.
September 12th, 2011

Reading In

Interested to hear your opinion on how a school district in Maine is trying to improve its students' reading skills: It's giving out an iPad to every kindergartner.

Handheld electronics are nothing new, and just about everybody has access to them. But when it came time for us to learn how to read, you and I didn't have iPads to help us; we had our parents, our teachers and books.

So I'd like to know your thoughts on learning from iPads, and whether you think it'd be more helpful, harmful - or if it would make no difference.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Ro'Myrus

I think that kindergarden should use i-pad because it expands there mind and let them get introduce to knew technology..

September 12, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  2. Laura

I believe that this idea could make no difference.Although we could benefit from this because it may cost less-books and supplies and teachers are never cheap,though an iPad with lessons or books in store could easily create a more suitable environment for students.

September 12, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  3. Kristin

I think it is a great idea as long as it's only used for school skills and not silly and or fun games. I love my own iPad and I use it for school when I need it. But we still need regular paper books, too. we need to all learn how to use both.

September 12, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  4. Angle

Yes, I think that it is a great idea for kindergartners to have iPads when they are reading. It will help them read and get them better at it as well.

September 12, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
  5. Justin

Yes, I think it is easier to read on a computer than it is in a book, but then it would be more of a distraction.

September 12, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
  6. Sara

I think that iPads might be a distraction to some kids and trouble to keep up. New technology is always coming out so what happens when something becomes outdated... in this economy I don't see the funds for this.

September 12, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
  7. makenna

I think that teachers should to use differerant teaching skills until the kids get the hang of everthing. Older kids should use ipads because they already have been taught.

September 12, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  8. makenna

September 12, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  9. Alanna

I do not believe that an iPad will help a kindergartner read. If a child is struggling learning how to read, then the teacher should help this child. An iPad is designed to be a portable laptop used by businesses or college professors best case scenario not a toy that really isn't teaching the child much. I also believe that the iPad use is teaching the kids that it is ok to be using electronics during class. What happened to the old fashioned paper and crayons?

September 12, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
  10. Audrey

I don't think that kindergarteners are quite old enough to be entrusted with something so expensive and complex. People should rely on true facts for learning and not technology.

September 12, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
  11. Margaret

The students learning to read with the ipad game features is a good way to start them out. But, if their only reading done is from the screen, I'd say it would ruin the effect I get out of a book's pages.

September 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
  12. adel

I think that the Ipads will help the kindergartners learn to read better.

September 12, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  13. Reilee

I think that using iPads has advantages and disadvantages. An advantage is that it could help kids read and do math better but, it could also keep them from the real world and not be playing and exercising like normal kindergardeners.

September 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  14. Gerry

Giving kids i pads to learn new things in kindergarden is a good idea because of the applacation the teachers burn up on them to teach the little ones new things. The activites on them would have to invole things about reading spelling and math skills. This would also give them a relizeing activites to do to help them learn.

September 12, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  15. Michelle

Well i guess thats the 21st century for you! Advances in technology are going to influence our education. People probably had the same fears when schools first introduced computers, and now they're used in almost every job out there. Maybie iPads have the same fate.
    This could be used in older grades as well. It could help keep the attention of the students. (Plus it would be reallly cool to learn on one of those!)

September 12, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  16. chris

being a student i'd love to use ipads but for younger kids it could be a problem. i think there better off just using paper and pencil.

September 12, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  17. Rihcus

I dont agree with this because in my opinion, it is dumb.Having interactive time with a teacher is much more helpful than an iPad.It could get the Kindergarteners addicted when they are older.Kids shouldnt get personal electronics until 2nd grade at least in my opinion.But if they are going to do it, I hope it helps.

September 12, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  18. javier

I think thats a good idea. I think the kindergartners will learn about school and technolgy.

September 12, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  19. nate

I think they get better in reading. But some will get socialy atached to the ipad becuse they will be so used to playing on it all the time. But some will improve on their reading in time becuse some kindergardens are a slow learner.

September 12, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  20. javier

I think it will help them with all subjects. But the kindergartners are lucky that they can use ipads. It can help them with technolgy when they grow up.

September 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  21. Anne

I think that kindergarteners need to be aware of the new tech things out there. Soon books will become "extinct" because kindles and online text books are sweeping the nation. Soon kindergarteners won't have a choice. I myself have iPads in my science classroom and it is a great tool because it has our journals, periodic table, and calculaters. It's a convenient tool but if you are in a budget cut, i suggest you don't.

September 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm |

I think it would make no difference at all but the students might get destracted

September 12, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
  23. javier

I think it will help them read, but they might not have time to play with friends. I think its a good idea. It will help them be better with technolgy when they grow up. They will be able to read fast.

September 12, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  24. Braxton

I think that this is an great idea.For young children to get a boost in education is very important.

September 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  25. Brian

I think learning from IPADS would be harmful and helpful, because it might help you with special Applications that have fun ways of doing subjects like math and social studies. The harmfulness of it though is that it might have kids too attached to technology.

September 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm |
  26. Jesse

It's a waste of money. The money to pay for this is coming from OUR taxes. It will probably not help at all. It shows how bad our economy is and how much worse it will get

September 12, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
  27. samantha

i think it will help because they can see it right in front of them so therefor i think the ipads will help the kindergardeners.....

September 12, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
  28. Kyla

I think the old school reading books are better for the kindergartners because if they spend to much time on the iPod, it may damage their eyesight. Most teachers would often let the class read out loud, so their voices can be heard and the teacher and hear/see how well the student is reading and pronouncing the words and letters, instead of checking about once a month on a computer and check the student's reading data.

September 12, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
  29. Julia

Who knows what the kids think of this, but i think it cool and awesome and i wish they did that when i was a kindergartner!!!! but you think that the school should use the money that will help everyone in the school, every grade not only kindergarden.

September 12, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
  30. samantha

i dont think it will help because too much games and electronics can ruin the brain.Although it could help because they will probaly always have it with them........

September 12, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
  31. Peter

This will not help kindergarteners. They may increase the kindergarteners' desire to learn, but the computer time is unhealthy. Kids already play enough computer games each day, and this extra Ipad time will not help.

September 12, 2011 at 9:22 pm |
  32. Nick

in my opinion i think having these ipads for kindergardeners is to much for them at such a young age it is always best to start off at the basics

September 12, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  33. Deseree'

I would expect it to encorage kids to read more. Its a new way to read and learn. Maybe since kindergardeners haven't read much, it may be hard to judge. I suggest it would be better for older kids.

September 12, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
  34. phil

iPads may help the kindergardeners, no denying that but if kids aren't reading well, there should be a cheaper solution to this problem. Solutions like tutoring and extra help should come first. 200,000 is way too much on a program to help kids read. It isn't worth it.

September 12, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
  35. Amanda

I think that's crazy kindergartners shouldn't learn how to use ipads and more electrons they should be playing and have fun but learn at the same
    time.

September 12, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  36. Alexa

The ipads are helping them read in games but not in real text. The teachers need to use short books to teach them real reading.

September 12, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
  37. Eric

I think that introducing our youth to technologies now will help improve their literacy, but also drive them away from common books and other traditional literature. To me, this is a double edged sword.

September 12, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
  38. Madison

I dont think it is a good idea. Maybe for older children, but I think it is to early of an age to let kids take the responsibility in Kindergarten. There might be other technology resources that they could use but for now I do not think it is a good idea for kindergartners.

September 12, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
  39. Minsun

I think it is harmful. Some thing are tangible to know and experience it. But the iPad is fake. We can't know (if we are in kindergarten) what is this feel like in iPad.
    And also if we see the pictures in iPad, our eyes will be damaged and we have to wear our glasses. It is harmful to us-especially when the person is very young.

September 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  40. yungjung

I'm from south korea and my freind have an ipad2 so when brings
    the tablet to me I always get addiction to the tablet.
    And I think I would never need a book again.
    so for kindergartner it is to early to get that Hi-Tech in ther hands.

September 12, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  41. Megan

The idea of using iPads to teach children is excellent. I think students would be very excited to use something that they use everyday for school. Plus, the wide variety of reading apps are each made to fit each student's reading skills and knowledge. However, the district should be cautious in the amount of freedom they give the kids. I defiantly know that if I was 6 and had an iPad, I would not be using it to learn how to read. Also, it would be interesting to know if the school district is paying for the iPads themselves or if the children's parents have to pay a fee for their son or daughter to receive the device.

September 12, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  42. Jae Young

Hi, I`m a student living in South Korea.

Early adpater kindergarten student is awesome, but they can't touch or smell sth on it.

Until they can feel everything about sth as same as reality on the ipad, it's good for them to go out and face eveything in real.

September 12, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Gavin

I think that ipods are harmfull because, its egsactly like watching T.V. When you watch T.V. some thing happens to you're brain and you're bound to get a head ach. Sometimes it's O.K. to use iphones to teach, but not all the time.

September 12, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Kaitlynn

I think that the IPad will help improve the students reading and math skills, as long as they dont spend too much time on the IPad and learn how to use other reading and math strategies.

September 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Ryan

I think that it will be hurting them because it will be teaching them that they have to use these devices to read. What if it dies? How are they supposed to do what they had to do on the iPad if they are only taught to do it on the iPad?

September 12, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Angel

Students don't need iPads to learn. We need better funding and smaller class sizes to allow teachers to teach a class effectively. If students can't read at grade level, then they don't need technology, they need books.

September 13, 2011 at 1:07 am |
  47. Meghan

I think that if it honestly helps the students get better grades in reading and math then they should use them, but if it only gets them hooked more to electronics and video games and things like that, then they shouldn't use them for school. Maybe they should use them as a class and do the same thing and do the work as a class on the I-Pads.

September 13, 2011 at 8:04 am |
  48. Minje

The world is developing quickly, and technology is playing a big part of that development. Providing i Pads for kindergartner will not only make their reading class more enjoyable, but it will also prepare them for the future. i Pads can also be an exceptional tool for kids that learns better visually.

September 13, 2011 at 8:04 am |
  49. Abby

I think that they are lucky, and if there are any concerns for not enough "Face Time", the students can always do it ON THE IPAD!!! There is internet on those things, so they can also IM eachother! It isnt that hard to do those things! Besides, if the parents have issues, they should contact the teachers and say that their child isnt allowed to use them. And if every school could have t hose things, the children would miss less school and there would be less talking in class, because they would be so cunsumed in the work on the IPad.

September 13, 2011 at 8:41 am |
  50. Drew

I'm a senior in High School in Kentucky, and our entire High School of 500 some students have recieved iPads. It is very effective and a very powerful, and usefule tool that allows the student body to not only learn more, but keeps us focused and attentive at all times.

September 13, 2011 at 9:10 am |
  51. kiki

I am a teacher in Tulsa, Ok. My students and I just got done watching todays edition of Student News. My students first of all think its not fair that those kids get ipads. But what student wouldn't be jealous! We discussed this topic and as a class have decided that yes they might help the students become better readers but at the same time we believe that face time is more important. My students enjoy spending time together and learning together and they also believe that they would not have the friendships and relationships they have if they spent all their time on their own ipad in class. They love group projects and spending time as a class as a whole.

September 13, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  52. Zach

The thought of that young of kids having an iPad is bad because they might not think of it as a tool for learning but a tool for them to have fun at school and playing games and not learning the basic of education like learning to write and communication skills. The good thing about having the iPad is the classroom will be more modernized.

September 13, 2011 at 9:25 am |
  53. Destinee

I don't think it's good for kids that young to have iPads because at that young of an age they would get more attached to them and not want to let them go. I think they are too young to have iPads and that if they want to improve their reading skills they can use books they don't need iPads that cost so much. They could use the money they spent on the iPads for other sources to help them with improving their reading skills. And they are also losing some other skills they may need such as writing. But a benefit of the kindergarten class is they are getting more use to technology and the technology world is getting more advanced. My school which is Becker High school just gave everyone in high school iPads to help them with homework and they have apps on the iPad that go with all the classes well most of the classes in our school. They also block downloading apps so that we focus more on schooling then playing the games. I think it is more beneficial for us high schoolers to have the iPads then the kindergartens because they are so young and they need to focus on other skills also such as writing. It does benefit them kindergartners but it is taking away other things from them.

September 13, 2011 at 9:27 am |
  54. Lilly

I love the idea of using Ipads in the classroom, but I think they would be more useful for more mature minds, such as 2nd and 3rd graders.

September 13, 2011 at 9:33 am |
  55. Rebecca

I think it's a good idea because it will help them learn a different way instead of the teachernstanding in front of the class teaching. My school each student has an I Pad and I think it is a great way to learn.

September 13, 2011 at 10:05 am |
  56. Samoht

I think the Ipad is just a distraction for the kids. While the programs will help them learn, it doesn't do a better job than a teacher and a book. Also, the interaction of reading with the class and a teacher helps build social skills much better than reading to a screen.

September 13, 2011 at 10:21 am |
  57. Teresa

I think that using the ipads is harmful. It starts to get them hooked to electronics. The games you can buy in stores can be just as fun as games that you can play on the ipad. Kids need to interact with their teacher and other kids in their class.

September 13, 2011 at 11:13 am |
  58. Evan

I think that the Ipad is a great tool for teaching but I'm not sure about the ramifications of giving the next generation a powerful tool like the ipad. It might end up being a good move if they end up having more knowledge from class and about the ipad itself. But it could be a bad move if the screen damages their eyes and they are entirely dependent on their table device. If this works it will no doubt expand the market for tablet devices.

September 13, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  59. bryant

I think the kindergarteners can do it because with all of the programs they have been doing to help them get better in class. When they do the test I think ΒΎ of them is going to pass the test. If this works I hope they get more schools doing that for the kindergarteners will really help kids get better in school.

September 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
  60. Michelle

It's a very original idea... but for kindergarteners? I think it wouldn't be a lot of help, just kids thinking about playing a particular game all day, being too attached and not focusing on other schoolwork. I understand that it would be fun but wouldn't the iPad take away from family and friend time if it was brought home? I hope this does not encourage other schools to do so because I did not learn with an iPad, just a straight forward book and I read just fine.

September 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
  61. Mariah

My grandmother is a kindergarten teacher, and she has managed to have successful classes throughout the years. I think money should be spent on better teachers/curriculum instead of Ipads.

September 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  62. Zach

I think that the I-Pad for the kindergarten students is unnecessary. During the first six years of a child’s school career, the focus is mainly on social interaction. If the social interaction is taken away from the children, the generation will not interact. Although technology in the classroom is a good thing and a good idea, it is not a good idea to give the I-Pad to a kindergartener

September 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
  63. Gage

this will not help the kindergartners because they will not have time with the other kids

September 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  64. Moyah

I don't think the kindergartners need ipads.If the children break them it could cost the school a lot of money. Then they would be saying there in need of money. The truth is if the teachers were such "good" teachers the school wouldn't need ipads. The students in the past didn't have ipads, so why should they.

September 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  65. Jude

I think that kindergarten students need more time to socialize with others in their class. Kindergarten is about learning many things in addition to reading and writing. If students receive immediate feedback from an IPad and don't have to wait for a teacher or another student, how will they learn to be more patient?

September 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  66. Jimmy

I think those kids are lucky they dont need a ipad they probly will have problems they are to young. I could yundersatad like first grade not kindergarten.

September 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  67. Lana

As my fourth period teacher said: 'Technology inhibits children's ability to dream and to create.' These kids are using something that will provide them with anything they could want, so why should they bother trying to invent something? These children are going to grow up, not knowing how to imagine things or to innovate. This is definitely not a good idea and hopefully no other schools will attempt this.

September 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  68. Elijah

I know that the school is trying new things, but I don't think you should give little kids ipads. Give it to us middle and high schoolers.First of all, we won't break a 200$ device. Second,we would know how to use them. No offense but I think that it's too early for kindergardeners to have that big of an upgrade. But that's my opinion. I kind of think it's a good idea...I mean kids get to have fun while they are learning new things. It beats siting here taking an exam!!!!!!

September 13, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  69. BHS

We don't think that it is a good idea to give Kindergarteners iPads. As high school students, it would be more beneficial to give them to our age-level. At such a young age, they will be exposed too early to computers and thus rely on them too much. It is also difficult to monitor what websites they go to when a teacher is not looking.

As high school students, we could do so much more. Our textbooks could be linked to the iPads and we would not have to carry them around. We already have grown up with social interaction and would not be as dependent on the new technology.

September 13, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  70. Shaun

You know that movie fairinheit 451 well with this we are one step closer to that a world with no books and everything done on a tablet its really sad these kids are going to most likely never read a book in the future

September 13, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  71. Jacqueline

Well I think its a great idea beacause ipads tell them how to pronouce words and shapes and colors.Sometimes teachers dont have enough time to get to every student and they usally dont learn the things they have to know.But their are concerns beacause if the kids download games then they wont be on the educatioal apps they will be on games.They will proably have better brain development with the educational apps.I truly think all kids in all grades in all schools should have one..

September 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  72. alex

i believe that they shouldn't use those ipads because all those things will do is be a distraction for them,all there going to want to do is play games and not study

September 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  73. Shaun

Also with this these kids are goin to do everything wirelessly they will not go to the libary to check out a book when they can read it on there tablet . America is gearing us for the death of literature and no longer will the written word on paper will exist. this is a sad day in the world of literature.

September 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  74. Brady

I think that what they did was a smart idea. They could learn and play at the same time.

September 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  75. Emma

I think it is a bad idea to give the kids ipads. I think it is a bad idea because they are not learning how to write with an actual pen or pencil. The ipad can distract thenm and not let them interact with other day.

September 13, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  76. Ben

I do not think that the kinder gardeners should have gotten Ipads because by spending so much time on the computer they will lose touch with reality and stop interacting with other kids.

September 13, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  77. Max

I think that the kids getting the ipads is a great idea but the teachers should give the kids a certain amount of time on their ipad's so they don't get addicted to computers or T.V.'s any type of screen. They need to be careful with these kids on the ipad's.

September 13, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  78. Michael

Its both a pro and con. It will improve their computer skills and increase their reading and spelling skills. It might decrease their communication and social skills though.

September 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  79. Richard

I think that this is a good way to teach kids to read because our technology is so advanced now. I believe that because of our latest technology advancements that the kids will be successful in becoming more literate readers. Hopefully if the kids do well with learning from the ipad then all schools can do this.

September 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  80. Rachel

I think it is good for the little kids to have the ipad's , it would be a GREAT way of having the kids pay attention and wanting to cooperate during school. The games on the ipad is a would be a good source for them to have fun learning everyday words. The ipad would say a word and the kids could repeat it back. Electronics are a great source to help make learning easier plus more fun.

September 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  81. Marielle

I think that this is a great idea for the school to distrubute individual iPads to the Kindergarteners. They will be able to interact and learn reading and writing skills in a whole new way. Though, the Kindergarten teachers should constantly watch over them and make sure that they aren't spending too much time on their iPad and being addicted to playing games on them, not learning at all. I hope that this will be educational and will help the younger ones learn.

September 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  82. Katy

I thinks its a not bad idea because the kids can learn the motion of writing letters and hearing the book when they touch the word but it is all so bad because the will be into the iPad that they don't have any social time with friends and not have enough exercise.

September 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  83. Jack

At my school we have lab tops to use in class and it helps us learn so I think the i pads are a great ida

September 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  84. Jill

I feel like iPads could really help the kinder gardeners read and write. Practicing their handwriting and playing educational games could be very helpful to their education. I don't think it would be harmful. It could be very useful.

September 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  85. Rachel

I think it is good for the little kids to have the ipad's , it would be a GREAT way of having the kids pay attention and wanting to cooperate during school. The games on the ipad would be a good source for them to have fun learning everyday words. The ipad would say a word and the kids could repeat it back. Electronics are a great source to help make learning easier plus more fun.

September 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  86. Waleel

i think thats weird because kindergarten dont need techonlogy. they dont need i pads

September 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  87. Rory

I think it will improve their reading. It would make it easier if the kids could hear the word and then play a game for them to try to spell it. This could also help them get more into reading. There in kindergarten so there not going to try and get games that there not supposed to get so there wont be any problems with anything there not supposed to do on the ipad.

September 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  88. andrea

I think the kindergarten shouldnt have the i pads that should be more for high school students because little kids dont need i pad i didnt work with one i had to work with my teacher and parents they shouldnt change it like that πŸ™‚

September 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  89. Amanda

I don't think its a good idea because it causes too much of a money waste and money should be used differently. It should be used in other ways instead of in one classroom.

September 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  90. kyle

i think the kids having access to the ipads are beneficial for the kindergartner's and bad for them at the same time because the can i have fun at the same time of learning or they can not pay attention to what they are doing and just play the game.

September 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  91. jr

i think giving i pads to 4 and 5 years old is kinda lame and uncool because its like we dont even have them and also another thing is that they can pick up easily on things that they are not supposed to be on.

September 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  92. Annamarie

At our school, we have laptops. They are helpful for blog posting (educational sites) and there are great sites. It works well and I like it. We have to do a lot more projects though. The kindergartners now have access to resources that they didn't have before. Yes, they should have IPads.

September 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  93. Kelsey

No I don't think I-pads should be allowed in kindergarten because they should be for the older grades. I don't think kindergarteners are responsible.

September 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  94. kyle

Well it sounds like the teacher are keeping their screen time to a minimum, I think it is a great idea and that they are very lucky!

September 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  95. Jeremy

i think they should have i pads because they can have access to more learning tools

September 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  96. Colin

I think that it may help them learn but as we see the world today we may not read books on paper and it will be all transfered to computer devices and that will help our nation

September 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  97. Jacob

I think that the kindergardners should not have ipads, I also don't think that the ipads will help their reading

September 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  98. glenn

I think that it would be harder for them to learn how to read because if the ipad has something wrong with it then they can't do they're lesson.If they were to use a book nothing would be wrong and it wouldn't freeze like the ipad might.

September 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  99. joseph

technology is the future i think it is a wise choice

September 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  100. Patrick

I thinks it is a bad thing because younger children are more vulnerable to video games and T.V.

September 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm |

no,i think the iPads will not help the kindergartens because we need to use paper and hand write more using computers will just make the kids lazy.

September 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  102. bubba

no cause there going to brake the i pad.

September 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  103. Bianca&Belen

we think that the iPads to kindergardners is a bad idea because when they move on to other grades they're going to be dependant of the iPads and won't be excited to learn as much.

September 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  104. Casey

I think iPads will kill their brain, it won't give them enough face to face time and the kids won't be as outgoing. They'll be more interested to electronics than people.

September 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  105. briana

i think that giving children ipads will not improve their reading scores but actually picking up a book would work a lot better. i think its just a waste of money for them to give them children one. Just wait until one of them drop it!

September 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  106. Nate

Reading from an iPad won't be any different than reading from a book.

September 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  107. Faith

I think that the ipads would be a distraction to kindergardeners, and textbooks, and teachers have worked just fine for teaching children how to read...why would they change that now?

September 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  108. kai

i think that is a way to learn but not the right way.I it is ok in High school and incollege so u save more paper.

September 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  109. Lizzie

I think that the kindergardners should not be getting Ipads.. They are way to young for it and they do not need to be on electronics. If the society is worried about the obecity today, and wanna help it, then do not start passing out Ipads in kindergarden.

September 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  110. Savannah

I think it might be a good idea if the kids are hands-on learners. They might remember what the read better if they had an iPad. The problem is that the cost of the iPads could have went to something else instead of all that money being spent in that particular item.

September 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  111. Jenny&Kiara

Why are they complaining about the governmental finance, and how they can"t pay for schools, yet they give 5 year olds IPads? School is supposed to take away the focus of electronics. Not encourage it.

September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  112. Saul

I think that giving the kids iPads is a bad idea because it could be a physicological problem to them.

September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  113. James

This is awful. Kindergartners wont be able to use the iPad to its full ability for educational purposes. There is nothing wrong with learning to read and write the "old fashion way". If they are given to anybody it should be given to middleschoolers or highschoolers who have more need of them as they are getting a higher level of education which some apps in the appstore can help with.

September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  114. Andrew

I grew up with just books, my family, and my teacher to help me learn to read. I think that face tim is way better then having an ipad. You learn to interact with people instead of having your eyes glued to an electronic. Looks to me like all of us that only had family, and our teachers turned out just fine.

September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  115. Sara

I disagree with giving kindergartners iPads. They need to work on being social with other students at this age instead of having their face stuck in a screen. This money could be spent on more instructional aides or teachers. One on one teaching with students is much better than using just a machine. Many kids get enough of this at home and this can also harm their vision. The kindergartners might have a difficult transition into first and second grade without those iPads.

September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  116. Josh

I believe the iPads are awesome, I'm using one right now.
    But when it comes to kindergarteners I think theres too much temptation to mess with the iPad rather then use it as only a tool and resource to their reading.

September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  117. Emma

I think that it will not help the kindergarteners because they are to young to use and have the responsibility. They are so young that they should just learn the hard way. I think that they would just loose the ability to just turn a book.

September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  118. Damien

I don't think I pads will help children read better.I think they need to stick to old fashion learning.

September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  119. Emily

What has happen to our economy? If the ipads help kindergardens reading improve then thats great but were relying to much on technology and .People back then didnt have technology like we do know so we dont need to over use it and take it for granted.

September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  120. Gracie

I think it will help the kids be more motivated to learn because they think the iPad is more interesting and fun than paper, but the iPads are very expensive for something that might not even help the children and the kids might break them. So overall I think that it isnt really a good idea.

September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  121. Cameron

I think it's irresponsible for these kids to be given iPad's or [almost] any other kind of electronics to learn to read... because small children do not understand how to take care of things like that.

September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm |

Yes because you can do much more on the iPad then with old style teaching the kids will learn more on them you have more sources

September 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  123. Andrew

thisi crazy i wish i had an ipad when i was in kindergarden i think they are being sploed! They are too young they probably will break them as fast as they get them

September 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  124. Whitney

I think kindergarten may be a little young for children to be learning from I-pads. For some children, it's harder to learn visually.

September 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  125. Nick

I think it will be helpful for the kids, if they do productive activities on it. With what I seen they were doing learning activities, and will probably benefit from this. There is other things they could have used though.

September 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  126. Rachel.

I am a junior in high school and we all have iPads grades 7-12. I'm our current events class we watch the student news every day. I think that IPads for kindergardeners is a little extreme. I think that the children will just look at them as a toy not a tool.

September 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  127. Cody

I think the kindergardeners will learn by using the iPads only if the teachers teach the students the lessons before they practice on the iPad. And if the teachers do other things to take them away from the iPads and don't rely all on the iPads.

September 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  128. Andy

I believe that iPads won't help kindergardeners read. All an Ipad is gunna do is show them how to spell it, they won't tell the kids how to say it. The iPads shouldnt help higher the test scores I don't know why they would. iPads teach you the same way that teachers do if not worse than teachers teach.

September 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  129. Richard

What if they break the IPADS you know how clumsy little kids are.

September 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  130. Baillee

I feel like kindergarteners will not be able to take care of their iPads and become unsocial.

September 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  131. jay

i think that in some ways it would help them learn because it's really high tech and up to date but in other ways i think it would be bad for them because a kindergartner should not be staring at a computer screen all day no matter what there doing. And i think that some parents of the children will have the same feelings that i do

September 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  132. Colton

I don't think that the iPads will help the kindergartners out because they are not old enough to know how to properly use them, or keep track of them.

September 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  133. Kelby

Kindergarten kids may be to young to use IPads. I also think that some kids need face to face contact to learn.

September 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  134. Riley

As a high school student who also recieved a personal ipad this year, I think it will help them read because the kindergarteners will want to be on the ipads in turn they will learn more reading skills.

September 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  135. Shane

To me I just think it's silly to have young people using iPads instead of the teachers. No wonder America is cutting the teachers, they are not doing their job. They had enough money to buy good teachers but instead they bought a useless computer.

September 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  136. Austin

I think it should help. It will make learning to read easier and alot more fun for the kindergardeners.

September 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  137. Katie

As a student of a high school who just received iPads this year, I think the iPads will help the Kindergartners read better. The iPads are a way to help make learning fun and new.

September 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  138. Nick

I think that the IPads will help the kindergarteners. Sure they think they're pretty cool. Everyone does. They also think that kids will sit on their iPads all day but every kid wants to get out and play.

September 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  139. Heather

I thinkn giving the kindergartner wasn't a good idea because then the teacher doesn't know how if the children reading skills are getting any better.

September 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  140. Michael

I think they kindergardeners will learn better from iPads because reading programs are different levels so they will learn on there own pace.

September 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  141. Baillee

They also won't learn how to listen and respect a teacher

September 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  142. Hayley

I feel like the outcome is based on the individual. Everyone has different ways of learning and this may or may not be a good way of figuring out if test scores will be higher with the addition of ipads. I feel like as long as the children are still getting alot of person interacting time then it will be a positive change.

September 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  143. Tessa

No because it would be exactly the same as just doing it on paper, their just doing it a different way. They still learn the same amount of things they would without it.

September 13, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  144. Sammiey

I personally believe that it isn't a good idea for kids this young to be having their teachings on Ipads. I think that it isn't a good idea because if they aren't getting possible face to face teachings with the teacher, then as they get older, they might rely in computers and technologies to help them through school.
    Teachers should try and teach all the students in one session together, rather then allowing them to try and do what they need on their own with an Ipad. Is an Ipad really going to help them learn better or is an adult teacher, that they can look up to?
    The teachers said how some students need more help then others. Then help them! Don't give them an Ipad so they can try and have fun. Sit down with them and help them through it. And if they understand it and get through it, then let them play with the Ipad.

September 13, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  145. Holly

I think that the iPads will help them read better because it's giving them a different way of learning how to read by using games and other creative activities that might make them want to learn more.

September 13, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  146. Sheraya

I think that the iPads will really help the kidnergardeners. The interactive apps are actually helpful. As long as they make sure they arent on them the whole time and that they play outside and with friends.

September 13, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  147. Robin

I think giving the iPads to kindergartens is harmful.I think at such a young age they shouldn't be involved with technology, they should be outside and playing and being little kids.

September 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm |

I dont think it will help them. They have to practice reading to get better. It doesn't matter if they read from an iPad or a regular book. Also the kids will lose the one one with teachers and other students.

September 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
  149. Teagan

Kindergarteners are too young to constantly be on a computer all day. It will prove to be a distraction for such young kids. What was wrong with good old fashioned learning?

September 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  150. Cole

I do not think that kids that age level should have ipads, I am 16 , and I have a hard time keeping track of mine . It's hard enough learning how to use the iPad , Much less try to teach that age level how to us them .

September 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  151. Nate

The iPad will help the students to read different things and want to be one the ipads but the students might get attached to the iPad and become socially awkward when they will be face to face with someone.

September 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  152. Bancroft

Bancroft middle school think that the kindergardners shouldn't get the privelage to use the ipads because they play games instead of reading. They are also way to small to be owning this device. They could also loose their vision. We also suggest that they should use them when they get older.

By Simon,Josie,Carlos,Luis,Wendy,Andrea,Melissa,and Gracie

September 13, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  153. JIAM

Dear Carl Azuz,

I strongly disagree that kindergardeners should have an ipad at that age because at their age they should learn how to read and write with books not with electronics.Also the children can become addicted to the ipad or any electronics if they learn with electronics at such a young age. They will not be accustomed using books to learn. In contribution their eye sight will start to deteriorate at a young age because they used electronics early on.

September 13, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  154. Lauren

Some of our students feel it could be harmful to young brains to expose them to the IPAD at school. Some students felt it might be good because they would be learning at an earlier age. Other students felt it might make NO difference – reading on an IPAD or a regular book.

It might deprive them of their social skills.

This is a group comment from our classroom in Wisconsin.

September 13, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  155. ethan

I think that it will improve their reading and math because its more interactive and they need that. At my school we have net books and they've helped a lot because we can do more activitys other than just boring lessons.

September 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  156. Kaci

I think it would be helpful and harmful because our school has laptops but we don't always play games to learn I think that's what will make them harmful but you never know in the future we may all live off of technology and it could be helpful.

September 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm |

Yes and No, yes because if you can teach the kids to read at a young age they will know how to read and love to read. No because if they are on the are on the ipads they will want to be on them all the time and will want to always be on some type of game.

September 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  158. Jacob

I think that it is not good to introduce such young kids to technology cause it can ruin eye site later on in the future

September 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  159. Patrick

I think it's a great new way for kindergardeners to be learning how to read and do math skills. I have to admit that I'm a little jealous because...we only get laptops. But if it improves there skills in school I don't really care.

September 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  160. Kalee

It would be very helpful for kindergartners, It wouldn't be harmful. Well it may be harmful for other people but not me.

September 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  161. jazmin

I think it is good idea but at the same time bad because it would be good to do activities but to learn it would be good to teach the old way.

September 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  162. joshua

kids are using i pads while jr high are using lab tops this day keeps getting better

September 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  163. Jennifer

It would be helpful for the kids to have the ipads because they can learn in new and fun ways. It would be harmful for them to because if they only learn by using the ipads. They should also be using normal text books or the can use laptops.

September 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  164. Levi

well i think that it wont work because they are going to wont to play on it all day every day.

September 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  165. Elana

I think this is ridiculous! When I was in kindergarten we used toys that helped us learn our ABC's and numbers and white boards and dry erase markers to learn to write. In class when Carl Azuz stated this I heard students say "Well thats a waste of money!" or "They are in kindergarten you can use books and educational toys" and I totally agree with them. I think if anyone should be getting their own iPads it should be junior high/middle school, high school, and college students.

September 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  166. Alan

i think its a great idea for the kindergartens to have the Ipads so they can learn how to use them and it will help them with the reading.

September 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  167. Bronson

Kids seem to pay more attention and learn more when they're using technology as long as those kids get off the ipads and do something else I don't think it will be a problem.

September 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm |

I think having iPads is ridiculous, Because they are in Kindergarten they don't need them...

September 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm |

Giving Ipads out to kids in Kindergarten will not be really helpfull becasue even though the teachers dont think that the kids will become out of touch with reality, they will because they learn to rely on just the technology instead of their parents and the people around them.

September 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  170. Selina

I think that giving a iPad to kindergartens are a good idea because they learn more and knowing how to use technology so they are learning two things at once technology and reading..

September 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  171. Chase

i think having Ipads for kindergartner is really dumb..i mean REALLY!! there little kids they don't really know how to use it. They May ever brake it easy because there 6 year olds. and ruin them with markers and crayons & even rob their burgers all over it.... !

September 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  172. lexi

yes and no. yes because if you teach them to read they will always want to read and love it to read. no because if you give them a ipad they will always want to be on them and also always want to be on any type of game.

September 13, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  173. nathan

I th\ink that it's harmful to the kindergartners and helpful to the school . It's helpful cause they don't have to buy books or fix them and they don't have to wast money .

September 13, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  174. Alan

It will be helpful because the kindergarthner can learn how to read and learn math.The students can learn how to learn shapes.The kids can be harnful for them.

September 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  175. Jaclyn

I think that the iPads will be helpful, but I don't think it will make a big difference. At my Junior High we use laptops. It's great for assignments but not for a teaching device.

September 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm |

I think that kindergarten should have because they will learn better because you can actual see it so you understand a little better then in a textbook.

September 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  177. Kathy

In my opinion, I think it was a very good idea, It can show the kids how technology is good for your brain. But I think it may affect the kids to use that technology everyday and non-stop.

September 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  178. frederick

why do they have that any way,they wont learn anything as simple as that

September 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  179. Chris

I agree, I think it is a good idea, It'll help the kids to not be bored and have fun with they're life.

September 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  180. Amanda

Using the iPad as a learning tool for kindergartners may improve literacy levels, but at what cost? The sooner technology is introduced to a child, the greater the risk of harming the child's social development. It would wiser to give the iPads to high school students instead, since they are old enough to appreciate it's capabilities without having their social development impaired by it.

September 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  181. Lena

I think that the iPads will not have a positive effect on the childrens' literacy skills. I learned to read quite well without the help of fancy electronics, which means it is not impossible for them to do so as well.

September 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  182. Katelyn

I believe iPads will help the children develop skills for the future. But of curse limit the time for iPads. This will also teach them not to get all 'grabby-handy' when it gets taken away.

September 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  183. Josie

I don't think its right to let the kindergarten use Ipads. The Ipads will ruin their minds and not let them use their imagination.

September 13, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  184. Morgan

I think that they will think that using technology for everything is OK, and they wont want to do regular math because they have gotten use to calculator so young. I also think they wont want to read a real book, all they will want to do is read on the iPad. I agree that it would improve math and reading skills, but i think kindergarten is a little young.

September 13, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  185. Jill

Dear CNN NEWS,
    I don't think that kindergarten should have an IPAD. They need to learn how to listen first. When they get older, they will not know how to answer questions if they don't listen and talk about it first.

September 13, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  186. john

I thing the ipads will not improve there learning. The ipads will just make them play on the computer more then socialy.

September 13, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  187. Jacob

iPad's are a good source of teaching but not near as efficent as a teacher teaching a class or 1-on-1 with a student. Kids lose alot of social time with friends and/or teachers.

September 13, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  188. Spencer

That will be good until they move up because they won't have them the next year and that will be all that they want to do and plus that is a waist of money,let the higher grades have them, such as in middle school,spend that on the econemy instead of $200,000 bucks for ipads thats what computer lab is for.

September 13, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  189. ELLA

I dont that ipads ar going to help the kidergardeners learn to read,and pase kindergarten.

September 13, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  190. Nate

I think that giving kids iPads will make it more fun for them to learn how to to read, and they will want to do the activities.
    But I also think that it's not a good idea because they most likely will become addicted to the iPads, and think they need them to learn when they really don't.

September 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  191. Jimmy

Why do Kindergardeners need to learn how to read? That sounds way too early to me, because many kids are not mentally developed at that time.

September 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  192. Randy

I think its a waste of money that can be used for more important thing because you can do a lot with $200,000 then buy i pads for for one kids

September 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  193. Jorge

No beacuse they will get into the habbit of using the computer and they wont want to work without the computer πŸ˜€

September 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  194. Abby

I am half and half. I think kindergrteners would maybe be able to learn better in class if they used an ipad. But it may also hurt them because staring into a computer or ipad could really hurt your eyes. But I could be wrong. Either way, I don't think it is a very good idea, but it IS pretty creative.

September 13, 2011 at 5:16 pm |

I think iPads for kindergarteners is a waste of money and time. Spending over $20,000 on iPads for children who don't understand the value of them is very foolish. There are children starving all ove rthe world, and tat school is spending money on one kindergarten class. Many people say and have proven that technology like that can turn into an addiction and that is so unhealthy for young minds that are learning to read. I don't think that iPads will help kindergarteners read, but slow down the process.

September 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  196. Reu

the idea of using ipads in classrooms is good. However, they should be given to older kids, not kindergardeners.

September 13, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
  197. Gernira

I think iPads can be both helpful and harmful. Yes, the iPads are helping the kids learn how to read and count, but what's going to happen when we lose these things. Kids can't grow up all of their lives depending on technology to help them. It's good to interact with other classmates because another student probably know something that one student don't understand and they can help one another. Communication is very important and without it children might not get anywhere. However, iPads can be more fun for the kids and will make them more excited about learning but, everytime it's time to learn they might look for the iPad and it won't always be there.

September 13, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  198. Brandon

A iPad for school just bacicaly add's on to the impression that the United States of America is a lazy country. Some electironic things for classrooms is ok im not saying we need to go back to chalk boards, but there is a diffrence between a projector and a iPad. A projector is fine it is a safe distance from your eyes and it's much easier on the student's and the teacher's. a iPad is only about six inches from your face, and concidering they are kindergardeners they are going to hold the iPad closer to there face. I personaly think it is a waste in school funding. I'm shure $200,000 could go a long way, you could hire a new teacher for each grade. Also this stuff about the it will help children with literacy, that is what books are for, I used them when i was n kindergarden and I turned out just fine.

September 13, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
  199. alex

I think that the classrooms should have a few i pads for play time and the kids should take turns to play with them and use the $200,000 for books and school supplies

September 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
  200. Colin

I think that it will help some. My school gives mac-books to 4th grade and above. However, a lot of kids do stuff during class that they are not supposed to. I would not be surprised if kindergartners did to, with all those games.

September 13, 2011 at 8:07 pm |

I think that giving Kindergardners IPads is a bad idea. The kids will still become too used to using the IPads that when they are older and get IPads of their own that's all they will do. And, they are little kids they are going to break the IPads. I didn't use an IPad to learn and neither did my classmates and we are all smart and can read. Also, you could do so much with $200,000 so really that was a waste of money.

September 13, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  202. Vanessa

I think this a bad idea. One reason is this is not then best time to buy iPads for every kindergartner. We have faced hurricane,wildfires & Debt. Second it is the teachers job to "TEACH" the kids if they can not read on their level the teachers shouldn't even pass them and actually help them to get to their level.

September 13, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  203. Bailey

My class believes that the idea is good just not for kindergardeners, beacause if you introduce them to computer technology so young they might never learn the really important learning techniques, like real writing.

September 13, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  204. Gabe

I think learning from iPads is a great idea for larger kindergarten classes where the teacher is not able to give their fullest attention to each and every student. I think the kids would just have more fun, because they think it is like a game and would want to keep playing. As long as they can limit time on the iPad so that the kids are not constantly on it, and are outside interacting and playing with other kids. If I was the school I would make sure that the kids leave the iPad at the school and not let them take it home. Smaller kindergarten class settings though I think that a regular teacher is capable of giving each student the attention that they deserve. I think in the long run overall it would be helpful.

September 14, 2011 at 9:34 am |
  205. Kate

iPads are the new teaching tool. Being a teacher myself, I think the incorporation of iPads in the classroom is a good thing. We have to understand that we (teachers) need to prepare our students for the world they are GOING to live in and not the world they are currently living in.

September 14, 2011 at 10:09 am |
  206. Joseph

I'm posting this comment on my Ipad which I just got because I'm in algebra 1 honors class, and I don't see how give 4 year olds 6-7 hundred dollar pieces of equipment is going to help them read I feel that the teachers and parent of present time are doing just fine.

September 14, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  207. Naevenya

The kids in that class will be too used to ipads, that can effect their attitude later in life. I think it can also effect them if they have too much screen time. It might help them read because of the technology but it could also change their life and effect their minds because of the screen and too much of it.

September 14, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
  208. Josefina

Although the iPad program could help the students and make the teacher's job easier, I think it will be helpful only for a few group of students because it's very expensive. In my opinion, the school has to provide oral education and lead the students to interact with others, and maybe parents can improve their kids education with iPads. In addition, the government should spend that money in teachers and maybe make the classes smaller. Also, computers are not good for the vision and the use of the iPads could increase the risk of eye problems.

September 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  209. dahlia

I dont think thats fair because what happens if they break it and my school cant even afford to take us on a feild trip or have an art class or spanish i think its just not fair.

September 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  210. Chase

I think that ipads will help because they have just about unlimited resources. I also think that ipads will help because of the books they can read and all the different education apps for the ipad that can help students learn better. The ipads will also be good because children can use them in class to right problems on.

September 14, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  211. Rick

I think it will help the kindegarteners with reading because kids dont always pay attention in class so that will most likely have them pay attention better because its a electronic...

September 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  212. ashton

i think that having a ipad would be a waste of money because that money could go for classroom. i have learn that reading out of a book and ipad are the same thing you read it. ipad might be new and look cool but that all it is. sooner or later something better going to come out, then what ipad are just like book something lost that people seem to not want to use/

September 14, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  213. Colin

Well i think the Ipads are a absolute waste of $200,000 and there are a lot of thinks that we can do with that money. It takes the kids out of the real world they are not getting face to face conversation with one another. And textbooks and hands on teachers would work better than Ipads would ever do!

September 14, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  214. Natasha

Using high technology may make things faster, but I think kids already have time toplay on their computers at home. The traditional textbooks makes a good habbit for kindergartens to not use technology and do things ontheir own. Teachers might also think that the ipad makes learning fun, but wasting unecessary items is wrong. They could use less money by buying more simple and educational tools that make studying interesting.

September 15, 2011 at 5:00 am |
  215. Grace

My little sister, who is in Kindergarden, uses our family's iPad for educational use. She learned numbers, math, science, and the alphabet all by using educational apps. She has thrived from the use of my family's iPad2, and I've seen a significant jump in her learning ability. Recently, at my old school, they started to use iPods to help them learn by working with educational apps. My sister spends about an hour a day on our iPad, learning "sight" words, numbers, and science.

Not only can Kindergardeners use the iPad, but I recently used my iPad to track the Atlantis Space Flight and see where it was going. The astronauts just recently visited my school! I met them all, talked with them, and even got a picture. I learned so much from them, and the iPad.

As you can see, iPads significantly improve Kindergardeners learning ability by getting them psyched to use the iPad, and for school. πŸ™‚

September 15, 2011 at 10:08 am |
  216. Jordan

My opinion about the iPads is that they can be a helpful tool in the classroom and can also improve kids learning skills. When you are having fun while you do something, it sticks in your head. But on the other side, too much iPad time might teach the kids that you can do everything in the Internet, which is not the case.

September 15, 2011 at 10:20 am |
  217. Jimmy

I believe that kindergarteners should be allowed to use iPads to learn in school. iPads are much more interactive than old fashion learning tools and are also much more fun to use. Students will be excited to use them during classroom instuction.

September 15, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  218. Grace

i think that the kindergardeners would benefit from reading using the ipads but what about the older kids, what do we get to motivate us to do good in school? the kindergardeners need to be taught that they have to earn priviledges and not be given them at such a young age

September 16, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  219. C.J.

I think the idea of using technology is outrageous. Technology gets extreme, so the technology with Apple, and all others, is still growing. I think it is just a waste of money, time, and effort.

September 16, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
  220. Nikhil

I think that old fashion tools should be used to teach the reading. Technology should only be used to do things when they cannot be done otherwise. Kindergarteners, iPads when i was in kindergarten I only had access to a Linux Ubuntu computer/1 HR month

September 17, 2011 at 10:06 am |
  221. Alisia

`my , opinion is that it really wouldnt make a big difference becasue if you think about it kindergartners are already used to having electronics the only thing that would be diffrent is that they're not being taught on the board anymore.

September 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  222. cj

first of all think it would be pretty cool to have an ipad in kindergarten, but then again face time is more important than to have an electronic in your face. I think that it would not be smart to give kids those ages an ipad. The reason why i think that is because my brother has a dsiXL and a wii and he is always on them.
    The only thing that i can say though is that i wish that my school could afford them.

September 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  223. Erin

I think the kindergardeners should not use ipads because they might not like to read exept from thechnology.

September 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  224. maribel

i think its a bad thing because there going to be playing on it than work and when they take it away the not going to want to do eny thing and they could have use the money for enducational stuff like paper note and ect.

September 17, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  225. austin

no, because kids need more face to face time not electronic time
    because then they will want to be on the i pad all the time

September 17, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  226. Colby

To give a kindergartener would be like giving a child a crayon and telling them they could write on a wall. They just dont know how to keep things looking nice. in a couple days it woud be destroyed.

September 17, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  227. james

I personnally don't think that kindergartners shouldn't use Ipads.We used our text-books and our mind!Plus, that little idea will take a HUGE bite out of our budget.It isn't right that technology is taking over little KIDS in school.TOO MUCH TECHNO!!!!These IPADS will only take over our little kids minds.

September 17, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
  228. Madison

I think that kindergardeners should not have IPads because your face is glued to a sceen instead of making eye contact. Plus kids could be playing games instead of paying attention in class. I have an IPad and it is more like a computer than a learning utensil. In the future if people want to use an IPad to teach kids typing they would just be poking a sceen instead of really typing.

September 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
  229. May

I think that children that young should not have ipads because it's at the time of their lives when their brains are still developing socially, so they need all the time they can get with other people, not a technical device.
    Hands on teaching with teachers and peers has been proven to help education more than online classes, and how is this any different? If you need more individual time, get more teachers or aids or have more group activities where every learns and develops together. That would also give the students intimacy, so that they feel more comfortable around each other.
    Technology may be advancing, but it is making children learn less and know less. More children know what "lol"means than "because". I feel that education can be useful, but it is NOT the best method for teaching children the basics they'll need in every day life or knowledge they'll need in school.

September 17, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  230. Samanatha

No, I think it would be a terrible idea to have ipads in a classroom for numerous reasons. One, can these schools afford it? And two, young kids have a short attention span, and won't be able to focus for long on an eletronic. So, if they get one on one time with a teacher, they will be able to pay attention easier. Another reason is that we are getting more dependant on eletronics already, and teachers are given a bachlers degree for nothing!!!

September 17, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  231. justin

i think ipads can be really helpful,because it is fun,so they can get kids interested in learning efficiently

September 18, 2011 at 1:32 am |
  232. Raphy

I think that iPads aren't such a good idea because Kindergandeners will find it hard to not play games during school time and it is much harder for techers to control wht the kids are doing. It is way easier to control what they are doing when you use books!

September 18, 2011 at 4:02 am |
  233. Bernadette

The i pad is not to be used by kindergarteners. What i mean by "not be used by kindergarten" is that they are to young to be using electronics. And i also so in a news article that the more the speed something has for example sesame street has something being changed every second on the screen. That is very bad for their imagination and their focus.

September 18, 2011 at 8:39 am |
  234. Katherine

I think Ipads are a brilliant way to teach the younger children...They will prepare them for the future, when technology rules the world.

September 18, 2011 at 8:53 am |
  235. isla

It is absolutely more harmful. Kids spend already too much time infront of computers and televisions, with the iPads on top of those, the eyes just aren't cut out for it all. The light on these screens vibrates so fast the eyes can't see it, but the brain most certainly can pick it up. It causes restlesness, the one thing young children aren't lacking.

September 18, 2011 at 10:15 am |
  236. Carlos

I think they should spend the money on something else like books or something they really need cause on the iPad they might break it and get destracted from.

September 18, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  237. Isabella

In some cases maybe the reading and math will get better for some kids but in reality most of these kids are going to be so fixed on having there ipad for everything that by the time they hit 1st grade they wont remember what an actual school book may look like. i don't think kindergartners will truly learn anything other than being spoiled with ipads. the school should've saved their money for something really important because what if the ipads dont work for the kids??? then there goes the thousands they spent when they couldve saved the money

September 18, 2011 at 11:29 am |
  238. Lacey

It could go both ways considering they could get technology advanced, and it MIGHT help them read. BUT, it could also make then so icolated into that iPad and they won't want to have social time with anybody else, they'll just always want to be on the iPad, computer, internet, etc. And considering you are starting them with iPad's at such a young age, they're going to grow up thinking that's all there is to life.

September 18, 2011 at 11:40 am |
  239. Natalie

From my point of view giving IPads to kids so early in age will not only spoil them but it will ruin and change a tradition. Teachers, parents and family have always been there teaching their kids how to speak, read and interact with others. These kids wont see beyond if they dont have the oportunity to. They might as well have no outside life in the future if what they've only seen is a screen that does most of the things for them. Now a days most people dont talk in person, or write letters, or buy actual books everything is done electronicly. Im not saying they should never have them, but it might be nice for a kid to know what life is like outside IPad's, IPhones and computers. Who know they might see what sometimes we're so blind to.

September 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
  240. Brenton

I feel the younger kids shouldn't have iPads because, the teachers should plan a fun innovative lesson that they teach; therefore, getting students involved and having them learn through games,song,etc.

September 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  241. Nicoleleo

I think that is it is a great idea. Its a brand new way to learn and very fun too! The kids get to learn about technology, reading and math. It helps them learn more in a more efficient and more fun way. I think it will improve their reading. It could make it easier for the kids because they could hear the word and see it, they can interact and visualize it in their heads. They could play some games that has to do with the subject that they are learning. I personally think that every grade kindergarden through 12th grade should get an ipad to learn in a better way! πŸ˜€

September 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  242. jason

HI I think that kinder shouldn't use Ipads.the reason why they shoudn't use Ipads because frist they could break them {Ipads cost about 500 bucks}.Second school shouldn't get into to much techno stuff,school is for us to learn and use books.Third they don't learn to much complex stuff enough to use the Ipads.I also think that the Ipads could maybe to complex for them, too.

September 18, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  243. Brianna

Well, i feel that you are never to young too be updated with electronics. Even now i know more than my parents online. I feel that its alwasys good to stay connected.

September 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  244. Momina

I don't think they should use ipads. We didn't use ipads, but we all still learned to read and write and whatnot very well. I could also distract kindergarteners from learning.

September 18, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
  245. Levi

I think it would because children would prefer to use the iPad more then a normal book. Its also more fun to the kids for the iPad

September 18, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  246. Amber

I think the kids need more face time. If they have iPads, they won't have facetime with their teachers, or they parents.

September 18, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  247. maddie

yes i think its an awesome idea because i have an ipod and i have already learned so much from it
    it also has very useful apps to use like a flashlight app and a mosquito-away app
    i also have about 200 other apps and i use my brothers to play facetime you can also watch movies and check your email on it

September 18, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  248. Sam

I think the ipads can be a good and bad thing, they can be good if the schools plan works and makes them smarter or it can be bad if they stop using them after kindergarden the could go home and say mommy daddy get me an ipad and be a snobby little brat.

September 18, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
  249. sergio

those ipads cost more than what the teachers make .wouldent they have tocut down on the teachers celary.

September 18, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
  250. Kat

Although I like that they are keeping up with the century, I do not agree with what that school is doing, there is no way that i'm giving my ipad to a kindergartner!!!!!!

September 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  251. alondra

If you dont understand something the computer wont explain it to you fully also it wont be fun again since is going to be a school supply

September 18, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  252. eli

i think ipads are better for the kindergartners because they can learn to read

September 19, 2011 at 7:46 am |
  253. Jaylynn

No i think they sould not use i pad's because it just get them to like computer's and games. think about it like this too it you could by 5 new playground's with that money!!!

September 19, 2011 at 8:05 am |
  254. David

I think its great for kids to get introduced to technology so early. Just as long as they don't have their head in the ipad all day. They need to read from books as well

September 19, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  255. Jourdon

I think using the ipad would be ok to use because they have certain games that has spelling and everything they have to learn

September 19, 2011 at 9:24 am |
  256. brenda

i think its not a good idea it would be easy broke

September 19, 2011 at 10:16 am |
  257. marie

i think its both because it helps but they just cant be playing just games they could also help if they theach them to read and write too!

September 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  258. kelsea

i think giving kindergardners ipads is rediculous.if they get older and there parents buy them one they will be using it all day not spending time with there families and friends ,not enough face time.

September 19, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  259. Nathan

I think the iPad would distract kinder gardeners because later on they not have the iPad later on and they will will not want to use paper and pencil but it would be better if they got the iPad in like 3rd grade or even higher

September 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  260. luis

i think that they should use the old way of teaching than using the ipad

September 19, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  261. Kevin

I think giving kindergardners is good just dont let it become a habbit.

September 19, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  262. Veronica

Are children even learning how to meet friends or what they like to do instead of putting their faces and eyes on the Ipad........ The teachers need to at least teach kids without the ipad or they will expect trhe ipad forever...??!!!

September 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  263. Veronica

How will they actually get to do active things to play around as kids to have fun!!!!!!

September 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  264. Veronica

Are the children ever going to be active without the ipad to play outside and find awesome and great friends?

September 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  265. scott

I think it would be a good ideaonly if they just use it for what it was given for

September 19, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  266. Yalexis

I think its a waste of money that can be used for more importing thing because you can do a lot with $200,000 then just buy i IPAD for one kid. You could waste that money on getting more books and supplies and even snacks for the students. :]

September 19, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  267. carlos

I think its good because of the new technology, but bad because they also have to learn something out of it

September 19, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  268. jesse

I’m not sure that it would do any harm, but i definitely don’t agree with it. Kids are already using electronics too early why get them started any sooner. Most kids are lost in their technology and not for the better of things. Are teachers getting too lazy to teach from a book or what is the deal? Sounds to me they would rather the kids teach themselves so what is the point of teachers when we can just have electronics or one day robots? Maybe it would be a good idea to show them what is out there but not let them use it and rely on it all the time.

September 19, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
  269. joshua

This would work on some conditoins 1 being great with technological devices, 2 teaching resposibility. But on the other hand, children need to be social with people, not be cooped up all day with their face stuck in a computer screen.

September 19, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  270. Chris

I think that giving ipads to kindergardeners is a waaste of money because they need to learn how to read out of a book first to develope their brains.

September 19, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  271. Desiree

I think thats awewsome that little kids get 2 use ipads because they will be learning how 2 use technology early. I want one 2

September 19, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  272. christina

i think that there is some good in this idea with little children learning the future as some companies may say but they also should be learning out of books.
    if they are spending the same amount of time on the ipads as they are in books(if they are reading books). then this will most likely turn out as being a good idea.
    i also believe that if there are littler children who are on ipads and will do well then may be the children in upper grades will do better on tests as well as younger children may do.
    another thing i believe that this could possibly be a good idea for is for children with disablities and they would be able to work on they ipads and possibly be able to work more efficent with teachers,other classmates, and other people that come in to help younger children. this will also help the children with disablities as to when they get older they may be able to get rid of their disabilties and may help to work around them.

September 19, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  273. robert

i think that kindergerden students should not use the ipads to learn how to read . i think this because they are young and they can possblitiy break the ipad. if they do that the school would have to pay a lot of money.

September 19, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  274. Mariah

I think kindergardeners need more face time ,than ipad time.
    we grew up with books and teachers and i think its only fair if they do the same no offense πŸ™‚
    -Mariah

September 19, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  275. Chelsea

I think the Kindergarteners shouldn't be allowed to have their own personal ipad at school (I don't care what they do at home). I think they would put in their minds is that computers are the best thing, always true, and can do anything. We don't want our young learners to think that. They shouldn't depend on the ipads for everything. Technogy isn't always the way to go. They might get addicticed to the thing. School isn't just for learning it is also the time to learn how to become social and to understand the meaning of life. Learning be computers doesn't give them the chance to be social. I t isn't always the time to be social just when you have time.

September 19, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  276. sadie

i think that i-pads should and shouldn't be aloud because it is easier for students to learn if they have more one on one time with their teachers. i also believe that i-pads would be a fun and new way for younger students to learn how to get used to changes in the future and new advanced ways of learning.

September 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  277. rene

I don't think they should be having ipads if they chould hear from the teacher in person.

September 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  278. misty

it is just crazy they would brake them before the days out!

September 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  279. Baylee

iPads and books are no different. If they're teaching kids how to read, they shouldn't spend thousands of dollars. If it has words, it can teach them.

September 19, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  280. erta

I don't think we need Ipads in our lives, especially when KINDERGARDENERS are the ones using them! They should be taught like everyone else, because otherwise, what's the point of having to pay the teachers, if the technology is the one doing all the work! I mean, hey, We grew up just fine without them, Right?

September 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  281. Kayla

I totally think that the Ipads will hurt the little kids because the books may be boring but they sure do work well. Those Ipads are gonna hurt them because they might become antisocial from the screens way too much. Yes I am on the side of the I pads hurting the kids.

September 19, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  282. abigail

I dont think the kindergerdeners should have them because they need to have face to face with teachers and outher kids for they dont have there face stuck in a compter all day.
    Thanks agin
    Abigail

September 19, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  283. Vamsi

I think it is bad because some kindergardeners might try some bad stuff on it in secret.

September 19, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  284. Madalyne

good luck kindergartner and a great idea i want an i a ipad

September 19, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  285. Taryn

I do think it is a good idea to give give young ones an I pad only if they earn it and if they get enough face time as well

September 19, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  286. lily

I think kindergardeners should not use them because we only learned with books and paper they should learn too.Plus its not good for them to stay on to long

September 19, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  287. Ana

How many children have to be left blind, or in need of glasses for this country to understand that technology ruins a child's mind? They will not even focus on education. Intead, they will focus on video games, and entertainment. How many more lives will we have to put to the test before we learn that our children are becoming way to focused on what should be something for professional business owners.

September 19, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
  288. alondra

i think that for little kinder gardeners that get ipads should not get iPad cause it will not help them read or anything and you guys are trying to teach us to not use electronics in school and u guys are that is going to effect their little brains cause they are just going to count on for their rest of their life's that electronics like iPad will help them but its not its just going to effect their life's schools that provide iPad for their kinder gardeners should be shamed of their selfs

September 19, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
  289. marc

I think that kindergarteners should not have ipads because number one they have books to read from. Number 2, they are kindergarteners they should not be having any ipad with them. Number 3, sense they are kindergarteners they are fragile and clumsy and might fall on one of the ipads or drop it and it would break so thats results in the government paying more money. In conclusion i think that kindergarteners should not have ipads to read.

September 19, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
  290. Alejandro

They shouldn't get to do that because then they will only read on the internet and they will get distracted and that sucks. If they were really smart and really wanted them to learn to read then they would hand out the Kindles instead of iPads.

September 19, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
  291. Savannah

If the students get I pads they should be used for educational games only. Not just games they can play for fun. The little kids probably don't know how much money they cost so they won't care if it cracks.

September 19, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
  292. Grethel

i believe that it is not such a bad idea because it helps them to grow up learning how to use the technology that we use today . it may also expand their ability to create new and better technology than ever imagined by starting at a young age . But at the same time it would only be a good idea if it is used only for learning and school , not for the children to play with the games while class is in session . its a great way to catch students attention though , instead of reading books as we might have all considered a little boring . This might help them understand a little quicker . its just a basic way to keep the schools modernized with todays technology

September 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
  293. Chynna

i think they shoudnt because they well get obsesed and want it more and more and wont really learn anything and wont be so social with other people

September 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  294. jumoke

pesonally i think that the initial idea of this phenom, was not a bad idea as a matter of fact its a pretty good idea, in my honest opinion the issue came about when the media grabbed a hold to it. i belive that scientist did test and study the theory of the ipad being able to help increase the reading rate of children. but when other political figures and scientist found that out they thought it would be an attention grabber if it were to appeal to a younger children. money and media got involved and it geared scientist to dummy the ipad child programs to get everybody invovled with this topic. thats all for now.

September 19, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  295. Kwame

No' I do't think that the kindergardners should have iPads. They ae going to get tocaught up in staying into technology instead of seeing a real face to face person. At that age they should be get technoly like that.

September 19, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
  296. jenny

i disagree the kids will might spend more attention to there ipads then there teacher

September 19, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  297. CHRISTOPHER

i think kindergardeners need to interact with other students and should not use ipads to learn off of they need to learn by a teachers lesson

September 19, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  298. benjamin

i'm not sure they should give the ipads to the children because you can bne using an electronic device and, not learn anything

September 19, 2011 at 9:04 pm |
  299. Ethan

I think that it is just showing kids how to use the technology today and they really are not learning any thing and they will just forget at the end of the year so whats the point?!

September 19, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
  300. Devon

I think that they shouldn't have ipads because they are expensive for every single kindergartner to have one. Also, kindergartners tend to drop things, so who would pay when they need to replace it? Aren't you supposed to go to school to learn and get away from the electronics? Now the schools are encouraging them.

September 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
  301. Rex

I thinck that it is unfair because we never got ipads in kindergarten.Also I think that parents are going to pay more to get there eyes checked cause there spending to much time with a i-pad.

September 19, 2011 at 9:57 pm |
  302. ashlynn

i think that kindergerden students should not need i pads to learn how to read, their are other ways to learn how to read. on the other hand its good how to learn how to use technology at a younger age because technology is always changing in the world around us.

September 19, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
  303. Beatriz

I think that they should stick to old fashion teaching skills. Kids now in days are to in to electronics a depend on them way to much that when they don't work kids don't know what to do. So i don't think it's very smart to start doing that to kids at a young age let them grow as start learning and then you can introduce the electronics to them but make sure that they can you things on there own and don't relay on it.

September 19, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  304. James!

I dont thinks its a good idea we grew up on face time and we've made it through kindergatin, maybe its there teaching methods that need to be changed.... Technolgy isn't going to help them when there paying more attention to the corolful pictures rather than the impotent things ling the actual math or subject.

September 19, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  305. krista

i think that it does help them read ,write and learn but i still think that they have more face time to talk and communicate.

September 19, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  306. sarah & cody

I think its a bad idea for kindergardeners to have ipad, because they are little and break things so it would cost more to fix then then to have them.

September 20, 2011 at 7:41 am |
  307. Dylan

I think it is completely unprofessional kids can get dum by having face time it i important to read real book play real writing,reading and langue
    also math kids need physical play

September 20, 2011 at 7:46 am |
  308. Kelsey

Personally, i think this idea is great. It gives kindergerdens a chance to learn in a fun, safe way. Maybe there are a few ways this can harm their learning skills, but as long as they are using the good apps they should be fine.

September 20, 2011 at 8:10 am |
  309. demaurkus

i think kindergerden should not use ipads to get there education. I think that they should give it to another set of group like high schoolers. why i say is because they dont hae the education to operate an ipad. And a i pad is fragile they break easy and they will trash them.

September 20, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  310. nathan

absolutly not. they will not know how to use them or what they are or why. and even if they get one then the older grades should get them as well

September 20, 2011 at 8:42 am |
  311. Megan

my opinion is that kindergarten students should not have the iPads becasue they should not be using so much technology at such a young age! it would make sense to do a couple games/learning activities on them during a small portion of the day, but i do not think they should be used for all purposes.

September 20, 2011 at 9:24 am |
  312. Brandon

It is amazing to see kids get ipads when their little it would be insane for every kid in school in america to have a ipad

September 20, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  313. Brandon

It is good for kids to be able hi tech technology when ther'ye young so they can have expierence when ther'ye older

September 20, 2011 at 9:34 am |
  314. Devin

I think it would be both helpful and harmful because it would hurt the students in the long run just like television can. It will be helpful because of the use of new technology the students are learning at a young age.

September 20, 2011 at 10:31 am |
  315. sameer

i think its Is cool to Give Them Ipods To Learn how to read, I Think it can help really help an teach the alot, But then again it does have its effects, Like breacking the ipod, But starting them to use electronics early can help them in the long run, they can learn alot about electronics and may become an techniction when they get older all i really got to say is they are going to be really smart.

September 20, 2011 at 10:41 am |
  316. Wayne

The kindergardeners should have I-pads for learning new things.

September 20, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  317. Kelsey

i think is not right to give kindregardeners i pads its the teachers fault for not teaching the kids to read the kids will think that all the grades they will get an i pad plus the money for them are thousands of dollars and i it so wrong to give them the i pad why cant the teachers hold out a book and and read plus just help them its all the teachers fault why do the teachers have books if there not going to give them to the kids.

September 20, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  318. Devin

I think that the Ipads will improve their learning and help them to read better but it might be hard to keep the ipad clean and still working

September 20, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  319. Jacob

No I don't think kindergardeners should not have ipads because they would think they would have them in the other grades so just give them the books.they should read the books and not use the tech stuff .

September 20, 2011 at 10:50 am |
  320. Morgan

I dont think the kindergardeners should have ipads because because it teaches them to play games and use electronics more than playing or interacting with other kids and teachers.Real paper books are better for your brain the some pixolized screene scrolig by.I think computers in school are good because we use them to type papers and look up things,but we dont spend all of our school time.

September 20, 2011 at 10:51 am |
  321. Katarina

I don't think that kindergardners should be using ipads to enhance their learning ability because it will decrease their social life on in the real world. They Should be using real books to learn or else they will get to used to the Ipad text and view that they wont read real books.

September 20, 2011 at 11:32 am |
  322. John

I think it could be a bad idea because it may get stolen or or abused.

September 20, 2011 at 11:33 am |
  323. hello

Ipads are not a good idea because kindergarteners will have plenty of time when they are teenagers to stick to a screen.

September 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
  324. bryce

i think that giving kindergerden students iPads is a bad idea because they will not want to put them down and not want face time.

September 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  325. Chloe

I think that kindergardners should read from books not off a computer screen. it sowed them playing games i think that they should not be playing games even if they are learning games i sill dont think that they should be using the i pads give them to someone who is more resposible not kindergardeners.

September 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  326. grace

i think that giving kindergardeners i pads is bad because they do not know how to use them poperly, and if they get it then 6th graders should get them to! and you said that there school spent 200,000 $$$ in tax paer mony so that means it comming otf our pocet books, and i don't like it.

September 20, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  327. Noah

if our country is in so much debt then why do 5 year olds get ipads.
    i personaly think that if your going to give an ipad to somone then you should give it to a child that knows how to use it.i have seen children play whith high tech stuff. for instance my brother was playing whith a ds and he lost an through the thing across the room.

September 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
  328. leah

i think its a smart but not the brightest idea most kids now are always playing on them or going on facebook i dont ever see a kid learning or using there free time to research stuff so im iffy about the idea but i personaly work better with the teacher showing me then me have a computer tell me what to do

September 20, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  329. Lynsee

Some little kids learn more from technology but many learn it more from face-time. I think that having a equal amount of each will make it better for them to interact with people and learn more.

September 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  330. Lilly

Why do kindergarteners get I pads why not a grade that actually could use them!!!!!!!

September 20, 2011 at 12:53 pm |

I dont think that kindergarten students need/ should recieve an IPad to learn how to read because it would be better for them to just learn how to read out of a book, and they might even enjoy it more! Also that school would save a ton more money if they just bought all of the kids books to read out of, and not iPads!

September 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  332. Jennifer

The fact that they are giving kindergartoners ipads could turn them into the type of kids that are only intrested in electronic gadgets an don't get any exercise. They will become lazy, an relay only on electronics. Plus they are kindergartoners they will be on game sites instead of doing class work. How are ipads going to help with reading skills some kids dont learn visually alot of them probably are kinesthetic readers. Meaning they have to move to learn hands on activities. How is staring at a glowing sqaure with words going to help. They don't even flip a page. I have nothing against electronics but they should also do some hands on stuff to so that they are getting a good combanation.

September 20, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
  333. sam

i agree completely that kids should ge there own ipads in school. it helps us leard with fun interactive games, and just being hands on with something makes a difference. if someone asked you "would you rather do work on paper or touching a screen?" any day i would say on the screen!!!

September 20, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
  334. Connor

I feel like it does not help them because some other kids might need another way to explain it and I think they would not anytime to really talk to other kids and get active. Then even thought it teaches them how would they write out that problem it justs there on the screen they don't write it out.

September 20, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  335. Zoe

I think that giving kindergardeners ipads, could be a advantage and a disadvantage. It could be an advantage because they could learn new technology, but they could also get to distracted using the new technology.

September 20, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  336. Jagger

I think Ipads for kindergartners is bad idea because they are younger and less responsible and they might break them

September 20, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  337. Lisa

I don't think they will help at all. The kids will probabky be interested in their "toys" the won't have time to learn! It's basically money wasted, but if they would have been given to an older group it would be a diffrent story.

September 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  338. Emma

I think Ipads will be a fun and easy way for the kindergarteners to read. I think we should be happy that they get special things.

September 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  339. Isaiah

I think it would be unfair to all the other students in the world because there schools don't have that kind of money right now because of economy issues.

September 20, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  340. luis

yet again i don't think that little kids should use ipads because when the little kids get more older they will not be in the habit to read a book instead they will have a scree in their face for the rest of their life.

September 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  341. carlos

Its ok to play and fun on the Ipads, but they also have to learn something out of it

September 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  342. christina

Is this a good idea for kindergardeners? Is what i asked myself. After almost one hour of thinking about it i finally found my anwser. My anwser was that this would be a good idea for younger children but not for older children . I think this is a good idea for younger children becuse they would learn how as many people put it the future.
    I also believe that this would be good idea for the younger children and older children who have learning disabilities. they would bbe able to type and leatn things in a way that may work with thier learning disablities and not around it as some thimgs that are taught may.
    I also started to think of this to be a bad idea. Ithought that it would be a bad idea bacuse thae school that is doing this may not read with their younger students. I always asumed that you would need to be able to pick up a real book or device and know what this story meant. Like the moral to it i guess.
    All in all i though that this would be both a good idea and a bad idea . but that is just my opinion.

September 20, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  343. Joey

I think that Kindergarten teachers will teach the kids how to use an iPad not teach what a kindergartner should know.

September 20, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  344. Danny

Well iPads can be fun but I think our government should use Ipads for the older kids.

September 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  345. miriam

iPads with kindergardners dont go together well. I think they should just stick to basic textbooks.

September 20, 2011 at 4:38 pm |

I Think The Kindergardens can use ipads because it can help them with their homework or their classwork if the teachers will let them use the ipads.The kindergartners will have great ideas by them using the ipads.The ipads will help them with books and learning more.

September 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  347. eddie

i think using the ipads isn't such a bad idea as long as the kids aren't to addicted to them because that could cause problems when they're meeting new people, they won't know how to act. Who knows it might even help the earth by saving paper.

September 20, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  348. Sammy

I think it's a good idea to teach kids about technology at an early age. No matter what you're opinion is, we have to accept that technology is part of our everyday lives.

September 20, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  349. Jonathan

I think that the Kindergardeners in the county are more likely to be ahead of the whole school because with the Ipad, kindergardeners have an advantage, to learn the proper keyboarding exercises, and the proper way to treat a computerized product as if it were ther own.

September 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  350. anslie

i think that kids having ipads are not helpful because their they are just playing on it and not doing anything just playing

September 20, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  351. Kent

I have no problem with kindergarrtners getting ipads from the school, but the kids should be limited to an hour a school day, only working on school related topics not just playing games.

September 20, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  352. Laura

I think that kindergaten students will be unable to use the high technology. They are 5 and 6 year old children in their first year of the big elementary school. It is a big transition from little preschool to the elementary. swo therefore the ipads might break and that would be costing the school more and more money to replace them!

September 20, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  353. Jeff

I think it is a good idea but what if they have books and haven't seen them before?

September 20, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  354. Rhiannon

I think that ipads will make no difference its just a different way for a kid to learn but more fun than righting with pencil and paper and tons of books.It would be much better with the technology we have today. πŸ™‚

September 20, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  355. Leah

I think they should'nt cause they are too little and if any one should get one it should be adults and 9-12 graders at least cause the little kids are too young still and it can hurt them when reading cause there not reading in regular books they are reading on electronic divices and it might harm them by not foucusing right in class the way regular kids have to do so they might look forward to it more than regular books and regular things in life and they might look forward to having eletic divices in life alot and ther's not that many electonics in life know that's what i think it should be But that's my opinon but other people might think diffrent though so there's multi answer's though

September 20, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
  356. sergio

i disagree on giving those kids ipads its realy a big wast of money and if one of those kids drop that ipad its going in to the schools budget. those ipads will mess with the kids personal lives and take away face time with other kids.

September 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
  357. Claudia

I personally think that this idea wouldn't make a difference and is harmful because kindergardeners are too young for these electronics and the more they are exposed to it the more adicted they will be and to me thats a bad thing. I know I wouldn't want my child always being in class and using a Ipad. Old fasion learning is much better im my point of view that way they can ask teachers and be well informed and always have reading to do. Also their grades would be better rather using and spending alot of money on Ipads or any electronic device.

September 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  358. Darrion

yes, i do think that the ipads will help them because they are only kindergardners so what could they possibly go on other than learning games

September 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  359. nernern

i think it is great

September 20, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  360. Ken

I think it would be a great way to learn adn be fun.. ^__^

September 20, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  361. Javin

I think that it's a good idea as long as they don't spend to much time in front of them. It will help them learn to read faster but they still need to play with other kids or they won't have a very good social life.

September 20, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  362. Emily

I think that the ipads are just a distraction for the kids. they're too young to try and concentrate with an electronic that has fun and addictive games on it when they're trying to improve their reading skills. maybe when they're older it might be ok, but definitely not at kindergarden. right now the kids need to improve their reading skills with out anything that will distract them. Or they should have ONE ipad for everyone to use and learn off of, just so each and one of them won't be on it playing games.If the teachers want to improve their reading skills, then have them do fun games that include everyone to do something together as a class.

September 20, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  363. Logan

i think that it is a good and a bad thing because sure the kids already know how work a ipads with ease, but i think that the overuse of them will hurt the kids reading levels with actual books. Another con is using the ipad instead of books and other kids this might affect the kindergarnders socail skills with kids their age.

September 20, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
  364. Melinda

I think that giving ipads to students is a bad idea, they will only break, it stolen and I think that we are heading into a serious addiction electronic problem if we all head that way and not enough time connecting with the real world

September 20, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
  365. Melinda

I think that giving ipads to students will only increase the chance of them getting stolen and broken. I think we are already heading into a electronic addiction problem and we shouldn't worsen it by giving the next generation electronics.

September 20, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
  366. Lowell

Think that they should get I-pads only if their good and not bad.I also. Think Carl should stop with the corny jokes.

September 20, 2011 at 9:48 pm |

I think that they should not give the kindergartner's ipads. Because they barely can read how are they going to be able to work an ipad. an my last reason is that this means tax dollars used to help the school will be used on ipads because most likey they will be broken easily.

September 20, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  368. Patrick

I think they are bad because as the kids get older and think hey are learning when all they are really doing is playing games. The kids should also learn to use strategies to figure out the words rather than tapping the word and have the Ipad say the word for them or they could just tap on every word and not learn to read.

September 21, 2011 at 7:11 am |
  369. jacob

Ipads are good for games but books are better for learning. Children need more face time than screen time.

September 21, 2011 at 7:21 am |
  370. Caroline

I don't think that Kindergarten should use iPads to learn how to read because it is better to learn from their parents and teachers and books. Plus, it is the parents and the teachers job to make sure the child knows how to read.

September 21, 2011 at 8:18 am |
  371. Brody

I think it will help kindergardeners learn how to read, write & also help gramer.

September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  372. Chandler

I think kindergerdeners should have iPads because they would learn about technology at an earlier age! Also it is more fun for them to learn! πŸ™‚

September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  373. Justin

I think it's helpful becase it will help them read,

September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  374. Zach

i think it is a bad idea to give kindergardeners having a $700 ipad they could break it or mess it up. they wouldnt know how to download reading apps anyway.

September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  375. jamerik

to some kids it prombly would be helpfull but some would get distractid

September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  376. Van

i think that they should so in the future they would know alot about things like that they could get when they wher older and they could keep them at school so they would not break them

September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  377. Whitlei

I think its helpful to them because it can teach them how to spell, sound out words and other things πŸ™‚

September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  378. Hailey

I think that if kindergarten gets ipads that it will help them learn better instead of using books and because there so interested in the ipad theyll want to know how to read and write

September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  379. Jared

Well lets just say a kid has it on his desk he has snack lets say it was a juice box. he spills it all over the ipad.
    The teachers will have to be carefull about if they go onto the internet and click on a spam then you got got a problem but overall its a good idea.

September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  380. Rebecca

I think that the Kindergerden Should use both books and Ipads.

September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  381. ernesto

i think it will help kindergardners because with the ipad the kids will learn how to spell,read,write andcoul make there futer good

September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  382. Alyssa

I think it is helpful because when they grow up they will know how to type iin middle school and have an idea how to spell and sound out there words

September 21, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  383. Jacob

I think this is a good idea because it may really help the kindergardners alot i wish i could get one

September 21, 2011 at 9:14 am |

Wesley, well it chould help them in some ways but are they not scared that the liltle kids whoud beak them?[][]

September 21, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  385. Carley

In my opinion i think it would be helpful to kids learn how to spell and read. the reason why i think that is becuase in 6th grade, we use computers to do work and it helps us. i think the should be able to use them.

September 21, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  386. David

I think its great that these kids get to use ipads just as long as it does not interfere with books a whole lot. Kids should still learn to use books as well as this new technology

September 21, 2011 at 9:18 am |
  387. Rachel

Well to tell you the truth, if we didn't get them when we were younger then they shouldn't be able to use them. They will be able to adapt to the books instead of reading of the internet.

September 21, 2011 at 9:43 am |
  388. Alicia

I think they should have them once a week not every day. If they have them every day it could take them away from socializing with other kids.

September 21, 2011 at 10:42 am |
  389. Marina

Although the idea of an iPad helping individuals learn to read may be good, isn't it also a fact that research had proven that most children these days use too much of their timewith electronics, not outdoors, or reading? I believe that this is only encouraging children at a young age that technology is the enswer to anything, and they could grow up to become attuned to technology, verses the outdoors.

September 21, 2011 at 11:39 am |
  390. jasper

This is what I think people in school should be doing thay should have face time not ipad time. If teachers allow students to have an ipad I would rather have more recess. if students have ipads there brains will get used to not seeing other students like me.

September 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  391. Katie

I think that this is a creative idea, but definently not the smartest one. Kindegarteners should learn using hard copy books and actual materials because if they use iPads every day, then they will think that they can always use electronics at home too. If they think that is okay, then they will become "addicted" to electronics, and expect to be allowed to use them on a day-to-day basis, and that is just not healthy.

September 21, 2011 at 1:08 pm |

Learning from iPads does have its benefits, but on the other hand, the kindergartners should be learning how to read from a hard copy book

September 21, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  393. kailey

It's a great idea! but how can you learn to read on an ipad? I can down load and read books on my Kindle, but an ipad isn't a Kindle.

September 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  394. Rylee

I do don't think kindergardeners should all have their own iPads because
    I don't think iPads help with anything that involves school. I think iPads in school rot your brain!

September 21, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  395. Natalie

I think that they should read books now because they can write on the ipads. They can brack the ipads a lot if we are not careful. I still think that they can write on the ipads.

September 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  396. keaton

I think it is no fair to the other grades. If they get ipads the other grades deserve some too. It may help with reading but what about math and other subjects?

September 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  397. Joseph

Are they crazy! Think how much things could happen they could get stolen or broken. Don't they need the money for other stuff like lunch and books and when they get older they get older they will think ipads are part of learning.

September 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  398. cooper

I think that it wont make a differance because you can also read books on an i pad

September 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  399. ryan

I think it is awesome that they get ipads!!!!

September 21, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  400. EMMA

I think that kindergardeners shouldn't get an I pad.But they can , they just should not get them for very long.

September 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  401. caden

what a waste of the brain! read books! not reading on an ipad!

September 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  402. Makenna

I think they shouldn't. Because then they are older they would they would be always on the computer,and would play lots of video games

September 21, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  403. Sarah

I think that kindergardners should most definateley not have Ipads. If the students in this century can deal withut them and still have a good education why cant they? Not everything has to be about electronics all the time!

September 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  404. Jayda

When I was in Kindergartne I used paper back books and I am in a honors L.A. class. Just because if was given to them doesn't mean they understand what it is used for.

September 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  405. izaiah

i think kinder should have a ipad so they learn faster

September 21, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  406. lorenzo

i think this would be great for kindergartens.they should get an ipad so they can trace letters and have fun at the same time , but they should have warrenty if they crack a screen or break it and stuff.i hope this plan is a success .

September 21, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  407. Toshi

I think that kindergarteners should use I pads because the app store has so many different verieties and it would be good for their learning.

September 21, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  408. Demetri =)

They shouldn't because they will count on technology for everything thats what i think =)

September 21, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  409. Aldrin

Yeah use the iPad! :]

September 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  410. Kateleen

I think kindergerdeners should not use Ipads because it would cause a distration to them

September 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  411. Julia

I think they need to know how to use advanced things before they are all grown up and get a head start

September 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  412. jose

i think they will let them use them

September 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  413. Jeenifer

yes i think kindergerden should have a ipad because it they will learn more

September 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  414. maddy

i think the ipads might help edgucate the kindergerden classes

September 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  415. taylor

i think it might not be safe because they might brake it

September 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  416. Elizabeth

I don't think that kindergardners should use ipads because what are the supose to do on it? Play games i don't think that is good for their brains!

September 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  417. danica

kindergartener should not use ipads because they brake it they don't have ipads.

September 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  418. Karen

I think what the girl is doing is right

September 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  419. devin

I agree with rocyres the i pad will open their minds

September 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  420. Christian

I think it might not help because its probably to confusing to use, especialy a kindergartner. How would it help to read? Isnt it the same as reading it straight from a book?

September 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  421. EJ

Kindergarden kids should not have I Pads because they are young and weak and are to little...

September 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  422. Brittany

I think its wonderful that little kindergarden get ipads but the might break them but i think they should get them but the should have ipad cover or something ethier way they'll all learn how to read.

September 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  423. Jennifer

I think its a nice idea that the kindergarden could use an ipad!!! But what about if they brake the ipad or damege it?? what would happen??

September 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  424. ojhani

i think kindergartners should get a ipod because it has more abillatys to do more stuff then a book

September 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  425. Lupita(:

i think that kindergartner's should get an iPad it would help them get a better education and incourage them in reading.They would also want to read more since it would be fun on an iPad

September 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm |

i think that kindergarden shoudn't have ipades because i think that its better that teachers shoudld teach us.

September 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  427. Cayla

I Think Kindergarden Studens Should Get IPads Because It Will Expand Their Minds And Introduce Them 2 New Technolgy

September 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  428. Demetri =)

I also think that it cost to much and they can break it and all that money you spent u have to spend agian its true use books thats why there there lets not make the chilren stuipd and upnoxious over tecnoegy please do listen to the people who said its good cause its not =)

September 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  429. Floyd

I think they should not give kindergerdeners I-pads because they would just break it and use it for no reason and start downloading thing just for fun. My second reason is they are too young to have expensive things to play with and lose, you guys should give it to older student that deserves it more. the third reason is they are going to get it messy.

September 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  430. Aaron

I think that ipads have no difference than learning with books and teachers.

September 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  431. keila

i think that kindergarden should not have ipades because i think that teachers should teach us

September 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  432. Floyd

Give it to the older kids in 6-collage.

September 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  433. Ru

I don't think that is a good choice. The kindergarteners should learn by reading the way everyone did. Plus if they are used to looking at a screen it could turn out to be bad for their young eyes.

September 21, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  434. Matthew

Carl i think that it would be better to uses older reading tecnics then to yous the ipad

September 21, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  435. Nick

Dear Carl Azuz,
    I think it might be afficent to have technology in our school learning because kids might be more excited or looking forward to spelling, math, etc.

September 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  436. Kandyse

I don't think giving kindergartners an ipad is a very good idea. Why you might ask? Well first, giving all kindergartners a $600 item is not good because we are suppost to be spending more time away from the computer, not with are heads buried in. Also, that money could be spent on MUCH better things like a new school or food for homless shelters.

September 21, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  437. Mandy

The outragous cost on top of the fact they might hurt it makes me think it's a bad idea. On the other hand, I know that there are excellent apps out there to help kids learn,(reading, writing, math, science, history, etc.) But they will still need social time with other students, otherwise the outcome might be isolation from students when they are in, say, Middle School. Kindergarden sets everything up for the future. Don't ruin their socialiability this young.

September 21, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  438. Leah

September 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  439. Haley

My brother plays with an ipad and all he does is play action games on it. There's no way hes going to play educational games on it.He's in kindergarten.What if they break the ipad?Who will spend their money to get the $500.00 2nd ipad? Children need to make friends.Not on an portable computer! Why not do it oldschool like me?Parents should read to their kids and not to expect a computer to do it for them.If we depend on an ipad we might as well have robot teachers!

September 21, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  440. Allison

I do not think people should give Kindergarteners iPads because they aren't learning anything from it. All the people are doing is letting them play games all day. Also, if adults have been making such a big deal about kids and there screen time they are being hypocrites! That's all I have to say so ya!

September 21, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  441. Izayah

I think the kindergarteners should use books an not the ipads because for one they are 5 or 6 years young and if they start with ipads now they will start to be hooked on the computer or other screens by the time there 8 to 9 years young.

September 21, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  442. Connor

Should Kindergardeners have I-Pads to learn and read
    No because it looked like there was mostly games and they only counted less then 10. If al the schools get together and get an I-Pad, we wont have any books so the Libraians will loose there jobs. The kids would become spoiled wouldnt want to do there class work, and would not want to let the I-Pads go or anything else but play on the I-Pads.

September 21, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  443. Gena

I think it will be more helpful to kindergarteners. They will get to know the technology in our world and plus the ipad will interest them and it will make them want to learn more.

September 21, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  444. Kristin

I don't think kindergartners should not have Ipads because if they break the Ipads it's going to be a lot of money to replace the Ipad and also the screen light might make their eye sight go bad. It's better for the kids to read real books because if they rip the book it does not cost as much money to buy a book new then to buy on the Ipad.

September 21, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  445. Ethan

I personally think that using iPads at this young age wouldn't be such a great idea. I think using them just for a young audiences schoolwork wouldn't be more helpful than what we are already doing. It would just cost money. Also kids at that age might not be able to handle such expensive technical equipment making children get off topic while learning. I say stick to what we have. It works and there is no reason to spend more money.

September 21, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
  446. Lindsay

I think giving i pads to kindergardeners will be better than giving i pads to older grade students... as long as they dont know how to get to games and stuff like that.

September 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  447. Hunter

I don`t think little kids should get ipads i think older kids should get them u can restrict things on ipads (like the App store) or whatever u want the kids not to get in to

September 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  448. Jessica

I personaly think that that having i pads for reading and doing other work is good. I think it is good because they can actually can interact with the i pad were they would just stare a book most of the time. πŸ™‚

September 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
  449. Claire

I think kindergarteners should use books because first, they might break the IPAD and second, because young kids shouldn't be hooked up to the computer so much.

September 21, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
  450. David

They're better off learning the old fashion way. Spending loads of money for the IPads is a waste. They're probably going to use the Ipads to play game instead.

September 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  451. Naomy

You weren't supose to encorage kids with expensive inipropiate big tecnoligy you were supose to make them learn thats how you were supose encorage them.

September 21, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
  452. JacoB

Ipads are great for games but books are better for learning.It is important for children to have more face time than screen time. If children don't have an enough face time the children will be rude to every one they see, but if the teachers take the ipads away and taught with books the children would be nice to everyone they see. Next year they would know how to learn by books in stead of ipads.if ipads are only given to one grade level then they don't need to give out the ipads at school. Children in all grades should get some not just one.

September 22, 2011 at 7:10 am |
  453. Dexter

I dont think giving kindergarteners ipads is going to be helpful for them because it will not tell them everything they need to know, i think they should recieve books and better learning skill.

September 22, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  454. Susan

If a society is worried about going 'green', giving an iPad to a kindergartener shouldn't even be on the list. The amount of energy, resources and mining it takes to create an iPad is hardly green. A pencil, a piece of paper and the will to learn is all that is needed. The founders of this country did it!

September 22, 2011 at 9:15 am |
  455. Matty, Laeti, Johanna

We disagree with I pad at school for kids 'cause there are more and more geeks in the world. Even if for us, I pads are great things to study but with moderatly.

From France.

September 22, 2011 at 9:38 am |
  456. Henry

First, why would you leave a five year old responsible for an I pad. secondly, It is not only easier, it is better to just use a normal book, teacher, or planet

September 22, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  457. Marie-Celine

We're writting from France and in our country, traditional ways of learning are essential for us and ipads are mainly used by adults and professionals. Indeed we think that ipads at school are not suitable for children because they're already surrounded by new technologies, and they need to learn what the book is.

September 22, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  458. Angela, Marie and Estelle

We disagree with using Ipads at school because children are really too young to learn to read and write with computers. They don't need new technologies to develop their abilities. Ipads should be used by students and not children. STOP ADDICTION !!!

3 students from France πŸ™‚

September 22, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  459. Clara and Djanzimatie

We agree with using new technologies to learn at school because they are part of our future . children can read and write more quickly. Work is easier for the teacher because he can help them discover other worlds. Student in France

September 22, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  460. Carly

I dont think ipads should be used for everything when it comes to a kindergartner because i think that with them being on it all the time it could cause them to have eye problems like i do now because i have my face stuck in a computer all the time.

September 22, 2011 at 10:33 am |
  461. Christine

I know this sounds weird but I am using an IPad right now but honestly I think it wouldn't make much of a difference because they would learn the exact same thing on paper or with a teacher. So I think that school is wasting it's money.

September 22, 2011 at 10:56 am |
  462. Mylène et Cynthia

I disagree with the using of ipads at school because kids are realy too young and they could be addicted to day one day. Kids could forget playing with friends and stay at home to be with new technologie.

September 22, 2011 at 11:24 am |
  463. Aurore and Audrey

We agree with using of IPads at school because it's a solution to children's difficulties. IPad offrs many activities to improve mental faculties. But the using of IPads should not be always not to forget routine use of pens and books !

Bye bye

September 22, 2011 at 11:30 am |
  464. CΓ©line and Cindy

We DISAPPROVE of the use of I pads at school. Children are too young to work on I pads. We think the risk to be illeterate is very very very important. They don't need of I pads to learn reading and writting at this age !!

September 22, 2011 at 11:32 am |
  465. Jeanne et Aline

Using I-pads at school is interesting because they increase the motivation for pupils. But, we disagree with this utilisation as children will be in their world, they might cut themselves from the others. It's maybe interacting but I-pads will become an addiction for them. Moreover, it's overpriced for the district. Come what may, it's interessant for students because they are older.

From 2 students in France!

September 22, 2011 at 11:33 am |
  466. Nathalie

Hello !! This video is very interesting ... I think i pads at school are good when children don't use them every day. However they will never read a book if they always work with i pads. That 's why it's important that they keep contact with their teachers and the other children. Using I pads once a week can be better than every day. They mustn't become addicted to their i pads !! 😦

September 22, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  467. Camille, Justine and Charlotte ( France)

In our opinion using I pads at school is a good idea cause the teacher can pay individual attention to children. And what's more and it allows children to be more autonomus !
    However, they may become addicted to new technologies and become solitary people who live in a paralell word !
    And children are already all the time in front of TV or their computer at home !
    Moreover, I pads cost a lot for the school while the money could be used for other things as trips ... !!! πŸ™‚

September 22, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  468. marion and malorie

I pads at school are good because children are part of a society which evoluting all the time πŸ™‚
    However, the use of I pads in school can be bad to children because lead to the dependance and the desosialisation and the consequence is that children don't know unravel ... =)

September 22, 2011 at 11:38 am |
  469. Tanner

Though I am a huge believer in advancing with the times and the changes in technology, I believe it is a bad idea to give these i-Pads to extremely young children. I think there is something about holding a book in your hand and learning to read the old-fashioned way that is just nice and right. I fear that younger children will not treat the i-Pads correctly and eventually may use them for other materials (accessing internet, games, etc.). If teachers can make sure that the technology is used only for educational purposes and it works, then maybe they should give it a shot.

September 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm |