.
August 26th, 2010

Paying Parents?

As a former teacher, I know the value of parents who are involved in their child's education. Now, as a parent, I'm finding out just how tough it can be to get involved when you have a full life. In Friday's show, we spotlight a Delaware school district's plan to bring parents into the building – parents who come to open house or a conference get money for their child's college savings. Many experts agree that when parents are involved, students do better in class. But some people say you shouldn’t have to pay parents to do what they are supposed to do anyway. Now we want to hear from you – what do you think of paying parents to get involved?

John Martin, Writer

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Sydney

I understand that the money goes to the college savings and that with the economy every penny counts, but parents need to be involved in their child's school to know what is going on and to help with the parent-child relationship at home.
    What is the problem with just going to a meeting or helping out once a week? Unless the parent has a very busy job they should be more than happy to go and become involved with the education of their child!

August 26, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  2. Gabe

Parents should stay involved in their kid's life. I know from experience that it helps give a kid motivation to work harder when their parents are actively part of their education.Why do parents need the motivation of money to get involved and help their kid? If they need more than that, it's no longer about wanting to help their kid, it's about the money.

August 26, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  3. Harmodio

I think that for a parents it is helpful to get money for there childs college savings but I think that parents should get involved in there childs school things as open houses but they should do it wanting not because they are beening payed.

August 26, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  4. Bradley

I think it is a bad because there is no need to pay somebody for doing something they are suppose to do. I know times are tough but that doesn't mean you should be giving away money to people for just going to a meeting. If they kept giving money to the parents who go to meetings, the schools would probably go broke and have to cut back on the supplies for the classes.

August 26, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  5. Kayla

I think perents should not get paid because it' their jobs to be involed in their child\childrens education

August 26, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  6. Derek

I think it's good since the economy is bad not everyone has the money to send their kids to collage now they can.

August 26, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  7. Kendy

In a way it would help more kids have more money to be able to attend college. But I think that a parent doesn't need to be paid. Its their kid's education on the line. Parents should want to go to school activities and get involve. I also think that if it works than its good cause the students will do better. This benefits all of us for the students will soon be the ones running this country.

August 26, 2010 at 7:02 pm |
  8. Christian

I think that it should be that parents should just stick with the voluntering, and if they get paid, it will be just like a teaching possision, we are on district wide budget cuts, so we could not afford to have volunteers.

August 26, 2010 at 7:04 pm |
  9. Noah

I think the parents should get paid to get involved because they will help the school alot more.

August 26, 2010 at 7:40 pm |
  10. Olivia

I like the idea, it is going to get alot more parnets involed now, because they are getting paid. I think this will help the kids if the parnets get involed. It will also help the parnets, because they are getting money for thier child's collage savings, so it will help the parnets and the kids in the long run!

August 26, 2010 at 7:50 pm |
  11. Elise-Gabriel

I don't think parents should get payed to go to school events. Even if its going to a college savings acount.
    Some students may take it the wrong way. Thinking that their parent is only coming to this so they get payed and not to help them or their schools. It

August 26, 2010 at 7:58 pm |
  12. Peyton

I think that the parents won't except the money and that they shouldn't except the money they are working for a good thing and they should be proud of it. That is why it's called volunteer.

August 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  13. Diandra

I think it's okay because it's going to a good cause

August 26, 2010 at 8:36 pm |
  14. jacob

I think you should not have to pay the parents to get them involved in there childrins edication but it is nice to have money go to your college fund

August 26, 2010 at 8:39 pm |
  15. Nico

I thing the idea is agreeable.
    Parents get money for attending things about their child, and get money twordss their brighter future.

August 26, 2010 at 8:52 pm |
  16. nassib

I think that paying the parents is not a necessity, but it is well deserved encouragement.

August 26, 2010 at 9:00 pm |

No, parents should not get paid for attending school events because they will just attend school events so they can get money for their child's college so the parent will have a break from them.

August 26, 2010 at 9:45 pm |
  18. Bradley

We should pay the parents everytime their kids get good grades. If we pay for good grades, more parents would probably encourage their kids to do better. Also, kids might get excited about this and have more kids graduate and actually go to college insteadof paying parents for their kids who might not even go to college.

August 26, 2010 at 9:47 pm |
  19. Davido

I think it's a good idea to pay parents when they go to a open house or a conference because it will be easier for their child to go to college. Lets say a kid's mom and dad doesn't have enough money for their child to go to college, they can use the money they got from attending school open houses, conferences, etc.

August 26, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Kai

I agree that parents shouldn't have to be paid to get involved in schools. Parents should want to help in schools if they want the school systems to improve. It would also show their dedication in exceeding their child's education.

August 26, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  21. JJ

Good parents should always be involved in their children's education.; whether it is attending meetings or conferences. I think it is absurd paying people for it, when this is what they should do.

August 26, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Cornelous

Its a good thing because if parents actually cared for their child's education, they would go to the meeting and earn money for their students college payment.

August 26, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  23. jessie

IT may be right. who knows it may work, Parents will probably be more interested when money is in concern.

August 26, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  24. Edoardo

I think its outrageous to pay parents for attending school events. If they demand their children to do well at school, they have to be a part of it without any payment!

August 27, 2010 at 12:11 am |
  25. Samuel

I think that parents shouldn't have to be payed to get involved in their child's education. Every parent should be actively engaged in their child's educational progress, whether they are payed or not. A parent, who's job it is to push their children to succeed should not have to receive incentive to go to a conference. The incentive of being involved is to see the children improve their skills in school.

August 27, 2010 at 12:15 am |
  26. Min-je

I think that parents shouldn't go to all of these things to get payed. They should go to those kind of things to look how their children are doing in school, and to see how much they learned.

August 27, 2010 at 3:18 am |
  27. cindy

It is absurd to have to pay parents to do what they should be doing in the first place. And it should not just be limited to one district if they do, it should be for all schools then.

August 27, 2010 at 4:17 am |
  28. Clair

Well, I'm not sure. But I think 'parent's involving' is not a very good idea.
    Parent' s involving has many problems.
    For instance, what about these students-parents are dead or parents can't attend conference.
    If 'parents involving' happens, student who parent's can't attend conference could not get money of their collage savings.
    And orphans has enough misfortune! How can they manage if this involving happens?

August 27, 2010 at 4:26 am |
  29. Mrs. D

Paying parents to attend open house or conferences is ludicrous.
    It's their duty to be involved in their child's education; too many expect the schools to perform miracles and leave the responsible of not only educating but also parenting to faculty members and administrators. This fact is part of the reason why education is in such dire straights in this country.

August 27, 2010 at 6:05 am |
  30. Martina, Czech Republic

(1) It sounds to me as being very similar to working conditions in Greece before it had collapsed – people were given extra money for coming to work on time ... something which should be a normal part of your life...
    (2) Schools should motivate parents by other means than money... eg. by attractivity of a program of an event, etc. It shows how desperate and uncreative the schools must be – to use money to drag parents to school.

August 27, 2010 at 6:53 am |
  31. Lucas

Paying parents would make them eager to come and actually take interest in their children's education. That would be helpful for the kid's education.

August 27, 2010 at 7:01 am |
  32. Kyle

I don't think parents should get payed just for going to school events. It sends uot the wrong message.

August 27, 2010 at 7:35 am |
  33. Kelsy

I think paying for parents is a good idea. Becuase is their opportunities for meeting the teachers in the school, so they could know more about their child. Also, the money can also afford the university for there children.

August 27, 2010 at 7:42 am |
  34. economics(H)6th-per

I think that is the parent(s) responsability to be involve in its student education..And i am totally dissagre that when parents came to school events we do better in school.My parents never came to school and I am an A student. evenknow that is a great idea so the parents can be motivate to attend school events and get involve in the student education.

August 27, 2010 at 8:02 am |
  35. Kevin

I think parent should get paid because then parents will be more involved. When parents don't get paid they will just attend some activity like my mom and dad. This is why I agree that parents should get paid for joining school activities.

August 27, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  36. Jordyn

I think paying parents to come to events shouldn't be allowed. It's the parents' job to come and participate in their child's education; they shouldn't be paid for it.

August 27, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  37. Ms. Miles class

Shanyia:
    Parents should not be paid to come to conferences when they need to check on their child and see how they are doing in school because
    they are suppose to do things like that!
    JaMese:
    I think the parents should get paid because if they come to open house or a play, the money can go to a college fund and help with getting a good education.

Matthew;
    I think parents should get paid so they can come more often.

Tyler:
    Sometimes parents cant come because they have to work. But I would like for my parents to come more often, so this may help!

August 27, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  38. Marc

Even if it is what parents should do anyway, I like the idea. More parent involvement at the school will mean more money for their student to go to college... money that the family maybe doesn't have.

August 27, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  39. Lara

I really think that this is a good way to develop students education because thanks to this payment parent will be able to pay their kids education and get them ready for the future.

August 27, 2010 at 9:31 am |
  40. Melissa

I think that they should try the paying parents idea for a while and do a study to compare the children of parents being paid to go to school events, parents who are not paid but go anyway, and parents who do not go at all. If the study shows that paying parents helps the children do better in school, then they could go ahead with their plan, and if not, they could quit it. It would probably take several years, but I think it would be very interesting to find out the results of such an experiment.

August 27, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  41. Mr. Johnson's 4th Grade Class

All we heard about in the election was that teachers need to be paid more. So instead we are going to take that money and pay parents for a job they should do for free? We're wondering what's next? Paying kids to eat all their vegetables?

August 27, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  42. brad

i think that the parents will appreciate the payment for the kids because that is showing thanks for the hard work and effort that the parents put into day in and day out. The other side of the story is that the school system and board will not like as much because they are spending the schools money and with the economy today we all know funds are running low. The conclusion for me is that i think its a good idea because this will get parents involved in there kids grades and conduct and for the ones that already are will show there appreciation.

August 27, 2010 at 10:21 am |
  43. blair

i think they should give parents moeny for students

August 27, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  44. kamisha

i think it is crazy for schools to pay for parents to come to school the school system barley has enough money as it is so why waste it on things that arent important

August 27, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  45. cynthia

i think it's a pretty dumb idea. i mean a parent should be part of the student's ediucation without having to be payed! T

August 27, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  46. Mr. Wetherington's 1st period

It's a good idea because any help toward college is good in this economy...R.

I feel like the parents would just go for the money which is not a good reason...G

August 27, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  47. cynthia

i think it's a pretty dumb idea! i mean a parent should be part of his?her education without having to be payed! to me it's sort of like a bribe!

August 27, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  48. Christina

I really dont like the idea of paying parents. It's pretty hard for parents to drive and back and forrth to the school because parents have jobs and have a really busy schedule. Trying to make parents come by bribing them with money isnt going to make any difference that just means there going to go just to get money! i just think it is really dumb idea!!

August 27, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  49. Perry

I dont think parents should be payed just be involved in their childs school they should want to know what happens with their kids at school and its a waste of money.

August 27, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  50. zachery

paying parents to come to a meet a theacher is stupid they are supposed to go anyways and not get paid.

August 27, 2010 at 10:33 am |
  51. Harley

I dont believe paying parents is the right way to go. The government already is having money issues with the high unemployment rate. Parents should want to come to their child's school functions without being bribed with money. Im sure their is some other way to get them to come.

August 27, 2010 at 10:33 am |
  52. Clara

I think it has positve and negative effects at the same time. Negative because this country doesnt even have jobs that will pay people but it has money to give away to parents who should be going to see how their kids are doing in school anyway. Positive simply beacuse the parents would go see how their kids are doing.

August 27, 2010 at 10:34 am |
  53. Bonnie

I think that it is Furthermore Ridiculous because if you have to pay a parent to go in the first place and they didn't go before that just shows how unsupportive and lazy some parents can be. The people who deserve to be paid is the parents all these years that have been active and supportive for their kids!

August 27, 2010 at 10:35 am |
  54. taylor

i think that if it gets parents to help their child better, the school should pay parents!

August 27, 2010 at 10:35 am |
  55. Jason

I think that we should not pay parents to come and get involved in our educations. they should do it voluntarilly and be proud of us and support us whenever we need help. Plus our economy isnt at its best right now so paying parents would be a waste of money.

August 27, 2010 at 10:35 am |
  56. Bonnie

The states already broke enough from This "depression" so thats just another unneccesary thing To WASTE money on

August 27, 2010 at 10:36 am |

I think doing this is a great idea. It will get parent more involve with their children and it will also help with with college funds for people that can't afford it.

August 27, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  58. Bonnie

More Money for me as a Teenager i need all the money i can get so PAY UP

August 27, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  59. marlene

i think parents should not be paid to come and be there for us . they should do it becouse they want us to be better people and be someone in life . paying them to be there does not mean they will be there couse they want to.

August 27, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  60. Jennifer

This idea is absolutely absurd and a juvenile idea. If the school is hoping to gain parent support, they are going about it all wrong. Parents would not be attending school functions to support their children; they would be going to get money. What ever happened to supporting children unconditionally?

Oh, by the way – where does the money come from?

August 27, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  61. Richard

Parents should be there anyways because that is their responsibility not because of a possible money incentive.

August 27, 2010 at 10:44 am |
  62. Payton

I think it is a good thing when parents are involved. I also like the idea that the child will get money for college. What I don't like is that parents may just use this as a way to get their kids money and not really care about it. To be involved you actually have to want to be there, not just go to get money.

August 27, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  63. Jake

I do not believe parents should be paid for going to their child's events. The parents need to feel obligated to go, to show their support for their child and their school.

August 27, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  64. Gina

I want that money!! If parents want their kids to get a good education, then having a way to help pay for college should be a good reason to attend the events.

August 27, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  65. Crystal

I think schools shouldn't be paying parents to go to school events and all those things. They should WANT to go to the events... not feel like its a chore. Plus, some students might not want their parents there. They might feel pressured and feel more obligated to do better and not have fun!

August 27, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  66. Richard

Even if this motivates ore parents to come to school events there will still be those who don't. This is bad because it will be hurting student who's parents don't come both because there parents don't come and also wont be getting the money for college.

August 27, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  67. Cortney

I think that paying parents is a good idea. When any parent is involved in their child's life it makes a difference. If the parents would come to all of the conferences and events it shows the child that they care about them and want them to succeed; so the student would try harder for their parents approval. If the student knows they are eventually getting money for college by their parents going, they will push for their parents to be involved.

August 27, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  68. Lukas

I'm really not sure what to think about this subject. I believe that parents shouldn't have to be paid to be involved in their child's lives but on the other hand I also believe that it's a good thing to have money going into the child's college fund.

August 27, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  69. Kirstie

I don't think parents should be paid to get involved in students education. I think it's just a waste of money. Money that schools don't have. I think that schools could use that money for other spending's that are more important such as scholarships or new books and supplies. Parents shouldn't have to be paid to watch over their childrens education and help get their kids in college. If I were a parent i would do it all on my own and help my kids they way my parents helped me. I just think that money could be for a better use for schools.

August 27, 2010 at 10:50 am |
  70. Elizabeth

Parents should want to come to their kids' school events without pay. It is their job as a parent to be supportive. Paying parents adds a negative connotation to school functions. It will give people the idea that parents are not really there for support, but for monetary gain. The money spent on paying parents should be spent on the activities themselves, not the attendance.

August 27, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  71. John

I think that this is yet another example of frivolous spending by the government. Instead of spending that money towards a college fund to kids whose parents who have time to come to those events, it could be spent toward scholarships that could be given to kids whose parents are too busy because they struggle with making ends meet. And if the government wants to promote saving, perhaps it should lead by example.

August 27, 2010 at 10:55 am |
  72. Ludwig

Our 7th grade current events class thinks the payments are unnecessary. It is a parent responsibility to attend. It could be too crowded and cause other problems.

August 27, 2010 at 10:57 am |
  73. Davis

I agree with paying parents, because there are alot of parents who can't afford college funds. Especially if the parents want their children to suceed in life, paying parents would be a great thing to do.

August 27, 2010 at 11:07 am |
  74. Andrew

This is an idea that might get more kids into college, but bribing parents? That's something that might bankrupt schools!

August 27, 2010 at 11:14 am |
  75. Nicole

I think that it is wrong that they are paying parents to go to the school and be educated with them. You should not have to pay parents, the parents should be willing to go and be educated with there kids.

August 27, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  76. Mr. Wetherington's 2nd period

Its wrong because parents are being paid for something they should be doing anyway...A

The type of parent who would show up for money is probably the type of parent who doesn't help at home...EJ
    The money is good because the money is for a good cause...J
    It is a responsibilty to help your kids so you should not have to be paid...T

I think its wrong ...but if it gets parents more involved it could be good. B

August 27, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  77. Gabby

I think that parents should be involved in the students school work. I'm a student and I have my parents help me with work, and I would love it if my parents were payed because that gives me a better chance at college.

August 27, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  78. Danielle

This policy will allow more people to participate in your school. The more perspectives represented, the better the school will become. Parents already spend enough money on school materials, uniforms, and field trips...isn't it about time parents get something in return? At least this way helps parents get their kids to college.

August 27, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  79. Mr. Holder

I disklike the idea of paying parents to encourage them to do something that they should want to do for the sake of their kids. However, I do like the idea of parents being able to earn money for their kids to go to college by participating.

August 27, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  80. Mr. Wetherington's 3rd period

-Its a good idea but the money should be spent to buy student school supplies..M

-Parents should not be paid because they will come just for the money....parents should come anyway... S

Its a good idea because you always need money in college...

What if the kid decides not attend collage?

August 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
  81. Meg

I think that you shouldn't have to pay parents to be involved in their kid's school. I think that if they really want their kids to do well, then they should be involved anyway.

August 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
  82. Kara

I do not think paying parents to come to school events and/or conferences is a good idea. That is just one more way that the government is wasting our tax dollars on something that isn't needed. If we have extra money to spend on America's schools, it should go toward more materials to teach with, more updated facilities, and teacher raises. Parents should attend school events simply to be supportive of their children. That's your responsibility as a parent.

August 27, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
  83. Tazhane'

Money should not buy an education – parents should be supportive because they want to be supportive, not to get money.

August 27, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  84. Mr. Letizia's classes

The majority of students in our classes were against the idea of
    paying parents to attend their children's school activities. Some
    felt it should be based on level of income, so those less able to
    pay for college would benefit.

August 27, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
  85. Wilson

Our class was interested in finding out more specific details about the idea of paying parents to attend school functions. For example, How much money do parents receive for attending a function? What happens to the money if the student does not attend college – can it be used for vocational education? It seems like schools everywhere are in tough economic times, are other programs impacted negatively by using the money in this manner? We have these and many more questions. We can say this topic generated a lot of discussion and strong opinions.

August 27, 2010 at 1:52 pm |
  86. Carlos

I think its a good idea because some people cant afford to pay for college and they might need the financial help.

August 27, 2010 at 2:04 pm |
  87. Jose

Its good that the parents get paid to go to school events, but they should also go to their child's events in school no matter what. So my answer is yes and no.

August 27, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  88. Felix

I believe parents should get paid because it helps the kids stay occupied with something productive to do academically instead of being on the street and give them a chance at a college education.

August 27, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  89. George

I think it's a bad idea because parents should be attending these events anyway.

August 27, 2010 at 2:08 pm |
  90. Gregory

I think its a good idea the school is paying parents to attend after school functions because it encourages involvement with their child's educational activities. Since the parents pay taxes its basically their money and it will also increase graduation rates.

August 27, 2010 at 2:09 pm |

no it wouldn't make sense to pay parents just for coming to events like parent/ teacher conference.i think it should only be about to see how your child is doing. and parents already get paid just for working

August 27, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  92. youty

I think that parents should not pay the school for letting there child go to school because the school really needs the money for school supplies for the students.Plus the parents are the one who have to pay the school for letting there child join the school

August 27, 2010 at 2:10 pm |
  93. anonymous

no because parents should go to those kind of things such as parent teacher conferences.

August 27, 2010 at 2:11 pm |
  94. Anthony

You cant say its bad for the parents that already go to their child's functions. The people who are going just to get money for their child's education are using that as an excuse to not have to pay for their child's college education.

August 27, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  95. John

I think its not a good idea because parents always need to attend their child's educational and sports activities because that's the responsibility of a parent.

August 27, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
  96. jasmine

i think schools shouldn't pay parents to go to school events because that's like bribing the parents with money

August 27, 2010 at 2:15 pm |
  97. ANONYMOUS

I DISAGREE ABOUT PAYING PARENTS TO COME TO EVENTS BECAUSE THEY SHOULD COME TO THEIR CHILD EVENTS EVEN IF THEYRE GETTING PAID OR NOT. THEY SHOULD CARE FOR THEY KIDS EVENT EVEN IF THEY ARE GETTING PAID

August 27, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  98. Roshun

I think the school should pay the parents for going to school events because the child can't get all their money for college themselves.

August 27, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  99. Ginger

In my opinion,parents should want to be involved with their childs education. I could understand paying parents to save for college more if it was having the parents more involved in helping with the school by doing fundraisers or setting up dinners at games.

August 27, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  100. Taleisha

I think that paying the parents would be a good way for a student to perform much better in school.A little something for everybody.

August 27, 2010 at 2:26 pm |
  101. latavia

I think the school should pay are parent because they work hard for stuff at school like actives and other stuff in the economy and the economy is making parent do taxes on sales items in grocery stores and other supermarkets.

August 27, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
  102. kenia

I think yes because our parents work hard to learn and they are not going to work because they have to learn so they need money and if they don't have money they are not going to pay the materials and they wont go to school and they wont have students at school.

August 27, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
  103. Mrs. Slette's Class

We believe parent's should not be paid, even though the money would be used for college. Students who are successful in school already have parent support and receive scholarships and such. Students who struggle with school should still have parent support because it is their job. Attending school is our job, and supporting us in school is their job.

August 27, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  104. Shania

I think highly that it would be wrong to pay the parents to come see THEIR child do something efficient. If I was a mom I would go to every open house, conference, or play of whatever the child wanted me at. I think that if you have to be payed to go see your child you shouldn't be a parent at all.

August 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
  105. Davis

i think its not right because they are susposed to be suporting their children, even though its helping their college funds.

August 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  106. Fields

As an involved parent I think its a good gesture. Only because your child would benefit greatly from it. No cash is actually being handed to any parent/guardian so to me its no harm no foul. I don't believe that this is enough to make those who are ordinarily not involved become more involved. You have to care enough about your child's education to be motivated to be hands on. Rather there is a "monetary" incentive or not......

August 27, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  107. Vita

Paying parents to attend school functions is not o.k. Having a parent willingly join in functions is what helps a student's grades, not the other way around.

August 27, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
  108. Jacqueline

I think its not right to pay parents because they should come by themselves if they care about their children

August 27, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
  109. Christie

I think that school should not have to pay parents to participate in school events. Parents should already be motivated to attend school functions just for their child's well being.

August 27, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  110. Nohemy

Its a good idea because the money goes towards college funds that would provide opportunities for the student's future.

August 27, 2010 at 3:16 pm |
  111. Sean

I think its wrong to pay the parents because the school will lose money and the parents is gaining everything.

August 27, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  112. Brett

Im both against and in favor. It help the parents save for college and gets the parents to help support the child.

August 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
  113. Shelby

I think that they shouldn't pay parents because they should be willing to step up to help their child not because they are payed. Also that doesn't mean it will help the child if the parents go they could have just gone for the money.

August 27, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
  114. Mia

I feel that the parents shouldn't be paid to attend school functions because your parents should be in your life anyway.

August 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  115. April

I don't think its a good idea to pay parents because the money that the state has set aside to fund the program is not enough even if the program is a success.

August 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm |
  116. Emile

No matter what schools try to do, it will never change the mind of a parent who doesn't want to be a part of their child's life.

August 27, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  117. Chrystal

I feel that the school should not have to pay the parents to attend their child's events because when it comes down to your child's education parents should be supportive no matter what.

August 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  118. Danielle

I don't think its right that the school is paying parents to go to events because if a parents wants to go they are going to go anyway.

August 27, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  119. Kerstie

Paying parents to attend school functions would be sending the wrong message because parents should be a part of their child's life no matter what.

August 27, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  120. Stephanie

I think its wrong to pay parents for doing what they are supposed to do anyway, and that money could be used for more important purposes such as fighting poverty.

August 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm |
  121. Shannon

I think the idea is coming from the right perspective, however the amount of money offering is no where near enough for a student to afford a college education.

August 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  122. Jackie

I think its a bad idea because if the parents wanted to come to school, they could come anyways and they could use the money to help the school instead.

August 27, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
  123. josselyn

I believe that parents deserve the right to know about how students are doing in school. However, paying parents just because they attend open houses and "care" about their child isn't a good way to make parents help their child or children become successful. It's as if the schools are saying "if you come here, you're gonna help your child by getting the money to get help." It doesn't make sense.

August 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  124. kristian

Parents should want to go to their kids school functions instead of being bribed to go. I think parents should just want to go. I think it's stupid.

August 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  125. Mckenzi

I think that students can get an education by themselves so I dont think that just because parents come to school activities that they should get money but school is sometimes very expensive.

August 27, 2010 at 5:06 pm |
  126. rosendo

i dont think thats right cause parents have to raise thier child like their parents did...

August 27, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  127. Ryan

No, I dont Think People Should Have To pay their parents and stuff.

August 27, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  128. zack

I think it is a good idea to help pay for their students collage.

August 27, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  129. Leslie

Parents are suppose to be involved in their childs life any way. People shouldn't have to pay them to do the right thing. Why should our tax dolars go to lazy parents, who dont care. Going to your childs open house because your getting payed to do so isnt right. You should go because it is the right thing and to help your child suceed and do better in life than you did.

August 27, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  130. Addison

I think that you should not get payed because of going to your kids school events. It is just unprofessional and tacky. You just always go to your kids school every time there. That is just in my perspective.

August 27, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  131. Evelyn

Parents shouldn't get payed when they play an active part in their kids live. They should already be doing that! But more often then not parents don't play a part in their kids lives.

August 27, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  132. Andrew

They are bribing the parents to get them involved in their children's lives and education. This may help the student's college fund but sends the message that the student's own parents have to be paid to be involved, so in the long term it does not help the kids. The best way is not to pay them but support and show them the benefits of involvement. The public needs to step up and vote against the payment to parents. If they go ahead with the proposal, it will only last until the next budget agreement at max.

August 27, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  133. Shane

I think as long as they put the money in a college fund and not give it directly to the parents it will be fine.

August 27, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  134. andrew

I believe that parents shound already be involed,and not haft to get payed. If thier not well thats just bad parenting.

August 27, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  135. maggie

parents should no be payed they should want to be involved because its there kids!!

August 27, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  136. Jana

You shouldn't pay parents to get involved with a student's school. The adult should get involved when they can and if they want. Due to, crowded schedules and busy day the mother or father may not be able to attend a PTA meeting or the open house. Its their responsibility to take part when they can, not the school's.

August 27, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  137. Vicky

I say it's a good idea because it gets parents involved with the child. Also the money could help the less fortunate families with the college fund.

August 27, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  138. Kylie

Parents are responsible for their children. It's their responsibility feed them, protect them and of course, educate them. Educating their childeren is responsibility, and nobody is paid for doing what they had to do.

August 27, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  139. Abby

Students need to learn to stand on their own. Students also need to know that when they have a good education the will earn what is called Keys Money.

August 27, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  140. Clayton

I am in the middle here. I think parents should be involved in school without money involved. However, this would encourage parents to participate more and help the less fortunate parents, who can help save for college. It crazy the things they do these days.

August 27, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  141. Jessica

I think parents getting involved would be great! It would really motivate me to try harder and save for college. It also might help a family who could have financial trouble to pay for their child or children's college education.

August 27, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  142. Marilyn

No parent (NO PARENT) is too busy to attend an open house or a parent teacher conference. If they are, they are guilty not only of poor parenting but of questionable priorities and poor managing of their time. This "reward plan" is just another concession to those parents who refuse to be accountable for their actions and responsible for their children's education. I suspect the plan would fail anyway, because uninvolved parents probably don't think of college as a priority for their kids anyway. Parents need to do the right thing whether it's convenient or not. If they can't man-up and be responsible, they shouldn't be parents.

August 27, 2010 at 6:58 pm |
  143. madison

paying parents to go to their child's school program,or any sports game is just not right. i see the concept why they would want to pay parents to go to their child's sports or etc. but i wouldn't be happy if I knew the only reason my parents were watching me at whatever i choose to do is because they are getting paid.

August 27, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  144. Marita

I think that paying parents is dumb because it's their job. It is like paying someone to do something volunteerily. However, it will get parents to get involved with their children's work and help them to become more successful.

August 27, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  145. Cecilia

i dont think they should pay parents to attend school open houses and conferences they should attend without paying parents its just not rite.

August 27, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  146. Megan

I think that the parents should know what's right for their child, and hearing this idea, I think parents shouldnt have to get paid, they should do it for their child.

August 27, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  147. Yae Jin

I think paying for the parents who attend to the school events is not good. I also think it is very unique way, however it has several severe problems. First, if school do this way, how about working parents? It also said the school will give money for child's college savings. Then, the working parents will get a big disadvantage. Second, paying money for making parents to attend school events is commercial I think. I think the school will make parents to participate with their volition like wanting to know about their children.

August 27, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  148. Selena

Paying parents for their obligations is ridiculous. Parents need to be involved in their kid's lives, without money being included.

August 27, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  149. Nick

I don't agree with this because parents should be able to go to school events on their own will and the kids should be able to work for money for their college funds.

August 27, 2010 at 7:33 pm |
  150. Sara

I think its wrong to pay parents to go to school events,it's bribery.

August 27, 2010 at 7:39 pm |
  151. Alice

I believe paying parents is a bad idea.
    If you pay parents to get involved, they get involved only for the money.
    They'll participate for the money and then not pay attention to the the conference.

August 27, 2010 at 7:46 pm |
  152. Mathena

I bevive that our parent's should get payed, because then more parent's would want to particapate in the schools. Then agian some schools might bribe the parent's to do stuff that they dont want to do.

August 27, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  153. Angie

I think its just seriously wrong. Real parents who truthfully care about their child will be invovled in his/her education. Parents getting invovled is something that should be done without the government paying them, and is something they do on their own.

August 27, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
  154. Trista

I think that parents should be more invovled in their childrens lives but paying them to do so is kind of ridiculous. If parents aren't willing to go on their on will then that just shows how little they care. It is the parents choice on whether or not they go. Even if the money goes in the childs collage fund it could hurt the kids feelings when they realize that there parents come just to get payed.

August 27, 2010 at 8:36 pm |
  155. summer

I think it would help the kids.I just feel the parents do need to help us in work alot.

August 27, 2010 at 8:45 pm |
  156. lorena

I really don't think they should pay parents just to attend school events it should be them wanting to go than just going to get paid. A question is what if the student does not attend college what would happen to the money ? or could it be reteired by the student when it reaches age if they don't attend college

August 27, 2010 at 8:47 pm |
  157. anne

Parents are people who helps there child to educate and study. when parents help there children they should do it with a heart full of love and mind of making there children more intelligent persons , not because of the money.

August 27, 2010 at 8:48 pm |
  158. Alexis

I think that paying the parents is really unessential. The parents should want to come to events because it means they actually care about what goes on, not the money the college savings get.

August 27, 2010 at 8:48 pm |
  159. Lauren

I think that paying our parents would be a BIG help in saving for a good high school. With every thing going on in the economy,that would be the right idea.

August 27, 2010 at 8:52 pm |
  160. Heather

I think it would be a good idea for the parents to get paid for the child s college fund. But,were does the money come from and what if the child didn't go to college?

August 27, 2010 at 9:09 pm |
  161. Rachel

I think it's ridiculous that people would even consider to pay parents to come to school meetings. Our economy is bad enough as it is; we should spend that money on more important things like helping people in Afghanistan.

August 27, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
  162. Rachel

I think it's ridiculous that people would even consider to pay parents to come to school meetings. Our economy is bad enough as it is; we should spend that money on more important things like helping people in Pakistan.

August 27, 2010 at 9:27 pm |
  163. Grant

I think it is a bad idea cause maybe the parents might spend it on something they don't need and it takes money from the school district. As a student in the Olathe, KS school district i think the that we don't need money to succeed, the teachers are the ones who are important cause they teach you to do your best.

August 27, 2010 at 9:36 pm |
  164. Briley

I don't think it's right to pay parents to come to school event's as a bribe sort of thing, but I do think it's a good idea to give money to the parents that come reguarly for the kid's college funds.

August 27, 2010 at 9:41 pm |
  165. Judith

I think that parents should just be interested in their kids stuff at school. Parents should go to school functions not so they can be paid for it but because they are genuinely interested.

August 27, 2010 at 9:56 pm |
  166. Colton

I think that parents being interactive with the school should get money because the students will start getting more interactive and they'll have a better chance of actually using the money given to them for college. It makes the students get a higher chance of succeeding in their education.

August 27, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  167. Desiree'

I think it's a good idea to give parents money to go to school stuff. So when the student of that parent can go to college when he/she can.

August 27, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  168. hailey *

Well it goes to a collage savings so its ok but it is kind of giving off the wrong singal

August 27, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  169. Dominic fjh

I think that paying parents to get involved also it would make schools loose money when they're suposed to raise it.

August 27, 2010 at 11:06 pm |
  170. Elliott

I think it would be okay for the school to pay the parents for a few parental events, but after some extent I believe parents should advocate for their child themselves.

August 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  171. Brett

Paying parents is a good way to build a childs college fund, in my oppinion. College is expensive, and some people need help to reach the amount of money needed. Besides, why not?

August 28, 2010 at 12:38 am |
  172. Scott

Schools should't have to pay the parents that just set a bad example on their kids.All the money thats going to the parents should go to supplies.The parents are the ones hurting their kids education

August 28, 2010 at 12:49 am |
  173. Robert

If it is for the future of a child involving college granting a child a degree in a college course, then a future is more promised, then without attending college. Which is now a lessend chance, because of the economic droping with the rising prices. So a family may have to either wait past the general age of the child to attend, or may not be able to send the child to college. Setting back the job oppertunites of a new adault, giving him or her the only route of a low rate occupation. Held on recording in a perminant file, drgrading a child seeking imployment which in our age is becoming very more crutial.
    Also, the parents do not physically recive the currency that is given once they attend to PTA meetings, or events at their child's school. So the money is locked in a fund until the child attends college, and can not be touched until the child takes it out for the funds. So people should not find it to be unfair, or breaking the rules of duties that parents need to take, but to give them a sealed entry into a college without concerning themselves of families, or the child theslves.

August 28, 2010 at 12:54 am |
  174. Sam

I believe that it's a bad idea to pay parents to attend school functions. Parents should want to go t the functions to see who is teaching their children. Paying parents to go to functions would be like paying kids to go to school. It's a crazy idea. Kids go to school because they have to and school teaches life lessons and skills needed to be successful in the future. That should be the same with parents. They should go to school events because they should take an interest in their child's education. Not because they're getting paid.

August 28, 2010 at 1:01 am |
  175. Christian

Why should you pay? The kid is already in the school so the parents don't need to pay anything for participate in a school program.

August 28, 2010 at 2:23 am |
  176. Amira

I think paying parents is a good idea to build up college savings, but I don't really see how that works. As a parent, it fits for them to go to school conferences, but paying for what they're kind of supposed to do doesn't really makes sense. If they pay parents to come, which is trying to make them come into the building, parents would mostly be going there because of the college money, not the interest of actually being there and listening to what their child has been doing. College is important too, but so are all the other schools.

August 28, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  177. Dasol

Paying parents for participating school events is a fresh idea and I think it's good. To change the reality that many parents are not likely to involve in school, paying a little money is okay when it can help children's education.

August 28, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  178. Simeone

I thnk they shouldn't do that because some kids may not want to go to college. Then they ar ejust paying the kids for nothing. It's the kids' choice if they want to go to college or not. If they hand out money and they don't want to go to college, then what will they use it for.

August 28, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  179. Rachel

I think it's a good idea that the school is putting the money away to the students college fund. However I don't think that money should be the reason why parents are involved. A parent should apply themselves in their child's school whenever they can, It dosn't matter whether money is involved or not.

August 28, 2010 at 11:31 am |
  180. Nathan

Parents shouldn't be paid to help with their kids education. Kids want to know that their parent came to support them, not to gain money. It'll only put the country more in dept.

August 28, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  181. lindsey

i think it is kinda good kinda bad because that it is going into there collage funds but i dont think it is good brib there parents to come to school functions

August 28, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  182. Emma

my opinion on paying parents is that it is really dumb .
    i meen if a parent really loves ther child they would go to their events for free ,but on the other hand i think there should be a way for younger students to save up for college . SO I THINKthe state should help with a program to help parents pay for college.

August 28, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
  183. Angela

I think paying the parents to come to meetings and such is not a good idea because if some of the parents never come in the first place but then come they are probably only coming for the money and don't really care about the rest of it.

August 28, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  184. jay

I don't think its right to pay parents for coming to school events beacause parents should come even if theydont get paid

August 28, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
  185. Holly

i think parents should get paid for what they must/have do to keep there child up to date on class work/home work or just by attending there meetings with the school bored. but even though it's for the child's education it might not be a bad idea and there for i say do it. because the cost of the collage books keep rising and they don't use the same books every year there in collage.

August 28, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  186. seth

I do not think people should be bribed to attend school events.

August 28, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  187. Cori

It's a waste of money for schools to pay parents to attend events because it doesn't guarantee the parents' involvement in the student's education. Just because a parent comes to an event doesn't necessarily mean that they will participate in or even take interest in the event itself. If a student goes to class but doesn't listen or participate, they won't learn anything. Parents would most likely be the same way. If they weren't involved in the first place, they aren't much more likely to be involved if they just show up.

August 28, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  188. Kasey

I don't think that the school should pay the parents because they should go to school ocasions without being bribed.

August 28, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  189. chris

i think its kind of cool but somtimes some parents will take advantage of it and go everytime and not give others a chance to get college money

August 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm |
  190. Shi-Heng

I think it's a very good idea because if a kid's parents doesn't have enough money for their child to go to college they can use the money they got from school conferences.

August 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm |
  191. Lili

Students who do better in school because of parents going to their school functions do better because their parents will go just because they want to, not because they get paid. Parents shouldn't have to have an incentive to go to school functions.

August 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  192. Hyun

Parents and child should be connected in education as well as life.
    But paying parents hinder child's independence.
    Child should develope independence. Independence is very important to child. Child become a man. And then they should live by themselves. So paying parents is just overprotectiveness.

August 29, 2010 at 12:46 am |
  193. Claire

I don't think that parents should be paid to care about their child's school. But the money will help the kids later in school. So its not a completely bad idea.

August 29, 2010 at 1:16 am |

I think that paying parents to go to school events makes people think that no one actually wants to go to the events, so they have to bribe them in order to make them come.

August 29, 2010 at 4:46 am |
  195. sydney

i think that paying parents is wrong but that it WILL attract more parent to important meetings. it benefits the school and the students.

August 29, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  196. Alejandra

Many parents don't bother to even know what is going around in school if its an open house or a parent conference they don't have the time and just don't care. Once they would get paid for it, it would totally make a difference because everyone would go. This would be a huge benefit to the students, now a days parents aren't putting money for college they would just spend it on things that aren't with great importance. Delaware will have it 100% sure that students will have money for a college and won't drop out of school just because they don't have the money to pay for school. If parents wants to see there children successful and with funds for college they would be going to all the meetings, open house, ext and look at this as and opportunity. I really like this idea and I encourage them to do it in other states too that way no students will back down and fail.

August 29, 2010 at 11:56 am |
  197. anne marie

I think parents should be in a child`s life anyway.They shouldn`t have to be payed and they sholdn`t have to go if they don`t want to.It would be good for the needy hildren but for the one`s doing just fine no and that wouldn`t be considered paying the parent`s to come.If they were needy it would be onsidered charity-not pay.

August 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  198. Benjie

I think it is a good thing because if the student goes to college then they will have money already to pay for some of their college or all of theier college.

August 29, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  199. Todd

I think that prents should not be payed to come to school functions because their children need them to come and they should not be bribed.

August 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm |
  200. Paige

I disagree with paying parents to get involved. I believe that it is the parents’ responsibility to support their children and the school that they attend. Parents should not have to, or want to be bribed into getting involved with their children’s lives.

August 29, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
  201. Jessica

I think that Parents should not get payed. The parents should go to school event because they want to not because they get payed. That shows that the parent doesn't even care about the event, just the money.

August 29, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
  202. Delaney

Hey there. I believe paying parents is a wrong thing to do. Parents should do the job of being parents and go to their kids school events without being payed. Its the right the thing to do. Plus, it shows the wrong example to their kids.

August 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  203. kayla...

i think that parents deserve the right to know about how their children are doing in school,but i don't think we should be paying them to come to school things cause of the economic issues right now in the state/nation.... we are already struggling for money, like people are already losing their jobs at schools. In my opinion if they can pay for parents to do thing i think they can pay for more teachers at that school.

August 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  204. Deborah

I'm not going to say that it's completely horrible, because the parents are helping out, but if people are paying the parents to help, isn't that considered bribing them?

August 29, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  205. ayana

i think paying our parents is a good and a bad idea first why its good because it helps the students with their students loans for college and a bad idea because you shouldn`t have to pay parents to attend a event they should always come to support not only their kids but the school to and it makes them look good as a parent

– ayana *_*

August 29, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  206. Lucille

I think parents shouldn't be payed for attending school things.
    The money that will help students to go to college, that is a good thing, but that's just a personal thing. What if the stundent doesn't want to go to college? Parents attending school events, it's just a thing for them to know about what's going on in their childeren's school, there's no need to pay them to tell them that.

August 29, 2010 at 6:01 pm |
  207. julia

i dont think it is a very good idea because some kids parents cant make it to the meeting because they might have a job or some thing else

August 29, 2010 at 7:00 pm |
  208. Dee

THis is another example of the school trying to be parents. They are treating the parents like kids by paying them to go to a school function. If a parent wants to be involved in their children's lives they would go regardless if they get money. And for the other parents that don't care they still won't care because the money isn't going to them but the kids.

August 29, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
  209. Theodore

I disagree with this new college funding idea. Students should strive to go to college and should not be bribed into college. Parents have to help them reach their goal, it's part of being a parent. The goverment should not intervene by this "legal" form of bribery.

August 29, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  210. Raini

Paying parents is a sign that a school system isn't so productive. If they want family members to get more involved, then the school needs to have more to get involved in! Money is just an exuse to have people show up. I would rather my mom or dad say that they show up to my school to see what other kids and I do during our day, than they are payed money to go.

August 29, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
  211. Josh

I think paying parents to participate in their childs life is wrong. They shouldn't have to be bribed to come to school activities.

August 29, 2010 at 7:52 pm |
  212. Ryan

I believe that parents shouldn't have to be paid to go to school meetings and functions. Parents should know that it's their job to participate in their child's school, not just another paycheck.

August 29, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
  213. Seyun

Not all parents care for their children's eduacation. There are still some who are ignorant about education or too busy to consider. . However, by giving money, there will be more parents who will be interested in going to school fairs, which will, eventually, help the parents care their child more, and establish a strong relation between parent and child.

August 29, 2010 at 9:27 pm |
  214. KEITH

I think that prents should be apart of their child's life. Its the job of the school to teach the childen and its the parents job to inspire them and they shouldnt be paid for doing something that they should be doing anyways, and it come send the wrong message to their child.

August 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  215. Benjamin

Why pay parents? If they get payed to come to a school event. I want to get paid for coming to school!

August 29, 2010 at 11:27 pm |

I think that parents should get the money when they participate in school activities because then even the students from low income families might get a chance to go to college with a simple way to get money for tution

August 30, 2010 at 3:30 am |
  217. at ams

i Think that they should pay parents for going. because if they do then that money can go to collage and the money from there jobs can go to bills. In the end less poeple would become poor because they only have to pay for the bills and the school money the parents get from going to a school event will be going to a collage fund.

August 30, 2010 at 8:32 am |
  218. austin

yes i think that parents should get paid to go becasue if they get that money it would help with collage, and paying bills. aand in the end less
    people would be needing money.

August 30, 2010 at 8:35 am |
  219. Julie

i believe your parents or parent should be involved in what you do in your education. Your parent or parent shouldn't have to be paid to join in with the education of your child, I think you should be excited to help part in your child's education in growth.

August 30, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  220. Jack

I think paying parents to come to back to school night and things like that is werid but it would get parents to come to more after school things.

August 30, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  221. Dani

I think that parents shouldn't get paid for what they are supposed to do but, if they have to at least it all goes to the students college fund and not just money for the parents to spend on whatever they like.

August 30, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  222. McKenzie

I think parents should sometimes be payed for getting involved. Each student should have an agenda, the parent should sign it if they helped their child. Then, after nine weeks parents should get payed.

August 30, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  223. Burak

Parents can absolutely take care of their children. How? It is like having a car. If you do not check and control the car, It might create problems and as a result you can loose your life. Same thing with children... On the other hand as a parent, you should make money for better life and provide a good education for children.... People who succeed in the life can manage the every different aspects at the same time...

If you wanna have children who love you, have a good personality and are a useful for country, you should know how to have it both ways...

August 30, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  224. Dacia

Parents should not get paid because they are suposed to be a part in their childs life and their school activities.

August 30, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  225. Natalie

I think parents shouldn't get paid if they won't even pay attention to their childs academics. If the child is doing good in school then they'll recieve scholorships.

August 30, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  226. Brianna

I don't think that parents should be paid to get involved in their child's school. But I do think that if it is necessary then at least it will be put forth to the child's college education. But what if the child doesn't plan on going to college? What then? Will all that money be put to waste??

August 30, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  227. Nick

I believe it is a good AND bad thing the school is giving parents money for their children's college funds. As many know college is expensive, and many families do not have the money to pay for their kid's college expences, which in turn make it harder for them to get a well paying job. See the pattern? If the schools help this, it can lead to better futures for the children that they may not have been able to get before. Although it is bad because it is entirely possible that the schools do not realize that all this money has to come from somewhere, and if they hand TOO much out, the school may wind up in debt, making it harder to have newer tools and resources for the children and teachers, and possible job cuts. But as far as paying the parents to do what they are supposed to do anyway. I think it ok....ish... because the parents are basically being bribed or paid to care, which is unfair to the parents who already care, but again with the helping pay for their kid's education that they may not have been able to afford.... =\

August 30, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
  228. nichole

This is a difficult subject to side on. i think that it is the parents role to participate and be involved in thier childs life. I think that parents should be interested in what thier child is doing in school and i think they should take the steps to be a part of thier education. I dont feel that they should be paid to do so.

on the other hand, i think that the fact that the money wont go towards the parents themselves, but towards the higher education of their kids is a great idea. I just think that this can be seen as some sort of b ribe when parents should be doing this already.

August 30, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  229. ashley

Yes they should get paid because the parents might be poor and getting paid for coming is something they can do which will help them gain money.

August 30, 2010 at 9:07 pm |
  230. damian

yes they should get paid for coming to thier childs school and the students sould also get paid for doing a good job in school and the money the students earn could go to college funds.

August 30, 2010 at 9:10 pm |
  231. carl

The parents should not get paid because the school needs that money for new equitment and learning materials.

August 30, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
  232. Tiffinie

I disagree with the idea of paying parents to be involved in their child's school life, even if the money is being put towards a college fund for them. Paying parents to come to their children's games, concerts, pta meetings and other activities they're involved in sends a message to some children that the only reason their parent is there is for the money, not to support them or be involved. This could have a negative affect on some students and I feel that parents should be involved, without money.

August 31, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
  233. Breann

I think it is irrisponsidle to pay parents for VOLENTURING to help at school. that is unfair. We are fighting poverty and our schools dont have anough money to pay parents to help.

August 31, 2010 at 2:38 pm |

I think any parent should have time to go to all of the school activities but they shouldn't get paid because it may be considered part of their job. As parents they should be responsible for being there.

August 31, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  235. shante

no parents shouldent be paid to go yo confrenses and to find out about their child and the school they need to go it's important to thier childs knowlage.

August 31, 2010 at 8:30 pm |
  236. Dagne

I really cant decide in this but I think that if the parents need to be paid to pay attention to their kids then those arent very good parents.

August 31, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
  237. Austin

Schools should pay parents like every week at a parent-teacher confrence for college. Parents shouldn't get paid to get involved in their kids life. They should already do that.

August 31, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  238. MACIE

I THINK PARENT SHOULD GET PAYED TO GO TO SCHOOL EVENT.BECAUSE IT COULD HELP PAY FOR KIDS SUPPLIE .

August 31, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  239. Tautiera

I don't think that parents should get paid for being involved in their kids lives because it is a part of the responsibilities of being a parent. Parents being paid to be involved in their child's activities is ridiculous, you shouldn't have to be paid to support your child in whatever they do.

September 1, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  240. Amanda

I think that you should not pay parents to be involved in their child's life. Parents should automatically want to know what is going on. When parents have children they should be aware of the responsibilities that come with it. That means that they should be involved in the personal and academic life of their children.

September 1, 2010 at 11:29 am |
  241. Marie

I don't think they should pay parents to come to school functions. Parents should already come to the activities to show their support to their children. Paying parents to come is like rewarding them to show up, but the actual reward is watching their kids. Also if parents were paid to come that would take money from the school when the money could be used on more important things such as new books or computers.

September 1, 2010 at 1:38 pm |
  242. Jazmin

I think that paying parents for involving themselves in their child/children’s school activities is not necessary, even if all the money is going to a college savings fund for their child/children. Parents should be responsible enough and be able to make time for the things that are expected of them when becoming a parent. When parent/parents are involved in their child’s education it makes a lot of difference in the way the child participates and applies them self during school. Parents should not have to be bribed into supporting their child at a school function or activity.

September 1, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
  243. Mr. Collin's class

some of our students think this is not a good idea.parents should come to events because they are interested in they child's education.

some students think this is a good idea because it helps the child get into collage.

September 1, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
  244. Rebecca

I really don't think the schools should pay our parents to join after school activities eventhough they should already do that , because it's their responsibility.

September 1, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  245. randy

I think that its a bad idea because if the parent partisiepate inschool on a reguler basis and we start paying them for coming teacher meeting their are just doing it for the money

September 1, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  246. Thad

Paying the parents or the students is absurd, as one of your interviewees said. The only situation that I can think of similar to this that would be acceptable would be to reward the school or class that had the most participation. Rewarding an unrelated third party for the parents' efforts would be OK with me, but that's it. Learning about their child's life is reward enough for any good parent. Paying parents will only bring in the bad parents looking for a freebie. It won't help with anyone's education.

September 2, 2010 at 12:23 am |
  247. seth

i think the best part of a school is the teachers otherwise school isn't as enjoyable. and i tend to get my assignments done when the teacher is nice

September 2, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  248. Lebron

To be honest, i think we shouldnt pay our parents because, you dont need to pay the parents to come! if you do all there going to do in the meetings is not paying attention. There like, "oh im gettin paid if I got my money aint no need to pay attention".

September 2, 2010 at 11:14 am |
  249. Landon

This is not very legit it my mind,a parent should be there for the school and also the sons/daughters.It is the parents responsibility for the parents to be active within the school

September 2, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  250. alexandra

if you have to go so far as to pay parents to come to school events, then maybe you should be asking them why they don't come and ask them what would make them come but don't even mention the money. that's just completely stupid in my opinion, if your parents aren't supportive enough to come to events, then maybe you should encourage them yourself. you shouldn't have your scool administrators bribing them anyway bibery is illegal, but i'm not sure that that counts.

September 2, 2010 at 6:01 pm |
  251. Wyatt

They should have to pay themm because since the economy is bad!

September 2, 2010 at 7:55 pm |
  252. Zach

Paying the parents is a bad idea because it is their responsibilty to go to their chlds school events and it is just practicly bribing them to go.

September 2, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  253. Joshua

I wish there was computrs in theclassroom.

September 3, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  254. Kristen

i think that parents should get paid because it not only tells the parents how they are doing. it also will benifit the students in the future.

September 3, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  255. Eric

I understand that college is expensive but if your good enough you should get a scholarship. i.e. sports, the arts ect.

September 3, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  256. Daniel

If you have to pay your parents to be there for you for school, they don't really care. Parents should be there because they want to. Not because they get money for coming to school. In the long term, some people might have kids just to get the money for coming to school.

September 4, 2010 at 11:21 am |
  257. Bria

I think that it encourages our parents to go to the school events. Also it helps them with our expenses, but i think if the parent doesn't chose to except the money just dont give it to them! ❤

September 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  258. Austin

When parents attend sports activities purely because they want to, the student/child enjoys there support a lot more than if the parent is paid to attend games and activities. To the child he/she might think that the only reason that his/her parent is there is just to get the money. The parent should want to support their child in all aspects of the student/child’s life, not just sports that they will be paid to attend. The money the parents receive for attendance will be put into a college savings account, but the parents shouldn’t have to be paid for what they should be doing already.

September 7, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  259. Kelsey

I don't think the schools should pay parents to come to the events because the parents should already be involved and want to come to those events to see how thier children are doing in school.

September 7, 2010 at 7:29 pm |

I think that the students might start to think that the only reason they attend the games is for the money. The parents should already want to go to watch their children and give them support, no one should make them go. It's their responsibility to go to the activities anyways.

September 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  261. Maddi

Though the cause for the payment is good, it's still bribery, just in a better form. Parents shouldn't have to be bribed into being active in their child's life. There shouldn't be any motivation other than being there for your child and ensuring they'll be okay.

September 7, 2010 at 11:52 pm |

For me, this is a yes or no answer. I think if parents are paid it will motivate them more to come out and support their kids. Also, because they are taking time out of there day to be apart of their kids' education. However, I feel parents are responsible for being apart of their kids education.

September 8, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  263. sebastian

i think that paying parents is a really stupid idea because parents should care about their childs work and the school and not about just the money

September 8, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  264. Donavon

I think they shouldn't get paid for various reasons. One of those reasons is that they should go to it ANYWAY. Even if they do go, it's only to get cash for college. They could also find a way to use it on something than college because they just use it to save money.

September 8, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  265. Daniel

That's a really bad idea. One would think that a parent would love their child more than a business deal or conference. I'm glad I have parents like that. I understand that there are some kids who have parents busier than mine. For those families, it's the parent's responsibility to be at the event, but it's the student's job to inform their parents about these things so that there's time to fit it in to their schedule.

September 8, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  266. Kiki

Parents should already be involved in their kid's education and go to school events like these. That's bribery!
    I do think that it's a good idea to put money in college funds, though. Just for a different reason.

September 9, 2010 at 1:00 am |
  267. BreAnna

i think we should prevent kids from hanging around the school halls after school unless you are in a after school activity.
    '

September 9, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  268. riley

i think its not a good idea to pay parents to attened shool functions because the whole point of school functions are to get parents to raise or give money to the school and if they pay every parent that come then more people are going to come and then the school is going to run out of money

September 9, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
  269. Natasha

I think it would be a good idea because the kids would be able to get more money to go to collage but on the other side if the schools paid the parent to go to school functions because fcool functions are mostly to raise money and if they have to pay the parents to come the will be loseing money instead.

September 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm |

I think paying parents is a good idea because they could help with my homework.

September 10, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  271. Josh

I believe it is right, due to the fact it will go toward the student's college fund. BUT i also agree it shouldn't be the only reason parents attend, i truly think that parents SHOULD be involved in there children's school.

September 10, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  272. Lindsey

I think thats wrong its parents jobs to go to things at the school like open houses and parent teacher confrences. But i also think that it would let alot more children would go to collage.

September 10, 2010 at 9:59 pm |
  273. ekaterina

paying parents is not a good idea becaus people will only go for the money, and for the students thats not right.

September 11, 2010 at 9:38 pm |
  274. Leeann

I think that paying parents to do their job is absurd! It's like paying your mother to cook dinner. They're supposed to do feed their kids its common sense. When parents aren't involved in their kid's lives then that leaves the kids education in their hands when they're not smart enough to make the correct decisions. All parents should participate in their kids lives and in education because if they don't, the parents don't know what their missing!!

September 11, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  275. Leeann

It's good that the money goes tward the kids college savings but the parent should have went to school no question and have a job to pay for college. And if parents involved in their kids education helps the kid learn better and focus more, then the parent should be at EVERY conferrence and open house so the kid would be better at school and not need the money being given to parents for college because the kids should be getting a scholorship if they're learning so well.

September 11, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  276. Alice

i dont think that we should pay parents i mean parents are alreaady supposed to be involved i mean my mom always trys to hep out at my school and stuff so...

September 13, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  277. kiandra

Its wrong that the government is giving parents money for there kids program.

September 13, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  278. Sarah

I think that paying parents to work at school is not a good idea. Staff members are staff members, and although some may be parents, you shouldn't ask the parents to have a job at school. If they want a certain job they can apply for it. School is a place where kids come to learn, and with parents around it would be just too distracting. Some kids like coming to school as a place to be with friends and teachers only. Besides, we see our parents every day anyways.

September 13, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  279. Sarah

I think it is a bad idea to pay parents to come to school events or meetings. Although it is a good thing to attend the meetings, the school should not pay the parents to do so. They should already be involved in at least one thing and if not, they probably have a reason for it. What kind of example would it be to show kids that you can get someone to do something by bribing them with money?

September 13, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  280. Natasha

I think that this is outragouse that parents should not have to pay $400 just to let their kids ride the bus. Maybe $10 or $20 but not $400. I think that is just stupid.

September 13, 2010 at 9:59 pm |
  281. autumn

patents should want to be involved with there childs school and bribing them is plain crazy

September 14, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  282. Emily

Parents should not be payed, because if you decide to have the kid, you need to take in all the that come with the child

September 14, 2010 at 7:57 pm |
  283. aubrey

i think paying parents to get involved is a good idea because then they can possibly get off earlier in the day and be able to get involved with things

September 15, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  284. abbie

I like this idea my family is short on money my mom is working 2 jobs so is my dad

September 15, 2010 at 1:58 pm |
  285. courtney

I love the idea my family is short on money and for what parents do for the kids is good. And because we are so short on money I could not afford school clothes this year and had to have the teachers help me with school supplies. And I have to work and I’m 14 and my mom is at school and my dad is at work and it is all out of control.

September 16, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
  286. spencer

i don't think youhave to pay the parent to make them go to school

September 20, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  287. wiliam

my oarents dont pay me so why pay them

September 20, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  288. Lydia

It is my belief that parents should not be payed to be involved in their child's education. John Martin stated that it is hard to be involved when parents already have a "full" life. Their child IS part of their life, and their activities should be included in it.

September 21, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
  289. london

parents should support there kids because they care NOT because there being paid.this also make kids wonder why there parents are supporting.

September 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  290. kaleyr

I think that we shoud not have 9 hours of scool.

September 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  291. kaleyr

I think that we shoud not have 9 hours of school. I tink

September 21, 2010 at 1:41 pm |
  292. Hayden

Parents shoudn't be payed to go to school events. They should just have enough parental love to go with they're child. I don't like the idea of paying parents for that sort of thing.

September 21, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
  293. Brekyn

I think that they should do it because if they pay parents the children could save up for collage and other school activities. And I think parents would come to more PTA and other activities!!!

September 21, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
  294. ciara

i love that idea! everyone could use some money right now

September 21, 2010 at 1:59 pm |
  295. Lauren

All kids should have a good support system at home. Parents should get involved anyway.

September 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  296. KASSIE

September 22, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  297. Mollie

i think it's absurd you have to pay parents to be involved in their childs life. each child needs motovation from parents. i wouldn't want to be the one who goes to their friend's house then see their parent tutoring them then think hmm why doesn't my mom do that? it's good to have a pat on the back, but even better when your parent does it. parents shuld be involved in their childs life without being payed!

September 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  298. kira

i think they should get paid. they deserve all that money, after all the things the parents do for the school and children. do you know how hard it is for a single mom/dad to do that? they struggle alot! so why dont they help them out, FOR ONCE!

September 23, 2010 at 8:50 pm |
  299. Meagan

I think parents should get paid to go to open houses and conferences. I think they should because it's not only helping the parent(s) to become more involved in the education but it also helps students earn money to get into a better college. I can see how people disagree but all the money goes into a better cause for the student's education.

September 23, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  300. Graciela

I Think its not fair to make parents pay for the bus , because they pay alot of taxes and food , and bills !

September 24, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  301. Ever

I think that thats outragious i would only pay my parents money for buying me stuff like clothsi would pay them back like that.But thats absurd that you have to pay parents money to be invoved in their childs life!! Thats my opinion about that man thats absurd.

September 24, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  302. Gabriela

I think that paying parents should be involved with his or her child(s)/childrens life(s) and there college funds if they want their chldren to have a good education.

September 24, 2010 at 10:10 am |
  303. JORDY

Parents are going to get mad becuse they have to pay a lot of money.
    they are not going to pay no more.

September 24, 2010 at 10:10 am |
  304. Lexi

I think that parents that have to pay is very stupid. Because students come to school to learn not to pay. If teachers and others really cared then they would just want to teach not to have all the money. And i understand that teachers have to be payed but they dont have to have a billion dollars.

September 24, 2010 at 10:11 am |
  305. Cheyanne

I think parents should be involved in there kids lifes. I dont think parents should get paid for that even if it goes to there collage fund. The parents might think its fine but how do the kids feel?

September 24, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  306. naseer

I think that parents should stay involved in there childes life without being payed even if the parents has something else to do because kids education is more important and that is also a good way to stop crimanals to happen B)

September 24, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  307. Tatyana

I think thats a good thing for paying parents but what if the parent doesnt really care about your education and just spends on thereself! not cool at all! Also the child should be closer to there parents and not really get payed to see things:)

September 24, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  308. cristal

i think that our parents shouldnt need to get pay to be involved with our life that is so wrong...!!!

September 24, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  309. Ariel

I think the money goes to stuff that doesnt even go to school. In school they ask me for a pack of crayons for the can keep it.School ask for stuff that sometimes we dont even use it.

September 24, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  310. legit

i think parents should participate more in school activities and hlp out

September 24, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  311. Shannyea

In some ways this will work out. But come on who wants the perents at school fallowing you around while your talking to your friends. But i can admet that this is a very good idea, kids get to go to collage, and it can help out familys who are struggling and there child gos to collage next year. So for me I say Yes.

September 24, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
  312. Rachel

This is a great idea. Paying parents helps the family and the children.

September 24, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
  313. Ryan

parents should be more involved. they should have more back to school nights. that would be cool.

September 24, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  314. Sean

I think all the kids should have there parents drive them to school because 400$ is outrageous for a bus ride to school.

September 24, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  315. melissa

i think its a smart idea. but what if some students dont go to college????????????????? what if parents dont use the money wisely?????????

September 24, 2010 at 1:41 pm |
  316. Cesar

I believe the more activites the parent does with their kids the better the development of education. Also parents get payed for participating!
    Thats actually good motivation for parents to go and kids benefit for their college fund.

September 24, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  317. alyssa

i think paying parents is a great idea becuse not only do they pay taxes for school they make the schools what they are today

September 24, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  318. Amanda

I think it is a good idea because it helps out our collage funs. More kids will be able to go to collage because parents will be able to pay for them to go.

September 24, 2010 at 1:52 pm |
  319. Katie

I believe that is a great idea. It would make the parents more involved in the school, their childs grades, and their after school activities. It would help decrease the drop out rate and increase the amount of people graduating high school.

September 24, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  320. wendy

it is good to buy your parents thangs and they will aways be able to buy you things and you all will be heppy

September 24, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  321. Heaven

I Think that paying parents to attend thier childs open house, and things like it, is just wrong! thats like saying " here ill give you money to care about your child's education" i think that for parents school should be somthing that they are invoved in on thier own. you shouldnt swoop that low to get parents to be apart of thier childs future.

September 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  322. Samantha

We all understand, that the money gose to a good cause. However, it's their kids. They should already be involed!

September 27, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  323. Ravyn

YES PAY THE PARENTS!

September 27, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  324. Max

its not exactly smart because it will influence and parents will just go for the money.

September 28, 2010 at 1:05 am |
  325. matthew

I think that they shouldnt pay parents becase they should be proud and interactive with their child.

September 28, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  326. OMAR!:O

Well i think its a great thing to be good to others.Like people say treat people the way you want to be treated.But if you dont treat people with respect then you wont be having a bad relationship with the person.So I say be good with everyone you meet and youll will have a grreat relationship.I dont know..lol

September 28, 2010 at 11:44 am |

I think it is a terrible idea. Parent should care about their child's education with or without being paid.

September 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm |

I think it is a terrible idea. Parents should care about their child's education with or without being paid.

September 28, 2010 at 4:07 pm |
  329. Janna

I really dont think the school should pay our parnets because we are the ones doing all the work not the parnets, the have their own jobs to worry about not the kids schools. they should NOT GET PAID!!!!!!!!!

September 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  330. jakob

i think parent involvement is not majorly necessary, yet not insignificant

September 28, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  331. Kaylee

Well, I think it's kinda dumb to partents money for what they are already suppopsed to be doing, I also think that if they are worried about parents getting involved, don't just go off and pay them. Because then they are not going to get involved because of their children, they are going to get involved because they are getting payed to do it.

September 29, 2010 at 9:29 am |
  332. wes

As a driver i believe it is the best way to get their and back.

September 29, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
  333. Maria

Schools should offer parents options. All the activities at our school are during the work day or so soon after that my Dad has to get time off to come, which he does, often he skips lunch to get time. Some parents can't do that. The school day isn't set up with working parents in mind. I can see something to help parents afford to have one parent stay home- probably from the Gov, not the school, but to pay parents to come to school is not right. Those who don't come either don't want to/don't care, or can't. Paying them would drag folks in who are only going to be rude and impatient to get out, just like their kids are during class. Have you noticed that the kids whose folks never come to things are also the kids who are problems in class most of the time...hmmmmmmm. Maybe if we had fewer, longer school days to sort of match up to parents work days, parents could come to things and wouldn't be so stressed trying to arrange ways to participate. How about 9-5 Mon-Thurs with a before/after option? Activities could be at 6 or 7 so parents could come without taking time off work.

September 29, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
  334. Francisco

The worst type of bulling i think we dont even have to think about it for me the worst type of bulling is verbal bulling why well one time a teacher told me that if you tell something that herts them it stays in there conscious for live and i would hate it if some one went through that.

September 29, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  335. Kaylee

Well, I think it's kinda dumb to pay money for what they are already suppopsed to be doing, I also think that if they are worried about parents getting involved, don't just go off and pay them. Because then they are not going to get involved because of their children, they are going to get involved because they are getting payed to do it.

September 29, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  336. Haley

I think paying parents to come to school activities is stupid. If they really wanted to go the wouldn't need to be paid to support their child's school.

September 30, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  337. yazmine

i really dont think parents should get paid to care about thier childrens education :/

September 30, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  338. Anna

I dont think the school should pay our parnets because parents should care about there childs education without beeing paid.

September 30, 2010 at 9:16 pm |
  339. Bradley

they would be doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

October 1, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  340. mrs tanis

i dont think its a good idea because parents need to worry about there education not the money

October 1, 2010 at 8:13 pm |
  341. chan

This is not good for children 1-10. They have to deal with this.They cant do anything with it.I feel so sorry for this children.

October 1, 2010 at 9:06 pm |
  342. Jessica

I would argee to have parents come to help there child, but I think they should get paid for their time. Maybe parents quit work for te day to help. They should atleast get cash to help pay for there son or daughter's edacation in the future. Colledge rates keep going up, for more high-tec books. Hence, children will have a smarter future and ofcourse parents would want the best for their child. So, why not pay parents?

October 2, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
  343. dallin

I really think that the school should not pay eney body but the teachers and the staff.

October 3, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  344. Aubrey

I think that paying your parents to participate in your kids school life will send the wrong message. It's like saying,"I don't care about you enough to go to your school and see what you did, but if theres money i'll go!" IT'S JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!!!!!!

October 3, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  345. Cole

you shouldn't pay parents just give them coupons i know my mom will love them

October 5, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
  346. Kara

I think it's a bad idea because it just says that the school is in need of desperate money. The school can do a bake sale or have parents donate books to the school so then they can sell them to the students instead. IT'S JUST PLAIN WRONG FOR THE SCHOOL TO DO THAT!!!!!!! Knowing my mom, she would just not pay attention to the adds at all. She doesn't normally buy the things offered in the adds. I would be shocked if my school start putting on the adds on the back of the newsletters that get sent home from the school.

October 6, 2010 at 8:03 am |
  347. Katie

Were already in a resscion and parents should be involved at schools its just a waste of money, and if the kids fiugre out that there parents just started coming when people gave money to the parents they might feel hurt. But if the parents dont know about fuctions and other events at school putting in the newspaper that they will get paied to come might open there eyes to see how some parents dont go to these things. I will end as always.

October 8, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  348. SyNia

i dont know what to say but if you atleast pay the parents theyll continue to keep them in that school and thats good for the district

October 12, 2010 at 11:15 am |