.
March 8th, 2011

Corporal Punishment on Campus

Corporal punishment at school:

I definitely wouldn't have expected students to be the ones to defend paddling at school, but that's exactly what happened at St. Augustine High School in New Orleans.  The local archbishop says paddling doesn't belong at school and that he believes it "does not build character."  But some St. Augustine students are arguing that paddling isn't just a form of discipline; it's a "form of life at St. Augustine" - and they point out that the school has produced successful men over the decades.

What is your stance on corporal punishment at school?

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Michael

I believe that paddling is wrong and that teachers should disapline their students by just sitting down with them and talking to them about what they did weong.

March 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  2. Christopher

While I am very disgusted with STUDENTS defending CP I am not too surprised. After all, when slavery was in the process of being abolished there were slaves who were against it and who considered slavery a "way of life." Believe it or not, during the Civil War there were slaves who willingly sided with the confederates, as disgusting as that was.

March 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  3. Michael

I believe that paddling is wrong and that teachers should disapline their students by just sitting down with them and talking to them about what they did wrong.

March 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  4. andrew

that is wrong it is child abuse and should not be allowed in schools and it causes students to have fear and also teachs that hitting people is the way to solve bad behavior

March 8, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  5. Bob

Hitting kids, as young as kindergartners, and girls as well as boys, is just unthinkable in the rest of the developed world, and should be illegal in all states here, not just the 30 that have already banned it. It instills anger, models violence, and is found harmful by every bit of educational research ever done on the subject. Good school discipline is instilled in the mind, not the behind.

March 8, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  6. Marisa

I think that there is no way that the school can do that. That wouldn't help the students to learn as well. They might just not come or leave that school because of it. Atleast I know that is what I would do.

March 8, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  7. Brett

I think the paddle should be used again because kids might not want to get in trouble anymore

March 8, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  8. Troy

Corporal punishment should not be acceptable in schools. Students should be punished, but not physically. But the students have a point also. Corporal punishment can make many people more successful in the future.

March 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  9. Brill

Corporal punishment just doens't make sense.
    Why would a bad student act good after it?
    Corporal punishment will only make a student feel more defiant.
    Even if the student act good after it, the student won't be doing it for he/she 's own sake. And the students might stop their good behavior when they are free of school.
    Teachers must let the students feel that good and sensible behavior are needed. And that is the true way of education.

March 8, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  10. Adam

I do not feel coproal punishment is acceptable even if the school raised successful men paddling children ended in the 30's and still should be ended now

March 8, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  11. Robby

No it is obuse and wrong it would be unacceptable and they should not allow it how would you feel if u got hit by a paddle for doing something bad

March 8, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  12. Adithya

Corporal punishment is, in my opinion at the least, a immoral and inhumane form of punishment. Although I do not go to St. Augustine High School, I am actually surprised that it has not gotten rid of corporal punishment until now. Even if it was the "form of life at St. Augustine," it does not mean it should not have been removed. Detention, although it may not achieve the best results, is much better (I, however, would not know too much of how detention is like considering I have never had it). In the real world, corporal punishment for disrupting the classroom can be thought of as similar to torturing someone for not following the law.

March 8, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  13. Austin

The fact that St. Augustin school has a legacy of using corpal punishment against misbehaving students says stong messages, messages that could rank on the verge of child abuse. Since it is a Catholic school, the Bible used in class contains many scenarios in the Hebrew Scriptures actually enforces corpal punishment, especially for children. The fact of this technique is to discipline and teach respect to growing children. I feel that especially in this generation, discipline must be a constant factor... It might be tough to allow physical punishment in todays world with the looming fear of child abuse, but remember it has been the structure of raising disciplined and groomed children since biblical times.

March 8, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  14. Angie

Amazing. This is amazing. I think this is perfectly acceptable, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Students need to understand that what they do has consequences. A detention, or a suspension doesn't get to some people. It somewhat simulates the consequenses of real life. If you do something wrong, there will be harsh consequences. Students will also remeber the punishment, and won't make the mistake again, while detention is just another "boring class". The proof that this method works? The students, so sucessful, so couragous to stand up to defend a tradition. Bravo. Man, if there were more students like this in America, it'd be paradise for teachers.

March 8, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Darby

I agree with the students. Not only is corporal punishment a part of their schools' tradition, but I even wish my school had corporal punishment. I think it would be much more effective than detention, where all students do is take a break from the rest of the day by sleeping or doing homework. Corporal punishment would be much more effective. St. Augustine should keep the punishment.

March 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  16. adam

its not fair to take away a 60 year tradition at the school that has been making successful men for years if they don't want to get paddled then they should do what they are told plus being paddled helps build character is what i think

March 8, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Park.

Hi, I'm Korean.
    Corporal punishment is common in korea several years ago.
    For many years, It's kind of a way to lead a student to a right way.
    It might be strange for you, even many parents think that it is necessary.
    Recently, It is prohibited by policy.
    But it think that it is necessary to teach students.

March 9, 2011 at 12:05 am |
  18. Bo-kyung

In my nation, South Korea, the government stopped teachers who do a corporal punishment. So all teachers cannot do any corporal punishments. However there is a bad point that teaches give black marks to students unreasonably.. It's not fair to have black marks because of a small drafting error! Also many students make fun of teachers when they get warnings because teachers cannot do a corporal punishment.
    Of course that we have to stop teachers if they do corporal punishments so much. But there are some bad points too!!

p.s. I'm so sorry about my English mistakes.. It is so hard to write..
    Anyway, thank you so much because i can learn English easily with CNN student news!!(lol)...xoxo Bo-kyung Kim^^

March 9, 2011 at 2:14 am |
  19. Jung

I just graduated form South Korean High School Where such a issue is evolving for the same reason. Do students need a corporal punishment as disciplinaryies?. In this totally civilized society , people claims that such a punishment should be unacceptable , and I mostly agree on that.
    But I've seen that physical penalty is still admitted for certain situations as the last shot because verbal warning was sometime no use.So, I think for some extreme circumstances, corporal punishments are needed

March 9, 2011 at 2:22 am |
  20. jannet

If the students and their parents/guardians want and feel needed for the corporal punishment at school, there should be a corporal punishment. However it shouldn't be the case for the students who dislike or do not want that way of punishing, they should be punished in a different way when needed. Also, there must be a strict rule in the strengthness of the punishment so that it won't be dehumanizing or agonizing.

March 9, 2011 at 3:03 am |
  21. Gino

If it's not broken, don't fix it....St Aug works...it works quite well.
    It's ironic...Police Officers can mace, taze, beat, and shoot our kids, if they don't obey the law. Some states execute our kids, but parents and educators can't use corporal punishment, to ensure they don't fall into the hands of brutal law enforcers, or the sometimes merciless criminal justice system...go figure.

March 9, 2011 at 4:48 am |
  22. Zach

If it works, keep it. If it doesn't then dump it, but St.Augestin has made successful black men since the 50s, and those men would be in gangs, jail, or in the ground (dead) if it weren't for St.Augestin and how they disciplined their students. The students have a right to say how they want to be punished. Kudos to the kids for knowing what's best for them.

March 9, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  23. Michelle

There are a lot of schools that produced successful men without corporal punishment. I don't think punishment is the reason for success. In Korea, the corporal punishment is disappearing, but there's no one arguing.

March 9, 2011 at 8:08 am |
  24. Jia-Sheng

I totally object to corporal punishment on campus. I think no one likes to be punished, especially at the place where young students acquire their knowledge, so I prefer encouragement to punishment. From my personal experience, students get more confident and learn more actively by themselves if they are often given honest and sincere praise.

March 9, 2011 at 8:19 am |
  25. Wang

i am a taiwaness.
    in the recent years,corporal punishment has been forbidden in taiwan.
    Therefoe,many students disrespect their mentors even violence occurs in the campus .It's all about there is no suitable methods to teach these bad students. hence,i support corporal punishment.

March 9, 2011 at 8:24 am |
  26. shante

why are they beating kids in a catholic school anyway. there are other ways to discipline kids. its going to affect them in the future.

March 9, 2011 at 8:34 am |
  27. taylor

I don't like paddling, but if it has been working for more than ten years then you got to stick to what works. In my opinon, I think it would give character and plus good behavior. I think the kids at St. Augustine High School notice the difference from their side of punishment and regular punishment. I think everyone is suprised that the kids are defending this. But in their case the teacher probably dont paddle much because the kids do what their suposted to do so they dont get paddled.

March 9, 2011 at 8:36 am |
  28. Matt

i think teachers should have a right to beat kidsif they are bad so they learn their lesson and behave. St Augustine High School should keep paddling the kids if they do not behave. I think the kids want to keep it because they have had it in there school until now. The kids behave because they know if they don't they will get paddled by the teacher.

March 9, 2011 at 8:41 am |
  29. Varun

Corporal Punishment can't be considered acceptable, because you can't honestly believe, that "successful black men" were created, just because they were paddled. I din't understand why the _students_ are wanting this form of cruel punishment.

March 9, 2011 at 8:41 am |
  30. dustin

Teachers should not be able to hit a student. Teachers should just give them a detention or they should be suspended instead of paddling the kids in St. Augustine High School in New Orleans.

March 9, 2011 at 8:43 am |
  31. Dylan

I think teachers should paddle the students, so they can learn their lesson and they can grow up and be successful men and women inSt. Augustine High school.

March 9, 2011 at 8:44 am |
  32. Dakota

I think paddling should not be in schools. But if the students at St. Augustine thinks that it is a form of life there and they dont think that it is just a form of discipline. They said that it has produced successful men over the decades.Then the student should pick if they want it to keep going on or not.

March 9, 2011 at 8:45 am |
  33. Parker

Do your research and find out how many discipline problems occur at corporal punishment schools. I believe they are way lower. Time out and soft love has got our education system in the bind it is today. Ask the other countries what they do that have highly succesfull students. Time out, talking too, and all that stuff simply does not produce successful students.

March 9, 2011 at 8:53 am |
  34. Ted

If there is not a punishment in school, how could you cope with students who are really bad or noisy. I know that excessive pumishment is not the way of right atiitude, but I agree with optimal pumishment for trouble maker just in case of more serious problem.

In addition,because there have been tradition their own, it is not a good idea to change tradition in one single day. The most important point is that students want to keep their tradition like paddling. So who denies?

March 9, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  35. Kristina

I think they should keep their tradition. If they take away the punishment it is like taking away part of St. Augustine. Also, Traditions are important and St. Augustine had that tradition for a long time. Kids will do the right thing because they don't want to get punished.

March 9, 2011 at 9:15 am |
  36. Sammy

If you don't want to be punished, don't do anything wrong!!
    I beleive this is completely okay, and it is legal. I the students agree, why shouldn't you?

March 9, 2011 at 9:16 am |
  37. Kaylee

I don't know why the students want to be hit, for their punishment. But if that's what they want then give it to them. Kids there will be much better if they know their going to get hit.

March 9, 2011 at 9:26 am |
  38. sidnee

school paddling is a great way to get the students to mind.i say this because the schools who don't do that the kids are bad and detention
    doesn't help them learn.

March 9, 2011 at 9:27 am |
  39. Laniciana

Why would they want to be hit?Even if it does work its bad!!!!!

March 9, 2011 at 9:29 am |
  40. Anna

I think it's odd that the students want to be hit for their punishment, but if that is what the school has been established on and what makes the students behave then they should have the right to stay with corporal punishment.

March 9, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  41. Aaron

The concept of paddling a child has been long argued that it is the responsibility of the parent. In schools, back about 20 years ago, paddling was initiated by the principals to secure appropriate behavior in schools. Some kids were double consequent when they went home. Today, after the school no longer could enforce this detourant, schools lost the ability to provide an orderly place for students to learn. I applaud the students and wish more students would see the importance and reason of this practice.

March 9, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  42. Kristian

Corporal punishment is acceptable because if you spare the rod you spoil the child.

March 9, 2011 at 9:33 am |
  43. Misty

I really thought that paddling kids was against the law in this country, so I don't see why the matter is up for debate. I suppose the laws may vary from state to state though so I could be wrong.

March 9, 2011 at 9:35 am |
  44. Matthew

I feel paddling is unacceptable because students these days are becoming more rebellious. They are rude, ignorant, and disrespectful. They feel that they are grown. Paddling these types of students will only cause violence between the students and the teachers.

March 9, 2011 at 9:36 am |
  45. Caylin

I think it is acceptable because at catholic schools when I was younger, we use to get beat for our wrongs. If the students get beat they will learn their lesson.
    Some children don't the disipline from their parents, that's why there are so many children growing up so horrible doing bad things!

March 9, 2011 at 9:38 am |

I think that paddling in school isn't right because it may be a way of life to some students but they should think about the other students because they might not think that it's right. They should take a vote in the school to see if they are okay with being hit. They might not even know it but in my opinion maybe even the parents don't want their child being paddled. Some of the students might even be tramatized if they have been hit this way for a long time.

March 9, 2011 at 9:42 am |
  47. angel

like that is unacceptable bc if that was me i would have been fighting back bc im let somebody know let somebody hit me u will get done up believe that not only will i fight back my mama and daddy and brother and sister will fight tooo

March 9, 2011 at 9:44 am |
  48. Kenzie

I think that they should keep it because if not, they are gonna have a lot of people doing the things they shouldn't. The punishment keeps them from doing bad things.

March 9, 2011 at 9:49 am |
  49. John

I used to go to a Catholic School a couple years back and they used corporal punishment. One day I got in BIG trouble so I went to the office and they spanked me HARD. It DID NOT fell good. I cried and I got my friend in trouble too. So they did it to him too. I felt so bad for him and I think this is a BAD idea.

March 9, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  50. aaron

If the students want to be disiplined then why not? They want it then they should get it.

March 9, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  51. Dakota

I think that corporal punishment on campus is a good thing because then the students will learn not to do what ever they did again.

March 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  52. Bailey

I believe that it is the school's Principal's choice whether to or to not have corporal punishment at their school. I also believe the people going to that school should have a say, because they are paying either the school or the gorvernment to go to school.

March 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  53. Cassandra

Corpal Punishment isn't something that should be allowed at school, it is basically considered abuse to the students. The student should get a diffrent dicipline instead of paddiling, but if it's what the students want then it's just what the students want.

March 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  54. nathaniel

i think my school would be more succesful. there are kids that are really rood to the teachers. if we had padles there wouldnt be any more rood children.

March 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  55. David

I think there should be paddling at school because it makes students not want to get in trouble because they will be paddled.

March 9, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  56. Terri

Why would someone want to get smacked square on their butt? It would be painful, and not a good way to do things. GO NONCORPORAL PUNISHMENT.

March 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm |

I think it is not right cause it would cause harm to students.I couldnt imagine the pattles at are school.

March 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  58. Sean

It would be ok in my mind only for the reason that it keeps you from acting out and making you more mature

March 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  59. Zach

I think that corporalpunnishment is bad and should be outlawed in all states.

March 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  60. Shane

i think it is ok because it keeps disipline in check and i bet people get farther in life because they did not goof off in school

March 9, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  61. Curtis

If i was in that school i would have said one word "sue"

March 9, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  62. spencer

i think that if they want to keep the paddle let them have it. but i dont think that it helps them with there charictor

March 9, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  63. Joesph

The principal or whoever is in charge has the right to or to not have something done his or her way. I believe if the kids don't like it, they should go somewhere else. You get what you get and you don't throw a fit is what my mom used to tell me.

March 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  64. Jeremiah

It's the parents job to discipline kids, not the school's job. I do not think it's right.

March 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  65. James

I think that is a great idea to keep students in line and for them to do their work all the time.

March 9, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  66. Sayna

I think that corporal punishment should not be prohibited. That is for the parents to decide. Teachers give out lunch detentions and refurals NOT spankings.

March 9, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  67. Falann

I believe that the corporal punishment at St. Augustine High School is unacceptable. If you're over the age of eighteen, then you can't hit a minor. It is known as child abuse and it shouldn't be tolerated. Some of the students are only supporting it because they don't get the corporal punishment and they enjoy watching the other students that do get the corporal punishent get paddled. If they don't stop the corporal punishment soon, it will turn into something bad and it more likely will have an effect on the economy.

March 9, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  68. Erin

The students in my Contemporary World Issues class feel that corporal punisment in schools could be a good and bad thing. Some thought the students who want to keep it probably weren't the ones getting hit. It encourages violence and it would make you hate your teachers who paddled you And maybe it might teach discipline, but we don't live in dark ages anymore and paddling is not civilized

March 9, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
  69. Savvie

I believe that corporal punishment is wrong because, student should not get beaten for their wrong doings. Yes I understand tradition and other peoples belief but some people probably want to keep it because they have never been beaten before and I know as a student I would rather get a referral or get suspend for breaking rules instead of getting beaten.

March 9, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  70. Zack

I think corpral punishment in school is unnaceptable. its wrong to punish kids physically. suspension is a much better way to punish kids it works and yet they have no physical damage done.

March 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  71. Kunagee

If the students at the school have graduated and became important people in society I think the padealing should stay. More schools should do the same thing!

March 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  72. Hunter

To me corpral punishment is cruel and harsh to do to children. Instead they should just send them to detention or suspenstion. And thats why i dont like copral punishment.

March 9, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  73. jaujanae

i think that the should punish them with paddles. IF they are learning to become good citzens then yeah the should be punished with paddles. hey look on the bright side they are learning to become respectful.

March 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  74. emma

i think that they should punish them because its what the students want it might be wrong but the school has made alot of successful people . i dont think we should stop them now if we were going to we should have done it a long time ago not now

March 9, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  75. jaujanae

yes they should punish the kids because they have made alot of progess so why should they stop

March 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  76. adam

it is bad

March 9, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  77. Matt

I think it is wrong to paddle students but if the students want it then it should stay. It has worked in the past so why would you change it. It is a way of life at St. Augustine.

March 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  78. justin

I think its not acceptable
    and people will think its child abuse

March 9, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  79. Mrs. "J."

I was spanked as a child and I am sitting here typing this. Spanking never hurt my self esteem just my bottom.

March 9, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  80. Madison

I think it really depends on the situation. I admit, I think that hitting kids in school is wrong, but when the kids want it, it must be working. Most of the time corporal punishment is not an acceptable way of punishment in schools, but if the children are better behaved because of it, then it must be working. I think they should have a vote to see if it will continue or not.

March 9, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  81. Kayla

spare the rod spoil the child verbal warnings only make student's soft I got my rear end busted so what makes these children better than me. Getting corporal punishment has never killed anyone yall need to get a gripe at St Augustine

March 9, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  82. parent

I will have to agree with the archbishop and glad he is showing leadership on this issue. The church has been full of scandals, and doesn't need any more. I read where there were actually kids at that school who had to go seek medical help after a paddling. What I really believe is going on is that some of these people only know hitting, so they are accustomed to it. There are far better ways to handle misbehavior. Maybe the entire community needs to go to parenting classes to learn other methods.

March 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  83. kyle

If you have a way of life, no matter how bad it is, why should anybody take that away from you? It's your way, not theirs.

March 9, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  84. Noelle

Paddling, or other forms of capital punishment, is a good idea. Whether it be paddling or 25 push-up, it is an effective form of dicipline and provides that extra incentive for a student to behave in an orderly manner.

March 9, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  85. Teyanna

Obviously there not fit for change. If it were me, I would want to have change, Our school just changed, now we have more students then we did last year. All the guys just need to grow up and have change at that school.

March 9, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  86. austin

This school should not go through this it is very rude to a student and can cause other students to fear of the paddling.

March 9, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  87. Raymond

i think its a tradition at that school, and obviously that school has produced great people. taking away that tradition could alter some of the schools education towards the students.

March 9, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  88. Sara

The students will be the ones receiving the punishment, and if they support paddling, I think it should remain enforced.

March 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  89. Trenton

I think that schools shouldn't be able to hit or touch a student. students should get a permission slip signed if there parents want them to get paddled.

March 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  90. jaqcarvious

I think it will be slow for them to continue paddel them for desplaint

March 9, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  91. Travis

I think corporal punishment can be used to discipline kids but the parents should have to sign a form so if they only want to have their child verbally or physically punished. Also the child should have some consent or at least be able to talk to the parent about it.

March 9, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  92. JaVohn

I think they should keep discipline because it could keep boys disciplined and strong.

March 9, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  93. Gabe

It should be up to the parnets that they want there child paddled or not.

March 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  94. Riley

It's not right that simple

March 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
  95. Jayden

Teachers shouldn't be allowed to hit students. Because that doesn't really help anything except ay attention and that isn't helping them in school. I beilieve they shoudln't have it in schools because it can't help them in school work and that's what teachers want, for kids to do good in school but, paddling isn't helping.

March 9, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  96. Jayden

Teachers shouldn't be allowed to hit students. Because that doesn't really help anything except pay attention and that isn't helping them in school. I believe they shouldn't have it in schools because it can't help them in school work and that's what teachers want, for kids to do good in school but, paddling isn't helping.

March 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  97. Kyle

Even though its a tradition, I know I wouldn't want to be beat physically by a teacher and I know my friends wouldn't either...

March 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  98. Christian

I think that if the students want that to keep the paddling punishment in effect then they should. The school has to be careful not to turn it into abuse though.

March 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  99. Josh

I believe if the students want corporal punishment then the teachers should give it to them because they believe it will shape them into well rounded disciplined kids.

March 9, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  100. Rachel

People shouldn't ever lay a finger on anyone thats why schools have rules because if they didn't there would be a lot of chaos.

March 9, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  101. Mark

i think that it shouldn't be allowed to hit students so i think it should't be allowed to hit students so yeah i think about that is not unacceptable.

March 9, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  102. Tyler

I think there should be corporal punishment because that a tradition for one but also for discipline, to teach them the schools expectations. Maybe some boys need discipline because there guardian/s let them do whatever they want.

March 9, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  103. Andy

I think the got there minds beaten because I would never like my children (when I get older) to be punished by the teachers. I could do it my self.

March 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  104. mario

i think that in unacceptable that just ant right because would if the kids were the teachers they would not like to get hit wit a ruler are the if they hanked on their hair

March 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  105. Erich

I think cotporal punishment is not ok, becasue getting a spack on your bottom would hurt and I think ditching school is better than a spacking

March 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  106. Seth

i think that it is completely unacceptable a student shouldn't do good in school because there afraid that there gonna get hurt. it's like being the boss of the house and you control people with fear,

March 9, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  107. Gisselle

I wouldn't like to get paddle at school . One reason I wouldn't like getting smak just because I did'nt do my homework . It could be a form of discipline . But I know most people who wouldn't like to get smack but I guess that how St. Augustine sees how there behavor changes.

March 9, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  108. Remey

I disagree with corporal punishment because in my opinion it is wrong to do. I believe it is an abusive form of punishment. There are other better ways to discipline besides spanking.

March 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  109. cesar

i think this is unapropiet because students are not supposed to get punishment if they ack up

March 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  110. Jhon

I think it's wrong because i dont think students should get hit by other adults besides their parents. But at the same time it's right because if they do get whooped for it they would know not to do it again

March 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  111. Jauan

I think this kind of behavior is unexceptable. theses students dont desrve this kind of punishment. I do not understand why kids encourage this horrible behavior of staff. I also do not undertand why PARENTS would even allow their children to go to school and support this behavior.

March 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  112. Nikolai

Kidz shouldnt be able to hit kidz if thtey aint theres. Hiit your own kidz aint gat nun hav one n hit it

March 9, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  113. kash

i believe it is unacceptable even if it is a form of discipline

March 9, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  114. cesar

i think that being punished might not be the way that the kids want to be treated like animals.

March 9, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  115. Precious

I think that if the students feel that being disciplined like this helps them to build character and keep them on the right track, who are we to say wether this acceptable or unacceptable?.!

March 9, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  116. ROZAY

This is wrong because no one has the right to put thier hands on someone's kids

March 9, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  117. sioeli (si-oh-eli)

I believe in corporal(if that's how you spell it) punishment because if you get spanked because you were misbehaving in class, than guess what happens when you get a spanking? You learn to obey and listen to that teacher! If you do ditch school, than peer pressure is going to cause you to go back. People will think that you are a wimp and you can't handle getting what you deserve. So, I support corporal punishment fully and completely. Because we would have less troublemakers to deal with.

March 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  118. Brandon

I think that corpral punishment is acceptable. It would definatly solve some of the issues in schools today. The students would definatly respect the teachers more. In this case if the students are okay with it and they think it helps why not allow it? if its helping with disaplin why not continue to use it? kids dont respect the teahers like they use to. If they could get paddled they would be more respectful and more understanding to certain things...

March 9, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  119. Kyler

This might of been O.K. 30 years ago... but the environment has changed. How do we know the teachers aren't going to abuse this for there own "personal gain," if you catch my drift. Although I would love to see some of my classmates get pummeled to a pulp, it's still wrong.

March 9, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  120. Dillon

I think that corporal punishment should be allowed, it's a form of punishment and an effective one: if used properly. I can see the issue with the possability of harming a child but i also would think that most if not all, teachers and/or administrators would not cross the line or missuse this potentially very effective form of punishment.

March 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  121. LOGAN

Corporal punishment would be WONDERFUL!!!! Kids at school who mess around all the time distract the otehr kids who want to learn. The things wae sue now like "refocus" and even sending kids to the principals office doesn't work. There NEEDS to be corporal punishment and i support this fully.

March 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  122. Stephanie

I do not feel that punishing a child by paddling is appropriate. A child's pain tolerance effects whether how influencial the punishment is. If a child does not mind a paddling every so often, the child is likely to continue misbehaving, but a smaller, more mentally fragile child may only take one paddling. There are other ways to effectively enforce rules in schools.

March 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  123. Jibria

Spanking is wrong and its no way for discipline to happen in school it would not be a pretty site

March 9, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  124. Shania

Well if there was paddlings then most people would be scared to even come to school. Also if there was there would not be so many people who get in trouble. I think corpral punishment is like abuse. that is very illeal!

March 9, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  125. Savannah

I think that it should stay because it's a way of disciplining the kids. If parents can spank their child to discipline them, why can't the school? As long as it doesn't go too far, a smack on the butt seems a fine punishment to me.

March 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  126. McPherson

I know that discipline is important, but it's a HIGH SCHOOL. I find paddling inappropriate and, for the students, embarrassing. If I was a teacher, I would want my students to obey because they know it's right, not because they fear the infliction of physical punishment.

March 9, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  127. Ana

I believe that corporal punishment should be allowed because when someone does something horrible, putting them in detention won't help, but with a corporal punishment, the next time they will think twice before doing something bad, and anyways, it's their choice, if they agree to this, it should be allowed.

March 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  128. Lauren

This protest stands out to me because students attending a private Catholic school stand up for physical punishment. Usually any human would not like to experience pain as a consequence. If the victims of a punishment protest when it is abolished, then can the actual punishment really be that bad?

March 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  129. Justin

Some might say that this is unacceptable, but I do not. My mother always tells me how, when she was in school they had the paddle. She said that when God and the paddle left the school system everything went rolling down a bad path. Without the paddle there is no intimidation therefore, students act up, bully, and downright disobey the rules. I dont like to get in trouble but it just seems like now, well, lets just say we need the paddle bac, I know if it were back I wouldnt even look at somebody wrong. TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE

March 9, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  130. Ethan

If they want to have corporal punishment because growing up is full of pains then let them. I was surprise that they wanted the punishment to be allowed again but if you give it any kind of thought this punishment could be put into a good way. Teaching student to not do something orally seems to not be working. I may be wrong but have your students listen to you the first time they did something wrong.

March 9, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  131. Theresa

I think corporal punishment is wrong. It is abusive and teaches kids that it is ok to be abusive to their kids when they grow up because it's 'discipline'. If this happened to me I would want to sue the school and press charges for child abuse. I agree with the archbishop paddling doesn't build character it teaches kids it is alright to hit someone if they do something 'bad'.

March 9, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  132. Abbey

The people at St. Augustine are CRAZY!! I would say that a royal butt wooping should NOT be in a high school or any school. Why care if it has been in St. Augustine High School for years. If I were in their shoes, I would be lucky enough that they are stopping. I won't have to have a paddling so much that I would not be able to sit in my sit.Now that is just cruelity.

March 9, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  133. paris

i think that if it is something that they have had for years and they like it and are use to it then they should still have it. but i think that if anything happends to wear they get scares or anything like that then yes it should stop.but this helps because it reminds me of the store that happend in birmingham in 1963 when kids were fighting for there rights for blacks and whites to be together.

March 9, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  134. Seojin

I live in South Korea and till last year we had corpal punishment across the country. And this year, a new law passed t so corpal punishment became unacceptable. I think it's better that we dont have
    corpal punishment because our school became much better without corpal punishment. Also hitting a student when they do something wrong isexactly like hitting an animal. And students should know what they did wrong and to be ashamed without receiving corpal punishment.

March 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  135. Sabrina

I think that its not a very good idea to still have paddling because it might scar the student mentally and then think that pain as the punishment is the only way and would start abusing their child when they are older. And how would people react to that?

March 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  136. Sarah

I think that paddling should not end cause if students get in trouble and the teachers don't do anything about it they won't learn what's right or wrong in life.

March 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  137. mary

i think that its wrong because other schools might take the example but in this cituation i belive that the main point of this school is the paddiling the school it self should vote and be held by the students.i say keep it the same and if you dont agree then leave;)

March 9, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
  138. Grace

I don't get why the students want to keep paddling. Sure, they may have disciplined students, but, that might not come from the paddle. All in all, it's really just hurting kids.

March 9, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  139. David

What I want to know is.. Why do those protesters want corporal punishment to stay at their school? They imply that it is a tradition that produces successful black men, but I really don't see a logical correlation there. Before any valid opinion can be formulated, we have to know their reasons for wanting it to remain so badly.

March 9, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  140. Rahman

I thank kids are kids and everybody makes mistakes

March 9, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  141. Anna

If the kids at the school agree with this form of discipline, why should we try and change something that has been their rules for over fifty years???? In my opinion, the corporal punishment really does make a kid learn their lesson Cuz when I was little and acted up my dad would give me a little spankin. Even though it only stung for like a minute it still made me realize that whatever I did wasn't really worth the pain. Iwould learn my lesson that way more than i would by being grounded. If parents have a problem with the corporal punishment they would send their child to a school that didn't have these rules.

March 9, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  142. Teresa

Corporal Punishment is comletly wrong if the school hasn't been using it for its whole history like in this story. If the students want it then why not use it. They feel that Corporal Punishment is the right thing for them then they should use it and it should be legal. I think that the students deserve a say in this and there should not be a law against it if that is one thing that sets them out from the crowd of different schools.

March 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  143. ALEX B

I THINK THEY SHOULD BE PADDLED SO THEY GET THOURGH THEIR LIFE.

THEIR CHOICE

March 9, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  144. Kailynn

I wouldn't tolerate corporal punishment at that school, because I feel that only parents should have the right to do such a thing. (;

March 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  145. Justin

I feel corporal punishment is a good thing as long as it is moderated. Like one speaker said, their school has been producing successful young black men for decades and, frankly, why fix something that isn't broken. I know when I was younger, the most effective punishments were spankings and not timeouts. Again, why fix something that has largely been effective?

March 9, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  146. Niharika

I think that corporal punishment on campus is okay, but only to an extent. If the person/student is misbehaving constantly and the punishment does not cause any damage of skin or scars, it is okay. If the student just does some minor misbehaving, they should be let off with a warning. I think that a student should be given a few warnings before and actual corporal punishment.

March 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  147. Rald

As I have concluded in the past, I think corporal punishment is deemed as an unacceptable form of discipline. Although I'm Catholic myself, St. Augustine should keep the ban of corporal punishment. I don't even know why parents would find it okay to paddle a seed like a paddle-ball. More tribulations would sprout out if they hadn't banned corporal punishment at all, and paddling would eventually become abuse as it continues.

March 9, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
  148. Ceci

Just because the school has produced many successful men does not mean that it is because of the corporal punishment. Though they had a great turnout of fruitful kids, the teachers and their teachings are reflected in them, not a physical form of punishment. Anyways, verbal warnings, detentions and suspension should be enough to get a kid on the right path.

March 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
  149. Samantha

I think that the students should decide. Since its a punishment on them and it has been a tradition, it would not be fair if the students didn't have a say. Also if they want to keep it then they probably don't act up as much because of this tradition.

March 9, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
  150. Maddy

I think paddling is totaly ok! Why? Because it teaches kids to learn right from wrong. Its the same as a kid say a bad word, some moms/dads will spank there child, other may wash your mouth out with soap. It is all the same stuff. It just depends on what type of message you want to get accros to your kids.

March 9, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
  151. Benjamin

Personally if it was my school that was paddling students for punishment I would vote NO. But since the students at the school say it's okay i would allow it. After all it's not bothering the majority of students and it is keeping the school in order.

March 9, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
  152. Sierra

If the students choose to keep the paddle in the school traditions then it may direct the students to avoid getting trouble at school. Therefore, there will be less rule breaking and less and less kids getting disiplined with the paddle.

March 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  153. Haku

According to my research, corporal punishment was illegal in many states and frowned upon in the educational community since the 1970s. The idea of St. Augustine bringing back the practice of corporal punishment (if they did) may escalate rather lethally in the future, thus my oppositional direction to corporal punishment.

March 9, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
  154. Cody

I think that if they want to get padled then they can, and if they think that it helps them become better people then so be it. Also if they don't want to get sued then they should give out permishon slips....... and i think that if they are religios then they shouldn't padle at all because that is a form of abuse

March 9, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
  155. Julia

Being hit by a paddle is not a way of life. I understand that it is a tradition but some traditions should be laid to rest. I thought we were past hitting students with paddles!!! I'm amazed that the parents of these students have not come out and said that they oppose the tradition. Being hit by a paddle is not what is building character! The successful alumni of this school are successful not because they endured corporal punishment but because of the school itself and its curriculum. If you do something wrong, yes there should be consequences. But being physically punished is wrong and borders on abuse. Its a fine line...

March 9, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  156. Lookman

I think every student needs discipline if they are out of order in any way

March 9, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  157. Justin

I think it depends on if they're doing something wrong like fighting or bullying one another. But, if the teacher is doing it for a small reason its just demeaning. Its also about discipline. Everybody has to be disciplined at one time in there life. I had a talk with my teacher an she said they aren't doing it for joy it for discipline. I voted ACCEPTABLE.

March 9, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  158. Cheyenne

This is wrong... It could bruise or hurt them. Plus, what happens when the paddling doesn't hurt them anymore to behave? It seems wrong to hurt the students by paddling...

March 9, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  159. raynee

i think it is unacceptable because they are teaching that physical violence is ok when it is never ok. mabey they should live with the golden rule do on to others as you would have others do on to you do the teachers who are paddeling want to be paddeld!!

March 9, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  160. Marie

I believe paddling is wrong, but it helps the students learn to respect attourity. I would not tolerate paddling at any school, expecially at a catholic school. They've learn to adapt to being punished in the form.
    But, if they truly respect the techers, then they should decide if they want to keep the form of punisment.

March 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  161. Meredith

i know that i wouldn't want to go to a school where corporal punishment was acceptable but if the students that go to this school agree with it, people should take their opinions in to consideration because they are the people who the rules effect and in the end it should be their decision.

March 9, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  162. Griffin

I believe that anything not allowed in our country's armed forces shouldn't be allowed in our schools. I dont care how bad these kids would like to be hit with paddles, it is illegal. Believe me, there are many people who deserve to be padded, yes, but we cannot let our teachers hurt our students. I do believe that punishments in school should be more severe. Not to the extent of physical violence.

March 9, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  163. Caitlyn

It's NEVER ACCEPTABLE to physically harm a student or another individual at a school for that matter. Schools are meant to be safe environments. There do need to be consequences, however doing physical harm is no different from physical assault from bullies. I do appreciate that the students are the ones asking to keep the tradition despite what I believe.

March 9, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  164. Jacob

I don't think the students deserve corporal punishment. The students know it's a tradition but a hurtful one so why have it. I would say child abuse sense it's not their parents. The students can be very very succesful without being paddled. You can be very smart which helps in jobs, but disciplined kids have good behavior. You can be disciplined without being paddled, like maybe conduct marks. If you get 15 it's an automatic referal. Students may not get disciplined, they may just get very scared that if they get a teacher in college the teacher might paddle them.

March 9, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  165. Sara

Although I disagree with having paddling at schools, it's really the kids at the school that matter. I think that they should be able to chose if teachers can lay fingers on their students. I don't think it's right to hit students because it teaches them to be and become more aggressive to one another.

March 9, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  166. Sydney

I think that corporal punishment should only be allowed if the parents allow it. At my old school they had to call the parents before using a paddle on the child.But what i think is if they want to use a paddle on a certain person then they should get the parents to sign a slip saying they can paddle that student.

March 9, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  167. Sophia

I understand that the kids would want to keep the beatings because its a tradition and they don't want that tradition to end

March 9, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  168. Zana

If you take away a relegion from a family, they would be lost. Taking a tradetion away from these kids would make them as lost as sheep without a shepard. If a school is private, they should be allowed to have a tradetion that is right for them. They, as well as I, believe that this will make them better people. This "corporal punishment" as you so call it has helped these young men become what they are. It is not fair to take away a tradetion. I am for it. A little corporal punishment won't harm anyone unless it leaves a mark on their mind. This school has turned out many a great man as they had stated. Let them continue their tradetions in peace. It is good for their being and it helps them learn how life works. Let them have their paddle if it is what they want. A little pain never hurts anyone unless it turns into consent abuse.

March 9, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
  169. Jayson

I think this whole paddling thing needs to stop because first of all im pretty sure the parents do not want other people spanking their child. Thats their job. Second because if the kids actually do get hurt in some way a big lawsuit is coming to that school. Third because its just down right wrong for someone to put their hands on another persons child... unless you are forced to.

March 9, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  170. Victoria

If I were to be in that type of school, I would agree with all the other students. It's a tradition and it is to stay alive in that catholic school.

March 9, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  171. Brittany

I think it is very unusual that the kids would want to still have that rule......but yet again some people and kids like traditions and are set on them and dont want them changed..soo im going with the kids on that one, it would be different if they wanted it changed..but if they want it to stay the same, who's to stop it?!

March 9, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  172. Avery

I believe that corporal punishment should not be allowed. Why, you may ask? My first reasons go back all the way to the 1300s. Do you hit a man when he is down? No! Do you strike a man who cannot strike back? No again! And didn't the Declaration of Independence say that all men are created equal? Today this means that all "people" are created equal. The definition I just listed is what the current law is, and yet corporal punishment is still allowed today, right? Another point of interest: any person over 18 using a flat piece of wood (paddle) on an animal or other person over 18 would be arrested for assault. Therefore, why is corporal punishment not against the law in 20 states? The conclusion that we have is that corporal punishment should NOT be allowed in any schools.

March 9, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  173. Patty

Corporal Punishment is sometimes the best way to discipline student. As long as the ones inflicting it don't take advantage, it is a very effective way to teach students right from wrong.

March 9, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
  174. Raydin

For the students it is a way of life. But for others it is to harsh. I think that changing a schools policy is going to change their way of life. St. Augustine has been around for so long an the punishment is a truly fair punishment. Over the years the punishment of schools has been getting to soft. If we do something wrong the most we get is suspention or expultion. But it still works in our favor because we get out of school and that is the problem. With the paddle its a couple swings, a trouble to sit for a hour or two, and ok we're back to work. That is something that both builds caracter and teaches us our lesson.

March 10, 2011 at 12:07 am |
  175. Rachel

I think the students' opinions are fine. As long as they believe it will do good for their school, then why not? It probably stops misbehaving kids from doing unappropriate things anymore, and if they believe in it, then keep it!

March 10, 2011 at 12:13 am |
  176. Fernando

I think that the students have the right to choose what they want as a punishment. I believe that this should be still apart of the school since it is a tradition. I do agree this is unusual for students, but since it is a punishment and a fair one too, students deserve to chose their punishment that can be effective. Plus, it is the students who are going to get punished, so why do staff and the press care so much about removing this punishment? I do say that there should be some rules to the paddling so that students don't get serously injured by abuse of the paddle.

March 10, 2011 at 12:39 am |
  177. Ilean

I think that corporal punishment is acceptable as long as they have the consent of the parent and the student, or maybe just the parent. It builds great character despite what people may believe, and it is more effective than detention, because, frankly some students like detention. Excluding masochists, corporal punishment would not be pleasurable for anyone, and therefore it is a fitting punishment, given that the "crime" is big enough to inflict it; the punishment should fit the crime.

March 10, 2011 at 1:25 am |
  178. Jean

I believe it is totally acceptable but only in certain environments. Like the student said, "Our school has produced a lot of successful black men." If it work in schools populated by mostly black students who turn out to be successful in life why take that away from them and increase the probability of young black men in jail?

March 10, 2011 at 1:44 am |
  179. Bailey

I think that it is not right because, hitting kids does not give them character. I also think that no one should touch other peoples kids besides the kids parents. Kids may just think it's okay they are getting hit, when really it is not okay. It could also give kids a bad image, such as making them think it is okay to hit others!

March 10, 2011 at 1:47 am |
  180. kelsey

I think it is wrong to have that sort or punishment at a catholic school. being a catholic myself i think that just because some kid does something bad it doesnt mean they have to get abused as punishment. catholics are not people who do that and i want to be proud of my religion insead of ashamed because schools like that do such things.

March 10, 2011 at 2:24 am |
  181. Lauren

School's for students to learn to do what is right. I believe corporal punishment is just about the opposite of a school's motive. Students are to look up to their teachers and respect them, if they hit/give you physical harm, they have no right to earn the admiration or respect. It isn't right to praise people who hurt you.

March 10, 2011 at 3:33 am |
  182. Arnesh

I am personally against corporal punishment, but if corporal punishment is allowed in St. Augustine, they should make rules to prevent it from turning into abuse.

March 10, 2011 at 5:53 am |
  183. Haley

I beleive that corporal punishment should be allowed at the school. It's part of the school and it is their "way of life" at St. Augustine High school. Also, the students want it to be kept as well, how many students in ANY school would stick up for corporal punishment if they did not absolutely beleive it had a place in their school?

March 10, 2011 at 6:52 am |
  184. sonia

I think if the students think it helps them and they want it then it should be at that shool.

March 10, 2011 at 7:41 am |
  185. Chris

I feel that punishment like that is unacceptable it's wrong and no one should be putting their hands on some ones kid(s). It's also werid how some kids are actually for corporal punishment If you ask me it doesn't build character it doesn't do anything at all it's not right at all and someone who does that should be fired.

March 10, 2011 at 7:50 am |
  186. Jonathan

If the students want to have it why are we standing in the way

March 10, 2011 at 8:07 am |
  187. Sam

students in my opinion should not be punished for being themselves or misbeahaving in class. we are kids after all and stuff happens, you shouldnt be able to punish us for being ourselves. we will learn when you yell at us if anything, not hit us.

March 10, 2011 at 8:56 am |
  188. Christine

I am niether against corporal punishment in school systems nor for it. It's a technique that has apparently been successfull for decades at St. Augustine HS and the students clearly favor it. The final say should be made by those most affected by the decision, the students themselves.

March 10, 2011 at 9:54 am |
  189. Leigh

If the students agree with this type if punishment then the school system system should agree with it. Students don't want this to change, they think that since it's been a tradition for so long it shouldn't change. I'm all for this type of punishment if the students want it. If parents had a problem with this they wouldn't send their kids to this school.

March 10, 2011 at 10:00 am |
  190. Cody

Corporal Punishment should be aloud on campus because the students would learn not to do what they they want after the first time they do it.

March 10, 2011 at 10:01 am |
  191. colden

I don't think that corporal punishment is a correct way to handle things, I don't know why kids would encourage this kind of punishment,and I personally would certainly not let any one paddle me except for my family and i do see the opposing view to this matter that it is that schools history but still...

March 10, 2011 at 10:57 am |
  192. Amber

Punishing kids with a paddle is violating their rights. The teachers may not be right about the punishment, it could all just be a misunderstanding. I feel that if the children had a taste of not being abused by the teachers they may learn to like it. Even if they are used to the tradition, you can get them unused to it

March 10, 2011 at 10:57 am |
  193. Jarob

No! Thats so unacceptable. Why would you hit a kid with a paddle when thats not your place? Verbal punishment is enough. Call the parents and maybe they can do that! Schools shouldn't be able to hurt children with a paddle! Physical punishment is the parents job. And the schools shouldnt' do that. If that was me, i wouldnt be good just becuase i got paddled, i would feel more rebellious and go against them! I dont believe they should even touch a child that isnt theirs.

March 10, 2011 at 11:25 am |
  194. Darian

I don't think it's their job. Getting disipline from your own parents is one thing, but from teachers? If the parents support this, I don't understand how. If someone else was hitting me, for disipline or not, I would feel threatened, and quite frankly I wouldn't put up with it.
    And personally, if someone else was hitting my kid with anything for any reason, I wouldn't take it lightly. If it isn't your kid, what gives you the right to put your hands on them for any reason?

March 10, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  195. Javier

If the students learn better by getting smacked at to get a better education there is no reason to argue with that . But no kid should get smacked maybe they can learn by there mistakes without getting smacked.

March 10, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  196. Ezekyul

Parents can't hit their kids so why should thier teacher be able to. It dose not raise a kid right it makes them hate their parents or teacher. Plus that would be child abuse AKA a felony.

March 10, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  197. Nichole

i think it really depends on the situation. I admit, I think that hitting kids in school is wrong, but when the kids want it, it must be working. Most of the time corporal punishment is not an acceptable way of punishment in schools, but if the children are better behaved because of it, then it must be working. I think they should have a vote to see if it will continue or not.

March 10, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  198. harjyot

Im totally against it ! Who does that? Only stupid would do paddling at school. Its wrong. They should think how they would feel if someone did paddling to them. Its not the right thing to do. Change your ways and make yourself better.

March 10, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
  199. Greyson&Julia!

We think that this way of discipline is perfectly acceptable. It teaches students that being disrespectful to adults can and will have its consequences, whether that's physical, or mental punishments, there WILL be a punishment. Also, if parents don't like the fact that their children are getting these negative physical consequences for bad behavior, then they should take their students to a different place of learning. Students should be able to distinguish the difference between punishment, discipline, and abuse.

March 10, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  200. Briana

Beating kids at school is not the right punishment. That is the parent's job to punish the child. But even I think parents don't have the right to hit there children. Since when is it OK to control anyone with paddling? i think "Paddling" should be banned from all schools. I believe when you hit a child, it scars their self esteem. If I were hit to be controlled, I would slap that person who hit be back and rebel against any rules of the school. I don't care if I am bruised or killed, all I care about is peace and hitting kids is not peaceful or the right thing to do. This world is all about control and when this gets too much out of hand, everyone will go crazy and this world will be chaotic. Maybe a verbal warning, then a referral, then suspension, and if the child still does not listen, then expel them from the district. It's hard to tell your thoughts over the computer and not yelling or cussing. Why would the kids want paddling in their school? I am glad someone is taking action to 'breaking the tradition' of hurting students.

March 10, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  201. Ravin

I don't think this is acceptable.They shouldn't do that to them.In my opinion,It seems abusive.If they were mad enough they could hurt them.I remember getting spanked when i was little.It's not a fun thing.It can hurt and damage not only u psychically but mentally.The student will be afraid and it would cause them pain and they would flinch to somethings.It will cause fear in their lives and i don't belive that you should be "abused" to learn from their consequences.If i was a parent at that school and my child was scared because what the teachers are doing i would be mad.I would sue the school for abuse because last time i cheeked this isn't the old ages anymore its 2011 people!I would pull my child out of that school and make sure they change the rules no parent wants their kid coming home to their kid upset just because their teacher hit them.Like i mean if the teacher was having a bad day and they do something like just laugh in the middle of her lesson then she could hurt the kid really bad.Because it is no longer to 1800's this should be passed away and taken out of ALL schools because in my eyes that is considered abuse.

March 10, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  202. Crystal

corpal punishment shouldnt be used in schools. if students arent behaving its because teachers are not paying enough attention to thier students. Also if they are not listening it doesnt mean thier not paying attetion is because the teacher isnt usin any excitement towards the student

March 10, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
  203. Ryan

Think about the "one" student who we grow tired of watching their disobedience and lack of respect for others. If this helped restrict that behavior and provide all the other students an opportunity for a better learning environment then I would support it.

March 10, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  204. Dante

I don't think punishing kids in school is appropriate.
    Because WE ARE ALL BORN FREE!!!
    Punishing kids in school can affect their learning ability.
    Kids come to school to learn, make friend and be happy.

March 10, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  205. Khaled

Corporal punishment diminishes students abilities, and indeed triggers violence. Some say, that corporal punishment will make a better man, and if we look deeply into the consequences, we will find out that individualism is prevented.
    Corporal punishment also leads to sustaining conformity. I think the only barrier toward being better individuals is conformity. and I am sure there are tremendous ways to make a better man.

I also attended a catholic school and we never even heard of any corporal punishment. Now, after have experienced the life of a teenager, I totally disagree with this punishment.

March 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  206. nicholas

There is pros and cons to corpal punishment. The pros are that paddiling tells them that if they mess up then they get pain. The cons are paddling can turn to abuse or the teachers can just make up a reason to paddle a kid. With that being said they would not get a fair trial.

March 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  207. Anthony

Corporal Punishment is unacceptable in my eyes. Spanking kids with a paddle doesn't build character, because the only way to build character is if do good in school. And these students shouldn't have to suffer through the pain, its just wrong!

March 10, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  208. Ali

It's tough to say. If this school does it, why not others? It could teach those boys that it's okay to hit or be hit. This could lead to abusive relationships.

March 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  209. Laney

In our long history of schooling, there has always been paddling existent. Most of our grandparents were spanked by their teachers, because that is just how things were back then. However, nowadays that is not seen in the same light as it once was. This generation has never really been exposed to that sort of discipline in schools, and therefore it looks to be unacceptable by the general public.

March 10, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  210. Emma

I agree. I think that if the teachers and the principal think the teenagers deserve it then they should get it. School is about being disciplined and taught the right way. I usually don't like paddling and spanking but in school this is how it is done. Kids, especially teens need more than a warning and a "time out". If we were back in the day where kids respected their elders and hardly if not ever needed to be spanked or paddled then it would be different. It is up to the teachers and the principle what to do. If their parents don't like the way their children are being taught then they can go to another school. That is why their are all different types of schools.

March 10, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  211. crystal

I think it is fair, and unfair at the same time because some kids need a good old fashion woping. Thats way some of this kids are bad now. I know I got in trouble, and trust me I learn. Putting them in time out or ISS is not going to work they are going to kept doing the same things over again they were doing before they got in trouble. The kids at my school thats not going to work it seem that the more they get in trouble the more they do.Because if you put your hand on them they will jump or start swing on you. Some of this kids need a good slapping aside the head to knock some sense into them.

March 10, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  212. Olivia

I could go two ways. One ,I think it is abuse to paddle a person.On the other hand if they stop the kids could go out of control because they aren't scared of consequences.Plus I wonder what the parents are saying.

March 10, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  213. Thomas

I feel that paddling though some people may say it builds character, all it does is cause pain to the student. If the student is having trouble in school make it the parents restorability to help their child, don't paddle them. I believe that paddling may even worsen the particular situation. Paddling may seem to be a good solution, but simple Saturday detentions will do just fine because they are torture without physical violence. As the saying goes, violence is not the answer so paddling should not be the answer.

March 10, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  214. kyle

I believe the students should be able to get what they want, if they believe in getting paddled let it be. That’s the way they like to be punished, if it improves their behavior then there should be no argument.

March 11, 2011 at 10:21 am |
  215. Ade(Ahh-Day)

i think some kids deserve it but i know if that paddle hits me we're going to have a problem.!

March 11, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  216. Shontel

I think they should leave the punishment to the parents. Anyone other than that should not have the right to touch the kids.

March 11, 2011 at 10:24 am |
  217. jessica

i dont mind them fighting for it ,but people shouldnt be paddled to teach someone how to be good. when i was growing up if i did something bad they would put me into timeout to think about the choice i made and that worked alot.

March 11, 2011 at 10:26 am |
  218. andrew

i think its not right for kids to get hit by someone that isnt there parents because that is child abuse

March 11, 2011 at 10:28 am |
  219. JaSoN

corpral punishment shouldnt be allowed. weve seen what this has done in the past. i diminishes your selfesteem, and some people that maybe be depressed could take it the wrong way.

March 11, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  220. oscar

why should we take somthing that they say helps them build character i thought we wanted to help them, let them keep the paddling so more successful students can keep coming

March 11, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  221. Jacob

I think that the students are correct the schools has fostered many great students and although paddling is not the greatest form of punisment it is not the worst. Sometimes I wish they would bring it back in all schools because inncorigable kids may finally break if you bring the paddle out. On this point though there must be limatations otherwise teachers and principals would go slap happy and beat a student to death.

March 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
  222. courtney

I think that its tottaly wrong to put your hands on another persons child. Even if the kid did something wrong it still is not right. What is wrong with detention or a more friendly punishment. I know my parents would not want me in a school like that. So i dont think that should be allowd in school.

March 11, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
  223. ella

I think that this is wrong. you should not hit kids if they act up in class. instead you should give them detention or have them sit outside for a while. Then you could go out and talk to them and tell them what they di wrong and not to do that again.

March 11, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  224. Courtney

I do not agree with the punishment because if a student needs discipline than their parents should do it instead of the teachers. And WHY do the students support the beating instead of wanting it gone? I would want it gone, but if they think it will make them better in the future than I think the teachers should only do it with extreme things. For example: one student did to things, forgot their homework and ditched school. They would get detention or a warning for forgetting their homework, but the punishment for skipping school.

March 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  225. Kelly

Corporal punishment is just not right for anybody to be treated. Nobody should be disciplined that way. It is a very cruel and the kids should stand up for themselves if they don't quite respect the way they're punished.

March 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  226. Lorena

I do not agree with this because there is a whole bunch of punishments in the world they could use other ones but not paddling. That is a form of child abuses I would think. You don’t have to agree with me but I don’t like this kind of punishment. For example: make then read a book, write a book, clean something, help people. I think that more people will like it that way. And also if you change your discipline to that you will lose people at your school.

March 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  227. Burke

I strongly believe that punisment should be restricted

March 11, 2011 at 1:36 pm |

i think thats wrong excpecially if your in high school and your a young adult.

March 11, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  229. Pikachu

I think corporal punishment is wrong because the kids like something and believe in it. If kids break a rule, they should be given detention or suspended, but they shouldn't be given corporal punishment.

March 11, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  230. Bessie

I definitley think that coporal punishment is an efficient way to conduct discipline but it surprised me that the students are supporting the paddling, and I support the students at that. A tradition is something that is almost sacred to them and should not be changed.

March 11, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  231. Cory

i believe that punisment should be inforced but not physically beacuse it would cause conflit between people

March 11, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  232. lania

I think the punishment is not needed because if it happens the students are just going to dislike the teachers more. It's not something that would make the kids want to do better.

March 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm |

This kind of punishment is unfair to students and i believe this is a kind of abuse to them. Using different kinds of punishment with no physical abuse but are still effective, will have a postive impact on the student. If you just do the other way around, it will have a negative effect.

March 11, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  234. Nathan

I believe that it is wrong to put corporal punishment on the kids. Why i think this is that the school has no right to punish us this way.

March 11, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  235. nicole

Thats beyond stupid I mean there is no way they should have the right to even touch you! You should be punished by your grades not physically

March 11, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  236. Jessica

I dont see the need for Corporal Punishment, your will face the consequences later, why paddle a kid, let them realize their faults.

March 11, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  237. Justin

I believe that physical punishment is not okay at school but the students at St. Augustine believe that physical punishments builds character. For this argument i think they should choose what they feel strongly about

March 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  238. John

Idont agree with them punishing kids....if they defend punishmet, thier choice

March 11, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  239. Dominique

I Think That The Teachers and principal should not be allowed to paddle the kids no matter how bad they are being. It Should Be up to the parent if their kid should be punished like that.

March 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  240. M@rcus

i think its not right since the punishment that happens to you,from somebudy else, then you feel bad and will also be thinking about it all day or more

March 11, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  241. Shelbi

Paddling is unacceptable. if it was allowed, and someone irresponsible was behind it, imagine what they could do. Especially to small children, who aren't going to go home and tell their parents that they thought it was wrong. I think it's just giving it too much of an open window to hurtful people.

March 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  242. Desiree

I Dont Think Its Rigth For An Child Of Any Age To Be Padded. A Punishment Can Show Thet What They Did Was Woung An Should Not Be Done Aging.

March 11, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  243. Joe

My Father always said : There is a proper area to administer discipline to a child,...and it's too far removed from it's brain OR it's heart to be fatal or permanently damaging to it's health.."......He kept a "Razor strap " or wide leather belt for this purpose, and after a child had "been to the woodshed " with him one time, it came back humbled and much wiser.... ....

March 11, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  244. marvin

I think this isnt and is right. Its wrong because your arent suppost to hit people but the teacher or principal tells the parents before they enroll the student how the system works so i guess its the parents deciision if he wants to enroll his kid some where else so they dont hit him or just leave him there.

March 11, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  245. anthony

If the kids are in favor for it then allow it just put guide lines to how many times they get paddled . But also let the parnets into the conversation.

March 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  246. mike

i think that corporal punishment should on ly be used when it is needed like in a tough situation

March 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  247. Stephani

I think that hiting students is just wrong because it's their fault they didn't do their work plus it's going to effect their grade and their life so why should teachers get in the way.

March 11, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  248. joby

School should not beat kids because the student could drop out of school and have no education.

March 11, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  249. kierra

i personally think its a good idea because then kids are getting a good education and then they wont have excuses for being late......but then again it would be hard to get up and having to have your teacher wake you up and not your parents then that would be a little to weird

March 11, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  250. Skyler

I believe corporal punishments are unacceptable because the punishment only hurts the student in trouble. No one has the right to hurt anybody. If someone does something bad they should get punished, but not like that.

March 11, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  251. Blakely

Students would be better off if they had been punished by a paddle.You might actully have a straight line in the hallway for once!

March 11, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  252. Casey

Tradition or not, corporal punishment is downright wrong. If someone beat their child, and the child grew up to be successful, we wouldn't encourage them to beat their own child, in an attempt to achieve the same results, right?

March 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  253. Eleazar

it is wrong because you migh punish someone that didn't do it.

March 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  254. George

Spankings taught me a good lesson.If it works,just let them spank the kids

March 11, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
  255. alyssa

Corporal punishment at school is acceptable it the kids want to ave it in their school. If it want to be a better person then let them because it not wroth fighting over if they want it. But if they get major hurt then it should not be around. I agree with Precious.

March 11, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
  256. Veralidaine

I don't think this should be allowed. Kids could be hurt bad from the paddle but they might not speak up. If teachers want to punish kids they should use less violent actions like detention, extra homework, or extra questions on a test.

March 11, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
  257. Zeila

I think that the corporal punishment in schools is an awesome idea!
    I think that all students deserve it!!!
    GO, PADDLES!

March 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
  258. Phoebe

I think it should still happen its like a tridition to the school so if the students want it to still happen HAPPEN!....

March 11, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  259. Grace

Keeping corporal punishment is a good idea because then students would learn to not be trouble. I know I would hate to be paddled, I think it would hurt, so that's why they should keep it to teach students discipline and then they wouldn't cause trouble anymore.

March 11, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  260. Dakota

I think its not a good idea, kids should not be beaten for any reason. I think a different form of punishment could be applied to kids not beating them!

March 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  261. Ariel

I say NOOOO!!! give out detentions or friday schools, just like my school does. It is a better way of punishment, instead of giving a kid a "red bottom" all day, its the parents job to do that, NOT the schools. Most schools,in my state, usually frown upon that. I wouldn't want my bottom hurting all day.

March 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  262. star

This is Possibly the worst way you could discipline a child, and whats even worse is it has become those children's lives, it has been going on so long they have accepted it. It doesn't matter if they are ok with it our not, this is something that needs to stop for everyones health.

March 11, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
  263. star

It doesn't matter what the school says or what the kids say. paddling needs to stop, and i hope they will find a way for it to end before it leads to something bigger.

March 11, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
  264. star

if hitting a child at home or anywhere is against the law, then why is it ok for children to be hit at school?

March 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  265. Rose

I would NOT be with this. If it became a law that at every school there had to be paddling, then I would beg my mom to homeschool me.
    If I was a teacher and it was my job to porpously hurt students then I would quit my job. Better yet if I was the student then I would smack the teacher silly for trying to hurt me. I am not for this in any way, shape, or form. This is not my way of thinking. Sure a teacher would love to smack a kid every once in a while, but they almost never actually hurt the student. Everybody wants to hit someone when they are upset, but that doesn't mean they actually hurt someone.
    It's not fair if a teacher gets to hurt a student because the teacher is upset. The students can't even defend themselfs without getting in trouble!

March 12, 2011 at 1:40 am |
  266. Anna

I think it the students knew a school without paddling they would like it. They don't know anything else.

March 12, 2011 at 8:52 am |
  267. Michelle

As usual those who are not raising children are the ones dictating how kids SHOULD be raised. This school is predominantly male and African American. In a time where the majority of jails are dominated by such individuals the phrase "by any means necessary" comes to mind. Any parent that has ever had a strong will child knows that the consequence for not doing a thing must be greater than the need to do it. Hence why some traditional schools in America and Even in England still do it to this day. In England it's some of the most elite schools going back hundreds of years. Why do they do it? Because young men most of all must develop a sense of respect for the " pecking order". Yes there is someone who can tell you what to do, and this can be an upper classman. This is a form of discipline that works, and it works because it is done in love and compassion to train students to discipline their natural desire to "do what they want when they want to", regardless of the consequence to others. Why do you think the students want it? It's because deep inside they know this form of discipline works. As long as the administrative staff monitores who is administering the paddling, so as to avoid abuse. We can paddle them in school or allow them to run a muck and they will be paddled in jail. That paddling with not only distroy them physically but it will emotionally. As a mother of a successful young Black man, who had to paddle a few times, I say paddle away.

March 12, 2011 at 9:35 am |
  268. Lauren

this is just flat out wrong. getting hit with a paddle is not the right consquence. Kids do not learn anything from this. Its also not right for anyone to put their hands on ANYBODY!

March 12, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  269. hi!

I think that is unexeptible becaues that just makes kids become angry at their teachers and stop doing their work.

March 12, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  270. Ali

My school has a paddle and I'm fine. Corporal punishment should be a choice and the parents must have to approve it. The paddle won't hurt you, all it will do is teach you not to do it again.

March 12, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
  271. Jackson

Interesting, I would never have guessed that they would argue in favor of corporal punishment.

March 12, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  272. Sasha

They should be allowed to be punished because,everyone at the school wants to keep the punish.

March 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  273. Brenden

i think that it should be accepted because if students are being bad in class they should get in trouble and punished not just a warning

March 12, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  274. sadie

I think it is abusive and it gives the teachers the right to take their anger out on their students

March 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  275. Ru

I don't think that any school should use corporal punishment. No matter what the students say, I believe it is very inhumane and not a good idea at all. I would however like to know how the parents feel.

March 12, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
  276. Isabel

I think this is NOT acceptable. This might have been acceptable 30-40 years ago but not now. Even these kids want it it should not be allowed. These kids dont understand the consequences to this type of punishment. If the kids want this "abuse" to succede in school and life the need to grow up and 'put their heads on straight'. its the hard work that counts in life not the way the lessons are taught.

March 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
  277. Betsy

That is ridiculous. There just shouldn't be Corporal punishment at schools. I don't care if it is a tradition. To me paddling in school is just as bad as getting in trouble for having seizures. It's just ridiculous.

March 13, 2011 at 7:21 am |

The punishment is a good thing, that way the kids wouldn't want to do anything wrong because they probaly don't want to get hit,but there should be some "saftey regulations"

March 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  279. Autumn

I think that its's the students responsibility becuase he/she has to wake up at the right time and get ready and not 5-10 before school starts that could appear on a record or somthig that is permanet.

March 13, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  280. Joss

I say it's entirely up to the students and staff. Whatever makes school a place the students feel that they can succeed in. Even if its against some people morals, its tradition. People outside the school probably won't understand the students reasoning for wanting Corporal Punishment, but thats the school's and the students decision. If the both students and staff are comfortable with it, then i say the more power to you.

March 13, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
  281. Laila

Even if corporal punishment works and students don't do bad things for a while, it will produce rebellious and angry feelings in students. Or, students will be discouraged, etc. It won't work for all, I say!

March 14, 2011 at 3:36 am |
  282. Cathy

I don't know why St. Augustine's students are supporting paddling. Spanking, paddling, blah blah. Corporal punishments are just child abuse!!!!!

March 14, 2011 at 3:47 am |
  283. chisako

In Japan, Corporal punishment at school is banned by law.
    So I have never imagined that Corporal punishment at school wins the public recognition.

March 14, 2011 at 6:16 am |
  284. jun

i think it's not that desirable

March 14, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  285. Alaina

They shouldnt change the rules that have been there, that the children have adapted to those rules, all though the times have changed and in a lot of schools physical contact is not permitted.. the children like it the way it is.

March 14, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  286. Daniel

I do not think kids should get paddled because it does not buil character at all. That is why they ( the government) said no to paddling along time ago, this is not ok.

March 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm |

this is a good progressive thing to do because its getting kids to try harder in life

March 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  288. tommy

i think that a teacher should be arrested if they were ever cought hitting a child because there oviusly older and the kidz are younger

March 14, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  289. chris

i dont think that paldling should be aloued as a punishment for somthing like falling a test and it can easly be tacken out of content and tacken to far

March 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
  290. Caitlin

I think corporal punishment in schools is a good idea if the sutednts want it. the students at this specific school feel like corporal punishment keeps them in line and results in success. I think corporal punichment should be kept if it has such great affects.

March 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  291. Lydia

Corporal punishment is acceptable as long as the parent has signed a form of some sort to say that if their child has done something wrong they can use it, and it should only be used for serious things.

March 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  292. Ian

Teachers should be allowed to use corporal punishment because if the students do something that gets them in trouble, a "stern talking to" won't do any good, because they obviously don't care about what they did. if the teacher is allowed to smack the student, then they probably will learn not to do it again.

March 14, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  293. O'jeanique

I think that it should be up to the parents if they want their kids punished at school.

March 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  294. Tasha

I know that I would never want that at my school. thts just wrong and cruel, and school's shouldn't be allowed to do any physical harm to students. i cant believe any parents would send their child to that school.

March 14, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  295. chloe

That's unacceptable to give them wake up calls they should just wake up at a reasonable time.

March 14, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  296. Sean

Its wrong but it seems to be working and if the kids want to keep it than i guess you should its is a free country and we should speak up

March 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  297. samoan

I think that paddling at school is wrong.Voilence never solves nothing and it should'nt be at school.And also i dont think it is right for sombody that is not your gardian/parent to hit you.

March 14, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  298. Gabrielle

A bruise on the bum doesn't stop kids from mischievous behavior, in my opinion. In fact, modern kids don't really care anymore, as long as the trouble they cause is fun to create.

March 14, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  299. monica

i think that it should be aloud if it is traditional in the school and it just might build caricature in them

March 14, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
  300. Tyler

It is ok if the students don't mind it

March 14, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
  301. Elise

Paddling is a bad thing for the students. I think it is painful.

March 14, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  302. Zach

Paddling at school is unacceptable. No person has the right to hit or beat a child in a safe learning area.

March 15, 2011 at 9:09 am |
  303. Cameron

Kids don't behave anymore because they don't find detention that bad big deal you sit in a room for an hour or two. But, if they are paddled they will realize they don't like to be hit, thus better behavior.

March 15, 2011 at 10:55 am |
  304. Da'Shana

I think that paddling shouldn't be aloud, because school wasn't made for that, it was made so that others could learn. I think that if a student gets smart or makes you mad and you can't handle it then you shouldn't have that job. From my understanding students wouldn't let teachers hit them, students will fight back no matter what. My own parents didn't hit me so I sure wouldn't let anyone else do it.

March 15, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  305. Danielle

I don't believe in any type of physical abuse. I wasn't physically disciplined when I was younger and I believe I turned out to be a decent student on school grounds, and outside. Physical abuse doesn't change the way students act, the way the parents raise their children are the cause of either physically or mentally disciplining them. I don't think paddling is the right answer for this situation or any other situation. If you have to be abused to learn what's right and wrong, something is wrong with the human brain. All it will do is cause more chaos in that child's life, and affect their learning disabilities even more. No child or teenager, deserves to be physically abused in such punishment.

March 15, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  306. Erin

I don't think that corporal punishment truly works. When a kid gets in trouble, they only get paddled. That's pretty temporary punishment, it only lasts for a minute and then its totally over. The paddling doesn't help the student see that there are long term effects when they act out.

March 15, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  307. arriston

Its up to the student to make the call, but personally paddling a child in school should be left to family and their belifs

March 15, 2011 at 11:24 am |
  308. Hezekiah

I think that the corporal punishment at the school is okay because some kids are always bad no matter how many times they get suspended or whatever punishment the school has, but the corporal punishment might set them straight.

March 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  309. kory

I think that people should not get a woop pin because you is not they mom or dad no body is going to woop pin but my mom

March 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  310. James

I think they should not paddle students because its not up to schools to discipline students its their parents job. I disagree with this idea.

March 15, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  311. Mario

I think it shouldn't be aloud because that's what the parents are supposed to do if their child get in trouble. It is not the school responsibility to physically punish them.

March 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  312. Destinee

First of all why would they wanna do something like anit scepending or Iss because um y'all anit about to put no paddle to me byt if its nesscary for SOME of the bad kids but if yall really think yall was gone to apaddle to a bad kid dont expect not to get hit back when my teacher first said somthing about the paddles allthe kids said "I will hit a teacher back if they hit me with a paddle I dont care about got expelled they better not hit me!"

March 15, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  313. octavius

I think that children should not get a spanking by a teacher because they are not your parents but if they where your parents they could spank you but the teachers is unacceptable to spank you.

March 15, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  314. matthew

No, I wouldn't agree with that decision. If I got hit by a paddle I would leave the state.I think you should not get a wiped by a paddle.

March 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  315. Camryn

If I were in St.Augustine New orleans i wouldn't let anybody hit me.I would call my mom.What's the point of hitting the students making them want to quite school.

March 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  316. Gracie

Corporal punishment at school should be allowed because it may help some student learn because everyone leaern that something is wrong differently. But i also think that it should be up to the school board should make the decision to put corporal punishment in their schools. But it should also be up to the parents of the student if the school has corporal punishment the school should send home a form askin gif it is okay to punish their child be a paddling

March 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  317. Olivia

I think that it is crazy that students WOULD want that, but if that's what they want they should get that. The school should do a poll every year and go from there.

March 16, 2011 at 9:12 am |
  318. Zachary

I think paddling is not a good idea because like what some people have been saying it's abuse to the students. but I think it can also be up to the students weather they would like to be paddled or not. I also think It is a good idea because it will teach the student to not make bad decisions and do wrong.

March 16, 2011 at 10:18 am |
  319. Jeremiah

I do not think its right, it should be the parents job to punish there kids. its not the teachers job.

March 16, 2011 at 10:24 am |
  320. dyani

i know that some people might think that it is okay and i dont have any thing aginst those people in my own opinon it is wrong all the teachers have to do is tell the child to stopand if they dont listen then you need to disapline them in some other fashiont hat dosent include hitting or spanking.

March 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm |