.
March 29th, 2009

Ads in Schools

It's easy to understand why companies would want to advertise on your school campus:  What you wear, what you play, and what you listen to are worth billions in business.  And it's easy to see how schools would benefit:  The money they get from allowing ads could make up for what they've lost in the recession - and help you go on more field trips, have more money for athletics, and have better after-school programs.  From a business standpoint, it makes sense.

But from an educational one, it gets murky.  Many would argue that a public school is a place for learning, not marketing.  And they fear that commercializing campuses is a step in the wrong direction, especially when there are already ads on everything from your cell phone to your television to the signs you pass on the way to school.

In Monday's show, you hear some different viewpoints about on-campus advertising.  What's yours?

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Hanna

i think that people shouldnt be aloud to advertise at schools if its not school related, because why would kids need to see anything else while they are at school? if you have a kid at school you want them focusing as much as possible on what they are learning and what they want to do with their life later on. people need to look at it from different points of views and not look at getting rich of it.

March 29, 2009 at 6:45 pm |

All schools are needing money lately. My scool needs money for our music and arts programs.

March 29, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  3. Matt

I think it's a good idea for kid companies, but when you have that going on then other companies are going to advertise that some kids haven't ever heard of. Over all, it's a bad idea

March 29, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  4. Voldmort

I'm just totally supporting it! I mean the school will have more money to spend on after school or in case for high schools job links. And also the news told us there would be regulation for unbeneficial phrases or hardboiled images. Just think! Even toddlers see commercials these days and some includes violent images. So why the fuss on more gentle commercials?

...and think about the MONEY.

March 30, 2009 at 2:20 am |
  5. Dave

Advertisements has become the neccessity of today's life. Yes if the advertisement is doing any good then it should be in the schools, but for some reason if it proves out to be vulgar then it should be banned. many advertisements has helped many to get a good deal in shopping as to stop using curse words to drugs. Advertising has came using came using different characters, to cartoons, to actors, etc. Yes if it is going to help the students and there education it should definetly be there. For younger students at school you would want to keep it in the form of a cartoon for them to understand. At last it never hurts to try because what you start can be stopped.

March 30, 2009 at 5:45 am |
  6. Southside stepper ♥

I think that school is a place for learning, NOT a perfect place to get kids to buy things that they see on Ads they see in their schools. There are enough ads on TV and on billboards.

March 30, 2009 at 6:29 am |
  7. Susie

Well the only time a T.V. broadcast was at our school was when we were let out of school before 3o'clock because of bad weather but some schools would like the publicity as much as the busnisses would like the costumers!!
    By the way Carl when did u learn Japenese?

March 30, 2009 at 7:38 am |
  8. Juny

I think posting ads on the school hallway is pretty good for the economy. At this tough economic recession, companies are having trouble financially and appealing to students is a good way to increase sales. Since students are the mainstream people in our society, companies will be able to earn more money and the economy will be recovered quickly. If the whole economy enhances, schools will have more funding from other people and they can invest the funds for student development.

March 30, 2009 at 7:43 am |
  9. Mario

I think that advertisement in schools can be a good thing. Public schools just need to do a few things to ensure that these ads don't interfere with the students while they are learning. Advertisements should be limited to only hallways and lunch rooms. If they are anywhere else they could become distracting and not allow students to do their best in school.

March 30, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  10. Anthony

I think that an advertisement in school is a good idea. It gives the schools another way to make money which they can then spend on needed things. The only way it will work is if there is some sort of censorship or committee the ads must go through.

March 30, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  11. Lion-O

I think that the idea to put ads in schools might be a good idea, at least in the upper level schools. We as students live with ads so much that we hardly notice that they are there,so there wouldn't be a problem with distractions. Plus, the schools would get money for these advertisments that could fund other things. It's a win-win situation.

March 30, 2009 at 9:00 am |

I believe that advertising is fine in schools but ad companies are going to have to be VERY careful with what they place on the ads. These ads, being in schools, will need to be directly geared towards kids 18 and under to make sure that no offensive or inappropriate ads try to sell the wrong items to kids.

March 30, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  13. Michael

March 30, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  14. elisa

Advertising in schools could really help companies and schools get more money. Advertisment is everywhere else in the world, so why not in schools?
    The only negative things i see in it is that it could cause distractions. Students see ads about new products and they spend all class thinking about them or discussing them.
    Other than that, I don't see any problem with ads at schools.

March 30, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  15. nick

Ads in schools can de good or bad depending on what they are, but too many ads or ads with fancy or really cool designs can take away from those kids who have trouble paying attention or keeping focused like kids with learning disabilities who already have enough trouble trying to learn.

March 30, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  16. Joshua

I think this is a great idea, it could help students with important info and it would give the schools more money to spend on students to make learning better for them. Its a win win as llong as they do not put as'd up that advertise bad thing or thing that could harm students in any way. This can be a bad or great thing it all matters on who is in charge of the ad's that go into to the schools.

March 30, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  17. Laura

I don’t think it is a good idea to have ads in school. Students and teachers would be distracted by the items. It may even make some students later for class because they are watching the ads. In you want to get people interested in your product you should adversities on the internet, radio, music videos, or just plain TV.

March 30, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  18. Jesse

Ads in school can be both good and bad. As people say, school is a place of learning not a place for marketing. I say school do accept the ads and spend the money on how to efficiently teach the students instead of trying to improve their programs. In my opinion, school is very flawed. It is very pointless like a car running the engine without going anywhere.

March 30, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  19. Kayla

I believe that it could be a very good idea if done correctly. They should make sure that all the ads are appropriate for the age groups within the schools from Elementary, Middle and High School.

March 30, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  20. Sammy

I don’t believe that they should advertise to elementary school children. It would be fine if advertised to high school students, and I understand that it is an effective way of making money, but it should not be advertised to young children who cannot make many wise decisions on there own.

March 30, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  21. Adam

I seriously don't think it's a good idea. It's bad enough that advertisements are all over TV and the internet, but if schools advertised, the world would come to an end more quickly than I expected!

March 30, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  22. Stephen

Well I think that advertising is not meant for schools. Ads are all over the place...but they shouldn't be in a place of education.Thanks Carl!

March 30, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  23. Matthew

This one is confusing, the ads can't be to distracting. But its good for the economy.

March 30, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  24. Christina

I think that ads in school will be really cool. But not for the little kids, I also think that they can show a message to all the kids in school.
    P.S. Carl you rock

March 30, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  25. firefighter831

i think that the ads in schools are not really that great. some kids might not have the money to buy things and make them fell left out

March 30, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  26. Trent

Selling cellphones and computers are one thing but in school they can't even bring cellphones. School is for learning NOT for buying. Even if it helps schools with somethings schools don't need like adding buildings to schools. We don't need buildings we need
    more learning skills.

March 30, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  27. Sean

I think that this is both good and bad. I think that this is good for the schools to raise money for their programs but bad for the kids to have ads thrown at them in a learning environment. I think it's also a bad descision for the business putting the ads in schools because for the most part the kids won't pay attention.

March 30, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  28. Robert

Ads in schools bring up many different arguments. I’m sure most kids that go to school actually wouldn’t mind that advertisement. Many people would walk by without noticing ads that they do not like. But I can understand the view point of those that could see them as potential distractions from learning.

March 30, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  29. Tyler

I think advertising in public schools is a good idea because of the profits the schools and businesses would make. Schools that are in need of money for extra things would be able to get it through this marketing technique. It would also greatly help out the businesses because it would increase the sales of the products advertised.

March 30, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  30. Ross

I think that ads in schools are not such a good idea, yet in some ways it is not too terrible. The ads in school could be a good bit distracting, yet if the school board says that it is beneficial for the children, then it couldn’t be so bad. The only thing that could be bad is advertisements in elementary schools around small children.

March 30, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  31. Michael

I believe that having ads in school is a great idea. Students are able to look into what’s new in technology and the people hosting the ads will benefit with an increase in buyers. There should be some precautions though with the younger kids in the school.

March 30, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  32. Griffin

I think ads are a little too much for schools. Maybe they would be okay as long as it's only ads about school related products. Otherwise it could be too distracting from the learning environment and a lot of parents and teachers are not going to like that.

March 30, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  33. Kaleb

Ads in School? Cmon now. School is a place for education not advertisement. Why do we need have them in schools, they serve no purpose. It's just another stupid thing we are doing to distract students in school. 🙂

March 30, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  34. carley

who cares if ads are in schools they are gunna be looking at them anyway...

March 30, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  35. harley

i think that couold be a distraction but it is a good buisness strategy

March 30, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  36. Leanna :)

Well they need to moniter what they put in elementary schools but other than that I don't see a problem with it. If it helps with education then it's alright.

March 30, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  37. Stephanie

I think that advertisements should be allowed in high schools because high school students have more potential to go out and buy things because they drive and usually have some sort of money via a job or parents. Elementary and Middle school students still depend on their parents to buy them things and those parents have bills to pay...whereas high schoolers have a more spendable income. What kind of products do you advertise to students anyway?

March 30, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  38. Big Rick

I think that will onl.y cause problemsin the learning environment. I know that a lot of people text and use their phones at school including me. It is enough of a distraction already and ads will just add to the distraction.

March 30, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  39. Garrick

since the recession many companines aren't making as much money.i think that advertising in schools is a good idea for companies advertising their products to a younger group of people

March 30, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  40. Michael

I think advertising would be ok as long as they werent on every wall and that they were not tobbaco and alchohol advertising

March 30, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  41. Mr.Ferrell's Class

We think it's a good idea because you could raise money for after school activities. Also, you will be hip and fly.

Thank you,
    Mr. Ferrell's 6th grade class

March 30, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  42. haley

i have mixed fealings on this. it helps the school out financially, and that is realy needed now, but it dosen't need to invade one of the commercial freeplaces!!! thank goodness student news is commercial free!

March 30, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  43. George

I don't like the idea, but the way the Economy is anything helps.

March 30, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  44. Nabeel

Well I believe that it really is not going to help. Besides personally i have not been hit by the horrible economy and my life is just fine

March 30, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  45. Kayla :)

I think that showing ads in school shouldn't be allowed, because it distracts kids from the learning environment. I think that in this situation it's ok because they are trying to raise money to help their school. (Just make sure the ads are age appropriate and are encouraging kids to go outside or pick up a book and NOT go on the computer and waste your day)
    ~Kayla~ : )

March 30, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  46. Casey

I think advertising in schools is awesome just as long as you limit it.

March 30, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  47. edgar in mr.mellors class

i think it is a good idea only if the ads are posotive

March 30, 2009 at 9:11 pm |
  48. Courteney

I don't see the comtroversy in this. Schools already have advertisments. Haven't you noticed? Exhibit A) Got Milk? Campaign Exhibit B) School event sponsor advertisements Exhibit C) T-Shirts advertising merchindise. If you think puting advertisements in schools is a bad thing, too late! Sorry,dude!

March 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Audra

I don't think we should have ads in school because school is a place we get to learn stuff like multiplecation and similies, not how much the new cool phone sells for.

March 30, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  50. Utau

I think of it from bothe standpoints: While school IS a place for learing and ads could be distracting, the schoool needs the money. Schools are already low on budget for things and looking for waves to save money...(i.e. lower heat in the winter?) The only place it really should not be is in elementary school. I think those kids are more likely to be distracted by it then High School or Middle schoolers are, little kids do have short attention spans...

March 31, 2009 at 6:29 am |
  51. Chuk

I do think ads should be out in schools cause the company who would like to display the ad and at the same time decorates the school.

March 31, 2009 at 7:13 am |
  52. Tylerbeav

I believe it is an over all good idea. Some schools could really use the money, I know mine can. As long as the Ads are in the hallways or cafeteria and not in your classrooms, it shouldn't make any impact on your learning. It would actually help it, with the money they would get from advertising they could buy more materials for projects or even nadd more classes!

March 31, 2009 at 8:15 am |
  53. maddison

I think that it would be a really good idea to put ads in schools. Because that way people can advertise there things better, and also more people will be interested in what they are advertising. But if it is something bad then I don't think that they should be advertising it in school.

March 31, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  54. Josh

I think that ads in school would be a good thing. It will help some students learn about what going on, instead of going home and reading the paper or something. Most people probably wont use the ads, but the people that do will learn a lot more.

March 31, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  55. Monica

I thank it would be good to have them in are school because your mom and dad would have to pay more if the kids wanted it and show them what they want

March 31, 2009 at 1:27 pm |

I think that having ads in school is a good thing because students can get a better visual of what's in the world around them rather than not being prepared for the future.

March 31, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  57. Jake

GIMME ADS! I wants to see teh productz. My mind needz some treachery to survival!

March 31, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  58. Raine

That is a HORRIBLE idea, (i cant spell)I mean, seriously? ADDS in SCHOOLS?!?!?! NO! NO, NO, NO! come on! these are KIDS! put adds in high schools! not middle and elementry!

March 31, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  59. Chilton

Unless it's for the Jonas Brothers, the potato song, or CNN then NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

March 31, 2009 at 8:29 pm |
  60. Quinn

Basically to keep this letter shorter than my last one, schools get paid to advertise things to students and teachers. And the companies get paid to do this because it influences the students and some teachers to buy certain things. Like when cells phones as the L.G Dare,Blackberry Storm and even the iPhone 3G came out,people posted videos about the pros and cons of these phones. And on the first birthday of the iPhone, Apple held a large meeting about the release of the iPhone 3G. And large companies such as verizon,pay other people to use there products and spread positive information about there services. Everyone goes to buy these items because the word is getting out. So the schools get more money to put these signs up and the companies get paid to keep these signs influencing people. (this letter is shorter than my first one was) Until i write you again i will be watching CNN Student News everyday. (P.S Mr. Johnson one of your favorite students from 6th period wrote this) ☺

April 1, 2009 at 2:34 am |
  61. Melissa

If it raises money for the school, it should be fine. My teacher Mrs.Martin said that she would try it 🙂 . I think that as long as it does not disrupt learning, it is a great idea.

April 1, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  62. jessica

I think it should be about books and saving the plante only

April 1, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  63. Grace

Why wouldn't it be ok to put ads in your school? Its not like kids are going to ask to go to the bathroom during class just to go in the hallways and read signs! Well if they do, it's kinda weird!

April 1, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  64. Alyssa

I think ads would be okay in school as long as kids don't get off subject. (which is learning) But I think the littler kids would get distracted a lot. My vote is okay but not everywhere.

April 1, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  65. Thomas=]

i think its stupid. its just another way for schools to make a little more money.

April 1, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  66. charlotte

I think that there should not be ads in schools. School is for learning not for buying, you should only advertise healthful and energetic things to change bad habits : )

April 1, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  67. Katie

The people selling the goods are hitting their target audiance head on. I think this is a smart idea but also agree that advertisement should be limited to younger audiances such as elementary school children.

April 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  68. ahmed

ads in school r just a way for schools to make fast money. they really need it. my teachers have to buy there own paper. i mean i wouldnt put any because that makes me look cheap. and plus school is a place for learning not advertising. if they get to advertise then i wanna bring video games!

April 2, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  69. rachel

I think advertisers should be ble able to advertise at schools,but nothing inappropriate. Healthy food resturaunts could be advertised, but unhealthy ones should not. Appropriate clothes stores should be allowed too, so students can dress right.

April 2, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  70. Selena

I believe that although advertising could be good for our schools it could also be bad. New aquipment and more field trips would be great. At my school we cant even afford practice work books for all of our students. Instead we must work on copied sheets from our teachers. Also, my school is really dirty and unapreciated. the bathrooms are desgusting and the halls are trashed. With more money we could clean up our school and make it a better enviroment for us to learn.

On the down side, advertisments could send the wrong message. Many schools who have uniforms or dress code policies work hard to keep kids up with those. Clothing advertisments would anger the students and make them fell suckish, just like they arent allowed to have a personality. Also schoools should be promoting healthy eating and McDonalds advertisements or junk food advertisments could send the message that getting fat or eating unhealthy is okay. america already has a wieght problem and schools shouldnt encourage it.

i believe that companies and schools should be advertising in schools.

April 2, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  71. Giovonni

I think ads in schools should be allowed to be advertised in schools because kids are the new generation and there is a lot of kids in the world today if people want business

April 2, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  72. Aaman

You may think it is wrong to advertise in school but think of the long time advantages. A lot of money could be gained through this process and this money, in the long-range, will help schools science and tech programs to be improved. People shouldn’t be narrowminded and say “oh this is wrong, kids minds are easily provoked and this would make it worse.” The reason this person is wrong is because addvertisments would only be put in high school where the kids are about to start their real life. Also, this would help get the kids a glimpse of real life. For anybody reading this think what if somebody thought you were to stupid to say no to an advertisment!!!!!!!!!!

April 2, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  73. Chris

Advertising isn't really wat i would think is ideal 4 school. many schools need more supllies and equipment. the money on advertising could go to those things nescessary for the giving the students a good education.

April 2, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  74. Link

Ads in school, if payments go directly to the schools, is a genius idea. All schools are struggling for money, and I think that having increased funding, private sources or otherwise would help the US in the future. Advertising could be as simple as eBay being mentioned in a math problem in an algebra book, not some bright flashing pop up like you get on the internet.

April 3, 2009 at 1:35 am |
  75. Sidney

Ads in schools will definately benifit those companies because most kids in schools will buy anything thats on a poster (if it has pretty colors)

April 3, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  76. Kathryn

I do not think adds in school is a good idea. It will distract kids from their work! School is a place for learning not advertisments!!!!!

April 3, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  77. Melody

I think that adds should be allowed in schools because then we can know all the cool new electronical stuff that we could beg our parents for 🙂

April 6, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  78. Kayla

I personally think that it's ok if they are school related! Not for like A&W!

April 7, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  79. lAURA AND kAELA

We think it would be distracting and would not help anything. The companies are just saying how bad thier business is.Dont do it. It is stupid.

April 9, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  80. Abbi

I think that we sould not allow ads in the schools. It would dissrupt childrens learning prossess. Then the children all over America will not ever be learning at all, they will want to look at the ads.

April 10, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  81. Evan

I think that having adds in school is a horrible idea because it distract students from learning, and really do company's think that children in elementary and middle school have the money to get things. Well i know that if i want something i have to go to my parents for money because they don't give me any money unless it is for lunch. I don't think children would be interested in items unless it was some new cool toy, video game, etc.
    Bottom line is it's a terrible idea and i am against it.

April 14, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  82. Cody!!!!!!!!

I would like to have the ads in our schools it would have a good advertisement to our schools and have kids learn about the real world.

April 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm |