April 4th, 2012

Dilemma in Augusta

The Augusta National Golf Club opened in 1932.  Since that time, its membership has been for men only, and because it's a private club, it is not required to change that.

It's facing an interesting dilemma, though.  One of the companies that sponsors the Masters Tournament guarantees membership for company officers.  And the leader of that company is a woman.

The ultimate decision about whether to offer her membership - and essentially change club rules - is ultimately up to the club itself.  What do you think it should do?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Janeth

I believe that the Augusta National Golf Club should make changes on some of their rules. After all, we are in the year 2012, and things for women have changed greatly since 1932. The lady is already a manager for another company, and that is one thing that proves that she, as well as many other women, have the capability, as well as the right, to be a member of something. The change in the club rules could be another great step towards the equal rights of males and females in the United States.

April 4, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • Delaney

Women should not be able to join the Augusta National Golf Club because this all golf club has been around for years and it doesn't make sense if the women just suddenly want to join. Women are strong enough to start their own golf club. If the women want to join in on a golf club then why not have them start their own?

April 9, 2012 at 8:16 am |
    • katie

I agree with you women are now treated equal and techniquely it's against the law to discriminat the club is definitely. Sexist

April 9, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
  2. Andrew

I think that the membership should not give the woman membership. The tradition of the club should keep it like other religious traditions.

April 4, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • jonahse

Sorry about what i said earlier but women should have the same rights as men, after all they are still citizens of the U.S.
      And what if people want to golf. They can do it freely

April 9, 2012 at 10:48 am |
    • Bill

I think that the women should have the same rights as men. If women have the right to vote than they definatly should have the right to play golf.

April 9, 2012 at 10:48 am |
    • Phillippa

I think the club should stay all male because that has been the tradition for so many years. Women should start there own women's only club. But the club should advertise as all male.

April 9, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
  3. Tri-Minh

This Golf Club should change the rules to have women on membership because it is unfair for all women. That would reduce the # of women golf players competing. This club has violated Human Rights #2: Don't Discriminate.
    Not only they violated Human Rights, but also corrupting women's culture and society.

April 5, 2012 at 12:52 am |
  4. Sebastian

I think if ladies are aloud to be in a army with men I think its OK if they want to play in the same golf tournament as men. Also ladies are improving everyday with sports and daily life.

April 5, 2012 at 2:41 am |
  5. Shreyans

The club should be allowed to decide whether they want to admit women or not. If they don't then that's their decision. If the have to change all their rules for one leader then they are going against what they have followed for the last 80 years. Women have places where men aren't allowed, why can't men have them too and not be called sexist.

April 5, 2012 at 2:42 am |
  6. Chase

I think this is discrimination and America is a free country where everyone should be able to do what they want as a free man/woman. I think this club should allow this woman to be a member and why wouldn't they allow woman.

April 5, 2012 at 3:02 am |
  7. Kyu-Ry

Of course it is a sexism but The Augusta National Golf Club is a private club we cannot say to change the rule though the CEO of one company which releated to the club. The tradition of this club have remained sine 1932. So we cannot
    tell them to change the rule.

April 5, 2012 at 5:06 am |
  8. JUNO

Although I think it will be morally right for Augusta National to accept females, but it's their decision to do it or not. I don't think the society should oblige the private club to do what the pubilc wants. Augusta National's a private club which can make their own decision and doesn't have the responsibility to be under the pressure of social trends.

April 5, 2012 at 5:53 am |
  9. Emily

Thoughts from my class:
    (m)*Keep the club the way it is because it's private and it's been that way for a long time.
    (f)*It's discrimination, so they should let women in. There might be some woman who could beat half the men there.
    (m)*I think they should change the rules and let the women play in the club. Some women in the world are really good at golf, but without access to Augusta, they're not getting the chance to prove their skills.
    (f)*If someone in the club invites a woman, I think they should be allowed to join the club, because a member wants them to join the club.
    (m)*If the women are good enough to get in, I think they should be able to get in. Some woman could be better, so it's kind of unfair to not let them play.
    (m)*They can't really be forced to change, but I feel that they should change. Women might be just as good at the game and they should be getting the same rights as the men.

April 5, 2012 at 8:55 am |
  10. johanna

the club has the right to make its own decisions

April 5, 2012 at 9:39 am |
  11. Courtney

Women can vote! WHY CAN'T WE GO IN A GOLF CLUB? Woman have done many things and were not even allowed to go into a private golf club. Change the rules let the women in!

April 5, 2012 at 9:51 am |
  12. Bemnet

I think a women who runs the Augusta National Golf club should also have girls join to but than again if a boy was running it than they should also have girls to cause girls have the right to join the Augusta National Golf club to.

April 5, 2012 at 10:08 am |
  13. Abby

I don't think that its really a big deal because women have their own all women clubs and if we can have those then guys should be able to have an all mens golf club. If women really wanted to play golf some where then they could go start their own all womens golf club and make it just as good as the guys club.

April 5, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  14. Jenae

The women who play golf should have their own membership. They could also share the facitiliy, but on different days so they are not together.

April 5, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  15. Courtney

No matter how they say it is discrimination. They should allow women in the club.

April 5, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  16. Shealie

Augusta is a private club so they are allowed to have only guys if they want to. I do not think that it is right to do that to women because some girls are as good as men! I have been against sexism because hearing about all the things guys get to do and women! Maybe Augusta will loose IBM because there new CEO is a female.

April 5, 2012 at 10:37 am |
  17. Parrish

I think they should change the rules because it is not fair for men to do everything that a women can do.

April 5, 2012 at 10:37 am |
  18. Ja-kyung

We should allow women to be membership. We are all same human being and we women should get same chance to try something equal as men.

April 5, 2012 at 10:38 am |
  19. lilly

i think that women should be aloud because even if they are a private club, women are compatible to anything that men are.

April 5, 2012 at 10:38 am |
  20. Aaron

I think that women can go there and play because every man and women are created equal.

April 5, 2012 at 10:39 am |
  21. Nickole

Us women have rights,we should be treated right.They should let the women in its not right.The rules should be changed.

April 5, 2012 at 10:39 am |
  22. Ghost

I think the club should let females in the "all males club" because it is not fair to the women if they cant watch the golf tournament!!

April 5, 2012 at 10:39 am |
  23. Thomas

There are so many other golf courses in the U.S. Why are women angry at only this course. I'm pretty sure there are other golf courses in Georgia.

April 5, 2012 at 10:39 am |
    • Logan

I really don't think woman should play golf. They might brag to their frends saying "I got to play golf and you didn't".
      That would be unfair to us guys.

April 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
  24. Anne

I think the club should be allowed to do whatever they want, however they should also offer membership to both men and woman. I don't think it's fair that only men can get into the club, however like I said, it's their decision.

April 5, 2012 at 10:40 am |
  25. cinthya

I think that they should change and allow women into their club since the leader of the club is a women.The women should be treated equal as the men in the club

April 5, 2012 at 10:40 am |
  26. Erica

I think that women should have rights to join a all mens club. They shouldn't be saying that women can't join because thats messed up you know. All women have rights to do what they want to do.. Men have the same thing.. They should let her play golf.. And she can blow their minds of what she can do with golf clubs. Its just rude now a days how men (not you Carl) don't let women be strong and show what they got you know..

April 5, 2012 at 10:40 am |
  27. Anonymous

I think that they should just let women in the club.Women in the past had to go through this when they couldn't vote so I think women should vote because women could do things that men do.

April 5, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  28. venommarvle

i think they can do what ever you wont because its a club. Like the Little Rascal they will change.

April 5, 2012 at 10:42 am |
  29. clarie

April 5, 2012 at 10:42 am |
  30. Lilly

I think that men shouldn't be judgmental towards women. I think the club should offer her membership and change their rules. Us women deserve to work with men, we don't mess anything up.

April 5, 2012 at 10:43 am |
  31. Hannah

I think that it is very discriminated. Augusta National should just make a women's golfing club. That way they could have both a men and women and no one will be left out.

April 5, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • madalin

i agree with u that would be fair!

April 7, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
  32. Kevin

I think that the owners of the golf course should do what they want to do, and leave it at that.

April 5, 2012 at 10:45 am |
  33. Hannah

Being a girl, I think that the golf club is a little unfair, but I really don't like golf. Also, the club is like the Knights of Columbus, an all men's society. If the women really love golf, they should start their own club. We shouldn't invade the men's special club.

April 5, 2012 at 10:45 am |
  34. Mariah

If its a private club than it does have a right to pick and choose its rules and bylaws. However, if woman choose a golf club as their priority to their rights than we should organize our priorities. Why not retaliate by creating an Augustina, but only for woman?

April 5, 2012 at 10:46 am |
  35. Brody

I feel that everything should go back to asimplker state. Before there was all these pushes for equal rights and all, life was much simpler, and, to many, a happier existence. The economy all over the world is going straight downhill, and instead of trying to get equal rights, we should try and actually bring up the economy. Granted there aren't alot of possibilities, but the few that there are have been tried multiple times. We need to stop trying to make people feel happy and equal, and try to make the economy calm and stable, not chaotic and wavering. Equality is a great goal, however we have been pushing for that for years, and it has gotten better, but not by much. Bringing the economy up would make everybody considerabley happy. I'm not saying women shouldn't be treated right, but what can we do? In this day and age, respect, self esteem, and chivalry is dead and forgotten, replaced by arrogance and ignorance. Thank you for your time and consideration, Brody.

April 5, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • Megan

Wouldn't life be so much simpler if we stopped discrimination and "This is a boys-only club and you can't join!" types of stuff?

April 9, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
  36. lakota

I think it should be a women and mans club because women have equal rights as men

April 5, 2012 at 10:54 am |
    • lakota

They should also be a man and women's club so that men and women can play together.

April 5, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • Tyler

It is not our decision. if they want to have only men in their club, than thats their problem. we dont get a say in it just because we dont like it.

April 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  37. trevor

keep a male club

April 5, 2012 at 10:55 am |
  38. MaShayla

I think that they should allow women. If it was a sport I loved like basketball or something, I would be really mad if it was an all mens club. If there are women who enjoy golfing, they should be able to do what they love without being stopped.

April 5, 2012 at 10:57 am |
  39. Braxton

i think that everybody should be able to be in the club. it is not fair that only men get to be in the club.

April 5, 2012 at 10:58 am |
  40. trevor

I think males need somewhere to get away from the females.If the females want a club let them create one.

April 5, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • Bailey

that is true but what about couple, husband and wife who wanted to golf together at a five star club and it was an all female club? we all need to escape at times

April 5, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  41. olivia

I think that we girls should be allowed to do golf. I think that because girls have the same rights as guys. Just because girls are different from guys does not mean they cant do the same thing as them. I also think that the guys of this golf club are just afraid that the girls will beat them like we always do.

April 5, 2012 at 11:01 am |
  42. Dawson

I think it should not be just a male club, because woman have the right to be just as good as Tiger Woods. They should have the right to play professional golf just as the men.

April 5, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  43. caden

I think it is not very nice that girls are not aloud to participate. The men are just being afraid because they feel threatened.

April 5, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  44. Gunnar

I think that the CEO shoud be allowed to go because if you don't give women what they want then they will mad and tey'll be mad. Its not worth all the trouble to get into a liberal fight.

April 5, 2012 at 11:16 am |
  45. Taylor

Why can't women join or be invited into the club what did we do to not be able to be in the club?

April 5, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  46. Youjin

Although woman's right have risen, I think they should not break its tradition.
    Since it had been built, They have never recruit women members for 76 years.
    I think its tradition are also important.
    So Augusta should keep their tradition.

April 5, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • Justin

I agree they need to keep there tradition. People say its 2012 and women do as much as men but we can't forget 1776 because the club does have the rights to keep it a private club.

April 5, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  47. Jasmine

I don't think that it's fair that Augusta has a female CEO,but they won't let females into their club if you hire a female then you should be willing to let women in.

April 5, 2012 at 11:36 am |
  48. Angie

If people say that everyone is equal then they should let her join. Change is not a bad thing. It would probably work out well. You just have to have an open mind.

April 5, 2012 at 11:36 am |
  49. Kyra

I think that if a private company only wants to allow men then it is their choise because they are a private company no one can controll them

April 5, 2012 at 11:38 am |
  50. Ziggy

Women have fought for their rights and have gained equality in this country. They should be allowed in any club.

April 5, 2012 at 11:39 am |
  51. Gabrielle

I think Augusta should let women in to the club because if they dont let women in the CEO would not be invited so it would be resist because in history women have been treated differently then men. Even now women get payed less then men and not inviting the CEO to the golf course just because she in not a man would lead to a lot of protested so if Augusta want thousonds of women protesting them then go ahead but if they want to do the right thing then let women golf at Augusta.

April 5, 2012 at 11:39 am |
  52. Isaac

I think that Augusta should be able to keep women out because there are lots of women only clubs and it's not considered as racist.

April 5, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  53. Katie

I guess since is a private club they get the choise of who they let in except, I think that in the past people were saying the same thing so the sexism keeps going.

April 5, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  54. peggy

I think that women should be allowed to be in the club because it isn't fair that the men get to take all the fun.

April 5, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  55. Shelene

I'm a girl... and I like to be included... but it's a private club and I also believe they should be able to shoose who they want to be a member. If it was MY club, I wouldn't want other people telling me I was required to admit certain or specific people.

April 5, 2012 at 11:47 am |
  56. Emily

They Should change the rules. Because it wont be fair for the girls not to be able to join the club.

April 5, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  57. Maddy

I don't think that women should be able to just pay the money and be in the club, I think they should be invited or send in an application and be accepted or declined, kind of like you were getting a job. They shouldn't just be able to join on their own because it could get out of hand...

April 5, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  58. Hunter

No because men need some time on there own. Because so they can talk about racing,football,and basketball. So they don't have to here about all of that drama. Also like cooking shows.

April 5, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  59. Maggie

I think the club should change the rules for the club because it is not fair that women should not be able to be in the club. I also think that they should change the rules because anybody could have any talent and maybe a women's talent could be golf so I think they should change the rules.

April 5, 2012 at 11:56 am |
  60. Esperanza

I think that women should be able to join a golf club. I think this because women in the past were not aloud to vote, but the past is gone and we women have over come that. In my opinion this rule is just like segragation. If the role was reversed and we were in the mans shoes and men in high heels the men would finally understand that we have rights too!

April 5, 2012 at 11:57 am |
  61. paidyn

I do not think golf should be women's thing.my answer is they should keep the rules the same.

April 5, 2012 at 11:57 am |
  62. Davin

No girls should not be aloud so men can have some boy time. So they can talk about sports and stuff and to not have a girl mess up the guy's game.

April 5, 2012 at 11:58 am |
  63. Gillian

They should because some girls are good at golf

April 5, 2012 at 11:58 am |
  64. Jazlyn

Well I think they should.Because it is not fear that guys get to do stuff that women can not do.

April 5, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  65. wesley

I think it is fair because it's a private company and Men need more time by their self.

April 5, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  66. Annaliese

I think that Augusta should allow her (the CEO) membership, though if for the sake of tradition they would like to keep the majority male, they can. They should at least consider letting a few select women in.

April 5, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
  67. Ryland

I think that they should let woman be in the Golf Club but they should be in another building because woman were not aloud to be there before.

April 5, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
  68. Brittany

I I think that Augusta National should invite women to become members.

April 5, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
  69. Shelby

I think the club should stay gentlemen only; GOLF is even an acronym for Gentlemen Ladies Forbidden. Traditionally golf is a men only sport, so to keep the tradition of this private club safe, it should remain that way.

April 5, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
  70. Mattie

I think they should let women in or have a separate club for the women is not fair that they are being excluded i mean if women can do everything else why not join a golf club.

April 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
  71. Yoshi

I think that women should also be able to play since they have equal rights.

April 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
  72. Olivia

What the club does either way is their decision. If they want to stick to their original term of only men being able to become members, or if they want to invite women as well. It's the club's decision.

April 5, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  73. Andrea

I believe they should, if America has women's rights for us then the club should acknowledge that. Even if they only want men there it still isn't fair.

April 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  74. Brittany

I think it should be a men and women's club, because if people were to exclude you from something, you would feel alone and left out. That is exactly what they are doing when they make this an al men club

April 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  75. Nigel

I think they should allow the women because in America, were all equal and the bald eagle represents freedom. So the women should be allowed in the club. If they don't, then that's not giving women freedom.

April 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  76. Danae

I think that the women should also be able to have a membership and be in the club, men and women do have equal rights.

April 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  77. Pedro

I think that it the clubs choice to choose who to let in but women have rights too.

April 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  78. Brooke.

If they want to allow women in, then they can. But if they don't want to, why do they have to since they're a private club..? They shouldn't have to. The women can make their own club, and they can have it without men if they want.

April 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  79. Emily

I think it should be a womens club also, one reason because women and men can get to know each other and make new friends. Second because if it was a sport I loved like soccer, and I wasn't aloud to play, I would be very mad because women should get equal rights as men. The 1900s are over, its 2012 now.

April 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  80. Mark

I think everyone should be able to come.

April 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  81. Brandon

I think they should keep it a male-only club just to keep on going with the tradition, and there are plenty of other clubs that will except women.

April 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  82. Samera

and that women should be able to play there.Women do all kinds of men things,and men do women things its only fair.

April 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  83. Sammera

April 5, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  84. Nolan

I think it is wrong to exterminate women to this club. This is America they have rites just as us gentleman do and we aren't being such gentlemen if we are exclude women.

April 5, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  85. Nikko

I think they should let women in to play gulf it is not like it will be the end of the world, be sides gulf can be one of the most boring sports.

April 5, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  86. Bailey

I am a golfer and a female, but if they want to keep it a all males club, so be it, but when they want competition then let women compete. I would personally love to golf there but like I said it a tradition as a mans club and it should stay that way. But let them (the club members) decide weather they want females there of not. Why not have a vote. woman in or out?!

April 5, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • Bailey

and not to mention we all need to get away from somethings at times

April 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  87. Lizbeth

I think they should let woman as well as men to be members.

April 5, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  88. Justin

They should let women into there club but it is there club and many clubs have only women and don't allow men. Just because this is a high end event doesn't mean other people the same thing and no one says a thing.

April 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  89. Russell

weman have the right to do anythang a man can do

April 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  90. Katie

I, as a golfer, personally think they should allow woman. I know it is mainly a men's sport, and the word 'golf' came from an acronym saying woman aren't allowed, but some girls really do enjoy golf, like me, and if they want to golf in Augusta, I think they should allow them to.

April 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  91. Emma-Lee

I personally know a lot of women who play golf and they have never been denied anywhere else. The only place women shouldn't be allowed in the men's bathroom.

April 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  92. Isaiah

I think that women should be able to join the golfing club. Everyone always used to complain that everyone was not being treated equally, but here is a chance to go a step higher in giving people respect!!!

April 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  93. Skylar

i think it should be a men and women club everyone has equal rights its not fair that it its just a mens club

April 5, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  94. Samerra

I agree with the last to comments.

April 5, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  95. Macy

I think they should let women in. W have never really had our own sport before, men let us in in everthing else why not now, and what harm does it do we might have the same interests as men so are we not allowed to?

April 5, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  96. Bailey

I think women should be allowed to golf there. No one wants to start anymore protests like when women weren't allowed to vote. BUT, the only con I can think of is men could falsely pursue women (discriminating) so they should see into that before OFFICIALLY allowing women in.

April 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  97. Brandon

i think that girls should be allowed to go to the club whenever they want. they should be included no matter what.

April 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  98. Bailey

They should not be foce if they dont want to but women should get to go to golf clubs women have the right to golf.

April 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  99. Lauren

Okay, if that club doesn't want girls to join then why don't girls make their own Golf Club that guys aren't allowed in? Either that or just let the girls be able to be a member in the club.

April 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  100. Allison

I think that it is not fair that women arent aloud to be members. Some women could be really good at golf; and why couldnt they be invited?

April 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  101. Derian

I think it should be a men and women club because if there was a sport I really liked and they wouldn't let me play I would be very upset.

April 5, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
  102. Daysha

I think they should keep it for men, because its a place to get away from our wife or someone. Its a place were boys can be alone and play like we want to. So we don't get yelled at every day.

April 5, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  103. Noah

I dont think women should be aloud in because it began as an men only thing. So people should not be able to forced to change it if they dont want to.

April 5, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  104. kelby

i think that they should let the girls be part of their all male golf club.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 5, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  105. Anna

Women should definitely have the right to join the golf club! Men and women are equal and nothing like a golf club should that. Personally I don't like golf, but I would at least like to have the right to join a club for it!

April 5, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  106. Suzie

I think that women should be able to join the club and that they should have the same rights as men. I think that they should be able to do whatever the men get to do no matter what.

April 5, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  107. trenta

'golf' an acronym formed from 'gentlemen only; ladies forbidden'
    🙂

April 5, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  108. Braggar

I think that men should have free time without women.

April 5, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  109. Patrick

It's their golf course if they don't want a certain race,sex,etc,on their course I am totally fine with them doing so.

April 5, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
  110. Dalton

I think that Augusta National should let woman join if they are invited. Woman have just as much rights and men, so why couldn't they play some holes in golf? I just think that they should be welcoming and females that are invited in.

April 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  111. Mike

Not only do they not allow women, but they are also taking their rights. Let women in the club, unless you wanna get sued pretty dang quick, and it doesn't help their CEO being a female.

April 5, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
  112. Walker

I think all sexes should be allowed, but the club owner choeses the rules

April 5, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
  113. ty

i think they should let women join.thats just wrong...

April 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  114. Megalicious

I think that they should allow girls to join, because girls like to golf too! If boys weren't allowed to join a basketball team, they would be mad.

April 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  115. Juliann

I think girls should be aloud becuse girls might be good at golf. Ya well it might also give guys and girls a chance to talk to us.

April 5, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  116. Megan

I think that girls should be able to play golf there too. It is not fair that only boys get to join, because some girls like golfing, too!

April 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  117. Bryce

I think that girls should be allowed because can be really good at sports.

April 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  118. bryce

i think that the male only club is good for men that want to hang out with friends and have good time ( plus they can get away from thier non-stop nagging wifes for a while)... but if it becomes too much of contriversy why not make another club around the same area that would be an all female club...

April 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • Bryce

Because that is not a good idea.

April 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  119. Sarena

April 5, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  120. Nadia

I think if the the owner of the club wants it to be an all men's club ,then it should be.All the women that like to golf, should go find a club that they are allowed in.

April 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  121. Patrick

i think since it is a private club, they have the right to keep it a "male only" club. However, it needs to be advertised as a men's only club.

April 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
  122. Natalee

I think that women should be allowed to have a membership. It's 2012, i mean women have rights.

April 5, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  123. Mykala

I think they sould invite women

April 5, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  124. Grant

I think that Augusta National should not have to invite women because they have there own right. They are a private club so it is there decision.

April 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  125. allan

I think women need to have the same rights like men,but make another building for them.

April 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  126. Josephine

I think it would be in the club's best interset to invite women but they should at least be fair and tell the people they are strictly a male golf club instead of trying to be discreet about and ignoring the problem

April 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  127. Brandon

I think that certain women should be let in. They should go based off of talent of the women. They could hold a open tournament, and then pick the best women. However, the club is private and doesnt have to allow women, so I can see the CEO's point.

April 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • justeen

yes i agree on that making it in by talent is a smart way to put things 😉

April 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  128. zorian

I do believe that women should be aloud in augusta national golf clube because we own most everything

April 5, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  129. Janae

I think that they should let women be in the Augusta Golf Club, because we shounld all have equal rights.

April 5, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  130. Ashley

I think they should let women in the golf club because this is 2012 were women and men have equal rights because women have done things some men havent done and we have worked hard to get OUR rights.

April 5, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • justeen

well wat about woman and there clubs for just women are u going to go against that too

April 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
  131. Natalie

i think that Aughusta National should make a women glof club

April 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  132. Mikaela

I think that women should be allowed. I mean after all some of the best athletes are women! So therefore women should be allowed

April 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  133. Michael

I think they should keep it Male only, though they should make that fact known. It is their club, and it's not like we're talking about the right to vote or something else big.

April 5, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
  134. Amelia

I think it's fair that only men are allowed because it's a private club. It's like someone getting mad at you for not inviting them to your party. It's your party, not there's, though I do think that the club should own up to the club being boys only.

April 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • Alyssa

I guess your point makes sense because it's a private club... But still! girls should have equal rights as boys. All US Citizens should (are suppose to) have equal rights. Women can do anything boys can do! Women's rights will be SERVED!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:00 am |
  135. Brandy

I think it is ok that the men have their own club. If the women want one, they should start their own! That would truly be women's rights and proving that they can do anything a man can do!

April 5, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  136. Gloris

It makes no sense to have a female CEO that runs the club but not allow females to actually be members. Augusta National club does have their own right but I still think it's sexist.

April 5, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
  137. Corbin

I think that they should change the rule because boys do every thing and girls should do what boys do.

April 5, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  138. Mya

I think women should be aloud to be a members in the golf club. Because women and men have equal rights.

April 5, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  139. Corbin

I think that they should change the rule because boys do every thing and girls should do what boys play.

April 5, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  140. Gracie

I think woman should be able to join because it's not fair since it's like segregation. Plus now we have freedom.

April 5, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  141. Kaylee

Why would they have a club for just boys because i mean Girls Rock! doesn't every body feel the same way

April 5, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  142. Alyssa

Well I wouldn't want to because they maybe just talk about boy stuff like ' I just mode my yard last night'

April 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
  143. Pierce and Jackson

We think that the Augusta club should make the decision but they should let women in because if not that's discrimination.

April 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  144. Jess

I think that its should be allowed to exclude women if they come out and say it starkly. It's their choice as a PRIVATE golf course.

April 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  145. kainen and sam

They should change it because girls are just as good as boys. Girls should get to do every thing boys do.

April 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  146. Hannah

I think it is not fear because women should be let in.And then women has talent to.They should play and watch.And hang out with their family.

April 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  147. levi and andrew

it is not fair that boys get to play golf and the girls don't because this is 2012.And in 2012 a girl is president, if a girl is president she should get to do what a boy president gets to do.

April 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  148. Gunner

I believe the that the seperation of males and females in this sort of way is not right. It goes agenst our rights as citezens of the United States. We all have Equal rights as U.S. citizens under the Constitution

April 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  149. Lizvick

I think if women want a to be in the golf club, they can make their own. That way both men and women can have a place to get away too.

April 5, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
  150. whitney + jeannine

we don't think its fair because its segregation, and it's not okay that they are doing it to girls.We also think it's not fair because it is violating girls right's. so let the girls in!

April 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  151. Kaylee

It is kinda fare because girls can be annoying at points ( like me) and girls can make there own club.

April 5, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  152. Samantha

I think they should because women are aloud to be police officers and firefighters . And why would you not let her go just because she is a women.If I was not aloud to and I was their sponsor, I would stop.

April 5, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  153. whitney + jeannine

we don't think its fair because its segregation, and it's not okay that they are doing it to girls.We also think it's not fair because it is violating women's right's. So let girls in !!

April 5, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Lucille

No it isn't. Women have their own clubs. How would you feel if a man waltzed right into a woman's club and said I can join, I have rights?

April 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Lucille

April 6, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
  154. Paco

I think that it should not allow women because it's there choice do whatever they want with the PRIVATE club.

April 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  155. Kyle

I think that its not really right to have a mens only club, but it is up to the owners

April 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  156. Patrick

Men are allowed to have there own club and women can make there own Augusta club if they want.

April 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  157. Garret

It was named golf for a reason and it means Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden. but i do think they should change their rule because i know great women golfers.

April 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  158. Kyle

I think that men should have their own club because women have their own clubs

April 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  159. Kali

I think men do deserve the right to have a club, because woman have their own clubs.But I do think if a woman can play very good at Golf then they should be allowed to be in the mens club, Golf should not only be for men,it should also be for woman!

April 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  160. Nicholas

I don't think they should let Women into the Golf club. Why would do they do? Not to mention what GOLF means. I do believe that there is Girl only clubs'. So if they can have one, why can't boys?

April 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  161. Beatrice

I think that certain women should be let in. They should go based off of talent of the women. They could hold a open tournament, and then pick the best women. However, the club is private and doesn't have to allow women. But it is 2012 but its there choice.

April 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  162. Jacob

I think that they should keep their rules just like "he man woman hater club".

April 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
  163. ALEXANDER

Women have Women only clubs, and men do not make a deal about that, so why do women want to be in a club full of men?

April 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
  164. Jason

I think it is there club and they have the right to say who's allowed.

April 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
  165. Jeremy

I think it should allow women because women can play other sports and they should be able to play golf

April 5, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  166. Danielle

I Think That Men Should Make Their Choice But They Should Also Let Women Join Too. It Is Not Fair That Women Can't Join With Men. But, You Should Give Women A Chance.

April 5, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  167. abbie

I think they should let women in the golf club because this is 2012 were women and use woman have as much right as the men do. I do believe that women should be aloud in Augusta national golf club.Women should be invited because they have just as much talent as men when it comes to golf.I think that everybody should be able to be in the club but kids.

April 5, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  168. justeen

guys should have a privet club for only guys because women have clubs that are just for woman.

April 5, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  169. wendy

i think the guys deserve to make it only for guys women have lots of clubs only for women and i think they deserve that privacy

April 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
  170. jacob

I think they shouldn't let woman in the club because golf is the only thing a guy can do without a girl

April 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • Carly

I agree jacob, what if, (like my dad) you live in a house full of women?? Men should be allowed to escape into their own dude-filled world. =) PS: im a girl

April 6, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  171. Macy

I that it is okay that they have a men's only club, because they also have women's only club. Golf was named golf because of a sign at the first golf course, it stands for gentlemen only, ladies forbidden.

April 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • Lucille

Ladies can play golf Macy. And if G-O-L-F really does stand for that, then, why are there women playing golf now. Women need to butt out of some things.

April 6, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
  172. Macy

I that it is okay that they have a men's only club, because they also have women's only club. Golf was named golf because of a sign at the first golf course, it stands for gentlemen only, ladies forbidden, G-O-L-F!

April 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Brenna

Why is that okay what if you really wnted to join a club and someone told you no because you are a girl? How would you feel?

April 6, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • Minchae

The 21st century is when women get their rights, and women might want to compete with men.

April 6, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  173. christina

i think they should they should be able to since they should be treated just as men do we are a free country now let the women join in the club already

April 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  174. Mariel

They can keep their club as it is, but they should offer something else in return to this woman who is illegible to join the gold club due their rules.

April 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  175. Tori

Well if the club wanted to make more money they could easily be letting woman join since they would pay to join just like the men. I don't think it is fair to the women at all since they just want to golf where the pros and men do too!

April 5, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
  176. Geo

I believe that the club should allow women to be members of it. We are in 2012 now, and things have greatly changed since 1932. Also, the lady is a leader of one of the companies that were sponsors, so it would be nothing other than fair for them to offer her a membership. By allowing women to be members, their profit would increase too.

April 5, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  177. Jesse

I do not think the girls should be bugging the golf course to change their rules.

April 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  178. Brooke

I think they should give her a chance. Everyone deserves to show what they know, so why not her? Stop being so Sexist, and having to ask us, why should you have to ask people their opinions, when you should just give her a try? Jeez.

April 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  179. Johnny

I think that they should because if they didn't then some companies might no longer sponsor the Augusta National Golf Club. Also they should give the women rights like this because if they don't less and less people would support them and eventually, they'd be left with nothing. So I'd let them play golf with the rest of the men if I was in charge.

April 5, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
  180. Kevin

Women should have the right to join, but then again its the club who chooses to discriminate

April 5, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  181. Annekcm

I think that women shall prevaile and become stronger and shall not be judged by thier gender! Women do more work than men and men don't even notice! I think women should be able to play golf and get into the club not rated by what they do or what thier gender is!! This is so incredeble how people haven't gotten that people are different like slaves but even though this is way different than slavery it still has the same meaning. This is horrible that people judge others. I think that women shall be able to not only to play but get into the golf club!!!!

April 5, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
  182. Brandon

All Women should have a chance to tee-off at Augusta. I would not think it be fair if men were not be to play golf at Augusta. It is a free Country and all People Can do anything they wish to do.

April 5, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
  183. Alex

I think August National should keep it's rules because it has been a rule since the 1930's and
    obviously it has not been a problem so far. Besides, golf does stand for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbid.

April 5, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
  184. Jacob

I think that they should not change their ways, because its just the wayy it is and the way it has always been, just like the girl scouts, they don't want boys to join, and the same thing with the boy scouts, they don't want girls there. So I say let the club do what they want, and if people don't like it they can start there own club and do thing their way.

April 5, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
  185. EJ

I think the Augusta National Golf Club should change its rules. Women sholud not be discriminated. Women has rights to do what they want to do. They should not be seperated from men. We are all human beings nand we all have our rights to do something.
    They shouldn't be any rules that disturbs our freedom. So, the club should definitely change their rules. WOMEN'S RULES!!

April 6, 2012 at 3:15 am |
  186. Simon

I think it's okay for the golf club to be mens only. Just as long as they ADVERTISE it as a mens only club. I think if the women want a golf club, they should start their own, and advertise it as a womens only club.

April 6, 2012 at 7:48 am |
  187. Brody

I think if women have the right to vote then they have the right to be in a club.

April 6, 2012 at 9:10 am |
  188. John

There's no reason of complaining if it's a private club which women are not allowed because they can make their own rules and the rules were made for the purpose of it being a private club.

April 6, 2012 at 9:22 am |
  189. Nick

I feel that Augusta should be able to do as they wish because it is a private club that should be able to pick there own rules. Being able to pick your own rules are a benefit of owning a private company

April 6, 2012 at 10:09 am |
  190. Maura

I think that the club should stay an all men club. As a girl, I think that really proving to men that we have the same rights would be starting out own club. I understand the whole dilemma, because every official is guaranteed a membership, and one of the official is a women. The only fair way that I think they should end this is to give the women a short membership, therefore keeping the rule that only men should be allowed in the club and honoring their gaurentee that officials get a membership.

April 6, 2012 at 10:32 am |
  191. Kennedy

Women should have the right to be in an all men's club. It's a free country. I don't think women should be discriminated from doing things we can do just as well as men.

April 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
  192. eliza

i think Augusta should let women join because , women gradually were let to play in other sports too. Why not golf?

April 6, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  193. Lucille

Its not a man woman thing. Really, it isn't. There are some things women do that men don't do or can't do. How would you feel if a man walked in on a womens club meeting and said I can join too, just because I am a man doesn't mean I shouldn't join. How would you feel then. About the issue: either don't have that company sponsor you or change the rules. It shouldn't be that big of an issue. And, its not like women aren't allowed to golf, because, they are. Its really nothing to take personally, its just one club. And even if it weren't there are things and places men don't go.

April 6, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
  194. Thomas

Even if I'm a boy, I think the girls should be let in because like 1400 years ago, our pilgrim fathers came for independence and freedom. The girls have a independent choice to join the club or not.

April 6, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
  195. Xenophillius

I believe the rules should stay the same. The Augusta National Golf Club is a males-only club, and should stay that way. I don't think men will be allowed into organizations such as the General Federation of Women's Clubs or the American Association of University Women anytime soon.

April 7, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  196. Addison

I think women should have the right to golf at Augusta after all we are the United States, and of course maybe the boys are just nervous that the girls are going to beat them like we always do.

April 7, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  197. Guneet

I am a female, but I don't think women should be aloud. If women want to be included, they should make their own club with no men. Why break the clubs record cause the women are to lazy to make their own club???

April 7, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  198. Andrea

Being a little bit of a women golfer myself, I think that women should be aloud to play there, but that just may be because I am a girl. I have heard men talk about women trying to play there and they think it isn't right.

April 7, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
  199. Bobby

It's only fair to let her in! Only men used to vote, no women, but now, women can vote! It's not a dilemma, it's right to let her in! For justice!

April 7, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
  200. Moto

It will be good thing to allow women to be able to get membership. Like someone said, today is 2012,ofcourse women should be allowed to do everything else.Golf courses should open opportunity for everyone irrespective of private or public golf courses. and also, I don't think that golf courses change each every rules,and they should allow people who wear a tank top and a short pants to be able to play golf. Still, golf is a gentlemen's sport. We should follow such a regulation.

April 7, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
  201. Shelby

I think that woman should be able to join the club because woman have the same rights as men. Just because men do golf more than woman doesn't mean they don't enjoy it or like it. Woman are the same as men.

April 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
  202. Jessie

I think that woman should be able to play. Woman have gained the same rights as men, why shouldn't they apply here?

April 8, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
  203. Martin

It is the Clubs decision whether Women are allowed to join but heres a positive idea A private club Just for women

April 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
  204. takahiro

I believe woman have right to play there. Women all should be allowed to play.

April 9, 2012 at 1:44 am |
  205. khalifa

i think that they should change the rules. and let the woman play instead of only men. also some say woman can do things better then men can.

April 9, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  206. Marquise

April 9, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  207. zach

golf is really boring but a competitive sport

April 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  208. poly d

i think woman shouldn't play because if they play then the guy's are not going to have the girls cheering them up.

April 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
  209. Krysta

I believe that this golf club is sexist and unfair. I feel this way because some one's gender should not matter. The fact that no woman is allowed in this club makes this club not right.

April 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
  210. casiana

Well, I don't think it's a big deal that "females" can't play at the golf club. I understand why others would think that would be sexist and totally unfair. It has been men vs. women has been a issue since the start of time. JUST GET OVER IT!

April 9, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  211. Savannah

Personally, I think the Augusta National Golf Club should change it’s membership just for reasons like women holding the power over companies. Unless they only encounter a few women leaders and these women don’t want any part of being in a golf club, then I say more power to it being an only men’s club. But at this day in age, women are allowed to do almost everything men can (ex. vote, work outside the home, do “manly” jobs, be head CEO’s) so why shouldn’t they be able to partake in the membership of a simple golf club?

April 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  212. kyle

Sign me up!!!

April 9, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  213. tyler

i think that people should get over it and because its a private club so they can do almost anything that they want to. I like that they made it a all mens club because women have girls night out so why cant guys have a club for just themselves and no women.

April 9, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  214. JUAN

i think girls shouldnt play golf because guys are stronger then girls.and i think that girl that play golf they might messed up and they brake their clubs.and i think that girls that play golf might throw the golf ball not too far away matbe like have or bairly have of the field.

April 9, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  215. Waleel

i want to know why is there club is only for Mens.Also i want to know why dont you make a club for girls only.

April 9, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  216. kyle

I have a question, if the president of IBM had a gender change from female to male then would she be allowed to participate in the private clubs activities? Also do people go swimming in the water hazard because i need to cool off?

April 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  217. andrea

I think that men and women should be in the golf tournament cause girls want to be a part of it so its kind of unfair for only men to have there own golf club Im glad there is a women in the tournament they need to keep it that way .

April 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  218. Ananda

I women should make their own club to show us men.

April 9, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  219. Jessica

The United States is a country that under constitutional rights has freedom in many aspects. I believe that women have the right to play and to do much more or else we are depriving them from a right they deserve.

April 9, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
  220. NIck aka Prof.Plum

Change the rules. Today every gender, race and etc deserved the same rights. Men and Women can do the same things. Women and other groups( other races and etc.) have protested to get equal rights

April 9, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
  221. Sarah

If this is a Male-Only club then it should stay a male-only club. It is a private club so it should be able to pick and choose who they want in it. The club should also have to specify that it is a Male-Only club. To avoid any further dilemmas.

April 10, 2012 at 12:51 pm |