.
April 14th, 2009
12:15 AM ET

"CNN Student News Stadium"

Sounds like an odd name to me, and as far as I know, it's not something we're planning...

Tuesday's show discusses a controversy involving a pro sports field named after a bank that got  billions in bailout money.  But we introduced the show itself by asking, "What's in a name?"  And that's exactly what I want to talk about in today's blog.  Does it ever strike you as odd to hear professional sports arenas named for businesses?  Think about "Tropicana Field," "Izod Center," "Amway Arena" and "Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre."  Do these just sound like places to see a good game or a good show, or do they have a different, more commercial ring than places like "The Georgia Dome" or "Yankee Stadium"?

It brings up the question of whether names matter...

Filed under: Feedback
  1. Campbell

I think (names) matter because it reprensents the team! Also, it's slightly cheezy!

April 14, 2009 at 1:22 am |
  2. Pierre-Jean

If the stadium's name is "Who's-the-dummy-here?-Field" or "Loser Arena" I would go straight to the administartor's office and slam a pie at his face. But if it's LG Stadium, Samsung Field or Hyundai Center what's the matter? I mean you don't have to make a savings account to go to Citi Field right? If the price is agreeable, I don't think it matters.

Go New York Yankees!!!!!!!!

April 14, 2009 at 2:32 am |
  3. Annie

i think that more orignal names like yankee statium should be used more like naming the feilds after the teams themselfs instead of these commerical names!
    GO YANKEES ! (:
    – annie

April 14, 2009 at 8:15 am |
  4. Adam

Names of stadiums don't really matter, neither do names of places. Although, if these comments got on the show, names would mean a lot to someone who's comment actually did get on the student news.

April 14, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  5. Harrison

I think that them wanting to advertise on a stadium would be a good thing. Citi started advertising before the economy turned bad, and I think that Citi had no idea that the economy was going to turn bad. Using a stadium for advertising would be a good idea and can help bring back investors to the company.

April 14, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  6. Drew

I think that is not cool at all.

April 14, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  7. Christina

I think that the pro baseball statem should be named after the home team.

April 14, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  8. Samantha

I think that the yankee stadium shouldn't have a new stadium because there was nothing wrong with the old stadium.

April 14, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  9. Shawn

i think its a good idea to put business names as like stadiums

April 14, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  10. Mrs. Bacon's Students

I feel that the Mets getting a new stadium is not right because all of their memories happened in that stadium. – DJ

I think the Citi should use that money for USEFUL things. If they have that kind of money, then why don't they help their banks?! Plus, who needs baseball? – Kita

I think that spending our parents tax money to pay for an advertisement on a baseball field is not a good way to help our struggling economy. – Shay

I feel that security should have stepped in sooner and stopped the pirates. – Isaiah

The pirates were scary and I didn't know they existed.- Mikaela

I think the name of the field should be changed back. I didn't know pirates existed. – Anna Kate

I think the Navy Seals did a great job getting the captain. They could've missed, and their captain could/ve died. I hope they get awarded. – Alan

I think that the big wheel race would be a load of fun!- Master of Disguise

If I had my own big wheel you would see me there. It's a good thing they wore helmets because of a few people that flew off like I would. – Adam

The big wheet race was really insane and ridiculous. But that's what makes CNN worthwhile. – Alexander

April 14, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  11. Mr. L

I think that this is outragous. Why does everything have to have a label on it? Why does everything have to be worth a dollar. I think this is even more crazy because we are giving this company so much money as tax payers.

April 14, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  12. kyladi

i dont like this idea one bit

April 14, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  13. Kara

I think that they shouldn't get to keep the stadium because obviously they don't have enough money.

April 14, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  14. Jen Jen

How could they spend money on something like that? It's outrageous!those names don't even sound fun! those names repel people, not invite them in!

April 14, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  15. Bailey

I think it is quite weard that you would name a sporting stadiom after a commercial businesses.They kinda bring it back to a commercial ring to my head.

April 14, 2009 at 12:49 pm |
  16. Jordan

I think a place named for businesses are ok but I would rather the name be something of meaning. For example Williams-Brice Stadium, The Georgia dome, and Brooks Stadium. These names sound like people who were an important part of the stadiums history. Business names don't sound like a place of fun. They sound like serious place not a place yuo want to go watch your favorite team play your favorite game. Or place to watch your dad embarass the mess out of you because he won't sit down and he painted his stomach and chest funny colors.

April 14, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  17. James

yes i think they should change it and we should not be charged for what citi did... citi messed up and the mets dont need that kinda compiny on there building

April 14, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  18. Nicholas

I think it's wrong that they are using the bail out money like that. The government gave that money to them to get them out of bankruptcy. Now they are using it to advertise that is stupid.

April 14, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  19. Justin

It sounds like a fined i'll go to

April 14, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  20. Benjamin

I say who cares the Mets Rule.

April 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  21. david

i think they do because we know yenkee stadium because of the great players that played their. Plus yenkee has a nice ring to it

April 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  22. Alyssa

I think that it doesn't matter if the field is named after a bank that needed a bail out, if the field is paying respect to the bank and the bank isn't spending a lot of money on the field then it's fine.

April 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  23. John

why would they change the name of the Mets stadium, I would leave it the way it is because the citi field is not a good name for the Mets to play in.

April 14, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  24. Unit Charlie East Mesa Juvenile Detention Facility

One student says that he does not like the fact that they are naming stadiums after corporations. He thinks that they should go back to the old way of naming stadiums after the team. It's more attractive to have the team name or city on the stadium. The big corporations should not advertise on a stadium, they should stick to advertising on commercials and billboards. They should keep the name of the stadium sports related.

April 14, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  25. Abby

I don't really think it matters. As long as Citi Bank pays the money it needs to, it wont make a difference.
    GO SOX

April 14, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  26. George

I think it was a horrible idea. They get a bailout, help their company, but the money that wasn't bailout get's wasted on a name? That's NUTS!

April 14, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  27. lucas

the citi field were the mets play is a nice stadium, but when citi had to get a bailout i dont think they should be spending like this!

April 14, 2009 at 5:52 pm |
  28. Leslie

They shouldn't waste tax money on that kind of stuff. Its just a name anyway.

April 14, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  29. Natalie

I'm not a big fan of sports teams myself, but I think that they should change or remain with a name that is original.

April 14, 2009 at 8:15 pm |
  30. cheyenne

I think names do matter because if they name a stadium after one team oh here comes another team one after another.

April 14, 2009 at 8:21 pm |
  31. Max

I think it´s not too bad to sell the name of a company and it really helps the team investing money into more serious and entertaining stuff for us fans!

April 14, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  32. Michael

I think that the naming of these fields after businesses is a bit of a turn off. Things like Tropicana stadium make it sound like you’re going to the game just for a bit of fruit punch. There should still be ads for any corporate sponsors but the whole stadium? Too much.

April 15, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  33. Ryan

A company putting their name on a sports stadium is not a bad thing. All the company is doing is advertising, during our economic struggles it's hard to get people to invest in your company. Naming fields is just one way to let the public know about your company and product. The sports teams that are advertised by these companies are greatly helped by this also. They get sponsored and have some money to help pay for a new stadium if the old stadium was wearing down

April 15, 2009 at 8:58 am |

Why would that bank be wasting money on that stadium when it needed bailout money? They should just use the money they're paying to help pay their bail out. If they're going to take our money, they should be using their own too.
    Stadiums don't sound as fun when they're named after companies anyways. I would rather go to Yankee stadium than a stadium named after a corporate business.

April 15, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  35. Anthony

I think that stadiums named after companies is no big deal. I think that if a company offers to pay 400 million dollars in helping build the stadium they deserve the right to have their name on it. It’s just the name of the stadium. The game isn’t played any different.

April 15, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  36. Amy

Yes. Names matter.

So if you name a stadium or performing arts center after a big business or rich industry, then it goes to show what the institution really values. Money.
    It's the places that are named after someone or some event, those are the ones that you can tell that they have their values a little more in the right.
    What you name things matters, because it reflects what you truly value.

April 15, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  37. Tyler

I think the stadiums and arenas named after businesses kind of take away from the team. I believe the name should be something tied to the team that calls that stadium home because if you think about it the only reason that stadium is there is because of the sport and team. I just think college stadium names are much more appealing because almost always they are named after something related to the university or team which gives it a good tradition.

April 15, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  38. Sean

Quite frankly I have no problem with this. All it is, is advertising. If paying to get their name on the stadium helps business get a few extra bucks then I say have at it. The problem I have is with the teams themselves. They get $400,000,000 for their stadium and they jack up the prices to hundreds of dollars. People need cheaper entertainment.

April 15, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  39. Jamie

I don't believe that the name of the stadium really matters all that much. I it brings the company more money then good for them.

April 15, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  40. Darcee=)

I really don't care!!!!

April 15, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  41. matthew

I think it's ok to have a cell phone but you just have to responsible with it.

April 16, 2009 at 8:26 am |
  42. Meghan

The team name should be on the stadium. They are the one that play there so they should get to have their name high above the city.

April 16, 2009 at 9:44 am |
  43. CONAN

I'm not one for sports but I can sniff out pigish greed in a garlic
    Field

BUSSINESSES, IT'S NOT GOO ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!!!

April 16, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  44. Josh

The name might impact some peopleʻs decisions on whether they go to a game or not. But its just a name, you should be going there to see the GAME, not the name of the stadium. It shouldn't matter if the name is named after a bank or not, that's just advertisement. I know it wouldn't impact my decision, I just want to see the game.

April 16, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  45. Brittany

If I was going to go see a sports game somewhere, I would not want to go to a place with a business name. I would rather go to a place called "Tiger Stadium" or "Yankee Stadium". With a business name, the field just sounds boring.

April 16, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  46. Crystal

I think that the pro baseball stadium should be named after the home team. But hey if the baseball team thinks it is a good idea.. then go for it! There paying a lot of money for there name to be there.

April 16, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  47. Samuel

I think they should'nt build it because it's making it more cities
    and more miserable for farmers and there crops.

April 16, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  48. Briana

I don't think the name of the stadium matters as long as you have a good seat and the weather is good. Just enjoy the game!

April 16, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  49. Alexandra

I think that naming baseball stadiums after businesses is a good way of advertising. There is nothing wrong with it, but some people think otherwise.

April 16, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  50. AdAn

Well what is the problem???????? I think that advertisers are supposed to ADVERTISE. PS I WUV YOUR CHEESY PUNS CARRRRRRRLLL azuz

April 16, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  51. sheman

I think that if you guarrentee the money to build a stadium during the recession thats just plain out ridiculous! I wouldnt invest in anthing

April 18, 2009 at 9:22 pm |
  52. robby, Horizonclc

We think that the stadiums and stadiums all around it should be named after the team, but...
    ...it would also mean that the stadium has a lot of money comin' in from wich ever company is paying to name the field......

April 20, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  53. Robert

I don’t believe it is bad for stadiums to be named after businesses. It’s just advertising. We see it everywhere. Advertising is all over the internet, on billboards, on our televisions, even when we go to the theater, so why should it be so bad on a stadium?

April 20, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  54. Mattea

The idea of arenas being named after banks that got billions of money in ballouts is not cool.The question is how will people feel each time they sit down in that arena and "What will they do next,name a whole ocean after a bank that got zillions of dollars in bailouts."That idea is not very cool at all .Now Yankee Stadium I can understand that idea is okay.

April 20, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  55. alex

i think that businesses should be able to put their names on stadiums as long as they don't use the money that they are getting from government bail outs they are going to need the extra advertisement to stay in the green and ride out this problem with our economy and the greatest stadium in America is named after a corporation Wrigley Field Baby

April 20, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  56. Jimmer

I think they should build a CNN Student News Stadium. That would be really cool and i would for sure travel to it to see a game played there. It could be the host to a new sport called Punoff. I also think that the companies that receive bailout money should not be allowed for advertisement. I do not want my tax dollars being spent on something that will not help me in any way. Plus I do not want my tax dollars being spent to help out a sports team that I hate such as the Yankees. These banks should be using this money to pay off their debts and get financially sound before they spend it on more expensive advertising. I think that most Americans, unless they live in a cave or something like that, know what Citi Bank is, so they do not need to spend all of this money on advertising.

On the other hand, I can see their motive on spending the bailout money on expensive advertising. They think that if they spend money on this expensive advertising, then people will notice their company and will purchase their product. This will allow then to make more money than they would have if they spent the bailout money on getting rid of their debts, thus making them more financially sound that ever before.

This way of thinking from the companies could also backfire on them because some people (like me) will only see them using their tax dollars on advertising instead of using them to help themselves out of the financial crisis. These people will be outraged about the whole situation and will never have anything to do with the company again in their lives. These people will also tell their friends about the abuse of companies using their hard earned tax dollars for advertising. These people can also be outraged and will never do business with the company again, thus causing the company to be in a worse financial situation than ever before. Then the government will more than likely bail out this company again and more of our hard earned tax dollars will be spent, causing a larger national debt and the most taxes in the history of mankind.

These are the reasons why I think that the bailout money should not be used for advertising.

P.S. Carl, keep up the good use of the puns!

April 20, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  57. Harrison

I think naming arenas after companies is a smart idea for a team because they get money for it, which in turn they will most likely spend on making their stadium nicer, which in turn will make fan's experiences more enjoyable. Also, after awhile, you get used to it, & sometimes I associate they company name more with the stadium than the actual company. Like for instance, If someone said Tropicana, the Rays would come to my mind a little bit before the orange juice. For a lot of these stadiums, I've never even heard of the company. All in all, I don't think the stadium name affects any part of the experience of going to a sports game.

April 22, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  58. Grace

Those citi group people are just asking for it. I can't believe they needed bailout money and then went and wasted all their money on a baseball stadium, I mean seriously Babe Ruth wouldn't even do it!

April 22, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  59. kaylee

The name i think is important because it tells people what its all about, the name is the first impression people get when they here the name. Remember people people and things within' 7 seconds!!!

P.S. Carl the puns are cheesy but interesting to here them.
    My class always watch it at the end just to here ur puns!!! So keep it up!!!

April 22, 2009 at 2:15 pm |