February 9th, 2010

What Is Art (and What's It Worth)?

The most expensive piece of art EVER SOLD AT AN AUCTION is a bronze, stick-figure-like statue you can see by clicking right here.  It went for $104.3 million - the price of a lavish estate, a fleet of private jets, your very own Caribbean island chain...

What's even more interesting is that the sculpture wasn't expected to fetch that much money; in fact, $104.3 million was almost three times the price that Sotheby's expected to get for it.  It begs the questions:  What do you think is art?  And how much would you pay for your favorite piece of artwork?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Dillon

Art is enterntainment, it keeps the human race occupied, and it can come in any form. Art is defined by a persons specific interest, whether it be paintings, nature, music, games, or anything else. Video-blogging is a form of art just as much as drawing with crayons is. Art is priceless, some people may see a painting as trash, others may think its worth 10 grand, it depends on the interests.

February 9, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  2. Carlton

I would never pay a dime for that! It looks like it was made out of tin foil.

February 9, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  3. rhea

many people think the most simplest things are art, but i do not agree. i think this piece of "art" is something i could make in two minutes with some clay. the highest i would pay for that would be lower than 50 cents

February 9, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  4. Judson

This guy must be bonkers i mean i can see he liked it but $104.3 million is alot of money but this brings me to the question where is he going to put it ?

February 9, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  5. Carlos

Art is like taking all your ideas and painting a picture of it. It all depends on how you want it to look like

February 9, 2010 at 6:55 pm |
  6. joe

To people it may look ugly ,but, as people say one mans trash is another mans treasure.

February 9, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  7. Dennis

Art is some way to show mood and expression in a different way of talking. it could be worth $1 or up to millions!

February 9, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  8. christina

i dont know why ths person is selling this thing . it is not very defined as "pretty".

February 9, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  9. Noah

I believe that the toyota company should just make a new type of friendlier solar car . That would help make this world a better place.

February 9, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  10. Corey

Art is a work of beauty. It brings people joy in there life and lets them forget about everything

February 9, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
  11. brianna

I think art is something someone makes frome the heart, so every is a artist because something or someone has inspired them to do it and that's what makes it special!

February 9, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  12. Brian

Art is anything that expresses someone and how they feel. If the artist thinks a bronze stick figure is a good way to express himself, well, let him do it.

February 9, 2010 at 7:39 pm |
  13. Anonymous

thats not funny b/c its not that good of a statue

February 9, 2010 at 7:47 pm |
  14. Nicole

Art is ones ideas in your head put into a suptuler, put on paper, or put onto a canvess. I would never pay more than $7 thousand for my favorite piece of art. I think $104.3 million is crazy to pay for a piece of art.

February 9, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
  15. jack

Well my dad's a sign maker so I realy think that kids should be taken sireisly im art and me I love art as much as the next guy mabey even a little more.

February 9, 2010 at 9:07 pm |
  16. TJ

Art to me is not a tangible item, but is an expression. This expression comes out through an artist in a painting, sculpture, dance, or performance. The value of the art varies with people, but people's values of art and understanding of art vary. Since I do no know much about art, or apreciate art much, I would not pay ver much for this statue. However, billionaire with good tastes would pay over a hundred million for it.

February 9, 2010 at 9:38 pm |
  17. Leilani

Well art is life, it is entertainment, and it is everywhere. Right now art is EVERYWHERE! Depends on how much money I'm willing to pay for it 😛 but on the contrary, i'm sure that if you found that certain something that is a piece of art i'm sure you would spend as much as you can just to have it in arm's reach :3. That is what I believe is art 🙂

February 9, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  18. Anonymous

art is everything. i wouldn't even pay for my favorite piece of art because it is free. my favorite piece of art is the sky, and that's free as long as we keep our enviorment clean. and the defination of art is: the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

February 9, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  19. Natalie

Art is something that is unique and represents something that you can hold to your heart. To me paying more than two thousand dollars for a piece of art is ridiculous. I would understand if it was from a very famous artist like Picasso, but otherwise, I wouldn't waist my money on it.

February 9, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  20. Nikk

I think if you believe it is pretty art than you should buy it. But $104 million is just outrageous!

February 9, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  21. Raphael

For GOD'S SAKE, that piece of crap costs WHAT!!! I mean, yeah, all those unrealistic styles and toilets are now being millions, I understand that. BUT THAT PIECE OF JUNK IS DEFINITELY WHAT I WOULDN'T CALL A, R, T period. I like impressionists, especially Monet and Renoir. Now that's what I define as ART.
    ( Seriously, my two year old brother could sculpt better than THAT 😦 )

February 10, 2010 at 12:26 am |
  22. Raphael

AND REALLY, Both Sotherby's AND the crazy guy who bought this hunk of metal is both guilty of polluting the greatness of ART.

February 10, 2010 at 12:28 am |
  23. Lucy

Art is everything, including me and you and what we are surrounded in, like atoms. They are the every elaborate figure of ourselves. Sometimes art can be created out of our imagination and our general thoughts. I think art is just a wonderful thing. We could feel it, touch it and do everything with it.

February 10, 2010 at 3:37 am |
  24. Anonymous

Art is "ALL", I think...

February 10, 2010 at 3:43 am |
  25. Rickey

i thought art is one of methods to do appeal their feelings, so it can be taked lots of values but.... $104.3 million ?? i didn't pay for buying that. too expensive..;a;

February 10, 2010 at 3:44 am |
  26. Lee

Art is not only entertainment but also a 'LOVE'.
    I guess many couple started their love at the art museum, and so did I ;););)

February 10, 2010 at 3:45 am |
  27. someone

art is donating $104,000,000 cash to some poor people devastated by an earthquake for example. but in our modern times what is called art is just like fart. It's something that most people let it vanish into air; some preserve it who are called artists.

February 10, 2010 at 5:56 am |
  28. Matthew

I would pay around $2000. It is not normal to buy an art piece for over $100 million. There is a special name for those types of people. Addicted.

February 10, 2010 at 7:43 am |
  29. Krystina

Well, art is entertainment which is apart of our lives. Art will form where ever you go. You may not see it but it'll still be there. You are art. We are art. Everyone is art. If it was my FAVORITE piece of art then I would pay as much as the next person bids.

February 10, 2010 at 7:50 am |
  30. Anna

i woldn't even buy that thing!!! all i need to get is some clay sculpt it into a stick figure then to blue paint and splash it on the stick figure!

February 10, 2010 at 8:06 am |
  31. Brittany!

To me art is not a big sculpture that might of taken years to make. Art is the little things. Like making a sock puppet or a banana man made with fruit. Those little things are pricless and thats what we should be selling for $104.3 million dollars.

February 10, 2010 at 8:32 am |
  32. Logan

It shows someone's personality.

February 10, 2010 at 9:37 am |
  33. Christine

Well, art is creativity.In the mordern art,I think ,the creativity is needed when you want to become a celebrity with your picture or statue!For example,Andrew Warhola became very famous because he challenged new technique in the art! Like Pop Art....
    And....I think I can draw picture well...So if I'm stranger and can buy my picture I will pay $5 thousand! Just kidding, I bought the picture for $10.

February 10, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  34. ERIN :}

i love art personally i wouldnt pay that much for that pice of art though but i think art is any thing some one creaated if we think it is or not it may seem like art to them but not me or it may seem like art to me but not them so it all depends what you see art as i would probly pay alot of money for my favorite art piece if it was the real thing not a copy

February 10, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  35. Fernando

My favorite peice of art is splatter art, i would buy it for $70

February 10, 2010 at 10:55 am |
  36. Lauren

This piece of art is really neet, but I would NEVER pay millions of dollars for it. But this art piece of art of really cool!

February 10, 2010 at 10:57 am |
  37. Michael

I think, art is kind of entertainment,which can make people's emotion rich. And it doesn't represent only artwork, or picture, but involves from design of furniture, to even neon light of a bar on the street. If I have "enough" money to buy some pieces of artwork, I will buy much of it by fair means or foul means. But I don't have enough money to spend on my entertainment, so I will spend my money moderately on artwork.

February 10, 2010 at 11:06 am |
  38. diandre

Art is great but sometimes the art work that is being presented doesn't have to be expensive if it looks good. Sometimes good art can be a bad choice to buy.

February 10, 2010 at 11:12 am |
  39. Zanarien

think thats a waste of money that should be saved or spent on a good cause not something that would sooner or later may bore the buyer or rot a way plus that statue only worth about $2.00 at the most come on give me a break

February 10, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  40. Lindsey

Art is mostly the expersion of a person presented by colors, or drawings, or sculpting stuff out of clay. People pay much money for art when:
    a. the art is what that person considers "good."
    b. the art is old and very rare

February 10, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  41. howard

i think i would never spend that much for a sculpture of a man that does not even look that good

February 10, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  42. freddy

if i had the money to buy that i spend it would be 1000 to tell you the truth

February 10, 2010 at 11:42 am |
  43. desiree`

..... for a fact i think that's way to much money for a pice of art work but.... it depends on how valuable the art work can be.If it was me i would only pay $600 because thats way to much money.....

February 10, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  44. Taven

I would pay as much millions to have the Van Gogh painting I like.

February 10, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  45. daijah

I don't see the point in paying so much for something you can make if you try hard enough. That's what I think and feel about this.

February 10, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
  46. hannah

i would pay 10 dollarsfor nthat scolpture its just looks so wierd

February 10, 2010 at 12:30 pm |
  47. alex

i think this is a beutiful sculpture but thats not really what a price of art should costbut if thats the price why not use the money for charity

February 10, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  48. cassie

I think art is a way to let out expression and for my favorite peice of art I would pay $500 (but with my moms money)

February 10, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  49. Jeremy

It depends on the buyer's point of view. To you it might be a piece of trash but to the buyer it might be the most amazing thing his eyes have ever seen.

February 10, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
  50. Tyler

I would buy my favorite piece of art if I had that kind of money but art is still awsone no matter how much $$$$$$$$$ it is

February 10, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
  51. Sasha

That statue was very ugly. But I guess someone liked it so good for them. Art is like feelings. You can splater paint on a board and the whole world will love it. I like to draw and I hope that someday I will become an artist!

February 10, 2010 at 1:00 pm |
  52. Amanda

Art speaks to people in certain ways. If a person sees that as a magnificent art piece, they will pay millions, just like that piece. Honestly, though, I wouldn't pay that much for that piece. It is just weird!!!!!!!

February 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  53. Jenna

I don't think that all art is bad and ugly, but this thing was out of this world. Money should be used for better puposes than that! We've got an ecomomy to rebuild, people who need jobs, and our army at war. We need to manage our finances more wisely and not use it on just a piece of metal.

February 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  54. Jarick

Art geometric shapes on paper with paint or a modle of somthing. $104M is just enough to pay for Michellangelo's David. I don't know what I'd do with that stone cold man.

February 10, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  55. Raquel

I think that if that ugly of art is worth that much then i could sell my brother hahahaha

February 10, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  56. Raquel

I think that i wouldn't go that far just to buy a piece of art

February 10, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  57. Christine

I think art is the freedom of expression and playing a god with colors. If I really loved a piece of art and was really rich then I might buy it. But for $104.3 million that may have been a bit much.

February 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  58. Kevin

Art is someting I take interest in, but there is no way I would pay over one hundred million dollars for a sculpture that looks like an old skeleton. Its just plain ludacris.

February 10, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  59. bigZ

Art is something that someone does well. It isn't nesseccarily something that has to do with art. Baseball can be an art when you see a star pitcher at it's peak, and I'd pay good money to be in the dugout when Tim Lincecum is fluid with everything.

February 10, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  60. shanlen

i think art is a piece of work from the soul and it can be expressed in many differnt ways. and i would pay any amount for my favorite piece.

February 10, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  61. christina

i would pay a good amount. beacause i think any art is worth a fortune,for it expresses your very soul.

February 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  62. Arty

Art is love – Artists make the sculptures or whatsoever by thier heart...
    But this sculpture – ummm yeah looks like 100 billion to me! It's simmilar to the famous sculpture 'Ballerina'!!!

February 10, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  63. yee

i think its ok but somebody shouldnt pay that much for it and i would pay 4.20 for that sculpture

February 10, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  64. Robert

It really all depends on the piece of art. If it's a really good piece, then the more it's worth. Art is also a way of expressing emotion. And different art can express different personalities.

February 10, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  65. kevin

i would not pay that much for art

February 10, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  66. michelle

Art is very special to me. if i had a favorite piece to buy i would pay 1,000 for it.

February 10, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  67. aaron

Art is about imagination, and to do this you must have the patience for it, which is not that hard since a baby can do it, art is everywhere and can be made of anything. Since this is true, i'd pay a good amount and treat art for what it is, and the hard work put into it

February 10, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  68. Maurice

"That is very astonishing, but if you have the money you can pay whatever you want." "I know i would if I did, because once you have a certain amount of money you would never be able to spend it all." " So I would try to help someone out."

February 10, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  69. Venton

I think that if you really want a piece of art, you should spend however much money you need to spend on it. It's really YOUR opinion. For me, I wouldn't spend much money on a piece of art because I am more interesting in other things. But, it's okay to do whatever you think is right for you.

February 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  70. Shannon

Art is what people feel and you can pay as much as you want for something that makes you feel good.

February 10, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  71. Mitchell

Art is whatever you want to see it as, whether it be the Mona Lisa or the big bean in Chicago. I think art is important to every society and I would pay as much as I could for my favorite piece.

February 10, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  72. -micheal

to me i even dont see the resemlance in the statue i won't pay a dime or an nikle

February 10, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  73. Anonymous

...the definition of "art" varies, depending on who you're asking. Is penmanship a form of art? Is calligraphy a form of art? Is literature a form of art? Heck, is speech and language even a form of art?
    I think that art is basically what appeals to you. If you think someone looks pretty, or flows in a rhythmical way, then it's a form of art. By my definition, people would think that different things are art. For example, that statue wasn't the prettiest thing ever, in my opinion. But someone was willing to pay more than a million bucks for it. Maybe it isn't "art" to me, but it sure is to him.
    How much would I pay for my favorite piece of artwork? It depends on the piece. If you considered a good book a piece of artwork, then probably not more than $15. But if the piece of "art" is something functional, that I could use, then I'd probably be willing to pay much, much more. Maybe around $100, even $500.

February 10, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
  74. Amber

The only thing I think is a piece of art would probably be a very skilled painting or something that shows emotion. Certainly not that 104 billion dollar sculpture. If I had money like that I would spend it on a piece with the most fantastic color and emotion put into it. But thats just me.

February 10, 2010 at 7:38 pm |
  75. Claire

I agree with Rachel. i wouldn't pay 50 cents for that sculpture either. I would only if it was made out of something ancient or if it was ancient.

February 10, 2010 at 7:41 pm |
  76. Keith

Carl i saw the art i would NOT pay that much for that, we need to foucs on the ecomy and the soldeirs than ART

February 10, 2010 at 7:46 pm |
  77. philip

i would buy any piece of art at any price so i can sell it in 20 year to sell it for more then what i bought it for.

February 10, 2010 at 7:50 pm |
  78. lorena

i would not buy that junk not worth it

February 10, 2010 at 7:51 pm |
  79. Jaxson

I think peoples art should be reconized by other people as for the pay people shouldn't have to pay a cheaper price.

February 10, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  80. James

I would pay the grand total of $0.00, mainly because I have no money right now, but would pay $50 and sell it at my own auction.

February 10, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  81. James

I will pay 2 trillion dollars! Just to beat that guy who bought it, I am a greedy little kid....

February 10, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  82. jameson

I think art is worth about 1.5 million dollars because I think art is the most lovely think i can think of

February 10, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  83. Damon

all i would pay for a peice of art is twenty bucks because of the simple fact that twenty bucks is my monthly allowance.

February 10, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  84. Quest

I've never really seen good enough art that I would even pay for it. If I was gonna use 104.3 million dollars to buy something it would definitely not be a piece of art

February 10, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  85. Michelle

Art can be anything. It can be a painting your litlle brother/sister drew or it could be a statue a proffesional artist sculpted. Art is a way to express yourself, your feelings and emotions. What I would pay for my favourite piece of artwork is nothing. Art is supposed to be shared with others, not be another way to get rich.

February 10, 2010 at 8:43 pm |
  86. Cindy

Art is a way you could show your feelings deep inside. How much you pay for the artwork is depends on how you feel that artwork influence you. It could be very simple but how you feel about it is more important.

February 10, 2010 at 8:48 pm |
  87. Patrica

I think it's dumb that people would pay that much money on a piece of junk. People should be using that kind of money to help with natural disasters like the earthquake in Haiti. I just don't understand why people can put buying that "art" in front of helping out in Haiti.

February 10, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
  88. Eric

Art is what one may enjoy, if it looks good on your shelf...its art. If I had $104 million, why not buy it. However, it has to be something you'll admire forever to spend that much mula on it.

February 10, 2010 at 9:14 pm |
  89. Jungeun

Art is everything. Everything around us is art. That includes painting, sculptures, and even books. What a person thinks is 'Art' can differ. If I think it's a masterpiece, it's art for me. But if someone thinks it's a piece of junk, it's no more than a piece of junk to them.
    As for how much I would pay – that depends on what I'm buying it. But I won't buy anything more than $30 ... I think.

February 10, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  90. Anna

Well, I think that art is all around us. Everything was made and that makes it art. I probaly wouldnt buy a peice of art more than $50, unless I really liked it.

February 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  91. Leslie

First of all i wouldnt pay that much for any statue, because it is useless, you just stare at it. Print a picture and stare at it! Maybe if it was a twilight sculpture....then i might pay that much.

February 10, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  92. AJ

When i saw what the art and how much it cost it blew me away i thought the person who bought this didnt realize what he or she was buying if i had a choice i would of picked something that is known around the world and not in one place.

February 10, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  93. Josh

People see art in different ways, and this anonymous bidder somehow saw something he liked in that art.

February 11, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  94. zachary

i wouldnt pay a dime for it it's somthing i can make easy and sell it for 20 cents or somthing

February 11, 2010 at 9:14 am |
  95. AG3

I think art is where you have to do a pointalism project where you first draw then you have to dot the rest with markers that is a lot of work. i would not pay much for it though depending on the material it is made of.

February 11, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  96. BUTTERCUp...

...i think tht it is just crazy for someone to pay so much for a painting tht you couldve had someone else try to paint it for cheaper...

February 11, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  97. Genis

Art for me it's a sensibility representation, but this sensibility cant be exaggerate. When the people pay 104 million the art if becomes more important for the financial value of what for the feeling. I would pay what my heart ordered, but without excesses.

February 11, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
  98. 7R1H5B

i think art is some of the thing people enjoy the most.Everywhere you go you will always see a unqiue drawing or painting. In the mall, school, everywhere you will see a drawing or painting.

February 11, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  99. ger

I think art is very important to american history. It helps America tell history and what happen during that period of time. So i think that it might be worth that much.

February 11, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  100. Jenny

I would have to say that art is something that people put their heart into and it shows how they're feeling. I think art is something amazing and expresses the person. I wouldn't pay anything for an art piece because I wouldn't want to take someone elses feelings.... I Prefer keeping my art piece because it is my favorite thing and makes me want to think everyone just because when I do art I feel happy....

February 11, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  101. chen

i think art it important to american history. but i wouldnt pay that much for a piece of art work. I would only pay a grand not millions. But art is a very intresting drawing sometimes.

February 11, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
  102. Rachel

I believe Art is anything. Even a crumpled piece of paper on the ground. Art can be worth as much as it wants. Art is unique in different ways, and art looks what it's worth.

February 11, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  103. Maria

I am extremely surprised that such a piece of art sold for so much, I would not pay a single cent for it. Personally, I think it looks ugly, but that is just my opinion and obviously, whoever bought it saw the beauty in it 🙂

February 11, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  104. Cassidy

Art is in the eye of the beholder. We could paint a circle and at least one person will buy it. People don't believe that others will buy that art, but art can be expressed in many ways. Therefor that art is expressed with a mix of joy and happiness, so i get what they buyer was expressing.

February 11, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  105. Sammy

It's a very unique piece of art, and the artists deserves more than 10 cents. That's why I would pay about the price that the artist is asking, because they know best.

February 12, 2010 at 2:05 am |
  106. Alex

We need to stop obesity and my school Lakewood is not very healthy snacks. We as people need to change the child obesity. Government should stop selling non healthy snacks or foods to schools

February 12, 2010 at 6:45 am |
  107. Bradley

art is what comes from the heart, not what people tell you.whatever enspires you to create. Art is not worth anything, unless your a stingy person.

February 12, 2010 at 11:08 am |
  108. Gabrielle

I would only pay $75 at the most for a painting. But only if I love it. $103.4 million is just the kind of money people don't have in this recession. But I guess when somebody wants something that bad they just got to do what they got to do.

February 12, 2010 at 12:24 pm |
  109. Leslie

Art is all about expression. A lot of times when I draw, my art is how I want to feel, not how I'm feeling. Art is something anyone can do and it makes everyone less stressful. I hate to say it, but even graffiti is art, and it's beautiful,. If I really liked it I'd pay $160 billion dollars. 😀

February 12, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  110. britney

art is something that someone draw's, paints, sculpts, or builds,
    and other people likes what they did.
    art is also a way that someone expresses them-self and expresses their feelings in another way that is not words, so maybe they do something expressing whether their sad- happy- mad- broken hearted- in love. or what they have been through in their life- if they have a baby maybe they draw or paint the child- etc...

February 12, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  111. Brandon

This piece of art isn't the best piece of art in the World. I think I would pay about a few thousand bucks but why would it cost this much, It's not worth that much!

February 13, 2010 at 1:28 am |
  112. Jessie

I personally think that the art piece looks horrible, but whoever bought it must have seen some sort of beauty in it to spend so much money on that sculpture.

February 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm |
  113. Hanne

Art is an expression of truth. Art is the courage to express the truth as one sees it. Art is the beauty of truth. Truth is priceless. Art is priceless.

February 15, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  114. Sabina

I think it's nauseating to watch this kind of outlay for a piece of art when a lots af people could be better with this huge amount of money. I think that this wonderful kinds of peaces of art must stay in the museums where everybody could watch them and no just a little number of persons in their castle!

February 15, 2010 at 1:52 pm |
  115. Bri (:

Art is like expressing your feelings and its like a fortune too you. When you create art you feel like you did a good job and your proud of yourself. Art can let you take your feelings and put them on a piece of paper. No matter what you draw its what you drew and its what you thought of drawing (in a sort of way).

February 15, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  116. Mark

I think art is the expression of our past cultures. Many people can learn many things from art, but that statue does not look like it can teach me anything, but in someways it is still priceless. I would pay 2 Million $ for that

February 16, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  117. David

art is an expression of what you cant show with speach or actions. Art it what you really fell and beleve.

February 16, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  118. Maddie

I think that art is anything that I make and I wouldn't pay anything for it because I can make more. But I would get rich because everyone will want my art.

February 16, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  119. Jimmy

That is way too much money. That person could of donated that money. I wouldn't buy art fo even a fraction of that. Art is a hobby.

February 16, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
  120. Basia

Art has no price, art is priceless. Art is an emotion, art has meaning, it is meant to make you feel something. There is no wrong in art.

February 16, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
  121. nikki

why it isn there sumliment.

February 18, 2010 at 12:23 pm |
  122. Anonymous

i just think ones man trash is another mans treasure!!!

February 18, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  123. Nick

I think that art isn't something that you just buy with cold,hard,cash,I think that art is an expression of yourself that you should share withyour friends,family, and the world.Even though the bronze stick figure like statue is worth something, it's still an extension of the artist's self. Even though art is used for movies like Transformers or The Lord of The Rings, or even used for religious or for showoff, it's still an extension of the artist's characteristics and the artist is saying,"This is who I am on the inside." So, is the bronze figure another item that you can purchase or a prized possession like a family heirloom? Your choice.

February 19, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  124. sarah

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people are willing to go way overboard in my perspective just to get what they want. Art is different; art isn't something that you want, it becomes an obsession, a collection of sorts. Especially for the modern buyer, finding just what you want is getting harder day by day as more genres of art appear.

February 19, 2010 at 8:48 pm |
  125. Justice

That shouldn't have been bought for so much money.I would have bought something that is nicer looking, like some kind of cool painting

February 21, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  126. Grace

The person who bought it could have used it for world good! What were they thinking? The economy is messed up, and they buy a weird statue for $104.3 million? That's stupid.

February 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  127. Kaly

Art is an expression in a painting, drawing, sculpture, etc. in any way. It shows a feeling of how you are feeling when you do it. That painting for 14.3 million dollars was a rip off. I even couldn't aford that. Anyway, it's just a man probably painted in bronze paint. It is just a man with no face or special features walking. The most I would spend on a really great painting that I would love would be 2 thousand dollars, not a million or over.

February 22, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  128. Sophie

I think art is any type of design or color someone makes. Everone has some artistic talent in them. I would pay $100 for my favorite piece of artwork.

February 22, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  129. Em

I think art is a way to express your feelings in a new way insted of talking about them, i think it is worth something to the person who made it not meaning money it just brings happiness and money wise maybe $100 (it depends what it is)

February 22, 2010 at 9:25 pm |
  130. JoJo

Personally I think that if there is a [valuble] piece of art out there, it should stay in a museum for the whole public to see, so I guess I would not buy any [valuble] art.

February 23, 2010 at 7:02 pm |
  131. Jane

I think that guy went a little over the top, I mean I don't blame him for liking it, but 104.3 million dollars for it is a little over the top.

February 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  132. Meghan

I think the most I'd ever pay for an original piece of art would be 100,000$. Yes art is nice, but there are more important things to buy like food and water and a house and clothes.

February 24, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  133. Olivia

The art shouldn't be that expensive at all. Art is priceless and it comes from the heart. I wouldn't sell my art piece for money. I would cherish it and always think of what i did was a good memory and had a fun time

February 24, 2010 at 9:35 am |
  134. megan

To me i think that art is cool and that u sould have lots of art and stuff on u walls for nice looks and stuff. I wouldn't pay to much for art but i would give some . Some people out there will pay millions not me though . Art is really kool though.

February 24, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  135. Maddy

Art is a piece of your heart! When really good art is created it touches your heart and you feel a sort of relaxation. It can be worth anything! Most art is bought and stowed away for many years so how much it is worth goes up! As we have seen in recent highlights some art goes up to 3 million dollars. I think it is all to personal taste if you like a piece of art others may not but that doesn't mean it isn't good!

February 24, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  136. Emily

Well i think art is a way of expressing yourself . Art can take you to a different world sometimes. You can be as creative as you want to be with art.

February 24, 2010 at 9:40 am |
  137. Toni

The is bis-are! I like Art, but that is way too much money to pay for a piece of Art.

February 24, 2010 at 9:41 am |
  138. Blake

how much i would pay for a piece of art would be like 50$ because to me i dont care about art that much.

February 24, 2010 at 9:42 am |
  139. Maria

I think art is what comes from the heart. It is made with love in each stroke of paint and passion in each picture. I don't know how much i would pay for it though.

February 24, 2010 at 9:44 am |
  140. Nathan

I think art is a bunch of cool paintings and sculptures. I am not really sure how much I would pay for my favorite art piece. It would depend on how much I want it and how good it is.

February 24, 2010 at 9:44 am |
  141. Aaron

Art can be anything you can find or make. You could find something in a junkyard and it would be art. It is just luck if you can find someone who will bye it from you.

February 24, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  142. Mariah

To me, art is something that makes millions of people happy. It is calming and it is a way to express your feelings. Artists can tell you how they feel just by painting you a picture. Although I love art, i honestly don't know how much i would by a painting or sculpture. It depends on what it is. Maybe someday I will become an artist, remember my name!! 😀

February 24, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  143. Mark

I believe art is a way of self expression.It is entertaining, and fun to do.Sadly,schools are cutting down on extra curricular activities like art.

February 24, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  144. Anonymous

i dont think i would pay 104.3 million dollars for a pice of junk like that

February 24, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  145. Emma

I think that art is a way to express feelings and emotions. Also, everyones opinion on art pieces are different. So, I think that everyones opinion on the prices of art are different because if you like the piece then you will pay more for it. But if you dont like it then you most likely will not want to buy it and think that the price is to much. I personally would not buy any art because I prefer the art that I make because it relates to me and actually has meaning.

February 25, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  146. Kylie

I believe art should be shared but I dont think its worth so much money! Part of that money could be put to better use, if you want to spend so much money give it to people who really need it like Haiti, the poor, or the Human Society, they could really use it toward saving lives and give people or animals the care and things they need!

February 25, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  147. hb

i would nit spend 104.3 million dollars on a life size statue idk who would buy this statue no offence

February 26, 2010 at 12:25 am |
  148. Alice

Art is anything you want it to be, it's how you express yourself, it's how you look at things in life, but it's mostly just you. Your art work is you and you alone, your own work is like a piece of you copied and pasted into the world. Show your art, and show yourself, isn't that how life works?

February 26, 2010 at 10:54 am |
  149. Mark

art is a way for self expression but people paying tons of money which can be put into other useful things (economy) is plain stupid. people are self absorbed in material objects its discusting, i love art and i'm a big fan of poetry and music but i'm not gona pay 104.3 mil for a piece of art that i'm just gona brag about and not actually do anything with. In my math class we worked out a probelm and in order to eliminate our debt each person would have to pay 38,000 roughly, if we just had some of the fortune 500 people donate some money they'll never use it might help a bit or atleast donate some to a charity.

February 26, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  150. Rachel

I think art is something that everyone can do if they just try. I mean, I could make that stick figure and get $100 million for it. I probably wouldn't pay anything for art like that stick figure. I know someone in my class, though, that can create some amazing art work that I would buy immediately. But not that stick figure.

February 26, 2010 at 11:02 am |
  151. Cody

Personally, im not a big art fan. I think that there are many variations in art and it comes in all different ways. I think that paying anywhere close to 100 million dollars is insane. To me, no art is worth even a million dollars. There are so many other things that would be more useful to me than art. I mean, yes, some art is very fascinating and interesting, but this particular piece in my opinion is not worth 104.3 million dollars. Then again, people have different interests so, whatever floats their boat is their own business.

February 26, 2010 at 11:05 am |
  152. Amanda

Art is eternal beauty, it's something some people can't understand. Art can be something in a split second or something that will last forever.

March 2, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  153. mike

i think that anything creative is art. i would pay $4,000,000 for my favorite piece of art.

March 2, 2010 at 12:42 pm |
  154. Jake

Art is something you create and maybe significant and its your creativity nobody can tell you how to be creative except

March 3, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
  155. Gabby

Art is the a form of entertainment that allows people to express themselves and their cultures freely. I think art can be worth that much because it takes skill and creativity to make something like that. I find that this peice is gorgeous and deserves that money. I am a young artist myslef and i know that I wouldnt be able to come up with anything close to that.

March 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  156. Tucker

I don't think that art piece is worth it because it is just a dumb piece of paper. It's not worth it . You're waisting all of your money on that! Anyways, you barely look at it.

March 3, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  157. Kaylee

I think art is a piece of work that is proven as beauty and shows faith. I woul pay no more then 500 dollars! ~GO ART! ~ 😀

March 3, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
  158. Lindsay

Art is something made from your heart. But that peice of art is not worth what it costs. Its pretty stupid because the United States is in a 3.4 trillion debt and people are buying a peice of tin foil for 104.3 million dollars! Maybe they should make some donations to the government instead of a peice of metal.

March 4, 2010 at 11:54 am |
  159. Melissa

I do not think this is something that should be invested into 104 million dollars. When the United States is suffering from the recession, people are spending money like that, which could be going to a much greater cause. If I had that much money, I would put it towards a charity if I could. There are many things that could be improved with that kind of money. I know people are fond of art, but what will the person do with this statue other than store it and think about all the money that was spent on it.

March 5, 2010 at 10:50 am |
  160. Bethany

I think art is always different for different people. I know there are some pictures that I absolutely love while others would never even dream of even considering buying. I was not a fan of the multi-million dollar work of art and I would never pay even close to a million or even half that much to obtain only one item.

March 5, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  161. John

Art is something that you create using your hands or pen and paper. on pen and paper you can draw almost anything. you can also use paint too. You can also do sculpture too. the sculpture in the picture is something that i would not put in my house. it look lik dry mud sculpted into something. No painting should be over a 800 dollars.

March 5, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  162. Jillian

Wow I had no idea that something that lacked any kind of beauty whatsoever could be worth so much. I wouldn't even want that in my house. It looks like a Tim Burten character! I wish that "artist" would make a sculpture and donate the earnings from it to the United States fix the economy fund!!!

March 5, 2010 at 10:56 am |
  163. Lindsey

The concept of art is different to everyone. I believe art is not just paintings and sculptures, but it is being yourself and doing what you believe is right. To me, that expensive piece of art looked like a stick figure made of mud, but obviously to someone it was the best thing ever. I probably would not spend very much on a painting or sculpture unless i was like in love with it.

March 5, 2010 at 10:56 am |
  164. wesley

I think that art is something that anybody can do. And if somebody wants to pay you for it then that’s just a plus. Some people have artistic ability and some people have bad taste I think the people that are willing to buy ugly art are just the people with bad taste its there money not mine so it does not bother me ether way.

March 5, 2010 at 10:56 am |
  165. Megan

I think beauty lies in the eye of the beholder on this one. I would never buy that sculpture; I guess my ideas of beauty are completely different from the buyer. To me, it just looks like the artist didn't really care about what he was doing. People see art differently though and what I think is stunning, someone else might think is hideous. The price for these works do seem a bit extreme, especially considering the current economy.

March 5, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  166. Cory

Art is simply having the ability to take an idea and make it appealing, it expresses feelings, it has a meaning. Art is what adds color to this world. Now $143 million of course is a heck of alot of money for a sculpture, and i think it is crazy for anyone to pay that much for anything. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

March 5, 2010 at 9:08 pm |
  167. Luka

Art is a beatiful object that someone has created to bring a smile on Someone's face, it's a priceless treasure and everyone knows you can't put a price on a smile. 🙂

March 7, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  168. Noor

Art is a form of self expression. Art is not necessarily only paintings and drawings; music and even words can be art, too. Art is very important because it give people a way to express their feelings through color, words, and sounds. Art is life and beauty.

March 7, 2010 at 8:43 pm |
  169. Kaili

I really dont find any type of art "interesting". Anyone can get a piece of paper and pencil and draw something. People get recognized for there way of drawing something and there talent, when really there just throwing stuff on paper and calling it art.

March 8, 2010 at 11:58 am |
  170. David

I think art is anything you want it to be. I wouldn't pay that much for my favorite piece of art.

March 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
  171. Talley

I come from a very artistic family, and art is important to all of us. But I wouldn't pay $104.8 million for a peice. Personaly, I'd rather by a Caribbean Island. 🙂

March 8, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  172. griffin

I dont really care that much for art ti sometimes looks okay if its in the right spot but i would never spend $104million on a peace of art.

March 8, 2010 at 12:13 pm |
  173. Eliza

I think that art in in the eye of the beholder and anyone can create art but fot it to be art, you have to believe it is art. I would pay a lot for a piece of artwork that i liked.

March 8, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  174. Mausam

Art is an awesome way of expressing yourself. You shouldn't have to put a price tag on expressing yourself. Basically, it's too good for that.

March 8, 2010 at 12:56 pm |
  175. Garett

Art can be lots of stuff for example it can be entertainment. Some people who draw, play or compose music, and sculpt usually put emotion to it. Art can be something to do when you are sad or are bored. Art is lots of stuff.

March 8, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
  176. Nikita

it's awesome that peoplecan make alot of money with art

March 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  177. dustin

It lets people express themselfs equaly and is worth the world to them.

March 8, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  178. jude

i think that art is really important because it lets people express their emotions in a safe and friendly way.

March 8, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  179. Beth

Art is a great way to express yourself and be free. But 104.3 million is a little too much money for me...

March 8, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  180. hunter

proms are cool and fun dont ruin them

March 16, 2010 at 11:43 am |