.
August 30th, 2011

Good Business or Bad Taste?

One of the grocery store's employees puts it like this:  "The goal is very simple:  to increase the sales by making our customers hungry, satisfied and happy."  The store tries to do that by using machines to spread artificial scents, like bacon and chocolate, around the store.

What do you think of this:  Is it good business or bad taste?

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Rose

Consumers are easily fooled. We should learn how to be smarter shoppers so that we don't fall victim to these kinds of ploys. You can't blame grocery stores for taking advantage of uneducated shoppers.

August 30, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  2. KyLee

I think that it is a bad idea... when my sister smells blueberry muffins she gets a horrible headache and feels like she is going to throw up. When we cook blueberry muffins she has to leave the house. You never know if people are allergic or just can’t stand the smell you put out. I think you should just have taste samples around.

August 30, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  3. Emily

I think it is good buisness, but there could be people who don't like some smells. For example, I hate grapes.

August 30, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  4. Cassandra

that can be good and bad. what if you get sick from the smell of bacon? what if you love bacon? personally, i love bacon, but if i smell it in the grocery store all the time, i will get nauseous and go to a different store.

August 30, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  5. Bennie

As a businessnperspective i think its a great idea because when I'm in the store and I'm hungrey I want to buy more

August 30, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  6. Ben

This is a horrible idea. This is a cheap way for a store to get more money. Sure, it's smart. But if people are getting hungrier and buying more, that means they're spending more. They may soon find that it's be cheaper at a different store.

August 30, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  7. Kimmi

Appealing to the olfactory sense is a great idea for attracting customers, but it would benefit the producers more if the products they sell are actually good.

August 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
  8. vo

i think that good idea, but artifical sense may be cause problem for customer health.
    if I a shoper, I also do that. But i only chose artifical good for health. and i want to bump another scents which reduce heavy smell of cosmic and detergent in suppermarket.

August 30, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
  9. Nicole

This will be a good idea because I won't eat anything that i can't smell and if it smells bad i won't eat it.

August 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
  10. Merrick

I think this is a great idea, but could waste money. It is a good thing to have good smells when you walk in a store and it puts a good reputation on it.

August 30, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Angie

Well, the sales went up by 5% so obviously it's a good idea. Theres evidence that it worked, and the idea, even without the increase of sales to back it up, was a creative, and nice touch to the story, and makes sense. Surely, it'd be nice to smell some nice aromas when you go to the supermarket , instead of the same old same old. It sets this market apart from every other market. Bravo 😀

August 30, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Kevin

That is one of the tradional marketing method. And we can experience this good smell at the store like Cafe, Bakery, and Cafeteria. But I wonder it is really good for our health. First, it might cause health problem using artificial materials. Second, it make us have more food than average.

August 31, 2011 at 12:20 am |
  13. Jaeyeong

I think it's not that good because customers need to get exact good one for their health and meals, but if the market trick them with the fake smell, customers would not be able to get good food or stuff. I think it should be changed quickly to proper market because customers' proper choice is more important than the market's margin.

August 31, 2011 at 2:10 am |
  14. Rieko

I'm not happy about this way of marketing. Smell is artificial and it makes me feel like being deceived specially when the store is failing to handle fresh foods.

August 31, 2011 at 2:16 am |
  15. lee

Trying to attract cusomters by giving them a sense of hunger is only working to those who don't write down a shopping list. If my mom goes to the grocery shop, what she is likely to do is to check off a list while resisting human's instinct.

August 31, 2011 at 3:38 am |
  16. Stas

I think that stores have no right to use these artificial machines, because the smell of food usually indicates if it is fresh or not. So using these artificial machines is going to be confusing.

August 31, 2011 at 3:55 am |
  17. angus

it is a pretty smart plan,but think of the side affects it could invite unwanted vistors like mice,even if the smell is artificial im just sayin

August 31, 2011 at 8:03 am |
  18. Alice

I think it is a great buissness choice. If my store had the smell intensified I would be more intrigued and check out the food more closely.

August 31, 2011 at 8:24 am |
  19. christopher

I think it is a very good idea. I would definitely buy more things if i could smell their scent a bit stronger

August 31, 2011 at 8:32 am |
  20. sydney

I think it is good bussiness because it was probably a prettty good store before but when you add these secents in then its going to get more bussiness by having these scents.

August 31, 2011 at 8:33 am |
  21. Rebecca

i think it is bad tatste because if a person doesnt want to buy it in the first place, i honestly dont think a smell would make it any better.

August 31, 2011 at 8:42 am |
  22. Robbie

I think it would be bad taste because alot of people can't afford food now. If that's the case people would spend all their money at once and could run out of food while they're waiting for their money. The way I feel is the price should lower a little bit so everyone can afford their food and bills not try to trick people into buying more. It is getting harder anymore to make money so your family can eat.

August 31, 2011 at 8:43 am |
  23. Leigh

I think it was a good idea because it made people buy more things.

August 31, 2011 at 8:56 am |
  24. Sarah

I thought it was a good idea, because it attracted customers to the products, and the customers also said how the machines made things smell more fresh, as well.

August 31, 2011 at 8:56 am |
  25. Lisey

I think this was a really good idea, because I love walking around just smelling good smells, and I will admit when I smell something like chocolate as I walk through the candy aisle I will buy more than I originally intended to, so it is very good business.

August 31, 2011 at 8:57 am |
  26. Julia

I think this was a weird, but good idea. I don't think it will work on everyone but some people would go for it. I personally would not cause I am a very picky eater and that comes from what i smell so if i dont like the smell, which is very likely, i will want to leave.

August 31, 2011 at 8:58 am |
  27. Sierra

I think the grocery store owners/employees have good reason for doing this. As a customer I would enjoy coming to the grocery store and having the machines spread artificial scents. When I smell food, I am more likely to buy it. As long as the store is increasing in sales, I think they should continue to do it.

August 31, 2011 at 8:58 am |
  28. Bridget

I think this is a waste of money because there are other more important things that need to be addressed, and I think that the money should be going towards something like helping the people affected by Hurricane Irene rather than boosting the scents in a grocery store.

August 31, 2011 at 8:58 am |
  29. Rachel

I think that it wasn't a key factor in business because the smell maybe only appeals to some people and others may not like the smells because it could distract them from shopping or it can turn them away from shopping. So I think it is bad taste. Natural smells are better than artificial and especially with meats like salamis, I think that would be a turn off for business because no one wants to be in a room that smells like deli meat. To a certain extent it is good business, but overall i disagree with it.

August 31, 2011 at 8:58 am |
  30. Allie

I agree with what the grocery store is doing, it is an advertising tactic that not man businesses have done, making it orginal and not yet spread around to other stores. The smells cause people to get hungry causes them to buy more food which increases the sales for the store. I wouldnt be surprised that in the future more and more stores start to use this tactic to increase sales.

August 31, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  31. tatum

I think that it is a good idea because it tempts the customers with all the good smells. It is a way for them to promote the foods that may not be as popular as some of the others foods and for people to become more interested in them.

August 31, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  32. Isabella

I think that this is a good idea for sales profits because people are going to buy things based off of smell because they are more attracted to it and when they smell it they will be hungry for that specific object. However, I think in view of the customers it might not be such a good idea because because they will buy a lot of unnecessary things and spend too much money. Also, I think some people won't buy certain things because they don't necessarily smell very good which could be bad for buisness in some aspects.

August 31, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  33. Molly

I think that using scent to attract customers is an interesting take on food sales, but it would be annoying to be walking through the grocery store and smelling artificial scents. I beleive that if a food truly smells appetizing it should be natural, not sprayed through a little black fan in the corners of stores.

August 31, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  34. Bridget

I think the smells in the grocery store is a bad idea. I think its strange. If their is going to be smells in a grocery store let it come from the groceries itself not fake smells. Also some smells are not appealing to certain people and might even make them sick. The smells also tempt people to buy yes, but if they are trying to stick to a diet that may not help them out.

August 31, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  35. Alyssa

I think it was a good idea because it make peoples sense of smell go wild. Since the smell of the food is out in the air it makes people want to buy whatever smells good, so it will make the sales increase significantly. which will incrase the stores popularity.

August 31, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  36. kelsey

I agree with the machines to spread artificial scents because it makes your customers more hungry and willing to buy food at your store. Having them willing to buy more, makes you earn more money. So it definitely is a positive thing for your business

August 31, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  37. Jackie

I believe that America wastes a lot of food as it is. To have grocery store's increase sales through this trickery, I think that it could lead to people buying groceries they do not need. However, packaging is already altered to appeal to one's senses through the color or the font of the name. Still, if our strongest sense with food is through smell, this can cause people buying food they do not necessary need, but what they want at that moment. In that way, this artifical scent negatively affects us.

August 31, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  38. Miranda

I think the artificial scent machines are a good idea. it will make the grocery store smell much better. customers will enjoy the scent as they shop. not only will they make more money, the customers will come and leave happily.

August 31, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  39. Abbie

I think that the machines will be beneficial to the store. By using the machines it will help increase the amount of sales. I think that these scent machines may only be helpful to small grocery stores.

August 31, 2011 at 9:01 am |
  40. Serene

I think that using machines to spread artifical scents in grocery stores is a good idea. it helps the store increase their profit and keeps costumers happy and coming back for more. If the scents do not harm the costumers than there is no reason why they should not have them.

August 31, 2011 at 9:02 am |
  41. Teacher Pete

My class of 7th grade students voted 10 to 5 that this is good marketing. We love Student News - go Bobcats!

August 31, 2011 at 10:17 am |
  42. Ms. B's class

As a class, we think it is both bad taste and good business because it's helping business but taking advantage of customers. It could trick customers into buying different brands based on product placement. It could also trick people into buying more than they came for. Also, someone might be tempted to steal something because of lack of money!

-Ms. B's Current Events Class
    East Millbrook Magnet Middle School

August 31, 2011 at 10:29 am |
  43. Jiovanni

I think in some cases it is good, especially if you run a store because you will make more money, but for the customer it is kind of tricking them. For example a store might put out a scent that smells like fresh bread but could be selling you stale bread and you wouldn't even know. Anyways that is my opinion, I think it is bad taste.

August 31, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  44. Sheneda

I think that is bad buisness. Because why should you have to spread fake sents to gain more customers?!

August 31, 2011 at 10:31 am |
  45. jasmine

i think its good business because if people love what day smell they gone buy it.

August 31, 2011 at 10:31 am |
  46. juan

I think it is a bad idea. If people dont want to buy the merchandise they don't have to buy it. I think it's ripping people off.

August 31, 2011 at 10:31 am |
  47. camren

well that is a great way to bring up the sales but you also got to be good to do that

August 31, 2011 at 10:32 am |
  48. Shaniqua

I think that this is a bad TASTE,because you should't try an rip people off to raise the stores' profits or percentage. Why should you use machines to spray fake scents to get peolpe to buy grocerys.Thats just not righ!!

August 31, 2011 at 10:32 am |
  49. beau

I think its a good idea for grocery stroes but.. I could care less because I can smell just fine I mean I get it . it gets poeples attention it doesnt get mine. but like i said I could care less walmart is like 1 out of 3 big stores in my town. so honestly we dont need one!!

August 31, 2011 at 10:32 am |
  50. Rickelia

Good Business because the smells would make people hunger by smelling the artifical smells. Therefore, they will wanna buy it.Then the people will tell others about it, so they will want to go see for themselves.

August 31, 2011 at 10:33 am |

I think that it is awesome that you all are bringing new inventions out but that is just a little bit extreme.

August 31, 2011 at 10:33 am |
  52. ladarius

i think its a good idea because the shoppers are going by what their sense of smell guides them to

August 31, 2011 at 10:33 am |
  53. mackenzie

I think good idea for the store but not for the people.its taking peoples money!!It's not right and it's not fair for people.people will be veary mad!

August 31, 2011 at 10:33 am |
  54. Rickelia

Good Business because the smells would make people hungery by smelling the artifical smells. Therefore, they will wanna buy it.Then the people will tell others about it, so they will want to go see for themselves.

August 31, 2011 at 10:33 am |
  55. labresha

good business

August 31, 2011 at 10:34 am |
  56. corey

the smell could trick into buying rotten food.

August 31, 2011 at 10:35 am |

I think its good business because its increasing the stores profits and at the same time its kind of giving you an idea of what the food will smell and taste like.

August 31, 2011 at 10:35 am |
  58. Thomas

I think you should put the smell in the grocery store, because some people will look aqt certain things and say "that mite be nasty," but if they smell it and it smell real good, they may bye it because it may smell terrific.

August 31, 2011 at 10:35 am |
  59. Julia

I like that they're thinking outside of the box.

August 31, 2011 at 10:35 am |
  60. Derek

I think that the machine that send out the artificial scents are very useful and smart it will make me buy more and am pretty sure it will do the same for everybody else that come and shop there. It's amazing when u can shop in a grocery store and it make you feel like you at home cooking dinner what a great idea.

August 31, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  61. Carlton

ummm I think that it should be good because their trying to make money to .........

August 31, 2011 at 10:37 am |
  62. brad

This persuades the Buyer!!!

August 31, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  63. Steven

Using smells to lure people tells that the food smells good before they buy.

August 31, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  64. Montrell

I think its a great way to get business and and good way to advertise yourself by doihng something no other store has did beforemM

August 31, 2011 at 10:41 am |
  65. dorothy

I think its ok that you go into a store and you smell candy and other stuff.The reason they do that to get the people to buy more things.

August 31, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  66. Steven

Using smells atracts many people

August 31, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  67. ricky

No that is tricking people into buying food that cost too much money to wast on food.It smells good but its to exspinsive to buy.

August 31, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  68. Dustin

It is bad business because they are pumping a smell of different foods but it is too expensive.

August 31, 2011 at 10:53 am |
  69. Naomi

I think it is horrible in a way because thay are tricking people to bye there product

August 31, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  70. brendan

I think it is a great idea because with the sweet aroma, more and more customers will say, "Hey, that smells good!" Especially people with a sweet tooth.

August 31, 2011 at 10:55 am |
  71. Lyndzie

I don't like the idea.They are using artificial smells,they are not natural smells.So the "good" smell isn't the real.

August 31, 2011 at 10:57 am |
  72. cheyenne

I think it is a good business for the store. I think it will help them make money so they can get more food in the store. They make sweet and good tasting food so people will buy. They will make good tasting bread in the bakery.

August 31, 2011 at 10:58 am |
  73. sarah

I think that it is a good idea to use smells to attract customers to buy food, because if i smelled food that I like, then i would want to buy it.

August 31, 2011 at 11:13 am |
  74. Jennifer

I would like this store because I like the smell of the food. I feel like that they what you to spend more money. I think it is tricky.

August 31, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  75. Troy

I think it will work and i asure you i will buy alot of that stuff if i can smell it

August 31, 2011 at 11:15 am |
  76. torey

i think the idea of this is good. you will make poeple hungry and then they will by more food...

August 31, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  77. Randy

I think it's goood buissnes because it will make everyone like to buy things and will make them hungry.

August 31, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  78. J'Khandria

Thank you for that wonderful news! I think the idea of smelling your food before you buy it is amazing! A lot of times you buy food you don't really know what your going to taste. I f you actually think about, most of your taste does come from your sense of smell.

August 31, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  79. kimberly

i think it is a good idea because u will know how the food smell before u buy it.

August 31, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  80. Jaleshia

I think it is intelligent to make people hungry so they can purchase more things.

August 31, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  81. Angel

i think that its a good idea of the store thing because people can see and smell the things that they buy or want to but

August 31, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  82. Jasmine

I think that it gives them more business because of the smelling you can get hungry and buy more

August 31, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  83. Brandi

I think that it is a very good idea. You will get a lot more sales now!

August 31, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  84. Robert

I think posting "scented sellers" in stores is an extremely good way to inprove sales across the globe.

August 31, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  85. Samantha

I think that we should get some of them in Alabama. Which without them fan things the stores smell bad, and i think its very awesome that they have been invented and i think we should get some in Alabama.

August 31, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  86. ALEX

I think that the way they are advertizing there prouduct is genius. When you smell something you can practictly taste it. So not only are they making more buisness but somethings I would never buy because the name sounds gross, but by smelling its like geting a sample, but also do not think that they should put them in every grocery store because if people don't like the idea they do live in America and the do have a choice.

August 31, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  87. Starla

I think we should get these types of machines is our stores. Because it aloow people to smell different types of food and makes you wanna buy them types of things!

August 31, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  88. Georgia

I think it is bad taste because grocery stores already put the necessary things in the back of the store.Like milk,bread,ceral,orange juice, and deli meats.But haveing the bacon scent people will buy it then not eat it and it is a big waste of money and food. So that is why i think it is not the best idea.

August 31, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  89. TaQanya

I think its good business because people would want to find things that smells good. But some stores does'nt smell like food or candy.

August 31, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  90. joaquin

I think its a good thing because the stores are getting more money.And ithink that is mean to do that to the customers.

August 31, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  91. Title

I think it's good business! if we can smell the food it will make people hungry and interested in that food and want to buy it.

August 31, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  92. Jacob

I think it's a great idea, make coustemers crave the foods so they'l buy the food.this will also attract kids so that they will want there parents to go there with them often.

August 31, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  93. jared

I think its a good idea for the store to have gases that smell like all kinds of food because the gases will make the customers want to buy the foods at the store.

August 31, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  94. marisa

I think this a good idea because it gives the customers a taste of what they are selling. This will help grocery stores and stores sell more products, and will keep their customers happy and satisfied.

August 31, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  95. Stanley's Class

My class believes it is both. Bad taste because the smell is not natural. They would rather smell the real bread baking versus artificial smells. Some believe it is good business because the sales are up by 5% which is proof that the smells are working. I think all the students would rather the smells be natural rather than artificial. We have enough artificial things in our world. Natural is always better! Thank you

August 31, 2011 at 11:27 am |
  96. Regitze

Good business or bad taste..
    I don't think there is any doubt about it being a good business, because the smell of something you like make's you hungry, and that's how simple it is... Good business.
    But if you look on the other hand, there is no doubt about this being very manipulative, too! Some years ago somebody came up with the idea of clipping a picture in, of for an example a coke, during a movie, but only for a split second, which didn't make you observe it, it only made your mind observe it, and then tricked you in to make a desire. This was abolished, because it tricked you.
    This "smell thing" is actually quite comparative, because it's tricks you in to being hungry, even though you might not actually be hungry.

August 31, 2011 at 11:31 am |
  97. Ms. Cortez's Class

We think it will bring up the sales because people like the smells and it makes them hungry and want to buy more. People may want to buy items they never bought before because they smell it.

August 31, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  98. Mya

The smells run together and it is to confusing when you are shopping.

August 31, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  99. Lizzzzz

I think its a really good idea but in a way its bad. I think the stores will be making more money by opening your senses and if they make more money, the economy will excel and get better. By using our senses we tend to buy more things because if they look attractive or in this case smell attractive, we buy more. In the contrary, they are giving you artificial smells, not a natural smell, and that might tell us that, oh this food is good, but in reality its not.

August 31, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  100. Brian

I think that using peoples sense of smell is a good business idea except if it someone doesn't like the smell of a certain item then that could drive them away

August 31, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  101. Gideon

This is smart business. I would have never thought of doing this. This would definitely make me shop more.

August 31, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  102. kris

i think its a good idea really if u can smell wat ur buying then u'll no if its gonna b good or not

August 31, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  103. Jairo

Our world is already filled with artificial products, tastes, and smells. I think this is gross and will not shop in any store that puts artificial smells in the air. I do not want to walk out of a store smelling like fish and fruit, or dead animals. What's wrong with food smelling the way it naturally smells?

August 31, 2011 at 11:56 am |
  104. Andre

This is a scamming way to get money from people. They basically trick you into being hungry to get more money from you.

August 31, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  105. Tesslyn

What if someone is on a diet? This is not fair to those folks by tempting them to buy food they shouldn't eat.

August 31, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  106. Tesslyn

It's a good idea because it's a great way to increase sales; people that work there could get a bigger paycheck.

August 31, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  107. Joy

I think it's a great idea!! Smell is an critical factor to me. For example, the smell of meat on the grill backyard always makes me hungry. Moreover, whenever I have a snuff nose, everything taste bland.

August 31, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
  108. Zoe

It's innovative, but for people on special diets (i.e. vegetarians), it could be an annoying temptation towards foods they can't eat. This idea might isolate business more than it helps it.

August 31, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  109. Andrew

I think it would be a great thing for the company. they should be getting plenty of customers, which also means that all the other stores in the surrounding area will need to "step up there game" to keep up with that store. but there doing a great job 🙂

August 31, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
  110. Lauren

I think it's a rip off, because if you buy the food just because of the fake smell you could end up buying something that is completely gross or the opposite of the "good" smelling fake stuff. You can never know what the food your really buying will smell like. Sorry to all the other people that think it's a good business but it's a rip off!!

August 31, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  111. Sijia

It is innovative but not practical. Since it is hard to distinguish similar food with different brands just by smell. Even if you could, maybe it is also a hard decision to buy one with a good smell or one with low price. So, this will make me very confusing while choosing food.

August 31, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  112. celestina

I think it is a good thing to use air fresheners for the grocery store because, it might convince people to buy the food so the government might get more money. The scent will make the store smell good and people might think that the food is fresh.It would no be a good thing to put the air fresheners out to see them because some people might notice them and think they are just using the scent to make people buy things, then people wont want to but the food then.

August 31, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  113. Bekah

i think it is a good idea because sometimes you nose is stronger than you tast budds but i also think it is a bad idea because that wouldnt help with people with weight problems and if someone is on a diet.

August 31, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  114. McKenna

I think that it would make sales increase especially if people come to the store hungry. The only thing bad about this is that I think if you went to the same store all the time you would figure out that they would be trying to make you buy more and then you wouldn't.

August 31, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  115. Aaron

August 31, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  116. Aleesha

I think it's a good marketing tool, but it can be very bad for the public. Because even going in on an empty stomach will make you want to buy more and when you add another sense trigger, the smells, people will end up buying way more then they need. So good for marketing bad for public.

August 31, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  117. Savannah

I think it is so cool to do that because it could taste really good and you might like it or it could be the opposite and you never want to eat it again.
    but mostly i would get the stuff i smelled because most of the times i base what i eat on what it smells like.;)

August 31, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  118. Gunnar

I think people might get fat by buying extra food, and some people could be allergic to chemicals in the scents.

August 31, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  119. Gabe

This is a great marketing idea! People will want to buy more, which in turn will slowly help the economy. Won't be much help to slimming America's waistelines lol

August 31, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  120. Rihcus

Bad taste. It will rip people off. Lets say a little kid goes into the store. He smells something good, so he or pest she pesters thier parents until the y waste money.

August 31, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  121. Peter

I think that it is not right. People come to the grocery store to get stuff they need not stuff they want because it smells good. They need to stop. It's like their taking your money. They need to change this now, it doesn't make sense.

August 31, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  122. cindy

i think its a great idea because smell is one major sense out of our five senses the smells could either make you sick to the stomach or its a good smell and you like it.It will make you happy if its a good smell

August 31, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
  123. Archibold

I think that marketing to a customer's sense of smell is a great idea because smells will entice customers to buy products whereas pictures showing other people eating or drinking that product will not attract customers as efficiently.

August 31, 2011 at 7:09 pm |

I think it would be good for business becuase it puts the smells you remember from childhood back up front giving you those memories, and thus wanting them. It also makes you hungry and you tend to by more if you're hungry. So if you buy more, you spend more and that pumps money back into the economy, giving businesses the confidents to hire more as all that money strenghens the economy.

August 31, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
  125. joseph

i think its good for buisness because people really rely on their sense of smell to say wether they want to eat it or not. so if they smell the product, i could make them hungry and they will buy it most likely

August 31, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
  126. Calvin

I think it is bad to do that in the stores because it will make people buy things they really do not want. People should not be tricked into wasting their money for food.

September 1, 2011 at 9:39 am |
  127. Kadeem

I think that good business because the better the smell the more people they would have.The more scents they have the better the store will smell.I would like to have that machine in a store here.But that doesn`t mean that the food will taste like that.

September 1, 2011 at 9:43 am |
  128. nicholas

I think it's a good thing. It's giving you a hint of what your getting so you know if its the right thing or the wrong thing. I for one think its great!

September 1, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  129. Sharon

I think it is good business and a win-win situation. Just like when I walk in Target, I am more apt to buy popcorn when I smell it when I walk in the door. They make money and I get some yummy popsorn:)

September 1, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  130. Kayla

I say it's business, it's no different from when a lady sprays you with perfume at the mall, yet no one is upset about that. Sometimes you need to be creative in order to advance into the future and that is exactly what they are doing here.

September 1, 2011 at 10:51 am |
  131. Haley

I think it's good business because it attracts more people to food that they haven't tried. This is also good business because it will make the company more successful with the money they are receiving and to add, employees will be paid more.

September 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
  132. Corey

i think that's bad business because if they're using artificial scents then no one can tell if that's what the food actually smells like. it could be rotten but they can't see it, or smell it if the scent is of fresh food. plus they scent could be mixed up ad no one will know if they are smelling a pack of hamburger meat or a pack of hotdogs.

September 1, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
  133. Amber

I don't think this is a good idea.All they are doing is making you pay a lot of money.It's interesting and sounds fun.Of course you can't always trust your nose. Cause you may be allergic to it like peanuts. Then once you buy it you'll think its a rip off! Then you will ask for a refund. So use your sight for now on. And don't trust your sense of smell (sometimes you can, but not always.). So be careful what your smelling for!

September 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
  134. Nyegha

This is outrageous! How would you feel is some has tricked you into thinking that you are hungry, you have eaten a meal and stuff and you buy it because it smells good and cook it later on it is rotten or not tasteful as it smells I personally will say No, thank you as polite as I can , if you kept being forced to like that or tricked into thinking that is how the food smells I will go to the head of the bussiness or store manger and (not threating just helping out the vicitums of the scandal and help them out from having an allergic reaction .) say I will go to the government have people sign an pettion.Please stop and think of other peoples thoughts before you act! Use common sense

September 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  135. Camron

I think that the smell are a great idea but its tricking people into buying that product

September 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  136. Ashleigh

Store owners are just trying to trick you, Your hungry when your hungry not when the Store smells say you are.

September 1, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  137. Derrick

I think its a good idea because it not only sells more food it also i think would make people want to come back for more

September 1, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  138. TIFFANY

I think it's just another way to get money out people it's just a scam!
    If you have to smell the food to know whether or not you buy it or not, that's just crazy!

September 1, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  139. Dominique

Good business because its kinda funny because the people are smelling good food and there getting hungry

September 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  140. Cameron

There is no reason a buisness cannot use any legal means to pull in revenue, nomatter how assumedly unethical they are.

September 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  141. daquan

i really think they should keep it regular ant let it smell what ever its supposed to smeel like because if they change it people might start to get angry with the company because it might be gross to them

September 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm |

i think it is good business because thay need to bring in mony and that is a creative way to do it

September 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  143. Gabe

I think that this is a great idea.The point of the business is to make money.All this place is trying to do is advance in technolgy.If we never advance we would never be what we are today.

September 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  144. Matthew

Well I think that is a bad thing. Cause some people might just like the smell and not like the taste. Also the food might be bad by the time you eat it. They might have a reaction to the smell.

September 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm |

I think it would be bad for the store because when they spray all the smells at one time it would give some people headachs. That would make some people not come at all.

September 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  146. Jalen

I think it is good for business because it makes people want to buy it.

September 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  147. Moyah

I feel that if the product is good enough than it doesn't need extra fragrance.The fragrance might add a side affect to the food.Thanks for your concern

September 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  148. Jace

That's not a good idea in my opinion because you may want to buy an apple and let's just say that it is rotten. You smell the smell of a regular apple so you buy it and you take a bite out of the apple. Guess what? YOU JUST TAKE A BITE OUT OF A ROTTEN APPLE! So I think it would be a horrible idea to do that or you could taste a rootten apple.

September 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  149. David

i think it important because we should remeber what happend so we could help stop what happend and try to prevent it from happing again

September 1, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  150. Abyalew

I am sure it will attract lots and lots of people. Other stores should find another way to attract people.

September 1, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  151. Donovan

I think there should be no "fake smells" because that just a rip-off. What if there was something spoiled but it still smelled good and some ate it? Out of the frying pan and in the fire!

September 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
  152. mikayla

i think this idea will get more customers not to trust the product they are trying to sell because of the artificial smell.

September 1, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
  153. Monique :)

I think it’s a bad taste. First off I would find it very gross and make me not want anything in the store if I everywhere I was I smelt some different type of food. The idea about shopping when people are hungry at the smell of certain foods would encourage them to buy it. What are they going to do when the scents start to mix around and some people are going to want to throw up and some might? Last off it might work for a while to get business but it’s not always going to help and like I stated when the scents start to mix it’s not going to smell very pleasant and it’s going to drive customers away from your store.

September 1, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  154. Sydney

I think that it's scamming. You can't base what you buy on an artificial smell. There is no proof that that is what it smells like. Its a good idea if you want to be fooled by a fake scent.

September 1, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  155. andrea

i think its a cheap way into getting custommers to bye your food and get more customers into your store to me your cheating your self because the customers are probably going to come back and complain because the food dosent taste like the smell in the store

September 1, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  156. Jordan

I think that this is a very good idea. I believe that the profits will defiently go up because of the smell machine. However, i believe that putting out smells that smell really good, do not add up with what you are actually purchasing. If you smell something that smells really good you are assuming that the product that you are going to be buying will smell and taste that good. You really don't know what the product you are buying smells or tastes like. I believe that this is not fair for the everyday shopper spending money on products that may not smell or taste like what they believe it will. However, The marketplaces will surely profit from this invention. I think it would be more fair for the customer if they had real smells of each individual food they are buying, like a scratch sticker?? This is very cool, but not fair for the customers spending more money.

September 1, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  157. Jamairah

I think its a bad idea, peopl really want to smell the true smell not the fake one. Next thing u know, u buy it and it stinks and taste bad!

September 1, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  158. Kristin

smells cant be bad... you know what you signed/paid for so if you dont like the taste but you like the smell, then thats your fault!

September 1, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  159. Gabriela

It is a true fact that if you grocery shop when you are hungry that you are likely to buy more products. Therefore, this is both a good AND bad business. This is a good business, because, of course, it raises sales. But also a bad business, because it causes customers to become hungry and buy things that, in the end, they don't need. Honestly, I am against it but it really only depends whether or not the customers appreciate the artificial smells.

September 2, 2011 at 2:12 am |
  160. Samerah

they should not have to trick people into buying their food people will buy the food if they want. if their food was really good and healthy they would not need the artificial smells, because it would naturally smell good.... or should.

September 2, 2011 at 2:52 am |
  161. Jessica

I watched this in my class and i agree that its a good idea to sell the food which is what this this is for but like the other person said if you smell something here and then its different in the package its kinda like falus advertisement. They should change it to the smell of the regular food smell. 🙂 greatt idea though!! They should have that in more stores.

September 2, 2011 at 8:55 am |
  162. Laura

I think that this is a good way to increase your sales if you can get the smells right. People would be encouraged to buy the product that they smell if they think it smells good. However, it might be difficult the get the machine smells to smell actually like the food. If the customers think it smells gross, then I don't know how much business the store would get. If the grocery stores could get the smells to smell exactly or at least pretty close to the actual smell of the food, then the smell machines would be a great money maker!

September 2, 2011 at 9:42 am |
  163. Patrick

I think it's good business, because all the store is doing is trying to appeal to the customers' senses. They could be showing slide shows of good-looking food or calming music; it's all the same.

September 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm |

It is a brilliant way to make more sales. They are tricking customers into buying food with fake smells. That's just good business.

September 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  165. Dillon

I think it is a great way to make a bigger sale. And it is also smarter to have good scents cause people don't like a smelly store.

September 2, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  166. shayla

I think its bad taste becuase.Becuase people buy that stuff becuase of the smell it may not taste good how they think it does.So they need to stop that becuase it a waste of people money in sdome of that product is not really good for you to eat in its not safe becuase kids go into the grocey store in go to the candy allie and they want all that candy becuase of yhe smell.Kids can get fat like that it makes kids want more sweats and candy in they just get greddy like that than more kids will be o beast like that so it not goood for them to do that.And like what if somebody was algrice to stuff like that and they start to snezze and get sick and many more people will carry around that snezze in the hole city are country can be in danger.And the stores start to lower there money stats becuase of the scents in the store so they dont want to come back inside the stores that has the scents in them so people need to think about there actions before they do it sso the stores need to stop all that with the scents in stuff becuase its not safe for people i hope they think about it in they stop it.

September 2, 2011 at 3:30 pm |

I don't think its very cool and i probably wouldn't buy the food because if you ate it and didn't like it then you would probably blame the company. I think its very wrong

September 2, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  168. Ellie

I think it is fine and if people don't like it then they can go to a different grocery store.

September 2, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
  169. me

this is just a scam. when you taste this food it might taste like the same thing that you smelled at the store. yes it's helping the sellers gain money, but it is still a scam.

September 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  170. Julian

It is a good thing for the the store but a bad thing for customers.

September 3, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  171. preston

i think it makes business sense; but really if they need to do this to get more costumers their products must not be that good.

September 3, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  172. Lauren

I think that this is another way to rip people off. These "smells" probably trigger off our sense of smell which therefore triggers something in the brain(conscience) which makes us hungry and buy it and eat it. I believe that we should just follow our senses to the good smelling foods.

September 3, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
  173. Kim

It's good business for the store, but people who are in a special diet, than the story change,

September 4, 2011 at 10:08 am |
  174. Clarice

I think it is a giant rip off. When you buy the product, and its not what you expect it could be really disgusting. When the store is making profits off fake smelling things its coming out of your pocket not theirs.

September 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  175. anna

I think the artificial sent idea is a bad idea because it makes people want to eat unhealthy things like lots of red meat (bacon,burgers)and sugar (chocolate,candy).Our country #1 problem is obesity and what about diabetics and people with arthritis? I do not think it would be very fair to be a diabetic and walk into a store filled with fragrances of chocolate and hamburgers.

September 4, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
  176. Kathryn

Good business.
    Several restaurants do it. I have wanted food I don't like because they put out scents like that. What is wrong with grocery stores doing that?

September 4, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
  177. Savannah

In my opinion I think it's bad taste. As if America isn't an overly obese country already, adding artificial scents to grocery stores is just going to encourage people to buy more junk that they don't need. Plus who would want to walk into a store and be instantly over-whelmed by fifteen different scents? It seems to me like that would be walking into a store that sold perfume and only perfume where everyone felt the need to test out everything they walked by...instant headache! I think that sticking to the real smells that come from the real bakery for instance, would be the best way to go.

September 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  178. Jackson

I think it's good business because what they mean is they want to feed the people like a family that doesn't have food. And that's good business!

September 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  179. BRIXEN

Good because it will attract more customers and the workers will get paid more.

.

September 5, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
  180. Jacee

I don’t totally agree with the practice of using smell in grocery stores to increase sales. First, I think it would be gross. I don’t feel there is anyway that you could accurately portray smells like bacon and fresh baked bread artificially. I would hate having those smells pushed in my face. I do think that it could be successful in many ways. When people would smell these things it would remind them that, “Hey, I like that food. Maybe I should buy it.” It could very well increase sales. But with all that said, as a customer, I do not want my grocery store using smells to sell products.

September 5, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  181. Jordan

I think that putting the smells of the most popular foods of Americans around the stores might be a good idea because I believe that if the customers smell the finished product they might be more willing to buy it. I know that if I went into a store and smelled fresh baked goods or fresh cooked goods it would make me hungry and consider trying something new. On the other hand, some of the artificial food smells might actually smell worse than the actual smell of the cooked food might and that could cause customers to not buy the certain products. It would be something that I would be willing to try as a store owner or manager.

September 6, 2011 at 12:54 am |
  182. Carash

I think Stimulating Olfactory system is a good marketing method. But that odor could be modified for more sales business. Consumers just believe the food company's conscience.

September 6, 2011 at 6:40 am |
  183. Nathaniel

It would be good,because it would smell so great,but what if you get and your allergic to it.You could possibly die.

September 6, 2011 at 9:55 am |
  184. Claire

Obesity in America is a huge problem, and it's scams like this that encourages that. We need to focus on being healthy and not be drooling about bacon.

September 6, 2011 at 11:04 am |
  185. Austin

Tell you the truth, I think that this whole thing is a big waste of time. If the store wants to sell more of there food they should encourage people to smell the original smell of the food.

September 6, 2011 at 11:13 am |
  186. Madison

This is not good for the people,even though it is good for business.It isn't good for people because they may be allergic or they just waste their money because the scent makes them hungry.It is good for business though because people are encouraged to buy more stuff,but that wastes the peoples money.It is just a rip off and why do you need to put that stuff in for more customers!!??I mean your business should already be good,and if it isn't then close down your shop or make better quality food.

September 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
  187. Nikko

I think that is a bod idea because it is fake smells they should no t make fake smells so people will buy there product.

September 6, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  188. Gabe

I both agree and disagree with this. I agree because it is a good way to get more business by appealing to consumers’ sense of smell. By putting out all these scents of foods it will make customers want to buy more, which is all good for the business and that’s fine. The point I disagree with is that a lot of shoppers in today’s world they just want to get in and get out. They only buy what they need. In a way the business is using the customers’ sense of smell against them and making them want to buy more food. In my opinion it is not helping Americas obesity problem.

September 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  189. Wendy

the smell thing is so fake your just tricking people to buy the food that they probably don't like

September 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  190. robert

i think its a cool creative idea if a person smells it they might think 🙂 smells good. plus if they do this people get more money and are able to open more jobs

September 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  191. Michael

If people like what the smell they are going to by it .If they buy the food the story will make more money ,and buy more product

September 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm |

the smells are good but they artificial and the food may be spoiled.
    I think its all about taking risk!

September 6, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  193. Brishen

I think it's a rip off, because if you buy the food just because of the fake smell you could end up buying something that is completely gross or the opposite of the "good" smelling fake stuff. You can never know what the food your really buying will smell like. Sorry to all the other people that think it's a good business but it's a rip off!!. I think it was pretty smart to make that product for stores but it IS a fake and plus it is not good to lie about the smell,just too atracked people.

September 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  194. Joshua

I think that it is a good idea because it would smell good.But it would be a lie what if the food was roten and someone ate it .

September 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  195. Jaclyn

I think this is bad taste. Its a waste of time and money. If it smells so good that you would buy it in the store, than it could be covering up a bad smell. You could be buying something that has expired and is out dated.

September 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  196. Alec

I believe its a rip off nothing ever smells as good as the companies project them to be.

September 6, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  197. lance

I say this is somewhat "scamming" the customers

September 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  198. Emily

I think that it is a bad idea to lure there customers in by the smell of the foods. in my opinion, it is creating a bad diet for those people i mean they don't even care to look at the labels of the product to see all the calories there gained.

September 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  199. JARROD

I think it's a cheap way to get money.So i do not think it's a good idea

September 6, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  200. michael

You now when you walk into a restaurant and you smell all of the good food it makes you to want to order all of the things on the menu? that's the same way i want to feel when i walk into a grocery.It will also make people buy the food in the store..

September 6, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
  201. Katie

I think this way of business is very silly. I think it's just a scam to get people to buy the grocery store's food. You never know, the grocery store could make the more expensive food smell good and the cheaper food smell average.

September 6, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
  202. zyler

that is a very good idea because it makes the customers hungry for certain items, stores are already using this method, by targeting certain age groups by the height of the shelves in the store, ex: putting candy on lower shelves to target little kids to buy candy.

September 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  203. Aarren

I think that is bad buisness. Because why should you have to spread fake smells to gain more customers?To me its a waste of money because what if people dont like what they are smelling.Then the store spent money on a machine that they didnt even need .I think its bad for buisness because you should'nt have to give out fake aroma for people to spend there money .My opion is that they should just have out samplers or something like that for people to taste not smell .

September 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm |