.
June 28th, 2010

Summer So Far

With CNN Student News off the air, a lot of people have been asking if I'm off work.  No...though a two-month vacation would be sweet.  I've spent a bit of time with my family and done some mountain biking, but I've also been hard at work hosting an event called Leadership Unplugged.  It's a conference involving dozens of CNN employees, the staff of 21st Century Leaders, and 99 Georgia high school students selected for their talent and leadership potential.

My job included presenting, moderating discussion panels, and emceeing a dinner event, as well as getting to meet some of the brightest juniors and seniors out there.  As you can imagine, it involved a lot of talking, and as you'd expect, I loved it.  So while I may not be hosting the daily show, I'm still doing a lot of public speaking and (hopefully) staying in reporting shape for fall semester...

What have you been up to?

Filed under: Behind the scenes
  1. Wil

i have been playing in my pool with my brother

June 28, 2010 at 7:46 pm |
  2. Kavita

My family and I went on a vacation to New Jersey to meet my uncles. We also saw 4th of July fireworks. From New Jersey, we took a train ride to New York City to see the Statue of Liberty. We also went on a beach and had a lot of fun.

July 4, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  3. Christian

I participated in 21st Century Leaders Leadership Unplugged and it was a wonderful experience.! Thank you Carl Azuz once again!

July 8, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  4. Lisa

I have been having the best summer ever! I'm off to Hawaii first, then shopping in Malibu and Hollywood, California. Then I pack up and go to FIJI! One of my dream places. It's gonna be so fun! Then my family and I will go over to Europe and visit almost every single country. And I'm so HAPPY that today I'm on on CNN Student News!

July 9, 2010 at 12:18 am |
  5. Liz

My family and I are going to Hawaii, then we're taking a tour at universal studios, and then going to finland to meet some family members.

July 11, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  6. Mista

I really enjoy summer it usally starts by school ending.On June 20th i had my birthday the day school went out and i got some money.Then on July forth i was at the festivel in Winslow.Then later that night i went to the winslow fireworks with some friends.Then like a week later my mom made me go to summer school and it ruined my summer.

July 13, 2010 at 8:19 am |
  7. Logan

I LOVE SUMMER! I love summer because it is hot and a lot of fun. This year I stayed home for most of the summer because I didn't really want to go anywhere. I went swimming at home for most of the time because the temperature outside is usually in the ninety's.
    I love the summer because it gives me time to cool off from school, teachers, homework and things like that. I also do not like summer sometimes. This is because I sometimes do not get to see my friends a lot over the summer so i get really antsy. But anyways that is what i did over the summer.

July 13, 2010 at 8:24 am |
  8. Jason

This summer I have been camping. On the fourth of July I have been camping so I never got to see the fireworks. But when I was camping I got to hang out with my friend. I was swimming a lot in the past week altogether I swam for about 3 days. The best part about it so far was when I got to watch the FIFA World Cup. The best part about that is Spain won and one of my favorite teams in the MLS play for Spain that team is Barcelona, Spain. Even though I have done a lot so far I have had a really good summer so far.

July 13, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  9. Mista

I really enjoy school.It usually starts by school ending.On June 20th I had my birthday the day school went out and I got some money.Then on July fourth i was at the festivel in Winslow.Then later that night I went to the Winslow fireworks with some friends.Then like a week later my mom made me go to summer school and it ruined my summer.even though summer school makes me get up i guess it still lets me see my friends so its alright.

July 13, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  10. Jeff

Ive been busy this summer. I went to a funeral for my uncle. Next I went to a wedding and my cousin was born almost 5 days after. I went to the fireworks in Winslow and they were kinda boring. I also went to Texas for another funeral. I went fishing to.That is all I have done for my whole summer.

July 13, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  11. Tristan

My summer this ear has been okay. I have gone to Funtown Splashtown this summer. As well I have gone to my grandmother camp and stayed over there for a week. On the Fourth of July i went to my grandmother and had a partie there and then I went to the fireworks in Winslow. Currently I am in summer school and it's okay.

July 13, 2010 at 8:27 am |
  12. Isaac

Fun in the sun in summer. My friend and i went to the Winslow 4th of july and did stuff their all day.Then we went to my camp to go swiming and got something to eat.Then i went to my aunts to have a BBQ .then in the end i went to back to Winslow to watch the fireworks.And that was my summer so far.

July 13, 2010 at 8:29 am |
  13. Cody

My summer is pretty boring. I had to go to summer school. I don't wanna go to summer school because I have to work. But there are people that I can hang out with. Something I wanna do is go to The Annual Gathering Of The Juggalos on August 12-15 in Cave In Rock Illinois. My summer is still boring.

July 13, 2010 at 8:31 am |
  14. Abby

This summer has been pretty boring except one thing.My uncle and i went to see the movie Eclipse it was really good. It was about how the two vampire families had a hug fight and how Jacob likes Bella and how Bella wont say it . Eclipse has been the best movie that I have seen all summer.

July 13, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  15. Klint

This forth of July was scary. On the forth of July I when to see the fire works and about half way through it some fire work blow up in some ones face. And it was weird because we heard the fire work before it was in the air. So I think shooting fire works is on my list of what not to do.

July 13, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  16. domanick

I been playing pool with my bother and my cousin

July 13, 2010 at 10:15 am |
  17. Logen

I have been grounded but I still get to play games. My grandfather sang on rock band 2. I picked the high pitched songs, and it was loud. My mom sang, that was better. I was on the drums. I like playing games with my family.

July 13, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  18. domanick

I go swimming at my cap ground

July 13, 2010 at 10:17 am |
  19. elijah

The only thing I've done this summer is going to friends houses. Other then that I've done nothing. I've played video games at home and swam in my pool. The only thing fun that happened this summer was my aunt and uncle moving up to Maine from Massachuttes. Now I'm in summer school. It's been a pretty boring summer for me.

July 13, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  20. Shawn

This summer I want to go camping with my friend Mitchell. My mom has been planing this trip for over a year now. We might not be able to go because my step dad lost his job a few months ago so we don't have enough money to rent a camper like we planned. Overall my summer has been boring and unless I get to go camping its not going to change.

July 13, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  21. Dylan

Summer's been great. I've put on about 178 miles biking up north. I've also been camping a lot, this time of year is great for it. So glad its summer just because I can sleep in whenever I want. Most of the time I'm home swimming in my neighbors pool or hanging out down the road. I've also been working about all summer, pretty much anywhere I can get something to do. In the end it's always a great summer no matter how hot it is.

July 13, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  22. sienna

So far this summer I have gone swimming in a lake all most every weekend if its not raining out. I have also gone to my friend's birthday /slumber party. last week I went swimming like every day because my mom was on vacation it was so much fun then and on Wensday i went to the ocean with my moms two friends and there kids which i think are my age and it was so much fun. that is how my summer has been so far.

July 13, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  23. Jessica

This summer has been great for me. I got to see my best friend Juan that I haven't seen in forever...

July 13, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  24. Brittany

This summer I want to a campground, and I brought one of my friends. There were to boys that we go to school with. One night we opened a glow stick, one of the boys would make it go every were. Half of it went on my friend; She started getting it on me. Then it looked like we were glowing. This summer has been fun.

July 13, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  25. domanick

This summer was good. I saw the fireworks on tv and go to my friends house and play baseball.I also went on vacation to Boston.

July 13, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  26. julie

This summer i went to go see Eclipse with my friend Rebecca. Eclipse is about a girl who is in love with a vampire a bunch of vampires want to kill her and her best friend's a werewolf who also love's her but she love's her vampire more. It is the third book in the Twilight saga i thought it was the best so far because it follows the book more then the other ones, Twilight and New Moon. I still say the books are better than the movies because they have more detail in a five hundred page book then a two hour movie.

July 13, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  27. Kaitlin

This summer for me so far has been going great. The events that i have been doing so far have been Soccer Camps, Camping at Lamoine Beach, Kiacing, Swimming at Lake George, Fishing, Hangin' out with friends and family and just overall having a good time. One of the major events that i can not wait for is going on our family of seven trip to Disney World. Although we would love to have company from the rest of our family my sister Andrea and I are taking our own two person trip to Canada and Massachusetts for a few weeks. The catch is that we have to get passports in order to go to Canada. Although the passports aren't cheap to get in order to go to Canada overall I have had a really awesome summer.

July 13, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  28. Dylan

So this summer has been awesome! The first thing I did was go to Attitash mountain an went do the longest slide in north America (its a mile long) I got an all day pass an went down the slid about 11 times. The fun thing is that you can go up to about 25 mph but if you go that fast you can fall off which hurts bad. The first time i fell off the slid I got burned all on my arm.So I stayed there for to day an on the second day we went to 3 different water falls. The water was so cold colder than the ocean.
    For my July 4th I went with my friend to Portland an he has a boat so we watch the fire works from the water. We were about 100 yards from where they were setting the fire works off. When there were setting the fireworks off they had to big trucks full and one of they caught fire an had blown up, The worst part was that they didn't have an fire trucks down were the fire was an none could get down there. Finally they got the fire out.
    I bmx bike a lot during the summer going down to the schools trying to learn tricks, trying to do tricks. But this summer has been the best an the worst because me an my friends were biking one day when I was trying to learn a 180 off a ramp so I kept trying till I got it ! I was do good at them that day I went home an I was doing them I wanted to do one more, I go up on the ramp do the 180 but I pulled my left back muscle and it hurt bad I couldn't go biking for 3 days and I bike almost every day.
    This year will be my first year in summer school. Which won't be my favorite part but I got to do it. The funny thing was that I'm not really mad about going, It should be fun.....Right...

July 13, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  29. sarah

So far this summer has been okay. On the forth of July weekend we got to go to my uncles camp on Flag Staf lake for a family reunion. Then wile we were on our way to our peace of land that we just bought one of the tires on the camper popped when we were 3 mile form the land. Then on Monday my grandparents came and stayed for the rest of the week. we went fishing and one time I caught a sun fish and I will not take a fish off the hook so I made her get it off but when she up the fish in the water and it just floated and my mom started freaking out about it. After a little while it swam off. That is how my summer has gone so far.

July 13, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  30. Nicole

Dance camps. Modern, jazz, musical theater, and a lot of ballet, which I do during the school year.

July 13, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  31. hoon

When will you come back? I hope to see you sooooon!

July 14, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  32. francois

I spent one week in England, a nice country but ther language is a really challenge.

July 14, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  33. Kaitlyn

My summer is alright. I'm hanging out with my two best friends and I just wanna say that CNN Student News is awesome! We watch it in our Social Studies class. I ♥ Carl!!!!

July 15, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  34. Hyun

I'm korean...I'm really great fan of this show!
    ANYWAY, I hope to see you soon..
    I have been just studing in my home.
    Nowadays, korea is having a lot of rain, so I can't go out of my house!

July 15, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
  35. Lizzie

I am stuck in SUMMER SCHOOL!!

July 16, 2010 at 6:18 pm |

Miss you, Mr.Azuz!! (I like your last name:D) Hope you have a great time on your vacation and come back to the studio soon!!

July 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  37. David

Using ur program to practice listening for my coming TOEFL as well as a new marvelous college life in the United States

July 18, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  38. jimer

I am in Seoul korea. I went to everland and seoul land and lotte world It was a lot of fun!!!
    And I went to kyung bok goong korean palace. It was touching~!!^^
    and now I know that korea's south sea is not japenese sea!!

July 19, 2010 at 6:56 am |
  39. lisy

I am at the pool with my famiily!!!!!

July 19, 2010 at 6:58 am |
  40. heather

just rewatching old shows and your old news casts

July 20, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  41. will

hello? I'm Elementary students in Suwon South korea. I will go to camping next week so I'm interesting about it we will go for 4days! also we will see caves and alots of things,, The good thing is that we are on summer vacation

July 21, 2010 at 4:28 am |
  42. albina

waiting for updated news. i'm watching your news over and over again.
    i wish i could see you soon,
    oh and it's nice to leave these comments, i didin't know these things were existing. i'm worried about... it's my first time and i'm awkward in writing

July 22, 2010 at 2:33 am |
  43. student

I went with my friend to Portland an he has a boat so we watch the fire works from the water. We were about 100 yards from where they were setting the fire works off. When there were setting the fireworks off they had to big trucks full and one of they caught fire an had blown up, The worst part was that they didn't have an fire trucks down were the fire was an none could get down there. Finally they got the fire out.

July 24, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Brynna

This summer i went to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. When my sister went to Ireland for 13 days, we went to Cedar Point. When she got back, we went to sunlight pool. And to top it all off, i do bowling every tuesday for a league. My team of 3 got first out of 10.

July 26, 2010 at 9:15 pm |
  45. Jung

i'm in Korea and i will go to the East Sea in Kangwondo!!! yeah!!
    I've already been to waterpark one weeks ago and i had a really great time. But there were tons of people so i did not take slides much. anywat this summer is too hooooooooooot!!

July 29, 2010 at 8:52 am |
  46. april

summer has been hot and full of fun every where i turn but i still can't wait till school starts.

August 5, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  47. Ariadne

LUVED the movie INCEPTIOn!!!!!!!!!!!!
    staying home, no summer vacation :p
    doing math 24/7:(
    i actually miss schul

August 6, 2010 at 9:07 pm |
  48. Ngọc

I had a three – week Junior Language Course in Dassel, Germany and it was great!!
    My new schoolyear has started (too early 😦 ) and now I have to go back to school 😦

August 13, 2010 at 9:10 am |

went to Europe... it was fun!

August 18, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  50. Kendall

my summer is going great!

August 19, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  51. Kendall

i am at school right now it is our 3rd day of school

August 19, 2010 at 2:58 pm |
  52. song

This summer was very hot .so I stayed home with my family. At great weather we went beach with my family. But it was so hot too. It's very hot and funny in my summer.

August 24, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  53. song

My summer was very hot in KOREA. So I stayed in my house all day.
    sometimes I went outside...but it was hot too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But it was great for my summer.

August 24, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  54. Reilly

I was spending the summer doing lots of different things. I went to Holiday World and Michigan. I helped a lot at my church. I had FUN!!!!!!!

August 24, 2010 at 2:47 pm |
  55. katerina

i went to new york city and i had an awsome time 🙂

August 24, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
  56. lacie (;

personally i think the school day should start later but are school allready starts at 8:55 so who really cares if you go to bed early then you can get up early.right!!??? (;

August 24, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  57. Ethan

I think that this is a great accomplishment that we have most of our soldiers out of Iraq. We pray that the men who stayed in Iraq or in Afghanistan come home safe

August 25, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  58. Maria

Carl,
    21st Century Leaders really thanks you for all you did for us this summer! It was a blessing to get to learn from the best!

August 27, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  59. Desiree'

Most of the summer I was tubing with my family.

September 5, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  60. Kalea

I've been reading books this summer. I know it's definitely not what most kids do, but it is what i enjoy doing.

September 10, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  61. Sabrina

My summer waas amazingg:) I had the best time hanging out with my friends. Now im in school, waiting fir it to get over and done with for 2011 summer!! I plan to go campingg:) This summer I went to the Lagoon like 4 times.. And I had a great time!! 🙂

September 10, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  62. Mrs. Baughmans First Period class

That is ridiculous and stupid. I rather walk 2 miles than pay 400 dollars

September 13, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  63. Aliyah

I think the less amount of busses that a school gets the less amount of students go cause some ride the bus because no one can take them or they might live 4 miles away and there parents or parent is sick. I thing they should just go back to the original amount of busses.

September 13, 2010 at 9:13 pm |
  64. Judy

🙂 this summer was fabulous! 🙂

September 14, 2010 at 3:47 am |
  65. Alyssa

I would be getting a ride with friends . I would pay them gas money for taking me to school .I would not let them take me for free . I would do the same for them .

September 14, 2010 at 8:29 am |
  66. Benny

I would start to walk to school. I would do this because people are not getting enough exercise everyday. So this could be a good way to get the student some more exercise then gym. This would also keep you fit if you play a sport or run track.

September 14, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  67. Brandon

If the school bus were canceled, I would try to get a bike to ride to school every day. Riding a bike would be cheap, fast, and efficient with the lack of damage to the environment. I seriously doubt though that anyone would disagree that this would not be better than spending a ton on gasoline or $400 on bus rides.

September 14, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  68. Jesus

If the bus ride cost $400, I would hurry up and get myself driving. I would first carpool. Then after that get a permit. Six months after I had my permit, I would get myself driving, I have a car, and will do what I can to not pay that bus cost.

September 14, 2010 at 11:24 am |
  69. Chyanne

I would just walk to school for two reasons. One because it is not right for students parents to try and find the money for there kids to go to school. And two because exercise is good for many students. it will help overweight children lose the weight faster by walking to school.

September 14, 2010 at 11:24 am |
  70. Casey

I think if it costs that much i wouldn't ride the bus anymore. They do need the money for gas all year but that's just ridiculous.

September 15, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  71. Brianna

i would rather walk or ride with a friend than pay $400!

September 15, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  72. Neil

my summer was off the hook because we went to india for a trip

September 20, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
  73. Lexi

My summer was ok. It was very boring and alli did mainly was go to the moives with friends or watch tv or sleep wand eat. Usually we go somewhere but we are waiting for my moms uncle to pass becasue then his wife is going to come live with us. So we didnt really do much.

September 24, 2010 at 10:21 am |
  74. Violet

Summer well... it was OK. I was glad when school started, but not when the homework came! I stayed home most of the summer.

October 12, 2010 at 3:47 pm |