.
October 17th, 2011

Color-Coded Card Controversy

Most school systems look for ways to encourage students to get better test scores.  One district in California tried giving students color-coded ID cards based on how well students scored on standardized tests.

Black cards, given for great scores, got students free admission to sporting events and school dances.  Gold cards, given to students who showed improvement, had some limited benefits.  And white cards, for the students with the lowest scores, had no benefits - and students with white cards had to stand in a different lunch line.

The district recently did away with the program, issuing the same color IDs to everyone.  But we'd like to hear what you think of the idea of using color-coded cards to either give or limit student benefits, based on scores.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. McKay's class

Perhaps a more democratic solution would be to judge the card color on the growth of each individual student. Everyone starts at white and moves through the colors as they personally show growth on their test scores. We, however, disagree with the separation at lunch!

October 18, 2011 at 10:14 am |
  2. Ms. Knight's Class

We took a vote on this controversy, and 14 of us believe this is a fair practice, but 8 of us believe it is unfair. Those who believe it is fair think that people deserve rewards for having good scores on their test. Those who believe it is unfair think that if students try hard on their tests, they shouldn't be discriminated against.

October 18, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  3. Mr. M's Class

This is a BAD idea because students learn differently. Some students have test anxiety, learning difficulties or struggle with individual subjects. The white cards make students feel inferior and may leave themselves open for bullying and teasing. When these students feel badly, they will not be motivated to do better. Motivating and rewarding students is important but not at the cost of making students feel ashamed.

October 18, 2011 at 11:41 am |
  4. Mrs. Leamon's class

We feel that this is a fair idea. Those students that score low will feel motivated to do better on tests in the future, and the students that are doing well get rewarded.

However, standing in seperate lunch lines may be too much.

October 18, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  5. Karly

I think it's nice to have students rewarded for the hard work they put into getting great scores, but this just went too far and seems embarressing for students who had to be separated into another lunch line. They might as well wear a hat that says "I'm Dumb" in big letters.

October 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  6. Naomi

from what i saw on student CNN i think the color coded system i very unfair. The system is unfair because the students with low scores would feel bad. Another reason is that the people with high scores may be mean to the people with lower scores. The tests are not graded so the should not go against the students. I have a new idea the could give the whole school the same color coded cards.

October 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  7. Bryan

I think that is not right to separate the students for there grade.Its but it is ok to reword them if they did good. But if they didn't do so good they should not be separated its like your dumb your smart. I
    don't think it will be a good thing, and a kid a bully them about it

October 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  8. jarvis

people shouldnt get treated unfairly just because of a stupid test

October 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  9. Ellie

This is absolutly rediculous! Teachers don't show other students test scores, this is the same thing. If you get an A, good for you. If we've been ok with just feeling good about our selves.

October 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm |

The color coded program was unfair in many ways. One, your test scores are for your eyes and your eyes only. Two you should not be standing in a different lunch line just because you have a white card, thats like saying you did terrible and its embarrassing to students.

October 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Anonymous

Exactly!! So what's next, people with white cards getting a different lunch too?! I mean, come on, get real...

October 26, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  11. Daniel

Carl,I watched the color coded card system and I thought it was completely unfair. 1 reason is some kids go to dances for free if they get black. A 2nd reason is it may lead to bullying against the kids with bad scores. So in all I think it's unfair.

October 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  12. Eric

I don't think they should let everyone know which kids got white or gold or black cards, but they should give some privleges to the kids that get good grades. They also shouldn't put the kids with lower grades in different lines. The teachers should just help the kids with lower grades, and not waste everyone's time reviewing because of a few kids with lower grades.

October 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  13. Jill

I think this system is fair, because students who work hard should get the rewards they deserve. And students who are lazy and don't care about their school work should try and work harder.

October 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

Carl,
    I just watched CNN Student News today, the color-coded program, I don't agree with this! I believe the score they get is between them and the teacher. Also, schools shouldn't make you feel bad about the fact that you did badly. Some kids could be emotional and bullies could pick on them and make them cry about low grades. Schools should make it so they miss the dance not making it obvious that they did bad.

October 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  15. Jenni

I think that all kids should be treated equally. I wouldnt want other kids to make fun of the people who might have a bad test score. They should all have the same colored cards.

October 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  16. Maxwell

What's up Carl? After watching the color coded section I decided it was unfair. Students shouldn't be embarrassed that they got those scores. Everybody learns at a different rate. Also I think that the cards could break up friendships with the students boasting to each other. I think they could have a system as long as it doesn't embarrass other students who got lower scores. Like I said before everybody learns at a different rate. That's why I think its unfair.

October 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  17. Maraky

The Color-Coded Program seems to be a good idea, but there would definetely be some controversies if initiating it. Students, who normally do well in school however, don't test well, would feel inferior to others regarding their test scores. Treating or rewarding those who do do better than others wseems to be a good idea; but rather that giving different colors, so that everyone could see, students should receive the same color and a small code at the bottom.
    This eliminates any feelings of superiority or inferioirity amongst students, and is still a good way to reward those who do well.

October 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  18. Tegan

I think it is a good idea! It is a good way to encourage kids to do well in tests. And it will make them want to keep there grades up! I wish my school had something like that! it would really keep me motivated.

October 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  19. Milika

It was a good idea to award students who have improved and are maintaining their high scores, but not such a good idea to "embarass" the rest of the students. Sure, students that are doing better should be awarded but not in this way. Because not only are you embarassing the other students but your also putting them down. Schools are suppose to encourage students to strive for greatness but they won't improve if they feel looked down on. Because if they don't get the same special treatment, the other student's tend to brag about their "higher rankings" and develop the form of bullying. Although it was a good idea, it shouldn't be enforced but they should find another solution.

October 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  20. chevelle

I think that its not good for kids to be classified in colored cards. Everone should be treated the same no matter what there test scores are.

October 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  21. Kayla

I think this is a good idea! I think more schools should do this! I think this idea could improve kids grades because the will want to try their best to try and get the black or gold card! I also think that this may embarrass kids that get white cards, so this can be bad but good at the same time! 🙂 🙂

October 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  22. Paige

It's fair students who work hard earn what they deserve

October 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  23. Anakarla

Giving students with high standardized test scores certain benefits seems like a good idea. But going to the extent where students who have low scores feel discriminated is too far. For example, the school policy separated students into two lunch line; one for those with high scores and one for students with low scores. This seem discriminative to me.
    Instead of separating students into categories I believe that students should be encouraged to improve their personal scores in order to elevate themselves. If each student had personal motivation, i believe the test scores would dramatically increase.

October 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  24. Tellese

I think it is a good idea that the students with higher test scores get rewarded, but I think it is unfair to discriminate against those who get lower scores.

October 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  25. Findlay

There needs to be some sort of incentive to motivate student performance but negative attention isn't the answer. No one needs to be made an example of.

October 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  26. Tyler

I think it's a good idea, although I think you shouldn't give students with learning disablities white cards. Don't make students with lower grades go into a different lunch line, that's just embarassing. If you don't want other people to know you should be able to only to show it to the adults for the rewards. Students that work hard for A's should be able to have provisions.

October 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  27. Shelby

I believe the idea of the ID Tags was not fair. It will soon make the students feel bad about themselves. Not everybody has the same achievement level, making it un-fair. Especially since the students who got black ID tags got all the privelages. It's a bad idea.

October 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  28. collin and tyler

Giving students ID cards for good grades that give them special privalages is good, but making students with bad grades stand in a seperate line is very wrong. It is discriminating against the other kids and points out to people who don't need to know that they have a bad test score.

October 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  29. AJ

This is wrong to give certain students privileges because of a single test.

October 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  30. Courtney

I think color-coded cards are a bad idea. It would encourage cheating because who wants to be singled out for performing badly?

October 18, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  31. Shane

I think that it is unfair, because it shows the people who have done bad, iit is also not fair because the people who do bad have to go in to other lunch lines

October 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  32. Shelby

The idea of these identification cards are not a good idea. It will start issues between the students. Not all kids have the same achievment level, making other kids feel bad about themselves. Also, the fact that the students with the black cards got all the privelages is not fair either. Some kids have trouble with certain subjects and cannot always achieve the highest level.

October 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  33. Kasey

I belive that the black, white and gold cards being given to kids based on their test scores is a great idea. Mainly because, if kids do bad on standarized tests and get a bad score and all their friends get a bad score. Yes, they will be imbarassed but it may incourage them to do better next time.

October 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  34. Megan

I don't think that the black, white, and gold card thing is un-fair. Because, when the kids with white and black cards, it is kind of racist. It's like they are seperating black from the white, like they did on the buses, etc.
    No one would want to be embarressed, It's kind of like bullying in some ways? It makes it seem like the people with gold cards are smarter then the people with white cards. I wouldn't want to be treated like that. It's just not fair.

October 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  35. Jennifer

I think it is un-fair for the school to be giving them "Color Coded Cards". Not only because it is rude for the other children who don't have the same achivement goal as others with black and gold cards. Whan a teacher hands out your test or worksheet they dont say "Hey this child Got a D", The simply give you back your test or worksheet, with the color cards it is basically showing the childrens grades. Also because people with think there better than others and that could start Bullying.

October 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  36. Megan

I don't think that the black, white, and gold card thing is fair. Because, when the kids with white and black cards, it is kind of racist. It's like they are seperating black from the white, like they did on the buses, etc.

October 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  37. Randy

I agree and disagree ,I think that the good in them is they motivate you to do better , but the issue of standing in a seperate line is a problem ,and i think instead of doing that the people with a white card just go to a study hall or tutoring lesson after school!

October 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  38. Cortney

I see how this could be a good reward for students with high scores and all, but think how embaressed some of the kids may be when they have to stand in a seperate line at lunch, all because of theyre test scores. I think this competely unfair, and should not be used to reward students.

October 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  39. Samantha

I think that if you're going to reward students for their good grades, do it privately so the others won't feel bad. You never know, some students can not pay attention, but yet still get good grades, when others study hard and don't get good grades. And making the students that have white cards stand in another lunch line is a little too drastic.

October 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  40. kennen

i think it is judgemental to tell kids they cant buy from the same lunch line as higher achievers. maybe they were sick and didnt try there best on the day of testing . no kid should be embarssed about there testing score. it is highly unaltruistic to judge someone by there learning skills. other kids shouldnt know your grades because that is personal information. if it were me i would go to the school board or sew the school.

October 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  41. Ali

I think that they should not have color coded cards because the kids that dont do as well will have a better chance of being picked on... i also think that this is discrimination. kids should be treated fairly and have the same rights.

October 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  42. Roshod

the color card is not the right thing to do it could start bulliying to the kids that didnt do well and embarisment the card seems more like a punishment then a reward

October 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  43. Kasey

I belive that the black, white and gold cards being given to kids based on their test scores is a great idea. Mainly because, if kids do bad on standarized tests and get a bad score and all their friends get a bad score. Yes, they will be embarassed but it may incourage them to do better next time.

October 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  44. MacKenzie

The Color-Coded ID Card is a bad idea and is very discriminating. It's almost like saying you cannot be my friend because you're a ginger or you have blue shoes. Also yes, it's good to have the black card but, what about the kids with the yellow and the white cards. Since they have limited benefits they might feel bad and also can lower their self-confidence. I think that no school district in the nation, no world should have that
    Color-Coded ID Card.

October 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  45. Nicole

I think it is a great idea to reward students with high test scores. On the other hand it insults stundents with low scores. I personally love the idea so try on rewarding the ones with high scores but no exposing ones with low scores.

October 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  46. Jacob

I think this is wrong, because it just brings out segregation like we have been trying to get rid of for a long time now. Pointing out that some students dont get as good grades as others can be embarrassing. I think they should take away the cards.

October 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  47. Roshod

This is very wrong it pin points the kids that didnt do well and makes them and subjests them into bullying and imbaress ment it is not a reward it is a punishment

October 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  48. liv

I think it is a good idea because it rewards the students who have earned it and the students who have white cards it will want to make better grades so they can get diffrent rewards.

October 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  49. dana

other than embarassing the students that arnt very smart i think this would encourage cheating more than anything.

October 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  50. Darian

Doing this to students is cruel and unfair..It is just like saying colored can't sit in the back of the bus. That law was outlawed..so why would the Principle of this school think he could make up a law that reflects the same law that was outlawed..I also think it would encourage or promote cheating so the students that didn't get the best test scores could be like all of their friends. No student should have to feel less of themselves.

October 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  51. Quincey

ithink that it is unfair to the people that dont get good scores. Because it could make them feel unuseful or other kids may start making fun of them. also this may start cheating to get better grades and more rewards

October 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  52. Jose

The separtion of the students is wrong and should not be used because you are separting them in lunch and not giving the kids who test bad a chance at anything and they could have tried hard on test studied for hours and do bad on the test. Giving them speical treatment is ok but separting is not.

October 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  53. Dana

I think students will start cheating to earn a black card. I think they separating smart students from those who struggle in school. Although it is a way to promote rewarding those who strive to be excellent in school.

October 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  54. Jackson

I understand why the school would support this idea, but I don't think they need to embarrass students. They could give a student a free homework pass or a gift card for free concessions at games, but simply giving them a color after a test seems unnecessary.

October 18, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  55. ajay

this mite make kids feel bad but it could all so make you strive for a black card. But having to stand in a different lunch line would make me feel really left out from everyone. Just because I didn't do good on a test doesn't mean i should stand in a different lunch line.

October 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  56. Daniel

Although the goal of the program would've been to encourage students to study harder, it probably brought anger and shame to many students. The school should've encouraged studying in a positive way, not in a way that makes students feel inferior or superior to others.

October 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  57. Allison

I think that they should not color code the cards because that make some kid feel really bad. I would hate to have a white card. I would be really embarrassed. I also understand they want to reward student that do a good job but they could do it in a different way.

October 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  58. Jacob

Dear Carl
    I honestly don't think that this is a good idea because it kind of like discriminating the kid from the rest of the group. Having the black card is one thing but getting the white one is just does not look good on you to everyone else. This could also cause bullying which many schools are trying to prevent from happening. What if you were that kid to get the white card? Maybe the kid is trying hard but can’t do well and gets the white card that's not fair to the student that has to be in a separate lunch line because of his grades.

October 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
  59. Caleb

It was good that people with high test scores get rewarded but everyone should get some benefits no matter what there test scores were.

October 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  60. Ethan

I think they should at least give students a reward instead of making them feel bad in front of other students. I know it would make me very embarrassed.

October 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  61. Mrs. Swant's Class

We feel like our country fought hard for equality. These cards could ruin what we worked for.

October 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  62. Sean

It think that this is another good idea gone bad....a school tried to reward the good student but what about all the other things in school–the report card, work ethic, way someone tries–I don't test well thus I would have a white card....is that fair?

October 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  63. Mitchell

This color coded rule is so unfair to the students of that school. Even though you don't have good grades doesn't make you a good student. You should get color coded cards on how you behave in school.

October 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  64. Macarena

Students with high test scores should, indeed, receive a black card. They deserve it for receiving high test scores and can be used as an incentive. However, students with low or average test scores should not receive a card at all. That way, the people with low test scores won't be embarrassed and won't be ridiculed because of their test scores. Also, the people with average test scores can work harder next time to receive higher test scores.

October 18, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  65. Erica G

I think it is not rite but the kids should get something out of doing good

October 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  66. Karim

I believe that the color coded car was a good idea. It gives a person who tries and execels in test to get a reward

October 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  67. Isaiah

I DON’T AGREE EVERYONE needs some sort of privileges-that is the American Incentive system. Reward those of us who show change!

October 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  68. DANNY

i think it was a good idea, because it motivates the students to try and pass the test, and if they dont it makes them want to try and do better the next time.

October 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  69. Andrew

Students can try hard but just not be that academically advanced which is unfair because they still put forth their best effort. It is a form of stereotype and it should be abandon at once.

October 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  70. panchito18c

I think this is not good because they are making them go against each other and that is what we least want in this country.

October 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  71. Dana

I think this should be used. Reward the students that strive in excellence BE REWARDED OR BE PUNISHED!!!!

October 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  72. Andrew

I think that it is obserd and not treating each student equaly, but for the students that got good scores deserve something good in return.

October 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  73. Jeanettee

Color coded cards were a good idea, but only for the kids who go the high test grades. But it was bad to make the other children feel bad about not getting the good grades.

October 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  74. Sammyra

I think it is fair but I don't think people should be put down because their grades are better or their test scores are better. What about the kids like me who try hard and have a learning disorder? Isn't this just another form of bullying, when we only look at one thing in school and not the total picture? Schools need to reward everyone and give everyone a chance!

October 18, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  75. Joseph

Giving students a color-coded ID card does not sound like a good idea. Having color-coded ID cards could also turn into a bullying issue. Students could be made fun of because they did exceptionally well, or because they scored horribly. The purpose of the colors is to motivate students to score high on tests, but having the cards may also make some students very nervous. Will they do well? It's just one more thing to worry about in school.

October 18, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  76. Heather

Putting shame to students who didn't score as well will only discourage them, instead, students should all make personal goals and try to achieve those. The people who do should be rewarded, no matter how high or low their score was. This way, students will be encouraged to do their best and to meet their personal goals.

October 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  77. micheal

the code is supposed to make student a better education, not to punish the student who really did try.

October 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  78. Hayden

I think this is not fair to the lowing score students. I do its fair to the higher scores for rewards, but for the lower score its a embarrassment to the students and also shows discrimination against the students who have learning disabilities who don't

October 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  79. Leticia

The idea of the colored cards was a prety god idea but they should not make the ones with lower grades go to a different luch line. They should keep on rewarding the ones with the good test grades.

October 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  80. Dreux

I think it's actually effective to have a rewarding system having children try and get better scores but segregating the students from each other and putting them in different lines really doesn't seem like a good way to express their scores.

October 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  81. Aliza

I personally really like this idea. It encourages better scores while punishng te students who didnt take the test seriously and just guessed on the answers. It als0o makes the students strive for better scores because who doesnt like free things? 🙂

October 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  82. Dilan

I think that could be so selfish for kids of lowest grades and seperate the kids from another line because that could affect school of another area and parents protest about that.

October 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  83. Aaron

I think it is a good idea because it rewards the students who take there education seriously and gives the students with the bad scores some initiative to actually put effort into there work.

October 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  84. Noble

Isn’t this just another form or segregation where we are now giving privileges to one group who is better than another based only on test scores? We need a total look at where we have come from and where we are going as well, don’t we?

October 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  85. Skylar

I think its fair because if you are not doing good in school the many prizes will provoke you to do better.

October 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  86. sami

It think that it is fair because it shows that some people need to work harder than others it may be embarrasing to the students with lower test scores but maybe that will make them work harder

October 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  87. Aidan

I'm fine with the idea of this color coded cards in fact I'd love if they did this at my own school but I do believe that they went to far with the white carded people having to go into a different line, I could hurt them, but help them realize that they need to try harder until they can get the gold or black cards.

October 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  88. Vincent

i think its a great idea that the kids that get good scores on there test should get rewarded but to humiliate kids who did bad and make them stand in a different lines, in a way its like racism but on a different scale.

October 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  89. kellee

I think it is not fair because it might make kids feel embarresd or dumb.

October 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  90. angela

my opinion is that it is not fair and that students are students and whatever grade they get they would have to stick to whatever they get for the school year.

October 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  91. Francis

I think either someone gets good or bad grades they should be respected either way. Maybe the kids who get good grades should get some privileges. But the kids who don' t get such good grades shouldn't feel discouraged because of the color ID card. And it also could turn out to be a new reason to bully other kids.

October 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  92. Ausitn

Schools usually don't allow others to make fun of other students because of race! This is basically the same concept.

October 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  93. Garrett

no i dont think its fair because it shows the kids who have good grades and the kids that have lower grades so its totaly not fair!

October 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  94. Lindsey

I think its like segragation all over again! Its not fair to the kids who dont get the BEST grades. Its showing other kids whats supposed to be CONFIDENTIAL! I mean how would you like it if other people know if you got a bad grade!

October 18, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  95. Ciara

Carl,
    If You were in school and they gave you a color coated id card depending
    on your test scores would you think its fair? that's like telling telling a child that they are not good enough! I just don't think that it is fair.

October 18, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  96. Kiki

I think the idea of color-coded I.D cards is a horrible idea. It isn't fair to the students who get low scores,it's embarrasing! How would you like it if you had to stand in a different lunch line just because you didn't do the best on your test! I find it offensive and embarassing. It's good to reward students, but not to embarrass them.

October 18, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  97. Joseph

If students had an ID card that showed how they scored on tests, it would be like a flag hanging out of everyone's pocket. This would create an environment that is too competitive. Students would be trying to outdo each other, which I doubt the school would approve. If the school allowed color coded ID cards, it would be a distraction to the majority of students just trying their best.

October 18, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  98. Emma

Dear cnn student news,
    It's not fair to give kids different colored ID cards based on how they scored. Someone could be a good student and a nice kid and still get a bad score on the standardized tests. It wouldn't be fair to do that to a kid just because of how they score. It's also not fair to stick kids in different lunch lines. That would be like seperating the popular kids from anyone who's not popular. People might start thinking differently of other people. It could really effect someone emotionaly if you give some people privalages and not the others.
    -Emma

October 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  99. Kelly

I like the idea of rewarding the kids with good test scores, but many students would most likely be embarrassed with the white normal cards and just having to be in a different lunch room then other students, and being from my friends. I also think it may lead to bullying.

October 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  100. Brittany

I think there should be color coded cards, but i don't believe in the big amount segregation they cause. While some should get more privelages, others shouldn't be embarrassed because of their test scores. We fought for the equality of all people, do we really want to lose that?

October 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  101. Keith

It is not fair for other kids that didn't do well.... I am not a good student and have a tough time–what are my incentives if I have learning issues? Do I get held back again from opportunity due to my learning style?

October 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  102. Kayleigh

I think it is kind of unfair, because not everyone is going to do great on the test. Some people have bad days, and I think it is invading their personal space when you give them cards according to what they scored. It is like telling people, 'I'm stupid. I got a bad score.' People don't need to know about other peoples business, and that's that.

October 18, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  103. Mackenzie

I think that the color-coded ID cards are very prejudice. It is a good idea to reward the students that did well but taking away priveleges of the students who didnt do well is wrong. SHowing the other students is also just humiliating

October 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm |

Well I think it is a very interesting subject. It is good to reward outstanding students but, descrimating less educated students is bad. There should be a good way to reward people without making others feel bad

October 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  105. Darby

I think that this will make the bulling worse. I believe this because the cards will show what their test scores are making them inferior. This also may hurt the kid's feelings because what if their friends have the black passes and they have a white or gold pass?

October 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  106. lexie

i think it was a bad idea, kids would get bullied for having low scores and it would probably embarass them

October 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  107. Kayleigh

I think that it was a horrible idea because the kids that didn't do good felt like they were getting less attention than the others

October 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  108. Natasha

I think it's a great idea to give benefits for students achieving beyond average and will encourage students to do better the only thing i would change is students that are under achieving or just average shouldn't have a different lunch line and stuff.

October 18, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  109. Mikayla :)

Hi I think the color code system is a way to get kids to relize that they actually have to try, you can't just say oh well i'll do the test but i'm not realy going to try. My point, if your not good at something than you have to practice, get with the program, so yes in a way, I do agree with the district...
    Sincerely,
    Mikayla 🙂

October 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  110. Doha

the color coded cards is a horrible idea! why don't they pay the students who go high scores. Money is a very good motivater

October 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  111. Lauren

I think that the color card is not such a great idea for some students . I mean the whole idea for the black card is a wonderful award and may help students strive to have that card . Although if the student has a white card... it may embarass them . Let's just stick to candy

October 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  112. Antonio

I don' think this is a good idea at all! I think it is discouraging people in their schools and it should stop.

October 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  113. Leighann

In my opinion, the color-coded cards were a good idea but a bad idea as well. Because many kids that do bad on stadardized tests are quite embarrassed that they didnt do as well as they should have so the cards are not only making them feel bad that they dnt hav mthe benefits like the other kids but also it makes fun of them and for some kids it can possibly make them feel worse or even be subjected to bullies. But on the other hand, kids who do good are standardized tests should get praised because that is so important and obviously they wouldve worked hard for their grade so they wouldve deserved it.

October 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  114. irvin

i belive this was unfair to the kids with the white cards that did not do good and specially to make them go to other lines because of their score they should not be judged by their test scores and separated.

October 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  115. Carter

I think it is fair to people who did good on their Standardized Test, but lower grading children shouldn't be treated differently. It kind of turns into segregation, if you think about it.

October 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm |

I honestly don't think it is right, I'm sure they had some kind of reasoning for it, but in the long run, it will just hurt the kids. I mean, how would you feel if you had a best friend who got a higher grade (on the test) and was getting all of the benefits, and you aren't as good as test taking, and your stuck paying for all of the events. They should be benefited but not, in that drastic of a way.

October 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  117. angel

i think that the idea was fair and that it would give kids a reason to do better but making a seperate lucnh line was going to far.

October 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  118. connor

I think its not fair but they should give the kids with the lowest scores some things like the higher grades. Also its not fair for kids with the white cards to have to sit in a different lunch line. That would make me feel dumb. the different cards just lead to more bullying and i know bullying hurts. :[

October 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  119. Chad

The color-coding program is a good idea, but kids that get a white card–other students might see this, and they'll feel embarrassed. Why do the kids who do well get so many benefits? And the failing kids have to stand in another lunch line? I mean, the white-card kids might have dyslexia or something. It's just not fair.

October 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  120. Oscar

It is a bad idea becuase that is making the low score kids look bad and maybe they might start getting bullied and pick on.

October 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  121. angel

the idea was fair and gave the kids a reason to do better but the seperate lunch line was going to far

October 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  122. Guadalupe

I think its unfair because it makes other kids feal like they are not smart.

October 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  123. Samantha

I believe the color coded cards COULD be a useful idea, if they weren't so hard onthe kids who didn't achieve as high as others. Public humiliation to them is just cruelty.

October 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  124. subhgya

i hate it. its messed up real bad. the idea of rewarding is good but it emmbarased the people who don't do good

October 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  125. Tiffany

I think it"s it dumb because the white and green card with put the student down.

October 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  126. Gabe

I think the cards are a good ideas but without the white cards. They could have the white cards for only identification purposes and it would be fine to have the other cards. It is a big embarrassment to the kids who do not do well.

October 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  127. Mariah

I think that this color coded program is unfair because it is personal to know. what you have on a test .this gives kids a chance to bully other kids for there scores.I think everyone should have the same id

October 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  128. BRYCE

IT IS NOT FAIR AT ALL.KIDS WITH LEARNING PROBLEMS NEED INCITIVES TO BE BETTER AT THAT AREA. I AM A GREAT STUDENT AND I DONT DERSIVE TO HAVE CERTIAN REWARDS FOR BEING A QUICK LEARNING.

October 18, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  129. Raheem

Yeah its awesome to get special things for doing great on tests, but other students wouldn't like standing in a different lunch line because of there test results. thats embarrassing and could lower a students self-confidence.

October 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  130. Gisselle

This program is UNFAIR because it is a great idea to praise kids with good grades,but those who dont do well are being embarresed. The teachers are practically discriminating those who dont do well in school. TEACHERS SHOULD HELP STUDENTS NOT PUNISH THEM!!!!

October 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  131. Dinah

I think they should not do that because it does not give students privaticy and then other students know their grades and start bullying them.I think they should not do that At all,... Because im against bullying! 🙂

October 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  132. ALEX

i dont think the color codeing is a good thing like carl said " it wold be inberrising for those students who got white".

October 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  133. MEGAN

I think it is okay to give people the cards . But not to make a big deal. If your school dose it and you get a colored card then keep it to your self it not a smart idle to make fun of kids who didn't get one.School should not make kids who didn't get a card do some thing differnt then what the other kids do. it makes them feel low and lets people know they got a low score. and people can start to bully them. If you get a card and some one ask if you can help them understand what thye are talking aoubt then help them.

October 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  134. Emilee

Test scored aren't the only indicator of a students performance. Things like behavior, volunteerism, and attendance are factors that should also be considered. It's not smart; it's elitist.

October 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  135. Mrs. Gacki's class

The majority of the classroom feels that it is not a "good" idea and that it is "not fair."

Having students standing in a different lunch line is a means of "public humiliation" and not a positive method of increasing a students self-worth or self esteem. We need to be mindful how we treat all of our students.

Standardized Test scores DO NOT determine a students worth or for that matter measure their intelligence. Some students test well , while others do their best work on day-to-day assignments. Each student learns in a different manner and needs to be respected for who they are.
    BAD IDEA !

October 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  136. Jaromir

After perusing about Carl Azulz's question, it seems as though color- coded ID cards should not be allowed. Looking at another students ID card can be ok or embarrassing. Great for students who have black cards. Unfortunatley, students with white will be looked down upon. Since there are different benefits for those who got a better score, that is unfair for those who wont get them. Ratioacinating about this, it seems totally unfair. Clearly, color-coded ID cards should not be permitted.

October 19, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  137. Ms.Messina class

Our class thinks this is really hurtful for students with bad grades. Students could brag about how smart they are and how dumb the other students are. This goes with anti-bullying month. Students will bully others without a card and stay we are to good for you. So we don't agree with the color coding card.

October 19, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
  138. Luc

I really think they had a good idea, but ruined it by completely making a class system. If they would have just given the people who did well, special cards, it would've just been a few people with special benefits among the other students with normal cards. What you have to realize is that kids can be cruel, and if you give them a system where everybody is divided into a class based on their intelligence, you're going to bring out the worst in them.

October 19, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
  139. Ellie

This isn't fair to any of the students. Just based on test scores? I could see it being on behavior, but I wouldn't want my school to do this. I think that all students should have the same rights, no matter what their grades are.

October 20, 2011 at 10:09 am |
  140. Katie

I think its good that if you get a good grade you should be rewarded for it ,but you should NOT get punished for accidentaly messing up on a few questions and getting a bad grade

October 20, 2011 at 10:10 am |
  141. eric

i think its kind of cool cause of the extra stuff but its kinda mean too

October 20, 2011 at 10:10 am |
  142. Aleta

I think that in a way its fair because the people who do good and get great scores should be rewarded but i think that it isn't right because the people who don't do good should will get rewards for trying.

October 20, 2011 at 10:11 am |
  143. Oriana

I think that it is a good idea to have color-coded cards. It will make people think about their grades and study harder so that they won't have to feel the embarrassment anymore.

October 20, 2011 at 10:11 am |
  144. Aaron

I think giving kids rewards for doing good on a test is a good idea, but punishing kids who did not do good is not so good.

October 20, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  145. Alexis

I think it's wrong for the students to have color coded cards, because then it would show the other students what grade you got on the test. Carl if you were a student and you got a bad color coded card and all of you're friends saw it what would you do?

October 20, 2011 at 10:15 am |
  146. Wes

The cards with discounts are fine. it rewards students for hard work and performance. although you step out of line when u segregate them in the lunch line. maybe you could just leave the white cards with no discounts.

October 20, 2011 at 10:19 am |
  147. Jhaniellee

The part about rewarding students was great. They deserve to be rewarded but when you have low scores, then there's a problem. You shouldn't ostracize someone due to their scores. No one is a paragon, people are going to make mistakes. Moreover, what if someone has a learning disability? If you're going to continue this color-coded card system, you might as well put a "I'm dumb" sign on the students with low scores. Clearly, this is not the best idea.

October 20, 2011 at 10:31 am |
  148. sara

I think that they should use the black card only so that no one will know if you got a terrible score or not. It's not fair for some students to get made fun of because they are not doing well on standerized tests. Some people could do well on them they just freak out. It's not they're fault they freak out, they just do. It also gives everyone who doesn't get a black card some privacy so no one will know whether or not they failed the test or were average.

October 20, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  149. Rachel

I don't think that is very fair to kids who didn't get a good grade. Yes you should encourage them to do better but punishing them by making them stand in a different lunch line is kinda rude. People who got good grades should be able to get something good but not earn a better prize then all other students.

October 20, 2011 at 10:43 am |
  150. Katie

I don't think it's very fair for the kids with black cards get all the fun stuff, and the kids with white have to have their own sperate lunch. Some of the kids might be embarassed by what they get on thier test.

October 20, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  151. ZAHCARIA

I WISH I COULD BE THE PRINCIPAL SO I COULD DO SOMETHING ABUOT THE EMBARRESMENT OF THE STUDENTS AT THAT SCHOOL .I HOPE THEY THINK ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO THOSE STUDENTS SO THEY WANT HAVE WALK AROND THE SCHOOL WEARING COLOR CODES.

October 20, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  152. doug

i think its is not fair because the teachers are giving away the childs grade to the school so other kids know there grade and can make fun of them and that will lead to bullying its WRONG!!!!

October 20, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
  153. Tre

I think this is discriminative. It LEAVES EVERYONE OUT. ITS NOT FAIR TO THHE KIDS HOO DONT GET GUD GRAIDS. sCHOOLS SHUDNT BE ALOUD TO DU THIS SHTUFF.

October 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  154. Andrew

This is totally unfair because some students try but just arn't as good at academic subjects as others. If anything, cards should be based off of behavior, because everyone can do good in that area.

October 20, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  155. ryan

I think that if you get a certain colored card it means that you are either very very very STUPID!!!!!!!!! or you are extremly smart.........thank you.

October 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  156. Keith

I think that student should be rewarded for their hard work, but shouldn't have to be seen as dumb if they get bad grades.

October 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  157. Carson

I think it is a good idea to have the color coded cards and reward students who get good grades. Kids need more of a reward then just good grades so they have something more to look forward to.

October 20, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  158. wes

I think this isn't right.Just because some kids get a bad score the have to stand in a different line.It's wrong.Maybe those people have ADD or ADHD or they just have a hard time learning.

October 20, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  159. George

I think that the color coded score is wrong because the kids that don't get good scores, they might feel embarrassed or bad because they don't get any reward or prize or get to sit at the same lunch table as their friends. So it is just really not fair.

October 20, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  160. Daisy.

I think that it was a good idea to give rewards to the people to get high test scores but, i don't think the kids who get lower test scores should be punished for having troubles with test. teachers should offer them help, not embarrass and take away privileges. Just because a student doesn't test well doesn't mean there a bad student.

October 20, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  161. Morgan

I think it is a way to humiluate people if they got a bad color on there id card.

October 20, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  162. Kyle

This is NOT a good way to reward students. By doing this, this lowers kids self of steam and humiliates them. It is like haveing a sticker on your head saying "I got a ________ on my test!" And putting them in separate lines, that is WRONG.

October 20, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  163. Rachel

I don not think it is fair because, all students are created equal. I don't think you should make kids feel down on them selfs even more by adding color couded name tags.

October 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  164. Ethan

Hello, Carl

I think it is not fair and if you have a bad grade average all your peers can see what your getting. This could lead to the bullying of students at that district in California.

October 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  165. Zack

Getting a low grade is bad enough, but embarrassing yourself in public because you got a low grade? That is just unfair to the people that failed! I mean, how would you feel if you had to tell the world "Hey! I failed a test!"

October 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  166. Seth

I think its very unfair, because its almost as bad as profiling people because people like teachers could easily pick on kids with worst test scores and such because of the id cards.

October 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  167. Gabriel

It's a very bad idea in many ways such as rewarding the children for something they should anyway. The different lunch line is almost like segregation all over again.

October 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  168. Jacob

i think that that the color card program is a bad idea, because all the student with a poor scores get individualized into there own group to be made fun of by the kid with better scores, if you ask me, that would feel pretty unfair. they should just take away, i mean what if a student had ADD or ADHD ? im sure they would go home feeling mad at them selves! and there faces would look like this 😡

October 20, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  169. Morgan

Putting colors on id cards can humiluate kids and could get bullied if the get low score or high. If the kids see that alot of them got A's they will be upset for kids to see what they got. It also is a good way to say that you go a bad score on test. They should'nt put kids who got A's and F's in different lines for lunch. Maybe some kids have trouble learning in school and thats a way to make them feel bad. 😦 I think it is so unfair to do that to kids.

October 20, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  170. LiYan

I think that making students have color-coded note cards is a bad idea because then if you see someone sees you have a black card then if that person doesn't want to tell, but if someone sees what color card they have then they could guess that they got a good grade. If you get a white card then if they don't want to be humiliated and doesn't tell anyone but a someone sees what color card they got they could assume what their grade is. It also isn't fair if the white card people have to stand in a different lunch line. 😦

October 20, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  171. Johnson

I think it is fair for people who work hard and earn what they deserve. But it might cause alot of trouble for the people who didnt work has hard as expected. But in the end I think that it should never have happened because it was unfair to some and could cause more bullying.

October 20, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  172. windy

i think the color coded cards are an invasion of privacy... If you do not test well that should be you and your teachers problem to handle and deal with, but it should not the entire schools to know... i think it isn't fair at all.

October 20, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  173. Gabriel

It's a horrible idea for many ways because students shouldn't be rewarded for something they should be doing already. The children with white cards are being shunned and it lowers their self-confidence.

October 20, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  174. Breezy

I think that if they were going to reward kids that had high scores that would be ok, but to give the kids who didn't have good scores a card that isn't worth anything and made the kids stand in a separate lunch line is over the top. I think it's to much pressure on the kids to get better scores and makes them feel excluded which I doubt will help the children that are struggling to get better grades.

October 20, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  175. Kelsey

I think that the color coded cards went too far when they had the students that got the white cards stand in a different lunch line and got no privledges what so ever. I also think that they shouldn't have to wear them to school. The school is increasing bullying by having them wear the cards to school and having the cards exposed to the people. It is sad if the kids that got the white cards have bad testing skills or don't have the money or time to study if they have other things going on like family issues, etc. If they are poor then their not thinking about a test. I would re-think the color coded card idea if I was the principle of that school.

October 20, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  176. noah

I think that kids with good scores shold get rewared but i dont think thay shold give out cards to make kids with bad scores look not smart.

October 20, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  177. Jeff

Hi, I'm from Taiwan.
    I think it's not a good way to classify students by this system. Although it can inspire some student with more motivation, others who are labeled with lowest scores may be feel unbalanced. So I think it has more cons than pros. Maybe the best way is how teachers inspire learning motivation of students instead of labeling them.

October 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  178. Jaylen

In my opionion I say that the color-coded system is a terrible system because what if your poor and you can't afford much stuff and you have a bad day on the day of the test. And to seperate you into two lunch lines is wrong because the people with the white cards might get the worse food like mystery meat, while the people with black and gold cards get food like pasta. And the fact that you have to wear it all around school is also embarassing. And right now the government is trying to prevent bullying and the stopping bullying in my opionion is pretty bad since in our school kids still get bullyed and in this case the color-coding system is not helping that problem.

October 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  179. Austin

I have to disagree because a different lunch line, really? It is a little embarrassing if you got a low score because everyone would know. Plus a different lunch line would be embarrassing. I think that the whole thing is rediculous just because they did good on a test doesn't mean that they should be rewarded, the reward should be the good test grade.

October 20, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  180. Hayden

yeah i think its fair because anybody can get a black card by studying hard and paying more attention in class

October 21, 2011 at 7:13 am |
  181. Nicole

Personally, I don't agree with this plan. Sure, it's great for students who did well to get rewards, but I think it's gone a little too far by making the students who did poorly stand in a different lunch line. Having the color coded cards is like the teacher announcing your grades aloud to the whole class. Nobody really likes it unless you've done well.

October 21, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  182. Gingy

I don't think its right to rank people on how well they do on standardized tests and to give benefits to the people who do better on it isn’t really fair because not everyone is good at every subject, even if they do study. Also some students that have a black or gold card may use it to brag or rub it in someone else’s face, which is basically calling them stupid and making fun of them for having difficulty learning something. What is the reasoning for this is? That is something I don’t have an answer for, but it seems inevitable that there will be some sort of conflict over this, so why do it?

October 21, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  183. Ganiya

Carl
    i dont think its nice to judge people on there scores they might of been having a bad test day.It their business what they got on their
    test. You wouldn't want nobody to know your score if it was bad sometimes got to think of other people feelings.It's really not nice to to judge. Just think would you like it.

October 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  184. Jason

No, I disagree with the color-coded cards based on test scores. The lower scoring students should should be treated equally to the higher scoring students. instead of excluding the lower scoring students, they should get some extra help in school, like tutors, homework club, mentors, etc. The higher scoring students maybe could get a special breakfast. Teachers should encourage students and parents to attend the homework clubs.

October 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  185. Alvaro

The school should use dress-code for the safety of everyone. Something terrible can happen if the policy is band.

October 21, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  186. Jennifer

I think that it is a very good idea to reward kids for doing well on standardized tests. However, I do not think that it should be taken to such an extreme that students not recieving the awards are embarassed and made an example of.

October 21, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  187. Sierra

I think it could be a really good thing but could also be very bad for some people. With some kids who are disabled this could restrict a lot because they are restricted in what they can learn so it is putting a ton of pressure on them and they wouldn't be allowed to do other fun activities. It could also be a reward for other students who did good in classes and payed attention so they could go to these events. It would also make students who did bad try harder so they could have these good rewards. Other people may not care though, so it may make a difference for some but not for others.

October 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  188. Angelina

Okay I think that class time is valuable time but please if i had a white card I would not want to be called stupid, and if I had a black card I would not like to be called a geek. Also they are kids with learning disabilities, and those "grade cards" are just dissing them. So, I DISAGREE 1,000%

October 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  189. Sean

This concept is good: Rewarding students that get good test scores. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to reward one group of students without segregating them, creating two opposing sides. The trick is to somehow reward the students that score well, without leaving the others feeling like they've been discriminated against.

October 23, 2011 at 5:19 am |
  190. Brandon

I don't think it's fair that they give students with low grades white cards and put them in different lunch lines (unless they have lines for all the different colors). It makes other kids think that they're not very smart.

October 23, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  191. samanatha

I don't think this is right!!! What if the person is struggling with the things they are learning??? And, what if they had a bad day? I don't think that it is right to seperate somebody who did good and bad on the test!!! I would certainly feel bad if i didn't do good, and everybody knew now!! People might even make fun of me and bully me if I did bad!!! I DO NOT like the idea of seperating people just because of their knowledge!

October 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  192. Sarah

I personally think think its a good idea. A person who gets good grades should get rewarded! Although it is crossing the thin line between rewards and discrimination when they have to stand in a different lunch line. Get rid of that, and it would be perfect!

October 23, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  193. Addie

This, in my opinion is not a good idea. The thought of people separating children in a different LUNCH line much less is just wrong. You don't know what kind of day they might have had on the day of a test or quiz. They should at least have the option to retest.

October 23, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  194. Amirah

I think that colored color cards are unnecessary, because it just shows who did bad and who did well. That would most likely cause lots of bullying.

October 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  195. marco

I think when you give those color coded ID cards to students others will laugh at you becuase you got bad grades in class and it vilates others privecy

October 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  196. Bailey

I think that it is wrong for school to use the cards. It is almost as bad a segregation. It would also embarrass the students with the lower scores.

October 23, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
  197. MELISSA

you cant tell really reward students with really good scores and not who don't have really good but are trying

October 23, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  198. Robert

i think that it is wrong for the school to have color card. it show the other student that they are no that smart or that they are smatter then other. it just isn't fair for the students

October 23, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
  199. Brittani

wow really? I mean some people have a disability when it comes to testing like having anxiety attacks. Just because they might fail tests doesnt mean you can limited benefits!

October 23, 2011 at 9:14 pm |
  200. James

It's like a descrimination between student. Which can lead to bullying because someone has a different color-coded card. In my opinion it is a BAD idea.

October 23, 2011 at 9:18 pm |

I think that it's not fair for a school to have color-coded cards because if a student gets a white one, it means that they have a low score on their tests and quizzes. I find that it's unfair because they have to stand in a different lunch line and I think that the school is trying to get them to raise their grades.

October 23, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  202. chrsaint

for some unknown reason,I ratiocinated that this could be a splendid idea.Amazingly,not many students try and or care about the test scores on the standardized tests.For their parents happiness, the color code would most probably make them render the thoughts of succeeding next time a test comes around.Obviously most people would want the same opportunities that another has.For example,throughout history many people have fought for the same opportunities ass those of a higher class.Thus,the issue of the cards is some thing that is worthy of going back in the school system.

October 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  203. Grace

I do not think this is the right decicion the school should make. What if the people who that thee 'white cards', dont have enough money for all the suff that the people with the highest ranked card. If the student with the white card had dyslexia and was afraid to talk to the teachers, or the parents didnt have enough time to tell them dont get good test scores because of their disability. People may make fun of the people with the white cards because its telling everyone that they are not getting good grades. And thats bullying the last thing you want in a school is bullying right? At least i would think so.

October 23, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
  204. jesse

I so strongly disagree. That just puts down kids even more. What if the kids who choose to try their best and study all the time but still just arent smart enough to pass the test. or kids who arent good at tests. That is not right at all, no kid should get down graded just because they dont pass a test they are forced to take. Some may not care and dont try but for those who do and still dont get that perfect grade that is so wrong. You should never put down a kid for their grades you should build them up and help them get better grades.

October 23, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  205. Alexis

This is a great idea for students to work hard and get more privledges. People have to work to get money, why not have students work for "extra" things?

October 23, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  206. Farah

I think it is sad to people that do t study maybe some people have family problems and just don't have the time to study and maybe so drying is called student condifientiality meaning students should have the right to trust teachers and students thinking this the right place for children to be safe I would not think it is safe to critsize kids by cards

October 24, 2011 at 12:06 am |
  207. Travis

I believe this is a bad idea. If a couple students got white card, they wouldn't want other people to laugh at him/her for getting a bad score. People with the black card my show off and make other people feel a bit of disgrace.

October 24, 2011 at 1:30 am |

Hi Carl,
    I do think this is a fair way of teaching students how grades can effect your life and embarrass you. I think this because if you get bad grades you shouldn't get the same rewards as kids who scored higher then you on test. Carl if you were a high student in your school and on every test you got an eighteen out of eighteen yet the stupidest kid in your class who got a two out of eighteen had the same rights as you. It isn't unfair because standing in separate lunch lines shows students with low grades that later in life you will be embarrassed because of your grades. It shows students that if you get good grades you will be rewarded and if you get bad grades you will be punished. If you say it isn't fair, well life isn't fair.

October 24, 2011 at 2:07 am |
  209. Lauren

Many students think the color-coded system is a bad idea, but think of how many more students would strive to get good grades. My high school uses a program where if you get good grades you can go off campus for lunch, and over half of our seniors are passing! I think it will make kids want to do well in school.

October 24, 2011 at 8:05 am |
  210. kurtis

i think it was unfair.because you are basically saying the kids with the white cards are stupid.also why would u make some kids go to a different lunch line that.finally they did the right thing to give every one the same cards and treat them fairly.

October 24, 2011 at 9:22 am |

I think that the color card idea isn't good for self-confidence for kids with white cards not only is it humiliating but it gives bully's a reason to pick on kids with white cards.

October 24, 2011 at 9:24 am |
  212. cassidy

i think that the color cards are a good idea because it would be easier to understand your grades and if your struggling or failing and you need extra help then you wouldnt have to go up to the teachers and ask what your grades were all you would have to do is get a white card.

October 24, 2011 at 9:26 am |
  213. Jami

Its not fair to the students who tried their hardest but couldn't get good grades. This should not go on

October 24, 2011 at 9:59 am |
  214. john

I think its a good idea. Because it would help encourage the students with bad grades. And it would also reward the students with good grades too.

October 24, 2011 at 9:59 am |
  215. aslam

well i think that its not fair using color coded cards , everybody should have freedom to do what they want ,They have a right too!!

October 24, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  216. Martin

I believe that the idea of using color coded cards to offer incentives was a good idea, but was taken too far. The point at which you separate people is the point at which you create inequality. Remember the civil rights movement saying "separate can never be equal." Offering discounts and rewards for good and improving grades is a great plan. It just needs to be limmited.

October 24, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  217. Anna

They need to find another way to reward students. Letting students be separated by their scores violates student confidentiality because it tells others how they did, bad or good.

October 24, 2011 at 11:40 am |
  218. Gabe

I can see the point in having color coded cards. They are trying to get their students to do better and want to achieve so they can get the black card, but what if they get picked on because they didn’t get the black or even the gold card. Sometimes kids are trying their hardest to pass a standardized test but the fact of the matter is that some kids are just not good at taking tests. If anything the cards should not be based on a standardized test, but they could be towards grades and what type of student they are.

October 24, 2011 at 11:44 am |

Wow! I'm shocked! Students shouldn't be left out of benefits just because maybe they are down a little bit. I think it's good that the black card gives the students benefits like sporting events. But, that's not good that they aren't aloud to be in the same lunch line! Student must get in trouble for D's And F's but they should still have the same respect from the teachers.

October 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
  220. Sydni

I think its wrong...kids dont need to know if others have good or bad grades...if they do that dont use ID cards, email the parents about it or use the mail...its nobodies busniess what others peoples grades are...besides you...

October 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
  221. Danny

October 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  222. Courtney

I think that it should not be able to have this Color- Coded Card thing because the people with the bad score would be treated really bad. Then the people that got a good score would be treated the best. They also would be treated bad because they would have the worst then any one else. So I think that they should not be able to do it.

October 24, 2011 at 2:05 pm |

I think that if they were to do the cards every one should be able to eat in the same lunch line, but if you were to get better or have the best scores you can do more fun stuff like help make a dance for the school, don't subtract what other people that have bad grades all you have to do is let the other people get more of a privlage. but mostly i think everyone should be treated the way they want to be treated.

October 24, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  224. Clara

Ya know, it doesn't bother me when a teacher announces my score, even if I got a low one, but I watch my classmates faces turn bright red, when some of their scores are announced.
    So I can imagine that letting the WHOLE school know your grades, might not be the best thing. AND, if you're new, have bad grades, no one knows you... I know how kids are, and they judge for stupid things.
    I think for teaching diversity, and knowing to accept everyone for who they, and not their grades could be understandable, but this.. For NO reason.. Hmm...

October 24, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  225. caitlyn

i actually agree. It could make kids want to try harder. No one wants to be known as the kid that did bad on a test. It will make kids try harder so they won't be the one known as 'dumb'.

October 24, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  226. Travontae

yes i think the color-coded system is good idea cause it makes the students get more involved in school & it gives them something to look forward to as they become successful in the classroom...with there grades

October 24, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  227. Mrs. Stemas

As an educator, I think the system is unfair to students who really try and still can't keep up with their peers. There are many signs of intelligence and it shouldn't be limited to test scores and averages!

October 26, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  228. Katelyn

I feel it is a very good idea. The kids who earn the top card might not be the most popular, so it will give them something to be proud about. And for the kids with the lower cards, they will feel embarrassed and jealous so they might want to get their grades up.

October 26, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  229. Jacob

This is not fair because it singles someone out just because of one bad test score. It also lets the other kids know that they got a bad test score. This can also lead to teasing and bullying.

October 26, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  230. Camelia

I think that this is a great motivation to students. I would like to talk to my principal if we can do the same thing. It is a great rewarded thing that I think everyone should try to participate in.

October 26, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  231. bryson

i think the color coded card idea is good like the priveliges it gives you but when you get discriminated for i dont think its fair. its like civil rights
    all over again

October 26, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  232. Morgan

I do not agree with the color code because it dosnt seem fair and it might hurt someones feelings,i would be hurt if i didnt get the same respect because i didnt make good grades!!

October 26, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  233. maya

dear carl,
    i feel this is sutch a problem. No person should be discriminated against, it's just like discriminating against a race or religion, no one should be treated like that. The teachers who created this system must be messed up, they are just kids and i bet they are trying their best!

October 26, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  234. Aime

It is a good idea to encourage the kids to do better on their tests, but singling out the kids that don't improve is going way to far. Having the students with white cards stand in a different lunch line would just make those kids with bad grades feel bad about them selves and would encourage bullies. It would basically be giving the bullies an obvious reason to make fun of those kids and humiliate them in front of the whole school.I agree with the comment that McKay's class made, "Everyone starts at white and moves through the colors as they personally show growth on their test scores." I think that this is a much better way to reward the students when they do well, but at the same time it doesn't discriminate agents or hurt the feelings of the students that don't get typically get good grades.

October 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  235. michelle

on what world is it okay to separate lunch lines from those who got good scores and those who got bad scores what was California thinking

October 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm |