August 20th, 2009

Your Opinion: Lockerbie Bomber Released

December 21, 1988:  A bomb explodes on Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, killing 270 people.

January 31, 2001:  Abdelbeset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi is convicted of murdering 270 people and given a life sentence in Scotland.

August 20, 2009:  Scottish officials release al Megrahi from prison on "compassionate grounds" because he has terminal cancer and isn't expected to live much longer.  Al Megrahi returns to his home in Libya.

There was a lot of anger over this story on Thursday, when relatives of the bombing victims said justice definitely wasn't served.  But there were some people who agreed with al Megrahi's release, saying compassion was appropriate.  Please let us know what you think by leaving your comment below.

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: News Coverage
  1. Courtney

I think that Megrahi defintanly should have been held in Scotland. He did the crime there and there he should be kept. Personally if i were to be "Compassionate" like these officials say they are I would have put him in a medical office where he could get the treatment that he needs but still is serving his life sentence.

August 20, 2009 at 7:59 pm |
  2. Hunter

Well, he doesn't have much time left in the world, but I say it is good he was released. He get's to see family before he goes, and I do say justice was served.

August 20, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  3. Kyle

What Megrahi did was completely unforgivable. He should have never been let out no matter how sick he is, a life sentence is a life sentence. Not we feel sorry for you we are letting you out.

August 20, 2009 at 8:42 pm |
  4. Kallie

What Megrshi did was horrible. He took hundreds of lives. He should not have been let out because he has cancer. They should not feel sorry for him.

August 20, 2009 at 9:17 pm |
  5. Brooke

Megrahi should not have been let out. What he did was take hundreds of lives! I say put him back in jail.

August 20, 2009 at 9:19 pm |
  6. Hayden

Megrahi should not have been let go. His sentance was to life and it should stay that way. Megrahi killed 270 innocent people, and one guilty person gets to go? To me that's not fair, and it's cruel to the people's families that died on that plane. He should be put back in jail.

August 20, 2009 at 9:20 pm |
  7. Stephanie

That is stupid. He needs to stay locked up... So if every murdurer got terminal cancer in prison then where let out because of 'compassion' we would all be dead. Thanks Scottland.

August 20, 2009 at 9:54 pm |
  8. Mooncharm

If Megrahi was given a life sentence, he should die in prison. Other criminals die is prison, why should he go home free? it's totally unfair. After what he did to the families of the victims, why should he be allowed home? It's stupid!

August 20, 2009 at 9:55 pm |
  9. Brook

I dont think this is cool. Even though he is very sick...does not mean he can just be let go. Mabey in those last three months he will want to do another terist attack. He did something unforgiveavle. He should have never let out.

August 21, 2009 at 1:13 am |
  10. Lak

When it comes to his misdeed, I'm sure that he has nothing to defend what he did. I think it's not a bad idea now that he is supposed to be dead in real soon whether he is in prison or not. He was already deprived all his rest life from the time when he did it.

August 21, 2009 at 1:50 am |
  11. Sarah

I do not understand what is going through their minds? Lets ask the members of the families that lost their loved one's in the plane bombing. He should live his last three months in prision where MURDERS belong! Why should he get to die with compassion? Those 260 people had to be blown up thanks to him!

August 21, 2009 at 4:07 am |
  12. Mattie

I agree with the officials and think that letting Megrahi out was the right thing to to because he doesn't have much longer to live

August 21, 2009 at 8:53 am |
  13. Jamison

I think that the officials should execute Megrahi as soon as possible. Even if he is in the hospital for the last 3 months of his life, he might be able to spread his knowledge of how to kill 270 people to some disgruntled nurse. Is that what we want to happen?

August 21, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  14. Chase

He should be left in prison do die. Those innocent people who he killed for his political reasons were not shown mercy or compassion.

He needs to die in prison. We came back to his family and his home country to cheering crowds. Those on that flight are still dead.

August 21, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  15. Preston

I dont think he should be released even if he has 3 months to live. He still comiited a crime and killed 270 people.

August 21, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  16. Brandon

I think that guy shouldn’t of been let out, I mean come on compassion for a guy who bombed a plane killing every one in that plane that was evil the devils spawn evil who cares if he has cancer it’s a LIFE SCENTENCE enfaces on life.

August 21, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  17. PLHS

In future similar cases, what message does this send about the world's view on court systems?

August 21, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  18. Dominic

They should not let him out just because he has a sickness an most people who are in jail that are sick are not released so why him? He is not special he killed people, they did not let Tookie Williams out.

August 21, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  19. Cody

Why should they let a prinsoner lose when he killed that many people. It is not right to kill that many people he should not get special privaliages just because he has terminal cancer. LET HIM DIE in JAIL

August 21, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  20. Kilby

I think he should give him one request before he dies but he should not be able to get out.

August 21, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  21. Ben

He should be put back in jail.

August 21, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  22. Cristina

I honestly believe that all individuals will have their day but to kill one for the crimes of others is not a proper way of living. I honestly believe that if he does go out he might recruit more terrorist and have them continue what he started years ago.

August 21, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  23. Alba Middle School

NO!! He should be detained until his death - the passengers on the plane did not have a choice, why should he??

August 21, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  24. Ian

What on earth possessed Scotland to release him? Does no one think a negative consequence will come out of releasing a convicted mass murderer who only has a few months left to live?

August 21, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  25. Mr. Bingham's 8th Grade Class

Our class has an opinion on the Lockerbie Bomber case. We thought it through and some of the class still think that Lockerbie deserves to be let out because of his medical condition. But the majority of the class agree that Lockerbie doesn't deserve to be treated so well. We think it's unfair to the 280 victims' family and friends to know that he gets special treatment. "Life in prison" means life in prison.

August 21, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  26. Jerynn & Maggie

Eight years in prison isn't a life sentence, what makes this person so special that he gets out early? A medical condition isn't an excuse for killing 280 people. Lockerbie is being treated to well for what he deserves, which is little to nothing.

August 21, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  27. East Mesa Detention Facility (Foxtrot)

One student feels that it is fair because it is kind of saddening that he was going to die in there from disease. he should at least see the outside before he dies. We also felt that it was okay to show some compassion to g guy that is going to die anyway.

August 21, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  28. Ms Brawley's Class

We disagree with his release. We feel that because he killed over 200 that he should rot in jail for life no matter what. We don't care that he has cancer. Even with cancer he is a danger to society.

August 21, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  29. Jenna

I can see why they decided this, but we don't know how much damage he can do in 3 months. They better watch over him with both eyes.

August 21, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  30. Beth

Megrahi did not show any compassion toward the people he murdered. I understand from the Media he was greeted as a returning hero by his country. Fantics like Megrahi are willing destroy other peoples lives but then they want to be treated with compassion. He should have been kept in jail to die like the inhuman murderer that he is!

August 21, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  31. Jordan

I think that it is not a smart idea that they did that because who knows if he was lying or not and what if he planed another attack.

August 21, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  32. marcus

no he will be up to no good again

August 21, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  33. Lulu

My great-aunt was killed in the plane crash. It was a tragic death for my family and I. I was very upset, and the that the convict should stay in jail. He should have a trajic death, just like the ones he caused. This release is not fair. He made a horrible mistake and he should face the consequences.

August 21, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  34. Taylor

I understand why they let him go. Sure he put a bomb in a place but that was in 1988. He served enough time and he is going to be gone in 3 months. The most he can do is lay down in a bed and hope everything will be alright.

August 21, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  35. Lulu

My great aunt was killed in the plane crash. It was a horrible experience for my family and I. I was and still am very upset. The terrorist that caused the death of 200+ people shall face the consequenes. He made a mistake and needs to pay his time.

August 21, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  36. Caroline

I think that he shoul be kept in jail. I now how hard it is to face cancer and how sorry some people might feel (my aunt has cancer). Even though it is tremendusly hard to get around, peole should still have to pay a price for their actions. If we let people get away with murder now, what do you think the world will come to in 20 years?

August 21, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  37. Brooke

I think this terrorist made a huge crime and he has to pay for it. He can't get away with killing over 200 people. Cancer is tough and he might need some sympothy but lettimg him run away from this horrible crime is just too much. I think he should stay in jail for the saftey of himself and others.

August 21, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  38. lily

i think he should have been let out.

August 21, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  39. Sophie

I think he has a right to be let out. Cancer is tough and with only 3 months to live you shouldn't do it while in jail. I just think the police should check in on him every now and then.

August 21, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  40. Ray

A life sentence is a life sentence. No matter what the law should be upheld. Besides, now he's a national hero in Libya. Should anybody be a hero because they murdered 270 people. I think the Scottish Government needs to rethink their "compassion" policy.

August 21, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  41. Sam

I think that it was right to relase him! Yes, he was put into jail because he was said to have murdered 250+ people. While in jail (or maybe before) he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. CANCER! He is said to have yet 3 months to live. YES, what he did was wrong and was already put into jail. But in my opinion, he should get a chance to live the remainder of his life. I'd bet that they don't let him by himself anyway. Therefore, he probably is with other people such as security guards just in case, so he should get a chance to get out of the cell for the rest of his life!

August 21, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  42. kelly

is one mans life worth 250 +

August 21, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  43. Gabriela

I don't agree with the officials.I don't think they should have let him out of prison because he may spread the sickness to other people and they may die.

August 21, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  44. Sergio

I am glad that they released him so that he can see all the people he knew.

August 21, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  45. andrew

Yes because he should be able to spend his last minute with his family.

August 21, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  46. junior

They should of never let him go because what if he passes the disease to someone else. Who knows how many other lives can be lost!

August 21, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  47. Luana

He definitely couldn't have gotten out. He killed 270 people. I don't care if he is going to die tomorrow, he has to stay in prison. He had no compassion what so ever when he killed all those people why should we have compassion for him now.

August 21, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  48. Ana

I think they should let the old people go cause there , gone a have a sad ending of there life.but they should have a police watching him.

August 21, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  49. Ryan

I think they shouldn't let him out because he had life in prison.So he should finish his summon to life in prison.

August 21, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  50. sonia

I think he should stay in jail for what he did cause the people he murder were innocent and did't have nothing to do with it

August 21, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  51. cheyanne

i personally don't think that lokerbie should be relesed even if he only had three months to live,he sould still fill his life sentence.others may have different opinions but this is mine.

August 21, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  52. andrew

I think that he should still be in prison.He is going to die of cancer but he still should finish his life sentence.

August 21, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  53. Double D

He should not be let free, in my opinion he should have been killed.

August 21, 2009 at 6:52 pm |
  54. alex

how do you feel symphony for someone who killed 270 people

August 21, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  55. Sara

Ok, first I have to ask if his character was at all changed in 8 years. Isn't he still the same old terrorist? Did they consider this desicion carefully? I'd really like to know if any statments have been made about it at all. Did he lie or pretend some change happened to him? Is the diagnoses truthfull? I mean, to let out a terriorist recently convicted of killing 270 people without consideration seems ridiculous.

I'm sure there are many cases of prisoners getting diseases and they are not released; why release someone who killed 270 people!!! He has 3 months to influence his family and friends. COME ON! He got a life sentence, that means for LIFE. No matter what disease he contracts. I don't understand their logic.

August 21, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  56. brian

A murderer is a murderer, and jusst because someone only has a few months to live does not mean they can release him! If he killed 270 people he should have to live up to his consequesces.

August 21, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  57. Maverick

I think they shouldn't of released Megrahi from Scottland because he took hundreds of lives. Even though he has cancer and three months to live, he could still do something bad or even take hundreds of more lives. Also it was't just 270 people that lost their lives, it affected the families and anyone who knew that person dramatically.

August 21, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  58. destiny

I think he shouldn`t get out because what he did is unforgiveable.
    Maybe he just planns to attac again! He should get to jail as soon as possible.

August 21, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  59. Ken

He killed 270 people and that is not a small amount. He might live more than 3 months and who knows what is going inside his head during that three months. Plus, it won't matter where he spends his remaining 3 months because he would be remembered as the same mass murderer.

August 21, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  60. Joe

I think that he should spemd a little time with his family, even though he killed lots of people. He might have changed to a good person and it would be fair to let him spend his parting months with his family.

August 21, 2009 at 8:59 pm |
  61. shane

They shouldnt release him because he killed 270 people.I know the scottish official are trying to show comppasion,but thats to much compassion.Killing 270 people is not the same as doing 8 years in prison.I still think he shouldnt be released he commetted a serious crime.

August 21, 2009 at 9:33 pm |
  62. landon

Hey Carl!!! I just want to say that that does no good to people in the world!!!!

P.s. Your puns are very punny!!!! 🙂

August 21, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  63. So-jung

He should be back in jail. He has to regret his crime. The victims' families would be furious with anger when they heard the news. Why do we have to give him a compassion?

August 21, 2009 at 9:47 pm |
  64. Hunter

What I said didn't come out right. Yes, he should of been let out to see family, but only a short period of time. Disease or no disease. It's not an excuse. Even though I said that, I still don't agree on his release. Please disregard my last comment.

August 21, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  65. Jace

I think they should put him out of his misery and shoot him

August 21, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  66. Elaine

Cancer is a serious thing, but they can't just let go the murderer of 270 people.

August 21, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  67. kendall

i think that they should have kept him in jail no matter how bad the disease. they should never release a terorist!

August 21, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  68. Joe

He should be in jail beause killing one person is very bad. He killed 270 people! He should no be free. He should not be free just because he has a sickness.

August 22, 2009 at 2:48 am |
  69. Miranda

I think he should stay in jail. All the 270 families who lost their loved ones should see him stay in jail just because he's got cancerdoesn't mean he shouldn't stay in jail, he was sentenced life in prison he was going to die in prison eventuallyso why not stay.

August 22, 2009 at 2:55 am |
  70. lilyan

I think it a horrible idea. Whose to say hes not gonna strap a bomb to his bck and go into a school in kill them cause hes gonna die anyway! He should die in prison like all those innicent people died in the air Thats 3 whole months to plan and kill more people!!

August 22, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  71. Cassidy

i think that since he is sick they should let him go because he has terminal cancer so i don't think he will being doing much because of his illness.

August 22, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  72. Paloma

Al Megrahi should not been allowed to live the rest of his life because he himself kept 270 people from living the rest of their lives which isn't fair at all, in my point of view. He shouldn't have been released because he deserved to be punished after dropping a bomb on December 21, 1988.

August 22, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  73. Jessi

NO, gest because he was diagnose with cancer he killed 270 innocent people that had lives, familys, and friends.

August 22, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  74. Shay

How is that a guy who has killed over 100 people gets a a compassionate death? I not too sure on the details but it just does not sound right at all.

August 23, 2009 at 3:39 am |
  75. Tomomi

It's ridiculous! For only 3 months to live?
    Well, how about victims? They were gotten rid on their lives, rights to live by him. He should stay behind bars and penitent for the crime.

August 23, 2009 at 4:07 am |
  76. Brandi

This is ridiculous. Are we also going to release Charles Manson too? I mean he ONLY killed a couple of people. This man should have been put to death just like he placed those people on the flight to death. NO MERCY!!!!

August 23, 2009 at 7:57 am |
  77. Anonymous

This is the wort decision ever been made on th face of this planet. I'm scottish and he should of been kept in prison in pain thinking of the awful crime he comited. No one who died ot to say goodbye to their families.

R.I.P you poor people and i am truly gutted for their families...

August 23, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  78. Jenna

cnn student news I think he should stay in scotland no matter what

August 23, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  79. Matt

I think it is a little risky to unleash this criminal but I think the Scottish government carefully weighed the pros and cons and decided with only three monmths to live he was not going to try to take over the world or anything like that.

August 23, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  80. Justin

It is totally unessesary and dangerous to release the Lockerbie Bomber. People who lost their families will be frustrated that the man who killed many people is still walking free for 3 monthes. Also he will try again to do a murder to get famous or just atemp of suicide

August 23, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  81. Miranda

Al Megrahi made a choice. Not only did he make a choice, he made a plan, with plenty of time to change his mind. He did what he did. Now Scottland should do what they said they'd do: give him a life sentence. It doesn't make since, a life sentence means he should be put away for the rest of his life. Just because he is dying should not change his life sentence, the whole point is to say until you die.

August 23, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  82. Christen

I dont think the should have let him go because he did a bad thing and letting him go just because he is sick what is he does it again

August 23, 2009 at 6:54 pm |
  83. Sirena

I think that its bad that they let him out. He killed one two many people a.k.a 270. Whos to say he wont do it again. You know go out with a bang.

August 23, 2009 at 6:57 pm |
  84. Katherine

I do believe that he should be releasd because of his condition and he only has so long to live, but for his crime I think he should stay in prison. If he had try to hurt me or my family then I would not want him to get out of prison. I think this is a tough decision for the judge and for me. I can't make up my mind.

August 23, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  85. Rubyred

Even if he is expected to live not much longer, why wouldn't they just held them in the prison until then? "Compassionate Ground" only sounds like they THINK he's learned his lesson. THINK is different than WE KNOW he's learned.

August 23, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  86. Danny

He's a terrorist. He shouldn't be free just because he has cancer.

August 24, 2009 at 6:57 am |
  87. Jinny

I think he should get a chance of living outside the jail because we know that he will not live for long. I think he should enjoy rest of his life outside the jail. Think about it, what would you want to do if you can live for only 3 month? I know that I would't want to spend that time in jail.

August 24, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  88. brandon

i have mixed opinions about the terrorist realease. i think its was smart in the sense of it will cost less money if he is gone. i also feel that it is a bad thing because he has 3 months to live which is 3 months of planning another atack.

August 24, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  89. Supernova

its not compasion its just they dont want to paly the bill of therepy i mean come on who does. but that doesnt mean he needs to be released

August 24, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  90. anis

al megrahi is a person who displayed actions that hurt inisint people and there families just because he is diagnosed with cancer dosent mean he should get a second chance those people who died didnt get a asecond chance at life so why should he.

August 24, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  91. Seth

I think he should stay locked up because alot of other poeple die in prison and they dont get to be let out

August 24, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  92. John

I personally think he should be locked up in prision. What he did was not fair. Just because he has Cancer doesnt mean that is equal to the ammount of 270 people that died on that plane. If that was you or your parnets or your friends or any of your piers that where on that plane you would want him locked up too.

August 24, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  93. Becky

Hello! My class watches CNN Student News daily, and loves it! 🙂

This guy showed absolutely NO compassion towards these innocent people he murdered, so why on Earth should we show compassion to him?

On the other hand, the Scotland prison did a smart thing, not a good thing. It costs thousands, possibly millions to treat cancer. And, 3 months isn't really enough time to plan an attack that large and purchase a bomb that big. Hopefully, the guy isn't stupid enough to plant another attack.

August 24, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  94. lexi

i think he shouldnt be released just because hes dying he needs to serve his time that he was sentenced.

August 24, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  95. Heather

I can't believe they released him just because he has cancer. Other prisoners probably had a sickness and had less severe crimes... why should he be released?

August 24, 2009 at 8:42 pm |
  96. lola

i think that he should have to stay in prison becouse a life sentence is life sentance no exsepons

August 24, 2009 at 9:48 pm |
  97. Khalin

Well I think that it was wrong for them to let him go because just because he got sick does not mean that he gets let go. If it were some one else that had the same thing he did would they have let him/her go. I think that when he took some elses life away then he should be like any one else and pay his time. He may just be saying that he will be dieing soon so that he can get out, but really he may be living for another 5 years. So if it was up to me I would not have let him go and if he did get hurt then he could have been taken care of inside the prison.

August 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  98. Danielle

I think that he should live the rest of his life sentence in a hospital. If he gets cured, he should be returned to jail.

August 24, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  99. suwon

I think Al Megrahi needs to live outside the jail because he just has 3 months to live maybe few police can watch a bit.
    Though he killed a lot of people, it doesn;t mean he just needs to stuck in the jail for last three months
    he should go outside and maybe help people out.

August 25, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  100. Sasha

Life sentence means life sentence! Other people may die of causes unknown. Just because they know he may die that doesn't mean that they can release him.

August 25, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  101. shelbyy

I believe that a life entence is a life sentence, and should not be expelled because of a terminal illness.

August 25, 2009 at 11:56 am |
  102. william

I don’t think that Ali Mohmed al Megrahi should have ever gotten to see the light of day again. Even if he has terminal cancer. There was no reason 270 people died on that day in December 1988. So now in 2009, there is no reason why he should get out on “compassionate grounds”. Those 270 were shown no compassion.

August 25, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  103. Saad

He should not be free because he is a bad person for killing so many innocent people.

August 25, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  104. chase

No he should not be let out because other people died because of him.

August 25, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  105. Seth

I think the police are stupid to let that crimanal go and rome free. He even has two months to kill any one.

August 25, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  106. zachary

Since he killed 270 people I think he should stay in prison as long as he lives

August 25, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  107. trey

i think that they should let him be released from jail and enjoy life
    for his last three months of life.

August 25, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  108. Brian

So he is going to die anyway so why woulded he go and try something else. should we be worryed? should we be watching him?

August 25, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  109. Miranda

Why should we show compassion to him? He's a bomber! He killed 270 people! He didn't show compassion. He shohuld get some of what he gives.

August 25, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  110. Jamie

this is outrageous, I mean murdering as many people as he did he deservers to suffer just like all the innocent people

August 25, 2009 at 7:41 pm |
  111. Cesar

Although Most People Will Agree That What He Did was Wrong, I believe That it was somewhat fair. Why? He's going to die soon. This will give him the opportunity to ask for forgiveness. We don't know If He's Change. So I believe It was Fair to Release Him On His Lasts Days.

August 26, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  112. sniggi

He should not be released even though he has terminal cancer. he should spend time in jail for killing all those innocent people.

August 26, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  113. abby

I think they should just let him go because of this disease. I know if I was him I would plead them to let me go.If I had cancer I wouldn't want to stay locked up.

August 26, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  114. CJ

Why did they release him if he only had 3 months to live. I mean really come on if he knew he was going to die don't you think he wouldn't go down quite. He would go down with fighting. Well we cant undo what has already happened. It's just sad.....

August 27, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  115. Krystina

I think that they shouldn't have let him go. He bombed a place and many people got hurt and died. If he only had 3 months to live then why didn't he stay in jail, I mean he probably would have had at least 5 years in jail right?? So... Well we can't help all the people who have died but I still think its wrong to let him go. It's too sad...

August 27, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  116. Cassandra

I DO NOT tihnk Maghrai should have been released from prison. While all the familes of the 270 people mourn of their loved one's death he gets to die WITH his family in Libya. The worst part about it is that when he got home he was greeted like a hero! That is 100% wrong and something should have been done to stop him from being released.

August 27, 2009 at 8:57 am |
  117. joshua

i think that letting him go wasnt a bad choice. im sure if you were in his situation you would want the same. im sure his family and friends are thankful

August 27, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  118. Anonymous

I don’t think he should be released just because he has cancer, other people aren’t released before they die, why should he be released?

August 27, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  119. Habibat

I believe that he should not been release out of jail. I mean look at how many people lives he took day by day.

August 27, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  120. JJ

This guy brought a bomb on a plane and set it off while in the air. It killed 270 people. The officials of Scotland decided to release him because he has terminal cancer and will die in three months. I disagree with this so much because he killed 270 people and had a life sentence so he should serve his whole life.

August 27, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  121. torrizzle

soooo, this guy, kills 207 people on purpose, and gets a break cause he's gna die. I'm sure we can all see how much sense this makes. wow.

August 27, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  122. Bree

Megrah should have been held in Scotland because why should he be brought here if he did the crime all the way in Scotland. So why would they bring him here if he did the crime in scotland. personally that makes no since to me.

August 27, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  123. Kara

This man is a terrorist he killed 270 he should not be let out of jail. I think that no matter what is wrong with a person in jail if he has a life sentence he should serve it. This is crazy he could kill more people you never know what people are going to do I think that this is a mistake on Scotland’s part he should not get any compassion.

August 27, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  124. Averryyy!(:

I think they should have let the Lockerbie Bomber out. I mean, c’mon the poor guy has cancer. He doesn’t wanna spend the remaining days of his life locked up in a cell. He needs to be with his family at the point. Yeah, he did a bad bad thing, but nobody should have to deal with cancer while behind bars. That’s just not compassionate at all. It’s been twenty something years since the bombing and he’sgot a tumor. I’m pretty sure he won’t be trying to kill anyone now.

August 27, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  125. Cal

I think it is ridiculous that he gets to go, he killed soo many people! Just because he has cancer does not mean he should get to leave. I am sure other people have had cancer in prison before and they did not get to leave. He is like a moviestar of prisoners or something. Because he is infamous he gets to leave.

August 27, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  126. colin

i think that he should have stayed in jail even though he has cancer because if there was a person that did not have cancer and took down airplane he would have to be in jail for the rest of his life and die there.plus they say that he is going to die anyways so wht not die in jail he did do something bad.

August 27, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  127. zach

he only has two months to live. he has two months to strap a bomb to his chest and blow him self up in a crowded area. he shouldnt have been released from prison. for all we know he will kill 270 more people.

August 27, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  128. Zack

I think that this is crazy. Realeasing a guy that has killed 270 people just because he's sick? I say keep him in there and if he dies then so be it. He's worthless anyways for doing such a thing and there should be no compassion for guy.

August 27, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  129. Brandy

I think Lockerbie should not have been able to go home becaues he had cancer. Lots of people in prieson have cancer but they don't get to go home. Many people who killed as many people as he did would have never got out of jail.

August 27, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  130. kumar

I feel it is not fair to have released the Lockerbie bomber. He had no mercy when he killed hundreds of people and he should be shown no mercy. He received a life sentence and that means LIFE, not life until you get terminal cancer. While some see it as a merciful move to keep a sick man in jail, I feel that it is not fair to all the victims families.

August 27, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  131. Haley

he should not be released he should be in jail for what he did i know some of the people wasnt happy but they had to let him go because he doesnt have long to live.

August 27, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  132. Lana

I think that it was wrong for him to murder all of those people and he should have to suffer the consequences. However, it might be more of an inconvenience to keep him in prison than to just let him go home. It's not really fair because they can't give an exact date that he will die, so he could be released longer than the doctor’s estimation for him to live. I think they should have kept him in jail until his health became so severe that he needed to be released.

August 27, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  133. Liz

Oh sure... let him out. No one cares if there is a potential terrorist on the loose right? He just killed 270 people, not that big of deal. Hey! I got a great idea! maybe we should give him WMDs now! Yea! He won't do any damage...

August 27, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  134. James

I personally belive in the human treatment of all people. Yes what he did was absoutley horrible and evil and wrong, but it is not right to force someone to die behind bars when he only has three months left. He should at least be able to see his last three months. Look at it like this if he justice was not served in this life then it will definietly be served in the next one or the after life.

August 27, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  135. leah

I think that he should not be released because he killed all of those people. He is a very sick man for doing that and he does not deserve to be let out. They should not let him go just because he has cancer. People all over the world get cancer and so he should not be released just because he is one of a lot of people that have cancer.

August 27, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  136. Maritza

Hello everybody,

I could have been one of the victims of that terrible plane crash, but fortunately I took the British Airways flight from London to Houston that same day. I thank God that I was not there, and I think that those people should be punished for what they did. I ask this question, were they being merciful to all those who lost their lives that day?

Maritza

August 27, 2009 at 9:29 pm |
  137. jasmine

why should we have simpathy for some one who dosent care who he killed in the happening of his actions.

August 28, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  138. Nikita

Although cancer is very harsh, but unlike cancer death is not curable. I think that Abdelbeset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi life is not equal or more importent than the 270 lives he took away.

August 28, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  139. Tamra

I honestly think that he shouldn't have special treatment just because he has cancer. A lot of people die in prison, if he didn't care that he killed all those people, why should i care if he dies in prison!

August 28, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  140. nataly

I belive this was an injustice to all the victims of the bombing. I know he had cancer or whatever but I also know for sure that at least 10 out of those 270 people were sick or in a terminating position. It was wrong to let him go and people should be mad about it because what about if he just decides hes going to die any way and he just gets another bomb and kills another set of 270 people more. Either way if they had sooo much compation why didnt they just kill him right then and there to stop his cancerous pain? They shouldnt have shown mercy anyways he showed no mercy for the other people and plus there are also hundreds or even thousands of people in jail or prison that have worst diseases than cancer and they dont get to go home just because they are sick. Matter of fact they are treated worse than the healthy people.

August 29, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  141. mathew

i think that he should have been sent to a low security jail with no security fenses and plants to post a positive enviorment for the rest of his sentence or until the cancer takes toll

August 30, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  142. Alex

This is outrageous. Many people die in jail, why should he be allowed out?

August 31, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  143. Alex

they should have just kept him in jail

August 31, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  144. Morgan

No i do not think he should be relesed becuase what he did was wrong and even if he does have termanal canser a life sentance is a life sentance. It should not matter if he is dying or not because when you are given life jail is where you should spend your last days.

August 31, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  145. Janai

No I don't think he should've been released because of an illness. He might just do more bad before he dies.

August 31, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  146. Patty

It is my opinion that they should not have released him on “compassionate grounds” just because he was dying. That’s not to say that I have to sympathy for human lives. I just personally believe that if he is terminally ill then he will die anyway, be it in prison or sleeping in his bed at home. I think that they should have just kept him in prison, because for all we know he might go out and do what he did before again. He killed 270 people and was given a LIFE SENTENCE I don’t know why they just decided that since he was dying that it was a good idea to let him out.

August 31, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  147. Tripp

I think the Lockerbie bomber should be released; it is the humane thing to do. However, I was reading into his reception back home, and I was shocked to see that he was treated like a celebrity back in his home country. I think, however bad the crimes he has done, he has no more life left to pay for his sentence, and he should be able to converse with his family for the remaining months of his life.

August 31, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  148. Edwin

I would agree with many others and say that justice has not been served like it should be. He committed a crime that does not deserve a “compassionate grounds” at all. What he did was wrong and he can never be forgiven. Now that he has cancer it can be viewed as bad karma for what he has done.

August 31, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  149. Macie

He got a life sentence he should have to serve it. Even if they did release him he should have been put under house arrest. Or maybe he belongs in an insane assylum. A crime is a crime, you know. I mean there's a ton of people who go to jail, and die there. Why should he be any different?

September 1, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  150. Katie

HELLO?? People this guy is danderous. DO NOT release him. For all we know he could go on a killing spree before he dies!!!

September 1, 2009 at 6:50 pm |