.
April 8th, 2009

$4,800 in Text Messages

A few of you wrote on a previous blog that you could easily text more than 10,000 messages per month.  I have no idea how, but you either have unlimited texting on your phones, or you're about to get a punishment like the 13-year-old featured in Thursday's show!

Her parents disabled [smashed] the phone, reprimanded [grounded] the teen, and they're all learning [paying] a lesson:  Don't send thousands of texts without a texting plan.  And if your grades go down when texting goes up, it might be a good idea to wait until you're home before you light up the keyboard.

Here's what I wanna know:  Is texting even allowed in your classes?  If it isn't, could you still text 700 messages a day after school?

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Taryn

NO txting is no allowed in my school but you still see teens txting during class and some of the kids dont get cought and some do. i think that txting is ok but why txt during school shouldnt learning and grades and a education come before the phone? and yes i know some people who txt over 700 messages a DAY so yes you could

April 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  2. wagari

oh my god how in the world do you dend 700 text messages in 1 day i feel bad for the parents but i wish i was there to watch her send 700 texts in one day i barly text 5 per month she shoul be guinns book of world record. WOW

April 9, 2009 at 1:39 am |
  3. Pierre-Jean

Why people want to send such a lot I CAN'T UNDERSTAND!!!!

I mean why should you send over 10,000 text messages when you have 10,000 tons of homework? If you wanna enjoy by using your thumbs sore and get addicted by electromagnetic field of cell phones. go to a nuclear energy plant and get some microwaves on you. Now THAT would get rid of one person who wants to use money like that.
    Good for the world!

(Au contrair, that would be a big loss to communication companies.)

April 9, 2009 at 2:33 am |
  4. Nick

$4,800 in text messages? Oh, my ! The only I wanna say that it's a real big money waster ! I won't send 700 messages a day after school, even if I'm allowed.

April 9, 2009 at 2:52 am |
  5. Alisskay

My teacher snatches the cellphone away when she spots it. We're supposed to have it off, but ever since we became sixth graders, kids are taking out their cellphones frequently, and many are unnoticed. My cellphone has a limited amount of points that you use as money. when you use all of the points, you can't phone or text somebody unless you pay for more points(i never payed for more points!). Luckily, I am not that obsessed about my phone as other kids are, and my phone bill is always the same.

April 9, 2009 at 3:32 am |
  6. Matt

OMG I have a blackberry and i cant even text that much i text mabye 300 a month and recieve 300

April 9, 2009 at 6:26 am |
  7. Chaz

10,000 a month I barley text 500 a month that is not possible!

April 9, 2009 at 8:16 am |
  8. taylor

I think that the girl that sent 4000 text messages has alot of free time on her hands i also think that it is funny that the dad hit the phone with a hammer.

April 9, 2009 at 8:57 am |
  9. Chris

Testing is not aloud at my school but people do it anyway. I could send over 700 meaasges a day if I was feeling like it.

April 9, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  10. Amy

The problem isn't if texting is allowed or not, because my school prohibits the use of cell phones during school hours. My principal has been incredibly gracious with cell phones, where taking them up and giving them back is concerned, but still. Most teachers have seemed to lose interest, don't care, and so don't take them up, which then gives the illusion that students can text to their hearts content during school hours. Failing their classes, but keeping up with someone else in some other class, school or home.

I have friends that have become ridiculously addicted to their cell phones, not even being able to stop texting for 15 minutes, so afraid that they will miss someting, or "something terrible will happen and no one will be able to get a hold of me". Somtimes I wish that cell phone towers would just crash to the sea (or ground) and for a whole day, or a whole week, or even a month, cell phone use would cease.
    How wonderful that would be. Because, people are connectedly disconnected. What's the good in that?
    Face-to-face communication is going down the drain.

A teacher at my school has installed a certain kind of transmitting device that difuses all cell phone signals in his classroom. He teaches in one of the portables, which I think is why he can do it, but all throughout his class, unless he turns the transmitter off, all cell phone activity is nonexistent. Then, when he is finished teaching, he lets students use their phones, because the whole point of NOT having them is so that you can learn. Once all that is to teach has been taught, why not?

The problem, is that with or without a rule, people will use their cell phones and text because they don't care, they don't respect teachers.
    What do you think?

April 9, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  11. pablo sanchez

i think people should just stop taxes.

April 9, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  12. Sage

Kids in my school text all the time. They even get calls sometimes and everyone starts laughing, but the teachers are usually nice and let them turn it off without getting them in trouble. I have friends who text 1000s of times in a month and get their phone taken away, but they find where their parents hid it and keep texting. All my friends are pretty addicted to texting.

April 9, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  13. Mrs. Evans

We think parents should be more responsible to know the phone plans and make sure their children know the rules if they are going to buy their child a phone. Come on Parents.....You have to do a better job!

My students also say that all those text messages were "BARBANGISH!!" (It means gorilla like) LOL

Mrs. Evans 6th Grade Class

April 9, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  14. Robbie

I think cell phones should not be allowed in class unless you are finished with all of your work. You should also be able to use them at lunch.....after all, it is your free time

April 9, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  15. Tanner

I think cell phones should be allowed in school because if you have a family emergancy during class your parents could get a hold of you easier

April 9, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  16. Preston

I think that cell phones should be used during everything other than tests and exams.Kids should be able to make there own decisions about it.If there grades drop,let the parents take over.Texting is just an other way to communicate.It should be aloud in everything but tests and exams

April 9, 2009 at 11:46 am |

I think that people should be aloud to have cell phones at school, but only use them at responsible times. When you have all of your homework done is a very good time.

April 9, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  18. Jennifer

I think that we should have restrictions for cell phones in school. My parents threaten to take my cell phone away if I don't have good grades; and it works!

April 9, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  19. Bethanny

Texting is allowed in my school, but only before and after school and during lunches. They did this because people would text under the desks and in the bathroom! They figured if they couldn't stop us from texting, then they would try and regulate our texting.

April 9, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  20. Jen Jen

I hardly send 3 or 4 texts a day, and I dont have unlimited. I have to text like crazy to use up all my minutes at the end of the month.

April 9, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  21. Madi

I would be soooooooo embarassed if that happened to me! I don't think her dad should have smashed the phone either, they should have just set her phone plan so that she couldn't send anymore text.

April 9, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  22. Madi

They should just set her plan to unlimited texting, it's only 5$ more, and not let her bring her phone to school anymore...problem solved!

April 9, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  23. Leanna :)

That's really embarrassing for the girl. But then again she shouldn't have sent that many texts when she knew she wasn't aloud to. But that is kind of a harsh punishment... put her on live television and smash her phone... man!!!

April 9, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  24. Adam

I don't even have a cell phone, but then again, I don't really want one that badly. And about the $4,000: that's more than my father makes in a year, but right now I have straight A's! Besides, I can't even figure out a dishwasher, let alone a cell phone.

April 9, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  25. Megan & Fancy

10,000 text messages?!?!?!? Wow. I wonder who she talked to so much! And Dad, you just destroyed the evidence to a new world record.... Most expensive text messaging phone!

April 9, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  26. Jake

It's not allowed, but student's are rarely caught doing it. I see plenty of other kids texting during class. I can also still see 700 texts being sent after school, especially if someone would be having multiple conversations.

April 9, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  27. JJ

I think the teenager's texting bill is up the highest that I have ever seen. I think that when the dad destroid the cell phone I think that was what my dad would have done the same thing.

April 9, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  28. Madi and Magana6

Texting is not allowed in classes (most do it anyway) and we do not think we would be able to send 700 texts after school, if we could they probably wouldn't make alotta sense.

April 9, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  29. Heather and Micayla

700 text messages a day WOW!!!!!!! Text messages is not allowed at are school and we would not be able to text 700 text messages after school either. If our parents saw we texted 700 message a day, we would probably, no definatly grounded. On my cellphone I only get 250 text messages a month.$4,800 is alot of money for text messages.

April 9, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  30. Caleb

Texting in school is stupid because it can hurt your grades and your pocket!!! I have a phone and i only get 200 a month and i don't even use all of them so i can't imagine how she use 4,800 in one month.If i did that i would not be here today.!

April 9, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  31. Joe

it was a good idea that the dad smashed the phone

April 9, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  32. Sharne'

Texting is not allowed in my school, nor should it be allowed in any school. I think that it's terrible that the teachers are not paying attention to what she was doing in class. So yeah, she got all Fs on her report card, but it's not like the teachers care of they don't care about her vigorous texting in class! Also, how in the world can you send 700 texts in one day? That's just really awkward in itself.....

April 9, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  33. Mrs. Tucker's Class

Here we do not allow cell phones in the classroom. Therefore, of course we do not text during class time.
    We think that many texts is unacceptable.
    Some of us think there should be a limit to the amount of texting allowed per day. Why did the dad have to smash the phone instead of just returning the phone to the store? Maybe it should be against the law to text in school. Texting should be only allowed after school and after you do your homework.
    And what were her teachers doing while she was texting all day long in school

April 9, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  34. larry

When i think about text messages I think of my sister in high school and please can u put this up on cnn student news

April 9, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  35. Samer

Dang thats crazy. i got a phone but it is not that crazy of a bill for me. That is one bad but cool in a kind of way. who knew it can right back at yeah.thats why i got unlimited talk and text beat that for sure. Maybe it is time for someone to rake care of there reponsebilties

April 9, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  36. sarahi

i think texting is fun talking to my friends but if my grades are going down and the bills are going up i'll be in massive trouble with my parents for the rest if the year

April 9, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  37. Jesse

Texting isn't normal allowed in my school, but some of our teachers don't mind us doing it as long as we get our work done or we are not doing anything important. Even if we didn't i think that some of the kids at our school could, actually, text 700 message after school.

April 9, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  38. kohl

I think kids should have cell phones so they can get ahold of there parents. I think texting should not be aloud in school. You are already with your friends so why would you need to text them.

April 9, 2009 at 3:38 pm |

i think that cell phones should only be allowed in between classes, at lunch, and before and after school so u can get a hold of your parents. Because if we could text during classes then people would be payin more attention to their phones than to their teachers. so no one would be learning!!!!!! UH OH!!

April 9, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  40. Cayla :)

I think there should be no cell phones in class because you can't get all the info from the teacher if you are doing something else, like texting.

April 9, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  41. Nick

Its not allowed in my classes..and i dont think i could do 700 messages a day..

April 9, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  42. larry

wow $ 4,800 dollars wow I guess there parents have to work overtime

April 9, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  43. Michael

Although my school doesnt allow texting, I still do it anyway. It doesn't affect my grade because I know when and when not to text. But, i send over 14,000 texts a month, so I could easily send 700 after school.

April 9, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  44. Cayla :)

No,texting isn't alowed in our classes. Cell phones aren't even allowd in class and I don't think i could text THAT much after school.

April 9, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  45. Kodi

I think we should be able to use cell phones in class just after the teacher is done talking and when we are done with our work and when we have free time in the class. If we could do that we would also have to keep up on our school work and make sure our grades stay from a low C and up.

April 9, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  46. Lupita

I think that sending messages in class will be sweet but it's not like you will learn anything by texting. Just remember, if I am texting with someone special, (family, best friends, or even bf's 'boyfriends/girl friends) in case of an emergency , than it doesn't mean that i will text my life!!!1(MAYBE SO.)

April 9, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  47. sarahi

texting isn't allowed in my classes to send 700 text a day maybe he dint go to slepp

April 9, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  48. Greg

I think that people who have cell phones are able to have them in class, but only turn them on or text when you have free time.
    If you were able to have cell phones in class you shouldn't be able to be texting or taking pictures while the teacher is talking or if you have to do your work.

April 9, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  49. Jose'

i don't have a phone so i don't know what it's like. but id probably type right after i leave school, and it'd probably be about what i'll do and how dramatic some of the girls in my class are. ; )

April 9, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  50. Rene

I think that the the 13 year old teenager should have learned a lesson because she texted without permission. I also think that she should have gotten a bigger punishment then just a broken cell phone and about a few weeks of being grounded. Even when she got a text bill of $4,800.

April 9, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  51. larry

I predict that when you text once you will never stop....

April 9, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  52. Hector

I think that she could text as much as she wants to,but she going to have to pay the cell phone bill not the parents.

April 9, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  53. Sabrina

I would spend more time on my work in school than on my cell phone. But my opinion is not hers so I can't make up her mind for her.

April 9, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  54. Jennyfer

Texting in class is not allowed in my school. NO you can't text 700 messages a day after school I think it is impossible!! If you want a phone I think you should get a job to pay for it!!

April 9, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  55. larry

wow $ 4,800 dollars I guess her parents gonna work overtime.

April 9, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  56. mariana

Texting is not allowed in my class or school. No i cant send 700 messages after school because i don't have a phone. But who ever has a phone shouldn't send 700 messages because of the bills they have to pay.

April 9, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  57. frank

texting is not allowed in our class because we care about education enough to not even dare to text in class or out of class until school is over. And no I would not want to text 700 messages after school because i have a limit amount of texts in my parents phone.

April 9, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  58. Sabrina

I don't think that it was really her fault because the parent should not have gave her the phone at an early age.

April 9, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  59. Brandon

That was good her dad smashed the phone for a reason.

April 9, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  60. larry

texting in my school is not allowed because when a teacher spot a phone they say"put the phone in your backpack or it's mine"

April 9, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  61. Luz

I don`t think that she send 700 messages and it was the fall of their parents because they bought her the phone.

April 9, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  62. luis

How can a 13 year old teenager text 700 messages in a day?it was both of there fault,parents and daughter. the daughter of cores she was not smart to not text to much,the parent should not buy her a cell phone until she was older...

April 9, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  63. Jennifer

First I think that the father should of not gave her the phone and she is only 13 she should be having a phone when she is 18 or 19 years old ad she should not be in he house for the whole school year maybe a month or 2.She has never had a phone and I under stand that was me last year!

April 9, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  64. Hector

I think that girl should be taught a lesson and not have a phone until she's 18. I also think that the grounding for the rest of the shool year was okay.

April 9, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  65. sonia

in my school texting is not allowed... I think texting is a waste of time.. I am happy texting is NOT allowed in school I don't think anybody in my school would want F's on there report card.. 😦

April 9, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  66. lover

First I think that the dad should of not have gotten her that cell phone because she is only 13 years old.I think she did that because she has never had a cell phone!

April 9, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  67. Elizabeth

I am at school and her if a teacher catches you with a phone they are aloud to take the phone away from you. Even thou we are not aloud to have phones people still bring them to school. The problem with all the texting the girl did i would not want to bring my phone to school!

April 9, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  68. Daniel

I don't think it's her fault. It should be the parents fault for not checking up on the bill and not checking on there daughters texting

April 9, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  69. ehkler

texting is not allowed in our school

April 9, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  70. Janie

I believe that it is better to pay $15 for unlimited texting than to get a bill later for several thousand dollars. The parents should have taken action and monitered the actions of this teenager closer.

April 9, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  71. Jenna

I don't have a cell phone of my own, but the few times that I have texted it was fun, I lienjoy doing it, but I don't think I could text 10,000 in text messeges in one month. I think that the parents should have been more clear to thier daughter on the fact that they didn't have a texting plan.

April 9, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  72. Brian

I don't have a cell phone, but i won't text 10,000 times to my friends. My parents would get really mad at me.

April 9, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  73. Karalena

Oh gosh no! If we do our phones get taken away! I don't even have texting on my phone. I think I am lucky because then I will not have to worry about getting addicted to TEXTING!

April 9, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  74. Shanice

If the plan had no texting then why is the cell phone company letting kids text when it is not on they're plan?

Then that little girl wouldn't have had her phone smashed...I feel bad for her :] lol

April 9, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  75. Brooke

Phones are not aloud during classes at my school. You can have them out until 7:45. Then if you are caught with them after that, a teacher can take it away, and hold it tell 3:00

April 9, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  76. Utau

C...C...C....COSA?! (Italian for: WHAT?!) That's insane! No one needs to be texting that much it's ridiculous!! And texting isn't allowed in my classes but people do it anyway! It's dumb! You don' need to rely on texting! I say: Try email, at least that's FREE!!! And that way you can say a lot more! I for one don't text nor do I have a need too, and do not understand those who have an obsession with it, quite frankly it's kinda 'sad' for lack of a better word, that they cannot go without texting. And, 10,000 a MONTH? Beyond ridiculous!! There are more important things besides texting you know.

~Utau

April 9, 2009 at 7:08 pm |
  77. Josh

I really think its a bit ridiculous to think that your going to get away with sending 10,000+ texts. Adding the fact that she disregarded her contract with the cell company, some of that debt may be penalties. I think it was perfectly right what they did to her phone, and a text-free school will, and should, probably come sooner than we think, and want it to.

April 9, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  78. Matthew

That is obsessive texting. We aren't even allowed to have cell phones at our school. I am still better at typing then texting. My fingers hurt when I text.

April 9, 2009 at 7:54 pm |
  79. Alana

My school doesn't allow texting during school hours. But, still some kids at my school do text. I have a phone, but I don't text during school hours. It's best to do the right things. That's why I've never gotten my phone taken away. I have an unlimited texting plan too, but I do understand how everyone texts 600 times a day! I only send about 50-100!

April 9, 2009 at 8:16 pm |
  80. Daken

I couldn't text 700 texts in 1 week let alone in a day and if i did i would be grounded for who knows how long.

April 9, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  81. Ryan

At my school, we don't even get to text. In one of my math classes, there was this one girl that was caught texting in the class. Me, I wouldn't text AT ALL. I barely text at home. If I do, its either one of my friends or its my parents.

April 9, 2009 at 9:30 pm |
  82. brandon

how can she do that when i seen the show i was judt thinking of hoe some one can so that i only have 1,000 in a month in and hardly that

April 9, 2009 at 9:36 pm |
  83. evan

if they put that phone she had that her dad smashed up on ebay please notifiy me i might be interested in a purchase!

April 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  84. Rachel

I don't blame her. If I were her, i'd probably do the same thing. I'm just still not aloud to text. So... no texting right now.

April 9, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  85. Simone

No texting aloud at my school. I wish that they would allow it. Only until college. That's when the good grades come in handy.

April 9, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  86. Charles

700 texts a day! if my fingers could only go that fast. If only there was texting at my school. Only until college. Thats when the good grades come in handy.

April 9, 2009 at 11:01 pm |

Texting really isn't allowed ina school. We aren't supposed to have our phones on during school. Buuuut...... I could easily send over a thousand texts a day... haha...

April 9, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  88. Neil

Texting to much is crazy. she should learn to be disiplined. She should also have thought about her actions

April 10, 2009 at 12:05 am |
  89. Matt

The girl should be grounded for sure. She should have to pay for it. My brother only texts 500 texts a month! Not 700 in a day!!!

April 10, 2009 at 12:16 am |
  90. Dakota

That's just plain crazy!

April 10, 2009 at 12:43 am |
  91. Mr.Jones 5th grade classroom

If I were her parents I would forbid from going outside the house! How can someone spend that much on texting??

April 10, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  92. Maya

Its her fault! She knew she wasnt supposed to text. If I were her mom or dad I would make her pay for the bill.

April 10, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  93. LaKora

if that were my cellphone bill, I be grounded for life.

April 10, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  94. George

Phones + my school = Big no no. Can't have it out anytime on the School Grounds unless you're coming back from a club after school to get your parent to get you, but you're still expected to use the office phone. And for the texting, I couldn't do that. I don't text much anyways.

April 10, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  95. christina

in my class we are not allowed to have phones out but ive seen people with them out... if i had a phone i would
    wait til i get on the bus or til i get home...

April 10, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  96. Andy

My school does not allow cellphones at all but i know a lot of people including myself who still could

April 10, 2009 at 7:41 pm |
  97. Melissa

Texting is not allowed at our school, somehow the kids still get by with it. If they get caught they usually get their phone taken away then they can't get it back until a parent comes into get it. I text a lot, but not during school.

April 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  98. Krista

I think that if you love texting then get unlimted text it dosn't cost you 4,800 dollars! I send 2,000 texts a month and it only costs $6.99.

April 11, 2009 at 12:49 am |
  99. Paige

well that's ALOT of texts!!!!!!! i dont even hav a phone but i ext on my friends and she does n't send that much texts!!! lol k g2g bi ps. cnn rocks!

April 11, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  100. chris

if i had text on my phone my dad and mom would keep checking the how many texting i have

April 11, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  101. Anna

That is wow how could you do that. If I did that I would be dead I would not be able to do any thing my mom and dad would take every thing away. My parents flip over 1000 txts so i would be living off of a pb&j.

April 11, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  102. savannah

We are not allowed to text in school but still students sneek their hone anyways and hope they get a seat in the back of the classroom!

April 11, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  103. Lizzie

Texting isn't allowed during school where i go, but i know everyone does it. I know I send about 8,500 to 9,000 a month. But I do text during school. So for me, yes 700 texts is possible, but maybe for others no..

April 11, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  104. Drew

700 text messages a day? That's ridiculous! Some people need to get a life!

April 11, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  105. Matthew

Texting is not allowed at my school....and i don't think i could do 700 texts. i have other things to do

April 11, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  106. Charly

Texting this much is going way to overboard.

April 11, 2009 at 8:27 pm |
  107. dave

no it is not allowed in my classes but in the breaks many of them do it in recess time and in school buses.

April 12, 2009 at 2:41 am |
  108. Rachel

No, texting is not allowed in our school; all electronics are banned. So if an adult finds you with a ringing cell or listening to a nano at lunch-BUSTED!
    However, we smart students have various ways of escaping those hands taking away our beautiful treasures. (Under the desk, in the bathroom, etc.)

Yet in the end, we always get caught. It's only a matter of time; how long it takes for that teacher over there to notice....
    So you know what, guys? Just don't text. (Unless it's the package thing that comes with your cell and the bill wouldn't be like $5000!!!)

p.s.: I have a phone, don't text. and the bill is all right. 🙂

April 12, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  109. Leyia

Texting is not allowed in my school, but that doesn't mean kids don't still do it. If I had a cell phone, which I don't, i probably wouldn't send
    700 text message in one day.

April 12, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  110. josh

well their are reasons for a non texting plan and this is the down fall to it

April 12, 2009 at 4:18 pm |

Texting isn't allowed at my school, but tons of kids still do it. Some teachers care more than others. I have an unlimited texting plan, and I could easily text over 700 messages a day, excluding school hours. It takes talent :]

April 12, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  112. christina

not at all.. we are not allowed to text during classes
    if teachers see us texting they will take our phones away
    if they even think your using them then they will get taken away!

April 12, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  113. Ally

Sending 1 or 2 messages are ok, but sending that much..
    I can under stand why her dad smashed her phone.

April 12, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  114. Ms. Hills' Social Studies Classes

My middle school students agree that sending that many texts would be easy to do. it amazes me. Our students are not allowed to have their phones in the classroom with them, so I think this would be a really hard thing to do.

Please give my classes a shout-out if possible at the beginning of your show. They are waiting to hear.

Thanks,
    Ms. Hills Social Studies classes

April 13, 2009 at 2:31 am |
  115. colin

how could you receve that many in one day unless its after school. we can't have our cell phones at our school

April 13, 2009 at 8:57 am |
  116. Alexander

Texting isn't and would never be allowed in class at my school. My teachers are way too strict. And I could never text that many messages after school, it's impossible!

April 13, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  117. Devin

Phones are not allowed in my school but a lot of people do it any ways and we all do it at recess most of time and i really don't think that that is a lot.

April 13, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  118. Josh

Texting is not allowed in any of our classes. The teachers say that you shouldn't even have phones with you in school. Yes, I could probably still send 700 messages when I get home.

April 13, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  119. Brittney

Who couldn't seriously. I send over 10 thousand a month ( thats what the bill says) but I think it has to be more. I send over 700 an hour. I know that texted isn't allowed but everyone does it anyways.

April 13, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  120. Brittany

In our school texting isn't allowed in class. But when I get home I do some texting. Not a lot thought, because I spend a lot of my time in sports. But I would have to say I sent and receive about 400 messages every day days, during the school week. Weekends are a different story...

April 13, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  121. brady

Texting is not allowed in are school. Kids still manage to do it though. They will hide their phones in their book during reading time, or hide it under their laptop.

April 13, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  122. Cheyanne

I think this text messaging is on everyone's plans now an days because I have Text on my plan because my mom got it for me an Yea I think this text messaging should be aloud on beaks that we have between every Class i mean you have 5 minutes to do what you want in those 5 minutes to text call got to the bathroom anything you need to get for the next class I mean that my make the tardy rate go up but that is the Students Own Problem when they get in trouble.

April 13, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  123. Crystal

Wow, text is getting used way to much, I mean I text but not 10,000 a month, I could text that much but I don't. Some people just need to get a life, texting has even become wide spread in my school people text during class (though it is not aloud).

April 13, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  124. Sami

That is CRAZY! I text a lot. But not that much

April 13, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  125. Ino

as a student i think you shouldn't be able to text in school because then u cant focus on your work and then you wont learn so thing

April 13, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  126. carley

i usually have about 8000 texts a month so thats about 300 texts a day and thats without txting during school so i can see how she could get 700 a day. but idk y she would do that if she knew she wasnt supposed to txt and how much common sense do you need to figure out nothing in this world is free!?

April 13, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  127. Rhea

No electronics are allows in school (except for computers, etc., nu dur) but at least once every day, I see one kid in class texting someone. It kinda bothers me but -hey- I know how it feels to get caught with something, and I don't even HAVE a cellphone. I don't even have an iPod...

April 13, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  128. jessica

no and no

April 13, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  129. jessica

no and no and how thats even possible?

April 13, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  130. Tara

I think anybody with a addiction to text messages needs help. Its phone used to call people. And also if you know that text messages is not on your plan(*hint hint your parents dont want you to text*)dont do it. She deseverses no phine!

April 13, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  131. Seth

No were not alowed to text in my class, and no i coldn't and not just
    because I don't have a cellpone.

April 13, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  132. clinton

i cant believe that she sent that many without knowing she didn't have unlimited texting.

April 13, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  133. Kristina

Ok, in my school, texting is not allowed. Your not even allowed to have your phone or else you get it taken away, once when i was texting i got a little over hand and went over by $300 i though that was alot, but after i heard that i was like WOW, i am not bad at all. And my 2nd period class watches you all the time and the teacher is crazy about you! like really she wont shut up about her name being said on air, so i was wondering, could you please give a shout out to Mrs. Casey's 2nd period class! thank you!

April 13, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  134. Danielle

Of course we aren't allowed to text in class... and I haven't heard of one school that does allow it.

April 13, 2009 at 8:02 pm |
  135. Alec

I couldn't even believe sending that many text messages. That would be unthinkable in my school.

Where are you Carl? Was it something I said? Please come back!
    We miss you!

April 13, 2009 at 9:06 pm |

That is Rediculous. Texting isn't allowed in school, mostly because of cheating. However, i don't know why you would want to ever text that much. You would spend your whole time texting and no time with friends, family, or things that truely matter.

April 13, 2009 at 9:08 pm |
  137. La-a

we are not allowed to text in my classes
    and even if i were allowed to, i still couldnt text 700 messages in 24 hours

April 14, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  138. Evan

I am a student and texting is not allowed at all. Your not even allowed to have a cell phone in the school building, but if you do and you are caught with one then you can kiss your cell goodbye till the end of the day. We actually have rules to having cell phones, The first time you are caught the teacher keeps it until the end of the day, second time you are caught your cell phone is taken away and your parents have to come and get it from the office.

April 14, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  139. Meghan

Texting is not allowed at my school. Even though I don't text in school, i can easily send 700 messages after school. If you start texting more than one friend at once, the texts add up. I think all teens should have unlimited texting because if you don't, it adds up the bill. I have yet to meet a parent who enjoys getting a couple hundred dollar bill.

April 14, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  140. Harrison

I dont even have a phone but $4800 dollars in texts sounds crazy and if you have that much time on your hands you proably need to be doing something other than texting.

April 14, 2009 at 9:27 am |
  141. Sophia

In my school texting or calling or anything to do with sell phones is not permitted. I wonder how she texted 700 times a day!

April 14, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  142. ruby

i love to txt but i dont love it that much!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

April 14, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  143. LayLa

I have unlimited texting and its easier and cheeper to text then call people. Plus its way more funer.

April 14, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  144. Aryanna

I think that is alot of money to be texting but I can't say anything because if I had a cell phone the bill would probley be somewhere around there. But we are not suppose to text in school because we get to distracted by it and we won't pay attention.

April 14, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  145. Mckenna

I don't know how people can text none stop. The phone bill will raise.. and most people don't have money to pay off their phone bill.

April 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  146. Jared

Texting is not allowed in my school but I could still easily text over 700 a night. And remember most of the time people that text that much their plan counts the texts that they receive also. But I could easily text that many times in a day outside of school. I have over 80 people in my contacts and many of them have texting.

April 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  147. Travis!!!

No we are not allowed to text in my classroom and I have unlimited texting but i still think that i could not send that many messages.

April 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  148. Abby

AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THAT IS FREAKING CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

April 14, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  149. Guadalupe

WOW!!!!!!
    The highest i ever had to pay for texting too much was $8 bucks. If that girl was my daughter she wouldn't be grounded, she would get a job and pay half of it off!

April 14, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  150. Kayla

WOW! Someone really had a $4,800 phone bill?? They have NO life!! If I was their parents they would find some kind of job, since they are only 13 years-old, and pay for the bill that is their fault. I could never text that much, I hate texting, to me it is dumb unless you need to ask someone a quick question and you cant call them or something but other than that I would rather talk to someone on the phone instead of sitting in class failing my class because you are texting someone else. Texting is not allowed at my school if you are caught doing it, your phone is taken up, which I believe is a good idea, because you should be studying and learning!!

April 15, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  151. Mike

i pwn n00bs at txt msging dont hate on a k1d fo txtn in cl@$$

April 15, 2009 at 8:57 am |
  152. Joshua

Texting is not aloud at school. But most kids today are really good at texting without being seen doing it. Most guys in my school can text with the phone in thier pocket, becasue they know with letters on with keys and know how many times to hit it. Then most of the girls with are the best at texting can do it inside thier bags that they carry around. But any that can text 700 message in one school day at school grades most suck and they have no life.

April 15, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  153. Patrick

Even if texting was allowed in my classes, there is no way i could text that much. I hardly ever text and my friends know that if they want something, they had better call me to avoid waiting the extra half hour for me to text back. Besides, texts just aren't really that personal. I'd much rather hear someone than imagine if they're being sarcastic or happy or whatever.

April 15, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  154. Michael

Nowadays I believe that people with unlimited texting should be the only people who text. If you don’t have a certain plan that helps pay for unlimited texts, then you should not text at all. People who text usually become addicted to it and end up texting more than they should.

April 15, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  155. Jessica

Texting is definitly not allowed in my school. If you get caught with your phone out, its taken and you're given saturday school. That doesnt really stop anyone though- you just learn to text without getting caught. I don't think I know anyone who doesnt text in school- and though i dont think i could send that many in a school day, i know people who could, and probably do.

April 15, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  156. Nell

How does one manage to even send that many messages a day? It seems impossible. What happened to the days when someone would pick up the phone and call, or walk over to their house and talk, or send a letter via passenger pigeon?

April 15, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  157. Ross

I think that it is crazy that the kid would text so much in the first place when she knew she did not have a texting plan. The parents should also be to blame because they were not keeping track of what she was doing on her cell phone. One thing’s for sure though, why is texting so much anyways? Doesn’t the carrier already get millions of dollars from calls? Something as small as texting is, can’t be free. It never is.

April 15, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  158. Stephanie

That's rediculous. At our school if they even see your phone, iPod, any technical device besides your calculator it is taken up and you recieve immediate saturday school. That's not the best part about our school, when they take your phone they go through your texts to see what other student you were texting! Busted!

April 15, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  159. Pedro

To much texting can hurt your hands.

April 15, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  160. Jamie

WOW! Don't get me wrong i love to text, but 10,000 texts per month is ridiculious! I barly text 150 a month.

April 15, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  161. Pierre-Jean

The girl is just plain crazy and the school allowing textings are insane too. Dang it. My comments never get on the show.

April 16, 2009 at 2:40 am |
  162. seth

Our solders should be honored and not spit on. That is disrespect to our solders.

April 16, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  163. kristen

That is really crazy, and I thought I texted too much. Guess I was wrong. Wow that's just dumb. I do not even bring my cell phone to school.

April 16, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  164. Dani

I don't have a cell phone but I'm trying to get one of either my parents or my brothers old phones. Both my parents and my big brother have new phones. They are the same kind of phones. They're still trying to figure them out. They just got them yesterday. They don't have to pay very much for texting because they have unlimitted texting. They usually only use about 10 to 20 minutes of about 700 minutes on they're phones every month because only my dad uses the cell phone to talk. Everyone but my dad just text. My brother is the one that texts the most out of my whole family. I don't think I've ever seen him without the phone in his hand for 15 minutes. He almost never talks on the phone. He doesn't even use the home phone very much. He uses at least 3,000 texts pure month not counting the ones that have gets in when his friends text him.

April 16, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  165. Annalise

texting isn't allowed in this school and it is a good idea because your in school to learn not to talk to your friends that is what the weekend is for. yes you probably could text that much after school because when you are texting them non-stop than there is no reason to need your cell phone during school. It's not right if I say my kid doing that I would take away there cell phone also.

April 16, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  166. keolina

i can't amagine someone with a $4,800 dallor texting bill! i don't a cell phone but from the looks of this i don't think i really want one

April 16, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  167. Victoria&&matthew

heyy:))
    && yea you can text 700, and no texting not allowed in mi school but i do it during electives lunch && 3rd block

April 16, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  168. Sammy from Mr. Casario's class

Wow now that is alot of texts. I send alot of texts my self but not that many... I guess that girl is not getting a phone in the future!

April 16, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  169. brandy

Texting is not allowed, but if i really tried I bet I could but the people in my contact list would get very mad.

April 16, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  170. Briana

Well first I dont have a cell phone and there is no texting allowed in the class room. I think some people could type 700 messages it just depends on the person.

April 16, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  171. AJ

Well I have a cellphone but I do not have a full keyboard, but some how I stil get in at least 200 messages after school. I can see how some people could do this. But what I want to know is if there is a world record for the most texted in one day.

April 17, 2009 at 7:01 am |
  172. Sammy

Texting is not allowed in school, but kids do it anyway. It’s this generation’s version of passing notes, except it is a lot more convenient and easy, especially if you have an unlimited plan. I have a cell phone, but I don’t text like crazy, mainly because I only have a certain amount of minutes per month instead of the unlimited plan.

April 17, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  173. Jacob

In my school texting is not permitted, If i honestly wanted to i could text 700 times a day but i just dont really worry about it. thats crazy though that, that little girl racked up $4,800 in texting alone.

April 17, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  174. HUERA

HAHA IM A TXTER, BUT COME ON 4,800 TXT IS CRAZY.
    IF I WERE THE PARENTS I WOULD NEVER BUY HER A CELL PHONE, UNTIL SHE FOUND HERSELF A JOB, SO SHE CAN AFFORD IT HERSELF. I THOUHT I TXTED OVER MYSELF, BUT THIS GIRL IS WORSE=P

April 17, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  175. Arnold

I think the parents should have told the daughter when texting is appropriate and when its not. The girl was excited to get a phone just like anyone would be. I think the company should have been clear on what there plan consisted of.

April 17, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  176. Vera

I think that if you really have enough time to be texting 700 text messages a day then you really should consider getting a job or doing something resourceful.

April 17, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  177. Kindall

Um ya thats just stupid! If some one is old enough to own a phone, they should knoww that if they dont have texting then it well charge! And come on get a life!!! Really you text every one ALL day!

April 17, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  178. Santiago

Do what you want about this but we are a technological genearation. If you ask almost any adult today, they will tell you that they did not have a cell-phone when they were teens. The problem happening is the ease to press send. All it takes is the pressing of a few keys and in a matter of seconds you can be carrying conversation with people all over the country. Phones today are becoming more than phones due to all the features and capibilities they have. In my opinion parents need to be able to put a leash on how much one texts or calls or acceses the internet from their phone. The only reason that you are allowed to go over your limit is to then fill the pockets of the company, in this case with $4,800. It's honestly a disgrace how we as a generation have adapted to think that we can text till our hearts content. The girl in this case needs to find a hobby or maybe go to a technology-adddiction camp like the ones present in China and North Korea. If she is reading this, i hope that she knows that she deserved fir her father to smash her phone.

April 19, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  179. Demi

Well, If they had a cell phone they could at least tell the parents that they are texting! I mean 700 texts a day!!! Thats out of this world! I think she should have asked her parents if she could have text!!

April 19, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  180. Tyler

Texting isn't allowed at our school and your phone gets taken up if you do, but most students still text during school behind the teacher's backs. Even if I didn't text at school I honestly think it would be nearly impossible for me to text 700 times after school. Texting is fun, but you get tired of doing it constantly for a couple of hours.

April 20, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  181. Austin

it wouldnt be that hard to text 700 times a day after school because that is 3:00 to 12 that you have to text everyone in your phone

April 20, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  182. Sean

I think that people that text that much are quite stupid. Get a life. Go outside, play some sports, or take a walk. Turn off you phone and stop being a detriment to society. Come on people. I'm not saying that I'm against text i'm just against it in excess. Don't be stupid be productive.

April 20, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  183. Devin

$4,800 in text messaging, that is crazy. If I did that my dad would make me pay it. Texting in school isn't right but you should be able to do it at recess, then when recess is over put the phone in your bag or give it to the teacher.

April 20, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  184. seth

I think that people spend too much time on the phone becuse people get caught in the rat race.
    I think that people should spend more time enjoying life.

April 20, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  185. Dani

That's a lot of money on the texts. Why can't people just stop texting, if the phone people stopped making phones that get better keyboards then the texting would go down. People should stop paying so much for texting when they don't need it because people did just fine before they had cell phones. Most kids don't even use cell phones but use them when they get older. Why do their parents get texting for them, it just raises the phone bills doesn't it?

April 20, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  186. samuel

Whose ever kid that is, they need better parenting skills. Why do people even like cell phones anyways, tax collectors bother you all day to get money because the bills are to high to keep up with.

April 20, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  187. Merissa

Texting isn't allowed in our school. I text about 450 texts a month. I don't understand how someone could possibly make a conversation with someone all day long! What could you possibly talk about over texting everyday and all day, to me that would get very old.

April 20, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  188. alex

hey anyone who can text that much must be the only ones who are keeping our economy going you got to spend money to get money man

April 20, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  189. Shelby and Paige

Send 10,000 texts a month?!? That's crazy! I don't think i could text that much in about 3 months! If you text that much you may be phone crazy!

April 20, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  190. Shelby and Paige

At my school if we get caught with our phone, even if its in our pockets, we get it taken away until the end of the week. It usually goes to the principals office! DONT DO IT! Its definitely NOT worth it!

April 20, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  191. annie

i have a full keyboard phone so its easier to text with
    and no its not allowed in my school but the teachers dont mind if we have it on or not
    but i also have unlimmited texting so i dont go over,
    my last texts sent&& recived was
    4,5678

April 21, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  192. Mannly

Texting is not allowed at all in my classes. you can't even have a phone in school. I can't believe you can send that many messages in a day. I personally have unlimited texting, but i only get, maybe 40 messages a day. Maybe that person should take there amibition in texting and put some more effort into their schoolwork or maybe they should get a job. Although they'd probably loose that job cause their always on the phone. lol.

April 21, 2009 at 9:56 pm |
  193. Nikki

I don't have a cell phone, but if I did I would get unlimited and start texting out like crazy to all my friends!

April 21, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  194. Nikki

Also if you have a phone at our school and the teachers find out, then you'll get it taken away, and it won't be returned back to you, but your parent or guardian.

April 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  195. Grace

wow. Why do people like texting so much. Why not just talk to the person in person?! My cousin wore out the numbers on her phone texting, wow, texting much? My parents won't even let me have texting and I don't even have a phone. Anyway I am reeeeeaaaalllly slow at texting.

April 22, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  196. SMH.

This isn't much of a big surprise for me.
    I have a friend who well basically you can say has NO life, since he has texted about 240,000 a month. Most of them were chain mails, and pointless things such as "Lol", "Ok", "Uh-huh" He texts throughout school, Not really that interested in school. D student.

April 22, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  197. Alyssa

I cant text yet. but when i get it i won't be sending that many messages! thats crazy!

April 22, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  198. Sitara

Texting isn't allowed in my school. And I myself don't even text that much in a month! I think all these "texters" are crazy and they need to stop texting..!

April 22, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  199. Summer

In my school u cant text but some kids do anyway I have a cell phone and unlimited texting which is a good thing because I can easily text way over 700 text messages out side of school I think every school in the world should aloud phones during lunch after u eat and in class if all of your work is finished I can text over 10 thousand a month easily who ever cant is bad at texting. teachers may think that its making students forget how to spell because of text talk like u ur srry and more but I know how to spell everyone of those words so they just need to shut there mouths so help me out and lets let the school boards have a piece of our minds.cellphones will eventually be aloud in every school if everyone takes part in trying to do this.

April 22, 2009 at 7:40 pm |