.
September 13th, 2009

Religious Conversion Controversy

On Monday, you'll hear a lot of perspectives in the case of a Muslim girl who converted to Christianity.  She ran away from her home, saying she was afraid her parents would kill her for changing her religion.  Her father says this is untrue and that she would be in no danger if she returned home.

Here is a judge's solution:  Get everyone together to discuss the issue and try to work things out.  If this happens, it would help the girl, her parents, and the organizations involved to avoid a courtroom trial.

We'd like to hear what you think of this story and solution.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. ALEXIS

What should be done here is that the parents should talk to her doughter the importance of their relligion and how it means to them that they have the same relligion.Me , my relligion is catholic , but theres many relligions like muslims, budist , and vegetarians ,what im trying to say is that EVERYONE HAS THE RIGTH TO BELIVE WHAT THEY WANT TO!!!

September 13, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  2. Dakota

I don't think that the parents would actually kill her just because of the girls religion, that sounds a little childish to me, but if it relly matters to the parents then they should disscuss it with each other.

September 13, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  3. Dakota

I don't think that the parents would actually kill her just because of the girls religion, but if it relly matters to the parents then they should disscuss it with each other.

September 13, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  4. Future Mrs.Jonas

I think that the muslim girl should not have ran away but have stayed and told her parents that she changed her religion.

September 13, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  5. Nikk

It is not good that a girl has to run away from her parents just to become a different religion. If it was up to me than I would talk to the parents about why it is such a bad thing being another religion. Not cool parents!

September 13, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  6. Paige

I think that is taking things to extremes a little. I understand that they take religion very seriously but I don't think her parents would kill her for converting to Christianity. They might be very upset and try to convert her back to being a Muslim or maybe if they were cruel kick her out and disown her but not kill, but I'm proud of her for sticking with what she believes.

September 13, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  7. Tony

I recently listened to a radio interview of a well educated Muslim, who stated that the problem with the Muslim extremists stems from the lack of education. This lack of education , he went on, makes them prey for the extremist Imams' hate propaganda.

I've heard that before from seemingly sincere Muslims, who say that an Islamic state is supposed to be secular and tolerant of all other religions.

The problem is that there are too many who are lacking education. This rings true, since I've heard, among other things that, the Taliban, for instance, doesn't want girls attending school, and so, they burn the schools. I'm guessing that they want their women, pregnant, barefoot, and cooking and cleaning. This is truly a challenge, but, these well educated Muslims should be the first to speak out against the tyranny. I think this whole Iran thing is a beginning. We should set up Voice of America type transmissions to feed them the truth about their own religion.

September 13, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  8. Joey

America is a free country and a kid should not have to run away from her parents because she is switching religions. She should have a conference with her parents in front of people that can protect her to help her feel safe and secure.

September 13, 2009 at 9:18 pm |
  9. Rachel

I think the girl wouldn't lie about something as extreme as her father threatening to kill her, and the father needs to go to a therapist and realize that it doesn't matter if she wants to change her religion. She is still his daughter.

September 13, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  10. shanana

This is just on of the examples of what really happens with muslims and there families. I believe that maby her parents will kill her. They are so serious about there religion that if anyone brakes a rule in there religion they will be harshly punished, but i believe that everyone has the right to believe in what ever they want to.

September 13, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  11. JaQuan

I think she shouldn't have ran away, even though her parents probably were upset , she should have just talked to them about it, but when she comes back I think they need to first tell her they will never hurt her no matter what, and discuss why she converted her religion and tell her why it matters if they have the same religion if its that important.

September 14, 2009 at 12:07 am |
  12. Adam

I am willing to bet that there is something more to this story that has not come out yet. For some reason when i saw the video clips the of her crying and holding on to some one, the movie version of Arthur Miller's "The Crucible" came to mind and how one teenage girl started a witch hunt. There if definitely more to this story then what was broadcasted.
    I do believe that getting every one together is a good way to settle this though

September 14, 2009 at 2:15 am |
  13. Amir

Some Muslim extremists do kill their sons and daughters just because they want to convert. But I don't think her parents look so fanatic. But compare; the girl's face was agonizing with fright and misery while her father talked about "we want you home blah blah blah' part his face was straight and twitched his eyes very fast like when a person is LYING. I think the girl ought to be seperated from her parents if her will is so and that her parents would never be around her while she lives on the free soil of the United States of America.

(P.S. Phew! Laptops! That IS scary.)

September 14, 2009 at 2:51 am |
  14. Amir

I'm glad my foster parents are Buddhists. Otherwise I'd've been lying in coffin in Haggia Sophia right now.

September 14, 2009 at 2:54 am |
  15. Danny

I think the family should get together and talk about the problem but seriously, the Muslim girl has the right to choose her own religion. So I think the girl should be allowed to beleive in Christianity even though her parents might think otherwise.

September 14, 2009 at 3:38 am |
  16. Big Bob

One word, Taqiyya . Leave the girl alone.

September 14, 2009 at 4:12 am |
  17. Utau

UI don't think the parents would actullay kill her because of her religion, be dissapointed, yes. But kill her? That's going way to far, but I guess it's a LITTLE understandable why she thought so, since muslims sometimes have strict rules, but still, this is the US and in my opinion everyoen has teh right to believe what they want, regardless of what others think.

September 14, 2009 at 6:28 am |
  18. Jinsol

I think the parents would have to talk to the girl about it without "threatning her" if that was true. But it sounds like the girl made it up because her parents even let her wear short skirts and be a cheerleader. Why would they "try to kill her" if they didn't really mind her not being in long skirts and head bandanas?

September 14, 2009 at 6:48 am |
  19. Dave

She has the right to practice whatever religion she wants. This is america, the land of religious freedom. You don't have to have the same beliefs as your parents.

September 14, 2009 at 7:19 am |
  20. Brian

Based on the CNN Student News coverage of this issue of the religion, I do not think it is the religion. I am a Protestant member. Maybe she wanted attention. Maybe she is making the religion a cover up.

September 14, 2009 at 7:22 am |
  21. Saki

I think that the girl should decide her own religion since it's her own life.

September 14, 2009 at 7:52 am |
  22. Stephanie

I think the parents are lying, there is something sketchy about the dad. If she feels threatend, then she should just stay away from the family.

September 14, 2009 at 8:16 am |
  23. rachael

i think that its her decision what she wants to do. if she wants to choose christianity was her religion. if she wants to be a christian then let her be.

September 14, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  24. Richard

I dont think that parents would actually kill her. I think they should discuss about the problem their having and work it out. It shouldnt matter what religion you are.

September 14, 2009 at 8:19 am |
  25. Deleston

i think anyone should be able to choose thier relgion; we are a free country , but they are her parents they still have authority over her.

September 14, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  26. Alberto

I think anyone can choose there own religion, and I do think do think her parents threatened to kill her because it is hard to come up with a lie like that.

September 14, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  27. Kyle

I think her parents have a right to be mad. But, I think the daughter should have been more open about the whole conversion. She seemed to be doing it outside of her parents view.

September 14, 2009 at 8:21 am |
  28. Jalil

I think that if she wants to be a Christan than she can. Her parents shouldn't make such a big deal about it. She should feel free to do whatever she wants to do.

September 14, 2009 at 8:21 am |
  29. rachael

I think that its her decision what she wants to be. If she wants to choose christianity ass her religion then let her be.

September 14, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  30. anthony

Also i think that the girl should be able to convert to what ever religion she wants as long as that is what she believes in. Her parents should not be able to tell her what religion she has to believe in when she is an adult .

September 14, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  31. Blaine

I think that a person has the right to believe what they want. It's not right to try to kill a child. I'm a christian so I think that it is right for her to be a christian also.

September 14, 2009 at 8:23 am |
  32. Aiiana

I think that if it matters that much hen the parents should ltalk to her becuse it is something she belives in very pacientally and tha she has research and knows alot about. She should do what she thinks is best for her future career and fo her saftey. Also why would the girl lie about her parents trying to kill her and run away from home . i don't thnk she would do it just for the attention.

September 14, 2009 at 8:24 am |
  33. Brenda:0

The girl knows what she wants and she probably has her reasons. She should also explain why she would think her parents would kill her. Her parents and her should listen to each other. As family they should respect each others dicisions.

September 14, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  34. Samantha

I think she should have changed her religion if she wanted to. I would also be scared if the dad had said he wanted to kill her. of cource he would say he didnt say he wanted to kill her with everyone able to see him saying that. he didnt want her to change religions but she has the right to.

September 14, 2009 at 8:27 am |
  35. Lisa

Islamic people can get easily concerned about their religion. When the girl's parents were told about their daughters thoughts of becoming a christian, they probably freaked out. It is not right to threaten to kill somebody for wanting to change their religion but it's understandable to be upset about such news. Although the girl has right to believe in whatever culture and religion she would like, she is still only 17 so her parents do have the right to have a say in what their daughter does. If she really wanted to become a christian, she could have waited a year or 2 until she was out of her parents house and living on her own.

September 14, 2009 at 8:29 am |
  36. Randy

if i was her and i really didnt want to die I would just run away an not tell anybody. I really want to know why she told anybody were she was

September 14, 2009 at 8:33 am |
  37. x

I think its sad that her parents would kill her because she belives in a different religion and they should respect her choice

September 14, 2009 at 8:57 am |
  38. awf

I think her parents shouldn't have threaten to kill her, just because she doesn't believe in the same religon.

September 14, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  39. Kathryn

I think that the girl is just doing it to get attention by saying that he parents wanted to kill her. In their religion the women have to cover their entire bodies and if they let her do cheerleading, then i don't think that they would kill her over a religion. They were already breaking their religion. I think they should talk about it and see why their daughter wants that negative attention against her family.

September 14, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  40. Brittany

I think that she should be able to switch religions, She's obviously not happy with being Muslim so I think that she should be able to do what she wants. It's her religion, and she has the right to believe what she wants to believe.

September 14, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  41. kittyfina

i don't think that the parents would really kill there daughter but they might be angry at her but the wouldnt kill her if they did they would be guilty of a murder

September 14, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  42. lukas

the parents and the girl should sit down and talk about it. so what if the girl wants to be christian shes has the right to choose the religion she wants to be, and the parents are obviously threatining her otherwise she wouldnt have ran away.

September 14, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  43. Madison

I think that the parents shouldn't say they want to kill her just because she wants to go to christianity. i think she should believe what ever she wants to!!! If she wants to put her faith in God than let her. God will love her no matter what she does!!!

September 14, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  44. jonboy 2009

i think the parents are lieing they just want to look good in front of the press. But then yet the girl could actually be lieing to. The parents could have told there daughter that if she were going to be a christian then she would have to have more rules or something, and maybe she didn't want any more rules.Then she could have just got fed up with it and decided how can i get out and then realized i could accuse my parents of threatening to kill me. (Then Ran) Then yet it could just be her parents trying to cover there but so i am neutral on the whole situation. I just hope they get it all figured out, because family should really stick together. I mean so what she wants to be christian (let her) and move on with your lives.

September 14, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  45. ~Ashley~

I think that even though her parents take their religion seriously i do not think that her parents would kill her...So i personally think that she was way over exaggerating the situation. And instead of her running away she should have stepped up and discussed her wanting to change religion with her parents. It's just part of being an adult.

September 14, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  46. Andrew

I don't think that the girl's parents would have actually killed her. I think she was overexagerating on the situation.

September 14, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  47. Mariah

She should be aloud to do what she wants and not forced to do what people tell her. True they are her parents but threatning to kill her... I would run away to if i was her...

September 14, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  48. eric

I don't think that the girl should have run away from home. I think the paretnts wouldnt have killed her for changing her religion after her parentes let her wear short skirtes and no head scarf. Also I think that you should have commeneted on 911 beacuse it was a day to cammerate thoose who have falllen in the biggest tarest attack in United States history.

September 14, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  49. Mark

I think that the girls parents should never have done that. And if I would have a trial.

September 14, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  50. Mark

I think that even if religion is so great, it's nothing to kill

September 14, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  51. Mike

I think that girl is doing the right thing by going to the religion she wants to be part of. And i think that the parents are wrong for trying to kill her. Im sure all she wants to do is fit in and not be left out. those parents had no right to scare the girl out of her own house. I think the whole family needs to sit down and talk about it.

Not comenting on 9/11 on Friday is what i think was the right thing to do. Im sure that there are students out there that lost a family member on 9/11 and talking about it may upset them very much. And im sure alot of them would be embaressed to cry or get upset. Also, it was a friday, and who wants to be upset on a friday.

September 14, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  52. Brad

Now that this story is in the news, there is not as much of a chance that she will actually be killed, however, she is obviously very scared and since she is a United States citizen, her rights to believe as she wants should be protected as stated in the First Amendment.

September 14, 2009 at 9:51 am |
  53. Adam

I think she is streching the truth about her parents killing her. She needs to just go back home and talk with her parents. I think her parents will be fine with her becoming a Christian. Also i think that she has the right to choose her religion.

September 14, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  54. Umair

I think that they should let her be what she wants. This is the U.S.A. right? We have freedom of religon and we can believe what we want. So the parents should leave her alone. The solution should be just have somebody talk with the parents and the daughter and work something out.

September 14, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  55. Amani

I dont think that that any parent would kill their child if he/she decided to change his/her religion, but I also dont think the girl would lie about such a serious matter. There are many extreme parents out there, and she would be better off right now somewhere else, so no one does anything irrational.

September 14, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  56. Andrew

I don't think She should be killed or punished for switching religion, Because It's a personal option to switch religion. The parents should discuss it, but nothing major such as murder even though it's very important. Nine eleven killled thousands of people and is just important today as 8 years ago.

September 14, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  57. Jordan

I think the judge's solution of getting the family together and discussing the problem is a very good idea. I think it could solve the problem.

September 14, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  58. Katelin

I belive that it is redicules to threan your child over the religion that she chose to switch it is her choice if she wants to change her religion that is her rite her perents may not support her but they have no rite to threten her or want to kill her about it. On the other hand i am realy dissapointed and supriced that we did not hear much about 9/11 it is a important part of Americas history and should be much more talked about. It is something that turned ower country into a terible and sad place and we need to talk about it to all ages and CNN student news is a great place to talk to people and educate the yonger generations about 9/11.

September 14, 2009 at 9:56 am |
  59. maggie

I think it is very foolish to have your daughter run away because she is afraid what her parents will do to their own daughter because she changed her religion. I think this because the parents would NEVER harm their daughter in any way. They may think that this is a foolish thing to do and not agree with her desion but they would never harm her just for a childish thing. Also, I am VERY disappointed that CNN Student News did not talk about 9/11 on Friday. I think this because 9/11 was suppose to be a day that to remember all of our heroes that went into the fire to save lives and just the people who helped clean up the mess that the terrorists left. I do think we should have talked more of 9/11 on CNN Student News.

September 14, 2009 at 9:56 am |
  60. Elizabeth

I think that she should do what she wants. I also think her parents shouldn't threaten to kill her just because she wants to change her religion.

I also think you should have talked about 9/11 on friday. It is an important part of history. Also, you should have remembered all the people that lost their lives on that day.

September 14, 2009 at 9:58 am |
  61. Rachel

I believe that the girl made the right decision to runaway when she felt unsafe with her own family. Its unknown that her parents actually did threaten her. So her actions might have been over exaggerated in a way.

When i saw Fridays show, i was upset that you didnt mention the eighth anniversery of 911. I think that you should have honored the people who died in the attack.

September 14, 2009 at 9:58 am |
  62. Lucas

I'm not entirely sure that her parents would actually try to KILL her. But the matter should be looked into to determine weather or not they threatened or injured her. I believe mediation is the correct way to solve this.

September 14, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  63. Linguini

I think that she should have the right to change to whatever religion she wants. Her parents don't have the right to be able to stop her.

September 14, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  64. Morgan

It is obvious that this girl is terrified of her family. It is ordinary for people to put on a fake smile when the rest of the world is watching, but what is going to happen when the cameras leave. I think that thi sgirl should stay with the church until she turns 18, then she will have rights as a citizen and decide fo rherself where her path will lead.

September 14, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  65. Victoria

i think that it's ridiculous that the girl's parents wont her her switch religions.

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  66. Kevin

I say that her parents should give her all the right to be a Christian. Her rights are protected by the first Amendment, freedom of Religion. They have no right to punish her, especially in such an outrageous and harsh manner. Converting can be a hard thing and they should respect this. I know because I recently converted from atheism to Christianity just a few months ago.

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  67. Sarah

I don’t think that the judge should have said just to have a meeting about it, because the parents can be all nice at the meeting. Although when they get home it may turn out to be the same thing that was happening all along. Although we don’t know and we will never know unless we were in her shoes.

September 14, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  68. Sarah

I think the girl was very brave and courageous for standing up and converting to Christianity. She strongly believed in it and by the threats of her family she had to run away. I think it is a good stragedy by the judge to have a mediation meeting. The girl is too young to live without her parents and maybe now that this is happening, her parents will support her and her conversion.

September 14, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  69. Sameer

i am a muslim and i know that it is a bad thing to change religons from islam to something else but islam does give people rights.

September 14, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  70. kerri

i agree with the judge. i mean noone was there to see what really happened. So, the best way is to get them together. Everyone should believe in what they want to, withouth being judged.

September 14, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  71. Michael

I personally believe that religion is a personal choice. If a person wishes to be Christian then let them be Christian. No parents should decide a child’s religion. If the parents really had threatened to kill the girl, then I think that they should be arrested. The 1st Amendment gives us freedom of religion so that girl may worship whoever or whatever she wishes.

September 14, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  72. joshua

maybe that girl is crazy. i dont really think her parents care what she believes, I mean, its just a religion

September 14, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  73. Cole

I think the judge has a good idea and that maybe they could find out the truth if they got everyone there together. It doesn’t matter what religion you are. It’s a free country and you have the right to believe in whatever you want!

September 14, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  74. Leo

I do not think that the parents would actually kill their daughter, I mean
    I do believe that they are a little angry that she has converted to christianity. I think that it is good that she believes that there is a god whether it is Buddha,Allah,God or any other god that people believe in
    its ok to be any religionif you ask me.

September 14, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  75. Bree

Honestly I don’t think that her parents would kill her all because she became a Christian. Because why would her parents want to kill their own child I mean it’s just childish. All because she becomes a Christian it doesn’t mean that her parents hate her or anything like that.

September 14, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  76. E.O

They really need to leave the girl alone. The more they blow her situation up the more the door for some stupid prejudice racist to attack her or her family is opened. Whether the family threatened her or not, it shouldn’t be so publicized. Like that stupid prejudice website trying to blow the situation up. It’s not because they are trying to protect the girl, they’re trying to put a bad name on ALL Muslims and bring harm to the girl or her parents.

September 14, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  77. Preston

I think that she should just go to her parents and tell them that she wants to be a Christian and if they don't like it then she should run away because its her choice to be whatever religion she wants to. Her parents can't tell her what religion she wants to be.

September 14, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  78. patrick

i dont think that they should kill her over the religion of her life. they should let her do what she want to do and be in a different religion.

September 14, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  79. JJ

This is something that you really don’t hear about the much because most of the population in the United States is the same religion. I feel that if the girl wants to be a Christian then I think nobody should be able to stop her. I can understand why her parents are upset but it is her decision. I’m not really sure of how they can work out the situation. She could still live with her family. It would just be a little different.

September 14, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  80. Nick

I think that this is a strange dispute that is probably exaggerated. The girl's parents probably were upset about their child's decision to covert religions, however I'm sure that they care about her enough to accept her decision. Maybe I am wrong though, what would happen if she came back to her house and her parents really did harm her, or even kill her, because of this I think the child SHOULD be returned to her family, however she and her family should be checked on several times a day.

September 14, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  81. Matthew

Well if she wants to convert, she should be aloud to. This country allows the freedom to religion, and that's what she should get. If her parents are going to threaten her over religion, they don't deserve to keep her.

September 14, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  82. Toria

There is no doubt in my mind that the Father said he was going to hurt the girl, because I’ve been in similar situations in which my parents say things like that out of anger, but they would never act on those words. The girl has the right as an American citizen to believe in what she wants to believe, and her parents have the right to voice their opinions about her decision. However, they do not have the right to take physical action against their daughter because of what she believes.

September 14, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  83. Patty

I think that the girl has the right to convert to whatever religion she chooses to convert to and her parents should not have to right to control that. However, I do think that they may have said that they would hurt her; I do not think she would have just made it up for no reason. I think that it was wrong for them to say something like that because they are her parents and they should love and care for her no matter what. The girl has every right to believe what she wants to as a human and as an American, that being said; I think that her parents have their rights to voice their opinions about it but never to threaten her life.

September 14, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  84. Brandon

The girl should believe what she wants to I mean come on my parents want me to be catholic but I tend not to believe in god some of the time but come on why would a girl make up this story saying the father raised the laptop over his head saying “I’m going to kill you” yea ok sure you dint do that the judges solution is really not a good Idea reason there could be conflict between the girl and the parents and it would progress into yelling and furthermore profanity

September 14, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  85. avery

i think that she shouldn't have ran away. Clearly, her parents didn't threaten her; they want her home, for crying out loud. I think she totally pulled a little boy who cried wolf in this situation. They DIDN'T threaten her from converting to christianity. They will support her through whatever, she's just over dramatic.

September 14, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  86. Reid

the girl shuld be able to do what she wants. it is part of the constution she has the feedom of religion.

September 14, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  87. Zalk

Maybe the parents were just really mad at her for converting. And threantened to ground her but she just over reacted.

September 14, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  88. Parris

Personally, I think it's the girl's decision on what religion she wants to be. However, I think her parents should accept her choice and shouldn't treat her any differently.

September 14, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  89. Reid

also she should not be killed for what she belives in, if she wangts to be christian her parents should let her be what she wants. it is part of the constution she can do what she wants

September 14, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  90. Elizabeth

Honestly, I am a little confused. The parens seem to be sure that they did not threaten their daughter at all, but then again why would thshe run away for no particular reson. I personally think that when the judge talks to both of the debating sides, both of them are going to be cought lying about something in their side of the story.

September 14, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  91. Noodle

The girl converted the parents threated and she runs away
    who cares

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  92. fey

i dont see the point n threatning her, at least she still believe in God

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  93. Nick

Religion is, I belive, a personal topic. I do not think all this publicity should be brought upon it. Everyone has the right to change and find a religion that matches their inner morals.

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  94. Amulya

I think it would be a good idea for the parents and the girl to meet and talk about it. I'm not sure if the death threat is true, the person must be pretty scared if it could make someone run away. The girl should have a right to switch religions if she wants to.Plus murder is a pretty serious thing and I don't think the parents would actually go through it.

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  95. Tamia

I Think that the girl should have a say in her religeon and beliefs, but if her parents dont agree she should respect that and go along with it. I think that she should still participate in her families religeous beliefs but she can have her own beliefs on the side.

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  96. Joy

I believe the girl's story. I am a christian too. I would run away from home to if my parents tried to kill me. I think her dad said it's not true because he was on T.V. So, she shouldn't go home. She needs to stay wherever she is.

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  97. Kara

I think that this is a big deal. I think that this girl has the right to believe what she wants though her parents do have control over her till she is out of the house. I think that they should discuss a compromise maybe for her to be an Islamic till she is out of the house I don’t know. I think that if her father really threatened then she should get some help.

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  98. fey

i dont see the point in threatning her, at least she still believe in God

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  99. Elizabeth

Honestly, I am a little confused. The parens seem to be sure that they did not threaten their daughter at all, but then again why would she run away for no particular reson. I personally think that when the judge talks to both of the debating sides, both of them are going to be cought lying about something in their side of the story.

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  100. Innis

I think that this girl should do what she beleives in but still respect the ilsamic religion and come back home that way the issue between their family dosn't have to get any worse

September 14, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  101. Selina

I believe the teenage girl was threatend by her parents. She wouldn't run away just to run away. Her parents may not have threatend to kill her, but maybe she was theatend in another way. They should sit down and talk about this with her.

September 14, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  102. Claire

I think the girl and her parents should listen to eachother and work something out. I highly doubt they would kill her because of her religion. They might be mad but they will get over it eventually. Really the girl has the freedom of choosing her own religon.

September 14, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  103. Leslie

Parents need to let kids do what they want and let them make their own choices.

September 14, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  104. Amari

Well i dont think her parents would kill her. I just dont think they like the fact that she has a different religion as them. She has the right to believe in what she wants to believe. She has to search and find which religion is right for here.

September 14, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  105. Matthew

Frankly, I seriously doubt that her parents threatened to kill her, I mean honestly, held a laptop over her head and said 'I'm going to kill you'? Far too melodramatic.

September 14, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  106. Walla Walla

She has the right to change here religion. So her parents should not have threatened to kill. (But that is probably not true). But it is up to the girl.

September 14, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  107. Jenna

I think that she did the right thing to speak her mind. Just because her parents are islamic doesnt mean she can't be a christian girl. She is almost an adult.

September 14, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  108. Jenna

I think that she did the right thing to speak her mind. Just because her parents are islamic doesnt mean she can’t be a christian girl. She is almost an adult, she can make her own choices.

September 14, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  109. Alessandra

I think that the 17 year old girl should go back home and explain to her parents why she wants to turn into a Christian. If her parents abuse her or cause any harm towards her, she should just run away again or wait until the judge is back and tell the judge. She can pick any religion she wants for her future. Besides, it is HER LIFE. Not her parents.

September 14, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  110. connor

I think she was right I also thik that that coverting to christianity is her choise not her parents.

September 14, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  111. Stephanie

i think she has the right to change relegions if she wants to. Also I don't think her parents would threaten to kill her if she never wears a head wrap and she is a cheerleader. So I think her parents are fine if she switches religions.

September 14, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  112. Lyle

I think that the parents didn't threaten her at all. You could tell by the way she was saying she was fighting for her life that she was just trying to get attention. I think it's rediculous that she ran away. I bet you that she ran away because she thought she would get judged by her family. Also, her dad could've yelled but I don't think he would ever kill her. I think this act by her is selfish and it has probly destroyed her family.

September 14, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  113. Amin

Religious conversion
    I think the court should talk to the family and see if they can work it out. The girl should stay with the family if they have appointments every week or so until they feel that the girl can be with her family without being abused. Also if the girl is lying she should be charged for faking a national story.
    Amin

September 14, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  114. Codey

I personaly think that if the girl wants to change religoin its up to her and that her parents are willing to accept it there should not be any arguing or problemns with this topic. The trial is also a non-needed area becuase her parents already said the just want her daughter to come home and they wont hurt/kill her. Its a complet waste of time to have a trial when they already desided not to harm her if she is returned home. In conslusion if the parents agreed to the change there toughts on harming there daughter and just want her home saftly.

September 14, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  115. sofia

I think the girl is free to be whatever religion she wants to convert to as the first amendment say's freedom of speech religion and press, this girls dad doesent look at all convincing to me if the girl decided to run away it must have been for a good reason, maybe he says its fine to come back home and she will be safe but, what if she comes back home and he attents to kill her, nobody really can be sure. If the girl decides to change religion then the parents should let her maybe it is going to help her in the future. maybe the posbiliies of being muslim and getting a job are very little and the posibilities of beign christian maybe bigger. the parents should be ok to let her be whatever she wants to be if they say its wrong then she will regret it in the future. but right now this is her dicicion. its better to let her do whatever she wants to do before she only relys on rebeling againts her parents.

September 14, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  116. Liam

I think people are over reacting. Whatever religion she wants to be is her choice. I think she made up the story as an excuse to run away.

September 14, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  117. Stephanie

I think she has the right to change religions if she wants to. Also I don’t think her parents would threaten to kill her when she never wears a head wrap and she is a cheerleader. So I think her parents are fine if she switches religions and that she should just return home to her family.

September 14, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  118. Vanessa

My opinion on his story is that the parents of course don't want to kill their own daughter, but that Rifqa should be able to convert to whatever religion she wants and be free to live as christian. But, the parents are probably not threatening her with death threats and that she should come home and live her life in a different religion. The solution for this problem should involve no judges or court. But that Rifqa's family should respect her new religion and continue being Muslim if they please. This is just a family problem and should involve no news or judges, but the parents should reassure Rifqa and tell her she is safe to come home. Everyone has a freedom in religion. It is in the constitution!!!!!

September 14, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  119. Will

I think that her parents aren't really going to kill her because they were probably just upset that she does not like being Islamic and her parents were offended. I also think that she should have the right to converse if she wants to.

September 14, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  120. Mary

From my opinion I think that the parents of the girl should just let their daughter believe in whatever she wants. And its not bad that the girl ran away cause if they threaten to kill her then she has a right. The solution for this should be the girl should be living with someone else until a trial is held.

September 14, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  121. Marisol

well I believe that even if Rifqua the girls religion was Islam she should have the right to turn it into any religion that she would like it to be. She should be able to turn her religion into Christianity without her parents killing her. Well how they could solve this problem is that her parents should let her turn into whatever religion that she would like to be.

September 14, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  122. Viviana

My opinion on this story is that the parents are being mean. Maybe Rifqa was lying that her parents wanted to kill her. Rifqa shouldn't of had run away, she should of had talked to her parents first. If Rifqa wanted to convert to Christian she would of had asked her parnest instead of causing everything. I think that she should go back home and talk to her parents. If her parents love her, then they would understand.

September 14, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  123. Azucena

I think that the 17 year old girl should have the freedom to choose a religion that she wants. She ran away from her home cause her parents said that they would kill her. people should be able to have rights to choose what they want. She had talked about Christianity when she was 14. I think that solution should be for her parents to let her choose what ever religion she wants.

September 14, 2009 at 11:24 am |

I was very interested by this story. I think that her parents have no right to kill her just because she changed her religion. It is a free country and anyone can do whatever they want. You have to be out of your right mind to kill your own daughter, and if you do there should be severe consequences.

September 14, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  125. nick

Hey, the reason that I am writing is that I think that her parents should support her in whatever decisions she makes. If my parents threatened to kill me with a laptop because I wanted to change my religion I would run away too.

September 14, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  126. Jake

When I heard the story of the Muslim girl that chose to convert to Christianity I thought to myself that she was a girl that wanted something, tried and successfully got it, and was threatened for her decision. This made me think that she's a girl that isn't afraid of her parents or what she believes in. This girl was extremely scared by the threat coming from her father. This event will scar her for life and she will never forget who threatened to kill her. This is a story that has made my vision about life being good way more than false. It has caused me to believe that your life is yours but if you don't kniw what's yours, you won't know how to run your life. You will be controlled. You don't want this to happen.

September 14, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  127. Heather

I think that her parents were being supportive on the news so they dont seem like the bad guys. I believe what she said was telling the turth about her parents threatenig her. I feel that it was important for a judge to get involed and I dont think she should trust her parents. I realy dont see the big deal for converting to christianity.

September 14, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  128. Melissa

What the parents should do is talk to her about her religion. Because I actually think that she can change her own religion she can become whatever religion she wants to be. She has the right to convert her own religion to Christianity. Her parents can't stop her to convert her religion. They can't kill her because she's changing religion. They should talk to her about that because EVERYONE HAS THERE OWN RIGHT THEY CAN BELIEVE WHATEVER THEY WANT TO BE!!!!!

September 14, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  129. xiomara

In my own opinion I think that the girl has the option to be Muslim or Christian. Their parents shouln't interview in her opinion of religion.To solve this problem I think that the parents should let her pick her religion. If the girl doesn't come back well then they should go to trial because the girl is not 18 years. This is how I think they should solve the problem.

September 14, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  130. Robert

I think that she is faking it and her parents didn't threaten her once. You can tell that she is lying when she said shes fighting for her life. Her parents are inviting her back home and she should come back home to her parents. I dont think most people would threaten someone with a laptop. But i think her parents are lying when they would let her were short skirts and no head rap.Also I dont think she should of switched religion

September 14, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  131. Dainira

In my opinion I think it's good for her to express what religion she wants to be.So what they should do is talk things out with her parents and work things with her. And if she wants to be christian than she should be the one to decide what type of religion she wants to be.and if that doesn't work than she should wait until she's 18 and then convert to a christian.

September 14, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  132. Devlin

I think that the girl should have a right to change her religion because we live in a free country. Also, I think it's good she changed to Christianity because in my opinion, christianity is the way to go if you belive in God. Also, I think her parents should let their daughter follow any religion she wants because it's her life. This is what I think.

September 14, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  133. Carl

I think the girl has the right to convert to Christianity because she can belong to any religion she wants to because anyone in America can, so why not her? I believe the girl should be sent back home and when she thinks she feels threatened she should bring it up to the police. If I were her I would talk to the father and resolve the situation. I think the father just over reacted and was suprised of what she had did. This is what I think should happen to her and her family

September 14, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  134. Citlalli

I think that the girl has the right to convert to Christianity no matter what the parents said. But i don't think that the parents actually try to kill her just because she convert into Christianity is that the case the judge should investigate who is lying if the parents or the girl. The parents should talk with the girl because if they don't solve this problem now I they will have a lot of family problems in the future.

September 14, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  135. Paulette

I think that her perents wouldnt do that because they let her join cheer leading and they didnt get mad and if they havent even tried nor thretend yet im sure she will be safe to retern back home.

September 14, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  136. Matteo

I think that the parents only said they wanted to threatend to kill their daughter only cause they her to change back to the Muslim reglion. Although it is wrong to do this because she took this very seriously that she ran away.
    Also i think you guys didnt say anthing about 9/11 beacause you didnt want to make some kids scared about this cause some dont even know about what had happend on that so sad day.

September 14, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  137. Deborah

In this situation, I think that the girl should just wait to be 18 years old to convert into Christianity. Since she is underage, her parents are the ones in charge of her still. I think that her parents wouldn't kill her, who would kill their own child? But still, I think that she should just agree with what her family's religion is until she is 18 years old to convert into a Christian without any problems with her parents.

September 14, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  138. Damali

I believe that everyone should be able to be any religion they want to be even if there parents are one specific religion everybody should have the right. I also, believe that her parents are over reacting on the girls choice. My solution to this is that she should wait to turn Christian until she is 18, because that way she is already a legalized adult and she can make her own decision and no one can boss her around.

September 14, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  139. jakelyne

Here in America everybody has the right to freedom to religious.Parents should first be able to talk to her daughter, and support her conversion into Christianity.Parents should never put pressure on their daughter, they should act nicely.

September 14, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  140. jasmine

I do not think the family should just sit and discuss the topic of her parents thretaning to kill her.This is a very importent topic.she should be free to change religons =]

September 14, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  141. Charlie

I say the girl should have a choice to her own religion. She is almost 18 and she should be able to make her own decisions. I think the parents are lying about not being angry that she converted.

September 14, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  142. Azucena

I think that the girl should be able to choose her religion. She should have the freedom to choose her life. Her parents should not tell her what religion to choose she ran away from home cause her parents said they were going to kill her. she had first talked about Christianity at the the of 14. I think that the solution should be for her parents should let her choose her religion and her life.

September 14, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  143. Zahida

It all seems very flashy, not something a modest christian or muslim would do, may be that the story to get atention. This is the reflection to some kind of social problem that neither religious society wants to really see. The family should talk and see what was to cause of the problem and see how it would it be fixed or how to deal with the problem.

September 14, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  144. alejandra

My opinion of Rifqa's story is that there is nothing wrong with her wanting to change her religion.In the video of CNN Student News,Her father rejects that he at one time picked up a laptop and told Rifqa he was going to kill her. Rifqa talks about running away.she reported this on facebook.I hope she is fine.And she would be able to be free

September 14, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  145. Pamela

I think the girl made the right choice i don't think she should be in trouble by her father only because she wants to change her religion. The 17 year old girl should have her own freedom and she should live her own life. She needs to have her own rights but she should wait until she is old enough and leave her house.

September 14, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  146. jessica

I think that the girl should talk about her problem with her parent, because its up to the girl if she want to change her religion. Her parent should just agree with her because being a catholic is not so bad............II am catholic and i am proud of it and i kinda agree with her parents she should be proud of her RELIGION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  147. kr&staal :)

i don't think that the parents will kill the girl,but the dad did sound like he was lieing by the way he was saying. I think she should sit down with the family and discuss this. I also think that she has the right to be whatever she likes to.

September 14, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  148. Katrina

I think that the girl has a right to choose her own religion even if it may not be the one her family goes by. If she has to run away than there may be some issues in the household. Getting together to discuss this issue and try to work things out seems to be the best solution. The decision to come back home all depends on whether the girl feels safe enough to come home and trust her family. The threats that came form her father seem likely if the family is very devoted to their religion. The family should tolerate her religion if they ever want to live peacefully in the house and comfortable as they were before.

September 14, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  149. Karli

I believe that God gives this girl free will to do whatever she wants. I am a Christian as well an God gives us a choice to down to different paths (heaven and hell). I agree with the her that she be able to choose her own religion, it states in the first amendment that we have the freedom of SPEECH, RELIGION, AND PRESS. This girl has the right to do or say what she wants, thats what our country states.

September 14, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  150. Cladia

In my opinion i don't think the parents would kill her because the 17 year girl was once their religion.But yet again children never lie.I think the parents are the ones lying.I believe the girl should be able to be any religion she wishes.I think they should take a lying detective test and get counseling.

September 14, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  151. Anissa

I think that the parents are lying about being fine with their daughter changing her religion. I think that they should take a lie-detector test just to see if the parents are really fine or if they really want to kill her. The teenage girl has the right to believe what ever she wants.

September 14, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  152. Cassandra

I think that the parents wouldn't kill her. But they would have a long talk with their daughter. I think the parents should take a lie detector to find out if they are really telling the truth. If they really accused her of killing her for giving up her Muslim religion to being Christian. They should tell the truth before things get worst.

September 14, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  153. Michelle

I think that the girl should have talked to her parents first and then see what they had to say, instead of running away and saying that her parents are going to kill her. But really everyone has the right to change their religion with no one harming or making you change it. Even though i think her parents do not agree to her change of religion, they will find a way to harm her. The girl shouldn't come home at all until the parents prove that their not mad at her and will not harm her!!! ❤

September 14, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  154. Emily

I believe that the parents could be lying about being fine with her converting to Christianity. I think that the seventeen year old girl should be able to convert to Christianity without being threatened to be killed by her OWN parents. She has the right of freedom of speech. In my opinion I think there is a posibility that her own parents could kill her. But also maybe they could as a family just doing this for publicity and fame.

September 14, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  155. Chelsea

I believe this story is something to get attention. I am not saying that The girl shouldn't talk about her problem it's just that she didn't have to run away but she shoul;d have at least went to someone or her christian prayer group to tell about the comments her dad is saying about her wanting to be a christian. I believe everyone should have a right to believe in what they want. It's in the Bill of Rights. I believe that the solution by the judge is a good one because through this the family won't have such a tough time going back to being a family.

September 14, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  156. Belle

I Think the girl may be exaggerating the situation and making it bigger than it is,they probably made a comment and she blew it out of proportion towards her fears of becoming a christian

September 14, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  157. Belle

She already created enough of a mess, she probably just needs to find a new place to stay, ect.

September 14, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  158. Jordan

I think that she just freaked out for no reason. I mean its a big change switching religions so she is probably just very confused right now and needs time to cool down . She's making it sound worse than it actuall is just so she can have her way.

September 14, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  159. Austin

I think she should have the right to be whatever she wants. To me, most people believe in what there peers or parents believe in and for her to take a stand on her own I think is great!

September 14, 2009 at 11:48 am |

I beleive that this girl has the right to choose her own religion. Just because she converted to Christianity doesn't mean her parents have to threaten to kill her. Everyone has the right to their own religion, and if someone is going to be threatened or possibly killed over it, what has happened to this country?

September 14, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  161. Janai

I think she has all the rights in the world to change her perspectives. But i dont get the fact that her dad wants to kill her ova this.

September 14, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  162. Rafiki

I think this is a one of the most extreme things i've heard of in a family. What's really bizaar to me is that the family would not try to understand what the daughter is going through, instead they do some irrational things(threatining to kill her) and makes her leave. I think the family is wrong here, because the child has freedom of religion as stated in the first ammendment

September 14, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  163. Savana

The solution might help. But if the parents really would kill the girl for becoming Christian then the solution wouldn't really have an effect because once the parents think something then once everyone stops giving them so much attention then everything will be back to the way it was.

September 14, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  164. Ben

I think people should have the right to be what they want to be. i mean the parents just cant kill her all because she wants to be a christian. If you ask me i think the parents to move back to there country.

September 14, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  165. Auston

lmao this is the funniest thing ive ever herd.First of all how did the girl get to florida from way up there second,who tells their child there ganna kill them! I think muslams should be banned from the U.S because all they do is cause problems from blowing up stuff,to killing children they need to go back to their country with that, its a big headach trying to avoid them because you never know what they are up to!

September 14, 2009 at 11:51 am |

I think she should go back home because she probaly dont have no where else to go . i also think she is too young to be out on her own. i do think it should be her choice on what kind of religion she wants too be in though!!

September 14, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  167. jeremy

September 14, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  168. DracoMalfoy

. The girl was being a little mellow dramatic also. I mean isn’t she like 18? She an adult and adults make their own decisions… ans really, running away from home? posting that on facebook? she was clearly looking for attention.

September 14, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  169. Katie

No one can really know the truth behind the conflict. She could be over reacting, but maybe her parents really are deep Muslim believers. It is expected for them to be upset, but I don’t believe this family would “kill” their own daughter.

September 14, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  170. Jacob

This is a touchy subject because we dont know whether or not her parents are peaceful Muslims or extremists, such as Al-Queda. He can say to the camera's that he loves her but we dont know whether this is the case behind closed doors so to speak. But then again he could really be telling the truth and she could be looking for attention

September 14, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  171. Carmen

It dosn't really matter what one person want to belive in. As long they are happy in what they belive in.

September 14, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  172. Sam

I think that the family should try and work it out and figure why she wanted to change rligons.

September 14, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  173. Alexander

The girl should go to whatever religon she thinks is best for her.

September 14, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  174. Chandler

I don't think shes making it up about the killing.On the video her father didn't sound so concerned.You're able to tell by the face expression and by what he said. However a parent should never threaten to kill a child just because she/he want to express thier opinion.

September 14, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  175. Marcus

Since I am Christian I really dont know anything about being Muslim . But I do know that since her parents are Muslim that means her parents teach her all the Muslim ways of living . But its her choice what she wants to be either Christian , Jewish , or whatever religion she is trying to be . She shuld have that freedom to choose that .

September 14, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  176. Felipe

I don' think that the father is telling the truth about not telling the daughter about killing her. The muslim girl should be whatever religion she wants to be and her parents shouldn't kill her for that.

September 14, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  177. Kahmani

I think everyone has the right to thier own religon.that's why we have freedom of religon in the USA.And since they live in america they have to respect the rights of america.

September 14, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  178. Sam

I think that the family should try and work it out and figure out why she wanted to change religons.

September 14, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  179. Ishmael

Start a program to get students into and show kids the conciquences of going to college and dropping out .

September 14, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  180. Jazmine

I dnt thimk her parents r tellin the truth, if she wants to chang religion then she can. America is a free country. Cuz wen she is older they cant tell her wat to do.

September 14, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  181. Conrad

I don't think that they would really kill her but I do think they are pretty disapointed because after all it is there religion. What they need to do is sit down with her and talk to her in a calm way.

September 14, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  182. Surada

We all the right to believe in what we want to. It’s said in the 1st amendment. I really think the parents are over acting. It’s just something that not a big deal but they just make it big, and I don’t really think her parents going to kill her because I don’t think parents going to kill their own child.

September 14, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  183. David

To keep kids from dropping out I would have more activities for the kids. Ones that they like not ones that the staff thinks the kids would like. Teachers should get to know thier students ask questions and find out what the kids like. The staff can get together and figure out what the students like. I know not all schools can afford this but they shoud try to at least make he school injoyable for he students.

September 14, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  184. Matt

Her parents are obviously lying and they do plan to kill her I have never seen a worse lyer

September 14, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  185. richard

I think the girl should get adopted because her parents might hurt her.

September 14, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  186. justin

I think this story about the family and killing there daughter is all one huge lie. I think this because the family looks sounds and acts like there a normal family. Plus they evan let the girl were a cheerleading outfit with nothing covering here face. WICH is against there religen.

..... and i think that it was very wierd that you did not evan say anything about 911. i think its kinda rude that you guys didnt say anything.

ps not evan the tv had any of the tapes or movies about it on....kinda wierd

September 14, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  187. kyle

i feel that she should have a choice on her religion. the only thing that she shouldn’t have a choice on is running away or staying, but i would run away if my parents threaten to kill me. When running away i wouldn't run away that far though.

p.s. about last week on 9/11/09 you should have talked about the twin towers being attacked, so on the next anniversary of 9/11 i think you should talk about it.

September 14, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  188. Jae-young

I heard about stric priciples of Muslim, so in one side, I can understand the father's situation. He really wanted to back his doughter from Christianity. Thus, he would said " I will kill you" to her. However, I think he have to talk with her and respect her thought and not to forget that as he is, she is also a human who has right to choose his religion.

September 14, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  189. Richard

I think she should talk to her parents. Like talk to her parents about why can't she become Christian and why would her dad kill her. I don't think her dad would kill her because it’s on the news and if he does everyone would know and he will probably get arrested.

September 14, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  190. Will

The problem is who do you believe the parents or the girl, Maybe the parents were going to kill her or maybe she just wants to go to florida.

September 14, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  191. Valerie

I think that it wasn't a good idea for the girl to run away. Also i don't think that the parents really threaten to kill her because if they let her be a cheer leader and not where the head scarf. Then why would they kill her just because she wants to convert.

P.S I think that you should have discussed the anniversary of 9/11 on the day, not the next week. Even though you talked about it, and I glade u did. I just think you should have talked about it on 9/11.

September 14, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  192. Dan

i think that story about the 17 year old girl was stupid because the parents should let their kid BELIVE WHAT SHE WANTS it dosent matter . Also it was good that her parents let her do cheer leading. she got 2 wwear a short skirt and didnt hajib on her head . I think she should go home thought were she is safe but first the family should talk.

p.s.you should have talked more about 911 that is real imporant to the usa. We need to honor those people who pasted

September 14, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  193. SnowySteve

I think that they should let her become a cristin. I think this because she a teenager and she has the right to do what she wants. She has the freedome of her live because she is 18 or older.

September 14, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  194. Spencer

I think the judge should make the family meet. The judge should force the parents to never make a death threat again. Let the child convert to the religon she wants. The judge should say you can talk about but never yell or make any kind of threat. Let the parent explian how sorry they are. Then the judge should give them a second chance.

September 14, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  195. kyle

I feel that she should have a choice on her religion. The only thing that she shouldn’t have a choice on is running away or staying, but I would run away if my parents threaten to kill me. When running away I wouldn't run away that far though. i would run away to california or somewhere in that area

p.s. about last week on 9/11/09 you should have talked about the twin towers being attacked, so on the next anniversary of 9/11 I think you should talk about it, since it happened in new york city.

September 14, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  196. Richard

September 14, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  197. Victoria

I think that getting everyone together to discuss the situation and try to work things out might be a very good idea. There wouldn't be any harm done in attempting to resolve the issue. Everyone would be able to say what they each think and how they feel. When you get everyone together, thetruth comes out. And personally, I think that if she wants to be a Christian, she has every right to be. They should have thought about their religion before they chose to live in America. It's a free country for a reason.

September 14, 2009 at 12:49 pm |
  198. Katie

I could tell by the looks of her father that he wasn't being honest. I think he would commit an honor killing and I wish the judge would declare her an adult so she could live her life for Christ and be a witness to other Islamic women that want to convert.

September 14, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  199. tiana

i think that she shouldn't go home just to be safe because they could really kill her .

September 14, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  200. Muchachataco

I dont think the daughter should return home because when the father was talking, you could tell he was nervous and was in denial.

September 14, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  201. mclean

I think that that girl that is converting religions should be able to. We have been taught our lifes here in america that nobody controls what we do but there could be consequences. If she decides to beleive in christianity she should be able to beleive in that. I also think that her dad was threatening her but was not going to follow through in the action of killing her. She should return home and do what the judge thinks that can solve this family crisis.

September 14, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  202. Bekah

I think that Rifca could just be trying to get attention, but i also think that it's possible that she didn't make it up and her dad is lying because obviously he's not gonna say that he did threaten to kill her. I just don't know what to think.

September 14, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  203. Jeffro

Religion is part of what makes us who we are, and she has the right to belive in what she thinks is right. Religion is part of the human experience and the belief in yourself.

September 14, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  204. Shelbe

That girl needs to run and never come back. You can tell that her parents were lieing i would never trust someone who wants to kill me. The court needs to stay out of it that girl could be in serious trouble.Say the girl goes home and her parents beat or kill her for converting then it is all of the courts fault for taking the parents for granted

September 14, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  205. Muchachanata

I think that the daughter had a right to run away because their religion says that any traitors have to be killed. So she thought that she was in danger so she ran. If I were in her shoes I would do the same. They need to sit down and have a rational discussion. We have the right of free religion it's in our constution so let her she is going to college soon so leave her alone.

September 14, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  206. Dennis

My beliefs about this deliema is that this girl should be allowed to support any religion she feels like. Though running away instead of confronting her parents was a wrong decision I believe that this meeting that has been sentecend by the Judge will help and any theats made will if they were, will be abolished and this girl will be able to live with islamic family even thought she is christian.

September 14, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  207. Aliyah

I believe all people have the right to be their own person. If that means becoming a Christian, well then the girl has the right to follow her heart. Also, how would you like to be withheld from something you believe in or wanted to be? This girl wanted happiness, and if her family is unhappy with her conversion, then she should have definitely talked to them about her decision, not run away from home. But, running away also proves the point that this girl wanted Christianity so badly, that she would risk leaving her family, her protection, to fight for what she believed in. By the way, I believe that you should have shown a 9/11 broadcast for those who lost their lives and for the heroes. They are important and should never be forgotten.

September 14, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  208. mclean

Religion is what makes us who we are and she should be able to be who she wants to be. i do think that it was wrong for the ohio universery guy to baptise her without parental permission.

September 14, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  209. dyan

If you feel threatened then you have every right to leave. But sometimes people say things that they really don't mean when they get mad. If her family is wanting her to come back hme then she should, because you are lucky to be surrounded by people who love you no matter what.

September 14, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  210. James

Everyone has the right to believe whatever they want to believe. Many people don't understand that. They think they can go the way they want to and tell everyone to believe that way. Even the first amendment says that everyone has the freedom of religion.

September 14, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  211. Ally,Tara,Amber

I think the daughter should were a secret hidden camera on here clothes. That way she would have proof that her parents said they was going to kill her.

September 14, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  212. May

The girl and her parents should talk about their problems together. I think if this girl is really getting threatened, then she should have the right to believe what she wants to. But if she's making up that her parents really want to kill her, then she should stop this and go home to her family. I just think everyone should calm down about this. And about there not being a 9/11 special on Friday, I'm fine either way. I think we should honor the people who died and helped that day, but shouldn't dwell on the past too much because that will distract us on the present.

September 14, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  213. Lulu

I think the girl had every right to run away. Her parents were definately lieing, and they showed it. It's great for the girl that she converted, but her parents shouldn't have threatened her just for her beliefs. People in this country should believe in whatever religion they want. Part of who we are is our religion. It says a lot about your self.

September 14, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  214. Jonathan

I do not think the meeting will help. I think the dad is just acting for the camera and she is not doing anything wrong. she should not go back with her parents.

September 14, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  215. Lola

I think that the girl should be able to believe in whatever religion they want. If her parents really have a problem with it, then they should talk to her about it. They probably wouldn't kill her for changing religions. I don't agree with the judge's decision because what if she's telling the truth? Then someone might really get hurt. I guess that it's really up to the girl and her parents to decide what they want to do.

Also, I'm glad that you didn't cover a story about 9/11. I think that it's time everyone should just acknowledge it every few years. It happened in the past and we can't change what happened.

September 14, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  216. Twan

I am Catholic, but everyone has the right to believe what they want to, but it's great that she decieded to convert. As for her moving away, that's another thing. Her parents allowed her to act like a normal american girl. They even allowed her to go on to Christian chat rooms. She shouldn't have left them. I don't see any evidence that her parents threatened her, actually she just sounds like she is wanting attention. However, if she doesn't want to see her parents, the judge shouldn't make her.

September 14, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  217. Lamisa

I think this girl is being overly dramatic. I'm not saying this to belittle her, I’m saying this because I am a Muslim, and absolutely NOWHERE in the Quran does it say that you are allowed to kill someone. If this girl's parents were that angry, they would try to talk to her. I also think that the media shouldn't have gotten involved with this situation. Maybe this family would have been able to get over the situation, but the media is blowing this WAY out of proportion. On top of that, people have a bad enough image of Muslims as it is, thinking we're terrorists after 9/11. We don't need to add murderers to that image. Speaking of 9/11, I noticed that there was not a huge deal about 9/11 on student news. I think this was a good idea, because we need to stop dwelling on the past.

September 14, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  218. Jonathan

I do not think the meeting will help. I think the dad is just acting for the camera and she is not doing anything wrong. she should not go back with her parents..

September 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  219. Claire

I think that if this girl wants to become Christian, then she has a right to. She's almost eighteen, and she is old enough to make her own decisions. If she is allowed to be a cheerleader, then her parents should have no problem with her converting to Christianity! By the way, thank you for not covering the 9/11 story on Friday. It was a disaster in our country, and we do not need to be reminded of it. We should stop living in the past, and start thinking about what will happen in the future.

September 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  220. Eddington

I do not think this meeting will help. I think the is just most likely acting for the cameras and when she comes back will harm or taunt her in some way.

September 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  221. Daniel

I think that the daughter was right to leave her family. If she really felt that she needed to run away, then something was obviously wrong. While the parents may not have been serious about actually killing her, it seems serious enough that it wasn't safe for her to stay at home. However, I still feel that she should go to the meeting and settle things out – because the parents seem willing to cooperate at this point.

September 14, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  222. riley

parents shoulden't judge what religion we have, it should be are decision.

September 14, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  223. Timmy

I think that the daughter should come home to her family. I think this because her parents wouldn't actually kill her and she is safe at home. They should still go to the mediation to settle things out. Also, her parents should allow her to be Christian because she is a person and she should be allowed to think and do what she wants. Even though she had the right to leave her family, she should go home where she belongs. As her parents said, they are willing to compromise because they let her be a cheerleader and not wear a head skirt. So I think they would be willing to compromise with her on her religious beliefs. Finally, I was just wondering about why you didn't say anything about 9/11 on Friday. It is a very important matter and you didn't say anything about it. I think it was not right and you should have at least mentioned it in a segment of your show.

September 14, 2009 at 1:22 pm |

I believe that someone of her age can make the decision to believe in whatever religion they want. Although I don't believe it's wrong for them to be displeased with her decision, I definately feel that it's bad if they actually threatened to kill her. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with converting to a religion if you feel that the new religion is based on better beliefs. I also think it is vital to get the parents and daughter together for some type of mediation.

September 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  225. Josh

I think the girl had the right to run away if her parents were threating her. She has the right to belive in what ever she wants to believe in. Her parents shouldnt have made her stay muslem. I think the girl was very brave running away fromhom.

September 14, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  226. Michelle

I feel bad for her. Being scared to come inside your own home is terrible. I think that was wrong of her dad to threaten her to kill her. Everyone has a right to convert to any religion when they want to. If her parents had a problem with it, they should have talked to their daughter whenever they had the chance to. I'm glad she ran away, otherwise she would have been possibly killed.

September 14, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  227. Brianna

Its not fair that this girl doesn't get to change her own religion! She should be able to convert to Christianity if she wants to. I also think that if her parents really threatened her than I can see why she is so upset. She was unhappy with her original religion and her parents didn't support her decision. That is really terrible. By the way, I strongly believe you should have done more on 9/11. That is very important to our country.

September 14, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  228. Greyson

I think that the police should make sure she'll be safe before returning her to her home, I know I wouldn't want to live with someone who would kill me. Also, I think the judge isn't treating this like a possible case in just calling a meeting, he's treating it like a misunderstanding between the child and the parents.

By the way why wasn't there any mention of 9/11 on 9/11? We shouldn't forget to honor the heroes that died that day.

September 14, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  229. Sikai

I think the girl has the right to change to a different religion. However, I highly doubt that the parents tried to kill her. In the video, her parents seemed nice enough. Many people these days have negative views on the Muslim people. Everyone thinks they're all crazy people that try to attack the U.S. I don't believe the girl saying she was tacked by the laptop. She's probably just exaggerating about it and looking for news attention.

September 14, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  230. Shaylyn

I beleive that anyone has the right to believe in which ever religion they want to belive in. Although, this girl's parents obviously think much differently. When we watched the news we saw the parents being interveiwed. In a way, I was surprised to see that the parents were worried about their daughter, that they were giving her a choice in what religion she wants to follow, and even alowed her to be on the cheer leading team at school. Although, they show a different side and personality from what the girl claims them to be. She claims that they have threatened to kill her with a laptop, so that is why she has run away. In my personal opition, she is too young to be deciding what religion she wants to follow and should follow her parent's orders. Although, if I were in this girl's situation I would probally want to have things my way and argue with my parents on the situation as well. Despite the fact that she may have her own opinion of her religon, I think that she should reunite with her family. If they really love eachother they can work around their differences and live in peace once again.
    While I have your attention, I think that CNN should have mentioned 9/11. Although it was a sad day for many, we should all look back and honor all of the people who were there.

September 14, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  231. Zay

i think her family did say that cause what teenager would lie about something like that i mean i feel like u have the right to doNor be anthing u eant

September 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  232. samantha

i think they should have a talk to her and see if something would happen when they sit down and talk and if something happens then she should not go back home to them. i think she should have the right to see new things see what there in life. so i think they should try and talk and see what happen from there.

September 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  233. Zay

I think her family did say that cause what teenager would lie about something like that i mean i feel like u have the right to do Nor be anthing u want

September 14, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  234. Raymond

What I think is that the girl father will hit her her and that she is over reacting.What should be done here is that the parents should talk to their doughter the importance of their relligion and how it means to them that they have the same relligion.I don’t think that the parents would actually kill her just because of the girls religion.

September 14, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  235. katherine

i think that if my parents would tell me that they going to kill me i will never come back to my house.i will not disscuss anything with them and i will not meet up with them or the judges ill call them and let them know that im working.

September 14, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  236. Michelle

I think her parents was to overbord. because i could understand if they wanted to kill her. i would be scared to. but in the other hand she should go talk with her parents. that the best way of eveything..

September 14, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  237. Marco

I think that a good idea to have the girl met with the father and confront him. But I don't think the girl father will hit her and that she is over reacating. She think the father will hit her because all his life he has been a Muslim. She was to scare to sat down with him and talk about how he felt if she change religious.

September 14, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  238. Marianny

If my parents said to me that he want to kill me because i change my religion i will do is run away of him... and ask for help.. I thinks that she do the rights decision.

September 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  239. Zina

I dont believe that this story is ture because if her mom and dad let her become a cheerleader where they wear short skirts and she didnt have to waer the head covering on her head. i believe that her perants didnt not agree with her chagning her reglion and she felt if she didnt feel fit in with natio.

September 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  240. gigi

i think that the parents will be able to understand the problem and they should work it out in a court because they may not kill her but they could hurt her while they try to work it out because for some adults it is important for their children to have the family religon but they probably could understand her thoughts on the case

September 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  241. Emily

Why would a parent kill their child just because she wants to be a different religion then they are? I think the parents a overreacting about this matter.

September 14, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  242. Ronika

The parents should told her about her religion when she was a young girl but if she don't like her relgion then she should deal with it.

September 14, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  243. Matthew

she should go home and talk this over with her parents. She should be free to chose what she belives in and where she worships.

September 14, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  244. Lana

I think the judges solution would be best. If she ran away to prevent being killed by her parents she must think they were actually going to hurt her, so talking about it would probably be the best solution for everyone.

September 14, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  245. Zack

I think that the muslims do have a very strong faith and belief and for the muslim girl's dad to hear that she doesn't believe in what they believe him sort of upset him, but i think she was overreacting by running away to Florida when she leaves all the way up in Ohio.

September 14, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  246. Brandy

If she wants to change religions then let her. Her parents did not need to say they were going to kill her. There is nothing they can do to stop her from changing religions.

September 14, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  247. alex

I think that this case is just a sham and how I do not think that the girl’s father would kill her and I do not think that they would not be a little disappointed in her by the fact that she is not going to stay Islamic. Typically people blow things out of proportion and it becomes a bigger deal than it needs to be.

September 14, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  248. Chris

I think that the girl should talk with her parents in court. That way they can all discuss they're opinions and what they really said. Right now its hard to know who to belive...

September 14, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  249. Anthony

I dont think that the girl will just run away from home just for switching religion. There must of been something that happened at home to make her run away. Something that the parents arent telling us.

September 14, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  250. James

I believe that this seems to be a little out of hand. Yes it is true that the parents would naturally be a little disappointed in the fact that she is now Christian but I don’t think they would kill or even threaten to kill her. She has the right to choose whatever religion she wants without any one trying to influence her. I think the daughter is taking this way out of proportion and simply trying to get attention like all teenagers do.

September 14, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  251. Max

I think that the muslims have a very strong faith and that the daughter needs to understand that, but at the same time her parents shouldn't force her to be something she's not. I hope that they go to the hearing and figure out that muslim is important to the parents and that christianty is important to the girl. They worship the same god, they just see him in a defferent way.

September 14, 2009 at 2:21 pm |

The parents are crazy if they would kill their daughter over religion. If she wants to be Christian then she should be allowed to do so. I think the judge made the right call by sitting them all down so they can talk about it. Now they might actually get something accomplished.

September 14, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  253. Raymond

I think that the parents should punish her because if it is their religion they should follow it and stick with it. I also think the US government should back out the way of the family.

September 14, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  254. Chase

I think that the daughter should be able to choose what she wants to do. If she doesn't want to return home because she feels threatened then let her do that. She is a teenager and should be able to make decisions on her own. They need to stop making such a big deal and let her decide what to do.

September 14, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  255. Alayna

I think that the girl has the right to believe in what she wants to believe in...Freedom of religion. She gets to choose what she believes in whether it be Muslim, or Christianity, and her parents can't take that right away from her. The judge is doing the right thing, in my opinion, by working and talking things out, but they also need to investigate why a teenager would say that her parents threatened to kill her. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't...that's what they need to investigate.

September 14, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  256. Harry

I think that they should make sure that the parents didn't threaten her. If that's the truth, and her parents really will let her be Christian, they should forget this issue. If they did threaten her, they take her away, and give the parents visistation. They really should let her choose her religion. One of the things that makes us American is the fact that we have choice of words, freedom to meet, and freedom of RELIGION. This is actually a big issue for some families!

September 14, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  257. Max

I think that the girl should work it out with her father, im not sure if the father would kill her or not about religion but they could probably work that out too.

September 14, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  258. Maria

I don't really think that her parents would kill her for changing religion. I think that she should talk to them and they should understand that she has different beliefs. If they let her show her hair and wear skirts, which was against their religion then I think they will accept that she's Christian

September 14, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  259. Tim

I don't know very much about different religions, but I don't think that she ran away just for attention. I think that her parents actually wanted to kill her. If she said on facebook that she was going to run away, she probably meant it.

September 14, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  260. Haley

Why would her parents want to kill her if she changes her religion? That is so stupid. I say she moves back home and the parents should say sorry to their daughter for what they said. If she wants to stay in Florida she can if she wants to. I would like to hear what’s going on at the trial.

September 14, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  261. Kaboo

My perspective of the situation is that anyone can believe what they want to. It would not be fair to take her right from her. If her dad actually threatend her then that would not be right. Because in america we have the 1st amendment.

September 14, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  262. neal

i think it is really stupid because people should choose there religion and the parents cant decide for her. i think they were going to kill her because they seemed to be to nice. she should sue them because she didnt deserve that. she seemed like a nice person.:( not happy face

September 14, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  263. Mason

I THINK THAT SHE HAS HER RIGHTS AND SHE CAN CHOOSE WHATEVER RELIGION SHE WANTS TO AND IF THE PARENTS HURT HER BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO BE CHRISTIAN THAN THEY NEED TO OPEN THERE EYES TO THE WORLD AND SEE WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND THE WORLD. THAT IS JUST BAD PARENTING.

September 14, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  264. KUMARR

this whole situation is ridiculous. It is a childing event that escaladed into somthing horrendus when the girl ran away from home. The judge is making a good decision by creating a remediation period. Their are lots of religions like muslims, budist , and vegetarians! but it is good for the rents to let their daughter belive what she wants.

September 14, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  265. neal

those parents are mean

September 14, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  266. Dalton

I think this publicity is an invasion of privacy. They should let her follow what she believes.

September 14, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  267. Ivy

She can do what she wants, she's practically an adult already and if she wants to switch rerligions then she should be allowed to. Her parents shouldn't be allowed to order her to participate in a religion she doesn't beleive in.

September 14, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  268. Monica

I think that the public should stay out of this case. It's a problem between the family and the judge, not everyone else. I think that we the people should stay out of the case and let the family deal with it. Weather she goes back home and works things out or not is her problem not the population of America's.

September 14, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  269. Maddie (:

I understand where she is coming from, when she ran away. I know because i converted my religion to from Christan to Wicca. I know she feels because my parents where also like " What did you say!" and " No I forbid you!" I felt hurt and betrayed like she probably does. I still feel like she should go and try to arrange something with her parents. If that does not work out then she can do what she wants. Hey it worked for me!

September 14, 2009 at 2:27 pm |

I think that both sides are telling the truth and lying at the same time. The parents could be doing this so they can kill her. The girl is pobably trying to get money from this. It's just rediculous. They are arguing like little kids trying to get the bigger cookie. I believe they should just do the trial and forget about it.

September 14, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  271. Liz

I say they don't get together and just let the girl stay in Florida. She's obviously happier there than with a psychotic parent that wants to kill her with his evil laptop... OF DOOM! So they should just leave their daughter alone and let her live her own life.

September 14, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  272. Y'Quana

i think that she is just having trouble with her parents and she feels that she needs top leave or get out the house. i think that she should just sit down and talk with her family and settle there problmes. If i was the dad i would be very ashamed ,becuase his daughter trys to run away an then she has it on news then she said that her family tryed to kill her .....
    shes something else ...

September 14, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  273. david

i think that this girl is a big load of phoney boloni. why would her parents kill her for no reason. This is a strange perdicament to be in for such a young age. Even though she is the worst lier in histroy. This girl needs mental help. Unless the father is trying to act like the good guy for the camera then he is to blaim!!!!!!!!. This supposetly 17, 18 year is to dramatic for my liking who ever thinks she is` innosent then you are bling.

September 14, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  274. fernando

I think this is a difficult situation for a girl to go through. with her parent s threatning to kill her and she running away is something to be concerned about. my opinion for this is that a parent should talk to their daughter instead of scaring her.

September 14, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  275. GuiL

I didnt actually believe that her parents were actually going to kill her because when they were talking to the reporter, they were'nt nervous, didnt studer, or anything. On my opinion, a parent would be stressed out about these things. This is the first time I heard something like this and I'm impressed with the story!

September 14, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  276. iara

I think that the girl is lying because her parents wouldnt kill her just because she changed her religion. She was over reacting. And why would she move to florida. she problably has a friend or a boyfriend that lives in florida and she wants to get rid of her parents.

September 14, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  277. Danielle

I think it's kind of weird that someone would change religion. I dont think her dad really mattered to the point of killing her. If her dad let her be a cheerleader and not wear their clothes he wouldn't really threatend to kill her.

September 14, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  278. Sheyla

I think that everyone has the right to believe on what they want to, and her parents doesnt have the right to tell her what she should be. God gave us a free life and we do what we want with it, and if she thinks that christianity is the right one and she feels comfortable being christian thats her poblem and her parents cant do anything about, just because they are muslim. But i also think that she doesnt have to leave her house, i think she should just go talk to them and work things out.

September 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  279. Lucas

I don't believe that the parents would be capable of killing the girl. Both parties acted with infantility. When parents say that they'll kill you, it doesn't always mean that they'll kill their son/daughter, because it can solely be an explosive reaction, but I would still run away from home because I would be scared. I highly recommend family therapy!

September 14, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  280. William

I dont think her father was bein legitamit when he said that. I think he was just mad. I think the family needs counciling.

September 14, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  281. devin

I think that she shouldnt be threatend for what she wants to be and that her parents should just get over it .

September 14, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  282. Dani

I think that it's good that she wanted to be Christian. It's important to pursue your goals. Her parents should not be able to control her life. They say that she needs to wear a face scarf, but I think that she should be able to wear what she wants to. She's seventeen so she didn't have to run away, she could've moved out instead. She could go away and stay away if she wanted to. I think it unfair that her parents want her to be the same religion as them. When she moves out she needs to get a job and she has a better chance of doing that if she's Christian. She has freedom to choose what she wants to. God made it so that we could think for ourselves.

September 14, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  283. Jeff

I don't think the father was actually going to kill her but was really mad at the moment and just sayed it. I think the girl over reacted and shouldn't have ran away, her father wants her to come back home and sayed he wont hurt her so i think she should come home and the family should get some counciling.

September 14, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  284. jenlu

I think instead of runing away she should of tryed to work it out. She was
    scared.

September 14, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  285. Louis

The way I see it, no mediation will resolve the situation unless both parties can agree on what did and did not happen.

September 14, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  286. steve

i think she has her own rights. that why she came to the us posable

September 14, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  287. gabi

I think the muslim girls parents should not threaten her. But you don't know if the girls lying!

September 14, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  288. Brian

I think that it is fine for her to change her religion because this is a free country not a controlled government or empire.

September 14, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  289. Austin

This girl should be able to convert but I don't know if I believe that the girls father threatened to kill her. I'm pretty sure that she is just being a drama queen. I'm sure that her parents weren't exactly happy with her decision to convert, but I highly doubt that her parents threatened to kill her... that's ridiculous

September 14, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  290. Carl

I think the girls dad is full of it, and she telling the truth. Who knows maybe it is the other way around

September 14, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  291. PLUS 2

One student felt that by not bringing to court it avoided a lot of money being spent and really it is not that big of a deal, she didn't break any laws. Some other students feel that it should have gone to court to be safe than sorry. By going to court it would have been safer for her and more efficient for both parties.. Also, you never can be too careful about peoples safety, but if she comes up missing it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

September 14, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  292. stephanie

i think that she jest got scared and thought if she chaged her relijon.i think she should not have ran away.i beliveher parets are telling the truth

September 14, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  293. Merideth

I do not think it was alright for her to change her religion because she was raised as a Muslim so she should stick with it.

September 14, 2009 at 4:21 pm |

I think that the parents of the teen should not be acting this way. She wanted to convert to be a christin. SO WHAT???!!! I mean, my mom and dad would be accepting of the fact tht i switched religions. sure they would be mad, but they wouldn't try to kill me! It's her life, she should do what she wants to. I mean, gosh! All the publicity is not going to help the situiation. This is what I predict will happen, whenever repoters go to interview the parents, the parents are going to lie. tht will make the teen look bad. Teen's parents, if you are reading this, GIVE THE GIRL A BREAK!!!!!!

September 14, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  295. Jamie

Her parents do have a job to tell her what to do but it is her religion not her parents because she is 18 and she ROCKS!

September 14, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  296. angelagh

I dont think that she ran away for swiching her religion i think the parents probably said a lie because what he said goes on cnn student news and alot of pepole wach it and he did not want to sound mean

September 14, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  297. Zach

I think he her parents should let her do what she wants to do and mainly what god is telling her to do. She should be free to chose what she belives in and where she worships.

September 14, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  298. Caitlin

I think that this is not right I do not know the whole story but what I do know that someone has to be lying. I think she should be able to be able to beleive in what ever she wants to because one thing is that right now we have missionarys risking there lifes to go and get the messege of christains out. So let here be what she wants it's her life let her choose.

September 14, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  299. Connor

I think she should be able to choose her own religion. Every person should have their own freedom. Their parents shouldn't be that controling.

September 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  300. dane

this is america we are free those parents should be ashamed!

September 14, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  301. Josh

I think that this girl is faking it an someone on the internet is telling her to do this and i think this person is in florida because she wouldn't just run away all the way to florida for no reason unless this person told her to go there to stay with him

September 14, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  302. Jaylin

This girl was brave for changing religions. Muslim families can be very strict about who and when they worship. I give her props for taking a risk and speaking up about her beliefs.

September 14, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  303. kiven

I believe the dad was doing the right thing and was not lying. Also, the dad was being kind by letting her do cheerleading, it lets her have more freedom. I think she is confused and just needs help.

September 14, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  304. Zoey

I think that it's great that she chose to become a christian but, she shouldnt of ran away from home. Her parents also shouldnt her judge her for her conversion.

September 14, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  305. Michael

I think she should ave the right to do whatever she feels right, however The was the law system is setup she has no proof that her parents said anything, No one way there and her parents don't agree on what she says

September 14, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  306. Mr.Chavez's Class

Our thoughts on Rifqa Bary's conversion are that we are happy she's making a very grown up decision all on her own. We think she needs to talk to her family and that they should respect her change of religion.

September 14, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  307. Joseph

I believe that a girl of Rifqa’s age has the right to make the decision of what religion to believe in. Also, I don’t see anything wrong if her parents were just displeased with her decision to convert. I think that everyone’s entitled to an opinion. However, I strongly feel that her parents shouldn’t have allegedly threatened to kill her, no matter how displeased. Instead, I think the family should look into some mediation like the judge ordered. That way, Rifqa and her family could possibly avoid a trial. She and her family are already getting so much attention, and I assume it’s all unwanted. If they didn’t need a trial, that would mean a lot less.

September 14, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  308. Matthew

I don’t think the father would have killed her. Some people are very religious and expect their family to share their religion. Culture is a big part of some peoples’ lives. I think the father felt very frustrated and mad when he heard that his daughter was converting. He said it out of rage with no intention of killing her at all. People will often say things when they’re mad even when they don’t mean it.

September 14, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  309. Noah

I think that everyone has a right to there freedom and that includes religios beliefs

September 14, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  310. Jared

I say more power to her because Christianity is a religion that is losing power. Finally we have a person willing to fight to keep it. Thanks

September 14, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  311. hannah

i think Rifqa should't have ran away because her parents would never kill her. she probably just felt threatned. i wonder why she wanted to convert to a different religion.

September 14, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  312. Afoma

I do not belive in the parent's religion, but I do belive in the girl's religion. I'm not saying that the parent's are wrong and the girl is right but the way the parent's handled it by threatning to kill her is very wrong. Most people think that it's not against the law to say something, well it depends what you say the parents could in trouble with the law for using verbal abuse against the child. The parents should just have let her convert because it's better than being mad at her. Just wanted to know do Islamic people have a thing about lying?

September 14, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  313. !Amber

Isn't the United States about religoius freedom and freedom of speech? If so, then people should be allowed to choose their on religion. I think the girl should be allowed to choose what she wants to be and who she wants to be. No one can choose a person's future. If she wants to be a christian then let her, don't let her parents choose her future for her. Isn't it the parents that say that they want their children to be whoever or whatever they want to be?

September 14, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  314. zack

Maybe they could call my dad. After all, he is a mediator.

September 14, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  315. Jim

I think people should have the right to change their religion if they want to. I am a christian and it doesn't feel right when somebody threatens someone who wants to be one, especially their child.

September 14, 2009 at 6:52 pm |
  316. Lauren

That girl should be whatever she wants to be,this is america and thats one of our rights here.If her parents truly say they wont hurt her,she wouldnt have ran away in the first place. If a liar detector is needed then so be it.

September 14, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  317. Jesse

I really dont think that she should go home, when someone says they are sorry and wont hurt that person again....they will. just take rihna and chris brown for example, he hit her again didnt she!?
    what she is doing is legal! so why cant she do it? she should be albe to cross over to christanity! she is close to being an adult now...and adults make their own choises!
    a solution would be for the girl to not go home, and remain a christain!

September 14, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  318. melissa

if someone wants to be a chrisrtian than they should with out being threatnened. i think the father did threaten girl because muslims think that if you are a muslim than you have to stay a muslim for the rest of your life. i think if he did threaten to kill her than it should be taken to court, if he did not threaten to kill her than there is no reason to go to court.

September 14, 2009 at 7:05 pm |
  319. Lacy

That is so mean everyone should have the freedom of religion and be able to choose what thay believe in just because her parents dont like this they should still be supportive in all their daughther does unless it is aganist the law

September 14, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  320. Sydney

I think that if they actually killed her they would have to live with it for the rest of their lives. I am happy to hear that she coverted to a christian, as i myself is one. I really hope things work out and i will be praying for you guys!!

September 14, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  321. Ryan

i think this would fall under the category "freedom of religion" so she should not be hassled about her desicion

September 14, 2009 at 7:32 pm |
  322. Magdy

Anyway I read the comments and I understand all your opinions and there really great.
    I have to say that the girl's religon is a true religon meaning that my families belief (islam) is very important.
    I mean they should sit down outside in public and talk it out and tell the charactaristics of the religon and everything.
    Truely I don't think the teenager should sit down at the house and get beaten by her parents.

September 14, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  323. Amina

People should be able to make their own decisions without having that other person intervene, especially when it comes to religion. You only live life once, and what you do with your life is up to you, so picking the religion that fits your beliefs best, can make a big impact on you later on. I feel that this girl should be able to choose her own path without threatening remarks from her parents. Obviously she didn't just run away from home because of her religion, something must be missing that the parents are hiding.

September 14, 2009 at 7:36 pm |
  324. April

I think it is insane to kill your daughter just because of your religion!!! Although, to some people religion is a very important part of their life! I think that this should be concluded by a trial with the daughter and the parents. The parents are probably calmed down by now and be a able to talk and tell the truth about what happened. They should discuss the importance of the christian religion to Rifqa. Also what matters more, muslim or christianity!

September 14, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  325. April

Also if you think about would you ever want to kill your own child??? I think there is much more then just the parents wanting to kill if they ever did!

September 14, 2009 at 7:50 pm |
  326. Hope

This situation is hard to determine who is lying and who is telling the truth. i really don't thing that the father would have killed her. But i do think that the family and her realitives would have been angry. and there is nothing wrong with being angry with her. maybe if she hadn't run away to Florida and blew off her family, i think that her father and mother would have been less angry with her. But what she did was wrong. she ran away from her problems. if she would have approached the issue with open arms and asked her family to change religion, i think that they would have more understanding. But she ran away, and that cause her family serious pain. so the father should also approach this problem with open arms. . religion is a very serius topic.

September 14, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  327. Avery

I believe she should be free to make her own decisions and the family should embrace her for it.

September 14, 2009 at 7:52 pm |
  328. Tyler

I think she has the right to swap religions, without having to worry that her parents were going to hurt her. Athough she had the right, she went a little too far by running away. She could have talked to a friend about it or something.

September 14, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  329. Freedom

She shouldn't be forced to have a muslum belief and her parents shouldn't enforce her to have a muslum belief she can have whatever belief she wants if she wants to be muslum let her be muslum but if she wants to be a christian let her be,it is not like the world depends on it.

September 14, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  330. Joytika

I think mediation for the parents and Rifqa is a good decision because then the family might be able to reunite or at least settle on a way for Rifqa to be safe, incase her parents are Islamic extremests who do want to kill her.

September 14, 2009 at 8:27 pm |
  331. Lorna

I think that this is a serious situation and it should not be taken lightly. I don't think this girl would make up a story like that.

September 14, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  332. Freedom

Regarding my previous post,"it's not like the world depends on it" doesn't diminish the importance of one's faith. One's faith determines alot about a person and how they relate to others in life. Basically, she should be able to determine her own faith and values as she is her own individual and will ultimately be held accountable for her own actions.but she should not run away from her parents because i think they would never do that to her unless they did not care about her,plus she should respect her parents at all times. In Christianity, the bible says "honor thy father and thy mother."

September 14, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  333. Kaitlyn

I think the judge should let Rifqa decide whom she wants to live with, whether it be her parents or the pastor she currently resides with. It is not right for a Christian to be persecuted, especially in America. However, God cares about a person's character more than their comfort.

September 14, 2009 at 8:45 pm |
  334. Maiah

I think the father is lying about threatening her. Why else would she run off to a different state?

September 14, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  335. Henry

Their still her parants, she has two years left of living as a minor, then she can go and do whatever she want with religion.

September 14, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  336. Jesse

I think she should be able to because of the constitution even though if they are from a different country the are in america and we follow these rules.

September 14, 2009 at 8:57 pm |
  337. mandy

I think her parents should except her for what she wants and what she beleives in.

September 14, 2009 at 8:58 pm |
  338. Maiah

I think the father is lying about threatening her. Why else would she run off to a different state? Her father is being extremely bigoted, and unfair to his daughter. He has no right to tell her what religion to believe. It really upsets me!

September 14, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  339. ALEX

I think that this girl should be able to practice christianity because she is in America. She's not where there is laws about religion anymore, she should be able to practice christianity without problems.

September 14, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  340. JeKa

I believe everyword that she says and if america doesnt then watch as soon as they release her to her parents dont be surprised when she winds up on the 6 o' clock news a week or two later. Muslims have vary strict rules and beliefs. Her parents need to relize their in our country now and if she wants to convert her religion she has rights to do so. And honestly i dont believe she would travel all this way for nothing aparently her dad scared her to death you can just see the fear in her eyes.

September 14, 2009 at 9:10 pm |
  341. Cathy

It is her personal choice wheather she wants to switch or not.

September 14, 2009 at 9:24 pm |
  342. Morgana

I honestly do not believe the parents. I mean what parent would go on the television and admit to tthreatening to kill their own daughter... There should be no discussion about it! Those parents should have a lie detecter test preformed... Imean that is really the only logical way to find out the truth! Then they may discuss it!
    ~Morgana

September 14, 2009 at 9:30 pm |

Honstly, I dont know what to think But why would she go through all this trouble to be lieing? Like Cring on T.V. , running away, And leaving her friends. I just dont think any teen would want to just leave their lifes and runway unless something was really wrong.

September 14, 2009 at 9:34 pm |
  344. Challenge

If i were her father I'd say, "Daughter, now Daughter I'm not gonna kill you now, you've done brought a lot of publicity and drama to this family so you gonna be in some trouble, now but I ain't gonna hurt you. I promise." That is what i would say to my daughter if I was in the father's situation.

September 14, 2009 at 9:51 pm |
  345. Carrie

I think Rifqa should be allowed to live her own life. If your child doesn't have the same beleifs as you, that gives you no right to abuse them. Rifqa's religon is her choice, no one else can make that choice for her, and that should be respected.

September 14, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  346. kash

I don't get why you would want to kill your daughter, i mean like the parents could think of her as a Muslim and others think of her as Christian then it will be far.

September 14, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  347. Courtney

I agree with the judge 100%, his decision for a meeting instead of a courtroom trial is legit. Interaction for this kind of issue is needed. The girl's family wouldn't "kill" the girl over trading religions, isn't peace what Islam stands for? In any case, the parents haven't been firm on the religion towards there daughter, so becoming officially Christian wouldn't hurt either sides.

September 14, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  348. Nathan

I really don’t think that her parents were actually going to kill her just because there daughter wants to switch her religion. I think the daughter is lying, just for popularity. I really don’t think that her parents should let this slide, I think that her parents should yell ate her and ground her. She really shouldn’t have written on facebook that she was going to run away. She probably wrote that because her friends would of see it, or make new friends. I think that she and her parents should talk about her religion insted of going behind there backs and doing it anyway.

September 15, 2009 at 8:03 am |
  349. LEXI

I think that running away was wrong she should have gone strait to the poilice. but she as all the right to believe what she whats to and her parents should exept that not threten to kill her.

September 15, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  350. Andrew918

So what she changed her relgion. It's her choice for what she wants to do with her life. I would say that running away was pretty dramatic. I agree with the jugde too. I think they should settle this and be a family again.

September 15, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  351. Faustina

i kind of feel sad for the girl because her parents should be supportive in her changes and not try to kill her i mean relly why would you want to kill your own daughter!

September 15, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  352. Grey

I think that she should be able to do what she wants.She is 17 after all her parents shouldn't have control over her anymore. I hope that they work it out though.

September 15, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  353. Bekah

I think there is a time to speak out; when people ask you to speak. I think it is very rude to just speak out when something is going on like how Kanye and Serena did. i think if you have something to say in the middle of something HOLD YOUR TONGUE people, your making yourself look bad!

September 15, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  354. Aceem

i think courtney is rite beause thats the rite way we need 2 no wats going on so they need to have that meeting so they can work all there problem out and if she wats 2 be christian then i think she should become christian thats it the mother and father dont have no rite 2 tell her wat she can belive in.......

September 15, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  355. samantha

i agree with james when he says:

Everyone has the right to believe whatever they want to believe. Many people don’t understand that. They think they can go the way they want to and tell everyone to believe that way. Even the first amendment says that everyone has the freedom of religion.

it the turth you do have the right to believe in whatever you want and yes some people do understand how religion are cuz they are some what religion. you do have a point there when u said that the 1st amendment dose say that you should have freedom to do what you want and to be and be whatever religion u want to be. so i agree 100% with you james.

September 15, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  356. Zina

I agree with Kathryn when she said "In their religion the women have to cover their entire bodies and if they let her do cheerleading, then i don’t think that they would kill her over a religion."

If they let her do chreeleading and she didn't have to wear the heading covering. I believe that she have had dicuss with her mom and dad that she wanted to change her religion and they diagree with her because they are strenghing the rule a little bit for her so she can fit into the nation

September 15, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  357. katherine

I agree with kathryn when she says:

I think that the girl is just doing it to get attention by saying that he parents wanted to kill her. In their religion the women have to cover their entire bodies and if they let her do cheerleading, then i don’t think that they would kill her over a religion. They were already breaking their religion. I think they should talk about it and see why their daughter wants that negative attention against her family.

I dont know why she did that to her family because i dont think her family is that bad for her to do that to them.I think that she should respect her religion at all times,and not disrespect it.

September 15, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  358. Simone

I think that Kanye was wrong. I mean that was just rude what he did, he didnt even think about her feelings. I also think it was embarassing because he didnt win one award. What was he thinking?

September 15, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  359. Zachary

i think she just wants to become something different. she could just become something without saying that her parents are going to kill her or running away. if i was her i would just tell my parents that Im going to become a christian.

September 15, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  360. Morgan

Why would a girl make up this big lie about her parents threatening to kill her, if they weren't?! Attention? A desperate cry for the public's sympathy? I don't think so. Muslims are very strong in religion, and would not like their teenage daughter to become a Christian. I can very well see the parents threatening her. Why else would the girl run away to FLORIDA?!

September 15, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  361. Logan

I think the girl should be able to do whatever she thinks is right for herself. We are free to do what we want.

September 15, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  362. christian

i believe that we we are all brothers under the same god.

September 15, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  363. Joseph

i think she ran away because they were not going to kill her she thought that because that is how she was told when she was young or the parents did not waned to tell the truth to her daughther and not to tell the world the truth.

September 15, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  364. jj

i know there is alot of stress when u are 16, but, i think she just wants attenion, and just was lying about the other stuff about her parents killing her.

September 15, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  365. TomCat

I saw the story of Rifqa on the CNN Student News broadcast yesterday. When I first saw this, I wondered why there was such a huge controversy over her conversion, until it mentioned the possiblity that her parents may feel they need to kill her off as an "honor killing."

Rifqa has the ability to change her religion to whatever, and honestly, as often as she wants. If she wanted to hop around until she found the "right" one, she has that right. She's settled in what she is, as a Christian, and that's what she's allowed.

If there's even a small chance that she may be in danger, the state should, even in the best case scenario, keep an eye on the family and make sure everything is good and well. She's a girl, and converted from Islam to Christianity. According to Islamic traditions, she is to be killed for her family's honor.

Rifqa and her family would need to be monitored, in my opinion.

September 15, 2009 at 4:58 pm |
  366. Jesse

She does have the right to change her religion. First amendment freedom of speech. Period!!!!

September 15, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  367. Aryn

I congratulate the girl from being so strong to persue religious freedom. I semi-understand Muslim, from articles that mention that they are much like Christians, they just believe in a different god, who for all I know could be my God being called another name. If she felt threatened by her parents then it was a good thing to do and pursue a new safe home.

September 15, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  368. Daniela

I think the parents are lying.Why would she lie about being threatened?I think she should be able to practice whatever religion she wants, without being threatened!

September 15, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  369. Jack!

I think that her parents really did threaten her because they looked guilty and Rifka looked like she really wasn't kidding. I think the Parents should lay off, she only has 2 years until she can go off on her own. I just think she should be allowed because this is a free country and the first amendment says that we can believe in any faith we want.

September 15, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  370. Adam

No way...they just want to alot more drama.

September 15, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  371. Alexis

i think the father should kill her what a disgrace

September 15, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  372. Jayla

I wonder who is telling the truth the girl or the parents I dont think she should have ran way because she could've gotten taken away

September 15, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  373. Alex.

i belive the girl she was scared to daeth as you could see inn her eyes and why would she run away to florida if she wasnot scared shes in our country the country of the free so she can change her religion if she wants i just hope that this whole thing works out
    its just so sad what that por girl has to go thru like running away from her parents and her fathers threat
    she must be so scared

anyway if the girl reads this i want her to know ahe has every right to change just get this solved and be free to be yourself if your forced to do something you dont want to door be than your not truly being yourself

fight fight fight for your freedom

September 15, 2009 at 9:29 pm |
  374. Grey

It doesn't matter what her father or anyone else thinks about it was her desision to convert and nobody should be able to tell her and differant after all she does live in America where you can belive what you want to.

September 15, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  375. Chelsea

I don't think the girl's running away is a correct behavior to show her thounght of conversion. She should discuss her parents patiently, and also her parents. America is a free country, including the religion. I think it's impossible for parents to kill their own daughter just because of the different religion.

September 16, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  376. matt

I think the news about cell phones

September 16, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  377. jessica

i think the teenager should be able to be in christianity without her dd killing her

September 16, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  378. Lacey

I think that it could be a good way to settle this matter.

September 16, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  379. caitlin

The girl should be able to worship when she want and how she want to that is so rude of her parents to threat her like that . she should move with someone else

September 16, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  380. kasey

that father should get kicked out of the house. if he would say that to a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 16, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  381. Chelsey

I think that the parents shoud not of said that they were going to kill the dauter even if they were going to kill her or not.They should not scare her like that.

September 16, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  382. Avery

This is what this girl wanted and they should let her do what she wants to do. The parents should let her do this because it is the best for her and that is what all parents want of their child.

September 16, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  383. Emma

i think running away was the wrong thing to do if i was her i wouldnt run away i would stay home and try to work something out with my parents but she might of grew up knowing that when you switch your religion they kill you.she was just scared

September 16, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  384. skylar

I think the police should conduct a full investigation. If it turns out the girl was lying it would be bad but at least no one was killed

September 16, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  385. kim

I think everyone should have to right to believe what they want to believe, Muslim religion is so strong they would send their kids off with bombs strapped to them, why would they NOT hurt their daughter? Is she this one exception? I think she should stay away from her parents for now.

September 16, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  386. angelagh

I think that he still lied and he wil change his story for the news. to change from muslim to Chirstrianity is one of the biggest religious sins and i do believe her life would be in danger. MY family discussed this at dinner and we think that she left because she honestly felt her life was in danger. We just wish she could have found a family like ours to help her. We pray every night that no-one takes her and hurts her. We also believe that her faith will pull her threw.

September 16, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  387. adeline

i think its wrong you should have the right to believe what you want if she wants to change religions its HER choice its her life after all. her parents have no right to make decisions for there daughter or make the decision of what religion ther daughter should follw its unfair and unjust

September 16, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  388. will

This is America and with that come freedom of religon. Even if your a kid you can still switch religon. Just because we're kids doesn't mean that we don't have power.

September 16, 2009 at 9:26 pm |
  389. Hoda

If she wantes to change her religion then let her be, but she would definately not lived under same roof with her parent if she is doing something they don't approve of .What ever she does it is between her and GOD!!!!!

September 16, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  390. Rayne

I think the judge made a good descision in having the family meet to work something out. And for the family, they have got to be kidding. If they dot understand already America is The Land of The FREE. Which means she can be whoever she wants to be.

September 17, 2009 at 1:37 am |
  391. Bobby

The lady should use her head more. Be a catholic!

September 17, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  392. Matt

I think that it's a free country and if she chooses to be christian, muslim or any religion I believe that it is her dicision and nobody elses

September 17, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  393. Hailey

I think that Kayne West outburst was very rude and how would he like it if he won a award and Taylor Swift did that to him he would be very mad

September 17, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  394. Zack

IT is so crazy because she switch religion and her father wants to kill her UGH!! So unneccsary making people look out for her. ANd making the media go through all of this trama..

September 17, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  395. Catie

she should belive in whatever she wants its her life

September 17, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  396. Hailey

Although West had a very strong feeling that Beyonce should have won the award he might have hurt Taylor Swift's feelings. Its not really about what West thought it was about what all the people who watch M.T.V. music videos. And it would hurt my feeling if I just won a award and West came up to me took the mic. from me and said that another person should have won and not me

September 17, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  397. MICKLE

I do think that the parents had a problem with her religious veiws but i do think she exaggerated a bit, but she should have the right to choose her own religion.

September 17, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  398. Elizabeth

Just because her parents are Islam doesn't mean she should. I personally would not run away, because my parents would never threaten to kill me. That girl is obviously SCARED to DEATH

September 17, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  399. Jessica

I think that no matter what religion she chooses, even if her parents did not threaten to kill her, she should not be punished for what she chooses. It's her life and she is old enough to make her own decisions. I am a christian myself and i feel strongly that no matter what happens, God will be there to protect me and that is what she should believe and the same with her parents!

September 17, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  400. Brooke

Who or what you worship should be up to you. The world would be a much better place if everyone could except the things in life that made people happy.

September 17, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  401. dicko

just help her on the religion

September 17, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  402. Mellisa

I don't think there is any need for the media to be involved. It is just a change in religion. Do you see anything on the news about a Christian becoming a Muslim? I don't think so. So what is the big deal about a Muslim becoming a Christian?

I personally think it is her parents fault that she converted. If they didn't have her assimilate too much into the "American" culture, then this would have never happened. The parents should blame themselves for not keeping her faith strong. To have the media involved is really stupid.

September 17, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  403. Allyssa

I personally think that it is wrong if her parents did threaten her. It's her personal choice, her faith, her life, and she should be able to believe in Christianity if she chooses without having to run for her life from her own parents. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Christian, I'm saying that because it is true, America is a "free" country right? So why would she have to fear her own parents due to her faith? It doesn't make sense and is unfair to her if this is really true. Faith is a personal choice and a very important one at that and i is WRONG to take away or threaten someone with it. That is my opinion on the matter...

September 18, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  404. samuel

from what the video showed i think that the teenager is overreacting and that being scared of what they might do is behind her running away instead of what they threatened to do.

September 18, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  405. julia

i think she is ling. she should just go home and suck it up. her parents arnt going to stop loving her because she changed her faith. she should just face her parents and talk to them. she is just giving her family more and more of a bad name if she keeps this up.

September 18, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  406. sam

I don't think that the media needs to be involved. It is none of their business. Its just a girl changing her religion..... She didn't have to make a big scene about it and run away. She could have gone to other family members. If her parents did threaten her it was wrong of them. She has the right to be whatever religion she wants to be. And if she was lying about them threatening her, then she has caused some serious damage between her and her parents.....

September 18, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  407. Emily

I think it's great that the muslim girl became a christian but i don't think the girl should have ran away. I think she should have told her parents and tell them about becoming a christian.

September 18, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  408. Natalie

I am not sure who to believe. The girl seems pretty convincing although; all teenagers can persuade whoever they like. If she is telling the truth; that is horrible. I would hope my parents would stick with me no matter what I choose.

September 18, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  409. Evo

Well, the conversion will cause attention to her, but maybe thats all she is trying to get. When really if her parents actualy wanted to kill her, that would make it her fault. You can stick to your religion, but If you go outside of it you will face problems.

September 18, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  410. Jake

I think that religion is one of the most controversial topics of all time. Personally I believe that it is a topic that is covered to much. Just let people believe in what they want and leave them alone about it. They have the right as an American citizen to do what they want.

September 18, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  411. katie

i think that the judge made a good decision when he said they should all sit down together and talk about it because her family should care about her enough to care what her religion is.

September 18, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  412. Emily

She shouldn't change. She can believe whatever she wants to believe. I think her parents did threaten her but I don't think that they would try and kill her.

September 18, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  413. Kensli

This is a sad story, because the girl should have the right to practice whichever religion she wants. Her parents should not be offended, rather should support her decision. Even if it is not the way they feel, if they really love her then they would not threaten her life.

September 18, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  414. chantal

To me, she seemed like the type of girl that loves attention to begin with. Yes, her parents might have been disappointed about her, but they did seem supportive of it. Then again anyone will think differently when a camera is on them. the fact that she was in cheerleading, and her parents were loose on the rules already shows that going to the extent of murder isn't their way.

September 18, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  415. Madilyn

Personally it scares me to death to think of a dad trying to kill his daughter, and I sincerly hope its not true. I think that she should have the right to be free from her parents, I think that people should have the right rather they stay in the Muslim religion, or not. Who are her parents to deny her from her religion?

September 18, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  416. Nimiq

I don't think her father wants to kill her even if he said so, because he was probablyjust really suprised when she told him that. He wants her daughter to stay as a muslim, but he shouldn't be too strict about it.
    I don't think the girl should convert to another religion, because if a religion doesn't mean that much to her, then why should she believe in any religion at all?
    If being a muslim is causing her social or emotional problems at school or something, then the solution is to talk to her parents and her counselor about it, not run away from home.

September 19, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  417. Drew

I think her geting killed over her faith is DUMB the US lets you pick your faith.Its just her parents saying that they are in charge.This is the US were there is something called FREEDOM (that does not mean stop following the laws)even for minors.

September 19, 2009 at 8:50 pm |
  418. Carson

I do think that who she worships or believes in should be completely up to her, but I think that this issue has gone way too far. I dont think this should have been taken to court or have the media so involved. This is her and her family's person problem.

September 20, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  419. Emily

Why would a parent kill their child just because she wants to be a different religion then they are? I think the parents were just over reacting a little.

September 20, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  420. Kendall

I totally understand her situation, if she wanted to change her religion it shouldn't be a big deal.You can't help what people won't there religion to be even if they are still a teenager.She doing what's best for her. She the only one who can make good decision for is herself and if she had parents who loves her for who she is then they should support her all the way"not threaten to kill her". What she is doing is good it shows teens how to make a decision for themselves and make good decisions..that's how i feel about the situation.

September 20, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  421. katya

I t was sort of stupid of her to run away. She should have disscused with her parents how they felt about her changing religions.

September 21, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  422. Natalie

I totally agree with the court's decision. They should all just sit down and have a talk about what happened and try to find compromise. There isn't really anyother way to solve the problem, seeing as this is a minor we're talking about. What else is there to do, other than try to sort it out with her and her parents? I surtainly can't think of anything else to do about it.

September 22, 2009 at 5:08 pm |

I do not think that the situation should have escalated as much as it did but I understand where the Muslim girl is coming from. You can never tell what the potential of a parent might be. The parents might take religion to a vast degree that if it's their way then there is no way. The Muslim girl should have the right to believe in any religion that she wants without penalty. The girl found Christianity more for her so why can't she convert? No one was forcing her so she is in the right mind. If it is a mistake for her she can always convert back.

September 22, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  424. Victoria

In my opinion I don't think that the girl should go back home. Her father could just be saying that to look good or just to get his daughter to come back so he could really do something to her. It's her decision on whether or not she wants to change her religion. I believe that this should be the decision of everyone and that we are all entitled to this right. If I were the girl I'd continue how I'm doing in life and then later on in the future if I think it's right and the time is right then I'd go and see if I could possibly have a calm rational conversation with my dad about the whole religion thing.

September 23, 2009 at 5:42 am |
  425. Karolayn

I think that a controversy about religion is really so wrong. We have the freedom of being who ever we want to be. That includes the freedom of being in what ever religion we want to be in. You shouldn't judge a person for what religion there in. No one is alike not even identical twins and because your parents are one religion you don't have to be in that religion if you don't want to be.
    In the case of this girl I think that the parents should accept who she is. Parents are suppodse to love and care for their children. Most importanly they support our decisions. I think the parents are crazy for tring to kills there daughter. I really think they should sit down and talk and let the girl tell them why she changed religions. They should respect that.

September 23, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  426. SHERMAN

I DONT THINK PARENTS WOULD KILL THEIR KIDS. I THINK THAT'S KIND OF CRAZY BUT IN SOME COUNTRY'S THING LIKE THAT CAN
    OCCUR. I THINK THE GIRL IS JUST SCARED BECAUSE SHE CHANGED FROM BEING MUSLIM TO CHRISTIAN. I REALLY HOPE THIS GIRL GET COUNSELING BECAUSE SHE RAN AWAY FOR SOMETHING CRAZY.

September 23, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  427. juliette

i believe that she should have the right to decide what religion she wants to be in.. but also if she lives under her parents roof she should abide by the rules they give her. i do belive that they should have mediation so they can solve their differences but that she should stay at somebody else's house to ensure her safety because if the allegations towards her father result in being true her life is in danger just by being with him in the same room with no supervision other than her mother's and father's

September 23, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  428. Yanoryh

I agree with the idea the court. I think they should investiage her parent because it seem she's in danger at home, because it mention that parent would kill her if she change her religion. And for a teen to say that it has to be intense. I hope the court emphasize the fact that this country is freedom of religion. This would be my opinion toward this rebellious issue.

September 23, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  429. Sammy

I think that might her parents want to kill her, but there is still no clues about it yet.Even though I'm asian, my family moved to America like 9 years ago. And we celebrate the cultures here. One of my classmates is chinese and she turned into a goth person and none of her parents cared about it. If they want to kill her why don't they kill her earlier than when she became a christian. I mean like the parents didn't control her life and let her be a christian without any complaints. After like 3 years being christian, now they want to kill her for no reason. It might even be a joke if it can be one.

September 24, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  430. Olivia

I think that she should have the choice of her own religion.If she wants to be christian then she should be allowed.

September 25, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  431. Alyssa

It's difficult to tell what actually happened in this situation–it has totally become this girl's word versus that of her parents. On one hand, why would she lie about her parents threatening to kill her? On the other, it seemed really out of character for the parents, seeing as they had allowed her to dress like the average American teenager, and even be on the cheerleading squad. I think that people need to not believe everything that they hear automatically, and maybe stop and question what really is the truth in every story.

September 27, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  432. Rachel

I think that the judge's solution to get everyone to talk to each other is a good idea. I think that the girl should be able to believe in whatever religion she wants. When it comes to her parents threatening her I think it's one of two things. Either she's just an overly dramatic teenager, or her parents could have really threatened her and she could be in real trouble. There's no real way to tell. Hopefully, getting everyone together should help clear up these problems

September 27, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  433. Jessie

I have two solutions for this dellima. The first solution is for the girl to pretend to be Muslim untill her next birthday. Then she will be 18 and she can legally move out andmake all of her own decisions and life choices . Secondly she could run away and stay hiddin untill her next birthday when sh becomes 18 then come out with her religion. Theres nothing her parents can say now because she is an adult.

September 28, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  434. Brooklyn

She should have a right to do what she wants,be who she wants to and her parents should let her be who she wants to.

September 29, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  435. blue

I dont think that her parents wopuld kill her and i think that is was good that she changed her religon. she should not run away from home because worse thimg and happen to her.and if your parent dont like it than thats ok i would tri to make them become christian. she should come home probel and so shes safe but that so cool what she did in changeing her religon

September 30, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  436. Shelby

I believe her because it is her choice what religion she follows not her parents'.

September 30, 2009 at 6:12 pm |