February 21st, 2011

A Decision to Wrestle With

Do you agree with a boy's choice not to wrestle a girl?

It was because of his religious beliefs that Joel Northrup decided not to wrestle Cassy Herkelman, though Joel said he had a tremendous amount of respect for her.  A quick check of the blogs (including CNN's own Belief Blog) revealed that Joel had gotten everything from praise and respect to insults and taunts for his decision.

Both wrestlers were eventually eliminated from the tournament.  But we'd love to hear your thoughts on this:  Did you agree with Joel's decision not to wrestle Cassy?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Lancer

I agree with his decision because it was HIS decision. He is comfortable with the results; that it meant he would definitely not satisfy his goals and wrestle for a State Title. Then, he had to deal with the distractions of the media and refocus on the tournament. Very difficult things to do. He handled them well.
    Wrestling at the higher levels is a brutal sport. I have, personally, witnessed three girls get their noses broken while wrestling boys who were doing completely legal moves.
    In my opinion, allowing girls to compete with boys in the sport of wrestling is taking things to their illogical extreme. If girls want to wrestle, then wrestle other girls. Let's start girls wrestling programs and girls wrestling state championships.
    I am a former collegiate wrestler, coach and official. I have two wonder, precious little girls and they will not wrestle.

February 21, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  2. Mackenzie

If you dont want too you dont have to. if you dont want to be 'all up on a' girl then no, you shouldnt have to

February 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  3. Toria

This shows a great amount of courage.Courage because, how many guys would quit a wrestling match against a girl and still have the guts to face their friends afterward. Girls everywhere should admire him.

February 21, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  4. lukas

i think that everybody should have a choice in wrestling a girl or boy i a girl doesnt feel cofortable then why should they make her and why should boys have to without a choive i think that they should have a choice

February 21, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  5. Julia

This country prides itself on religious freedom: Joel had every right to not wrestle against Casey if its against his religion! If that is what he believes is right and true, then who are we to tell him he is wrong? Good job Joel! 🙂

February 21, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  6. Brill

I don't agree. They are both wrestlers.
    They both have strength and skill. So why can't they wrestle with each other?
    Religious beliefs are important to one's life.
    It impacts a lot to our lives, and mentally leads us.
    But I don't think this situation counts.

February 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  7. jalisa

I think it's because they think girls are to weak but we can be pretty strong sometimes depends on the personality.

February 21, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  8. elizabeth

well it really is a boy's choice because if his parents don't teach the kid from doing right for wrong of course he is going to think its okay but really its not . No boy should ever lay a hand on a girl ever no matter what the case is ......Elizabeth

February 21, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
  9. Leyla

I believe that it is his choice. If he doesn't want to wrestle her fine. If he wants to it's okay with me.

February 21, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
  10. Anna

I agree with Joel. It was his religion and he stuck with it. He had respect for her and he was being a gentleman about it. If there were more people in the world who like him then it would be a better world

February 21, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
  11. Rubi

I think that a boy shouldnt be forced to westle a girl just because a girl can get hurt more then what a boy can. Therefore they should of never said that the boy had to westle the girl he had every right to say no. If she would of gotten hurt her parent would of said something and then that would of lead up into a problem. So the boy was right in say no.

February 21, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
  12. Allen

At least Joel was able to wrestle. In many states, like the draconian state of New York, home schoolers aren't allowed to participate in interscholastic sports. I'm not saying that every home schooler is going to be the next Tim Tebow, but at least give the kids a chance to participate. Great job Iowa, and get 'em next year Joel!

February 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  13. Kerry

Kudos to Joel for being willing to give up a wrestling title and face insults for what he believes in. It is really good news to hear about a young man with values and a clear, non-distorted view of how women should be treated/handled. I fully support him and hope there are more young & older men like that in the world.

February 21, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  14. Brian

Yes because a boy can easily beat up a girl because usually boys are stronger.

February 21, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  15. Austin

I think he was right not to wrestle her because it is the law that you can't punch or abuse a women!

February 21, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
  16. Ben

Joel has every right not to wrestle a girl if he didn't want to. You see this all the time: the United States is supposed to have freedom of religion, so it shouldn't matter how he handled a situation.

More power to him for doing what he believed was right.

February 21, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  17. Matthew

I believe that for the sake of the girl, The boy did the right thing, Regardless for religious beliefs or not. For the sake of the girl's Long time future, I hope she decides if Wrestling is the healthy thing to do

February 21, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
  18. Ryan

I do believe his decision was right to make, because he might be uncomfortable to "hit" girls. It makes sense and it might bother others too.

February 21, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
  19. William

I think that Joel should have considered more about this matter. Even if you are a girl, that doesn't mean that you can't wrestle better than a boy.

February 21, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
  20. Dasol

the boy had his own religious beliefs and he has a right to behave based on them. it is pitiable for the girl who might feel ignored but she has to understand the boy's beliefs. he is the one who kept his faith.

February 22, 2011 at 1:22 am |
  21. Albert

Well...

Although that the world is changing to respecting women, I think Joel is still discriminating people from their gender.
    We must throw our stereotypes into the trashbin!! There is no rule that women shouldn't be wrestling!

February 22, 2011 at 2:02 am |
  22. Nikolatte

I think the choice should be the boys because his decision to not wrestle her is just purely personal belief and not necasary lack respect for her talent or ability to wrestle. He simply was raised that you respect a lady more than that. ( not that im saying its wrong to wrestle a firl either) its just a personal decision.

February 22, 2011 at 2:23 am |
  23. Evelyn

Yes, I believe that Joel was right not to wrestle a girl, not just for his religious belief, but his manners. He is a good example to other young men to respect the female, especially the young ones for they will respect them in return.

February 22, 2011 at 2:37 am |
  24. jamie

i think it took we need more boys who act like men in this world, i say great job to the young man!!!

February 22, 2011 at 4:12 am |
  25. park

If I were him, I would wrestle with her.

I think this is the right decision because that is my responsibility as a wrestler.

February 22, 2011 at 6:54 am |
  26. Cheon

I think, it was totally selfish decision. If he really respected her, he should have played the game for her. What abour her all efforts to participate in ?
    She didn't participate in the game to just win by default.

February 22, 2011 at 8:02 am |
  27. TYLER

i think he should have left because as a guy i dont want to be known as the guy who wrestles girls

February 22, 2011 at 8:08 am |
  28. TYLER

no he should have fought and won easily

February 22, 2011 at 8:09 am |
  29. Zachary

I think it was right of Joel not to fight Cassy he is following his choice and i think thats great i think it is wrong for a man to hit a girl and for him to stand up and say he wouldn't, he's a braver man than me

February 22, 2011 at 8:14 am |
  30. Harris

I think it was a good decision, but I also think if "Cassie" wants to become good at it someone needs to be able to wrestle her. If no one does then she won't become good. What if all the way through a tournament every single guy backs down and the last one wrestles her...what if she isn't ready?

February 22, 2011 at 8:15 am |
  31. Matthew

I believe that he did the right thing. He could have seriously hurt the girl. If his religious believes or not he did the right thing in not wrestle the girl.

February 22, 2011 at 8:16 am |
  32. Mikayla

I think that it was his decision to wrestle or not. If it was because of his beliefs than it was because of his beliefs. No one should be criticizing him for HIS choice.

February 22, 2011 at 8:53 am |
  33. Brianna

Yes because its in his relgion. Its his choice to wresle her if he so wishes to. I mean why should he have to fight her anyway. Why can't they make a team why girls go against girls. Thats what I think.

Sincerly, Brianna.

February 22, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  34. tina

i think that joels decision not to wrestle a girl is a bad one. girls want to be treated equally and to show they can do what guys can do too.

February 22, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  35. Destin

I believe that it was a poor deciion by Joel to refuse to wrestle a female. Not only did it automatically put him in a losers bracket, but it probably also made Cassy feel bad. If cassy wants to wrestle and compete with males, then let her do it. It is her decision and it's not worth getting an auto-loss because of some twisted belief that males are so "dominate" that its wrong for the to compete with a female. Joel should have wrestled cassy.

February 22, 2011 at 9:10 am |
  36. Sammy

I am extremely annoyed that people are taunting a boy for not wrestling with a girl, I think sports should not get in the way of religion.
    When it all comes down to it, people are taunting his religion.

February 22, 2011 at 9:12 am |
  37. Jazmin

In my opinion, I think it is the wrestler’s choice whether to wrestle a girl or not. If it is against his religion and his beliefs then no one can make him wrestle if that is what he doesn’t want. Everyone has the right to their own beliefs and religion.

February 22, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  38. Paige

I think it is perfectly fine for Joel not to wrestle with Cassy. As long as Joel and Cassy accept being disqualified and they understand why they were, i see no harm done.

February 22, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  39. Ben

A girl can do anything a boy can. If he can't accept that and wrestle her, then that's his loss.

February 22, 2011 at 9:19 am |
  40. Maddi

I don't think thats o.k. I thought our country was over the fact that women have equal rights.Maybe he's not but most people are. Just because you think its against your religion to hit a girl doesn't mean you should drop out of the tournament!

February 22, 2011 at 9:43 am |
  41. Henry

I don't think a boy should wrestle a girl because its like saying go and hit a girl or go slam her.

February 22, 2011 at 9:53 am |
  42. Andrew

I have to agree with the boy. It's not right to wrestle a girl especially when its a match up in wrestling.

February 22, 2011 at 9:53 am |
  43. Tim

Because it was a girl i dont think it was that big of a thinking thing. Just like you cant hit girls why would it be different to wrestle a girl.

February 22, 2011 at 9:53 am |
  44. Alexis

It's not all fair because Cassy is a girl and he is judging her because she is a girl. Women can do as much as men can. She has a passion for wrestling and she should be able to wrestle someone, but she can't because he didn't want too.

February 22, 2011 at 9:54 am |
  45. John

i think that wrestling with a girl is inappropriate because thatb would not be a pleasent thing to see if you were there

February 22, 2011 at 9:55 am |
  46. Emily

I believe that it was good for him to believe that it's wrong to hit or harm women. On the other hand it's a sport. If she cant handle getting hit then she shouldn't be in that sport.

February 22, 2011 at 9:55 am |
  47. Kayla

i think he should have wrested her because she signed up for it. He could brake her neck though or paralyze her.

February 22, 2011 at 9:55 am |
  48. Jasper

I think guys shouldn't wrestle girls because girls are more easy to brake. their like toys if your to ruff with them they will brake.

February 22, 2011 at 9:57 am |
  49. Jessica

I don't think the guys should be afraid to fight a girl, the girl is there to fight for a reason. Guys may be afraid to hit a girl, but if that girl was dressed as a guy, they wouldn't know either way, so I don't think its right for a guy not to fight a girl 'cause she's female.

February 22, 2011 at 9:57 am |
  50. Delauren

I think the boys choice was wrong because if she wanted to wrestle let her wrestle.It wont be his fault if she gets injured or something. If something did happen to her she may have wanted to think about that before joining.

February 22, 2011 at 9:57 am |
  51. Kyeisha

Well this is wrestling and I don't have much to say but if the girl signed up so she knows what she's getting into.

February 22, 2011 at 9:58 am |
  52. Billy

Boys and Girls wrestling together? Really? What is next? I support the boy who followed his religious beliefs and common sense.

February 22, 2011 at 10:06 am |
  53. Larry

I agree with Joel Northrup when he said he did not want to engage a girl in that manner. I believe refraining from violent sports like wrestling is the proper thing for you to do.

February 22, 2011 at 10:11 am |
  54. Julia

If a girl wants to wrestle that should be her choice, don't try to stop her. If you only want to wrestle with guys join a all boys wrestling team . Don't just not fight cause you don't want to fight a girl, that's not right she joined it she can fight.

February 22, 2011 at 10:15 am |
  55. Richard

I think Joel's decision not wrestle Cassy was brave.
    It takes a real man not to hit a girl and to back down from the opportunity to hit a girl despite the chance of being mocked and ridiculed for it.
    I think this shows his true genuine character.

February 22, 2011 at 10:35 am |
  56. aberham

I would not wrestle a girl either. Its like hitting a girl with your hand i mean there some guys who would do that and not admit it, like those who dont have manners, in my opinion he did what ever he thought was right and if you thought it was wrong why don't you go and wrestle her then.

February 22, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  57. kaleb

I think it was right not to wrestle her because we should always respect all religious beliefs. I also think she would lose considering her challenger. I think it is not wrong and should be treated as strength and religious choice.

February 22, 2011 at 10:37 am |
  58. alyssa

i think its right cus if i girl can hit a boy boy can hit a girl its not right when girl can hit a boy and nothing happend to them that not right that why its right and if it was me i would fight here

February 22, 2011 at 10:37 am |
  59. Nina

Joel had the right idea not to wrestler a girl. If he did he should have let her win. But it would have been funny if he did wrestle her and she beat him. He will make good father when he gets older.

February 22, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  60. tasha

i think that girls can wrestle its the girls choice

February 22, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  61. Carlos

I think he did the right thing not fighting a girl. Even if girls do have rights it is better to not get hurt.

February 22, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  62. Treyvon

i think his choice was a good thing because thats what he thought was right so he did it

February 22, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  63. Ashlyn

Girls wrestle boys boys wrestle girls, but I think that he made the right choice to not go agenst her

February 22, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  64. cheryl

I think that it was his decision not tho wrestle a girl. Though girls that wrestle aren't scared to wrestle boys. Thats what the sports about

February 22, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  65. delaney

At my school girls wrestle boys, i was told "girls can do every thing guys can while wearing high heels." and it is true.

February 22, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  66. christiahn

i would have wrestled her if i was in that situation. I think that she might have found it disrespectful if i didn't wrestle her like she might have thought she wasn't worth it.

February 22, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  67. lizbeth

i think it was okay that he didnt want to wresle her casue he did not wan to hurt her at all and they should more girls wresle so she could wresle

February 22, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  68. Gina

I think that was the right thing for him to do cause if he feels that it isn't right or that wasn't what he believed then it was ok.

February 22, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  69. Shyan

i don't think its right for boys to wrestle with a girl because it is inappropriate. And i think girls should wrestle agents girls and boys should wrestle agents boys.

February 22, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  70. tim

i think no because its not only a boy sport everybody can do it.

February 22, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  71. hannah

I think that it was the right choice because maybe at his school girls can't wrestle so he is not use to it. maybe he was thought not to hurt a girl

February 22, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  72. Chelsey

I think its no far because i know boy's would not hit a girl because it is a law you cant hit girls. I would not wanna be hit by a guy.

February 22, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  73. Samantha

I think it is good that girls want to wrestle and i think it is bad because boys can get mad and play to rough. most boys wont even wrestle a girl because if they lose they might be called names.

February 22, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  74. Zoey

I dont think it is good for them to wrestle with each other but it ain't fair for the boy because they will make fun of them if the lose or win. If they win everyone would say that they beat up a girl. If they lose everyone will say you got beat up by a girl.

February 22, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  75. Olivia

I think it was so wrong that he didn't wrestle with her becuase that is totally jugemently becuase i'm a girl and i think that is so pregituce. obviusly if she joined the team she is not afraid to get dirty!

February 22, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  76. Kelly

I dont think its right for a boy to wrestle a girl because a girl can really get hurt and if that girl was my daughter i wouldn't let her wrestle. plus i'm not takin no body to the hospital

February 22, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  77. Morgan

I think it was ok to refuse. If he won people would say "Gee, why would you beat up a girl?" and if he lost they'd say "Wow you're such a wuss, you got beat by a girl?" but just avoiding it al together is ok 'cause nothing happens.

February 22, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  78. casey

Yes because i wouldn't want to wrestle a girl and hurt her on accident.

February 22, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  79. bailey

If it was his religious belfies he should follow them then

February 22, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  80. Jakob

i think it wouldn't matter because it's a game and it might be an easy win

February 22, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  81. Brad

I think that he should've wrestled Cassy. It was her decision to join the wrestling team and if she didnt want to get hurt, she shouldnt've joined.

February 22, 2011 at 10:50 am |
  82. Nathan

well i am a wrestler and i have never had to wrestle a girl but i would have made the same decision but i would also feel bad because i would always get critacized thanks carl

February 22, 2011 at 10:50 am |
  83. Alex

I think that people shouldn't make insults at Joel, just because he didn't wrestle Cassy. It was out of respect, and religon, so he should be left alone.

February 22, 2011 at 10:50 am |
  84. AeJeong

I don't understand from the first place why there is a wrestling tournament between different genders. I mean they are phsically too different (I'm not saying one of them are physically wrong, of course).

ok, Joel had a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy based on he religious belief.
    I wonder why then he wrestles with guys. Is that because of his
    religious belief to respect men relatively less?

No offense to religious people, religious belief doesn't make anyone convinced properly as it lacks in logic. If he wanted people to know that he really respected the girl, he should have said something related to physical differences or other differences that are innate in each gender.

February 22, 2011 at 10:51 am |
  85. Clayton

The Boy Should of wrestled with the girl. The girl is in wrestling which means she had the strength to wrestle with that boy. In my opinion it would be best to have wrestled the girl.

February 22, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  86. justin

i do agree with joel's decision about not to wrestle with cassy because we are always told not to hit girls so he was a gentlemen for not wrestling. Well I think it was nice of him to do that

February 22, 2011 at 11:06 am |
  87. Persephone

While not wrestiling Cassy was part of Joel's beliefs, it shows just how little progress we've had since the women's rights movement. While women still have rights, they still do not have the respect of their male counterparts. Part of that is the outdated belief that women are weaker and inferrior to men. That belief lodged itsself in religion because of the rulling patriarchies of the cultures that most religions arrived at.
    In fact, most basic, original, uncut religious texts promote equal treatment of race and gender.

February 22, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  88. Jordie

I think he did the right thing by following his religion and not going against it by wrestling a girl.

February 22, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  89. Faraaz

Of course i agree, i mean she's a girl wrestling a guy. Guys have stronger bones than girls if he breaks her bone then thats not good. Girls an guys shouldn't wrestle each other because it'll make the guy look bad if he beats the girl and it'll make him look even worse if he loses to her on purpose so she doesn't get hurt.

February 22, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  90. Tiffinie

In my opinion, there shouldn't be any difference when competing against a boy or a girl. It shouldn't matter, because clearly she is good at what she does and earned the right to wrestle at state. However, I understand that Joel was observing his religion and even though it might seem disrespectful to us for him not to wrestle, it’s disrespectful of us not to understand and praise his loyalty to his beliefs and faith.

February 22, 2011 at 11:23 am |
  91. Dustin

I think Joel has the right idea i dont think i could wrestle a girl i dont no why i guess just because i would feel uncomfortable.

February 22, 2011 at 11:24 am |
  92. cody

yes i agree because u should not hurt girls. Most guys are stronger then some girls. So i think Joel did the right thing and i think he made the right decision

February 22, 2011 at 11:32 am |
  93. Sydney.

I disagree. I don't think its inappropriate for females to wrestle unless she makes inappropriate advances or actions toward her teammates or opponents. Or even the other way around. I wrestled my freshman and sophomore years, and I didn't have anyone forfeit because I was a girl. Even in the religious schools, no one had a problem with it, and I was often cheered for on both sides because I was a girl. I praise Joel for supporting what he believes in, however I think it was unfair to Cassy, because wrestling isn't about who wins, its about the battle and how hard you worked to get there.

February 22, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  94. Jordan

I think he had every right to do what he did I was very respectful and he only did what he was raised to believe and do

February 22, 2011 at 11:40 am |
  95. Lexi

I think it wa sweet of him to think like that but it was unfare to her to be able to wrestle him cuz that was the case of why she was there wasn't it?he should have asked her about it.

February 22, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  96. taylor

I think it was very nice to not wrestle a girl. If it was me that he didnt want to wrestle with,I would appriciate it.I think that not wrestleing a girl is the best choice for us.

February 22, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
  97. Cheyenne

I understand how he does't want to wrestle her. Yes, girls can be just as strong as guys. But, wrestling a good friend of his is wrong. I fully support his decision.

February 22, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  98. Raquel

I think that Joel should have wreslted because Cassy wanted to wrestle him. I think that he should have just wrestled her.

February 22, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  99. Nick

I think that the american culture gives reasons to not kick or hurt a girl..100% agree

February 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
  100. Curty

I think that his decision was good and bad in the sense that it was a risky move for not only his team but his repuation as well he had worked so hard the regular season and I think it hurt the girl because so did she. It would have been better if he did because girls wanna be treated equal sometimes and not giving them special treatment in a wrestling match is a great place to start.

February 22, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  101. Elizabeth

I think that Joel made the right decision. I'm a girl myself, so of course I could not fully understand his decision, but I know that whatever was going on in his head was reasonable and morally correct. Naturally, a male would have an unfair advantage, probably being bigger and stronger, but if he had restled Cassy, his conscience would not be clear and he would probably have felt terrible if she had gotten hurt.

February 22, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
  102. marissa

i think he should of fought the girl because if he doesnt hes a chicken

February 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  103. Jax

I believe that it was her decision to join the sport and she knew she would be facing boys and i think she would want to wrestle them as if she were a guy because getting special treatment because you're a girl would feel wrong. I also think that he did the right thing, because if you don't stick to your beliefs then your just as bad as if you had went up and punched a girl in the gut.

February 22, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  104. Sarah

I really respect his choice. He did it for what he believes in. Most people won't stand up for their beliefs like he did. He's an inspiration to me. Whoever he is, I say, "Good job. Keep up your faith and stand strong."

February 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  105. Miya

I think that it was a good decision that he made. Even though he loves the sport he chose to stick to his beliefs and I think that takes a lot of courage.

February 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  106. Shawn

This is a tough blog! I think he did the right thing for himself because of his religion. But I also disagree because he is showing disrespect to his opponent by deciding to forfeit. Regardless of his religion, he should have at least tried to wrestle. That is only my opinion, however.

February 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  107. Dillon

I respect Joel's decision for not wrestling Cassy, because even though he knew he could be taunted for it he still followed his beliefs, and used what he believed in to make his decision.

February 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  108. Early

Being a femenist does not change my opinion of the fact that a male wrestling a female is inapropriate and unfair. Although I do not know the boy and the girl personally I believe that he did the correct thing politicly and morally by steping down.

February 22, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  109. Quinn

I understand why Joel didn't want to fight Cassy. Even though I'm not religious, I would not want to wrestle with a girl because males tend to be physically dominant over females and to me, it just would not be fair.

February 22, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  110. Keenan

It was his beliefe that made him not wrestle the girl he should not be criticized, but when he's criticized he's criticized of his religion.

February 22, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
  111. Mary

I think that Joel's decision not to wrestle Cassy was good and bad. It was good because i understand Joel might have hurt Cassy but its wrong because people have the right to do what they wanna do and Cassy wanted to wrestle

February 22, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  112. Marcus

I think he did the right thing cause you shouldnt hit girls or anything not saying they are weak but we shouldnt hit them or anything. people just should keep there hands o there self.

February 22, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  113. Walter

Well i think he should of wrestled her and show her why wrestling is a man sport just like football im not sexist but its true at least thats my opinion.o and please put my comment on cnn student news i have a bet with my teacher lol.

February 22, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  114. Chauncey

I don't agree with his choice because i think it is disrespectful for him NOT to fight her. My reasoning is because she probably worked hard to get up to were she's at but a boy doesn't want to fight her because shes of her gender. Now you have to think of what that feels like on her side. " A boy doesn't want to fight me because of my gender ".

February 22, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  115. Laura Ann

I dont think that he should have decided to not wrestle the girl. She has just as much strength and power to get to this stage. I am wondering that she would beat him. Girls are strong if not stronger than guys. Why do they get to say "i don't want to fight her because of morals." It is her choice to fight, so she gets to fight.

February 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  116. Noah

I do argee wit the boy. Because if you have certain belifs. You need to follow them.

February 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  117. Falann

I agree with his decision. If he did wrestle the girl and he won, then they would act like it was no big deal because he wrestled a girl. If he would of wrestled her and lost, then he would get made fun of because he lost to a girl.

February 22, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  118. Kathleen

He made a good choice. I am not saying that boys are stronger, just that physically fighting a girl is wrong. She could get hurt, badly.

February 22, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  119. Teacher

I think that Joel was right to decide not to wrestle, because this is what he believed, and he was following the principle of his religion. Joel also was well-mannered, because he did not want to fight a girl, which is what many of us have been taught. I feel that Joel was being respectful of girls by not fighting Cassy. It's not fair that he had to be eliminated because of his respect for a female.

February 22, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  120. Rikki

Yes, because I'm a girl and i believe girls can do anything boys can do, Besides i live in Iowa... GO IOWA!! (:

February 22, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  121. jasmine

there really not much to say, but i think that girls should wrestle, and i do understand that it his beleft but if girls want to wrestle i think they should.

February 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  122. shelby

i say yes because girls should be able to do what ever the boys do because girls they don't have many sports that they can play and i also think yes because girls they should have as much freedom as the boys do and the girls should have as much sports as the boys do too and it's not all about the boys. well girls and boys should be treated equally.

February 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  123. Matt

I feel Joel handled this situation with class. He acknowledged his respect for Cassy and based his views upon a belief that he holds higher than wrestling. Congratulations to both Joel and Cassy on their success this season.

February 22, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  124. Matt

i personally am a restler and i hate restling girls its kinda awkward

February 22, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  125. Mark

I think it would be wrong for a male to wrestle a female no matter what the conditions. Engaging with one another would be inappropriate and would go against how males are taught to respect women.

February 22, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  126. Christo

I don't agree with Joel's decision because any kind of person should be able to wrestle!

February 22, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  127. Araceli

I think Joel should of wrestled Cassy cause girls can be really tough and active. There is no wrong to wrestle a girl.

February 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  128. Michael

I think it was a good decision to not wrestle with her. It would not be fair for a girl to wrestle in a group that is all boys. It is nice of him to let her win, too.

February 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  129. Sabrina

I think that it is not right, because they are just saying that girls are not strong enough to fight them. Which is not true! We can be just as strong as them. So they are just scared that we might beat THEIR buts!

February 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  130. juan

i guest that he didn't wanted to hurt the girl or he was scared cause the girl could beat him up

February 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  131. Zach

I wrestle and I would have wrestled her, I have had to wrestle a girl in one of my matches and I ended up winning (no point intended)

February 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  132. Jamie

I think Joel should of wrestled Cassy. There's nothing wrong with wrestling a girl. Girls have all the same rights as men, so why are they picked on or disqualified from wrestling? I think more girls should join wrestling and the guys should actually wrestle them.

February 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  133. Victor

I think that Joel should have wrestled Cassey, but then he should have let her win.

February 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  134. Samantha

I think it was great that he believes so much in his religion and that he didn't wrestle her. SOme boys don't want to wrestle girls so I agree with his opinion.

February 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  135. patricio

I think boys should not wrestle a girl because girls are different than boy. Girls have different parts of body in where boys dont get hurt a lot.

February 22, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  136. karen

Yes, because the parents of Cassy they might think that Joel hurt her and that they might not like it and Joel did good by not wrestling her/

February 22, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  137. karen

Yes, because the parents of Cassy they might think that Joel hurt her and that they might not like it and Joel did good by not wrestling her....

February 22, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  138. Alexis

I believe it doesn't really mater if you have to play a girl or not. All you are doing is wrestling I don't get the big deal. In my sport we have to play against boys all the time.

February 22, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  139. Brittany

I think it was smart for him not to wrestle with a girl. I don't get why she would want to wrestle but that's not my decision it was hers.

February 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  140. Kayla

I know if i were her and i got denied to wrestle because i am a girl i would be very offended, but it wouldn't be as big of a deal because it is dealing with religious beliefs.

February 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  141. Cortnee

I think its his desicision he should do whatever he wants to do.

February 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  142. Rachael

I agree with Joel's decision. I think even if it's not for his religion it's his choice to wrestle the girl or not.

February 22, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  143. Shelby

I disagree with the fact that boys should not wrestle girls. If she is in wrestling and is good at then it is her choice to wrestle boys. If she had a problem with it, she wouldn' t be in wrestling, but i guess if he doesnt want to its his choice.

February 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  144. Ellie

I dont agree with his decsion to not wrestle or compete against a girl. Boys and girls are both equal, and one or the other shouldn't be scrutinized to not compete in a sport. When she obviously worked so hard to be the only girl there.

February 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  145. Madison

I think that it is unfair that Joel Northrup didn't wrestle with Cassy Herkelman just because she is a girl....girls can do anything that boys can do and that just shows that he isn't brave enough to go up against a girl.

February 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  146. Bradie

i do not agree with his decision to not wrestle a girl. I think that it could have been part of his religion but I think he still could have wrestled her. Girls should be treated the same way as guys.

February 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  147. Tori

I think he made a right decison, and it was right to follow his religion. However, I don't think people should win by default in any sport. I also don't think women should wrestle.

February 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  148. JaeCie

I think he was right not to wrestle because girls should not even wrestle in the first place. It's a guys sport, and it's weird if a girl and a guy wrestle, if you know what i mean.

February 22, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  149. Cole

I dont think Joel sould of forfited. It's a contact sport, and if she wants to play have at it.I don't see whats wrong with wrestiling. Only people with messed up minds would.

February 22, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
  150. justin

i think it is very bad idea i do not agree to fight a girls just walk away

February 22, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  151. Daniel

I think that his decision is understandable and mature. I say this because people can't judge someone because there religious belief is for a boy not to engage a girl in that manner. He should be praised and respected instead of insulted and taunted.

February 22, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  152. justin

i agree with joel never fight a girl just chew a piece of gum and walk away not saying a word.

February 22, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  153. Terry

I respect his desicion not to wrestle a girl but I don't see any reason not to, there is no passage in the bible that says one cannot wrestle a girl.

February 22, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  154. Ariel

Personally I think the boy was a bit unfair to the girl wrestling is a sport for both girls and boys and they should be treated equal.

February 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  155. Pusay

I think he made a wise chose because he is always thinking of consequences that he may or may not face.

February 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  156. Alan

If he believes it is wrong to wrestle with a girl than that is his decision and he has the right to make it for himself.

February 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  157. Janeen

I believe that he should not face so much criticism for making a moral decision. It is his choice whether or not to wrestle his opponent and I don't think people should be angry about it. He made the choice for religious reasons so I don't think anyone should be offended.

February 22, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  158. Jonah

I think he did the right thing by not wresting the girl

February 22, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  159. Stewie

I think that if a girl is putting herself into a tournament of combat she would know the risk of facing guys and maybe getting hurt! It would be her choice to participate in a combat sport like wrestling! So if i were him i would wrestle her!

February 22, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  160. bambo

i do agree that he has a right to follow his beliefs. No one can say anything against that. That's what he believes and people need to respect his choice. Everybody has there own point on this, but his point was to follow his beliefs. So respect that.

February 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  161. Cody

There is no reason for him to not wrestle a girl, in modern society women and men are considered equal

February 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  162. Jazlene

I totally agree that he didn't want to wrestle a girl. It shows that he has respect for women. I don't think he wanted to hurt her.

February 22, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  163. Josh

I completely agree with the boys choice not to wrestle with the girl and I think that people have absolutely no right to criticise his decision. He made his choice based on something that he thought was wrong and I don't see why people are making a big deal about it and putting him down for it.

February 22, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  164. Jasilyn

I think that it was nice that he didn't fight her, but she is in wrestling and she wants to fight other people, not for them to quit to be nice. It isn't fair that he made her be disqualified from it. I think he should have sucked up his feelings and wrestled her like any other person.

February 22, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  165. robert

i think that it was a good choice for that boy not to wrestle a girl. in my opinion boys should not wrestle girls. it is the law for boys not to touch girls only if they want them to. i am aware that the girl might wanted to wrestle him, but i bet the boy has never wrestled a girl before. it is considerate for boys not to wrestle girls.

February 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  166. Conner

I think the guys decision was very gender based. Yes his religuos belief may say that but does hers. She may have been insulted by his choice to not wrestle. I can see her probable point of view because my sister is just as ruff-and-tumble.

February 22, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  167. jose

I think yes because girls are gust good as boys!

February 22, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  168. Christian

I think that boys and girls should be in separate leagues only due to the close contact of the sport.

February 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  169. Tyler

I thnink girls should be about to wrestle because they should have a choice. If guys are able to.... so should girls

February 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  170. Mark A

Yes because if you wrestle a girl you will be bullied by people

February 22, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  171. Rachel

I understand his dicision but its his fault that he lost.

February 22, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  172. Carly

If its his beliefs then I suppose I agree with his decision. But if it is just because he doesn't want to seem weak if she wins then I don't agree

February 22, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  173. Mary

I think it kinda depends on how you look at it. Because Joel maybe be stronger or way more than Cassy, he might of hurt her badly. But then again, it's not like Cassy started wrestling without knowing she could get hurt form it.

February 22, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  174. Myranda

i feel his decision was right to back down. I think its the wrestlers decision if they want to back down from a match, but if they want to fight a girl they could.

February 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
  175. Kristina

YES: because he might have not wanted her to get hurt badly
    NO: because some girls can take down boys. Even when the girl weighs less than the boy. For example me! I can take down boys even when I weigh less than them, for example me and my friend "S".

but i agree more on no...

February 22, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  176. akhil

no because all we need is did we win the wrestling contest or no. I would just go do the wrestling even if it is a girl.

February 22, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  177. Sydney

I believe that he made a good decision. I do agree with his decision.

February 22, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  178. Beatris

I think its unfair for the girl who worked very hard to ge to the position, but in otherwords it was the right thing to do on the boys part.

February 22, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  179. Hannah

I am on Joel's side. If he follows his religious beliefs and feels strongly that he should not wrestle a girl, then that's his decision. Nobody should pick on him or force him into doing something that he doesn't feel comfortable with. If I was in his situation, I would feel uncomfortable too.

February 22, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  180. Bailey

Every person has a right to express and practice her or her religious beliefs under constitutional law, thus as an american I am compelled to agree with his actions. However, if this were to happen for any other reason ( like if he was afraid of losing to a girl) I would completely disagree.

February 22, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  181. Jaycie

Wrestling is more so a guy's sport and I'm totally with him not wrestling with her. His decision doesn't mean that he's a chicken, rather a gentleman.

February 22, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  182. Amanda

That is prejudiced against girls, who says they aren't as capable of winning as guys, no matter what your religion. Dropping out was a bad choice. Some people might take it the wrong way and think he's to scared to wrestle a girl.

February 22, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  183. Bailey

I think that it was ok that he said he didnt want to wrestle a girl, but that is his choice and his chance to win that he just threw out. He could of just talked to someone about it but its what he wanted.

February 22, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  184. Katie

I think that he made the right choice on not to wrestle her. He said that it was based on his religion and that it was uncooth to touch in that way. If he didn't want to then he didn't have to.

February 22, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  185. Angel

i don't agree with this. i really think females should wrestle with males. Coming from Iowa I have seen a lot of females wrestle, and honestly they are pretty good. i think he was just scared to be embarrassed in front of everybody.

February 22, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  186. Skyler

i think that the girl should be able to wrestle.

February 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  187. Abraham

It Does not really matter if a male Wrestles a female because you are assigned to that specific weight class that you have to wrestle in. so if i was in his shoes i would of wrestled her and not give her a default because wrestling is a man sport and if your a female wants to wrestle in a man sport you must meet all the requirements. and besides as they say Iowa is a Wrestling State and am a wrestler in Iowa. so i would of Wrestled her.

February 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  188. MOMO

U should not fight a girl.It is wrong

February 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  189. Miguel

I think the dilemma of the girls wrestling is not a problem. I also think that girls should be able to compete in the sport such as boys.

February 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  190. Jonathan

It wouldn't feel right having to wrestle a girl. If I could forfeit I would. If I couldn't forfeit, I would probably go easy on her.

February 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  191. Benjamin

He made the perfect choice. He can't win either way. If he wins, nobody cares because he beat a girl, but if he loses, he will be embarresed. It's a win-win for the girl and this is very unfair.

February 22, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  192. levi

i dont think it is right for a girl to play a guy sport because you dont see guys playing vollyball with other girls. of i were him i would have made the same choice and i do not belive he was being mean in any way towrds girls.

February 22, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  193. Joey

It shouldn't matter who people wrestle with, boy or girl, because everyone has a right to play any sport they like.

February 22, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  194. Nate

I am a wrestler and would have competed in the match. If girls want to wrestle they are taking the risk under there own free will and I would not hold back.

February 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  195. Johnny

I don't think it is fair for a boy to wrestle a girl. I think he made the right choice. Think about it if he wrestles it is a Lose-Lose no matter what. If he loses he gets made fun of for losing to a girl. If he wins he gets accused of beating up a girl. You can't win either way.

February 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  196. Shaila

can't decide, because if the girl gets severly injured it is the boy's fault! But then again it can be the girls fault for being in the wrestling team!! So the boy did the right choice but the girl didn't!

February 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  197. Rebecca

I think that Joel probably should have wrestled Cassy, since both of them registered, and qualified, for the tournament. When you enter a wrestling competition, you enter it to wrestle; fight anyone else that makes the cut; not to completely drop out and quit it?

February 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  198. Kara

No, I don't agree with the Joel's choice to not wrestle Cassy. Just because Cassy is a girl, doesn't mean that she can't wrestle. Girls have every right to wrestle if they want to. We can do everything that boys can do. There is nothing wrong with girls participating in sports that boys normally play.

February 22, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  199. Alison

I think that it should be the wrestler’s choice to wrestle a girl or not. If I were a boy and my religion says I shouldn't wrestle a girl then I wouldn't wrestle her.

February 22, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  200. Reina

I think that it is not right. I am not questioning his religion, but if you don't want to fight a girl because of her gender, that is just mean.

February 22, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  201. Anna

I do belive it is not okay for a guy to wrestle a girl, i understand why he made that deccicion. If a girl wants to wrestle they should make a girls team. I find it inoproprite for a guy to wrestle a girl.

February 22, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  202. Isaiah

I believe that he shouldn't have wrestled because it isnt right to wrestle or hurt girls.

February 22, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  203. Theron

I think he made the right decision because he followed the way he was raised.

February 22, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  204. Caitlyn

I think he did the right thing. He is being well mannered to not tackel a girl. Most of us have been taught to not hurt a girl in a physical way. That is his religion's beliefs, and he is respecting them the proper way. That is being a principle of his religion. Also, People should keep thier opinions to themselves, says my teacher , who is absolutley right! If they think Joel's decision is wrong, they shouldn't insult, threat, laugh at, or call Joel names. He is my rolemodel!

February 22, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  205. Stikaiyu

It doesn't matter if you are a boy or a girl, it doesn't matter if you win or loose. It is just a game and you need to play fairly.

February 22, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  206. Crystal

Well if he won people would say he is a jerk for WRESTLING a girl and if he lost he would get made fun of for LOSING to a girl!

February 22, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  207. Jaden

I think he made the wrong decision, because if a girl is at a guys wrestling tournement, that was her choice, so he could've and should've wrestled her!

February 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  208. Molly

This whole thing has been blown out of proportion. First of all, it was Joel's decision to make, not anyone else's. Second of all, it's just a sport. Why are people more interested in this then finding a way to fix our screwed up nation?

February 22, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  209. steven

I think he did the right thing to not hit the girl. if the boy would hit her he might feel guilty and he might give her the prize but remember never hit a girl

February 22, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  210. Davis

Since we respect people's religion inside of school, than that should be reflected upon our school sports. It would thus forth be hypocritical to make Joel have to wrestle a girl, if it is against his religious belief to harm a female. So Joel did the right thing by saying no to the match, even if it possibly cost him the state championship.

February 22, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  211. Mario

I think he made the right decision to not wrestle a girl because he could have injured her real bad.

February 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  212. christina

i think he did the right thing for not hitting the girl.If the boy would hit the girl he might feel bad if he hit a girl.He knows not to hit a girl anymore.

February 23, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  213. jakayla

I agree with his decision because it was for religious purposes. You cant judge someone because of there religion, he did what he believed was right .

February 23, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  214. Darante

I think that if his culture does not let him fight then I think that he should not disrespect his culture because if the other people had a chance to fight a girl but they did not because it was a rule. He made the right decision because he followed the way he was raised.

February 23, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  215. Tashawna

Yes, I do think it is not a good choice not to wrestle with a girl because she could get hurt or something . You will never know what could happen.I mean if a brother and sister are play wrestling, YES THEY COULD WRESTLE ! There's not anything wrong with it, but someone you don't know for real NO! There's something wrong with that.

February 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  216. Destinee

We must respect everyone religion whether their white or black. I have lots of respect of his religious beliefs.If I was him I would have done the same! He made the right choice to not to wrestle her. That what my momma tells my brother "NEVER PUT YOUR HANDS ON A GIRL! I don't care what she's done! NEVER LAY YOUR HANDS ON HER"... That could lead to anything. She Could of got hurt then her momma would have tried everything in her power to get back at at Joel, but it's her fault for putting her daughter in the program. She knows it's like a all boy sport! Right or wrong.Don't get me wrong she could wrestle, but could they have made a all girl wrestling team?

February 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  217. Caitlyn

Joel is right. It's his religion and he is a man. He can decide his own decision. It's a free country, and a free life!

February 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  218. Mandie

If it is the boy's decision and culture I think that a that the boy should follow it.But also I think that girls should even with boy's rights because it is a free country.But if a boy does not want to wrestle a girl because he doesn't want to hurt a girl or he doesn't want to accidentally touch a girl in bad spot then he does not have to and you shouldn't force him to.Everyone has rights so let his be said.Also a boy could hurt a girl more than a girl can hurt him and he does not to take any chances.I respect what he did. It could get to messy.

February 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  219. Jasmon

No I think the boy should not fight the girl its a law if you is a boy and you hit a girl. Its OK if you is a girl and you can hit on a boy but if you is a boy please don't hit a girl people will call you man beater if you continue to hit a girl over and over and over. Anit that something? but yea if you are a boy don't hit on a girl please don't. by

February 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  220. Katarra

I think it is a bad idea for boys to wrestle girls because girls dont have the ability to fight off men. I think guys should be in jail if they try to hurt women because it just isn't right

February 23, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  221. Malerie

I respect Joel in his decision not to wrestle a girl. I don't believe boys should have to wrestle with girls. It goes against religious beliefs and is inappropriate. If girls want to wrestle they should start their own team.

February 23, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  222. bryce

well hey if it was our religion we wouldn't do westle so why sould he to disobey his raditions and family ... good choice

February 23, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  223. Mary Jo

My opinion is that boys aren't genetically better than girls. The boy wrestlers must get training so the girls must to. Since they both have training, they should be able to wrestle equally. Just different techniques.

February 23, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  224. Bill

It amazes me that most of the responses indicate that Joel would have beaten Cassy. Iowa is all about wrestling. I know because I wrestled there in high school. If Cassy made it to the state tournament, she had already put a whoopin' on several boys, and it shouldn't be assumed that she would have lost the match. One doesn't make it the the Iowa high school tournament by accident.

The issues is should high school associations across the nation, which create the rules, allowed these situations to occur? Since, at present, the governing institutions allow girls to wrestle boys then the competitors need to be ready to wrestle whomever steps on the mat.

February 23, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  225. Christina

He made the right decision not to fight the girl. I think what he did was right because some guys are made to be stronger than some girls and he could have hurt her, or if she one, could have embarassed himself.

February 23, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  226. Lindsey

I think it's kind of sweet that he stuck to religion. A lot of people these days don't care about their religion.

February 23, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  227. Kyla

I think he should have wrestled her. If she was good enough to get there, it should be fair. But I understood why he didn't. If something interfered with my religion, I wouldn't do it either

February 23, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  228. Christian

With the standard saying "Girls are weaker and they will always be" uncalled for because boys can beat girls and girls can beat boy but,if he wants to make that decision that his opinion it's not mandatory even thow he will get mocked or laughed at that there's no need of mocking because every boy that teased him would probably done the same which proves that life is full os decision who knows maybe the girl might have thought about forfiting it's full os choices.

February 23, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  229. Elise

I think he should have a choice if he whats to wrestle a girl or not.

February 23, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  230. Gina

Well I think that Joel should have wrestled Cassey if you had belief to not wrestle a girl then why join wrestling it's going to come up sooner or later, besides I think that he was thinking not to hit a girl. Who knows maybe he was scared to go against a little compotition.

February 23, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  231. Gina

I think this was a understandable descision because he followed what his gut told him to do but its not that it's to follow your heart but in this case its your beliefs 🙂

February 23, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
  232. Austin

I would definatly wrestle a girl if she agrees I mean if she getss hurt it wont be my fault she said yes to wrestle

February 23, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
  233. Crody

I think it was a smart decision to forfeit that match, because it was the right thing to do and keep your respect.

February 24, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  234. Jaylyn

I think he was brave and was a real gantle man.

February 24, 2011 at 11:41 am |
  235. Alexis

If It was me, and I was a dude, I would first ASK her if she wanted to really do this. No one should treat a girl different from a guy, especially when it comes to sports! Girls can do everything boys can, but better ;D . I think Joel Made a great choice with not wrestling a girl! That’s my opinion on Joel saying no to wrestle Cassy.

February 24, 2011 at 11:47 am |
  236. seth

If it was me, I would ASK her if she won'ted me to forfiet and have her win, or have a wrestling match. Beause I don't like hiting girls.
    If she won'ted to wrestle I would have went very easy on her.

February 24, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  237. Austin

I would've wrestled the girl only if she wanted to wrestle. I dont agree with the boy but that is my opinion. That boy might've not wanted to wrestle her because she was a girl. I woul've asked the girl before I wrestle her. I would've went easy because she is a girl. That is my opinion.

February 24, 2011 at 11:55 am |
  238. Dize

One of mine favorite sport is to wrestle. I think it’s just stupid not wrestle a girl because of beliefs’ .I've wrestled a girl before it wasn't that bad. At first it may seem kind of weird but you get use to after a while having three bigger sisters. I also think he didn't want get beat by a girl. I understand that but who care's it’s just a sport and you are supposed to have fun and have good time with.

February 24, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
  239. Wil

I think he was very nice to do it. i would not.

February 24, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
  240. ZAKARY

I DON'T THINK IT IS VERY NICE

February 24, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
  241. Claudia

I think it is right for the boy to do that. If he believes that he cant put his hands on a girl then so be it!

February 24, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  242. Brittany

I do agree with him not to wrestle the girl. That just shows that he is a good guy and that he will stand up for what he believes in nomatter what the stakes are and what it is

February 24, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  243. Brianna

I think THAT THE BOY IS A VERY NICE PERSON AND [IN OUR] CLASS WE DON'T DO THAT

February 24, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  244. Steve and Nathan

I think that it is good for him not to wrestle the girl because that would be wrong if he put his hands on a girl

February 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
  245. phillip

i as an 8 year wrestler i havent had to wrestle a girl but if ur gonna do the sport and u love to win. its just like seeing the girl as another oppenet. its not really a big deal

February 24, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  246. Brekyn

I think it's his decision to wrestle. If he doesn't want to then he doesn't have. What if somebody asked you to do something that you don't do in your religion or something you just don't want to do would you do it or would you go by what you believe in??? I'm just saying he has a right to do what he wants to do so let him.

February 24, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  247. Brekyn

I think it's his decision to wrestle. If he doesn't want to then he doesn't have to. What if somebody asked you to do something that you don't do in your religion or something you just don't want to do would you do it or would you go by what you believe in??? I'm just saying he has a right to do what he wants to do so let him.:)

February 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
  248. Kimball

I say that Noel should win because if I was going to wrestle a girl I would just let her win.

February 24, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
  249. ciara

If he doesn't want to thats fine. If he has grown up to learn not to wrestle girls then thats ok. You shouldn't judge him for his choice!:)

February 24, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  250. carbarrawr

I disagree, in the fact that some people say that he was right because he did not want to hit a girl, but because it was in his religious beliefs, then I think that he should be respected for sticking with them. I do very much respect Cassy for ignoring any comments from boys in her time and reaching it this far in a "boys" sport.

February 24, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
  251. Bailee

I think Joel did the right thing. Why does he have to fight a girl if it's against his religion? If he chose to fight a girl then people would say that he hit a girl, and my guess is that it would go on his reputation. So I think he's being a great example to people who have to make that decision.

February 24, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  252. CJ

I think that it is a bad thing to put your hands on a girl im a guy i dont "EVER" but all the people in the world should know not to put your hands on a girl!

February 24, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
  253. carbarrawr

If religious beliefs were not his reason though, then I would disagree. Girls are treated like they are weak and most just go along with it, it is true that boys have more mustles but girls are harder-workers and can get farther because of this, although they are not stronger they can still be tough and a quite determined.

February 24, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
  254. riley

i think he should wrestler her becasue if he was going to chang ehis mind and all of a sudden chicken out of it then he never should have offered to "fight" her in the first place 🙂

February 24, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  255. Billy

I think that it was his way of respecting girls, and so we should respect his decision.

February 24, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  256. Shelby

I think that his choice is reasonable because the girl could have gotten very hurt because of his strength and it's his religion not to hit girls.

February 24, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  257. Kassidy

I think that his choice was one that he made so he could be true to himself. That takes bravery and courage. I bet he knew the chances of being made fun of and yet he made the choice he felt was right. He should be proud of himself. What he did took guts.

February 24, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  258. Precious

I thing the boy had all the rights to not wrestle the girl because he had respect to not wrestle a girl. And it goes against his beliefs.

February 24, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  259. Tegan

I think that what he did was right, because it should be his decision if he wrestled the girl or not. If it goes against his beliefs then he shouldn't do it, and he didn't.

February 24, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  260. lindsay

I DON'T AGREE

February 24, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  261. Matty

I fully agree with what he choose. I fully agree with his religion!

February 24, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  262. Alexis :)

I do not believe in this because she joined wresting it was her decision so she should be treated like any other wrestler would. 😛

February 24, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  263. Trevor

I think that it was kind of stupid of him to "throw away" an opertunity that not very many people will get. Although I do repect his decision, he should have wrestled the girl.

February 24, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  264. Paige

I agree with his decision because it was his to make. If he felt it wasn't nessesary or appropriate for him to wrestle a girl then he shouldn't have to. The girl won, so it's not like she had anything bad happen against her. Although, I can understand how it would be offensive from her side of the story.

February 24, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  265. brad

i think he just didnt want to wrestle a girl at state cuase he might lose but i think he should of any way

February 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  266. Isabella

It was his belief. He said he made his decision based on his religion. He even said he respected the girl. No one got hurt based on his choice.They both went on and wrestled.

February 24, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  267. Lexi

I do agree with his decision to not wrestle the girl because it's his belief. Also it's a good thing he repects the girl, i also agree with him that girls should not be wrestling with guys it's inapropriate. But if a girl would like to wrestle it is her choice and it might be offfensive to her.

February 24, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  268. cheyenne

i think that it was his decision and his belief. i dont think that its such a bad thing and that he can do wat he wants based on his belief.

February 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  269. Miguel

I agree with his decision because it was his decision and he would feel very uncomfortable wrestling a girl. So i say good job because he did what he wanted.

February 24, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  270. Tyler

The kid joined wrestling to wrestle whoever came onto the mat, it is a sport for both boys and girls, if a girl was my opponet, so be it, if he didn't want to wrestle her then he might as well quit wrestling

February 24, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  271. Sarah

I agree with his decision because it was his choice on what he wanted to do and not anyone elses. I don't think that he should be pressured into wrestling a girl if he didn't want to.

February 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  272. Ashley

I think he made the right choice because it shows that he respects a girl and if he decides to then thats his own decision

February 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  273. Dani

I think the world needs more guys like him. Most guys take advantage of girls. In my opinion i say he was the strongest wrestler there because he stood for what he believed in.

February 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  274. Tyler

I think if it is somebody religouis belifes not to hit a girl in any matter then they should have every right to forfit

February 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  275. brooks

I think that since the girl was going to wrestle in a match it is okay. If it was ust punching no way!

February 24, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  276. Tyler

I THINK YOU SHOULDN'T GO AGAINST YOUR RELIGOUS BELIEFS SO I'M ON HIS SIDE...

February 24, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  277. Raymond

I believe that it's his decision to not wrestle against a girl and no one else's.

February 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  278. Jake

I think the boy might be a little frightened if he lose's he'll be the laughing stalk of his school

February 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  279. Justice

If he really doesn't want to wrestle her then he doesn't have to. In this situation all any one can do is just say oh well and move on.

February 24, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  280. Joncey :)

I think that his decision was a good choice because it was totally up to him. Especally because of his religion! 🙂

February 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  281. Brennen

I think there was no winning in this situation

February 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  282. EDWARD

there is a choise and i think it was not a smart choise.Im a wrestler and if i had to wrestle a girl i would cuz i wouldn't want to quit and then get elimanated next match.

February 25, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  283. Ali

I think that he made the right decision because if it is his own religion then he has his own choice. Also, if he was willing to to forfeit it was his decision.

February 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  284. Thomas

I think Joel did the right thing because if a boy doesn't want to wrestle a girl he doesn't have to and if a girl doesn't want to wrestle a boy she doesn't have to either

February 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  285. Ariane

I believe that Joel was right. If you don't want to, you shouldn't have to. He was right to forfeit it if he didn't want to wrestle her. He had to make the choice, and I admire him for that.

February 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  286. Ashley

I think it was his choice. It doesn't matter but he has to remember that he was the one that gave up just because he didn't want to wrestle a girl.

February 25, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  287. Jade

It's his choice his choice is his choice and NO! one should pick for him. his life let him chose own path and DON'T chose for him.

February 25, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  288. Ryan

Its his choice no ones elses

February 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
  289. Tristen

Decisions are decisions. It was his choice to forfeit.

February 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
  290. Lorena

I think that he should not wrestle the girl because...If he respects all girls then he wont do it. Its not the right thing to hit a girl if you wont do it in front of a cope or your mom then you wont do it at all.

February 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  291. riku

I think if his religious beleifs dont allow him to wrestle a girl then allow him to be with his beleifs and dont make a fool of him. It is just wrong to go against your beleifs just to wrestle. What if you were that kid? How would you say that you cant wrestle her and have all the shame come to you? The kid was doing a move most kids wont do. He stood up for himself and that is all that he need to do is stand up and say i dont care what people say I am not wrestling this girl because of my beleifs.

February 25, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  292. haha

i think any body can wrestle.not just certain people.

February 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  293. patrick

I think that it was okay for him not wanting to wrestle. we all have freedom of religion and that people should respect that.

February 25, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  294. Blair

I think the guy needs to understand that this is a sport, not a religion, and that if you signed up for a sport, you would have to understand that you might have to do something like that.

February 25, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  295. cathy:)

dont go against your beleifs to do a stupid sport!!! it is truly no worth it!!!!

February 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  296. Ashlee

I agree with him beacuse his religon should be more important than wrestling 🙂

February 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  297. Ivy

I think he should have let her wrestle because by not wrestling her it is destroying her life long dream.

February 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  298. Sydney

Girls are completely equal in the sport of wresting. If you are a wresteler, you should expect to wrestle anybody, including girls.

February 25, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  299. Alex

I agree with Joel's decision. It was his choice to choose to wrestle her, and he didn't feel comfortable wrestling a girl. People shouldn't have taken this choice to the news and the people shouldn't really be concerned with it either. The girl got to advance anyways.

February 25, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  300. cody

he did the rite thing if that is hat he wants if he felt other wise then that is his choice because he has to remember that it is just a game . and that if it were real then that would depend on what she did because i think that the no hitting girls thing is stupid so he should do what is rite

February 25, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  301. sam

IT is not right to hit a female. your mom should have taught your better than that

February 25, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  302. Sam

I think that it was his desision to wrestle a girl. I also think that if i was put into that situation I problably wouldn't have wrestled a girl, because if you win it just makes her feel bad, and if you lose, you just got beat by a girl.

February 25, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  303. michelle

if he does not wan't to fight a girl, he shouldint but its a religion- don't make him fight!!!!

February 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  304. Heather

Well if its belief that a girl cant wrestle, then he was wrong. but if it was religon then thats fine, good even.

February 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  305. mariah

I think he made the right decision because he fallowed his feallings and religon not what every6 body else thinks.

February 25, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  306. Jason

iIagree with the boy becuase if he went agianst her and won he would have been bullyed. On the other hand if he lost he would get picked on.

February 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  307. Penelope

I think that NOT figthing the girl, Cassy, was the most brave thing possible to do. He probably has received his fair share (in fact, plenty more than his fair share) of ridicule by now, by the media and even by his friends. If it was against his religious beliefs, then, as is stated in the Constitution, he has freedom of religion and should be free to choose not to wrestle a girl because his religion doesn't allow it. If it was just an excuse, however, and it isn't against his religious beliefs, then that is stupid, but understandable, because he probably didn't want to be teased for being "beaten by a girl."

February 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  308. Camryn

I did not agree with Joel's decision to not wrestle Cassy. He said it he woulnd't due to his religion, but who said he was touching her in THAT way? She signed up to wrestle, so I think she should have a fair shot at it. I think he didn't wrestle her mstly because of his religion, but he may not have understood that portion of the religion. It is only bad doing that with wrong intent.

February 25, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
  309. ashlea

He was in a spot to were he had to ether go with his heart are go with his friends . i would have done the same thing if i was a boy . i cant wrestle any buty unless there a 3 year old . but he has to lissen to what he wants not any buty elce

February 25, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  310. Andy

I think he did the right thing choosing not to wrestle the girl....

February 25, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  311. Sophie

I think that Joel had every right not to wrestle Cassy. I don't think that anyone should have do do something that goes against his or her religious beliefs.

February 25, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  312. Allieson

I definitely dont agree! I respect him for following his religion but juts because she's a girl doesn't mean she cant fight!!! I can beat every guy in my class at arm wrestling!! So I think girls can be just as strong as guys.

February 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  313. Cody

It is Joel's choice whether or not he wants to wrestle the girl. If he doesn't want to he doesn't have to. I would say no, just because I woudn't want to hurt her. It is our choice. Life is full of choices Joel so choose the one for you.

February 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  314. Alexsis

Its kind of a moral thing, religion or not its moraly wrong to put your hands on a girl in anyway. I'm glad he made the desision he did. It was very brave and guys should look up to him for it.

February 25, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  315. austin

this kid is in high school and cant wrestle a girl. he needs to grow up and wrestle. i wrestle in my school and didn't forfiet from a girl.

February 25, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
  316. Gillian

If it was for religious beliefs then yes i agree, but if it were not for religious beliefs then i do not think it would be necessary or respectful to do so. We need to be treated equally and if girls can fight them then then boys should be able to fight us.

February 25, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
  317. Brenden

To be honest I think it was his own choice. He should not have been disqualified for his personal belief. To be honest I now have the up most respect for this person and the big decision he had to face.

February 25, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
  318. Andrew

I think that the person should totally be respected by others for not fighting a girl, it takes a big man to back down from that.

February 25, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
  319. kimberly

i think if he does not want to then he does not.But if you don't your a baby.

February 25, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
  320. Lexie K.

I think that it is just a sport, so it shouldn't matter... inless of course a boy is afraid of getting beat by the girl in a match.

February 26, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  321. Ashley

Wrestling isn't really fighting, but it's still an inappropriate sport for girls and guys to compete in against each other. If it was girl versus girl, it would probably be okay.

February 26, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  322. stephen

i think that what he did was smart but in this case i think religion should not have effected his decision.

February 26, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  323. Laura

I think he made a great decision due to his religion. Religion means a lot to a lot of people, I know it does to me. If somebody wants to foreit it's there choice.

February 26, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  324. Jordin

I think that it is unreasonable for a guy not to wrestle a girl, because a girl can be just as strong,fast,athletic,etc. as a guy. If a girl feels okay with getting hit once in a while by a guy then I think that they should have the right to wrestle a guy without him forfeiting.

February 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  325. reagan

its his choice wether joel wants to wrestle cassy besides hes a boy if joel had decided to wrestle cassy .Cassy would have ended up hurting real bad .Joel probably did not want to hurt cassy .SO LEAVE HIM BE HE AGAIN DID NOT WANT TO HURT CASSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 26, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  326. Caresse

There should be a team of wrestleing boys & a team of wrestleing girls.That would make alot a sense to me if I was on the team of wrestleing girls.

February 26, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  327. Leandra

Well i mean he was right cuz its a brave thing to doo but like she qualified so he shouldaa

February 26, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  328. Jose

I think the kid who was going to wrestle the girl made a good decision about not fighting her.i would have done the same thing if i was him and i think he made that decision because maybe he didn't want to hurt her but what I think is that most males like to be challenged and by fighting a girl they wouldn't be satisfied

February 26, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  329. jennifer

Yeah, if his religion stops him from doing so, then he's doing the right thing..if I were Joel, I would definitely go with my religion. 🙂

February 27, 2011 at 7:06 am |
  330. Pauline

I totally agree with Joel because he is faithful to his beliefs and because for me it's like a sign of respect toward Casey.

February 27, 2011 at 9:09 am |
  331. Ashley

I beleive that he had the right to stand up for his religous veiws, and if he did not want to wrestle a girl because of that he had every right not to. i think he did whats right and everyone should just stop calling him a wimp because it takes a real man to stand up and say NO then to just follow the crowd. and to everyone who is calling him a wimp, i dont think that they would have the same courage he did to say no.

February 27, 2011 at 9:59 am |
  332. Acacia

I think he made a good decsion not to wreslte cause it took a lot of courage to stand up there and not wreslte and that is what true courage is. but i think there should be a wresling team for girls and guys sperately. cause girls can do the same sport as any guy can

February 27, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  333. Calvin

i believe that he has the right to wrestle her or not, but what if the girl is the same way whether or not he made a good choice, but he will get made fun off or harassed by other people it happens to kids at my school a lot I'm not saying should of, I'm just saying that sometimes life come two roads the could end badly both ways

February 27, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  334. Sammie

I beieve wth his decision because if it is against his religious beliefs and religion is that important to him then he should be able to do what is important with no criticism.
    I do not beieve with his decision becase if the girl is putting herself out there to fight then i believe he should fight her.

February 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  335. Isabelle

I think that if the boy wrestles the girl and he wins he'll be called the jerk who beat up a girl, but if he loses he'll be called the wimp who got beat by a girl and get bullyed either way so if I were the boy I would say no too.

February 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  336. Morgann

It was definetly Joel's choice, If i was a boy and I had to wrestle a girl I would say no. It was his choice and if thats his belief's than thats his belifes no one should make him change that!

February 27, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  337. nate

i think he did the wrong thing because it was her choice to wrestle so he should of wrestled her if it was her choice.

February 27, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  338. Tori

The regulation give permission that man can wrestle woman. The wrestler should obey it, the decesion of not wrestling Cassy is not responsible to the spectator.

February 27, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  339. Patrick

what i would do if i was joel is back down from the fight because it's not right to fight a girl.That's the proper thing i would do because i'm a gentlemen.

February 27, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  340. Meredith

I think that he made the right decision. However, the fact that it was for religious purposes is not legit. He obviously either didn't want to hurt her and risk being teased about beating up a girl, or risk being beaten up by a girl and mocked even worse for that. Even thought, it probably wasn't for religious reasons, I think he made the right decision in the end.

February 28, 2011 at 12:15 am |
  341. Dalyn

I think you have to look at it from both point of views. In the guys defense, he was just trying to be nice and follow the rule a guy should not hit a girl,but the girl was there to wrestle and she was going to wrestle him. So I don't think he made the right decision, nor the wrong. It just depends on how you look at it.

February 28, 2011 at 6:07 am |
  342. Stephanie

No one should have to be forced to do something that is against their beliefs. That is just wrong.

February 28, 2011 at 8:41 am |
  343. Brittany

Well I don't agree with this because if a girl knows that she is up to wrestle against a boy and she still wants to do it let her it is her choice.... and if the boy doesn't want to wrestle her that his choice.. because boys and girls are not that different when it comes to sports because boys and girls are capable of doing the same things i mean who knows maybe you will like it... don't knock it till ya try it!

February 28, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  344. Alyssa

I agree with the boy's decision because some males don't liike hitting a girl if its a sport or not. I honestly think that he made the best decision!!!!

February 28, 2011 at 9:24 am |
  345. jordan

i think it wouldnt be right to wrestle a girl but if you had to let her win and deal with ur freinds after the fact because letting her win is being the real man in that situation.

February 28, 2011 at 10:19 am |
  346. Ke$ha

I think that he should of fought the girl. She got in to wrestleing knowing she was going to wrestle guys.

February 28, 2011 at 10:20 am |
  347. samyra

I think he did the right thing because boys are not supposed to hit or touch girls. It wouldnt be right for him to wrestle a girl.

February 28, 2011 at 10:20 am |
  348. Tatyana:)

I think that its very brave of him because thats his religion. He believes in what he believes in and he respects that!

February 28, 2011 at 10:21 am |
  349. Ostin

I think that if a girl wants to be on the wresling team she can. so that you should not treat her like a girl.

February 28, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  350. Stephanie

I would agree because I do not believe that wrestling with the opposite gender is apporite.

February 28, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  351. Fiala

I do not agree with his choice to not wrestle a girl. Even though religon is important, it's insulting to the girl if you do not wrestle her. He may not have ment it, but it makes it seem like he didn't want to fight her just because she was a girl.

February 28, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  352. legit

The girl tried out, she want to wrestle so she should be able to, but itz his disision and she wins....

February 28, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  353. Kirstie

I think that boys and girls are equal, but they should not fight. Boys can be a litle to rough and i think that no matter what boys should not fight girls.

February 28, 2011 at 10:24 am |
  354. Antonio

I think it was a wrong choice because the guy was there too wrestle no matter who and the girl was there to wrestle not win by default.

February 28, 2011 at 10:24 am |
  355. Ariel

I think he should fight the girl. Because almost tha girls abuse of the boy because they cant not hit them. I think he should beat her. They well learn a lesson to not abuse about boys cant hit them.

February 28, 2011 at 10:24 am |
  356. cheyanne

I agree with his choice to not wrestle a girl because he is only honoring his heratige. If he doesn't want to he doesnt have to. I also dishonor his choice because when he chose not to wrestle the girl, he might have offended her.

February 28, 2011 at 10:24 am |
  357. Graciela

I think I would also let the girl win because I don’t think that it would be wrong to wrestle with a girl in a wrestling match. On the girls side I would want to wrestle him because it’ll be a challenge for me.

February 28, 2011 at 10:25 am |
  358. Jordan and Ever

We think the guy has a right to follow his the religion no matter what

February 28, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  359. Miguel

I think I would have layed down and let her pin me. I know I would lose but i just can't hit a girl. It would feel weird and I would be called a women beater !!! My mom tought me better then that.

February 28, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  360. leybis

I think that it is a bad idea that a guy has to wrestle a girl. Either way they will being talking about him because he did wrestle the girl and they will all so be talking about that he gave up but it is there decision if they want or not to win

February 28, 2011 at 10:28 am |
  361. Gioani

February 28, 2011 at 10:28 am |
  362. cristal

i think its a bad idea because if the girl won he would be tease at and if he won they would say bad stuff to him like he wreslte a girl but its his decision if he wants to or not wrestle her.

February 28, 2011 at 10:29 am |
  363. francisco

i would wrestle a girl because it was their decissoin to join the wrestling club.still i would wrestle her still cause she joined wrestling to wrestle so yeah i would wrestle her

February 28, 2011 at 10:29 am |
  364. F3LiPE

i think the boy should wresle the girl so that she learn her lesson so that she wont try out n y did she tryout if no one was going to compete against her! 😀 :O

February 28, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  365. Marissa

I think that the boy was very responsible for not wrestling the girl. If that is what he believes in, then he shoudn't have to go against it. He's a brave young boy.

February 28, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  366. connor

if she made it that far in a tournament she was good she knew what she was doing. not only that she knew what she was getting in to when she chose to do that sport. that being said i would have no problem wrestling a girl have to have done so in the past.

February 28, 2011 at 11:38 am |
  367. Nicole

That's kind of affensive to girls... i mean, if she was a guy would he have westled him? probably. but its his decision and no one else can make it for him...

February 28, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
  368. Zeytun

Well In general I think it is not fair
    not to wrestle girl anyway she is a human
    so should have the same rights but I think it was
    rights of the guy to follow his beliefs.

February 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  369. Dalton

If the girl wasn't scared to wrestle a guy, she wouldn't be on the wrestlng team. I think they should wrestle, or she should get off the team.

February 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  370. J.C

i respect that he chose not to wrestle her but not that boys can't wrestle girls. it's unfair, sexist, and boys don't need to be so sensitive about wrestling girls. girls and boys can wrestle each other and girls don't need to be seen as weak or fragile unless they say so. well we are fragile but not in a way that boys have to treat us like sheet glass.

February 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  371. jaqcarvious

February 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  372. Jarod

I don't think it's a big deal, if he didn't want to wrestle then he doesn't have to. I respect him because I would never hit a girl and neither she any other boy. It's inhumane and not accepted in our society

February 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  373. Clark

I really can't choose. i think it was right not to wrestle a girl, but then the girl sighed up so shes got to be ready to take a hit.

February 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  374. Sarah

He had every right not to wrestle the girl. The constitution states that evrye person should have freedom of religion if it was against his religion he should be praised for backing down.

February 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  375. Claire

Just because we are girls doesnt mean we arnt as tough as guys! and the guy could either a) loes to the girl b) creamed by the girl,

February 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm |