September 1st, 2009

Texting, Driving, and a Nationwide Law

Should the government outlaw texting while driving?

We've blogged about this a couple of times here, talking about what a bad idea it is to text while driving.  But now, the Governors Highway Safety Association is calling for a complete ban on it.  If that goes through in Washington, it could soon be illegal to text while driving anywhere in the U.S.

A recent study found that 24 percent of drivers under 20 years old say they often text while driving.  Should that be illegal?  Would a law make the roads safer, or do you think many people would risk a ticket or an accident and text anyway?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Jinsol

I think this law would make the road safer. It's not just because of his/her safety: it's for other people, too. If my parents were in the road and someone hit their car because they were texting, I would be so mad. I don't think people would text as much if they made the fine expensiver. That would also raise money for other issues like kids having to walk to school because of the reduction of bus stops.

September 1, 2009 at 7:32 pm |
  2. sam

I think it a great way to get teen and/or adults to pay attention.I always here on the news about a car crash due to texting while driving.so hopefully this law will pass so we may have a safer road.-sam

September 1, 2009 at 9:29 pm |
  3. Karissa

Yes, I do think that they should make texting while driving illegal because the people who do that are not putting all there attention on the road and risking there lives and other peoples also.I do think that there will be a lot of people risking getting a ticket because they rather text because people under 20 are still immature and selfish.

September 1, 2009 at 9:30 pm |
  4. Mikali

...I think the government should outlaw texting for drivers of any age because there are too many accidents happening every day. It is unsafe to text while driving...It is just as bad as drunk driving.

September 1, 2009 at 9:36 pm |
  5. Ben

I think that this law should be enforced to an extent. You should not be able to texting while in a moving vehicle, but while at a red light or when your car is not moving you should be able to text. When the light changes, or when you need to move you should stop.

September 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  6. Bak

I think if it becomes illegal, the law could save many drivers from big accidents(death and wound).
    Although it is a little forcible, the effect would be great.

September 2, 2009 at 4:47 am |
  7. Vivian and Vikki

We think the government should ban people from texting while driving because people can't focus on two or more things at once. So if you are texting messages while driving, you won't be able to notice very quickly when an accident is happening.

September 2, 2009 at 5:19 am |
  8. Josiah

Is saying hi to your friend worth boosting your risk of death?

September 2, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  9. Cami

They should ban it because it is worse to text while driving than it is to drink and drive. That is dangerous.

September 2, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  10. Diamond

I believe that if the state were to ban testing while driving, then they should also ban reading a map, eating a sandwich, and reading instructions, because they all cause a certain level of distraction Thus, I feel as though if an authority see you driving in the car and your eyes are anywhere besides the car then whatever your involved in at the time is a distraction and should be banned.

September 2, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  11. Deontress

It should be BAN!!

September 2, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  12. Torrey

It's unsafe to text while you drive. They should make it illegal to txt while driving.

September 2, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  13. Joey

I think they should ban txting while driving because it is very dangerous and can get u killed. That was a cool looking crach though.

September 2, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  14. Michael

I personally think you shouldn’t be able to text while drive. My dad does it with one hand on his Blackberry and one on the wheel, but I don’t think that’s good enough. Texting can wait until you’re not moving or out of the car. I know that I won’ be texting while driving.

September 2, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  15. Cole

I think that everyone should ban texting while driving. If something that raises chances of wrecking 4 percent is illegal then why isn’t something that raises the chances by 8 percent illegal?

September 2, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  16. Sarah

It is a great idea to ban text messages while driving. It will reduce the risks of accidents. Also most teenagers are the ones doing the texting while driving and they are the most unexperienced drivers to begin with. Studies show that texting does cause more accidents and by banning it, the accidents will be reduced.

September 2, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  17. Kara

I think that it is a good idea for a nationwide band of texting. Nothing is so important that it can’t wait till you get where you going. It is very dangerous the stats say that it is more likely that you will get in a crash while texting and it is more common than if you were a drunk driving. I think that it is a good idea for a nationwide band of texting.

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  18. Latangela

I think that the government shouldn't outlaw people texting while driving.Some people can text while driving so why try to take that away from them for someone else mistakes.

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  19. Leigh-Ann

I think that they should band texting and driving because that is my life as well as someone else's and I would rather live the rest of my life. It's okay to talk on the phone while driving, because you can be a little bit more focused, but when you are texting you are looking down unless you are really good at texting and many people aren't.

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  20. Nobles

I think that texting should be prohibited because there are a lot of kids that just got their license and go driving and they like texting and they wreck a lot. It would be safer on the road and would have fewer wrecks if kids would stop texting our at least would drive and text with one hand.

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  21. Victoria

I THINK TEXTING WHILE DRIVING (TWI) SHOULD BE BANNED BECAUSE IT IS VERY DANGEROUS. IF THE CONVERSATION IS THAT GOOD YOU SHOULD EITHER CALL THEM OR PULL OVER AND TEXT.DO LIKE I DO AND TEXT AT THE RED LIGHT.

September 2, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  22. E.O

The ban on texting is a good idea, and would help safety a lot. But it’s impossible to enforce. How is a cop going to see someone txting? Are they going to pull them over and say “you were txting?” No, how would that work? A cop would have to just pick a random car and then the driver could just put the phone up, and then the cops would have to lie just to get an arrest or give a ticket, but that would be no surprise.

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  23. Michael

If Plaxico Buress was jailed for 2 years for shooting hiself of course texting should be banned when driving if people are going to get hurt or killed

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  24. Patrick

i think its a good idea for them to ban this, it is putting other peoples life in danger. But if it do get ban texting the question is How will the communiy know if the drivers are obeying the law?

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  25. Kiya

I believe that this law should be implemented. I would hate for my mother to be on the road driving and someone in the car beside her was texting. One wrong move and they both could get into an accident. And I don't want to go home and get a call saying my mom was injured in an accident, because another driver was texting while driving.

September 2, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  26. KP

I think texting while driving should be banned. If it threatens people's life then its common sense to not text while drive. If thats not enough to make people stop then there should be a law to ban it.

September 2, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  27. Jewale

Texting while driving is a very dangerous thing and i feel that it should be bane to protect other drivers and pedostrians.

September 2, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  28. Bree

People really shouldn’t text while driving. Because it does cause too many wrecks so they really should ban it. Because if people aren’t smart enough to not text while they are driving then they really shouldn’t be driving at all. All the people are just putting their lives at risk when they text while they are driving.

September 2, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  29. Nick

I think that they should ban texting while driving. I think that texting distracts people and it causes careless and preventable mistakes. If they ban Texting while driving, although it would be hard to detect, they would probibly prevent a lot of accidents. I think that there should be a radar detecter for wireless signals to detect texting made for police.

September 2, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  30. nadia

i think this law should be outlawed. It will make driving safer for first time road drivers. But while at a red light i think you should be able to text when your car is not moving.But when you are not at a red light and you are driving you shouldnt be texting. That way it will be safe to drive.

September 2, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  31. Habibat

Texting should be ban because people are dying each minutes just because of a careless driver. I will support the bill even when I do have my car at the age of 16. Everybody has to learn that this is making a big different in our life.

September 2, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  32. Brandon

I think it should be banned teenagers especially, talking that’s what Bluetooth is for but texting is going to get people killed you can text after you get out of the car at your destination not when you’re going towards it. Even thou I don’t have the ability and I’m not of age even if I did have the ability to text while driving I would never do it too dangerous.

September 2, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  33. Tyrin

This law would really make roads safer! And it can get more people to pay attention to the road! But I think that people are still going text while they're driving, so it has to enforced strictly.

September 2, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  34. Leigh-Ann

I think that they should ban texting and driving because that is my life and the other person's life and I want to live the rest of mine. It is okay if you talk on the phone and drive because you can be more focused.

September 2, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  35. Camiya

Yes I do think this law should be enforced to an extent, I dont think they should go crazy about it and start stoping all the cars and giving a alot of tickets,but just make sure people are doing what they need to do to make less accidents. Like just give awards to people who are not having accidents make them want to stop txting while driving.

September 2, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  36. Dorion

Yeah, they should ban texting while driving but I don't think it's gonna make people follow that law anymore than banning illeagally downloading music did.

September 2, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  37. LaSharndra

I don't see anything wrong with tetxing while driving. I do it all the time its normal to me.

September 2, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  38. KhaJada

it doesnt matter to me right now because i dont have a cellphone but people will risk a ticket to text. In a way it would be stupid to band texting its like telling people not to walk

September 2, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  39. Shay

no i dont think it should be banned because if someone gets killed in a accident because someone was texting it was obviously there turn to go because god allowed them to be killed so either way they was gonna die that day at that hour

September 2, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  40. JJ

I think that texting should be banned because people will just take their eyes off of the road and run in to something or someone. The law probably won’t stop everybody from texting but I think it would help extremely because police could stop someone if they had a suspicion if the person was texting and it might make the person think twice about texting and driving.

September 2, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  41. Sarah

Texting while driving should be banned in every state. I know I text while I drive and I will admit that it is very dangerous. That what is the mean cause of teen death in the united states, and I am pretty sure that they are going to do something to save our teens from being killed this way.

September 2, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  42. Matthew

no because it will not make the rode safer. Every one will not stop texting. I think dinking and driveing is bader then texting on the highway. So dont outlaw texting in the U.S.

September 2, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  43. Craig

With recent advances in technology you are able to use bluetooth, voice commands or use a hands free device. There should be a ban texting with laws passed in individual states.

September 2, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  44. colin

i think that texting while driving is not a good idea because people can lose there lives easer than you can lose your life while drunk but either way they are both should not be aloud unless u want to lose your life than go for it. i know that is not what i want to do with my life cause i have plans in the future.

September 2, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  45. Alex

This is a good law to enforce. I have seen people driving either fast or slow while driving. I have passed many drivers that aren’t paying attention, and they almost crash, or drift over to far into the other lane, and the other drivers nearly hit them. I am concerned about the safety of the non-texting drivers.

September 2, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  46. zach

i think that this law is to be enforced to a very limited extent. if you are in a moving vehicle and you are the driver then you shouldnt be texting ortalking on the phone in the first place. btu if the vehicle isnt in motion then it should not be enforced.

September 2, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  47. Brian

My grandmother was killed by a reckless driver, so I can at least understand what it is like to lose someone who was killed by a moving vehicle. I do support the ban on texting. Take a look at history: before cell phones came about people made probably the same amount of accomplishments as we do today without cell phones.

September 2, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  48. jasmine

I guess it should be a law not to text when driveing.It willl reduce the number of deths in the U.S.

September 2, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  49. Jacob

They should make a law. Im just starting to drive and it scares me that other people are endangering my life as well as the life of others because they cant wait until they reach their destination to answer a text.

September 2, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  50. Syera

I think that if you are super careful when you text and drive it’ll be fine. But if its someone who can do more than one thing at the same time then I don’t think it’s the best choice for them. And you could get really hurt if you tried. But I don’t think its that bad to do it at the same time.

September 2, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  51. Andres

It is crazy that there is even a debate over this. People should know better, it’s obvious that this takes your focus away from the road, and I think that if you’re texting somebody it’s not as important as someone’s life and it can wait for an appropriate time.

September 2, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  52. Ian

That law should most definitely be passed. There is no reason for a person to be texting while they are driving. Why risk a crash when you could just wait a few more minutes to talk to whoever you need to talk to. Convenience should not supersede safety.

September 2, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  53. Jordan

I believe that texting should be banded while driving just simply because of the study that shows that is more dangerous than driving while drinking. If its 2 times more likely that you will crash when you drive then it should be banded.

September 2, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  54. Jeremy

I think it is a bad habit to get into. Because it can cause car recks. The reason it causes recks is because you take your eyes off the road. It can cause you to get hurt or maybe even killed!!

September 2, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  55. Janai

I think that texting is so dangerous while driving and that it should be band in all the states. People pay to much attention to thier phone and not enough on thier lives and other peoples lives.

September 2, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  56. Rafiki

I think it would be a really stupid idea to ban texting whil driving. I know many think the reason would be is cause i like texting, but it's not. I've seen kids hide it in shool(like myself) and people will also try to hide it while they are in there cars hich will make them be paying more attention to there "hiding spot."

September 2, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  57. Surada

I think they should make law about it. Like everyone said you can’t do 2 things in the same time. Texting while driving is worst more than drinking while driving, and mostly people are doing this is teenagers. Pretty much this law is go straight to us, teenages.

September 2, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  58. Tripp

Yes, I strongly support a bill that would put a ban on texting. It is unsafe, and risky! In order to text, you have to take your hands off of the wheel, and your eyes off the road, putting you at a great risk, no matter how safe you feel. I think it is just as bad , or worse than drunk driving, and after watching that UK texting video, I fell even more strongly about my views.

September 2, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  59. Katie

I admit to texting while driving, but I don’t think texting should be illegal while driving. If you are capable of texting while not looking at your phone, then there is no problem. If you look at your phone while you text, then you have more of a chance to get in a wreck. I think people should use common sense when it comes to this matter. If you can’t multi-task, then DON’T!

September 2, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  60. Teat

I think texting while driving is dangerous cause i know somebody who totaled out there car cause they were texting and driving.

September 2, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  61. Sarah

Yes because the statistics show that many people are being harmed or killed because of texting while driving.

September 2, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  62. Auston

I dont think it will matter if they band texting or notit just one of those things that people will do regardless, kinda like drinking and driving it will only increas the amount of tickets officers must right.

September 2, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  63. Greg

We like to drive the way we want to . If you are afraid of being in a reck then don't drive.

September 2, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  64. Matthew

i think that texting should be banned everywhere in the world.

September 2, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  65. Zach

The government should make a law about no texting while driving.

September 2, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  66. london and carri

Dear Carl I think that is a good thing that they are telling people not to text while driving. I hope that law is everywhere in the world.t Texting is very bad. from carri and london

September 2, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  67. jaxson

i dont care about this law because i cnat drive and i dont have a phone

September 2, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  68. mitch

they should not because what if you were in a emergency like someone was chasing you you should be able to text or call.

September 2, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  69. Chamberlain

I think that texting while drving should be banned. It is a hazard to other poeple on the road, and is an irresponsible thing to do.

September 2, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  70. Hunter

I agree they should outlaw it. It's just as bad as drunk driving, and so many people are dying by the day by it.

September 2, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  71. Anonymous

I don't think the government should allow texting while driving because it not only harms you but puts other people in harms way.
    -Megan

September 2, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  72. Max

I think that this law should not be enforced. If it was then you should not be able to text while driving over a certain speed, say 40 miles per hour, or during rush hour. The only real problem with this law is when someone NEEDS to text someone versus texting just to talk to someone. So this law is probably not a good idea because of the fact that most people will text anyways.

September 2, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  73. Becca

i think that it sould be outlawed. If you really need to talk to someone that bad call them. Its a lot safer then texting.

September 2, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  74. Ronika

I think people should not text and drive at the same time that's why some people be have accidents .

September 2, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  75. Mekerria

I think that they should ease up off of the law.

September 2, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  76. Rachel

I think that U.S govt. should enforce that law because they should

September 2, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  77. Mason

i think that people should not be able to, but alot of people might want to text. I think that you should not be able to drive while texting if you have not been driving for at least 2 years. You need to have plenty of experience driving.

September 2, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  78. amber

i think the road would be safer but what if someones relative get in a problem and text us so that we can be there to help them so that no one else would get hurt but yes it would be safe.

September 2, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  79. Zack

i think that if you are good at texting while driving, as in you can text without looking at your phone, then it shouldn't be a problem. But if you've gotta like search for the keys and you can't text very good then you should just wait, so i think it should be a personal decision and not illegal.

September 2, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  80. Michelle

the u.s. government didnt pay for the cell phones therefore they shouldn't decide when they are used. people should just learn to be more responsible when driving. besides if you made it ileagal people would do it anyway. you would have to find a way to punish them if they got caught but you wouldn't be able to take their phone( tht would be taking away their right of property) so they could just do it again anyway!
    : )

September 2, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  81. Haley

I think texting should be banned in Georgia because people are going to end up having a wreck.

September 2, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  82. davante

the government should allow it because if they have an accident that's on them

September 2, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  83. Liz

Well I think that people will still ignore the law and would text anyway. A law is not really a law unless it is enforced, I do not think that they will enforce it.

September 2, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  84. Rachel

I think texting should be band in every state because texting is very dangerous because your eyes are on the screen and not on the road. I think that they can make the law but most people would just text anyway. Texting is a major part of our lives and people will not just give it up because it's a safety issue. People shouldn't be able to do anything that prohibit your eyes from being on the road.

September 2, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  85. Mikesa

I think that texting and driving is a very bad combination,because most teens rather pay attention thier text than to the road!

September 2, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  86. Mason

Look up the facts. It is worse than drunk! If this isn't ban then being drunks should be ban also.

September 2, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  87. Alex

I think that it should be illegal to text while driving because it distracts from driving and is currently more of a distraction than driving under the influence. If texting was banned than it would make the roads safer at a very small cost. This would not be the end of the world and it would be a small sacrifice to keep our roads safer.

September 2, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  88. Bryanna

Texting while driving is a very dangerous situation because people are not paying attention to the rode but their cell pnones. I feel as though, even if it became a law that you cannot text while driving it will be hard to enforce. Me personally, I can text without even looking at my phone, so how would a police officer know if someone was actually texting. It would be a good law to pass, but the question that comes up is "Will it really work?"

September 2, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  89. Hayden

Texting while driving is just like riding a bike with no hands on dirt hills. It should not be attempted. Driving in the car while texting should be agaisnt the law in every state. That would insure safety across the entire U.S.

September 2, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  90. Alayna

I don't think that the government should mandate that you stop texting while you are behind the wheel of a car. If people do text while they are driving, it is their choice, and at their own risk. On the other hand though it could jeopardize other lives. But, then again, even if there is a law many people will not obey it.

September 2, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  91. Lenguinni

I think texting while driving shouldn’t be banned from every state because so drivers are capable of texting. If someone isn’t a good driver than they should not text because they are putting them and someone else in danger. I think it should be allowed but if it does start to effect the United States with a large number of deaths then it should be banned.

September 2, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  92. Taylor

I think texting while driving is extremely stupid and should be banned in every state nation wide. I don’t know how they would catch texters but they should definitely work out a way. You’ve seen the stats and they conclude that you are twice as likely to get in a crash while texting as to driving drunk. That is ridiculous.

September 2, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  93. Jasmine*

In my opinion, I think the government should not allow texting while driving because, for one thing, its extremely dangerous. People are so oblivious. They think "oh well its not going to happen to me so I'll do it." they just dont know that this stuff happens everyday. So the government really needs to act quickly on this.

September 2, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  94. Leah

I think that texting while driving should be a national law. There are a lot of accidents just because people are texting. I think that you should be able to talk on the phone while you are driving though. When you talk on the phone, you are able to pay attention to something. But when you are texting, you are looking down at your phone and are not able to pay attention to the road.

September 2, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  95. Chase

I think that this law should be enforced. Texting is becoming more popular and that means that more people are going to text and drive. This is going to increase how many crashes there are and everybody's safety is going to be put at risk. I have seen people text and drive and they are swerving everywhere because they aren't paying attention. If they go a little over they are going to cause a crash and I don't think that anyone would like that.

September 2, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  96. Mason

I think that people should not be able to, but a lot of people might want to text. I think that you should not be able to drive while texting if you have not been driving for at least 2 years. You need to have plenty of experience driving. Look up the facts. It is worse than drunk! If this isn’t ban then being drunks should be ban also.

September 2, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  97. Tyrone

Texting while driving is something that most people will continue to do even if there is a law against it. Everyone wants to stay in touch with their friends and family... so look at the bright side, at least if they were to get in a wreck they would have most likely been talking to someone that they loved which is all that really matters.

September 2, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  98. Brandy

I thing texting while driving should be illegal. If texting cause more car crashes than when someone is drunk then that is not good at all. What about the people they hint when they are texting while driving, and how they can kill someone or even themselves.

September 2, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  99. Kishan

Texting while driving should be banned in all 5o states, because the risk of texting and driving is too great and it is worse than talking on the phone and driving. By banding texting and driving we can make the streets a safer place to dive and prevent the loss of indicant live. But the technology that cars have today that can text for them while they dive might help to prevent accidents that are related to texting.

September 2, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  100. James

I think that they should make texting while driving illegal. There are a lot of teen drivers who are not very experienced. By letting them text while driving the combination may turn to be deadly. I believe that they should make texting while driving illegal to keep the driver and all the people around them safe.

September 2, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  101. ale

I think that texting should be illegal while driving because it causes more accidents than drunk driving. I think that while people are driving they should just drive nothing else. They should wait until they are not in a car to text.

September 2, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  102. John

I think texting while driving should be outlawed. Most of the heavy texters that would drive while texting are teenagers, and they do not have nearly enough experience to text while driving. Myself being a teenager, I feel I can accurately represent the teenage population, even though I am perfectly comfortable texting while driving. In closing, yes there should be a national law, I doubt I will obey it as it will be VERY hard to enforce, but it is a good idea in an attempt to discourage others from following it.

September 2, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  103. Laura

I think that texting should be banned everywhere. If you text while driving your putting other people in danger. Drinking is banned and if your texting its more likely that you will wreck .

September 2, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  104. jack

I think that texting while driving should be illegal because anything that needs to be said can be said through a phone call. Talking on the phone is still dangerous but it is still possible to look at the road. This way you will not crash and die.

September 2, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  105. Aislinn

Its a very smart idea to make a law against texting while driving, but I think it would be very hard to get people to follow it. Too many people text while they drive so it would be very hard to catch everyone. Its a good idea but will be very hard to enforce.

September 2, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  106. Schills

The government should absolutely ban texting and driving. There has been so many accidents because of texting and driving that the numbers are probably off of the chart. If something is not done about this problem then people will keep getting in accidents and the numbers will keep increasing.

September 2, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  107. Bryce

That's a no brainer. Of course they should ban texting while driving across the nation. It's stupid.

September 2, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  108. Dani

Texting while driving shouldn't be allowed for it could not only claim the drivers life but it could also claim the lives of other innocent people.

September 2, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  109. Utau

This would be a great law! Texting while driving is stupid and dangerous, it only causes problems. It would be hard to follow though, since teens have a sickening (That's right! Sickening!) obsession with texting (I don't), but it would be VERY WORTH it to try!

September 2, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  110. Luke

texting should be banned because alot of people are just going to get hurt sooner or later and its worse than driving drunk!

September 2, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  111. Kennedy

i think the U.S. should have a ban for texting in each state. this is mostly for teens that drive. many lifes can be lost because of texting while driving. you would think people would have some sence to not text while being drunk and driving at the same time, either. plus think about the innocent people that weren't texting and they lost their life because of it.

September 2, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  112. zack

Clearly, we should ban texting while driving. The casaulty rate for teen fatalities is like that old grumpy teacher we all have. Having it skyrocket with texting would be like Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy rooming in Hogwarts. It would also keep the innocent alive. This is an obvious no brainer. The PSA was alarming, but if you have to take extreme measures, but you gotta do what you gotta do. If nearly 4% of all 20 year olds text while driving, it's a matter of when they'll get hurt badly, not if.

September 2, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  113. Lois

I recently lost a friend because of a man driving drunk and it honestly scares me to think that some one texting while driving (like everyone I know) is more likely to get into an accident. I think banning texting is a GREAT idea.

September 2, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  114. Kyle

I think texting while driving shouldn't be allowed in ALL the states. It is very dangerous and you can crash and get terribly injured. For those sho have texted while driving and got injured, I hope they have learned from their mistakes.

September 2, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  115. Dalton

I think that they should band texting while driving because it would save so many lives.

September 2, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  116. kilby

I think texting while driving is a bad Idea .They shoud make it a law as quick as possible.

September 2, 2009 at 5:00 pm |
  117. lee

Texting while driving should not be allowed because it is dangerous to the drivers.

September 2, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  118. jonathon

I THINK THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD BAN TEXTING AND DRIVING BECAUSE ITS STUPID.PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW WHAT THERE PUTTING THEM SELVES IN DEADLY RISKS.THERE FUTURE COULD BE GONE THERE LIVES COULD BE GONE THEY MAY NEVER SEE THIER FAMILY OR FREINDS AGAIN.SO YES I THINK TEXTING AND DRIVING SHOULD BE BAN!

September 2, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  119. Kyle

I think they should ban texting while driving because it's dangerous for you and other people. Maybe if you have a passenger in the car and they know how to text ask them to do it instead of you so you don't put yourself in danger. Or maybe just don't text at ALL. If it's that important stop at a gas station or a rest area so you can respond. That's all I have to say.

September 2, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  120. megan

i think texting should be ban when driving because it no only puts at risk but others as well.

September 2, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  121. tyler

My family thinks texting should be ban because more death could be caused by this. I have been in a car reck and my brothers have been in pain when i woke up from my sleep. I had a black out a few seconds after I woke up. I don't want others to die because people weren't paying attention to the road.

September 2, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  122. Fletcher

I think texting while driving should be banned because of the danger it puts you and the people around you in danger. It can also result in unintentional consequences.

September 2, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  123. Kimber-ann

Texting isn't the issue here, its that your not paying attention while you are on the road. This is dangerous to you and others on the road. I support no texting, but we should also look into making other laws that eliminate any distracting objects while you drive

September 2, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  124. david

why shood thay dand texing for

September 2, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  125. vanessa

Yes sur, maybe some people will risk a ticket, but i think it will have the positive effect on many people like we hope for

September 2, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  126. Tucker

No texting while driving could lead to accidents, accidents lead to emergency room.. all followed up by a big bill, so pass this law for safety and our economy!

September 2, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  127. david

that is dum becus i don,t have phon so why shood thay dand texing

September 2, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  128. Kerri

I think that if they don't ban driving in all states texting while driving will probally lead to us being an endangered species and even if they don't ban the law we should still stop texting while driving

September 2, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  129. ASIA

I really think texting while driving should be BANNED because if it was your loved one driving while texting u wouldn't want them to have a accident and might die would you people out there say yes texting should be banned and not no okay.

GOO......EGALES

September 2, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  130. zach

I think they should ban texting whle driving

September 2, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  131. lee

i think they should ban it because texting while driving can cause a wreck

September 2, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  132. Ellie

People are dying the texting messages. We must ban text
    messages.

September 2, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  133. Bryan

I believe that texting should, in fact be outlawed. It is a dangerouse thing to be doing and we want our highways as save as can be. Not only do i think it should be outlawed to text but also to talk on the phone while driving because a lot of the time, it can take your attention away from your driving which could end up badly!

September 2, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  134. Anne

I think they should explain the rule out more. If your sitting in traffic you should be able to text because you could be their for hours. Maybe something like no texting while a car is in drive.

September 2, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  135. Luana

Of course it should be illegal. Talking in the telephone is and it isn't as bad as texting. When you text you use your eyes and one or both your hands, so your not at all devoted to driving. You can't see anything and even if you do you can't do anything about it cause your holding your phone and texting. And, yes i think many people would risk their tickets and continue texting, at least at the beginning. But there's no way we can only let it pass and not create a law. Eventually people will get used to it, and the number of people who text while driving will diminish.

September 2, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  136. Lauren and Rhonda

We think that the government should ban texting while driving because texting is not as important as a life. I really think it should be everywhere.

-Lauren:) and Rhonda

September 2, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  137. Carrie and Eli

Yes, because you can't look at the road while looking at your phone. Also, our sister is a "texting freak" and she could get carried away just like anyone else.

September 2, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  138. Chandler

I think they should not outlaw texting because some people can actually drive and text. If they do outlaw it won't be that big of a deal. What about talking on the phone because it's not that much different than texting.

September 2, 2009 at 7:40 pm |
  139. david

they should cancle it because more chances of crash then talking on the phone

September 2, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  140. Alfred

I say no because maybe some people might get important text messages from their boss maybe our parents might send us an important text message like take out food and that sort, maybe a police or the airforce or the marines might send a text message to ur dads or moms who go to that certain job, maybe you'll get a text message saying u need to be at work at a certain time. That what i say about if texting during driving should be banned AND I SAY NO!

September 2, 2009 at 7:54 pm |
  141. Andrew

It is scary that people who text while driving are at a greater risk in getting an accident than those who drink while driving, so I recommend the ban. I also would like to say that those graphic videos kind of go to far. Couldn't the creators of these videos mae it less graphic?

September 2, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  142. Pablo

They should make it a law because they would be risking thier life talking to a friend.They should meet somewhere else except texting for a few seconds.Just 10 seconds can risk their life.

September 2, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  143. Jake:-)

I think it is a very good idea to bann texting because it does cause lots of accidents and my friend text so much and shes about get her licens!

September 2, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  144. Jacob

I believe that texting while driving is exactly like wearing a seat belt. It's our safety, why should we be required to do it. If we chose to be unsafe while driving, well, that's our choice.

September 2, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  145. ty

I thank the government should ban texing @ driving because people die every year! you can live with out tixing every 5 min.

September 2, 2009 at 8:45 pm |
  146. Leigh

I think that there should be a Nation wide ban on texting while driving. If studies are showing that people who are texting while driving are more likely to crash than a drunk driver then that says something. It just isn't safe to be texting. If someone wants to text wait untill they are off the road.

September 2, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  147. Emily

Yes because poeple cant do two things at once. People die every five seconds by driving and txting. They will do what they think will be best for this country , but i think they should.

September 2, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  148. Shelby

I think they should because it is really dangerous to text and drive.You could crash!

September 2, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  149. Shae.

I agree, it should be completely banned. But how do they plan on enforcing it, really? People get away with so much while they're driving as it is. I won't text while I'm driving though. I can't. 🙂

September 2, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  150. LaDaniel

The government should outlaw any acticity that includes a cell phone while driving. Even if a driver is only looking for a split second, that's enough time to cause a wreck. Wrecks happen in mere seconds. Drivers should be completely focused on the road, and can wait for about 10 minutes to get to their destination before using their cell phones.

September 2, 2009 at 8:59 pm |
  151. Kartik

Of course the government should ban texting while driving. How hard is it to wait until your destination to text. Not just might it kill you, but also whoever is in the car and the car your going to crash into. If some states ban talking on a phone while driving, texting while driving is worse! There have been so many people dying or getting seriously injured in car accidents just because the driver couldn't wait to say hi to his/her friend! Besides the effect to people, the car(s) would be totalled. Also if the state has banned texting while driving, wouldn't you have to pay the ticket? Everyone thinks nothing is going to happen, "I'm only doing it once. So what?" The total loss greatly overpowers the benefit, knowing what your friend is doing. People would definetly not risk this much for texting to your friend. Well, atleast me and a majority of people would not. So my final answer, obviously, is yes! Ban it! Not just for the drivers that got their license 6 months ago but for every driver!

September 2, 2009 at 9:17 pm |
  152. dylan

The government should most diffently ban texting while driving. People are to busy finding the letters to write something and they aren't paying attention to the traffic around them. I am all for the ban against texting.

P.S. your jokes are funny!!

September 2, 2009 at 9:20 pm |
  153. kelsey

yeah sure it can prevent car crashes and accidents but how can a cop see that they are texting .how will this work? will the cop just pick a random car and pull them over and say " sir u were texting while driving?" it wouldn't be a surprise if cops do that because they just want to give someone a ticket or arrest someone to get payed.I'm not so sure if this law would work out.

September 2, 2009 at 9:25 pm |
  154. Sam

While I think that texting and driving is dangerious, I don't believe that cops could actually catch people texting, nor prove that they were doing it in the first place.

September 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  155. Briana

I think texting should be banned while driving because it is a very big safty hazard. I am just starting to drive and i know i would not be able to concentrate as well if i had my phone in my hand. I understand the law would be hard to inforce but at least it will make a lot of people more conscious of texting in the car. I have heard of a handsfree law in some states and i think that is a good idea, technology like bluetooth can help people communicate in the car while still having hands on the wheel and being safe. I still think many people will risk the ticket but if maybe just a few people abide by the law we can prevent many accidents that happen on a daily bases due to texting in the car!

September 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  156. Parker

Of course it should be against the law texting is distracting and can cause accidents that can harm everyone

September 2, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  157. Ali

I cannot think of one person I know that hasn't texted while driving. With our technology these days it appears that every teenager has a cell phone with texting. But serioiusly guys, I'm your age too but I think we could wait the few minutes to get to our destination to reply to a text. Or if you're driving with someone have them text it for you. People can call just as easy has a two worded text message. If your family and friends love you would they put at risk of crashing by sending a text. I love texting but come on, it can wait a few minutes. They should enforce it as a national law. They aren't trying to make us mad here people, they are simply trying to protect innocent people on the road. Be smart, Don't text and drive <–it's that simple!

September 3, 2009 at 12:36 am |
  158. Duc

Until all cars have autopilot driving, texting while driving should be banned everywhere. There has been way to many accidents involving the issue.

September 3, 2009 at 12:38 am |
  159. Danny

From what I've heard from CNN, text messaging while driving seems a very risky and unwise thng to me. The government should pass some laws banning text messaging while driving

September 3, 2009 at 2:57 am |
  160. Omar

This is great. Finally a law that can lower the amount of deaths happening in America, but it will take a while to enforce. People just got to learn to stop texting and driving and pay attention to the road, or it will cost you your life.

September 3, 2009 at 7:36 am |
  161. KRiSTA (:

my life is wayy more importantt then you textingg yourr friendds,
    ndd if someone hitt me while they were textingg...
    id be veryy madd,
    ndd im pretty sure you wouldd be too.
    soo.
    in my opinion i thinkk theyy shouldd ban itt!

September 3, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  162. Jesse

No it should not because i love to txt :(:(:(

September 3, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  163. Thomas

ok this is crazy. The only thing i ask is how ould they enforce it? cops catch you sppending with radar guns and lasers but how in the world would they catch you txting? it makes no sense. Yes studies show that its dangerous and i agree. But i have to ask again HOW WOULD THEY ENFORCE IT?

September 3, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  164. Vincent

YES!!!...BIG TIME.... I'M ALL FOR THIS ALLLLL THE WAY.... I MEAN, IT'S MORE "ALOT MORE" DANGEROUS TO TEXT WHILE DRIVING THEN JUST TALKING ON A CELLPHONE..... I SAY THE WHOLE U.S COUNTRY SHOULD BE BAN FOR TEXTING WHILE DRIVING JUST LIKE TALKING ON A CELLPHONE WHILE DRIVING IN CALIFORNIA.

September 3, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  165. Nate

I believe that the government should bann texting throughout the country. Texting while driving is a very dangerous thing to do because for one you have 80% chance of getting yourself into an accident. If you need to talk to someone on the phone, pull over. There have been tons of people who died just by texting on the phone while driving.

People who drive on the road while texting (and i am a high school student so i know this) dont pay attention to the road. When you try crossing the streets, there are times that they wont stop because they're on their phone.

So long story short, yes it should be bann throughout the country.

September 3, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  166. John

I approve of texting while driving. if you're skilled enough to be able to text and remaine alert at the wheel, then you sould be allowed to text. I believe a test should be given during the driving exam to determine if you're able to text and drive. Like they have class E on the license, they can have Class T for texting while driving privilages.

September 3, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  167. Meagan

I think that texting while driving should be banned in all state's if, you are under the age of 28 because most teen's are just beginners at the whole driving thing. Where people over the age of 28 they are more experienced and have been driving for 10 years.

September 3, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  168. Ashley

I think they should ban eople using cellphones while driving.It's just going to make more and more crashes!!!!

September 3, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  169. Keyshawn

I don't know what any person would be doing texting while driving, but the truth is people do. I think they should ban texting while driving because the death toll on the roads is high enough without the added danger of texting. I don't care what anyone says, you cannot read and concentrait on the road at the same time.

September 3, 2009 at 6:54 pm |
  170. connor

I think the texting whie driving ban is the best rule i've ever heard of. texting while driving is dangerous. Needless to say also dumb

September 3, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  171. Courtney :)

Texting while driving should be banned because it is very dangerous. Hundreds of people die every year in vehicular accidents because the driver was texting. The only problem with this ban would be enforcing it!

September 3, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  172. shannon

i think this law would make it saffer for people to drive. i dont think it's fair that people put other drivers in danger. no text message is so important that it can't wait until the driver makes a stop.

September 3, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  173. Hannah

I think that texting should be banned because I walk home almost everyday and when crossing the street what if somone isn't looking they are texting.I could be hit by a car.

September 3, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  174. will

My sister and brother do it an it honestly makes me nervous. I think it should be banned in the U.S.A.

September 3, 2009 at 7:53 pm |
  175. A.J.

I think that texting wile driving is very dangersous not only for the texter but also for the other person who was hit i think that if driving drunk is aginst the law then why isnt texting.

September 3, 2009 at 7:54 pm |
  176. Madeline

Texting while driving should be illegal in every state. The public service announcement really opened my eyes to what could happen if you were texting while driving.

September 3, 2009 at 8:18 pm |
  177. simran

SUPER more dangerous than just talking on your cell, this literally takes nearly all attention off the road! look at the accidents cnn itself showed on its video. the law should be enforced in all the states of banning texting while driving because lives are more important than messages.

September 3, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  178. Jeffro

I think that texting while driving should be banned,the resultsof accidents really convinced me!

September 3, 2009 at 9:28 pm |
  179. M.C.

after I've seen that video I'm scared to get on the road with all the people still texting.

September 4, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  180. Mackie

I do not think that texting while driving should be banned, on the other hand i think there SHOULD be an age, of 18 or 21

September 4, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  181. Tristan

i think they should because it is not safe and if they get in a accident then it could be hamful to chlidren i think they gust dont need to and foucus on driving

September 4, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  182. Wesley

If texting while driving is more dangerous than driving drunk which is illeagal, then there needs to be a law against it.

September 4, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  183. london

I do not think that they should have a law aginst texting while driveing but the people that text while driveing it will be nobody fult except theres. so what i am basicly saying is that they should text while driveing at there own risk.

September 4, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  184. Hannah

I dont think that they should allow texting while driving. it is the stupidest thing that i have ever heard. a lot of people die every year from car accidents due to texting.

September 4, 2009 at 8:00 pm |
  185. Nicole

I absolutely and without a doubt support the idea that the U.S. should ban texting while driving. It's a complete safety hazard. People dont need to do studies to know that. Anyone with half a brain can see that texting while driving increases your chances of having an accident. Why? Obviously because your not giving the road and the other drivers your full attention. Any smart human being wouldn't text while driving but for the idiots out there, I think this law would would put a stop to them. Simple " you want to be an idiot, fine, but you're going to be an idiot with a ticket and a fine to pay'" and thats if you're lucky enough that the law gets to you before another car does... Anyways, at least if this law is passed, it will influence a few people to do the right thing and paw attention to your driving rather than text. Be smart people, texting can wait, your life is on the line. And for those of you that for some reason that escapes me you dont like the idea of this law being passed... OH WELL. DEAL WITH IT. They are only trying to protect innocent lives.

September 4, 2009 at 8:21 pm |
  186. lexie

I definatly think that texting while driving should be banned as soon as possible because if you drive while texting you could get in in a seriously bad car crash and you would make other people pay the price for your mistake also it is more dangerous than drunk driving. So STOP texting right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 4, 2009 at 9:29 pm |
  187. Shannon

I think it's a great idea. I saw a video on texting and driving, and these teenage girls were in a terrible car crash...It showed everything. In the end the one that was texting lived while her friends were lying lifeless before her..all can happen in a moment. It can change someone's life, so they should ban it for the safety of drivers.

September 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  188. Brandi

texting while driving should be banned. the road would be a little safer and people won't be dying as often. texting can disract the driver and they crash to another car and BANG a crash happened from texting while driving. It is just to dangerous to not ban it.

September 4, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  189. Breanna

I think they should band it cuz i see many news reports on car crashes because some1 was texting. But they should keep texting but if the people r dumb enough 2 text while driven its there stupidity.

September 4, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  190. Grant

I eefinatally think that texting should be outlawed while driving because you need to concentrate on the road not on your frends and if you get so engaged in texting you sill soon forget that you are in your car and driving with possibly kids or someone else in the car. Imagine if you were taking your kids to soccer pratice and you got in a crash and your kids died, wouldent that be horrible? I think it would be.

September 4, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  191. Kaloof

many states should ban texting.

September 5, 2009 at 1:11 am |
  192. Kyndal and Kit

We think that all states should band texting while driving because it kills many lives and causes danger for others in the car.

September 5, 2009 at 1:16 am |
  193. Abigail

Texting while driving is dangerous and the driver has to take their eyes off the road while texting, so I say that texting should be banned, seeing that texting increases the risk of crashing.

September 5, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  194. Shelby

Texting while driving is a bad idea!!! What if you did get in a bad crash because of TEXTING!!!!!? Kind of stupid don't you think!!!!!!?

September 5, 2009 at 9:37 am |
  195. zachary

sure, I think the government should ban texting while driving because drivers should keep their eyes on the road. It's like watching TV while driving

September 5, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  196. Sucel

I think texting while driving should be illegal because we all know that just talking on the phone can distract a person and cause an accident, even if they are looking at the road. so it would be more dangorous if the person were looking at their phone and not paying attention to the road. I think that there will be some idiots who will risk getting a ticket but it is better to at least try to prevent accidents while texting by making it illegal.

September 5, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  197. Torrencia

No matter how much I like to text, I think texting while driveling is very dangerous. One minutes you texting next minute your in a accident. Why text when you can talk on the phone with blue tooth in your car. Texting can lead you into dieing because you wanted to text somebody and couldn’t pay enough of attention to the road. If you want to text while driveling you should just ride the bus or a cab. On most phones you have voice texting on your phone; you just say a command and say a name and what you want to text the person and then you say send.

September 5, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  198. Kira

My mom texts all the time and i feel very unsafe. I want them to make it because it would keep people safe.

September 5, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  199. keyonna

I think they should ban people from texting while driving because it could series harmful accidents.It could risk thosands of people lives from that also.

September 5, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  200. jackie

I think they should because it can lead to death and to texing is not a big deal you can answer it later!

September 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  201. yolanda

i think texting while driving should be banned cause there are way too many accidents because of it. Because of texting while driving you could get into a car accident, and possibly die. And most of the time people are texting about dumb things anyways not even cause it's an emergency, and to risk having a car accident i rather it be banned. And maybe you won't have a car accident but you could also run over somebody...

September 6, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  202. Victoria

I think that in an emergency its ok but when u constantly text while driving its dangerous. Talking isnt as bad as texting but u should only do it if you have to.

September 6, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  203. Elisabeth

Please BANN it!!! Why? because my safety and everyone elses is in Big danger! We have the right to be as save as possible! put down the stupid phone and Drive!

September 6, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  204. phil

my sister txts while she drives. SCARY STUFF MAN!

September 7, 2009 at 12:44 am |
  205. Alyssa

I saw the commercial that England made, and it freaked me out! I knew that texting while driving was really dangerous, but now I feel it in my heart. My school teacher told our class that one of the teenager in U.S. was driving with their knees to text messages while driving!!! I don't know what she was thinking, but I recommend not to text messages while we are drving. NO. RECOMMEND is not the right word. U.S. SHOULD BAN TEXTING WHILE DRIVING!!!!!!!

September 7, 2009 at 4:49 am |
  206. Hyo

I think that we might know how texting massage while driving is dangerous. Texting massage, you should stare at the phone and get your one hand to it. More than answering at phone, as phone call just need voice and one hand, text massaging is more dangerous than phone call. It is no use crying over spilt milk. Nobody understand after accident.

September 7, 2009 at 8:00 am |
  207. Catherine

I believe the government should ban texting while driving due to the fact that when you are texting you are not able to pay attention to the road and end up in an atrocious accident. Most teenagers don't realize this because they think that they know what they are doing, but in reality, this can happen to anyone. In fact, people who are paying full attention to the road sometimes get into accidents because some irresponsible teenager was texting and crashed; therefore, i think texting while driving should be illegal, it would prevent many accidents.

September 7, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  208. Katie

People should not text while driving. If you absolutely NEED to, then pull over, and save everyone else on the road from your cell phone.

September 7, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  209. chris

they should ban texting while driving

September 7, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  210. Kyle

I think the Government should completely outlaw text messaging while driving. Texting while driving is incredibly dangerous, it completely distracts young drivers from the road. In a recent study driving while text messaging was found to be more dangerous than drinking and driving or driving under the influence of marijuana. When texting reaction time is decreased by 35% opposed to the 12% when intoxicated by alcohol. By outlawing texting while driving the roads would instantly become a much safer place.

September 7, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  211. Zach

Texting should be banned while you are driving. However, if you should absolutely have to text if you're on the Interstate, State roads or any road, you should be allowed to pull over and finish your text message

September 7, 2009 at 7:48 pm |
  212. Cesar

Texting While Driving Should Be Illegal, Why? You are putting people at risk. It might not happen today but you dont know if tomorrow you text and get in a car accident. Besides a phone is more for talking. Why Can't People Talk In Speaker Phone and pay Attention to The ROAD! It's Easy. ...and legal....

September 7, 2009 at 8:24 pm |
  213. Tricia

This is very controversal, making a law that people would follow seems beneficial because, first drunk driving now this, texting is fun but it is not your whole life, but if we put the law there will be many sorry saps that will break it to find out the newest gossip.

September 7, 2009 at 9:17 pm |
  214. Rachel

Even if it's outlawed, that doesn't equal total stoppage of texting while driving. Look at drinking and driving. As I recall, that is illegal and not much is really improving.

September 8, 2009 at 5:36 am |
  215. Zach

it shoud be banned for the nations safety

September 8, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  216. North

i think this law should be passed. it simply would reduce the rate of crashs that happen, and thus overally make america a safer place to drive.

September 8, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  217. Guilermo

i think that is good idea to watch what is happening in the world in the class in the CNN students news. :=)

September 8, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  218. shelby

i dont think texting should be band because you you have someone up front with you just have them text for you so thats what i think!

September 8, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  219. Kalyn

I thunk texting while driving should be outlawed because people get killed every day because of it. Yes i support this entirely

September 8, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  220. Jordyn

Texting is, of course, the newest fad in the U.S, but I think its important that people know where to text. At the wheel is just not the place to do it. You are putting you, and others in danger. I say we should make no-texting a law for sure!

September 8, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  221. Justin

I think that texting should be discouraged but not banned its being blown out of proportions all those crazy videos that are trying to scare u! But its peoples freedom and choice to text. Plus if it is banned people will ignore
    it. You would have to bend cell phones in general. Distractions are what cause accidents and there are other factors that cause a greater number of crashes. Only around 50% text while driving so half don't. Also phones are our private property and we a bunch of fees to the government for them and so they shouldn't take it away. But i will admit i don't text while driving!

September 8, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  222. Nicolas

I think texting while driving should be illegal. Why do i think this? because research shows that texting while driving makes you more likely to crash than if you were drunk. Besides you really don't need to be texting your friend while driving anyway.

September 8, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  223. heather

i think it would make the road safer for us and everyone else. just cuz wat if they were pay att. to their phone and not lookin at the road they could hit someone or fun into someone

September 8, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  224. Juliette

i think texting while driveing should be banned. not only for endangering yourself but endangering others too. there are many ways to text and drive but that doesnt matter your stilll being distracted. both hands on the wheel, eyes straight forward, and no distractions ;is the first things they tell you when learning how to drive. my sister drives with her knee so she can text and she knew how to control the wheel perfectly, but the problem was that her eyes were on the phone not the road, and that caused her to crash in mail boxes and trash cans. that could of easily been a person or a car. she learned her lesson but others havent, so before learning the hard way they should ban texting while driving.

September 8, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  225. Jonatan/Amaria

Texting While Driving. I am a person that can say that this is so distracting and the time of driving. I have droven a car and texted at the same time and its just seconds but you can crash. Also done it in a motercycle that one is even more dangerous when u text u always have to look down and dont tell me you can do it with out looking down because i know that u have to look down. We should really fine texting while driving so we lear that is wrong because i know i may get a ticket like that and that will make me learn to not do it again. I agree with tickets when u text and drive.

September 8, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  226. Melissa

I think a law on banning texting while driving would be a good idea because it would prevent teens from getting into phone realated accidents. It is silly for teens to be against it, why would they want to text and drive at the same time? Isn't it kind of complicated anyway?

September 8, 2009 at 9:05 pm |
  227. Erika

I think it should be a law not to text while driving because it could cause a acddient and it can be a life or death sittuation and it's not that importing to have to text someone back because you have to be at a party so i think it should be a law but it is rudiculas so make it a law thats all i have to say

September 8, 2009 at 9:16 pm |
  228. Dane

Definitly to DANGEROUS to be doing while driving who knows what would happen with all the crazy drivers already.

September 8, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  229. Natalia.

I think that texting while driving should be illegal. People have enough distractions on the road as it is. It's very stupid & dangerous for anybody to text while driving. Theres a time & place for everything, but it's not on the road. If its an emergency, then you should just call the person. But on the other hand, if texting while driving is made illegal, it would be a really hard law to enforce. I'm not really sure how that law would be enforced at all. But i still think it should be illegal.

September 8, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  230. :s ?me???

This is my opnion about driving and texting,i think that they should leave the law because if somebody was texting and doesnt look at the road and crash it will be real bad because you ill like get hurt just for texting while you haded to be driving and looking at the road and youjust could text after driving so you ont crah or have a accendent ,so i think its ok with that so nobody will get hurt.maybe some people dont agree with me but i just dont want people to get hurt for texting while driving.

:Dthanks you,my opinion 🙂

September 9, 2009 at 12:35 am |
  231. tatyana

yes because if you think about most people love to text and text while driving because it is one good way to connect to people but most of them are not careful but all i know is that i love to text but i doint drive yet but in the same way it can also distract the person your driving ,even elderly people are texting because of us young people so i think yes ban it ,it should be mandatory after you saw the little clip of the high risk

September 9, 2009 at 6:37 am |
  232. Jenna

I think its the best idea. Even though we can communicate easier through text, it is just not worth the price of injuries or possibly even death.

September 9, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  233. cameron

it doesn't bother me

September 9, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  234. Ben

I think that texting while driveing should be illegall because you have to look at the screen to see what you texted and that could be dangerous while driving.

September 9, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  235. Michelle2

The ban on texting while driving is a great thing. It would make the road a lot more safer because there would be fewer accidents. Texting while driving is dangerous because you may look down for one second and the moment you look up, Blam! You have a head on collision with someone of something. A incident happened right down the street from my house when a lady was texting while driving didn’t see the little boy go into the street to get a football and hit him. So the ban on text while driving would be a good thing it would make the roads safer.

September 9, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  236. Jestanie

i think the government should definitely not allow people to be able to text or be on the phone while driving, because there are too many people dying from it! It's dangerous so people shouldn't do it

September 9, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  237. Elizabeth

I think texting while driving SHOULD be banned, because so many people get killed or wounded in car accidents because of this. Even little kids who accidentally crossed the street at the wrong time get hit because a careless driver texts "Hi" to their friend!

September 9, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  238. Caitlin

Yes there should be a ban on texting because there are to many recks in the world right now so either pull over or get a ticket for it right now in some states.

September 9, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  239. Addy

My mom still text's while she is driving, and my dad does too. But think, they have been driving for a LONG time (trust me!) and I think that it would be okay if anyone older than nineteen or twenty could text while driving. It doesn't mean everytime you'll crash and half kill yourself, I'm also saying that we all need to be more careful.

September 9, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  240. sadie

Let me ask you a question do we want amercians to die ,do we want to use up money?NO we want to keep amercians alive and we don't want to waste money on hospital bills or funerals!!So I obviously you can tell I want Not Texting while Driving should be a law!!!

September 9, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  241. Aryka (Erica)

I don't think that we should drive while we're texting because if we can't drink and drive and texting crash chances are higher then we shouldn't text and drive

September 9, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  242. Joshua

I think it should be a law because if your texting you have 8x as much of a chance of being in a car crash if you weren't. And if you think that's amazing, if you drink and drive you have a 4x as much chance of being in a car crash than if you weren't. THINK ABOUT IT. Safe driving = no crash, drunk driving = crash, and text-driving = even BIGGER crash! Do you want to be in a car crash because the driver's texting? I don't think so! Make the law so we don't get hurt!

September 9, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  243. MIP

i think a law to ban texting while driving would be a smart idea because it
    can get you a ticket or in a accident. If you get into a accident by texting while driving you will not only risk your life but you will risk somebody elses life. I think that even if there was a law that texting while driving was illegal people who are addicted to texting are going to text risk a ticket and their lives.

September 9, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  244. Saralynn

No, I think that no one should be allowed to text and drive. It's simply just not safe, and basically another way for people to hurt themselves. Just like the video of texting and driving I saw on youtube, I never want to even look at my phone while I drive anymore. :/

September 9, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  245. Eric

I think texting while driving should be banned!!
    We must not play a trick on human's life.
    It's simply just not safe, and bad.
    Because It's the way to hurt another person's life in no reason.

September 10, 2009 at 6:42 am |
  246. Caroline

I think they should not ban texting while driving because if there is an emergency, it might be hard to get off of the side of the road to text & to talk.

September 10, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  247. Jessica

Well look at the news... how many reported accidents have their been? For txting and for talking on cell phones! I was in the car with my mom and this guy was talking on his cell phone and talking with his hands! HOW DANGEROUS IS THAT!!! You can't make all people stop, but make it a law and most people will.

September 10, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  248. angelagh

I think that texting and driving is a very bad idea because even though you have two hands, you can only look at one place at a time. So if you are texting, you cannot look at the road. You can get into an accident and hurt or kill someone or yourself

September 10, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  249. Kimberly

I think they should band texting while driving because you can end up in a lot of trouble and in the hospital.

September 10, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  250. Emma

i think texting while driving should be illegal through out the whole country. It cant just put the drivers life at risk but it could put many other lives at risk

September 10, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  251. George.

for texting and driving the cops should put a camera on every street so the cops could see who texts and drives

September 10, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  252. hannah

i think they should ban texting while driving because it's dangereous and you are risking your life and maybe someone elses!

September 10, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  253. michael

I really think they should band texting while driving because people can kill themselves and other people by doing it or get there license taken away.

September 10, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  254. phillip

I think texting while driving should be banned because you might not be the only one in the car and texting while driving will put yours and that person's life that is in the car with you life in danger. Also if you get in a accident you could have killed people in the other car because you was texting.

September 10, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  255. Jestanie

If people who text are 8x more likely to get in a crash while driving then it should'nt be allowed . People who drink and drive are only 4x likely. So texting while driving is not a good idea. The president should do a speech on that just like he did the one to adress us students to stay in school

September 10, 2009 at 7:48 pm |
  256. Tarique

I Think The governmet should put a ban on texting while driving cause its stupid and unsafe to do in the 1st place and you r only putting yourself and others on the road at risk. When you text while you drive you chance of crashing when not texting (0 percent) just went up to (99.99 percent) So thats why i think there should be a ban on texting while driving

September 10, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  257. Hannah

I think that a law against texting and driving would be a good thing. I am a person who likes to text but while your are driving is just dangerous. I think that if there was a law not all people would stop but some would and thats a start.

September 11, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  258. Leah

I think that there should be a nationwide ban on texting while driving. It's dangerous, not only for the one driving, but also for others on the road. I do, however, think that many would risk a ticket, or an accident by doing it anyway, but if there was a ban, I feel it could greatly reduce the number of texters on the road. I also think that if there is a ban on texting, then there should be a ban on talking on your cell phone while driving, because it involves the same risks of distraction while driving. Just pull over to the side of the road, or wait till you get where you need to be.

September 11, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  259. Dulce

i think that by making texting illegal people will still do it.... they do it already knowing they can cause or be part of an accident. By making it illegal it'll make roads safe , but people will risk it too if they risk drunk driving i think they'll do texting too

September 11, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  260. Anthony

Texting while driving is thrusting danger in your and other people's face. Driving is a privilege and people shouldn't feel the need to abuse it by texting while all your attention should be on the road and traffic. Why risk your life to text a friend? If you feel the need to text, why not just pull over for a brief moment?

September 11, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  261. Ariana

I think texting while driving should be illegal because the people who are texting or doing anything else on their phones or computers are more likely to get in an accident. Overall, people who text while driving are not only putting their live at risk, but other people's too. It should become a nationwide law to not text while driving

September 11, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  262. Taylor

I think texting while driving is very dangerous! There should be a law stating that you can't text, talk on the phone while your driving. If there is a passenger in the car they should be the one talking on the phone or texting if it is something important. If it isn't something important then they should not be doing it either. No matter what happens something dangerous can happen to all of the people that are in the car with the one person that is driving and is texting while driving.

September 11, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  263. Melanie

I think that texting should be outlawed. So many people now are being in car crashes that the roads are not safe anymore. I knew some people that were in car accidents caused by texting, including one of my brothers, his car was flipped and nothing serious happened but what wouldve happened if it was worse? So, yes texting should be outlawed in all the United States

September 11, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  264. Brittney

I think it should be a law because people are going to pay more attention to their text then on the road. The driver should be more focused on the road then on who they are texting and what they are texting. You are risking your life and the lives of others when you are texting and driving. i mean i love to text but i wouldn't do it while i am driving because i know it is not safe to do. I have wanted to text while driving but i turned my phone on silent and went on my way.

September 11, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  265. kayla

to be honest i think kids and adults should be able to text and drive at the same time. its not hurting anybody. people should be able to text one of there friends " hey I'm on my way to your house now" instead of being distracted by actually talking on the phone. texting is more safer than actually talking because when you talk you get distracted and your mind doesn't consentrate on the road as if you were to text you could stop at a stop light and simply text out a word or two and not hurt anybody. this is just my opinion.

September 11, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  266. Brody

Yes, I do believe that they should make texting while driving illegal. There has been many accidents involving people that were texting while they were driving. When you text while your driving it takes your focus off the road and becomes a distraction so that you don't see the vehicle in front of them and then they hit them. If they make it a law it will make people focus more on driving and not when there next text is coming in. Would you rather wait to text or take a person's life just because you had to reply back to a text message.

September 11, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  267. Lindsey

I think that there should be a law put on texting while driving. Talking on cell phones while driving causes enough damage and I think texting as you drive is dangerous. Obviously if you are texting you aren't looking at the road one hundred percent.

September 11, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  268. Chelsea

I believe that texting while driving Should be banned because it is very dangerous, not just for the driver but everyone else thats on the road or walking on the streets. A driver could be texting and there could be a stop sign and they could rear end somebody , or a driver could hit a kid crossing the street. People who text and drive aren't paying attention to the road and they need to pay attention.

September 11, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  269. Cody

I think that it should be banned. There are so many dangers out there on the road and if you are not paying any attention on the road you are a hazard to everyone out there.

September 11, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  270. Br!anna

I've witnessed so many accidents that had to do with texting and driving. There is also a video that i was sent a link to, made in Britain, and very realistic about teens texting and driving. Two of the teens in the back weren't buckled, the driver had died, and the passenger next to the driver's side was the only survivor. Then two other cars ran into the teens' vehicle. It was very graphic, and very shocking to watch. It gave me two different perspectives on texting as well as wearing a seatbelt.
    Texting, or rather using the phone in general while driving, is something that i feel was always "frowned upon". Perhaps the government should rule out the cellular device all together while controlling a massive machine on the road.

September 11, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  271. Jordan

Well I think that texting and driving should be illegal. Driving by itself is dangerous. When learning to drive you are taught of all the things that can happen while you are out on the road. And texting can sometimes get complicated. Texting and driving together could be a deadly combination. Due to the fact that when driving you always have to be paying attention to the road so to avoid dangerous situations and when texting you have to keep your eyes on the phone as to see what you want to say and to type it in. So if your texting while driving there is no possible way you are paying attention to the road which in turn is a bad thing for you and could be life ending for someone else.

September 11, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  272. Nicki

I think that texting is very dangerous when driving, only because all of your attention is off the road and focused on itty bitty buttons, letters, and the conversation you're texting. I've always said, "texting and driving is just like drinking and driving", and since drinking and driving is illegal texting and driving should be so as well. Texting is a pretty lame excuse when you get into an accident, and possibly injure yourself or another person.

September 11, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  273. soledad

I think that really not a good thing to do because there are many car carashes that happened by people who text . So it's really unfare to the people that drive responsibly

September 11, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  274. mark

I think they should make a law that strictly prohibits the use of cell phones while driving. I think this because too many people are causing the deaths of lots of people all over the world, and are getting away with it. So, if anyone uses the cell phone while driving, they should be ticketed right there on the spot. That way no one would die or would be at risk because of someone else's stupid mistakes.

September 11, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  275. ofelio

I think that texting while driving should be illegal. Somebody could be killed or seriously injured.

September 11, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  276. ben

I think there should be a law because driving a 2 ton machine is seriouse bussiness and you could kill yourself or somebody

September 12, 2009 at 8:12 am |