.
August 21st, 2011

Who (or What) Would You Memorialize?

There are several memorials at the National Mall.  Presidents from Franklin D. Roosevelt to Ulysses S. Grant are commemorated.  Veterans of World War II, the Korean War, and Vietnam are remembered.  There's also a marker for the first air mail flight and a remembrance for the historic engineer John Ericsson.

This Monday, we're telling you about the new memorial for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  And we're looking for your thoughts on who (or what) else should be commemorated at the National Mall.

If you got to plan the next memorial in the nation's capital, what person or event would you want represented?

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Reily

Well to be honest if I had to memorialize anything I would memorialize my puppy Jackson because we didn't go looking for him when we found him. My dad, my brother, and i where at the shelter just taking out the dogs just to be nice. We spotted him. He was the cutest puppy we had seen that whole day. We took him outside and played with him. right away he knew how to shake and was very people friendly. We adopted him that day at the age of four months old and he has been everyones favorite ever since!!!!

August 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  2. Gerry

I think the people that they should pt in the national mall if they didnt put them in there would be the people who were killed on 9/11/01. Cause every year they do that by standing in the graveyards of washigton Dc for amoment of silence.

August 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  3. Justin

I feel that the Coast Guard should deserve a memorial in the Nation's capital. So many people do not understand that the Coast Guard has done an extraordinary amount of work to keep America free, such as serving in every war since their creation in 1790.

August 21, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  4. Jaeyeong

Hello~I'm a student in South Korea. I would like to memorialize Michael Jackson~! He is such a genius at dancing and singing. I really like that, so he is one of my role models. He also donated bunch of his money for poor children. He made a record in guiness for the best – donater. His passion for his job, and his love for all people in the world need to be memorialized by people, so I recommend him!

August 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Jack

Jackie robinson would be a good sports memorial

August 22, 2011 at 3:29 am |

God.

August 22, 2011 at 3:31 am |
  7. Austin

God.

August 22, 2011 at 3:32 am |
  8. Sean

I'd memorialize president Barack Obama, because he is the first black president of the United States, and he is the result of the end of black-slavery.

August 22, 2011 at 5:09 am |
  9. Rachel

I want to merorialize Steven Spielburg. As all ones know, Steven Spielburg is excellent superintentence. After I read his biography, I had got deep impression. AS I said before, I want to merorialize Steven Spielburg.

August 22, 2011 at 5:27 am |
  10. jessie

ME!

August 22, 2011 at 6:35 am |
  11. Grace

I think that all the soldiers who gave their lives in war should be memorialized.

August 22, 2011 at 7:11 am |
  12. Rachel

President Obama because he was the first African American president.

August 22, 2011 at 8:12 am |
  13. Caroline

Juliette Gordon Low because she founded the Girl Scouts.

August 22, 2011 at 8:13 am |

Mickey Mantel because he was the best baseball player ever.

August 22, 2011 at 8:14 am |
  15. Grant

John F. Kennedy because he was a great leader for our country.

August 22, 2011 at 8:15 am |
  16. Andy

Einstein because he helped win WWII

August 22, 2011 at 8:16 am |
  17. Jordan

Jackie Robinson because he was an awesome player and paved the way for African Americans in baseball.

August 22, 2011 at 8:17 am |
  18. Jackson

Babe Ruth

August 22, 2011 at 8:37 am |
  19. Varun

Barack Obama because he is the first black president

August 22, 2011 at 8:43 am |
  20. Haley

I would commerate all the great musicians of the eras. Everyone from Elvis to Bob Dylan, from The Doors to Waylon Jennings. Combine all genres of music. Differences are what make America great.

August 22, 2011 at 9:01 am |
  21. Tanner

Babe Ruth

August 22, 2011 at 9:56 am |
  22. Michael

A person that I think that should be commemorated in the Nation's capital would be Neil Armstrong. Before becoming an astronaut he was in the United States Navy and served in the Korean War. He had a great history in his life and have done something that nobody has gone which is setting foot on the moon. This would be a great way to honor him and his quote: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind".

August 22, 2011 at 10:43 am |
  23. Vincent

Jesse Owens and Jackie Robinson are both deserving, however, I feel that the Negro League's as a whole should have some type of memorial (that is if they don't already). The hardship that these men faced during this time was an embarrassing period in our history to say the least. At the same time it is a story of hope and determination, because of these men I was able to watch my idols play baseball and sports in general

August 22, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  24. Rei

Barack Obama, because of his hardships... He's doing his hardest to save our economy, and fix the mess. I mean.. it's not his fault. He's trying. And everyone's saying he's a bad man, when in truth, we couldn't do any better.
    –Rei

August 22, 2011 at 11:40 am |
  25. Lucy

I think Thomas Edison deserves an honor to be memorialized because what he'd created changed our world entirely. The quote that might be included in the memorial is: "genius is 1 inspiration and 99 perspiration"

August 22, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  26. Dan

Carl Azuz because he is so funny.

August 22, 2011 at 11:59 am |

Ms. David's class has chosen Ben Franklin. Althought he was never president his contributions to the start of the American Nation are monumental.

Ms. David Recharge Class
    Oakland Middle School

August 22, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
  28. Tori

Ronald Reagan because he helped end the Cold War and bring the Soviet Union to an end. He was a great American President who listened to all sides of a debate.

August 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  29. Maggie

I think we should make a memorial for Thomas Edison. Becaus he had tons of helpful inventions including the lightbulb that we use everyday.

August 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  30. Justin

Albert Instine should have a memorial because he invented many consepts and technology.

August 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  31. isabel

[henry] ford he made cars

August 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
  32. Kasd

I believe that thomas Edison, Henry Ford and Rosa parks deserve to be imortalized

August 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  33. devin

i think that there should be a memorial for JFK in D.C. because i think he was one of our greatest presidents.

August 22, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  34. Sophie

Either God or Steven Colbert

August 22, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  35. Noah

i'd say all the great scientists, not everyone cure cancer or make an atomic bomb...

August 22, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  36. Bryce

I think Carl Azuz should because he is crazy with puns and AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

August 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  37. Steven

I think Barack Obama because he is first african american presidents.

August 22, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  38. Mariah

Rosa parks because she didn't want to give up sit on the bus

August 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  39. Kevin

I think Barack Obama, Vince Lombardi, and Daniel Webster should all have memorials or stairs.

August 22, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  40. andrew

F.D.R he made The New Deal

August 22, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  41. Rafael

MLK Jr. was who i had in mind actually, our country segregation, discrimination and racist laws would not have changed much if it were not for his peaceful movement

August 22, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  42. rene

if i could memorialize my homeroom teacher mrs. johnson for being awesome and introducing us to CNN STUDENT NEWS!!! thanks you mrs. johnson!!!

August 22, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  43. phillip

I would put colin powell in the memorial because he did a lot when he was secratary of state and he also did a lot when he served in our military

August 22, 2011 at 4:59 pm |

I think we should give a memorial to all who has fought in the war.Beacuse many people died will fighting for our country.

August 22, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  45. Emma

I would commemorate Walt Disney because he created a whole bunch of famous characters like mickey mouse. His name is seen everywhere from Huge theme parks to his own channel. That's why I think Walt Disney should be commemorated. 🙂

August 22, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  46. Anna

I think that Deborah Samson, the American servant girl who disguised herself as a man and ran away to become the first female soldier in America to fight in battle, should have a memorial. I don't think there are that many memorials for famous women, and that makes me sad.

August 22, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  47. Owen

I'm from South Korea, so hello guys! The person I want to put on the memorial is Barack Obama, and Malcom X. They still did hopeful things that discriminated racism.

August 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  48. yungjung

I'm from South Korea.
    I would memorialize our lee sung meen president
    Because he did mant good things for our country
    thank you!!!

August 22, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
  49. Jace

I would memorialize either Albert Einstein because he impacted us so much and discovered things that we would have never known about. Albert Einstein helped prove to the world stuff like the Brownian movement, quantum theory of light, photoelectric effect, special theory of relativity, link between mass and energy, and so much more. He completely changed the science world. That is how we have all our stuff today. We wouldn't have television or even know what atoms or molecules are. That is why I think that you should memorialize Albert Einstein.

August 22, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
  50. Carter

If i could chose anyone to memorialize it would be general gorge s patten because he was the best tank division leader and great military leader

August 22, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
  51. Ellaina

In my opinion it should be Rosa Parks. Because she was the first black woman to not give up her seat on the bus. Every action starts a chain reaction so that's what started the Montgomery bus boycott so of course she is my choice

August 22, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
  52. Carter

If I could choose anyone to memorialize it would be general Gorge S. Patten because he was the best tank division leader and great military leader.

August 22, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
  53. mauriunna

mlk and obama mlk because he made the world a better place and obama because he made change and he was the frist african american.

August 22, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  54. Joshua

I think they should honor our current president Barack Obama because Martin Luther King Jr fought for us to be able to run for president and 43 years after his death is have an African American President. I also think Michael Jackson should be honored in a memorial because even though he was a civilian he changed the world with his music sure people thought he was crazy but he did a lot of things for society he is a legend and people loved him and devastated when he died but they make a memorial so his memory wont be so sad.

August 22, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  55. Rick

personally i believe a monumet of albert einstein should be constructed for his groundbreaking research in physics & mathematics.

August 22, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
  56. jessikah

Barack Obama! because he is the first african american president.

August 22, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  57. Frankie

God

August 22, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
  58. joycelinn

i would commemorate all the soldiers that give their lifes in war for our country. i feel that they deserve more recognition than they get. thank you u.s. soldiers!!

August 22, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  59. Carla

I'd like to commemorate some of the greatest female authors, such as Harriet Beecher Stowe and Jane Austen.

August 22, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  60. Carla

I'd like to commemorate two of the greates female authors: Jane Austen and Harriet Beecher Stowe.
    Their novels are still readed by everyone, and are very popular. They marked the beginning of an era where women are respected and self-thinking.

August 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  61. Xavier

I think Barack Obama, because he was the first black president, and he destroyed the most important terrorist in the world. he is a black man and a president that control the liberty.

August 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  62. dave7

if anyone i would i would make a memorial of Ronald Reagan because he helped end the Cold War and bring the Soviet Union to an end. He was a great American President who listened to all sides of a debate.

August 22, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  63. Ashlay

I believe that the people who had fought in the war should be memorized because they have fought for our country to show us that they are the americans who care for our freedom and salvation..Eachone goes out there to fight for us..they should be memorized by heart those who died as well May GOD bless america!

August 22, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  64. yaz

I think Bill Gates should have a memorial day because he has done alot for the community of the United States by giving money to the poor and helping school's to have a better program for education to there students, and he is also the president of the microsoft corporation.

August 22, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  65. Veronica

I would put Helen Keller. I believe that she is truly phenomenal for everything that she's done. It truly shows that perserverance and hard work can go a long way, which is a very good example for everyone. They should build a memorial in her honor.

August 22, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  66. Avery

It's very hard for me to pick just one person who I would like to memorialize. Therefore, I will try to cram all of them into this comment.

First, I think that a memorial should go to Elvis Presley, King of Rock. He revolutionized our music and was the first real rock n' roll singer. Definitely deserves a memorial.

Second, I would like to dedicate a memorial to some of the greatest fliers in history: Chuck Yeager, who first flew faster than the speed of sound, and, of course, Wilbur and Orville Wright, who made the first flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. They made a big mark in history and deserve something for the nation to remember them by.

I would also like to commemorate two great teams of music: Rodgers and Hammerstein and Gilbert and Sullivan. Without Rodgers and Hammerstein Broadway would never be the same. Without Gilbert and Sullivan, the theatre, and most certainly the opera house, would never be the same.

Last but not least, I would like to remember two miscellaneous people: Antonio Vivaldi, one of the greatest composers of all time, and Henry Bergh, founder of the ASPCA, which has saved the lives of millions of animals and will probably save many more.

August 22, 2011 at 11:39 pm |

I would honor all of the parents in the u.s. Because they do such a great job.if you think about it, you depend on them to survive

August 23, 2011 at 12:19 am |
  68. Amity

My civics students suggested a memorial to honor women. Honoring women who have pioneeres in a life changing area and have made history. Women that have made a difference. So many... so select one for each field/area. Our country could be the first to honor women & their contribution. For example: Elenor Roosevelt, Rosa Parks, Emelia Earnhart, Oprah Winfrey, etc...

August 23, 2011 at 12:20 am |
  69. Claudia

i would memorialize Rosa Parks because she was the only black women to not give up her seat to a white person in the bus. She stood up for what she thought was not right. She was a strong women and she deserves it for many more reasons. Thats why I think she should be memorialized .

August 23, 2011 at 12:38 am |
  70. Andrew

i would memorialize John F. Kennedy. He is in my opinion one of the greatest leaders our country has ever seen. He was a great role model he worked to end slavery while supporting Martin Luther King Jr. in all of his work as well. he was a noble man worthy to be memorialized!

August 23, 2011 at 1:29 am |
  71. farid

I think John F. Kennedy because he had a concern for the citizens and their needs, and he was a great president.

August 23, 2011 at 8:09 am |
  72. Haley

I agree with Anna. All those great women in history should be remembered by both genders, and held in great respect, just as the men are.

August 23, 2011 at 8:46 am |
  73. Rico

We would like to memorialize Smokey, the Tennesee Volunteers mascot!

August 23, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  74. Janacia

I would memorialize Amelia Earhart because she was a brave and strong
    person ,she was the first woman to fly across the Pacific Ocean .

August 23, 2011 at 9:48 am |
  75. Abby

I would like to memorialize Michael Jackson. He is such a genius at dancing and singing. I really like that, so he is one of my role models. He also donated bunch of his money for poor children. He made a record in guiness for the best donater. His passion for his job, and his love for all people in the world need to be memorialized by people, so I recommend him!

August 23, 2011 at 10:53 am |
  76. Grayson

The all mighty Lord because he is the one who forgives us for all the sins that we do. Also Jesus because he was the one who died on the cross for us. It doesn't matter who we memorialize its that we accept that people are different and that people memorialize other people, we should memorialize who we want to not who other people want us to.

August 23, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  77. isaiah

well thats a hard question but i think i would have a memorial service for louis and clark. they discoverd alot of the united states. in my opinion they sound cool they took the challenge to go and map the united states. They havent even been there before and didnt know what was waiting for them. and i think that took a lot of bravery and courage, thats why i would have a memorial service for louis and clark.

August 23, 2011 at 10:55 am |
  78. Mariah

I think that Amelia Earhart deserves a memorial. She is an excellent role model for women everywhere, showing what we can do if you work hard and actually try. She accomplished something that nobody thought could happen at the time.

August 23, 2011 at 10:55 am |
  79. JD

The person who warned everyone at Lexington and Concord that the British were coming? Paul Revere right? Nope. He did warn people about them but not as much as a 16 year old girl known as Civil Betty. She isn't even recognized in any of our school history books! It's amazing that just because she was a young girl she can't be noticed. She should be memorialized for what she did.

August 23, 2011 at 10:56 am |
  80. Brilee

I would memorialize Amelia Earhart because she was a very brave and strong lady! She was the first lady to fly over the Pacific ocean solo. I know I wouldn't be brave enough to fly over the ocean solo. So I think she should be memorialize because of how brave she was.

August 23, 2011 at 10:57 am |
  81. Jesse.

i think Rosa Parks. She should get it becuase she help the black people get there right. she did not move when the man ask her to leave. She got out of the bus to grt in the back of the bus. the bus driver left her there in the rain. She was the one that got the boycott on all the buses, train.

August 23, 2011 at 10:58 am |
  82. Nicholas

I would want to memorialize Sir Isaac Newton. He was the person that had discovered gravity and how it worked. He proved that larger things did not fall faster than smaller things and in fact, they fell and hit the ground at the same time.

August 23, 2011 at 11:00 am |
  83. Jesse

I would memoralize Hurricane Katrina. In August of 2005 hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast near the mouth of the Mississippi River. The storm brought devestation to much of the Gulf Coast where it struck, flattening town and destroying much of what was in its path. Thankfully, New Orleans didn't get hit directly, but the damage cost was hundreds of billions of dollars.

August 23, 2011 at 11:00 am |

if I was able to make a memorial i think that Amelia Earheart deserves it besause she was a very couragous woman. She was one of the first women to fly by herself. Amelia was also brave and was able to show people that anybody can do anything they put their mind to. Amelia Earheart might have made a mistake but that doesnt mean that she cant be recognized for what she did.

August 23, 2011 at 11:00 am |
  85. Courtney

If I could memoralize one person or thing I would choose Rosa Parks. She helped with intregration issues just like Martin Luther King Jr and she went to jail for her beliefs. She didn't waver from her mentality just because it would more safe, she stood up for not only her rights but others as well.

August 23, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  86. Cole

I think Barack Obama because he is the first black president, and he is against war, he wants people to pay more attention to their kids, and he cares about the enviorment, and he took out one of the worst terrorists in the world.

August 23, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  87. Trevor

I would like to memorialize someone it would have to be Barrack Obama because he has made history of being the first African-American president the United States has ever had. Although hes not making himself look good from all of the economy issues he and the government has caused. He is a great man he is respectful, trustworthy, and very caring.

August 23, 2011 at 11:02 am |

if i were to mermorialize some one. it would have to be .babe ruth he was the greatst baseball player to ever live.he had the most home run out any body .he cold hit farther then anybody.

August 23, 2011 at 11:03 am |
  89. Blake

I would like to memorialize all the teachers in the u.s.a, becuse they have helped all the people we know today they help many people get good lives and make good money.

August 23, 2011 at 11:04 am |
  90. Karina

I think Elizabeth Blackwell should be memorialize because she was the first female doctor. Its great to see how women have the same capacity to do same things as men. She believed that men and women were equal to Gods eyes. Today, because of people that never gave up centuries ago, people from diffrent race,sex,or religion have the right in U.S.A to be able to show their beliefs or be able to do stuff other persons can. After all we are all equal to Gods eyes.

August 23, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  91. Charles

If I were to memorialize someone, it would have to be Abraham Lincoln because if it wasn't for him blacks would still be slaves.

August 23, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  92. Wise

If I were to memorialize someone, it would have to be the person who first discovered the Internet. This discovery changed the way the humans function, live, and make money. The world was really different only 40 years ago when there was no Internet. With all the positives, comes negatives. We are facing issues with all the bad that comes with the Internet, but if parents and teachers relay the good that can be found, we will prosper from this great discovery.

August 23, 2011 at 11:07 am |
  93. Isabel

I would memorialize the person who invented electircity. Without them we wouldnt have t.v to watch or light to see in the dark. Now we can use refridgerators, microwaves, fans and more.

August 23, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  94. Alison

I think the Black Panther Party for Self Defence and Malcolm X should have a memorial. Although many view them as criminals and terorists. Insted of peace and protest they believed in force. unlike malcolm x fellow leader of the black comunity in his time martin luther king jr. Malcolm X and The Black Panther Party for Self Defence are the best civil rights leaders of all times.

August 23, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  95. Roman

I think we should memorialize the person who created the first car. That person help us to grow more advanced it technology and the way we use transportation at that time. It really changed people way of life and made it better. It really was and achivement for Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot.

August 23, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  96. Samuel

I think that all the soldiers that have given their lives for us should me memorialized.

August 23, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  97. McKenna

If I could memorialize someone, I think Rosa Parks should be. She did a great deal in the Civil Rights movement. Otherwise, I would want to memorialize the UConn Huskies Women's Basketball team and all the others teams for achieving over 90 consecutive wins in a row.

August 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  98. Brennon

I would mamorialize william h. bonney also nkown as billy the kid because no one knows him that well and he was a great western outlaw.

August 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  99. Linda

If I could memorialize anyone it would be Sakagawea. She helped Louis and Clark through their voyage. If it wasn't for her, we could possibly not know our world like we do today

August 23, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  100. Reagan

My dad for doing a lot of things for the city. He always does what he says he is going to do and does it fast.

August 23, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  101. Kristen

I would memorialize, the people that died in 9/11... because all of the people who died where minding there own business and they died for no reason because of 2 plains... that attacked the twin towers to get the U.S.A.

August 23, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  102. alex

I think J.F.K. should be memorialized. I think he should be memorialized because his speeches where inspiring.He also was killed leading America.

August 23, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  103. gavin

i would honor all of the any one in the millitary or who has served in the millitary. i would do this because they kept our country safe from bad people

August 23, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  104. C.J

I would memorialize, Maya Lin , because she did such a great memorial for the Vietnam Memorial Wall..

August 23, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  105. Derek

🙂 Hello I think Mickey Mantle should be memorialize. Because he was said that he was suppose to hit the longest home run ever. Scientist say that it was suppose to hit 700ft. But it hit the top of the stadium where the lights were. 😉 😦 GOODBYE

August 23, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  106. Aaron

I think that all of the fallen soldiers from the gulf and war on terror should have a memorial because they are some of the bravest men and women ever.

August 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  107. stevie

I think we should memorialize Marin Luther King Jr. Because he freed the slaves and got their rights for them. Because if he didn't free them we would probably still have slaves today!

August 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  108. Brayden

I would memorialize Ndamukong Suh because he was in the running for the Heisman trophy. It had been a long time since a defensive lineman had been in the running for the Heisman. He is a good defensive lineman.

August 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  109. drew

if I could Memorialize I would say Johnny Appleseed. He brought tree seeds to most of the Country. They could make houses out of wood now.

August 23, 2011 at 3:23 pm |

I think that Gorge Washington because he is the first president of the United States and he fought with us in the war and that is pretty brave of him to do that was an achievement.

August 23, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  111. Brynley

I would Memorialize anyone I would do it for Ghandi because he tried to make the world a more peaceful place. Anyone who tries to make peace is a hero to me.

August 23, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  112. hunter

i think we should make one about the great depression so we can make sure to not do it again

August 23, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
  113. Evelyn

I think Barack Obama because he is the first president of color, achieved many things including defeating the worst terrorist in the world.

August 23, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
  114. C.J

I feel that 911 should be remembered on 10th anniversary because, alot of familys had died...

August 24, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  115. Jyssica

My thought for the memorial is to put Alexander Graham Bell, because he is the inventor of the telephone. I think he should be in the memorial because we need to remember the guy that invented the telephone. People use the telephone all the time for work and for other circuital activities. Alexander Graham Bell should also be in the memorial for his smart intelligent of making the brilliant idea call the telephone. Alexander Graham Bell was a wise man of inventing a devise that the world could use every day of their natural lives and that why Alexander Graham Bell should be in the memorial.

August 24, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  116. Lina

In my opinion, the top 2 people that should have their own memorial are God & Michael Jackson. I think God should have His own memorial because He created the Heavens & Earth. & I think Michael Jackson should have a memorial becase he had & still has alot of fans. Michael is an idol to alot of people including me! & God is my Lord, Father, & Savior! That is why I think God & Michael Jackson should have a memorial!

August 24, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  117. Yazi

I think that it is not a person that should be represented in D.C but an idea. The idea of peace, to be exact. It is something people have strived for for the past thousands of years and is important in all of our hearts. Peace is something all people represented in D.C have tried to create and has inspired some of the best people our world has known.

August 25, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  118. diesel

Personaly i think we need to build a memorial for the innocenc people killed in the 9 11 attack in New York City. I think another memorial that needs to be build is for the firefighters and rescue teams who put there lives in harms way to protect and save Americans during the collapse for the twin towers and bombing of the pentagon. I also think we need to honor our U.S. troops with a memorial cause they are now fighting for our freedom over seas thanks to the 9 11 attack. The 9 11 attack could of devasted our country but thanks to these brave people we still have our freedom today.

August 26, 2011 at 10:16 am |
  119. Deareon

i will like to memorlize my teacher ms.frey because she has always been there for all of her students and also she is the best math teacher

August 26, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  120. Cale

When I think of someone who might deserve to be memorialized I think of people who have influenced how I live every day, such as Larry Page and Sergey Brin (the guys who came up with Google), or King C. Gillette (inventor of the disposable razor), but actually I believe someone who REALLY deserves to be memorialized is someone who has influenced how every American THINKS every day. People who come to mind are especially civil rights leaders and people who paved the way for civil rights such as Rosa Parks, Malcom X ,and obviously MLK, but also the sports color barrier breakers like Jackie Robinson and Jesse Owens.

August 28, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  121. Aleesha

I would like to memorlize anyone who has been a hero. There deads could be submitted and put into a big book for heros.

August 31, 2011 at 4:41 pm |