April 21st, 2009

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle...Respond!

Wednesday, April 22 is Earth Day, and a special edition of CNN Student News brings you a world of resources (get it?) to mark the occasion.  From the struggles of crab fishermen in Chesapeake Bay to the efforts of engineers to turn buildings green, we discuss an array of environmental subjects and show ways in which YOU can help keep the world cleaner.

Now the question is, are you currently doing anything to help the planet?  Do you recycle or try to cut down on trash, or are you doing anything special to celebrate Earth Day?  Give us a sense of what it means to you by responding right here!

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. kaleb

I think recycling is a great idea, It will help save this planet one bottle at a time and I think earth day is a good awareness day to help people think of the seriousness of pollution.

April 21, 2009 at 9:06 pm |
  2. Mannly

We do a couple of things in my school to help save the world. First of all my FFA chapter collects all the paper in the school once a week and takes it to a recyling plant nearby. Even though we don't make a profit off it, we still do it. Secondly, the Close Up group is also collecting alluminum cans and such around the school and around the neighborhood. We also do roadside cleanups every spring and fall.

April 21, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  3. John

I pray.

April 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Nikki

My grade is going to go outside for awhile a little before school starts, and we'll be cleaning up the schoolyard, playground, and the field. You could say our school really likes Earth Day! lol!

April 21, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Jing

I feel people don't have any ideas of protecting our earth. Now we have to pay the doggy bag–a kind of small plastic box in china, I don't think their purpose is to raise our consciousness of green, but for extra money. I can't take myself as an environmentalist , but I have been doing as a little as i can for the planet by recycling water .Normally, I don't just let water drain when I finish washing .Instead, I pour it into a big container ,but need to make sure the waters is clean enough to FLUSH THE TOLIET.

April 21, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Mr. Koczot

Although my students may not like it, I gave my class a "Test" today – using RECYCLED paper! We're also celebrating an Earth Day Birthday... Katherine.

April 22, 2009 at 7:12 am |
  7. Mrs. Hanson's Class

We are trying very hard to go green at our school! We have been working with the city of Thomasville and have started a school-wide recycling program. Also, our city has asked us to create commercials to promote our city's e-recycling day and overall recycling program. They are going to air it on our city channel. We even made a song about recycling.

April 22, 2009 at 8:11 am |
  8. steven

My family does many things to reduse, reuse, and recycle. We pass down A LOT of clothes to start with. We buy paper plates instead of styrofoam. Also, we pack the dishwasher as tight as possible. Those are only a few of the things we do to conserve.

April 22, 2009 at 8:36 am |
  9. Hunter

I love the idea of the three R's. My family recycles cans,plastics, glass, and paper. We have certain garbage bins in our backyard to take to a recycle cart whenever they get full. A little more work it causes us, but to the cost of helping out our Earth.

April 22, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  10. Sara

I do things every day to save our planet: my family recycles, and we carpool in the afternoon from school. I think our science class may be doing something special for Earth Day, but at the end of the day, it's the awareness that counts.

April 22, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  11. Jeremiah

Every day I recycle all of my cardboard materials. I also like to look for any recycle bins to through my recyclable materials in. And without a doubt, I always try to save electricity by doing simple things like turning of a light when there is enough light coming in from outside.

April 22, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  12. CJ

To help this world I recycle anything possible.Although I don't know I would recycle my ipod touch.I also only drink out of washable cups I don't use styrofoam plates.We need to help this world and Earth Day is a great way of getting people aware of Earth's Pollution.

April 22, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  13. Anabel

The Earth needs our support because we live here and share it with all the animals. Everyday people can turn off the lights for one hour and that could do the trick! All of the pollution that is released everyday slowly destroys our planet, so lets help Mother Nature! 😀

April 22, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  14. Riley

I personally do as much as I can when I can for the environment. And yes I use mechanical pencils(not wood).I pick up trash when i see it recycle cans and donate my unused clothes, I think I do pretty good at cleaning up the environment.

April 22, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  15. Anthony

Our class is celebrating Earth Day by eating only vegetarian food during lunch in our cafeteria. Did you know by eating no meat (vegetarian) you will erase 25% of your ecological footprint (mark on the environment)?

April 22, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  16. Paige

Everyone in my house recycles cans after we use them. We also reuse plastic bags. However, we aren't doing anything special just for Earth Day, because we already reuse and recycle almost everyday, and i think people should try to help the enviroment everyday, not just on Earth Day.

April 22, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  17. Grover

I am currently doing nothing to celebrate earth day, i feel that it is just another day in the week. My family takes plastic bottles to the recycling center in our local neighborhood. I dont buy the items in the grocery store made from recycled materials because i feel the prices to the items are outrageous and should be lowered, this way we would actually have some insentive to buy the item and save the earth.

April 22, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  18. Jesse

I do believe it is important for earth to be as eco-friendly as possible, but some people are not as committed such as me. I do not feel any side effects from the trashed up earth. So until I began to feel the negative effects of the messed up earth, I will not change my ways. Easier ways are usually a price against the earth. People really need to make greener products for the public because some people will not change easily.

April 22, 2009 at 8:53 am |
  19. Mrs. Wimbish's class

At our school, all of the food choices in the cafiteria are vegitarian. The reason why we are doing this is because we use way more land to raise farm animals but if we eat vegitables and fruit we do not waist as much water. We have a recycling bin in every class room for paper. WE'RE GOING GREEN!!!!!!!

April 22, 2009 at 9:05 am |
  20. Laura

I think recycling in a key important to us to live on the earth. We are polluting more than we are giving back. I think that it safe bet that the more damage done the less the earth as time to heal itself. We got holes in the o-zone, the ice caps are disappearing in the north and the south. The fighting is killing young men. We need to reuse and recycle to help the earth. Stuff that is of valve and can work can land in a land field. We need to keep the stuff that can be used and safe to reuse should be held on too.

April 22, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  21. Adam

I recycle almost anything I can: paper bags, plastic bags, plastic bottles, tin cans, and old newspapers (after I've done the crossword of course). I use the stuff I don't recycle for my Rube Goldberg contraptions.

April 22, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  22. Darcee=)

Earth day means taking a moment to think about our Earth and how to make it better! my family recycles and we even have a giant compost pile!!! to make this place a little bit brighter everyone will have to pitch in!!!

April 22, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  23. Darcee=)

Earth day is about cleaning up the world that God gave us.

April 22, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  24. Evan

On earth day everyone should plan to do something that is helpful to the environment. I plan to recycle and walk from home to school and from school to home. This way you can reuse the recycled items for other uses, and walking would save gas and the harmful fumes from cars won't harm the environment.

April 22, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  25. Joshua

I think pedal power is alot better than power because 1) you get execersize. 2) i race bikes all the time and trust me if you crash with pedal power it doesnt hurt that much. But if you fall going 20mph i can see a whole bunch of injurys that might happen going 20mph.

April 22, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  26. Meghan

My entire family recycles. We send out three bins of recycling to the curb every monday morning. I also have friends who bring home their milk bottles to recycle. When i go swimming in the ocean, i don't feel like having to fight trough trash. We need to start helping the earth.

April 22, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  27. Harrison

Hello from omaha over the past few years i have been trying to become more earth friendly by recycling and not wasting paper and using both sides of the sheet. this isnt exactly making a house out of a hill but it is one step to help save the planet.

April 22, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  28. Ck

I try and recycle as much as I can. Tonight at 9pm I'm going to turn out all my lights to help "go green". I do try and cut down on using as much trash, and only use recycable paper plates depending on the occasion. Earth day is very important, and everyone should help do something to preserve our planet.

April 22, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  29. Michael

I currently use glasses instead of plastic cups because they are reusable. My household never uses any plastic products either. I do look at the Earth like my body and I strive to keep it clean.

April 22, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  30. Chloe

Currently, I help the earth by recycling and keeping the lights off to reduce electricity. I think earth day is a great idea to help the planet. For earth day tonight I will have a candle light dinner.

April 22, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  31. Rishi

I recycle soda cans, newspaper, and other things like that, and I also try not to use lights unless it is nessecary. For Earth Day I plann on turning off all of my lights at 9:00 pm like everyone else should be doing, and I will be turning off all of my aplliances for an hour to help conserve energy. I hope that other people do the same as I am.

April 22, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  32. Grace

My school is going vegetarian for the day. Not eating meat helps conserve water. Most cattle take millions of gallons of water to feed so if slowly the world cuts down on its meat intake it will save millions of gallons of water each day. So when the number of cattle is cut down we can have more space for vegetables and fruits to grow. It might actually work. Well it's worth a try, because everyone can help, so everbody should.

April 22, 2009 at 9:34 am |
  33. Kelli

i myself wasnt a "great" recycler but after seeing that we produce on average about 4 pounds of trash a day i think ill be more conservitive and think before i act

April 22, 2009 at 9:40 am |
  34. Ceirra

I have recycled a few times, but somethimes it is hard to remember to think before we act. i also wanted to say i love watching cnn news Carl Azuz you are AWESOME!!!!

April 22, 2009 at 9:42 am |
  35. shelby

Me and my class has done a lot for the Earth.Were trning of lights and savig a lot of paper.reduce,reuse,and recycle!

April 22, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  36. Timia and Rhianna

Well we recycle and try to help our family cut down on water and electricity...One day we watched nickelodeon and they want all of their viewers to turn there lights out for one whole minute at 9:00 pm. We decided to do it just for fun and to be a big part and help!!!

April 22, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  37. tyler

Carl every day our school recycles paper , plastic , and cans also we celebrated earth day by cleaning up trash around the school .

April 22, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  38. Abby

Our school has a grant to make non-toxic cleaners. Many students have participated by making the cleaners to use at home and many teachers are using them in the classrooms!

April 22, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  39. becca

I am trying to recycle more. I am reusing my sister's old clothes. I am giving my old clothes to my littler sisters. My family and I are also going to see the movie Earth.

April 22, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  40. Dominic

My school thrives in recycling paper when we have extas of if we want to throw it away we recycle it instead.

April 22, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  41. Hannah

The ways my school helps the world go green is they have us recycle our scraps of paper. Also me n my neibors collect cans of pop after they are empty and we send them into a compost place. My aunt and i give our old cell phones to the battered women and childern places and my dad used to give his too.

April 22, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  42. Alexis

our school recycle because we have a recycle bin in every room. we recycle whenever we need to. our school has been green for a long time and we intend to keep green for a long time. we recycle scrap paper and other papers also in art we recycle

April 22, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  43. Jessica

My school recycles paper.

April 22, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  44. John

I recycle papers to help the planet. I am not doing anything special to help out with Earth day. My school is not doing anything special either except for in my computer class we watched a video and are now responding to this.

April 22, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  45. david

we are reclying our schools paper

April 22, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  46. osama

i think we are doing the right thing by recycling

April 22, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  47. Zack

i think we are making an attempt to make this earth better.

April 22, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  48. Danielle

I think we are making an effort to "Go Green" such as we have recycling bins in the classrooms but many ppl still throw things away. Bu say at lunch we throw everything away including cans.

April 22, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  49. gage

we do nothing to help i just pick up a little bit of trash every day

April 22, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  50. Tilly

I'm a scout and to help save the enviroment our troup collects cans and recycle them. The money from the cans that we collect go to our camping trips. Alos yesterday when we went conueing we took ou bags with us and cleaned up the shore ling

April 22, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  51. Paige

recycle.i'm in scouts with a few of my friends and we recycle almost anything we can. Recently we went to a war plane museum where we spent the night. when we had breackfast they made us sort the garbage into FOIL, STYROFOAM, PLASTIC, and LIQUID WAIST. You can recycle juice?
    this is how we reuse. we all have theese hidious neon-green shirts that we where every Tuesday when we meet.
    reduce. when we go places, like to the museum and Can/Am camp that are hours away we through nine of us into the nine seat van and the rest of us go in a truck with another scouter. 17 people in a scout group is A LOT.

April 22, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  52. Julie

The ways I help the enviroment is my dad and I kind of oddobted our highway. When ever we can we go along with garbage bag and clean up everthing we can. With the gabage we dipose of but with the other things like water bottles, beer cans and bottles, pop cans and what ever other recycleables we can find, we can make a little cash with the pop cans and beer bottles. I think recyling is great

April 22, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  53. alex

for earth day i pick up anything i find on the ground and put it where it should go i think every body should help save the earth every day

April 22, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  54. clare&morgan

At our school in student council we are making recycling boxes for all the teachers. Every so often we will go around and we will gather all of the paper.

April 22, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  55. kara and clare

WE WANT TO HELP OUR ENVIROMENT!

April 22, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  56. Madi

I think that it is very important to protect the environment!

April 22, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  57. Ben

Our school is doing nothing to commemorate Earth Day. All we did was watch the podcast.....nothing else. The teacher rejected proposals to pick up trash, or enjoy the local plant life. I'm very disappointed.

April 22, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  58. Ryan

Are school isnt doing anything for Earthday. They act like it doesnt even it exist. We suggested going and picking up trash/just going for a walk and they totally shut it down......

April 22, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  59. Rochelle

Our economic class is going around the school picking up trash and help recycle. Go coach ivy class

April 22, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  60. Michie

At our school, we made an Eco Club this year. It helps by making recycled boxes into boxes where we recycle the paper! We also make sure we recycle cans and bottles at lunch! I think we're doing a great job!

April 22, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  61. Makayla

Every day in school I recycle paper. I love to pick up trash along the road, and every time I am mad at the people who throw out garbage.

April 22, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  62. aijay

This year, my school started to recycle paper and other things, instead of it all just going in the garbage and going to waste. Also, I told my teacher we should go outside and pick up garbage and other things for Earth Day!!!

April 22, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  63. Jessica

My family and I do a lot of recycling and reusing. We always recycle pop bottles, paper and we try not to use paper bowls and cups. Also we like to try and not turn on the lights in the house until it gets dark outside.

April 22, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  64. Grace

Our class, and our hole school is very eco-friendly. Almost every scrap peace of paper we use and don't need goes in our recycle bin. Also we are using computers now instead of using paper and pencils.

April 22, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  65. Karisa

I LOVE EARTH DAY!!!!!
    I picked up trash, I recycle plastic bags, and in every classroom in our school there is a recycling bin to recycle anything that can be recycled. I love Earth Day because I wanted to be an environmentalist. I think everybody should join together and CLEAN UP OUR EARTH!!!!!

April 22, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  66. Logan & Rachel

We are tree huggers. We really like to reduce reuse and recycle. At our school we recycle paper. It is healthy for us and our environment. It gives us a good feeling when we do something good for the environment. Our school also has laptops so we use less paper which saves the TREES!!!!! SO NOW IT"S YOUR TURN TO GO SAVE A TREE!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

April 22, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  67. Buddy

My school recycles every Monday. We recycle cans from the kitchen,paper, and boxes, we recycle from every room which is a lot. i think every school should recycle because it will help the environment.

April 22, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  68. Bethanny

To stay green I make sure my family recycles (Duh!), I reuse water bottles instead of buying new ones, I try to only keep lights on that we need immediatly, and i try to buy economically friendly products.

The earth supports us, it's time we support the earth!

April 22, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  69. Katie

I think that is is wonderful that we have a Earth Day! Our class is going out to are playground and picking up trash so save the earth. We also have laptops so we don't use as much paper as a normal school. Happy Earth Day!

April 22, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  70. Alyssa

Last Saturday me and few other kids helped some of the teachers and my step-dad make 'smores at a Earth Day Convention. But instead of using a fire, we used 1 solar oven and 2 home made ovens from pizza boxes. Our booth was a hit, but all the kids didn't like sitting in the sun all day.
    I think that solar may be the future for a way to help save our earth.

April 22, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  71. kaylee

My school has recycling bins at the high school and at the middle school.I'm a huge recycler! At home i recycle bottles, cans, and paper.
    I just wish people would understand how much there killing the earth.
    It gives us life so why can't we give it life and keep it healthy?!

April 22, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  72. chris

for earth day my Yosemite Valley class made smores from hand made solar ovens (we made them from pizza boxes ,and tin foil). although we found that we didn't need them with hot it was that day... And the almost all of the residents came + people touring the valley! And the was all kinds a recycled stuff food and drinks(there was even paper made from elephant poop!) and in all it was a awesome earth day! =)

April 22, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  73. Mrs. J

Today my sixth hour class emptied all the recycling bins in our school. Our seventh grade classes from the past six years, in conjunction with our district's business manager, have been instrumental in starting and maintaining a recycling program as a part of the U. S. Army's eCybermission project.

April 22, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  74. Adriana

Right now our teacher is recycling all of the waterbottels in the class and has us recycle all of our paper that we don't use or need. He has us use the pieces of paper more than once.

April 22, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  75. Baneza

my teacher Mr.Prescott is collecting the most waterbottles he can and my class is helping him out by recycling old homework we dont need anymore and everyone in our class is wearing green to support earth day

April 22, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  76. Stacy

My class here in Minnesota created a bulletin board for April and for Earth Day. We gave suggestions about how to be more "green." We also bought enough Earth Day pins for all of the students and adults in our school to wear. These pins remind us all to be kind to our Earth.

April 22, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  77. Hannah

I have started collecting cans so that I can turn them in for money so that I can buy a laptop. Maybe even an eco-friendly laptop.

April 22, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  78. caitlin

Yes, we do recycle but not just at school.Most of us reuse or recycle at home.I don't know if we doing thing for EARTH DAY but at my house we turn of all of the lights and everything we turn on.
    caitlin

April 22, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  79. Ms. Carrington's Class

Our classroom takes one sided copies that have been put in the recycling bins by students and staff and cuts them into quarters. We then double hole punch them and tie them with ribbon. We hand them out to all of our staff for scratch pads.

April 22, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  80. Mr.Z and Mrs.Campbell's class

Our class picked up garbage near our school for Earth day.

April 22, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  81. Elizabeth

My class and i are helping the environment by collecting cans and trading them in for money to send barrels of clothes to Ghana!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 22, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  82. Sarah

The big discovery for me as an earth lover was the issue of paper towels. You know that kind that you use in public bathrooms that people always take too much of? Well, I thought places recycled that wasted paper, however, I have discovered that they actually throw all that paper away because it has the soap chemicals on it. So instead, since I live in a dorm I always take a hand towel with me so I won't have to use a paper towel.

April 22, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  83. bob

when i reduce reuse and recycle i know i am doing something good.my family and i bought eco friendly light bulbs to start .helping save the earth is fun but we need to do it while we can so our children can live to see everything we see now (but more beautiful)

April 22, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  84. Amelia

My entire school goes outside and picks up all the garbage within a twenty-foot radius around the school(while avoiding the roads).

April 22, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  85. nancy

our class is going to see a movie about earth day

April 22, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  86. Alex

My whole 6 grade celebrated earth day by having a party and
    planting trees.

April 22, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  87. gabriella

my class is partying all day to celebrate EARTH day

April 22, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  88. Ericka

My family and I are saving and recycling waterbottles. Since we are going to be planting our garden soon, we have started seeds in the small ones( so that the birds don't eat them) and are going to trans-plant the sprouts into the larger ones. We are also using reusable bags when we go shoping so that we reduce the amount of plastic in landfills( by the way, plastic bags and waterbotttles take over 1000 years to decompose!)

April 22, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  89. genna

Our class at school picked trash off the school ground !!!

April 22, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  90. Mrs. Murphy's class

Our fifth grade class picked up litter on our playground and around the school today in celebration of Earth Day. The wind blows here a lot, so we filled up 6 trash bags of garbage. We also learned about the new wind farm in our area where 69 wind turbines are making electricity and 71 new turbines are going up this summer.

April 22, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  91. Jimmy

We should do nothing....it helps our earth because mother nature had her way of recycling the earth and it is us that polluted earth so if we do nothing at all, like pollution and using waste. Then it will clean up by itself.

April 22, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  92. Adrianna

Our class is helping the Earth by recycling old waterbottles and recycling paper our teacher Mr.Prescott is using recycled paper to print our homework and other assignments on we also supported EARTHDAY by wearing green.

April 22, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  93. Ericka

A lot of kids ( and adults) probably don't think about Earth being like our body. When we take care of our body, we are healthy. In order for us to be healthy, the Earth needs to be healthy, so we need to take care of the Earth like we would take care of our body.

April 22, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  94. George

I recycle cans, turn off lights when not need, TVs when not needed....Anything you can mention that does with Recycling I've pretty much done. Hey, you have to remember this is the only place we have to live yet people out there want to waste it off as nothing. Help Mother Nature! Participate in Earth Day, and Earth Hour everytime!

April 22, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  95. Ian

I'm going to use plastic bottles, but not have them thrown out, or have my parents get near them. I like to reuse them when I buy them, or when I find one on the ground, (I wash it out first though...)

April 22, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  96. Mary-Allison

Our school started an Eco-Club this year. The club set up recycling bins to recyle paper, plastic bottles, and aluminum cans that would otherwise would have been wasted. They also put up posters encouraging things like using reusable water bottles and recycling. It has had a great impact on our school.

April 22, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  97. Maya

I really hate to see trees being taken down. In Eden Prairie we are building a bigger road and so far have cut down over 300 trees!!!Come on people the more trees gone the less oxogen!

April 22, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  98. Maya

I made a tree protest because the city is cuting down 100's!Maybe we can be eco-friendly?!

April 22, 2009 at 7:35 pm |
  99. Kristin

At my Church we have programs that go out and we went and cleaned up parks in the montgomery/Berks area. On Saturday 4/18 we also help clean up parks in Philadelphia. My Church got volenters to help the Parks,The playgrounds, and we cleaned up Routs 100 & 29. We never ask for anything in return excetp people care about the Earth. Sometimes people don't care but we do it only takes 1 person to help we only ask the next person will be you.

April 22, 2009 at 7:36 pm |
  100. Bernie

My family is reuseing paper bags that you get at the A&P, Toys R Us, Walmart, Macys and much more. We put it in this tube-like velvet container on our deck door's door-knob. See ya tomorow on CNN Student News.

From,
    Bernie

April 22, 2009 at 8:46 pm |
  101. Anonymous

my class has been a few things to help the earth.here are the things we are doing
    1.recycling cans
    2.planting in our little green house

April 22, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  102. shirley

my class has been doing a few thing to save the earth, but it was not only for earth day because we belive that everyday is earth day. here are some of the things we are doing:
    1. recycling cans
    2.planting flowers and fruits and vegetible
    3.making up a list of things we could do to save the earth
    4.not using as much light in the classroom

April 22, 2009 at 9:06 pm |
  103. Daniela

At my school we have been working toward earth Day for about a month, we put a recycle bin in evey class, the office, the media center, and everywhere (except the bathrooms lol) the bins are for paper only . About a week ago we put a huge bin in the cafeteria for plastic bottles and cans. Today most cience classes went outside for Earth Day at least for a few minutes. In my class we planted seeds to grow more plants and to make a school prettier. Finally our broadcasting crew and other selected people have made commercials about recycling that they play during the morning annoucements. Today we had a special one showing how beautiful our earth is and why we need to protect it and how we can. Thanks Karen and Cami : ) nice job.

April 22, 2009 at 9:50 pm |
  104. Ryan

My school has been helping the Earth in a number of ways. We are reducing the number of lights used on Earth Day for a short term project. For a long term project, we made a project called Project Independence in which our school is putting up around 50 solar panels to power our lights. Last year we planted a couple hundred trees and because of our efforts an organization donated 100,000 more trees to Minnesota. It feels good to know you are a part in saving the world and that you can make a difference.

April 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  105. Breanne

At my school we recycle bags and anything else. Student council is trying to help us conserve power by coming to talk to classes. On Earth Day all of the third grade turned out there lights for 40 min. The only power we used was a laptop to watch CNN student news.At home we recycle all of our newspapers. I always give away clothes, not throw them away.

April 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  106. Keegan

Recyling is a very good thing to the Earth and Even the Three R's Reuse,Reduce and recycle. My parents reuse cloth bags which is very good with the environment. Go Green and pollution is Bad!!!!!

April 22, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  107. Julius

I bike to school every day, and my house has solar panels. I also recycle anything that I can.

April 22, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  108. Kyra

At my school for earth day we turned off all the lights in the school to conserve energy!

April 23, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  109. Chad

i think that recycling is a good thing to do. it helps our planet. i take plastic bottles to wal-mart and i also take alumium cans to a place where i get money. But, Carl do you recycle?

April 23, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  110. Heather

Hi im heather and our school is earth friendly here is some reasons why are school is earth friendly.

we have a recycleing bin so we airnt wasting paper we also have a compost pile for are left over fruits and vegtiables from lunch when everyone is done eatting and A very big reson is are energey powered lights in the willows .

~Heather

April 23, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  111. Megan

Our school does a bunch of things to help the enviroment... We have a green building called the "Willows". Here are some examples that my 7th grade class came up with:
    1. There are solar panels in the "willows" to heat the building and water
    2. Our cielings in our new middle school are open to save money on tiles
    3. The "Willows" walls are insulated with straw
    4. We have a recycling bin in each classroom
    5. We have a compost pile
    6. On the playground we have gardens that we grow vegetables and fruits (even grapes!!!)
    7. We have energy efficiant lighting
    8. There are plants throughout the school
    9. On top of the willows on the roof there is a "Living Roof" that plants grow on. The flowers look very pretty 🙂
    10. We have a "commons" where we can go to work on worksheets and there is a wall FULL of windows so we don't have to use much lighting
    11. On the roof of the "willows" there are solar panels to attract the sun to heat the building
    We love your show and and try try try to watch it every day in the morning.
    Your #1 fan,
    Megan

April 23, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  112. Nicole!

Hey Carl! What's up? I want to let you know that my school does ALOT to help out the enviroment. 🙂
    We has open ceilings to save on tiles. We recycle paper and plastic with things like our Everyday Edits! We have energy effiensent lights in the new middle that just opened this year. Outside the school we have gardens with plants, food and a compost pile, with things like banana peels, orange peels, and apple cores. in the willows which is a green building and the walls are insulated with straw. Also, they have solar panels which heats it. Inside the building, we have plants. In all the classrooms there are windows. The more i think about it, we have a really GREEN school!
    THANKS FOR READING THIS I APPRECIATE IT, Nicole!!! 😉

April 23, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  113. Chelsea

Hi Carl, I am blogging to share some of the ways my school is "earth friendly", some of the things we do here inclue: growing gardens with plants and vegetables, we have alot of windows instead of using the light switches, we have a green house, we have plants in almost every room, we recycle and compost, we make things from nature instead of going to the store and buying it, and we have a science building made of mud and that has solar windows. That was just the start of it. My class and the other 7th grade watch the CNN News alot mostly every morning and it would be really cool if you could read this when you are on CNN sometime. I really enjoy watching CNN. Thank You!:-) Have A Nice Day!

April 23, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  114. Sarah

Everybody is involved in trying to be more "green".
    Some examples are:
    *our compost pile...someone puts it out at lunch and everybody puts their fruit and vegtable scraps in the bucket.
    *we use the compost pile as fertilizer for our many gardens
    *we also recycle paper
    *we have an ecology class that takes care of the gardens and the teacher also teaches us ways to be more green
    *we also taught about food waste...we even kept track of our food waste at camp lael (an ecology camp)
    *the Willows is a building that the school tried to build as green as possible...solar panels, a green house, a living roof, ect...
    Not only do i get a good education but i also get to learn about being earth friendly and stuff like that
    ~Sarah

April 23, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  115. Samantha

I think that we should always recycle because it helps with the environment.

April 23, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  116. Shawn

well i think that earth day is stupid why would we shut our power off we would not be able to see and driving to school every day is pretty far why would i walk

April 23, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  117. Crystal

I think that people all around the world should reduce, reuse, and recycle. Not just on earth day, but do it in their everyday life. Though I do not do this like I am suppose to I should start.

April 23, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  118. Drew

I think recycling is a good thing to do because u can reuse the things that you recycle.

April 23, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  119. Brittany

I do a lot to help the Earth. I give my clothes to places like the goodwill. I also recycle paper, and things like that. But I could do more, everyone could do more to help the planet.

April 23, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  120. Lizzy

Hay Carl, my school is very erath friendly because we have solar energy windows. The walls in the "willows" are insulatiled with straw and mud. We recycle papper and plastic. We also have a green house.It can't get any better.

April 23, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  121. afro

i am recycling more.i gave my old clothes to my little brother.i am also watching what i recycle, like glass, cans, plastic, and paper.

April 23, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  122. Lee

I recylce cans and such around my home, But I feel like probably a lot of people, that prioritys can take over, and time is no longer available. To do all the reclycling I'd like to. I think that there are certain things everyone can do to help on a daily basis. Like disposing of your waste properly. Put your reclycing out on the weekends. Watching your emmissions and other things. Too often I see someone throwing their junk food on the side of the road. or simply letting wrappers and such fall to the ground.

April 23, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  123. Mr.Chavez's Class

Our 6th grade class at Cordova Middle School in Phoenix, AZ recycles every single day! We always try to do our best to save the planet! Many of us use mechanical pencils and some of us reuse our water bottles too!
    SOP= SAVE OUR PLANET!

April 23, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  124. Gabriela

We usually use recycled paper here in my state, in my house we use the solar energy to heat the swimming pool, but i've never heard of Earth Day here in Brazil, so i guess this date still hasn't become known around here. But i'm totally supportive!

April 23, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  125. Courtney

For Earthday, me, my sister, and my mom went to our neighborhood park and picked trash out of the lake. Then, we scrubbed grafiti off of the kids' playset with some help of our friends. Next, I unblocked the stream of water from the lake, boy was it muddy! When I was done, I looked at myself, and didn't know I would do something like that! I usually don't even like to get dirty! When we got home, we planted flowers in the front yard. What a day!!!!

April 23, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  126. BANEZA

I hope people RECYCLE the day of today

April 23, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  127. lizz

My clss is doing everything they can to RECYCLE

April 23, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  128. Gabby

Absolutely, Carl! I really care about the enviornment. I recycle all the glasses, bottles, and newspapers. I give my old clothes to my neighbor's cousin. For my 16th Birthday, I want not just a car, but a solar powered one! My 5th grade teacher Mr. Dallmann gave us flowers to plant, and mine grew and is still perfectly healthy living in my kitchen! I really am concerned about what people are doing to our Earth, and I wish I could end this nightmare and start a new life where everyone is doing whatever they can to help this enviornment!

April 23, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  129. Gabby

Also, I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian, because it will erase 25% of my ecological footprint in the enviornment!

I found that out about 3 seconds ago.

Hey, Carl, what do YOU do to protect the enviornment?

April 23, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  130. Tessa

In my 4th period Global Studies class we threw a epic party! We told everyone beforehand to wear some sort of "green" shirt, whether it was the color, or if it had a cute recycle saying! We also made a huge cake... chocolate, with green frosting! On it we wrote to Mother Earth wishing her only the best! WE LOVE YOU CARL!!!!!!

xoxo

April 23, 2009 at 7:41 pm |
  131. Darcee=)

I LUV EARTH DAY! and I luv cnn student news and cows!!!

April 23, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  132. Carrie

My name is Carrie and our whole entire school took part in Earth day. Our cafeteria was stalked with all vegetarian food. It wasn't that bad. Who knows, sacrificing on meal is not as bad as you think. I think I am going to try this more often.

April 23, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  133. Crystal

I love Earth Day, Carl! In school we have a program called the Y.E.S. Team. It means Young Enivornmental Specialists. We learn about how to save the earth and how things are being recycled. In school, we do all the three R's. However, I have another R for you: ROT, or composting. This helps our earth have better soil and less trash.

April 23, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  134. mitchel

i am useing the three R's and i think we should all reduce, reuse, and recycle

April 24, 2009 at 8:29 am |
  135. adam

Recycling is a great thing to do, and on Earth day everyone tries to do something to help the planet. The thing is, it never lasts long. People do things for a few days or months, then give up on it. They start litterign again, don't recycle, and just mess up all over again. We should continue helping the environment, not just do it for a few days.
    "Going Green" is now becoming a fad. People (mainly teens) are going green to look cool. I don't think this is a bad thing, because at least they're doing something. I'm afraid that once this trend passes people will go back to how they used to be. I just hope the habits stick around and people start to keep the world cleaner.

April 24, 2009 at 9:51 am |
  136. Leah

My dad makes us do so many things to help the planet!! We only eat organis cood, we get freerange chicken and eggs and we recycle almost everything. : ) Plus, my dad found this book on different edible plants and made me try a dandelion leaf. : P I wouldn't recommend it, they're really bitter.

April 24, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  137. Pedro

You should always reycle on Earth Day, so count me in!!!

April 24, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  138. WMS

On Earth Day, the students at Whitewater Middle School cleaned up the property on their campus to beautify the grounds. The students also watched CNN Student News, and they enjoyed the story on "Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle." WMS is a lean, green, Earth cleaning machine! Thank you for letting us "branch out" our ideas to you.

April 24, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  139. Marcus

Right now, Chisago Lakes Middle School has started their "Project Independence." We're trying to raise money to buy solar panels to install at the front of the school adjacent to the highway. We've been selling shirts and sweatpants and money is coming in! We also have different activities like DDR or Basketball that you can pay to play. It all goes to Project Independence.

April 24, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  140. aj

3 kids in my are doing a play.
    About the 3 R's it good so far
    I realy like recicling.

April 24, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  141. Blake

Well, we haven't done much but we've done what we could in the time that we can. In our schedule, we've been able to do a fundraiser for the Wildlife Conservation, and today, since it was Arbor Day, we planted a lilac. Not much, but we at least did something, and that's all that matters!

April 24, 2009 at 9:28 pm |
  142. Emily

Our school held a fundraiser a few weeks earlier that sold t-shirts to help save the rainforest in Madagascar. Each item sold saved one-tenth of an acre of the rainforest in Madagascar. We ended up selling almost 300 items and saving almost 30 acres, and we're sending in another order soon. On Earth Day, we all wore the t-shirts we ordered, or green. Then today, for Arbor Day, we planted four lilac bushes outside and took a walk on the trails behind our school.

April 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  143. Adrienne

I recycle at school daily, at home weekly, and any other chance I have to recycle. I NEVER leave the water running. I reuse my foam/paper cups if i use them (i try to use glasses and stuff). I have reduced the amount of power I use at home by turning off the lights and my computer screen whenever i leave my room or any room. I love being "green"! Everyone else should join me in being green too!!!

April 25, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  144. Elizabeth

This year, Chisago Lakes Middlel School has started something called Project Independence. The school is taking donations and selling T-shirts and sweat pants to raise money so we can afford solar panels on the side of our school. We've already recieved some grants, and for just kicking off the start of this project, CLMS students are doing a great job taking part in the fundraiser.
    Hopefully by the end of the school year we'll have met our goal, and solar panels will be in the works of getting put up. The solar panels will be good for forty years, save our school some money in the long run, but most importantly help save the earth of harmful pollution. Maybe Chisago Lakes could even inspire some other schools to do the same. That would be great, too.

April 25, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  145. Izze

I think he gets a B because hes slowlyu getting thee economy better but hes not fixing some other stuff.

April 27, 2009 at 8:07 am |
  146. Sean

I think that recycling is a good thing and that for the most part people don't do it enough. I don't believe that people will start doing it either until certain actions are taken such as major tax cuts for those who do. This way more people would feel compelled to recycle because everyone likes to save a few bucks.

April 27, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  147. Emily

Resuign bottles saves the earth

April 27, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  148. Ria

i think recycling is really GOOD 2 SAVE THE PLANET. SO u kids who are not recycling! That is really bad also wat abot the trees wat has been cut down( bad )!!

April 27, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  149. ruby

i recycle at home and we try to put as many dishes as we can in the dishwasher. i also think that people sould not cut down trees. SAVE THE PLANET!

April 27, 2009 at 12:49 pm |
  150. East Mesa Juvenile Facility

Being locked up at a juvenile facility we have limited resources to squandor. We try our best to be environmentally conscious, but having limited resources makes this difficult. We pledge to incorporate seemingly simple tasks such as recycling, limiting our driving, shutting off the lights, taking shorter showers, and using recyleable shopping bags into our daily lives once we get released.

April 27, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  151. Tori

You shouldn't clean our earth to recieve rewards. You should clean it knowing the fact you've just save someone or something's life. My school sees it that way too. We have an enviromental group. We have 4 recycling bins. One is for paper , one for aluminum , one for plastic and another for glass. Everyone should recycle to help keep our earth away from the era of global warming. Also if you cut down a tree you should plant one. If you think of any other ways to save the earth try them and see if they help. =-)

April 27, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  152. Danny

i think we should have an earth week dedicated to doing as much as possible to help the inviroment

April 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  153. Aaron

i would give President Obama a B because there are some thing that he could have made better.

April 28, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  154. Aisha

April 28, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  155. Aisha

I think that the 3 R's are important in our economy and it is important that we do more to help make the world a better place so we can have a safer place to live and a more eco-friendly environment. I think that people all around the world should reduce, reuse, and recycle. Not just on earth day, but do it in their everyday life.

April 28, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  156. jonathan

obama is doin a good job A+

April 28, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  157. Sarah

Don't just use the three r's on Earth Day! Use them everyday or think of everyday as Earth Day! Go out and make a difference!

April 28, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  158. Betty

I think we need to recycle, it is very important to humanity!
    if we dont respond now our children will be the ones paying for our consaquences!

i love plant earth and so should you, so lets take a stand.

April 28, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  159. Allison

What I do on EarthDay (encluding everyday) is recycle all my old schoolwork and use the natural light coming through my window. On EarthDay I turned of every light in my house for 5 minutes. I think more people should do this to save our planet.=)

April 28, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  160. Trenton

I try to help the planet as much as I can, but since every one is "going" green. The CO2 is droping on Earth and the Earth instead of Globel Warming like everyone says. It is in Globel Cooling so if the CO2 contines to drop like experts say and the Earth keeps in Globel Cooling we will be in a ice age by 2020

April 28, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  161. Austin, Hunter And Airen

We help the environment by recycling at our school and recycle at our house, and we try to get other people to recycle too.

April 28, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  162. mr.paulus

HERE WE CELEBRATE EARTH DAY BY PLANTING TREES. FOR THE PAST 10+ YEARS WE HAVE PLANTED ONE HUNDRED TREES A YEAR. EACH YEAR OUR LOCAL FORESTRY DEPARTMENT DONATES A VARIETY OF TREES. THIS YEAR THEY WERE BALD CYPRESS. OUR LOCAL FORESTER SAID IF WE COULD GET THEM THROUGH THE SUMMER MONTHS THEY ARE A 100 YEAR TREE. IN OTHER WORDS THEY SHOULD STILL BE GROWING A HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW.

April 28, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  163. ♥MB♥

GO EARTH! THATS ALL!

April 28, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  164. fitzle

EARTH day is awsom in evere way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 28, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  165. itzel

My shool has its own envirementel club to show how much we care about the earth even thowe awer school is not the greenest is will be, because we have resicald over one bilean binze of paper,cans and much more. and for the move EARTH we walk to the theters gust to be earth frendle and to do it right on earth day.We also have plant sails so that pepole plant them and give the earth more energy.

EARTH DAY ROCKS!!!!!!!

April 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  166. Hailey

I love earth and I want my great great grand kids to live here so recycling is a great Idea

April 29, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  167. Mimzers

Its a shame that not everybody recycles.By just doing simple little things,like put a soda can into the recycling bin,or turning off the light when you leave the room for a long amount of time can make a massive difference.So if we start now,and help the earth,we wouldn't have to live in global warming any longer,and overtime we will see a huge improvement that will better everybody.

April 29, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  168. Michael

At my house, we have recently switched to an electric lawn mower and that should really help with some pollution issues. We also have a garden filled with plants going at all times as a way to both help the environment and make our lawn look better.

April 30, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  169. Alex

I recycle cans and things like that, but i dont really do anything else. I'm really just too busy to do much else- I'm in high school, and have a job i work 30 hours a week at, and while i would like to do anything i can, but i just cant.

April 30, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  170. MADELYN

We do our part in recycling. In our house, we recycle bottles and cans, paper and cardboard. We also never throw out things that other families could use like clothes, toys and things that are still in good shape. We find places to donate our stuff to. How would you like it if your home was a mess? Well, that's how our earth is. It's a complete mess, and we all have to clean up.

April 30, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  171. Alexis (Lexy)

I think Recycling will be good for the planet because we need more people to not waste and throw things out. Especially plastic bags because they take decades to dissolve.

April 30, 2009 at 7:53 pm |
  172. Louie

My family do are part in saving the earth by recycle and when jeans are to small for me we cut them to there nees so there shorts. I think every day should be earth day. When its is earth day we should do double the work. My brouther gives his clouths to me.

April 30, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  173. Lucy

I could personally say that I am a green activitist. I especially get nervous when my mom leave the lights on even if she doen't use it, I always organize our trash cans. I really enjoy them, really.

May 1, 2009 at 6:47 am |
  174. Sammy

To be honest, I am not the most enviromentally friendly individual. In the future, i will try to recycle, and do my best to conserve water and energy. As little as some people may think the environment is important, with out it, there would be no place for future generations to live

May 1, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  175. Tiffany

I do reduce, reuse, and recycle and i do tell my classmats to do the same. I also use cold water to take a bath.

May 1, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  176. Alex

I try to help the planet as much as i can... but since everyones going green, the CO2 is dropping. If to many people go green flowers and plants will die and we will be living in an ice age by the year 2020

May 2, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  177. grethel

we should always recycle its good for the enviorment and us if we dont recycle we are killing our atmosphere and without our atmosphere we cant breath and we die so use the three r,s reduce,reuse,recycle always throw trash in your green recycling bin and ur bottles can newspaper ect. in the blu one just one little thing makes a big diffrence so take a stand go green!

May 3, 2009 at 9:10 pm |
  178. brady

I donʻt like Earth day. It is a good thought, but its only one day. If they made it once every month it might help are Earth.

May 4, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  179. jeneen

recycle is the most important thing to do to help our earth!
    it not only helps the earth but it will help out atmosphere!!
    sooo take my adives and RECYCLE AND HELP AND SAVE OUR EARTH!!!! were not askin for much lol soo GOOOO GREEN!!!

May 4, 2009 at 8:47 pm |