.
September 2nd, 2009

Passwords

We know that most of you wouldn't want to give up your MySpace and Facebook passwords to anyone.  But keep this in mind:  The school in South Carolina that could require students to do this is private.  As the principal says, parents always have the option to move their students to a different school.  He adds that his school has to protect its image.  If students don't appear to be doing their part, then the school could monitor their behavior on their MySpace or Facebook sites.

So you hear what he is saying; you hear what an attorney is saying; you hear what parents are saying.  We'd like to hear what you are saying.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Karissa

I think that that is invading privacy and if they don't want to give there principle there password to the Myspace or Facebook then they shouldn't have to.

September 2, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  2. Sam

As a senior in high school, I know that more and more colleges will look on the internet to see if you have a facebook, myspace, ect...which is why I plan on erasing my own. Yet I think that if you are going to a private school, they have a right to know what you saying about them, even though its a sad truth.

September 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Arion

I would not be a happy individual. I transfer to another school ASAP!

September 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Simone

In my honest opinion, this is stupid! Facebook, Myspace, and other chat sites, are NOT school related. There are things that shouldn't be posted, but it's not for out schools' to monitor. Parents, on the other hand have those rightsl. Students should have enough common sense anyways, to not post inappropriate things on their profiles.

September 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  5. Sarah

That's ridiculous! Everyone has the right to freedom of speech in this country and by requiring students to give their password is breaking that unalienable right. I can understand why they want to 'protect' their image, but that's going to far!

September 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Matthew

That is not fair! Computers are my hobby and I would never do that.

September 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Paige

This isn't fair to the students. I understand that the school may think they need to monitor some students because of some behaviors but after school it should be left to our parents. If the school wants to monitor the students they should do it in a way that doesn't affect a child's out-of-school life. Ask the parents to deal w/ it if its so important

September 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Alyssa

I think that taking students passwords is not only an invasion of privacy, but also completely useless. Yes, sure, they could monitor what students post about partying, drinking, etc. online, but kids can just as easily text about it, send picture messages, talk on the phone about it, etc. Plus, instead of hiding what their students do outside of school, they should talk to their students to try to prevent them from doing things that will "ruin their image."

September 2, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  9. Parker

I disagree I think that what students do on their myspace or facebook or whatever they have is between them and their parents not the school.

September 2, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  10. cooper

I think anybody in school shoud not be on myspace or any other communication website.

September 2, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  11. paul

i think the students shuldent give their passwords

September 2, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  12. Jonathan

How can they do this. Its totally against the constitution and our basic rights.

September 3, 2009 at 12:02 am |
  13. Erin

That's wrong. You never know when someone could log on and change everything. Nothing's private these days.

September 3, 2009 at 12:06 am |
  14. Duc

If the school does not have the right to put students on camera surveillance at home, they should not be able to invade any student's privacy through social networking sites at anytime.

September 3, 2009 at 12:34 am |
  15. Alisskay

if the case is serious, i guess this should be allowed. i wouldn't want to give up my password... but students should control their behavior in the first place! and parents always have other options... i don't think that this password system is making students behave well by force.. it's a matter of discipline

i wouldn't misbehave.. i have to check out the CNN Student News facebook page! hehe...

September 3, 2009 at 3:49 am |
  16. Wayno

You can't "legislate" morality. The 21st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution proof of that! (Prohibition)

Having to give up passwords to a social networking site, is like trying to pass laws regulating morality. Just doesn't work! How much more proof do we need?

Does the First Amendment (Freedom of Speech) only apply in certain cases?

Wayno

September 3, 2009 at 4:17 am |
  17. Joseph

Hi,

I'm agree with the lawyer, i think that it's an invasion of privacy. If the school board don't want that students go to websites like myspace, facebook etc. during school time, they could simply prohibit access to this websites at school.

What do you think of my proposal ?

September 3, 2009 at 5:28 am |
  18. tyler

I think it's wrong to moniter the students. It' not the school job to moniter the students myspace facebook ect.

September 3, 2009 at 6:53 am |
  19. Dave

yes people do some awful, awful things on Facebook

September 3, 2009 at 7:21 am |
  20. Brynley

I don't really think that it is fair because they may have wrighten things about thier teachers from thier hearts. Maybe this account is importent and secret to them.

September 3, 2009 at 8:03 am |
  21. nicole

I think that the school should not take the user names and pasword, you never know who might get it. I think the most they should do is become friends with the students.

September 3, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  22. Leah

I think that the school should take the passwords because if they are going writing bad or inappropriate things on Facebook, Myspace or Twitter at school then the school should make sure that that doesnt happen on school time .

September 3, 2009 at 9:42 am |
  23. Mitchell

Why would they want to share passwords with some people on Facebook or Twitter? They could be banned! And that's bad.

September 3, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  24. Mr. Mitchell

My class thought that giving the school their passwords would be an invasion of privacy. Whatever students do in their privacy of their home computers should stay there. Keep up the great jokes! Carl Rules!!!!! Show some love....give us a shoutout!!

September 3, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  25. Elizabeth

It is very wrong to do such a thing because the students need to have privacy somewhere else than their room and if the students do something wrong the teachers can give out detention or other punishments.

September 3, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  26. Deontress

I think it's stupid, what they do in their private life is their business not the school.

September 3, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  27. mike0917

I do not think they should reqire students to give up they passwords because I think what is said on facebook and myspace should remain on facebook and myspace and should not be looked at by anyone you donot give permission to.

September 3, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  28. Shay

i dont agree with the students having to give the school there myspace passwords thats a invasion of privacy its called myspace for a reason. MY-SPACE!!!

September 3, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  29. Jewale

I feel that this is an invassion of privacy.

September 3, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  30. KhaJada

I don't think its any of the school business what a child does on the weekend it ain't like they were at school they ae out of school I don't care if it is a christian school it don't say nothing in the bible about people not being able have a myspace or facebook.

September 3, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  31. Torrey

No schools should not require you to give them your password its an invasion of privacy and its called a PASSWORD for a reason.

September 3, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  32. Dorion

No I don't think that they should make their students give up their passwords. i feel that's an invasion of privacy not to mention an excuse for shady people to go in these children's profiles and do whatever.

September 3, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  33. Latangela

I think that prinical getting their password to Myspace. Twitter, Facebook is crazy. What they do on there is not their business plus that's their privacy.They wouldn't want someone to get the password to whatever privacy they have.

September 3, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  34. VICTORIA

THE PRINCIPAL SAYS ITS NOT AN INVASION OF PRIVACY BUT IT IS. PASSWORDS ARE ONLY MEANT FOR YOU TO KNOW THEM. SO WHAT IF THE STUDENT IS DOING INAPPROPRIATE THINGS ON MYSPACE. THE PARENT ISN'T COMPLAINING OR DOESN'T CARE SO THE SCHOOL SHOULDN'T CARE.

September 3, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  35. Leigh-Ann

I think that the school should NOT have anything to do with the students passwords because what they do at home is none of their business. Their parents may let them do stuff and they are not on school grounds at the time that they are posting what they want on their websites. It's called MYSPACE not SCHOOLSPACE! They should have no say in it what-so-ever. I understand with the whole "breaking the law" situation, but if the parents haven't done anything, the school doesn't need to. I would NEVER give my password to any school official. Wether I am in a public, private or christian school!!!

September 3, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  36. Kiya

I don't care if that school is trying to keep their image! It is a major invasion of privacy. We have passwords and user names to keep our information private, not broadcast it all over the world. I have a facebook page and the person who I want to see it is my friends. What their students do outside of school is none of their business, unless their students tell them about it. It's like a handout spot, its where we go to unwind and talk to our friends. The school needs to trust in their students and hope that what they are teaching them is getting through their heads.

September 3, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  37. Christian

I think it would be ridiculous because it would be an invasion of my privacy.Therefore, it would provoke students to drop out and have a different perception of christian schools.

September 3, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  38. Brandon

I think that going on people's myspace would be disrespectful to are rights.

September 3, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  39. Camiya

I kind of think this is wrong, because that is their private space that is were they go to get away, but then again I understand were the principle is coming from, because if they hear the kids talking about things that are going to harm them self so they have to keep the kids safe and make sure they are not going on myspace or facebook on there time and thats all it dont matter what they are doing at home that dont concern them as long as he make sure he cover his side and dont let them get on it while they are at school.

September 3, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  40. Luke

Due to the fact they are a private institution, I have no problem with it. It is the Parent/student's choice to go to that school and they can leave it if they dislike the policies.

September 3, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  41. Evan

I think this is a load of bologna. This is an invasion of privacy. I think students should not have to give up there passwords and user names for websites. It is a private thing that they should be able to choose who they show it to and who they don't.

September 3, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  42. Kevin

Students should be allowed there privacy to an extent. They create Facebooks, MySpaces, Twitters and such to have a socializing place from home. Between school, homework and studying, students need a way to keep from school. Of course, if the student is suspected of abusing other students online, they should be required to hand over their password to school officials.

September 3, 2009 at 10:28 am |

I think this is just absurd. This is a total invasion of privacy! The kids should be able to say what they want because it is their account. The school should not take away their passwords.

September 3, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  44. Sully's class

My class says unless students and parents have signed documentation to be a part of this private school, passwords are none of the school's business.

The other half of my class says students should not post what they do on the weekends and keep private life private! 🙂

September 3, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  45. zach

thats stupid to for a school to do. its also a breach in privacy for the student or students that they are checking up on. its the students buisness not the schools. if my school did that i would freak. my parents would freak. and i would probably change schools just for that fact alone.

September 3, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  46. colin

i think that kids should not have to use there pravite password to get into the schools computer i think that the school should have t ogive them a password to the school computers because that is ther pravite stuff that they have in it and that should not be the password

September 3, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  47. Lacey

Personally I think that school’s should let the students keep their passwords a secret but if they don’t want the kids to use the websites then they should block them at school.

September 3, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  48. Sarah

I don't think they should get student's passwords. It's 'private property' of that person. There is really no point either.

September 3, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  49. Brittney

I dont think Principals or Teachers should get the password of the kids because kids write what they want on their personal page and thats like invading the kids privacy and thats just wrong!

September 3, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  50. Austin

I think that the principals should leave the kids alone because tha would make me mad if they were looking at my private stuff that i am doing at home.

September 3, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  51. Josh

I think that is just plain wrong. How would the adults feel about kids making the adults give up there passwords for there online chatrooms.

September 3, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  52. jasmine

That is invasion of privacy.Students should be allowed to do what ever they like on there own private pages .If they wanted people to get on ther page they would have done it already.

September 3, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  53. Sasha

This is an invasion of privacy. I don't have an account on any of these networking sites but I would be very upset if my school took my password. But violating privileges on school campus is wrong and then the school has a right to monitor students.

September 3, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  54. Miss Amy's Class

It seems to be an invasion of privacy for a school to expect to get access to student accounts. As long as a student is in the privacy of their own home the school should have no control over what the student is doing. If this happened on school grounds, it would be within the school's jurisdiction. A good way to monitor behavior on social networking sites is to become a "friend". Then you can see what is posted, but don't have the password, which could allow someone to go in and change things. What would happen if passwords were lost or stolen?

September 3, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  55. Cole

I think that trying to find out what is happening on MySpace and Twitter and things like that is invadeing their privacy. It is not up to the school to find out what is happening is their business and not the schools. If the parents find out that they were writing about something bad then they can punish them not the school.

September 3, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  56. Kaitlin

thats just an invasion of privacy .. people could be lieing .. i mean does it really matter what people say ? .. i dont think so ..

September 3, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  57. EMILY :D

If you use myspace, or facebook at school, then monitering their site is okay.
    But taking their passwords and stuff even if they dont use it at school it wrong.

September 3, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  58. Megan

I think the principal is doing the right thing because students should not be blogging about bad things. it also makes the school look bad when students blog about bad things so i think students who are doing that should give their password to the principal.

September 3, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  59. Kristin's class

Our class is split in half as to weather we think that students should have to give up their passwords. We watched your news feed and discussed reasons for and against the policy.

Some reasons for it were:
    To keep kids safe
    To inform parents of wrong doing
    To inform school admin of their acts

Some reasons against it were:
    Private things should not be made public
    You should be able to communicate with your friends privately.
    People don't use your account improperly

September 3, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  60. Morgan

I think that the school should filter out myspace and facebook, so then they won't be having this problem. Though if they are at home, using their own personal computer, then they should be able to do so without being harassed for their passwords, that is an invasion of privacy.

September 3, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  61. Alli

no , they shouldn't be able to . kids may have a different life at home than they do at school . its none of their buissness!

September 3, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  62. Colton

I think you shouldn't have to tell them your password, because that is an invasion of your private life. And Carl Azuz, stop with the puns!!!

September 3, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  63. Elizabeth

I think passwords for anything are private and students shouldn't be forced to give them away.

September 3, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  64. Jenna

I do believe it is an invasion of privacy, but I can understand why they are considering this. I know I wouldn't want anyone looking at my Myspace or Facebook page.

September 3, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  65. Zach

If people isn't getting on it at school then the school should not have the right to get their password.

September 3, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  66. Emily

I don't think they should have our passwords, because even though that's a lot of passwords, but i don't want them getting on my facebook page.....

September 3, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  67. Jesse

I only think that they would need to know the password if the students password if they got on myspace or facebook at school.

Thank,
    you 🙂

September 3, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  68. Sarah

If the students are paying to attend this institution or it is a private school then I think it is up to that institution. In public institutions or schools, then only if someone is being threatened or harassed should the password be purged.

September 3, 2009 at 1:58 pm |

I think its a invasion of privacy, its like the school is asking you to hand the password to your life over to them.

September 3, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  70. Briana

I highly disagree with this action. Thats just invading people's privacy.
    I think that what people do off-campus is their buisness, and their buisness only! 🙂

September 3, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  71. Grayson

I think they shouldn't look at your password because they are invading your property.

September 3, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  72. BOZ

I THINK THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO HAVE YOUR PASSWORD THATS INVASION OF PROPERTY. PLUS I WOULDNT GIVE IT TO THEM ANYWAY.

September 3, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  73. CARL

No because you are not suppose to be all up in people business.

September 3, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  74. Travis

I don't think they should i can understand that the students put bad things on there they are going to do that anyway so they don't need to monitor there privacy what's there business is there business.

September 3, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  75. rachel

I actually thinks its a good idea. I don't use my myspace or facebook and more because of the cursing and ungodly things that are shown on it.

September 3, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  76. Amber

i think that faculty workers should not have children myspace passwords because they might try to put or send some thing inappropriate on that persons myspace or they might try to erase everything that person has or they could also be a sex affender and try to rape kids a all ages. so no i aint given nobody my password to myspace.

September 3, 2009 at 2:01 pm |

No because i don't think nobody else should have your password but you and it's not no one business.

September 3, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  78. Becca

I think that schools shouldn't worry about the myspace or facebook passwords. They shouldn't be that worried about there schools image that much to actually sign into there pages. If they are really that worried about it then they should just look at it like everyone else does. They have no right to look at mail or anything else that is not theres to look at.

September 3, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  79. joseph

this is a good thing for a christian school because it can keep everything under control.

September 3, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  80. Laronda

well, i think that our passwords is important to us! if we don't want to give ours we don't have too!

September 3, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  81. thomas

i dont really care bout it they can look at my myspace if they want its ok with me

September 3, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  82. jemeereo

no. because they need to care about what they are doing in school instead of what they are doing out of school.

September 3, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  83. Nyiesha:)

I don"t think this is a good thing to do I feel that everybody is entitled to their own privacy. By them asking for people's passwords I think that is an invasion of privacy.

September 3, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  84. jessica

i say no that is your private stuff you shouldnt have to give your password to the school. 🙂

September 3, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  85. britany

I think that is an invasion of someone's privacy, when you leave school you should be able to do anything you want because it has nothin to do with them

September 3, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  86. Logan

I think that is an invasion of privacy and it's not right,

September 3, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  87. Logan

I do not think you should have to tell any of your passwords to anyone. That would be an invasion of privacy if anyone knew your passwords.

September 3, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  88. Clint

I think that is a good thing, because that gives a bad reputation for an association.

September 3, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  89. michelle

requiring students to give their passwords up would be uncontstitutional. everyone has a right to there privacy INCLUDING STUDENTS...this doesn't change even if it is a private school
    the schools job is to provide an EDUCATION not perfect an IMAGE

September 3, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  90. Erik

I don't care what the circumctances are the school does not have a right to their passwords. I understand that they want the students to stay pure but its none of their business what the students say to their peers or other family members.I think they might have an extrene decrease in students if they keep this up.

September 3, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  91. Jasmine-Jade

I think this is so wrong for the schools to try to make students give their passwords to them. Passwords are suppose to be confidential and when teachers ask for them, that right there is an invasion of privacy. and it bothers me ! I'm glad i dont go to that school because i dont think i could make it.

September 3, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  92. Colton

I think you shouldn't haven't to tell them your password, because it is an invasion of privacy.

September 3, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  93. jacob

i beleave that it is an invetion of student privise. its not your dictation to take that students password and look at there facebook or myspace page, christion school or not. if someone is saying that they drink or do drugs, just call and ask there parents if thay know any thing.

September 3, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  94. Thomas

ok heres the deal, myspace, facebook and more than likely friendster and all the other social networking sites tell you not to give your pw out to ANYONE. So what makes a school think it can require students to give up their passwords? If a student is not engaing in illicit activity on school grounds or at school events then its not the schools bussiness what they are doing. I understand that the school is private, but that doesnt give them an excuse to invade its students privacy. What you do in your home is not anyones bussiness especially your schools

September 3, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  95. AJ

i think thats invasion of privacy im a kid myself some times we need to express ourselves and get away from schoolwork

September 3, 2009 at 2:05 pm |

that is so wrong for them to make the students give up their passwords.

September 3, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  97. davante

don't care

September 3, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  98. joseph

But if it gives the school a bad reputation then that is when the school should get involved with it.

September 3, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  99. T.

I wouldnt give them my password because its something i do for fun and then myspace,facebook.or etc. doesnt have anything to do with school and what goes on in it.

September 3, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  100. Raquel

I EXTREMELY disagree with this school because that just invaiding kids personal life, REGARDLESS on what they are doing there thaey don't have a right to get all up on peoples lifes!!! Like I said REGARDLESS on what the school thimks their students are doing is the parents job to supervice them theirselves.......

September 3, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  101. joseph

Yes, but what if they do it out of school and bring it in to school. The teachers could know things beforehand.

September 3, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  102. Tahja

I THINK THAT THE SCHOOL SYSTEM SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO GO INTO ANYONES PERSONAL SPACE THATS WHY THE SITE IS IS CALLED MYSPACE. KIDS MYSPACE, FACEBOOK., EXT... DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THEIR SCHOOL LIFE. IN SCHOOL IF SOMEONE IS CAUGHT ON AN SITE THAT THEY SHOULD NOT BE ON THEN THERE SHOULD HAVE CONSEQUENCES AS THEY CAN BE BANNED FROM THE COMPUTERS. BUT THE SCHOOL SYSTEM SHOULD NOT ASK FOR A CHILDS PASSWORD BECAUSE THAT IS THERE PERSONAL SPACE. .. 😐 😐 😐 ..

September 3, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  103. Emily

They shouldn't have my password or anyone else's because they don't need to go through our stuff, and you never know they could delete our facebook page if our password gotten in the wrong hands...

September 3, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  104. Mr. O'Connor's Class

We undertstand the thought behind gathering students passwords but we feel that it is an invasion of privacy!!!

September 3, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  105. Ben

Facebook is your personall information and if your not one of the students friends and you havent sent a request or you did and they ignored you there has to be a reason that they ignored you.

September 3, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  106. Schills

This is a great idea. I can't believe schools haven't thought of this before. Business and employers look at myspace and facebook photos to see if their applicant is responsible so if the private school does this, it will prepare the students for the real work world.

September 3, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  107. Joshua

I think it is a total invasion of privacy but if it happend at the school I can understand that.

September 3, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  108. Remington

I think this is absurd to even consider doing. If it was being done at school that would be a different situation, as long as the students obey the school rules during school hours I dont see why there should be a problem. This is a clear invasion of privacy.

September 3, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  109. Daryce

In my opinion, the school does not have the right to ask their students to give them their password to myspace or facebook. That is an invasion of privacy. I would understand if the students were accessing these websites in school but there not. If students want to have a myspace or facebook and put whatever they want to then it's their choice. They shouldn't have to pull back and not show who they are because the principal of the school thinks that they have to keep their image. It's wrong and and invasion of privacy. The only people that should know the password is the person who has the myspace or facebook. no one else.

September 3, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  110. Shelby:)

i think that you have your right to protect your account..

September 3, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  111. Kayla

Private school or not, it is an invasion of privacy. If you post something on the internet, you know most anyone can view it and the consequences that may follow. But, that doesn't mean what I say should be viewed by the school. What I do at home, is my business, and defiantly not the schools.

September 3, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  112. Anthony

I think they shouldn't take their students usernames and passwords.

September 3, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  113. Lindsey

I could understand the Christian school has to keep a good reputation, but getting on peoples Myspaces, Facebooks, ect. is going into personal lives. If they didn't do it while they were at school the school should not worry about it.

September 3, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  114. soccer chick

I disagree, because u can always change your password anytime u want !!!

September 3, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  115. Haley-Marie

I don't think any schools should have any students password to his/her Myspace Twitter,Friendster, or Facebook. That is their personal business what they have on there.

September 3, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  116. mary

i strongly disagree with what this school is doing. i think that getting anyone's password to go into their personal space. if they are not getting on those websites at school then that is a different story, but if it is at home or anywhere else then it is wrong to invade their privacy.

September 3, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  117. baby

i would not give anybody my pass word to my space cuz some ppl dont need to know stuff about me also that is wrong cuz if some one you dont know will mess around with you

September 3, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  118. Vanessa

i think that parents could move their child to another school, but they have already invested money into that one. yes, the child may have done a bad thing, but who monitors teacher's private lives and what they access online at their home?

September 3, 2009 at 3:22 pm |

I personally would not give my password. It would be a whole different story if they were using the schools computers for the social networking sites, but in this case the students are using their own computers! I thik it is a total invasion of privacy!!!!!

September 3, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  120. Best

I think that is really stupid! that stuff is personal to people, and people you dont know would be checking it!

September 3, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  121. Haley

I think that the school should not have a students password. That is their personal business and they don't need to know it.

September 3, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  122. cameron

I think they should let the kid do what he wants under his parents roof. They shouldn't take his password and all that, they should just like call his parents and let them know, and if his parents don't care they either need to take him out or discipline him

September 3, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  123. Anay

If students are on myspace or facebook and they are not at school or on school grounds, then the principal shouldn't have the students passwords or email. Its like the teachers are passing an imaginary brick wall to get into the students business.

September 3, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  124. T-Bizzle

T-Bizzle here to protest! I also have a Myspace and I disagree that the administration at my school should not have the right to hack into my privacy dude. Thats just messed up! Thanks for your time C-Bizzle Azuz. Peace homes!

September 3, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  125. :) payton

Students don't have to follow school rules when they're NOT in school. I don't even know why any teacher would know what students have on their page anyway! That itself is an invasion of privacy and asking for their password? stupid and extremely creepy This whole situation is jank

September 3, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  126. kelby lou

i strongly disagree. that is like stocking people. People need their private life. maybe thats all they have. plus it is not at the school so why do they care

September 3, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  127. zack

Of course no!! It's private, that's why they have passwords. Facebook, MySpace,Twitter, they are all there for socalizing. Can't we have privacy? I think that if they are doing this on campus, fine, crack the whip. I think that that principal is incredibly nosy. If he wanted to find out for himself, just make your own page, and they'll come to you.

September 3, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  128. Gina

That's a complete and total invasion of privacy! I understand that it's a private school and they don't want any drama, but drama is part of life, deal with it. Violence isn't the answer? Neither is invading people's space.

September 3, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  129. Diana

I would give up my password, but since I don't have a myspace or facebook profile, I don't have to worry about it. I think it is necessary for the school to keep its good rep. Like the principal said, the parents can just change schools.

September 3, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  130. Andrew

It is not right, It is an invasion of our privacy. What you do on Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, any website, should be between you, your parents, and your friends, nobody else.

September 3, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  131. Vanessa

i think that students deserve privacy at LEAST when they are at home. I mean who is monitoring what teachers access at home on THEIR computers.

September 3, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  132. Vincent

NO!!! I don't the school " any school " should have the right to student any kind of account. As long as they are not doing it on a school system the students shouldn't have to give up their right. It's called invasion of personal privacy. If who ever think it's right for the school to do this then how about them giving out their bank account to the student???...would they have of say yes???...I don't think so.

September 3, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  133. Rhen

I think that the students shouldn't give thier password to anybody because they could find out thier pesonal stuff that they might not wont anybody to find out about them.

September 3, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  134. Rhen

I would hate for them to give their password to the teacher because it's not their buisness to know.

September 3, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  135. Patrick

I could understand if it was on school property, but outside school, I can't.

September 3, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  136. Dustin

This is purely an invasion of a student's privacy. A school's jurisdiction over a student should end with the dismissal bell. Unless a student is using these social networking in school it should be the parent's, and only the paren'ts right to read what their children are up to and not the school administration.

September 3, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  137. Fletcher

I fully agree with the school. I think that if someone is doing something wrong that is affecting the students around them, the school should be able to intervene.

September 3, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  138. Jessie

As a teacher, I don't think students should have to give their passwords. I can already look to see what they have posted without a password. If they don't want people to know, then they shouldn't post it.

September 3, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  139. anna

I don't agree with this because teacher shouldn't have that right. Students should keep their passwords to themselves.

September 3, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  140. Linda

thats really dumb because why would i or u shuld let the pricipls look at myspace its none of their bussiness to know our password and our email i just don't why pricipls should look

September 3, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  141. tyrick

that is messed up that kids have to give up there information. i don't think that it is right at all...

September 3, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  142. ryan

i think they have no right at all to the students confidentiality because some are secret.

September 3, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  143. Daniel

No, you should not give your password two your teacher because it's your and they don't need two know. Teacher can't get your password like that because they can get in trouble.

September 3, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  144. Tamee

I think that, that is reallly bad. You should not have to give up your password if you are not doing any of the bad things in the schools. If you are doing the bad things out of school you shouldnt have to give it up. But whatever i guess if that school wants to be dumb i guess that they can be!!!

September 3, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  145. Tristan

I think that it invades peoples privacy

September 3, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  146. Keith

I think this is the kids privet stuff. The school should just leave them alone. They don't want the teachers to get all in there privet space.

September 3, 2009 at 4:23 pm |

I don't think it's right that they are asking for the kids' passwords. It's invading their privacy. Even if they go to a Christian School it happened off campus. If it happened on campus it would be different they still shouldn't ask for their password but they could punish them. People have passwords for privacy if they wanted people to know their passwords they would tell them.

September 3, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  148. Graysyn

I think if they're on facebook or myspace at school, they have a right to monitor what the kids are saying, but if they are on it at home, that's a whole different story.

September 3, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  149. chris

i think that it all right because I do not have a myspace

September 3, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  150. Kara

I think that it's stupid. Because it's there personal stuff on there and if they are bad at school then deal with it at school. it doesn't matter what's on there Facebook.

September 3, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  151. Brendan

Yes, i think people should give out their passwords to the principle.Because it shows an good image of the School.

September 3, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  152. lucy

teachers arent your parents what you do outside of school is none of thier buissness. its not like facebook or myspace is part of the school. kids were probably just talking about at school. i would feel guilty if a teacher read about my friends problems because they send me personal messages. kids should keep there passwords to them selves teachers have no right to share passwords with students. 😛

September 3, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  153. Alexander

I dont care about it becase it isnt con cering me

September 3, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  154. kray and Barry

it would be good for a christian school so if their are doing something dumb like drugs the principal can set the consequences or whatever they do

September 3, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  155. Tania

I tink that if it is off campus then the school should not be able to say and do what ever. But if it was on campus it would be a different story since its a christian school. but its not and its personal things

September 3, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  156. Kristin

I believe that the school should be able to confiscate the password. But I also believe that it should be decided by the parents on whether the school should be able to do so to their kid(s).

September 3, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  157. Kellyman

I think Its invading their privacy if they force their passwords, but if they log into their myspace, facebook...etc, at school, they should be able to monitor what they are doing.

September 3, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  158. Solangel

Well i totally disagree with what the principal at that school is trying to do. This is a totally invasion of property. We have the right to privacy. This is your personal privacy so i know if they were doing this to the principal he wouldn't like it neither, so i believe this is very wrong im against this, this is totally not fair nobody should be in our buisness no matter what.

September 3, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  159. constance

i would understand if your parents had your password but not your teachers. they have no right to that. i would be freekin out if my school did that cause i say alot of stuff about my teachers on facebook i wouldnt say to there faces. 😛

September 3, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  160. Nate

Myspace and Facebook are great sites to socialize with friends all over the place. The issue is this, people (especially parents) keep their child from going onto Facebook and Myspace (not all do)

The thing is with these sites are there are sex offenders out there and they'll put up a photo expecting you to believe that's who they are, but really not.

Another thing, trying to hack into the school's firewall and actually trying to go on Myspace and/or Facebook is a totally different story. For one, you shouldn't be going on those sites in the first place even at school. Students need to stay focus on their school works rather than finding a way to get on Facebook and/or Myspace.

I use them both, but not when i'm at school though. And i agree to what parents are saying about this. I believe that childrens who are between the age of 6-11 shouldn't be using Myspace and/or Facebook until they are older.

September 3, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  161. Derek

No it's an invasion of privacy and the school has no right

September 3, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  162. Steven

Teachers and parents should be allowed to monitor their child's behavior. If these students are doing activities outside of school that someone should know about, then teachers have a right to know their password.

September 3, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  163. kaylen

yes it is an invasion of privisy if they have you look at you facebook or myspace.

September 3, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  164. Kerri

I am kinda half half I mean yeah they should be able to check the kids stuff but the teachers would like have to sign a contract promising not to tell anyone because they could hack into your account

September 3, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  165. Sirena

I feel that even thought it's a Christian school, students should still have there privacy. If there not getting on Facebook or Myspace at school then they shouldn't worry about it. I think that they are invading students privacy and they shouldn't have to give there passwords to the principal. I think they should have the kids have a say so in this and let them flex the 1st amendment b/c they have a right to the freedom of speech and not just let the adults have a say so!

September 3, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  166. Ben

This is a complete invasion of privacy. What happens on the computer at home, and what happens on the computer at school are two completely different things. You do not have any right to look at a students personal life. A school is for learning, if you get in trouble they can discipline you, but what happens at home you need to leave it up to the parents. If the child is acting out on the computer, maybe you could look at it and send a note home to stop this, and not get in their personal life and stop it yourself.

September 3, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  167. A.J.

of course they sholdnt make the students give up their passwords because it is unconstitonal we do have rights still as kids

September 3, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  168. Skylar

I belive that it is an invasion of privacy! Mabye if the students logged on facebook at school (which i think is unlikely) than he or she should give up his password other than that though what the student does in the privacy of his or her home is their and their parents business.

September 3, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  169. Alys

I think that the students shouldn't have to give there passwords to the principle just so the school can keep a good image! Let kids have some type of privacy. There getting on Facebook and Myspace at home not at school so why should it matter to the school's about what kids do at home. My class think that the kids shouldn't have to give there passwords either.

September 3, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  170. Dave

I think its a great idea, since many teens do many dispacble things on facebook/myspace

September 3, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  171. Chelsie

I feel that it shouldn't matter about a students outside life. I don't get how the password would fix anything anyway. What are they going to do, delete it? They don't need students passwords to monitor anything. The whole thing makes no sence to me.

September 3, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  172. Megan

This is a complete invasion of a student's privacy. If the prinicipal wants his students to give up their passwords, it's almost like he doesn't trust them to live by guidlines.

September 3, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  173. Sara

I don't think the students have the rights to be posting inappropriate things on their page but neither does the school have the right to invade the students privacy.

September 3, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  174. Brittany

That is not fair that they should look at people's things.It is a thing called privacy .If it is at school that is a whole other thing but at home what is there privacy should stay that way.

September 3, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  175. Kaleb

I would be absolutely have a petition or an argument set and ready for showing to school administation. The Student Council could help if their view suited my predicaments.

September 3, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  176. cole

I think that they should not have to give their password because it is kind of taking away their privacy. It shouldn't be up to the school to punish the students for doing something at home because it is not their job to keep up with the students and their activities. It is up to the parents and the parents only to punish them if they find out what their kids are doing.

September 3, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  177. Hanna

THat is really stupid that they get their passwords! That is their business and personal life! Their home life and school life are two completely different worlds! Stay out of their business!!!

September 3, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  178. Joey!!

I agree with Joshua. Schools should not be asking for the students passwords at something they do at home. If this happened to me i would get out of my school in a hurry or I would just get off of MySpace or Facebook or what ever I'm on.

September 3, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  179. AMANDA

i think its messed up :/

September 3, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  180. Utau

I don't have a facebook or myspace, but if it was me I'd say...That's just....stupid!! Why should what's on your facebook or myspace matter?! If it's not affecting your school work then why does it matter? Besides a kid could be one way in school and another at home and in private and online! I know I am (I play quiet in school, but I'm an obnoxious writer at home) and besides, how is THIS going to help the school's image?

September 3, 2009 at 5:38 pm |

i disagree!
    its invading their privacy! why would kids/teens be using it in school anyways? if there was a problem about some kid drinking and someone knew about talk to someone about it. Teens need a way to get away to their own place where they can communicate with friends or people they know.

September 3, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  182. Emily

Well I go to school in North Carolina and I wouldnt give up my password to anybody no matter what. I dont care who you are. I keip stuff like that private not even my parents know them. And it is like invading someones privacy like going through soeones journal or diary.

September 3, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  183. Tristan

I think that it is an invasion of privacy, however there are certain cases where it might be okay. If the school is protecting it's image I can understand that, but if the person isn't specifically saying that they are from that school then it is an invasion of privacy.

September 3, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  184. Anthony

I think that taking passwords from kids at school is a invasion of privacy and should not be tolerated by kids or parents, and if they are not listened to they should change schools.

September 3, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  185. Lena

i think that they should block the websites in school...

September 3, 2009 at 5:52 pm |
  186. Torrie

I think it is a great idea becouse it will help thekids stay in line and not get in troubble!

September 3, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  187. Isaac

I think that they should have privetcy but on the other hand they should tell there password if they are menchining anything about drugs or anything like that.

September 3, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  188. Lizze

School can't control what students do at home-as long as the student isn't doing anything to hurt another student physically or emotionally. I understand that this is a Christan school but this just crosses the line! KIDS NEED SOME PRIVACY!!!!!

September 3, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  189. Ryan

Really I think there has been to much of that talk happening around my space and i am glad they are monitoring it but it seems like it's an invasion of privacy because why else would you go on my space in the first place.Although for teachers knowing the bad things about their students is the right thing.

September 3, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  190. Talie

I think students should never be aloud to share there password to my space, face book, or any other website.

September 3, 2009 at 6:06 pm |

I think parents should take their children somewhere else.It's their personal thoughts.

September 3, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  192. Courtney

I think the students should only be forced to give up their password to Myspace or Facebook if they are doing something wrong AT school. What they do at home is not the school's business.

September 3, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  193. vannessa

i think it is very wrong for kids to give there passwords i would move ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!
    and any way i would not give my password to anybody!

September 3, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  194. Gena(sounds like Jenna)

They call it MYspace for a reason. It's not mine and my teacher's space. Schools can't use the internet aginst us. Our own space is important for teens right now. They can't take that from us.

September 3, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  195. Meagan

I think that no, faculty should not be allowed to get student's password's beacuase, it is a invasion of privacy. If something happened that was cuased by myspace or facebook the parent's I think should get involved and watch their kid's delete their myspace or facebook or watch them take the offensive thing's off. But that is just me.

September 3, 2009 at 6:23 pm |

I dont think the they should take the passwords Of the students and let them do want they want! If someone askes 4 my password i will fight 4 it!!!!!!

September 3, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  197. Lupita

I think that requiring students to give up their MySpace or Facebook password is absolutely an invasion of privacy. This is the United States of America and students shouldn't have to forfeit some of their rights in order to go to a certain school. I know that schools have the right to make their own rules but I honestly think that this one is downright unconstitutional.The real kicker is the reason they do it. They don't invade the privacy of their students to keep the students safe from doing drugs or drinking alcohol instead they do it to protect the school's reputation. That seems really selfish to me. If they want to protect their reputation then they should work with kids who are using drugs or alcohol or suspend or expel them rather than just keeping it hush hush by taking away their privacy. Taking over their social networking page doesn't solve any problems.

September 3, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  198. Miss Rachel

I would like a point of clarification: is the school asking for everyone's passwords up front so they can check? Or, do they only take action when there is a specific incident that they think is punishable? Whatever you write on the internet is public information, whether you have a password or not. If the school is demanding Christian conduct even outside of the school property, parents should expect that their children are following the rules and they can do that by monitoring their online behavior.

September 3, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  199. patrick

i think that they shouldnt be allowed get peoples passwords because its violating there privacy and if there doing it at home its at there own risk but if its at school they should be able to punish him

September 3, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  200. Kevin

Why should us students have to give up our password and username to our school? It is an invasion of privacy and unfair to the other students that they have to suffer from another students mistake.

September 3, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  201. Keyshawn

I think that if it happened in the school they have a right to do that, but otherwise outside of school it is a total invasion of privacy. The schools shouldn't have any authourity to take a password unless it happens on school grounds.

September 3, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  202. Jace

I believe the school's right to have acess to these passwords is limited by the fact that these social networking sites are not at all under any relation to the school. The situation would be different if the information were being spread about a school network, but because myspace and facebook network friends in a private network setting (if so you choose), it should not be within the school's power to sieze these passwords. The fact that it is a private school complicates things. I believe that if a student finds the policy outrageous, he or she should simply not attend the school.

September 3, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  203. Justin

it is an act that disrupts the privacy of students. Also, many students will lose personal information.

September 3, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  204. Olivia

I think that it is reasonable that the school principal should be conscious about what their students do on the internet- especially if that student is saying that they go to that school. It could hurt the schools reputation and all. However, it is a little extreme to invade on someone's privacy like that. I am sure that there are other ways to deal with this.

September 3, 2009 at 6:53 pm |
  205. Joana

i think they should leave the students accounts alone it is their own private account out of school and should be allowed to do what ever they want on it

September 3, 2009 at 6:54 pm |
  206. Hunter

It's invasion of privacy, but if it has happened at school, I see no problem with it. The problem is giving away your password at some sites is against the rules, therefore getting you banned from the site, the worst being an IP Ban.

September 3, 2009 at 6:55 pm |
  207. Brandon

If the students are on a computer at home then they can do whatever they want with their facebook. If they are on a school computer on facebook then the school should be able to monitor them. It's not right to invade someones privacy without their permission.

September 3, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  208. Tevin

I woudn't go to that school if i had to give my passwords to the people who work there. Thats just plain wrong.

September 3, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  209. Austin

I think it's bad to have a myspace and facebook. I also think that they should do this certain thing to be sure about the students.

September 3, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  210. shannon

the school, even though it's private, has no right to as for a students myspace or websites like passwords. it's an invasion of privacy no matter what kind of school it is

September 3, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  211. connor

I think it's not right a password is a student's personal information.
    And if you have to give it up that is an INVASION of persoal space.
    I vote against it.

September 3, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  212. Matt

In my opinion the school should have no control over what the kids do on their computers at home but they should be able to control what they do on the school computers

September 3, 2009 at 7:36 pm |
  213. Dakota

I think this school password request is ridicoulous and an invasion of privacy. Unless they are doing it at school or making fun of the school you should leave it be. Plus isnt that the parent's job to be monitoring these kids.

September 3, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  214. Christiane

I think that they school system should not have students passwords for their myspace, facebook, ect. Because its an total invasion of privacy, Its the students own bussiness what they talk about and do not the school system. Its the students life not theirs so they might as well butt out.

September 3, 2009 at 7:44 pm |

Yes, kids should be able to give up there passwords and parents always have the option to move there kids out of the school. Also, it also has a plus the school could also monitor if the kids are getting cyber bullied by another kid at school that way the kid could be RPC'ed IMMEDIATELY!!!

September 3, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  216. Christiane

I think that the school system should not have students passwords for their myspace, facebook, ect. Because its an total invasion of privacy, Its the students own bussiness what they talk about and do not the school system. Its the students life not theirs so they might as well butt out of it.

September 3, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  217. Ray

No They should only be able to make you give them your password if you post something that threatens someone or the school and another student reports it.

September 3, 2009 at 7:55 pm |
  218. madison

I think that texting while driving should be a law, people have thier own time to text and not while driving.

September 3, 2009 at 8:00 pm |
  219. Sam

I dont think the school should have that right to have their students password because what those students what to tell their friends though an online source is none of the schools business.

September 3, 2009 at 8:00 pm |
  220. Graham

I think that if kids are using social networking sites at home, the school has no right to force them to give up their passwords. I mean, what if I said, "Hey Mr. Principle, give me your password for your email address so I can see what you've been up to!" I don't think the school would like that, so I think that they shouldn't be forcing students to give them their passwords.

September 3, 2009 at 8:02 pm |
  221. Brandon

They dont need the kids passwords. if they do it at school yes but if there at home they dont need to be on there facebook. 🙂

September 3, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  222. Eric

we watch the student news every morning. In my opinion what happens at school stays at school and what happens at home stays at home.

September 3, 2009 at 8:13 pm |
  223. Madeline

I think taking students Myspace or Facebook passwords is an invasion of priacy. I don't think the students should be able to use Myspace or Facebook at school, but at home they can do whatever they want on Myspace or Facebook. If a teacher is concered about what a student has done on Myspace or Facebook, they should talk to that student's parent.

September 3, 2009 at 8:15 pm |
  224. mishal

its a better idea if there was no such thing as a chat blog just all your friends up with a phone!

September 3, 2009 at 8:23 pm |
  225. Emily

i think that they shouldn't go through peoples personal things but they are going to i think but they shouldn't

September 3, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  226. sam

To be honest i think the school has no rights to get a students password.I think the parents need to be responsible for looking at there childs Facebook,and Myspace ect.. Therefore the school has no business having a students password!

September 3, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  227. amanda

i use a random password. its easy to remeamber and no one else would think about that!

September 3, 2009 at 8:45 pm |
  228. simran

i say that passwords should not be forced out of students if they are not willing to give them. myspace at school is different but if students have a myspace at home, they should be kept private. needed information from students could be withdrawn from behavior or parents.

September 3, 2009 at 8:58 pm |
  229. Chione

I feel that if it is outside of school it is not the school business .
    I feel that it is an invasion of childrens privacy .
    If a child is doinq somethinq bad on THEIR myspace , than
    that is the childs parents responsibility.
    If the childs parent is ok with it why should the principle worry ?
    He's probably miserible .

September 3, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  230. jennifer

i think that that is NO FAIR and that they are acting MEAN they are MEANIES!

September 3, 2009 at 9:07 pm |
  231. yasmin

I am so against the password thing.Im against it because that is completely an invasion of privacy because its thing that i do when im home.I honestlybelive that no one should be all up in my information from my house especially if I dont know those people.It get me so mad when the wrong people want to know all my information...

September 3, 2009 at 9:17 pm |
  232. Katherine

Schools are only responsible for their students while they are at school during school hours. So they shouldn't try to take charge over what students are doing outside of school. The school shouldn't be able to control that much of your social life. Schools could talk to their students and suggest that they shouldn't say the wrong things on myspace or facebook and explain why, but if the students don't want to listen, that's their own problem.

September 3, 2009 at 9:18 pm |
  233. cheezebizkit

this is flat out invasion of privacy. its one thing if theyere going on myspace at school but in regards to home its ridiculous that they demand a password. that school has no right to require that from students. and in regards to the parents that say its a good idea, what type of parent are you that you would give up youre kids privacy, what they do in the tranqulity fo their own home to a school. the way i see it i made the myspace i got the password and its gonna stay like that

September 3, 2009 at 9:21 pm |
  234. Jeffro

I think that giving your teachers your passwords is a huge invasion of privacy and social activity, and second these websites tel people not to give your password to ANYONE!!!!

September 3, 2009 at 9:34 pm |
  235. Sara

This is definitely invasion of privacy. There is no reason for the school to ask for their password or username. Only the police if there is allegations of a serious offence on Facebook or another site, but never the school. If the student is on social networking sites at school, they should be punished. But, there are other ways of doing that besides invasion of privacy. Besides they are ultimately accountable to God not the school.

September 3, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  236. Challenge

I think that what students do at home is their own business. The school has the legal right to make the students give them their passwords, buts it just shouldn't be done.

September 3, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  237. Debra

I think that asking the students for there their password is ok............ i say this because it is a private school. I can understand students using myspace or facebook in a public school and getting upset about them asking for their password but most private schools are christian or catholic based schools. Alot of things on there may offend what they beleive in and what they stand for.

September 3, 2009 at 9:43 pm |

It is so dumb that they are even letting kids on to facebook and myspace at school. It is blocked at our school so it should be at theirs. If the people in our school district made everyone tell their passwords, I would refuse because it is an invasion of privacy.

September 3, 2009 at 9:43 pm |

Personally, I wouldn't want a teacher to go through my myspace or facebook, its called privacy. I can also see how posting or bragging inappropriate things on your updates and status's makes the school look bad, if I were the principle I would ask students to not write stuff like that online, forcing them to give up their password is not fair or right.

September 3, 2009 at 9:48 pm |
  240. LaDaniel

Although it may be an invasion of privacy, schools should have the right to search students' online pages, because you never know if what is said could affect and put in danger the students, staff, or anyone else who attend.

September 3, 2009 at 9:51 pm |
  241. Cody

I think this is not fair because some kids don't like people going around there Myspace and Facebook accounts.I think it really is a invasion of privacy.

September 3, 2009 at 9:57 pm |
  242. Liv

I think that unless the students were doing innapropriate things on facebook/ myspace on school computers, however if they're doing it at home it should be none of the schools business.

September 3, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  243. Daniel

i would not give my teacher my comment because he/she would invade my personal social networking page where i connect and chat with my freinds i would rather get kicked out of the school than give up my account

September 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  244. Rocio

My opinion is that this school should not get into the kids private lives. Myspace and facebook are not school related and students should be allowed to do whatever they want out side of school. If the sschool doesn't want any problems that relate to this sites then all they need to do is block these sites from their systems just like the other schools have done. If the user choses to use this site to harrass and make negative actions then its the parents respocibilities to take care of that. The school should not force it's students to give up their passwords its just invading their privacy. I think the school it's just abusing it's power on the students.

September 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  245. Elizabeth

a) you should be giving the school a good name... ecspecially if you go to a private school.

b) i go to a private shool, and i would probably give them my password, just because i dont really have anything to hide.. but it is my personal stuff...

c)the teacher should be more consurned about keeping the students there. he should love and care for them and not want any of them to leave.. so give them their space.. please...

GOD BLESS!

September 3, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  246. Aryelle

Its would be stupid for a school to make students give up a non school related password. Unless the kids are on Facebook, or Myspace at school, they shouldnt have a right to forcibly check it.And most parens probably wouldnt care about it as much, they're just focused on the education, so if the kid wanted to move schools because of this, their parents probably wouldnt let them.

September 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  247. ivy

well i don't agree because myspace is your own privite thing. teachers shouldn't be involed in this because it just isn't right

September 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  248. Lance

Alright, I think that what people have on their Myspace's and Facebook's should be all to themselve's. But also, if they are going to get onto them at school... Well, the school should have the right to know there password's. Which it isnt that hard to just settup and easy program to retrieve password's each time they type them onto the computer. Also, i'd like to give a shoutout to my school! Go Wolve's !

September 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  249. lauren

i think that is so totally like ridiclous that is in invasion of privacy whatever they have on thier Myspace,Facebook,Ect. It's thier privaccy or thier friends to know only.

September 3, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  250. ccc

thats so stupid why that heck would you do that. there not gonna thank you for that there just gonna give you less respect. why do you even wanna see their facebook anyway???? thats like their diary. ever heard of the constitution??? i guess you have to cause thats what you teach but it lets you have THE RIGHT TO PRIVACY!!! think about it

September 3, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  251. Daniel

think it is not fair to have to give up your login for social networking pages like myspace also all your personal information is posted in your profile and your friends messages are also on your page so your info and your friends info will also be exposed

September 3, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  252. Meredith

I have heard of schools hiring people to check on students' facebook, Myspace etc., but I feel like its a real breach of privacy. A facebook is meant for family and friends to look at- not your school. If a student is having trouble, then the parents should be involved. The school should not be able to judge you by your facebook.

September 3, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  253. Ari

What we students do outside of School is none of their business. The school is a place for learning, they are not their to be our parents. If a parent wishes to watch a child's facebook/myspace then fine, but the school should have no part in it.

September 3, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  254. Ruby

What!
    There are two parts of school: AWAY and AT.
    AWAY from school, you do Homework. That's it.
    AT school, you learn.
    SIMPLE. THEY DO NOT MIX.

September 4, 2009 at 12:04 am |
  255. Erin

I think this is very wrong, but not just because I'm biased. I think this is not only an invasion of the student's privacy, but their freedom too. The students shouldn't have to give up their lives at home just because it could hurt the school's image. What you do at home and what you do at school are two completely different things.

September 4, 2009 at 12:22 am |
  256. Julian

My opinion on whether or not the students should give the schools their passwords is that, that is just an invasion of privacy and that they shouldnt give the schools their passwords unless the students are on myspace, facebook, etc at school, but if the students are out of school and writting the stuff they say at home then they shouldnt give them their passwords.

September 4, 2009 at 1:18 am |
  257. lauren

Way would thay make kids giver ther password to them?it is wrong!!!!

September 4, 2009 at 6:27 am |
  258. Tori

i think that there are two possible ways that you could look at this problem because one it is an invasion of privacy for just a normal school but you have to think about it this is a christian school and the rules are different. i think that just because it is a christian school and he was talking about how he did while he wa at the christian school i think that they should check it. I believe if it was any other school that they shouldn't be worried about what people are doing out of school because it is the fact that they are out of school.

September 4, 2009 at 6:30 am |
  259. shianne

i think your newes is cool

September 4, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  260. Megan

This is not cool. If its at school, its not good, but I think that if its at home, its the parents problem! I would quit going to that school!!!

September 4, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  261. Megan

This is not cool. If it's at school, it's not good, but I think that if it's at home, it's the parents problem! I would quit going to that school!

September 4, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  262. jaxson

if they let them get on facebook or myspace they should give them their passwords

September 4, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  263. Laney

they should never take peoples passwords, it is invading their privacy

September 4, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  264. Ryan

i think they should outlaw texting while driving

September 4, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  265. Caitlin

I think it is a good idea for schools to do that so they know what illegal stuff some of the kids are doing out side of school. Some kids smoke pot, some drink, some beat up other kids, and they are stupid enough to post that on their social networking sites.

September 4, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  266. hannah

i think that teachers taking students passwords is in invasion of privacy

September 4, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  267. logan

i think its not right taking peoples rights and thoughts at school. it should be the parents job to do that. teachers are taking parents home jobs.

September 4, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  268. Cade

I am not in support with this idea. Students should not have to give up their passwords to their own Facebook or MySpace pages. The students could be moved to another school, true, but for some parents and students that can be a very hard desicion. I really don't think that is fair for the principal to make them do that.

September 4, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  269. Tyler

I belive that the school should never be able to view what you have private on your myspace, unless you are on your myspace on school grounds like the lawer sayed. After all it is his job, your buiesnes, and your privacy.

September 4, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  270. Carrigan

I honestly think that having to give your passwords to your school is a very arguable. As a Christian myself I understand where schools are coming from. But on the other hand kids need to make mistakes to learn in the real world. You're just protecting them from something that they need to learn.

September 4, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  271. Jaker

I think they're being dumb. The school shouldn't ask for something personal like that, its like taking the kid's cellphones and reading all their text messages, plus isn't it the parent's job to monitor their kids facebook and stuff? i think this school is trying to take too much responsibility for their students actions.

September 4, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  272. london

I do note think it is right that students should have to give out there passwords to e-mail,facebook, or myspace parents should have the right to do that but school should not be able to make them give out there passwords

September 4, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  273. Matt

I think that is dumb. I think kids should have what they want on thier myspace or facebook.

September 4, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  274. Michael

I dont think the school has the right or even the authority to violate and intrude on something not related to school. It is a total violation of privacy and needs to be stopped so kids can speak freely at home on there own Myspace or Facebook page with out having to worry about school officials looking at it...

September 4, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  275. Lizzeh

As long as there not on facebook or myspace at school I think the shouldn't have to give away there passwords and facebook/myspace/twitter is apart of there home life rather then their school life so I think the school is being unfair.

September 4, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  276. Shruti

I think it is an invasion of Privacy. Why not give detention or another serious punishment than giving your own password. I just don't like this policy. Enough Said.

September 4, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  277. Shaquille

i think that they should not ask for the password because its there own privacy, and if there parents not worried about, they shouldn't ether.

September 4, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  278. David

I think that it is really an invasion of privacey to have kids like me give up our passwords even though those websites tell us to not tell any one our passwords.

September 4, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  279. lexie

I think the princibal has a right to know the students passwords because if they didn`t know who knows students would be writing on their myspace, twitter, or facebook.What if they put a picture of there self with a gun?Nobody knows.

September 4, 2009 at 9:40 pm |
  280. Brandi

They are invading students sites. the students aren't getting on at school just at home.soo they shouldn't have to give up there password.what hey do after school is there life not the schools.

September 4, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  281. Grant

I do not think that we shoukld allow texting while driving for many reasons. For one i think that you would become so engaged in to your cellphone that you would forget about driving and you would crash. I think that we definatally should out law texting while driving because people need to focuse on the road not on there friends that they are texting.

September 4, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  282. Breanna

Tht is wrong and shouldent be aloud its invadeing privacy. Soo if they half to give the school there passwords then the school should half 2 give there passwords to everything they have 2 the students. But i still think its wrong n if it was me i wouldent give any1 my password.

September 4, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  283. shawnicee

I feel that thats the students prsonal space and that the students should no rite frome wrong being the age they are.

September 4, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  284. Wan

There are rights for a school to protect its image
    and also there are rights for students to protect their privacy

I don't think that's the only way to protect its image. It would be better for the school to look for another way to secure both school's image and students' privacy

September 5, 2009 at 4:54 am |
  285. Abigail

I say it's really for the better. I may think that all myspace and facebook are evil, but the schools should know what's going on inside their halls and if they have to track a student on facebook inorder to keep the school in line, I say go for it!

September 5, 2009 at 8:14 am |
  286. Victoria

sure they want to montior what were doing but it's still an invasion of privacy it's still our lives.

September 5, 2009 at 8:29 am |
  287. jasmine

I don't bnelieve that the school should get the students password. I think its an invasion of privacy. If they are on myspace at schooli can understand, but what they do at home is their business. students shouldn't have to worry about getting in trouble at school for something they're doing at home. Its just not right!

September 5, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  288. Emily

I think its a total invasion of privacy and I know that its a christian school but, the kids don't go on Facebook or Myspace when they are at the school, they only go on at home. I understand that the on kid was talking about drugs on Myspace but , that still doesn't give the schools principle the right to take those kids passwords for Myspace or Facebook.

September 5, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  289. katie

that's not fair.no one should be forced to give up there buisness

September 5, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  290. Zach

I can certainly see both sides to the story but it should obviously be outlawed in all states just to make it safer also if it is outlawed iI am sure some new technology will be invented to help hands-free texting.

September 5, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  291. Socrates

I can see to both sides of the story but if you are in a school and they make it a rule then you should abide by it. It is in someways an invasion of privacy but altogether id do agree that your password should be given up.

September 5, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  292. Kira

That is invasion of privacy, Its just not right. But if it has something to do with the school. I totally agree, Its a total different story

September 5, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  293. Haley

I think that it is an invasion of privisy

September 5, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  294. Vanessa

No the kids shouldn't have to give out their password to twitter,facebook, myspace. Because its not the teachers don't need to know what their doing on their!

September 5, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  295. Sydney

I think it is a waste of time with the students to give up their passwords because they can easily make a new one. If they want a myspace then they should beable to have one! Kids Need Their Freedom Too!

September 5, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  296. Miranda

In my opinion, I think the school has the right to do that- if it's image is the only problem. However, if their students behavior is bad enough to have to acquire their passwords, then they should have to deal with the bad rap they are recieving. As their students look to them as their main source of education, and are not getting what they need as far as behavior principles.

September 5, 2009 at 6:54 pm |
  297. Marysa

I fully support the school, the students make a decision to follow the rules or not. Whether or not they care for the reprecussions or not is their fault, schools are merely taking behavior monitoring to the next level. MySpace and Facebook is were a lot of conflict begins for students

September 5, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  298. Collin

It is a total invasion of privacy! I think you shouldn't have to give up your password. Its your personal stuff and the school shouldn't be worrying about it. It's like someone going through your room and looking through YOUR personal belongings. Its just not right.....

September 5, 2009 at 8:00 pm |
  299. Darian

If they asked me for my password or else i would be kicked out, i would just say peace i'm out!

September 5, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  300. yoyoyo

if they want to get my password , (and i hope they read this) i need my privacy ! everyoneone does goodbye school

September 5, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  301. Abby

I think the students need punishment for making bad choices while on the internet, but I don't think that it is the school's place to enforce the punishment

September 5, 2009 at 9:05 pm |
  302. rachel

i think it is a invasion of privacy. I get what they want to do but you dont just look on someone's my space or facebook page. I get that they are a christian school and all but it is wrong. It would be different if they were on myspace or facebook at school, but you dont just go out and spy in peoples personal lives.

September 5, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  303. Emily

I think that no mader what school it is no one should be able to go on your facebook or myspace because it's none of their buissiness!

September 6, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  304. Victoria

I think its wrong to take their passwords. They could just ask them for a user name to look them up by. Someone could lie about having one. I think its really wrong.

September 6, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  305. Kiana

I think that they should not have that right to the passwords. If they want to know why don't they just ask the student and then go see if their lying. And i also want a shout out 2 CAVALIERS!!!!!!!!! WE'RE NUMBER ONE BABY!!!!!!!

September 6, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  306. Lindsey

I believe it is an invasion of privacy to get childrens passwords. You should leave it to the parents to supervise what there child is doing.You wouldn't want anyone invading your personal life would you?If the parents are not complaining then why are you?

September 6, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  307. Deyanira

I understand and respect what the principal is saying, but he also has to respect his students privacy. When students are at school the teachers are in charge of what we do, but when we aren't on school grounds they can't control us anymore, that's our parents job. Most parents wouldn't ask for their childs passwords to their myspace or facebook, because even they understand that you have to give your kids trust. A school shouldn't even allow access to myspace or facebook in the first place, so if they do they need to respect that privilage and not make such a fuss about it.

September 6, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  308. kyle

it aint non of there beeswax of whats on our profile. it would be invading private property and me personally, i will not give away private information.

September 6, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  309. Kaitlyn

I think that is a total invasion of privacy because what a student does outside of school is their business, and their business only. I am just saying that what a student does outside of school is none of the school's business and they should just stay out of it. And if a student doesn't want to give away their password to their myspace or facebook account they really shouldn't have to.

September 7, 2009 at 12:28 am |
  310. Ariadne

I think that is wrong and unconstitutional. No one should have to give their passwords to anyone on anything, not even myspace or facebook. Your pages shouldn't be monitored by anyone unless they are your parents making sure you aren't talking to some psycho, other than that students should have the freedom to say what they want on their page. Why should a student have to censor their pages so that the school doesnt get a bad reputation?!? That's just selfish on the school's part. That takes away a student's freedom. Plus these are THEIR accounts under THEIR names and email addresses not the school's.

September 7, 2009 at 3:43 am |
  311. Katie

I really don't think that schools have the athority to basically HACK into someone's MySpace, Facebook, or some other kind on page. They mine as well monitor their email, too...

September 7, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  312. hasans

ı think school maneger is right to monitor the students password and account in school times.Because school is not passing a time home stuff but also schools needs to give all students to leisure time and feel free.

September 7, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  313. Isa

Making the kids give their passwords up is an invasion of privacy. Making kids give up their passwords is like telling adults give up their bank accounts passwords or e-mail passwords. Schools should be interested in other things like how to help a child learn more to succeed in school and life, not to be forced to give up their passwords to myspace, facebook, twitter, etc, because they want to modetor what they do AFTER school. The school should only worry about what they do in school not after school. Also giving up our passwords takes away our few privilages of privacy we have, its wrong and ujust, and it just doesn't make sense.

September 7, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  314. Isadora

September 7, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  315. Isa :)

September 7, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  316. Kuooch

I think that what people have on their Myspace’s and Facebook’s should be all to themselve’s. But also, if they are going to get onto them at school… Well, the school should have the right to know there password’s. i think they should because its schools come on its not at your house where you can do what ever you want. if its happens at schooli will give them my password

September 7, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  317. McKenzie

This is a strong invasion of privacy. People are not aloud to control what other people say about them. Why should this school be able too?

September 7, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  318. Zach

I personally think that the school making it mandatory to give up your password for Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, or any other of the social networking sites is an invasion of privacy. If they have a big suspicion that they could be threatening the school, or any other kind of incident, then they should have the right to get your password for further investigation.

September 7, 2009 at 7:54 pm |
  319. Cesar

In my Opinion Thsi Is Compltely Wrong! A school Should Not Own Your Password For any Reason At All. Thsi Is An Invasion Of Pricacy. And The Conduct You SHow With Your Friends On My Sapce Or Facebook Does Not Show Your Condyct In School. The School Wants To Maintian A Good Name, But It Is Ruining It's Name Through This Invasion of Privacy!! (mood: Mad)

September 7, 2009 at 8:17 pm |
  320. Tricia

I believe that if that particular school is supposed to be keeping counsel on their students' behavior they should be allowed to see if the student's corruptness is due to their activities on Myspace. And if the famillies don't accept that, why is their kid in an elite private school?

September 7, 2009 at 9:05 pm |
  321. Rachel

VETO!!! Unconstitutional! Unless all the students get to hack the principal's private things.

September 8, 2009 at 5:34 am |
  322. Meschach

I believe that what this school is pursuing to do wethear or not how good it may be toward the school is a unconsentual invasion of privacy, and a blow to a fundamental American value that needs to not lose its footing among us all. Wethear Man, Woman, or child it isnt the individuals age or school that should make them a candidate for these proceedings. I do not like the notion of any one person or organization having access to my personal life at the click of a button. What any American does behind closes behind close doors or closed cyber walls is that Americans buisness and whoever that American allows to know that buisness. It is a sad day in American when in even in the simplist of situations damage American lively hood. I believe in a great society free and rid of the pestering unwanted influence and aquisition of influence over our daily aspect of Human life especialy when those lifes are made private.

September 8, 2009 at 8:48 am |
  323. North

I personnaly think that such an act is an invasion of a students privacy. ones personal life is not the bussiness of the principal, your teachers, or anyone else! what a world we are educated in!

September 8, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  324. Ben

September 8, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  325. ben

I dont believe that the school should take students passwords because the student deserves privacy. but I also believe that they should not log on with a school computer.

September 8, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  326. Breanna

I think that people shouldn't be allowed to go on others pesonal profile. How would you feel if some saw al of your personal messages not cool huh. Thats why people shouldn't be allowed to get others pasword.

September 8, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  327. Kenzie

I THINK PEOPLE SHOULD NOT! I THINK IT IS WRONG FOR PEOPLE TO GIVE THERE PRIVACY AWAY! Not right at all!!!

September 8, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  328. Emily

What people do after school has nothing to do with the school. It is a complete invasion of privacy and i definately wouldn't want to go to a school like that.

September 8, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  329. sadie

What I don't understand is why the teachers are in the kids bissiness? Unless the kids are doing Facebook or Myspace at school and then the teachers should be aloud to look at the coments but it's someones else's privacy and the kids probly don't want it exposed!

September 8, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  330. Isabella

This topic seriously infuriates me. Honestly, it's outrageous! This is unconstitutional, is an invasion of privacy, and generally its morally wrong. I do understand where the principle is coming from, I understand that he wants to make sure that these students from this Christian school stay true to their religion. But that doesn't mean he should collect students password. IF they log on to any of their social networking sights at school he is allowed to seize these passwords, that's the school right because it was on the school property and they have a right to know what goes on. But truthfully just like most students, if i were put in this situation i would completely give the to wrong password and find myself an attorney.

September 8, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  331. Amanda

i really dont think the should even have an account, so ya! they should give up there passwords! 😉

September 8, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  332. heather

well i dont think its right i think that what we do at home or out of school is our deal not theirs. yes i know we go to there school and stuff but that dont mean they can see what we sayin. i mean we could be talking to someone about stuff we dont want other people to know.!
    thats what i think!

September 8, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  333. Legera

I think it was wrong of them to ask for the passwords. Your Myspace is like your bank account. You don't give it to just anyone. It violates our right to privacy. After teachers are allowed to access this one thing then who is to say that they can't choose our lives for us? I find this ridiculous.

September 8, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  334. Maisy

I don't think the school in South Carolina should make the kids tell them their password. It is one thing if they are going on their account during school, otherwise it's invading their privacy and shouldn't be done.

September 8, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  335. vannnesssa

its not even related to school stuff so they shouldnt even be loooking on those peoples stufffs.
    :Dthanks again.:)

September 9, 2009 at 12:24 am |
  336. Jess

that is unfair because face book and school are two place taht dont mix well and the school does not need to see every side of you

September 9, 2009 at 2:24 am |
  337. Nik

I think that it is dumb to give away personal life passwords to you school which is a whole other category of life. Education and personal things should not be brought together. It is an evasion of privacy to.

September 9, 2009 at 8:18 am |
  338. Kerri

I think its wrong to make someone give up their myspace or facebook password. It's their business and the way they live their life. Chances are that their is other people that do the same that go to the school. What are they gonna do, expel everyone?

September 9, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  339. Sarah

The whole password ordeal is really getting out of hand. This is stuff happening at home which has nothing to do with school so why are they worried about it. They are responsible for us AT SCHOOL, not when we get home. This is my big problem, we are not their kids so they need to stop acting like it and get their own business to worry about. If we want to talk about people on myspace, facebook then we can if we to. What teenagers aren’t going to do something like this? I mean these websites are blocked at school, and therefore I think administration should not worry about it.

September 9, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  340. Brandon

I think it’s wrong to ask for some ones password into their online account it’s almost like stalking in some way but why the teachers do it just cause something bad happen the teenagers and teacher have to settle it not ask them for a password into their account into MySpace or face book or any kind of online contacting

September 9, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  341. Cole

I think its stupid to make students give up their passwords to Facebook, MySpace etc. But if they suspect bullying then they should do what they can to stop it. However, I think they should only have your password if they have suspicion of the person bullying other people.

September 9, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  342. JJ

I don’t really know what to think about school administrators being able to look on your actual MySpace or Facebook just to see if you are talking bad about the school or something. If they want to know that bad, then they can make their own account and see what everyone else is seeing.

September 9, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  343. Nick

I think that the school in South Carolina is making a big mistake by forcing kids to share their Facebook or MySpace passwords. This is an unnecessary step that i do not think should be taken, partly because it is an invasion of privacy, but mainly because kids are doing this on their home or personal computers. Although what the kids are doing might be wrong, the school has nothing to do with it, therefore they should not be involved, the parents of the kids or a relative should be involved. Kids should not be checked on daily on how they use their computers, because the adults who have a Facebook or a MySpace most likely do similar things. Also, the schools may mess up or change the student's accounts, which should not be done.

September 9, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  344. Jack

I think that the school should wait until next year before enforcing their Facebook and MySpace policy. This year, the parents enrolled their children without knowing they might have to give up the Facebook password. If the school waits until next year, they can send out a form about. This way, parents have an opportunity to give their thoughts or not enroll their child.

September 9, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  345. Laura

I think that they shouldn't be able to take student's myspace and facebook passwords. If they are using them at school would see why they are taking up passwords, but they aren't. They are using them at home. The school has no business taking up their user names and passwords.

September 9, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  346. Aislinn

I believe that we should not have to give up our password to anyone. Our Myspaces or Facebooks are our personal space. Its like letting the school come into our room and take away things that they think we should not have, or listening into our phone conversations to make sure we don’t say anything they don’t want us to say. All those things are personal and we should have the right to keep it from them.

September 9, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  347. john

I think it is ridiculous to require passwords. Many students could easily lie or refuse. It is a dumb idea and it will not work. Besides, what is the school going to do if you have a myspace? It is dumb and like the principle says, you always have the option of transferring your student to another school.

September 9, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  348. Jacob

That IS a violation of privacy and it should be illegal to try and gain passwords from children

September 9, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  349. Emma

Not all schools do that I just moved to GA, in July from South Carolina. My school DIDN'T make anyone give up anyone's password to Myspace or Facebook. It's the persons business to do what they please on those websites.

September 9, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  350. Caitlin

I think that it is not right to ask for a password from a kid because they might take it offensively. I know if they are getting on it at school it's different but instead of taking there password take there account then the whole school will not be able to accsess it anyways and there will be no worries about the account at all. Only if they are not getting on at school should they be allowed to keep there account. Is'nt there soppossed to be a block on the sights like facebook,myspace and so on at school anyways.

September 9, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  351. ashley

..... it is there privacy not the teacher and only if they are doing some ............. bad at school then........

September 9, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  352. Dane

Passwords are confidencial nobody else needs to know your password.

September 9, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  353. Joshua

I think that it is an invasion of privacy, but I also think that if they are trying to acess those kind of websites that they should be diciplined but not by having a teacher know your password.

September 9, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  354. Sabbie

Well, see, I believe that internet sites such as Myspace or facebook, does not reflect the school's image, it in fact reflects the student's image. I believe that this is a invasion of privacy, and that it shouldn't be allowed, and i also think it's illegal.

September 9, 2009 at 6:55 pm |

I think its redonkulous that they are making kids give passwords to social networking sites. Isnt that like an invasion of privacy or somethin??? And school life should be seprate with home life exept for homework.

September 9, 2009 at 7:03 pm |
  356. SHERMAN

I DISAGREE!!!!!!! I THINK THIS IS NOT RIGHT TO ASK FOR PEOPLE PASSWORD. I THINK ASKING FOR STUDENT PASSWORD IS A INVASION OF OUR PRIVACY. WE AS STUDENT NEED OUR PRIVACY JUST LIKE YALL TEACHERS AND ADULTS NEED. I THINK WE SHOULD BE TREATED AS A ADULT AND STOP TREATING US LIKE BABIES WHERE WE HAVE TO GIVE UP OUR PASSWORD TO OTHER PEOPLE.

September 9, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  357. Chris

Myspace & or Facebook Is For friends and Family and Usually Holds Messages with Personal Friend to Friend / Family Member To Family Member Talk about Crushs,School, Worries, Dreams, etc... Teachers & Or Administrative Staff Shouldnt Have the Power To Go Through Their Students Myspace/Facebook Accounts do To Academic Failure. Thats An Invasion Of Privacy & Its Wrong.

September 9, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  358. anastasia

i think obama is doing ok and he trying to help but i dont know why he is going after a lot of thing

September 9, 2009 at 8:46 pm |
  359. Brandi

If it was at school i would under stand but this at home you cant controll what a kid does the parents should worry what goes on at home not the teachers.

September 9, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  360. Scott

Giving passwords is like giving away your identity to a complete stranger. It's wrong to do it.

September 9, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  361. America

There are some things that are private, and a school does not have the right to look through students facebook and myspace accounts any more than they have a right to read their mail and listen to their phone conversations.

September 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  362. Sophia

This is absolutely unacceptable under any circumstances! Schools should not be encouraging the kids to give up their password because that could start bad habits not only on their campus ground but also out of school. I would change schools and spread the word about how the school is if they made their kids give up their PERSONAL passwords! A note to all never follow other if you don't think it is acceptable, always follow your own judgment!

September 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  363. Kelsey

I think if the kids will leave myspace and facebook at home then they shouldn't ask for the passwords. If it continues to be a problem then don't let them use their laptops or itouchs at school.

September 10, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  364. CJ

That is just wrong.People should not be able to read your private material if you do not wanty them too.So in my opinion i think that it is very wrong. All they are doing is invading our privacy.

September 10, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  365. Callie

What kids put on their facebook/myspace is what they decide to put on there. School's shouldn't interfere. If a school really wants to monitor accounts, they should just monitor the front pages. They could possibly even require your account to be set on private so that not everyone would be able to see EVERYTHING. What people's conversations are is THEIR business. Not the school that they go to.

September 10, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  366. stephanie

i dont know why people are saying that it is jest onther speech.some kids i think got really inspired by it.i am one of those kids.i loved the speech and i could see it over and over again.

September 10, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  367. gabi

I think people at the South Carolina college should NOT be forced to give up their MySpace or Facebook passwords because it is an invasion of their privacy. I also think that MySpace and Facebook are NOT appropriate for school.

September 10, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  368. Elizabeth

Why should any student have to give up their password? It's not the school's right to do this. Especially if you get on facebook or myspace only at home.

September 10, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  369. Abbey

They shouldn't do that. That's cyber stalking an thats getting in to other peoples buisness. The schools shouldn't be ALLOWED to do that. The only people thst SHOULD would be people that work for the goverment.

September 10, 2009 at 4:57 pm |
  370. Quintin

I think that's wrong asking students for there passwords to their social networking pages. I feel as it is a invasion of prviacy to the students. As students we are all ready monitored by the site its self so why should be monitored by our school and if we have something they don't like on our page we can possibly face displenary action for that. I dont think thats right by all means neccesary.

September 10, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  371. Jordan

I can understand him wanting this but some things are private. I wouldn't want my principle monitoring my accounts!! Thats the parents responsiblity

September 10, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  372. nicky

Texing and driving is really bad I think people should not do it.

September 10, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  373. Tarique

It makes me sick to my sick to think its wrong the school is making kids give up their passwords to myspace and facebook. there's nothing wrong with those web sites. its our info and our privancy not the school's its ours. we should not be able to give up our passwords to nobody cause if you give a password to somebody that person will just see all your personal business and spend a rumor so its our time and privancy as long as we don't do it at school we r good

September 10, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  374. ABBY

I think that students shouldn't have to give the school their passwords because its not between them and the school, its between the parents and the students. The parents are the ones who allow the students to have a facebook/myspace so they should be the ones to monitor. Schools reputations shouldn't be known by what their students post on facebook/myspace, it should be known by their teaching and etc.

September 11, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  375. Kelly

I think making students give up their passwords for facebook/myspace isn't fair to the students as it should be the students rights to give up their personal password for an online website that has nothing to do with school. A student's home life and school life are two separate things and people shouldn't try to combine them.

September 11, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  376. desiree

i think that for a school to be doing something like this that they might be doing something wrong. if this school has to monitor what a teenage person puts on their myspace or facebook then maybe they should stop doing what they are doing. i understand the school wants to be kept private but in this world there really isn't a thing called privacy anymore. if this school is so paranoid that they have to be checking your myspace and facebook then it makes me think why are they paranoid. are they doing something wrong? it makes me think could this happen at my school, or maybe around the world? could this start taking effect on everyone?

September 11, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  377. sarah

I think that making student give up their password is a violation of someones privacy. Someone's school life and private life are two different things. What a student does at home doesn't have much connection with what they do in school. The school shouldn't try to monitor a kid's life because it should be up to the parents to monitor their child's life.

September 11, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  378. Jenee

UHHH?
    How will having your students password help them out or help your school? ever heard of invasion of privacy? Do u see us students asking our teachers for their password just to make sure they are doing their part? Students need their privacy just as much as teachers and other adults. Most people talk about some pretty personal things on myspace or facebook; somethings that your teachers do not need to know about. im sure that if a student trusted a teacher enough they would talk to their teachers about their personal problems on their own, without being forced.

September 11, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  379. Julia

I don't think that knowing a students myspace or facebook password could help them in school at all. Kids wright about who they are, what they did over the weekend, who their boyfriend or girlfriend is. kids don't wright about school and what they in there classes. That is just a way to keep tabs on the kids to see if they are doing anything bad. I think its an invasion of privacy.

September 11, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  380. peter

i dont think that is right for schools to be able to look at private information that doesnt even have to do with school. I would inderstand a little better if they were looking for a threat or something that directly had to do with the school or someones safety but just monitoring what kids do isnt right.

September 11, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  381. Alyssa

It is interesting to me that people are so upset about giving up their password. If their profiles were appropriate, they wouldn't have any issue with an adult from their school looking at it. I think that the only people who would have an issue with giving up their passwords are the ones who do have the type of inappropriate content that the school wants to prevent.

September 11, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  382. Jenna

This is a complete invasion of privacy. No school should be able to do this!

September 11, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  383. Laura

I think that if you are doing your business at home, the school has no business being in your business at home. I mean, I don't think that schools have any business being invloved with our home. The school has nothing to do and doesn't even relate to the issues us kids have with those websites.

September 11, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  384. Emma

i think students shouldnt give up there password because some of the stuff they put on there acount is private or personal but they definetly shouldnt play on there acount during school

September 12, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  385. MIKELL

Its not right for schools in South Carolina to ask students for their facebook, myspace, twitter, etc.. passwords. First of all its an invasion of privacy. Some teachers have facebooks and some of them be cursing on their facebook and nothing happens to them. But if a student is misbehaiving they get kicked out of the school and thats not right.

September 13, 2009 at 9:26 am |