.
April 10th, 2012

Speaking Your Mind?

The Miami Marlins suspended Manager Ozzie Guillen for five games after his controversial comments about former Cuban dictator Fidel Castro. A college law professor says Guillen was within his rights to say what he did. "The problem," says the professor, "is he's in Miami." Watch our Wednesday program to understand why Miami's Cuban community is particularly sensitive about Castro.

The anger caused by Guillen's words seems to be about where he made his comments, just as much as what those comments were. It raises the question, just because you CAN say something, SHOULD you?

Jordan Bienstock, Writer

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. braxton

I think he should be able to say what he wants to say. And if somebody dose not like what he is saying then they can just tell him not suspend him for five games.

April 11, 2012 at 11:06 am |
  2. Derek

i think that if they don't want to hear it they shouldn't if they do want hear than they should but say it in a nicer way so they aren't offended .

April 11, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  3. Dawson

I say Ozzie Guillen or any body should be able to speak their minds about Castro. I understand they are sensitive about Castro, but I think they should be a loud to speak their minds without getting a consequence.

April 11, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  4. Angie

I don't think that just because you can say something, that you should say it. If everyone said everything that came to their mind first, there would be a lot of problems. Many people would get hurt, and there be a lot of controversy.

April 11, 2012 at 11:10 am |
  5. Chris

Just because you can say something, doesn't mean you should. For example, you can say, "I don't like the president," but you can't go around saying that in public; he's in a position of power and deserve respect. It's rude.

April 11, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  6. Vetiburg

I think it would be ok if he's speaking of his mind, but next time he should think about what he says before he says it.

April 11, 2012 at 11:17 am |
  7. Kyle

I think that you should be able to say something but if it will affend someone then you should not say it at all.

April 11, 2012 at 11:27 am |
  8. Ben

I think this situation illustrates that Freedom of Speech is disappearing. Any USA citizen should be able to say what they want whenever they want, but they should keep in mind that they might suffer some unnecessary consequences.

April 11, 2012 at 11:27 am |

I think you should be able to say what you want, but in certain situations you should keep your comments to yourself

April 11, 2012 at 11:29 am |
  10. Kyra

Everybody has their right to speech but that doesn't mean it is always nice

April 11, 2012 at 11:29 am |
  11. Amy

I think you should say what you want to say,but when you are a person in the public eye and say something that is going to offend people, you should be prepared to have less people like you.

April 11, 2012 at 11:29 am |
  12. Isaac

I think that people should be able to say what they want because that is one of the reasons that people immigrate here.

April 11, 2012 at 11:29 am |
  13. Chris

In the film "A league of Their Own" Tom Hanks famously said, "there is no crying in baseball." Evidently there is no freedom of speech either. This suspension is MLB's pitiful attempt to avoid an economic boycott of one of its products and sets a terrible precedent. Curt Shilling once encouraged fans to vote for President Bush when he played for Boston, one of the biggest democratic cities in America. Nobody called for his firing or suspension. Perhaps the people of Miami could learn a lesson from the people of Beantown.

April 11, 2012 at 11:30 am |
  14. khalifa

I think that you should have a freedom of speech. and if you can say something you shouldn't say anything because you don't know what will happen or what the consequences will be.

April 11, 2012 at 11:33 am |
  15. marquise

You have the Right to speak your mind but you also have to Respect and know that what your going to say is going to hurt the people's feelings or offend them.

April 11, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  16. sabrinna

i think that if its freedom of speech then say whatever you want. you shouldnt get in trouble because they should of never called it freedom of speech. freedom means free to say whatever

April 11, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  17. casiana

I think it really all depends on what you say and how you say it.
    Sure, I would understand if you think that if something looks messed up or your speaking up with your fellow man.
    Just make sure what you say makes an impact.

April 11, 2012 at 11:36 am |
  18. Justin

He should not have said what he did but then again, the first ammendment does say freedom of speech.

April 11, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  19. Renee

I think he has a freedom of speech, and that if he wanted to say that then he couldve.

April 11, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  20. Sophia

I can see why people wouldnt like what he said but, he should have freedom of speech! Maybe he made a mistake that he cant take back but, you learn from your mistakes!!!

April 11, 2012 at 11:38 am |
  21. Nathan

He sould not say something like that because he gets a lot of people mad. He does have the right so he should not have gotten suspended. I definently wouldn't have said that but he did.

April 11, 2012 at 11:38 am |
  22. Brady

I think it was an awful thing to say, but i dont think he should've go punnished for it because we do have freedom of speech in the United States of America

April 11, 2012 at 11:39 am |
  23. Autumn

I think that Ozzie Guillen has a right to say it, but he should not have been surprised to see that many people were angry with him.

April 11, 2012 at 11:39 am |
  24. Nathan

I think that since the first aamendment is you have freedom of speech , you can say your opinions anytime. Even if its something bad about someone.

April 11, 2012 at 11:39 am |
  25. Laily

I am glad he said that because we should not hide something we should speak out the truth it is the first admenment but I wouldn't say that in a place where cubians live.

April 11, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  26. Madison

I think that he should've not said it because it's wrong. Yes, he does have a right to say it but do you really want to say it to a dictator? Remember that saying... THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!

April 11, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  27. Nathan

It wasn't write but it also wasn't totally wrong, it was his oppinion and it was affecsive, but he shouldn't have been suspended if he has his own right to speak and give his oppinion.

April 11, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  28. alex

although he has a right to say what he wants he should think about how other peoples feelings will be effected

April 11, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  29. Katherine

I think he should get suspended because he should have thought of what he should say before he say it

April 11, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  30. danella

I think that he does have a right to say it BUT I dont think its right to say it. Some peolpe probly were effected by this comment and some people dont think it's right because he is a dictator.Any ways I think he had a right but I still he should have kept that to himself.

April 11, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  31. Abigail

Sometimes you can say it, sometimes dont say it because sometimes it can get poeple angry and sometimes sad.

April 11, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  32. Helen

I think he should have freedom of speech, and he should be able to say anything he wants.

April 11, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  33. Jennifer

I think that no matter where you are you should have Freedom Of Speech.
    It says it right in the First Amendment.It does not have to effect your big "life" and career in baseball.

April 11, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  34. Ruben

I think Its kinda disrespectfull for the people who left Cuba to have freedom here in America, plus he is a baseball manager, he shouldnt be worried about Castro , he should be worried about his baseball team

April 11, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  35. Thomas

Everyone has the right to say whatever they want to, but Ozzie shouldnt have said what he said.

April 11, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  36. Brittney

I think Ozzie Guillen had the right to say it because everyone has freedom of speech, but if he new that Miami was sensitive about Castro, he should not have said it at all.

April 11, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  37. Matthew

I think it varies on whether you SHOULD or should not. You can comment.........but should you? He has lived in that area for at least a couple of years so he should know what the people will react to. My opinion on him being suspended for 5 days? LOOK AT THE CONSTITUTION! You have the freedom of speech! We should be worried about more important things that actually affect the whole of United States than a BASEBALL manager that likes an unfavorable man.

April 11, 2012 at 11:43 am |
  38. Taryn

If you dont have something nice to say don't say it!! It is true if what you are going to say will hurt someone don't say it.

April 11, 2012 at 11:43 am |
  39. Erica

I believe that he did have the right to state his own opinion, but, Ozzie should be taking consideration about what he says and where he says it. Although we do have the right to speak, we should know when it is appropriate or not.

April 11, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  40. Jasmine

Well in my opinion is that if he has something bad to say then he shouldnt say it in public....and im glad he apologize,and how do u know hes truly sorry? Thats my question..he might be faking it just to get back in the game!

April 11, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  41. Jay

Even though Guillen has the right of free speech I do not think he should have said the things he did. Many Cubans have suffered because of Fidel Castro and they despise him. It is going to be hard for Ozzie to gain the forgiveness of the Cuban-American fanbase.

April 11, 2012 at 11:45 am |
  42. Olivia

I think that what he said was wrong. I know that we have freedom of speech and that he did have the right to say that but he should've thought of what he was saying before he said. Remeber the saying "If you dont have anything good to say don't say it." I know that some people might agree with him but where he coaches and lives is not the place where people would agree.

April 11, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  43. Cameron

Its matter of opinion and im glad that he has his and likes to share but there are boundries of what you can say because that was rude even though it says you have the rights to say what you want in the Constitution.

April 11, 2012 at 11:48 am |
  44. Liam

Yes it is your opinion you get to say what you say. What if you said you like mustard and they get sad for not liking it. No

April 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  45. alex

i think that he should not have said the things because if you dont have somthing nice to say dont say anything at all.

April 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  46. Isabella and Mallory

We think he should be able to say what he thinks, as long as it isn't hurting someone's feelings.

April 11, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  47. Carter

You shouldn't say something just because you CAN because it might upset some people.

April 11, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  48. Phoebe

If he has the Freedom of speech, Then let him say what he wants to. This contoversial debate is just a waste of time, that was the past when Fidel Castro, who was the leader until 2008. Get over it Cubans that live in MIami.

April 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
  49. blake

No, I don't think he should have spoke his mind because it was rude and he should have just thought instead of saying it. He should get suspended because he said it out loud.

April 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  50. Desiree

No, because it could cause protest, and hurt somebodies feelings. Its just not worth a problem.

April 11, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
  51. andrew

No, he may have the right to say it but it was mean and rude. He should not have said it, he may have hurt peoples feelings, and he should have just stayed in his head.

April 11, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
  52. michael

speaking your mind is good to do to just get off your chest in some cases but not this on he should have just keep it to himself.

April 11, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  53. Nathan

Ozzie Guillen Was at the white sox but he had some problems there but now if hes making fun of Fidel Castro at Miami who cares i mean what if Fidel Castro said mean stuff to Ozzie Guillen. I think that if people have a problem with that. I think that Ozzie Guillen has every right to say what he said.

April 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
  54. Katie

If you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all, mister.

April 11, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  55. Andrew

You should not say something just because you can. Like when you were taught as a kid if you have nothing nice to say dont say it at all.

April 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  56. Derian

Just because you have something to say doesn't mean you have to.

April 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  57. Alyssa

I think that he should not have said anything because I think if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Also just because you can say something doesn't mean you should. If you have to debate if you should say it you probably should not say it.

April 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  58. Brandon

I dont think that he should have said anything because it is disrespectful to the people that have been affected by Castro.

April 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  59. Andre

i believe that if you really want to speak your mind go for it. but you need to know what position you would be in after adressing that statement.

April 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  60. Logan

People have their own sayings like if i get mad say stuff that i don't mean so he had to say it if he was mad.

April 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  61. Bailey

In Guillen's case, he should've been thinking about it. Being a manager for a professianal sports team in Miami where many people are affected by Castro, he risked what he could say without causing damage. In my own words, If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

April 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  62. Russell

no he should ceep his mouth closed and if its not good to say be qiut

April 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  63. trent

i think you have the right to speak but it would depend on the time, place, and subject you are talking about

April 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  64. Bailey

if u cant say anything nice dont say anything at all

April 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  65. Allison

I dont think you should always say things that come to your mind. It could be very offensive to that person you say it to. Just think, if someone say that to you, would that offend you?

April 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  66. Tre

What The Marlins manager said was perfectly fine.

April 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  67. Skylar

even if u can dont say somthing if its not nice

April 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  68. Nicholas

You should be able to share your voice. If you don't have any nice to say, then don't say it at all.

April 11, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • nicholas

not to say what

April 13, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
  69. kelby

If you cant say anything nice, dont say any thing at all.

April 11, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  70. kelby

If you cant say anything nice, dont say any thing at all. so dont say something offensivly if it could hurt someone.

April 11, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  71. Emma-Lee

I think that just because you can say something doesn't mean you should. That's like saying "I HAVE a knife, so I SHOULD stab someone." It doesnt work.

April 11, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  72. Dalton

Just because you have something to say to someone, even if you know it's wrong, doesn't mean that you should. In kindergarten we learned to think before we speak, and this is a perfectly good example of why we shouldn't always speak our mind. If you don't have anything nice to say to someone, keep it to yourself.

April 11, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
  73. Abdel

Saying something when you can is all apart of free speech, and free speech allows people to let their ideas flow. No one should not be punished for letting their ideas come out, the free flowing of ideas is what made this country.

April 11, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  74. Cody

We have a freedom of speech so we can speak our minds, but it doesn't mean we should abuse that right by using it to say hurtful or ill intended things about other country leaders, or anyone at all for that matter.

April 11, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
  75. Alexus

I think that people need to keep their comments to themselves. That's what my mom tells me, keep your comments to yourself and you don't have to speak it. Even though it is right to speak your mind, somethings just can't be said because it can come out the wrong way.

April 11, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
  76. Rafael

It just depends on what you are talking about.

April 11, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  77. Ezekiel

I think you should speak because it could go into a problem and problems lead to a fight.

April 11, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  78. Alan

I think you should speak because its good to say what your thinking but sometimes its not good to say your opinion because you can start problems to.

April 11, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  79. Raul

Yes, because every ones opinion counts.

April 11, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  80. Christian

What if you say your opinion and you may get in trouble and if you say in their country you can get town in jail and get kill.

April 11, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  81. Luisa

Yes you should speak your mine because what if somebody does something you don't like

April 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  82. kierah

i think that we should speak our mind because people need to know the truth about stuff instead of lies

April 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  83. Beronica

Yes and no because you can get in trouble if you do and yes because you people want to know your opinion.

April 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  84. Isidor

No because you'll get in a big fight.

April 11, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
  85. Joana

Yes , because you have to give your opinion and because your opinion matters.

April 11, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
  86. Jeremy

Yes you should be able to say whatever you want about whatever you want it's the first amendment freedom of speech so he shouldn't have even been fined for it.

April 11, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  87. EDDIE

I think that if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything

April 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  88. KassieandMaddie

We think that even though you have freedom of speech, doesn't mean you can say anything you want. You could end up offending someone and there beliefs if you aren't careful.

April 11, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  89. Nicolette

I think Ozzie Guillen shouldnt of said those comments because many Cuban people live in Miami. Ozzie should have not been surprised with the number of people he had made angry.

April 11, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  90. Erin

He was completely missunderstood. Yes, he should have been thoughtful of where he was and maybe he should have just STOPPED and THOUGHT about his comment for a moment, but seriously? It's his right to say whatever he wanted and everybody got all up on his case because everybody feels the need to overreact instead of actually LISTENING to what's being said. He respects the guy for pushing through and keeping strong, not for being a communist dictator. Get the facts!

April 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm |

I think it was wrong to say that he loved Castro, exspecially since he was in Miami. But I think he shouldn't of gotten suspended because his comments had nothing to do with his job. Also he does have freedom of sppech even though the people didn't like what he said.

April 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  92. fatima

i dont think he should have not been supended for saying something that is not that bad .he didnt kill or hurt anyone so he could say wat he wants.

April 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  93. Aviv

Sometimes in life, I think that it's wiser to be quiet and keep your thoughts to yourself. You also shouldn't be so quick to share your opinions in an environment that might not take your views kindly. All in all, I think that Ozzie Guillen was out of place in talking about Fidel Castro, but he shouldn't be punished according to the First Amendment.

April 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  94. Sam

People might disagree with Guilen but I think people have the right to state your opinnion. If that is what Guillen thinks then he has the right to say it. I dont agree with his opinnion but I dont think he should have been punished for his opinnion on someone in history.

April 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  95. Olivia

Although I can see why he said what he said. But they shoul not take it out on hi career. Thats not fair he has freedom of speah and he has the right to exersise it. People should respect that and since he apoliged his suspension should be lifted.

April 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  96. Branden

No everybody CAN say words but if you say somthing wrong it should be punished

April 11, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  97. Vivian

I think he had the right to say that but he shouldn't have. I thought that it was kind of rude, when he had nothing to do with Fidel Castro. It was uncalled for, but he had the right to and it was his opinion so no one should judge him for what he thinks. He wasn't trying to insult anyone he did say that he respected Fidel Castro. So is he really insluting anyone?We all have our opinons now and then, we can't help it its what be believe in.

April 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  98. Stephanie

I think Ozzie Guillen had a right to say that. I dont agree with his thoughts, but I think getting suspended is unfair. After all, everyone has freedom of speech.

April 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  99. Nicole

People are making a big deal out of nothing because as the first ammenment states... everybody has freedom of speech. I dont agree with his punishment because he shouldn't be punished for something that didn't have anything to do wwith his team.

April 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  100. Edwin

this issue i have mixed feelings about. i mean, he shouldn't have said that because he doesn't know how bad the people from cuba had it. Although he shouldn't have said that doesn't mean that he can't. i really think he has the right to speak his mind i mean the things he said could much things worse about fidel castro. thats all i have to say about this crazyness

April 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  101. Lexi

Well, from seeing what he actually said, I think he means that, if we forget he is a communist dictator, and you realize that after decades of people trying to kill him, he is still alive. But, If he is saying that he is a total fan of Castro, than I don't think we should judge his likes. I mean, if there was a fangirl of some other "totally evil" dictator would you suspend her from school? In America, we have the right to pose our opinion, but if you are purposely saying it to get on people's nerves that is, well, that's not really socially accepted, if that makes sense. About the "just because you CAN say something, SHOULD you?" question in general... I am a bit indifferent because it really depends on what. I am guessing that we are in example of this "Oh so tantalizing topic", but if you are just flaming or being a "troll" then I don't think you should say it, but if you are sincerely posing your opinion or offering constuctive critisism then that is okay... The answer to that question, in my opinion, is it depends on what you're saying and to who.

April 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  102. Kiana

I believe that he should not have been suspended, yet he should have entitled his opinion to himself. I do agree with the fact that Thomas Jefferson wrote about 'Freedom of Speech' and that is in not illegal to speak your opinion, but why would you say it if it was going to become such a issue? Honestly, It was taken more seriously, then it should have. Everybody has a different view of certain issues, so why become upset over it. He does have the right to speak his mind. Atleast he has made an apology to the public more specifically, Cubans. Also, Suspended of baseball? What did this comment have anything to do w/ baseball? Absolutely NOTHING. I still do believe he should have not spoken of this topic in the first place, but since he did, It shouldn't be taken so seriously, and He shouldn't be punished so badly because of it, What about the murderers who get away w/crime, and are not being inspected? Meanwhile they're getting upset over his opinion. I believe that is just ridiculous, I'm sure this will fade eventually. Thank you for listening to this comment, have a blessed day.

April 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  103. Geronimo

Yeah, nobody should be NOT allowed to speak their mind. It just makes sense for someone to speak their mind. It's not a crime, is it?

April 11, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  104. clay

i think it's are right to say what's on are mind

April 11, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  105. Gabe

I think just because you have the right to say something doesn’t mean you should say it. When you are talking just to a friend then it would be ok, but not if you are talking to someone who plans on publicizing what the conversation was about. Especially if you are someone who gets publicized as much as Ozzie Guillen does. Ozzie Guillen does have a history of being a “hot head”, some of those reactions came when he was the manager of the Chicago White Sox. If you are not sure if something you say is going to affect someone, then don’t say. You never can tell for certain what people’s reactions will be.

April 11, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  106. Kenny

i personally belive that he had rights to say what he wanted. he just wasnt thinking and forgot where he was.

April 11, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  107. Mazen

I think what he said doesn't matter. I think this because people of have the freedom of speach.

April 11, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  108. Robbie

Who cares if hes in Miami? He has the right to say what he said. He is a great manager and people need to lighten up.

April 11, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  109. Jahrron

I thought this country was supposed to be free. Freedom of speech. It doesn't matter where he said it. Unless Florida isn't part of the United States, we can say what we want, when we want.

April 11, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  110. Kyle

They should let him say what he wants. Doesn't the first amendment allow freedom of speech. They should not suspend him for what he said. If he respects him that should be okay.

April 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  111. Troy

I dont unhderstand why he would "love" someone who did things that arent right.

April 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  112. Daniel

I dont think that it really matters that he said that. Besides he only admires the fact that he's still here and people have been tring to kill him for 60 years.

April 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  113. Myles

I know what he said was wrong and Castro was not a role model but he has freedom of speech and knowone can take that away from him .

April 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  114. Ahmad

He has the right to say anything about another country because, maybe ohter countries talk about our president. It is his opinion so he can say whatever he wants. One problem is that why would he be talking about that whent he should be talking about baseball.

April 11, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  115. Dominic

He does have the right to say what he said, but he shouldn't have said it. He shouldn't have been punished either because people offend other people by things they say but they usually don't get in trouble. I think he should only be yelled at by his boss and get warned not to do it again

April 11, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  116. moe

I dont know i think it wasen't up to the team sence he has freedom of speech................but i agree castro is a horible man and no one should repect him he did too many bad thing and every one should hate him like me :).

April 11, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  117. Jocelyn

Ozzie Guillen had the right to say that! We have a freedom of speech so that means he can say that. His suspension is not fair to it is not like he said he disliked the Cuban Dictator he said he LOVED him!!!!!!! It is Ozzies right so his suspension is messed up there was no point in it!!

April 11, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
  118. Russell

I think that you shouldn't say what ever you want because it could hurt someone. Gullian had the freedom of speech and he should have thought about what he said about Fidel Castro before he said it. Miami loves Castro and if Gullian knew that i think he wouldn't have said that.

April 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  119. Robbie

I think that he should be able to still play. He said what he wanted to say and I think its not fair at all.

April 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  120. Amber

No. You never know how someone may take what you say. You could really offend someone without even trying. Think about what you say before you say it. You may mean it in the most harmless way but some people may take it very offensively.

April 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  121. Chazz

People say offensive thing to me and I take offense to it but dosnt mean you can do anything to him cause we have freedom of speech

April 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
  122. Tesa

I think that you have every right to say whats on your mind, but you shouldn't say something just because you can.

April 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  123. Rose

I believe that you should say what you think, even if someone is offended. We have the freedom of speech, so why not use it? Why not say what's on your mind? If someone is offended then that's their problem, not yours. We all have our own opinion on things. If you believe something and you can say it, then you should say it. What would be the point in having freedom of speech if no one uses it?

April 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  124. Daviontae

Yes, you should be able to say something. Because if you dont' you'll never be heard. But if you do, or even before you do, just sure you say the right thing at the right time.

April 11, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  125. Siena

I think you should watch what you say but you don`t always have to say it in a harsh way. But you need to be honest but can still hold your own opinion.

April 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  126. Warren

Sometimes people need to hear the truth even when it hurts. But we should not speak our minds just to be a bully to others.

April 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  127. Zoë

Yes you 'can' say what you want but you might want think it over before reporting it to TIME magazine. Still, things can be taken the worng way and in any event he seems pretty sorry for what happened, misunderstanding or not.

April 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  128. Marisa

I don't agree with what Guillen said but i don't think that he should be suspended since we have Freedom of Speech as Americans. I also believe that with these comments Guillen has made, he is not being a positive role model to the Marlins members.

April 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  129. cheese

i think that people shouldn speak their mind because it is a free country and they can speak what they want

April 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  130. Matthew

I think that people should speak their minds because the people could say either if the people like Fidel Castro as a person and the Miami Marlins should not suspend Ozzie Guillen for saying what he wants to say but it is mean.

April 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  131. trevor

i dont think people should say whats on their mind because they might have somthing mean to say

April 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  132. Logan

I think that it is okay to speak your mind. However you must choose carefully how why when and where to say it. We have freedom of speach but it should not be taken for granted.

April 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  133. sophie

ever heard of freedom of speech?we are allowed to say what we want to and hey he said that he didnt mean it.i dont think its fair to suspend him for saying what he wants to

April 11, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  134. JUAN

i think that they should not suspend the manager from the baseball team marlins because the baseball palyers may need him.i think that the baseball players gonna no manager any more or practice.

April 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  135. Emily

It's okay to speak your mind, but do it in the right place and the right time. Saying that you admire Fidel Castro while in Miami isn't.

April 11, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  136. Kaylee

In America we passed a law that said we have freedom of speech. Have you ever heard of it? Well I think that he should be able to say whatever he wants to say. If you don't belive me ask someone or look in the Constitusion. But just because you can say something doesn't mean that you should say it. Because when you say some things it can be hurtfull to people.

April 11, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  137. koolaid

i think that you should speak what is on your mind. the reason is beacause we live in america and it callled freedom of speech.

April 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  138. Sarah

I think that Guillen had a right to speak his mind, but he probably admired Castro's strength more than he admired Castro's actions. I believe this entire thing was a misunderstanding.

April 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  139. Jake

Ozzie really should've been smarter, but in general do what your parents have told you. If it's not nice don't say it. Every parent says this to their children. Even if you really hate the person, that doesn't make it right to say wrong things about them. Our Constitution says we have freedom of speech, but I would assume they would like us to say the RIGHT thing in the right time. Because we can state our opinion about the President, doesn't mean we state our opinion about everyone. If you wind up saying something wrong to a person, or about a person, in Ozzie's case, you should apologize and move on with your life. Overall don't say wrong things about the people you dislike because, just because you don't like them doesn't mean other people do(In Castro's case I don't think anyone likes him, but you get the point about the non-dictators of the world).

April 11, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  140. -Danny

Freedom of speech is very important in the U.S, but I think we should try to be more careful about the things we say, because they can offensive to others, although I think we should all try to forgieve the Miami Marlins mananger from saying what he said.

April 11, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  141. John

You should be able to speak your mind you have the right to.what he did was legal he is using his freedom of speech .
    Which every one uses every day like if you dis like something be should be honored to use it that's why America is different from other nations

April 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  142. Carrie

Our constution says we have freedom of speach, so wouldn't it be unconstitounal to suspend someone for speaking their mind? I think it was outragious to suspend him for using his rights no matter what for even though saying that was uncalled for.

April 11, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  143. Will

I believe it was an offense to many. Even though he was punished it is the first right in our Bill Of Rights: The freedom of speech, religion, assembly, press and petition.

April 11, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
  144. Richard

I think he shouldn't get suspended, isn't freedom of speech in the Bill of Rights. If he were in a diffrent state would he have gotten suspended.

April 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
  145. Chris

I think that he shouldn't have said that because a lot of Cubans live in Miami and they might get really offended by this comment he made about Castro. He's no even Cuban. And plus this has nothing to do with Baseball at all. The Cubans came to America for freedom of speech but just because u can say something doesn't mean u should but u know what they say the truth hurts.

April 11, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
  146. Riley

I don't see a problem... even under the first amendment it says freedom of speech. Plus he is right. It is impressive that he lasts 60 years without being killed by the rest of the world. The question I have is if he wasn't Cuban, would he get fired?

April 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
  147. Lake

I think that Ozzie has his opinion even if people don't like it it's his not theirs.

April 11, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
  148. KATELYN

I think this is weird all he said was that he liked him.He didn't brag about him or say how amazing he is. he was just speaking his mind, freedom of speech.

April 11, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
  149. Lilly

I think you should be aloud to because you can say what you want and they cant Take that away from you it is a free country.

April 11, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
  150. Raphael

You shouldn't say something to raise the question.

April 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
  151. Brianna

I think if you have to say something say it because it is a free country and people do have the right o say there opinions.

April 11, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
  152. Ted

I think the coach has his rights to say what he said. What's wrong about talking your feelings or thoughts? It's only that he has a different point of view from the others.

April 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
  153. Amy

Well, he's in America, isn't he? And American people have freedom of speech, right? We also have freedom of religion. If we can have freedom of religion, I don't understand why we can't respect different people. I think he has the right to do so.
    I understand that dictators are terrible, and I understand why Communism is bad, and I'm not saying I support either of those. But I think that just because he says something (even though it does offend people) doesn't mean he should be suspended. If it's a constant thing, then punishment is in order.

April 11, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  154. Nicole

You can say whatever you want. That's what the First Amendment says. I think that in this situation, though, Guillen should have kept his opinion to himself. He probably knew that Miami's Cuban community was sensitive and shouldn't have said it. Just because you have the ability to do something doesn't mean you should do it every single time.

April 11, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
  155. Kenyatta

No, you shouldn't say it. With you saying what ever you said, might not affect you but it could effect someone else

April 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
  156. tamera

i understand you want to speak your mind but every comment comes back with a respone its like punishment you can
    make a mark but that doesnt mean you will get away with it all the time

April 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
  157. Ben

Ozzie Guillen's comments about Fidel Castro shouldn't have gotten in the way of his career. He was just exercising his right to freedom of speech guaranteed under the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and therefore, should not be punished for it.

April 11, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
  158. tamera

IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING ON YOUR MIND YOU SHOULD SAY IT BUT IF YOU KNOW THAT PEOPLE MIGHT MISS UNDERSTAND IT THEN ITS BEST TO FORGET IT AND MOVE ON

April 11, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
  159. Noehl

When you want to say something always think it through clearly first before you say it. You might offend others of what you are discussing about. I'm surprised he just said it to the public!

April 11, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
  160. Jonathan

No, because I might get carried away with it and say whatever i want to say to them

April 11, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
  161. vincent

Since it's a democratic country, we can say something if we want to, but, i personally think we should think twice before saying something in public. For example,if Guillen had been thinking, he wouldn't have been suspended for five games. Just think twice.

April 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
  162. Brendan

I think it was right to speak his mind but if not the truth don't say it at all.

April 11, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
  163. kailee

one they come over to Florda to be free and two you should look at where you are and who you are mainly talking to almost all the people there are Cuban and watch what you say

April 11, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
  164. Jessie

Everybody has the right to say something, but should you? I will say whatever I need to say, but I will always stay faithful to my community.

April 11, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
  165. Annika

I think that if you have something to say that's not nice about someone, don't say it. That's what my mom taught me and I always think before I say it, so it dosn't hurt anyone's feeling's.

April 11, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
  166. Julia

If Ozzie Guillen "loves" him so much I think he should get fired and move to Cuba and kiss his feet.

April 11, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
  167. Weslee

If Ozzie Guillen is an American citizen, He has the right to exercise freedom of speech on American soil, even if what he says is thoughtless or even stupid. As such, his "I love Castro" remark should not require civil or criminal penalties.
    Those whose counter remarks would be "I hate Castro," So long as they're on American soil, would also not require civil or criminal penalties. Freedom, whether for or against a particular subject, is still freedom.

April 11, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
  168. Weslee

The Marlins suspended Ozzie Guillen for a remark he made on American soil. On American soil, he has the freedom of speech, taking him out of the games is like taking away his every day rights!

April 11, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  169. Alivia

I think that you should not always speak your mind,you should keep some things to yourself. If you don't got anything nice to say,then don't say anything at all.

April 11, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  170. Aaron

i believe that in the constitution we have the right to free speech so i dont understand the "big deal" if it says we have the right the why didnt he

April 11, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  171. Kristin

If the topic is urgent, you should speak. If its mean or unnessary, you shouldn't. It's a simple rule to live by.

April 11, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
  172. Ja kyung

If someone in socially low position said that comments, is it likely to have any controversy like that?
    Anyone who has relatively high social position should remember that one has social responsibilities and verbal impacts following one’s social positions as well as having professional skill or knowledge in one’s own field.

April 11, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
  173. Alexis

Just because you can say something doesn't mean you should.... people dont realize how things they say can affect people until they say them. People may take things offensive, you should probably think twice before you say something, and if you dont think its good to say you should probably just keep it to yourself instead of causing problems!

April 11, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
  174. chad

He was misunderstood just because he said he likes him doesn't mean he supported him.The college is right to we have freedom of speech in america but right when u talk about Castro the MLB suspends you for 5 games.That shouldn't be happening here.

April 11, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
  175. myar

i think that its ok to speak your mind but not unless youl know it will hurt alot of people, but it's a free country so we can speak all we want

April 11, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
  176. chino

God made everyone the same so everyone should have the freedom of speech. No one but God can limit or control what other people wants to think or wants to say.

April 11, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
  177. andrew

Every one has an
    opoinion so they shouldn't
    get mad at someone for expressing there opinion

April 11, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
  178. Lake

I think Ozzie should be allowed what he speaks it's his opinion and not anyone's else.

April 11, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  179. Sam

I know in the past he has had a tendency to speak before he thinks about what he says, so I think this punishment is justified. He is also representing his team poorly by saying comments like this that might offend somebody.

April 11, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
  180. Jonathan

I think you should speak your mind all the time. As the first amendment says, we do have the freedom of speech.

April 11, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
  181. Kirstyn

We as U.S. citizens have the right to say whatever we please, however you should always think about what your going to say and what effect your comments will have on yourself and others before you say it.

April 11, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
  182. Betsy

I think that he shouldn't have said that but I also think that them suspending was a little much. We do have freedom of sppech it is just that maybe he needed to think about what he was saying before he said it!

April 11, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
  183. Dylan

No, its just like the classic saying if you don'thave anything nice to say don't say it at all. And in this case Ozzie Guillen insulted many Cuban Immigrants.

April 11, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
  184. Michael

I think that he should be actually glad that he only got suspended for only five games. The punishment could have been a lot worse and I think he has learned his leason.

April 11, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
  185. Isabel

Of course not ! Even if you can say "I hate you" to everyone you meet,you shouldn't really do that;
    And even on this case..I think five games suspension was all right to calm the people down.

April 12, 2012 at 6:06 am |
  186. Jimmy

Well i was brought up in the world with my parents telling me every time I did say something mean. They would tell me if you got nothing nice to say then don't say nothing at all. It was i great way to remember that when i was growing up. So i believe if you had a choice in the matter don't say it.

April 12, 2012 at 6:51 am |
  187. Kira

Personally I feel that Ozzie Guillen has the right to speak on how he feels on the government. He is a Untied citizen as any other and should not be suspended for an opinion he made. I just believe why it was taken so personally is the fact that he is currently living in MIami where a lot of people took that as him criticizing his homeland Cuba.

April 12, 2012 at 8:52 am |
  188. London

I personally don't think that you should be accused of speaking your mind, but at the same time you should know what is right & what's wrong. Some things aren't meant to be heard. If Guillen was gonna speak his mind, he should've done it in the correct place.

April 12, 2012 at 8:53 am |
  189. zakar

Cuba is a communist government which means that nobody can speak out against the government but the USA is a democracy so he can talk about whatever he wants because of the freedom of speech and even if he is in Miami,Miami is still in the USA.

April 12, 2012 at 8:58 am |
  190. Leah

In my opinion, I think that speaking your mind whether or not you can or can't say something, is better then to just keep the comment to yourself !! In this country you have a right to speak your mind whether or not what race you are or even what state you live in. I am an individual who indeed loves to speak her mind !

April 12, 2012 at 9:03 am |
  191. Malikaa...

Well,for my opinion about Mr.Ozzie Guillen comments about former Cuban dictator Fidel Castro,I think he should have the right to speak his mind even when others disagree with the statements he made. At the same time I do understand he said it in the wrong place, maybe if he would have never said it in Miami it wouldn't have been such a problem.

April 12, 2012 at 9:03 am |
  192. Laramey:)

There are many times when you are given the opportunity to speak your mind, but there are some places you just don’t. In high school you may have arguments, but that doesn’t give you any right to go around talking about someone just because you can. Just like those protestors at military funerals, just because you can say something, that is a time and place you don’t. It is respect to the people of the area, there is many times things slip, but for the most part if you have any doubt it is inappropriate keep it to yourself and it is as simple as that.

April 12, 2012 at 9:28 am |
  193. zane

Ozzie Guillen didn’t think it out before he said what he did and now he’s facing not being able to play in 7 games witch is his fault but his not making his team look good by saying things like that about Fidel Castro. If i were a person to decided if someone was to be suspended i wont suspended them for 7 games i would suspended them for the remainder of the season. Maybe Ozzie was upset at Fidel about something he might of said and wasn’t happy about it so he thought of something rude to say about Fidel.

April 12, 2012 at 10:28 am |
    • Jesse

I think that he should keep things like that to himself, I meen go ahead and think it but I wouldn,t say it out loud to people who are sensitive to things like that.

April 12, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Carmen

I think that telling the truth and speaking your opinion is very important. It's sort of like the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would hath them do unto you". My advice is think before you speak, it could hurt someone or even a whole group of people.;)

April 13, 2012 at 8:35 am |
    • nicholas

i know did you know that you cant eat meat in cuba

April 13, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
  194. Pete

The first amendment guarantees us the right to free speech. Perhaps the Founders needed to add a clause in there that said, "but you're responsible for what you say". All your words have effects. You have the right to say something, but then you also need to realize that people have the right to be offended by what you've said. Having the right to do something isn't the same as being right in doing it.

April 12, 2012 at 10:45 am |
  195. Monica

It comes to a certain point where you should know better not to say something but you do have the right say what's o your mind.

April 12, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  196. Abigail

I think that everybody has the right to express their mind in many ways. But if it is really bad then just express your mind another way.

April 12, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  197. MITCHELL

I THINK THAT EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN SAID IS AN OPINION AND EVERYONE SHOULD KEEP THERES TO THEMSELF

April 12, 2012 at 11:15 am |
  198. Reed

I think that it wasn't appropriate for a manger to make snide comments about a world dictator

April 12, 2012 at 11:16 am |
  199. Hailey

People should be able to say what they want....unless is like terrorist type things.

April 12, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • Lee

I think the same thing,but most people I know say what the other person wants them to say so thay don't get mad because their afrid that thay thay will lose a friend.Wich I'v done but I try not to.

April 12, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • jake

why do you have to bring terrorists into this-__-

April 13, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  200. Gaelon

Well, it depends on the situation. If they're are just going to say something rude or condescending then they shouldn't talk. If they are going to say something to stand up for someone then yes, they should speak.

April 12, 2012 at 11:17 am |
  201. Lucien

I think he should be able to say what ever he wants. Freedom of speech, but obviously you shouldn't be saying swear words infront of kids. You can, but you shouldn't. Its all a matter of judgment.

April 12, 2012 at 11:18 am |
  202. Galen

No I don't Believe you should say something just because you can, Because you could hurt someones feelings.

April 12, 2012 at 11:19 am |
  203. Mary

Well im all for speaking your mind, but if your trashing somebody else then you should really shut up.

April 12, 2012 at 11:19 am |
  204. Meghan

I think that it they should have not suspended him, just for speaking his mind, that was a little to much. I think people should be able to speak there mind. Do you think if president Obama were to speak his mind about something he would have gotten suspended for something?

April 12, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  205. Essence

When has it became wrong to state an opinion? I do it all the time.

April 12, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  206. jaylyn

just because u can say what u want does not mean u should. Everyone can say something mean to someone or something but it is not a nice thing to do. Also bad comments and things 2 say should really be keep to yourself.

April 12, 2012 at 11:29 am |
  207. Cal

You definitely have the right to speak your mind. However, if you offend someone, be ready for the backlash.

April 12, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
  208. Juliann

I don't think you should because what you say can really hurt someone. What you say you might not mean and you could lose a friend. Also, what you say might be taken differently. People might think you want to hurt someone you've been friends with your whole life.

April 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
  209. Allie

You should spare your opinion from other people. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. What you say positively or negatively can impact a person's life a lot, so you are better off keeping it to yourself.

April 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • dakota

your right about that i should know about that!!!

April 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  210. Michael

well if you need to say something at least think before you say it.

April 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Anonymous

I agree. It always depends on what you're going to say.

April 13, 2012 at 10:27 am |
  211. Cameron

i say Castro didnt do any thing good and im happy the maniger apoligized and i think its good that he got kicked off for five games

April 12, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  212. Cameron

i think its a goodnthimg the manager got suspended because castro didn't do any thing good and i also think u should think of what u say befor u say it so u dont get in truble

April 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  213. jocove

I love sports, I think he is a great coach some of his feelings should not have been expressed so harshly. He should have thought about what would happen after he said that.

April 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  214. chungsu

he not think before say

April 12, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  215. Lachlan

I think that he is entitled to his opion, even if it is disagreeable. I don't think he should be suspended, because the comment has nothing to do with baseball.

April 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm |

Anybody should have the right to speak his/her mind. It is not a law. Even though I am a Miami Marlins fan, I think Ozzie just crossed the line.

April 12, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  217. CJ

Of course every actions has its advantages and disadvantages. But, it is his opinion and he shouldn't be suspended for having his opinion about someone. The people he affended, were not ment to be affended, but we all have our own opions of someone or something and just because he showed what he thought doesn't mean that he should get in trouble because its his opinion.

April 12, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  218. Kaitlin

It all relates back to that old saying, think before you speak. I agree that he did have every right to say those things, but everyone else also had the right to speak what they thought. Did he really have to say what he did in front of many Cubans in the Miami area, though? Again, this goes back to, think BEFORE you speak. I am glad he apologized after, anyway.

April 12, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
  219. Cameron

I think that you can say anything that you want but you have to deal with the reprocussions>

April 12, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
  220. Keagan :)

The controversy over the suspension of the Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen is in a way pathetic. I personally think this was wrong and irresponsible to the ones who made these charges against Guillen. I think someone needs to show the law that suspended this man where in the Bill of Rights that us Americans have the right to say whatever we want to a certain extent. The certain extent meaning that we can’t say, “hey I’m gonna shoot this person” or “I’m gonna rob this bank.” I don’t care if it’s a state law in Florida that you can’t say what you want.

April 12, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  221. Jessica

I think that everyone has the right to say whatever they please except that sometimes you have to be careful of what you say and think of what might be the opinion of others related to your comment.

April 12, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  222. jesse

Speaking your mind?
    Not always should you say everything on your mind. If it isn’t going to help you or anyone else out then what’s the use? Sometimes we need to get our words across but only when it’s for a good reason. If your words are going to hurt others and upset them then why say them? There is no reason to use words to disturb what doesn’t need to be…Use less upsetting words or just keep it to yourself to be safe, or more importantly don’t say it where it can be heard by everyone!

April 12, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
  223. Daniel

I say we should because this is AMERICA and the FIRST amendment of the bill of rights is FREEDOM OF SPEECH, so he has the right to say anything about anyone and no one can stop him

April 12, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
  224. Mercedes

He has the right to say what he says, believe what he believes, worship who he worships, anything, America is a free country, so why should this man be held back from his right of speech?

April 13, 2012 at 12:03 am |
  225. Mariana

I may not be Cuban, but I can understand if people are offended by what Ozzie said. However, I feel that the media might be leaving certain things out. He may have just mentioned Fidel Castro in passing, or even sarcastically, but when you read something, you don't get the context or tone of voice. Freedom of speech is one of out rights as a American citizen, and I don't think he should have been suspended for so long for what he had probably thought a harmless comment. And so, in summary, I feel that it is okay to speak freely, but you have to remember your audience and how they might receive it.

April 13, 2012 at 1:35 am |
  226. Ian

You should think about the place and people that your in and around before you say what you want to say.

April 13, 2012 at 8:52 am |
  227. adam

think before you speak but saying that in a state that does not like fidel castro keep it to yourself

April 13, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  228. KA$EY

If you like someone as bad as Fidel Castro, keep it to yourself, dude!

April 13, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
  229. Ariana

Of course you should be able to speak your mind. Ozzie should have been able to say what he wanted without being penalized. Stating your opinion is important. It is his fault for being angry, but can you really blame the guy?

April 13, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  230. Jody

It's one thing to speak your mind. It's another to hurt someone's feelings. No, it's not illegal, but that doesn't mean it's right.

April 13, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
  231. nicholas

think before you say what

April 13, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
  232. Arantza

This whole situation has to do with, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. BUT its not illegal, he is completely allowed to say what he thinks but what he hasn't thought of it what others will think of it.

April 13, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
  233. Joe

Laugh as much as you breathe, love as long as you live. Live each day with purpose believe with all your soul, love beyond your own words. Never give up on the ones who you care about the most

April 14, 2012 at 12:37 am |
  234. Loi

I would like to speak up positively to people so together we can change and have a better lives. God tellsme so !

April 14, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  235. Santiago

Even though he did apparently did NOT mean to hurt the Cuban population in Miami, Guillen made many Cubans angry because of his comment on Fidel Castro, and that was NOT right. And even if he wasn't in Miami, Guillen should not have said what he thought because it is insulting to the Cuban population.

April 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
  236. Scott

I think it should change, but the men that run the it are very old fashioned so it's doubtful that they will change their ways so easily

April 14, 2012 at 10:29 pm |