May 24th, 2011

You Break It, You Buy It

A school district in Florida is considering fining student athletes for cases of unsportsmanlike conduct.  Under this plan, losing your temper on the field or court could translate into $200 out of your wallet.  Some believe that a stricter conduct policy would be a good thing and could clean up the games.  Others argue the punishment doesn’t fit the crime, and it could lead to some students being unfairly kicked off the team when they’re unable to pay.  What do you think?  Where’s the line when it comes to crossing the line?

Jeremy Dunn, CNNSN Producer

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Halley

Losing your temper at the referees, coaches, or other players is certainly annoying. However, I don't believe that this constitutes a fine, which would probably show up on your record. Instead of a fine, I think there should be some punishment that doesn't involve the government or the state. Perhaps being suspended from the rest of the game, and some other upcoming games (depending on the severity of your conduct), would be a more fitting punishment.

May 24, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  2. Tyrone

I think that it is very unfair to charge $200 just for unsportsmanlike conduct! A more fair punishment would be that you get a green flag your first warning, a yellow flag your second, and a red flag your third time-red meaning that you are off the team for the season. This way the players and coaches have more warning and have time to calm down. Also, paying $200 would anger the people more.

May 24, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  3. Haley

I think that making the athletes pay for unsportsmanlike conduct is going way to far. While I think every athlete should display good sportsmanship, making them pay is not the answer! Make them sit out a game or something.

May 24, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  4. Kayeleigh

I think thats a little much. If their not being sportsmanlike sit them out of a game or somthing like that but $200 is just plain ridiculous.

May 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  5. Caitlinn

They should not be fining people for unsportsmanlike conduct. People are already struggling to make a living now and adding a $200 fine will just make things worse.

May 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  6. Nathan

I believe that coaches should already be taking disciplinary measures towards kids who are unsportsmanlike. It seems to me that the highest punishment should be suspending the players and that the fine is going too far.

May 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  7. Shea

I think that if players just lose their temper a little bit it's fine. But my brother used to play football, and he would get mad and like jump or stomp on the field, but fining for it is just too much!

May 24, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  8. Daydreeona

I think it would show kids that in the world its not all fun in games when it comes down to browing something. Also it teaches some responsibilityin how lifes going to be after we turn 18.

May 24, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  9. Nyayaang

It's not fair to fine fine them because they loose their adittude. The coach should of know that they would of lost their temper. their for the player should be suspended and the couch should be punished by the princapal.

May 24, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  10. paige

I think its kind ok weird because there fining there own students and its not fair. So they are crossing the line BIG TIME.

May 24, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  11. Stephen

I thinkk that you shouldn't be fined for that. I mean that if it is real bad they just be kicked off the team not fined $200

May 24, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  12. Stephen

I think that you shouldn't be fined for that. I mean that if it is real bad they just be kicked off the team not fined $200

May 24, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  13. Julia

It's not fair. Student athletes don't have $200, which leaves the charges on their parents. The school should look for less harsher punishments.

May 24, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  14. Krista

I think that athletes should be fined for unsportsman-like behavior because it would prevent fights, insults, and hurt-feelings by issuing that if athletes choose to behave in an unsportsman-like manner, they should LEARN from their fines. I think that this would lead to less violent games and matches, and will lighten up such violent sports.

May 24, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  15. Louis

I think its not fair because $200 is alot of money for just losing your temper but if its that bad well just kick them off of the team and for a miner punishment.

May 24, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  16. Jasmine

It's sad, but I'm glad they're doing it. This teaches them sportmanship and to consider the other teams feeling.

May 24, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  17. Navkaran

I hope they will learn from the fines but they should give the fines based on their income. If a child's parents only make $2,000, it is hard for him to pay the fine, and another student's family makes $10,000 or more it is a lot easier to pay the fines.

May 24, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  18. shyanne

I think that many people have very bad sportsmanship and unfortunetly we have to come to payment because corpral punishment is now consideredd inattiquit.

May 24, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
  19. Miracle

I think this fine is very nessary so athletes can good sportmanship, learn the importance of it and how it can have a negative effect on them.

May 24, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  20. Navkaran

I love the idea because it will teach the students good sportsmanship which will help them throughout their life. I do hope no one has to pay the fine.

May 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  21. Lauren

i believe that yes, when bad behavior is done throughout a sport they should get a sturn talk or a punishment like laps but, it would be unfair to pay money. Expecially, if some are not able to pay. I believe a school would only do that if they were only in a money crunch and didn't care how they got it.

May 24, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
  22. Tanner

No matter what sport you play, it seems like there is always arguing with the ref. This idea will help that, but you shouldn't pay money. Especially not 200$. What if you can't afford that? You shouldn't have to pay money. Just punish them by suspension.

May 24, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
  23. Nancy

I think thats a really good idea because then the athletics wont throw their equipment down and don't care what they are doing to it. its also good for them to learn how to take care of things for later in life and now. its also good sportsmanship for them.

May 24, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
  24. Navkaran

Why don't they just give them detention what my school does is we have a PR system.What that means is we get a pr point for every bad thing we do. If you get 25 in a section of time we miss out of a huge party.

May 24, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
  25. Kaitlyn

I do not think that is fair considering some families are having a hard time paying bills month to month and may not be able to pay the fee. A different way of punishment might be better like getting benched for a game.

May 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
  26. Charity

I think that this is a good way to show students that they are responsible for their actions, and that someone else won't just clean up the mess. If athletes want to stay on the team, they will have to learn how to control their temper. I think more schools should adopt this idea. On the other hand, some students don't have the money to pay for their actions.

May 24, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
  27. kitzia

i think it is a good idea because if you break you have to pay it like if it was 10$ you will have to buy and and it will cost you a lot and i think if you break something you will have to pay it like a book from school you will have to pay i think it is true

May 24, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  28. Anonymous

I don't believe that the district in Florida shouldn't fine students for unsportsman like conduct because many students can't pay for their fines. I believe that their should be a fair punishment that everyone can serve.

May 24, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
  29. Jalen

A fine is never necessary for a student that has lost their mind on the field or court. You could either give them a out of school suspension or a detention..

May 24, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
  30. Aj

This is a cool idea from school officials and I think that it will help players to not lose their heat in a game. $200 dollars is a lot and if players can't keep their cool, they will learn a great lesson for the future.

May 24, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  31. Le

It would be fair if you let the student off with a warning,and next time if they do it again then you can charge them. But it's not very fair for the schools eiether because your wasting money of the school if you vandalize school property because the school has to pay for new ones.

May 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  32. Sarah

I think that it is a pretty good idea. This will teach players about good sportsmanship. And good sportsmanship will help them throughout life. Although, I think that it is a good idea, I hope that no one will have to pay the fine.

May 24, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  33. eleanor

you should fine them if people use un sports men like attitudes the sport will get lost and ther will be just fighting.

May 24, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  34. Joselyn

This rule would be a step in the right direction, however bringing money into the equation changes everything. There should be some punishment such as missing practice or a game. Considering that some coaches are bias, it is unfair to have to pay a fine without further regulations.

May 24, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  35. Bethany

I don't think that there should be a fine, but rather, the student should be kicked off the team immediately for exemplifying unacceptable sportsmanship. Having the highest score is not as important as having the highest ethicality, so not even the most prestigious members should be exempt from this rule.

May 24, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  36. Morgan

I say no because when players are in the game they are usually focused on the game. If somebody hits or jabs them the wrong way they might perform a rude action ,but that's not because they are bad or disrespectful its because they are serious and in the game. They are not thinking rationally; they are focused on the game. They should not have a fine when they aren't really being their selves.

May 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  37. Brandy

To me it seems like unsportsmanlike conduct, to a limit, is all apart of the game. Especially in hands on sports like football or basketball, people getting angry is all apart of the experience. Though things may go overboard, coaches or referees should make the initial judgement on taking them out of the game! Fining athletes $200 is crazy, especially when it already costs so much to play!

May 24, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
  38. Kylee

I agree that bad sportsmanship is annoying, rude, and not pleasant whatsoever, but i do not agree that there should be a fine. Maybe someone doesn't make very much money. If their child has constant bad sportsmanship, they may run into an economic crisis. I think that instead of a fine, players should be given a limited amount of warnings, and then kicked off the team.

May 24, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
  39. Regenald

I am a sports player, and I know first-hand that bad sportsmanship is not pleasant. However, I also know that sometimes, its hard not to argue, if the ref makes a bad call. I do think it is necessary to enforce a fine, but for the first offense, i believe that the fine should be small, and slowly rise. $200 dollars is a little much for accidentally tripping someone.

May 24, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
  40. Marcos

Sure, bad sport conduct fines do teach valuble lessons on anger managment, sportsmanship, and responsibilites. Plus larger fines are given to professionals, but still professionals get paid thousands even millions of dollars. Students sometimes have to pay for extra equipment. I'm pretty sure not all parents have an extra $200 in there pockets. If this happened during school you'd just suspend them not charge them. My point is, just give them laundry duty for a month or demand for 200 push-ups, so you don't punish their parents.

May 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
  41. Erik

I think thats a little too serious too soon. If a player starts acting up, they shouldn't get fined, only a warning, if they do it again, team suspension. If they still cause trouble then by all means fine the idiot who wont quit losing their temper.

May 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
  42. Rachel

I don't like the idea at all. If you have to pay a fine just for being unsportsman like but don't have the money, that could lead to some serious problems. If you are poor and dont have the money to go to college and can't get a sports scholarship, you might not be able to get very far in the future. One problem that won't matter a week from now shouldn't be treated this largely.

May 24, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
  43. Kahn

i know kids get out of control on the fields and on the court but paying $200 dollar for getting mad is not going to solve the problem. the only way the problem will be solve is went his or her coach take him or her of the court or field and ask not to repeat the same thing if it dont work tell him he will not play the game that is coming up and so on

May 24, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
  44. Juliette

In my opinion, I think that $200 is a huge amount of money for Unsportsmanship and there should be a smaller fee or no fee should be given at all.

May 24, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
  45. Maddy

Okay so I support the fine idea but only after two things. One: the fine is lowered and two: the fine is only implimented after each players third offence. If a player racks up 10ish unsportsmanlike conduct calls per season they should be banned from the sport, even if players are good they souldn't be getting scholarships if they are unsportsmanlike or violent, if players wish to continue with their sport to higher levels then they will have to learn to be "clean." And parents, if they are being unsportsmanlike they obviously do not deserve a scholarship.

May 24, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
  46. Maddy

They could also give community service hours instead.

May 24, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
  47. Jessica

I think that the fines in sports are a good idea because with the fines, players will be able to learn from their mistakes and try not to make the same mistake again and they could do it all without facing even more serious consequences.

May 24, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
  48. Jack

I think that this fine is very fair. If a player is so unsportsmanlike that they get kicked out of a game for it, they do not deserve to play at all. If you are a mean person then you should not be allowed to play a school sport.

May 24, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
  49. alice

I do not like the idea because if a student's family is poor, they might not be able to pay the fine. A better punishment would be to suspend the student from the next match instead of a fine.

May 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  50. Matthew

Well really Unsportsmanlike will be part of the game the reason why is becuase someone will try to get in your head and its your job to play the game and do what you have to do to win

May 24, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  51. Mishelle

Well, I think that it will teach students a lesson. Play "politely" or don't play at all. It is as simple as that. Nothing will be changed if there is no enforcment.

May 24, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  52. chase

i think that it is a good idea but i dont like how the player can be booted off the team. i think that the player should have a three strikes your out policy instead of imediate fines

May 24, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  53. Marissa

I think that yes players should know not to cross the line with temper problems and try to control it because it's part of the rules and you signed up knowing you have to follow these rules but i think that it's not that fair because at times we can't control our emotions it gets to the best of us were all humans who make mistakes. Some familys don't have money like that to pay. They put there children in sports that way they could get a scholarship to go to college.

May 25, 2011 at 12:01 am |
  54. Will

This idea is set to cultivate the athlete's inner virtue.Every contest always has winner and loser. However , the only victory is enjoy the moment itself.Even the judgement is unfair ,a great sportsmen would do their best to proove their ability. Not to lose thier temper on the divine field.So, I agree on this idea.

May 25, 2011 at 12:41 am |
  55. Kincaid

Usually, I watch sports from the sidelines. But, as an avid fan I really think that having this large of a fine is rather unjust and unfair form of corporal punishment, as sometimes unsportsmanlike conduct can be interpreted in different ways. All I think this will lead to is angry students and parents.

May 25, 2011 at 1:56 am |
  56. Sophie

I think making students pay for bad behavior is not right, students would want to quit there future career.

May 25, 2011 at 4:54 am |
  57. Finn

I think there is another better way to learn about how to keep your temper rather than fining you $200, such as forbidding from attending next game etc. Weighing up this unsportsmanlike conduct in money is not good for teenagers.

May 25, 2011 at 5:44 am |
  58. Kate

Ultimately the coach is responsible for taking action and punishing players for acting out. A fine is just going to make matters worse–and in most cases parents will be forking out the money not the athlete.

May 25, 2011 at 6:37 am |
  59. Isabelle

I think it would be a great idea and show kids that it is a standard to show sportsmanship. I think they mostly get it from watching other and older kids do it so they think its alright for them to do it.

May 25, 2011 at 7:21 am |
  60. max

I think that the fine should be payed on what you do, instead of paying $200 for a little thing. If the players would realize what the punishment is, they wouldn't start the fight or argument. If they do something bad and have to pay the fine, that would leave the school bad pubicidy.

May 25, 2011 at 7:37 am |
  61. Brittany

I think they should punish players more severly than they do now but i dont think they should fine players. Fining players really only punishes the parents because most kids dont have $200 to pay a fine.

May 25, 2011 at 8:38 am |
  62. Karianna

The concept is certainly understandable. I like the idea, but the fine should be lower, with students paying for gas and all.

May 25, 2011 at 8:49 am |
  63. Zach

Fining a player $200 for unsportsmanlike conduct is taking it way to far! The game is fine the way it is and not everybody can pay a fine. The economy is bad enough without the fines and if a kid gets fined and can't pay it and he only plays the one sport then it is unfair to him. If a kid loses his head during a game then the coach should just pull him until he calms down. A 15 yard penalty is good enough.

May 25, 2011 at 9:02 am |
  64. rhodes

May 25, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  65. Lauren

I don't think that they should make the student pay for losing their temper on the field or court. Instead they should ban them for awhile from playing that sport, and I think that banning them would help the players not to do it again. Making them pay money would probably just get more angry.

May 25, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  66. Estefania

There has been many bad sportsmanship but I don't think they should charge $200 I think they should fine the student depending on what they did.

May 25, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  67. Jacob

i think that a 200$ for poor sportsmenship is a good thing because that would messed up if someone tryed to hurt from the crowd

May 25, 2011 at 9:09 am |
  68. Alyssa

i don't think they should charge students for having a temper , they should kick them outta the game and suspend them for a game or two , but , no , i don't think they should charge them or kick them off the team . However , if it takes more then two suspensions , then they should kick them off the team . Otherwise , they shouldn't jump to conclusions and automatically kick them off the team .

May 25, 2011 at 9:09 am |
  69. Savannah

I think its unfair to charge $200 for losing your temper! I think they should of gave him a warning- you sit out the rest of the game, then give the player 2 more chances and if they still loose their temper, they get kicked off!!

May 25, 2011 at 9:10 am |
  70. Mia

I don't think that they have to pay $200 and it should be less. Also they should not be kicked off if they can't pay. If the don't mean to hurt the person then they should pay like $30 but if they mean't to do it they should have to pay the full cost of the injury. But if they really mean it besides the paying for injury cost they should have to miss a game. That would help teach them not to throw a fit and not to take thier anger out on somebody else.

May 25, 2011 at 9:10 am |
  71. meahnna

i think it is fair in some ways like if they got hurt really badly
    and i think it is not fair because losing temper out on feild its just not fair and sometimes they dont even mean it just comes over them

May 25, 2011 at 9:11 am |
  72. rhodes

i think it is agood thing there doing this because it can help students control therre anger. it will also teach students good sportsmanship. i hope everyone does not have to pay the fine and controls there anger. i do however think they shouldn't fine them 200 dollars. i think they should fine the person around 10 dollars though.

May 25, 2011 at 9:12 am |
  73. Emily

i think that they should be able to pay the fine , but at the same time what if the parents don't have the money to pay for something like that ? well , oh well . it's not something for others to deal or to pay for . they need to pay themselvs , their fault , they pay . and besides , when they wanna do something like that like a certain sport or something they should have the money to pay for their son/daughter's accident. when they wanna play that sport , they need to figure out that they need to make sure they have the money because you can't always rely on the person who did it .

May 25, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  74. jackson

i do not agree with this dicision if you sign up for a sport you sign up for all that goes with. besides there is usualy an expensive fee to play for a team for your school, it would not be necessary to have to pay more fees throuout the season.

May 25, 2011 at 9:15 am |
  75. CJ

In my opinion I think its only right to fine them if they try to fight them to hurt them. If the player just commits a bad penalty just kick them out of then game dont fine them for it.

May 25, 2011 at 9:15 am |
  76. ashley

i think its a good thing that it teaches sportsmanship but not really fair that they have to pay that cause if they dont have any money who pays for it??? their parents

May 25, 2011 at 9:16 am |
  77. caleb

i think that there going to fare there should not be a fine what if it wasent on purpose. i think they should just say sorry...

May 25, 2011 at 9:17 am |
  78. Hannah

I think that this is only a little bit fair. Having to pay for unsportsmanlike conduct is fair because everyone should play sports with a good attitiude because if you are mad or rude and you don't follow the rules of the game, then you could hurt someone! Everyone makes mistakes though and I don't think that this would be a good idea because if you mees up, how will the referees tell if your behavior was a mistake, or if it was done on purpose. I can see this new rule in the future making our sports teams worse and filled with rich kids who can do whatever they want and afford to pay the $200 fine. This would take all of our good, well conducted athletes and dump them out of the sport that they love! Some good athletes are poor and if they were to have an off day or to make a mistake, then they are gone!! Where would the sports world and all of it's fans be then? I think that this rule should not be in place.

May 25, 2011 at 9:17 am |
  79. Wayne

This is a great idea. Sportsmanship should be the number one reason for playing in High School sports. Thsi will not interfere with scholarships or playing time if you do not committ the penalty. Society has to learn that there are consequences for your actions.

May 25, 2011 at 9:21 am |
  80. Isaiah

If people lose their tempers, they deserve punishment, but not a $200 fine. If someone can't afford to pay that fine, they shouldn't be kicked off of the team. What if it was a future hall of famer, and thet were dismissed from a team because thet couldn't afford a $200 fine?

May 25, 2011 at 9:30 am |
  81. Sheila

I think its pretty said when school has to threaten to fine sports players for unsportsmanlike conduct. I know first hand that getting mad out on the court or field can make you want to play angry or harder to win. Especially if the other team is taunting you because you loosing.Don't let it go to your head take a moment to calm yourself down. I don't think that by fining a player $200 is going to do anything. If you kick them of the team or suspend them then the message might get across better.

May 25, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  82. Baker

I think that it is a good idea to make people pay fines, because it will teach Players a lesson that they will never forget and hopefully have some sportsmanship after.

May 25, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  83. Maddie

I think it wouldn't clean up games. If it does, then the teams are under too much pressure. And like that parent said, it might affect sports scholarships and future opportunities.

May 25, 2011 at 9:40 am |
  84. Raz

I think the find is suitable. However maybe they could lower the find to 100. It will give the players a better chance of staying on the team. Plus it will teach them a lesson. If they cant pay for 100 then that is when you kick them off the team.

May 25, 2011 at 9:44 am |
  85. dragon

I think you should get fined, but only in extreme situations, like cursing or fighting on the field.

May 25, 2011 at 9:45 am |
  86. Keys

I think fining kids is a good idea. They have to learn how to play the sport their playing the right way. Joakim Noah just got fined 50K just for saying something let alone hitting someone. Asante Samuel was fined for hitting someone helmet to helmet. This is not a joke, it's serious. Kids have to pay attention o stay safe.

May 25, 2011 at 9:46 am |
  87. Anner

i think thats is a bad idea because everone at some pont get angry and if they were figned they would get kiked off the team which could be detrimental to the team and there corere.

May 25, 2011 at 9:46 am |
  88. twitch

i think fining players in High school is pointless. When they can't pay off the fine then get kicked off the team then they loose a college scholarship to college or loose the chance to get one.

May 25, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  89. Sammy

It just doesn't work for students to be fined for unsportsmanlike conduct; you already already lose some yards on the field, that might anger fellow teamates and that's enough discipline for any high school football player not to repeat his actions. Pro football players get a steady income from the game and can fairly easily pay the fine, but high school football players have a MUCH less income from other occupations. A fine is not the way to go, just suspend them from the game or something less harsh.

May 25, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  90. Jasmin

I think it is wrong to fine players of "unsportsman-like" behavior. If done, sponsorships will be reduced, and people who have just enough money to pay might not be able to continue paying bills or might go into debt. It isn't a good thing AT ALL, they should just give a suspension.

May 25, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  91. Margo

I think that is unfair to kids trying to get a scholarship and trying to get some where in life. All kids deserve to go to college and not get a fine for something they did'nt mean to do. Iget that it is for safety reasons and not judt for fun but I don't think it would clean up the game because kids are still going to do it on accident.

May 25, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  92. Tim

May 25, 2011 at 10:03 am |
  93. John

i Think they should not fine the student athletes because if the parent or parents don't have the money then the student would get kicked off the team

May 25, 2011 at 10:03 am |
  94. Kayla

I dont think charging them $200 is going to help a all. Some of the fans should be held accountable for there actions too, some of the fans are worse then the players.

May 25, 2011 at 10:03 am |
  95. Grace

Sportsmanship is a great quality to have. If you don't have good sportsmanship, I understand their view on punishing the students. I don't believe it should go as far as money. If they do go to the extreme measures of fining the athletes, it shows the students how serious they really are.

*****If you do get kicked off the team, your unsportsmanship will only
    get worse!*********

What good could that do? As an athlete myself, if you don't show good sportsmanship on my soccer team, people will just think "Wow....okay.....well that person has some anger issues!" Overall, I belive in punishing the students if the unsportsmanship get to a severe level....but money as a punishment is just going to far! Some students may be the team's STAR athlete, but have anger issues. I don't think the whole team should suffer from someone's actions. I think the coaches should first talk to their athletes on the team about considering this. The students need to shape up, or ship out! Consulting a wrong doing shouldn't result in a fine. In my household, if I do something wrong, I get grounded. I think instead of a fine, athletes should be banned from the team for a short amount of time. That way, they can think about what they have done. Where would the money go to anyways?? If they do have to pay a fine, it should go to the team.

*****I think this situation should be addressed as a "3 Strikes and your Out" rule!

May 25, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  96. Caleb

Paying a fine would be alright as long as it is affordable.Some kids are great and sports and just a little rough.Some people can't afford high fines , but could have a great shot at a college scholarship.

May 25, 2011 at 10:32 am |
  97. john

that is totally crossing the line so what if the players have a bad break we all are going to mess up we shouldn't get fined for it

May 25, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  98. clark

I dont think there should be a fine because as a soccer player if you do loose your temper on the field certain things that are legal in the game that let you take out your frustration. For instance you can kick the ball some what harder when You are angry or frustrated

May 25, 2011 at 10:41 am |
  99. Alex

I thnk it is vary fair to take the money from the players the get mad and hurt some bodie becuse thay not suposto hurt some one els

May 25, 2011 at 10:43 am |
  100. Megan

I think that they should just sit the player out instead of fining them cause it could ruin there sports career or dreams of being something big.

May 25, 2011 at 10:44 am |
  101. delaney

I don't believe that this constitutes a fine, which would probably show up on your record. Instead of a fine, I think there should be some punishment that doesn't involve the government or the state. Perhaps being suspended from the rest of the game. Only fine them if thay are beating each other since less

May 25, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  102. Kat

I think that it is a bad idea because if the student that got fined can't pay $200 they are going to get kicked off the team and that would ruin there chance to get a scholarship.

May 25, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  103. Waleel

I LIKE THE IDEA because good sportmanship is good for players. the rules are fair. if you break the rules, you pay the consequences.

May 25, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  104. kitty

I think it's not I good idea because if they get a fine and they don't pay it then they get kicked off then the fans might get into fits and start stuff. Also that would affect their scholarship.

May 25, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  105. Dean

I think it is a FINE idea. It is good practice to learn to be respectful in life and It will help off the field. People should learn this skill now so they don't have to learn it when they are older.

May 25, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  106. tyler

i think that idea is fine because it will teach students to have good sportsman ship so they wouldn't have to get kicked off they would just have to pay what they did

May 25, 2011 at 10:50 am |
  107. zach

i do not think it is right to fine players. they want to play a sport when they payed a lot of money to play that sport. and they don't have the extra money to pay a fine and they get kicked off the team.

May 25, 2011 at 10:51 am |
  108. Alie

I think that athelets should not be fined, but they should pay more atention to the fans because the fans are a lot wears then the athelets.

May 25, 2011 at 10:51 am |
  109. Spear Class

Chasity says that cussing is bad because you shouldn't say those dirty words.

Travis doesn't think you should be fined. He doesn't think you should get kicked off the team. Set 'em on the bench. If they like to play, that's enough.

Hannah says you shouldn't cuss at people. She says people should be nice.

Blair thinks we should ignore them.

May 25, 2011 at 10:51 am |
  110. Mason M.

I think that fines are a good idea. Many injury's can be prevented if the players do not want to be fined. The fine size should differ according to the type off penalty. Things like accidents should not be fined. However some rude players deserve to be fined.

May 25, 2011 at 10:57 am |
  111. Marcello

I agree with the idea of fining student athletes because it will teach students to become better players and people. Plus it will make each game feel more positive and fun.

May 25, 2011 at 10:59 am |
  112. Ms. Watson's Class

We don't think it would be fair to fine players for unsportsmanlike conduct because everyone has words that slip out and everyone makes mistakes at times. Taking a "time-out," such as for a game or two, would be a better punishment. That way, a player wouldn't get kicked off the team if they couldn't pay and would have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes. Repeat offenders could then be fined, and kicked off the team if they refused to pay. There is no reason for continuously acting unsportsmanlike.

May 25, 2011 at 11:00 am |
  113. allie

If they must pay a fine for a conduct and they cant supply the money then they might get kicked of the team which will ruin future oppurtunities and scholarships

May 25, 2011 at 11:00 am |
  114. Sierra

No, I don't think players showing unsportsmen like
    behaviors should be fined because, if they do something wrong
    the coach can kick that person off that football team. They shouldn't have to pay $200 dollars just for cussing.

May 25, 2011 at 11:11 am |
  115. PIERRE

YES I do think players showing unsportsman like behavior should be fined because they should'nt have done what they did on the field. They would not have to pay 200$ if they didn't. thats their fault they fought or did something unsportsman like.

May 25, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  116. Summer

No Idon't think players showing unsportman like behaviors should be fined becuase you have to o a lot of stuff . Iwould not pay 200 dollars becuase I would just get off the the team and go to another team because thats a lot of money to spend on nothing. I can keep that money for my self.

May 25, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  117. Sierra

I don't think someone should have to pay money for a loss of temper. What if someone is on the team by scholarship because they don't have enough money to pay for it first of all? Not being able to pay $200 for one mistake shouldn't result in not being able to play on the team anymore. You could lose a valuable player, someone who worked really hard to get on the team, or someone who doesn't have a lot of money in the first place.

May 25, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  118. Shinuku

If this happens what will happen to these student playing even if they make one mistake? What would happen if they make one mistake? People make mistakes, but this one will hurt all the student that play, they will lose intrest.

May 25, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  119. Fabiana

Well...
    I believe that getting a fine for Unsportsmanship is pretty extreme but it will also teach students to respect their team mates and coaches during every game they play.

May 25, 2011 at 11:23 am |
  120. rafael

No,I don't think players showing unsportsman
    like behaniavs should be fined because they should not
    be paying that much just for a little fight. I know they are trying
    to make the sport a better thing, but not that way

May 25, 2011 at 11:24 am |
  121. Crystal

I think that the idea would be great. It would show them that if you join a sport you should always behave with good sportsmanship with others. If they joined this sport it was because they enjoyed it, and they shouldn't be letting everybody get them into more trouble.

May 25, 2011 at 11:25 am |
  122. Evan

There's just no reason that the players should be fined. they just get a foul in whatever sport there playing. It's just plain stupid.

May 25, 2011 at 11:25 am |
  123. thalian

I think its a good thing to do that so they can learn there leason. theres no need to use profanity during the game. or lossing there tempor just cause he did one thing wrong.

May 25, 2011 at 11:30 am |
  124. Ladarrius

I think there should be consequences. They should be kicked off the team. I think they should pay for they actions. I do think they should apologize. I think they shouldn't go to the games.

May 25, 2011 at 11:33 am |
  125. Matin

No I dont think players should be fined for unsportsman like
    behavior because it is too much money. They should just
    get the penalty.

May 25, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  126. Kameron

Yes,I do think players showing unsportsmenship like behaviors should be fined because you get mad just because your losing and their winning It does not matter if you win or lose it's how you play the game That is what matters

May 25, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  127. Ryan

I think the fine is fair. Playing sports is supposed to be just for fun. When you get too emotionally involved in the game and you do anything it takes to win, you should be penalized. If you get angry that your team did not score and you interfere with a coach, player, or referee, then you should pay the fine.

May 25, 2011 at 11:47 am |
  128. Grayson

No player deserves to not be able to play if they cannot afford the fine. A more appropriate response might be a penalty or a one-game suspension. A fine is too severe and it might mean that a player wouldn't be able to play at all for one mistake.

May 25, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  129. Jennifer

If there is a definite line, and only those who are over the top when being a bad sport (ie interfering with the game when a fight breaks out) are fined vs. those just being aggressive, which is not only welcomed, but expected as an athlete...then I agree that this is a fine idea. (no pun intended, Carl!)

May 25, 2011 at 11:52 am |
  130. William

A fine is inappropriate. The player should just be benched for a few games. A $200 fine is too severe for getting out of control just one time. It would be a big waste of your life if you got kicked off the team just because you couldn't afford to play.

May 25, 2011 at 11:52 am |
  131. Haley

I think that charging a player for being a poor sport is a bad idea. Instead, you could just bench a player for a game. If the district decides to fine a player, another plan needs to be figured out for those who cannot pay besides kicking them off the team. Maybe they could perform community service to work off the $200 or they could be kicked off for a week or two rather than the whole season.

May 25, 2011 at 11:55 am |
  132. Caiden

A fine would only be appropriate in extreme cases of unsportsmanlike conduct. It really depends on the severity of the infraction.

May 25, 2011 at 11:57 am |
  133. Grayson

The is wherd becus what if the prosor dos not have the money for fine waat's gona hapin if they amid not pay the fine.

May 25, 2011 at 11:58 am |
  134. Sadie

I think it's not fair because you can put the player on the bench for a game. A fine, and possibly being kicked off the team, would be a waste of your money and time.

May 25, 2011 at 11:59 am |
  135. Chloe

I think you should get a warning the first time then if you do it again you could sit on the bench. And if they do it again just sit them out for the rest of the game and half of the next game. Most players would have learned their lesson. It's like three strikes and you're out. If they continue to break the rules, you can kick them off the team for two weeks. It could really ruin a player's future and maybe you can charge them something like $50.

May 25, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  136. Grace

Everyone can learn from their mistakes by receiving a suitable punishment, but $200 is quite some money. I think this is a good idea to decrease uses of profanity and rude actions, but this is also a great idea for classroom use. It would encourage students to speak in an appropriate language and would have a huge impact on bullying. Teachers could use this method, but the money part is a bit extreme! I think that the athletes should have a "2 Strikes And You're Out!" rule so they each have a warning.

🙂

May 25, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  137. Kain

I think having to pay for unsportsmanlike conduct is absurd! Sometimes athletes get a little over-heated. It's all in the name of the game though. Forcing a child to pay money is completely unacceptable and is unjust. This is just another way schools can earn money and it isn't fair to the student or the parents.

May 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
  138. Grayson

It's not fair for the player because their families might not be able to afford the fine. A more appropriate punishment might be a one game suspension.

May 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
  139. Brominator

I think it is BOGIS. Yes while Unsportsmanlike conduct is unacceptable, I don't think a fine is necessary. Some might not be able to pay it, and they're out, and that could really lose several opportunities in the future.

May 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
  140. Chandler

It is not fair. $200 is too much of a fine for getting angry at a referee or coach. They should just suspend them for a few games not forever. Everyone deserves a second chance.

May 25, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  141. Shih-Wei

It's a nice way to stop the unsportmanship. I think that it may also be a good idea to help athletics to avoid injuring during the game. For instance, in basketball field, if the competitor pulls you down when you are jumping, it may hurts you or results in a fight. We definitely like the competitive game, but do not want to see a......boxing in basketball field.

May 25, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
  142. Maverick

I think they should pay because they have no business cursing or playing unfair.

May 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  143. Frances

I see that unsportsmanlike product really can mess up the games, but I still think that this policy does not fit with the punishment. Sport and money are just different concepts. Thus, the players know that breaking the rule is wrong anyway. I don't think that paying money can help them control their sudden tempers.

May 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  144. Smith's class

Most of our class agrees that high school athletes should not pay fines, but should lose privileges as in being suspended for a few games. If they have to pay money, it will probably be the parents that will have to pay because most high school students do not have money of their own. The student should feel the consequence, not the parents.

May 25, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
  145. Alec

i find this rule not very smart. they already have penalties and if you get called for unsportsmanlike conduct, most likely you get thrown out of the game

May 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
  146. jenah

I think it is a good idea to charge student for fighting during a game. If they were going to fight in the real world then they could get sued or go to jail and if you give them a taste of the punishment, maybe they will learn the consequences of fighting and not do it out of high school. If a student cant pay then they should have to do community service work around the school to make up for it. If they decide not to do that then that's when you kick a player of the team.

May 25, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  147. brebre

you can lose alot of things like your parents and friends and your coach and lose a holl family and friends and you will let your team mates down and they will not let you down if you think about it then we can see if we can help with $ 200 dollers for flordo.

May 25, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  148. Peyton

I think this fining is unfair, Just because a student looses their temper, doesn't mean they should have to pay a fine. People work hard to earn money, so they shouldn't have it tooken away so easily. We are all human, and we all make mistakes, so no one should be fined.

May 25, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  149. Peyton

I think this fining is unfair, Just because a student looses their temper, doesn't mean they should have to pay a fine. People work hard to earn money, so they shouldn't have it taken away so easily. We are all human, and we all make mistakes, so no one should be fined.

May 25, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  150. Ali

I think instead of fining players they should sit out the next game. I don't think it is fair if they are from a low-income family that they are fined because they will not be able to pay for their bad behavior. Community service might teach them how to behave better.

May 25, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
  151. Skyler

Why should we reward and encourage bad behavior? If they are jerks on the field, they don't deserve scholarships or even to play. Isn't sportsmanship the name of the game really?

May 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
  152. leona

i think that if you play unsportsmanlike games you should not have to pay $200 just for not playing right. you might pay $50 or something but not $200.

May 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
  153. Rabia

i think thats wrong because a lot of people are just really competitive, and showing ANGER, is just an emotion. most of us don't have control over our ANGER, therefore shouldn't be fined,it will just cause more of an out rage, as a team we should be able to put up with it because the field is where they burn there anger.

May 25, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  154. taylor

they should not fine kids when they act out of line because kids do not make that kind of money.

May 25, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  155. Amber

I dislke this idea. Why would someone pay a fine if they act bad? It is a fine that people would hate to pay. Just because someone acted bad or hurt someone they shouldnt have to pay the fine. In football it is common for people to get hurt just think about all the football players who have hurt someone paying a fine for it. The people who collected the money would be rich.

May 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
  156. Justin

Im not personallly a fan of sports, but even i think that rule is stupid. some people have scholarships that they work all their high school career on and if they break some equipment like the last week of the season and they cant pay it, they wasted the 4 years of high school trying to get into collage.

May 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
  157. TJ

i like the idea to teach the kids good sportsmanship.

May 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
  158. Callie

kids shouldn't throw a tantrum and be unsportsmanlike, but a fine isn't the solution. instead, kick them off the team, or ban them from coming back! if you intentionally hurt someone and they are seriously injured, then make them pay for the hospital bill and kick them out, but fining will not work.

May 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  159. Jeremy

They shoould have this because then people could learn to control their temper and show people that it is wrong to fight or injure somebody.

May 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  160. Josh

Losing your temper on the feild or court is unaceptable even if th eplayer htinks he is being unfairly refereed

May 25, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
  161. jimmy

really good idea

May 25, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
  162. Jared

Lossing your temper on the field is not the thing to do but it happens when it dose you should get a penatly but not fined money.
    I've had my share of personal fouls on purpose but that's just the sport.

May 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  163. ivan

I THINK IT'S A GREAT IDEA BECAUSE WHEN I PLAY BASTBALL
    EVERYONE AWAYS GAT CLOSE

May 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
  164. Sarah

Of course anyone who inflicted the injury on another person should be fined. No matter what the reason, no one should EVER inflict pain on another person. My dad is an EMT and he has told me that the only reason to hurt someone else is out of self defense. Don't do things you have to be sorry for.

May 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
  165. Emily

I think that the punishment should be getting kicked out of a couple games or just getting punished at school. If a player is being a bad sport and hurts someone, then they deserve to sit on the bench the rest of the game (and maybe the next according to how bad they were acting).

May 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
  166. Chad

I think that it is kind of a good idea and a bad idea also because it makes players to be aware if the consequences of their actions beforehand but if they do lose their temper, it would be bad to lose all of their money due to their actions, and probably even food money and grocery money and stuff like that.

May 25, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  167. william

I think that this is right because its no need for this nonsense

May 25, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  168. Matt

The idea is great

May 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  169. Tea

I think that people who lost their temper would get kicked off the team other than paying the price because that is stupid just to pay the price and staying on the team. What if they lose their temper again? I would do both and pay the price AND get kicked off the team.

May 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  170. amber

i think that this is a very neat thing because a person who may not think that they are the right person for it and just see the results and they might just be the right person for it alls they have to do is put some effort to it they they can maybe be a perfect person for the job.

May 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  171. Madeline

i dont think this is a good idea. they shouldnt have to pay because alot of people dont have the extra money right now. there is better punishments they could use instead

May 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  172. Kaylee

if i was swimming at my swim meet and someone kicked me or something in the water and broke my nose or anything then i would be really mad and make them help pay for my taxes and if they didnt then i would sue them.

May 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  173. bianca

i think this is a good idea but only if it was on perpose then that would be perfect idea but still depending if there was an injury and it cost alot of money then the person who caused it should have to pay half of the money .

May 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  174. Abby

this is a good way to tell kids the that really need to CALM DOWN . all though some students might think that it's not right they should get fined because they just got out of control. i think you should only fine the child if they GOT HURT. if they didn't just give them after school detention or something to make up the consaques.

May 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  175. Oxana

I think the people should pay on certian things should be paid like if it is a really bad injury then yes they should pay if it's not that bad then no they don't have to pay.

May 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  176. Miguel

I think that it's a bad idea why would you pay for loosing your temper , they should leave them out for the rest of the game or give them a red card but not make them pay $200 if there is serious damage done that they have to go to the hospital then they should pay some if who ever did it did it on purpose.

May 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  177. matthew

At the point its bad and some point its ok,but to me its wrong because ive push a guy on the basketball court because,he tackled me on the court ,nd i had to pay the price and thats more of his foult as much as mine and if i get fined for it that dosent make sence to me,but you shouldent lose your pemper out on the feild or basketball court and you can learn from youe past and be better the next time.

May 25, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  178. Sara

Well I think that if you mean to hurt someone than ya you need to pay some how someway!!!! But if they get hurt and that person didn't mean to hurt them then they don't have to pay unless the just fell bad and want to help. No one should lose their temper physically but can mentally but has no right to hurt someone because they were mad.

May 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
  179. Emily

Most of these games involve physical contact, so fining them $200 just for tackling someone roughly in football, is just plain silly.

May 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
  180. Jonathan

NFL Lockout

May 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
  181. DJ

I hate the idea because some parents will make the kids pay and if they cant pay even if they are good players they will still be kicked off the team Ijust dont see the point

May 25, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  182. chase

it's a good thing it will teach player to play by the rules

May 25, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  183. zoe

I think it's pretty fair to make the people that break the rules to pay a fine. You do the crime you take the punishment

May 25, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  184. victor

I think kids should not get fines because

May 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  185. Dianna

I think that students shouldn't have to pay a fine, because if they can't pay it and they get kicked off the team for one mistake, that would be unfair. I think there should at least be a rule like three strikes and you're out.

May 25, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  186. victor

I think kids should not get fines because it will stop scholarships

May 25, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  187. Lilly

Ithink fining is unresnaple. Some kids are hoping to be a sports player and want a sports scolership, they cannot do that with out playing sports

May 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  188. Katie

It is not a good idea to fine the players because if they can not pay for it they could get kicked off the team. That whould not be fair to the team if the person gets kicked off because it could hurt the team. I think the player should not be able to play for 4 games.

May 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  189. Kenny

I think kids SHOULD NOT get fined, because it is unfair for kids to get fined. Kids could learn to have better sportsmanship. Instead of getting fined, they could get a little punishment, maybe a little more homework.

May 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  190. drew

I think it is un fare because it cud be an axudint. That would be un fare plare could really like the sport.

May 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  191. Emmy

I think it's fair because you did something wrong and they deserve a fair punishment. They also should be kicked off of the team because they were unfair to a teamate.

May 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  192. Meghan

I think that fineing althletes for misconduct is a good idea because being violent for not getting your way is going to far. If you don't want to get fined, don't purposly hurt people.

May 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  193. Sally

No because it could ruin your chances of being a good athlete just because you did one thing wrong.

May 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  194. JOE

I THINK KIDS SHOUD GET FIND BECAUSE IF THEY HURT SOME ONE THEY HAVE TO PAY IT WOULD BE NOT FAIR IF YOU DON'T PAY

May 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  195. Anderw

I think it is not fair becaus they need the money for college

May 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  196. tia

goodsportsman is a good reference for most athletes and if you break the sports code then you should defianlty pay a fine.

May 25, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  197. guy

I think that this is a very unfair fine not all students that get fined could possibly have purposly done it if they can't pay the money they could get kicked off the team witch could lead to a loss in a great collarship where they could either miss a good education or have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for college. If they want a fine then they should make it twenty five or fifty dollars

May 25, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  198. Bubbles

This is not fair yah, I understand a bit of a punishment but a fine is to far you could miss out college and oppertunities that's were I put my foot down. But you did do wrong but two wrongs don't make a right does it? Maybe I should sleep on it maybe Florida's right?

May 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  199. Maria

i think it is unfair that kids have to pay for unsportsmanlike conduct kids make mastakes we all do if we had to pay for every mistake then we would bein dept its oly fair for the kid to be punished they should not have to pay

May 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  200. Jake

I think they should give the player a warning first then if they show temper again then they should suspend the player for 3 games and for the 3rd time they should kick out the player but there should not be a fine for it.

May 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  201. Cindy and Gwyn

I don't really like the idea for you to pay the fine if you do something wrong on the field because some people just can't control it. Also some people don't have that money to pay so I think it's unfair. But if they do lose their temper on the field you just a tell them to sit out somewhere for a moment until they calmed down a little. So that way they don't have to pay for anything.

May 25, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  202. Rutta

NO I DONT THINK IS A GOOD IDEA. THE PARENTS MIT NOT HAVE MONEY TO PAY FRO IT . ITS NOT FAR TO THE OTHER KIDS.

May 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  203. Megan & alex

If you are talented at something practice to get better. If you make one little mistake your off the team. What the heck who does that!!!!!!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  204. marquise

Its a bad Idea because if you fine the players they wont be able to pay the fine..If they get kicked of the team thats going to mess up their college offers. the schools in florida should just go back to the regular system.

May 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  205. AJ & Shawn

I disagree because the school buys the equipment. Also just because we break it we dont have to buy it because put alot of effort into the game because they are not responsible.???

May 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  206. travis

I think its going to affect the players by to many players getting mad at the other players and the ref.Also i don't think its a good idea because they should stick with the regular thing they do.

May 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  207. Brenddoll

I think they should be fining people because they would be learning about being a good sport about what would help them get throughout a good life for now when they have a life.

May 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  208. Megan

I do agree that losing your temper and doing things you wouldn't normally do is very unconsidered for but you shouldn't have to get a fine for it. If you can't pay then you might have to be forced to stop doing something you enjoy. Being forced to do something you don't want to is horrible. Final line, this isn't a good idea.

May 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  209. jessica

Personally I think it is a very bad idea. People that pay sports some times don't have enough money to pay for fines. Then adults aren't going to have there kids play sports. Do it for professional sport because they have enough money to pay for that. Fines for kids because of a penalty is not okay,money does not grow on trees.

May 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  210. andrea

I don't think its a good idea because people should have to pay just for getting in to a fight. that happened people are going to fight their high in school people need to stop complaing .

May 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  211. sabreena

No, you should not loose your temper and have to pay a $200 dallors out of your wallet its dumb if you have to pay just because you loosed your temper i not saying you should loose your temper and throw a big fit but, you shouldn't have to pay thats dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  212. Kyle and Mason

I like the idea because it will be able to teach a lot more students at good sportsmanship and that will help them at having good sportsmanship when they are older if they play any sport with other people so it teaches them how to play fair and not hurt any other people when you are playing a type of sport. But I don't think you should pay $200 because someone could make you mad and you could have to pay $200 dollars when its their fault.

May 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  213. robert

i think that is not right to fine players. refs already take players out of the game for penalties they should not fine them to. some of the kids our on low income and can not pay fines because their parents do not make a lot of money a month. on the other hand players fight a lot in games because they want to win. by giving players fines that will most likely stop them from fighting.

May 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  214. Brian,Matt

I think it is unfair because what if they mess up the field it is not fair that you would have to pay a $200 dollar fine.

May 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  215. Joseph & Tyler

Joseph- I know unsportsmanlike conduct is wrong but I think you shouldn't pay for it because it would make football less violent.

May 25, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  216. cindy

i love the idea because it shows that we care about athletes and their ability to play. if an athlete gets kicked off a team for inablility to pay the fine, then they shouldnt have performed bad sportsmanship in the first place.

May 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  217. dravon

i think its bad that people are being unsportsmenly but they should have another punishement like sitting out the rest of the game

May 25, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  218. Zach

I think it is bad because it can hurt athlete's lives if they get kicked off.

May 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  219. Nadav

I believe it is not necessary to fine someone for bad sportsman ship, but if they do something bad on the field or something like that, they should just put you "on a bench" for some time.

May 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  220. Dominic

fineing the players for bad sportsmenship is a good idea but they should lower the price for those who cant pay due to lack of income but has great skill at the game

May 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  221. Sheenah

I think fines are not fine at all. It's the parents who have to pay the fines and they didn't even do it. Also, a kid could get fined for a bad call or an accident.

May 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  222. Emma

I think if you are unsportsman like then you aren't even worthy having on the team! So, yeah, if you are unsportsmanlike then you should get fined!

May 25, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  223. lauren

I think it would not be fair to the players because some people may say things or do things they dont really mean so i think they should just get a punishment like not playing a game instead of paying a fine.

May 25, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  224. Hayley

I think they don't need to pay a fine because if you didn't mean to do it then theres no need to. But you should take some time of the team but there would be no reason to pay a fine.

May 25, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  225. Marvin

I believe that this would be un fair to many athletes because they may not be able to pay also what if an athlete doesnt mean to show unsportsmanlike conduct but accidentally does because they loose their cool then what are they supposed to do?

May 25, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  226. Kalin

I think that punnishing players for unsportsmanlike conduct is a fair thing to do but i think the punishment proposed is too harsh. Kids need to learn that its wrong to not be a good sport but fining them a large sum of money that their parents will end up paying is not the way to go. Kicking them off the team isn't right either because this age of kids are going through lots of changes and won't always be able to control their temper. So, they might make a mistake and it'll end up ruining their athletic career. One last thing, a lot of kids on sports teams join sports to keep them out of trouble, if they get kicked off they can end up causing more harm than if they had just accepted a smaller punishment.

May 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  227. Abby

I think it is very unfair to charge people for something as small as unsportsmanship, because some people may not be able to control there happiness or anger. So making those students pay money is unethical and unneccessary.

May 25, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  228. Dyson

I believe the student fine is unfair. Students don't get paid to play the sport, and everyone has a legitimate reason to be angry. They should just give warnings and if it comes down take the player out of the game

May 25, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  229. Rania

I think that fining players for unsportsmanlike conduct is a good thing, but unfair. It's unfair to not get at least a warning. I think that you could give punishment for unsportsmanlike conduct but in a less harsh way or give them smaller punishments before reaching that fine. That way the athlete could learn their lesson, but still be able to play and have fun.

May 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  230. Maya

I think that they should not have to pay. Because they may have said it by addcident. also some people say things in the moment of the game.

May 25, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  231. Joelle

this policy is unfair becuase sometimes in the heat of the moment you get caught up in the game and you say things you dont mean

May 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  232. javonte

i think the shows cool and ill keep waching the news also i agree with the ahtletic stuff

May 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  233. Ben

I think that students should not have to pay a fine for unsportsmanlike conduct. Sometimes, a word slips out that you didn't mean to say, or someone is talking trash to you and the referee doesnt hear so you say something back. You might get cought, yet someone doing the same thing gets off with nothing.

May 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  234. Jake

I think the idea will make players think twice before they lose their cool. Mouthing off at the ref is not the best idea because it could lose the game for you and your school might not be so happy about it.

May 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  235. Kumar

I think that the idea of fining unpaid athletes is terrible for multiple reasons, the first reason is, the referee may want to kick the player out of the game but not necessarly fine the player too. Thier are different levels of unsportsmanlike conduct but almost all of them resualt in ejaculation. Also many athelete's families cannot afford a fine like that and are planning to get a scolarship for college, and getting kicked off a team will almost certainly ruin that.

May 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  236. patricio

I think that's not fair because some people might have problems getting money and playing sports might be the only dream they have.

May 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  237. Samantha

I think that it is a good idea but sometimes its the fans that cause this. Also if you fine someone it will make them learn there lesson and then maybe stop. So to me this is a reasonable punishment.

May 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  238. karen

I think that athletes should be fined for unsportsman-like behavior because it would prevent fights, insults, and hurt-feelings by issuing that if athletes choose to behave and that if they are going to give them tickets why don't they give some to there fans because they are the one who are making the player to those things.

May 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  239. Samantha

I don't think this is a good idea because things do accidentally slip out, though some people do it on purpose. Part of it could be the fans' fault, plus it's unfair that if the player cant pay, that they get kicked off the team because some people really don't have the money.

May 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  240. Sabrina

I think that it's fine to fine them, but sometimes its the parents, fans, and coaches that make this happen. So therefore if you fine the player you should also fine the parents if they were getting all mad at the player for not doing good, the fans for fighting over it which causes pressure on the two or more players that caused the argument, and the coaches if they did something or said something to the players to pressure them to do anything to make them do a good job.

May 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  241. Christo

Maybe its not the person thats playing maybe its the coach or the fans because sometimes they say inappropriate things and i don't like the idea because maybe they do it accidentally.

May 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  242. Jamie

I agree with both sides. Yes, you should fine the players for having unsportsmanlike conduct because it's their own fault that they do/did something bad to another player because they were angry. No because I think $200 is way to much of a fine for something like that. Maybe $50 or $75, but I think it depends what they do and that will have a certain cost.

May 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  243. Obseqious

I think that its a bad idea for them to charge athletes for unsportsmanlike conduct. When you are in a game, you don't really think about what your doing besides the sport. You do and say things you may not really mean. I do think that it has gotten out of hand the past few years but this would be outrageous.

May 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  244. binhad

i think that that it is fare but the mostly its the fans fault because there putting pressure on the player and causing them to hit the other players harder then they usually would.

May 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  245. Isis

I think it is, but it's not always the players it's sometimes the fans maybe fans should get a fine if they behave the way they shouldn't behave. Personally that is my true opinion.

May 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  246. Kayla

I think that charging $200 for unsportsmanlike conduct could help. I don't think they should charge right away but after they have been causing it for a long period of time that this would help. You also have to take in consideration the coaches and fans can be worse then the players a lot of the times so they should also be find.

May 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  247. Michael

I think it is not always the players. It's sometimes the coaches or the fans. The players should be fined unless they really do something bad on the field.

May 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  248. Araceli

I think its fine to fine them $200 dollars. But they should also look at the coaches and the fans and the families. It is not right for them to yell at the other players because, the other player wouldn't listen that's not right. That person is taking his anger out on that one person.

May 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  249. Joey

I think that the players should be fined if they show signs of violence, not jumping up and down or yelling 'WOO HEW' If they did fight, the fine should be lowered to about 30 or 40 dollars.

May 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  250. Milo

Yes there should be this rule. Just like the saying if you can't do the time then don't do the crime. But in this case it is if you cant pay the fine then don't do the crime.

May 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  251. Gus

All sports have their own etiquette. For example, Hockey has people known as "enforcers". However, at the high school level, there should be penalties. We need to be responsible for our actions.

May 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  252. Joshua☺

I think that they should not fine them for unsportsmanlike conduct. The are in school so they do not usually have $200 and they are still learning and cannot be held accountable for there slipups.

May 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  253. juan

i think it would it's a good idea but only if the fans and coaches have to pay as well and if someone fights they should pay fields are not boxing octagon

May 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  254. Jovan

I think that sometimes the coaches or the fans should be partly fined in this outtake. This is caused by fighting of fans & unnecessary yelling. But I most of all think that good sportsmanship is agreeable to many, and could possibly teach the athlete or athletes of this with the fine. Still, I hope that no one will have to pay the fine.

May 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  255. Nicole

Athletes should not be charged the$200 because it is the parents who pay the fine. Most of the athletes who display this behavior will not be influenced to show good sportsmanship since the fine does not affect them directly.

May 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  256. jonnythan

I think its the worst idea ever because most is not ment to hurt people it is all just part of the the game. Also the fee can stop them from doing well or getting a scholorship for collage. Plus sometimes people are already having a hard time with money these days. So that is what I think about it.

May 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  257. Nicholas

This idea is ridiculous, and I think it will interfere with scholarships based on sports. Plus, if they begin to fine school students, they'd actually be fining the parents. They'll be the one's who end up paying anyways. They fine pro players because they make money for playing, school students don't get paid. There's a big difference there.

May 25, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  258. Lucas

I think that they should fine them for unsportsmanlike conduct. They have either started a fight or potential hurt or did hurt another player. The student needs to be held accountable for that.

May 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  259. Joshua

I think they should

May 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  260. Sam

I think that the threat of a fine will scare most athletes out of serious penalties. Although I think a 200 dollar fine is too much. It should be more like 50 because most students cannot afford a 200 dollar fine. That would lead to thier parents paying it at best, and them quiting the team at worst. A 50 dollar fine would likely lead to the athlete paying the fine. I dont think this bill is a good call and I dont think the athletes would be fine with it.

May 25, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  261. bailey

i think its unfair the economy is really bad and that would of course help kids be more sportmanship like but does not help familys who have to pay.

May 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  262. Katie

Not everyOne likes watchin fights. I think they should starting fineing kids who do fight. If their scholarships are ruined, that's their problem. They shouldn't be on a professional sports team or represent their school, league, or collage with a bad attitude. Its not very sportsman like to start a fight over a bad call. All they have to do is control their anger and everythin will be fine.

May 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  263. Kyle

Fining someone for something like that is wrong. Most of the time people might do it for a second, so that shouldn't matter. They should only be fined if they start to freak out and attack someone. That seems more logical.

May 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
  264. maria

i thik that the $200 money fine is unesseasary you could jst give the person a punshiment that has nothing to do with money .

May 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  265. Marena

It's not right to fine students for unsporstmanlike conduct in a game. Even though this may be the way it is in the real world, schools shouldn't have the power to take money away from students because they were traveling or for physical contact. It's only a game, and a penalty should be enough punishment for that.

May 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  266. Tyler

I don't a good idea. Sometimes accidents happen, someone shouldn't be punished for something that happened on an accident.

May 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  267. Andrew

I think it is a good thing.

May 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  268. Kyle

$200 is way to much. If the students get fined for unsportsmanlike conduct, then the parents and coaches should get fined or mis behaving as well.

May 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  269. Seth

i think that it is unfair

May 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  270. mario

i think it is not okay because they might be happy so the would cheer

May 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  271. Mark

i think this isn't fair because what happens if people in he stadium and coaches starts losing temper get a fine yes or no

May 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  272. Christian

I think that this is a bad idea because if they cant afford the ticket and they accidently got the penalty then they just got kicked off the team for no reason.

May 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  273. Myranda

I think it is very fair but coaches and parents who act the same way they should get fined to. On the other hand the fines shouldn't be a lot so some students can still afford the fine.

May 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  274. Carly

I don't think making them pay is the answer, because if you can't pay the fine you will get kicked off the team. You should make them sit out or something.

May 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  275. KG

i think that this would be a good idea... because it could encourage them and may be even teach them not to be not sportsmanship like.

May 25, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  276. Rachel

I think that 200 dollars is a little much for this crisis. I think 10% of 200 would be better because if you don't have 200 dollars or a scholarship you wont have a good future ahead of you.

May 25, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  277. Jose

I think is bad because the coaches also are rode and they also they yield at there students to do better so they do better but they get cought doing bad stuff like hitting people

May 25, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  278. Tianna

I think that they should have to fine but not that much because some of the kids wouldn't be able to pay the fine. Fans in the stands and the parent in the bleachers, and coaches are just as crazy as the kids so i think they should have to pay a fine to for crossing the line...

May 25, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  279. Jacen

I think that if you have unsportsmanship like conduct to other players or the coach you should sit out the game. If you are fined some parents will remove their children from the activity because they might not be able to afford it.

May 25, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  280. Ethan

i don't think it's fair. If the kids are trying to get a scholarship and don't have the money it ruins their chances of trying to be a pro sports player.

May 25, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  281. Brock

The School has the right idea, but should review some portions of the fines

May 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  282. Austin

I think that a sport is not supposed to be fined because the player loses his/her temper. I also think that it is good to have a good sportsmanship. It should be like baseball and if you have three strikes, your out!

May 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  283. Joey

I think they should fine the players because it will teach the students how to not get in to fights.

May 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  284. Summer

I think it is wrong.Some people join a team to have fun not to buy things they break. They do not need to do that it is unfair.

May 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  285. Austin

THere is no reason for a high school athelete to get fined just for unsportsminlike conduct it is a part of the game

May 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  286. Roland

I dont think they sould be fined because some people rely on sports to get into colledge. Also some families just cant aford to pay a fine for there child to get and unsportsman like conduct.

May 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  287. Blake

Not all families can aford to pay for a fine of 200 dollors for unsportman like conduct. I would think they would be saving for their child to go to colledge. That is why this is unfair.

May 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  288. Julio

It will teach people good sportmanship, but it wont teach everyone.
    If someone does get a fine, it will maybe ruin their chance of getting into pro. I like the idea but at the same time I dont.

May 25, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  289. Rashenne

I think that it is unfair to do this. People lose thier temper especially teens... they just need to get over the fact that this is happening. If a student loses thier temper don't let them play next game, that simple. Having this as a penalty will get students unfairly kicked off the team.

May 25, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  290. Macy

i think that it is unfair to students. the price of gas and store foods and more are getting to expensive if this is added people may go broke or worse.

May 25, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  291. Erin

They shouldn't fine players for being over competative. Sure, it's not right to hurt someone during a game, but accidents happen. Maybe, if this is a continuous thing from one player they could be kicked off the team for awhile, but not forever. Besides, it is so wrong to make a player pay money for an accident.

May 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  292. Trey

i think that high school athletes should not be fined for unsportsmanlike conduct. This may ruin future sports careers. The athletes are still young and are happy when they make a big play.

May 25, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  293. Logan

Like some people may say, if you get the fine and can't pay it, it could ruin your chances to play for college. But if you are an athlete you shouldn't be taunting in the first place.

May 25, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  294. Cassie & Cassy

Fining could improve the conduct of players. Players of any sport should know that sportsmanship is of the highest quality. If you're not going to follow the rules, then why are you even playing?

May 25, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  295. Rebekah

I think that there should be stricter punishments for players who loose their temper, however I don't believe that the punishment should involve a lot of money from the player. 200 dollars seems like is a little harsh. Some players' families are struggling with finances and the extra 200 dollars may be too much to pay. Something more reasonable like 30 dollars and a weeks suspension would still punish the player but not with a huge amount of money.

May 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  296. Gabrielle

Yes but no because yes there are alot of unsportsmanlike conduct but if you cant pay the ticket being kicked off the team may ruin a collage scholarship and a good collage. Yet you should get maybe just a penity but not a ticket. You may have not done something right on the play or movement to get an unsportsmanlike conduct but not that bad to have to get kicked off the team.

May 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  297. Sarah

I don't think that they should get fined for an unsportsmanlike conduct. They should get suspended from the team because some families cannot afford anything like that to happen. It would just be unfair.

May 25, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  298. Lily

I think that overall the idea has potential, but this also makes room for mistakes, such as thinking that a person was trying to be violent when it was just an accident.

May 25, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  299. Jillian

I think that it is right.Sportmanship is one of the most important rules and if you break it you should be punished.

May 25, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  300. Chase

Maybe Coaches and owners of the league should be more worried about stopping the violence. But a wealthy fine for a unsportsmanlike conduct.
    or possibly it just the players can take no more heat!

May 25, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  301. Sierra

The School shouldn't fine players just for getting into the game. It could ruin chances for a good college or athletic career if the player has on their records that they got kicked off of their own team for bad sportsmanship. If the player that got pentalized and kicked off the team was one of the best players on the team, then tha could hurt the team's chances of winning for for the rest of the season.

May 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  302. Jason

I think this is not a good idea because it could ruin opportunities for people that have talent in a sport. NFL players get fined up to $50,000 for doing an illegal hit. Now if you fine a high school football player for such a hit, they probably didn't know it even existed or cant afford it because they are not millionaires yet unlike a professional football player. What if its an accident? Like throwing a baseball and hitting the player by "accident." Are you still going to charge them$200. Bottom line is i play plenty sports and accidents happen, people have their days, and they shouldn't bother trying to do this. It is unfair.

May 25, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  303. Jamie

I agree with it because there’s so much unsportsmanlike conduct out there and the punishments that they have for it don't faze people because there not strict enough to stop it.

May 25, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  304. Victoria

I totally think that bad sportsmanship is wrong,but fining, that's going a little too far.

May 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  305. CIRT

I think that its a bad idea because if the kids family cant afford it and the kid is the best players the team, the team will loose, and when they loose less people go so less money the school gets from tickets, food, and dinks.

May 25, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  306. Elijah

I do not agree with this at all. I am a football player and I do plan on playing highschool football and due to these circumstances people like me who plan on participating in high school athletics they probably are not going to even consider playing anymore. I am just not sure how you can fine students for making mistakes because this is not a college or professional sports ascosiation.

May 25, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  307. Annie

The students aren't the problems. The coaches are the ones using foul language, and the players are just picking it up from the coaches because the coach allows them to say these things. Making players pay fines for something the coach is allowing is dumb.

May 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  308. Sasha

I see why schools want to do it. I hate the feeling of when people brag right in your face and do victory dances in your face.

May 25, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  309. Elijah

Due to the fact that some parents are not very wealthy i do not think that kids will be happy about bringing a 200$ fine for being a competitive athlete. It is also stupid that if they do not pay that fine within a certain time period they can be scratched off the team's roster. I would understand a small time suspension but a long term suspension is just unbearable to the ears of athletes that are very dedicated but have bad tempers.

May 25, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  310. Brooke

A fine is crossing the line. Why not just threaten to bench the player(s) for the remainder of the game and be done with it? Why does the punishment have to be getting fined? If you really love what you're doing, the thought of not being able to play would strike you more than a fine would.

I think the intentions of this rule are good. Sports are supposed to help teach you how to be a team player and how to be "sporty", but if they plan on fining kids for this, I hope they plan on fining coaches and parents for it, too. I've seen more coaches and parents display "unsportsmanlike" behavior than I've seen from the kids actually playing the sport.

May 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  311. Ally

I think that fining is not the appropriate punishment for unsportsmanlike conduct. Players should just get kicked off the team. Those kind of players also deserve the opportunities they are losing such as scholarships. Do we want to be rewarding players who can't control themselves with scholarships anyways?

May 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  312. Nicole

I think it is a bad idea! And if they cant pay the fine they get kicked off the team? Thats stupid... Some people can barely buy food for themselves let alone pay $200 for a penalty... Just stick to fining the NFL players who actually HAVE the money to pay for it!

May 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm |