.
April 14th, 2009

Behind the Sounds

Carl's probably used to hearing voices in his head, but what you hear at the end of Wednesday's show is a real person:  our associate producer (AP), Tomeka!  It gives you an idea of some of the fun we have behind the scenes at CNN Student News.  Some of you have even commented on the other sounds you've heard, from a drum hit to crickets at the end of a Before We Go segment.  If you've got any creative ideas for us, let us know here!

Jeremy Dunn, CNN Student News Producer

Filed under: Behind the scenes
  1. Pierre-Jean

How about this; after Carl put off another joke make an old granny appear and hit him on the head! (CG or real you decide.)

It was REALLY funny to make a real person shout at him. Way to go Tomeka!!!!

^ , ^

April 15, 2009 at 12:25 am |
  2. Pierre-Jean

Or how about this; when he says his joke make a windy sound or make a bird pinch his ear.

April 15, 2009 at 12:27 am |
  3. Kaitlin

does cheese have a sound?

April 15, 2009 at 12:35 am |
  4. Dave

Since wonderful Carl Azuz is a student news reader, he should be allowed to wear anything he wants and not a suit or pant shirt and tie. When there are special holidays he should dress up in a custome like halloween on the news. He also can brink a nice joke of the day before going away. Maybe he should try one time to say the news in a rap music form like they had said the instructions in the aeroplane in rap.

April 15, 2009 at 4:46 am |
  5. Adan

I agree and disagree at the same time. These can be difficult decisions. P.S HI CARL!!!!!!!

April 15, 2009 at 8:06 am |
  6. Sammy

You guys should have a break-dancing competition. Right in the middle of your segment, just break out into dance, and have some grand master flash playing, and start break-dancing. If you did that i would love your news segment forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  7. Laura

That was great. You should add more sound effect to the end of the show. I like when you go t to the iPod but the music is getting old. Why not change the music out once and a while. Or just look up some funny saying and have someone answer you in the background at the end.

April 15, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  8. Adam and Allison

We suggest you break glass, use the sound of a cannon fire, use the sound of a baby crying, or use a cymbal crash. If we could, we'd join you on the student news and show you all the weird noises we could make with our vocal chords.

April 15, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  9. Katie

I personally think that "Yankee Stadium" has a more appealing sound than "Tropicana Feild". Its kind of stupid to name a sports stadium that, it should have to do with actual sports! I mean come on!

April 15, 2009 at 9:40 am |
  10. Nick

You know, Carl, I think the end of the Before We Go segment is great with some funny, weird sounds you made every time.

April 15, 2009 at 9:57 am |
  11. Hunter

I think all the sound you guys use are pretty clever. More music during the different articles would be nice. I think the perfect sound effect would be a drum roll before Carl's daily joke at the end of the show, then follow it up with a "wa-waa-waaa" , because some of those puns are pretty cheesy. But hey, I'm not complaining, Carl's daily puns make my day.

April 15, 2009 at 10:41 am |

I'm suggesting that you break glass. It sounds really funny in the kids eyes. It will also help with keeping people interested.

April 15, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  13. Karisa

Nice comeback by the way but it was kind of scary... I think like when you showed the garden you should of put nature sounds. Also I think instead of your puns at the end of the show maybe you should just play music because everyone likes music.

April 15, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  14. Makayla

Carl, I think you should wear a costume for Halloween, and a bunny outfit for Easter.....LOL!!!!!! It was so hilarious Wednesday when your AP yelled back at you!! You rock Carl Azuz!!

April 15, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  15. Grace

I think that you should have crickets at the end of some puns. Or maybe put a drum roll before the puns. Just some ideas, do something funny!!

April 15, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  16. Logan

I would have them play some sort of drum roll after every news comment. Then I also think that we should have kids come in and share there comments with us. Then I think that on every holiday Carl should have to wear some sort of costume.

April 15, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  17. Sam

Do a Godzilla noise, or a joking drumset noise, or maybe a car screeching noise.

April 15, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  18. josh

I want minds to be on the news

April 15, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  19. samuel

I think that they should put a clown costume on Carl and then get midgets to circle around him at the start of the show and at the end of the show.

April 15, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  20. Jamie

I think you guys should use SOUND EFFECTS!!! 🙂

April 15, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  21. Darcee=)

I think you should do a noise for cheese if there is even a noise for cheese because his puns are cheesy!!!!(i’ll stop watching the show if you take the puns out!) or you could have a man in a skirt come out and yodel or just have Carl do it that would be even better!!!!!!!=)

April 15, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  22. LeBron

Go Carl! Nice sound effects! You should take ideas for puns.

April 15, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  23. Azuzfan

You should do something like that for every show! That was awesome!!

April 15, 2009 at 8:42 pm |
  24. Bharath

hi carl. you should get more puns. make them good this time

April 15, 2009 at 8:45 pm |
  25. kalina & Annie & Cindy

i think you should do something cool like maybe dance a bit or sing to a hannah montana or britney spears song

April 15, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  26. brandy

When you say the joke of the day, or whatever it is called, you need to do the 2 hand hits on the table and then the ssssssss. (ba da sssssss.), confusing right.

April 15, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  27. brandy

You should also start to just get up and start to sing and dance ( you should sing a song from High School Musical 3). Get a girl and start to sing with her.

April 15, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  28. Adan

You should let CARL do his thing! He gotta do what he gotta do!

April 16, 2009 at 8:03 am |
  29. Michael

When Carl makes a joke the sound should say "Ow Carl!" Since thats what we do in class

April 16, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  30. Joshua

why not make any funny sound. many kids think its funny when you black them out with funky noises alot break into laffter

April 16, 2009 at 9:19 am |
  31. Meghan

I think a funny noise for the end of a show is someone snoring. I know it would make me laugh.

April 16, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  32. Meghan

I think you should add a sound that would make children laugh like a fart or something.

April 16, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  33. CONAN

ANIMAL NOISES

April 16, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  34. Alexander

I think you guys should add a dun dun duuun after when you guys are talking about a bad thing that has happened. That would be kind of cool. Why won't you gus pick me?¿

April 16, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  35. Kaitlyn

You could do a science experiment on the show. Or show a funny joke that someone came up with. You could show a video off of Planets funniest home videos that was really funny to you,

April 16, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  36. Ryan

I thing you should get bells and whistles for something about inventing. You could also get more funny noises. Like a donkey.

April 16, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  37. Cheyanne

well the sound at first scared me I can agree with Carl On that One The sound of the Tomeka chick's voice yea that did make me jump a little!

April 16, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  38. Samantha

I think he should do a girl voice because it would be funny to hear a guy to speak like a girl

April 16, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  39. Drew

I think what would be a good sound is a cat and dog sounds.

April 16, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  40. Shawn

well i can make a sound that will make u g deaf SCREECHHHHH

April 16, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  41. Devin

I think that all minds should be on the news right now at this point and time

April 16, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  42. Madi

i don't really know, just make it funny!

April 16, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  43. Leanna :-)

Wow! If only you didn't have to look at her...

April 16, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  44. jack

when carls cracks one of his jokes have that rejected or failure noise, it would also be cool if like u had a theme song. when u do the shout out, also have a backround of kids shouting

April 16, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  45. Hannap

Mr.Grimes likes your punns but, Mr.Mocas just laughs at Mr.Grimes for laughing at them. HahaHaHa And Have a better Punn to make Mr.Mocas Laugh!!!!!

April 16, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  46. salena

well, i think you guys should create a poll for the most popular song of the day and play it at the end of you next segment.

April 16, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  47. Briana

There should be a drum sound after Carl says his joke!!!

April 16, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  48. Briana

Make a pig sound PIGS RULE!!!

April 16, 2009 at 6:48 pm |

An idea for future episodes could be to have an animal to do with a pun, or even have a whole bunch of papers or confetti drop from the ceiling.

April 16, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  50. Bill

How about using your mad computer technology and a green screen and have Carl on the empire state building or his head grow/shrink and his voice could do the same!

April 16, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  51. Daniel

Well, you could try the old BA-DUM CRASH! that you usually hear someone play on the drums at comedy clubs after someone says a joke. Or people booing in the background whenever Carl does a PUN at the end of the show (no offense Carl). But the greatest thing of all would be to make Carl inhale the stuff people put in ballons, helium, to make them float, so his voice would be high pitched and really squeaky!!!

April 16, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  52. chad

can you put a yawning sound at the end some times thanks.

April 16, 2009 at 9:11 pm |
  53. AdAn

WELL, CARL i think that YOU should make a a weird guy voice strecthing out this word:CHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

haha we loves ya carl

April 16, 2009 at 9:16 pm |
  54. ashlea

i think cell phones are not bad when you need one(an emergency) but not when you are texting and talking on it all the time.

April 16, 2009 at 9:23 pm |
  55. Mr. Mellors Class

we think that a cool sound a effect would fake people laughing behide the scenes after a joke becaise you should get credit fo your funny jokes. -fake people laughing hard-

April 16, 2009 at 9:30 pm |
  56. Ryane

Animal sounds are always great – frogs, turkeys. How 'bout some sci-fi sounds like a UFO hovering?

April 17, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  57. heather

i argee with that i think it will be a very funny thing

April 17, 2009 at 2:15 pm |

I think that it will be very funny

April 20, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  59. Campbell

DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 21, 2009 at 12:58 am |
  60. cody

you guys should have a live band , or at least a rim shot at the end of your jokes. also at the end of your corny jokes crickets.

April 22, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  61. Grace

you should totally make a chicken beam in from a alien space ship and then the chicken should start singing the chipmunk song.

April 22, 2009 at 9:41 am |