.
December 5th, 2010

Social Experiment

For one week, more than 400 Washington state students, teachers and school staff members are promising to unplug.  That means no texting, no Facebook, no Twitter, no cell phones.  It's all about encouraging face-to-face communication... but is it possible today?  What's the longest you could stay unplugged?

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Mariah

I think that is stupid if they get rid of facebook

December 5, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  2. Evan

I've been staying unplugged for a good week. It feels nice to do something else like smell the fresh air or read a good novel.

December 5, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  3. Kate

I personally think that it is difficult to stay "unplugged" for a day, let alone an entire week! The longest i could stay unplugged is, well, probably a day at the most. I think that tecnology is great and that we should embrace it, not push it away.

December 5, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  4. Corey

I admit it that almost everyone uses electricity, maybe we should think about switching to solar power.

December 5, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
  5. Michelle

The longest I could go for being unplugged would be at least 9 yrs, because I was born without technology and did not want to use till I was nine.

December 5, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  6. Nichole

I think this a great idea because for all the people who are so attached to electronics, it might make them realize there is much more to see in the world when you put down the screen. Although this is a great idea, it must have been hard. Now in school there is a lot of homework on the Internet like blogging and research. I know that without the Internet, there would be a lot of "missing" homework assignments.

December 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  7. Abby

I think I could probably stay "unplugged" for about two or three weeks. I think this is a really cool experiment because there are a ton of kids I know who couldn't go a day with out facebook or xbox live.

December 5, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  8. Christopher

I just recently received a cell phone, and in the time I have had it I have limited myself to the number of texts or calls I make. I could go my entire life without using a cell phone or a computer, but in today's society its impossible to succeed without using today's accommodations such as cell phones or computers. Its inevitable, in such a statement, that we must have such accommodations in our day-to-day lives in order to succeed, and its unfortunate that we need technology to live in our world and to do our daily routines. So its impossible to be fully unplugged, but we all can manage the amount we use technology, till we as a society are capable of face-to-face communication.

December 5, 2010 at 7:58 pm |
  9. nathan

i would be bored and it wouldnt be a good thing for me couldnt live without a cellphone

December 5, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  10. muaz

I can stay unplugged for about a day. that is the most!!!

December 5, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  11. Andrea

wow no electronics well i could only go about three days but i have to say whoever came up with that idea is really smart! kids would must likely go to sleep earlier and therefore becoming more focused in class. If it works out that way maybe the whole school could try it for a month and that will probably be the best month that school has.

December 5, 2010 at 8:09 pm |
  12. Emily

I think that I could stay unplugged forever. How do you think people made it without CELL PHONES and TEXTING?? They went outside. They did things that didn't give them cancer. Even in my parents childhood they spent most of their free time outside. People these days are so addicted to cell phones and texting that they have ZERO face-to-face communication. I think it is 100% possible if people really try.

December 5, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  13. Emily

I don't text or use twitter, of use face book, and I don't have a cell phone. It is completely possible if people really try.

December 5, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  14. Masaki

Well for one it's a good idea but sometimes if us kids don't get what we want the most like cellphones or Internet we intend to focus less because we don't know what we're focusing for like for an example [where we are] the teachers take your phones in the beginning of the day so we won't use them and so we can focus....

December 5, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
  15. Ben

It all depends on what's happening in your life. I have a family member that's not well, and I would like to communicate to them. Especially because they are in a different state. So I could not just drop it without a lot of motivation.

December 5, 2010 at 8:57 pm |
  16. Alyssa

I would be relieved to get my parents up and on their feet. My life is all technology, since my dad works at a place that works with technology every day. I play the wii, I watch TV, I talk on the phone, and play on the computer 24/7. But if it can get my parents off of the couch, I'll go for it for a whole week. It allows us all to get more active, and spend more time with each other.

December 5, 2010 at 9:40 pm |
  17. Aaron

I think texting/facebook or twitter are fun but all those things could be dangerous. Because there could be weirdos or unkind people! plus I think those things could be a distraction against school,work,or time...

December 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  18. Rigo

I think Americans today are so modernized, we couldn't even stay off technology for a day. I think we have to use social networks and cell phones to communicate with people who we can't see face-to-face, but it's worth giving a try.

December 5, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  19. Nate

I don't have Facebook, twitter, I have testing but I don't text alot so I could go a very long time.

December 5, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  20. Tracey

I think that these days, no one could live without anything electrontical.

December 5, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  21. Jasmine

The longest I have done it? 2 weeks and that was pretty hard. So the longest I could do it is probably 3 weeks tops.

December 5, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
  22. Maria

For today's society, I don't think it's possible, maybe for a hour. We are so used to communicating through facebook and texting that face to face talking doesn't come to mind at first, sure we have Apple's new phone and the Evo 4g, but it's still not the same.

December 5, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  23. Brian

Even though I play on the computer at least almost 8 Hrs a day or more, I would go out and hang out with my friends ever so often so i think its a good idea to ban it.

December 6, 2010 at 12:12 am |
  24. Francesca

In a world so dependent on technology and social networking, this might not work. I know that for my student government, I have to have my phone for quick communication with my fellow officers, so that would make this nearly impossible for me. But I wish the best of luck for these kids, and all my friends taking part in this!

I predict that what will end up happening is that those who succeed will get better at planning.

December 6, 2010 at 12:48 am |
  25. Venezia

I am an internet freak. I probably couldn't last one day without the internet, it's how i stay in touch with my sisters and friends, i would die without internet. I could not stay unplugged.

December 6, 2010 at 12:53 am |
  26. Isabel

This is insane! Why is it that teens never get a say in what they want? There are so many other things we should be worrying about and this subject is not one of them. I strongly disagree with what they are trying to do. Let's focus on something we should that we REALLY need to establish instead of this nonsense.

December 6, 2010 at 1:21 am |
  27. panda

i could stay a few day but i couldn't hold unplug everyday, i think there has to moderate harmony between face to face communication and plugged communication. like use plugged communication to really need.

December 6, 2010 at 6:13 am |
  28. Savannah-Marie

That would be easy because I don't have Facebook or a phone.

December 6, 2010 at 6:19 am |

The longest I could go unplugged is about............ a week. It was really hard to stay off the phone but i had alittle more fun without my phone.

December 6, 2010 at 6:25 am |
  30. Rhianon

i could only stay off my cell phone for maybe a day.. i gotta text my friends.

December 6, 2010 at 7:58 am |
  31. Dakota

I could go everyday because I don't have a Facebook or a cell phone but people need to stay off as long as they can because of course people get bored and depend on these types of communications but finding other ways to communicate is a way to have some fun even if it takes a long time.

December 6, 2010 at 7:58 am |
  32. Jio

Every Mondays, I can't use any electronic devices. I can't play computer,I can only watch TV little while, and I can't do cell phones either. That day, I just read books or I hang out with friends. The good thing is that I can watch CNN student news!

December 6, 2010 at 8:00 am |
  33. Leira.

iThink This Crazy!
    The Lonqest I Can Stay unpluged is a day.

December 6, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  34. jack

i think that he should not have called called him out

December 6, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  35. Kai-Lin

I think it will be good for them. I think so because everyone like relies on their technology. Like everyone can't just go up to their friends and say hi they need to text them that. Also like everyone always needs to get to just use their voice instead of always using technology.

December 6, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  36. dimitrius

i think the students were kidding when they said that they would give up they're cell phones and thats a good goal to make but still they should not have cell phones in school in the first place

December 6, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  37. AJ

i could probably last atleast a month if i really tried. i find tht really smart for those 400 people to do this

December 6, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  38. Julianna

I think its a good idea it will make the kids have to do something active to keep them selfs busy so they will be healthy and when they get to go back on Facebook, Twitter, and There Cell Phones the won't use it as much anymore.

December 6, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  39. marcella

i think this will be good for them because not everyone has a phone or a facebook its better to just socialize with people in person not through a phone or a computer

December 6, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  40. Muffin

The idea of the experiment is great. but how would kids contact there parents in a time of need. like say you got sick or something like that.
    I thinks the spy idea is going to far what if he or she scares you mom or dad. But it sounds like it would be a good science experiment.

December 6, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  41. Christian

I think its stupid the world now in our modern society revolves around technology you see it in stores,homes,gas station, and even in hospitals all over the U.S. They can take a break but I don't think that it shouldn't go for the whole U.S.

December 6, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  42. jaret

i think this will be a good thing for them it isn't going to hurt them or anything. i think that if they just talk to the people in the room they will do it after.

December 6, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  43. savannah

i think i could stay unplugged for about a few weeks i cant stand not having my phone or going on Facebook. I think its a good idea so people can actually talk to people face to face and not going on Facebook all the time to see whats going on with there friends or texting them.

December 6, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  44. Jake

I could probely make it a couple of days but it would stink.

December 6, 2010 at 9:22 am |
  45. sidnee

i could probably stay unplugged for a long time because i don't do any of that.

December 6, 2010 at 9:23 am |
  46. Kaylee

The longest I could stay without my phone and Facebook is probably 1 hour. I wouldn't want to give up my phone for anything (except maybe for a million dollars.) I use it all the time!!!!

December 6, 2010 at 9:23 am |
  47. Anna

I probably couldn't do it for too long, I couldn't stand not calling people or talking to them on Facebook. I could probably go for 2 days.

December 6, 2010 at 9:24 am |
  48. Rachel

I would say I could do it a if I was in troble and could not go on the computer I could go for 2 days. I would go nuts after that. So, I could maybe never do it.

December 6, 2010 at 9:24 am |
  49. braeden

I don't even have a cell phone so I don't care that much

December 6, 2010 at 9:25 am |
  50. Olivia

I dont think i would live to see another day if i didnt have my cell phone for one day.

December 6, 2010 at 9:26 am |
  51. david

I think I could do 4 years because I don't have either

and have other things to do. because I live on a farm and work

more and because work is fun.

December 6, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  52. Paeton

I dont have a cell phone or facebook anyway so i could go a long time without them

December 6, 2010 at 9:37 am |
  53. Sammy

I almost never use my phone, and I don't have a twitter or facebook account, so I think I could stay out of it for much longer than most people.

December 6, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  54. Brandon

I think some will make it but others will use there parents phones or other relatives

December 6, 2010 at 10:17 am |
  55. Michael

I can stay unplugged but not very long. i was grounded for a month and i couldnt do anything so that means no phone,no computer. But i think its good that there encouraging face-to-face communication.

December 6, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  56. Clive

The first few days would be the worst without a cell. After a while though I think it would be kind of peaceful not having everybody know where you are or what you’re doing all the time. I don’t know if I could make it without ESPN on the internet or TV, though. It would be tough.

December 6, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  57. Jacqueline

I think this experiment could give the students a chance to see how life would be without all the modern technology of the day. Hopefully by the end of the week, they will be conversing more with real people rather than a lifeless screen.

December 6, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  58. Room 16

As a group it was hard to come to a conclusion as to who could unplug. Some of us are totally plugged in that it's our life. Some of us said we could take the pledge. It's going to take trust to see if the Washington students and school staff keep their pledge. Also will there be a little cheating?

December 6, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  59. Ethan

It seems like a good experiment to see how much of a difference student's normal communication with texting, facebook,etc and how much their social patterns will change without their normal ways of communication but I woud most likely be able to stay unplugged for about a month.

December 6, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  60. camn

while your at it ban movies tv music video games and all electronic devices plze.

December 6, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  61. Jordan

I would not be able to go without texting, my cell phone, or facebooking, that is how I keep in touch with all of my friends, but I wish them good luck to make it all th way to the end.

December 6, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  62. Ayden

I have lived 13 yaers without facebook, a cell phone, or twitter, it should not be that hard of a task for these 400 people, it's almost sad that they think a week without a cell phone is a big deal.

December 6, 2010 at 11:02 am |
  63. Gisele

I think it's definitely impossible in these days.The social platforms have already involved with complexity in our daily life.I am hard put to eradicate my Facebook,e-mail and so on.Besides, my mom may be the first one get crazy if I stay unplugged ,or turn off my cellphone.

December 6, 2010 at 11:02 am |
  64. Mahala

I could probley only stay unplugged from when school begins to when school ends, I have to do it everyday anyway, but then in the mornings before school and then in the afternoons after school I usually am on the computer, or my cellphone.

December 6, 2010 at 11:18 am |
  65. Austin

Probally about 15 minutes.

December 6, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  66. aliciA

I would say i could stay unplugged for a mounth i think because i really love Facebook and Myspace and Twitter and every web site i go to!

December 6, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  67. Natajai

I would do it for at least a day no longer it's too hard.

December 6, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  68. chris

i thnk that i could go unplugged for a month

December 6, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  69. Shane

I think that I could go about 1 month with none of this stuff because 1 I don't even use a facebook or a cell phone, I use my home phone if it is an emergency .

December 6, 2010 at 11:34 am |
  70. Tristan

The longest i could stay unplugged would be about 3-4 weeks because i really dont generaly check my Facebook, I don't have a Twitter, and I don't have a cell phone, yes my parents are some what old school but i agree it will help me in the long run.

December 6, 2010 at 11:34 am |
  71. destiney

i think it is a good idea for no cell phones or facebook or twitter in school i can go 4weekes and and 24 houres with out geting on facebook or twitter

December 6, 2010 at 11:34 am |
  72. Catherine's Class

I think it's possible for people who are a bit older. Many of them are still getting used to technology and all of the different ways to communicate. We've grown up with it. As far as technology goes, it's all we've ever known. I think I would be able to last about a week and a half, two weeks if I'm lucky. It's sad to say but, we've become accustomed to having electronics communicate for us. Maybe the social experiment will change some bad habits. That would be a good thing.

December 6, 2010 at 11:34 am |
  73. Zach

I could for about 1 week tops. Between Facebook, my phone, and Myspace, I am constantly plugged in.

December 6, 2010 at 11:34 am |
  74. dylan

i could stay unplugged for a week because when i get grounded im use to it but if im ungrounded i could stay off for 2 hours i need my phone.

December 6, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  75. Evan

I have done this before so to me it isn't a problem, but with all this new technology, people are getting addicted to their phones and computer's, making face to face communication with them and there friend's useless. This can be a problem for people's social life. The longest I could stay unplugged is for years and years.

December 6, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  76. Cassie.

I could probably go with out facebook, twitter, or cellphones for more then a week, but I couldn't go two hours with out texting. It's how I talk to my friends when i'm grounded or if they live out of state.

December 6, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  77. david

i think it is a good idea and that they will be able to do it and it could also save them some money on things like there internet/eletrical bill.

December 6, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  78. carnan

This is the best new I have ever been heard recently.After the all these communuciation stuff we realll forgot our value ,friendship most importantly we addicted this stuff.I hope it will scatter all place and world..

December 6, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  79. ♥Kim♥

well i could do it for about a month cuz i dont have a cell phone or a computer but if i did i dont think i would last a day!but i think that its very smart thing to do!

December 6, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  80. Corbin

I could not stay uplugged in my school .Were all about electronics

December 6, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  81. Victoria,.

I think that it's smart, because personally I am a crazy texter I always am texting but if our school did that experiment then I would take a break from texting and my Facebook and MySpace, even though it will be hard not to talk to friend's it would probably make my communication with people better and teach kid's that sometimes you have to talk to people you can't just text them, chat them, or message them because I barley ever call people and actually talk to them which some conversations are private but it would be interesting to see how people would react.

December 6, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  82. DaeQuan

I couldnt go without facebook and texting for about a week or so because their both are so addicting.

December 6, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  83. Ms. Tan

I am not sure if I could stay "unplugged" for one week with my cell phone..only because it is the only form of communication that I have at home. As far as the internet and social media, I can very go weeks without having access to it.

December 6, 2010 at 11:39 am |
  84. Emily

I could stay unplugged for months I dont have a twitter or a facebook. I have a phone but I could last without it.

December 6, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  85. Randy

i think that it shows effort to make future generations less technology based and gives students a more intiment conversations with friends and family

December 6, 2010 at 11:49 am |
  86. Jen

I couldnt last without facebook for a day because I get home I grab something to eat and sit on the computer and go on facebook. Its so natural for me that whenever i'm at school and i open up internet explorer i naturaly type in facebook then I catch myself.

Also i could only last about 2 days with my phone. I normaly get my phone back in about a day or two because i'm going to go somewhere and I need to let my parents know when or where i'll be going with my friends.

December 6, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  87. Greg

i think that by doing that we will get more people to talk to each other but at the same time we have grown up with all this tech and alot of people would probably go mad with out the cell phone or computer. but me personally i could not even last one day with out my cell or laptop.

December 6, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  88. Emma

I don't have a twitter or a facebook and I don't have a phone. I could live unplugged forever.

December 6, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
  89. Sara

Yes it could be done because back in the day that is what we did, and with a house phone we could still communicate. The longest I could stay unplugged for probably about a few months or so.

December 6, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
  90. Sherease

Yes, because one day you have to meet somebody that wants to see you. I can stay unplugged without facebook, twitter, and a phone for a week.

December 6, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  91. Antuan

Yes, if people could just stop being ashamed or embarrassed to talk face with people. Back before texting or facebook, the way that people met each other was by face to face, not the internet or by using a wingman, back in the day it just seemed that people had more courage.

December 6, 2010 at 12:13 pm |
  92. Jordyn

Yes, because that is what causes most problems now in life. My opinion I think life would be much better and enjoyable without technology. I probably could go about a month without it. Even though you would have a house phone, I think you could be without it for a long time.

December 6, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  93. Lisa

It isn't possible because today we cannot survive without the internet, facebook, cell phones, etc. because we as a society have become so dependent and cannot live without technology and now we are afraid of speaking to people face to face.

December 6, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  94. Cassie

I have never texted, I don't have facebook or twitter and I don't have a cell phone, so I could go on forever!

December 6, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  95. Shila

We're losing our people skills! It's so much easier to send a text than to look someone in the face or pick up a phone. It needs to change! Bravo to you guys for going unplugged!

December 6, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
  96. Shynna

I personally think that communicating face to face is easier and doesn't cost money. Personally, I CAN NOT LIVE WITHOUT MY CELLPHONE! It is very helpful and useful.

December 6, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
  97. Nish's class

Out of 28 students, only one could go for longer than 3 months. Most of us agree that we could go "unplugged" for a week. After a week of being unplugged, we predict that people may become depressed, may miss out high school drama, may miss long distance friends, and may be more aware of what is happening around them.

December 6, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
  98. Amber

I think this experiment is a great idea! I know that I am guilty of spending to much time glued to Facebook or my cell phone. I think this society has become so technologically savvy that majority of our time is consumed by it. Face-to-face communication and interaction is vital for a healthy lifestyle. So America, UNPLUG!

December 6, 2010 at 12:43 pm |
  99. Isaac

it's very easy to live without electronics. there was an 8 month period where i went without any electronics. you learn to make adjustments.

December 6, 2010 at 12:50 pm |
  100. kaleb

I personally could live without texting,facebook and twitter, i just could not live without making calls and listening to music.

December 6, 2010 at 12:52 pm |

I am 17 years old and don't have a phone or computer and doing fine. I was never really into the texting or my space.

December 6, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
  102. james

It wouldn't be that hared to stay unplugged. I don't do a lot of media anyway. I dont think people who have a facebook page could stay away because there are a lot of ads that say new aspects of facebook.

December 6, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
  103. Eva

I don't think I could go without cellphones or computers...I don't like this experiment.

December 6, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
  104. Ben

I would probably last about a week without my iTouch or computer. I don't think you shoud be on your phone 24/7 because you can talk to your friends face to face.

December 6, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
  105. Trissy

I would only survive a week! I need to communicate with people 24/7! Whether face-to-face, cellphone, text, facebook or twitter.

December 6, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
  106. Hayes

This is a wierd thing they shouldn't have to be forced to give up electronicts if they do not want to

December 6, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
  107. Alec

I think the social experiment is a good idea because then you are not texting or facebooking when your are supposed to be doing your homework.

December 6, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
  108. DREW

The 1st ammendment says he is allowed to do that and I think a a football player you should be able to do that. Everyone should do that just for them to take away the penalty
    .

December 6, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
  109. Chelby

I think that it is a good thing even though i wouldn't be able to do it, I think it is true people really are losing the ability to talk face to face with people. All of the trash talking or breaking up with someone happends over text or online.

December 6, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
  110. paige

I think that this is a good idea. Technology is taking over our lives. Instead of going up and talking to someone you just txt them or facebook them. I would do this if there was something like this at my school.

December 6, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
  111. Tre

I couldn't survive a day! Even though i don't have a facebook, twitter, or a phone.

December 6, 2010 at 1:19 pm |
  112. Dick

Personally I could not last more than a day being"unplugged so I really would hate being the students doing this activity.

December 6, 2010 at 1:20 pm |
  113. Sassy

Twitter is to hard to understand. Facebook is my thing. My phone is pretty lame. I could survive a month.

December 6, 2010 at 1:20 pm |
  114. Rachel

I think that i could stay unplugged for at least a week or two. This is because i can talk to many of my friends at school. Another reasone is that i usually text people to see if they have their phone with them and they can text me. I only do that when i am bored. I also do not have a facebook or e-mail of my own. I am using my mom's e-mail because we can't figure out how to get another. I think other kids and teens should try to giveup there electronic devices. All electronic devices.

December 6, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  115. Dickson

I could survive a year. I don't use that kind of technology.

December 6, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  116. Piper

I wouldn't last a day without tech.

December 6, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  117. Luigi

i could go days being unplugged.........but only beacause i got my phone taken away

December 6, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
  118. nick

i would be able to to it for a few months or even a year

December 6, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  119. MATTHEW

i COUILD STAY UNPLUGGED FOR 6 WEEKS

December 6, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  120. Jason

I could probally only last a couple of hours. For kids in our time technology is a big part of pur life. It would be hard to live without a cell phone, Ipod , or computer to play with.

December 6, 2010 at 1:58 pm |
  121. Drew

I don't think it's impossible, just hard. People will try to use their electronics out of force pf habit. I am not sure I can last a week without my electronics. 6 days maybe, but not 7, because some of my school work involves electronics. Good luck Washington students!

December 6, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  122. Diane

I would like to "unplug" from the cell phone and facebook. But if I did this, I think I would be "unplugged" from my friends and family. It's the one consistent way we communicate.

December 6, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  123. Lane

I think that they should be able to go on be able to text so they all can talk without being loud

December 6, 2010 at 2:20 pm |
  124. monica

i think its a good thing but why not texting its an easier way to hold a conversation without acually talking

December 6, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  125. Lane

I think they should be able to text so they can talk without being loud

December 6, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  126. Brianna

I think it is possible today for most people if you are willing to try. But for some people they wouldn't be able to do it because it is there life and they think they would "die" without it. I think that it is very cool what them 400 students and teachers are doing!

December 6, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
  127. Ethan

I think i could stay unplugged for about 1 hour or five minutes depending on the situation because i admit i am a computer/facebook adicct

December 6, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
  128. troy

I don't think that I could do something like that for a week.

December 6, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  129. Evelyn

it might be possible today but if you really needed to talk to someone over seas then it would be praticly impossible. right now i just got a phone so i could probaly go without it for about 2 months

December 6, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  130. Codi

I think students should stay unplugged most of the time and it's a pretty good idea.

December 6, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
  131. Henry

as I go camping evey summer, i usually go about 8 days, so yeah, i could last a week or two. at most, i could proboaly go 3 weeks to 1 month

December 6, 2010 at 3:04 pm |
  132. Luce

Not for very long! However this initiative in Washington is quite likely to succeed: if all your friends are unplugged, then there's no point in getting plugged yourself! You have to, and you need to communicate face-to-face... Great idea actually!

December 6, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  133. Jamie

I think is a good idea because it a good way to get all the students focus in what they are doing at school and at home

December 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
  134. Elizabeth

i could stay unplugged probably 4 days, but i think its interesting that they are doing that kind of experiment

December 6, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
  135. Jamie's Class

Is it possible?

Yes, it is possible. It feels relaxing. – Cris

No, because what if there is an emergency? -Eddie

Yes, because at one point in time we did not have cellphones. -Sam

December 6, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  136. Annette

I think I can last for 8-15 hours a day. It's not easy, but I manage.

December 6, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  137. jamal

i think it is very hard for kids to go without technology because they're so used to having it with them in their daily lives it's almost as if they have to have it to function in the modern world.

December 6, 2010 at 3:30 pm |

I couldn't stay unplugged for very long as I am a constant worrier. I have to have my phone on me most all the time or I go crazy. I'm not a constant texter, but I do keep in touch with people that are most important in my life.

December 6, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
  139. Christian

i have to have my phone on me because i do not have a car and i am very busy with after school activities that i need a way to contact my parents and get a ride home

December 6, 2010 at 3:32 pm |
  140. alexis

i would not be able to do that...

December 6, 2010 at 3:32 pm |
  141. Corey

That would be hard for me. I use things like that all the time. I know my mother would like me to do that but I just couldn't.

December 6, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  142. David's Class

We pretty much agreed that there is no way we could go more than 2 or 3 days without using any social networwing. Although, most of us think it is sad that we are that addicted to social networking.

December 6, 2010 at 3:40 pm |
  143. nate

i dont think i could do anything without my cellphone they should keep there phones

December 6, 2010 at 3:43 pm |
  144. Maranda

I totally agree with this study. These days, students can't carry on a conversation. All they can do is text to each other. No offense of course though.

December 6, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
  145. robert

i would not be able to give up those things. i will not be able to give up those things because those things are how i keep in contact with my family.

December 6, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  146. marcus

I couldn't do it because i like my phone and i go to school i have enough face-to-face

December 6, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  147. Arkeith

Well, ithink they shouldnet do it !

December 6, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  148. Alpha

Students at our school said they could go an average of 37 days without social networking when I asked around. Though going without a cell phone the longest anyone said they could hold off is the time it takes to fully charge up.

December 6, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  149. Caitlin

I think it is good to interact instead of wasting time infront of a screen. You can learn other things that you would've never discovered, and hopefuly make nwe friends...

December 6, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  150. Saki

I think it is a good challenge. This is because students spend most of thier time with cell phone or SNS. Japanese should try to do so!!

December 6, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  151. Brooke

It would be easy for me to do. I don't go on the computer a lot, and my phone is only for emergencys. But, if tey are including TV then that might change my answer!

December 6, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  152. Megan

I would not be able to do this task. I need my cell phone and computer. If I tried I would probably last 8 hours. I don't think that the 400 students will last long if they are like me. Good Luck to all of them!

December 6, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  153. Brooke

I am torn on this because there is mutch more to life than just electronics. I think I could go about a week. On the other hand it eliminates many safety precoutions, like if a storm was comming how would we know?

December 6, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
  154. alexandria

It wouldn't be to hard for me.I don't have a Facebook or a Twitter,and my cell phone doesn't have minutes.If i was a principal for a school this would be a totally cool experiment.

December 6, 2010 at 4:48 pm |

Many people say that they couldn't go without Facebook, or Twitter, or Texting for even a day, and some people say it would be stupid to go without it. The reason why, is so many people have become adapted or addicted to things in life that taking them away would be taking out of chunk of their average day, which in my opinion, is horrifying to hear that this is how crazy people have come to for this.

December 6, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  156. Isabella

to be honest the longest I can stay "unplugged" is for about 1 week only, but thats only for facebook. For my phone is about 1 month, mainly because no one really calls me or texts me. But I think its good to not use texting, Facebook, Twitter, or no cell phones. Because people turn into monsters (bad people) if they use these technologys alot.

December 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  157. Katie :)

I think that it is amazing that these kids would be willing to unplug for a while. It's also smart of the teachers would have spies that would tell the teacher if they were using their phone, ipod, etc. I wish that our school would do that; that would be pretty cool to see what it was like living without my phone. 🙂

December 6, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  158. Anna

i think i could stay away from a cell and tv, but steering clear of the computer would be a real chalenge.all the same, its a great chalenge because face to face communication is best.

December 6, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  159. Jackson

The longest I could actually go unplugged would be a long time. My parents don't like the idea of children being on sites such as Twitter or Facebook and I support that. Why? Because the time you spend on websites like that could be time you can spend doing something worth while like PAYING ATTENTION IN CLASS! so when a big test comes you can prepare for it instead of chatting with a freind on Facebook.

December 6, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  160. alexandria

I could be "Unplugged" for a long time. My magazines and music entertain me for a while. After that my tv is cut on and working till i am asleep(if i go to sleep.)

December 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  161. kathryn

i believe that people can unplugged and not worry about face book or any our on internet sight for that mater i spend about a hour on twitter every day and i shouldnt.

December 6, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  162. Luhai

I think that it is kind of nice to have students talk face to face to eachother. On the other hand, the longest that I could stay unplugged is probably 2 days.

December 6, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  163. kathryn

also when that guy did the prayer after the touch down i would have done th same thing but only i would have droped the ball

December 6, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  164. sarah

i can stay unplugged for 3-4 years because thats how long i have to wait to get a cellphone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 6, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  165. jayne

I could stay "Unplugged" for a while i guess, if i had a good book by my side or it's pretty outside.

December 6, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  166. Claire

Staying "unplugged" would be hard for any American. We all use technology, and I think it is not only helpful but essential to our lives in a growing society. Even though students should have face to face communication, we shouldn't push technologies away. I could stay unplugged from the computer for longer than I could stay away from my cell phone, because I use my phone for my safety when my parents cannot be with me.

December 6, 2010 at 5:06 pm |
  167. riley

I could not live without my cell phone, but I can stay off of Facebook and Twitter for a long time. Just give me a really hard subject to work on during my spare time.

December 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  168. Danielle

I think it is good to take a break for a while but I guess sometimes it's ok to play or work on electronics depending on what it is.

December 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  169. Gerard

I can stay unplugged as long as I want. If I don't want to do electronics I just don't ask.

December 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  170. lindsey

Well I might be able to live without my cell phone. I don't care about my facebook, and i don't go on twitter. So i could proboly go 1 year without my phone without checking it. I know that I could go 1 year and 1 day wihout texting a word.

December 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  171. riley

i will ask my mom to turn my phone off.

December 6, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  172. sarah

the longest i have ever stayed off the internet was about 5 minutes

December 6, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  173. Julianna

I think it would be good to be unplugged for a little while to get the time to get outside and get fresh air. It would be good for you and your health!

December 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  174. Mariah

if you get rid of that for at least a week that would be cool,but then not vey easy for the children.hows that for a change.

December 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  175. Rachel

I think that i would not be able to stay off phone texting. I mean who could not?? But i thInk that i could at least try to save my mom SOME money!

December 6, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  176. elizabeth

i could stay unplugged for about 1 day but not for a full week. its just crazy to make a whole school district get off facebook myspace twitter and there phones

December 6, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  177. Daisy

I think it is a good idea because more people are spending time on computers and phones. I know from expriences right after school everyday on face book.

December 6, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  178. Carly

We all need a little time off for family and friends.It seems as if student's grades are slipping because of all of the time they spend on Facebook,Twitter,ect.I,peronaly need some time on the computer...but not too much.

December 6, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  179. Theresa

I could probably stay unplugged for over a year. 1) Because I don't have a facebook or twitter and 2) I have a cell phone but most of the time it sits on my desk or bookshelf dead or almost dead. I think though it might be harder for other people who use this stuff everyday but it's possible.

December 6, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  180. Leah

it will be hard but it be worth a try!

December 6, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  181. Shania

The only way I could ACTUALLY go unplugged, is if I really had to go unplugged. No facebook for 24-hours? No way!

December 6, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  182. jewel

like for a mounth but no facebook i cant live with out

December 6, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  183. Hunter

Since my cellphone and practicly everything else electronic is taken away from me, it would be hard to go a year without doing any of it. Of course, I would be baned from blogging here if I was to take it to action, so it would be somewhat hard

December 6, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  184. Charlie

i could stand being not able to use a cell phone or facebook. well one i don't have a cell phone and i am not that addicted to face book that some people.

December 6, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  185. Sydnee

Idon`t know if all the kids are going to be able to last very long.

December 6, 2010 at 6:53 pm |
  186. Terry

I could stay unplugged as long as I want to. I don't have a Facebook, I don't use Twitter, and I don't own a cell phone so there's no problem there. The only time I use the computer is for school work. And to take part in these wonderful online discussions.

December 6, 2010 at 7:00 pm |
  187. brittany

it is cool and all but some people text facebook and other things like that because they need to stay in touch so if they stop texting and things how are they going to keep in touch with family and friends?

December 6, 2010 at 7:01 pm |
  188. Andrea

Kids these days are completely dependent on technology. There is no way I or any other students in our society today could stay unplugged, but it's worth a try!

December 6, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  189. gabby

i think it is better for people to talk face to face but somethimes we really do NEED OUR CELLPHONES!!!!but the longest i HAVE gone is 2 months.

December 6, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  190. Rosey

I think that what they are doing is a good thing! My dad is always wanting me to just "talk face to face. Don't leave the task to technology." Well maybe I will now that I see 400 other students doing it.

December 6, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  191. Andy

I think staying "unplugged" is a difficult thing to do. I could probably stay a week without it. But i do appreciate the initiative taken by others to do so.

December 6, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  192. Paul

Really? The longest I could stay unplugged is probably 1 hour. I really can't stand being away from electronics!

December 6, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  193. Rachel

I think that most teens would not be able to handle it but If the majority of parents who have teens with cell phones the average money a family would have would go up.

December 6, 2010 at 7:39 pm |
  194. Madison

I don't have any of these things but the way my friends talk about it, I dont think I could go for long

December 6, 2010 at 7:43 pm |
  195. Caitlin

I can go a couple of days without social networking but then I start to miss it. I think that what these kids are doing is great and I wish that I could do it too.

December 6, 2010 at 7:49 pm |
  196. Michael

I used to live in the woods and I went without them for about 4 months. It's hard to use a phone with no reception.

December 6, 2010 at 7:50 pm |
  197. faye

If I had to give up computer and TV i would die. my dad says i watch to much TV

December 6, 2010 at 7:54 pm |
  198. Sophie

I think its a great idea cause every thing you do doesn't inovle electrontics. But how long can you stay way? One week is murder if your like me.

December 6, 2010 at 7:58 pm |
  199. faye

i don't have a cellphone and i am doing just fine i dont have a Facebook and i seem to be fine without both

December 6, 2010 at 7:59 pm |
  200. Alyssa

i think staying unplugged is a wonderful idea! in todays technology based society, it is important to maintain actual human bonds. i once went an entire month without electronics. i spent a summer at camp and there was no electronics allowed .it really allowed me to connect to my friends and relax.

December 6, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  201. dave

i have a facebook and i don't think i could do what these kids are doing i cant go a day without getting on facebook

December 6, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
  202. kenzie

The longest I've stayed unplugged from facebook at least is about 3 and I can probably just delete my facebook account or get rid of my phone. I think everyone has the power to stay off on facebook, twitter or the phone you just have to try I was getting to caught up in facebook it and it became a distraction so I stayed off for while. I think most kids should stay offline for awhile, it helps you connect with people and spend more time with the people you really care about not some virtual world.

December 6, 2010 at 8:02 pm |
  203. Cesia

I would totally do it! 🙂 For me to stay unplugged, it would be a week maybe, at most.
    Everyone is so reliant on their social networks and technology, after all, and I think this would be a creative idea to prove that life isn't over if your parents don't let you text or Facebook shuts down that schools should try.

December 6, 2010 at 8:04 pm |
  204. Selena

For me, it isn't so hard to stay unplugged when your parents don't let you have Facebook, Twitter, or let you text. I only use my phone for emergencies, so I could stay unplugged for a while. Though if I can't use my computer and other electronics, that wouldn't be easy!

December 6, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  205. Jacob

I could stay unplugged for a while, probably a week. I don't see why people need electronics so much when they have many other things.

December 6, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  206. hamda

i think its good for some shy kids to get more open to the world

December 6, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  207. Kathryn

This is a great idea and i think it should go National! I'm sorry but i would have to use the computer for school and stuff, but I'm sure I could go with out texting for more than a year.

December 6, 2010 at 8:19 pm |

I really don't know how long I could go "unplugged" but probably not for long. I am always texting friends, or calling friends. If I had to give up my cell phone for a week I would go outside and hang around with friends or just read when I have free time.

December 6, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  209. Megan

I don't think I would be able to be unpluged for that long, but I can still try. I think there are kids that can be unpluged for that long, maybe evn longer. I do think it is a good idea because once they are done with that week, they might see everything from a different perspective and want to talk to friends eye to eye.

December 6, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  210. Dani

Honestly, I probably could only do it for about a week. I've attempted it before and that's how long I lasted. You would be surprised how much we depend on technology in our everyday lives. Without it we are pretty much lost.

December 6, 2010 at 8:30 pm |
  211. Callie

i think the social experiment is a good idea because more people use their cell phones and facebook to talk then talking face to face i think it would be good to talk face to face better with my friends then on the phone i need to do that more then text

December 6, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  212. Dani

Honestly, I would probably only last about a day. I'm a teenager and I pretty much rely on technology for everything. Being deprived of my cell & computer would drive me crazy. Things like facebook and texting are ways to procrastinate work, and we all know it. However, we know we probably would't be able to function without it. That's just an opinion coming from a 15 year old.

December 6, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  213. Calie

more people are talking on the facebook and texting then face to face. face to face is better because you can understand what they are saying better

December 6, 2010 at 8:34 pm |

I think it's a really good idea, and it may help students be able to talk more comfortably later in life when getting a job. They need face-time. I also think it would be fun to just get outside and be free of technology for a while.

December 6, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
  215. craig

I dont think i would be able to do that. My phone and facebook are my life. i would go crazy!!!!!

December 6, 2010 at 8:38 pm |
  216. gerimaya

I think it would be good for everyone to speak face to face instead of being shy and silent because I know that everyone could last a week without technology.

December 6, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
  217. Aemilia

You have to admit of most of us couldn't go at least 3 days without a cell phone or Facebook. It may seem addicting to people, but its really just talking to people, and uploading pictures and playing games. I don't have a cell phone, and I'm rarely on the computer. So I could go at least 6 months without ANYTHING.

December 6, 2010 at 8:50 pm |
  218. Tasha

There are reasons why the cellphone was invented and I think that those are legitimate, we do abuse our right to a cell phone by letting it consume all of our time.

December 6, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  219. Poline

A week or more.

December 6, 2010 at 9:00 pm |
  220. Lester

How long would I say unplugged? Depends on what my incentive is.
    And that's coming from a student whose bookmarked websites are "Facebook", "YouTube", "Twitter", and so, so much more...

December 6, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
  221. Richmond

Well, these technologies can be considered as a motivation for students. Without them students can lose interest in school work.

December 6, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
  222. Nolan

I don't think it makes that much of a difference with face book or texting.There just alternative versions of communications.If the talk is face to face and something insulting or complimenting is spoken it will probably have the same effect as if said over a text or post.

December 6, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
  223. Karrington

I think it a good way to challenge kids and give them something else to do such as playing outside insted of texting all day,

December 6, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
  224. Kamaria

I would have done the same thing. We all have our rights, yeah I may have put the football down before.

December 6, 2010 at 9:20 pm |
  225. Trent

Honestly I know personally how long I can last, because I take a break from electronics every Sunday and last week I went all the way to Sunday the 5th. I loved it because all that I did was Play guitar and walk around with my friends.

December 6, 2010 at 9:24 pm |
  226. mallory

I think this a great change that these kids are willing to give up but as for me if you take my phone away i will be crying!!
    So kudos to them

December 6, 2010 at 9:38 pm |
  227. dejermey

i think it is a great idea to do because we need to learn how to stop using cell phones all the time

December 6, 2010 at 9:59 pm |
  228. Trae

I could probably only go like a week with out using face book or any thing like that. now in our lives we normally depend on that kind of stuff.

December 6, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  229. Michael

The concept of "staying unplugged" serves no purpose. Today, our entire lives run on processors. The only thing unplugging technology from our lives does effectively is wastes time. The technology we have today is constantly evolving, and we should embrace it in order to better our lives overall. I would never "unplug" any of my readily available technology-why waste the precious time I have on this planet.

December 6, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  230. drew

i think it was pretty awsome.

December 6, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  231. Jonathan

I think being unpluged is good for you.It is good because you have to move and if you move it gives your legs muscles. i thimk i should take part of that too. My friends and i will love it.

December 6, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  232. CHEYENNE

i think its cool pepole need to take time to do other things instead of being on computers and cell phones. you are not going to be away from it your whole life.

December 6, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  233. Grace

I feel that this is a good expirement, but I probably couldn't last for more than a few hours. It is in some ways sad. Although, its the 21st century and people need to except the modern day societys.

December 6, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  234. Madeline

I think i could go a week or more. I don't have a facebook, but i do have an email. I think it would be cool if for a week, I sent letters to my friends every time I wanted to email them. I'd have to save up some stamp money for that though. I agree with the experament. Even when I am hanging out with my friends, they are texting. Facebook and texting and such are a good way to communicate, but you don't have to be on them all the time. The internet is a useful thing though. It's amazing how far humans have come.

December 6, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  235. Alexis

I think I could at least go for one day. Not going on Facebook or texting my friends and family for a week would drive me crazy. Though how would I have a conversation with one of my friends if i couldn't contact them of where to go first? Otherwise I think this is a good idea of getting more active with fun things such as reading would be good for us.

December 6, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  236. Emma

I'm sorry as well that most people can't go for more than three days unplugged!! It is sad that people are so addicted to that stuff that they can't pull themselves away!!

December 6, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  237. Emma

If someone is far away, say another state or country then why not send a letter??? Yeah it takes FOREVER to get to its destination but people have done it. Before there were phones, and twitter, and facebook, and texting. Some day there will not be any phones or anything like that.

December 6, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  238. B.J.

As long as it takes for the power to come back on.

December 7, 2010 at 12:07 am |
  239. Jyoti

I could stay unplugged forever! we need to bring back the human connection!

December 7, 2010 at 12:24 am |
  240. Sara

Well if you think about it alot of people dont have a facebook,and i dont want one.So I could stay unplugged for months!Not uing my cell of coure!

December 7, 2010 at 12:54 am |
  241. Marcos

The longest i've ever been without those things was about 10 years. Ofcourse that was only 3 years ago.

December 7, 2010 at 1:00 am |
  242. Bethany

Sometimes we underestimate our abilities. When you really give full effort to be tech-free, over time at actually gets easier because you learn to occupy your time with better, more uplifiting activities.

December 7, 2010 at 1:06 am |
  243. sari

the longest ive ever been of the internet is about 1 week. I thinks it good that this expiriment is going on because teenagers these days dont even enjoy the outdoors like they used to when they were small know its always computer computer. technologys great but sometimes you have to enjoy nature too. 🙂

December 7, 2010 at 1:41 am |
  244. Dasol

I text little and I don't have facebook and twitter. I think I can be unplugged entirely for about two weeks.

December 7, 2010 at 2:16 am |
  245. Suzana

I don't think its completely impossible to stay unplugged for a while, but if i had to estimate how long I could survive I'd probably guess only a couple of days. Facebook is really addicting.

December 7, 2010 at 6:59 am |
  246. Deion

I agree with this experiment because the new technology is weaken us when it comes to face-to-face interaction and it would be interesting to see that the avoidance of technology actually did sharpen the students social skills.

December 7, 2010 at 7:07 am |
  247. Paul

I wouldn't be able to stay unplugged, but the most i guess i've stayed unplugged was..a day or two, but only cause i was grounded.

December 7, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  248. Aaronn

Staying "unplugged" from Facebook for me would be so hard considering the fact that I spend most of my time on it. However, I don't have a cell phone so it won't be so hard. Yet, if I was doing it to encourage other students about face-to-face communication, I could manage it for a week!

December 7, 2010 at 8:19 am |
  249. Logan

I think it would be interesting to see how long kids can get away from their electronics. But I think being unplugged from the cell phones is a little out of the way. What if your hanging out with friends and their was an accident?

December 7, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  250. Meghan

I think that the longest that i can stay unplugged is about.. 3 hours. But i know people that don't even have a phone, and they can't stay off of facebook.. i think that a lot of people are getting addicted.

December 7, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  251. Ian

I admire anybody who would be able to stay unplugged for a long time, but I don't think that in this day in age people would be 1) willing to do it and 2) be able to keep it. I need technology and so do many other kids and teens out there. I applaud the idea, but I couldn't do it.

December 7, 2010 at 8:53 am |

I think that I could go without using such technology for a month or two. I actually have a life other than the Internet and I don't have cell phone. I try not to distract my self with these items. I find that it makes me more sociable and easier to talk to.

December 7, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  253. marcus

i could be able to stay unpluged for a week

December 7, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  254. Bailey

The fact that people feed off of current technology is sad. The kids in my school live on facebook and talk through texting. If everyone just took a day to stay unplugged, it would be saving quite a bit of energy. I, myself, can go for days on end without a cell phone or TV or even facebook. I just recently got a facebook, and I don't see what the big deal is. I think that America and the children and adults that live here are all depending on modern technology just a little to much!

December 7, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  255. Lina

I think it's a great challenge. It would be easy for me though because I don't have a cell phone, don't have cable, mp3 player is only for the car, and I only get on the computer for school things. My mom is pretty much against screen time.

December 7, 2010 at 9:19 am |
  256. Laura

I could go a total of about 30 days then i would have to use my phone i didnt agree with the face to face because even though students aren't talking to people their with the still are chatting with friends and getting to know people so its not really a bad thing.

December 7, 2010 at 9:25 am |
  257. najee

i believe people shouldnt be controled by technology and should get active more. also you might suffer from couch potatoe syndrom

December 7, 2010 at 9:31 am |
  258. Caroline

I think this is smart think, there isn't nearly enough face to face talking. Whenever I'm with my peers their always either texting someone and not paying attention to what's going on. And when everyone gets home half the people go on Facebook. It's ridiculous how many people are so obsessed with facebook and texting now.

December 7, 2010 at 9:43 am |
  259. Brice

I don't think i could go a week without texting, i mean some kids need there phones to call their parents for something, if you don't have your phone how are you going to do that.

December 7, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  260. Kyle

The idea is good. Do I think I could do it? No. I'm too connected for my own good.

December 7, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  261. susie

I don't know if I could stay unplugged for long, because technology has become such a big part of everyone's everyday life.

December 7, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  262. Mulan

I would be fine if it, but you are encouraging us to use our laptops as we right this.

December 7, 2010 at 11:39 am |
  263. Mulan

I would be fine if it, but you are encouraging us to use our laptops as we write this.

December 7, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  264. William

I think I would be able to do that, it's nice to talk to friends, but it's also nice to go outside for awhile.

December 7, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  265. Camille

As bad as it sounds, I don't think I could do this. I've become so attached to my cell phone and to Facebook that without it, I would feel inhuman. But this is just showing that technology has truly taken over people's lives, and something has to be done.

December 7, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  266. Her

I don't think that it would be that hard if EVERYONE, as in all my friends, were doing it. But if it was just me then it would be sooooo hard to be able to communicate with all my friends only face-to-face, because to meet each other face-to-face we use our cells and other forms of social networking to set up our plans!

December 7, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  267. Erik

It would be easy to do if everyone stopped using it, only for the reason that if you were the only one to "un-plug" then you would get out of the loop. Also its just a habit to always have my phone in my pocket. I might only look at it once or twice a day but its like a comfort thing.

December 7, 2010 at 11:43 am |

I could probably go the whole week from Facebook, but I use my phone to call my parents but yeah it would be hard......

December 7, 2010 at 11:43 am |

Okay, I think that facebook and cell phones are never going to go away, just saying. Once you go "tech" you never go back. I mean its so much easier then having to call people all the time or go and visit them, or write a letter. I mean sometimes its nice to do that, but some people are to busy to do that all the time, people who actually have lives, and have a social life, and play sports, and facebook is a really easy way to communicate. Just saying. All righty, this is never going away so parents that are always saying "we didn't have these things when we were young and we survived" well you all wanted the new stuff too, and we won't get anywhere if we don't get into the new stuff thats out there.

December 7, 2010 at 11:44 am |
  270. Randy

on the other hand it would be hard to not go on youtube or some other constant website that i go on on a regular basis

December 7, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  271. theodore

it would be easy for me.my parents don't allow me to have a cell phone or a facebook even though i am 15 so it wouldn't effect me much anyway.

December 7, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  272. Elizabeth

I think that this is a good idea because it gets us away from everything. It makes you free and makes you talk to people face to face. We need to be able to put down the technology. I think that I would be able to stay unplugged for a week.

December 7, 2010 at 11:46 am |
  273. Miranda

I believe that it would good to have a break from everything. The world is to caught up and all the technology, and it would be nice for all of that to go away for a week, and see what is really important. I believe I could stay unplugged for one week.

December 7, 2010 at 11:46 am |
  274. Katie

I really want to try this! It wouldn't be very hard because I never text and I could use a break from facebook. The only problem would be that almost all of my homework has to be done on my laptop. Perhaps I'll try over holiday break!

December 7, 2010 at 11:47 am |
  275. Heather

I don't think I could do this. Facebook is really the only place I can escape from my family when I'm home, and its the only place I can talk to some of my really close friends. I don't use my cell phone a whole lot anymore. People may disagree with me but I only txt 3 or 4 people regularly. Also Facebook is where I get most of my homework assignments, and how I stay in touch with the other half of my family who live in NH. Honestly I wouldn't WANT to do this. I am addicted to Facebook and im not afraid to admit it.

December 7, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  276. Baily

I Think that maybe it's a good idea because people do spend way to much time on facebook. And maybe if everyone decided to try this we would depend less on technology and i dont think that taking cellphones and texting away for a week is going to do any good because alot of people communicate by texting because its easier than having to go all the way to somewhere else just to figure out what someone is doing. It can also help alot of lonley people who just want someone to talk to somtimes.

December 7, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  277. Baily

December 7, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  278. Rachel

I have stayed unplugged for about three weeks. I dont see how it happened but it is true!!! We all should give up on our social life every once and awhile!

December 7, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  279. ray

i think it would be cool to do it because people could see hard life would be without internet and al that stuff.

December 7, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
  280. clockwork

kids these days just cant get enogh of tecnoligy its never going to happen

December 7, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
  281. teresa

with the way kids seem to be today, it just seem to people like the adults. think they can't stay without any texting, facebook & such.... because our lives as kids are based around this stuff, but i think they really can if they try, i would be a huge personal achievement for someone like myself who is always doing something on techonogly.

December 7, 2010 at 1:00 pm |
  282. Brandon

I think i wouldn't be able to do this i would probably go 1 day or so

December 7, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
  283. tasha

I never really thought about how long i could go. i think that the longest i could go probably about a month. a month is pushing it though because i would probably go insane. i could most likely pull it off though.

December 7, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
  284. Brandon

My emergency would be that " I'm having a withdraw and i need it or ill die

December 7, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
  285. Alisha

I think that this is a wonderful idea because it is teaching others what we are missing when we met face to face instead of by phone, face book twitter and other net works!

December 7, 2010 at 1:24 pm |
  286. natashia

yes becuse i beley use my computer and phone

December 7, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  287. Samantha(:

I could stay unplugged for a week or two. No more than that though. i dont have a facebook or twitter so i think ill be good. Just the phone thing i love texting and talking so it may be hard.

December 7, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
  288. Samantha(:

I think i could last one week ,but no more. Because i love to talk and text but i admit it may be easier for me rather than with other people cause i dont have a facebook or twitter.

December 7, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  289. Anna-Marijka

I am a constant facebook user and I text more than talk on my phone. Not having my phone or being on facebook would be extremely hard for me. I am not sure I could do it. However, I do think people have less socialization skills these days because they do not have to learn how to deal with people if they do not have to see them face to face.

December 7, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  290. Zoe

I could go as long as i want without using my cell phonebecause i only talk to my mom occasionaly and my friend who lives in Fayette county. And since i don't have a facebook, i don't have to worry about getting on it all of the time becauce I only play online games. How long can you go without texting or facebooking Carl?

December 7, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  291. Khymorah

Yes if we try as hard as we can we can get over the addictions of cellphones and computers.I can go a entire year without computers and cellphones.I cant and wont do social websites because they lead to problems in the real world.Cellphones because they can also lead to problems in the real world

December 7, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  292. dave

I could not go a day without a computer because i love to get on nfl rush and other websites.the second one is texting i cannot go without texting because i have to talk to close freinds and family.And it would be boared if i could not text.I would get mad if it was not internet.

December 7, 2010 at 2:22 pm |
  293. Eric

Personally, I could not last very long without the current technololgy. It's mostly because the addiction to using it daily and so many people have it around you. But, I think face-to-face communications ARE possible at this time, it'd just be very hard to adjust to and this world we live in currently.

December 7, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  294. LeTimothy

I think that being unplugged will be hard because people are in love with the technology that we have today.People use technology to do many things. I know I am not able to stay away from technology.That is why I think no one can be unplugged for a long time.

December 7, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  295. Javaris

I don't think they should do that. Would if it was a emergency. But I can go a day without the internet. 😀

December 7, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  296. katy

I think that they would act the same as they did before they got facebook,phone ,took away

December 7, 2010 at 2:47 pm |
  297. Dustin

I think i could go a little bit. i broke my phone once then i went three months with out a cell phone. So i could do if i had to do it i wouldnt want to do it.

December 7, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
  298. daeshonna

The longest I can stay unplugged is 2 months.

December 7, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  299. Dasia

i can go without electronics for a long long time because i don't need electroncs

December 7, 2010 at 2:55 pm |
  300. alonzo

I would be mad because you can't go with out those things you need to use those things to talk.

December 7, 2010 at 2:58 pm |
  301. Jazmin

I think that it has gotten harder and harder over the years to go without using technology because in everyday life almost everyone uses some sort of technology, especially since this world relies greatly on technology for different things. It would be hard for me and many others as well to stay “unplugged” for a week. I think that I could do it but I would probably be really anxious till the week got over when I could get “plugged” back in again.

December 7, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
  302. James

I'll admit it. I have an addiction to Facebook, Myspace, and all that other stuff. But it's been a rule at my school for about 4 years. No cell phones, no Ipods, nothing, and it's really helped. Our school's overall GPA has shot higher than the clouds since 2006. I think other schools should follow in our footsteps, and many have. I think it would help there GPA, too.

December 7, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  303. makensi

i think it would be hard to leave my cell phon eand laptop just sitting there but also i think its a really cool expeirement its realy cool that these kids are willing to leave all this stuff alone.

December 7, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  304. Robert

The longest i could EVER stay unplugged was when i was in the poconos with my family... I think it is a great idea that people are trying to become more social! But will they all be able to last it?

December 7, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  305. riley

if they want to do that no one can can stop them, but i cannot go a day without being on Facebook and my phone.

December 7, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
  306. alexis

i could not stay off my phone for a while but i could stay off Facebook or Twitter. I could stay off a computer.

December 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm |
  307. nikole

yes i could if u wanted to u could take my phone for a week.

December 7, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  308. riley

yes because i never get on my facebook and i dont even get on twitter, but on the other hand, my mom turned my cell phone service off.

December 7, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  309. Jesus

Well I think that it is a good idea and it can be done, because it can help others communicate with others face to face. Rather than going on facebook or twitter. I can do the challenge I don't have a phone or a profile on facebook of twitter.

December 7, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  310. NICK

I go on facebook after my homework and i only stay on for two hours but i can go without facebook for at least a couple weeks.

December 7, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  311. Mitchell

Well I started to unplug but about five minutes after I started my friend texted me and I lost all self control and texted my friend back. So I probably couldn't even go five minutes unplugged.

December 7, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  312. milly

i think this is a great idea, instead of having your eyes glued to the screen ,i think it is better to actually talk face to face

December 7, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
  313. Kylah

I think this is a good idea to do.. but hard at the same time...
    I've tried to do that one time.. and broke.. Good Luck

December 7, 2010 at 7:17 pm |

I could stay unplugged for a long time because I dont have a Facebook or a Twitter and I dont use my cell phone a lot so that means I dont tex a lot.

December 7, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  315. Lana

I can stay a month I don't have neither a phone, facebook,or twitter
    so it's easy on me

December 7, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  316. GABBY

The longest i could go 'unplugged' would be quite some time, i like talking face-to-face with my friends cause then they (an i) know who is really talking and not claiming to be some one else.

December 7, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  317. Dylan

I could go unplugged a LONG time because a dont have a Facebook or Twitter and I dont use my cell phone a lot so that means I dont tex a lot.

December 7, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  318. Maria

I think it is a great idea the students will concentrate more because they arn't didling with there cell phone

December 7, 2010 at 7:55 pm |
  319. Lily

i think this people wouldn't live without texting , Facebook or any other website i personally couldn't go without it.

December 7, 2010 at 8:46 pm |
  320. Chris

I think that americans have been spoiled with all of the new technology that we have. Some people can't even afford shoes, so why do we Americans continue to make technology without regard for them? I think most of America is more concerned with the economy, war, trade, and other things like that than the citizens. If we just gave all the homeless people jobs, our economy would rise, if even in the slightest bit.

December 7, 2010 at 8:47 pm |
  321. stephanie

when i actually have acess to things like the internet and cell phones im on one or the other 24/7 it would not be possible for me to go without them for any more than a day by my own will. I personally prefer to talk to people online than in person.

December 7, 2010 at 9:06 pm |
  322. Madddy

I think this is a very witty idea, but i dont think it will work, because students will probably sneak cell-phones or go on fcebook from their phones/ipods.

December 7, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  323. Raven

I couldn't go very long at all "unplugged"! I love my computer and log onto my accounts everyday. Even when I'm done I find out ways that I can stay on the computer longer! And I would be lost without my cellphone!

December 7, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  324. cameron

I think its a good and bad idea because people need face to face contact and bad because to much of anything is not good for anyone.

December 8, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  325. richard

If you cant go without Facebook, Twitter, or cell phones for a week that means that you are relying on them to much for your communication. I have Facebook and a cellphone but rarely use them because I value a face to face conversation. Besides how many of your Facebook "friends" do you really know.

December 8, 2010 at 10:56 am |
  326. Levi

I think that it's a good experiment for the kids at the school so they can get to meet people face to face

December 8, 2010 at 11:54 am |
  327. Trevor

I get on facebook every day, I don't think many people could go 1 week without losing their mind. And people don't use facebook just to chat all the time they sometimes get on to make plans for things. I disagree with the thing they are doing.

December 8, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  328. Jorge

I think it was a good idea because it lets kids get more friends and notice it, then it means they are getting nicer to other kids.

December 8, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
  329. MIranda

I can go without a phone but I can not go without Facebook. -__-
    It is the 21st century for a reason and times are changed. Why change the way the world is? It evolved for a reason.

December 8, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
  330. Mandy

I could two months being un-plugged. When I get grounded I get unplugged. Depending how bad I was grounded for it could get up to 3 months. My parents want me to be a "Angel". When I go to camp, I am not allowed to be "plugged" in. The great outdoors is not really all that bad when you are with friends.

December 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
  331. Josh

This is a great idea to teach students and maybe even adults to talk face to face. So much of our communication today is online or on the phone.

December 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
  332. Social Studies Students

We are 3 social studies students in a school of about 18. The school that we attend is a treatment service program and we are cut off completely from cell phones and private internet use. We have all been in this program for numerous months and have not had any internet access to sites like Facebook, Myspace, Twitter or any other chat sites. We are able to get on the internet to do school projects but that is what we are limited to. In our modern day community it is not hard to live with out all the extra perks but everybody is just so accustomed to the technology. Sure it is nice to have internet and cellphones but they are not a necessity.

December 8, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
  333. Michael

i been unplug for two months and will stay like that for a while.

December 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm |
  334. Brenna

Honestly, I couldn't be off for more than a week. I have been grounded for a week and I could stand it. If they an pretend to be "grounded", maybe they would be able to stand not being online at all.

December 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm |
  335. Ethan

I've been "unplugged" from Facebook for over a year and I really want it back. But I have to wait another year or so

December 8, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  336. Nora

It would be really hard t unplug, but I guess I could get used to it.

December 8, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  337. marquel

i cant stay unplugged it would be to hard ,but i am up for the challenge

December 8, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  338. Kaylan

People used to live without any technology, so it's possible. I don't think I would do it, because people have worked hard to create these inventions. Lets make them worth it. They are a good creations, because everyone use technology now. Wow ! This would be very hard for me, because i am what we call a TEXT-A-HOLIC ! HA !

December 8, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  339. Lauren

One week max. I am constantly checking my email and playing games on my ipod touch. I would surely go mad if I didn't know what stores were having sales....

December 8, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  340. Kayla

facebook is around for people that don't have the energy to talk so instead they IM.

December 8, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  341. Tia

This will be a hard choice. I have lots of friends I can only keep in touch with if I have electricity. Besides, there's no way to live in this econemy without technology. It just can't happen.

December 8, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
  342. Tia

Without technology, students and teachers can't use the worksheets or online lesson plans today. Also, they can't watch or visit this website! and what if you needed to call 911? Or if you needed to order a phone book? Or, if one of the teachers was renewing a driver's license, simulators? For an entire WEEK, too. That would never work with me.

December 8, 2010 at 8:48 pm |
  343. Toriano

i can probaly stay unplugged for about 2to3 weeks.but no longer than a month.I'm sorry i need youtube and nba.com

December 8, 2010 at 8:57 pm |
  344. shay

students should be able to wear whatever they want to school to express their personalitys, but the principal should make a limit on how low they go.

December 8, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  345. Bryce

It would be a challenge but I could last a few days it would be easier if everyone else did, so I know that they are going through it and I'm not missing anything. It would be very hard for any person to go over a week but kudos to anyone that does!

December 8, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  346. Kat

think its a good idea because in todays techniolgy we dont know how to have talk to people face to face. some people need help with this because some people are on their cell phones or compter all day long. i think that i could do this experiment

December 8, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  347. Damian

it's possible but i don't think people will want to do it. After all technology does make the world go round. In the future no one will use that much face to face communication. Technology has taken over the world.

December 8, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  348. Strawberry

I think that it would be a nice change of pace to be unplugged for a while, but I wouldn't be able to last very long without the internet. I have to research things for my school projects, and to keep in contact with faraway friends. But being unplugged would stop cyber bullying, and it would also help people socialize.

December 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  349. Trey

Getting off of facebook is not a big deal. People enjoy this way of communication, but this does not mean that we don't know how to talk to people face to face.

December 9, 2010 at 8:12 am |
  350. Eyre

I rarely use my facebook but I only check it since my friends who I made at a old middle school, don't have my cell phone number so they can call me. And the only texts I get on my phone is from my mom asking to due something for her. So yea I am kinda alreadly away from the social network big time. Can you blame me if i say I am more of a reader of books than a texter?

December 9, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  351. Abbey

I couldn't go one day without my phone or Facebook! I can hardly go over-night without texting 🙂

December 9, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  352. Chesney

They should NOT get rid of facebook.

December 9, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  353. Monica

Personally, if think that it would be very hard to stay unplugged for a whole week. It would be hard to stay in contact with your friends and your parents when you aren't home. Maybe it isn't good to be on the computer, and phone all the time, but that's a little much.

December 9, 2010 at 10:22 am |
  354. Jordan

I don't think I would be able to stay unplugged for a week. I need my cell phone and facebook to stay in touch with my parents, family, and friends. I still get face to face time when I go to school or go to a friend's house, I'm not addicted. Just my phone is a necessity to know about what's going on with my family and friends that don't here.

December 9, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  355. Elise

NO. Facebook and texting gives you an outlet. And kids need it.

December 9, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  356. Alyssa

Actually i think that idea is horrible. Why would you do something like that. If a fight or conflict get started then what will do then. Even though facebook isn't the way to go about telling someone how you feel. Telling it in someones face sure isn't a good idea.

December 9, 2010 at 10:31 am |
  357. Amy

this is a bad idea. everyone is addicted to their cell phone u cant just take them away. i mean it would be a good thing but it wont work. maybe for a few days but more then that someone is going to go crazy. everywhere u turn there is cell phone tecology is everywhere its not going to change.

December 9, 2010 at 11:25 am |
  358. Grace and Hannah

We could live without our cell phones. Sure, it would be hard at first but, I think we would get used to it. We would especially get used to it if we HAD to "get unplugged." Like one of the other comments read, I would also want other people to "get unplugged." It would be a lot easier that way!

December 9, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
  359. Winston

I think it is a good idea because you can talk to a person face to face and not some computer screen. but you should enjoy a little facebook and twitter, but not all the time

December 9, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
  360. Anna

I think is really good for some people to do that, its a really good idea and alot of people should try it. I think it would be cool if my school did that too.

December 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
  361. Natalie

I don't think it's a good idea or right for the teachers are allowed to do this. Because kids should be able have there paints the way they wan't. The only thing i think they should do it give them a belt or send them home to change it's really bad!!!

December 9, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  362. jenah

I just got cell phone 1 month ago. before then i was unplugged and it wasn't so bad. No internet, no phone, and no TV. NO I am not pore. I just have more important things to do than to text people and chat online.

December 9, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  363. Aubrie

I think staying unplugged is very hard, but some people just CAN'T. It isn't just that they don't want to, it's that they can't cumunicate.They might have parents fighting in wars across seas. I do still think that face to face comunication is great but sometimes you might need imformating that you can't get by talking.

December 9, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  364. Cassandra

I think its cool if everyone went unplugged. But whats not cool is i'm sitting at the computer rather than having a snow ball fight right now!!!

December 9, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  365. Jacob

To be honest I could not go very long. :whoops:

December 9, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  366. michael

I think that taking away this stuff could save the way to talk to each other you need to see how there reaction could tell if they need it but that does not meen take awaywebsites just because of no face to face conversation

December 9, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  367. darren

i would be able to because it would let me spend more time with my family.

December 9, 2010 at 7:10 pm |
  368. Tanya

I need to use the laptop sometimes to do my homework. So, if 'unplug' means can-do-hw-on-computer-thing then I can unplug if I wanted to any time.

December 9, 2010 at 7:39 pm |
  369. Carson

I could get rid of my Facebook for a good while, but I always need my cell phone in case of an emergency!

December 9, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  370. Meg

Being a teenager myself i find it very difficult to not interact with my friends. Sometimes the computer or phone is the only way

December 9, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  371. Meg

Teenagers use electronics in their everyday lives. To take it away would be like taking away the 21st century.

December 9, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  372. maxwell

I do think it is a good idea, because they are useing their phones a going on facebook, myspace, and twitter. so if you ask me I think it iss the best idea.

December 10, 2010 at 6:12 am |
  373. Brea...

Right now I'm actually quitting Facebook, and it’s really not as hard as I thought it would be, so far... I probably could go without everything except texting. I have to be able to text; unless I was always with my friends then I would never need it...

December 10, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  374. Sarah

Thats crazy that they are getting off the internet. I bet they won't stay off for a month. I've done it.

December 10, 2010 at 10:33 am |
  375. Drew

i think it would be cool to see how it would turn out with not going on twitte or facebook and that stuff

December 10, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  376. Jessica

I believe it'd be a good experiment. Every kid I know probably couldn't make it one day without electronics, I think I could. Plus, this could make kids see everything from a different view and see different learning styles. It'd make you actually look for something instead of just typing something and learning nothing slong the way.

December 10, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  377. Jessica

I believe it'd be a good experiment. Every kid I know probably couldn't make it one day without electronics, I think I could. Plus, this could make kids see everything from a different view and see different learning styles. It'd make you actually look for something instead of just typing something and learning nothing along the way.

December 10, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  378. -Gabby

It would be nice to have a day or two with out it but much longer than that I don't know if I could do it. Right now would be the hardest too becasue it is so cold out you wouldn't be able go outside to do things.

December 10, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  379. Kaleb

I couldn't go unplugged ever because I use a lot of things. I use texting, facebook, ECT. I have gone unplugged for about a week without going crazy.

December 10, 2010 at 11:05 am |
  380. Baily

I think it is a good idea but what if u are driving and go in the ditch, well you dont have your phone with you so you cant call your parents so you are going to be there for awhile. Or if you are at home and forget what your math assignment was, you arent going to get it done and then you are going to be in trouble. 😦

December 10, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  381. Gabriel

personaly i think that it would serve students and adults well if they decided to break away from technology for a few days. today's society is full of people who cannot do face to face interactions but can talk to their 500 friends on facebook. good luck trying to go back to the dark ages.

December 10, 2010 at 12:42 pm |
  382. Even

I could go a pretty long like a month but it could help with the problem of people being plugged in.

December 10, 2010 at 1:08 pm |
  383. Devon

I don't think that the unplugging idea is possible because like most people, others rely on electronic communication to contact their friends and family like my mom, she lives in a different town and I can only talk to her on the phone or computer. I think the longest I could stay unplugged is an hour, I'm no fan of the outdoors in the winter.

December 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
  384. sophie

I think that it is wonderful that this is going to happen. Many people today have forgotten how to interact face to face. I love this idea and i hope that it will make a difference in how people use technology today

December 10, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  385. Guffey

Well, first of all, I've never had a cell phone, and I'm almost 19 years old. I've gotten along just fine. I've had internet for what seems like forever, but when I'm stuck without it, things are just fine. In fact, as irony would have it, I lost usage of my computer for this entire week, so I've been forced to go without anything more than face-to-face communication. Honestly, I prefer to be without such a technological lifestyle.

December 10, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  386. Mandy

I think it is really smart what they are doing, but it is a modern way of communication. The expirement it smart for the students that are really into those social networking sites because when they are done with it, hopefully they know that it is fine to use, but only in moderation.

December 10, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  387. brandi

i think it is a great experience for both students and adults. it allows a family to hve supper together without being interupted by a tex and being able to comunicate with each other

December 10, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  388. brandi

i dont have a cell phone i do have a DSI but my parents made me pay for it with my own money

December 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  389. brandi

I think it would be great if everyone unplugs,kids and adults.You could have supper without an interuption by a text or something else

December 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  390. Jade

I can't last a week "unplugged". Electronics keep me to the outside world.

December 11, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  391. Liana

It's great that people are trying to set a good trend for themselves and the community. This experiment with unplugging facebook and cellphones really exposed humans to old school socializing. America's kids' social skills are dropping and people wonder why. Myspace, Twitter, Facebook, Formspring, Youtube, I could just go on for ages....

December 11, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
  392. Anna

There are some people that really "live on Facebook". I meen that I don't get on Facebook 24 hours a day but I do text. And it's the only way I can talk to my bothers that are in the army so I really can't stay unplugged for long.

December 11, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  393. Beth

Yes, anything is possible if you put your mind to it!

December 11, 2010 at 7:52 pm |
  394. Nathan

i think it is a good idea for no facebook and twitter and sites like that but no phones i think is a bad idea because phones are important to communicate with freinds so you can go some were and have fun and have face to face conversations. I think i pods being not used is not a good idea because everyone needs there music. They should make it no TV also.

December 12, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
  395. Samantha

I think this school is fantastic! Go for it! I would be able to stay unplugged for awhile. we go up north a lot- and there's no cell service. I grew up in a house that facebook, texting, and such. It really not all that important... I wish our school would do this for a week!!!

December 12, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
  396. Mackenzie

This whole,"Un-plugging" plan they say is only to promote face-to-face communication. Well what happens when someone breaks there promise and goes on facebook for 5 minutes or if someone were to send 1 text? This will make them go through a guilt trip, and eventually everyone will be back to electronical communication. So even if this is for 1 week, i may be able to stay unplugged for about 3 days or so. Now i feel guilty:)

December 12, 2010 at 1:10 pm |
  397. Justin

I do not agree with this plan. What if someone gets lost somewhere? They need a phone to call their parents or someone to come get them. Of course to much technology is bad but we still need technology, even for a week.

December 12, 2010 at 4:17 pm |

I think staying unplugged would be kind of hard, some people are just too addicted. I think face to face communication is good but sometimes using your cell phones is just the right thing, like if your parents or close friends are out of state, you will need to get ahold of them. You can enjoy facebook and twitter ect. a little but not so much that your addicted!

December 12, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  399. Amanda

Being Unplugged would definitely be a challenge for me because today our technology is growing and growing! Back then people didn`t have what we have today , i could probably last a week or so but i would try my hardest to go longer!!!!!

December 12, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  400. Sophie

Technology has been a huge benifit for humans in that it has increased communication and evolved us. But I think that at the same time it could be restricting us to live to our fullest. I personally can spend an hour on facebook doing basically nothing, I feel like sometimes I'm not really living. That doesn't mean it applies to everyone, but I think it's good to experiment with it. I also think that human nature, animal nature too, is to adapt. And if we couldn't adapt to no cell phones, tv, etc., then we are more pathetic than I thought, and not because we can't live without technology, but because of our inability to adapt.

December 12, 2010 at 9:44 pm |

I think that is a great idea. So many kids are addicted to technology.

December 13, 2010 at 8:43 am |
  402. Jamal

It really would be a good idea for everyone in this world. Every one says the U.S. is the fattest country. I think this technology is helping people become more lazy and work out

December 13, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  403. Andrew

it wood be a good idea because kids need to go out and have fun. it be good because more kids are getting fat and they need to go out.

December 13, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  404. leah

I could NEVER unplug from facebook, or my phone.. Well actually i can.
    Ive done it before, and its actually very calming and gets your mind off things, and makes things less stressful.

December 13, 2010 at 10:34 am |
  405. eduardo

i think that it would be hard for everyone who has some kind of technology to just stop using it. they are so used to it, even people at work use technology, so how are they going to just stop?

December 13, 2010 at 10:34 am |
  406. fernando

It's is easy to quit, it's just hard to begin.

December 13, 2010 at 10:37 am |
  407. C

I think there are very few people who can stay unplugged because everything we do today involves technology

December 13, 2010 at 11:31 am |
  408. Ben

I think it is a horible idea, my whole life is on facebook, besides its quicker to meet new new new people on facebook than in real life.

December 13, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  409. Kumori

I think that it's a great idea because people spend so much time on their phones and facebook they sort of thurn off the rest of the world, and it shows in their grades and behaviour.

December 13, 2010 at 1:00 pm |
  410. Ping

My cell phone is my life, i would never ever eer have the guts to get rid of it for one week. I know, Its sounds pathetic but it s true!

December 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm |

I think that they will not last. I think that because I know that we wouldn't last at all. We depend on electronics.

December 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  412. Leandra

I think it’s a good idea to try to go without facebook, cell phones, texting and twitter. People are just using to much technology and not going outside and doing better things.

December 13, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
  413. celestrial

I dont think i would be able to handle without technolagy for more then a day. So its a good thing i dont live over there because i couldent handle it.

December 13, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  414. colton

I think facebook should only be for talking to your friends that you don't live in the same state with or your trying to get back with your friends from years ago. I think that I would last about a month because i only use face like once a week and i don't watch much tv.

December 13, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
  415. fabio

I think this idea is bad. People are always on the phone to talk to friends. Without the phones they would be lost.

December 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm |

It's pathetic if you can't talk to someone face to face.

December 13, 2010 at 2:29 pm |
  417. Paulina

i couldn't last very long without facebook or my cellphone. i couldnt last 5 minutes without my phone, i do pretty much everything on my phone.

December 13, 2010 at 4:07 pm |
  418. veronica

many people should try face book at school

December 13, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  419. Carly

i think i could go about a week or two weeks maybe..not sure it would be hardd!

December 13, 2010 at 7:44 pm |

I think that it is okay to be off the computer for a while. There are so many other reasons to be outside and I think that there are so many other things to be doing. The only reason this would conflict with my schedule is that sometimes I have to write a paper for school, and that might be a interfere. Alot of unhealthy stuff goes on on the internet anyway and taking a break sometimes would be a good idea. I think that it is great to have a couple of weeks unplugged!

December 13, 2010 at 8:12 pm |

I think it is a great idea to go for a week unplugged, people spend so much time texting and they slow their life down a little and talk face to face or other productive things like reading a book

December 13, 2010 at 8:47 pm |
  422. Kaylee

Some people may not like doing it (putting away electronics). But how many people do you see everyday take out their phones, ipods, or anything else and get distracted completly? A ton. When your talking to somebody and their phones rings, I wouldn't want to be the person standing right there talking to them and then all of a sudden get ignored because they are answeering the call or text. Maybe this world needs a little time away from electronics for a while and just enjoy nature and what we have thats not in a tiny screen.

December 13, 2010 at 8:53 pm |
  423. Emily

Since i dont have Facebook, and dont text much anymore I can probebly stay unplugged for at least a month. I like having face to face conversations more than internet or cell phones, because if your on the internet or cell phones you may be talking to someone who you think is your friend but could be a hacker a bad person who wants to kidnap you.

December 14, 2010 at 11:09 am |
  424. Madison

I think the "unplugging" is a good idea. No one talks to anybody in person any more, because texting & facebooking is faster than going to go talk to somebody. I think I could go a month, but it would be a challenge for me. I think the 400 people can "unplug".

December 14, 2010 at 11:09 am |
  425. Miriam

Technology is a part of our everyday lives why "unplug" it now.

December 14, 2010 at 11:22 am |
  426. Jenna

It is not right to take peoples resources away from them. I could go for only one day with out technology.

December 14, 2010 at 11:24 am |
  427. Heath

The reason I have a cellphone to be able to talk to my dad, because he travels often.

December 14, 2010 at 11:25 am |
  428. Douglas

I would not even try to go unplugged because it's too hard.It's hard because nobody else is doing it

December 14, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  429. Rihanna

Being unplugged isn't as hard as many people think. I was essentially unplugged for a week while I was at summer camp, but I didn't even realize it because all of my good friends were there too. When EVERYONE is unplugged, it's easy. It's hard to be unplugged when you see someone next to you tweeting or messaging on Facebook.

December 14, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  430. Cody

I think that the world should start talking face to face or everybody is just going to be on a social network.

December 14, 2010 at 2:46 pm |

I think it's a great idea. It's easy to live without facebook, TV, or the computer, but not a cell phone. I can live with out a cell phone during the school week though. I think more people should spend time reading, and playing outside. A lot of people in this generation are lazy (including me).

December 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  432. kyheem

well i think that people who cant go outside once and a while and stay inside and play electronic or something like that unplugging is a good idea {for them}

December 14, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  433. Catherine

The Social Experiment is a great idea. Kids these days are being deprived of a social experience because they can hide behind their phones and computers. Our generation will be lacking in people skills if these problems aren't stopped.

December 14, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  434. Sheldon

I don't have a cellphone, and i never use twiter, I gust recently got a facebook but i only check it once a week anyway. As well as that I don't even have a TV! I think that the school is doing a great job and should keep up the work, somtimes i think people have forgotten how to talk face to face.

December 14, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
  435. skyler

ican stay un pluged for a long time beacuse we dont have cable

December 14, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  436. Sydney

Even though it would be very hard to go unplugged, I think that it could benefit us all. Going unplugged would show us how much we rely on technology such as Facebook and texting, and how much we need to do it less.

December 14, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  437. Sydney

It is definitely possible to go unplugged for a week. It would make people realize that we don't need things like Facebook, twitter, and texting to enjoy life. Our parents and grandparents survived!

December 14, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
  438. kate

what it is istotaly lame you should use what you have when you have it you never say my car is not good for the enviornment I will walk 3 miles to work today

December 14, 2010 at 7:53 pm |
  439. Emily

I go on my computer alot, so I probably wouldn't last, but since some people go on constantly, I think it is a good idea to go "unplugged"

December 14, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  440. Emily

I guess I could last, but I go on my cell phone everyday, so if i went "unplugged" I would last on the internet, but not on my phone.

December 14, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
  441. kendyl

i could not stay unplugged for more than2 days with out a texting my friends.

December 14, 2010 at 8:56 pm |
  442. Kelsey

I think that this is a good way to make people be social and for them to get out and be active. Could all of our electronics today be the cause of obesity, and maybe if alot of america did this not for just a month or two for the rest of there lives america might not be...big.

December 14, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  443. Beth

I don't really use that much myself, but enough to realize that it would change things. The internet helps us with so much (keeps us free from dictionaries, at least, which I detest) but it didn't kill the Vikings so it won't kill us. Rather, the Vikings ran around and killed each other and brained their enemies, which is a lot more fun than googling 'epidermis'.

December 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm |
  444. Angie

I go on the internet to keep in touch with some people that I don't get to see all the time and I am not able to unplug. 🙂

December 14, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  445. becca

Didn't they use computers to pleage

December 14, 2010 at 11:55 pm |
  446. Katherine

Awhile ago, I went unplugged for 2 months. It almost killed me, but I did get a reward.....

December 15, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  447. Trevor

This is a good idea beacuse it could show an increase in study habbits or something good like that. Or it could show negitive affects

December 15, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  448. Marshy

I think the social experiment is a good idea but don't get rid of facebook or social sites to soon, escpecially without consulting the people.

December 15, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  449. Viktor

Technology progresses our creativity and human progress. Without several inventions such as the toilet, wheel, or iphone 4, we would be in a world that was technologically, economically, and politically less advanced.
    However, in our monetary system, that promotes scarcity and enslavement to employment through money, interests, debt, our technology is less advanced than what it could be. In a resource based economy, our resources could become abundant if we intelligently manage them and use them to there full potential.
    This is why the world is such a horrible place because of obsolete political, economic, and civic institutions.
    Technology is truly our savior.

December 15, 2010 at 11:44 am |
  450. chris

i have been grounded like 10 times, and each was for like three days. i have to admit it was really bad for a little while, but i could not go for a whole week 🙂
    just telling the truth!

December 15, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  451. Claire

I can't go that long without facebook, I WOULD DIE WITHOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!

December 15, 2010 at 3:39 pm |
  452. Kara

Sometimes I have to tell my friends something, and also sometimes my phone is dead and I can't contact them any other way so I think that I wouldn't last that long without texting / phones / facebook.

December 15, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  453. gabanna

Most kids are addicting to this so it would be hard for them to stop, but if everybody stopped at one time then it would be easier for the kids.

December 15, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  454. Tyler

I think its a good idea and i might go a week with out Twitter,facebook ,and cell phones.I think every one should try to go atleast one day without twitter,facebook,and texting

December 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  455. Marisa

I think that this is a good idea. I dont think that I could do that without my phone or computer. Good luck to who ever is doing it!!!!!

December 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  456. Nathan

i think i might be able to last an hour. so i don't think they could do it

December 15, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  457. gregory

i dont think i could ever go 2 minuites with out using my phone from the nineties!!!!!!!

December 15, 2010 at 3:58 pm |
  458. lolo

That is insane. Yes i could go a month with out my phone but i cant live with out computers or tv. It is compleatly crazzy.

December 15, 2010 at 3:58 pm |
  459. lexi

I think this is a great idea. Kids are always obsessed over cell phones, facebook, the computer, practically anything electronical. If this were my school kids would cheat. But, I could last at least a month.

December 15, 2010 at 4:02 pm |
  460. Emma

I absolutly could not stand going a day, much less a week! I strongly disagree with it because Facebook and Twitter are a good way to
    socialize with other people.

December 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  461. Mikayla

It would be very hard to get rid of my cellphone and facebook. But I guess after a while I would get used to it. I think that if you had to do it as for like a project then I guess then you would get used to it. I have left my phone alone for like an hour and I have had 18 messages.

December 15, 2010 at 5:35 pm |

I don't think that cutting off is unplugging is such a good idea because now with the technology our generation has, it is hard to stay off. I could probably unplug for about an hour at the most.

December 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  463. Kyla

I think this idea isn't so good because now that our generation is connected with our technology, we wan't to contact long lost friends and family. We do this with social networking sites such as twitter and Facebook. The longest I can stay "unplugged" is an hour at the most.

December 15, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  464. Emilee

I think that staying unplugged would be a great thing because kids are always looking at a cell phone or something technical. What kids haven't realized yet is that when you look around, and converse with people face-to-face, you will enjoy yourself.

December 15, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  465. Devin

I could not stay unplugged for a day computers and tv are my top hobbies

December 15, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  466. Devin

I think ridding the internet of facebook is dumb

December 15, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  467. Madilyn

For me this could be a problem but it not a bad idea. To unplug for a week could be mind boggling but, think about it, the internet and electronic have taken over our lives. Almost half of america probably mindlessly plays on the computer and text on there phone.

December 16, 2010 at 8:16 am |
  468. Sandy

I think that it could be a good idea if people chose to commit to it. Also, people use way too much time on computers, phones, etc. so during this might increase the time spent with other people.

December 16, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  469. bobby

I don't think this is a bad idea because people aren't getting out and doing things anymore no exercise or anything because they just want to talk to people online like can't you wait a day to tell something to that person.

December 16, 2010 at 11:26 am |
  470. jordan

December 16, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  471. Salena

I think that people could try to make the social experiment work but I doubt it will because at this generation many are addicted to facebook, twitter, myspace and definately to texting. I think it will be hard for the kids to adjust to face to face rather then internet or text wise. I think it is a good idea to get everyone unplugged because they might not know what they have time to do rather then doing the same thing for hours.

December 16, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  472. Dalton

I just dont care ya sure i have a facebook and a fone but i just dont care i use them when i want but again i just dont care

December 16, 2010 at 11:36 am |

I think its a bad idea but I also I think its a good idea because if everyone went unplugged, it would be good for the environment. And because I am the kind of person that needs electronics to survive! I recently got my phone taken away and it was horrible.

December 16, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  474. chad

I think that it will be interesting to see how people react to not having any technology at there fingertips.

December 16, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  475. Brad

I believe that making your class do an assignment so that they cant use there phones or facebook is overrated. I think that they should be able to say yes or no. i can barely go overnight with
    out texting.

December 16, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
  476. Lexi

I do not think that i could live without my phone for a long period of time, i had went to science camp for a week and there was no cell reception at all, i was going crazy !

December 16, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  477. Chasen

I don't think I could go one day without technology because it is very associated with my life

December 16, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
  478. Connor

i think if people commit to it and try, they can. the only type of communication i have is face book and face-to-face talk. besides i rarely go on face book, perhaps never. everyone needs to quit being lazy and go out side or walk to your friends house, do something i mean come on!

December 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
  479. mariah

it would suck if i did have a phone i would die but i think i would last i think a few days maybe week but i think that we should get rid of my space or twitter i think that stuff is very inappropriate for other people and lots of people have a twitter and my space and they say really nasty stuff and i think that is inappropriate for the young people]

December 17, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
  480. Derek

I think its a good idea but I wouldnt beable to last long with some of the classes in my school if we unplug so would our grades 😛

December 17, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  481. Franklin

A while. I don't really use cell phones and I don't have a facebook. However they never mentioned OTHER internet things like my online fantasy football team or looking at videos online.....

December 17, 2010 at 9:51 pm |
  482. Bailey

i think its awesome that they are finally getting some fresh air and talking in person it would be amazing if i could do that for a whole week i don't think i could that

December 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm |
  483. Joyce

I could stay unplugged for a very long time, because I don't actually don't do that stuff. It could help other people though. If they stay unplugged, they could study for tests and get better grades to make their parents happy. I mean, sometimes it is good. Like you can talk to your relatives and friends to come over and help you on homework or projects. For the people who really can't resist, you could try being unplugged Monday-Friday. You could do whatever on the weekends. Merry Christmas!

December 18, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
  484. Sarai-Jean

I think it's a good idea to unplug cause that means you have more time to connect with family and friends.

December 18, 2010 at 7:43 pm |
  485. Pachara

Social Network is communicated tool on the computer or cell phone 24/7. It’s built for communication with people easily even though it's not face-to-face. Surely, it’s easy and fast, but it makes us spend time unnecessarily with it. I think that you are able to avoid using the social network. You must control to spend time with it. Try to unplug a computer or put down a cell phone. It may make you see a real of the world. Find and join activities together with family, friends or yourself. Family; crop tree in the garden with dad, cook a meal with mom, ride a bicycle. Friends; camp in forest, play music with the gang, take a photo together. Yourself; draw picture, play chess, study new languages. This may be motivation for encouraging face-to-face communication. However, it must have been hard because the social network is the most important tool in globalization. Transferring information must speed and easy receiving. In conclusion, Social network has an advantage and disadvantage in the same time. You must spend time appropriately because this world is not just the only “plug”.

December 19, 2010 at 7:34 am |
  486. Pachara

Social Network is communicated tool on the computer or cell phone 24/7. It’s built for communication with people easily even though it's not face-to-face. Surely, it’s easy and fast, but it makes us spend time unnecessarily with it. I think that you are able to avoid using the social network. You must control to spend time with it. Try to unplug a computer or put down a cell phone. It may make you see a real of the world. Find and join activities together with family, friends or yourself. This may be motivation for encouraging face-to-face communication. However, it must have been hard because the social network is the most important tool in globalization. Transferring information must speed and easy receiving. In conclusion, Social network has an advantage and disadvantage in the same time. You must spend time appropriately because this world is not just the only “plug”.

December 19, 2010 at 7:36 am |
  487. Sierra

I think this is a great idea! We don't realize how much we depend on technology in our daily lives and for kids to go unplugged that long is a lot harder than it may seem. However, going unplugged may result in finding a new favorite activity or getting some exercise. You might actually look at the beautiful scenery when you're walking home instead of staring at the screen of your phone and texting your friend. Good idea and good luck!

December 20, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  488. Nancy

I do not think that I would be able to unplug for too long. I think they are brave for ever considering to unplug. I know me and my friends would not.

December 20, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  489. Nancy

As you can see I am sitting at this computer instead of outside or using my time valuablely.

December 20, 2010 at 10:40 am |
  490. aShLeY

i think that this is a good idea for VOLUNTEERS because i know i would go crazy with out tech. Although it would probably be good to get away from it for a couple days!!!

love-
    your new friend Ashley

December 21, 2010 at 4:26 am |
  491. Dick

The social experiment is very hard to do, and it takes a lot of patience and willing to strive with your active mind and a good heart. President Carter is my hero, and for that, I bid you my good will to join the army and to strive with your last dignity! America.We.Are.

December 21, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  492. Brittany

I think the social experiment shouldn't happen. Technology is now a part of our lives, just like anything else. We should be able to use the resources that around is.

December 21, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
  493. Ellie

The social experiment may be a good idea for teachers, but for students it's very hard, and most people can't last two hours. Because we are a part of this generation and technology has become a life style, it would be like giving up family.

December 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  494. Olivia

Well, I can't get a phone untill I'm sixteen, but as for my computer privlages... I don't think I could make it that long! 🙂

December 21, 2010 at 4:50 pm |
  495. Emily

I think it would be great to even do it every once in a while. I think that people should realize and see how people lived back hen without all of this new technology. It might even teach them a lesson on how much they use Twitter, cell phones, etc.

December 22, 2010 at 2:13 am |