November 30th, 2009

Outside Looking In

If you’re into sports, like me, you know that the use of instant replay technology can make a huge impact on the outcome of a game.  In the case of a recent soccer playoff, the lack of instant replay potentially cost Ireland’s national team a trip to the 2010 World Cup.  Their opponent, France, was able to score the winning goal when French striker Thierry Henry admittedly touched the ball illegally with his hand.  As a result of the goal, Ireland failed to qualify for a trip to South Africa.

Henry believes it’s the referee’s responsibility to make that call.  Ireland believes they deserve another shot.  The team was denied a request for the game to be played over.  But now, they are asking FIFA to include them as the 33rd team in the 32-team field.

What do you think?  Is referee error part of the game?  Or do the Irish deserve a spot in the World Cup?

Jeremy Dunn, CNNSN Producer

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. matthew

I dont think it is a good idea at all because physical fitness is not what school is about at all. School is about learning to do something for a career.

November 30, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  2. Alexia

irish definitely deserve a spot, if he admitted to an illegal touch they should have won. I say take the French out and put the Irish in. No need to add a 33rd team.

November 30, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  3. Conor

Referee mistakes have always been part of the game and make it interesting. The same thing could have happened to France.

November 30, 2009 at 9:38 pm |
  4. Dalton

I think that the Irish should stay out. Even if they had wanted to argue it, and even with his admitting statement, they couldn't be sure of whether it actually happened. I think the Irish should stay out, and just do better to not get in that situation next year.

November 30, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  5. Brandon

I think it is the referees job to make the calls and what they say goes you can't change what the think happened.

December 1, 2009 at 1:33 am |
  6. James

I understand that mistakes are part of the game (I've learned from playing since age 5). But not only did the head referee miss that call, the linesmen also missed the fact that Henry was offsides before the hand ball happened. If anything, another game should be played between Ireland and France to see who goes through to the final. It is not fair for Ireland to be forced to wait another 4 years until they get another shot at becoming World Champions, all because of a missed call.

December 1, 2009 at 1:45 am |
  7. Emily

Rules are rules. France broke the rules, so I think they should rematch. I won't stand it if Ireland stayed out and France won, all because of an unfair match.

December 1, 2009 at 5:21 am |
  8. Kimi

The happening was so unfair for Ireland national team. Everybody knows Henry did touch the ball.
    However, the World Cup is competitions between 32 national teams. So I don't think Ireland can be given a spot exeptionally.

December 1, 2009 at 7:38 am |
  9. Brianna

I think that the Irish should have a chance at the game. The rules are that you can't touch the ball with your hands. They should have a rematch or just pick the game up from where the French touched the ball to score the goal. Everyone should have a shot and if that shot was used to cheat like the French, then the Irish should have a shot.

December 1, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  10. Sinclair

Since Irish lost by an illegal touch that cost them the game, they need a rematch with France. It would be unfair if this situation is unsolved. There was a greater possibility of Irish entering the World Cup.

December 1, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  11. katie

i think that they should let the irish play in the world series. if it was such a big deal than they should have sais somthing at the game instead of later on.how would you fell if someone did this to you? id feel horrible!!!!!

December 1, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  12. Emilie

I think they should just have a tie-breaker to see if they could win once. I think that would be fair. If I was the one that hit it with my hand I would feel really bad and I would want to do it over.

December 1, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  13. duron

I think that irish should get a shot at the world cup.

December 1, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  14. Amy

Yes I believe they should still be in the world cup.

December 1, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  15. SD

i think they should let them

December 1, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  16. tre

i dont think it is was fare he cheated

December 1, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  17. Tyler

I think that Ireland should win because France kind of cheated when one person touched the ball to stop it.

December 1, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  18. Nick

i think that they lost fair for the game and there is not anything they can do about it the french won

December 1, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  19. Joseph

I think that the Irish definetly deserve a spot in the cup. France cheated and since they won France moves and Ireland becomes a 33rd team then the cup needs a 34th team to keep it even.

December 1, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  20. Sam

I think that the ref. did make a bad call but they shouldn't have cheated and now that they know that they cheated they should play another game.

December 1, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  21. Hunter

I think the game should be replayed. If his hand had not touched the ball illegaly, who knows what might have happened? The outcome of the game could have been completely different.

December 1, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  22. kristina

its a game our parents tell us to play for fun so there is always next time get over it ireland!

December 1, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  23. Vanessa

I don't think they need a rematch against the French because the referee missed the call, people do that all the time. But the past is the past and you can't really do anything about it now.

December 1, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  24. Hailey

I think that they should jsut play a rematch to see who can get the next point, because if it was tied and it was one point, just play to see who can get the next point!

December 1, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  25. Jerry

I think that it was a bad call and that Irland and France should have a rematch because in soccor you can't use your hands

December 1, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  26. Justin

I think the irish should be in the world cup the fernch guy cheated and admitted to it so kick the fench and have the irish play

December 1, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  27. darren

they should rematch with no rules so it is fun to watch and who ever get the most goals gets the spot

December 1, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  28. vanessa

I think that the Irish should stop complaining and play by the rules like the rest of the teams and then hopefully next time they will follow the rules and they could have more practice too.

December 1, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  29. nick

the thing is that the guy admited to it and just let Ireland go into it because they won fair and square

December 1, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  30. snoop

I say let them use there hands

December 1, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  31. Nicole

I think that Ireland should be able to have a rematch against France because it was one mistake and there could have been a lot of other bad calls in the game that might have contributed to their position. If Ireland beats France in the rematch then that clearly states that they deserve a spot in the World Cup. I think that everybody deserves a second chance and that they could use a 33rd team in the World Cup.

December 1, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  32. Austin

even though i do not play the sport of soccer like almost every other sport there is some type of vedio efendence for like a buzzer beater in basketball or like a amazing toe touch grab in football to see if he got the winng touch down. so the irish should not be in the tourement if there was vedio efendence there irish would be in but sense there was not they should not be asking for a rematch the ref of the game made a good call if the play was not visable\

December 1, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  33. Cannon

I think the Irish deserve a chance to participate in the World Cup or they should rematch.

December 1, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  34. Frank

The people at the game should decide if the game is legitamate.

December 1, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  35. Jerry

Ireland should have a shot in the world cup because thats just the right thing to do.

December 1, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  36. Fred

There should be a rematch due to human error.

December 1, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  37. Lukas

That is retarted I think refs should be able to replay it on camera during the game. I am 12 and I play a lot of soccer. I have seen this happen alot. They should be able to replay to make it fair.

December 1, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  38. jaxson

i think they should give ireland another chance

December 1, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  39. lee

i dont care because i dont like soccer i like football and i never see soccer games on tv

December 1, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  40. mitch

i think they should of called it because it wasnt fair because they knew they were gonna lose so they cheated just to win but it should of been a tie

December 1, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  41. Emily

The referee shouldn't have made the mistake in the first place. France should not be allowed to go, and Ireland should get to go. I think that's really lame how he even addmitted to the mistake, and their still letting him go. This is why I don't watch soccer.

December 1, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  42. ben

I think that instant replays should be used, because its not fair that the france team get to cheat! I know how unfair it is for someone to cheat and you not be able to do anything about it.

December 1, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  43. Thomas

They should redo the game

December 1, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  44. carlos

if he uses his hands it should be elegal in the game

December 1, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  45. Macie

The Irish might deserve a chance at the Cup, but the French did beat them. FIFA rules do say that all calls are final, and there was no calls on the "touch", even if he admitted to it. It's up to the referee to make the calls and if they don't there's nothing any team can do about it. It's the same in all sports.

December 1, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  46. marrisa

the french know how to play and they know the rules so it was kinda stupid for them to illegally touch the ball and make the goal they should have redone the play.

December 1, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  47. Jacob

i think that the irish should get a chance to try to get into the world soccer cup and win a high ranked in the league and if they don't they just have to deal with it but its not up to me its up to the Ref

December 1, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  48. Devon

I think that if the rules state that all referee calles are final, then the game is fair and France wins. but seeing as Thierry Henry admitted to touching the ball then Ireland should get a shot at the world cup.

December 1, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  49. Amanda

i think they deserve another shot. The referrey could have made an error. There should def. be a replace. Maybe the referrey might even had made a mistake. But they should have another try in the series.

December 1, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  50. Marissa

I think that they should still go on to the world cup. The referee error was definantly part of the game ( in my own opinion), but they always make mistakes. If they don't get into the world cup this time, then maybe they'll get a chance next time.

December 1, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  51. Jade

I think that referee error is part of the game, but this game was a big deal. They should have a rematch so it would be fair. Or just put Ireland in there too with France. I dont think it was fair that one quick call should keep a team from staying in the world cup when they deserve it.

December 1, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  52. Chasity

I think that Irish should deserve a spot in the World Cup, because France admitted to having a player illegally touch the ball. France should be out of the World Cup and Ireland should be put in. Yes, referees have a major say in the game, but if the player admitted to it, the referee should just agree and give the game to Ireland.

December 1, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  53. Angela

I believe Ireland should have a shot in the World Cup. It was the referees fault for not calling the mistake. Ireland deserves a shot at the title. It is no fair that there is no play backs. We were all taught to play fairly. They should replay the game to settle all the nonsense.

December 1, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  54. Christian

Its like in any sport that is played. There is always a referee that calls the rules or fouls in the game. Every referee makes a mistake in a game. I think Ireland should be allowed to be in the FIFA World Cup. A rematch wouldn't be a good idea because its not going to help anything. Ireland should keep on fighting this mess and maybe get there shot at the FIFA title.

December 1, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  55. Warren

Ireland should be aloud to play in the world cup and france should be disqualified for cheating. If FIFA doesn't punish teams for cheating they're going to think they can get away with anything over time and soccer won't be fair.

December 1, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  56. Selena

I believe that it is not apart of the game. I think Irish should be able to go to the world cup they should as least have a chance. They are he only ones who hasn't had a chance at it. Well they should have a re-match to see who should really be in the world cup.

December 1, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  57. Lisa

I think that the Irish deserve a spot in the World Cup. The referee made that horrible call on the Irish's part. The Irish should be the ones going to the World Cup. One of Frances players made a illegal move and they still won because of that move, it is not right that the referee's error caused the Irish to lose this important game. The Irish should be the ones going to South Africa.

December 1, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  58. eizel

I think that Ireland should get a chance because they've never played in the field in Africa. Also, because Henry had touched the ball illegally.

December 1, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  59. Alexia

I thimk that if France illegally touched the ball then they need to be disqualifeid from the tournament because they might just cheat then too. We cant afford loser by cheaters.

December 1, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  60. james

I personally think that ireland deserves a chance next year as a 33rd team. it is not fair if they don't because thats basically like chance cheated and the ref didn't see it if they had instant replay then ireland would have won.

December 1, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  61. Jeanna

Referee error is part of the game. Referees cant see everything that happens at all times. If they replay a lot of other games they will probably see a lot of other errors the refs had made, and that could probably effect something.

I also say that if the France dude admits that he had a hand ball, then the Irish should be the 32nd team and France should be out of it, for waiting that long to admit what happened.

Go Irish!

December 1, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  62. Erica

I play soccer at my high school. Trust me referee's make bad calls all the time it's just part of the game. You just have to get over it, and live with what happens. They can always try next year.

December 1, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  63. Nick

I think that Ireland should be ablke to try again seeing as Henry admitted to touching the ball with his hands.

Go Ireland!!!

December 1, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  64. Victoria

Well I didn't make the rules for soccer nor do I know all the rules but I don't think it's fair what they're doing to Ireland. If people witnessed it then they should get a second chance. They should have a re-match, because they have never gotten a chance at the world cup and it was against the rules.

December 1, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  65. shelby

irish should get a spot in the world cup i think that french and the irish shoul play one more time i dont think it was the referre was doing somthing bad he was just doing his job.

December 1, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  66. Richard

I feel that Ireland should definitely be placed on the 33rd spot. i say this because everyone agrees that it was a handball and it is clearly unfair to have Ireland eliminated. To resolve this problem, I think there should be a rematch. If not, Ireland should have a 33rd spot. It was the referee's mistake, not Ireland.

December 1, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  67. Ashlynn

I think that they should have a re-match to determine the 32nd team. Soccer should allowed to have instant replays, because like in this case, they are not always able to see everything that happens. This could happen at any time, not just in this case. The other team admitted to illegally touching the ball, which was a nice thing to do, so they should not be able to qualify. They should have a fair re-match.

December 1, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  68. monica

This happens all the time in soccer. Referees miss a lot and it might not always be fair. Maybe the Irish do deserve to be in the world cup should, but you really need to think was there anything ireland did that the referees didn't call?

December 1, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  69. Summer

I think they should deffinetly have rematch! I played soccer when I was little and the excatly the same thing happened. it's completly unfair!!!

December 1, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  70. Sophia

the irish should still deserve a spot. i'm serious. it's not fair to the irish

December 1, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  71. Michael

I think Ireland should have a rematch because it SHOULD be the referee's call.

December 1, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  72. Ryan

I used to play soccer and this happens a lot. Even in sports such as football, basketball, and baseball. Its just part of the game so Ireland shouldn't get a spot

December 1, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  73. austyn

I think that there should be reviews to make the game fair that way if something did not happen the referees will be sure that that is what had happened in the game and all the referees should consult after calling it.

December 1, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  74. Alex

I think that France should still be in the World Cup because there are no instant replays in soccer. The referee did not see him touch the ball with his hands. If the referee did not see what happend then you just keep on playing. Even though Henry admitted that he touched the ball France should still be in the World Cup. But maybe FIFA is going to let Ireland be the 33rd team.

December 1, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  75. sarah

I think that Ireland should go to the soccer game because they never won a prize like that before.

December 1, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  76. bigz

I think that there should be a rematch. IF you lose to an error, just play it over again

December 1, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  77. Dreyiss

i think that they ned to have a rematch because that's not fair how France stole their win

December 1, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  78. richard

i think that is not far and they should be able to play them or get that point back

December 1, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  79. Maurice

Well rules are rules to me, if they can do something about it then change it. If not then there is no sense in crying about it.

December 1, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  80. kevin...

yea i think they should just play

December 1, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  81. jason

Thats just part of the game they just need to take the loss obviously people know about what happened and nothing is going to change what happened.

December 1, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  82. mathew

I think that is bull that someone grab a soccer ball and set it up in the end of the game. so oh!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 1, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  83. Emma

i think its not fair to ireland but they do need to respect the referee, the referees are actually on the feild while the game is going on so you should go by what the referee says plus maybe if ireland wants to win next year they need to do a little bit better.

December 1, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  84. no ones girl

thats not rite. if he touched the ball with his hands then they should have called him on it thats not rite!!!!!

December 1, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  85. Gonzalo

i think they should let the game be like it is no rematch or anything because if you pay real close attention to a game you can see pushing and fake dives sometimes even hand balls with out being called. this wasn't the first hand ball i have seen in a game i have seen messi and maradona make a goal with there hand and still get away with it .

December 1, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  86. Bryn

I think that the Ireland team should be able to go to south Africa because the other team broke the rules! Also FIFA should really get some instant replay cameras

December 1, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  87. Alexandria

Ireland should have a rematch against France again to determine who won so there is no more misconception. This happens a lot in soccer. Referees miss a lot and sometimes people disagree with the referee. Whenever this happens there should be a rematch. Ireland should have a chance to prove that they are able to move on.

December 1, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  88. Elizabeth

I think Ireland should be back in the game. If the referees arent quick enough to catch mistakes, that shouldnt be the end of the game. I dont think its fair.

December 1, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  89. stephanie

I think ireland should not go to the world cup because they lost because they used there hands. It would not be fair to go when you did not follow the rules

December 1, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  90. David

I think the irirsh team doe not desere to compete in the World cup
    i also think the should not play soccer no more because they made a terrible mistake. Thanks.

December 1, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  91. Matthew

they should play by the rules so they are out

December 1, 2009 at 7:15 pm |
  92. yudith

Well i think that its just a sport and if the ref says Ireland lost then they lost. And there is always another chance next year. I play soccer to and if you play any sport you need to know how to win and lose.

December 1, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  93. Dalton

I don't play soccer but I know you cannot use your hands unless you are throwing it back on the field. Using you hands should be an automatic penalty. If it is the world cup, and if they know that France used their hands when they are not allowed, then I think Ireland should get another shot.

December 1, 2009 at 7:18 pm |
  94. victoria

I think that Ireland should go to the World Cup. The French knew using their hands was illegal but they did it any way.

December 1, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  95. victoria

The Irish definitely deserve to go to the World Cup or at least get a rematch. The French did touch the ball with their hands which is against the rules.

December 1, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  96. Matthew

I think that Ireland should get another shot. The referees calls are part of the game.

December 1, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  97. Shane

I think they should accept the loss and try again next season. If they wanted to win they should have tried 110%.

December 1, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  98. Jacob

I think the referees sohuld have been paying attention to the game. If they didn't catch the cheating, they shouldn't have that job. The only reason the referees wouldn't have called their call is if they were from France. What I'm trying to say is the Irish deserve a spot in the top 32.

December 1, 2009 at 8:16 pm |
  99. Leila

I think that Ireland should get another chance. It isn't logical that they don't have anyway of seeing what happened. The referee made a mistake and Ireland should get another chance at the win to become 33rd team, besides everyone seems to know that France had used their hands illegally, even the France player himself. This is the world cup people....... its important. So it's important that every thing done is done fairly and legally.

December 1, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  100. shannon

I, myself am Irish and i went to the pub to watch the important match. I am a big football fanatic and i think terry henry should be suspended. If the Irish team tried there HARDEST to be out by a hand ball that is absurd. If the game continued the way it did then Ireland could have won in a penalty shootout. The reson Ireland lost even though Ireland and France tied was because in the qualifiers for the tournement countries have to play 2 games. one game from where each team is from. Since Ireland lost in Ireland at croke park and tied in France ( because the hand ball that was 18 minutes into extra time) we were out because aggregets. If Ireland tied 2-2 then they would have gone through because they would have got 2 goals away from home. and france would have got one because they won 1-0 in Ireland.

December 1, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  101. shannon

Irealnd could have gone through but terry henry , the guy who did the hand ball, ruined those chances. I think that he intended to do that so france should face consequences. If FIFA did decide to take action, they should
    > Let Ireland replace france in the visit to south africa
    > Have a penalty shootout
    > Have a re-match
    FIFA is thinking about adding the replay cameras and i think they should if the desision could affect the game. I am irish and i think FIFA (Federation Internatational Football Assosiation) should take action!

December 1, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  102. Tyler

I am a socce ref my self and it is hard to see everything that is going on on the field.But rules are rules and the rules of soccer say that you can't touch the ball in play unless you are the keeper. So i think that that goal shou definatly not of counted.

December 1, 2009 at 8:58 pm |
  103. JACK

I think that  if France illegally touched the ball then it is not fair to Ireland that France got to the world cup by cheating. Therefore they should either rematch or let Ireland into the world cup. I'm serious.

December 1, 2009 at 9:13 pm |
  104. Jake

I think that Ireland should've had a free kick and Ireland and France should both go to Africa. FIFA should allow refs to see the replay like the NFL.

December 1, 2009 at 9:40 pm |
  105. Jake

I think that Ireland should have free kick and Ireland and Franch should both go to Africa. FIFA should let refs see the replays like in the NFL.

December 1, 2009 at 9:45 pm |
  106. William

a rule is a rule. you wouldn't let someone get away with stealing would you?

December 1, 2009 at 9:59 pm |
  107. katie

I think the fact that Frances' team touched the ball with their hands should automatically disqualify them for the World Cup. Ireland has never won a World Cup, they should be given a chance.

December 1, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  108. Ann

I think Ireland should at least get another shot at beating France or just be allowed to go.

December 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  109. Jonathan

It's clear Henry used his hand, however if Ireland had capitalized on earlier chances there would have been no overtime, and thus no hand ball. The referees made an error, but you can't put all the blame on them.

December 1, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  110. Brittany

We're able to see replays on American football. So, why can't there be replays for the world's football?

December 1, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  111. Chris

I think Ireland deserves to go to Africa, and France will stay. FIFA should allow the refs to see the replays. Things have to change through time.

December 2, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  112. sarah

i think that the should be it because they illgal used their hands so the other team should be out and them in.

December 2, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  113. Kyle

Referees make mistakes all the time and what the referee says goes. But I think they should add an instant replay camera like in the NFL

December 2, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  114. Lauren

I think that France should have a free kick because, just like in a youth soccer if there is a hand ball the other team gets to have a free kick from where they did a hand ball at.

December 2, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  115. Sydney

They should be aloud another shot because the refferee is the one to call the fouls and that is not what has happened. I think a rematch shall be held and that who ever wins should recieve the 32nd spot in the world cup.

December 2, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  116. Anna

I think the Irish deserve a spot in the World Cup, because they worked hard, and it was the refferee's fult that he didn't call it.

December 2, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  117. Devin

The ref made a bad call it happens.

December 2, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  118. Rebecca

I think that the Irish should be able to have a chance to get the world cup because they have never gotten it before so i think that it would be only fair. There is no need for the French to win again because they have won sevrel times before. But, that is my opinion.

December 2, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  119. regis

This is a hard decision but I think they should go with the offical rules of soccer and not let Ireland go and let the officails call stay as it is........

December 2, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  120. Giannni

The Ireland soccer team deserves another shot at making it to the world cup the should rightfully be there and I think that FIFA should add instant replay so it can be used in the 2010 world cup and in other soccer games

December 2, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  121. nikita

I think that the Irish should have there spot in the 2010 world cup.

December 2, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  122. Alexandra

I think that Ireland should still get to go to South Africa and the past is the past and referees make mistakes all the time and you just need to let it go!

December 2, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  123. Rebekah

I think that they should do a rmatch nto make it fare. Because the other team cheated

December 2, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  124. Kaili

Referee error happens plenty of times in all sports. But that doesnt make it part of the game. France should have just told the truth if they did touch the ball, but no one can force them to do so.

December 2, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  125. David

I think that they should not be allowed in the World Cup, because in other sports like baseball, football, hockey, or basketball, there are mistakes that don't get changed. It is a part of the game, and they should deal with it.

December 2, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  126. alexa

i dont like the physical thing at all because school is not about fitness its about learning

December 2, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  127. Kristian

I think that they should not get placed for 33rd. But get another chance if the instant replay showed that the player used his hands to score the goal.

December 2, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  128. Talley

I trhink the ball would have ben in the same place if it was moved by the player's foot. Ireland deserves to be in the world cup.

December 2, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  129. Simon

The bad call should deffinetly be called for a penalty and a red card. If there is a referee in football and other sports yet they still have instant replay, then soccer probably needs it more.

December 2, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  130. Adam

At least a rematch, if not Irish going in and French coming out. It's just fair

December 2, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  131. Summer

I have no idea what soccer is about, but I think that the referre made a bad choice. It was ilegal and there shouyld be something in the rules about ilegal plays, right? If not...they should change the rules.

December 2, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  132. thomas

i think that ireland should be allowed to play in the world cup because france cheated and cheating is wrong.

December 2, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  133. mia

i think its unfair what they did to ireland. they should get another shot, maybe they should take france out for the illegal play and give ireland their spot. thats the best idea and its only fair!

December 2, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  134. ;lulu

I think it is the referres fault because he should have called it instead. And I think that they should let them go to the world cup

December 2, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  135. marcus

I think Ireland sould be in the 23 teams because he did touch the ball with his hands therefor France should be penalized there are rules that everybody needs to follow.

December 2, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  136. Anonymous

i think both wayss....

December 2, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  137. ronnette

I agree they should get another chance but they should have not cheated i think they already learned there lesson of being ashamed they need to go to South Africa

December 2, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  138. kayla

i think that they should stop talking about what happened and just have a rematch allready.

December 2, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  139. Eliza

I think that the irish deserve another chance. The only reason why France won is beaceuse of a bad ref call, now is that really a satisfying victory? They should have a rematch and then see who takes a spot in the World Cup.

December 2, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  140. Mausam

I think that they should deserve a spot for the cup because France didn't win it fairly and that they should have a rematch. The refs should have at least looked through that and then decided.

December 2, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  141. christina

I think that Irsh definitly deserves a spot because the soccer rules say that whatever the ref says is final.

December 2, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  142. Noah

I dont think that it is fair that ffrace will move on with out winning fair. I think that they should statr the game from before frace had scored that way both teams have the fair chance

December 2, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  143. meghan!

just give them anither shot if everyone is arguing about it just try it again. i mean its not that big of a deal,if the other team was reallly all that goood then they would win again, so give themn another chance

December 2, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  144. sydney!!

sometimes reffs make bad calls its just how things happen. many people make mistakes. like what happened in the soccer game between france and ireland. one of the teams players used his hands and he wasnt a golie he got charged for it as the ref called it. but not all of the refs aggreed with the call.

December 2, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  145. Kelly

first of all the referee should not want any one team to win or it would be unfair.

December 2, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  146. beast500

I think that the irish should either get another chance or just go to the world cup and they should make a instant replay box for soccer because my opinon reffs are dumb

December 2, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  147. Anonymous

i think that they should include ireland as the 33rd team.
    Ireland should be back in the game. If the referees arent quick enough to catch mistakes, I dont think its fair that because,of the referee ireland doesnt get a chance.

December 2, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  148. randy

i think that they should because then it would be an illegaly game ,the game should be fair. so they should redo the game for an equal rematch and no one would be mad.

December 2, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  149. cole

I think we should have sports.

December 2, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  150. Alex

I hate soccer anyway it is what it is

December 2, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  151. chardonay

i think that ireland should have a nother free kick so they can both go to africa. the refs should do replays

December 2, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  152. Taylor

I think the game should be called off ; no winners at all, and the teams should play again. Not eachother though.

December 2, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  153. Dustin

Ireland whould get another chance and get a instant replay equipment.

December 2, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  154. ian

nope that stinks for ireland.

December 2, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  155. NICK NICK

The teams should play again because that was not a good call by the referee and it was not fair for the other team so they should pklay agai

December 2, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  156. meme

i dont completly dissagree with this because kids should have a good body but bfor that reason they can pass that is crazy kids dont go to school to get juged on how they look and nhow much they weigh they get judged on what they learn. but that is also not a bad idea because that would incourage kids to loose weight.

December 2, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  157. luigi

i think ireland should get another shot at the world cup because its not there fault the referee made a mistake

December 2, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  158. Jessica

I think that the Irish should be able to go to the world cup. If the French admitted that they touched the ball illegally, then they should not be able to go to the 2010 cup.

December 2, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  159. Beth

I play soccer, and I get really mad when the refferee makes a bad call, or doesn't make one at all. Since it is a professional league I think that there should at least be a rematch of the two teams so Ireland has a fair chance.

December 2, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  160. noah

i think they bshould of let them in and take the other team out

December 2, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  161. Conner

REMATCH! rules are rules.

December 2, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  162. Bradley

I think that this was not right that the other team cheated like that that is not fair im sorry but its not.

December 2, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  163. jakob

With the instant replay machines they can tell if the play was valid (correct) or invalid (incorrect) it makes big changes in football games and in other games.

December 2, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  164. hank

The ref missed the call. Theiry Henry admmited to the handball. The Irish will not have a spot in the cup. They can't play the match over because the fatiuge of the players. Maybe Ireland deserves a spot but they lost the game. If they play the match over it won't be right. France must have had better conditioning and it is not their fault that the ref missed the call.

December 2, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  165. shaun

The player touched the ball with his hand, you know? So Ireland deserves a chance to go on. they can not call a call back so sadly France can go on and thats what FIFA is going to rule. This has already been a big year in soccer for Irealand this is the first year we have had our legue in FIFA game. Soccer is not the only big sport we have galing football, rugby, hurling and others

GO IRELAND!!!

December 2, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  166. Jedd

i think sports are really important.

December 2, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  167. Sarah

I'm usualy very sympathetic to these kinds of issues, but those are the rules, you can't change them. I'm sure that Ireland is sad about this and how much they deserve this second chance. You see though, they lost, no matter how much they beg to have a re-match, they shouldn't get one. It's not a matter a life and death here. It was just a bad call for the ref. Plus, France will now live with that guilt and Ireland WILL get them next year.

December 2, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  168. Knox

We think they should play again to determine the real winner.

December 3, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  169. Rebekah

Well in my opinion I think that it is a very wise choice to make. Parents are responsible for their kids, but then agian the kids need to more responsibale with their actions. We need to say, do I want to be lazy and not go to school because we do not feel like it, or do we want to go to school even if we do not want to and get a good education so when you get out you can get a good job and say, I am glad I went to school so I can enjoy my life. So i think that what the judge is doing is great!

December 3, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  170. Stel

I belive that the Irish should get a rematch because its not fair to win by cheating. It can make the opposing team mad and it canmakes you feel guilty for cheating.

December 3, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  171. CAitIE

i think that ireland should get another chance if any of you know the rules to soccer one of the most inportant rules are do not touch the ball with your hands unless it is a throw in or you are a keeper i dont even think there was a ref their because if the ref was paying attention this propley would not have happend . it was one of the most imporant games of the season serouisley that was the game to decide witch team goes to the world cup if france is even going i think that ireland should go to because thay played by the rules thay were suposed to be playing by.

December 3, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  172. Trevor

I think that even if replays are not allowed to be used by FIFA rules, in this case, it should be taken into consideration as France did make an illegal shot.

December 3, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  173. Louis

Truth is truth. Replays are worth taking into account.

December 3, 2009 at 9:18 pm |
  174. MAtt

they should be able to get a remach

December 3, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  175. MAtt

soccershould get instint replay and they wouldent have this problam again

December 3, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  176. jacob

i think that they should not count as a goal because he used his right.
    so i think it should penalty shootout..............................

December 3, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  177. miya

i play soccer and when the ref calls the play its final. they could just try next year.SORRY

December 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  178. Deva

I think that if they said that it was an illegal hand ball then no doubt it should be rethought. I woulden't just let it fly. The two teams should have a rematch, in the rematch they should be very careful about calling illegal plays right then.

December 5, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  179. katie

I think that to only make it fair the teams should have a rematch, it was the referres fault.Ireland deserves a second chance.

December 6, 2009 at 9:06 pm |
  180. Katie

I don't think it is fair that we are putting new tropes in Afghanistan if we are just going to be pulling them out in a few years.

December 7, 2009 at 12:06 am |
  181. Hannah

It is not fair. It is the referres fault. The two teams should have a rematch and the end result would show which is the better team.

December 8, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  182. todd

i play soccer and i cant believe that the reff didn't see that i think that they should replay the game but in the rules it says you can not play it again i think that the other team should move on. its the reff"s fault

December 9, 2009 at 9:57 pm |