.
August 16th, 2010

Islamic Center/Mosque near Ground Zero?

Islamic center/mosque near Ground Zero:
Earlier this month, developers were given the green light to build an Islamic center, including a mosque, a couple blocks from the New York site of the 9/11 attacks.  The opinions you hear on Tuesday's edition of CNN Student News are strong - and we want to hear yours.  After telling us whether you support or oppose the plan, click the "Comment" button below to tell us why.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. bob

i completly disagraee with them building so close to ground zero there is plenty of places to build i will never vote democrate ever it is totally wrong........... please tell them to build somewhere else..

August 16, 2010 at 11:56 pm |
  2. jianming

Being able to practice our own religions is one of the essential human rights. This right is why the people in the Mayflower came to America. No person has the right to stop others from practicing their religion or building religious buildings.

August 17, 2010 at 12:23 am |
  3. Joe

The victims are killed by a islam. You can't ignore the sorrow of the family of the victims.

August 17, 2010 at 1:06 am |
  4. Jeffrey

Not allowing people of the Islamic faith to build a mosque there would be stereotyping. Just because they are Islamic, does not mean they are terrorists. They deserve their freedoms just like any one of us.

August 17, 2010 at 1:35 am |
  5. coh

does that a monument of 9/11 terror? really honor of death people of grudge?or really that is liberty of religion for islam? I dont think so. doesn't think about copycat. advocates think about honor of terrorists?that funny topic doesn't worth to controversy.

that wouldn't be, never.
    that topic is just bait of obama government for political disturbing.

August 17, 2010 at 3:46 am |
  6. Willie

Ground zero is NOT the place for a Muslim mosque. Anywhere but there!!!!

August 17, 2010 at 4:07 am |
  7. Willie

A mosque near where the 9/11 attacks occurred is not appropriate.

August 17, 2010 at 4:09 am |
  8. Rae

All religion comments aside, let's be real here. Ground Zero is a monumental site that is what it is today because of terrorists. I understand also that we are a "free country", but think of the sensitivity of this issue. You don't see the US going to the Middle East and constructing a statue of someone of power to us where Saddam once stood. To me, if a mosque would be put there, that would be honoring COWARDS that destroyed thousands and affected us as Americans. I am not against the building of a mosque, but please, there are other places to do so. Let Ground Zero be for OUR memory.

August 17, 2010 at 4:10 am |
  9. pat

This is Muslims way of "commemorating" the attack on the USA. The "Political Correctness" of our country will make it easy to conquer us from within which is what they said they would do. Anyone who has read the Qur'an knows what their plans are. I hope our country wakes up!!!

August 17, 2010 at 4:15 am |
  10. steve

the terrorist that attacked the world trade center were muslim the koran says to kill the infidel to the muslims all christans are infidel so this teaching is what killed those 3000+patriots this is insane to let a monument to the terrorist be built anywhere in the U.S.A period

August 17, 2010 at 4:17 am |
  11. Kalah

This issue is very hard for me because I believe it is surrounded by American ignorance and believed superiority . Has anyone ever asked how may Muslims died on September 11th?? I don't think Americans realize there is a whole world out there. September 11th is NOT just a WHITE American tragedy. This is a day of mourning for all humanity. There were people of dozens of different nationalities, ethnicity, race, faith, etc, that died on that terrible dayThey deserve a sacred place as much as anyone and nobody declared ground zero and all the surrounding area sacred, land of the free??...get a grip America>
    its not all about you>

August 17, 2010 at 4:19 am |
  12. ME

I think it's somewhat odd that they chose that particular location to build the mosque, knowing that it would offend many people and cause problems. It's more of an "in your face" statement then a statement for religious tolerance. If you think I'm going to tolerate a religion that advocates blowing up buildings and being a hero for killing yourself and others then you have another thing coming.

August 17, 2010 at 5:19 am |
  13. Phil

In my mind it's not a good idea, i'm not opposed but I think about people who have been touching about the 11 September. I understand that these people could be angry against Islam but it's not fair. So I think it could be better to don't do it.

August 17, 2010 at 6:16 am |
  14. Amol

Hey, it's pretty much the people's choice- if the masses want it, then it's there.

August 17, 2010 at 6:40 am |
  15. Jackson

I think building of the mosque near Ground Zero is totally OK since it's their right to build a place of worship where they desire. I don't exactly understand the problem of building it near Ground Zero since the towers are gone anyway. I think there is no real reason as to why they can't put it near Ground Zero.

August 17, 2010 at 7:57 am |
  16. Brian

ON an emotional note, I wonder how many people directly affected by Tuesday, September 11, 2001 went to grief counseling. I was third handedly affected by that day and I have moved on. Grief recovery work still needs to be done as people still have emotional pain discussing this issue.

On a constitutional note, the first amendment allows this to happen. Blacks have been discriminated, Asians have, a lot of immigrants have. Why should we start giving different religious groups a hard time?

August 17, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  17. Andy

I think since some islamic people consider 9/11 a victory it will bring up arguments on that day between people who lost loved ones and the islams who may be celebrating.

August 17, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  18. Dustin

I oppose the idea to put a mosque not just in new York but the united states because it's not right for americas to have too be forced into a religion they don't want

August 17, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  19. Maddie

I don't think they should put a mosque around ground Zero because it is disrespectful to the families who lost family and friends in 9/11.

August 17, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  20. Sophia

Not too many people outside of the Muslim community know that there already was a mosque in the Twin Towers. The 911 attacks on this country hurt everyone, Muslims included. Many American Muslims died that day too. And we still hurt like all American do about 911. The Muslim community is simply replacing what they lost that day too – a place to pray close to where they had prayed before.

August 17, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  21. Justin

Muslims have been building mosques as a sign of victory so building a mosque in the middle of New York City would say that they defeated the United States

August 17, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  22. Keith

I think that the 1st amendment should always be upheld, and therefore the Mosque should be permitted to be built. Islam didn't attack our country. Terrorists did. It is unfair to connect religion with terrorism. Accept the mosque as a good addition to NYC.

August 17, 2010 at 10:50 am |
  23. Abby

People have the freedom of religion, and that's the bottom line. The Constitution says so, and we run our country by it. If we don't let them build it, we are hypocritical. And people need to learn that only a few Muslims don't like us. Billions of Muslims do. People are being idjits about this. The mosque will be built. Eventually, we will build something on Ground Zero, if we haven't already. We have to move forward, and take 9/11 as a sign to make stronger relationships with Muslims in the Middle East. And for people who still think all Muslims are evil, they have the same God as Christians and Jews. BTW I'm a Christian, so my opinion isn't biased by me being Musim. I'm not.

August 17, 2010 at 10:55 am |
  24. Spencer

I believe that they are allowed to put it anywhere they want because of the first amendment. But I do believe that there should be some sympathy to our feeling on it. But I guess that is what is great about our country not everyone has to agree on everything.

August 17, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  25. Ceci

I believe that the Islamic religion should be able to worship were ever they want, and if they decide that they want to build their Mosque near Ground Zero, let them. Other religions are aloud to worship in other places near other famous building are or were. So I don't see a problem with it.

August 17, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  26. Isaac

I think that the Mosque should be allowed to be built, BUT, not so close to Ground Zero. I think this because there are too many people that lost loved ones here, and it could lead to problem.

August 17, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  27. Dave

Because of our freedoms they should be allowed to build a mosque,
    however, the builders of this mosque should realize it would be the best thing to build elsewhere and generate much good will by doing so and showing understanding for a common sense reason why so many oppose it. By thumbing their nose to others sensitivities, they further alienate american sypathies to a religion that needs good will.
    By building a positive impression they would gain more for their followers instead of the anger and animosity they are generating by building on a site that would offend so many.

August 17, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  28. jay

i don't think it's a very good idea to have it so close to ground zero

August 17, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  29. Demi

They should be able to put it where they want because it is a free country, and that is probably the reason they thought they could build it in that location. I support the idea of letting them build it near ground zero.

August 17, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
  30. steven

They should not be able to build it that close to ground 0 because It's like they are laughing at us.Why should we let them pray and worship on the ground some them bombed.

August 17, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  31. Shehla (Shell-uh)

I'm a Muslim, and I think that they have the right to build it wherever they want, even though it may be a bit tactless. The land is theirs, they can do what they want with it.

August 17, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  32. steven

They should not be able to pray and worship on ground that some of them demolished.It is like they are laughing at us.

August 17, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
  33. Cason

Allowing people to exercise religious freedom is different from the separation of church and state. The fact that Obama allowed the Mosque to be built is a testament of the idealistic religious tolerance because the people who didn't want the Mosque built specifically because they were muslim and it was near Ground Zero. That is the epitome of racism and intolerance. But the Mosque is a symbol of the fact that we are all human and everyone should be accepted as they are regardless of their religion of lack there of. Keep religion out of the government as the two can never coexist peacefully.

August 17, 2010 at 12:07 pm |
  34. Diamond

I don't think it is a good idea to have it so close to ground zero, but I think that they have the right to build a Mosque any were they want to.It is not Barack fault that it is being built there you should take it up with the person who runs NY for letting them do it.

August 17, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
  35. Jessica

I am for and against this idea. I am for this because we have freedom of religion in our country so people should be able to build places where they want to. I am against it because they want it built near ground zero. I think if they build it there it will be like a slap in the face towards the U.S. since they were the ones to attack us in that particular plance, and it may also cause more conflict than it would if they built it somewhere else.

August 17, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
  36. Carina

I think you should be allowed to build a mosque in any where. And worship and but being its by the Ground Zero i think i would cause to many problems and we really need to think about the familys that lost someone.

August 17, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
  37. Annie

I strongly oppose building this mosque next to ground zero it will be showing totally disrespect to the people who have lost loved ones in 9/11. I see it as a way of them rubbing it in our faces of the destruction they have caused us. If they want to build a mosque so bad why can't they build it somewhere where it won't be so contraversial?

August 17, 2010 at 12:56 pm |
  38. Christopher

I don't think they should put it there because that is were they attacked the twin towers, and it would be like they were trying to say " WE ATTACKED THE TWIN TOWERS AND WERE PROUD OF IT".

August 17, 2010 at 1:03 pm |
  39. Tori

i belive by the muslims building their mosque near groud zero it's like them saying it was a victory and it's also very disrecpectful. i agree that they should have the right to preactice their religion but they could easily find another place to build it.

August 17, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
  40. Amanda

I think that it is a bad idea to put a mosque in the U.S. because then Americans will be forced into a religion they dont believe in. It is also disrespectful to the people that died in 9/11.

August 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  41. Austin

I think that despite the sensitivity of building an Islamic Cultural Center near Ground Zero, it should be permitted. I believe this because the people that committed those horrible acts of terror were not true Muslims. Millions of Muslims all over the world are good people, and therefore they should have the same protections under the constitution as everyone else. If they are denied this freedom, then what freedom will be taken from them next? Where do we draw the line?

August 17, 2010 at 2:15 pm |
  42. Tavares

i say people have their rights to pray to their god

August 17, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  43. Tavares

but i also fell sorry about 9/11

August 17, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  44. Cecilia

I don't think they should build it so close to Ground Zero because too many people lost loved ones and they might be hurt or disrespected by it being there.

August 17, 2010 at 3:01 pm |

If there are other places of worship within a few blocks of groud zero then I think the Islamic people should be allowed to put a Mosque where they want it. Just because they are Islamic doesn't mean they are terrorists. Many other religions have had bad steryotypes and if they have places of worship a few blocks within ground zero then I think they should be looked down upon too.

August 17, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  46. Tony

I think they should be permitted to build the mosque because most Muslims are good people and the same rights are given to people of other religions.

August 17, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
  47. devon

i disagree because is'ntit a little suspicious that nine years after 9-11 they want to build a mosque a block away from ground zero

August 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  48. Hope

I feel they should be able to as long as they are not disturbing other peopler nor trying to make others attend. Everyone belives in diffrent religons and should have a place to attened. However this could maybe start an argument if these people start bragging that they got to do this and tell others that there religon is better. It would be a neat deal espeically for this religon but can lead to problums but, for the most part i think they should be allowed to build it.

August 17, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
  49. sam

i do not think that ground zero is a place for the mosque. there are plenty of other places for the mosque to be built. 9/11 was a terrible tragidy by building this mosque here there are going to be alot of american up set.

August 17, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  50. shawna

People have the right to practice there religon, but many people may think it's not fair. I personaly think that they should not be able to practice there religon that close to were 9/11 happened. It will cause problems and the U.S does not need more problems that add to the past problems. Persident Obama should of said no to them building the Islamic center. He should of consider what the people of his country would think and not just what he thought was right.

August 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
  51. kacie

I think that building a mosque near ground zero is a terrible idea. In Islamic history the view the building of a new mosque as a victory, so if we build it near ground zero, what are we promoting? I realize some people may think its a violation of religious rights, but its not. There is already a mosque near ground zero that was built before, so why would they need another one?

August 17, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  52. lilly

hey...i belive that the people should have the right to build a worship center ...but they should have respect for the families and friends who had loved ones die in nine eleven and just build somewhere else

August 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  53. Dallas

I believe the issue is that they don't want to offend a group of people AKA the Muslims. But building this mosque will only offend thousands more of people then it would if we refused to build it. We aren't supporting our as a whole when building this but more supporting a "special group". Think of the thousands of people who were family, and friends of people who died during 9/11. Building this mosque will seriously offend them in many ways. I think this is a attempt to use our rights against us as a free country personally. I'm all for religious freedom but this is hurtful to me any many other people. If they want to build something where they can worship and practice religion do it somewhere where people can't be hurt in this way.

August 17, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
  54. Sydney

I think that it is very disrespectful to build a mosque where lots of people died. I am not going against the Constution and saying that they can't practice their religion, I just think that they should find somewhere else to build it. It seems like they think that they won.

August 17, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  55. megan

In my opinion Muslim shouldn't be allowed to build there. It is like a slap in the face for the families of those who died, they go there to remember them and they look down the street and see a muslim place of warship. It is a bad idea for them to build there, it could also turn out dangerous for them.

August 17, 2010 at 4:49 pm |

Anyone who wants to build a mosque at GROUND ZERO for pete's sake has no brain what so ever. Its the peoples right to have a religious sanctum anywhere they want but why here. There are two things that will happen if its put here it WILL make new yorkers mad and it will make September eleventh seem okay. It will NEVER be okay. Its just plain ignorance.

August 17, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  57. Jake

Obviously we all know that this is completely and totally supported in the first amendment that this is legal and considered a right. Although I know that is is completely legal I still find this to be a "Slap in the face". It seems to me that if as a Muslin religion these people were not apart of the terrorist group who attacked us 8 years ago that they would understand the grieving we go through over this and decide to put the Mosque in a new location. We discussed this topic yesterday in my AP U.S Government class and a few comments came up that i will share one was my comment of "It seems to me the emotional aspect of going to Ground Zero is going to be completely different if when you look across the New York skyline and the first thing your eyes see is a Mosque, in my opinion that is pulling some emotional strings." the other comment that was made that I feel is very valid is "The government can regulate what is placed next to a school, is there a way we can regulate what is put next to a National Memorial site?" All in all i support that this is legal but I do not think that it is very respectful to anyone and mostly the people who lost their lives i 9/11.

August 17, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  58. Corina

I think people should be able to have a place of worship even if it is a couple or a block from ground zero

August 17, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  59. shia

YOU GO MADDIE (August 17th, 2010 9:59 am ET) , AMEN! YOU TELL EM! YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE WOOD! I totally agree with you. i live right hur girl and i lost someone in 911 and thats what im thinking to i think its umm well RUDE! so maddie ROCK ON!

August 17, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  60. Naomi

I think that they should be able to build the mosque. They werent actually the exact ones that did the 9/11 attack, so they shouldnt be punished. If other religions are permitted to build or do things for their religion, they should be allowed too.

August 17, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  61. Drew

I VERY strongly disagree because I think it is very disrespectful to the people that died on that day. It is a memorial. Nobody goes and builds churches on the Abe Lincoln Memorial, so why should it be okay for the muslims to build it on ground zero.

August 17, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  62. Amber

I think that they have the right to build a mosque, just maybe not so close to Ground Zero. Since they were the ones who caused the bombing of 9/11 I'm not sure if American people would be so enthused about it being bulit so close to the grounds.

August 17, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  63. Kendy

Yes 9/11 was one of America's most tragic days but people have to understand that it was not every single muslim that did it. If we continue to show hatred towards every Muslim the conflict will grow and the terrorists will gain more support. The war will continue and no one wants that. Some say that its wrong for the families who have suffered a loss because of the attack. That's true but think of this how many Muslim families have lost a member of their family because of the war yet we build bases and towns there. I can see why people would a problem with this but it is the Muslims right. We can't pick and chose who the laws apply to. America was founded on freedom rather it be of speech or freedom. By not allowing a mosque to be built on Ground Zero would shake the foundation that America was built on and that in itself would cause many more problems.

August 17, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  64. Lisa

I believe that people should open their eyes to the facts. Now I want to make this perfectly clear, i believe in freedom of religion i have no problem with other religions. Now I have a question, why there? Why near Ground Zero? Also if the state of NY has offered them state land to build it else where, but yet they refused. I think the families of the people who lost loved ones on 9/11 should be considered also.

August 17, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
  65. Corina

I think that people should be able to have a place to go to show there religion. It wasn't the religion that bombed the twin towers it was terrorist.

August 17, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  66. Corina

I keep reading things like they shouldn't be able to build the mosque. But some people have to understand that every one isn't to blame for the bombing on the twin towers. That's like trying to take all the other religions away just because one person killed another person. So your going to blame that one religion just because that one person (no I don't think so).

August 17, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  67. Michelle

It seems that this debate mainly focuses on the right to practice religion. However, having the right doesn't guarantee 'every' right including building religious buildings anywhere at anytime.
    I believe that islamic mosques can be constructed elsewhere. Inecting them near ground zero is not prerequisite.

August 17, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  68. Lauren

This is a silly discussion! It was a small specific group of muslims who took down the Towers. This group who is building this mosque is not the group who took down the towers. It is no different than bulidng a church or any other religious building at ground zero.

August 17, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  69. David

This, to me, is not an issue. I think something people neglect to remember is that not all Muslims are terrorists. Islam is simply a religion, not a terrorist organization. They have free reign to build a mosque where they want, when they want. The United States was built on the concept of freedom of speech, actions, and very importantly, religion.

August 17, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  70. Michael

I believe that even though the mosque isn't going to be built where the memorial is, I still think that the mosque shouldn't be near because you never know who is going to go to the mosque. It could be a terrorist. It also isn't a good idea because that memorial was put there to remember the people who died in 9/11, it shouldn't be home to a mosque considering that muslim terrorist destroyed the twin towers.

August 17, 2010 at 6:59 pm |

I believe our fellow Americans and brothers and sisters died in that cruel and unjust act.Would be apauled at the fact that we their American brother and sisters would even concider the fact of making a mockery of their deaths. We must ask ourselves should we build shinto and buddhist worship centers in the middle of Pearl Harbor after we were bombed out of fear.That is what you are asking us to do now,to mock our fellow Americans,who died in an unjust act of war on our country.So I put to those Americans who believe as I do,please dont make a mockery of our country.Its one thing to say something about issues when you yourself dont understand them yourself.So the first thing you say is normally the truth of what you believe so stand behind what you say and stop dodging the truth.

August 17, 2010 at 7:11 pm |

It is too close to Ground Zero, but I know there are other places to build the mosque. It will, in my opinion, ruin the memory of what happened. If the Statue of Liberty was to be destroyed, I know they wouldn't build on that ground.

August 17, 2010 at 7:14 pm |
  73. Rachel

I understand the situation with the location. I don't blaim people for getting upset. Why ground zero? Putting the building there would bring tons of conflicts. There's a million other places. Muslims should be free to worship in the United States. It's freedom of religion and belief.

August 17, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  74. criss

I completely disagree. This is America, a place where everybody can live no matter where he or she comes from, but America is a place where everybody who comes from another country must respect and respect the pain of many families who lost their members at zero zone on 9/11
    The freedom shouldn't be an excuse to disrespect the place which open the doors to many people to have a better life.
    Don't try to build your country in this country, if you are not happy with this country go back to your country. There, you can build all mosque that you want.
    I am not American but I love this country and respect it.

August 17, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  75. Cady

I believe in freedom of religion. And I believe that every person should have a place to go to worship whatever they worship. But, why near or around Ground Zero? There are plenty of other estates, and lots around there to be bought and have a religous buildings built. I know it's not the religion's fault but the terrorist were muslim's were they not? And I think the congress and President should be scared of people like islamic's and muslim's building Mosque were 9-11 happened. B/c they could very well do the same thing over again. Except somewhere more important.

August 17, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  76. Mia

I think they should be able to build the mosque there because they are intitled to build the building wherever they feel like even if they are muslim.

August 17, 2010 at 8:04 pm |
  77. Jackson

I used to support it, but since they proposed to dedicate it on 9/11 I think it is a slap in the american face

August 17, 2010 at 8:09 pm |
  78. Chase

Of all the places in New York City...why does it have to be near Ground Zero? That is insulting, and just plain RUDE!

August 17, 2010 at 8:26 pm |

If you think, that putting up a mosque 600 ft. from ground zero and have the inauguration,on the anniversary of 9/11/11, is immoral, inhuman and a complete lack of respect for the memories of all that perished on that day and their survivors & that politicians are doing a grave injustice to the....fallen heroes.

August 17, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  80. Alec

I believe they should be allowed to build the Mosque anywhere they'd like, because it does date back to our country's reason for existence. To have freedom. Now, whether or not it's in their best interest is a different story. I think not only for their safety from protests should they not build it, but also out of respect. So it's not so much I think it's a good idea, but they are allowed to do what they'd like. And guys, I don't think we should be mad at our president and accuse him of changing his views because we misinterpreted what he said. So, in the end. I'm in support. Not for them building the Mosque, but for them doing what they would like.

August 17, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  81. Brent

I think that this plan to build a mosque is a bad idea. When Muslims had power in SW Asia, they would build mosques as a way of saying that they had conquered that land. So I think that this Muslim group building a mosque two blocks away from Ground Zero is a way of them saying that they have delivered a blow to the United States. Now, I have no problem with a Muslim group practicing their own religion. But why does it have to be that close to a site where over 3,000 Americans died? There are plenty of other places in Manhattan that they can put their place of worship.

August 17, 2010 at 8:38 pm |
  82. krystal

Well under the first amendment, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." I think that the Muslims have the right to build a mosque but I don’t think it should be that close to ground zero because of what crazy people from their country did and blamed religion for it doesn’t mean we have to be so judgmental about a mosque being built. I think like a couple of blocks away will end this whole thing and both sides will be happy

August 17, 2010 at 8:39 pm |
  83. steve

the argument that those wishing to build the mosque have freedom of religion is irrelevent. religion is a personal belief, not where you congregate. because it is in the area devastated by an extremist belief, i think it is perfectly plain that they are making a very rude point. religious freedom is a right; outright rebellion against common american ideals is wrong. each step we take away from Christ's teachings leads our country to destruction. being a christian, i realize that the crusades were a mistakes made by people using a popular belief for power. the same thing is happening here. america is being 'conquered' by a set of laws opposing its ideals because we do not know what our laws and morals are because we lack interest. in our country and eternity. the fact that we do not pass down these understanding is our fault, and is degrading the u.s.

August 17, 2010 at 8:46 pm |
  84. bill

what did Jesus say? do to others what you would like to have done to you. is it really right to blow up a hub of trade that the entire world uses and then put up your territory right where rubble landed? sounds like a pride problem to me.

August 17, 2010 at 8:54 pm |
  85. steve

so my comments get censored because i mention my true belief that isnt a religion but a lifestyle. america is allowing the mosque to be built for painfully obvious reason, but i cant say what i want about a belief held by the founding fathers? who wrote the constitution that forms this great nation???????????!!

August 17, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  86. Hank

I believe that all Americans have the unalienable right to build and pray anywhere they want,....BUT it is extremely disrespectful to build a Islamic site near ground zero, they know how most of the American people feel but they do it anyway, that is a blunt abuse of the Rights of the People.

August 17, 2010 at 9:01 pm |
  87. hunter

i think it is ok for them to put the mosque near ground zero. this country is supposed to be about freedom of speech and religion so it would be unconstitutional to say that the islamic people can not put a mosque near the place of one of their attacks on american people. there is and has been a mosque near the site for many years and we never made them leave after the attack so why could they not put a new one in the area.

August 17, 2010 at 9:07 pm |
  88. Dallas

Kendy (August 17th, 2010 5:53 pm ET) "I can see why people would a problem with this but it is the Muslims right." Yes the Muslims may have a right as much as anybody. But our Government doesn't just support their rights and their freedoms. They represent America as a WHOLE not just one special group. We allow them to have a Mosque anywhere they would like. I'm fine with them having their religion. But near ground zero? Where the terrorists of their religion took out the twin towers and took thousands of lives? No. It doesn't make sense why they would put that there. I feel very strongly about this in so many ways I just cant explain it to you. I know not all of them are terrorists but this is just so disrespectful. This hurts me emotionally so much and it makes me angry every time I think about that attack and now this? Also take this as an example of how the American people feel about this. You can see a photo of Kennedy being assassinated on tv for investigation shows. But regularly they will NOT show those 2 planes barreling into that building like it was nothing. Why? Because it HURTS. To me this is ridiculous. Build your Mosque some where else instead of disrespecting us as a nation.

August 17, 2010 at 9:14 pm |
  89. Austin

This is a highly controversial issue and both perspectives must be viewed to comprehend the reasoning in this decision. Building a mosque in lower Manahattan yards from the site at ground zero leaves many local residents with a sense of hatred and unforgetfullness about muslims on the tragety of 9/11. However building one mosque near the are does not personally speak for the billions of muslims in Islam that have given us no harm. We associate Islam with the killings on 9/11 as terrorists and haters of the American society. That is an incorrect statement. As a matter of fact it was only a group of outcasts, not the entire religion itself, that initiated the conflict which sadfully led to 9/11. Many Muslims are just dedicated to their religion and give us no harm. Certainly one mosque can give us no harm, but still Americans are unwilling to accept that everyone has a right to practice his or own religion, regardless of location, as stated in the Constitution. I think the majority of the opposition on the mosque are still insensitive about muslims and dissaprove any form of mosques as a breeding ground for jihadists. In conclusion, every one has their own opinions, but in reality we have to accept that everyone has a right to free religion, and that includes the harmless effects of putting one mosque within two blocks of ground zero.

August 17, 2010 at 9:16 pm |
  90. Steve

I feel that the mosque in Ground Zero would be disrespectful because we should have a memorial or even the new building that their building right now would have more significance than having another mosque. I find that it is also like saying that foreign people can say "hey look what i did". but from my point of view i find it wrong and it shouldnt be passed for the people to have another mosque.

August 17, 2010 at 9:43 pm |
  91. Rebekah

I think that it can be built ,but maby not so close to the scen of 9/11. I believe that 9/11 is a act that should be left ALONE!!!!!!

August 17, 2010 at 9:47 pm |
  92. Kelby

I don't think that they should build a mosque there because ground zero is a some what patriotic site. Why do they feel the need to build it so close to ground zero? Could they not find any other place where it wouldn't be so controversial? Its not what they are practicing its that they are wanting to build so close to 9/11.

August 17, 2010 at 9:48 pm |
  93. whitney

People might not be mad that the Muslims are building a mosque, they are mad at what the symbolism of building a mosque close to ground zero would be like. There are many other real estate places they could build and also there is already a mosque close by to that area where they may build. Although it may be unconstitutional that they can tell them not to build there, but that's the government's decision.

August 17, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  94. Cade

Like Obama's campaign slogan, "Yes we can".....but should we? The Islamic radical that wants to put this mosque here, Ima Feisal Abdul Rauf, said after 9/11, "I wouldn't say that the United States deserved what happened, but the united states polocies were an accessory to the crime that happened." correct me if i'm wrong but, it sounds like his views on 9/11 are that it wasn't a big deal. So i say no don't build the mosque!

August 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  95. Austyn

I'm all for Muslims building a mosque near Ground Zero. I feel like this is being taken way too personally. I don't think verbally attacking Muslims is the correct way to handle the situation. I mean, I'm sure they wouldn't have come up with the idea if they knew that all of these assumptions would be made. Just because they want to build it in NYC, near Ground Zero, does not mean they're trying to "rub it in our faces". Obviously this should be where "freedom of religion" kicks in and if we don't let them build it then it's completely hypocritical.

August 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  96. Brady

I believe in freedom of religion and i dont care if people practice their religion, but im not in favor of putting it near Ground Zero. I dont think Americans wouldn't be happy if they did, so i think they could put it somewhere farther away on private ground.

August 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  97. montana

In my opinion Muslim shouldn't be allowed to build there. It is like a slap in the face for the families of those who died, they go there to remember them and they look down the street and see a muslim place of warship. It is a bad idea for them to build there, it could also turn out dangerous for them

August 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |

I completly disagree with the whole idea. I mean why can't they build it 5 more blocks away? Now i understand what people are saying that they didn't think it would cause this much trouble. There's their problem they didn't think. As far as I'm conserened they wouldn't want us building a christian church over there and honestly I can't blame them.

August 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  99. Kelli

I think that by putting the Islamic center so close to Ground Zero, that would be disrespecting those who died on September eleventh. Nothing against that certain faith, I do not believe it would be appropriate to put any religious center even if it was a different religion besides Islam. Not to mention, Ground Zero is the place where we remember those we lost. No religious buildings should be anywhere close to Ground Zero. If we let them build one center, soon every religion will want to have a center there.

August 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  100. Criss

I completely disagree.

August 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |

And another thing it's not the religion they're against, it's the building. Is it unconstitutional to build an office building? The answer is no, people don't understand they aren't trying to keep the religion from being there, that would be unconstitutional. They don't want the building there, which in turn is keeping the religion "away" per say.

August 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  102. Kaitlin

I think that they have the right to build at ground zero but why can't they build their mosque at another area in New York? There is a ton of lots that they could build at and I do not understand why they want to build there. I believe that Ground Zero should not be built on to give those whos lives were lost honor.

August 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  103. Kendall

i dont think they should be allowed to build there, ive heard that there is another Islamic Center close by so another one doesnt seem necessary and i think Ground Zero, which has become a memorial for Americans should not have an Islamic Center built near it

August 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  104. Dee

They do have a right to build a mosque there. If we tell them they can't build a place where they can worship their own religion we are defeating the purpose of America. I know it is near Ground Zero but not all muslims supported what happened on 9/11. We are looking past their rights and categorizing a group of people. They should be able to build thier mosque.

August 17, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  105. zach

I think that building a mosque center near grownd zero is like taking a slap in the face from that country and relgion. This is one of the most stupid things that President Obama would let happen for the U.S.A. I think they just want it there so that they can tell all of their decendants about how they were the one who took down the twin towers on 9/11.

August 17, 2010 at 11:04 pm |
  106. Jackie

I'm undecided because, I just think a little more sensitivity needs to be exercised.

August 17, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  107. Catelyn

I disagree with the idea of putting up a mosque because it is a slap in the face to all of the Americans who lost loved ones when the twin towers came down. Would the Muslim population let us put a church four block from where the marines' barracks was at the US Embassy Compound in Lebanon? Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, who is heading all of this, has connections with Hammas. I don't feel that it would be wise to let terrorists go down into one of the United States' biggest cities.

August 17, 2010 at 11:57 pm |
  108. Dan

People fought and died for freedom. This does not mean you should be insensitive about lives lost because of an extremist sect of a religion that caused the deaths in the first place. This rudeness degrades us.

August 18, 2010 at 12:01 am |
  109. Sam

Personally, I think that the Islamic Community has the right to build a Mosque near the World Trade Center, otherwise known as Ground Zero. Every day we walk by many Muslims. Some days, perhaps dozens. Others, only a few. The land that the Mosque is planned to be built on is privately owned property. Imagine if you owned land, and you wanted to build something on it that many people are against. If what you built is what you believe in, then you wouldn't want millions of people to criticize and be completely against it. What the Islamic People are doing is completely legal, and a law that's lasted for over 200 years gives them that right. You don't criticize our Founding Fathers for creating the Declaration of Independence. Why then, should you be against a law that they created. If they had not created similar laws, then slavery might not be abolished. After all, one of the reasons for the abolition of slavery was because this is a free country. Although this is a different setting, it is much the same. 50 years ago, African-Americans were thought of as second class citizens. There's a saying that says if you study history, you won't repeat the same mistake. If history has told us anything, it's that people who were sterio-typed generally, and slowly, became the same as the people who sterio-typed them. The Islamic Community is sterio-typed as Middle Eastern terrorists. Just to let you know, there are plenty of white and black terrorists as well. Imagine if you were thought of as a terrorist because you pray in a church or a synogauge. Or even if you practice Buddhism. The saying goes to treat others as you would have them treat you. Cheesy, perhaps, but if you don't follow that rule then your a hypocrite, and obviously need to mature. It's not about Republicans and Democrats as some people have posted. Neither Republicans or Democrats are better, they're just two ways of thinking. All you need to do, is open your mind to knew ideas, and try to accept a new concept. Put yourself in their feet. -Sam

August 18, 2010 at 12:04 am |
  110. Katherine

Although placing the mosque near ground zero may not be appropriate or respectful, they have a right to building such wherever they see fit. If this is a "free" country than what gives us the right to say that they cannot build their place of worship where they please?

August 18, 2010 at 12:12 am |
  111. zach

i completly disagree with them building it so close to ground zero, the reason why is because there is already a mosque near ground zero. and they were part of 9-11 so thats another reason why i don think they should put it near ground zero.

August 18, 2010 at 1:27 am |
  112. Jade

I dont feel this is an issue of freedom of religion at all.
    We all know that they have the right to build the mosque as a place for worship just like anyone else, and those in favor of building it also know they have that right.
    My opinion is this. Why so close to ground Zero? It's not like there aren't other properties to choose from in Manhattan.
    Isn't the construction of a new mosque a symbol of victory?
    Does anyone else feel like i do, that they chose to build it there out of spite or disrespect ??

August 18, 2010 at 1:41 am |
  113. Mitchell

I disagree with them building a Mosque near ground zero I looked it up and found out usually Muslims build Mosques on where a victory took place. Well thats saying 9/11 was a victory for the Muslims and thats not right thousands of people died on the ground and it shouldn't be thought of as a victory for Muslims.

August 18, 2010 at 2:10 am |
  114. Courtney

I am not racist, I am not against any religion, but I feel that building a mosk that close to ground zero is a terrible idea. Its kind-of a slap in the face to the people who died in 911. I wouldn't mind if they decided to build it at least in another city or a little later. I mean, Why there? Why now? What is the motive? etc. Banning it would be against one's first amendment rights though, so there's really nothing we can do.

August 18, 2010 at 5:43 am |
  115. Armani

i must agree with the 70% of Americans that have issue with this controversy but you must also look at it from their prospective. The have to right documents in place, such a the bill of rights to allow them religious freedom, but it doesn't give them the powerto build a mosque where a national tradgedy had occured. Some elected officials who's names are being withheld have absolutely no problem with the idea for the mosque near ground Zero.Other officials say that the muslims unconvincing arguement is that the constitution has nothin to say about the Mosque

August 18, 2010 at 6:51 am |
  116. Quin

I believe that it is their right to be able to build one. It's just most people see all muslims as extremists. Not all muslims are like that so don't deny them the rights that American was built on. If our Founding Fathers laws have flaws, fix them.

August 18, 2010 at 7:12 am |
  117. Deanna

I think that muslims have a right to worship & build a place to worship, just not so close to the site of the 9/11 tragedy. It does offend som people and it is also disrespectful.

August 18, 2010 at 7:13 am |
  118. Curtis

The same way we would want to go to church, they want to go to a mosque. But right on Ground Zero? It's the place a tragedy happened, lives were lost. But if they build a mosques it wqould be very spiritual.

August 18, 2010 at 7:14 am |
  119. dashawn

I think it be good to build a mosque because there should be freedom of religon. That's what the U.S is all about .

August 18, 2010 at 8:43 am |
  120. Abby

*Muslims died in 9/11 also
    *It was terrorists, not Muslims who killed them. Many Muslims disagree with this
    *We don't need a monument to remember them, we just need to remember them.
    *It's two whole blocks away.
    *We are hypocrits by not letting them practice their religion where they want.
    THE CONSTITUTION SAYS THEY CAN. THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE.
    I'm a Christian and I totally support this mosque.

August 18, 2010 at 8:47 am |

I think it is wrong for them to bulid a mosque near ground zero because its like they are make fun of us for when the twin tower fell which I think is really wrong I mean but on the other hand I mean its ok for them to bulid a mosque anywhere they want but I dont think it right for them to build it near grond zero.

August 18, 2010 at 8:53 am |
  122. Sein

America is a multiculture country and we should'nt count Islam out.

August 18, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  123. Jake

The nazis building a place out in front of the holocaust museum wouldn't be aloud so muslim's shouldn't get to set up camp next to ground zero

August 18, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  124. George

I understand that they need to be accepting to the Islam religion, but I believe its wrong to build the Mosque so close to ground zero. Yes, it wasn't the religion itself that performed the event, but it's because of the religion that the towers were attecked in the first place.

August 18, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  125. Omar

I'm not really sure

August 18, 2010 at 1:34 pm |

I think that building the mosque is a very good idea, because the religion of Islam hasn't done anything to America, and I think its time for Americans to realize that...

August 18, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  127. Nan

Hi all. Firstly congratulation to Carl and CNN for this section and the 10-min video with the transcripts. I am writing from Spain. I think that one thing is Religion and a different one is Terrorism. It should not be a debate on this question. From my point of view any religion is going to help people in this century, perhaps it should be better for everybody to build a YMCA center instead.

August 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
  128. karen

The muslims do have a right to practice they're religion. but it should'nt be so close to ground zero because its just unnessasary there is actuall 100 or so mosques in a certain milage of that area i totally unoppose it. it's just unnessasary.go ahead i'm fine with them practicing there religion just do it some where else. but it's on private property so i would'nt die if they built it. (:

August 18, 2010 at 3:52 pm |

Regardless of whether I personally agree or disagree with building the mosque, the mosque can be built according to the first Amendment. However, just because it's legal doesn't mean it should be done.

August 18, 2010 at 4:11 pm |

I think that the Mosque should be built there. The Islamic religion is beautiful and kind, just like all religions. It shouldn't be persecuted simply because it's fanatics have attacked our country. I support it's construction completely. NYC is a mixing pot of people, allowing them to worship is a RIGHT, not a privilege.

August 18, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  131. Kyleigh

I think we should build one. Just not near ground zero because the 9-11 attack was an important day and we'll always remember it.

August 18, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  132. madilyn

ummm...wow i dont even know what these people were thinking. yeah they can practice their religion if they want but when they were building it they had to think "people are not going to like this" but they did it anyway. they are not terrorist but they should show some respect to us and all the ones who lost their loved ones in 9-11. its just not right and pretty bad taste. i strongly believe that this is wrong. they need to take their church somewhere else and if they dont on their own im afraid someone else might make them because there are some razy people out there. so when i say they need to go its to try to stop conflict before its gets bad.

August 18, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  133. salad

i beleve we should respect others religous choices and thoughts and let them build anywhere theay wish

August 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  134. Hanna

i oppose because its just to close to ground zero and people whos friends and family died on 9/11 might not want that so close to where people lost there lives.

August 18, 2010 at 5:15 pm |

U.S.A. its all about respect man

August 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  136. Alice

Wow! I'm not really sure about my answer, but i'm leaning toward opposing it because ground zero is a special place and i don't think that people should be there, even if the weren't islamic, it's a special area. But since they have the right to worship and have their own religion they can really build the mosque wherever they want.

August 18, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  137. Raini

In the past few days there have been varied debates and decisions on whether or not Muslims should have the right to build a Mosque so close to Ground Zero. Yet if we are saying that we don't want them there because of 18 terrorists, aren't we holding all of the other innocent Muslims guilty for something they didn't do? Honestly, I think they should have the right to build a place for worship without us getting into it. Besides that, I don't believe that it is the wisest decision to build where they have chosen, and they should pick a different location. They should respect other people's losses and remain off of America's holy ground. Build a YMCA instead. It would make the world a whole lot easier!

August 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  138. Natalie

I oppose. We should respect everyone's religion, but it is insensitive to build a mosque near ground zero. That is the last place on earth I would choose to build one. Anywhere else would be completely fine. But, when you build a mosque right next to where the 9-11 attack took place I think it has disrespect towards the USA. But, any other location I totally agree with.

August 18, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  139. hailey

i think it is insulting to the memory of the people who lost there lived to the terrorists . i do not blame the muslems at all . i just think out of respect for the people that were lost that they relocate.

August 18, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  140. Mycala

Well from my point of view I think that the mosque should be bulit there. Its not like its going to be bulit on ground zero. We have to show them that we are nice people. Have you ever read the pledge at the end it say justice. Do you now what that means? This is the deffinion Justice is the concept of moral rightness based on ethics, rationality, law, natural law, religion, fairness, or equity. You have to treat them like an regular american.

August 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  141. grant

I highly oppose building a mosqe by ground zero because there is much more land to build it at in New York.I mean the constitution says freedom of religion but the world trade center is a touchy subject in the U.S.can't they build it somewere else ?The govoner is even offering them discounted land. Think if you lost a loved one in the attacks of nine eleven.You wouldn't want the muslum prayer call echoing across were an important land mark once stood.

August 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  142. Annabel

Why? Has the Muslim community, in this whole ordeal, ever taken time to consider why? Why MUST they put a mosque only two blocks from where they know one of the most tragic events in American history was caused by Muslims?
    Sure, our constitution would tell us to allow the mosque to be built due to freedom of religion, but would it condone a blatant attempt to bring back the ugly past that most can't put behind them? Must the mosque be built in that very spot? Must it come to discounted land to bribe people into doing the right thing? Would a kid's mom pay them not to vandalize something? No! They would assume that the child was level-headed enough to know never to vandalize. We have assumed that the Muslims are level-headed enough to know not to vandalize a sore spot on American hearts.

August 18, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  143. Katherine

While it is true that Islam SHOULD not be linked with the terrorist attack on 9/11, all too often it IS anyway. Building a mosque so close to Ground Zero will serve to build up anti-Islamic feeling even more in the minds of the people who already associate Islam and terrorism. In a way, building this mosque only serves to create more anger against Islam among those who see this as an insult to those who died and sacrificed on September 11. It is a bad idea because it creates more bad publicity for Muslims at a time when they cannot afford it.

August 18, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  144. Olivia

I think that people should just get over it. We will never FORGET what happened but it is time to forgive. Mainly because times are changing and people with closed minds (like those of the people saying no on this) won't get very far in life.

August 18, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  145. Matthew

I strongly oppose this idea. I have nothing against the Islamic culture, but this will be and eyesore to the families and relatives of the people who died In the attack. Building this Mosque will greatly anger the majority of the population, for the "Terrorists" that made the attack were Islamic themselves. No offence to the religion, but is there also a reason to have it near Ground Zero??? Why not have it somewhere else??

August 18, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
  146. Kaylah

I OPPOSE. We shouldn't be building on a land mark that people lost their lifes on 9/11. There is so much space over there and we shouldn't be buidling on a land mark that people walk by everyday and remember that tragic 9/11 attack. I oppose. That is something we shouldn't do.! Why does it have to be RIGHT by ground 0? Can't it be somewhere else? They have so much space over there, and we shouldn't be invading that special landark.
    I OPPOSE!!!

August 18, 2010 at 7:14 pm |
  147. Trinity

I think no beacause Ground Zero is an american landmark and all the people who had loved ones die there are saying why would you do this ? also terrorrist muslims are the ones that destroyed the twin towers . it may not of been those muslims but its is still muslims terrorrists who destroed the twin towers.And so that is why I say no.

August 18, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  148. Nathan

I agree with Keith on they have the right to build on ground zero. But the fact is no one wants them to. It is more of an emtional deal than a ammendment deal. I fortunatly had now one who was lost in 9/11 but the people who did probobly are very sad. President Obama said the Islams have a right to build their mosque. He is going to let them because of the first ammendment. In my opinion they should not be allowed to build on the property. If they do build succesfully. The mosque will not last. Vandilism will be a big problem for the mosque.

August 18, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  149. Ellen

This battle is not over whether or not the mosque is allowed to be built. The muslims trying to build this mosque know that we can't stop them. The first amendment ensures freedom of religion; therefore we are unable to keep them from building it.
    This is a moral battle. In my opinion, no human being with an ounce of compassion for the American people would ever consider putting a mosque in that location.

August 18, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  150. Rebecca

I think that it is right to have freedom of religion, but there are plenty of spots all over the place. It is very disrespecful to the families if 9/11 victims.

August 18, 2010 at 8:16 pm |
  151. chad

I think if they build something in New York, then we should be able to build something over there to make it even.

August 18, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  152. Monica

I think they should be able to build the Islamic Center. The people who think they shouldn`t must realize that 9-11 was the tragic past. They have no other reason to keep them from worshiping their religion.

August 18, 2010 at 8:39 pm |
  153. Haylee

I oppose the Mosque being built. I believe in freedom of religon, but it's unnesscarily close to Ground Zero. 9/11 was not that long ago and so many people died. Their are plenty of places people could build the mosque. Why so close to Ground Zero?

August 18, 2010 at 8:40 pm |
  154. hussein

listen all of you out there who appose it, the muslims who want to build this site were not the ones who caused 9/11 i was some crazy people who thought that they were following gods orders well they werent and you shouldn't blame the muslims who are good. they should build the mosque

August 18, 2010 at 8:47 pm |
  155. Alan

Im Christian. I believe in respect to all religion, races, and cultures. Freedom of religion? What happened to it? Sure we will "Never forget" that catastrophe, but sometimes we need to let go for something that happened 9 years and and only 5 people from the religion did it. If we dont put up the Islamic center NEAR Ground Zero, we might as well destroy all the churches NEAR or in Hiroshima.

August 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm |
  156. John

I know that most of us don't like anyone who is Islamic but that doesn't give us the right to deny them basic freedoms that America is known for. Just remember people have fought and died for this country to prosper in freedom not just for one group of people but for ALL Americans. How can we uphold one of our greatest freedoms if we limit it to curtain Americans.

August 18, 2010 at 9:13 pm |
  157. Oliver

I know that most of us don't trust anyone who looks like they are Islamic, but that doesn't give us the right to deny them basic freedoms that America is known for. People have fought and died for this country to have those basic freedoms for ALL Americans. How can we uphold one of our most cherished freedoms when we limit it to curtain Americans. It doesn't matter if you come from Africa, India, Asia or China, an American is an American and we should all be treated equally.

August 18, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
  158. Reaganne

I agree that Islamic people have a right to build a place of worship, however I do also believe they could show some sympathy and understanding about the 9/11 attacks. I mean there are millions and millions of places they could build it, and they have to build it that near to Ground Zero? I don't blame the Islamic religion on 9/11, but it was an Islamic country. I hope all works out. Thank You.

August 18, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
  159. cyra

I think putting the Mosque by ground zero is a silent way of blaming the Islamics for the terriost attacks and reminds all the Islamics in the area that terriost did this for your religion.

August 18, 2010 at 9:35 pm |
  160. Lauren

Its clearly wrong to do that because they are the ones that destroyed the Twin Towers, so it's a historic place for all the americans who lost their loved ones. And, on top of that, they basicly destroyed our buildings or the Twin Towers to build a mosque of there own!!! AND they're saying that only people from their relgion can go to it! Its not like we are going to barge in to their places and burn them down then build one of our churches!

August 18, 2010 at 9:35 pm |
  161. Bradley

I oppose because I believe that Ground Zero should be left alone. It should be a memorial sight for all the men, women, and children who had died on the plane in 9/11 not a place for an Islamic mosque.

August 18, 2010 at 9:38 pm |

I STRONGLY support president Obama's idea. Although Obama did not mention his intention of the decision clearly, we can approach this in 2 very opposite way depending on our philosophy.

First, we can simply be emotional and patriotic and think that building Islam Mosque on ground zero is insensitive, and disrespectful to victims of 9/11 because of the terrorist of 9/11 were members of al-Qaeda group, who are also Muslims.

However, on the other hand, we can take this as an opportunity to send a message to muslims around the world including al-Qaeda groups, that we are not against Muslim, rather we respect American Muslims, and we do not blame them for the attacks albeit the fact that al-Qaeda attacked us before.

I strongly think this is a most "Revoluntionary Act" made by America since the time of civil rights movement. By showing justice, freedom, and respect to Muslims around the world, America may find a new way to open al-Qaeda's mind and start listening to our enemy rather than using forces of weapons, and causing unnecessary wars. We smart americans can talk through our conflicts out, and thereby preventing blowbacks without causing harms to each other. Let us all not forget the power of non-violent resistance of Mahatma Ghandi, and Dr. Martin Luther King, and their teachings that revenge will only bring more violence, but forgiveness can stop the violence.

August 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |

The Muzlims should have a place to worship their religion. If they want it built near ground-zero it should be built there. Also, it wasn't the Islimics who atttacked it was terriosts.

August 18, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  164. Wyatt

I oppose to the Islamic Center being built because I see it as an insult to those who were killed during 9/11.

August 19, 2010 at 12:14 am |
  165. Mike

I think this is terrible and unacceptable to put an mosque near the ground zero, this would blaspheme the soul of people who died in 911 and also this might hurt the families of the victims. Although Muslim is different than Al Qaeda, if put a mosque there, at a sensitive place, it's not good. Yes, Muslims do have their to practice their religion in America as a freedom country like president Obama said, but to be built near ground zero, a thousand no. This is not a only mosque, but a symbol. It seems that put a big picture of Osama Bin ladin on the side wall of White house.

August 19, 2010 at 12:40 am |
  166. dickson

although the musque is just the place for these muslims to practise their religon, it will not be easy for some people or familier which lost some relatives or friends to accept this idea. of course, it may be considered to show that usa could understand what is the real difference between islamic world and terrorists.

August 19, 2010 at 4:16 am |
  167. Trenten

I don't believe in this. If this isn't a big deal to the Muslims that want to build it, then they won't have a problem moving it somewhere else. Why is it so important that it be built right there?

August 19, 2010 at 7:12 am |
  168. Katelyn

Its desrespectful to people who have lost loved ones at ground-zero. But at the same time, maybe the musslems are trying to get america to forgive them? Also, I belive the Mosque shouldn`t be building it in this location due to the safty reasons regaurding people who might be so outraged, they attempt to danger the lives of the ones who belive the same as the ones that hurt america.

August 19, 2010 at 7:13 am |
  169. Min je

I think that it really doesn't matter if it is built there, but I would like to hear that the muslims prastice their religion freely, with out having disturbances because of the 9.11 attack because they probably don't have anything to do with the terrorists.

August 19, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  170. justin

I dont know whether i should disagree or agree. hard decision!

August 19, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  171. HANNAH

why not? they have a right to build the building where ever they want. that would kind of be a form of racism if they didn't just because it is a Islamic center and it is by where 911 happened

August 19, 2010 at 2:59 pm |
  172. nikki

now not to be rude but why at ground zero why not some wear else i dont care if they build there place of religoin just not on ground zero they are just as much at fault as the terrast who did it. they are just at fault for even acoating with them its just like they did it they need to stay away from ground zero and our country i dont mind sharing just when they have hurt my country and millions of people

August 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
  173. austyn

it so sad to kno wat happened at ground zero but this people are wanting to make a church for there god, why should it be wrong to let them pray there gods, i mean we pray for our god so why shouldent they, so above all i would kinda agree and disagree cause even though they made ground zero they should still be able to pray for there gods.

August 19, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
  174. Michael

Its good to worship your god but there culture is the one who caused 9/11 so it would be better if it was a little far away.

August 19, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  175. kim

i think if the Muslims who are building the mosque have the right to if they have the money they should be allowed to it's not their fault that some people in their religion attacked the twin towers. aren't most religions based on forgiveness that's what we should do forgive them and accept it

August 19, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
  176. Ed

I think they have the right to build this Islamic Center. The first reason is because it would be a great addition to New York City. The second reason is that if any Christian built a church there would be NO problem with it. Matter of fact, there wouldn't be this controversy. I'm not saying that I'm Islamic, but I am saying that as Americans we should allow other people to live the American Dream. Even if that does mean that the Muslims should build an Islamic Center down the street from the World Trade Center. We all have the same rights no matter the color nor the religion!

August 19, 2010 at 7:14 pm |
  177. Linda

I'm leaning toward opposing view. Building Islam mosque near ground zero will provoke deeper anger to many people including victims' families and friends. What can compensate their sorrows? I think building Islam center in everywhere but ground zero is ok.

August 19, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  178. Jonathan

Constitutionally, it is definitely allowed to have a mosque there. However, for practical purposes, I think they should build it elsewhere. There could be chaos and dangerous situations if a mosque was built near ground zero.

August 19, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  179. Bailey

So Obama says that he is not agreeing with the mosque, he sais that he thinks that everybody has a right to praise their god in their own way....that building the mosque is there way, but if a christain like me went and wanted to build a big churche on the place where terrorists have attacked, which from what i have heard Obama is saying never happened, he would not stand for it and any toher christian would most likley agree with me.

August 20, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  180. Haruka

I think all the people who oppose this Cultural Center are bigots, and really should take a crash course on American Government. By telling these fellow American Citizens they can't build their Islamic Cultural Center there we are stepping on the Constitution that our soldiers Overseas are fighting for.

It is not a Victory mosque, it's not even a mosque it's an Islamic Cultural Center.

STOP THE HATING...

August 20, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  181. Erin

I think that they should not bulid the mosque on the 9/11 site they should be alowed to have a place of worship but not there. It is WRONG!!!!!!

August 20, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  182. Katy

I think that it is perfectly ok to buld a mosque in NYC but they shouldent build it near ground-zero because even though it wasent muslems as a whole that attacted us on 9/11 it was some that did. over all i think they should build it else where and leave the space around ground-zero a place fpr grevence.

August 21, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  183. Blake

I don't think it really matters because terrorists caused the disaster not the religion.

August 21, 2010 at 11:44 am |
  184. Shakira

I completely disagree with the building of a Mosque near Ground Zero. Although the Freedom of Religion is practiced throughout the world, the Islams could have some sympathy for the Americans. After all they did bomb the World Trade Center and leave plenty Americans as victims. Their families are still in mourning and they want to build a place of worship for themselves near Ground Zero. There are many already existing synagogues, churches, and mosques, etc. in New York. I think it's kind of a slap in the face how they want to build a Mosque there. It's like the Islams could build a Mosque anywhere, but they choose there. Also, the fact that Obama supports this idea is absolutely bazaar. He is only the President of the United States... I think he is making the wrong decision and should probably look more deeply into the situation. People are not over 9/11 just yet.

August 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm |

I completely disagree with the building of the mosque not only because I am a Christian, but this country was founded on Christian values. One nation, under GOD. Not Allah. To have the mosque built near a place where many lives were lost and the sole reason there are troops in the Middle East is making the Christian Americans seem defenseless, in my honest opinion. There are many other places they can build a mosque that isn't so close. Ground Zero is definitely hallowed ground.

August 21, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  186. Jenna

I would be upset if they built it ON the site, but I heard they were just going to build it NEAR the site. I see nothing wrong with that!

August 21, 2010 at 6:50 pm |
  187. Jeff

If these people just want to practice their religion, that is fine. Terrorists have no peace within them. Muslims do. Though just to be sure, their records and I.D should be identified.

August 21, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  188. david

i believe that they should because this nation was formed on free religion. just because some Muslims did this doesn't mean you should punish them all. its very bias's that they are all bad i believe that they are mostly good except for a few that don't agree with the U.S.

August 21, 2010 at 8:54 pm |
  189. DD

Ok. I can see both sides of the story. I do think it is disrespectful to all the people who died at ground zero, but it is there land, and this is a free country. So if they want to build a church for there god, they have every right.

August 21, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  190. jianming

some say that the mosque is an insult to the people who died in 9/11.
    But the protests are insults to our founding fathers and their dream of a country where people are free to build religious buildings and practice their own religions. Weighing the options, the Founding Fathers are much more important.

August 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  191. phoebe

if it's not the Islamic Center and the Mosque what shuld be built there that everyone thinks it's ok. if it's a church I think there's no more controversy

August 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm |

It is not a matter of racism here and no one is saying that it is wrong for them to build. The whole matter is that they do not have any regret to what took place on September 11th 2001. I would term this as being selfish-because they do not care for any ones feelings. I mean there are so many people out there that would love to bring candles and flowers for loosing there loved ones on ground zero. NOt all muslims are terrorist but if we tell them no right now not to build it those all will take objection why? Today it is being proved that humanity no longer exists in anybody, we all are like and open field.

August 22, 2010 at 7:33 am |
  193. Collin

If the government is crazy enough to let muslims build a mosque near ground zero... I don't know what this country is coming to. If you think hard enough back you will remember it is MUSLIM terrorist that attacked the twin towers!! I understand that there is freedom of religion and all but Ground Zero is a monument to remember what happend that day and to remember all those people that died!!!!

August 22, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  194. Jake

I think that it is the most stupid thing America will do. Please don't embarrass yourself and don't make us look weird. I am so totally against it. So Obama wants terrorist attacks again?

August 22, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  195. lynn

i don't think they should build the Islamic center near ground zero because that area is very important to us and the builders should respect that.

August 22, 2010 at 7:47 pm |
  196. Kalea

I do not think that it is okay at all to build a mosque near ground zero. The can Find some other place anywhere else to build it. It's just to disrespectful to build it that close to ground zero

August 22, 2010 at 9:44 pm |
  197. Nick

I believe that the country should stop pounding the Muslims and allow them to build the mosque. I understand that the mosque might be a painful reminder to some about what happened on 9/11, but just like in any culture, there are good people and pad people. The Muslims are trying to worship God and show our nation that not all Muslims are bad. How would you like it if an American killed a large number of people in another country, and they would not allow us, the good Americans, to build a church there? Why should the (good) Muslims be punished when it was the Muslim TERRORISTS (bad people) that took down the twin towers and the pentagon?

August 23, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  198. Aaron

They should be able to put a mosque near ground zero.After what happened it would be great for the tragic loses to help rebuild. Any way it is public property. There is freedom of religion.I dont think it's fair to say no to building. It would be great for america for what happened there. I support them.

August 23, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  199. Sara

Even though I firmly believe in the constitutional right to build a mosque at Ground Zero, until this mosque and its leaders come forward and declare that they are against terrorism, I think the brakes should be hit on the project.The Imam of this mosque has not denounced Hamas which is clearly an anti-semetic group or radical islam and the name of the center–"Cordoba"– refers to Cordoba, Spain that used to be the capital of a successful Islamic country (The Caliphate of Córdoba) from 929 to 1031. HOW can this mosque create understanding and goodwill toward Islam by being built right next to Ground Zero, while it DOESN'T even condemn terrorism??? For me, this isn't about religious freedom, it's about what the goals of this Islamic center are. If they are positive goals, then by all means– build it.

August 23, 2010 at 7:04 pm |
  200. Mrs. Baughmans Class

I think that they should be able to put it there, freedom of religion

August 23, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
  201. John

That mosque should NOT be built at ground zero out of respect to those who lost their lives on 9/11 and for those who lost loved ones on 9/11. And for those who did not directly lose anyone on 9/11, this is still OUR Country that was invaded by terrorists who came from the muslim world. Building a mosque at ground zero is a slap in the face to those who lost their lives on that day. Also, if those muslims are as peace-loving as they say they are, then why don't they respect the wishes of the victims and take their mosque somewhere else? The 9/11 attack was by far the worst attack by a foreign enemy on American soil in the history of this country. Anyone who is in favor of the mosque being built on ground zero should leave the USA.

August 24, 2010 at 2:06 am |
  202. katerina

i think that they should not put the mosque near ground zero it is totally the wrong thing to do

August 24, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  203. Alexa

They have a right, the right to have freedom of religion. So it's their choice to build a worship center or not. 🙂

August 24, 2010 at 3:10 pm |
  204. Nyreshia

in respect of the people that died there they should not open it on 9-11 and they should pick a location further away than two blocks, but this is a country of freedom of religion, and not allowing them to open it is going against their constitutional rights.

August 25, 2010 at 10:37 am |
  205. Loren

I respect the freedom of religion, but I don't think anyone is denying that right. I am disappointed that the people who wish to build the mosque have so little sensitivity to the situation.

August 25, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  206. Nate

i dont realy think it maders they should be able to build their own building to worsoup in

August 25, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  207. meghan

Personally believe that it is fine to have the Mosque in this spot. I only worry that the Muslims will be in danger if they do so. If so many people are against it, it could mean troble for the Muslims.

August 25, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  208. emmy

i don't like the idea of it, even if 911 happen 9 years that doesn't mean people are over it, new york no the US is still hurt about losing their loved ones and everyone else u die and it's got going them if they build it there. all i got to say is move, not for me or my school but the familys who were hurt

August 25, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  209. Katherine

I don't think it's the right to build the center there because it's two blocks way from ground zero. I think they should build it on the other side of NewYork. I don't support them building that center. But. In the bill of rights they have the freedom of religion.

August 25, 2010 at 8:06 pm |

No way jose

August 25, 2010 at 8:08 pm |
  211. Nico

I decline. i think that scince they torn down the towers... they schould not be able to so close to a historical site.

August 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  212. Cayden

I have nothing against the Islamic religion. How ever, a lot of people do.I think it's asking for trouble.

August 25, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  213. Alexandra

Think about being in the Islamic peoples' position. If you wanted to build a place of worship, maybe you would build it by a grave-yard. Well then some people might say that the dead shouldn't be disturbed and they should be left in peace during the afterlife. So just think about it that way and don't live in the past, live in the present.

August 26, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
  214. tom

I agree it is freedom of religion but there are plenty of other places in Manhattan

August 26, 2010 at 9:04 pm |
  215. Ethan

I would not want to have the same religion that flew the planes into the twin towers next to ground zero.

August 26, 2010 at 9:52 pm |
  216. Ellie

i think that parents should get involved because they want to. But having money go into the collage funds of the student would also be helpful.

August 26, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  217. Jarrett

I think that if they want to build a Islamic place of worship they can go somewhere else. I have nothing against them i just believe it is a sacred place that should not be built over.

August 27, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  218. Shane

I dont think they should build it so close to ground zero, but this is America and our constitution is based on freedom of religion.

August 27, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  219. Trista

I think they have the complete right to build it, but the fact that soooo many people are still hurting and oppose it they should respect that and relocate. There are so many other site in New York they can build on but yet they choose the one near Ground Zero.

August 27, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
  220. Simeone

i don't think they should build the mosque there because their kind destroyed the twin towers and every time someone sees the mosque they will think of their family memeber who died in the accident and it will just be sad. They have the right to but i dont think they should do that. They can build something else besides the mosque!!!!!!!!!!

August 28, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  221. Benjamin

This is a very touchy subject. What we must over come is Islamaphobia. This might help people with Islamaphobia. If you do not know what that means.. It means that you look and Muslims differently or may be scared of them. Muslims have the same rights as a christian man in the US so the Islamic group wants a building near ground zero. Yes It is close but it's not ON ground zero. We(as USA) should set an example for our freedoms that other countries do not have.I support the building of the mosque.

August 29, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  222. Riley

Im not on anybody's side, but its strange that they are building it on ground zero

August 30, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  223. Alberto

Naturally, the first thought that comes to your head is "That makes no sense whatsoever, Ground Zero should be a memorial for the lost lives of 9/11." But it is the Muslim's decision to build a mosque there, not ours. We shouldn't group the terrorists with the people who merely want to practice their religion. I am neutral on this topic. Building a mosque there isn't the smartest idea, but that is their choice and I respect it.

August 30, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  224. Jose

I think it is a symbolic insult and a big disrespect to those familys which lives have been changed do to the incedent on 9/11. Also, they have the rights to construct it anywere. Just because they are islamic does not mean their terrorist, we cant be reacial or prejudice just because of their religion. We cant just repeat history over like what happened to the jewish and the African americans. They are welcomed here, no all people are bad just certain people.

August 30, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  225. Kayla

well i think they should not build a ground zero mosque because in my own opinion that is extremly disrespectful to all those people who lost there lifes in 9/11 and all the love ones that they lost. If that was me i will be very heartbroken.. but we cant make the choice we have to let them do what they want to do.but they have to understand that its a very wrong thing to do.

August 30, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  226. Melissa

I am undecided, they should not build their mosque there because although a couple of blocks away, 9/11 site has a tragic history of our dear loved ones, even though what replaces the 9/11 site is all emptiness and just a ground with regular dirt the mosque should not be build close to there. I am undecided because I agree that they should practice their religion but no where near that site. I actually think that nothing should enterfeer with that site only the acceptance of a new twin towers.

August 30, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  227. Mr.Perez

Well, building as mosque at the ground zero point is not a good idea. After the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the World trade center, people nationaly were effected by this mind blowing event. If they want to build a mosque why not elswere, But to build one were thousands died to me seems like disrespect.

August 30, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  228. Jonathan

I am for letting them build a mosque near ground zero. Not allowing them to build it isn't just against the freedom of religion , it's completely stupid and racist because if they don't build the mosque there, then they're going to build something else there such as a mega mall. I find the comments of some of the opposing critics to be completely irrational and using racist logic such as " We shouldn't build an Islamic center there, all that is going to bring is more terrorists to the sight of an American devastation ."

August 30, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  229. Kenny

In my opinion I think the Muslim's Shouldn’t build a Mosque neer Groun Zero because it should be a memorial for those who lost there lives in 9/11 and also if you think people think bad off the Muslim's no just wait and see what will happen when the Mosque is built its also true that they have there the wright of freedom of religion which seas they could practice a religion or no religion at all so in my opinion go head let them build there Mosque Let them BE......

August 30, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  230. Brianna

I think that it is horribly disrespectful. Think about all the families who have had loved ones die in the 9/11 attack. How can we complain about our leaders when we ourselves support this?? They should not be allowed to build there.

August 30, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  231. crystal

I say what does it matter that they build a mosque there.I believe Muslim's should be able to practice their religion without being called terrorist just because people are afraid to look beyond their perfect little world and realize not everyone has to believe in one GOD.I understand that 9/11 was i real tragedy but that doesn't give people the right to judge the Mulim's religion,because that is not the only religion in this world,it could have been any other religion yet people blamed the muslim's.So i think people should let them build the mosque and practice their religion freely.It's called the freedem of religion.

August 30, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  232. crystal

why does everyone think that muslims tore down the twin towers?that is not fair for the muslims at all.let them have their mosque

August 30, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  233. Yoselin

In my opinion I think Muslim's shouldn't build a mosque near Ground Zero. I understand that we all have rights. But Ground Zero is not a good place to have a Mosque.When 9/11 occured i really didnt understand what was going on i was only in 1st grade but now i truely see . What happend in Ground Zero was a true tragity and as we prayed for those who's family were lost that night. So i believe they shouldnt place a Mosque there it would just be disrespectful, especially for those that were hit harder losing family and love ones.

August 30, 2010 at 6:53 pm |
  234. sharon

i totally disagree for them to build by ground zero we should vote for the decisions there making so please tell them not to build there.i get that alot of peoples are agaisnt islamic relegion is whatever with me but i think they just want to ask for trouble but they have freedom of religion so we cant do anything about them building there.

August 30, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
  235. Estefani

...people you have to move on.We can't stay living in the past .What good is it to relive the past where only sorrow and death occured in that catastrophe. And Muslims are humans just like everyone else living in America.Not all Muslims are terrorists... We can't judge people by a whole because not everyone is the same...Two wrongas will NOT make a right people.

August 30, 2010 at 8:51 pm |
  236. Jose

I personally think that this is a bad idea i have nothing against this religion i am non religous so i am not biased but however the fateful morning of 9/11 was the doing of followers of this religion. To me this just seems like its trying to instigate trouble, trouble which this country could do without at the moment. I am not saying that this should be built on the other side of the world but I also dont think putting a mosque blocks away from the site is such a great idea its sort of disrespectful to most of the thousands of lives that were lost that morning its sad really...

August 30, 2010 at 9:05 pm |
  237. Yanelis

I completly disagree with building a Mosque so close to the Ground Zero because that is what it is today because some of the members of their extremist religion that uses the name of God to kill people and do horrible things like this. I personally think that they chose that place because they knew how angry many Americans and the families that lost their love ones in the 9/11 attack would be because that would be a way of remembering them what happened that day and who did it. I don't really care if they build a Mosque they just shouldn't build it so close to the Ground Zero because the hearts of many Americans are still bleeding by the cut.

August 30, 2010 at 9:33 pm |
  238. sharon

i think what there doing is wrong because ground zero is near them an thats a memorable place that should be respected and if there doing it there i think there just looking for trouble is not going to do any good to them. as we all know is freedom of relegion so we shouldnt disrespectd.

August 30, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  239. vashti

i support the plan. i think people are starting to get really ignorant, ok i understand the 9/11 issue but that DOES NOT make ALL Islamic or Muslim people bad or evil.... they have the exact same rights as we do because whether you like it or not they live here in USA so your just going to have to accept them... because if your going to judge the Muslim religion then you should judge all religions.thats just like saying all German people are Nazis which is NOT true...... i could go on and on about this......

August 31, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
  240. Yoselin

In my opinion I think Muslim's shouldn't build a Mosque near Ground Zero. I understand that we all have rights. But Ground Zero is not a good place to put a mosque. What happend on 9/11was a true tragity. As we pray for the family and love ones that were lost that day. I believe it would be very disrespectful building the mosque in Ground Zero there would be so many better places to put that mosque.

August 31, 2010 at 3:43 pm |
  241. daniel

i think they should build the center there because this is a free country and if thats what they think is right to buld the center there then by all means let them build it. people think that its because of religion oh there from here so they belive in this that means there bad NO thats wrong thats judgeing a person because of where they come from. if they want to build it there let them.

August 31, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  242. carlos

i belive that people have the right to practice any religion they want. people are not allow to tell eac other what to belive in. people usually dislike muslims do to the twin towers. so they think they have the right to control their religion. and just like us muslim have the right to their religion.

August 31, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  243. Gabriela

A lot of people have their different opinions about building a mosque near ground zero. I'm one of the people who support it, i mean why not ? Not all Muslims are terrorists who want to destroy our Country. Besides people come from all over the world to the United States because we give something to the people that most other countries wont even allow, and that's freedom of religion. I think its great idea to build a mosque because i think of it as some kind of symbol that not all Muslims want to kill us and they are here for freedom and not to be judged.

August 31, 2010 at 4:15 pm |

well in my opinion i oppose because thanks to the islamic people millions of people inside the world trade center died. i dont think it will be right to put build a building of the people who killed many little kids,old citizens and other people like the workers. but thats my opinion

August 31, 2010 at 4:45 pm |
  245. Nicole

-In my opinion the issue of the Mosque can be seen in two different ways. When you think about it all you hear about Muslims are that they are terrorists. Yes, many people lost their lives in 911 but even if a muslim did do that all muslims aren't terrorists. The other way of looking at it is that you should just let them have their Moque because this country was built off of freedom. An important freedom is freedom of religion so they should be able to practice their religion without all of the negative feedback♥

August 31, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  246. Aaron

I really would hate to have that happen because currently almost no other countries likes the U.S. and have a gathering of Muslims be really... unpredictable. It's true that they have complete rights to make one, because the FIRST amendment in the constitution(SUPREME law of the land) grants them rights to do so. But for America's sake, there should at least be some trustworthy, patriotic, american citizen to watch over what they're doing. Just to be safe. But for sure I don't think we should try to stop them... they could sue and there's nothing we could do to stop them... they have our constitution on their side

August 31, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  247. elena

Building a mosque anywhere in the U.S is allowed based on our first amendment. The rights back that. But at the same time, 9/11 was an event that changed our lives and how we view it. Sure, it was an event that no one can forget, but we must move on. This Mosque is dividing America into two. Blinding our eyesight when there are more important problems to take care of, more than we can handle. Point is America may never let go of that day, but we must go on. Times change, and this event is no different, chaging peoples lives forever. Yet building it so close to ground zero is not a smart idea. People already suffer from that event. No one can stop them from building it, but still, people have a deep sad feeling that may never go away due to this tragedy.

August 31, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  248. LAURA

My opinion is bittersweet. Because of the fact that muslim terrorists were the ones that destroyed the twin towers. Also so sweet because in the constitution it states that people have the right of religous freedom. People woudnt get mad if the catholics were to build a church there so why get mad at the muslim people that want to build it. I agree that there is a whole bunch of other places to build the mosque like why would they choose that location? But lets be real here thats basically discrimination and thats not fair to the muslim people because no everyone is a terrorist. its like saying just case im white that means im racist and not every white person is racist. Im aware that there are people whos loved ones died in the attack. Does that mean that they are rude to every muslum person they see because people from thier religion killed a loved one? i personally think that the President should really think this over and make the right choice a fair choice to everyone.

August 31, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  249. Annette

In my opinion it should not be built so close to ground zero. There are many other places to build the mosque in. Building it near the 9/11 site can cause problems and can be disrespectful to people who lost family and friends in the 9/11 attack. I believe it can be built anywhere else because we have the freedom.

August 31, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  250. Techlyn

Well Honestly I Think They Should Not Build Mosque Center Near Zero Ground Because I Think That Would Be Very Disrespectful To All The People That Lost Their Love Ones ! But At The Same Time We eShouldnt Be Punishing Them Just Because There Islamic ! Just Because There Islamic Doesnt Mean There Tourist && They Should Have The Right To Worship There GOD'

August 31, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  251. Tianmei

In America, people have religion freedoms.And we should respect each other.So i think they can and have the right to built a Islamic center/Mosque for their religion,there is no law against it but they SHOULDN'T because that's not a nice thing to do,i think this idea will increase the misunderstanding between peoples,it's not good for their relationship.Also, i see most of the new yorker are against this, and i don't think you can built something that they against so bad successfully in their own city, even though they get to built it, this will forevering cause troubles during and after you built it.So i think they should discuss this peacefully,both yield a little and have a agreement at least make most of the people happy.

August 31, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  252. Courtney

I agree that everyone should have their freedom of religion and freedom to build their religion buildings but i disagree where their building it at. For one its too close-i mean they could buildit ANYWHERE

August 31, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  253. Courtney

i agree that everyone should have their freedom of religion and freedom to build their religion buildings but i disagree where their building it at. For one its too close-i mean they could build it ANYWHERE ELSE. i dont think it should be build near ground zero because most muslims are terriest who says they wont attack again ? i mean look back at the 9/11 incident. lives has been lost and will never be replace-so now the same origin that attacked us wants to build a religion building

August 31, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
  254. Daniel

I think that the islamic center shoul not be built since there is alredy a harsh debate against it. If the citizens of the United States ask for it not to be built it should'nt be built. I for one am not actually sure if The muslims were responsible but one's for sure that it's not common sence to buld a high building near the building that almost all people think was a terrorist act. It's just not common sence to build it for it will most likely happen again. I think that president Obama Should not go through with building the Islamic center. And for the people that think obama is a muslim just look at where he was born(Hawaii). Anyway it's fully common sence that the islkamic center should not be built.

August 31, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
  255. Courtney

i agree that everyone should have their freedom of religion and freedom to build their religion buildings but i disagree where their building it at. For one its too close-i mean they could build it ANYWHERE ELSE. i dont think it should be build near ground zero because most muslims are terrorist i mean look back at the 9/11 incident. lives has been lost and will never be replace-so now the same race that is in questioning of attacking us wants to build a religion building ON GROUND ZERO !

August 31, 2010 at 7:15 pm |
  256. Cierra

I think that they should just build their Mosque somewhere else because its not right to build something where lots of U.S. citizens had there life taken away by who some believe the muslims.RESPECT IT!!

August 31, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  257. DAISY

Well building a mosque near grow zero to me is sound like a bad idea especially in new youk near the 911 accident. I believe thats a disrespect to the people that died in that attack .That area should be left alone because its a memory to the family member to the people that died .Doesnt matter which religion it is that area known as grow zero should be left untouch and left for memory .This is my reason for not wanting the mosque near ground zero

August 31, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  258. George

I have nothing against muslims but others don't think the same as me, this will cause rage in new york. Some people in NY are still frightened from 911. Also some people belive that Muslims are the ones that cause the war and many other things like that. If this Mosque or house of worship is built some people may do strikes, others may do some sort of violence GODforbid.

August 31, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  259. mr.Perez

I think that the islamic center/Mosque has the right to be in groun zero, just like any other building.The idea may seem wrong to the eye of the americans, but that is only because they are still emotionally scarred from the 9/11 terrorist attack.The developers have to stop for a minute and think of how we would react and/or feel if we were in there position, do not be selfish in your thoughts, because that might scar you as well.

August 31, 2010 at 8:08 pm |
  260. Savannah

I think that it's okay for the Islamic Center is okay there, even though that citzen in New york had family and friends died at Ground Zero. This Islamic Center is no different from if one the America citzen have a jewish, or christian, or baptist centers to study there religon.

August 31, 2010 at 8:14 pm |
  261. austin

NO! i do not belive they should be build a mosque or islamic center ... what ever the hell you want to call it anywhere near ground zero that is the most inappropriate, unsensitive and over all stupidest thing that you could do. i understand the other side of the arugement where people are like "it wasnt all islamics that did this." and "its our constitutional right to practice freedom of religion.". i think (and i am not trying to be racist or anything like that ) that if they do decide to build this mosque (which is a stupid idea) that some racist, bitter, and/ or angry person will come and destroy it. i dont think that they shouldnt build it just because someone might destroy it but also because it issoooooooo insensitive just think of all the people who lost there likes in the towers and allthe familys and lives that were ruined due to this tragic event. and you want to put a mosque which practices the same religon of the people which caused this right next to the site where it occured ... what are they thinking?

August 31, 2010 at 8:45 pm |
  262. Patricia

I think that building a mosque near Ground Zero is a very bad idea, not for their religious reasons, but for the reaction and remarks it's going to get from this. The families of the lost ones from 9/11 wouldn't be too friendly with idea, and there would be complains and complains the whole entire time. They shouldn't be allowed to build their mosque there, maybe they could build a mosque but way far away from Ground Zero and probably nowhere near it.

August 31, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  263. Josselyn

Many people still suffer from the impact of the 9/11. Although the billl of rights allows people the right to practice their own religion building a mosque so close to the this site would be a great reminder of the event that took place not so long ago. It is not predjuce against Islam but respect for the area that woulld lead me to believe that building this mosque would be the incorrect thing to do. The building of a mosque anywhere else would most likely be fine and should not impact the general public.

August 31, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  264. Alejandra

I am completly for it. Let me start by saying that I'm a catholic but feel that any religion should and could be practiced anywhere. Location doesn't matter, yes its near ground zero so what! Not all Islamic people or religion is bad. Don't judge a book by its cover. That's what most of the people that disagree on this is doing. We should be aganist and angry at the actual persons that did cause 9/11 to happen not on the whole entire religion or country! Those people are suffuring a lot by people treating them like they were one of them, thats discrimination and in the end they would just say that they are from some other place because they are embarased of people contrasting them one to the other. They should do the mosque, it is still a church from one way to the other it will bless ground zero. Racism is way out of hand right now and people should control it. We all have to right to practice whatever and whichever religion we want even the President Obama said so. This is a free country for a reason.

August 31, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  265. Stafanie

I say that its alright to build a Mosque. Religion is something most of the population practices. And no matter what it is, it should be respected. 911 happened a long time ago, and everyone has a right to religion. No one should punish all the believers just because a group -NOT ALL- the Muslims terrorized our nation. They have that right. And I say the Mosque should be built.

September 1, 2010 at 7:16 am |
  266. tristen

i oppose this because the 9/11 site is a gravesite for lots of lost family members. this is an insult to all of the Americans that died the day of 9/11.

September 1, 2010 at 7:17 am |
  267. Marie

I for one thinks it doesnt matter wgat race you are. whether or not muslim. America gives us the right to religon.that is not fair for the muslims at all.let them have their mosque.Let them BE......

September 1, 2010 at 7:18 am |
  268. Diana

To me i find this a disgrace. After the bombing of the twin towers, a mosque should not be built on or even near the twin towns previous location. I find this to be an insult. And i find this mental.

September 1, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  269. Emily.

In my opinion i believe that this is a horrible idea, buyliding a mosque near ground zero is so stupidthe muslims are the one's who destryoed the twin towers. i mean they have the right to do it because they got the right to do it but they should build somerthing better like a mall or something thats just my opinion

September 1, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  270. Elena

Creating a Mosque near Groun zero is totally disresptful. This cite was where thousands of people died, and just building over it is kind of not memoring those lives that were lost. 9/11 was accident that was tragic and no one new that it was going to happen. It would affect the family's who lost loves one on 9/11.

September 1, 2010 at 2:58 pm |
  271. ERICA

I THINK THEY SHOULD NOT BUILD MOSQUE GROUND ZERO THEIR BECAUSE MANY PEOPLE GOT KILLED DURING 9/11 ATTACK THE PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE THAT REMBERANCE OF WHERE THIER LOVED ONES DIED IF THEY BUILD MOSQUE GROUNG ZERO THIER I WOULD THINK OF IT AS DISRESPECT TO THE PEOPLE LOVED ONES WHO DIED IN THAT SAME SPOT

September 1, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  272. Aurora

It is in my personal opinion that everyone is entitled to have a place of worship, however, the mosque shouldn't be constructed one block away from Ground Zero because on that day thousands of Americans lost their lives because of a terrorist attack. By constructing a mosque we are forgetting and disrespecting those who were left for dead. The message that the terrorists were enforcing was hatred, intentions meant to harm thousands of innocent lives and therefore, a place that was once an atmosphere of silence and hatred shouldn't be replenished with spiritual beleifs.

September 1, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
  273. Ushaia

In the United States of America EVERYONE has freedom of religion. I am supporting the Islamic Center/Mosque construction because I despise racism. Not giving the green light to the developers to create the Islamic Center would have been unconstitutional. Like Jonathan stated some opposing critics are completely irrational and racist because they believe that if the Islamic Center is built that there will be more terrorists which is just a stupid thought. Just because a person is of the Islamic religion does not make them a terrorist, its just like saying that if a person doesn't believe in God that they are inhumane.

September 1, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  274. Stephanie

I understand that we all have the liberty to practice freedom of religion, and that it would be considered stereotyping to the Islamic people for the acts of 9/11, by treating them like terrorist. Yet we also have to consider and spare the feelings of those who lost many family members on that day and, it's true, Manhattan has many other places to build a mosque, why there, is it really to try to make a point. I mean Ground Zero is there because of an Islam terrorist. To me it would be an inconsiderate act to let them build the mosque so close.

September 1, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  275. Akira

i think that they should build it somewhere else because the 9/11 site is a place where people have died when the building had got caught in the fire.
    there has just been so many memories at the 9/11 site. now why would you do that? cant you just honor the people that died in that building.?? how do you not know that that site isnt hunted or something ? why would you risk it? you know peopl these days they dont think about anything they just go ahead and do it. you know its just not right or fair at all what so ever.
    so u know what why dont they just built it there if it something happens to that place just like 9/11 then its not anyone that says that they shouldnt build it there because you know what you never know what will happen

September 1, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  276. Austin

I think think the developers should build it because america is a free country and that includes the freedom of religion. The people didn't attack the twin towers the terroists did.

September 1, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  277. Moses

Well, I think that they should be able to build the mosque near ground zero. Like, whats the big deal?? it NEAR ground zero, not on it. Also, saying that muslems can't build a place to practice their religion, is completely absurd. It is being racist also. They know that they are violating the constitution in not allowing them to build it there. Like my dad always says, if it doesn't cause you to go to jail, cause you phyisical harm or causes you to get in trouble, then just let it go.

September 1, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  278. Jacoby

I agree with the student some teacher stay on a same subject all the time and don't get a chance to do another subject

September 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  279. Itzel

I believe that everyone has freedom of religion and even though they are muslim it does not necessarily mean they are terrorist. Maybe it was not a great idea to pick that exact location ,but either way i think it should be built . Just because the 9/11 incident was caused by maybe about five muslim doesn't mean that every muslim out there is a terrorist. If they are citizens of America that means they also have rights just like any other citizen of america

September 1, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  280. Julian

While I agree with President Obama about the Muslims having a right to have a mosque built, i do not think it should be built near ground zero as it is a historic place and nothing should be built on it or near it as a sign of respect for those who died on that gruesome day. So go ahead build a mosque just make sure that where it is built it is far away from ground zero

September 1, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  281. Melissa

I do not agree on putting a church there because Muslim is just one religion it is not like only Muslims died on that day that is an historic ground. There should be an important building there maybe built for the president or there should just be nothing there because if u just drop a Muslim church there what about the people who dont believe in a Muslim believe and they feel disrespected because there people'd died that day.

September 1, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  282. Felicita

Well i look at it two ways.... one way is that it was not all Muslims who attacked there, it was just a group of terrorist who happened to be of Muslim religion. Also, this is America where everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and religions. BUT, I do not agree what so ever with putting the mosque near ground zero because it became ground zero in the first place because they were following their religion. And it's not right to put that monument in a place where our people fought and died to save others lives. Most Americans are probably opposed to it because they don't want the memory of the people who died there to be replaced with a mosque. Yet, like Julian said... i don't have a problem with them building a mosque in America i have a problem with them building it near ground zero.

September 1, 2010 at 7:46 pm |
  283. eureka

i don't think that's a good idea because i feel like the site should stay as a souvenir or some kind of memory of what happened. i mean a lot of people lost their lives in that attack; it's not like one person died because they wanted to they didn't have a choice but to die and people should't forget that.

September 1, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  284. Justin

I dont think that it is fair to all the familiy's who had loved ones lose their lives to the 9/11 attack. Now when they look they see a muslum church built right there wherer the people from the same religon had bombed the twin towers. If someone shot a famley member of yours would you want people to build a shrine of the killer or your familiy member? Think about that.

September 1, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
  285. wendy

For starters I think everyone have a right to worship whenever and wherever they want, but honestly when it comes to building it right by ground zero I completely disagree because there more places where they can build there building. Beside why is it such a big deal to them, they should just build it somewhere else. If they are not up to something.

September 1, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  286. Maudashley .

I agree with them building the Islamic center even though its near ground zero . Every one has the right to practice any religion they like . I understand that the victums from 9/11 are hurt by them buling the Islamic center there , but they should understand that not all Muslims are terrorists .

September 1, 2010 at 8:46 pm |
  287. Efrain

I, strongly, disagree with building a Mosque near Ground Zero. They are not thinking about the people that passed away on the 9/11 incident. Those people that died were completely innocent and building a Mosque near Ground Zero is COMPLETELY disrespectful. That's exactly like saying that the owner of the New York Yankees is going to build a brand new Yankees stadium on top of a New York cemetery. I am sorry, but this is not okay with me. -_____-

September 1, 2010 at 9:28 pm |
  288. Christopher

Wow , it appaules me that we're in the 21st century and there are people still bickering about religion, race , and land . Like are you serious . Ok i understand 9/11 and how important ground zero is to America. But i begg to differ, America is a free country , and America also as its freedoms . And one freedom is freedom of religion which i might add. So its down right disrespectful to tell them where and where not to to their Mosque !

September 1, 2010 at 9:49 pm |
  289. Leoronashira

I feel that everyone is entitled to practice their own religion. This is supposed to be a free country. If they want to build a mosque they should have the right.

September 1, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  290. Daniel

I think that it is very insensitive to build a Mosque on the Ground Zero territory; where many underwent a chatastrophe. On the other hand, according to our Constitution, US citizen Muslims the right to practice their religion. I just think its not right to make one right next to Ground Zero. The government has proposed other sites for them to build their Mosque. However, they still want to build it by ground zero.

September 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  291. William

I think they shouldn't build an Islamic center, including a mosque over ground zero. They shouldn't build it on ground zero because it is like memorable cite for people to visit. Anyways they should also build the Islamic center and the mosque. But it may be dangerous in the same plan because they may planned to attack again the USA. So if they build a Islamic center and mosque they should build it far from ground zero.

September 2, 2010 at 12:07 am |
  292. Brandon

I think they shouldn’t build an Islamic center anywhere near where 9-11 happened. The Islamic people should be able to practice their beliefs but not where 9-11 happened that’s just asking for problems like riots and boy-cotts.

September 2, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  293. raymond

Obama was write about the Muslims having a right to have a mosque built, i do not think it should be built near ground zero as it is a historic place and nothing should be built on it or near it as a sign of respect for those who died on that gruesome day. So go ahead build a mosque just make sure that where it is built it is far away from ground zero cause everyone has freedom of relion

September 3, 2010 at 11:31 am |
  294. raymond

i agree that everyone should have their freedom of religion and freedom to build their religion buildings but i disagree where their building it at. For one its too close-i mean they could build it ANYWHERE ELSE. i dont think it should be build near ground zero...i mean look back at the 9/11 incident. lives has been lost and will never be replace...

September 3, 2010 at 11:39 am |
  295. Clifford

It is a disgrace to America to build a Mosque near a place they call a victory against the "American Infidel". If you ask me we should have stayed in the Middle East and taken the place they call home. I am a American Nationalist and Imperialist. No one attacks this great country and gets away with it.

September 3, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  296. Nisa

I myself am a muslim who believes in Islam. This country has the right of religion, so the mosque should be built wherever they want to.

September 3, 2010 at 9:29 pm |
  297. alexis

i was alive during the 9/11 tarrerest attack and i don't feel they should build it so close to ground zero, sure they can build it just not that close to ground zero!

September 4, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
  298. alexis

the president should not suport this mosc being bulit i believe what he said before was a way to arragent i could hardly believe it! he's only trying to get more publisaty!

September 4, 2010 at 9:42 pm |
  299. Corbin

I disagree with president Obama, because it is not moral to build a mosque near ground zero and it would be EXTREMELY disrespectful to all of the 9/11 survivors and families of the ones who passed away.

September 5, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  300. Kristen

I say definetly not! What does buiding the mosque have to prove! We don't want to encourage the Islamics. I have nothing against muslims, but their country devastated ours!

September 8, 2010 at 11:29 am |
  301. Noor

I AGREE TO HAVING THE MOSQUE BUILT! I am a muslim and I know darn well that the terrorists were not TRUE Muslims because Islam is a very peaceful religion. I want to educate Americans on this very sensitive issue. The reason why muslims want to build the mosque on ground zero is because they want to show America that they are there peacefully. Americans have the right to be upset and I completely understand why, but they have to know that Muslims aren't these viscious terrorists. If Americans have the right to take a stand, so do we because we are Americans too. We are Muslim AMERICANS! Muslims were affected by 9/11 in more ways than you could imagine. Muslims DID die in 9/11 and since then, we've ALL been catoragized as terrorists by many (not all, and we are honestly thankful for that) Americans.

September 8, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  302. Mary

The first amendment says that EVERYONE is free to practice their religion. We should not go around judging people because of terrorists who attacked our country. Can you not see that these terrorists are not true Muslims? But, because we have created a stereotype for these people of the Islamic religion, they have no chance to prove to us that they are kind people, and would never bomb us. Building a mosque near ground zero will bring no danger to our country. In fact, if we allow this, we may be able to get along more with the countries of the middle east. It will also help us when it comes to the war. How can we strive to become a unified country if we do not allow the muslims to practice their religion freely? The pilgrims came to America to grant religious freedom to themselves, and others to come. I think we should stop being so stuck up about people who are different from us, and learn to respect others. I know that terrorists who attacked this country claimed to be muslim, but we all know they were not. We need to actually attempt to step in the shoes of those who practice the Islam religion. It was not their wrongdoing, but the people who went against everything they believe in! And for the record, President Obama never actually said that he supported the building of the mosque at ground zero; he just said that he believed that this country was about granting religious freedom to everyone. And I agree with him.

September 8, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  303. cookie

i totally DIS-agree. I mean why in the world would we want to remember such a tradegy that happened to us. Even the mayor of NYC offered them a larger piece of land far away from it but they turned it down! Now i will say that not all Muslims are plotting to do something bad to America but it only takes one bad apple to ruin the basket. it could be that one person who wants to take revenge on America. but all inall i disagree

September 9, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  304. morgan

America is supposed to be a country with freedom of religion and its not like they are building it right next to ground zero its two blocks away in an old unused building space. its just plain rude that your denying them their rights

September 10, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  305. austin

As U.S citizens, I feel they have the right to do so. they were not responsible for the 9-11 attack, but the terrorists were.

September 10, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  306. Armando

I think the muslims have every right to build a mosque near ground zero . It would be wrong to say they shouldn't . The muslims did not cause the accident that happen on 9/11 . It was terrorist . No one can blame all the muslims for the actions of a few . I also feel they should build it because they get to practice their religion & because we believe in freedom of religion , & if the muslims wanting to build the mosque are citizens of the U.S then they can build it .

September 10, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  307. Kadayje

This is not a good idea, though everyone should get along. I don't agree or disagree. i think we shoud have peace and love in the world.

September 10, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  308. Bindi

It is very insensitive to build a mosque on ground zero. I don't hate Muslims or anything, but to build a worship center there is like spitting in the face of deceased's loved ones.

September 10, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  309. Connor

I feel that if the islamic center is built near Ground Zeroe it will be a descrace to the American people . I know that it was Islamic terrist that caused the attacks but if they think our wounds have healed they are very wrong .

September 11, 2010 at 10:35 am |
  310. stelton

Although this country is free in ways other country's are not that doesn't mean that you should put an Islamic center near a place that thuosands of people died at.

September 11, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  311. stelton

Noor although what you say might be true but a lot of AMERICANS died in 9/11. And how would the Muslims be affected by something that didn't even happen were muslims live. The AMERICANS were affected more that anything or one. I am Native American.

Kristen this country is free and people can do what they want as long as they abide by the rules. And how would that be encouroging the Islamics if the ALKIDA did 9/11. Another thing Muslims died in 9/11 NOT just Americans.

September 11, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  312. Eyre

I am not taking a side on the Mosque being built since i agree that they have the right to build it. But i fell that it would be safer and much less contiveriasl if they moved it.

I don't hate muslims at all. I fell that they are good people who only wish for others to understand their religion more.

If there is no understanding than there is no peace. If there is peace without understand than there won't be a very good peace.

After listening to everything doing with hate and such for nine years i am tried more than ever of it. They are making such a big deal and its has tired me out. Why can we not just get along and bring PEACE?

September 11, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  313. Dylan

Well people have been saying bad things about the buildings of the islamic center and mosque close to the 9/11 site, but they have to think they can't do any thing about it because 9/11 happened in 2001, and besides 99.9% of muslims are peace making

September 11, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  314. jones

i dont see why every one is mad at the muslims it just so happens the the terrorists were muslims but there are american terrorist to

September 11, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  315. Paiton

I that building the mosque is wrong. I know that not every muslim is are terrorists but not everyone understands that, so I think that there would be much violence over a building. I also think that building the mosque is wrong because I am a christian and I think many of the people that did die on 9/11 were too. And if they were alive today I don't think that they would want it built. I mean think of all those people and families that have in some way shape or form affected by 9/11, do you think they would want it built? I mean walk a mile in their shoes. We need to work together here and come up with a way to make it agreeable. Maybe they could make oe in their country just not here

September 12, 2010 at 11:59 am |
  316. Drake

I feel completely oppose the building of the mosque. If you look at history, it shows that theocratic societies would build a religious center to show victory. I believe that, that is exactly what the Imam is trying to do.

September 12, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
  317. Gib

I, along with 72% of Americans, believe that the building of a proposed Islamic Center/Mosque is absolutely insane and disrespectful to the 3,000 Americans who lost their lives on 9/11 and also to thier dear friends and families. There is a limit to Freedom of Religion, just as there are limits to Freedom of Speech. You can't yell "fire" in a movie theatre, and you can't build a mosque next to the site of the mass murder of 3,000 innocent Americans. The group running this project to build the mosque is trying to "spread the peace" when all they are doing is causing pain. There are too many questions about this center next door to GZ... Why does a mosque have to be built close to GZ when there is a little Islamic population within the area?? Why do they have to schedule a dedication date for 9/11/11?? American families around the country Saturday, especially those who lost a loved one 9 years ago, were crying for the lost of their fellow countrymen, fellow loved ones... It's time we pay a little respect to them, the innocent office workers of the Twin Towers, and to the fallen heroes of 9-11. It's our Country.

September 12, 2010 at 9:19 pm |
  318. mariah

i think it ridiculous that they have to build it so close to ground zero they should build it somewhere else or not build it at all...

September 13, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
  319. Molly

I am half on and half off the fence on this one... I do ageree that building the mosque so close to ground zero is not the best plan, but not building it would be just plain racist and America is a free country, am I right? Not building the mosque would show weakness in our counrty and our ability of getting over things, but no, I am not saying we should forget what happened but just not show as much pain and weakness. So all-in-all they should build the mosque but just not as close to ground zero as planned. BE SRONG AMERICA!! 🙂

September 13, 2010 at 9:30 pm |
  320. Jay

Ignorance is not a reason to deny someone a place to worship. Not all Muslims are terrorist... You can not judge may by the actions of a few. If there was a Mosque near there before that was destroyed in the attack, then they should be able to build a new one there to replace it.

September 13, 2010 at 9:39 pm |
  321. Ira

Whether a person agrees or disagrees the right to build the mosque is guaranteed by the Constitution.

September 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  322. sara

I think it is totally the WRONG thing to do. The muslims blew up a world trade center and now they want to build a place of worship right near it. I say no its like they are praiseing thier god that they were able to blow the towers up

September 14, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  323. Yale

Even though I do not agree there is nothing our nation can do about it, civil rights protects their belief and i don't mind that, it's just that it's to close to ground zero that's all.

September 14, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  324. Eli

I believe that even person has the right to practice their religion freely. Isn't freedom what America is all about anyway? It would be a total contradiction to what we believe in and fight for to as Americans to not permit the Muslim-American community to build a Mosque in New York, regardless of the fact that it's close to ground zero. Honestly, I think that those 3,000 people that lost their lives at the 9/11 attacks would be ashamed of us if we prevent these people from making a new place of worship. Crazy and sick minded terrorists were the people the killed those 3,000 Americans, Not just regular Muslims. I don't even care if the terrorists said they did it in "the name of Islam", because although I am not Muslim, I know that most Muslim people (including those intending to build the mosque) would say it was totally against their beliefs to kill all those people on 9/11.

September 14, 2010 at 7:04 pm |
  325. jimmy

Hey Gib, there actually is no limit to the freedom of religion, read the bill of rights I think its the first one on the list.

September 14, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  326. Rendy

I do not agree with the Mosque Being dedicaded on the date 9/11. This is were i feel they have crossed the line. I do however understand that they are building the Mosque as a community center to show the world that all muslims are not terrorists! However I'm sure they could find a more appropriate time and place. Im more so concerned with the fact that nothing has been done with ground 0 and it has been 9 years!!!! We should be building a dedication to the 3000 lives that were lost in the attacks. But more importantly I think that we as Americans have more important concerns to be worried about! Like the war in Iraq and this rediculous health reform that is only hurting the already struggling American.

September 14, 2010 at 9:44 pm |
  327. Brittnei

And i hear most of yall saying build it somewhere else shoot you wanna know what i think how about dont BUILD IT ALL. Anywhere not in the whole intire world matter dont even give them the privilege to do NOTHING i woulndnt give a FAT BABIES TAIL if they cried or not i would laugh right in there face and walk the HECk away

September 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm |
  328. courtney

I do not agree because that is why are twin towers were and this is our country not there’s and if they have a problem with it they can get the heck out.

September 16, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  329. Maddie

I understand that it's freedom of religion, but honestly that is so rude what the muslims are doing. Seriously go build it somewhere else, and stop trying to build mosques everywhere.

September 16, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  330. carter

I think that it is comepletely okay for them to build a mosque near ground zero. The constitution states that everyone has the right to practice freedome of speech, religion, and press. It would be unconstitutional not to let them build it.

September 16, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
  331. Briana

They Have the Right to do what they want, But in my opinion i find it extremely disrespectful to those who lost family members in the terrorist attack on 9/11 also i don't find it respectful that that guy threatened us, This is a free country but you have to do whats right.

September 16, 2010 at 9:26 pm |
  332. Beau

I think they have every right to build there, but I think it shouldn't be too close. And some protesters are right, Muslims did lose their lives in the 9/11 terrorist attacks, too. But, there are so many other places they could build a Mosque. So why don't they build it somewhere else.

September 16, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  333. Matthew

i think that we shouldent build a mosque because the terrorists will see it as another victory. There are many beautiful places in new york city for them to build a mosque and it will prove to be just as successful! I dont mean to be jugemental but there are many famalys that are still scared from that trajic day. but muslims should be able to pratice there reloigon freely. i also think they should not put it near ground zero. 🙂

September 17, 2010 at 5:38 pm |

The constitution says that Americans are free, so the American Muslims have a right to build the mosque, but most Americans would oppose it, being that ground zero was attacked 9 years ago.

September 17, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  335. Allison :)

I think that it will be safer and more respectful if they do not put it there. Families of the people killed in 9/11 will pass the building and will be reminded of more pain. Also, people who cared about people who were killed in 9/11 might attack the building and the people in it so it wouldn't be safe.

September 17, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  336. Meghan

i dont think they should build it right there because that is where our building were destored but they should build one just not there.

September 18, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  337. Abdul

Would anyone say anything if they were building a synagogue???

No.

September 18, 2010 at 9:33 am |
  338. Michael

To build a mosque near ground 0 is bad. Ground 0 is a part of our history. It's like your friend building a robot and makes its birthday the same day as yours.

September 18, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  339. lily

I think they should build a mosque near ground 0.I mean Muslims were affected my it too.And also to ALL OF YOU who think they should not becuse a Muslim terrorist blow up the twin towers thats just being a stereotype.

September 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  340. Alyssa

I, as an individual, want to know more about the Islamic religion. I don't think a certain group should be denied something that they have a right to. I understand that people are scared of Muslims and defensive of 9/11 but if we don't evolve and let go of the past, we can't move forward in the future. America is supposed to be about rights and new opportunities so let's get with it!

September 20, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  341. Teresa Anna

I believe everyone has all rights to practice their own religions and live their lives the way they want to, as long as it's not hurting nor disrespecting. But to put an Mosque or Islamic Center near Ground Zero is off the wall, so to say. It's leaning towards disrespectful.. They should just call it good and respect why so many people do not want them to build one that close to Ground Zero, although they have the freedom all Americans do. They would have their own right to build it there, but it'll cause so many problems I think in the long run it's not worth it. I think if they do get the okay to build it near Ground Zero, there will be some vandalism occurring cause everyone will be upset it's that close.

September 20, 2010 at 11:24 am |

i think its not the best idea because they did it and i know it wasnt all there fault but to respect the land i disagree!

September 21, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
  343. mason

i think its a bad idea because its too close to were are country reunited

September 21, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
  344. london

I say they should NOT build a mosque on ground zero! many heroes died on this day and I definatly think it made america a stronger country that land is like our pride, our pride of of being an american i think we should leave it be and let our pride go on!

September 21, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  345. ciara

I strongly disagree 100%, they shouldnt of even thought of that idea and they can build it elsewhere!they should never even menthion it again!

September 21, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  346. Brekyn

It was a horrible day on 9/11 and now their thinking of building a islamic center!!! I think its crazy. They crashed into the twin towers they dont desirve anything from or in america.

September 21, 2010 at 1:59 pm |
  347. alexis

everyone should have the right to express there religon, so i'm not saying they can't build it's just like a smack in the face to here where it is being built so close to a place where so many inocent people died just 'cause some phyco disided to blow the world trade centers down! if i lived in new York i'd be on the side of justice, the side that doesn't believe it should be there, i'm not trying to say they shouldn't build it at all but they should be more correct on where it is farther away from groand zero.

September 21, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
  348. Lauren

Doesn't the Muslim community have like 5 mosques that they can go to on their way to the one that may be built so close to ground zero? I am not against Muslims (One of my friends is Muslim), but it is just disrespectful to our counrty

September 21, 2010 at 7:04 pm |
  349. kenneth

the mosque will probably open old wounds for some of the 9/11 families.
    the freedom of religion still stands. i'm just worried about there being a riot!

September 21, 2010 at 9:09 pm |
  350. chris

hy i think the goverment should not build the moose near ground zero because the high jackers were muslim and they were alkata opertabvies and i think if marine personal on leave pass by they are most likely go crazy.and plus in my opinion if the govermont say yes people are just going to think about 911.and plus were making a big mistsake about leaving iraq,because when we leave bin latin is going to come out of hiding,and if we try to kill him he's just going to hide.and when the iraq police see the talaghbin they are most likely runaway.and by the way i am plaing on joining.and if you talk about this do not say i want to jloin the marine corps.

September 22, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  351. JB

free country!!!

September 22, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  352. Alan

i think its ridiculous that they would even think about building the mosque at ground zero, where all those innocent people died by none other than Islamist. but i dont care if they build it but just not even near ground zero

September 22, 2010 at 3:34 pm |
  353. Kayla

I think to the muslem world it is a symbol of victory. It is no sign of victory. Parts of the plane that hit the twin towers landed on the building so it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to close to ground zero.

September 22, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  354. Fang

I think that building a mosque at ground zero. for god sakes they killed our people on 9-11. I think someone should talk to Oboma and tell him even though he is Muslim we are not and we do not want to have them worshoping where they killed Americans. that would make them want to kill us more!!!!

September 22, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  355. nathaniel

i think that the mosque should be built on another plot of land because it was our soldiers and brave men and women in uniforms that died on that ground and it was a muslim attack not any other. this is a oppinion born of a millitary family.

September 22, 2010 at 8:38 pm |
  356. Jen

Although I understand the sensitivity of the issue, I also understand that our Constitution is final. The mosque builders probably SHOULDN’T build the community center there, but it is private property and the first amendment does not come with an “Except in the case of…” clause. I simply can’t bring myself to oppose the freedom of religion guaranteed to all Americans, no exceptions.

September 23, 2010 at 10:33 am |
  357. MADDI

The Islamic people lost people too!!!!!!! they have the same rights as us!!!!!!

September 23, 2010 at 11:54 am |
  358. tacolicious

I think that the muslims wanting to build a spot of worsip on ground zero should be considered a sign of piece.

September 23, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
  359. Tess

If the Muslims want to build a Mosque near ground zero, I say "OK" because they weren't doing it to insult the victims of 9/11. In fact I think it's more like a display of peace between us. Respectful.

September 23, 2010 at 1:03 pm |
  360. celestrial

think it is a bad idea to build an islomic center because I think a lot of people wont like it and if there trying to make peace do it another way.

September 23, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
  361. Nathaniel

I think that some people are just being prejudice the Islamic Protesters had nothing to to with to Twin Towers Crash It is the Terroist not them!

September 23, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  362. gabby

I think it isn't a good idea because they bombed that area. It's almost like there marking there territory and so many people were killed amd family members that walk or drive passed the islamic center propely getting hidious flashbacks and memories, but im not saying Islams shoudn't have an Islamic center. They should just put it somewhere else. That would hopefully solve the fighting.

September 23, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  363. Domity

in my opinion i think its a good and bad idea to build a mosque at ground zero. the reason why they should built it there is because it gives people bad memories when they go there, and the good reason is people have the right of religous freedom

September 24, 2010 at 9:54 am |
  364. jordan

they should not build it here or anywhere nere our country. they should build it in there own country. where they be long.

September 24, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  365. Jordan

they shouldn't build there. their people killed ours then they want to build there. whats wrong with them? they should build somewhere else.

September 24, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  366. leybis

i don't think they should build any thing in ground zero, sooner or later there will be fights cause of that, and it's wrong building it there, it wasn't all the Islamics falt but there still all part of it

September 24, 2010 at 10:06 am |
  367. Antonio

I think that it wouldn't be a bad thing because it was exrtremists who did 9/11.

September 24, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  368. Miguel

I'm not Islamic but still they have their rights. So what 9-11 is a big deal don't get me wrong. But the attack was done by extremist not evry one that is Islamic. Amreica is a free country to every one and people should have their rights to build a church. It is not like the a Church is bad they go and have a meeting. Not plane out any thing bad. I say let them build their church and have peace.(=

September 24, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  369. legit

nathaniel it wasn't all muslims went along with the attack. i agree though the mosque should be built in another area because i dont think it is right for it to be built like right there. but think it has to be made somewhere...

September 24, 2010 at 10:21 am |
  370. Ostin

what are you kidding me that is wrong. they have tho show us some way that we can beleve them.

September 24, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  371. SB

I don't think they should build the mosque at ground zero. I don't care if they build it or not. They should just build it some where else.

September 24, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  372. Paolo

Its a tragedy that the twin towers were knocked down in 9-11-01! Although it is a great idea that we are gonna have a museum where the twin towers were down. I mean what are we gonna do with all that open space?

September 24, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  373. Stephanie

I disagree building an islamic church on ground zero. Because it was where the twin towers used to stand before 9/11 happen.

September 24, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  374. Ryan

i dont care. its their decision. so yea.

September 24, 2010 at 1:28 pm |
  375. Rachel

I think they should not put it near ground Zero. Its a bit suspicious if you ask me.(:

September 24, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
  376. Sean

I think they should build it because it might make the terrorest feel like we care. Then mabey they might stop the terrorest atacks.

September 24, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
  377. Rebal

I think that not all Muslims are terrorist maybe just the al quida Muslim
    (my friend is Muslim) and him and his family are one of the most peacfull people i know.

September 24, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  378. Leigh

I think people will get the wrong idea by putting that near Grond Zero. I am one of those people it just makes things a little worse. The more impact gives more violence and fights. To me I think they should move it. I'm not trying to be rude to people who agree with this but its logical come on!

September 24, 2010 at 1:37 pm |
  379. Shannyea

i think that is kind of ironic how after the attact now the want to build a center. But then again it is 9 years after the attact so i think it would be a good idea to show people that they mean no harm to us. and i think freedom is freedom it was extreamist who flew the planes so it is okay with me

September 24, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  380. Ethan

I think the Islamics are telling the truth. Those were Extremists that flew into the Twin Towers. I do think the Islamics should get there center.

September 24, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  381. Avery

I think near Ground Zero is a bad place to put it. They could definetly build it somewhere else. I don't know why they would put it near Ground Zero but to me I dont think its right.

September 24, 2010 at 1:41 pm |
  382. Kate

If they need one so badly they can put it somewhere else. Not where our troops and americans died by a terror attack I thinkthat is disrespectful.

September 24, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
  383. Cesar

I believe that the goverment should allow this because this will show that America is being a bigger person for doing this. I mean it will show that the past is forgiven. Probably a step forward to peace and prosperity.

September 24, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  384. Kevin

I think it's a horible ldea. Why cant they build it somewhere else.

September 24, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  385. Loc

i think it two friend. they must be built on another place.

September 24, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
  386. Katie

With no disrespect towards the islams, but i believe the the mosque should be moved some where else. I think it would make americans feel a bit upset that some islams have no sensitivity towards the thousands of americans lost on that day. I don't mind that there is a mosque being built, because everyone the right to worship as they freely wish, but i don't agree that it should be placed so close to a huge american tragity were so many people lost their lives.

September 24, 2010 at 2:04 pm |
  387. James

I think that the islamic center has all of new york to build it. People still morn the day that so many innocent people died so they can move it some were else. I know that might sound a bit harsh but someone from the islamic center in the future (if they let them build it there) could be an extremest an blow something else up!!! nowone new 9/11 was going to happen something else can happen in the future.

September 24, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  388. renae

i agree that they can have their own religon but when its near ground zero, thats when it will become a problem for most people

September 26, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  389. McKenna

I do NOT support this new mosque because the land should be used for something more American and not for something that will be used by the culture that destroyed the land they are planning to build there little religion site at.

September 26, 2010 at 7:44 pm |
  390. Caleb

freedom of religion gives them every right to build a mosque at ground zero if the entire world thought like that there probably be no centers for religion any where

September 28, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  391. Caleb

freedom of religion gives them every right to build a mosque at ground zero if the entire world thought like that there probably be no centers for religion any where.

September 28, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  392. fred

build it

September 29, 2010 at 7:45 am |
  393. Kaylee

I just don't think that is a very good idea to build it right next to ground zero, yes I know that Islams themself didn't attack the twin towers, but the terroist that were also Islamic did. So building that right next to ground zero is like telling them that it was ok to kill the people, and that we surrender to them!

September 29, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  394. Cara

I believe the mosque should be built. Our country is founded on religious freedom, therefore, not allowing the mosque to be built is taking a step backwards from our advancement as a society. The terrorists of 9/11 were not persuaded to attack the United States because they were Muslim, they were sent by Al Qaeda. The mosque will not represent the terrorist, but will show the acceptance of our nation. I believe we should not only allow the mosque to be built, but we should also be supportive of it. By being supportive it will create a stronger bond, and even peace, with the Muslim community, making the relationship better for my generation.

September 29, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
  395. Sydney

I believe there should not be a problem with the building of the Islamic center near the 9/11 attacks. I understand the feelings of the family members who lost loved ones on 9/11, and I understand why they do not want an Islamic Mosque. There will be many more centers as part of the building being made, therefore, the whole building is not designated to the Islamic Mosque. The Muslims deserve a place to worship because the U.S. is a free country and the people have a right to their religion, according to the Constitution. Personally, if I can worship the God I want, then the Muslims should be able to worship who and what they want. The Islamic religion is not what terrorized the country on 9/11. Some people believe the Muslims use their mosques as training grounds to plot bad things against the U.S. If we let them build in Manhattan, the U.S. government will be able to keep an eye on the events in the mosque; we can keep our enemies close.

September 29, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
  396. Lindsey

I do support the Islamic Center/Mosque. Not because I particularly approve of it being so near to Ground Zero, but because the people of this religion should not be shut out because of something that terrorists were involved in. They are not responsible for the tragedy. If ANYTHING, they were just as scared as we were on that day. So leave them be, because they deserve something to call their own in America.

October 1, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  397. Katie

It is perfectly legal to do so and we have freedom of relgion so they have a right to bulid a mousqe there. It is also a picie of property and can be bought so we cant tell them we cant do that. But it is totaly stupid they are buliding there holy place on a scared ground to us, people of their relgion tore thoose buldings down. It would be like putting a church or snygog on the moutian that Muhmmad got his revlations.

October 8, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  398. Sydney

I have nothing against the muslim religion, but they should respect Ground Zero, and what it means to the people and hearts of America. They should be allowed to build a mosque, but not near Ground Zero.

October 12, 2010 at 11:15 pm |