

I enjoyed the puns form the episode with the bear swimming in the backyard pool. All I wonder is how they come up with the puns. They all are so funny.

June 6, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  19. Brittney :-)

I think that all the pun are good I don't think I could of come up with any puns at all.
    P.S You rock Carl

June 6, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Christina

You are totally right!:)

June 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  20. Areba

My favorite pun was the one from the video about the girl who made her prom dress from those soda can tops. I liked it when you said " she obviously knows how to sew duh ( sew duh replaces soda.)" I thought it was really funny.

June 6, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  21. gem

meow

June 6, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  22. Esther

I liked the ones about the airplane yesterday the best. I did not like today's puns at all.

June 6, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
  23. Rebecca

The worst pun was when Carl was talking about a guy living on a plain and then he said, "we don't want to look plain". Ugh.

June 6, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  24. CJ

Carl really did pretty good with the prom at the dock news. He wasn't walking the plank. LOL!

June 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  25. Anastasia

I don't laugh at the puns but mrs. Jops seems to love them:)

June 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  26. Angelito

All puns are really funny.How can I choose?

June 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  27. Christina

I liked today's stuff especially how that death baby could hear and how he reacted when he heard his mothers voice.it was amazing.I also liked the swap o matic it was cool an interesting that you can swap,donate,or receive stuff.This was a awesome show today:) !

June 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  28. Irene

To be honest in the first time I saw student news I thought it will be boring but how Carl does the news with a smile it makes me want to see more of CNN student news. GO CARL!!!!!!!!!!!

June 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  29. Jessica

I like all of your puns! You cat to be kitten me right meow!

June 6, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
  30. Jeremiah

I'm sorry but most of the puns I heard I didn't get it at all and some I just don't like, u need work to do

June 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  31. Jeremiah

I'm sorry but most of the puns I heard I didn't get it at all and some I just don't like, u need work to do also the only one who probably gets your puns is my teacher Mrs. Jops

June 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  32. Jada

My favorite pun is the one about the girl who made her prom dress out of soda can tops and the one when the baby was deaf and he heard his moms voice and started to laugh.

June 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  33. Sam

This cat ain't kitten around.

June 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  34. Angelito

I want to watch the new spider-Man movie but what about Spider-cat.

June 6, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
  35. Amy

I like the one the kid that when he heard his moms voice he was so sirprized.

June 6, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  36. Joe

"we will seed you there" april 17 funniest thing ever

June 6, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  37. William

the puns of all time were the ones about the bear. the worst were the ones about the backflipping cat.

June 6, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
  38. Lizzie

Dear caral I like the one where you said The dogs ate the Puns I think that was the funniest of all the puns you said carl

June 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
  39. Liam

Sometimes i feel alone in class because no one ever gets your puns except me and my teacher! And i like all of your puns! i have been out of school for 2 weeks now and im still watching CNN student news at home. Keep up the awesome work Carl!!

June 7, 2012 at 4:25 am |
  40. celestyn

Seriously, with no exaggeration, your puns are all awesome and so are you!!!
    How can you leave me and all of the cnn student news fans and go away ?!
    Please come back soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon.
    Or I'll call to cnn headquater........ seriously. OK! Bye!

June 7, 2012 at 5:17 am |
  41. Claire

I couldn't pick the best pun because i liked all of them haha :) Go Carl!!!

June 7, 2012 at 7:03 am |
  42. Gabe

I just think there all funny. So in class after you say the puns I'll start clapping and everyone will stare at me. So can't wait to hear more next year

June 7, 2012 at 7:12 am |
  43. Peter

My favorite pun was when Carl was talking about a hot tub on a boat. Then he said, "We've got to go now before you jacuzzi me of watering down the puns." After that he actually said, "I like that one." Pun on, Carl, pun on.

June 7, 2012 at 7:46 am |
  44. Black

I like them they are funny

June 7, 2012 at 8:50 am |
    • Choi

wait a second ths he just said that he will be back from time to time?

June 8, 2012 at 8:51 am |
  45. Rachel

I can't decide. There all so cool! But I love the pun counter! Bye Carl!

June 7, 2012 at 10:26 am |
  46. Reed

I believe all puns are a form of cruel and unusual torture.

June 7, 2012 at 11:17 am |
  47. natasha

I think that the puns make the show a little more interesting because even though you know the puns are coming you never know what the puns are going to be until they're said. So I've got to say that I feel neutral about it, I don't like any specific one(s) over any of the others but I don't dislike any more then any other either

June 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Jahnavi

Hey natasha I kind of agree with you too but haven't really heard any yet though

June 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  48. Evan

I think that I'm feline fine and ready for summer but before I go I look back at the previous year. A few of my classmates that sit behind me hate the puns and I can always expect to hear sighing at the end of each episode of CNN student news and for that we thank you.

June 7, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  49. samantha

i like same of the puns

June 7, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
  50. Chris

I think that the worst pun was when he said " we don't want to look plain"

June 7, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
  51. James

I am sorry Carl, but I do not like any of your puns in general. In fact, my class counts how many puns you say each day of the week! It really helps when there is a pun counter...

June 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
    • Tabatha

word up

June 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • chris and ryan

does it really matter how many puns carl does

June 11, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
  52. Caleb

I have no favorite puns, but without them, there would be no reason to watch CNN Student News. Also, those are the most puns that I heard in a year, and another year of puns, and I would have a reason to see how many puns people can make.

June 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
  53. Keeler

While all the puns were "doggone-Good," the favorite one would be "Lady and the "Tramp' oline" although I can't wait to see how you "bounce" into next year's puns, and "spring" into the "fall" CNN news!

June 7, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  54. Amanda

Though I do not especially pay any attention to Carl's puns, I pretty much like the epic fails. as for my liknig, I laugh at people who don't make it work out that well. He has an epic fail on all of them.

June 7, 2012 at 4:58 pm |

Almost every single pun is awesome! They're really funny...I love how it corresponds with the before you go...like "We will TURTALLY be back tomorrow!"

June 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
  56. Wilhelm

Your puns are all pretty good.

June 7, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
  57. Sarah

I think they are OK but they could use some work.

June 8, 2012 at 8:07 am |
  58. Mark

I like horses

June 8, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  59. jade

I dont really care for puns. So I don't have a favorite.

June 8, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  60. Rachel

"It's a dog eat dog world out there." (:

June 8, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  61. Lauren

I don't have a favorite or a least favorite. I've enjoyed all of Carl's puns! In my oppinion, they are all good. My whole
    class thinks so. We watch "CNN Student News" every day in my third block social studies class. We try to never miss an episode. And when we do, it really drives us nuts, especially the boys...

June 10, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
  62. Colin

One of my favorite puns that I like is a Biblical pun. Someone asked me, "How did Moses prepare his tea?" I said, "Hebrews it."

June 10, 2012 at 11:26 pm |
  63. No-one

Ok I started watching this near the end of the school year. Did all the episodes have puns or no?

June 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  64. Justin

I think your jokes are from my book at home!

June 11, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  65. Joseph :p

I think your jokes are very funny and I laugh so much I fall of my chair!

June 11, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  66. Laura

I always laugh at your puns. They are cheesy, however I think that in class someone needs to laugh. What's the fun if you can't appreciate all sense of humor? My teacher always cracks a quick pun after yours, sometimes even a little more clever that I wish you could hear! No body can beat your puns, after all, a good pun is it's own re-word!

June 11, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
  67. chris and ryan

both my brother and i thought you had a pretty "chessy" pun about the military training mice to detect bombs in war

June 11, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
  68. Matt

your puns were funny but they were random but for the most part they were good like the hot tub one that was flat out awsome.

June 12, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
  69. Kraft

you are the greatest CARL i love ALL YOUR PUNS and i am your biggest fan i have POSTERS OF YOU IN MY ROOM well pictures turned into posters Keep up the Puns

June 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
  70. Jahnavi

I haven't really heard of your puns lately but I'm watching the show for a very long time. I really like puns so due to me I think your puns will be OK but not as great. I will still like it. A lot of people in my school also is watching CNN Student News and they have told me your puns are funny so I can't wait to hear them.

June 14, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
  71. Lily

I'm so sorry carl , but generally, your puns were not that funny.
    but your a nice anchor with a smile on your face.

June 15, 2012 at 8:10 am |
  72. Matthew

Some of the best were when you said "they would have to file a BATHING SUIT" and "we BEAR-ly" have any more time.

June 15, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  73. Kimberly

hey Carl THANK YOU FOR TELL such about that world

June 22, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  74. Madison

I loved the pun about the sticky situation (when the game maker people put the sticky notes together to make life size images of cartoon characters)!!!!! You, Carl Azuz, are amazing at doing your job and making kids learn but in a fun style!!! :) Thanks for a wonderful year see you next year!!!

Love,
    Madison

June 30, 2012 at 12:29 am |
  75. amyitis

i think the puns are really interesting!i look forward to your new shows!

July 9, 2012 at 3:50 am |
  76. derritt

not sorry your puns are really stupid you really need to work on them allot more
    your not so big fan
    derritt

July 10, 2012 at 2:12 am |
  77. alexa

I think at the end Carl makes some cheesy puns, and my class sometimes laughs or sometimes groan, all we know is that they are cheesy puns!!! :-p

July 17, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
  78. Kathy

Oh i just loooove Carl's puns!! you rock carl!! :p

July 19, 2012 at 8:24 am |
  79. Shirleen

If you're hungry for more headlines, ....Dish it up tomorrow. See you spoon. HAHA...:)

July 23, 2012 at 9:51 am |
  80. Tim

Punds are better than school working. Ha Ha!

August 6, 2012 at 8:03 am |
  81. Jariel

My favorite: It's a dog eat dog world out there. XD

August 11, 2012 at 6:05 pm |