November 23rd, 2009

Lincoln's Course Controversy

At Pennsylvania's Lincoln University, freshmen are given a test for fitness and body mass index (BMI).  If a student's body mass is over 30, he or she is required to take a "Fitness Walking/Conditioning" class before graduation.

The arguments for and against the rule are pretty clear right away, with supporters saying it helps improve students' health and opponents saying it discriminates or doesn't focus on learning.

You seemed to have pretty mixed feelings (and GREAT comments) about the last health story we featured, so we're looking forward to hearing where you stand on this one.

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback
  1. Connie

I personally think that all students should be required to take this class. It is not fair to make only certain people take it. Just because someone may have a lower BMI, does not mean they are healthier than others. And just because someone has a higher BMI does not mean they are unhealthy or need to be more fit. Many people have a hard time when it comes to weight and this does not help their self esteem at all. It could be really awkward and embarrassing for some people.

November 23, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  2. Bryant

okay, yes, this does help college students stay in shape, but this is really discrimiratory, you can't let someone not graduate just because of their weight, it's really ridiculous and shouldn't be done, I mean just because a person is overweight, you have no right to tell them they can't walk at graduation, if you were in college for four years and worked hard, you deserve to walk no matter what without this "new" requirement; I can't believe that a school would actually do this, I mean, I am no where near over weight, but if I went to this school, I would question the school as to why they must do this, what are they accomplishing?

November 23, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Mason

It is a good idea to help overweight teens, but it doesn't focus on learning. I dont think it should be manditory, those students with a BMI over 30 should choose if they want to take the class.

November 24, 2009 at 1:22 am |
  4. Professor in Kentucky

I am embarrassed that now Americans cannot be ask to exercise because it is counterproductive with learning. Pardon the expression of one of my former professors, but that is simply belligerent.

Okay, for all who oppose exercise in the name of education look at like this; imagine gaining self-esteem, which produces a better and healthier personal regiment-from implementing new eating habits to becoming more organized and competitive in the classroom.

Unfortunately, a healthy lifestyle and a healthy and productive collegiate life go hand in glove. Furthermore, being a professor I have witnessed that when students are actively engaged in sports, athletes, yoga, etc. they perform better in the classroom, miss class less often, and have better attentive skills.

Do Americans really need another excuse to not be healthy or not exercise, when our nation is currently fighting for healthcare due to obesity and other poverty related illnesses?

November 24, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  5. thad

i think that having a school tell you that you have a bmi that is potentially harmfull is a good thing. I would like it if my school told me that i needed to exercise.

November 24, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  6. miranda

Without fat people, football has no linemen. We are becoming Nazi's.

November 24, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  7. Jessica

I think it's nice that they wan the students to be healthy, but this isn't there job, and the students came there to learn so that's what they should do

November 24, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  8. Hannah

For me, I personally think that the person should if they want or not, not because of a rule. The government should change it.. but maybe decide a bit before changing it. Everyone's body is not the same and as long as their life is not in danger or anything, its okay to be curvier then others. Its does help students with health but it wont change that much...

November 24, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  9. Lauren

It's a good idea to try to get people healthy, but there is one problem. The problem is that if you wait till you're a senior you might not have any time to take the class and you should probably start training when you're a freshman.

November 24, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  10. dakota

that ist fair there for school

November 24, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  11. Chirag

I think it is a great idea.
    I say so because people are getting overweight big time so we need to do something for this.
    Every school in the world should have this.

November 24, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  12. Cyra

They should leave it to the students to decide. The Fitness walking/conditioning class is going to destract the students the thought was good though.

November 24, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  13. sam

i think that it is dumb that they have to be a certain weight they should be able to be what ever weight they want to be.

November 24, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  14. kristina

they sould have a choice to do it so they can be healthy

November 24, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  15. brandon

i think it is good to have students to take the class because it keeps them fit and in a healthy life style and it will teach them to stay that way throughout their lives

November 24, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  16. Tyler

I think that it is a great idea to do that test. They are getting some fitness doing it and it will help him / her in the longrun.

November 24, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  17. Bryan

.I believe this is a great idea for schools to enforce. America is among the most obese countries in the world and its time for a change. I definitely believe this is a great idea and people should be happy that colleges are giving them a chance to chage their lifestyles and health for the better

November 24, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  18. Eric

I believe this isnt so much of an issue that needs to be discussed. The fact that they are somewhat forcing people to go about a fitness test is indeed discrimination. How are they to force people to be fit. i understand that we need to lower the obesity rate and whatnot, but it isnt an issue worth being addressed in a higher institution of learning such as a university. The university is for learning and becoming a professional in a certain area of study, not to become fit. i believe i understood the article correctly.

November 24, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  19. edward

i think this article is have no learnig about fitness heath against student, no student from a college don't have the right to do that fitness other student. It's not good test other student for fitness, they are not a doctor.

November 24, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  20. Evan

I think it is a little bit discrimination because what does a fitness test have to do with the learning process. But also we need to keep in mind that some people need this but others refuse to have it. I would go both ways on this one

November 24, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  21. shanika

i mean it's good in a way but some ppl may feel uncomfortable by that and take it the wrong way.. in fact what dose that have to do with getting an education??? PEOPLE BODY'S ARE NOT MENT TO BE THE SAME....so they should have a better reason......

November 24, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  22. Summer

I think the students should have the right to choose how they use their time before they graduate. Exercize is good for them, but they should be able to graduate without passing an exercize class, especially if that's not what they came to collage for.

November 24, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  23. Keith

I do not believe what so ever that this is a neccesary program. This discourages over weight people to stay away and also for people who do not agree to stay away. Over all the people that suffer are the people who are scared to go to this school and end up getting a more mediocre education.

November 24, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  24. Katherine

It is unfair that those people are MADE to take those classes. They went to that colleges to acually learn something. Not slapped around and made to exercise. If they wanted to change then they would do it on their own time.

November 24, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  25. Ulysses

I think that Lincon is doing the right thing lowering peoples BMI because like some schools have a ton of over weight people at school. Will it mess up kids grades? Maybe but we have to take the chance, but know when more people are getting over weight I think that Lincon is doing the right thing!

November 24, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  26. Sierra

I feeel that if done it should be required that every one takes the coarse not just cirtin people. forget about BWI and just have everyone do a work out coarse. it should not matter the BWI level if for a heath thing make it a requirement don't discriminate!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 24, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  27. Lauren

I think that it is a good idea that students that have a BMI over 30 have to take a Fitness class. Not only will it lower obesity, but encourage other students to become healther.

November 24, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  28. Myckala

I think it is a good idea, but it shuld ba a students choice to take a fittness class and it should be a students gole to lower their BMI to 30 or under. But thats just me a school has its rools even if students agree with it or not.

November 24, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  29. Victoria

Ok so I can see that "they" are concernd about our weight and worry about obesity but that DOES NOT give them the right to tell us that we need to go to the gym, we go to school to learn NOT to workout.

November 24, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  30. Katherine

I think thats a very smart idea. People don't care about their health, when they need to. Adding fittness to colage is a good way to stay fit.

November 24, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  31. Lexi

I Think it's its a great idea. Many students who wouldn't normally get fit, are being required to at least try. I think they should only require the class for one year. Then they can take their class of choice for 3 years.

November 24, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  32. Kiku

Although I understand that the students do not have to pass the class to graduate, I still believe that it is taking the focus off of learning, not to mention how humiliating it must be to have your personal information made public. In this country we are supposed to be free to succeed and free to fail. We should keep it that way.

November 24, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  33. Matthew

I think that it is discriminating to those that have to take this class.

November 24, 2009 at 8:24 pm |
  34. Amanda

I think that this class is good. It motivates people to get more active, and they might find a sport or something they really like, which sticks with them... Then, in turn, their BMI drops.

November 24, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  35. Sara

I can understand why people are offended, but I don't think it is harmful, why not be healthier and learn at the same time?

November 24, 2009 at 9:05 pm |
  36. will

It does not matter on there size as long as they can learn it's ok

November 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  37. Isaac

I think this is pointless. If they want to become fit, they have to make decisions on their own! Not pass a course at a college.

November 24, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  38. picklesrawesome

the class should be taken its healthier

November 24, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  39. Taaco

I think it would be a great idea and we should act upon it. More and more people are becoming obese and need to learn about it. People should get up and be active on everything. More and more people in my school are in computers and ag, when they should be exercising. If a college like that can do it. Why cant a small town school, just like *SCMS, do it.

November 25, 2009 at 12:33 am |
  40. Anna

I don't think that's fair. They did come to college to learn and schools in general should not be involved in the health issues of students, especially those who have graduated from high school and have chose to continue their education! They are adults just like any other adults and don't deserve to be lectured about their health.

November 25, 2009 at 1:32 am |
  41. Al

I don't understand why a college would enforce a rule that bluntly discriminates against those who may be slightly heavier than others. If anything this course should be mandatory for all students (to prevent these weight challenged people to fee less different and/or ashamed) or perhaps have it open for these people to use, but not required to graduate. The whole point of going to college is to exercise your mind, not your body. Though exercise is important (along with eating right and getting enough sleep) it is a personal decision and should not be forced on people who have chosen otherwise. Maybe someday they will be more healthy. Until then this illusion of a healthy regime (created through the oppression of the less healthy) can only create a future aversion towards exercise and in all do little for mental or phyisical health.

November 25, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  42. Austin

This is a great idea. I can't believe no one has thought of this before. Lincoln should be commended for their efforts to make America a less obese nation. Great Idea!!!!!!!!!!!

November 25, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  43. A.M.

I think it is a good idea to make students take the class. Lincoln University is forcing some students to do it, but they don't set any requirements for the student to pass, other than them trying to participate. Hopefully this will encourage the students to stay active and be healthy.

November 25, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  44. Janaye

i believe that it shouldnt be a graduation requirment! if anything it should be an optional course for those who want to spend a little more time getting healthier and fitter.

November 25, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  45. Kaeleigh

BMI can be an incorrect test of fitness, like in the case of body builders where they have a higher BMI but it is all muscle. It should test the fat percentage of the body. I can see the other side of the argument, discrimination and no focus on learning, but this course could save lives if it is used correctly. People who are obese have higher risks of getting diseases- such as diabetes-that could kill them. A life seems more important then someone getting they're feelings hurt because they were called overweight.

November 25, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  46. Morgan

I think they should suggest an excercise class, but the students should have a choice so that they can make thier own choices in the future.

November 25, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  47. Jenna

That is rediculous!

November 25, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  48. William

its like a child and his/hers parents you may disagree now but when you look back on that moment you'll see it was only to help you.

November 25, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  49. Hunter

They shouldn't do this. It's basically refusing them something just because they're unactive. Reminds me of that one George Lopez episode.

November 26, 2009 at 12:10 am |
  50. brian

I agree with Lincoln's health course. We can't study without our health. For example, in university like Harvard, almost 50% of students are suffering from health diseases. Good health, good score

November 26, 2009 at 4:23 am |
  51. Scottie

I think thats a good idea to tax sugary drinks. I mean its bad for many kids who are obese and taxing drinks can help them to stop drinking soda and start drinking more water.

November 26, 2009 at 5:11 am |
  52. Carolina

Many people complain that the obesity rates in US are increasing and that no one does anything about it, so if a college is encouraging fitness in people that need it, they shoud serve as an example, because fitness is not only about looks, but also about health.

November 26, 2009 at 7:20 am |
  53. Daniel

I don't know if it's a good idea, because imagine a person has a problem of obesity?
    i think that is better contiue how it was before...

November 26, 2009 at 7:44 am |
  54. thiago

i think is not good because if someone is obese that person will have to work a lot

November 26, 2009 at 7:45 am |
  55. robert

I think it's a waste of time plus it's taking away time from studying

November 26, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  56. fight for obesity

is right but admit schools responsibility

November 26, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  57. Claire

In that they are telling students that if they think that they're overweight they have to work out. They didn't go to college to have to go to the gym instead of getting the edgucation that they went there for.

November 26, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  58. no ones girl

thats really messed up.they didnt go to school for that. they wnt to learn.

November 27, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  59. Emmeline

A BMI over 30? Come on. I am a a fairly tall person (5'5 is pretty dang respectable for a girl my age), slender, and extremely active. My BMI is 30. Are they suggesting that I'm overweight or lethargic? I could understand giving this test to morbidly obese folks, but seriously, it should be for special circumstances only.

November 27, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  60. hayden

i think its good because it lessen the chance of getting h1n1. i would do it if i could

November 28, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  61. Patrice

Gen ed requirements are nothing new. Every student has to deal with them. The only problem I have with this is that it's based on the student's BMI, I think if they're going to make it a requirement to graduate, it should be a universal requirement for all of their students. There's plenty everyone could learn from that sort of course.

November 28, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  62. Gavin

I Think it is good. They will live longer and healthier. They need it.

November 29, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  63. kareema

I think its a good idea, but i disagree that it has to be a required class. If their BMI is over or under 30 they should have a choice whether they want to take it or not. Everyone knows whats best for them and if they want to be healthy go ahead and if they chose that they dont need to be healthy then thats their choice.

November 29, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  64. Emily

I think it should be offered to everyone, not just to specific people. It is unfair and embarassing. It would be healthier for EVERYONE. Yet I don't think it should be a requirement. If it doesn't help you focus on learning then you don't have to do it.

November 29, 2009 at 8:58 pm |
  65. derek

i dont really care about that stuff im skinny

November 30, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  66. SD

i think its dumb they go to school to learn

November 30, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  67. Amy

People shouldn't be forced to take a physicial education class. You take them enough in high school. If you had too much body mass you could easily sign up for the gym. Not every one is able to do physical education. Some people are too top heavy or have health conditions that prevent them from exercising. Heavy people need an a different program other than through the school.

November 30, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  68. Diondre

i think that they should let the kids that have a BMI over 30 and they want to be fit, just let them be FAT!!!

November 30, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  69. matt

I think they should do it cause alot of people in america are very obese and i think we should lower the size of obesety in our country.

November 30, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  70. Deva

I think the students should still take the test, but if they are not healthy weighted they should not be held back to graduate because they still might be ready to graduate just not as healthy. I think that your health in this category does matter, however that is a matter of taking care of yourself in other ways. It should not interfere with school.

November 30, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  71. jmoney

i think thats it is wrong to have fat people do a test before gradution. If their fat thats their promblems not the schools. kids go to learn not to lose weight, that would be called a gym.

November 30, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  72. Marissa

I don't really think it's beneficial. It's kind of discriminatory. Even if they did lose weight, they would probably go back to their old habits. But I also don't think it will do any harm just to participate in the course because they don't even have to lose weight or change their BMI.

November 30, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  73. Ashley

first of all. i do think that this is a good program to get started. however i dont think that only certain students should have to take it expecially to graduate i think that it would be a good program for all kids to take.. but only if you wanted to. they shouldnt HAVE to do it if they dont want if they dont want to take care of themselves and help themselves then no one else should care aobut it enough to make them.school is a place to learn and get ready for your life ahead not to take time out and care about things you didnt care about in the first place.

November 30, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  74. Ethan

This would be a good idea but some people that do not want to participate will revolt. So they should have a choice in whether or not to do it and they should not get punished for not participating. Plus you are not going to school to get healthier they are going there to learn.

November 30, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  75. Genevieve

I think that people should'nt have to take it in order to graduate. Because what if someone is short and muscular and have a BMI over 30 should they have to take the class. Some people can't help teh genetics they got from there parents. Its no tfair to the peole that son't want to do it.

November 30, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  76. Mercedes

Yes this is good for the students but they should not be forced to take this class. Many have there rights with their own body it is what they choose. But this will help them get fit but if many have lost control with their body they wont seem to care in college they will be to busy with work and school not about there weight so i do also think it is a good thing. IN conclusion i think it is a 50/50 it is what the student chooses to do.

November 30, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  77. n.minchk13

I think its a good idea but you shouldnt have to take the class to graduate because you're going to school learn, not to be physically active. If you wanted to be fit and healthy you would have taken p.e. more seriously and taken better care or yourself earlier in life.

November 30, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  78. stud

its a stupid idea i think school is a place to learn n not be told how fat u r....when do u draw the line between adivce n controling of a person lives

November 30, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  79. mathew

I think that it's completely fair because WE NEED PEOPLE IN SHAPE!!!!!!!

November 30, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  80. Todd

Its completely fair. You take your minors, and then your major. Your minors may not be completely relevant to your major, but like the fitness class, its for the good, even if its not as relevant. Do you believe its fair to have a Physical Education teacher obese rather than in shape? I would feel confident if my teacher was in shape rather than obese. GOOO CHARGERS!!!!!!!!

November 30, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  81. Maurice

I think it is a good idea. There are so many people overweight in the U.S and they need the help. So many with diabetes and other conditions but really it's their own responsibility and choice to lose the weight.

November 30, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  82. michelle

i think that it is cool for fat ugly obese people because they dont know when to stop eating and when to exercise. just like me i am healthy and cute and everyone knows that is true.

because i am so beastly

November 30, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  83. emma

i think they shouldn't do that, its not fair for overweight kids at that school. If they choose to be overweight then you should let them, its just that if they choose to be overweight then they won't have a healthy lifestyle, but you really shouldn't force them to become fit.

November 30, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  84. llesica

I think that they should leave it like the way it is .Just because someone may have a lower BMI, does not mean they are healthier than others doesn't every student have to take this class in order to graduate. It won't make any sense if they required students to take a "Fitness Walking/Conditioning only if student's body mass is over 30 if that's the way they want to do it there's really no point on taking that class at all ,i mean come on now we go to school to learn to get our education but they should just require ALL students to take it anyways for graduation & even though you think your healthy.

November 30, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  85. Terrina

I think its a good thing because students who have a body mass over 30 could become obess and could end up dieing or end up dead.So i think its best for them to have Fitness Walking/Conditoning.

November 30, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  86. Kevin

I'd consider any class with participation as the only requirement to be one I would look forward to taking and having an easy time in. If people are complaining about PARTICIPATING that just serves to prove they need a course on healthy lifestyles if you ask me.

November 30, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  87. bigz

That is an obvious yes. What's the downside to that?

December 1, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  88. Zoee

I think that yes, it may help, but it is not right ti embarass people like that.

December 2, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  89. Thomas

That is totally unfair. If people don't want to get in shape, they don't have to. Why is it the colleges dicision if they have to exercise. Some people don't have the time to exercise and mabye they want to be finished with college and get a job. That is what I think.

December 2, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  90. Alina

I think it's great that the staff want the students to be healthy, but it is just rude and embarassing to not allow obese students to graduate. If they worked hard, have a high GPA, and already have a scholarship, why hold them back because of obesity?

December 2, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  91. Lauren

I think that its okay to do that because kids that are that young should not be obessee. I think it will help them learn that, thats not the right way to live and that they should start trying to eat right and watch what there eating.

December 2, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  92. Kyle

I think they should take the fitness class because when you graduate you're on your own now and in life you will have a lot of physical activities you will do in your life. Lots of jobs require to walk a lot and carry a lot of heavy things. If you're not fit enough to do these activities then might as well work as a fast food resturant.

December 2, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  93. Sydney

This is a good thing to help with health issues for college studnets but this can build more stress for the students. They have many things to keep track of and being focused on there weight can distract the students from the studies and that is what college is supposed to help the studnets with.

December 2, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  94. Rebecca

I think that it is a very good idea for the students who are overweight to have to take that class but i also think that not only the overweight people should take that class. I think all of the students who go to that school should take that class to stay fit.

December 2, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  95. George

I think it would help but they shouldn't be forced to take it. Its discriminateing against them it does not mean they are not at healthy it just means they chould have a problem.

December 2, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  96. Devin

The bible says to take care of your body

December 2, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  97. nikita

I think it's a god thing they will still be learning (about there health) and they will be healthier.

December 2, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  98. Giannni

I think that Lincoln University should require every student to take this class so they do not discriminate

December 2, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  99. Kaili

I think that instead of having people with a BMI higher then 30 take this class, all students should be involved. It would make the kids with that problem feel more comfortable that they are not being picked to take the class because of there wieght,

December 2, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  100. alexa

December 2, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  101. David

I don't think this should only be a course for people witha gigher BMI, I think that everyone should be required to take it, because just because someone has a higher BMI does not mean they are any less healthy. They could actually be one of the healthier ones! Everyone should be required to take it.

December 2, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  102. Talley

I think the students should have a choice in if they should have to work out or not. It's a free country, and they can be obese if they want to be.

December 2, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  103. thomas

i dont think people should have to be fit and can be fat if they want but they should have a bmi test

December 2, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  104. Simon

I think that students are requird to take P.E. but a BMI reading does not mean that lower scores are healthier.

December 2, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  105. Kristian

I think that it is not fair to give make them have to take a class to get thier degree. It is their choice to be fit. They passed the education for there job so they probably don't need to be fit.

December 2, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  106. mia

i think its kind of rude or cruel putting a student in that position mkaing them play because of their body mass. students should be able to graduate without passing a physical ed class. i think it should be an option but not necessary or a demand. it could make ppl feel bad about them selves being forced into a gym class because of their weight. its not the schools buisness and they should leave the ppl be. they can go to a gym on their own time.

December 2, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  107. Summer

I think that it is rude to make people who may be obease do that. It would be a really embarrasing thing if people would have to do this and not everyone else. They shouldn't do this, and if they do then just make everyone do it as well!

December 2, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  108. Emily

I think they shouldn't do that. People have to get fit themselves, and maybe they dont want to get fit. Everytime someone adds a rule makes our country less, and less free, until our country is not free, and is under a dictator. We have too many rules.

December 2, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  109. griffin

i think that it is a good idea having them workout so they can be healthy and not end up dead or not being able to move because your body mass is so large. But i also think that is a bad idea. some epole can get very offended by other people tellin them that they a obess. And if they get offended they might complain to the school. So this could be a very good idea having kids to work out and it could be a bad idea telling kids that they are obess because they might get offended.

December 2, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  110. marcus

I think it would be helpful to the students but shouldent me mandatory for students if they don't want to take the course they shouldent have to.

December 2, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  111. Rifaat

I think it is a good idea because there are alot of fat people that need to get in shape.

December 2, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  112. kayla

this is really discrimanating, yeah so what if there over weight? you cant make a person change, and what if they like the weight there at? They should send the students that are over a letter ASKING them if they want to participate in this class, not telling them. and deffinetly not making it manditory.

December 2, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  113. austin

I think the students should decide if they want to take the corse. The university should have the corse but not make students take it.

December 2, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  114. Eliza

I think that all students should be required to take this class. Maybe you have the lowest possible body weight in your class, it does not mean that you are healthy.

December 2, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  115. Olivia

I think if they are just making the kids who have obesity issues it is kind of unfair. If they are going to be forced to take it then everyone should. It might be insulting to them if there the only ones that have to take that class. Also, school is about getting ready for your job in the future. You should do sports on your own time.

December 2, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  116. christian

I think it isnt fair to make them do that because some people are born with those genetics to be overweight and some people eat all they want and still are twigs

December 2, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  117. Noah

I think that they should have a program that offers the option for the fitness so not just certain people have to take it.

December 2, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  118. sydney!!

i dont think it is fair because some people might take it the wrong way and think badly about them selves if theey were called fat.!!!:C

December 2, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  119. Mausam

It's an ok idea to take that class but it's unfair that they don't get degrees un til they do.

December 2, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  120. Alex

people should be allowed to have whatever weight they want without having to take a class

December 2, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  121. chardonay

i'd consider any class with participation as the only requiremeny to be forward to talking and having a good time. if people are complanining the just serves to prove they need a course on health lifestlyes.

December 2, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  122. ian

thats a good idea to help obease people

December 2, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  123. Taylor

I think that the BMI testing is important for young-adults to be successful. The test can help students find success in jobs that they could not have otherwise, because of weight descrimination.

December 2, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  124. loren j

why would do that you will just make those people fell a whole wurse then already is

December 2, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  125. Dustin

This is not a fair right to people as in the constitution.So they say if you are fat you cannot graduate that is unfair and a cruel and unusual punishment.They may be overweight but can make a difference in our society.

December 2, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  126. luigi

i dont think people should have to take the class because it could embaress them and sffect their self esteem so they should be able to chose if they want to take the class

December 2, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  127. Beth

Everyone should be forced to take it, not just overweight people, because it's almost like stereotyping them.

December 2, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  128. Jessica

I think that having a class like this is a great idea but people should not be forced to take the class if they do not want to. Also, they should allow people that are not overweight to take the class. But I do think that it is pretty harsh that if they dont take the class, they won't get their diploma.

December 2, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  129. meme

i think that is not necsasarry to have kids take a class they dont want o and especially not if everyone else is not taking it. that is not fair to the not so thin people

December 2, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  130. Sarah

This course is excellent for students, it would help keep them happy, modivated, and healthy. I also think that these teachers should not "babysit" these kids. They're in college for pete's sake they should be able to choose what they want to do and also when they want to do it. I think that the freshmen should be told that this opportunity is optional, but it's only avaliable untill they're graduation day.

December 2, 2009 at 7:18 pm |
  131. Alexandra

I think that kids shouldn't have to feel bad about their weight and be embarassed because if their friends and them took the test and they were the one who had to take a fitness class, there friends could make fun of them and kids should be in control of their own weight and not have to worry about that everyday when they can be focusing on school.

December 3, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  132. austyn

I think that the fine will help parents helping there children stay in or go to school. But I think they could drop the fine a little bit.

December 3, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  133. Louis

Schools are a place for brains, not brawn. Students are there to learn, not to get a workout.

December 3, 2009 at 9:20 pm |
  134. Abigayle

This could be a good thing for the people that really need it, but the other people just came to get their degree and won't let a fitness rule hold them back from earning what they deserve for their hard work. College is also supposed to fit with the student's schedule and what they want to do in life. This is not about learning.

December 3, 2009 at 9:27 pm |
  135. Raven

I Do Not Agree. They Are Not Paying To Get In Shape. They Are Paying For Education. Think Of The Economy. If They Dont Want To Take The Class, They Shouldnt Have To. That Is Like Discrimination Isnt It?

December 4, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  136. katie

I think that the school board is in the wrong for this one. Students have the right to make their own choices, if a student is heavy then they should be able to decide their own future, do they want to have a healthy life or have a hard stressful life , they shouldent have to be told what to do ( just cuz ther over weight )

December 6, 2009 at 9:14 pm |
  137. Vidhi

Well, I think that taking a physical education course is very important in our society. Healthy habits will insure a longer and better life for the students. Obeisity is the number one cause for deaths in America and to prevent it, schools could help by making it a priotity for all, not just people with a certain BMI.
    On the other hand, I believe that College students can make thier own decisions and a walking class should be provided but not required.

December 8, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  138. charley

I think the course is a good idea as long as you dont have to pay for it

December 8, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  139. Marilyn

I think the course is a good idea, it can help students start and maintain healthy habits as well as develop an exercise routine.

December 8, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  140. Emma

Hello!
    I think that is a very good idea that they should pass a fitness test if they want to graduate. I think is a good idea because when they get older they could run into a lot of health problems and, they can put there life at risk. Great idea.

December 9, 2009 at 5:31 pm |