October 15th, 2009

Freedoms We Take for Granted

If I want to blog, all I have to do is log in, write down my thoughts, click spell check, and publish.  And you're free to read this entry and countless others across the Internet.

But it's a different story in Cuba.  Access to Yoani Sanchez's blog is blocked there, and even though she has a journalism prize waiting for her in the U.S., Cuba's Communist government will not allow her to travel here to accept it.

This story reminds me of a string of freedoms we have that Cuba's residents don't:  freedom of speech, freedom of the press...  Which freedoms do you think we take for granted the most?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Jay

I think the freedoms that we take for granted the most are the freedom of speech and freedom of the press. I mean we are entering the digital age people, more and more people are blogging and more and more people are joining the social networking sites. If organizations put very strict rules on those and the government blocked their blogs , people would not be very happy.
    Also people would only have one view of the world which is not a very good thing. ;)

October 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  2. TJ

wow, that is a good a question, I would say freedom of press for the following reasons:
    1. We make so many nasty comments such as look at the People Magazine it critizes people to a huge extent for a minute detail. And yet no one cares
    2. We critize the president for everthing he does, like for example lets take theNobel Peace prize, many people ... Read Morethought he should have not won the prize and that there are alot of people who have done more significant things than him, if it was in cuba people would have to shut up and not talk at all.

October 15, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  3. Wayno

I think one of the freedom's we take for granted is the "Freedom of Association." To be with, or follow any group regardless of creed.

I am reminded of the Mc Carthy Era of the 50's. A witch hunt, that could have been easily reminiscent of Nazi occupied Germany.

October 15, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  4. Abigail

I think that we take freedom of religion for granted, seeing as a lot of us don't even get into depth with our religion, but other people in the world don't get a chance to practice their religion without a risk of getting arrested.

October 16, 2009 at 7:08 am |
  5. Nate

She does live in cuba but the Communist government cannot just keep her away from her prize

October 16, 2009 at 7:17 am |
  6. Jalil

I really think that what that boy did was very amazing!! That little boy could of just let that girl die, but he took action. That was very brave of him!

October 16, 2009 at 8:16 am |
  7. Shanasia

i think that it is wrong that the Cuban government did not let her(Yoani Sanchez) blog about her daily life each day. She shoulld have the right to blog anyday and any where in Cuba! and whats with the cuban government not letting her get her journalism prize! she won that fair and that communist government should let her get her prize!

October 16, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  8. rachael

I think that they should let Yoani do what ever she want to do. If she needs to go out of state thats her choice to do just that. I like that she is sharing how she feels and i think its wrong for them to try and stop her for what she wants to do.

October 16, 2009 at 8:19 am |
  9. alberto

i think you take freedom of speech for granted because you post all these comments on the web

October 16, 2009 at 8:21 am |
  10. Jalil

I think that alot of freedoms for granted! Like the freedom of speech. People like to talk about things that don't even make sense half of the time!

October 16, 2009 at 8:21 am |
  11. Ronak

This is wrong, the Cuban government should let them blog without having it blocked. Anyway Cuba should be a democracy just like the U.S.

October 16, 2009 at 8:21 am |
  12. stephanie

I think it is ridiculous that she can't get something that she earned. We are very lucky for the freedoms what we have, i feel bad that other people from different countries don't have as much freedoms that we have.

October 16, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  13. Airiana

I would have to say we take freedom of speech and freedom of press for granit the most because it is like we have never had to whatch what we do or say. But if we had to live our lives in a communist country I think that we would say to our selves that we had taken our rihts for granted. For example if I could't do almost anything I please on the internet like blogging I would be so ost and wouldn't have a clue about what was goin on or any thing.

October 16, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  14. Richard

I think we take the freedom of speech for granred the most because so many other countries dont have that freedom, and we abuse it. We use fowl language when were talking with others. We also use it in songs.

October 16, 2009 at 8:23 am |
  15. Nasir

I would hate to have a communist government!
    I dont know if I could live with someone telling me how to live! Dictators are NOT cool!

October 16, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  16. Claire

One freedom I think mosrt Americans take for granted is the ability to speak out. Many people in America have come to America to lead a better life. Also we take advantage of being able to have an eduacation. In certain countries they don't have these ablities that we have

October 16, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  17. Sarah

I think that people take for granted the freedom of speech. People say what comes to mind without thinking how it will impact later decisions. People don't think about what they are saying before they have already said it.

October 16, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  18. Sydney, Katie, Liz, Mary, Ally

We think that we take the freedom of speech for granted. In some countries calling someone a bad name could offend the government therefore that person could get arrested. We are doing We The People in our social studies class and we are studying the freedoms we are entiled to by our Constitution. We believe that freedom of speech is defiently a freedom we take for granted.

October 16, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  19. Marissa

I do think that we take a lot of things for granted here. We have a lot of freedom compared to other countries. We should start taking advantage of it and use it for good.

October 16, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  20. Nick

Each person is individual and want to make choices for themselves. If the government was to judge what you do and how you'll do the people will not be able to reach their full potential. I think a country has no right to rule over someone!

October 16, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  21. Reid

I think she should not be able to blog. it is one of Cubas laws that they dont have freedom of speech and she should respect that and do other stuff that is allowed on the computers. But she have been able to get the award from the USA

October 16, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  22. selina

She should be allowed to go recive the prize.

October 16, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  23. Claire

I think that in the U.S. we take a lot of things for granted. The example from Cuba showed us that. Not being able to leave the country to except an award is terrible! We really take it for granted that we are allowed to leave the country whenever, write or blog whatever we want and to be able to just live and be an individual.

October 16, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  24. fay

i like my freedom

October 16, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  25. Shanna

One freedom that we take for granted is probably the freedom of press. People spend so much money on gossip magazines, or spend so much time reading the comic section of the news paper. Are these things really benefiting us?

October 16, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  26. amari

We have alot of freedoms that we take for granted that is not allowed in Cuba. We don't appreciate the freedms we have. We think that a lot of the are needs but really they are just things that we want. We have the freedom to say what ever we and to express our selves in different ways but in Cuba they don't they have to keep everything to theirselves.

October 16, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  27. Lizzy

I dont think that the U.S. takes anything for granted. I think we are doing a lot better than Cuba. It is very unfair that that woman cant leave Cuba to get something that is rightfully hers.

October 16, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  28. Amulya

I think it's great that someone in Cuba is finally taking a stand against the government. Cuba should give more freedoms to its citizens like free speech or press. If they had freedom of press Cubans could become more educated. Yoani is doing a great thing and Cuba's government is coming to change from being communist.

October 16, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  29. Tamia

I think she should be aloud to blog if she wants. Cuba has a habit of treating their citizens terribly and they get what they deserve. I believe she is trying to make a point of how bad she is treated and she should be aloud to express the way she feels.

October 16, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  30. Matthew

I think we take freedom of speech for graned the most. Every day we talk about the president, laws, crime, and the government. In Cuba and some other countries, you're not even allowed to talk about crime. They can torture, imprison, or kill you and/or your contacts if you do.

October 16, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  31. Joy

I think that we take freedom for granted because our airports are always full of people trying to visit other countries for the holidays, or even people trying to move out the country. Other countries like Cuba, and North Korea can't go to other countries, they have to stay in their country.

October 16, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  32. Bob

October 16, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  33. Parris

I think we take computors for granted.... i personally get on my computor daily and sometimes blog. I think its really unfair how they can't. Hopefully, cuba willl change soon!

October 16, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  34. Angela

Freedom of religion because in many other countries, everyone has to have the same religion–no exceptions. You aren't allowed to practice other religions, or you'll face consequences. Here, anyone can practice any type of religion, and there're even places to meet for those religions.

October 16, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  35. Bob

I think we take alot of freedoms for granted such as freedom of speech for sure because we always will speak our mind to he government we our one of the few countrys that can do this. We also take our traveling rights because most countrys will not allow travel or you have to have alot of papers filled out. That is the freedoms we take for granted

October 16, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  36. Abby

October 16, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  37. SD

i like that we have internet access

October 16, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  38. howard

the laws we take for granted is the freedom of speech and the drinking and driving law

October 16, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  39. JAVI

i've never thought about that be for maybe i should.

October 16, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  40. derek

being free is what we take for granted cause there is city's states that are not free like cuba they cant do what they want so just think about it

October 16, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  41. paul

I am under age so, I have no rights. So that means I have no freedom, my parents have complete control over me.

October 16, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  42. Taylor

I've always asumed that the freedom I have I always will have, I really dont think about what freedoms I have and what freedoms I dont.

October 16, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  43. Renee

I think that their are many freedoms in America that taken for granite. For Instants, the freedom of speech. Not only do most kids take advantage of it, but teachers dishonor it. If the students are in the right, and teachers don't like that their wrong, than they will use our language against us.
    Some students will go to far and use every "bad" word in a sentence and say "freedom of speech."
    Voting is another thing, When your 18 you can sign up to Vote, and people don't take advantage of that, mostly because their lazy. Their are so many people out their that are so clue less to their Rights of Freedom. I think that we should take the time, and teach kids while their young their Freedom of Rights, and explain to them the advantages and disadvantages to each Right.

October 16, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  44. Ms. Boutchyard's Class

We are able to travel around the world without worry that our government will prevent us from going. Too often, we take our freedom of speech for granted. We can write what is really going on in our newspapers, blogs, etc. We have complete computer access and the ability to read text on the internet and write items on the internet without fear that our government will block us. We take our public education for granted also.

October 16, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  45. jessica

The freedom i take forgranted the most is that people of color and white ahve freedom to do anything

October 16, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  46. jacinda

I take many freedoms for granted. One that i take for granted is that people of color and white are treated equally. this is very important becaus eif it did not come true people would not have any peace.

October 16, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  47. emily

the freedom I think we take for granted the most are the freedom of religon

October 16, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  48. Matt

I think she should make another website so it would be easier for people to see what she has to say

October 16, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  49. Jazmine

some freedoms we take for granted. lik access on the internet. and the rule over people like if u owe sumbdy sumthin then you do everythang 4 dat person to get off ur back

October 16, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  50. Dyanna

we take to many thing like the right to own a gun or even the fredom to vote.

October 16, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  51. Alexander

i think we take the freedom of speech for granted the most

October 16, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  52. Carmen

Yoani Sanchez’s should get the chance to come to the United States, because she has earned that award by bloging on her website about her life in Cuba.

October 16, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  53. Chandler

I think Sanchez is over reacting. Her blog should be blocked due to the things shes been writting. They're pointless and knowing Cuba is a Communist country, She knows those things are not going to happen.

October 16, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  54. ISHMAEL

ONE OF THE FREEDOMS THAT WE TAKE FOR GRANTET IS THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH

October 16, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  55. Jeffrey

I think the freedom we tke the most for granted is; freedom!

October 16, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  56. Dylan

We take freedom of speech for granted because in other countries people can' stand up or speak their mind about what they think about their coutry without going to jail.

October 16, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  57. Dennis

If you ask me I believe that all American Citizens go day by day without noticeing theree rights, and thats probably because we've had them all along. Such as if someone doesnt like somthing they refuse to speak out while people in other country that dont have our freedoms speak out all the time agaisnt things.

October 16, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  58. Lily

I think that we take freedom of religion for granted. I mean in other countries, everyone has to be Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist ect, and here we all think that freedom of religion is just an everyday thing. It's not...

October 16, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  59. Bekah

I think the freedoms that we take for granted are freedom of speech and religion. In some places you coud get killed if you say some certain thing or you coud get killed if you have some certain religion. Here in America we will not get killed or arrested if you say something "wrong."

October 16, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  60. Emma

One of the freedoms we take for granted a lot is freedom of speech. Our country will let anyone say anything. People could be saying right now that they are going to blow the whole U.S. up. And do they do anything about it? No. I think people that say those kind of things should be held in jail untill they prove they won't. I'm not sure how they will do it but with all the technolgies we have today I'm sure they will find a way.

October 16, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  61. Erin

i think we take freedom of speech for granted the most

October 16, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  62. Eddington

American citizens most defenitly DO notice all of there rights. Such as when people speak out and when we vote.

October 16, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  63. Katie

I think at times we take all of our freedoms for granted. I think we would be shaken the most if we lost our freedom of speech. Think about the things in the news lately, with Kanye West and Serena Williams. We speak out a lot, if you think about it. A debate in class, sharing your opinion with a friend, or even just saying that you think a billboard is silly. Many lives would be changed if we lost our freedom of speech, especially those who need to speak out about issues in the world or their community.
    Many of our "freedoms" involve being able to speak our minds, whether it be an editorial in the paper or a comment at a town hall meeting. Freedom of speech, freedom of the press, the right to peaceably assemble...our lives would change drastically if we lost any of our rights and we should feel sorry for those who don't have our basic freedoms.

October 16, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  64. Jonathan

i think that we have don't notice how lucky we are to be able to talk about what ever we want. think about cuba if you talk bad about the goverment. they com and kill you. think about not saying what you feel

October 16, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  65. manuel

why would they do that for ? she won the prize she has a right to come to U.S to acept her prize. That's dumb , to not let her come, i'd leave anyways!!

October 16, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  66. Eva

I think we all take our freedom for granted...or we don't use them for the right reasons.

October 16, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  67. brittney

i think the cuban goverment shall allow Yoani sanchez to come to the United Sates To Accept her prize, what she won and did on her own,i don't see why they won't let her recieve it and come back !

October 16, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  68. Melanie

Its true that other countries dont have the freedom to say what they want, like in Cuba, but we have the freedom and we abuse it. We have the freedom of speech and we still are scared to speak our minds. Many people around the world cant do that without punishments and consequences. We have the power to change the world around us if we only just speak out and help other! Its our choice and we can do it without getting in trouble. But not many people are speaking out and using that freedom that isnt very common around the world.

October 16, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  69. Angelina

I have two opinion/theories about cuba's future i think that Cuba should have the rights that all of the United States citizens have. The Cubans have been miss treated and I think that castro's brother will give the trapped cubans more freedom and when fidel dies that cubans will be able to leave the country. But on the other hand hopefully fidels brother is'nt doing what adolf hitler has done by acting nice into getting respect and more power and stirring up international trouble.

October 16, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  70. Chelsea

I think that it's very wrong to take freedom of speech, freedom of press and so on from anybody, its a human right and to take human rights from someone is inhumane. In the U.S. everybody in my opinion takes their rights for granted, even I do and people just say "oh they're fine, it's their own government" when other governments take freedoms away, we just turn our backs on them and don't help, and it's because of our society. We don't realize what we have because our society is so into everything else and we just expect to have our freedom, but I'm sure that if one or two or all of our freedoms were taken away we would complain about it and just think that it's inhumane and then we would realize how good we had it and just how bad others have it.

October 16, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  71. Becca

i think that freedom of speech is a HUGE part of our culture because our whole society is built around the common persons opinion and we establish rules (laws) around it. if that werent apart of our culture we'd be just the same as those other countries who dont have that freedom of speech.

October 16, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  72. chessy

i agree with them

October 16, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  73. Sasha

There are many things we all take for granted! Such as running hot water, air-conditioning, nice clothes, internet and many other things. Many people in developing countries today don't have any of this stuff.

October 16, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  74. caitlin

wow that is crazy how they save the stuff in cuba and gets the blog post out one way or another

October 16, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  75. Mrs. Savannah's Class

Mrs. Savannah's Class Top 10 Freedoms We Take for Granted

1. Freedom of Brand Choice (food, clothing)
    2. Freedom of Speech (we even can say many things we shouldn't
    3. Freedom of Religion
    4. Freedom of Travel
    5. Employment
    6. Gasoline
    7. Educational System
    8. Running Utilities
    9. Housing
    10. Freedom of Technology (Media)

October 16, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  76. chelsea

i hope she or he have freed on

October 16, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  77. Will

At first, most people don't think Americans take anything for granted, but that's wrong. Americans have many freedoms those in communist countries (such as Cuba) don't have. We have a democratic/republic government, a market economy, voting rights, no blocked sites on the Internet (except for school), and a whole lot of other things. Hey, most Cubans would be suprised that Americans can actually choose their jobs. WHOA!

October 16, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  78. Harry

I think that they should be able to say whatever they want. If the government wasn't concerned that what the people were saying was the truth, they wouldn't be trying to push it down. As humans, we have the ability to express our opinion, and the Cuban Government is trying to suppress that. It's not a battle they can win though, because the speech will always come out.

October 16, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  79. Andres

I think that our water is taken for granted every day. The freedom of drinking water is not considered a freedom really but compared to the other countries that have little water they would really disagree.

October 16, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  80. Max

I think that we take our freedom of the press for granted. People put anything in the papers but in cuba they cannot do that...

October 16, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  81. Tim

Computers are used many ways and everyone should be able to use it freely. While Cuba has limits of the computer, we as Americans abuse this freedom.

October 16, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  82. Maddie

I believe that some people in the world do take our freedom for granted. Alot of people dont get as much freedom as we do, and we need to be more thankful that we even have the right to eat, or even have our own thoughts.

October 16, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  83. Sinclair

I think we take freedom of speech for granted. Here, we can do say anything we want, while there they can only do things said by the government. I say we should help to fight back and give them their own freedom. China is just taking huge steps at a time while Cuba took praticaly only one small, baby step.

October 16, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  84. Dalton

We have many more freedoms than many other countries, and almost all of them are taken for granted. We have so much freedom and can do whatever we want, but dont realize what we have. People talk out against the country and the government, which is very often taken for granted, and many other things are also allowed in The US. These freedoms that i think are taken for granted are freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom to do what we want, work where we want to, and live how we want to live, which is greater than we realize.

October 16, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  85. Andrew

I think that Cuba is holding back their citizens and that's people are trying to leave if they simply gave their citizens the rights that America gives their than maybe people will stay in Cuba and actually want to live there.

October 16, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  86. Matthew

We take many freedoms for granted. Many people around the world don't have the same freedoms we do. If the cuban gonvernment has blocked the site and wont let her go to get here award then they won't let any one speak out. The people of cuba need to revolt agenst the cuban gonverntment and set up a better system of gnvernment.

October 16, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  87. Alejandra

i think that we take the right to freedom of press for granit because we dont really write much and when we do write its is usually about other people.

October 16, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  88. raymond

I believe that the kids don't really have any freedoms we are forced to do what we are supposed to do or we are harshly punished. An example is saying something inapproprate we are punished.

October 16, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  89. Samanther

When you say something *bad* you get grounded or put out of class. Your parents choose what you eat, and when you go to bed. We are forced to go to school, and we don't get paid.
    Kids dont have ANY Freedom, so we have nothing to take for granted. However, if I did have freedom I would expect that I would take the freedom of speech for granted because I would have the opportunity to speek everything thats is on my mind with no punishments.

October 16, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  90. Big Z

We take freedom of speech for granted. We can just say whatever we want. In Cuba, a communist country, if you speak out, you may be killed, like Joseph Stalin.

October 16, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  91. BobbiLee

I think we take freedom of speech for granted because no matter what we have to say about politics or anything, if people don't like it we get yelled at or in trouble for it. Even though its called freedom of speech, we have the right to say what we wont and not to get in trouble for it.

October 16, 2009 at 5:00 pm |
  92. Ashley

I think Americans tend to take our freedom of speech for granted. Just because it's not illegal to swear, doesn't mean we should. It makes me sad when I hear second graders on the school bus drop the f bomb. It makes me more sad to know that they learned it from their parents or older siblings. In my opinion swearing doesn't make a persoon cool, it makes someone sound like they don't how to speak properly.

October 16, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  93. Elizabeth

I think the freedoms we take most for granted are probably freedom of press or speech. In a lot of other countries, they dont have the right to just stand up and say that something is wrong. If they did, they would be under serious consequences.

October 16, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  94. Marisa

i think we abuse the freedom of speech. one because instead of using our voice to help other we use it to put others down.... because of our voice we hurt people deeoer then we realize.. think about all the people who committed suiside becuase of our voice.

October 16, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  95. Shauna

Personally, i think that health care reform has been a top topic for several years, but america is so tender to touch about this topic in the government, that we don't know if the health care reform will actually work out, so thats why we don't know if health care reform will actually take place.

October 16, 2009 at 7:02 pm |
  96. Rachel

I think that the one freedom that we take for granted is our freedom to assemdly. Some people assemble to protest and don't have a license when the goverment says we have to have a license to assemdle.

October 16, 2009 at 7:59 pm |
  97. Fred

I think the freedon of speech. Because some people think that they can jest go and say things to make someone fill bad about something that they did. Or go and say things that are wrong.

October 16, 2009 at 8:16 pm |
  98. gossipgirl

I think of the freedom of speech when I saw the rights that Cuban residents didn't have and that we take for granted. I have a blog and I write on it all the time, I never think about what it would be like if I was suddenly blocked from it. I record a lot of my thoughts on there and I was amazed when I found out that in Cuba access to Yoani Sanchez's blog was blocked!

October 16, 2009 at 9:07 pm |
  99. Raul

I believe that one of the freedoms we take for granted is freedom of speech. We allow others to speak for us but most of the time, americans stay quiet and hide behind others instead of using thier knowledge and opinion instead of others.

October 16, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  100. Tiffany

the freedom to learn

October 17, 2009 at 12:41 am |
  101. kevin

I have food every day

October 17, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  102. nancy

i think we take alot for granted. like freemdom of speech. like when people think its ok to bad mounth the presdent.

October 17, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  103. Andrea

Some freedoms we take for granted?

Oh, let's see. Freedom to eat, freedom to go around and do stuff without getting anyone's permission, freedom to shop freeily (Which I REALLY take for granted) freedon to make any sorta friends ya want, freedom to LIVE!!!

October 17, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  104. Becca

I think that most people take using their cell phones for granted because when you think about it, most people in the US have a cell phone over the age of 9.

October 17, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  105. DJ

We take so much but we never even know! like freedom of speach, freedom of press. being able to vote. being a democracy is a huge thing we never really thought of it much but we really do have the life compared to other countries. We are really lucky.

October 17, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  106. Anonymous

I believe freedom of speech should be taken for granted the most!
    It's one of the most fundamental rights in Democracy...
    But it's unlucky that she lives in a nation with no basic rights...

October 18, 2009 at 7:53 am |
  107. Elisha

I think we take freedoms for granted because in other countries we could get arrested for saying you do not like someone.

October 18, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  108. shoppy

i think there are many freedoms we take for granted. for example, parents, in china if you have two children and they are both girls the govenment will take the oldest away.shoking, right? if you dont think we take freedoms for granted google or yahoo laws for other nations. it'll change youre mind completely.

October 18, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  109. bailey

Freedom of speech becuase some of the things we say we could never get away with in another country

October 18, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  110. Bennah

We take way to many things for granet and i wish we didn't

October 18, 2009 at 7:28 pm |
  111. noah

i think the freedoms we take for grated are usually freedom of speech,because most people who stand up and talk are usually taken away by the police.

October 18, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  112. Nikayla

I totally agree;it's just not right!I mean I am very greatful but i can't stand that over here we are allwed to protest,hold speeches of what we want and others ways of freedom to speak out and over sea's , such as Cuba,they can't do any of that! That woman should be allowed to come here and get her prize!!!!that's an amazing thing and an honor but she can't accept it!!!so I am so with you guys on this!!!

October 18, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  113. delaney

i think the freedom we take for granted is the abilty to have money not just for things we want but for things we actually need like food and water and shelter.America is a very rich country but most of its people dont stop and think "Wow ,what would i do without money,?i never really thought how thankful i should be"American needs to give thanks for the ability walk outside ,get in your car and be able to go by your food and be healthy and happy.But thats just what i think.Everyones intitled to there own opinion.

October 18, 2009 at 9:45 pm |
  114. James

I belive that we take the freedom of speech for granted the most in this country. Here in America, we can say almost anything we want against anyone without a second thought, and people would shrug it off as your own opinion. In other countries, like China and Cuba, every word that is said by the citizens is monitored and censored. I believe that we, as citizens of America, should be aware of just how much freedom we have with our voice.

October 18, 2009 at 9:57 pm |
  115. Raphael

I think freedom of organizing associations should be granted the most. The Cuban society is one communist party system as whether as we can make political parties if we wants to. I'm thinking of Teen's Party. Wanna join, anybody?

October 19, 2009 at 2:27 am |
  116. Nick

I think we take our freedom to choose what we wear for granted because in some countries, they have to wear the same clothes every day because the government doesnt allow anything else.

October 19, 2009 at 6:42 am |
  117. Darren

As a devoted Catholic, I believe that we all take freedom of religion very lightly. Even those who don't celebrate any specific religion do not realize that they can even do that.

October 19, 2009 at 8:33 am |
  118. Brittany

i think that we need to get our own freedom. it would be best for all of us

October 19, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  119. Jake

sometimes it would be freedom of speach, also the freedom to spend your money wisely

October 19, 2009 at 8:51 am |
  120. Danny

I mainly think we take freedom of speech for granted. Most places you do not have freedom of speech.

October 19, 2009 at 8:51 am |
  121. Vikki

I think we take freedom of speech for granted, because a lot of people curse and scream and all that kind of stuff. We curse a lot and that's just using freedom of speech for granted. It's just like borrowing a glass, then braking it.

October 19, 2009 at 8:53 am |
  122. Matt

I think one of the biggest freedoms we take for granted is the fact we are not communism. Many people make fun of communism and it is used as matieral for commedians, but they are really unaware how bad things are, I bet they would not be laughing if most of their pay check was diminished.

October 19, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  123. Samantha

I think that we take the freedom of speech taken for granted. Everyone gets to say whatever they want and no one can really stop them. People say swears and people correct them, and that's taking it for granted. Freedom of speech means that you can saying anything where ever. We totally take advantage of this freedom.

October 19, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  124. jason

i have a free dum to play sports with other kids and go to this school .

October 19, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  125. Paul

I think it is nice to have freedom to skate board as long as we can.
    I love freedom.

October 19, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  126. Christa

I can watch tv when I want.

October 19, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  127. sasha

Freedom of speech, religion, travel ect.

October 19, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  128. JOEY

i think we do tke many of these freedoms for granted in other contries they don't have one of these other contrie's have such freedoms as us.

October 19, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  129. Meghan

i think we should take freedom for granted!!!

October 19, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  130. Malik

I think we take many things for granted like the internet

October 19, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  131. Stacy

Freedom is the best because if we didn't have freedom we won't have food. I think everyone should have freedom because if evryone didn't have freedom it would be sad.

October 19, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  132. Rebecca

I think the freedom we have the most is freedom of speech. I say frredom of speech because people dont have to tell you what to say. Also because you dont have to go to jail for saying something bad and its there feeling. With freedom of speech you can basicly say what you want when you want. when you want to say your feelings you can say it your way. Having fredom of speech is a big responsiblity.

October 19, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  133. Jamie

I think we have the most freedom of speech. We can talk when we want to and it is a right that we have. She should be able to travel out of Cuba.

October 19, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  134. Chirag

freedom of speech and freedom to live are a few of the pieces of freedom we take for granted.
    also freedom from slavery is what we take for granted.

October 19, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  135. Deven

Americans don't take out freedoms for granted. Our government was first formed on freedom of press and speech.. It's what the definition of America was formed on.

October 19, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  136. William

We take the freedom of speech for granted. Most people think that just because we have the freedom of speech we can say whatever we want to. That is partially true. Just because we have the freedom of speech dosn' t mean we can go around the city cursing people out and saying bad things about them.

October 19, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  137. Sierra

They can't stop her from going to get her award and they can't stop her from speaking her mind. Freedom of speech.

October 19, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  138. alex

i think that we take the freedom of transportation because everyone (grown ups) all have ways of transpotation or freedom of the internet alot of people have internet but dont think about how lucky they are to have it they just get on there and start typing away

October 19, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  139. Anonymous

I think we take most of our freedoms for granted, because a lot of us don't know what it's like to live without rights. But the freedom I think we take granted the most would be the freedom of speech because we never have to worry about what we say about our government.

October 19, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  140. Brandon

The freedom to a better education, speech, health care, and the freedom to own property.

October 19, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  141. ashley

i love the freedom we all have and the rules are very particular...

October 19, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  142. Kyle

A freedom we Americans take for granted are freedoms of speech. We can protest against the government and in some countries you can't do that or you will be prosecuted or even executed.

October 19, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  143. kodie

I think the freedom we take for granted the most is the freedom to attend school.

October 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  144. David

The freedom of press is what we really take for granted. How many times do you see someone take a newspaper and throw it away, only looking at the comics? While in areas without much freedom of press, if the newspaper prints something that is not authorized, the consequence could be harsh. They could lose their home, they could go to jail. In fact, depending on the subject, they can be executed.

October 20, 2009 at 12:02 am |
  145. Stephen

Its rediculous! Why can't she have freedom? I'ts not like she's doing anything wrong. I sure am glad I live in a fair country. This is why the U.S. has freedoms like that.

October 20, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  146. jeremy

i think we all take a lot of suff for granted.

October 20, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  147. Bryce

I think that the freedom of speech is the most looked upon because years ago we couldn't speak out

October 20, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  148. Lisa

i think the freedom we take for granted the most would be freedom of
    speech because some things people say should not be said. Some things people say about other isnt right at all.
    Also, another freedom we talk for granted is freedom to protest because some of those protest get out of hand and they still say its a peaceful protest when their yelled negative things and disrespecting the country....its not right in some cases.

October 20, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  149. Lisa

Freedom of Speech is the most freedom taken for granted because some of the things people say should not be said. personally if you cant say anything nice then dont say anything because it will effect someone or something somewhere.

October 20, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  150. essence

i think that freedom of speech is being tooking for granted because of the fact some of the thing people say should not be said. also because when a teacher says not talkingsome people think that the teacher is trying to take their freedom when really all you have to do is listen to that teacher and follow dicretions.

October 20, 2009 at 8:58 pm |
  151. Madalyn

A freedom we take for granted would most definitely be the freedom of speech. There are so many things that people say that absolutely benefit no one. We have come to a point on society where its okay to express your opinion in the most negative ways possible. It's crazy how easily we take for granted these freedoms that thousands of people have lost their lives fighting for. Be thankful for these freedoms that we are so privileged to have.

October 21, 2009 at 12:07 am |
  152. Cole

There are a lot of freedoms people take for granted: freedom of speech, religion and even freedom of press. In America there are things said and done that don't require so much as a second thought, but elsewhere you could be thrown in jail without so much as a trial. Of course even America has limitations to our freedoms such as implicating threats and certain groups treated without trial. Limitations are necessary but I think we should just be thankful for our freedoms.

October 21, 2009 at 1:07 am |
  153. katie

almost all of us were born in the US we have no clue how lucky we are. we ahve running water and food ,clothes. some people in africa dont even have a meal!

October 21, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  154. Medha

Freedom of speech is taken for granted the most.In the US we can say anything we want and no harm will come to us.But in countries like North Korea or Cuba the people face severe consequences.They are executed for saying what's on their mind.For example Kim Jung Il has people killed for even saying something that even suggests that they think that he is a tyrant.That just proves how much our freedoms are taken for granted

October 21, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  155. Nicole

I definately think that people take Freedom of Speech for granted. I've never thought about not being able to give my opinion. I think that it is a good freedom to have because then everyone feels like they can let others know their ideas, and they might be really useful ideas that can improve a country. I don't think that they should block her blog.

October 21, 2009 at 8:58 pm |
  156. Maddy

I think the right we take for granted the most is freedom of speech and freedom of press. We don't realize it, but if the government had control of the press we would only be told things the government wants us to hear. The government would be able to control what is published. I think we are very lucky to have freedom of press because we know what is going on whether the government wants us to or not.

October 21, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  157. CJ

We don't think about how lucky we are to have electricity a warm house food running water. People in other countries may not have these luxuries we have today.

October 22, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  158. Ryan

I believe that freedom of speech is very important. We need to be able to speak our minds. Even though you can do that in communist countries you may disappear.

October 22, 2009 at 8:53 am |
  159. Becky

I personally take the Freedom of Religion for granted. Its amazing that we live in a country where we can practice any religion openly. Instead of being unified in one religion and being persecuted if you attempt to practice a different religion, we are unified in our right to worship whichever higher authority we choose. Other countries are not as fortunate to have religious freedom and yet we take this privilege for granted everyday.

October 22, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  160. emmanuel

opur freedom of speech is the most important. without that we could not stand without the danger of being silenced

October 22, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  161. Maddie

I think we take our first amendment right, freedom of speech, for granted. In America we can talk about what we think of our government and what we think of our president. This to me is very important. Another right we as americans take for granted is freedom of the press. If the government was controlling the newspapers and magazines, then the information would most likely be censored to make the government "look good" and that is how it is down in Cuba.

October 22, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  162. Tyler

I think we take freedom of speech for granted the most. For example in one of my classes, the teacher will let you get away with saying "bad" words sometimes, because they know that it slips and just happens sometimes. In some communist countries, if you said a foul word, you would probably be expelled from school or even executed, especially if you said anything negative about the government. We always talk trash about everything thats not exactly how we want it to be, but never realize in some countries, that it's considered a crime to speak your mind.

October 23, 2009 at 12:35 am |
  163. Sydney

I believe the number one freedom Americans take for granted, is the one they exercise the most; the freedom of speech. I don't think many people in America realize just how lucky they are to have this right. When you take in to consideration the fact that in Cuba the government can restrict what its people say, you become that much more grateful about possessing the right to say what you want. I think Americans need to realize just how lucky they are, and start using this right in more positive ways.

October 23, 2009 at 12:49 am |
  164. Ricki

Personally, I find that alll of the rights and freedoms we have are very important to are country. We take them all for gratned. Some may be more important than other, but if we where to take one away i am sure that we would miss it.

October 23, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  165. Savannah

We take so many freedoms for graunted in America. We have jobs available for us and we dont take advantage of them because many things are handed to us. Freedom of religion, is the right most taken advantage of. Many countries are opressed because of their religion they have. And in America we have the choice to any religion, but we take it for granted. People have many rights and speak out all the time, but we need to look at the countries who dont have the rights we do.

October 23, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  166. kerri

This i think is unfail she is not killing or harming anyone so they should let her live on doing this she is just saying what she belives . that is like saying here in America that i cannot go on my camputer if i talk badly about are president that is not fair and some one cholud but a stop to in or buy her her own computer that on they the us can control and not he cubans

October 23, 2009 at 9:52 pm |
  167. Ashley

I believe that we take the first amendment for granted. This is because we say things that may be putting people in danger everyday that dont even faze us because we have the excuse of I have the "freedom of speech". When in actuallity we may be breaking this amendment even though we are joking around. Also, the freedom to petition is often abused. Groups assemble and are violent or break the law with their petitioning. Overall, I believe that the first amendment is the amendment most taken advantage of.

October 26, 2009 at 3:04 am |
  168. Ryan

We take freedom of speech forgranted. We take this right forgranted because other countries do not have this right. We are allowed so say basically whatever we want and in other countries if they say anything bad about the goverment they could be killed. In the US we have that right and we take that forgranted alot.

October 26, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  169. Rio

one of the biggest freedoms we take for granted is, freedom of speech. just because we have the freedom to say what we want, shouldnt encourage people to be rude, and mean. these freedoms should be treated with the most respect and consideration possible. its an honor and a huge priveledge to live in a free country.

October 26, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  170. Anonymous

We take the use of elecronics for granted the most because alot of people don't understand that in other countries people can't use electroics as freely as we can. Every American can go on the computer, be on the phone or watch T.V but other countries don't have the same privliges as we do. We need to be more grateful for the simplist things!

October 26, 2009 at 7:15 pm |
  171. Matthew

Today I believe that kids these days take for granted the 1st amendment. We are very disrespectful to adults when we should show our outmost respect. Back when the Bill of Rights was made, if a boy were to swear at an adult they would get smacked. So im just saying that we need to not take for granted our freedom of speech.

October 26, 2009 at 9:43 pm |
  172. Mateo

I think that we take the freedom of speech taken for granted. Everyone gets to say whatever they want and no one can really stop them. People say swears and nobody corrects them unless there a teacher or something, and that's pretty much taking it for granted. Freedom of speech means that you can saying anything where ever. We totally take advantage of this freedom.

October 26, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  173. Cora

I think a freedom that we take for granet is probily Freedom of speech. We can all have our own opinon, but we should not pick the wrong one. We should pick what is right to make a law.

October 27, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  174. Stacy

I think we should have freedom because if we didn't have freedom this country will be so sad. We need freedom everyday snd freedom is the best.

October 28, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  175. Joell

I think we do take things for granted, and all that do must stop now or some time when the things we take for granted like a phone, computer, and a toilet are taken away, those who TOOK THOSE FOR GRANTED WILL HAVE A VERY HARD RECESSION, (or comeback)).

October 28, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  176. Joshua

I think that alot of us take our frredom for granted Just being able to walk outside and not see war so we should thank our soldiers gotta go bye.

October 28, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  177. Valeriya

I think that that the thing that we take most for granted id freedom of speech.

October 29, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  178. Joshua

I think the freedom of speeches we take for granted is when we get to travel where we want. And when we can buy anything we want, say anything we want, and that we can do things were other people can't do.

October 29, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  179. alex

we do, we do take freedom for granted. i think we should be proud of the freedom we have, now that we think about it. i now all of us should be proud of it, we all have rights and we should respect them. for all the things we have, what if we lose all that we would all have a hard time getting used to the new life style and not having all the freedom we have right now. all should respect the freedom

October 29, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  180. kathryn

i think that we as US citizens take all of our freedoms for granted. Especially freedom of the press. Journalists write what they feel, never worrying that they could be punished by the government for what they write or report. In other countries, the press is restricted. Their governments release the news they want their people too see, and journalists dont have the freedoms that the US journalists have. Exposing the truth in one one these countries would be considered a crime, because there is no freedom of the press.

October 29, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  181. Thomas

i think that we take our freedom of speech for granted. not only do we take it for granted but we have become so accustomed to it that if we were never tought about it that we would have never known that our for fathers fought for that freedom. if we never had our feedom of speech then this blog would not even be here.

October 30, 2009 at 1:44 am |
  182. Catherine

I think many amaricans take freedom for grantet.i also think that freedom is a privlage too and people need to use it in the right way like geting a job and helping others in time of need.my family needs all the help it can get.also the young men in Iraq we should help them get back home!!!phones,computers,and electronic handheld or (nintendo)games.they are here because of all of the slave children in the world make them.duh.they are all apart of the freedoms we have. and i know cause my Civics teacher makes us wach the news every day and that isn't the only place i wach the news i wach it at home and on the computer at my dad's house.SO HELP US LEARN THAT WE HAVE PRIVLIGES AND NOT ALL RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!

October 30, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  183. Tommy

Thats nice halloween is my 2nd favorite holiday christmas is my 1st favorite though

November 2, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  184. Tommy

I think that we have privlages all kids should have privlages if we didnt have privalages america would not be like this wew need to stop getting privalages taken away.

November 2, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  185. Abel

November 2, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  186. samara

I take the most freedom of speech the most because who doesn't like 2 talk?

November 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  187. Matt

The freedom we take for granted the most I think is just being able to choose what we want to do. We abuse that privalage and make poor choices more often than not.

November 2, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  188. Sam

i think the freedom of speech is taken for granted, or even misunderstood, some people may not know all of the limiting factors about it. But i think some peopel psuh their boundries way to much with this right.

November 3, 2009 at 12:24 am |
  189. Dakotah

We are a very lucky country to have freedoms that many other countries are lacking. But we do abuse them, take feedom of speach for example we are always putting out opinions like I am now. In many places this would be highly illigal so be thankful you live i the USA.

November 3, 2009 at 1:13 am |
  190. Hanna

We take so many rights for granted it's sad. its hard to believe the rules people in china must go through everyday that are different from our daily lives. I'm so glad I live in America, we have so many privileges other persons in other countries don't have.

November 3, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  191. jenna

I think that we take freedom of speech for granted for the following reasons:
    1. On the radio they can say almost anything they want about someone to make them look bad.
    2. There are no restrictions on some television channels for what people say.
    3. If you took a look at some magazines all they are is trash talking innocent people.
    4. As individuals most people dont even appreciate this taken for granted freedom.

November 5, 2009 at 6:55 pm |
  192. sarah

Freedom of speech:
    this freedom is missused in many differeny places available to the public eye. I think that one of the main ways people take this freedom for granted is when kids and parents mistreat their parents. I think that is NOT ok if they talk to them the way some do.

November 5, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  193. brittney

We take so many things for granted in America. One that i think has gone to far is freedom. We are lucky to have this freedom, but sometimes we over use this right. For instance Freedom of speech, Freedom of religon, Freedom of the press. Freedom of press, has ruined many famous peoples lives.Anthor way is freedom of spech, like on tv, they can say almost anything they want, and trash people.

November 5, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  194. Janny

I think the freedoms we take for granted the most are, freedom of speech. So many people can potentially say whatever they want nowadays and get away with it. I don't think they understand the boundaries of this right and they abuse it. Many other countries don't have this right and we are very lucky to have it.

November 6, 2009 at 3:53 am |
  195. Samantha

I think a freedom we take for granted is freedom of speech. People are allowed to say what they want. Also, a freedom we take for granted is freedom of religion. People can do what they have to do for their religion and not get in trouble for it.

November 6, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  196. chick8

to be able to go to any school or dress anyway and have any reglion so i mean just don t be stupid

November 10, 2009 at 8:51 am |
  197. Faustina

I enjoy that we get to have freedom of speech because we get to speak our mind.

November 10, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  198. Julianna

I think we take the freedom of speech for granted the most. People always just say what they want whenever they want.

November 10, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  199. damian

i believe that it was wrong for a principal to do that if there black wight or Asian etc... one of them kids could think of that in the wrong way. a little kid see's a person of higher authority doing that then the kid could go out on the streets and at his home and favor certain people based on color.

November 13, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  200. Brian

I believe that it is correct to be historical correct... it gives a portal between now and the past.

November 13, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  201. Ezra

Historicly correct is better and more educational

November 15, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  202. Stacy

we should always have freedom because it is the best thing in america. in North Korea they do not have freedom.

November 16, 2009 at 2:52 pm |