.
May 20th, 2009

School: A Home away from Home?

A Mexican teenager who attends class across the border in the U.S. describes her school as another "home."  For students like her at the Lydia Patterson Institute in El Paso, benefits include security, stability, a chance to get away from drug violence in Juarez - not to mention an education.

Other than a place to take classes, what do you get out of school?  And what crossed your mind when you heard that some students cross a border to get an education?

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Haley :)

I get a lot from going to school. Once you hear something like a person going over the border to get an education really shows students how important an education is.

May 20, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Maria and Courtnee!

It sounds crazy. It would be not so fun if i did that. I'm not that sure. I hope this be on CNN student news! You're awsome Carl!

May 20, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  3. Dave

First of all being a Highschool graduate only I went to make myself a living and could do it so I am going to college or for some school. Other than classes I get to learn so many different things like different cultures and it's operation, learned to stay connected with life and did not feel alone and etc. I feel proud and salute those students who cross the borders to get an education because at times their hopes and dreams and means of life do not come true if they don't do that. I honor and with full respect Thank them for doing that and wish them goodluck in their life.

May 21, 2009 at 1:37 am |
  4. Jasmine

Wow!
    I really admire her doing it.
    I like studying (somtimes 😉 )and apparently she does too.
    And i think that that contry should give better aducation. why else whould they cross the border?

May 21, 2009 at 3:45 am |
  5. Lucy

it is crazy but sometimes people do anything to get educated. I don't really disagree with her idea. Even I would if i was her

May 21, 2009 at 4:39 am |
  6. Jade

That's Okay! NO PROBLEM IN SOUTH KOREA 🙂

May 21, 2009 at 6:45 am |
  7. Dylan

School may be out but this show is outasite! I know its not as bad as you Carl but i tried.

May 21, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  8. Sydney

It is different for them. Not that many people are in danger like they are and need a second home to survive.

May 21, 2009 at 8:13 am |
  9. Jeffey

I GO FOR GOLD AT SCHOOL! yay! School is cool and it is fun! Me Jeffey do no wat me talking bout'

May 21, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  10. Cody

I think that Mexican people should not attend American schools. Because Mexico should take care of its own kids and not just let another nation take care of it. It is true that America is awesome but not great enough to take care of other problems. AND I LOVE CARLZ SHOW WE WATCH IT EVERYDAY DURING SOCIAL STUDIES.

May 21, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  11. aliciya

Im with haley on this one Carl!!!!!!!!!!!
    ; ]

May 21, 2009 at 3:55 pm |

Carl,
    I love CNN! My class watchs it everyday! I'm so glad that we only have one more day of school left! I would mean so much to my class, if you would out our comment on! Please......Thankyou so much!
    -Mrs. Davis's first period..... Social studies! 🙂

May 21, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  13. Linda

That's crazy! (How do these people get to school!?!?!?!?)

May 21, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  14. Alice

I think that it's great that those people value they're education enough to go to another country. I think that being able to go to the school in El Paso, Texas is a great opportunity for those kids, they can escape the violence in Juarez.

May 21, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  15. Maria and Courtnee

What are your plans for the summer Carl?
    =]

May 21, 2009 at 7:05 pm |
  16. Emma

I think that it is pretty awesome. If it gives those students a better opprotunity then they should feel welcome to come to the US to learn.

May 21, 2009 at 8:21 pm |

When I go to school, I'm not going to lie, I get bored. But I get to see all of my friends which is good. School isn't my home away from home though.

May 21, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  18. Dakota

We as a student body mostly today take advantage of the fact that we get a good education and the fact that we have so many opportunities open to us. But, when you see something like this it gets some people thinking about how good we really have it. So thank you to all our teachers and the entire CNN staff for our Opportunities. (You keep us informed on the current events) So thank you from you Carl to the guy behind the camera!

~Thank you~

May 22, 2009 at 1:29 am |
  19. penny

I live just 2blocks away from my school.It only takes about 5minnutes.But another country?WOAH

May 22, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  20. Eugene

I live in south korea and across the border is north korea.So it isnt possible.

May 22, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  21. Jerry

EUGENE,JADE

YOU GUYS LIVE IN SOUTH KOREA ?I LIVE IN SOUTH KOREA TOO!(BUSAN)

May 22, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  22. Paula

Here in New jersey I used to ride a bike for 30 minnutes. But now my boyfried bought a car so it isn't a problem anymore

May 22, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  23. Patrick

On my 16th birthdat my parents bought me a car!So it only takes 7 minnutes now!But across the border?I cant even imagine.

May 22, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  24. Helen

Across the border from my nation is DPRK. I live in southkorea.

May 22, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  25. Leah

Wow, that's determination! I totally would have done that for my education!! I'm home-schooled, so I think I've gotten a lot more than just math skills from school. I got to spend a lot more time with my parents and I learned a lot more than I would have at a public school. Now that I'm going to a public high school next year, I hope I can use all of the knowledge my parents gave me.

May 22, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  26. Stephanie

When I go to school, I not only get education but also I have a lot of friendships from school. And also many of my life lessons have school involved. I think school makes you ready for the real world. You learn responsiblity.

May 22, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  27. kelsey

I think that school is surely a home to some people. Especially those kids who have problems at school. I believe that the school's job is to be as kind as they possibly can. I think that this girl has real determination to go across the border for education. You go girl!!!

May 22, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  28. sumika

It took about 3 hours to get to the school from my house.
    It was exhausting.
    So I admire her energy and courage.

May 23, 2009 at 3:36 am |
  29. luther

l think he should

May 23, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  30. Jennifer

Okay, so I get so much out of school it's unreal! I have developed so many friendships, and they will last for a life time! Of course, I like to learn new things and school is the best oppertunity for that! Also, without school, I would have never watched CNN Student News! That would have been sad. Can you please put this comment on a show? Thank you!

May 23, 2009 at 7:18 pm |
  31. Jessica

thats CRAZY i wonder how much money she spent

May 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  32. charlie

I think it is dangerous if she is crossing the border each day because of the drug wars in that area

May 25, 2009 at 8:23 pm |
  33. Jack

So many people would kill for an education, cause they know without a good education you won't be able to much in life as you are right now.

May 26, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  34. Jake

In my opinion, I take school for granted. I see it as a waste of time, drag, although I know it is for the best of me and my future, and without it I won't amount to very much. I go to a very good school and have got a great education over the last 10 years, and that will continue to happen. In school people develop friendship and skills that will stay with them forever, both things I can relate to. I don't see school as another home, but it is a means of protection and security, as well as a friendly environment. School can be overwhelming and tough, but it is also rewarding and it gives you a chance to talk to your friends and peers whom you don't always see. Thankfully I live in an area where I don't have to worry about drugs and violence.

May 26, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  35. Jasmine

I think that now education is really important since it'll help you for the future and get a better job in this economy. But what really surprises me is that the Mexican teenager only goes to the other school and cross the border just for security.

May 27, 2009 at 12:12 am |
  36. Jack

as long as someone gets a education they'll have a bright future, friends, jobs .etc.

May 28, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  37. Colin & Dalin

School is like another home to us because we spend so much time there

May 29, 2009 at 7:49 am |
  38. Nora from Mrs. T's class

My opinion is that education is important. So if someone says school is like home I have to agree. MY house is all about studying, studying, studying and homework, homework, homework.

May 31, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  39. Fern

I get a good dose of life at school. I learn that life isn't fair, and not everyone is is nice. But you also become a better person yourself to try to deflect the meaness in people.

June 2, 2009 at 11:19 pm |