October 19th, 2009

Tuesday's Topics

Consider this entry a kind of free-for-all on Tuesday's show.  There was a lot we thought would get your attention, and I didn't want to narrow it to just one topic.

So tell us what you thought of the story about the Louisiana judge who refused to marry an interracial couple.  Or discuss whether you've been affected by budget cuts that impacted school bus routes.  Know anyone who's been a victim of cyber fraud?

Give us an idea of what got your attention the most on Tuesday!

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Ariel

If you ask me, the judge that would not marry the interracial couple is has no real reason to say that it would be a bad idea for them to get married. Who knows the two of them could be happy together. And isn’t that the whole reason you would get married in the first place? And what would be wrong with the children? I have meet children that are just fine with interracial parents. Really, it just makes no sense to me.

October 19, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  2. David

What got me was the judge refusing to marry the couple, obviously he can't be forced to marry anybody, Although what he did was bizarre and all in all poinltess, and on top of that narrow minded, I don't think it was an act of racism, it seems everything involving race today has the label of racism slapped on it.

October 19, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  3. kaycee

i ride a bus 2 school it is very safe but if you stand up it is not kids need 2 be more careful

bye

October 20, 2009 at 7:22 am |
  4. Brittany

maybe karzai should go to jail after all he did, and after all that his country did to us

October 20, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  5. Jake

The H1N1 vaccine surprised me because I thought it would be out faster.

October 20, 2009 at 8:51 am |
  6. Ryan

I think that school bus's are safe. I also think that cyber thieves should be arrested.Some Kids have twitter and facebook. Its NOT right!

October 20, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  7. Danny

The topic that got my attention the most was the vaccine delayed. I was going to get my shot this week, but now I don't know when now.

October 20, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  8. keanan

well the goverment is doing bad in iowa it is sad. People are losing there house and that makes me sad so i want to help i dont know what to do

October 20, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  9. Christine

I think the judge could still have his opinion aboout the couple marrying, but he should've still married them.

October 20, 2009 at 9:02 am |
  10. Phill

My shout out is to my cousin Shon who is a marine who will be shipping out to Iraq soon.

October 20, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  11. SRA

even though I'm not affected by the budget cuts on ths school buses, the people who are may not be gettting a good education or even having a hard time getting to school to get one.

October 20, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  12. Lucas

I believe that less school buses would actually be the correct way to go. I've been in school buses multiple times and I'd feel more safe on a motorcycle! Mainly because: 1.) they do not have seat belts, 2.) there is no supervision, and 3.) children are at risk waiting for the bus.

I believe the Louisiana judge was being openly and intentionally racist, whether or not he believes it. He should be removed from his position as judge.

October 20, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  13. E.O

I don’t think the judge is racist, it’s just his belief. But I disagree with him. My grandpa is Peruvian and my grandmother is white as a ghost and they’ve made it fifty years or something. That makes me an interracial baby, so that guy technically just talked about how I got it bad or whatever. So I personally think the judge is a moron, but that’s just me.

October 20, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  14. Bree

All because the couple is of two different races then they shouldn’t be treated to where they think that they can’t ever get married. If the two people love each other very much then they really should get married.

October 20, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  15. Michael

I think that the judge did what he thought best. He was elected to that position and he has the power to choose who to wed or not. If he thinks that it would be a bad idea and that the relationship wouldn’t last long, then he made the right choice by deciding not to marry them.

October 20, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  16. Kara

I think that it was not right for the judge to tell the couple that he would not marry them. It was very disrespectful no matter what he thinks is right they are in charge of their marriage and who they want to marry! He should get in trouble because in a way he is being racist to the couple.

October 20, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  17. ak

Nothing super special caught my up until the 'before we go' segment. That's really cool that they shoved pumpkins in various containers off the roof to see how far the 'guts' would go. I wish our school would let us do something like that. Last year, I did something similar to that, but with an egg. It was cool, but mine didn't work properly.

October 20, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  18. Sanon

What just happened is a very harsh thing anybody in the world can do a couple trying to get married. This man should be fired in any case. This was just playing sick and evil to me

October 20, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  19. Kevin

The Louisiana judge who refused to marry the interracial couple was way out of line. It isn't the judge's decicision as to who two get married. That is between the couple and God, and reufsing to marry them is like a slap to God's face.

October 20, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  20. Patty

I believe that the judge who refused to marry the interracial couple was being ignorant in his decision. His reason for not marrying the couple was just statistics, it doesn’t make it facts. My friend’s mother has been married many times, and her interracial marriages lasted the longest. That’s not to say that this is true for everyone; but it does mean that marriages can last, interracial or not. Not marrying the couple is taking a giant step backwards from what people worked so hard to achieve.

October 20, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  21. Anonymous

I have been affected by the bus cutback, but for a different reason. My neighborhood is continuously growing and we have a bus that goes through for the K-5 kids and a bus that goes later for kids in grades 6-12. The problem is, our bus is FULL. The buses are old and not designed to hold two high school students. My legs do not fit in the seats and because the bus is so full, I usually wind up with the seat with the tire, which just makes it worse. The bus driver said that there isn't enough money to have 3 buses going through our neighborhood and the houses just outside, so it looks like me, and a lot of other people on our bus will just have to suffer, because we can't put our feet in the isle or our backpacks (taking up more room). Something needs to be done about it because I have seen buses with empty seats that can easily be fixed by re- arranging the bus route, which are outdated.

October 20, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  22. Brandon

Well I think what the judge was right, the relationship may not last and then there are problems and he does not want to be in the middle it may seem right to them but not to him and it’s up to him weather to be wed them or not

October 20, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  23. leo

Well I can understand why the judge didn't want to but he should have married them any way despite his opinion. Because marring people is kind of part of the job and that is like refusing to do your job. If your personal opinion goes against what may happen in or during your job then you probably shouldn't have that job

October 20, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  24. torie

The judge's job is not to give his personal opinion on the couples marrige's longevity.. I honestly do not see how the color of skin can determine weather the relationship will last or not.. but either way, the couple got married by a different judge, so they should be happy. But I guess its all about revenge, so they are trying to get this man to lose his job. So I can't decide who is the better person; the judge that refused to marry a couple due to his theory about interracial marriage.. or the couple that can't just accept that what's done is done, and feel the need to drive this man out of a job. it all seems very childish but what do you expect, people get bored I guess.

October 20, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  25. sasha

My opionion on the lousiana judge story,"Weird"

October 20, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  26. JOEY

i hate this why is inter racial marrage should be leagle why was they denied raceast!!!!!

October 20, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  27. Amy

I don't really care that the guy wouldn't marry the couple people have there own personal beliefs. Instead of making a big deal about it they could of just found another person to wed them.

October 20, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  28. Preston

I think the topic that interested me was the one about are school buses safe. I think they’re safe and they should keep running them because it gives students a better chance to go to school. There safe because there big and they are less likely to tip.

October 20, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  29. howard

i think that it is wrong that they wont let the two couple get married and that is just wrong and that should not stop the couple from trying to get married and i would hate it if they did that when i get married

October 20, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  30. JAVI

I THINK THAT WAS MESSED UP BECAUSE WHAT IF THAT WAS HIS FRIEND OR HIS DAUGHTER AN SHE WAS IN LOVE HOW WOULD THAT WORK OUT?

October 20, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  31. Diondre

that guy is stupid, i know plenty of people that are not the same race and have been married for over 20 years.Im sure you do to carl.lol

October 20, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  32. Renee

For starters, I think the fact that the judge wouldn't didn't marry the couple is wrong. Who is he to state that they won't last, who is he to open his mouth and state the problems that he thinks might happen. His job is to marry couples, not to give them counselor advice. The judge was in the wrong.
    I also believe that Obama shouldn't send more troops at all. In fact, i believe that he should reduce the amounts of troops. When Obama was elected he promised to bring troops home. To reduce the amount of troops, and now, he talking about sending more lives to fight for our freedom, he's pretty much digging their grave for them. Since Obama became President, he has brought this who economy deeper into a hole. he has made everyones life miserable.

October 20, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  33. Tre and Charis

A couple of years ago the elementary school bus stop was right in front of our house. All the kids made lots of noise, ran through our front porch, and messed up our grass. We had to come out and tell them to please be quiet. We don't know where the bus stop is now.

October 20, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  34. cody

40 million tubes of vaccine is alot, but it stinks that they only could make 30 million. that is still alot.

October 20, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  35. Ryan

Hey Cnn school saftey is very inportant. 24 million people rideing the bus wow!

October 20, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  36. Alex

The story of the Louisiana judge that wouldn't marry the interracial couple is ridiculous. I have seen my fair share of interracial couples and they get along fine, contrary to what the judge said. I would find it racist if he thinks that interracial couples don't last long or "concerned" about the children, it's not up to him to decide how long a couple is together.

October 20, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  37. Jacob

The interracial marrige attracted my attention the most. He is using a stereotype for this couple. I know of a kid that goes to my school whos parents are interacial and they have been married for a couple years longer than he has been alive. If you say that the marriges are unsuccessful then all marriges are because every race no matter what the demographic has divorces.

October 20, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  38. tripp

I think that the Louisiana judge that refused to marry the interracial couple is a racist. He is classifying the relationship as destined for failure, because of the color of their skins, which is wrong. The only thing that matters is that they love each other, not what they look like. I think that the judge should be disbarred, and not allowed to ever serve in Louisiana again.

October 20, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  39. Andres

I think that guy who denied the interracial couple to get married was completely wrong because after all this country has gone through about equality and blacks and Hispanics and women and all that, and they’re still giving them trouble about their race, two happy people can’t get married because they’re not the same?

October 20, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  40. Auston

I don’t think it matters me personaly every body gone have their own views I think that black people should date whites but every body feels differently.

October 20, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  41. Patty

I think that what the Louisiana judge did was wrong and I honestly cannot think of words to describe how offended I am by his decision and his reason. I personally believe that just because the couple is interracial that doesn’t mean that they won’t last as long as any other couple. Perhaps statistics show that interracial marriages don’s last as long, but who is he to decide which couple will last and which ones won’t?

October 20, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  42. Austin

i think that the judge was wrong but he can do what he wants.

October 20, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  43. Stacy

why did the couples rufesed the wedding??/ I don;t get it.

October 20, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  44. Chirag

It was a bit unfair for the couple who wanted to get married but the judge said no. He did have reasons but they were only beliefs. It wasn't fair at all. I think he was very rude and mean because they fell in love and wanted to get married. The judge doesn't take decisions in their love life. I hope they get married and have a happy rest of their life.

October 20, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  45. Chase

If the parents really wanted the schools to not cut the bus routes then they would do something. They could give the school money if they are cutting the stops because of money issues. The parents could protest. So far I havent heard anything about anyone protesting against the bus cuts.

October 20, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  46. Lana

The judge shouldnt choose not to marry a couple just because he doesn't think that it will last. If the people want to get married they should be allowed to, no matter what race they are.

October 20, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  47. john

I am blogging about the Louisiana judge who refused to marry the interracial couple. An interview with a local newspaper reveals that this judge is incredibly ignorant and racist. He is a bigot who needs to resign from his position as a judge because he is not fit to serve in that position.

October 20, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  48. Zack

i think that since the man refused to get the couple married for a reason of his faith then it's fine, the couple can go find someone else to get them married. and also good luck with the interracial relationship, let me know how that goes.

October 20, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  49. Max

The Louisiana judge who refused to marry an interracial couple because he thought they wouldn't last was not a good decision and he should feel very bad. He also said that he thought that he wasn't a racist, which may be true, but it isn't right to separate two races. There's a law for people like him [the judge].

October 20, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  50. Hayden

The judge in lousiana has absolutely no right to tell that couple that they can't be married because the idea of them being married is much better to america becasue of interacial babies interracial babies would make amercia less racist.

October 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  51. Awesome-O

The judge who refused to marry the interracial couple is just making assumptions about interracial couples. That's stereotyping them. He thinks they won't last only because he knows other interracial couples that haven't lasted. He won't even give them a chance.

October 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  52. mason

I think that the guy that decided not to marry that couple because the wife was white and the guy was black was completely wrong. He said that the marriage won’t last and I think that that is a load of crap because i know many couples that are different races work out fine and be married for a long time. He said that he is thinking of the kid, he is just a racist man that needs a reality check and to be fired from ever marring a couple again.

October 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  53. Haley

Well I think that judge from Louisiana should marry that couple he needs to quit be lazy and help the country. I can’t believe he would refuse to marry that couple.

October 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  54. James

I believe that the judge choosing not to marry the interracial couple is absolutely unreasonable. He may believe that it is not being racists but in reality it is. He is discriminating against the group and saying that if they do not marry within their own race that it is not going to last long. The Judge can easily be disbarred for racism and probably should. I care less if he thinks that what he did is right if the people want to marry then he should not have his own opinions suddenly pop up in the marriage. It is just like refusing to marry gays because Christians believe that it is not right, pretty much the judge is putting his own opinion before his job and obligation to the government.

October 20, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  55. Maria

I think that it is not whether he thinks the couple will or will not last together, maybe he had another reason. It is not his problem about the marriage he should’ve just married them.

October 20, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  56. Alayna

What got my attention the most was the judge refusing to marry the interracial couple. The judge has no idea who these people are and what they are like. He has no idea if they will stay together or divorce. The judge can’t make a conclusion on all of the interracial marriages just because he believes that they don’t last, that isn’t necessarily true.

October 20, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  57. Dreyiss

I think the hole thing with the judge that wouldn't marry the interracial couple isn't a raciest i agree with the reason that he did not want to marry them. But also who is he to tell them that he wont marry them because it's not his decision to say how long they well be married for.

October 20, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  58. mathew

I think that the judge is an idiot and doesn't need to decide the fate of the couple

October 20, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  59. kevin...

i think that the war should hurry up an be over we need to end it fast i mean take control fast.

October 20, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  60. Maurice

I though that judge may have been prejudice, if you're a judge and you can't see those people are in love you shouldn't be judging anyone. If you love someone you love 'em. Just because I'm black and you're white doesn't mean we can't share a special love for one another.

October 20, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  61. Janessa

I don't think that the judge should have refused to marry the couple. Not making them one is going against freedom of speech. Which is unconstitutional.

October 20, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  62. Amber

In my opinion, it was wrong for the judge from Louisiana to refuse to marry that couple because they were interracial. To me, that's discrimination. The judges own personal beliefs should not be a factor in deciding whether the couple should be married – it's unprofessional.

October 20, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  63. Mariah

I think the judge should have let the couple marry. It makes him look really bad for not letting them get married even though he said he wasn't racist.

October 20, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  64. big z

i thought that all of the different terroist groups shocked me because I thought there was just al qaeda and the taliban just occupied the country

October 20, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  65. Kyle

I think it is reall weird how Louisiana doesn't have counties. I haven't been to many places where they have things called perishes. Go CARL YOU ROCK! GC

October 20, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  66. Brendan

The judge not marrying the interracial couple is just exercising his rights. Do I agree with him? No. What really bothers me is his reasoning. His blindness to see past racial barriers. They're human beings of the opposite sex. They deserve a chance at marriage.

October 20, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  67. bailey

I think he should of married them. He has no right not to marry them just because of their different races.

October 20, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  68. Stevie

It's just no fair. That judge can't not marry two strangers that he knows nothing about just because he thinks they won't last.

October 20, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  69. bailey

I think that buses are very safe. the only reason it is not safe is because of the kids. when i used to ride the bus the kids would just yell and stand up in the seats. that caused the bus driver to look up from the road and yell to get are attention. some familys dont have the money to be driving there kids to school everyday. some kids HAVE to ride the bus.

October 20, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  70. Antonio

Well, first of all, how can a couple know if the minister, or what ever you call him, is rasis or not. If he says that he is not rasis and that he has already gotten colored people married , then he did and he is not rasis. WOW, I have never felt so smart!!! My friends never believe me when I say that sooner or later I am going to turn up to be very intelligent.

October 20, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  71. nancy

i dont think it was rite not to marry those 2. i mean if your in love them you should be able to get merryed if thats wut you want. i mean thats just not even rite. its up to them not you!!!! it really gets me!!!

October 20, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  72. amber123

well i ride the buss every day and i do think it is more saff. i dont think it is the smartist thing to shut down the busses what will kids do to get to school if it is far away. and there parents have to work

October 20, 2009 at 9:27 pm |
  73. katie

i think he ment well...sorta he explained that he thought the marrage would not work. so in a way he ment well but he is also being racest! just because a white and a black wana marry does not mean they will split up. let people live if they make a mistake that will help them again...maby

October 21, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  74. katie

students should be alloud to ride the bus!
    do we want our friends being killed because the school wants to save money?? no! some perents cant afford to take ther kids to school. so if the school wants there money make them happy!
    and this generation is the american future! we dont want 1/2 killed!

October 21, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  75. john

i think the judge has the right to not marry them he has the power to say no but it is a hard thing to agree on but he thinks he is right and that is what you have to go on your gut

October 21, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  76. Claire

That judge in Lousiana had absoutly no right, to treat the couple that way. It was their choice- not the judges. You can't go around saying, " You can't marry that person. You can't do that." Because that reason is why America is such a great country.

October 22, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  77. zach

i think that we should eat meat because its good for us.

October 22, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  78. SUPERWOMEN

i think we should NOT go vergitarian for a day because most people like meet and those who dont like meet they shouldnt have to eat it which they do usally not eat it so i think were just fine the way we are.

SUPERWOMEN

October 22, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  79. Tara

That guy need some talking to from me! Ya he should merry that couple. I'm a strong catholic...and if two peaple love each other why not????

October 23, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  80. Nikki ^3^

that judge was not nice not letting that couple marry!! :-*

October 23, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  81. kerri

i think that judge should be taken to court because that is unconstitional because the bill of rights states freedom of religon, worshp,speech &press;the right to petition the government&toassemble peacefully i dont think that judge is being peacefuly about this. He saw being a rasist aginst them he says he saw not by i belive he cholud have married them and kept what he belived to himself.

October 23, 2009 at 9:48 pm |
  82. Mateo

I think that the guy that decided not to marry that couple because the wife was white and the guy was black was completely wrong. He said that the marriage won’t last and I think that that is a load of ballonie because i know many couples that are different races work out fine and be married for a long time. He said that he is thinking of the kid, he is just a racist man that needs a reality check and to be fired from ever marring a couple again.

October 26, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  83. Eileen

The Judge who would not marry the interracial couple was definitely out of line. He can not tell people who they can and cannot marry. If two people are in love, then it is their decision to get married, not his. Also, his reasoning's were unacceptable. He does not know that the interracial couple would not last long just because of their races.

October 27, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  84. ahmed

Idon't know why there doing meatless Mondays but is there any thing else the can do.

October 27, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  85. abdallah

even though I'm not affected by the budget cuts on ths school buses, the people who are may not be gettting a good education or even having a hard time getting to school to get one!

October 28, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  86. Joshua

I think the judge is really prejdious. She wouldn't let an interracial couple get married. It doesn’t make anything much different. She is a bad judge in my opinion. I think everyone has equal rights and can do what they want.

October 29, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  87. lexie

y are so many peopl getting about everthing. we all know that the school well be fine

October 29, 2009 at 9:06 pm |
  88. someone

i think the judge wasnt being racist the kid will turn out 2 have a genetic disorderrrr 😦

November 2, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  89. cierra

It was sorda wrong for him to say no because if they love each other they should have the choice of getting married < =

November 2, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  90. chick8

i am sorry i agree with the judge cause that is just not right just not right at all

November 9, 2009 at 8:58 am |