May 25th, 2009

$2,500 a TICKET?

That was the price for a single seat at Yankee Stadium's new "Legends" section - and that was for just one, regular-season game!

Now some of those prices have been reduced.  And it's only $14 to snag a seat on the bleachers.  (They aren't in the same league as the Legends seats, but after all, $14 is just a couple bucks more than the movies.)

Still, it all got me thinking about ticket costs.  There isn't a game on the planet that I would pay $2,500 to see - not World Series; not World Cup.  Is there a game that would be worth $2,500 for you?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Stephanie

I would say I would never pay $2,500 for a ticket. I am trying to think of anything that is worth that much, and no nothing. Sorry:)

May 25, 2009 at 8:46 pm |
  2. Hunter

I'd pay the $14 for the bleachers instead of $2,500 for the Ledgends spot. To me, that's crazy, but I'm sure there's some die-hard Baseball fans and Yankee fans willing to pay that price. Hey, if it's something people would go for, do it. Bottom line, it's not for me, but I'm sure someone out there would pay that money.

May 25, 2009 at 9:31 pm |
  3. Erin

I think NO game would be worth $2,500! Who would pay that much to see a game you could whach at home or play for yourself out side? 😀

May 25, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  4. Jeffery

Personally, I used to buy tickets for all of texas ranger's games.But now,my parents are kind of serious with finance so I guess I'll miss the next game.

May 26, 2009 at 9:05 am |
  5. Tiffany

Woah!It's 1month of working part time job just to see those games!

May 26, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  6. rachel

Noooo.Yankees are cool but still it costs too much.

May 26, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  7. Gabriella

Would you carl?would you go for the game even though it costs that much?

May 26, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  8. Adam

$2,500 would be way too much to pay for any sport. Basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, and football are all good sports, but there's no way I'd pay $2,500 just to see a game! If I were the son of Bill Gates, I probably would, but right now I'm saving my money for college. To waste money for a game is just plain silly. People should save their money for more important things like health care, food, electricity, water, and gas for their cars. Do people know what they're doing when they're spending $2,500 on a ticket for sports? Why would you buy a ticket for $2,500 when you could just watch it on television?

May 26, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  9. Dylan

What thats insane.... baseball is America's past-time it shouldn't be that expensive for a good seat... Some games are free sure they aren't MLB but its still a game with good seating..

May 26, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  10. Shawn

if it was me i would do it because i love baseball its like a very good way to make money but maybe if it would go down to 1,500 it would sell more

May 26, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  11. Drew

I would not pay that much for a ticket because I can buy a car that much.

May 26, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  12. Samantha

I think that they shouldn't make the tickets that expensive because that is way to expensive just to go to a baseball game. My dad had to pay only 250 dollars per person. The only I understand about it being that expensive is that the New York Yankees has a new stadium. That's the only thing I understand.

May 26, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  13. Christina

I think the price of one of the tickets you could buy a laptop!

May 26, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  14. Leah

I would never pay $2500 for any game ANYWHERE. Actually, the only thing I'd pay $2500 doesn't exist.... Yeah I'd pay that much to watch Tokyo Mew Mew beat up the Saint Rose Crusaders. : ) Or Deep Blue. It's all good. It would just be cool to watch fictional characters in a tournament.

May 26, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  15. Bethanny

I love baseball as much as the next guy, but a ticket for 2,500 dollars? Not even my baseball fan dad would pay that much.... I'll just watch the game at home. It's cheaper.

May 26, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  16. Jack

why would they sell tickets at those prices, i mean if you look at the economy now no one is able to get that much money if they worked for a month salary. And with $2500 you can buy things to support your family or yourself.

May 26, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  17. Alyssa

2,500? Wow! I agree there would be no game I would go to if it was that much. That's alot of $$$$$!

May 26, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  18. MYAH

NO WAY HOZA

May 26, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  19. Candice

There's NO way I would pay $2,500 a ticket. I would rather use that money for college or something that would 'change' my life.

May 26, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  20. Amanda

I tell you not me but I know just about one person my freind kameron

May 26, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  21. Tommy

I would never pay $2500 to go to any game. Just becasue there in New York they think they can charge you anything. The price for a Yankee game ticket is way overpriced. Compared to other stadiums. I went to an Orioles game and i got amazing seats but then i spent the same amount at a Yankee game and i got decent seats. They rip you off way too much

May 26, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  22. Curlz

I personally think that $2,500 is alot just for the "legends" seats, when you could just pay $14 for a regular seat.Especially during a recession!

May 26, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  23. KaYlA

$2,500 for A ticket that is just crazy!!! Carl could have his own show with that money. it would be called Crazy Puns with Carl Azuz

May 26, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  24. nicole : )

That is just insane ! No baseball game would be that important when I could see it for $ 14 . I mean seriously people who has that kind of money to spend on a baseball game, I would use it on something usefull maybe food ! It's kind of depressing to see all those open seats at a baseball game .

May 26, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  25. kyle

THAT IS REDICULOUS. I MOST CERTAINLY WOULD NOT SPEND $2,500 ON JUST ONE TICKET. THE PRICE SHOULD COME DOWN TO AT LEAST $100 PER TICKET

May 26, 2009 at 9:06 pm |
  26. victor

I would not pay $2,500, they should make the price to at least $500 for the legend seats so people would take the seats.

May 26, 2009 at 9:51 pm |
  27. sara

micheal vick should get the same punishment as a non-famous person would get

OMG!!!!!!! my blog got put in the news !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 26, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  28. Brendan

I think that's dumb because going to a game is for the enjoyment of it and plus, with all this stuff going on nobody will get to sit in those seats because nobody can even afford it!!!!!!!!

May 26, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  29. Lucy

wow, why would crazy people want to pay $2500 for a ticket? I donot know what they are thinking really. there are plenty of cheap tickets we could buy all around the world!!!!!!!!

May 27, 2009 at 6:54 am |
  30. Mr. Whiittakers Civics class

We feel that that the ticket prices are outrages and that they should lower the prices for everybody to enjoy the game.

May 27, 2009 at 7:12 am |
  31. gage

that is just to much to pay for a ticket to anything. i personally love hockey but i ouldn't pay that much.

May 27, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  32. Kaitlyn

That is just crazy. That much for just one ticket. What if some one was to need to go to that game to meet somebody and don't have a ticket. So I think that the price should be lowered to let more people in. Hello do you like a crowd or not.

May 27, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  33. Brittany

It is a lot of fun to go to sports games. But there is no way I would pay that much for just ONE ticket! Even if things were better with the economy, there is no way I would pay that much. It would really be bad if you had to buy more than one ticket.

May 27, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  34. Crystal

I’d pay the $14 for the bleachers instead of $2,500 for the Legends spot. Our economy is not that get right know, and they think they can make a couple bucks just because they are the Yankees. Thats not right!
    I wonder if anyone is even gonna show up to the legend seats?

May 27, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  35. Shelli

I would never never in my life pay 2,500 dollars not even 1,000 dollars to go to a baseball game mabye 150 but 2,500 is outrageous, outrageous i say

May 27, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  36. kelsey

why do the tickets cost so much? that is just crazy! 2500 dollars for 1 seat ticket?! just ONE seat?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! argh

May 27, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  37. Sarah

OMG!!! thats crazy. i would only pay that much if they knocked off the two zero's at the end. but i like the cubs! (sorry yankee fans)!

May 27, 2009 at 9:43 pm |
  38. Marena

I think that $2,500 a ticket is way to much! Especially after not doing so well within the season. The should charge $100 at the most for front row seats!!!

May 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  39. suwon

hi carl azuz!
    you would notice that my name is little weird
    i'm korean
    i'm south korean, not north
    anyway, i think the ticket cost too much, but ialso think that if we par more, the players would get more money and use them to buy things
    like better bat,or ball, stuff like that
    but somehow, insist that the seat nedd to be more cheaper

May 27, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  40. KAtie

$25,000 isn't worth it just to go to a game. I think they should lower the prices since they aren't even really getting filled. I don't know why they would price them that high because are economy is bad right now.

May 28, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  41. Sydney =)

No... There is no game that I would pay $2,500 to go to. When I could most likely watch it on T.V. instead, yeah it would be fun to go to but there is no way I would pay that much to go.

May 28, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  42. Geordan

I don't see why any body would want to buy a ticket that expansive. If you had a lot of money to buy a $2,500 seat for only 1 game go ahead. If it was me I would buy a cheap-o seat and be happy with that.

May 28, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  43. Jacob

I think that $2,500 for a game is just plain money wasting. Just buy the cheaper ticket! You don't need a special seat for watching a game! It's not like you'll get bad seats if you do. And I think all seats that are in a baseball stadium are all the same. Doesn't really matter to me.

May 28, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  44. Summer

*pshhhh* I would never pay tha much money on a seat . Especially to go see a game that i wouldn't want to watch, I'm not that much into baseball. Plus $2,500 can be spent in a such a better way! With the economy a dollar right now is like a diamond ring to some people.

May 28, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  45. Kyler

The price is ridiculous $2500 for a seat, that's way to much money. People aren't going to buy a $2500 seat if they can buy a nose bleed seat for $15. It doesn't make sense, why would you price seats that high?

May 28, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  46. Alexa

I don't think that there is any game, anyplace that I would pay that just for one ticket, to go see. I would rather see it in the comfort of my home, instead of paying that much, for one single ticket, just to see a game. I say no way, to that I think that is just crazy. I don't really know that many people that has that kind of money to just see one game. I would rather pay for a bleacher seat, and still get to see the game than pay that much for a "legends" seat.

May 28, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  47. Marissa

I think that there is a game that is worth that much to go see. There is a lot of more things that I could do with that amount of money. I really don't like watching sports unless it's a family member playing. You have to be crazy to spend that much money on a ticket for ONE seat at a game.

May 28, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  48. Wyatt

That is so stupid that they are making seats worth 2,500 dollars that's just dumb why would you do that nobody is going to pay that much for a seat like that maybe of it was like 150 or 200 maybe someone would consider it but 2,500 is just pointless

May 28, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  49. Kelsey

There is no ticket that I would pay $2,500 for. I don 't know anyone that would ever pay that much for any ticket. No game is worth that much money. There is a lot more important things that I could by for $2,500 for. I know I would never even come close to paying that much money for a ticket to a game.

May 28, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  50. Natalie

Hi, i would never use 2500 dollars to buy a ticket at any game. You could buy a used car for that much! You should never use that much money for a one time thing!

May 28, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  51. Allison

Okay, tell me if I am being silly, but in the recession we are in, why would somebody be so wasteful to pay $2,500 for a seat ticket? You could go on a plane trip to a nice beach for less than that. You could even pay off some of that debt that has been a burden for the past few months. If you are rich, that is still a little insane. Donate to charity if you are having that much trouble finding someway to spend your money. While you are sitting in your "fancy pants" seat, other people could just as easily be sitting on the couch eating potato chips and Twinkies while drinking Pepsi with their friends for a tiny fee.

May 28, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  52. dante

at $2,500 a ticket they are never going to get some one to sit there,

May 28, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  53. Noah

NEVER! In a million years would I pay that much for a baseball seat when I could just watch it on TV.

May 28, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  54. Rachel

I think it is worth the extra cash. The new field is amazing and they are an awesome team. I stayed in one of their luxery boxes and it was totally worth the extra cash. You have a great view of the field and they have great accomodations.

May 28, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  55. Colton

We are going through an economic crisis and this is ridiculous. There is no need to spend $2,500 on a ticket. The new prices of tickets are $14 and that seems much more reasonable. I would rather stay at home and watch a Yankee game on my television than waste that much that I could put towards more important necesities. During this time with the bad economy no one will pay a price of $2,500 for a single ticket when they could just stay at home.

May 29, 2009 at 6:57 am |
  56. daniel

I think it is not a good idea because less people are going to watch the Yankees game live.

May 29, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  57. Christina

not is there a game that would be worth $2,500 for me.no sports, no other game is not worth that much.Crazy a lot of money this game.
    never pay that much for a sports event, because I rather pay for a book or study.

May 31, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  58. Tiffany

$2500 is A LOT! You need to have a king-sized bed and some servant to give you food and drinks while you watch some sports to pay for that much!!

June 1, 2009 at 8:33 am |
  59. Brad

I would be willing to pay that much for a ticket to the NBA finals game 7 between the Lakers and the Celtics ( Magic vs. Byrd).

June 1, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  60. John

I would spend that much on this year's Super Bowl with the perks of a VIP.

June 1, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  61. Najah

I would pay that much to attend the Original "Classic" Florida A& M vs. Bethune Cookman.

June 1, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  62. celia

Honestly i think that it is crazy to pay that much money for a baseball ticket. I would never pay that much money for any ticket exept if it was an olympic game of some kind. I think that people are acting crazy with the economy the way it is spending way to much money on things that are not that important.

June 2, 2009 at 12:30 am |