.
May 25th, 2011

Our Top Stories, Your Reactions

We've listed some of the biggest stories of the school year below. If you take a moment to tell us how you reacted to any one of these stories, you may see your comment on next Friday's edition of CNN Student News!

Send us a line or two describing what you thought or felt when you heard about any of these events:

Japan earthquake/tsunami

Death of Osama bin Laden

U.S. Midterm Elections

Rescue of Chilean miners

Tornadoes, floods in America

U.S. economic progress & pain

Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan

Upheaval in Arab nations

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Chase

With the death of Osama bin Laden i reacted in a political way. I think justice was served. And now maybe most family's can rest better know justice was served.

May 25, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  2. Monica S.

These stories have been shocking! I love how cnn student news keeps us up to date of these tragites so we know what's going on in the world.

Thanks cnn student news! πŸ™‚

May 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  3. Emily

I live in Ohio and my Language Arts and Social Studies class watches cnn student news and I can't believe on how many shocking stories has been on here like the death of Osama Binladen but there is a good thing. No more stories on what he did while still being a terrorist

May 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  4. karlin

when I heard about the earthquake/tsunami in japan I thought thats so terrible. I wonder what I could do to help resolve the natural disaster in japan because japan was once a beautiful place.

May 25, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  5. Jueun

I'm living in Korea, so the Japan earthquake and tsunami was the most shocking news to me. And the biggest result, the radioactive leaking. Due to that accident, almost all of the foreigners who visited Japan came to Korea for safety. News and newspapers were covered by the article of that accident and following consequences.
    Even the weather forecast said about radioactive rain. It was hard time. And I guess damaged Japanese are having hard time even now.

May 25, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  6. Ally

The topic "Tornadoes, floods in America" shocked me. Natural disasters happening across the world seemed unreal until CNN talked about disasters in my own country. This disaster was happening only a few states over from me. What if the tornado hit where I lived? Nowadays I am actually considering how to help these people, all thanks to CNN Student News!

May 25, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  7. Kelsey

I have to say my class has just recently started watching student news, but I did catch the death of BIn Laden. The news story on it gave me more information on the subject. And it has made my opinion more clear. Thank you CNN student news!

May 25, 2011 at 6:51 pm |

The topic "U.S. Midterm Elections" got my attention, I found it interesting that Mr. Barack Obama is running again for re-election! That he has to finish unfinished business is probably true.

May 25, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
  9. Jane

Like Jueun, my grandparents are living in Korea, and ever since the Japan earthquake and tsunami hit, I was so shocked and worried about them. Anyone who can, please help Japan. Thank you!

May 25, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  10. Henri

I think think that the Osama Bin Ladin story was a HUGE impact for the world, and it was very important to everyone. Pretty much everyone at my school was completely taken back and was surprised, and we talked about it in our social studies class for 2 days strait, and thats all we heard on the news for a week. It completely surprised us all.

May 25, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
  11. Koki

I'm a Japanese University student. The foreign medias including CNN were very useful for me because I could know the foreigners's view. We should say sorry for radioactive materials. Now, Japanese people, especially victims in Tohoku area, are doing effort to reconstruct. Please remember this major disaster.

May 26, 2011 at 2:40 am |
  12. Kamilla

Hi~ I'm Korean student. I felt very sad when I heard the tsnami quake in Japan. There were too many damages and I was melancholy as a same Asian with them. I want them to recover from the radiation problem quickly and be happy again~

May 26, 2011 at 4:47 am |
  13. Ms Arnold's 6th grade class

War in Iraq,Libya,etc.
    Why are we fighting spending money in the billions with bombs ,weapons, when we should be helping our own countrymen? who suffer famine,no homes,destruction, because of the toronadoes etc.
    We need to educate the people in the Middle East with schools and help them that way.

May 26, 2011 at 7:54 am |
  14. Tony

The Chilean miners were very inspiring to me. They survived underground for so long. I don't think that I could've done it.

May 26, 2011 at 7:58 am |
  15. Tony

The Chilean miners were very inspiring to me. They survived underground for so long. I don't think that I could've done it. They were very brave. They had to stay strong.

May 26, 2011 at 8:00 am |
  16. Danielle

This is what i think about the "floods in america." The floods in America are making our economy desasterous they are making it so that we can not produce crops for our ecomomy. Most farmers are really mad because cuts there pay from what it is used to be. They have to raise the prices of there crops so they can make enough money to live off of. All over the United states there has been devistation and disaterious weather there has been so much flooding that our world is going down the drain and this is what i think.

May 26, 2011 at 8:04 am |
  17. Josh

The new elections beleive it or not are coming to quickly. 2012 may seem to be coming slowly but they are just around the corner. i dont think that obama should be president again not that i dont like him but because we need to give someone new a shot at the presidential chair.

May 26, 2011 at 8:04 am |
  18. Alec

Thank you CNN Student News for presenting these stories to us and although most of them are tragic, the people who have gone through them have set such an example for all of us things like teamwork and perserverance. To those people i say you will always be in my thoughts as well as many others.

May 26, 2011 at 8:06 am |
  19. Ryan

During the U.S. midterm elections I started to wish i could vote. To get my opinion noticed and i got excited to see who would win or lose the elections.

May 26, 2011 at 8:16 am |
  20. Spear Class

The tornados were the most important topic to our class because they were happening so close to us.

May 26, 2011 at 8:42 am |
  21. Shelby

I had Friends in New York on 9/11, So I was Glad of the Death of Osama bin Laden. I feel like people feel more safe when they heard about the death, I know that I am.

Thanks for the Updates CNN

May 26, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  22. Braxtany

The death of Osama was victory to us Americans. After his death we felt like that we won the war against the Taliban. That day in 2001 was very tragic, so tragic that we had to search for this mastermind to that very destructive, devastating day and finally almost 10 years later we finally found Osama and got revenge.

May 26, 2011 at 9:01 am |
  23. Teresa

I live in Japan, and when I saw the Japan earthquake on CNN news, I thought people from all around the world were caring about the country I am living. Especially when I saw the school children using thier field trip money for donation. Fortuanately, I don't live around where the earthquake hit, but we are having a hard time facing with the high priced food and gasoline.

May 26, 2011 at 9:06 am |
  24. Gabby

When I heard about the disasters in Japan I was heart broken, I watched every news channel every radio broadcast and they all said the same thing: Disaster in Japan. the first thing that came to my mind is how can I help, what can a middle school student like me do to help such a big problem? What I did was DONATE I gave away clothing, toys, canned foods. I knew that there was something I could do that would make a difference in my Earth my world, and that is exactly what I did. So next time you have the chance to help someone, take it because there might be a time when you need help and no one is around to help you: Persevere, Strive, Fight...

May 26, 2011 at 9:12 am |
  25. Jace

These stories have highlighted the international tragedies that have struck just this year and have also brought the good things to light. Keep up the good work CNN.

May 26, 2011 at 9:15 am |
  26. Myanda

The "Tornadoes, Floods In America" really concerns everyone. I'm only a little ways away from that. What if these natural disasters had hit me? I'd be devistated. It seems ridiculous to believe all that's going on, but CNN Student News got me to think about these people and how to help them.

May 26, 2011 at 9:19 am |
  27. Maddie

I think that CNN Student News did a good job covering all the of the stories listed. The most shocking for me was the death of Osama Binladen. It was great how President Obama's speech was included in the coverage.

May 26, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  28. Danielle

I have chosen to respond in a formal comment to "U.S economic progress & pain" In my honest opinion, I think that our country has not imporved in the economy. Gas prices have continued to rise and your everday tools prices are soaring. Many prices on things are unbelievable. Hopefully, over the next few years, our economy will improve.

May 26, 2011 at 9:55 am |
  29. Sheldon

Victory,we finally killed Osama Bin Laden. I live in the New York tri-state area and it was terrible. In my town some people even died form him. Also, alot of people that worked in NYC like my mom had to go to emergency shelters. At the Phillies game on the videoboard it said he was dead. Then, all the fans chanted " USA USA". Osama is absolutly horrible.

May 26, 2011 at 9:58 am |
  30. Blake

The war in Iraq. I see absolutely no point in why we are there, sure terrorists are attacking, but i think we should recall all troops back to America. We need to secure the Homeland first, then we need to work on our debt. Then once we have that figured out, then we can go back to Iraq and Afghanistan. But come on, look at how bad out country is doing. I see where the government is coming from, but look at the U.S., we are over 14 trillion dollars in debt. Even in Libya, no one helped us through our civil war when we needed it.

May 26, 2011 at 10:13 am |
  31. Natalie

I was devistated. Not only is Japan one of the worlds largest economies, but my favorite teacher has lost of friends & family living in the area that was hit!

May 26, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  32. Waleel

Japan earthquake. that tsunami was devesting. second, was the death of osama bin laden. At last, Economic crisis. Its a big deal because without the economy, there no more money in the world.

May 26, 2011 at 10:44 am |
  33. nate

the tornados and the floods have been most destructive. it has happend in many states. im am still wondering what to do next

May 26, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  34. Jun

"Upheavals in the Arab world "was very bad,because many civilians who weren't involved got killed as well,and I hate killing each other. It's so disgusting and cruel.

May 26, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  35. josemiguel

i felt when the Chilean miners got out that it was a great relief and it was a miracle they were able to survive for that long. i was filled with excitement when they pulled out the first miner and it was awesome!!!!

May 26, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  36. MrsGill"sClass

Our class watches your news everyday. It keeps our class up to date on currant events. we have a lot of disscusions on these events.

May 26, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  37. Marcello

The story of the tornado really shocked me incredibly. I thought of how the victims felt. That feeling of hopelessness is extremely sad and also knowing the fact that your neighborhood is obliterated is sad too. Having NO home at all is really hard for a family to come to terms with and I hope all of those families can overcome the adversity that has come to their doorstep.

May 26, 2011 at 11:23 am |
  38. Neil

The biggest story I thought was the chilian minner rescue because it realy showed how the would came togather to help rescue the trped minners.

May 26, 2011 at 11:47 am |
  39. Meghan

The death of Osama Bin Laden is what i think is the most important thing we have learned form CNN student news!Now that he is gone we can all breath a little easer!I was so shocked the navy found him!I even remember he passed when I was watching a Phillies game!

May 26, 2011 at 11:56 am |
  40. Jonas

There have been many natural disasters this year, but I would say that Japan's earthquake/tsunami was the most devastating. What scard me the most was that if something like this had happened to us we might not be ready.

May 26, 2011 at 11:56 am |
  41. Graciela

The death of Osama Bin Laden got me thinking about the kind of world we live,almost ten years later, we are still trying to hunt and kill Osama. It effects our next generation because it shows us that two wrongs make it right. I didn't know how to respond to the fact that when we killed Osama, all of a sudden, there was peace to Earth, but it wasn't right that they took revenge on him. There still is going to be someone to raise up and fill in the shoes of Osama, killing him didn't really do any good. There will never ever be a time of harmony and peace because we are always taking revenge on anyone that gets us angry and by that, we are getting them mad too. The United States forgot that two wrongs don't make a right.

May 26, 2011 at 11:57 am |
  42. JiHyun

As I am a Korean student, living in Korea, Japan earthquake and tsunami was quite shoking. In my case, my close friend had lived in Japan so I worried a lot. Thank God, he came back safely.
    Japan earthquake had effect Korean economy a lot by raising every single prices. Thus, the radioactive leaking caused radioactive rain and so many patients. I donated little money of mine but it didn't seem like really working because of the transportation problems. Japan's disaster is still an issue in Korea because it rains often these days.

May 26, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  43. Francisco

i think that all the severe weather and tornadoes are making a big difference in the united states....it is going to hurt our economy.

May 26, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
  44. Konner

I was watching the Mets and Phillies game when they began to satrt chanting USA! USA!. thats when i found out about the death of Osama Bin Laden. as soon as i found out i realized what an accomplishment we just got. i hope this will lead our country forward.

May 26, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  45. Isabella

The U.S. economic progress & pain makes me feel terrible. Much more people are becoming homeless, and the govornment isn't doing anything! I hope that the US will get better soon. 😦

May 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
  46. Elizabeth

I liked listening about all of these topics. They were not only interesting, but shocking. I especially liked hearing about the tsunami in Japan. Not because I thought it was a good thing, but because it was an opportunity to help. The rescues of the miners in Chile, I thought, was amazing. I appreciate the way CNN is updating students on local and world news.

May 26, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  47. Rutta

I THINK ITS THE BUDGET. ITS A RELLAY BIG PROBLEM. THE BUDGET IS HURTING EVER ONE.

May 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  48. Mrs. B's class

Chris says: Its really awful that the earthquake happened, I hope they recover.
    Austin says: I am happy Osama Bin Laden is dead because he killed many people on 9/11.
    Gloria: I am happy Bin Laden is gone because I know people affected by this tragedy and a person who is a good friend of mine was affected so I'm glad he's gone.

May 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  49. Cassidy

Japan's tragic tsunami/earthquake was a big topic of 2011. Alot of people lost there homes, loved ones and even their lives. It didn't just affect Japan it also affected the U.S. and our economy because alot of products are made in Japan. This tramadic event will be remembered forever.

May 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  50. Lindsey

I think that the rescue of the Chilean minners and the death of Osama Bin Laden were the two topics throughout the year that stood out the most. The Chilean minners story is truly amazing! Being trapped uner ground for that long and everyone surviving is an inspiring story. The death of Osama Bin Laden however, is just a feeeling of freedom. Now I feel like I don't have to live in fear of another attack.

May 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  51. tosha

I think that Japans tragic earthquake and tsunami was the one I remembered in2010- 2011. It was very dangerous and killed a lot of citizens. It didn't only effect Japan it also affected the U.S. economy. Many people lost everything they had not only their homes but many family members, and friends. This will always be remembered.

May 26, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  52. Marshall

I want to talk about Lybia. I don't think that CNN should have showed that video because if the other part of the counrty saw it the
    may attack. But, for me the video was very interesting.

May 26, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  53. annette

I think that we go into war to much. We have no business going to any country and invading there property.They have done nothing to us so why do something to them.

May 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  54. Scott

I think that Japan and it's problem is the most powerful thing that you have showed here on CNN student news it broke my heart I was just so shocked that it happened to Japan the Earthquake/tsunami when i herd about it i was so scared that I wish i had a million dollars to send to Japan to help!

May 26, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  55. Lethicia

The tornado story: Many people died and no house. The tornado is so bad because many families are sad. I feel bad.

May 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  56. Mary

I found the reports on the tornadoes to be very powerful. The destruction is absolutely amazing. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims.

May 26, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  57. Grace

I enjoy learning what's going on in the U.S. economy. I knew some people were poor, but homeless shocked me. I never knew it was this worse.

May 26, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  58. jessica

I haven't really watched CNN student news that much only in school. Since I have been watching it I would have to say it would be the Osama Bin Lad. That man was history. He killed a lot of people,wrecked the twin towers.

May 26, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  59. cristian

With the wars happening in afghanistain we are losing solders. The war is doing nothing but causing alot of harm to use one day what happend in 2001 can happen again if we do not stop with the war and just make peace treates. But war is nataral it will never stop. But there are to many wars that are not worth fighting for just to let it go.

May 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  60. Andrew az

When I heard about the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan I thought that more people would suffer because they could lose someone they loved, and thats pretty sad. I just wish that there could be peace in the world.

May 26, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  61. AngelAz

When i Iherd the war in iraq was still going on it made me fell sad because all the people that wher ther and the troops fight for ther rights and all the people that had to go through that stuff.

May 26, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  62. AntonioAz

i was so surprised when i heard about the number of deaths in afghanistan and iraq i know the hard effort the us army and us marine corps put in to all the squads and missions. i respect the military and i hope every man and women survives in the afghan war.

May 26, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  63. Shivani

The economic progress in the United States of America is extremely limited because the government fails to realize that small buisnesses truly drive this country. Small buisnesses are the basis of this great country, and I believe we need to focus more on strengthening them.

May 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  64. Ebenezer

The story that stood out most to me was about the tornadoes and floods in America. We live in Minnesota, so the same tornadoe that ripped through Joplin, Missouri destroyed some of our houses too. It sticks out not only because it affected us, but it also affected the entire nation. If we keep getting this weather, our nation will be in ruins. Maybe this story is a sign with global issues.

May 26, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  65. Gabriella

I am living in South Korea and Japan earthquake and tsunami was the most shoking thing for me. Since I have a friend in Japan named Yuri I was so worried about her and her family. I did send some food and emergency kit to her and her family though. Last thing I want to say is that I hope me and my friends can always give a hand when Japan is in trouble.

May 26, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  66. Kenya

The most memorable topic of this past school year was between the death of Osama Bin Laden AND the Japan tsunami/earhquake. My class and I donated thousands of paper cranes to help provide money for many of the people still in poverty over this massive attack on the homeland. Bin Laden's death striked alot of conflict between the government and or local econamy. Even different countries around heard and started having complications. I'm at least some of it is resolved!

May 26, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
  67. Andrew

The Japan earthquake/tsunami took me by surpise. It makes me sad to know so many people are suffering because of this. Worse of all the economy has been going down. It makes it harder because less people are buying their stuff to help them. The damage devastated so much of the country, but they are already recovering and are making much progess in recovering. It warms my heart to know Japan is becoming better and better since the disaster.

May 26, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  68. kai

I watch CNN Student News in my class in California and was shocked by the earthquake and tsunami in japan. I am also Japanese and feel sorry for the residents in japan. My class made a bake sale to send money and I feel happy for the people it will be used on.

May 26, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
  69. Ben

For me, it was the Chilean Miners. I was following that story day-by-day and it was nice to see that CNN Student News followed it too. I asked my teachers if we could broadcast a live video feed of the rescue, on our school's local, school-only, TV channel. I got a "Yes." All day teachers in classrooms could change to that channel and watch the rescue.

What was most inspiring about this story- the rescue. World countries came together here, and they saved everyone. It just goes to show you what we can do if we work together.

May 27, 2011 at 6:56 am |
  70. Grace

Hearing about the rescue of Chilean miners helped prove to the world that there is always hope. It also showed that no man should be left behind. I heard the news that the Chilean miners were free on a vacation me and my father went on. That topped off a great trip!

The tornadoes and floods in America are probably one of the biggest headlines that were stressed across our nation. I think that the tornadoes and floods were a very important headline because it's something all Americans can relate to if you're either a victim, or someone trying to help the victims recover. Knowing that so many people have helped the victims of the tornadoes and floods recover was the most heart warming heading yet.

The death of Osama bin Laden was a victory that anyone across the globe can relate to. Since so many people can relate to it, I believe that this was most likely one of the biggest headlines of the year.

I found out during Pre-Algebra class that Japan had been struck by a vicious and deadly quake. My thoughts and prayers went directly towards all victims and people affected by this epidemic.

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan might not affect many, but being a Military child, I know what it's like to have a family member exposed to this war. I really hope that the war will end soon so families can stop suffering from this unfortunate event. I don't know why man should solve their differences by fighting. No one wins.....

All of these headlines have been such big ones because they are situations from dreams come true to war and death. All and all, they are headlines that everyone can relate to; no matter if you live in Chile, Alabama, Tokyo, or Afghanistan. What a school year.....

Most of all, I would like to thank CNN Student News for providing us with the latest headlines and stories. Not to mention the "hilarious" puns, Carl!

πŸ™‚

May 27, 2011 at 9:24 am |
  71. Kristen

Hello CNN student news! I am in a Contemporary Issues class. The death of Osama bin Laden was a very shocking story. I never thought in my life time that he would have been killed. Bin Laden seemed to disappear from the face of the earth and some how our troops manage to find and kill him. The "Tornadoes, Floods in America" is a story that hit close to home. Most of the areas that have been affected are right in my back yard. It amazes me how much hope the people affected have. They have lost everything they owned and they are looking at the glass half full instead of half empty. If a tornado ever hits my home i can only hope that i will have as much faith and courage as the people affected in this seasons natural disasters.

May 27, 2011 at 9:48 am |
  72. Christa

i currently live in troy Missouri and every other day in my contemporary issues class we watch CNN student news to see whats going on around the world about anything from weather to the death of a terrorist. Osama bin Laden. I think that now that Osama has finally been put to rest that the families of those who were lost in the devastation of 9-11 can finally rest easy knowing that he is no longer able to cause them any more harm mentally or physically. Also, the "Tornadoes,floods in America" has been a very heartbreaking subject to me, to think of all those people who lost there loved ones and virtually everything they had, i cant help but to think that i need to contribute in some way to help these people make it through these hard times.

May 27, 2011 at 9:49 am |
  73. Sammy

When I heard the results of the midterm election, I was very glad that there will be more smart people in congress who actually know how to run a country.

May 27, 2011 at 9:52 am |
  74. shelby

the "U.S. and economic progress and pain" story didn't surprise me at all. why have a debt ceiling if it can be moved, why have a budget if we don't obey it's terms? a budget proves purposeless in this situation, no matter what the ceiling will be raised.
    the tornado destruction in Joplin put a steel block in my stomach, my heart goes out to those people.

May 27, 2011 at 9:53 am |
  75. Carla

with the topic 'Death of Osama bin Laden' it shocked me!!! i didn't think they were ever going to find him. i believe that justice had been served. that some of the family's are happier now that he's dead but its not going to change anything or bring anybody back. But even though he's dead this is not over. people still remember that day as if it was yesterday.

With the topic 'Tornadoes, floods in America' i was so shocked!!! i just couldn't believe that so many people died. the tornado in Joplin really affected me. i just couldn't believe that such a big thing could happen to such a small town.
    If it wasn't for my contemporary issues class i wouldn't have heard about any of this. an watching CNN news everyday really helped too:) thanks CNN:)

May 27, 2011 at 9:58 am |
  76. Andy

I'm living in South Korea. First there were two voices in our nation. First, Japan is our border country, so we should help them and second, Japan colonized us for 35 years so we shouldn't help them. I raise hand for the first one. Because the Disaster was very shocking to me too. I have a relative living in Aomori State, the northest state in Honshu island. Our school planned to come a homestay friend in sister school in Tokyo in March 23rd but they didn't come because the Narita Airport was banned for few days. Still, I remember about the Nuclear shock and rumor. The CNN Student News's one brodcast in Mid April gave me a thinking that Fukushima can be like 25 year banned Chernobyl. I love you CNN Student News although I am half a world away as you said one week ago!!!

May 27, 2011 at 10:07 am |
  77. Maddie

For me, the death of Osama Binladen was the most suprising, they did what they needed to do.

May 27, 2011 at 10:09 am |
  78. Hyunsugi

I'm living in S.Korea and top story to me was Japan earthquake. Japan was really strong country, almost top on Asia. But in front of the power of the nature, human beings are nothing. It gave me a big lesson.

May 27, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  79. jason

ok Osama Bin Laden is dead i am happy so why do some people are still runing around screaming it, it's innoying

May 27, 2011 at 10:40 am |
  80. Joshua

I still cant believe we actually... and finally killed Osama Bin Laden. Life will go on as normal but to me it was a significant day and should be remebered.

May 27, 2011 at 11:09 am |
  81. Shelby

With the tornados happening and everything it makes my heart break into a million peices knowing that i cant do much for those people that are having a tough time and i wish i could!

May 27, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  82. Cyajha

When i heard that Osama bin Laden was dead I said, " The USA is free at last πŸ™‚

May 27, 2011 at 11:58 am |
  83. Ladell

I don't think they should fine the kids because it really only hurt there parents wallet.

May 27, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  84. DeShawn

The earthquake/tsunami in japan was terrible.It is sad to see a small country be hit with disasters.japan will recover but it may take some time.We just have to give them all the support we have.

May 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  85. Adam

I was shocked that tornadoes seem to hit anywhere. The strong winds knocking everything down made me really feel sorry for all the victims.

May 27, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  86. Christopher

All these stories are very shocking and important to remember. I think the Japan Earthquake/Tsunami topic is very important because the earthquake was one of the most major earthquakes that last for nearly 5 minutes. After the earthquake, it caused a tsunami flooding the coasts and cities of Japan. Even after these, explosions came, causing nuclear air to flood the atmosphere.

May 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
  87. Sam

Hello Cnn Student news I feel right now we aren't doing enough for Joplin, Arkansas, and Japan these places are in need be creative and think outside of the box to help these locations from times of need because of natural disasters. Tell your friends tell your family tell your school and make a difference. Thank you!!!!

May 27, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  88. Shandi

The "Tornadoes, floods in America" made me cry because my cousins live in Missouri. After I went home that day I went straight to my room to find clothes that don't fit, toys my brother and I don't use and soap and toothbrushes (new). All I want is that the flooding won't cause too much damage.

May 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
  89. Jayden

When I heard about Osama bin laden hijacked two planes and the planes hit two tallest buildings in New York I could not believe it because the construction workers put in their hard work to build TWO tallest buildings and the bulidings was gone completely and plus people were in there and thousands of them was killed and the death of him was a good thing because before his death he was still planning to do something bad

May 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  90. LaShawnda

One of my biggest concerns about the tornadoes is that we might be next. Also that people have lost everything. I feel terrible knowing that I have a bed to sleep in and someone else out there doesn’t.
    I can only imagine.

May 27, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  91. Mrs. Ketchams class

We can relate to the tornadoes because we had experienced the shock of a tornadoe... The tornadoe caused a lot of debris to be tossed throughout the town. There were three deaths. Many people lost their homes and red cross came to help in the care of the people. Some of us or our relatives have been an eye witness to seeing what the horrific storm can do!

May 27, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  92. Jonathan

NFL LockOut Day 68 Football

May 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  93. Tina

i live in Michigan and there is a lot of things considering the gas prices since all of the crisises in the middle east. my dad works in lLansing, Michigan and i live in stockbridge. Michigan. it is a long drive and takes a lot of money to get gas so it is hard for my family, moneywise. also the tornadoes and the earthquakes/ tsunami were very shocking to me. i thought that it was a joke but it turned out it was not. also the death of Osama bin Laden was very shocking too. i think some people were relieved that he was dead becasue he had killed a lot of people in 9-11.

May 27, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  94. carlos

the upheavel in arab nations

May 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  95. Sasha

Carl- Are you going to be filming CNN Student News over the summer?? Please let us know on an upcoming edition....... my class and teacher wants to know.......

Thanks! πŸ™‚

May 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  96. Gracie

I was really happy when I found out that the Chilean Miners were saved because it was one of the happiest headlines of the year. It showed that they never gave up to save their people!

May 27, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  97. Grace

The wars in iraq and Afghanistan might have not been stressed too much in the news, but being a Military Child myself, I know that many families across America have been effected by this. It is really hard to go through a deployment when you have a loved one fighting in the war.

May 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  98. Jesse

I found while I was watching the tornado in Missouri that it was quite awesome to see but it was also awful for the communities to live through or have to lose a family member to.

May 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  99. CTE

We were overwhelmed when we saw a lot of the news stories on your list. Although the death of Osama Bin Laden made us feel safer the earthquake in Japan was awful. The earthquake in Japan made us want to help.

May 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  100. Jared

I think that the nuclear power plant disaster in Japan will have an effect on the local wildlife in the ocean and an effect on the citizens of Japan too. Since you havent been showing it on the news lately I worry that Americans will forget about it and they never should.

May 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  101. Kayla

I thought the WikiLeaks issue was interesting to learn about. It was amazing how many talked about it and how upset people were. It's a real freedom of speech issue.

May 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  102. Deven

The earthquake and tsunami in Japan was terrible I couldn't believe it , while I was watching I was wondering what it would be like if it was me and my family. I can't believe how many people died especially the children. I only wish I could have stopped it.

May 27, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  103. Jackson

I'm still upset about the Gulf oil spill. It's so deep and will have such an impact on plants and animals for so long. Natural disasters are sad, but man-made disasters make me mad.

May 27, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  104. ben

I think it was good that the U.S military killed bin laden because all he was doing was figuring out ways to go kill people in the U.S that never did anything to him but he masterminded the 911 attack. That was horrible thing to do

May 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  105. Stone

Thank you cnn student news for giving the news on Japans earthquake/tsunami, the Death of Osama bin Laden, the U.S. Midterm Elections, the Rescue of Chilean miners, the Tornadoes, floods in America, the U.S. economic progress & pain, the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the Upheaval in Arab nations
    πŸ˜€ Thank you πŸ˜€

May 27, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  106. Hailey

The death of Osama Bin Laden, shocked me! I think it is good they have finally found him after all these years and killed him for killing many of the citizens in the U.S. I now feel like we have accomplished, making people feel safe in their lives!

May 27, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  107. Noelle

The death of Osama bin Laden was shocking to me. I don't think it is right to be happy about the death of a human being, but it does provide some closure for all of the families whose lives were permanently changed because of what he did.

May 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  108. Jayden

I heard about when Osama bin laden hijacked two planes and the two hits two tallest buildings in New York I was shocked because the construction workers put hard work of building TWO tallest buildings it probably took year to built two tall buildings and their hard work of building the tallest buildings had turned into nothing thanks to Osama. before his death his was still planning to do something bad but now that his is dead he will not be doing something bad

May 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  109. Dyami

I feel bad for my homies in Japan. This is a desperate time in need for Japan. They need some help right now! Lets give them a hand. We can change Japan in a snap. We need to stop the suffering in Japan. They need us right now. Good luck homies

May 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  110. Briley

I thought the disasters in Japan were the biggest news. The images of the 9.0 earthquake, the tsunami, and following nuclear disasters will stick with me forever. It's impossible for me to imagine it, but CNN pictures, videos, and stories helped.

May 27, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  111. Cameron

I feel terrible for the people in Japan. They had to go through an earthquake and a tsunami in one day! I wonder how they are coping with it so far. I wonder if they are having anymore problems with thier power plants. Good luck to my homies in Japan.

May 27, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  112. Reid

I thought the flooding of the Mississippi was the biggest because of the destruction of homes and lives. It affects me because my great uncle lives in Missouri and his home was flooded.

May 27, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  113. Loren and Ashley

We think the 8.9 earthquake in Japan was very, very sad. We are amazed it moved the Earth to spin a half second faster and moved the island 8 feet! The danger was horrible and the trouble that came after was terrible too. The nuclear plant that leaked made life really hard for not just them, but even around the world and the U.S. We hope that things can get fixed and people will be able to go back and live normally soon. It is so hard to imagine all the trouble they are going through...

May 27, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  114. Wayson

Thank you for keepingour class up to date on current events. Carl Azuz your jokes brighten up our Friday. We love you Carl.

May 27, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  115. Domonique

The Topic of Osama's death had given me relief for all of the family's that lost a love one in 9-11.

May 27, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  116. Jake

When Osama died I was like
    USA USA...

May 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  117. David

I've been hearing a lot about our economic progress and pain lately. We are over 10 trillion dollars in debt, and it just keeps seeming to rise every couple of years. It doesn't seem that our government spending is going down, and so it doesn't seem we're doing anything about it. Someone needs to step up soon before it gets too much to handle.

May 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  118. David

With all of these disasters going on, it's simulating a lot of fear, worry, and stress in the world. The earthquakes in Haiti, the tsunami in Japan, the nuclear power plant leeking waste, and just about a week ago, the zombie apocolypse 9even though it was a joke). It's like something is trying to say the world will end in 2012.

May 27, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  119. Karen

US citizens need to come together and help people that have been devasted by the tornadoes and the floodings. I think people should participate in helping these people because you never know what you have until it is gone. This is a time where America needs to come together and cooperate.

May 27, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  120. Ally

When I first heard about the earthquake in japan, I was hurt. But I was hurt even more because my friend is part japanese and has been to that land of her ancestors many times. I feel really sorry for her. I was glad, though to hear that we did everything we could to help and japan is getting better.

May 27, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  121. Cal

I thought the biggest story was the Japan disasters. It literally moved the world!
    These are what I consider the top 5 stories:
    #1 the Japan disasters and their devastation.
    #2 the continuing Gulf oil spill. It was man made and killed so much wildlife.
    #3 the 33 Chilean miners rescue. It was inspiring because it showed determination and how to not give up.
    #4 the economy and budget issues. We are so deep it's like we'll never be able to get out. It's weird to think China owns about 8% of the U.S.
    #5 the riots in the middle east. They affect so many with their choices that have led to civil wars.

May 27, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  122. Maya

I think the Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan was the biggest thing that has happened this year because it caused massive damage and changes the lives of many people. It also caused the nuclear reactors to overheat. I wanted to go to Japan and help. I watch CNN student news with my class and we all saw the pictures of Japan. It was a horrible thing in history. Even though it didn't happen to me I will always remember that moment no matter what.

May 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  123. Lexie

All the tornadoes in the U.S. have been really shocking and sad. All these innocent people are losing all they have and they didn't have any control.

May 27, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  124. Jonah

Bin Laden killed so many innocent people on 9/11 and I think that our whole nation came together and celebrated just like our whole nation came together and mourned after 9/11. I was proud to be an American that day

May 27, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  125. Monica

The tsunmi in japan was very shocking! I can't beleve they had so many earthquakes and how much of japan is now in ruins.

Thanks cnn for keeping us up to date. πŸ˜€

May 27, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  126. Sammy

The topic "Japan earthquake/tsunami" shocked me. I had no clue that a earthquake AND a tsunami could do that much damage, especially with a short amount of time in between the two extreme weather conditions.

May 27, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  127. Paul

Basically what I felt is disappointment and how the US is slowly falling apart. But hey thats just me.

May 27, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  128. Brice

I think that the death of Osama Bin Laden was a very important milestone in the United States , and we should be proud of our accomplishments and will look forward to someday defeating the Taliban.

May 27, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  129. Sophia

I think the death of Osama Bin Laden really shocked me most. I felt that justice was returned to the families who lost loved ones in 9-11. It really shocked me that we were able to defeat him. I figured we would'nt be safe from him until he died of fld age.
    The thing I hated most about Osama Bin Ladin was not 9-11 but how he changed the way we look at Muslims. Because of him and other extremests we associate most Muslims with him.

May 27, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  130. Jalesia

Some of them were sad but also some were good to.

May 27, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  131. Joshua

What led to all these disasters and all of the great moments in history, well i don't know about that but i would feel heartbroken and sad, but look at the brightside u still get to have your wheaties every morning to do good when you need good right Carl, uhh Carl, ... are you there, oh well he'll be back on cnnsn on friday where then my comment will be seen by my fellow mustangs at my school

May 27, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  132. mo's class

Hi Carl, our class watched CNN student news everyday and we believe that the upheaval in Arab Nations was a top story because it effected the whole world. After these events our class started to pay more attention to the news and follow whats going on in the world.

May 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  133. Remi

The earthquake/tsunami and the tornadoes, floods in America was rather shocking, and sad to hear about. But hearing about all the ways you can help, and how other people are doing things to help really brightens up my day!

May 27, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
  134. Adam

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is what shocked me the most. The reason is because my friends 19 year old cousin died in Iraq and my uncle just retired from the Navy 2 years ago.

Go CNN student news you rock Carl πŸ™‚

May 27, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
  135. Isabelle

I feel sorry for all the people who lost their homes in the tsunami.

May 27, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
  136. Isabelle

I wonder if the movement of tectonic plates will cause Mount. Fuji will erupt.

May 27, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
  137. Emma

all of these stories are sad and distressing, but the most sad for me is the floods and earthquakes in japan. the thought of drowning while ur sleeping brings tears to my eyes.

May 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
  138. Cortney

I Think Osama Bin ladin Deserved To Die Look at all The suffering and Pain he Did.!

May 27, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  139. Luis

On the death of Osama Bin Laden, I felt like" yeah" but I also thought all lives are sacred why didn't they catch him instead of kill him.

May 27, 2011 at 10:15 pm |

i think that the tornadoes shocked me that they have happened in the past two weeks.

May 27, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  141. Elizabeth

When the tornadoes and floods started hitting the mid-west I was so scared and shocked. I have family in a city near Joplin, MO and I was so scared that they were hurt. Over half my family lives in the mid-west and if we lost any of them to these insane storms, we'd all be crushed.

May 27, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  142. Jaeyeong

Hi~ I'm Korean student who loves CNN Student News. I wanna talk about the Japan 's tsnami quake because this is so meaningful for me as a same Asian. I imagined it happening in my country and I could empathize Japaneses' sorrow. And it makes me more sad and melancholy that there's another problem except earthquake, which is the radiation problem. I wish the nuclear reactor to be fixed ASAP and please recover all of the Japan.

May 27, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
  143. Angie

so many things have rocked this country and other countries alike. The tornadoes scared many people, Bin Ladens death shocked people, ( i didnt really quite understand, im not really in with the polictical news) and the economy
    Now time for
    WORLD PEACE!

May 28, 2011 at 1:02 am |
  144. Siobhan

I don't think people should be celebrating anybody's death – even Osama Bin Laden. Yes it was something that needed to be done, but if you are happy that someone died you are rude. The familes who lost loved ones get some closure, but that is no way to act. Us Americans need to be nice.

May 28, 2011 at 2:00 am |
  145. Kenta

Of course it is Japan earthquake/tsunami, cause I am Japanese.
    In this year, there was a lot of nature disaster all over the world, it start from New Zealand, Japan, Spain and the US. Probably this is the sign of something.
    We should think how to react once again.

May 28, 2011 at 3:13 am |
  146. Kay

The topic "Japan earthquake/tsunami" shocked me. My best friend lives in Japan , i am so worry about her. Besides, the terrible situation of tsunami scared me. God bless Japan.

May 28, 2011 at 7:51 am |

I was shocked at the death of Osama Binladen. My mom came into my room, turned on my TV, and woke me up. We both sat and watched President Obama's speech. I was happy at the news, knowing that the tables have turned, and Justice is served.

May 28, 2011 at 8:13 am |
  148. Meg

The Rescue of the Chilean Miners was the most shocking story to me. When i first heard about the miners i was really shocked and then as they were rescueing them their was so much gratitude and emotion! Thank you CNN Student News for aways reporting great news and the best stories!!!

May 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  149. Julianna

When Osama Binladen died I thought it was probably the bigest story reported this year. Considering he was the starter of a terrorist group and the cause of 9/11 I do think justice was done. The only thing to my concern was the way people celebrated. It made it seem like we were swooping down to their level. We're better than that but we didn't show it then. thanks for reporting such great stories CNN Student News.
    Keep up the great work!

May 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  150. Megan

The rescue of the Chilean miners was one of the most touching stories reported during the whole year. The rescue was so breath-taking and the reactions of everyone was so sensere. This accident was one that not only brought Chile closer together but yet the whole world because every country had a part in the rescue. Im so glad that all of the miner made it out safe and unharmed! Thank you CNN Student News for reporting all the top stories so that every one can hear and learn about them!

May 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  151. chloe

"Osama Bin Laden's death":
    I think the soldiers and everybody on board the mission were very victorious. I am excited that there is no longer one of the biggest terrorists, but I do not still feel safe with all the other terrorists around.

May 28, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  152. alex

it was shock all that stuff on cnn student news.
    but it was most shoking when osama bin laden
    laden was reported dead.

thanks cnn student news

May 28, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
  153. Robbie

I by far think that the biggest story that affected the world was the the Japanese Earthquake. It hurt the worlds economy, by limiting there exports. Japan exports many vital products to the world such as cars, and electronics.

May 28, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  154. Will

All these things played a major role in the U.S. this year. They were all shocking, and I hope that the future holds better events.

May 28, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  155. Logan

When I found out about the death of Osama bin Laden, I was a bit skeptical. I couldn't believe it. People at my school were texting the news to everyone all day. People had different stories about the event, it was always changing. How ever it was, I felt relieved and realized how much our country can accomplish in any amount of time.

May 29, 2011 at 1:11 am |
  156. Jillian

The shocking tsunami/earthquake in Japan has really shaken the world. But it also has been thanks to the support of the world that people can slowly recover. Many natural disasters have occurred lately, but luckily we have CNN Student News to help spread the news so us, the people, can help.

May 29, 2011 at 2:52 am |
  157. Sherry

I'm Korean and I used to live in China and I had a ton of friends from Japan. And two of them lived in Fukushima. I was really shocked and so I called them but their phones were off! And all the nuclear radiation coming to Korea made me have to wear masks everyday it was seen in Korea. My friends are alive! Their coming to visit me sometime! Wee!

May 29, 2011 at 3:53 am |
  158. Genna

I think that every story was big. This is my first year watching cnn student news. It makes school a bit more fun. Thanks guys!!!!! πŸ™‚ I love cnn student news ❀

May 29, 2011 at 8:05 am |
  159. Roberts

why memorial day? should you have a moment of silece I think those who fought deserve a little more than that because they risk there own life to safe the world.

May 29, 2011 at 9:57 am |
  160. J.J.

I wonder how much radioactivity our planet can take before it becomes impossible to live here. What will we do then?

The death of Osama bin Laden was sort of bittersweet. Yes, it is a relief that he won't be attacking us, but I don't think we should rejoice in someone's death.

May 29, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
  161. mia

I felt extra scared about the chile miners because they got trapped right around my birthday. If i was able to, I would have went there or done anything i could have to help them. It really uplifted my spirits that they were saved and the videos were proof I should be relived.

May 29, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  162. chole

The japan earthquakes were devaststing. At first, I was'nt to shocked. But on cnn, the videos were the worst. And hearing about the grad ceremony right in the middle of an after shock, I felt horrible. However, hearing that the kids donated thier feild trip for help gave me a filled heart of joy.

May 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  163. Lexi

I was shocked when I saw all of the pictures from the Natural Disasters! I pictured myself as the people there and I felt so sad. Every night I pray that the people who's lives have been inpacted from the natural disasters get better.

May 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  164. Solu

Death of Osama bin Laden.. it was a huge shock many people in all over the world. I' ve heard that Americans were happy about this event. I know, Osama bin Laden was a worst terrorist to Americal; but, do they had to happy about one's death? I think we have to discuss about it seriously.

May 29, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  165. Nick

My opinion of Osama Bin Laden's death is relieved. I can feel a sense of accomplishment and freedom. Our country should feel like the worst terrorism has come, and the fear is over. We can feel free knowing the culprit of 9-11 is at the bottom of the ocean.

May 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
  166. Reggie

The Japan earthquake/tsunami/nuclear meltdown topic was an extreme shock to me. It was amazing and horrifying how something like this could happen anywhere. Now I am constantly working to keep up on the news because something might happen anyday.

May 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
  167. Theresa

With Bin Laden I was shocked but taught justice was served and happy for the families of 9/11 victims that their loved ones killer was dead. With Japan natural disasters I felt so bad for the people who live over there and hope those who survived can rebuild their life and same for the American floods/tornadoes going on now. With the rescue of the Chilean miners I felt so glad that they all came up safely and are with their families now. As for the wars/Arab upheaval I hope it just ends already it has gone on long enough. As for the U.S. elections/economy I think this country needs to figure things out and get it together.

May 29, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
  168. Matthew

I heard about many people greatly suffering from the circulation of cruel dictatorship in the Arab world. It angers me that there are still many corrupt governments doing anything they can, regardless of how immoral their activities are, to continue their dictatorship. My question to the dictators: Is dictatorship really worth killing hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians?

May 29, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
  169. caleb

I feel that Bin Laden got what he asked for . One of my cousens was in the Twin Towers.

May 29, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  170. JaQui

The tornadoes had a big impact on me. As I saw the news, I was shocked how many people lost their lives and how their families would have been. I think we all that aren't part of the tornado, shouldn't be complaining about anything because our lives are way better than theirs.

May 29, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  171. Tony

When I first heard about the death of Osama Bin Laden I felt happy that hes finally removed from the earth, but it also made me instantly think well what is Al Queda going to do back? I thought one of two things will happen eventually, either they'll fall apart and will soon be forgotten or come back to eventually be twice as strong as they were in their prime and do twice as much damage but not just to the United States but to the whole world.

May 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
  172. Arianna

i was devistaded when i heard that Japan was hit with the earthquake and tsunami. i hope that Japan will recover soon from this devistating hour! i am also devistaded. i hope alot of people help Japan! :[

May 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
  173. cyarra

We just had several tornadoes hit the Kansas and Missouri areas

May 29, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  174. katelyn

i reacted deffrent to all the stories sometimes good sometimes bad its just a good thing Carl keeps up withit all

May 29, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  175. Kazumi

I live in Tokyo, so the tsunami was really shocking to me.

Japan is getting over the damage.
    We are so grateful for the help and prayer from all over the world.
    And please keeping your eyes on our efforts for recovery!

May 30, 2011 at 7:30 am |
  176. Tyler

The death of Osama Bin Laden was a happy time for most. Most of Americans were happy some thought it was just bad.

May 30, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  177. Tyler

The flooding in the Mississippi is going wrong. The first ever Mississippi flooding was in 1927 and their are still servers today. Their has been many bad storms but this one is the worst of all we can help in small ways.

May 30, 2011 at 9:32 am |
  178. WeiCheng

My real shock came when I heard the big earthquake in Japan.
    Because I live in Taiwan,the Tsunami generated from the qhake
    could reach Taiwan.Fortunately,it didn't.
    Our country and Japan are nice neighbor.There are a lot of things in our live are come from Japan just likeJapan drama, comic book, video play ..etc. I hope Japan could recover soon.

May 30, 2011 at 9:44 am |
  179. Samarth

My dad is into politics and every one of these effect the world around us. The thing that shocked me most the natural disasters many lives were taken. The Japanese earthquake resulted in a huge death toll. I realized all of these because of Carl Azuz and the CNN team. Go CNN!

May 30, 2011 at 10:13 am |
  180. Paju

Puns/Puns

May 30, 2011 at 10:16 am |
  181. Denisha

According to tornadoes and floods, America's in big trouble. You never know when one is coming. But technology helps us. Thanks CNN Student News!

May 30, 2011 at 10:20 am |
  182. Caitlin

I would have to say the Chilean Miners. It was nice to haer that they escaped and still believed.

May 30, 2011 at 10:24 am |
  183. Paige

The Earthquake/tsunami in Japan because if you think of it it's really sad and the people over there just cant get a brake. =(

May 30, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  184. Rachel

osama bin laden's death- by far. it was very memorable, and i was glad that he couldnt do any more terrible things, but i also thought our (americas) reaction was a little immature. ok dont get me wrong, i was happy too, but if u think like those kids our age- there watching the news and some pictures of americans cheering bin laden's death? cheering mecause a middle east man was killed? even though he did pretty nasty things, for us to be celebrating it- that makes us (in my mind) seem quite cruel.

May 30, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  185. theressa

i was one of the many affected my the tornadoes, and it will change my life, as well as many others like me, forever.

May 30, 2011 at 2:41 pm |

ok i know this isn't on the list, but GLOBAL WARMING!!!!! jeez people open your eyes! look at what mankind has been doing! cutting down all the rain forests? destroying all the natural habitat for our stuff? has anyone noticed the haze over the interstates because of our cars? we are hurting our earth more than we probably know and evenyone needs to do something about it- yeah even you. turning off lights, RECYCLING(!!), planting a garden instead of grass, and soooooooo many others. don't blow it- good planets are quite hard to find.

May 30, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  187. Lauren

The death of Osama bin Laden seemed unreal the minute I heard it. After all this time, we finally captured and killed the man who has been wanted for so long. It made the world feel at peace, especially those families who are still suffering over the deaths of their loved ones killed on 9/11. Overall, everyone is happy that this man is now off the earth.

May 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  188. Morgen

The earthquake in Japan was a disaster not just for the people in that country, but for people across the world. When distaster strikes everyone is affected by it in one way or another. The fact that the earthquake took and hurt so many lifes is a sad thing; but there is still light at the end of the tunnnel.

May 30, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  189. Minje

To me, the Japanese Tsunami and Earthquake had the most impact on me. I am a Korean, but I am living in Kobe, Japan. When the earthquake hit, I was in school. Things were falling down, and the room was shaking. People soon got over it, and our school participated in making donations to the more "badly" hit areas.
    Both Korea and Japan have become a part of me, so I know that Japan will soon recover.

May 30, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  190. Lauren

The death of Osama Bin Laden bought so much joy and relief to know the man that hurt and killed so many people had finally died. To me and the people I have talk to, about this subject, are proud to know that our country has become so strong, and got rid of one of the most dangerous men on earth, who has hurt so many people. I’m so, proud of this country and what i has achieved.

May 30, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
  191. Krissy

the tornado disaster in america is sad, many children and adults of all ages above 20 is probably pretty harsh i hope other people can help them fix the houses and make that place happy again.

May 30, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
  192. Catherine

The death of Osama Bin Laden Surprised me. I didn't think they would find him then and there. But my country's victory has excited me. God Bless the USA.

May 30, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  193. Shannon

I would say the Japan Earthquake was the biggest story on CNN Student News. CNN gave the best broadcast about the earthquake. Thanks to CNN I knew in kid terms what was really going on in Japan!

May 30, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
  194. Shannon

The Chilean Miners was a very important story, that CNN covered very well. Day-by-day they gave great reports, and it was great that they dedicated a whole broadcast to the miners.

May 30, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
  195. Briana

i would have to say the earthquake/tsunami in Japan and the tornadoes and floods in America are so sad! Many people lost their lives and their homes and possibly their hope and faith to get back up on their feet. My sympathy goes out to all of the people who suffered from these tragic storms. Some people today in japan are most likely still cleaning up. I would hate to be in a situtation like that. Many belived that the world was going to come to an end and although it didn't it came to an end for us it came to an end for many of the people in Japan and America. : (

May 31, 2011 at 6:58 am |
  196. Briana

As much as I am relived that i wont have to worry about a terrorist attact because of the death of osama binladen, and as much as i am happy for those who lost loved ones in 9/11 that they get justice i don't want to get my hopes high because if they really did kill him why wouldn't the government show pictures and why would they get rid of the body before anyone else could see it?

May 31, 2011 at 7:03 am |
  197. Lauren

i would say the most memorable thing on CNN NEWS would be the Japan earthquake/tsunami because it effected so many people and families not saying 9/11 isn't as important but i mean this is recent but im not saying these people in japan aren't as important but neither event will ever be forgoten.

May 31, 2011 at 7:44 am |
  198. Lydia

When I heard about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan,my friends and I created a little crew called the Donation for Japan.We collected money in our school and the neighborhood.

May 31, 2011 at 7:48 am |
  199. Isaiah

Thank you Carl and the CNN Student News crew for filling us in on the Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan, everything that is going on in the Middle East, the death of Osama bin Laden, the Economy, the Chilean miners that were rescued, and all of the other important stories across the world. You all are AWESOME!

May 31, 2011 at 9:06 am |
  200. Maddie

I think that the Japan earthquake was the worst. I know that i will always have them in my heart hoping that they will get better. I really think that they deserve to have are support in the times to come. GO JAPAN!

May 31, 2011 at 9:19 am |
  201. Nathan

When I heard about the upheavals the Middle East, my first thoughts were the similarities between these revolutions and our country's war of independence. The conflict in Libya bears a striking resemblance to the Revolutionary War and I hope it has a similar outcome, a democracy being established that doesn't devolve into a military led country or a dictatorship. However, I don't believe that the United States should help Libya with actual soldier on the ground. Vietnam has shown us that it doesn't pay to get involved in other people's wars.

May 31, 2011 at 10:06 am |
  202. Paul

When I heard about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, I felt very bad for the people in Japan who lost everything from their houses to their families. At the same time I was thinking about who would help them because we have been helping out other countries ever since Haiti had its earthquake. I believe our country needs to deal with our own country's problems such as helping out New Orleans and the Gulf oil spill.

May 31, 2011 at 10:15 am |
  203. Emelyn

I don't really know what it is like to have your home destroyed by a tornado, but I do know that it it very devestating to loose your family,freinds,and valued memories such as albums and scrapbooks. I agree with what president obama said aswell I will try my best to help those in need. Here's some advice, never give up hope and even though things may look bad keep on trying!!!

May 31, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  204. Meghan

I think the war in Iraq was just VERY VERY bad!On CNN when I saw what was going on I wanted to help!

May 31, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  205. Sho

Japanese earthquake and tsunami is the most shocking in the list partly because I am Japanese. But unreal and frightening videos reporting the disaster told us again that the nature might be beyond our scientific assumption, and the continuing problem of the nuclear power plant made us rethink how to produce electricity. Electricity is maybe essential to us, and increasing needs and decreasing the amount of fossil fuel make this problem difficult. We need to find a new way to live sustainably with electricity as soon as possible.
    Lastly, I would like to thank people in the world for supporting Japan. It really cheered Japanese, I think.

May 31, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  206. Lyndzie

The death of Osama bin Laden.He killed thousands of people.Not only in America,but the men and women in combat.I was so shocked when he died.

May 31, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
  207. Kelly

The miners. I was happy they all got out safely and they survied that long in the mine.

May 31, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  208. Marcello

Bin Ladan died too much of a good death. We should of made him do cummunity service for the res of his life.

May 31, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  209. Angela

It made me sad that the Japanese people had to go through all of that because there homes and clothes got destroyed and it was a sad thing that happened to Japan i wish i could help them

May 31, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  210. elijah

The tornado in Joplin is devastating. I hope America recoveres well and it does not affect are country greatly.

May 31, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  211. Camryn

I think the most serious thing this year was Japan's tsunami and earthquake. The radiation from the plant on top of the extreme damage just left the place in absolute ruins. I mainly think about all of the people who died, and the terror they must have felt when they felt the earthquake and saw the tsunami. Imagine the hospital you were born in destroyed... your home, your things, your loved ones all destroyed, for that matter... pretty sad to think about, right? Put yourself in the shoes of a Japanese citizen and imagine what they went through, what is happening to them now, and what they will go through in the future. This major impact on their lives and their family will most likely always affect them, and I know it will always affect me.

May 31, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
  212. Kadich

I think the prices of gas are OUTRAGEOUS!!! Not even my History teacher makes enough to fill up his tank! Prices need to change ASAP! I got places to go!

May 31, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
  213. Emiliano

When I heard about the death of Osama Bin Ladin I had mixed feeling because of course I was relieved he was gone but personally I think people should never celebrate a death

May 31, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  214. Amanda

It is really too bad about what happened in Joplin. With everyone's support and offerings, our country can help Joplin get through this devastating time. I just wish that it had not happened at all. Even though I live far away, it still impacts me and many others outside of Joplin. We should try to do what we can to help these poor people.I hope that they will have faith that they will get through this tragedy.

May 31, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  215. Amanda

The death of Osama Bin laden is a great victory however the threat of being attacked is not over yet. We still have the rest of Al Quaeda to face (his followers) and we have enemies in other countries. It is the first step to victory over all.

May 31, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  216. Sophia

The news about the tornados and floods was very shocking because all my relatives live in America and I will do my best to raise money for the people that lost their families and homes.

May 31, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
  217. Se Young

When America's economy dropped, I couldn't believe it. How did America have a huge dept? It will be hard for America to recover and pay that huge dept. I hope that America will get back on it's feet. China has the biggest economy in the world so parents are forcing their children to learn chinese. What will happen to America???

May 31, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
  218. Ahissa

I would say the Japan earthquake/tsunami. Olny because my friends and some family lives there. It we real nice to hear that America was going to help even after there economic progress & pain. So many poor people losed there lifes that day, and I'm happy that I didn't know anyone that had there life taken. Thank you so much America we couldn’t have gotten through this without you holding are hand!

May 31, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
  219. Elise

When I heard about the crisis in Egypt, I was really shocked. I learned all about the protests and the massacres going on in the country. It is hard to decide which side you are on, Mubarak won the majority of votes and became the president, Mubarak is not dealing with the situations correctly. The protesters may want Mubarak to step down, but he wont, so they won't steo down either, they have go through the toughest things, that was not neccesary. Same with the Libya uproar. I belive presidential elections are a bad influence on those countries and they only end up with terror, I think it should stop.

May 31, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
  220. Lauren

the rescue of Chilean miners was a very impacting event for me. Every time I heard some updates I was just hoping that all of the miners would be safe. When I first saw that machine they used to get them up on ground I was a bit afraid but after seeing it work I was really confident and I am glad that no one was lost in the prosses.

May 31, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
  221. Mariah

I was devastated when I found out about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. I wanted to know how to help out and thanks to CNN I was able to.

May 31, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
  222. Katie

I think that it was really nice that everyone came together to help each other in times of distress. Like when President Obama went to Joplin, Missouri and talked to the people who were affected by the tornado, offering his support and telling them that they would not leave until everything is back to normal.

June 1, 2011 at 5:37 am |

With all these tornadoes and floods that are happening right now I think that the people that are helping those who are suffering, by helping clean up, giving them food, and helping them try to find loved ones. I have been in a flood, but that is nothing compared to how these people are suffering. I know that there are a lot people praying for those people, I don't pray very often but I'm praying for these people now, praying that they will find their loved ones and that they are okay and that they survive.

June 1, 2011 at 6:44 am |
  224. Christina

Rescue of Chilean Miners: They had to be so scared underground, tramatized. Even though it took awhile at least they are out and safe only little damages.

June 1, 2011 at 7:55 am |
  225. Sandy

I would have to say the tornados and floods in America because we have been getting a lot of those and people are losing homes and family or friends. Its been damaging many places and harming many people too.

June 1, 2011 at 9:33 am |
  226. Koa

I think that the most important story of the school year is the rescue of the Chilean miners. Their story is inspiring and has a very happy ending, something that I wish all news stories could have. This story continues to pass a supportive and hopeful message to the world. Thanks Carl Azuz+The CNN Team!

June 1, 2011 at 9:38 am |
  227. joy

i think these top stories is a sign that we need to do better in our surrounding for the next coming natural disasters. think about ur own safety and ur familia.. DONT go outside and take pictures at the tornado and risk ur life!!!!!AND the other is that we have a great country that is trying to track down that gave us all grief.
    this country will do anything for the safety of our country and will stand tall to the very end.

(at least thats wat i think so )

June 1, 2011 at 9:49 am |
  228. Gabby

when i saw the tornado that had killed the 123 people i was so sad that a tornado can do so much damge to the town and so i i feel bad for those people.and hope they will get to live in a house again.

June 1, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  229. Mona

i think that it's a bag disaster of what's happening in the arab nations.hundreds of people are dying everyday and the dictator kaddafi doesn't want to end it. people should do something with him and the other dictators like mubark too he didn't go to jail yet and they didn't take the money that he stole from his country. they can't just say that he's not the president any more they have to do the same thing as he did to egyptians.

June 1, 2011 at 10:01 am |
  230. Morgan

I think the death of Osama bin Laden was a really huge story and suprising. Many people feel safe now that he's dead and he caused many deaths.

June 1, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  231. Lyndon

I thought it was great to see the Chilean miners rescued. It's always good to see a tragedy have a happy ending.

June 1, 2011 at 11:22 am |
  232. Walter

My reactions to the uprising in the Arab nations is that you can really make a difference when you strive for something importent

June 1, 2011 at 11:27 am |
  233. Shannon

I would have to say... all of them, exept maybe the mid-term elections. Each one of these stories had an impact nationaly, and many, like the death of Osama Bin Laden, had an impact globally. If I had to scose one though, I would chose the death of Bin Laden via the U.S. Navy SEAL's. This event rocked the world.

June 1, 2011 at 11:29 am |
  234. Jasmine

Those tornadoes are just terrible!! I hope everyone will be okay with the help of the U.S. I'll try to help as much as possible.

June 1, 2011 at 11:51 am |
  235. trey

I think the tornadoe in Joplin was devestating and im glad that most of the people there got out alive and that they are ok adn I hope that they get back on there feet.

June 1, 2011 at 11:54 am |
  236. Ashton

the death of osama bin laden was probally the in my opinion, the most important topic of this year(2010-2011). he was responsible for the destruction of the twin towers, which many people died. but when he was shot and killed in the raid gave it relief to all the family members of those who died in the attack, plus it should slow the taliban's military progress.

June 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  237. Adam

I would say for me the Japan's Earthquake/Tsunami was really shocking. Not just because of the damage. I was shocked because of how many people were lost, had died, and might die... This is a sad story.

June 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  238. John

when i first heard about the earthquake in japan,i was watching the news,and i almost started to cry.i felt so bad for the families

June 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  239. Sydney

The Japenese Earthquake/Tsuami was very devestating. I felt super bad for them. I wish I could go there and help them out because i can't imagine how much pain they're going through.

June 1, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  240. Emmaclaire

I think it was the tusnami/earthquake/nueclear disaster because that topic raged on for weeks and weeks with nothing else yin the inning. My class saw the pictures of the before and after views, when i saw a pic of people covering up their noses. It was black and dark and deadly...

June 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  241. Katie

When I heard about the tornades and the floods in the United States.I felt bad for all those peolpe that died, or for people who survived but weren`t found.I was so glad that people survived.I also so how people`s homes were destroyed.

June 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm |

I believe that the biggest impact that has happened this year is the death of osama bin laden. It changed so much and it ment so much to the soilders that have been fighting for years on end and the peoples families that have lost a son or daughter fighting in the war. I am now just hoping the war will end soon so they can send all of our troops home.

June 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  243. Kelsey

Death of Osama bin Laden:

Yes people are safer, but that doesn't mean be happy someones dead. You don't have to cry a river, but don't through a party either.

June 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  244. dhamar

the japan earthquake was very bad i feel bad for all the japan citizen who lost their belongings and even relatives.i think there should be more security like shelters everywhere in each area, neighborhoods for people who do not have shelters of do not have safe home..

June 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  245. Bryce

I think It was appropriate for the U.S. navy seals to not have to tell the government of pakistan that they were going to ambush Osama bin Laden and his other terrorists. The U.S. navy seals were very fortunate to have killed him. Families that have lost friends and family were very joyful. But they will never forget what has happended to the 1000's of people that have died.

June 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  246. marilyn

when I herd about the disaster in japan I was heartboken becuase
    families know they lost people they love.

June 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  247. Amber

It was sad to hear about the disaster in japan. I hope they get all the hope they need until they are better. πŸ™‚

And i feel sorry for the people who died and the people who are hurt hopefully they will try to leave a better life and they will get more help from other people < 3

June 1, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  248. Nahimana

The earthquake and tsunami was heartbreaking, especially with family and friends over there.Bewildered and frightened, my family sent food and supplies.

June 1, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  249. Nahimana

The rescue of Chilean miners rose my sunken heart.It made me thankful because otherwise the loss would had drowned me, the miner's friends, and family in tears.

June 1, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
  250. Tara

Bin Laden deserved to die. He was a horrible person. I was stunned when I heard about 9/11 and I was only 1 when it happen so I hadn't found out until a while into my life. I am shocked because my aunt almost died, my friends father died because he was a fireman. I am just shocked why he would do this its just horrible. And at the end if that day he probably just sat back and said..
    "I am so glad I did that! And I took all the credit to."
    I hope he didn't wonder why he was killed and why his friends would have traded him in for millions of dollars. Why nobody liked him. And When people heard his name they thought in disgust and thought of horrible things to say about him. i am glad he died and didn't meet God. Go away and never come back. *If I had a choice to either jump of a cliff or join him, I would choose the cliff.

June 1, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  251. Jack

With the death of Osama bin Laden, I felt proud to be an American. During tough times and people questioning if invading Afghanistan was necessary, this was great news. Although many lives have been lost and many have been injured, this felt like a victory. I feel nobody ever wins a war, but we got what we went for. Hopefully, our troops will start coming home safe.

June 1, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  252. Griffin

I believe that the United States has eradicated a great threat to our nation. There is also a great revenge factor to Bin Ladens death, we finally killed the man who murdered over 3,000 of our citizens. Not every death is a tragity and I think we have the right to celebrate this one. Celebrating a death is very appropriate when that death is a public service to the world. By killing him we may have saved thousands if innocent people.

June 1, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  253. Angie

The Chilean Miners. Definately. I remember, every time I turn on CNN student news "Please let them be okay, please..." They were inspirational, being such wonderful people and optimist, in the gloomiest of situations. When they rose to the surface, I was literally ginning from ear to ear, and having a celebration in my head.

June 1, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
  254. Isabelle

I was devastated immensely when I heard about the flooding and tornadoes in the southwestern USA. Even though I am on the other side of the continent, every now and then we have tastes of what is feels like to live in the southwest, per say the flooding a couple of years ago or the 104 degree day July 29, 2009. The people have so much to deal with, and with all the support from people across America they should be good in about 10 years. The help and support rallied by the American people in the last few months really pushed me to help out too. This relief effort shows the personality of the US, and how we never give up on ourselves. We have true pride in our nation.

June 2, 2011 at 12:04 am |
  255. Edwin

I think osama bin Ladens death made people feel better but america should still try to stop terrorism so there wont be another nightmare like 9/11 i hope people wouldnt cheer someones death but now one of the most wanted terrorists is dead

June 2, 2011 at 9:48 am |
  256. Wilson

I think that the war in Libya is complete nonsense. War is really pointless right now because we have gas prices rising up to about five dollars.

June 2, 2011 at 10:42 am |
  257. ansell

I think the gas prices are bad. People will go bankrupt. The company needs tp fix the price. I hope the tax will be lowered soon.

June 2, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  258. Nathan

When I saw the Osama story I felt gratitude twords our U.S> armed forces. I also felt relieved for all the 9-11 attack victims and family.

June 2, 2011 at 10:53 am |
  259. Manni

When Osama Bin Laden had died, I felt the USA had made a huge accomplishment. At the same time, I feel proud to be an american and everyone can feel safe once again.

June 2, 2011 at 10:56 am |
  260. Elizabeth

This is what i think of osma bin laudens death I think it is a great step for the us. I dont believe this will end terrisom but i do think this will lead us on the right track to eventually stopping al quieda

June 2, 2011 at 10:57 am |
  261. california

i think the death of osama bin laden beacuse was justice was surved and the u.s can try and move on from the terrible 9/11 attack.

June 2, 2011 at 10:58 am |
  262. Kaitlin

Even though i had heard about the death of Osama Bin Laden before you announced it, it came across as a relief. You gave details about it that i hadn't known about!

June 2, 2011 at 11:02 am |
  263. Dwight

I think that the earthquake and tsunami in Japan was the most important because it effected many peoples lives with things such as radation!

June 2, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  264. Bethany

Japanese earthquake/Tsunami-I think the Japanese earthquake/tsunami is a horrible natural disaster that has caused plenty of destruction in Japan. Along with missing civilians, dead villagers, and the downfall of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, the Japanese people are in an environmental and economic mess. I believe all surrounding countries should support Japan on their road to recovery, and have people not only from Japan, but also from the surrounding countries volunteer and help out. People have done so, but the disaster in Japan is not only a Japanese disaster but a global disaster... I think the whole world needs to support their fellow countries when things like this occur. We're all in this together!

June 2, 2011 at 11:06 am |
  265. Jillian

With the topic "Tornados, floods in America" I think people could help out more. People are still homeless and have no supplies or food. These people need all the help they can get. Yet not that many people are concerned with their issue.

June 2, 2011 at 11:08 am |
  266. Peter

The Japan earthquake frightened me. It probably frightened most people. It was so sudden, and those people in Japan must have been so scared..... I want to thank you for giving me the oppertunity of watching CNN Student News every day, and keeping me posted around the world. What happemed with Japan was a spontanious event, with the power-plant and all, and I wouldn't know as much about it without you! Thank you!

June 2, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  267. Sarah

My reaction to the rescue of the Chilean miners was relief. I was happy that they were reunited with their families and that they all made it out alive.

June 2, 2011 at 11:13 am |
  268. Stewie

I believe that the death of Bin Laden made people baffled. It made me feel that what was going to happen next? I just could'nt believe they had actually found him, it suprised me. I never thought this day would come.

June 2, 2011 at 11:15 am |
  269. mitch

i think the earthquakes is the most devestating thing to happen this year. It has killed many and still, many are missing. I cant imagen to have my hoouse and all of my belongings destroyed.

June 2, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  270. Jasmine

On the bin Laden murder, it has been almost 11 years since the world trade centers went down. Not many of us might remember it, but it's still a big thing to America. It's not a good thing to hurrah a murder- a death is a death,but he was likely to destroy more if he lived on and that's not good either. It's good for the future,but just the leader dying doesn't stop al queda and they might retaliate because of this "victory".

June 2, 2011 at 11:23 am |
  271. Dieter

Death of Osama Bin Laden

When I heard that he died, I was shocked in a positive way since an infamous person that did many things against the United States is dead. Though many cheered about his death, I was content after the surprise since the terrorist leader is gone.

June 2, 2011 at 11:29 am |
  272. Hailey

It's been a important year, and we've came a long way since the begining. I can't belive Osama bin Laden is finaly dead after 10 years of tracking him down. We have over come a lot to get to this point.

June 2, 2011 at 11:31 am |
  273. Hailey

I think the disaster in Japan is really important even though I don't live there, It's good that they're slowly getting back on their feet but It's really sad what they have to go thorough. I wish I could help

June 2, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  274. Sydney

When I heard about the Earthquake/Tsunami in Japan, It was so shocking. I thought it was so sad, to see how many people were left to stay in shelters, but most of all, to see the surprising number of those who passed during the process. I think that the Japan Earthquake/Tsunami had to be the worst disaster in 2011, and I will pray for all that lost their loved ones.

June 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  275. Destiney

I was really shocked when I heard about the terriable Sunami that hit Japan because the people in japan had no where to go because there town was distroyed. I hope they fix this disaster.

June 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  276. Christina

The earthquake/tsunami in japan was very devastating and it was a big event in history and i feel bad for all the victims

June 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  277. Jozeph

The debt of the U.S. is overwhelming so the congress raised the credit card limit. The debt was 14.3 trillion because some americans were being reckless and borrowing too much money from banks. Also they borrow money to do some projects. I think that this is a great idea, but people need to pay their debt immediately.

June 2, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  278. elijah

I am really happy about osamaben laden's death. I am certain that another alcda leader will rise again. I think America should prepare for the next ruler of the Alcida.

June 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  279. Kayeleigh

The Death Of Osama Bin Ladin

Ik its agood thing hes dead but should we really be celebrating this much sure he was really wanted but i think some people have taken it a little overboard. You don't have to cry a river. But you don't have to party either

June 2, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  280. Kayeleigh

The Chilean Miners Rescue

I was so happy when i learned the miners were rescued. I know their families had been waiting a long time for them and i cant imagine how good it was to see them

June 2, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  281. kaleb

when I heard about Japan's Earthquake,I told everyone to start donating.

June 2, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  282. Antoine

The Tsunami and Earthquake disaster in Japan. What a shock. 😦

June 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  283. Nicole

When i heard about the assasination of Osama Bin Laden, i felt relived. I was happy that we finally got the man who was responsible for the deaths of innocent Americans. At the same time i was nervous that maybe people that were close to him would want revenge and hurt our country somehow. http://www.cnn.com/studentnews/

June 2, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  284. jewele

What happen in japan is horribel.President obama needs to seend some troops there to help themand send them over hear as imagrents.And get them jobs and homes.I just feel like we as americins need to stop buying buying and send money over there to help.How would you feel if that was you and your family probaly starving or homless looking for your family mebers not so good.So we as americans need to help japan in this horriable disaster.

June 2, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  285. Maddie

One of the most shocking for me, was the earthquakes in Japan, when I heard about it I E-mailed my pen-pal right away, luckily she didn't have anything to do with the tsunami, but she did get hit by the earthquake, none of her family was injured, which was a huge relief, but her home was destoyed. Thank You CNN for giving us latest and the greatest updates on what's going on all over the world!!

June 2, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
  286. Sami

When i heard about Osama Bin Ladens death I was shocked. Not only was i shocked, i became filled with relief. Osama Bin Laden deserved to die, because he killed over 3000 innocent citizens. Not only was i filled with relief, other families who have lost lives are probably relieved more then any of us. His death was not only a good thing, but a sign of relief.

June 2, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
  287. Terrence

Justice cant bend in the favor of those who did not earn it for too long. Bin Laden ran out of time. If he had not caused the brutal and unecessary death of so many innocent people I would not even find his name familiar. But because of his actions he earned his own exit.

June 2, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  288. Thomas

It's very interesting this idea of no grade levels. It seems to me that it may work as long as the students cooperate and focus on the curriculum and not the fact they are in the class with a second grader when they are in high school. The one flaw i see is that kids may take advantage and only learn the easier things and not try as hard claiming they only learned certain things and should be placed in the easier classes. It is a very unique and inspirational idea and if it works than they should try to encourage other Colorado schools to try out this new method and maybe it will become predominant in the U.S. You never know.

June 2, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
  289. Nolan

Well, I see more bad then I see good I mean I'm thankful that bin laden is dead but i mean mother nature is taking a big toll on us and I don't know how to react to this but I mean I'm happy to have my family still.

June 3, 2011 at 8:40 am |
  290. Ginette

The topic that stands out the most to me is the Japan earthquake/tsunami. That disaster has Japan effected so much lives. It honestly broke my heart to hear all the sad stories and the videos really made me truly understand how bad it was and how it still effects many today

June 3, 2011 at 8:42 am |
  291. Kyle

The death of Bin Ladin was what I think was the biggest event because all of the people who died and the people on those three planes in 9\11 were scared to death when they saw they were heading straight for the twin towers and the pentagon. The Navy SEALS did not just save America from more attacks ,but the entire planet. When I heard he died I was so happy and sad too.All the people who died was so heart breaking and only from 1 person's planning.That still does not mean we stopped terrorism, but we decreased the chance of more attacks. But the people who died on 9/11 and just the bombing, will still be in everyone's memory.

June 3, 2011 at 8:52 am |
  292. Dylan

I think the biggest one was Osama bin Laden's death. I think that because he was the one who destroyed the Twin Towers in the U.S. Also he was the one who killed millions of innocent citizens in the explosion. We have been chasing him for years and they finally got Osama bin Laden. Look how it would feel if you were one of the people who died by the Twin Towers. Also maybe a person you new was in the Twin Towers during the destruction. So I will always remember this great moment in my life from the fantastic death of Osama bin Laden.

June 3, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  293. Michael

I think the most important one was Osama BinLaden,s death.He caused the deaths of thousands of innocent people, destroyed many important places, and changed many familys forever. His death weakened the Taliban, and they are most likely very weak at the moment because they're probably trying to pick a new leader. New York City, New York was absolutely devastated after 911, it caused chaos and fear, and it destroyed Ground Zero. Although they are rebuilding the Twin Towers, I don't think America will ever be the same.His death lightened the hearts of many people, and made some people feel much safer.However, I think America needs to be very careful, because I believe that the Taliban will seek revenge, and another 911 would unimaginable. I think that the military needs to act against the Taliban now because they could be very weak at the moment.

June 3, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  294. michael

I think the most imporant was the death of Osama bin Landen . Because on 9-11 he killed thousands of people for no reason.I really feel bad for all men,women,and children killed on 9-11.My uncle's friend was also killed on 9-11. I am happy that Osama bin Laden is dead, but sad for all people that died on 9-11-01.

June 3, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  295. Katelyn

it think it sad to heard that tornados are killing so many lifes and destorying sooooo many people homes

June 3, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
  296. Jade

I think that we should try to find ways to help everyone around the world all through their situations even though everyone is having trouble now.

June 4, 2011 at 11:28 am |
  297. Asher

I think the worst thing was the upheaval in the middle east because if all the middle east is fighting millions of people are dying .It is still going on .But the worst is libya .Many people are fighting in libya . Even other countries are getting involved like America and France.

June 4, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  298. Laurn

when i heard about the tornato down south and the disadters in Japan i felt so sorry for the families that had lived through that. I wanted to do something that could help but i couldn't. THANKS CNN STUDENT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2011 at 8:37 am |
  299. Sele

I cannot believe that so many heartbreaking disasters could happen in one year

June 5, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  300. yusuke

I'm a Japanese student. But I'm not one of the victims. I'm now thinking that all I have to do is study hader because I'm a high school student. And my favorite subject is English. I want to convey our gratitude to many people who have cheered Japan from all over the world by using English. Thank you with all my heart.

June 6, 2011 at 6:01 am |
  301. Caleb

I liked almost all the stories. But one i heard most was probebly the protest in alll the other conteries. Like Egypt or Lybia.

June 6, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  302. Elisa

~My reaction to the death of Osama Bin Laden was basically what and wow!!! I was in shock and disbelief. I was unsure that he was really dead, but now am believing it. And another thing: Why does he get respected like that by getting a death out to sea????? Let's remember people he was in charge of murdering thousands of AMERICANS!!!!!! Why, why and why???????????? THAT was in the top for the most CRAZY things I have heard in my LIFE!!!~

June 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  303. Max

I really think that death of Osama bin Laden would make the world more peaceful. I read about the 911 terror, and thought about people who lost their families and love...
    I believe that this would give Al Queda some threat.

June 7, 2011 at 8:40 am |
  304. Kyanne

I thought the chilean miner story was a BIG relife for all of us.My classmates and I {and our teacher} were all on the edge of our seats untill we heard that they all got out safely.Thank you for a wonderful year of episodes Carl and everybody!I'll be watching for you on my computer over the summer!BYEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 7, 2011 at 9:41 am |
  305. Neethu

i dont know if i could just survive a disaster like the earthquake in japan or the u.s. natural disasters. i would never be able to move on and start all over. however, i still pray that nothing like that ever happens here.

June 7, 2011 at 10:59 am |
  306. jeremiah

when i herd that Osama Bin Laden was killed i was happy that he could not hurt anyone els, but it still did not make up for what he did in the past.

June 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  307. Hide

I live in Japan. We all Japanese are grateful for many support and concerns for earthquake/tsunami and radioactive issues from all over the world. On the other hand, few Japanese are interested in stories in abroad because most Japanese media provide quite few contents about them. CNN student news teaches me that there are many stories we should know and make some actions for them.

June 7, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
  308. carnan

I think biggest story this year eartquake in Japan because Δ±t showed everybody how people get together and well prepared this diseaster..also killing bin laden started new phase of war beetwen taliban and U.S.I hope from now on all this bad news is not going to happen again...

June 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  309. Eimi

I am really upset about the earthquake/tsunami in japan. My family is originally from japan but thankfully, my relatives are safe. I have so much I want to do to help others struggling to survive this horrible event, but I don't think none of them will be enough. Things may return to normal, but the hearts of people who lost family, will probably never be the same.

June 11, 2011 at 12:35 am |
  310. Tiffany

All of these articles are amazing. Osama is dead, floods, earthquakes, and wars. Some stuff is sad, and some is happy.

June 12, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  311. yuhei

Even if summer vacation, we have a lot of things to do. So i am studying.
    But i plan to go somewhere to break.

June 12, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  312. jordan

bin ladin may be dead but justice for all those dead innocent people will never served. (R.I.P)

June 17, 2011 at 8:39 am |
  313. Austin

I was glad when Osama Bin Laden was dead because i had a relative that died in the attack. And I would like to say R.I.P for a of the people that died

June 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  314. Austin

I think that the Tsunami/Earthquake in Japan was devastating. It will be hard to recover from that. I hope that every body that is hurt will be okay and everybody that is lost will be found. And for those who have past away R.I.P

June 27, 2011 at 9:59 am |
  315. robert

the one that i think that was the most importiant was the death of osama bin laden. The reseaon (miss spelled) why is because he was incharge of the 9/11 attack and many us people died (R.I.P for people that died in 9/11) he killed many people over the year and he needed to die now

June 29, 2011 at 10:18 pm |