March 25th, 2009

Taking a Pay Cut

Would you take a major pay cut to help your employees?

I think it's awesome that the owner of Accutech Photo Machining would take a pay cut so that he could afford to pay his own employees.  And it makes perfect sense why his employees would want to work harder.  Who wouldn't want to give 110 percent for a boss who made sacrifices for him?

A lot of small business owners in the U.S. are not millionaires, like the top CEOs you hear about on the news.  It's not easy for someone who's making $70,000 to cut his pay in half.  And remember, the owners have bills to pay and families to support, too, so it's perfectly understandable that many wouldn't be able to take a pay cut.

That's why it's so amazing to me that as many as 50 percent of small business owners have done exactly that to avoid having layoffs.  The question is, would you do the same thing?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Nat

I think that in times of crisis, we need to help each other out. It's the only way we have a chance of getting out of this recession. In other words, yes I would do that.

March 25, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  2. Alicia

Yes. yes I would Carl :]

March 26, 2009 at 1:10 am |
  3. Voldmort

Hey. Let's just think for a moment and pretend that I am the owner. Now, because I don't wanna lose m' bucks, I cut m' employees. And there will be fewer employees and so low profits. In the end I goes down and who remained also falls down. Considering this, no one will wanna big money for themselves! And if you are that stubborn to not to give up your money, just don't come into my doorsteps and beg for charity.

March 26, 2009 at 2:52 am |
  4. Arya

The employees need to survive this bad economy too. Yes, I will help them. I'm still getting money isn't it? I'll just need to save a bit and spend less.

March 26, 2009 at 4:09 am |
  5. Alicia

I'm the different Alicia (from the one on the top.)
    The thing about thinking as i am an employee, that's my comment. But the one which said "Yes. Yes i would ", It's not mine.

March 26, 2009 at 4:15 am |
  6. Daisuke

I work at the bank and have interacted with a lot of companies from small businesses to large businesses. Then I consider employees as assets. Even if business performance become worse, employers should not make layoffs. The employers should protect employment and the employees should be patient lower salary.

March 26, 2009 at 6:36 am |
  7. Michael

I would because think of all the people who won`t have any money.

March 26, 2009 at 7:01 am |
  8. Juny

I would certainly cut down my paychecks in order to prevent layoffs. Lower unemployment rates will help the economy to recover into its right track, and if I am the owner of a small business company, the only way I can contribute to the country is to do my best to prevent layoffs.

March 26, 2009 at 7:17 am |
  9. Ashley

I think I would if I had a big company. It can support the employees and make them work harder.

March 26, 2009 at 7:51 am |
  10. James

Yes, id rather help people then have more money

March 26, 2009 at 8:00 am |
  11. Courtney

I would take a pay cut to help my employees because I'd rather have less money and still be able to provide for my family rather than fire someone who really needs the job. I'd hate to tear a family apart because I'm greedy. The guilt would kill me.

March 26, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  12. fabio

I would not like to lose employees just to get more money. i think it is too self-centered because other people need money to live too. also during lunch breaks, it will not be as fun because your employees are your friends.

March 26, 2009 at 8:21 am |
  13. Coach Wyatt's 1st Block

Coach Wyatt's 1st block Class says that yes we would be willing to help our employee's by taking a pay cut from our salary. We feel that without our employee's we would not have a business!

Thank you!

March 26, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  14. shields

yeah thats cool i would rather keep my freinds an my buisness than take the money and leave. i would much rather have a buissness and stuff.

March 26, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  15. Aidan

I would be a nice boss and help the employees who help me.

March 26, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  16. Sean

I guess I would do the same thing. I wouldn't take such a big pay cut so that I would be bankrupt in a month. I guess I would make the same pay cut for all my employees, me included.

March 26, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  17. izaak

Yes I would cut my pay for my partners.

March 26, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  18. Brooks

I mean it would be nice but in this economical situation it would just be to hard.

March 26, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  19. Devin

I think a business owner should do anything to help his/her employees.

March 26, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  20. Matt

I dont really know but I would probably cut it back but not all the way.

March 26, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  21. Grace

I would fire or lay off the ones that I don't think work hard. But I would pay the ones who I think are loyal, I would take a pay cut.

March 26, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  22. merrill

What a sacrifice.... How can the owners buy food if they don't make money

March 26, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  23. Em

I would make a pay cut for my employees because even if I wouldn't be getting as much money, there would be more people that would get more money for their families. It would be better because it would help more people, more than just me.

March 26, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  24. Elena

I wouldn't know what to do. I if I had allot of workers I wouldn't want to cut their pay like that, they have family to support too. I would probably feel bad whatever I did.

March 26, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  25. Abby

I think that it is so cool that the small business owners cut their own salaries to pay their workers! That really shows respect to the CEO's employees, and it lets the workers know that their boss doesn't have a big ego. If I was a small business owner, I would DEFINITELY cut my pay, especially if my employees were friends of mine. Even if they weren't, I still would. HOORAH!

March 26, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  26. Eliza

I would do the same thing because my employees would be working just as hard as me and they deserve to get a pay check. 😀 B)

March 26, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  27. Allison & Gwen!!!! :D

We think that that other guy was a liar because he was like the bigger companies wont do that because there is more people and they artn close to them........
    EXCUSES EXCUSES!!!!

March 26, 2009 at 9:27 am |
  28. Christina

If I had a compney and things were getting tite I would cut or lose my own pay.

March 26, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  29. Shawn

i would not take a pay cut because i am too poor to be giving my money away

March 26, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  30. Drew

I would like to have pay cut because I think it would to good to my job and then more people would have more is the US.

March 26, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  31. Samantha

I think that banks should loan money out to small buisnesses.

March 26, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  32. Joseph

i would if the employees needed the money bad enough other than that no because everyone has to earn their money by working hard

March 26, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  33. Katey

It depends on where I stand with my bills. If I can barely pay them, I don't think I would be able to make the cut without losing to business. But if I was paying my bills and still have a little money left over, I would defiantly make the cut.

March 26, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  34. KAtie

I would take a pay cut. I would take a pay cut because those workers need to feed their family's too not just you. I think this would be the best thing to do because what if your workers quit because they weren't getting paid enough. That is why I would take a major pay cut to help my employees.

March 26, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  35. Jacob

In my opinion, I would want to but I wouldn't. I would take enough of a cut to help but not a full cut. I still would need money to support myself. But without employees, I couldn't work. So I am kind of torn in between the two.

March 26, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  36. Alexa

I think that it depends if I would take a pay cut for myself. I would do that if my business was small, and I only had like a few workers. But if I had a really big business, then I would just cut off a couple of workers. I do feel bad for small business owners, because it must be tough for them to have a big tax cut:(

March 26, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  37. Geordan

I think if I needed to take a pay cut to help my small business then I probably would but I wouldn't dip into my money and pay them. If you do that you might as well go and sell your business because winding up with out a home is not worth it.

March 26, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  38. McKenzie

I would do the same thing to make sure that my employees get paid. I think that it is really hard to take a pay cut. My mom does not get paid but she has a different job before she works at the union station. If came to the fact that I did not get paid so I could pay my employees then I would do whatever.

March 26, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  39. Jessica

I think its pretty nice that people that own small businesses take a pay cut for their customers. It shows character because they're nice enough to not pay their selves because of others.

March 26, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  40. Alayna

That is so awesome that those small business owners are doing that. That would take a lot of thinking to do. If I was one of the small business owners I would talk to the worker and see how dedicated they are to the job. If they were just there for the money and are bored by what they do I might cut them. If they were really interested in the job and finding a new job would be hard then I would lend them money.

March 26, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  41. Wyatt

I would take a pay cut for my employees because they are your friends and they have worked for you for a long time so it is the least you could do. Plus you don't want to fire them and lose even more people for your business which is small enough as it is

March 26, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  42. Sydney

I would probably do the same thing. But, it would be hard to do because she is taking money out of her own savings account. I think that it is great that she is doing that for her employees too! 🙂

March 26, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  43. Veronica

I feel that if you own a small business that it's your responsibility to make sure that the employes get payed enough to support their family and themselves. So, yes, of course I would cut my pay in half. The thing is I say this now, but all my life I've never had to worry about bills or anything of that nature. Even realizing that I would go without pay for as long as I could so my faithful employes could keep a sturdy life style.

March 26, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  44. Marissa

I would defiantly do the same. I mean if I was able to cut my pay I would it wouldn't be far that I get a lot of money while I am laying people off. These day you got to do what you got to do. I hope it gets so that people don't have to do those things because it's not far that the people that are making millions aren't and that they are just laying people off so they still get to be paid millions and millions.

March 26, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  45. Kyler

I would take some cut but I wouldn't take a full cut and dip into my savings. It just doesn't sound like a good deal to me. Think about it you give up all your money for nothing. Sure you'll help some one but will that make you suffer?

March 26, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  46. ~Catherine~

I think that I would take a certain amount out of my pay check and split it up between them.... Since we have a bad economy I would let other people keep there jobs than being selfish and keeping all of the money to myself.....

March 26, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  47. Allison

Of cource I would help my employees if I was receiving more than them. They have families and bills to pay too. It is important that they get the pay they deserve. Some of these large business executives who make millions of dollars a year are laying people off and being greedy and stingy with their money. I wouldn't completely cut off my pay, but I would reduce it for the purpose of helping my employees.

March 26, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  48. Hannah

No I wouldn't cut my pay in half because then I wouldn't have enough money to support myself. It is not like I am going to have the best job out there to where I would be making milions and millions of dollars. That is why I wouldn't cut my pay in half

March 26, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  49. ~*SARAH*~

I don't think i would take a pay cut. I don't think i would because it is money and you need money to pay for things you need to live. Also i don't think i would because if your good enough at your job then you more then likely wont get laid off. So no i don' t i would take a pay cut just to keep other employees from getting laid off.

March 26, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  50. Kelsey

Yes I think I would lower my pay to help my employees. I would do this because if I don't pay my employees enough they will quit and then I wouldn't have a business in the end anyway. I would rather have a lower pay and keep my employees so I still have a job, than not lower my pay in order to earn what I want to earn. I think it is good that the people are doing this because at least we have people working even if there is a lower pay. I would defiantly lower my pay to help pay my employees.

March 26, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  51. mariah

I would take a major pay cut if i had to. For my employees only because i am a nice person. If i was asked to take a major pay cut then yes i would take it only because as long as i still have a job and i would love to have a job. Only if i get money then i am set to go. For Example My father got his job taken away so he didn't have a pay cut he's just laid off for a while. So that would be an example, it is better to take a pay cut than to get laid off and lose your job.

March 26, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  52. Martha

Well in my opinion, when you hire someone, your not only helping them out, but your promising them an opportunity. It's not right to take away form their pay cuts. You took over the business or maybe even started it, being well aware that you may have to make sacrifices to ensure that your still able to run the business. Because if you make cuts from your employees, then they might start to quit. My family owns a business and I know that they cant afford to lose any more workers. They'd make sure their employees are payed their share.

March 26, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  53. Kally

Im not sure if i would take a pay cut. I want to be a vet when I get out of college, and if the ecomomy is still down, many people will give up health care for their pets. I can see how it would help motivate other workers, but i'm not sure my family would apperciate it as much as the workers would.

March 26, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  54. lara

I would take pay cut but I would keep just enough money to pay of my bills and feed myself

March 26, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  55. cassandra

yes and no it depends on if they deserved it or if they are slackers then no.

March 26, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  56. Katie

I understand what these owners are doing and i think that im would do the same thing as they are doing right now /

March 26, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  57. fiona

I defineltely would not do that. The lady at the coffee shop seems extremely genorous for giving her employees the money that she earned. I don't think that i would do that.

March 26, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  58. Jo

I would've taken a pay cut because if I didn't my employees would lose their jobs, causing your business to go bankrupt faster. Making a sacrifice for one that saves more is better than sacrificing others to save yourself.

March 26, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  59. Aaron

I don't really know if I would cut my own pay in half. I might or I might not depending on the situation.

March 26, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  60. josh

i think it is bad they are doing that so that they don't get laid off. But they are losing so much that won't help whether they get laid off.

March 26, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  61. Kiera

I would probably cut my salary the minimum that was needed at the time and after a while, if the economy wasn't better and my business needed money, I would cut it more.

March 26, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  62. Connor

I would take a cut for my friends and workers so they wouldn't lose there houses and there life.

March 26, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  63. Brittany

I think that if a small business is doing bad right now, then the owner of the store should pay the employees less or just cut the hours they are open back so they don't have to pay for electricity or any of that stuff.

March 26, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  64. Gimme

Sorry for any off you out there that might be working for me later in life but, I wouldn't cut into the only money I really have left to pay some employees. I mean they might be loyal and hard workers and I would pay them to their work but deffinatly not cut into my pay to pay you guys.

March 26, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  65. clark

I would take a pay cut but i wouldn't take half of my salary out of my pocket because i would have bills to pay and I would also have to pay for my family so i would not be able to pay for my house or my cars. 😦 😦 😦 😦 😦 😦 😦 😦 😦

March 26, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  66. Kaitlyn

I think that it is cool that some of these small business owners are cutting their salaries to pay their employees. It would be hard to do that though in these hard times when the economy is so bad, but I would do it if I had a business but not really in half but enough to pay them a good amount and keep the business alive.

March 26, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  67. Katlyn

I think that the government should pay the other employees,

March 26, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  68. Lea

I would do that for my employees

March 26, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  69. jashae

I would take a pay cut so that i wouldn't have to fire anyone because the economy is so bad that they might not be able to get a job and they won't be able to pay there bills. I would that so they can be able to maintain there lives and don't go into debt.

March 26, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  70. Miriam

Yes, because if i need to help people i do the same that the person that wrote the article because it not fear that someone that work only half of the day have that much of money that the person that work all the day.expecialy if the person that work half dont put much effort to do the work like the other people that work all the day and they put the effort that they can.

March 26, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  71. Brittany

Money makes the world go round, if you aint got none...you're done.

March 26, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  72. Madi

If I were an employee i would want to get payed, so i could support myself and family! So i would take a pay cut to pay them!

March 26, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  73. Charlie

I would cut about 1 third of my pay check to give my employs a few extra dollars. Hey Carl I haven't been on the show before. please pick me.

March 26, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  74. Bethanny Rose

I would most definatly take a pay cut for employees. These people are loyal to you and you have to be loyal back. They have families too that they need to look out for.

March 26, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  75. kylee

i would not because you have to provide for your family

March 26, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  76. Leanna :)

We have a family to support too. It's not like we're just using it all for ourselves and not sharing. We have to pay for stuff for our family.

March 26, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  77. spencer

yes I would.

March 26, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  78. Sebastian

i think that you should because they are your responcibility in the work place i know i would do that and i hope that my employer will do that if necisary some day

March 26, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  79. tanner

I think that i would cut the pay for them to keep thier jobs because I could never see an employee suffer.

March 26, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  80. Shelby

ya, it would be nice to help them.

March 26, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  81. Aijay

If I were a little tight on cash, I would so let my employees have the money, because I wouldn't need the money as much as they would. I would rather them have the money than me, because my employees are my friends!!! 🙂

March 26, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  82. billy

Yea, I would take a pay cut if I had a staff because i'm one person and those are alot so it would be the common good for me to do that

March 26, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  83. Switzer

I would only cut 3/4 the amount I made if I made around the same as him. Also, I would fire the person who's losing my company money, or the person who's worst at their job because there's no point in keeping them.

March 26, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  84. Tori

that is very nice I would take a pay cut to help people because they need to take care of family and pay their bills they rely on their bosses

March 26, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  85. Hannah

how are the owners making money if they are giving half to the employies? i woudnt want to do that

March 26, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  86. Micah

dude i would keep the money for myself

March 26, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  87. joeshmo

i think this is a good idea because your emploies would give you more loytie but you may not have to pay your self

March 26, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  88. eric

i think they should jest suck it up and cut some of then who cares if there your friend or friends you need to have money too

March 26, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  89. Ben

I wouldn't do that because i would need to earn money too, i would keep them as long as a i could and when they left i would give them a bonus.

March 26, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  90. Nattlez

Yes i would do the same thing because I would hate to be the one responsible for other people suffering, and if i just cut it some then it would help other people but if i didn't then people would be having a hard time if they had a family they need to take care of.

March 26, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  91. Jack

why cant they just fire the bad people?

March 26, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  92. Moira

I think that it is really awesome that they would do that to help their workers. Without that kind of help, there probably would be more people without jobs.

March 26, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  93. Shae

i don't want to sound selfish but i would never cut my salary for my employees its my my money and i worked hard to get it so what if you have to cut a cuple of employees cut the ones that don't work as hard as the others
    -shae

March 26, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  94. Espen

I think it is nice of the bosses to do that. I would not care if they were my friends or not becaquse I also need money

March 26, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  95. Tristan

I would, because you need to pay your employees too. If they aren't getting a fairly good pay, how are they supposed to live? They have families too. So my answer would be yes.

March 26, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  96. Quinn

I would probably make a cut if I owned a small business but I'm only in middle school.

March 26, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  97. Holli

Me and Amanda would sacrifice our paychecks, and if she had any second thoughts I'd make sure she changed her mind...

March 26, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  98. jaime

it will be nice to helph people out.

March 26, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  99. Charlotte

well, no i would not. this is because i need to take care of myself. i would tell them that there is a great job oppertunity at a different store, but im not going to risk my life, for people who are my friends, but they can work somewhere else.

March 26, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  100. Utau

In times lik ethese we should help even if it means scarificing our own things. I would cut my check if everyone could keep their jobs because some of them probably need the job and cannot afford to be laid off. I'd just make some cuts at home and create a budget for my own half pay and that shouldn't be hard. (I'm a bargin hunter and My family's on a budget anyway...) And atleast you and the workers get some salary, and these days, isn't some better then none?

March 26, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  101. George

If I was, I would help anyone out right now. No employes = no bussiness. You have no employes you're soon to go bankrupt.

March 26, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  102. Alexandria

I would cut my pay if I had enough money to keep up my bills and money for food. I am only a sixth grader so I don't take care of my self or any body else. If I was lets say 30 and own my own business then i might.

March 26, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  103. Austin

Hey Carl,

I would help my workers out by cutting by own salary. Although the cut could affect a business owner's lifestyle drastically, the world does not revolve around one person. The business owners who are cutting their own salary to help out the workers at their business are incredibly unselfish and should be commended for their voluntary actions.

March 26, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  104. ellen

i would definitley take pay cut for my employees
    i think that would be the right thing to do
    🙂
    LOVE YOU CARL!!!!

March 26, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  105. Ruby

Well, my mom was talking to a contractor about her garage once and he said that he once built.
    " His garage was made of hard cherry polished flooring and it could hold up to 60 cars. It also had an elevator where each car was parked to turn it around so the man wouldn't have to drive backwards outside."
    He owns a MOJOR car indrusties and I think that's just crazy. Carl do you have 60 cars in one garage? Besides at CNN?

March 26, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  106. Joyce

If you cut people you will have less work but if you take money off your own salary it might work out. This dosn't always work it's just a gamble. My Dad has been doing the "cut of his paycheck" for over a year and since he still has a hand full of people working he still can get the job done. So it might be a good thing to try.

March 26, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  107. brandy

I would absolutely do the same thing, because you would know that your employees are doing as much as they can for you. It is very smart and intelligent. Except they better be thinking about their families and bills as you said.

March 26, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  108. Katie

I would because you have to put yourself in there shoes. Would you want your job cut. The economy is not in good shape and there is alot of people losing there jobs. So, i agree.

March 26, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  109. Samantha

I would take a pay cut if i worked at a small business because it would feel like a family and everybody would want to work together. I think that if it were to keep the business alive and running everybody should take a pay cut. Alot of my friends work at smaller businesses so i am sure they would take pay cut to keep there job. Better a lower pay job then no job at all.

March 26, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  110. Rhodes

Whether or not I take a pay cut depends on how much income I would have at the time. If I was recieving a substantial or even a surplus amount of money, then of course I would cut my own pay! I'd feel obligated to do everything in my power to help my employees. However, if I was just barely getting by as it is, then I woudn't.

March 26, 2009 at 7:14 pm |
  111. Caitlyn

It depends on who the workers are and how hard they work. After all, family comes first; They should be your priority.

March 26, 2009 at 7:52 pm |
  112. Mr. Perales's 1st block

If we can get by even with the pay cut and we feel our employees are good and necessary workers, then we would definitely do it. However if we can't provide for our family with the pay cut, we wouldn't because family IS first priority.

March 26, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  113. Maggie

I would take a pay cut for my employees. It is the right thing to do, the employers isn't the only one who has to support a family. Some workers really need the money even if it means you not getting as much money. Carl, I really like your puns, you should do more on the show!!

March 26, 2009 at 8:16 pm |
  114. Ashley

I would cut my pay because they are tring as hard as you are and if i was that person I would not want to be come poor and with out job just because i didnt get payed anoff. If i had a job and i love all my workers I would do that because they have a family they have to take care of too.

March 26, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  115. Kaylee

I believe that if it was necessary for me to take a paycut for my employees i would. I t would help others and it would be a VERY caring thing to do!

March 26, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  116. Coach Wyatt's 1st block

Coach Wyatt’s 1st block Class says that yes we would be willing to help our employee’s by taking a pay cut from our salary. We feel that without our employee’s we would not have a business!

Thanks!

March 26, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  117. alysia

i would take a pay cut to assist my fellow co workers we are all struggling .

March 26, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  118. Danny

Yes, i would have to take a pay cut, a small buisness is like a family. Your there during the good times and bad times, unfortunately this is abad time. The small buisnesses just need to stay strong and survive this recession.

March 26, 2009 at 9:21 pm |
  119. Meredith

Carl, Would YOU take a large chunk of your salary to help keep everyone at your CNN news station? If I were I small business owner, I definitely would. 🙂

March 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  120. Frank

I would cut my sallary for my employees (if I actually worked) because maybe if I did, my employees would stick with me and I might make it through the recesion without going out of buisness.

March 26, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  121. Jayce

I would take the pay cut only if I had enough money buy food. If I was only paid a small amount of money, of course I wouldn't cut the pay. I would want everbody to be together. I would try to help my employees to keep up the small business. Everybody needs food you know!

March 27, 2009 at 12:04 am |
  122. tyleralma

I think my employees deserve more money because if they don't have any money how will the beable to work for them? If you gave them the money they would beable to help get more customers in so it would be like you never even loss money.

March 27, 2009 at 8:03 am |
  123. Joey

I would say yes because the employees have a family and have to pay for there house and it wouldn't be fair to the employees.

March 27, 2009 at 8:08 am |
  124. Rachel

Maybe. It depends on what I needed the money for.

March 27, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  125. Sarah

I don't think that I would do that because, it's nice to give them the money but you need it for your family or for your self. It's is a nice thing to do!!!!

March 27, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  126. david

I would see if I could in the first place and then take if is possible but I like money 😦

March 27, 2009 at 8:10 am |
  127. jayson

I would keep my money and if they want i might loan them or something if it's really serious but if its not then i keep the money.

March 27, 2009 at 8:10 am |
  128. Hannah

I would take the cut if the employees worked hard but if they slacked off the whole time then i probably wouldn't because they don't deserve it. If it was a small cut then i would, but i wouldn't make the cut if it really hurt my family.

March 27, 2009 at 8:10 am |
  129. Erin

I would probably cut my salary if I had a small busniness. But i wouldn't cut 50% because I would have a family but I would still cut some of my pay. I would cut my pay 35% that way I would still have money for my family. But I would help because i don't want people to suffer if I don't have to.

March 27, 2009 at 8:10 am |
  130. Kole

i would help the employee's

March 27, 2009 at 8:11 am |
  131. Meriel

I think I would because I think that everybody should have money and as long as there wasn't a horrible home crisis then I would give them some of my money even if I would get less than half of what I would originally get. If I couldn't help them then I would probably explain that to them.

March 27, 2009 at 8:11 am |
  132. Ellie

I don't think that i could take a pay cut because I would think of my own family first, before my imployies because well you have to think of family.

March 27, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  133. melanie and addie

Well it really depends on my employees. unless theyre really great people I'm sorry I'm not gonna give my self a sacrifice. carl you are a good man.

March 27, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  134. Kaianne

If I had a big company, then I would take a cut in pay for the others to work harder, if I had a small company, I probably wouldn't because I need to pay for my own things.

March 27, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  135. Izze

ya i think its awesome and really nice of the person to do that. Most people would probably never cut there pay cut in half to pay there employees

March 27, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  136. Courtney

I would take the cut to avoid people quiting their jobs because if you think about it, if people start to quit, then it affects you and your business. Also, you have to think about yourself and your family; still, I think that if you owned a business you would make a little bit more than the employees that work for you, so they need money more than you do. It is loyal for your friends and workers and it will make you look good.

March 27, 2009 at 8:13 am |
  137. Addie

I'm a greedy person and I would never give up my money. Every man for themselves. Thats my motto. Life isn't easy. If you don't have enough money and u cant afford food on your table, start a garden. You can grow carrots, beats, corn, cabbage, and many other tasty veggies. Start planting!

March 27, 2009 at 8:13 am |
  138. Sayer

I would say yes, but Christmas would be hard.

March 27, 2009 at 8:13 am |
  139. Penny

Carl I would not take a pay cut. The point of having a business is to
    make money. Carl, would you take a pay cut?

March 27, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  140. Dakoda

I thinks that its awesome that those people are taking a pay cut to pay their employees. I own my own trucking company, luckily that is doing great. we just opened another operation in Florida. so i'm not really making any sacrifices for my company. but if i had to i'm pretty sure that i would take a pay cut for my employees.

March 27, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  141. austin

yes because if you lay people off there wold be no one there to help run the store and there's no way one person can run the place by them self. so yes i would do the same so that my buisness wouldent get shut down.

March 27, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  142. Osakis, MN 4th Graders

We would take a pay cut if it meant taking care of our employees too. It's the right thing to do.

March 27, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  143. Julz

I personally would not because I want to make a living to get things I need, even though I do care about others!

March 27, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  144. seth

I thank that people shound love thare neighbor as thare self.

March 27, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  145. Blake

I would most definitely reduce the money I got from my business (if I had one). I feel that this is actually necessary, because when you have more pay for others they tend to work harder, and then you are able to make more of a product, which means more customers.

March 27, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  146. Bill

You could fire employees so you get a better salary but that would just make our economy worse.

March 27, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  147. Brelynn

I commend the employers who scaifice their pay to maintain ALL of their workers. also, when you don't pay yourself, you can get more MONEY LATER ON IN THE YEAR!!!!!!! THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND!

March 27, 2009 at 8:16 pm |
  148. Sage

I would give as much as I could. I wouldn't really mind taking some savings, unless i need them for something important or necessary. Besides that I would be fine with taking a pay cut to give hard-working, loyal people enough money to support themselves.

March 27, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  149. savannah

I pesonally would take a major pay-cut for my employes cause our economy isn't gonna get any better in less we help each other out like a team.

March 27, 2009 at 9:40 pm |
  150. chad

I wouldent be able to take a pay cut because I would have to think about family first a family alwas comes first.

March 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  151. chad

I wouldent be able to take a pay cut because I would have to think about what could go wrong if i took a pay cut i just wouldent be able to do it.

March 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  152. suly

I would certainly make a cut for me for my employs because who wants employs that say "our boss is a big jerk he won't even sacrifice a couple of bucks for us"

March 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  153. james

no,i'm sure i will not to cut my pay for my parterner,because, we are same, we are work for somebody,the different is i'm not be fired yet

March 28, 2009 at 12:06 am |
  154. KIM

yes I'll probably do that

March 28, 2009 at 3:07 am |
  155. john

I would take a major paycut because workers usually work harder when they have a job that they know thier not at risk of being fired.

March 28, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  156. Jackie

I think it depends on the employees that would work there. If they did what they were supposed to and did their share and maybe then some, then yes I would take a pay cut. But if they were lazy and slacked off, then of course not. No Pay Cut for them!

March 28, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  157. melanie

i would take some of my pay check to give to my employees if i trust them well enough

March 28, 2009 at 9:22 pm |
  158. Dave

Yes I would help my employees during the recession.

March 29, 2009 at 4:35 am |
  159. Sunwoo

I would take a pay cut because I think taking a pay cut is better than a business's bankrupt. But if the business be better, I would increase the pay.

March 29, 2009 at 7:06 am |
  160. lin

maybe

March 29, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  161. Kristyna

I might lower everyone's pay by 50 cents and mine by 1-3 dollars. I would want to keep everyone employed, yet I would also need to make money in order to pay the bills.

March 29, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  162. Juan

I would have done the same thing because it would keep my business from going bankrupt and it could help my employees

March 29, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  163. Jose'

well, I was sort of raised that giving money away is wasteful since it's an "every man for himself" kind of world, but i guess I could take a pay cut. but if my family itself is taking a toll on my actions, I'd probably stop the pay cut. so I'm kind of on the neutral side.

March 29, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  164. Ryane

Yep. We're all in this together. Big fan of the show. Just keeps getting better and better.

March 29, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  165. Grace

If my employees were loyal and were worth keeping, I wouldn't mind lowering my salary for them. If I have no employees, there will be no business. A few dollars off me isn't that important. Also, if the employees were good, they would understand if I had to cut their pay a bit.

March 29, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  166. mackenzie b

yes to the ones we don't need and don't work a lot or as hard or both

March 29, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  167. Cathryn

Even if I might suffer from losing money, my employees would be hit the hardest if Iet them go, and unemploying someone in this economy would be like throwing them off a cliff.

March 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  168. Brett

As amazing as it may seem a lot of company’s owners have to take cuts. Much like my father’s company, he’s taking extreme cuts just to keep his managers employed and it’s somewhat depressing if you ask me because it wasn’t always like this. I just hope that Osama… I mean Obama can fix it.

March 30, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  169. Jessica

I think its awesume they are willing to take a pay cut. At my mothers work a bunch of the higher ups have actually embezzeled money- which has made them cut a lot of poeple and pay. I would probably take a pay cut, but i would probably give everyone a small one to make ends meet.

March 30, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  170. Alissa

I would take a pay cut as long as I could still afford the things I need.

March 30, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  171. Griffin

I think it takes a real, dedicated manger to cut his/her own pay to pay his/her employees. I'm glad there are managers out there that are willing to do something like that instead of just letting off most of their workers. Thankfully I am working at McDonald's right now and we are actually hiring more people.

March 30, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  172. Tylerbeav

I believe it would be a very exemplary action to take, but i don't think i could do it myself.

March 31, 2009 at 8:18 am |
  173. david

i think thats cool and that would be good if my moms work there cause she losses her job in june

March 31, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  174. Marcus

My grandfather owns the Original Hot Dog Shop in PItt and I love the people who work there like family and would give any thing to help them out.

March 31, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  175. Meghan

Our economy is struggling. We all need to help each other out. If i was a small business owner, I would take a pay cut to help my employees. I hired them and it is up to me to make sure that they get their pay check. It is just what we have to do to help everyone get what they need.

April 1, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  176. Melissa

Of course I would, how could I be so cold-hearted?

April 1, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  177. Nicholas

Hi, Carl. I am a guy from Beijing, China. I would take a pay cut to avoid layoffs if I were the owner of a business, which means you are helping yourself. Helping your employees will let them scratch your back in the future.

April 2, 2009 at 4:07 am |
  178. Me

I would never take a pay cut. I would find the best solution to divide the pay of the employers, and ease the mood with a party. I would cut costs around the job, and when my buisness fails I would have enough money to start a new one or retire. Cause I love money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 2, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  179. Selena

Our economy is going by way of the toilet and although i have the upmost confidence in Obama i dont see it getting better in the near future. I would definatly give up a pay check or two to keep my imployees around, not only because it might help them in the long run, but in a small buisness you really get to know your co-workers more as friends then as co-workers. I would hate to fire my friends and have to know that i am responsible for their down fall. If it came to it i would forgo half of my pay checks to keep people at my buisness.

April 2, 2009 at 6:54 pm |
  180. george

i would because it would save the company

April 3, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  181. Nick

that is pretty dumb to take a major patcut peroid

April 6, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  182. Blake

Why would you take a paycut? You wouldn't have money to help your family. You hane to pay the bills and your morgage. Thats why!

April 6, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  183. Jacob

My dad owns a mulch company and I know for a fact he would. I myself know everyone there and I would also do it.

April 6, 2009 at 2:15 pm |