March 14th, 2010

Creative Solutions

HUNDREDS of you have talked to us this month about how the recession is affecting your schools - and we can see from our Quick Poll that many of your schools have been hit.

Now, we're looking for your ideas on how to solve the problem.  Some of you have supported four-day school weeks; others have discussed fundraisers to help keep school programs in place.  What other ideas do you have to help schools succeed when money is scarce?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Mike

I was floored when I saw so called "experts" on your station say that class size had no affect on quality of education. My mother taught for her entire life, and she agrees that the more student you stick in a classroom the less attention they will get.

The real issue with the usa's poor quality of education is parents who simply dont care, and tread schooltime as a babysitter for their kids. If parents dont take a hand in education the child will fail.

March 14, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  2. Rory

Energy costs of our schools is a huge cost, espectially in the northern climates. If the schools were to purchase their heating and electrical needs as a cooperative, or bulk purchaser of energy, there could be significant savings to the school systems over each school district purchasing energy independently. This would be a straight forward and proven means of reducing school costs.

March 14, 2010 at 8:52 am |
  3. Jackson

I think the Government should set budget cuts on other wasteful things like cigaret taxes, not things that matter like education.

March 14, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  4. Patricia

I am no longer a student having graduated in 1959. During my school years, students were required to be in school and school age students, when seen on the streets during school hours, were picked up by truant officers and taken to school with parents being notified. I realize the cost of such a system today would be prohibitive, but the end results would be well worth the investment.
    Also, we are making a huge mistake by "expelling" students for infractions. It is a solution popular with youngsters, giving them a "get out of school free" card. Instead, those students should be required not only to stay in school, but to perform tasks as "punishment" for behavior problems. Keep them after school, as we were and notify parents and in extreme cases, notify parents employers. Let's get parents back to being responsible for the education and behavior of their children.

March 14, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  5. Patricia

Stop expelling students for behavior/performance problems. We are giving kids a "get out of school free" card. Instead, keep them after school and require them to do tasks while notifying their parents. If parents fail to attend parent/teacher sessions, either send a school representative to their home, or fine them or levy a tax for parental failure. Let's get the parents back to being responsible for their children's education and behavior.

March 14, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  6. Joel

The primary goal of any school district is to educate its students. This is obviously done through the efforts of the teachers. Yet, most of the cuts happen at the instructional level. Teachers and their students are the ones feeling the brunt of these cuts. Cuts need to start at the district administrative level. There are superintendents and several assistant superintendents making well over six figures a year. Their secretaries have secretaries (this is true in our district)! Here is a thought: have the district offices go to a 4-day work week and cut their salaries to reflect their shortened contract.

March 14, 2010 at 9:19 am |
  7. Eric

As America is going through this journey to find solutions to the growing economical problem I believe we should cut fancy supplies like a projector. Even though their useful they can't help the economy with spending costs.

March 14, 2010 at 9:55 am |
  8. Ryan

Paper is really expensive for schools. I see paper used to print lecture outlines, flyers regarding events and such that appear in the daily bulletin, and other unnecessary purposes. Cutting back on wasteful paper usage can save money in the long run.

March 14, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  9. Frank

Currently there is a donation to presidential campaigns check-off box on IRS tax forms. How much money would be raised by eliminating that (taxpayers can not compete with donations made by the rich and large corporations anyway!) and instituting a "Support Public Education" donation check-off on the IRS tax form?
    The money collected could then be placed in a grant fund and school districts could apply for funding through the grant process.(I'll be happy to chair the grant selection committee!)
    There is nothing more important to American culture than public education. Lets give taxpayers the opportunity, each year, to support public education.

March 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  10. Nemo

The schools should make holidays longer. Or probably hold a bake sale. Then again these are some tough times.

March 14, 2010 at 3:55 pm |
  11. Elise

If kids are the future of America, why should their education be put second to fixing the economy? Let's face it- the economy won't be fixed for years, so we need to prepare our future workers for that.

March 14, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  12. chloe

no the recesion hasn't effect my school but its happening all around me.

March 14, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  13. Zach

Ok so I saw on CNN this morning that someone had said that eliminating the amount of monies put into sports would cut costs on the school level and ultimately solve the school's money troubles. I completely disagree, because first of all most school sports are funded by the school's athletic department not money from the state to be used for education. At my school the visible effects of the recession are seen in teacher cuts. We lost 3 teachers this year and many have received lower pay. [One school] actually froze all teachers' salaries, therefore teachers did not get raises like normal. In order to solve this problem, we must show our state governments how teachers are underpayed as it is and further salary cutting would be horrid. So, I have proposed to a school club that I am president of to have a large fundraiser for the teachers. Though, I don't know if the administration would go for this...As students we understand how important teachers are to our futures, so why not help them out. I think that all students should try to organize some fundraiser to appreciate the work of our teachers. Hold a school dance with all proceeds going to the teachers, have a car wash, or organize a student-faculty basketball game and hopefully the government will change their twisted mentality.

March 14, 2010 at 9:10 pm |
  14. Brandel

Every students dream is to cut textbooks and homework... but I would encourage students to save energy, like having some lights on and not all, hibernate computers instead of leaving them on, and having kids bring in textbooks and taking them home so we do not have to buy so many.

March 14, 2010 at 9:27 pm |
  15. Leilani

What America needs is to raise our education, we shouldn't lower our days just because of our economy! My dad just told me that we are ranked number 15 in the world. I'm a junior..., and i've noticed many students either having the lack of education or lack of their attention span. We shouldn't decrease the education. Instead we should try and stop spending taxes on useless supplies that we believe we need. I mean without education those things wouldn't even be around. Students in America already have dropping test scores, because the lack of wanting to go to school. If you make schools four days then less and less students will want to go to school. Make donations to education, not to the useless things. Think America! Think!

March 15, 2010 at 12:04 am |
  16. Dakota

I think that states should not cut things that help children learn. Some kids, such as myself, excell in music or sports. I would be dissapointed if these things get cut. However we are in a recession and we don't know what's coming next.

March 15, 2010 at 1:06 am |
  17. Judy

I think that you should not cut school DAYS, but after school programs.
    Most of the children are old enough to look after themselves, and for the others, well they COULD have baby sitters, right?
    Well then, after school programs aren't needed!
    And if it isn't to take care of children who's parents are busy, then it's academic programs.
    Are personal hobbys more important then LEARNING?
    I don't think so! I strongly recommend cutting after school programs.

March 15, 2010 at 4:08 am |
  18. Destiny

Start school later in the day to save electricity so that you don't have to spend money on the bills.

March 15, 2010 at 8:03 am |
  19. Justin

Mabey the schools could use energy efficient stuff like solar panels and go green!

March 15, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  20. John

one idea is to charge more for lunch about 5 or 10 cents more

March 15, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  21. Mark

The cost of education is large in some cases but it is a vital need for us to educate our countries future. Some things we can do is cut back on things we don't need that much

March 15, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  22. cameron

i am a junior in high school. class room sizes are around 25-30 sometimes 40 kids in one class. the teacher cuts last year hurt us big time. less teachers equal bigger class room sizes. the larger the size the less time a teacher has to work with students. there ARE teachers who are doing everything they can to help students learn the material. they stay till 5 at night working with the students. they give up lunch or planning to work with students. they do what they can. now with the government coming in and firing at least half of the teachers and staff we are drowning. the teachers are not the problem. its what goes on at home. some parents make sure they kid does their homework and some parents could care less. then for some kids school is a safe place. fighting parents and not a good home life will affect how a kid does in school. at school they can escape.

but with recession now hitting schools even some of the brightest are struggling. i am in AP (Advance Placement) classes and guess how much money is in our account. $0. we have nothing. we cant get the books and supplies we need. and most people dont want to support taxes on school because their kids are already out. why should they pay for someones education and they dont even know them? because one day we will be your doctor. we will be your dentist. we will be your banker. for me i WILL BE a writer. we need love and care even if you think we are just teenagers. we need help.

is anyone there? is there anyone who cares about us? is anyone out there?? anyone??

March 15, 2010 at 10:09 am |
  23. Alex

I think that the should cut down hours of school and still make it a 4 day school so that the economy can get better or we can all wait and sit down for the government to fix the problem, that will take a another election for a new president. That will end up leaving the U.S the same way and we could end up in an other GREAT DEPRESSION!

March 15, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  24. eliana

i think that people should spend less on less useful things and more on more useful things

March 15, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  25. Jake

I think we should stop wasting money just to waste money.When I was a kid and I got money the first thing I saw i would want to buy. But now i learned that you should save money and dont just spend it on junk that you probully wont play with or that you will brake.

March 15, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  26. Michaela

The schools can start selling candy bars to make more money. My school does it and the students love it. It really is a hit.

March 15, 2010 at 10:47 am |
  27. joey

4 day school week and for a lot less time so we can cut back spending costs

March 15, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  28. will

instead of 4 day weekdays i think we should have a half a day on friday =)

March 15, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  29. dale

why not have kids take a test on which they dis like then fire that teacher and get rid of that class

March 15, 2010 at 11:24 am |
  30. will

theres only A teams at my school

March 15, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  31. Haley

Our school has terrible food. I have to pack my lunch and bring it everyday to the cafeteria. If our school would get better food, many more students would buy school lunch. They could up the prices on lunch just a little to make up for the prices of the good, and slightly more expensive, food. This may sound like the money comes out even but the school will get more money to buy more school supplies.

March 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  32. Robert

I know in my town the schools cut to a four day week. Almost 3 years ago and the fourth day is more of a makeup day for students that have not been able to attend during the four days. But that has brought up the rate of success in the area and has worked well for me and i attend to make sure i keep up.

March 15, 2010 at 1:04 pm |
  33. Jenna

Education is at the far top of America's list, not sports or clubs. If some of these events were cut back a little, schools might be able to save up some money to use towards better usages.

March 15, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  34. Ian

We've already had a bank bailout and now the government needs to start providing for the future workers of the United States starting with better education conditions.

March 15, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  35. Ian

I wouldn't cut anything from the schools but rather bailout them out.

March 15, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
  36. Kendra

schools should start later in the days because theres more light in the day and you wouldnt need as much lighting as u would in the morning .

March 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  37. Amara

my school says their going green, but I still see the same lightbulbs that harm our planet (and our electricity bill) and they don't seem to spend wisely. if schools were more more respondsible and maybe even greener(is that a word?) then naybe recession wouldn't affect schools as much

March 15, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  38. Brandon

I think that a four day school week is a bad idea so I don't have to stay at school longer, but I think fundraisers are a great idea.

March 15, 2010 at 2:58 pm |
  39. Nick

4 Day Weeks. It would benifit the school's budget, and give the students AND teachers more liesure time, or more time for work.

March 15, 2010 at 4:18 pm |
  40. Zack

Our school could have a huge fundraiser. By selling baked goods such as cakes, pastries, cookies, caramel apples, and lemon squares. Then we could use the money for our energy and our food payments. Or we could have the students bring there own lunches instead of buying the lunches at school.

March 15, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  41. Jeana

our school could go green and or doing fundraisers.

March 15, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  42. Cole

my school isn't really talking about this problem so i don't really have to worry about it but if this did start to happen it would be something to talk about

March 15, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  43. Alyssa

School Districts should make sure that the buses are good, because they spend tons of money repairing old buses. Instead of repairing they could save money to buy some new buses. Or Schools could have more activities that students could pay for, so they could have more money.
    Or they could cut back on having the lights on when they arent using them.

March 15, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  44. Chandler

Our school doesn't have field trips. We just walk around to places. This could help, cuz gas is killin' us, smalls. Or we could make school payed. (lower grades=more pay?)

March 15, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  45. Ian

i think the four day school week is a great idea but we still need to go to school to learn about important subjects. also i don't think we need electives because those are pretty much just for fun so i think we can have only 5 periods instead of six. but we could still have electives but have the school day last longer something like two hours to make up for the lost day.

March 15, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  46. Dayne

I think a four day school would be bad for kids mental, emotional, physical learning. It will not do very good on us..we cant learn as much as we need too. unless we get more hours added into the week.

March 15, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  47. Calvin

I think that the school district should have 4 day weeks Monday to Thursday so the school doesn't have to get as much gas for buses or as much food for students yay:)

March 15, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
  48. Abbie

Well, think that the government should make fixin' education issues their first priority and worry 'bout health care and all that junk later, but if the government thinks that education ain't all that important then this country is in more trouble then I first thought.

March 15, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
  49. Michaela

I think that schools should only cut back on superflous things, and maybe ask the teachers for a small paycut. That way, the extra paycut money will all add up to help!

March 15, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  50. Alexa

My school is recycling, whether we had a problem or not we always recycle. We don't have a big problem with our school but i still love having fundraisers and other activities to help my school. I think that a four day school week is a bad idea because then you don't get a full year of school, you get a quarter of that. Of course the kids will love it because less school for them, and less homework.
    We should use less electricity, and the Florissant light bulbs, it uses less energy and it's good for the environment. I think if everyone helped with turning the lights off, volenteering for funrasiers, and recycling are earth will be cleaner and we will have more money for our schools.

March 15, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  51. Xavier

Have they ever heard of the words Box tops? There only worth ten cents but if everybody pitches in they could really make a lot of money.

March 15, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  52. Andrew

I think if we just did some simple fundraisers like bakesales, school carnivals, and $1 to wear a hat day can bring just enough money to the school to get them by.

March 15, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  53. Andrew

With paper being expensive as it is these days, schools with computers (school or home) could do their work on those and for assignments that need to be turned in, turn them in by e-mail or save them into a "share" folder.

March 15, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  54. Avery

I am a military kid, so the government pays for most of our school stuff. Sometimes, though, we need the money to hire coaches and referees for sports, and that kind of money can get a little scarce. I would suggest a fundraiser dance, because people in our day and age always love those!

March 15, 2010 at 6:51 pm |
  55. Louis

School districts should have parent meetings to see if there any sports or other extracurricular activities that can be taken out for at least a year.

March 15, 2010 at 7:28 pm |
  56. Justin

I don't think four day school weeks should be necessary. I just think that teachers should plan mor activities without the lights on. If it was a science teacher, they could have a little battery powered planetarium showing the constellations, all with the lights turned off. Another option could be having some kind of fundraiser. THEY SHOULD NOT CUT OUT THE BAND PROGRAMS!!!. Statistics have shown that kids will get better test scores if they are involved in music in some way.

March 15, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  57. Jenna

Well we can't go on many field trips and we also get more vacations time. We can still have school even if we don't go on field trips. They are just extra activities.

March 15, 2010 at 7:56 pm |
  58. carranza

In my opinion the government should pass a law that helps schools out in getting better teachers and supply's instead of wasting it on war.

March 15, 2010 at 8:11 pm |
  59. Zach

How about cutting back on all the extra food at lunch, We have a lot of extras like Ice Cream, Chips, and extra drinks. It could sure save some money

March 15, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  60. Elizabeth

Honestly there are so many different ways that schools can cut costs to help with the economy. I think that four day school weeks would be benefitial but I also believe that if school went longer on the shortened week. unfortunatly I don't think that it will happen over night and people need to be patient. as the way over used statement says "rome wasn't built in a day"

March 15, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
  61. Devin

I think that we should go to historical places to see stuff like the jefferson davison monument in kentucky.That will be a lot of fun.

March 16, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  62. Gavin

Many things can be done to help keep school programs. Besides going to a four day week schools not take as many field trips to cut the costs of bus fair. If schools went to a four day week a lot of parents would have to find care for their kids on that extra day they have off. Parents would either have to pay for daycare or stay home that extra day and not get that extra day of pay. If parents pay for daycare and the family is already in a bad income flow, paying for daycare won't help.

March 16, 2010 at 9:22 am |
  63. angel

i think that kids should be able to bring the same sex to their prom because i will sew if we wsasnt able to. because that is basiclly not letting us show our prefrence.

March 16, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  64. somer

i think they should just keep it the way it is, even if money is scarce, kids still need an education.

March 16, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
  65. Kyle

I think that people should have a right to go to a prom with the same sex. It's like they aint gonna do any thing wrong. All they gonna do is dance. It shoyld not be a lawsuit...

March 16, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  66. Audrey

I think that four day school weeks should be absolutely out of the question. Research has shown that kids can't pay full attention for more than ten minutes at a time. One hour classes are already stretching that a lot. I already have enough trouble balancing my school schedule with my sports, friends and family. Adding more time to classes would not help at all. It would just stress kids out more. I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm stressed out about everything, it makes me less focused on learning.

March 16, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  67. Cole

I think that 4 day weeks are the way to go because it would give the school a chance to save money, while at the same time, it would give them a chance so they wouldn't have to fire any staff members. I also think that because it would make the school days longer, I don't know when students who play sports would find ways to do their homework.

March 16, 2010 at 7:06 pm |
  68. Kylie

I believe at this point we can't waste money, so with the money we do have we ONLY buy necessities!!! Like we don't buy school supplies because students can go out and buy their own, we don't need to buy too many upgrade things. And you know I think we should slowly earn money and keep up and buy laptops! With laptops we can sit in class do our work and the money used on paper, pencils, and the cost of ink for the copiers will all be saved! Sure it'll be expensive at first but it will pay off later!... Slowly at a time you make like a bank acount and save some money and buy enough for one class at a time... I believe this might actually save us some money! And It also saves trees!!! Eco friendly!!!

March 16, 2010 at 7:56 pm |
  69. mike

i think a lot of schools have stuff that they don't need and can get rid of

March 17, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  70. Rachel

I think that it is perfect the way things are. Even though it might be a tight money budget, kids are still getting the education they need.

March 17, 2010 at 9:19 am |
  71. Spencer

It's not fair that only students have have higher than an F get to go. The students have probably worked hard all year, and gotten good grades in the last semester. The principal is wrong to have done that. I go to a middle school...and kids are free to go even if they have bad grades.

March 17, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  72. thomas

well mebey its because of the stemules plan that we are not get what this ecomey needs.and also that if obama did not waste money for things every thing in schools and out would go well.

March 17, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  73. Tommy

We have all this new technology, so we don't use textbooks anymore. It's usually on a powerpoint or online. I think we should get rid of most of the technology. That way the school could save more money. Plus I think we learned more with the textbook anyway.

March 17, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
  74. cynthia

i think that we need to help the schools out

March 18, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  75. Sarah

Some ideas that I have to help schools succeed when money is scarce is to have things such as school car washes, silent auctions, or a bake sale. If we had things like these, then the students and staff could get involved in making the school better. Kids will get involved if you just ask them to and give them something to enjoy about it. Chances are that the kids will have fun and they will also help the school have more money to pay for things like sports or band.
    The way you could benefit from a car wash or a bake sale is to have a battle of the grades or the genders. Have them compete against each other and see who can raise the most money. The team that raises the most will win a prize. With a silent auction, add some artwork that students have made. If the students are involved in this, then their parents and grandparents and maybe even other relatives will come and they will buy the artwork that their family members have made. Most of the grandparents love their kids so much, you can probably get $100 for a painting of the sun.

March 18, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  76. Nate

I have a couple of ideas to make schools succeed. First, if the kids in a school miss days for snow, don’t make them make it up. It will cost extra for the power to run the building. It will also cost you for the heating and air conditioning.
    Second, I would try not to use the AC and the heat so much. To heat and cool our school it must cost a fortune. Lastly, instead of using the most expensive resources use some cheaper stuff that doesn’t lack the quality of the more expensive stuff. I think these ideas would really help our schools.

March 18, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  77. Maddie

Some ideas that I have to help schools succeed when money is scarce are to have them make the school day shorter. This way, classes will be shorter therefore lowering the amount of money they have to spend each day. The day could be shortened about an hour or thirty minutes. Overall, at the end of the week the school days will be shortened five hours or two hours and thirty minutes.
    The reason I chose shortening the day other than the four-day week idea is because this way students still go to school everyday. Although this would force teachers to teach their lessons a bit faster, it would still save money. Students should still have a fair amount of time to get through their lessons. They will probably even enjoy getting out of school early

March 18, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  78. HOPE

There are a lot of ideas about how to save money for our schools but here are some my ideas. I believe that we have a lot of excess stuff that is not needed for our education. For example, we use a lot of technology that could be costing us a lot of money. We could cut back on how much we use laptops, Promethean boards, and video cameras.
    We could also stop having a snack line at lunch. The snack line provides extra food that is not needed. Not having a snack line can also help the factor of kids being obese. I believe that any idea from a student or an adult is valid. Fundraisers are a great idea and can really help the schools economy. Money is scarce but with everybody’ s help we can survive this economy… TOGETHER!!!

March 18, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  79. Larissa

maybe we can set the libary up for after school reading. who doesn't like a good book?

March 18, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  80. fajamarah

i think they should do something that humiliates teachers like charging like five dollars to watch teachers play a football or basketball game i would pay big money to see that

March 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  81. Clarissa

Honestly, I believe that public schools should be only focused on education. Cut sport, club, and fine arts funding and ease up on the fundraising regulations. Maybe we'd save some money then. Also...the thing about giving students laptops, if they refuse to read a textbook, or even bring it to school, what makes you think they'll actually use the laptop for school work? No, freshman, sophmores, juniors, and even some seniors aren't responisble enough. Cut administrator's pay maybe. Seriously, do you know how much your prinicpal makes?

March 19, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
  82. josie

i think that it is not fair(to the student(s)who have fs) becuase you know its got to be embarrassing becuase other student who have all a's could be making fun of the other students( you rock carl(:)

March 20, 2010 at 1:59 am |
  83. Quinton

I think that we should raise taxes on the rich to support all schools. There are enough demacrats in the senate and house to pass such a law. In the long term, I think we should put solar panels on the schools to make the schools profitable.

March 20, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  84. Cassie

Solving this issue is being made more complicated than it really is. They need to cut field trips and assemblies. High-tech, fancy computers should not be a priority. The educated adults of today got along just fine without fancy computers when they were kids; why do we need them? Schools need to cancel the extras and keep what is necessary. This is how they will save money.

March 21, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
  85. wesley

If I where principal in a school that was having money problems the first thing I would do would be to look up and file for any government grants that where possible to get. If that was not enough to keep my school going I would most likely look into starting my school on a 4 day week. I would also put most of the electronics in my school on timers so they would go off after a awhile to save electricity.

March 22, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  86. Melissa

A creative solution to me would be to consolidate small schools that are struggling to hold it together, into other larger schools that can afford more people. This would save money on the maintenance of the smaller schools and increase the government money given to the larger schools. There would be more students, which would give the school more attendance money to make the improvements that they need. Today schools are trying to make ends meet without outside help, when they could be working together to consolidate their losses.

March 22, 2010 at 9:47 am |
  87. Cody

I think that our school spends alot on sport activities. Such as gas to take a bus to the games and stuff. I play a sport, and i would ok with having a couple of the guys drive to the game and then just share rides and switch on and off you drives.It would save the school alot of money. Also, i think that we should cut classes that we dont need. The ones that are not necessary for us to have.The four day school week would also save a lot of money, by cutting down the expense of elefctric and gas money for transportation, and food.

March 22, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  88. Adam

my solution is very simple. cut back on unneeded expenses like field trips. schools are now set up to allow the student to get ready for college. why do students need to go to college. what we need is to learn traits that can teach us trades for after school like plumbing and HVAC.

March 22, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  89. Megan

I would start 4 day school weeks. Money from electricity, transportation, and food would be saved. Also, I would have student athletes and band members fundraise for new uniforms instead of having the school pay for them. I think going on field trips is important, but kids should pay a few bucks to cover gas and the driver.

March 22, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  90. Lindsey

I definatley think 4-day school weeks are a good idea. It would save time and money for all. Another thing schools could do would be to not give as much homework to save paper, and have fundraisers for prom and other school needs.

March 22, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  91. Rachel

Fundraisers and cutting school down to four days a week would help. I think they could also cut back on some things we don't need that bad. Like field trips that have no point to them. They will probably have to raise prices on some things too.

March 22, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  92. Bethany

I believe that 4 day weeks would be effective as long as we extend the day. It would cut costs on electricity and food, etc. However, they should continue to allow free public transportation because without it, some students would have no way to get to their scholl to obtain an education.

March 22, 2010 at 10:06 am |
  93. Nate

You can't change anything about it!!!!!!!!! You must still pay all teachers, use electricity, buy school items if you don't

March 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
  94. Deja

Easily even though I am a sports person we should cut sports starting from the highest to the lowest sheeeesh we need to get on this. Let the children speak we know what's going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 22, 2010 at 7:45 pm |
  95. Nishant

we should cut down on stuff like technology and electricity. We have to start sharing the equipment that is given to each class and not have any textbooks taken home (kids can have an online textbooks that is already on the internet). Also we should have the students to buy what ever is neccesary such as shirts for sports and PE, workbooks, and locks, but not things like textbooks, they are pretty expensive.

March 23, 2010 at 1:29 am |
  96. Shelby

I disagree with "Judy"s opinion about cutting after school programs. Can you imagine not having music, art, or sports in your life?...I can't. Personal "hobbies" are just as important. And they shouldn't be called "personal hobbies" when some of them turn into life careers. If I had to make the choice between never making a career out of my writing or singing so i could stay in school or not going to school or graduating, I would stick with my passions. Oops, sorry, my "personal hobbies". I forgot they're not important.

March 23, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  97. Raea

I think this is a mistake. Maybe we do need health care but what about our national debt were is that going to put us. If the government people keep making decision that will effect this generation later on we could head for socialism and how can we become a better country if our leaders of right now are not setting an example for us now later on.

March 23, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  98. T-Dawg

i think its a mistake because its going to cost everyone a lot of money

March 24, 2010 at 1:05 pm |
  99. angered

one solution for this problem is to just tough it out. ration the money that you have so that each program in the school gets the money they need.

March 24, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  100. detron

it almost put 9 of our teacher out of jobs. what a chage

March 25, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  101. Jillian

Well there is always funding schools for good grades or school of distinction. Schools and staff would put more effort into teaching the students what they need to know and absorb it. Then schools would benefit greatly. Also in the long run we would be a smarter wealthier country.

March 25, 2010 at 2:11 pm |
  102. hannah

my teacher said itts afecting our whole district

March 25, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  103. MInalee

Once again, just put on your big boy pants, America, because we are in this for the long run. We just need to do whats right for each school because if we do one thing for everyone, it won't work for some and will be great for others, like a test. Some people need it verbally and some need it on paper. That is why the goverment doesnt run each school, the school boards do.

March 25, 2010 at 9:48 pm |
  104. Marney

EVERYTHING, whether impossible or completly do-able, has a solution, They just need to find one for this problem. P. Obama has found his Health Care solution, we can find our school solution.

March 25, 2010 at 9:54 pm |
  105. Geoffrey

A good idea for school districts is to consider reducing heating systems and cutting down on excess light usage. Especially at our school, we have heat blasting in several classrooms and the lights are always on.

March 25, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  106. Aditya

This is a great way to show the student's ability's inside than outside. Even though the student may seem really smart and talented in the outside, there might be something that he/she has something in the inside. Getting to know the inside and outside of a person is extremely important.

March 25, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  107. Leanne

I think that four days weeks are a great idea because it will gives kids a little bit of a break from what they are trying to focus on and it will help them relax a little better if they can have an extra day off. It will give them more time to do their homework, more time to relax and maybe they would get better grades.

March 31, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  108. austin

i want a better grade and i want to get a high school doploma

April 9, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
  109. pat

i think its a good idea because we have never really explored mars

April 20, 2010 at 8:53 am |
  110. Helen

Well, girls go get your cute swimsuits and guys grab your trunks. IT'S CARWASHING TIME BABY!!! 🙂

April 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  111. Angie

I agree with the four day thing it's gonna save alot of money your wasting less light, energy etc.

May 14, 2010 at 11:15 am |
  112. John

I Think that my school should got to four day school week we should get off friday. Monday – Thursday we need to go to school for eight hours instead of letting go of some teachers. We Should do that instead of letting go of Mrs. Arands. So Mrs. Jones don't have to take over her classess.

May 18, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  113. LaNia

i think that if the schools higher actuallty good teachers students would be fine. if more teachers that teach good go there the school would probably would be better.

October 29, 2010 at 1:49 pm |