September 30th, 2009

Recipe for Better Students?

Longer school days - and more of them - are not popular ideas with you.  (We blogged about this back in March, and 87 percent of you said that more time at school was NOT needed.)

President Obama and Education Secretary Arne Duncan feel differently.  They believe that more class hours would make American students more competitive in the world, though others say it's not more hours that are needed, but more motivation for students or more support from their parents.

I'm not sure there's a right answer here, but I would like to know your opinion:  What would make you a better student?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback
  1. Kirsten

I don't believe more class hours would make a better student. I believe that more motivation for students to do their work and try at school would make a better student in the long run. American students have gotten incredibly lazy and to compensate for that, teachers are making the work easier. It's a vicious cycle and more class hours are not going to change the laziness of American students; only the motivation or want to learn something will make students become better.

September 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Karissa:)

I think what would help students become better is to just think about graduation and there future that should motivate them/us.

September 30, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  3. Jesse

If there are more days added to the school week i bealive that less students will come on extra days.

September 30, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  4. Renee

If they add more hours to our school, there will be a lot more drop-outs than ever. That would take us away from our sports time and family, friends time. Why even make it harder on us?

October 1, 2009 at 6:51 am |
  5. Steven

I believe that shcool days should remain the same. Chaning the school days and making them longer will just make students not pay any more attention then how they are now. I think parents just need to step in and take control of how their children are doing in scool.

October 1, 2009 at 6:54 am |
  6. Abigail

I think that the school times are fine. If the time were to be extended, then the students that go here would get out of school at 4:30 and then the bus rides would make everyone get back at home around 5:00.

October 1, 2009 at 7:24 am |
  7. Lucas

I don't think that longer school days are the answer, or longer school years. I think that the best way to go would be to have later start times and later finish times. We all need more sleep and I'd rather stay in school later than go to bed sooner. I'd also like to point out that the argument for a longer school day sounds like it's planned to be more convenient for working PARENTS. I'm not sure that a better education is the focus of this plan.

October 1, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  8. Alexa

I think that a little bit longer school days are fine, but I don't like the longer school year at all. I believe that if we take away summer there will be a LOT more students drop out of school. I'm not saying I disagree with the longer school days, but I think that the summer should stay.

October 1, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  9. Nathan

I think that we should have normal days, like what we have now. Longer days, pathetic. Longer years, pathetic. My classmates and I agree that we should keep the days and year the same.

October 1, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  10. Kailey

I understand what the president and Arne are trying to do for us, but what their not thinking about is how we, as students, feel. Summer is a time for break and if we dont get breaks, how unhappy will we be?

October 1, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  11. Amy

I think its pointless and ridiculous that students have to deal with a longer day. Its already long enough, besides when you get home you usually have a massive load of homework. I think it's too hard on the kids. Parents shouldn't be so selfish they should actually think about how it makes the kid feel.

October 1, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  12. SD

More time in school is not a good idea. more school means more homework and were going to be tired the next day.

October 1, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  13. paul

I personally think It wouldn't be a good idea. The reason being Is kids get fidgety and they would get wrestles.

October 1, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  14. Ms.Renee

I don't believe more hours at school will help students. Put yourself in a kid shoes, more than 75% the population of students hate school as it is, on top of that about half of students ditch, you expect students to stay in school for longer, i doubt that could happen. Kids with after school programs, already have a hard time getting home and having to stay up peak hours to do homework, how do you expect kids to finish their class work, if their not getting home tell 9-10 at night.
    Plus the Economy is completely at a down turn right now, Money sucks, Business is slow, and teachers are getting fired. It seems these days, that all tax payers are paying for everything. The people that don't pay taxes have nothing to worry about, but you expect people to live with the little money that they get now, and your trying to continue to pull more money out. I think Obama is self-fish, immature, and really really rude. I think he thinks about himself, and no one else. he doesn't see the struggles everyone has to go through. He has it made for him, he just makes the rules and doesn't realize who is suffering.
    I don't think its a good idea at all. I don't think this is the right time to be thinking about any other ideas.

October 1, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  15. Mr.Sebela

Well, most of my students think that it is a bad idea. They don't like the idea of staying in school longer during the day or year. Personally I think the longer days could help our students catch up with the rest of the world as far as technology and scientific advancements.

October 1, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  16. Diondre

I think that having longer school days could be good in a way. Because if you are in school longer there is more money they would have to spend on school campus. Butt on the other hand being in school can give students more education and falling behind on tech knowledge than other countries.

October 1, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  17. howard

i think that it is not fair to have the school days longer because us students have things we have to do and what if are parents forget us at school then what do we do from there any way i think it to long to be in school for students to be in school for 60 hours a week what if we go crazy in class then what.But it is true that we learn more it can get us ready for college it can tell us more about what we need to know in a longer time period i would like to have a longer time school period because i could like to learn more because it would be more fun to hang out with the teachers

October 1, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  18. maxx

diz iz dum kuz it juz gonna make more people dorp out yall should leave the school alone and worry bot bigger and bettr things

October 1, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  19. Jake

Most kids would not like that to happen. I wouldn't like that, but in my nonstudent opinion it would be better for kids.

October 1, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  20. cristian

its stupid cuz skool is hard

October 1, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  21. Owen

I think we shouldn't stay in school longer because the summer is OUR TIME TO DO WANT WE WANT TO!!!!! So if u ruinin my schhol i will not be very happy

October 1, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  22. Victor

I guess longer school days would be better to make us better student.We would have more time at school and to be our teachers.But i don't think the longer school days are really nesessary.

October 1, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  23. cynthia

Longer school days.I don't think that we should have longer school days because I think that 7 hours a day is enough for all the students and plus some students are in sports and that is even more hours in school.Students think that 7 hours is enough because we have enough time in school we also have enough time in each class and we all study hard and we never give up.

October 1, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  24. Ramon

I think what will make me a better student is if we have longer school hours because it gives you more time to learn. I am already used to the 200 days a year.

October 1, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  25. Cladia

Well i really don't have nothing to say about this,because here at my school we already get 200 days a year. Although next year im going to go to high school i don't think i would want 180 days a year of school day. I think its too much hard work and a lot more homework. We work hard and i think we deserve a break once in a while. But yes education is most important and always comes first. well thats about it.

October 1, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  26. Warren

I Think Its dumb To Make It Longer More Kids Will Drop Out And Some Peoples Grades Like My Grades Will Get Lower

October 1, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  27. kristal

Well here at MCLA we already have 200 days of school, but when i go up to high school its going to be more hours, and i think its going to be more work for us.

October 1, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  28. Chancho

well my school has 20 days of school and were not the best from the county but i will say that if parents would motivate more their kids and would help them out with projects and with homework we can become better.

October 1, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  29. Hector

I think that they should make the school year longer because we the students are going to learn more.But in the other hand students may not like the idea because you would have to go to school more time and days.And also it would be bad because the teachers are going to get paid more.

October 1, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  30. Emigdio

I think it is going to b harder for us because their is going to be more tests and their is going to be more homework for every class. But if their is a longer school day then I am ready for it because I am used to it but I would not want that to happen but I am ready for it if it happens

October 1, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  31. Jair

I think more days of school will help our education because it'll give us more time to learn the topic we are learning in that class but then again the more school days might stress kids out.More school days will help us be better students.

October 1, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  32. Frank

i think longer school would suck
    because we would never have time too do anything

October 1, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  33. Jimmy

I would do it. The level of the students at my new school is sad. All the other schools I have been to started at 7:00AM and ended at 3:25PM.
    This is were learning starts to be a actual variable, than when people have short classes. Longer school days and longer years are a good thing.

October 1, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  34. +fluffy;.

i think the days should be longer because its better for us.

October 1, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  35. cody

i think it is really stupid because we should have a summer break

October 1, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  36. phat

I think they should not make the days longer because kids all ready have trouble making it threw a 6 and a half hour day and then we wouldnt beable to play sport on are time off.

October 1, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  37. colin

i think that should not be longer school days cause then we have more homework and if anything it should be shorter and school is boring as it is so longer school days are a bad idea

October 1, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  38. booger

Longer school would be a very bad Idea. The students wouldn’t pay attention. That is outrageous. I think the students should vote. And if we did have longer school I think we get to pick our classes and add some. We should have school for 6 months and summer for 6 months. I say that school shouldn’t be that long! WE NEED A BREAK!

October 1, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  39. molly

i think that we should all get iur work done so we can have our sports, summer ! (: that would blow if we didnt , you dont even know so i hole he doesnt take it away from us

October 1, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  40. Alfred the 3rd

School for longer? This would be ridiculous we already have to be in school for 9 months and only summer for 3. If anything we should have 6 months for the summer, and 6 months for the school year. We are already in school for 6 hours ant they want us to go longer just so are parents can go to work. WE NEED A BREAK!!!!!!!

October 1, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  41. Freda

OK!!!!!!!!!!! LONGER SCHOOL DAYS AREN’T GOING TO HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kids don’t need to have longer hours of school, we already have homework! As if we want more! We have school for nine out of twelve months! If we have school longer than six hours, we might go insane!!!!!!!! No joke! Plus, if the taxes are going to pay for our longer periods, our parents pay for all that! Some families don’t have enough money as it is! Like we have money to pay for a longer school day!

October 1, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  42. Jalepeno

I think that we dont need to have longer school days or hours because we are already smarter than the french kids and the spanish kids so we dont need longer school days

October 1, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  43. DESTINY:)

School sucks don’t make it any worse by extending the days and the year homework is just like being at school cause you have to do work

October 1, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  44. Billybob

I don’t think that a longer day is going to help us. Some kids can’t sit that long. Maybe since I have to go to school, I’m against it, but either way I really don’t think that will help anything. I feel that maybe we should find a fun, easy way how to teach kids to do stuff. We should treat the kids instead of punishing them to a longer school day. Most kids don’t enjoy school too much, and they defiantly won’t like it anymore if you make them stay in it longer than they are willing to!
    I AM AGAINST THIS!!!!!!

October 1, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  45. kendall

i think if kids had ext music classes like band or if they were aloud to bring Ipods to class (our school doesnt aloud ipods in class) When they work i think our education would go up so Obama needs to make a better bill of edu.

Mcdoanlds for lunch wouldnt be that bad ether

October 1, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  46. Sasuke

Alright people, this is coming from an eighth grader so you can just blow it off and say I dont know better. But I think that what we need is NOT more hours of 'learning'(which for most students consists of staring blankly into space and daydreaming), but maybe making the content of our lessons more entertaining. If you try to interest us by bringing up more relatable things than "Sue walks four blocks east and nine blocks north to Ann's house", maybe we'd pay more attention and become better students. If you want to improve our work ethics, than try and show how this particular lesson could help us out in the real world, and not just the confines of school.

October 1, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  47. Anonymous

We absolutely positively do NOT need more school hours. In order to become a better student, we should not be sent to school for longer because still, we will not pay attention. We will just be learning the same boring stuff, just for longer. If teachers made the learning fun (some do), we would pay more attention and remember what we are learning. (Ie; when teachers make up funny slogans for us to remember, we remember.)

October 1, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  48. sam

Nonononononononononono!!! That world is trouble because we don’t need that at all we are having an enough time we don’t need it at all. The time is fine but come on we don’t need it!!!!!

October 1, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  49. shawn

keeping the school days and hours exactly the way they are

October 1, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  50. Christopher

Longer school days and longer school years would be the most retarded thing I have ever heard. School already sucks enough, and everyone needs a break between all of it. Homework is like having school at home, which can sometimes last all night.

October 1, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  51. JOEY

i think the ideah of a longer school day would rip off tax payers like you and me no one would like to have longer school have a survey of kids and see what happens 0 will will say you should . go ahead and see longer school people come here for easier school if you do about 30% of the population leave.

October 1, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  52. Josh!!!!!

What would make a better student is that schools became more fun to go to. Im not talking about fun like an amusment park but not so straight foward like sitting in a seat for 45 mins and and getting lectured to everyday. The schools need to have group activites and programs other than sports and games, most kids dont want to go to school becuse of it being so boreing.

October 1, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  53. sasha

prizes for studing beecause that just might motivate students to study, also make draws for people who ace big tests.

October 1, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  54. George

I dont like short school days so I will hate longer school days even worse.

October 1, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  55. cameron

i think the school day should stay the same because i think kids need to be more social and spend more time with there parents.

October 1, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  56. Zach

I do not think school hours should be longer because some of use already have to get up at 6am AND if we go longer in school i think people will be exhausted and i think that it will be dark by the time that school and the after school activity. that is exacly why i think it will be bad to make school longer

October 1, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  57. zach

I think that we shouldent have longer school days because there long enough and we need time after school to do sports and hang out with friends

October 1, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  58. hi

uh i dont think you should make a longer school year of longer school hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!Dont thats mean!!

October 1, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  59. peter

I think that it would be a horrible idea.. I think that school is already long enough. And if it gets longer then taxes will get higher and then every one will pay for it

October 1, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  60. Paco

I am a student right now and I am already SUPER tired from the normal school days. I would not be able to make longer days. Also, the summer is the time for rest and vacation. If they do not give the students time for vacation, parents are going to just take their kids out of school so they do miss school. America should keep the school hours just how they are.

October 1, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  61. Tinkerbellll !

My STRONG opinion is that we could have longer school days... but we would cut down the home work. We could have more ans & hours, but not cut in to the social and physical (athletics) THATS MY STRONG OPINION

October 1, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  62. Koby

No, that would be absolutely terrible to sit in class for more
    hours of the day and more months, too. Also, while having our summer break taken away from all of us students.

October 1, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  63. ILOVEMJ

Longer school day is the dumbest idea I have ever heard.
    Kids have a life too. Do u remember when u were a kid and your parents said be a kid while u can…well half of being a kid is having fun…SCHOOL ISNT FUN!!!!!

October 1, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  64. lizz

I think we should have the same amount of hours for a day, but just more days. After about a month or two of summer vacation, I start to get very bored. I wouldn’t mind going to school early from summer vacation or going into summer vacation later. I like being in school for 6 hours a day but I wouldn’t mind having a lot more days of school.

October 1, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  65. bob

I think that making school longer is a dumb idea. It is dumb because we are already going five days a week. We are there for six hours a day. It will make us indoors for most of the day. So we would get home late in the afternoon. We would also get more homework and less time to do it.

October 1, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  66. PAT

I think we should have school for a week, then have a week off, and maybe we should get paid to go to school to. Also, with the school year I currently have, I’m getting straight A’s, so maybe just keep every thing the same for the “B+” and above students and give the other people the help they should get.

October 1, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  67. Lafanda

My opinion for the longer days and school years is NO!!!! School stresses me out as it is. I am very busy after school too, I go to bed at like 10 because i dont get done with my sports and stuff until 9:30! Just imagine going to school for another hour or two, I wouldnt be getting to bed until like 11:00. Kids need their sleep. I think its a bad idea. And its not going to make us smarter? Ifs its that what you people think your all crazy. And i also think that as we get older than people gets jobs and stuff and if your in school longer than its harder to work. It would drive people insane without a summer too!! I would die if their was no summer,

October 1, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  68. Gwen

OK, it would be WAY too overwhelming. some people have things they need to do. with more school hours i wouldn't be able to be in after school sports and still maintain my grades. 2 days on the weekend isn’t enough time to finish all homework because people have things to do on the weekend. this is a stupid idea.

October 1, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  69. Erik

I think we shouldnt we shouldnt have a longer school year and classes. Parents wouldnt like it if we where there parents and we made them have longer school years and classes. We already go to school 180 days thats enough. We also need time to do sports.

October 1, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  70. cass

I think that it would not be a good idea to have a longer school week, day, and year. We will have to pay a lot of money to just keep the school running each an every day. With the economy like it is, we will have to cut back on a lot of necessary things. Having a longer everything for school will make a lot of parent’s jobs hard. I think that just because it will make a bunch of parents happier, because they are able to not stop their work day is not worth it. If a parent loves and cares for there kids education they will take the time in the day to go and pick up their kid(s). Having longer schooldays wouldn’t be so bad, but at least we could have more activities in the day.

October 1, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  71. Kenzi

We may have the shortest school days in the world, but it works for us. We're smart, aren't we? Some people need an escape. Not everyone can be social 24 hours a day 365 days a year and not everyone needs the extra work. Why do people think we need more school? It doesn't help us. If there's going to be any change, we're going to get worse because we'll get bored of school and loose our focus. I personally look forward to summer vacation because it's time I get to spend in my own house, in my own room, with my own stuff. There's no point behind taking it all away. They might as well take us away from our lives and cage us in school.

October 1, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  72. bianca

i think that longer days at school would suck. i will b home schooled if that happend and high school i will get my g.e.d. that is a stupid idea.

October 1, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  73. senjin

no more school hours and days

October 1, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  74. bianca

if kids have longer day in school that means they have less time to hang out with friends, sleep, do homework, and other stuff. if they add more school days every single kid will most likely drop out of school and get homed schooled. i know i was.

October 1, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  75. jon

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!! I am not going to school for longer hours! I appreciate that the president is concerned with what were doing but in the same respect we cant handle more hours . we need to level this out, such as maybe we can a longer school year and keep the hours the same or vice versa . but mainly we need to negotiate something reasonable and fair

October 1, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  76. Alex

I think that school should not be longer it should stay the same I don’t want to go to school and extra 4 hrs just to get some more education that is stupid… I wont be able to play any sports I like because im busy in school that’s stupid… I love to play sports I play them everyday and if im stuck in school I wont be able too play and that will really suck .. so please doing not make our school year longer and our school days longer.

October 1, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  77. johnny

I think the longer school is lame because longer days and hours would mean more homework which is not good! We should have Monday off and have the school day way longer. I don’t think the teachers want to deal with the students that long. The cost of making school longer would very high. And our school district is already not doing well with money. And our parents don’t want to pay more taxes! NO LONGER SCHOOL!

October 1, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  78. Elizabeth

I agree with the President. We need to be more educated. This will help us out in the real world and we will be more wise then early generations. School is fun; there are social aspects of it and learning ones too. School is great for us and I hope they pass this law

October 1, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  79. levi

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! It totally sucks if we had more school time it would cut into our social life. And another thing were not kids forever we should have time to play and hang with friends and play video games. It’s pretty stupid and rude of people to try to take our fun.

October 1, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  80. levi

I think they can make school longer as long as we get a longer summer

October 1, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  81. ethan

This is lame but, but we can go to school Monday through Thursday and add on to are school days

October 1, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  82. Ness

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going to school longer would cause a problem for the kids who do activities after school which would cause getting homework done later then that makes them going to bed later. I do NOT want to go to school longer!!!!!!!!!!!

October 1, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  83. Lydia

I think that staying in school is not going to work out so well especially for kids like me when I go to see my dad for the summer I wont be able to see him as much. Also kids will get bored just sitting there listening to the teacher talk and that isn’t going to help there grades. And for the kids who do sports they aren’t going to have any free time with sports and more homework you guys are crazy to think this will improve.this is not going to end pretty!

October 1, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  84. Hilly

Extending school years, and ending Christmas will not be a good idea because students won’t be able to stay awake that long, end up in detention everyday, and there would be much more homework. It is not needed, and some students would drop out.

October 1, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  85. Jonny

I think it is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very stupid that they expect us to go to school for that long. For one we would have to raise the taxes and that would be bad. I thought Obama wanted to have less American debt. Us kids need the summer break to relax and have some fun and we can’t have any fun if were stuck in a school all year. And 9 hours!!! That is crazy we don’t have any time to sleep or have fun….we need to be able to have fun wile were young.

October 1, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  86. Mckayla

I think that’s its not a good idea or even an okay one. Students don’t need longer school hours. If Obama is so concerned about students doing better then choose criteria that isn’t so hard. Longer school days means that kids will probably go to online schooling and or turn to home schooling. The statistics for kids dropping out will skyrocket. I mean I would do home schooling because it’s just stupid. And, more school days? Really? Weekends are the only days we get to be kids. So you want us to go to school 24/7? I don’t think so. Even parents would hate the idea. Weekends are the only days where parents can actually see there kids. And there’s always a commercial out about how parents need to spend more time with their kids right? well taking away the only 2 days they have will just make those matter worse don’t you think? To me this is just a complete idiotic idea that should be turned down immediately. Thank you 🙂

October 1, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  87. tiffany

It would not make me a better student I would get bored and not pay attention if we had longer days and more days. That usually means that there is more homework which would mean heavier bags which means to back problems (at least what my doctor said), and when there is more homework people still have lives and other important stuff to do during the day other than school and homework. But there are some people that don’t get all of their homework done already with more it would just cause students to fail classes and maybe even to be held back. I think that the more school the more homework the more students will not want to participate during school. Plus Kids need there activities out side of school like sports and hanging out like a kid should. Adults have to work but they got their play time when they were kids and we students should to. There for all our parents turned out with fine in education and our presidents did the same they probably did not go to school longer as us students in 2009. Plus the more time and days that students are or would drop out or skip school more than they have already.

October 1, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  88. Bleh

October 1, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  89. Addie

Longer days means staying longer and then five days a week the only thing we will ever have time to do is go to school. Also, if the days are longer than kids won’t have enough time for athletic things like sports. So sure kids might have more education but they will no longer be as healthy.

October 1, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  90. jon

im sorrry but kids would end up getting sick of homework and eventually get fed up and be overwhelmed and that would increase the chance of protests and bad attitude and also it would shorten weeekends and make your childhood go bye.

October 1, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  91. tina

there are already alot of good students in the U.S. and if we get more hours AND days then that will affect how we act. Cause if we dont like it then most the time we will get braty and be rude and also not even try as hard. But another reason we shouldn't get longer shool days and hours is because it will affect our social lives and how we act around our parents. Kids dont usually want to hang around with parents, but as soon as we get less time to socialize with our friends our parents would tell us to stay at home and we would not be able to go to other peoples houses. Unless they really didn't care but that is unlikely. The way the president and the Education Secretary are making up new laws is retarded. If they had to stay at school longer they would probably hate it as much as all of us do. Personally i think that getting a "higher education" consists of more attention span and not thinking of things other than the class we are in and what the teacher is trying to talk about. The longer days and hours will also effect how much tax payers pay and if that certain tax payer doesnt make that much money then that would be pretty bad. But if they just give us more hours and less days then that would be better. other reasons would be that more kids would drop out and skip. not enough rest would mess us up too. same with violence. we tend to get violent when we dont really get wat we want. we can mess up our lives because of longer hours and more days because we WOULD drop out and wont pay attention. I think it sucks that the kids in china and japan should just get less time and if the president and E.S. want to raise the time. they should do it slowly..

October 1, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  92. Rianne

I think that we should probably have longer school days, so that we could fit with the rest of the world. I also think that that would cause a problem because all of students in the USA will most likely be losing their summer because of this policy that President Obama and The Secreratary of Education think might work. I see alot of problems happening like students skipping school, drop out of school, and most likely start losing their educations. The longer school days might also bring on alot of homework that just might be tooo overwhelming to the kids of this nation. I can also see how this could work for the economy so that kids might have a great job in the future, but also seeing it not work because of how students would lose their summer. Summer is what us students look forward to after school because you can have like 2 months of free time away from teachers, school, and going walking up extremely early. ME for example, i wake up at 3:30 everyday so that i can get ready for school that starts at 7:55 or 8:00. I am so used now to having a 6 hour school day and having 36 hours a week, that changing that schedule might be very hard and harsh to some students sleeping habits. I am stuck between wondering if this might work or if this might cause a problem. The worst part i think that is if the student of the world start to rebel. I think that President Obama should consider the possibility that maybe we should make the school hours start at like 5:30 possibly and end maybe at like 3:30. But that might also take away our out of school activities like sports, study halls, and jobs. So he should consider the thoughts and let the students of The US vote wither or not we should extend our school hours and days.

October 1, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  93. Sydney

There are many things that can make someone a better student but more school days is not one of them. The things that will make a young person a better student are things that that person needs to improve themselves.
    Adding more school days would just make more students dislike school even more then they already do. Kids love to have fun and hang out with people that they feel comfortable around. At school you are taken out of your comfort zone and many kids don’t like that. They like to spend their free time doing stuff that they want to do, but most kids are still willing to go to school either to hang out with their friends or to make sure they have a chance at a higher education.
    Having more hours will give students more homework which will make the students more irritable. Upset students will be giving teachers a hard time and that will make the teachers frustrated. Already some students stay up late at night trying to finish their homework. When you add more homework kids are losing the ten hours of sleep that they are supposed to be getting. That will make them start sleeping in class more often.

October 1, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  94. Leprechaun

I think that we should not have longer school days or longer school years because more kids would drop out or skip more school days than they should. Even though President Obama has 2daughters he doesn't know all the other kids around the states. He needs to study the psychology of students around the US.

October 1, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  95. Brittany

I don't think that this will work because I don't think the teachers or students will let this pass. The teachers at the schools wouldn't have time to do anything they needed to for schools and they wouldn't have any time for their families or friends. Neither would the students. They wouldn't have time for homework or family or friends if they made them go to school everday, Saturday and Sunday, and during the summer for more hours. I know they mean well but this won't work out.

October 1, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  96. kevo

I think its bad because maybe students have to go to work.

October 1, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  97. jason

i think that i would be a better student if we had a better football team

October 1, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  98. Maurice

I think that it would make less students come to school. Many kids don't go to school and ditch because school is long but longer school days will help students become more competitive even though anybody doesn't want to be at school longer.

October 1, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  99. michelle

i think that the school should not be longer. because i think school is already boring and if school does get longer all hell will get loose.

October 1, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  100. mathew

I think that there shouldn't be more school days or more time, that would not be cool because of more education and more students not going to school!

October 1, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  101. Emily

Kids should not get out of school later because we have already adjusted to this schedule and don't want to have to change it. Also my cousin goes to school year round but she still gets the smae amount of days off. Some kids have troubles and don't have enough time to do there homework in this amount of time so a longer school day would make it even worse. Kids need their free time.

October 1, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  102. SCHOOL

More school would be bad because if you stay for after school activities later but you have an out of school activity after that you might miss the activity becuase you were at school to long, longer summers would also be bad because kids need time to hang out and not be as stressed and try new things and anyways there are books that you can buy to work in over the summer

October 1, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  103. Hope

i think that Barrack Obama has a good idea, but i do not agree with it. Longer school days are not a good idea for students in middle school and high school. The students are already very overwhelmed with homework, and adding to that is not good. If we have more time in school, and longer school days, all of the pupils will just look foward to the end of the day. and they wouldn't focus on the work that they have to do.

October 1, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  104. Gabby

It is so unfair! Sure adults might think it is a good idea, but are they the ones that have to go to school, NO! Students already have so much homework, and extra activities, like sports or student council. More hours in the day means more homework. So our life would be; wakeup, school, dinner, homework, sleep. That's not much of a life! And how are students supposed to stay active and participate in sports if they have no time! Also, we would have to wake up early and be in school long, so we'd always be tired.
    Longer school years are also unneccasary because, us kids, need a break!! Summer is a good time to sit back and relax both our minds and bodies.
    I am a good student, but my grades might lower if I was always tired from work in school.
    What do you think Carl? I hope that you agree with me! =]

October 1, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  105. Joey

I think that its a dumb idea. I have an sports and open gyms for sports, and i barely have time to do anything else. So for that to happen it better not come into my state!

October 1, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  106. Hannah

I think we should keep the school system we have right now. If we stayed in school longer daily, teachers would not have time to prepare for the next day and students would not have time for extra curricular activities. And if we had a shorter or no summer, then kids would never get a break from school. If kids never got a break from school, then they would get tired and would not be trying as hard.

October 1, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  107. muhammad

I think the more school days and more hours is horrible. My child doesn’t need more homework than he already does.

October 1, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  108. Anonymous

I don’t think that we should have to come to school any more then we are. For me to be a better student I think we should come to school later and get out at 3:00 and start at 8:00.

October 1, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  109. Anonymous

i think that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard i think we have a great education i liked until know

October 1, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  110. bob

I think that what would make me a better student is more time to do homework with the teachers help.

October 1, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  111. Emily

I think that we should go to school just as much as we do right now. I think that we are learning enough. I think we could go a little longer but defiantly not more days five is enough as it is. We already have enough stuff to do after school and we don’t need 2 more days of homework.

October 1, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  112. G$

I think that having longer days in school is the worst thing n the world. If this passes I think I might cry because I hate school. I like the school days just the way they are.

October 1, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  113. batman

i think that we should go to school longer because we can learn more and get better educations so we can help our country out more and make our planet better. but we already spend a lot of time at school and some students strugle so if we made our school day/year longer the students are more likley to strugle even more.

October 1, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  114. Anonymous

I think this is stupid and all I have to do is commit my self better. i like my free time and then i still have some time to finish homework.

October 1, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  115. Pretty

First of that think that we should stay in school for 5 days a week not 6 or 7. I don’t care if we go longer every day. Just not longer weeks. If we go longer days than I think the time should be added in the morning not in the afternoon. We could start at 7:00 and end at 3:00. Just don’t make us go to school on Saturday. Or Sunday. Also I think that the schools should listen to the kids. If there is a teacher that no students like and there is a good reason for it they should fire the teacher and get a good teacher that teaches a lot.

October 1, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  116. Bobby

I think we could use another week of school and about an extra hour of school each day, but sometimes our teacher gives us a lot of homework and it take some time. So it would be a little bit harder but I think we could handle the challenge. If we could limit the use of computers and cell phones I think our grades would go up.

October 1, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  117. lucey

I think that it will make it worst if you have longer days because then there will be more home work, but less time. Then for the kids that like sports to add that to all the home work they will be over whelmed. I think to make a better school and a better student you should just keep it the way it is, but maybe add more activities so the students will be more interacted in there school work. Then to just get the students and teachers to focus.

October 1, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  118. SUPERWOMEN

I think the school system is fine the way it is... the parents might aprove of kids going to school longer. But i am still in school and i think we should be in school the way we are now.If we went into school longer we would most likely be getting more homework. Some of the kids that already go to school think and say the homework we get now is a little to over welming. Plz do not change the schools hours.

October 1, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  119. carl

I think that longer school days and more days is horrible. We already have tons of homework after school anyways. We need to be able to have weekends too.

October 1, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  120. ray

I think this is a great idea. With longer hours we will learn more and have more opportunities in the future. Summers should be shortened because 3 months is a lot of time to be away from any sort of education. Kids are more familiar with technology than school. Many kids say they would hate this idea know, but when they are older they would have appreciated it. They are doing this for are benefit so when you are older you can be successful.

October 1, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  121. Donky

I think that most kids are good students they just don't try. I personaly think that there is no need for extra school. Most kids have lots of sports after school and not a lot of time for extra school and more homework.

October 1, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  122. BoomShaccaLacca

What would make me a better student is if school was fun. In some way teachers should make it more fun or give more time in lunch to hang out with friends. If school ended at 4 it would be kinda better, but it would need more extra time.

October 1, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  123. Luigi (:

I think that most people don’t try when it comes to learning in school. I truly believe that we should school extend the length of the year. Students will gain more knowledge and still have a summer.

October 1, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  124. zack

definetly not. Can't we just enjoy some fun in these days instead of being cooped up in a classroom?

October 1, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  125. Hunter

Personally, I don't think more school hours would help. And on making me a better student.....I'm blank.

October 1, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  126. Jack

I don't think more school is the anwser. I just think that kids should do their work when they have to.

October 1, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  127. ME

I think are system is fine how it is. If we do change it will be a while until it actually works.

October 1, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  128. Sara

To make us better students I don’t think they should make it longer, for then students will feel more pressured to do homework or if they should even go at all. Students can also be more tired and less able to focus in their classes.

October 1, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  129. elaine

i thought that the long er scchool year was a good idea but we should ont be doing it until are economy has gotteh all there money back.

October 1, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  130. nathen

If schooldays are longer it makes it easier for working parents, but harder on students who participate in extra curciccular activities like football, baseball, and others. Because if you have more homework, and more homework means less time to do homework and you might have to drop those activities to keep up in school.

October 1, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  131. Jaker

What would make me a better student is to be able to have more elective time so that school doesn't seem so boring and it would energize me for the rest of the school day.

October 1, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  132. lucy

I feel that I rather be home schooled then have more school because
    if we don't have weekends off kids will go crazy. And if we don't have we don't have summer of how are we going to pass are grades.

October 1, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  133. Cole

I say no no because it would make kids dread school they need to have time at home as well.

October 1, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  134. bobby

i think that if they are going to make a longer school day, week, or year that since that is going to cost even more money for elcectricity and such. the students should not have any homework. that may just sound like an excuse to some people but if you think about how much paper costs and if the school doesn't have recycling bins or boxes that also is just another big pile in landfills.

October 1, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  135. Lupita

I agree with Kirsten. If more students tried harder they would learn more. Keeping us in school longer only takes away time that we could spend with our family or friends. Working kids too much burns them out and they have no time for other activities like time with their family and just having fun. Some kids do activities that are not part of the school and with longer school days those kids wouldn't have time for such activities. We need time to peruse interests that are not school related. Who knows, if we make the school days longer a kid destined to be the next great artist or writer may not realize their full potential because they didn't have any time between longer school days and more homework. Getting rid of summer vacation and weekend breaks and making classes longer is just crazy. Maybe making school days shorter and taking away summer or just making school days longer, but not both. Turning the kids of America into little robots who spent all their time in school isn't going to get our country anywhere.

October 1, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  136. trevor

what are they thinking. are they really that crazy! i think school is good and all but more days. if they pass this bill i will come to school on saturday. it takes me an hour to get home i get home at 5:10 -5:20 PM. if they make it longer i know im not getting home until 6 or 7. to make a better student keep things they are know. keep us entertained, keep us interested. try to actually motivate us,.

October 1, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  137. Jimmy

I think that more school days is better bacause you learn more.

October 1, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  138. justin

i want to know if schools around the world are learning more with longer days. Is the extra time used for just fun and games? Also, longer school mean's more money and we should be grateful for the way we are because some kids can't even go to school. I think we should keep it the way it is now.

October 1, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  139. ;) Sarah

I believe that if we have longer school days and a longer school year will create chaos to the students. They would be less intrested in going, and would eventually drop out.

October 1, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  140. angelagh

I think that longer school day's will make better progress and smarter students. It would enhance the students' learning abitilities. I still think that we should have Saturday, Sunday, Holidays, and 3 week long breaks throughout the year off, but at least an 8 hour day sounds fair.

October 1, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  141. Alex

I feel that we don't need to have longer school days. What we need is motivation. Kids will work harder in school if they are encouraged by their parents.

October 1, 2009 at 7:37 pm |
  142. Matthew

I dont think they should make school days longer. They need to lets spend times with our parents. We should have the same amount of summer vacation.

October 1, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  143. karleigh

I do not think students should stay after school just for compatition. If students want to stay after they can but, everyone shouldn't have to. I do not want to stay after!!! I am a fith grader. They should spend their money on different stuff, for example, supplies, new books, more sports equipment for girls and boys.

October 1, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  144. DGreen

I am currently a senior in highschool and every year I see my friends give up in school. The reason why they give up so easily is because teachers or staff members make it seem as if they have no chance of graduating. Also most every teacher stress kids to the point were they want to just give up on life. I know it's good to know about reality but it is always better to hear the positive. Most students don't get enough encouraging and motivating words.

October 1, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  145. McKenna

I don't think that they should make children go to school in the summer because then they don't get to go on trips to visit family members.

October 1, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  146. victoria

I think school districks should not add more school days or add any hours.Because somtimes you need a break from school!

October 1, 2009 at 8:43 pm |
  147. emily

I think kids should not stay in school longer beacause it can be overwelming.I think kids should get more homework and put some lessons into it.

October 1, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  148. jesse#2

I totally disagree with Jesse, in fact, I think what he said is total boguss. And he spelled the word "believe" wrong. Get a dictionary buddy.

October 1, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  149. Alicia

I have very strong opinions when it comes to these sort of issues. I do not think we should stay in school longer because it effects us in many ways. The first reason is that it will effect our behavior. If we stay in school longer in the day... then we will all want to get out faster. I know that at the end of the day all of us don't get as better grades as we do in the morning. I think that the schedule should stay the same for the days. As for our social time... I think it will decrease our social behaviors. Already teachers yell at us for talking too much, when do they expect us to talk? We will be getting out at 4ish, then to sports or hobbies will end around 6ish, then dinner and homework, then friends at midnight? It won't work.

October 1, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  150. anonymous

thats great an all but what if the schools dont offer that many clubs?
    my school has 0 clubs! not everyone is a jock so why pressure kids with the ultimatum of join a sports team or spend 12 hours a day in school?

October 1, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  151. Maisy

In my opinion, I think that longer school days would actually help keep American students from falling behind the students in other countries. And, help our country to stay as successful as it has been for the past 200 or so years. But, I also think that longer school days would cause more stress on American students and probably demotivate them from trying their hardest. I think that if they do make school days longer, then they should do so little by little to give students enough time to adjust to this new change.

October 1, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  152. Ryan

I think School Days should stay the same. I think its stupid that we need to go to on saturdays, if we are. JUST LET US GO! We get enough education anyway. LET US BE KIDS!

October 2, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  153. Alan

I think kids should not stay in school longer because it is already long.

October 2, 2009 at 9:27 am |
  154. Matt

Kids are are ready on edge and responding to stress and pressure from their parents, along with the fact in high school kids in AP classes are skipping lunch to manage all of the work they are given. The last thing they need is more school hours.

October 2, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  155. Jillian

Kids should NOT be put in school longer, my school only gets a 10 minute recess and we can't sit with our friends at lunch! I can't go another couple of hours in school. I agree with Emily (except for the more homework part) I'm nopt trying to sound like a person who hates school, I love it! I have after school activities

October 2, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  156. bobby

i think that if we are going to have longer school days then we should have no homework because with all the after school activites that i, and other students participate in. It would be hard to have an extra couple hours of school then doing a load of homework!

October 2, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  157. kris

i would not like to have longer school days but i would like motivation from the parents and teachers. it would give me more confidence and help me in school.

October 2, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  158. ryan

i think longer hours are not needed bcause people just need the right kind of education.

October 2, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  159. Frances

ok. no way hosayy. no more school is needed. lol i l;ike school but i need summer and weekends.... uggh oh pllz do NOT change itt

October 2, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  160. Catie

i think we are in school long enough. by the end of the day we are watching the clock.

October 2, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  161. Abel

Wow some people are just crazy longer school you should. No wonder you said this you are probably not that smart.

October 2, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  162. Erik

I don't think longer school days would make us smarter at all I just think the lazy kids need to get up and try to be smarter.

October 2, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  163. joe

School is good as it is.

October 2, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  164. Holly

I dont Think we need more school hours we already have 7 hours a day 5 days a week!!!!!!!!

October 2, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  165. Rebecca

I think that there should not be longer school days or school years. Kids who are not doing well academically can get tutors or study more often. I think if the country makes kids stay in school longer, the schools will need to have more creative arts or athletic periods so they are not learning just what is written down in textbooks. Also, the teachers probably do not want to spend an extar 10 hours a week at school.

October 2, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  166. Dacoda

more hours would make students try less and disagree with their family life worst!

October 2, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  167. Madi

I think that prehaps two days every month during summer, of school would be good, however it sickens me to think of going to school in the heat. Longer days would mean more homework, which is terrible! What about our chores? We wont have any time for fun.

October 2, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  168. Utau

Longer hours are NOT needed, I mean Japanese students go to school for less hours than us and they're one of the countries on top! They just go all year with long breaks, so they are still learing over the summer and don't have that lapse where they learn nothing. To make a better student, in my honest opinion, I say "less homework", half the time it's just a burden that teaches nothing, which is probably one reason why kids aren't motivated. Who wants to work and work and work all day then come home and do more?! We also need more hands-on activities, instead of just book work we should also be taught practical skills like balancing a checkbook or doing taxes and bank work and home economics/cooking as an elective. Skills that'll prepare us for the REAL world.

Another reason we are not motivated is proably not having alot of support from teachers and parents. Most of the time it's just "do this, do that," over and over again or we get in trouble! Making school more like torture instead of fun. And how will longer days affect sports teams and kids with jobs? Think about that! Another thing that would definetly help is more money for computers and such in schools, especially MY high school (I'm a junior) instead of giving all the money to sports teams. I mean, I know they bring in the most income but computers benifit EVERYONE, even those not so athletic.

PS. Nap time would help too, especially for middle and high schoolers, we need nap time more than kindergarteners, they play half the day and we work!!-But that's never going to happen, is it?

*Utau*

October 2, 2009 at 8:45 pm |
  169. alex

I think that kids could be better by
    going to school and paying attention in class.

October 2, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  170. Brea

I think we are doing just fine with school now. Longer time in school could cause more drop outs in my eyes. I WILL still leave school at 3:00

October 2, 2009 at 9:37 pm |
  171. Kala

I believe that the longer school days is not a good idea. Longer school days mean more homework, which means less time for any extracurricular activities. It's best to keep it the same.

October 2, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  172. Rachel

I believe that to make the student work better, you need to modivate them. i heard that this school in D.C. pays their students money if they get good grades. They r like, one of the top schools in that district. i know i'd try my hardest if it was for cash! 😉

October 2, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  173. Chance

Students don't exactly need longer school grades. In fact, if school teachers weren't such a jerk sometimes (not in all cases), I am sure the students would not feel as pressured.

October 2, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  174. katie

I think extending school hours is not needed because if teachers just teach the right stuff and concentrate on each childs own weak spot then kids might do better. and if teachers used thier class time better then it would give them a lot more time

October 3, 2009 at 12:49 am |
  175. Elizabeth

To be honest I don't think they should do this because then kids would never actually have the chance to be kids. Most kids would also have to drop out of extra curriculm activities and sports. With out this stuff we wouldn't be active. So yes in some ways it would be good but to me, over all, it wouldn't be the best thing. If we do extend school days and years, I truly don't think we should extend it too long! But, whatever we do I guess it is for the best!

October 3, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  176. Elizabeth

Another point is that they would have to pay more money for supplies, and they have to pay the teachers, electrical bills and many more things!

October 3, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  177. Anonymous

longer school days that's nothing but capital Boring if you know what i mean.

October 3, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  178. Aaron

That is nothing but a waste of time and they won't get to see their familys.

That's nothing but capital Boring if you know what i mean.

Why did the skulliton cross the road? He didn't have any guts.

October 3, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  179. Devynn

School is hard enough as it is. I think it should stay the same. I also think all the homework and lessons we get is overwhelming. I say we need breaks sometimes.

October 3, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  180. Kira

I think that this idea is equal, Its good for parents and the President because of the reasons already told. But its bad for kids because they would get more homework, and you know us kids we need some run around time after school so when we need to get down with the books we wont be all hyper while doing homework.

October 3, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  181. Nathan

I think that is just rong

October 3, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  182. Kayla

Longer school day might be better, but i think that once students hear that there will be, they will be in some type of rebellion and not go, or not pay attention, or just lose focus for sitting in a class longer. So either way the school days go, I don't think our education will change. To be a better student, I think teachers should persuade us to do this with some type of reward. Some people may not think it's right that students are being rewarded, but it means they'll do their assignment or they'll stay focused so they learn the topic.

October 3, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  183. Kayla

Longer school day might be better, but i think that once students hear that there will be, they will be in some type of rebellion and not go, or not pay attention, or just lose focus for sitting in a class longer. So either way the school days go, I don’t think our education will change. To be a better student, I think teachers should persuade us to do this with some type of reward. Some people may not think it’s right that students are being rewarded, but it means they’ll do their assignment or they’ll stay focused so they learn the topic.

October 3, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  184. Cailin

i Think strict teachers but less work would be better and motavate the students,because they have teachers that care,But the dont have as much stress on them.

October 3, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  185. Brian

I went to boarding school so there was always a cost to the buildings. I did not pick up on the report that this would include private schools.

October 3, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  186. michelle

obama or who ever made up longer days of school i dont agree with your opinion so DONT MAKE SCHOOLS LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  187. Josh

I think ,ore school days are better. Some people may think otherwise but the longer in school, the more you can learn.

October 4, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  188. Michelle

I firmly believe that to improve students ability to achieve great things in their lives is to improve the quality of courses being taught at schools. Excessive study halls and the ability to take late arrival and early release is a way for students to get out of taking courses in high school that can help their college education. Also, the student, the parents and the faculty at the schools need to be motivated in having the students achieve his or her best. Without that, students won't improve.

October 4, 2009 at 8:51 am |
  189. Meghan

I don't think we need longer school days. I think what kids need are nice,peppy, and are GOOD teachers. Having a teacher who is boring makes kids not want to pay attention, if we all had teachers who made us want to pay attention I think kids would pay attention and do better on tests.

October 4, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  190. melanie

I think students should not have longer days of school because right now i am currently in middle school and I feel that we are in school to long because my head is always hurting at the end of the day.

October 4, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  191. micheal

hi ,i think that longer school days suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's a waste of tax payers money

October 4, 2009 at 6:54 pm |
  192. Natali

Longer school day?
    Kids don't need longer school days. We have enough work already. School, then homework, then our parents sometimes make us read, and do more homework, so we can become smarter. If we have a longer school day, we should at least not have homework. Also, if we have more school days, then we wont be able to go to camp, or have some fun in our lives.

October 4, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  193. Magdy

Having more school hours would not help with education, it would only make you do worst in school.
    Say you do your homework at 4:45 and then you study the rest of the time and read books, which is me, your not benefiting anything to have longer school hours and occuping more of your sleeping time to study and read and do homework, and having a longer school our is not only hiring the pay of substitutes and coaches and teachers, but taxes is suppose to be used for evironmental stuff and research and new schools, not for the electricity.
    One bad idea of Obama's, but he does good and helps to improve the world day after day, I could just admit "This idea stinks."

October 4, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  194. Ray

people are always complaining about taxes, but everyone (except students) is with longer school years and school days, and they dont realize that it is just going to raise taxes even higher. And what about farmers who need the kids at home during the summer.

October 5, 2009 at 8:18 am |
  195. george

i would hate if the schools longer i whould be outraged

October 5, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  196. Kyle

If school days/school years were longer, there would be WAY more student dropouts. There would be more "sick students' on the extra school days. If the school days were extended, more students would want to be picked up early. For my opinion, school days and school years should stay just then same.

October 5, 2009 at 9:40 am |
  197. Jennifer

I wonder why President Obama wants us to have more school days? I predict that we dont need to have extra school days. If we get more school hours or days it could be possible for the students to have more homework.

October 5, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  198. Thomas

I think Obama is right kids should get more education for school. i think obam is a great presedent but i dont endr stand one thing why do kids have to blog. I undersands that it helps you get better at geting faster tiper but why does it have to be blog. can you help me.

October 5, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  199. Yamine

I don't think that the kids need more class hours, I think that we just need support from the parents and teachers. If the kids would have more class hours then the kids would need alot of support to work hard. The kids would be more tired and the kids would have more homework.

October 5, 2009 at 9:42 am |
  200. Lexie

After reflecting on your post,I decided that kids should have more school days or some more school hours.Kids might not like it as much but they would probably do much better in school with only doing a couple more hours a day.

October 5, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  201. Nicole

I really think that if we have longer school days everyone will slack in school because they'll get tired of working. But I wont really mind if we have an extra week, but not the whole SUMMER!!!!!! Everyone's happy to not have school, but if we went to school longer everyone will be doing better on the ASK test. This is why I really really, really think we should have more school days. Beleive it or not but I think it might work!!!! = D

October 5, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  202. Spencer

Well,I don't know if we need more hours of school because sometimes people have stuff to do after school like sports. If you think there are supose to be more hours of school that is ok. It's your opinion and this is my opinion.

October 5, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  203. Brielle:)

After reflecting on your post, I decided that school doesn't need more school hours, kids just need to pay attention in school. Also, if the kids in school stop fooling around and do there work, they don't need more school hours. Finally, kids that don't like school, thats not good because thats our free education.So thats what I feel about more school hours.

October 5, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  204. GENA

I wish I understood why he is doing this so that I get a better picture of his plan. Some kids just need some help to let them understand.

October 5, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  205. Marisel

In my opinion I think that school days should be extended as long as we get off at around 5:00 i agree.The only one problem i have about this is that what if kids have activities(gymnastics, football,etc.)after shcool fro example i have a cheerleading practice at 6:00 if they do it later than five how am i going to do all my homework plus get ready and drive there WOW thats a busy day!!!!

October 5, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  206. malik

I thing mr. obama is wrone because all kids are trying to make their parnts proud.by staying in school nad learning new things but i think we should not go longer

October 5, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  207. Kiersten

I think that students should say in school for about an hour or an hour and a half more to work on a subject that they need more help in. So they will have regular school and then for an hour and a half you go to a classroom and learn more about the subject you need more help in.

October 5, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  208. Rachel

I think kids should not have longer school years because,students need a break from all the homework and projects we do everyone needs a break once in a while.

October 5, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  209. Malav

I do not understand why we should keep the same school hours because it would be to competitive for them and they would get really tired and maybe if there were more school hours they would get really tired and then they would want to drop out. So I think that we should not have that many school hours . And it would be really great if we people would stop cursing and other bad stuff and be a good student.

October 5, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  210. Hamza

I think we should go to school longer because people would get more smater and better at a lot of thngs like math writing and all those other subject and I think we should get more school days because a lot of people love to go to school and they study more when thier out of school. I agree with you!

October 5, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  211. Jeremy

I really would not care because I think fifth grade is easy. Last year I got straight A's all year long. Maybe it's annoying to have school days longer but I don't care. I want harder words on the spelling test though. But I also want a longer summer break to play and to go camping.

October 5, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  212. Samantha

I think this is a good idea but, you would not be able spend time with your family. Do any sports or play with your pets. You would have to eat dinner and take a shower then go to bed. You wouldn`t be abel to even do your homework

October 5, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  213. Alexa

I dont think there should be longer school days because if we have longer days then no one would pay any attention and they would get bored of having too much school. I think we have enough hours of school. Maybe we need nicer teacher because then kids pay attention. So i think we shouldnt have more hours of school.

October 5, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  214. Prashit

Your writing made me think that we should not have longer school days because if we would have longer school days we would get home late and we would still learn the same thing but for a longer time

October 5, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  215. Aniyah

I think that making school days longer would not make me a better student. I believe this because some students would not pay attention and it would waste parents time if their kids have to go to any kind of sports.

October 5, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  216. Alvin

This is important because we can be smarter and school is great for you. You can meet new friends and teachers can be nice. When you get older you get smarter if your in school.

October 5, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  217. Priyal

"NO! I do not thing we should have more school. I thing that because the time we have off after school should be the time to play,have fun,do homework,go to sleep, go out. And the weekend should be the time to go to somewere with you're familiy.

October 5, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  218. aisha

I don't think that we need more hours in school but i think that we need more motivation for students.i think that we should have more motivation because it will help them learn more in less time than we have.Like we can have 10 hours of school but we dont learn anything at all.So it doesn't matter how many hours we have but we have more education faster.

October 5, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  219. sayvon

i think that we should have not have more days or hours because we work hard in school so we desevre a break

October 5, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  220. Kayla

I belive that longer school days would not make me a better student because if someone had a stort like cheerleading they would not be able to go because school would be longer and what about the bus drivers and they might be able to come and driver us home thats why i belive that we should not have longer school day!

October 5, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  221. Hilda

I decided we should have more school school hours up to 5:00 because we can have a good education. Also we can have more energy.

October 5, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  222. brandon

No becaucse I dont like school that much.

October 5, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  223. Aaron

I dont think we should have longer days because it would make students more tired and sometimes it would mess up familes plains like dinner and other stuff.

October 5, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  224. Joanna

I disagree with a longer school day because most people get tired in the middle of math, spelling, etc. Making the school day longer would just get the kids more tired and bored. Also, we'd have more homework. Most classes have math, spelling, and something extra for homework. More subjects means more homework.

October 5, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  225. Elton

I don't think longer school days are better since that'll make ALOT of kids unhappy, including me. they need to look at our opinions first before they do it. Besides, kids want some time after school for themselves.

October 5, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  226. Jessica

I do think kids should have longer school school days because they could pay attention more more in school. That means they could have a shorter school year and a longer summer vacation.

October 5, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  227. Emily

I do not think kids do not think children should go to school longer.If kids go to school longer.Homework would be tereble .kids would be more tired. They would fall asleep in class.About the homewok children would not want to do homwork.

October 5, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  228. Harley

I don't understand why you think we should have more school hours becausewe workvery hard in school and we don't have a big break.

October 5, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  229. Zach

i agree with reneeee why cut into our parents and family time

October 5, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  230. jessica

Something that would make me a better student is to have longer school days so we can learn more. When we are in school most of time we run out of a lot of time.

October 5, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  231. mike

i think that they could add more hours as long as we have an off period where we can do any thing like homework.

October 5, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  232. hannah

i think if in some schools the school day is really short, then you could add on a few more hours. i don't think that a five or six hour school day should be any longer because kids sometimes have activities like sports after school so they can't stay any longer.

October 5, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  233. Brooklynn

i think this is stupid but it is smart at the same time it is confusing

October 5, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  234. Justin

No I do not think this is a good idea at all! Their are kids that still live on farms and have to do farm work and need the summer off. Teens also like to make some money during the summer. This would give them more time to do their homework but, kids can not handle all of the work as it is. Teens and kids are involved in one way or another!!! This should not happen at all. Teens are already crammed with homework but don't make every school be like a year round school.

October 5, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  235. Sasha

I think longer school days are just going to discourage more students from going to school.....so adding more hours to school is going to make students less competitive rather than more. So I think more motivation from parents and teachers is the only way out.

October 5, 2009 at 9:51 pm |
  236. Julia

If there are more hours to school then more kids may not come and it just gives extra work for us. Plus after school we get homework.

October 6, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  237. sam

Woa there, more school? Are you seriose? I play chello, piano, soccer, and have hard homework to do in so little time and more school? Oh no, no , NO!!! Many kids all over hate school. Adding more will make it like, like, jail! Its sometimes boring and learning is hardly ever fun so why would he extend it? If its so we would become better and learn more that’s wrong. Our brains will pop. And that’s wrong so please, please, please no more school, enough is enough!

October 6, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  238. david

school should remain the same adding extra hours to a school day is ridiculous. if school wants extr hours then we have less time to spend with our parents. i don’t thing its normal adding school hours because your already in ther for 6 hours why do u need to ne om there for a longer time? exactley the last thing you want to do is add extra hours. if this actuley goes through then it will cause major contreversy

October 6, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  239. Andrew918

Longer school days suck!!!!!!!!! I have 6 and 1/2 hour shool days already and government wants to make them longer!!!!!! I already say kids don't have enough time in the morning and afternoon to do whatever they want, not to mention more homework!!!!

October 6, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  240. cortez

i dont think we need more class time i think we need better thing to do for people would not be bad an school an get kick out of school because people be bad an school because they do not have nothing to do an school so thats why i thnik we should not get more time an class an get more thing to do an school for people would stay an school an learn............

October 6, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  241. hannah

no way ,it could make the kids have more homework

October 6, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  242. jacinda

I think that it is not necessary. I think that they should just havemore time for a subject. I think that if we have longer school days it will make it harder for us to understand.

October 6, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  243. syera

I don’t think that we should have more class hours during the day, that would be way to much because we already have 7. I think we learn enough for one day and that would mean much more homework than we already have. So I don’t agree with that situation

October 6, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  244. Surada

I think better student not about more hours of school day. It’s depend on the person. I think they should keep the school day and school hour expertly the same. There will be more student don’t to come to school and some students might have work to go.

October 6, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  245. Emma

i honestly dont know. it may be better for students education but you would get more homework and less time to do it. and less time for after school activitys

October 6, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  246. michael

I don't think we should get longer school days

October 6, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  247. sarah

I think that it is fine that we students shoud have an 8 hour school day but we shoud still be able to have 3 day weekends and summers too.

October 6, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  248. sarah

I don't think that longer school hours and longer school years does us students anygood. All it does is tire us. I think taht the amount of school tiem we have now is perfectly fine. NOw all we need is more vacation.... 🙂

October 6, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  249. lily

I think we shouldn't have any more school hours because when we do have home work it is going to be stressful for the students becase people have spotrs or conserts and cant fit all of that homework and then just have the same thing all over again and it would be stressful on the techers to grading ll of those papers and it would be diffcult like miss grading and then missing papers it would just be stressful all the time and at some of the ages it would be even more diffcult and we get the same education but we learn it all at different pases to and be stress ful on the kids that are slow at some subjects to and they woyuld have to be held back and that wouldn't be fair for getting held back for just one subject.

October 6, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  250. deyanira

If you want better students, putting extra hours and days in the year isn't going to do much good. If students are required to attend school more than they already do, a lot more kids are just going to give up and drop out or just skip. Also the more school, the more homework. As it is for middle and high school students they don't just have one class there are numerous and each class assigns homework on a daily basis, if the hours of being it school are prolonged then students will have less time to complete their assignments and will probably copy it off another student and like this no one will learn.

October 6, 2009 at 9:11 pm |
  251. Lindsay

Great idea! More school means more motivation. And, if the schools agree, the after-school clubs could be during school, which means more time with your friends.

October 6, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  252. Stephen

To some people it is a good idea to have more school,but I would hate it.I think we already have too much school.

October 7, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  253. kk:)

no nore school i hate it as it is we need more vacation like sarah said

October 7, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  254. Vikki

I think that longer days would NOT be a good idea. I think that it would just make us more tired. Lots of kids play sports, and if they're stuck in school all day, they wouldn't be able to get better and maybe even become a famouse sports player. I think it would also be more stressful. Kids already have enough troubles with homework and projects, why add more to that?

October 7, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  255. Samantha

Longer and more school days isn't a way to make students smarter. Kids would HATE it and would dread coming to school! This isn't any better for the parents or teachers either. So what good is it? Kids have after chool activities that make the kids happy and let them have a fun time doing what they want. But schools not like that. Sorry to brake it to you, but kids think that school is BORING. If for some reason school has to be longer, then this is what i say. Add one more hour to school and have no homework. None, Zero, Zip. That, kids can live with.

October 7, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  256. ani

i dont think we should have more school hours..i mean home work is enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!why more schoool

October 7, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  257. Jamie

I think that there should not be more school days because people with things to do after school (including me) I need to get all of my homework done after I come from the barn which is around 8:30 at night.

October 7, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  258. Becca

I think studying overall makes anyone a better student. Longer school days or a longer school day dosn't change how some kids feel about school. It is what it is so why change it?

October 7, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  259. Kate

I don't know about other people but NOTHING could make ME get even BETTER grades since I already get straight A+'s.

October 7, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  260. Victoria

Longer school days would be worse longer class make you tired and when you get home you REALLY don't want to do home work.

October 7, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  261. Emily

i think that its a yes because if you go to school for 6 hours and go 4 times a week youed be saveing power pluse you would have a 3 day weekend every week!

October 7, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  262. Saakib

I don't think they should do this because people with other stuff to do will end up stressing a lot more. More class means more HW and will make the less advanced kids slack off even more. Maybe, we should find a way to motivate student through stuff that shows them their life without an education. That'll hopefully send the right messages.

But any ways, Carl Azuz's jokes are so lame, our whole class groans after every one. It comes to a point where we see which ones are more lame lol

October 7, 2009 at 9:55 pm |
  263. Moises

Honestly I love school and I hope they add hours because school is the safest place for a child to be. But if they do the people who don't like school will drop out and we will have less people who will work for NASA and government agencies to make the world a better place. So really the future is a bigger matter when you look at it that way.

October 7, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  264. Gabriel

I don't think that will make a difference because students are just to lazy to learn. But for me to become a better student all i have to do is study harder.

October 7, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  265. Claire

I don't think that we should have have more school days. I am a good stuudent and I don't even study! More school will just make more students tired and exhusted so they wont be good students. So there shouldn't be more school.

October 8, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  266. Nick

I think that longer school days are unnecessary. At my school, everyone's brains go to sleep after about 2:30 anyway. Putting us in school for extra amounts of time would be like forcing all of us to stay in a daycare center/ after school program, but not having the time to play or do homework. If it really does help fit into the parent's schedules better, they should send their kid to an after school program.
    Also, if President Obama thinks that keeping kids in school longer will keep them off the street, I think he is wrong. If the kids were able to get on the streets then, they can do it now. And once they are, they wont come to school anyway.

October 8, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  267. Bridget

I'm not saying I love school but I feel that we could be a lot smarter if we went to school longer. Our Parents go to work all day. College students go to school all day. Also look at the up side......more hours to hang out with your friends!

October 8, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  268. Rachel

I believe that students would get tired after a really long school day. Kids have a social life, a sports life, and a huge homework life! But summer vacation is really important! We need a break. We can't sit in a un-air-conditioned room for twelve months! Cut us some slack!

October 8, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  269. Olivia

I think that if we had longer school days that we would all get to tired.I dont know about everyone else but when i get home all i want to do is take a nap. If everyone wold just do there school work and homework then this wouldn't be an issue.

October 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  270. Kristin

While I certainly wouldn't like going to school longer, I understand why it may be necessary. Students in Japan go to school 242 days a year. In the global economy, it is important that we remain competitive.

October 8, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  271. Katelynn

i think obama just wants to compeat with other nations he also thinks that keeping us in school would make us smarter and when people that already like school have the extra days piled on there just may be a higher dropout rate

October 8, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  272. Tori

Truthfully, not matter how annoying or time consuming school is, I think that we DO need more of it. I have trouble with math (not very un-common anyways) and I would love it if our teachers had more time to teach it to us. I plan to go to The University of Texas at Austin to major in Journalism (which I did get commended on my reading and math TAKS test last year), but I don't know if my math grades will get me in.

October 8, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  273. Stacy

I personally be a better student if the teachers went over the material more. Some of my teachers just give us notes to copy and dont even explain it.

October 8, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  274. Rachel

I think that its all a bad idea. Most kids have after school activities like sports and band. Also summer time is when summer sports like softball, baseball, and swimteam are going on.

October 8, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  275. JP

I think having a longer school is a bad thing because your parents can send you to a after school club or the YMCA.

October 8, 2009 at 8:00 pm |
  276. Jasmin

I believe what american students need is motivation. more class hours are not going to change our attituded for the positive.

October 8, 2009 at 8:15 pm |
  277. Sophia

Although a large percentage of kids do not want longer school days however we would benefit from it by receiving a better education and therefore getting us better jobs because the best time to plan for the future is NOW!

October 8, 2009 at 8:46 pm |
  278. lexie

I tthink that teen fights are stuoid .i think that they are just trying to show off.

October 8, 2009 at 8:57 pm |
  279. Jerry

I don't really think it's a good idea to have longer school days because most kids have after school activities like football, swim teams, boy/girl scouts, etc. The longer school days would interfere with those actvities and kids get less time to homework and stuff.

October 8, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  280. jay

i actually think they should shorten the class days because the big reason people dont like school is because it to long and if people like it more they will try harder

October 9, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  281. Keyaun

Hi Carl,

I think that if we recieved more motivation then we would become better students. But for the most part being a better student depends on the student him/herself, because even if they get all of the motivation in the world and they don't want to do their classwork and homework it will not mean anything.

October 9, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  282. Kerri

Lot of kids say "no way I am NOT going to have more school" I say cool Because 1) I like school 2) You will have more time at school to get your homework done, you would have more free time at home

October 9, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  283. Anonymous

we do not like it

October 9, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  284. Brady

They should not make the schooldays longer. Because kids will be really tired and will eventually drop out because they will get really mad.

October 9, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  285. zory

i say NO!!!!!!!! sometimes we have trouble staying focused cause classes are long and if they were longer i think i will die 😦

October 9, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  286. bobby

ok do we even get a say im mean it effecting us isnt it!

October 9, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  287. ayva

I think it's a good idea, but if we have more hours in a day like from 8 to 4 I think then we should only have four days of a week in school.

October 9, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  288. Lindsay

In my opinion, I don't think the school days should be any longer. Most Students wouldn't try harder, they would just get sick of being in school so long. I wouldn't mind the longer school year because we would still have breaks throughout the year. The only thing about the longer school year is that most schools don't have air conditioning. Summers in a lot of places are very hot. But, in the long run, I think the longer school year would be a good idea.

October 9, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  289. Lindsay

i don't think the extra school is nessecary. Kids would try a lot harder if teachers made learning more fun. my social studies taecher is really popular around school because of her teaching styles. instead of reading your boring text book and taking a test on it, she has us do prodjects. recently, to learn about geographical features, she had us create our own continent. I definately had way more fun and learned more that i will remember than i would have if we had just taken a test. Another thing that would motivate more students is if teachers did a little more to let students learn with their learning styles.

October 9, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  290. Hammad

I dont think making are school days longer would be a good thing because when we come home, most of the time we do our homework which is kind of like being at school but your not and if we have a longer school day and homework we wont have time for things like sports, religious practice's, and etc. i mean if we are kids let us be kids dont give us the 9 to 5 daily routines of adults! dont put another burdain on our shoulders or we will brake eventually!

October 9, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  291. Jenny

If we have a longer school year, we will have no way to fund school- related activities and we would have to spend more money for the cooks, teachers, custodians, and other staff in the school. A longer school day to 3:30 would be OK with me but, to four o' clock would be too long and students who have trouble concentrating in school it will make it more worse and other students would not pay attention and doze off into sleep.

October 10, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  292. hobo

I would hate a longer school day. I don't like school I hate it. A longer school day could meen more homework.

October 10, 2009 at 10:43 am |