.
March 25th, 2009

Less Time at the Mall

You've seen the sales; you might've noticed thinner crowds than usual.  And you've definitely heard about how businesses are hurting in an injured economy.  But in yet another sign of how a recession can directly affect you, many shopping malls are looking to cut their hours in an attempt to save money.

Now you might be wondering how this can help them.  I mean, isn't it true that if you're open longer, you have a better chance of selling merchandise?  Maybe, but in some places, the money that some stores are making is so little right now that it's actually better for them to pay less in electricity and staff salaries.  And one sure way to do that is to open later and close earlier.

A lot of you have told us that you like going to the mall when you're free.  We'd like to know what you'll do if they're not open when you want to hang out.

Filed under: Feedback • News Coverage
  1. Sandoval

Now that there will be less time to spend at the mall, students can actually do their homework.

March 25, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  2. scooch

I'll invite them to my home to hang out. Play video games, play some golf, rent a movie, etc.

March 25, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  3. James

If the mall isnt open id probably go fishing or go chill on the beach

March 25, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  4. Emma

I have no idea what I am going to do without the mall. I go there pretty much everyday and go shopping. It is one of the greatest inventions in America. My thoughts are jumbled at the site of this outrageous disappointment.

March 25, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  5. Allison

I don't think that people are going to be that affected, honestly. Most people go to the mall in the middle of the day, so if they open a little later and close a little earlier, I don't think its gonna end the world.

March 25, 2009 at 1:10 pm |

This would be horrible if malls around me did this. Its not just a place to shop but to hang with my friends. Some time to get away from everything and everyone.

March 25, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  7. Lorenzo

I LOVE the mall! I can't believe they are doing this! It's an outrage! The mall is my life!

March 25, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  8. Kacie

I think that there are other forms of entertainment than the mall... People are freaking out about all of these little changes businesses are having to make because of the economy. What ever happened to playing outside? Its just that simple.

March 25, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  9. BrookieBear

I hope the mall goes out of business, it means nothing to me. It is just a waste of money that could be spent on helping the homeless or feeding desperate animals.

March 25, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  10. Randi/Miranda

Id go muddin or hunt some deer

March 25, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  11. gee ann

i'll start a petition and chain myself to the door until they let me in. because i think that if they want their buisness to get more money, they should change their times to when it's more convenient for the majority of the population.. and when i'm there, so is everyone else.

March 25, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  12. Nico

I would go to the park and play soccer with some friends

March 25, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  13. Brendan

If the malls hour was shortened i would probably just hang out with friends or just play basketball thats what i usually do any way

March 25, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  14. Emma

The mall makes my day, I hope that one day everyone will feel the way I do. And they will invest millions of dollars towards clothes so that there is more styles. The money isn't going anywhere else much more important. So, LET'S HELP DA MALLZ!

March 25, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  15. Kacie

The mall is lame. Nobody cares about this situation. We could be learning about Obama or other important news.

March 25, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  16. Brendan

In Palm Coast we don't got malls we got Wall Mart. So im gon chill at wall mart like i usually do

P.S.
    Holla if u Hear Me

March 25, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  17. Makayla

If the mall is open shorter time, then there will be less people during the day because of school and work. But if you have it open later, more people will be able to come during the night, and businesses will sell more.

March 25, 2009 at 1:23 pm |

If the mall isn't open and I want to hang out with my friends, I'll probably have them come to my house or ask them if I could go to their house. The mall is the only place that has fashionable clothes.

March 25, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  19. Karisa

I would be extremely bored and sad if the mall hours are cut. I understand that because of the recession it would only make sense. But what can I say, I love to shop!!!!

March 25, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  20. L*OG@N

If the malls closed I would have a very tough time with this. I would have a tough time with this because one school shopping would be difficult because I there wouldn't be any stores to go shopping at. Also just to hang out with my friends it's a fun hang out spot.

March 25, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  21. Wes

If malls are open later than they ARE more likely to sell more. Nobody is really at the mall in the morning early afternoon time because we are all at school and work so mall time has to be on the weekend or at night. Unless you skip school........

March 25, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  22. Utau

Well, this doesn't really effect me. I don't like or go to malls, as, I don't like crowds and I can get half of that stuff at Walmart at a discount. But it seems logical to have less hours, if not that many people come it would be a boring day for the buisness anyway, so, why stay longer than necessary?

March 25, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  23. Bethanny Rose

This is a good idea ... with some exceptions. It needs to be opened later in the day for sure, because what high school student or young adult (major buyers at the mall) are out and about early in the day. But it needs to be open later. If it opens at noon and closes at five it doesn't leave time for people to get to them.
    I know that for me, I like about half an hour away from the mall and I have to watch my siblings after school. So if I want to go somewhere, I have to wait for my parents to get home. So if it closed earlier I would never get to go, and it's like that for many people.

March 25, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  24. jenna

i think that it is stupid that the malls will close earlier than they used to.

March 25, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  25. happy face

I would go see a movie! It is way more entertaining than shopping ,although it is fun to shop!

March 25, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  26. Cameron

Oh my gosh! That would be a disaster! when I go to the mall I usually stay for like. . . 2-5 hours. I can't believe that they would go this low!

March 25, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  27. Venuz

Hey Carl, well where should I buy my clothes now that the hightpoint mall is closing. My advice is to go on a yard sale even though i hate it

March 25, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  28. casey :)

That is so not cool! Me and my friends love to go to the mall!

March 25, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  29. Nick

i think the nano is just a death trap on wheels

March 25, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  30. Adam

I almost never go to the mall. I live in a pretty small town, and there's no mall. Why, the town is so small, second street is in the next city.

March 25, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  31. Curlz

I can see how people are changing hours because of the recession, people are buying less things.

March 25, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  32. Cody

I think the stores that are closing early are obviously the ones no one wants to buy from. If no one goes in anyway no one will be missing the stores while they close. As long as it aint any of the sport stores im ok with it....

March 25, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  33. Caroline

I wolud probably practice my volleyball so I can get better. OR watch cnn student news!!!!!!!!!!

March 25, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  34. hannah

my favorite store to hang out is Hollister and if they close I dont know where i would hang out.Also I would try to bribe people to go to Hollister so it wouldn't close because of the really bad ecomony!!!!!

March 25, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  35. $Brandon

Carl, If the mall was closed when I wanted to hang out I wold ride to my friends house and see if they can come over or I would beg my father to go the movies!!!

March 25, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  36. Kelly

I would just go to after school activities because they are free and a fun way to spend time with friends.

March 25, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  37. brandy

I think that it is smart because then we can save electricity, but you can still get your shopping down. I fell bad for Jason and his girlfriend, but he will live.

March 25, 2009 at 9:20 pm |
  38. Dillan

If malls are planning on closing earlier they should open when people get of work and kids are done with school, they should open in the evening and close at about 9 PM. However on public holidays they should stay open the whole day. If the mall wasn’t open when I would want to hang out it would be cool with me because there is so many other things to do but it is fun hanging out at the mall. Other things like staying home and watching a movie, or playing video games, or playing outside or even reading a book isn’t that bad. There are too many other things used to entertain people in the world and I wouldn’t see how the mall being closed when you want to hang out there is a bad thing. After all if you’re a business owner and are short on money you would want to make the store hours as short as possible.

March 25, 2009 at 9:29 pm |
  39. Voldmort

Only three words: THEN DON'T GO!

March 26, 2009 at 3:13 am |
  40. Subin

I think I'll just sleep for a couple of hours and then study for the coming mid-term exams.

March 26, 2009 at 4:06 am |
  41. Michael

I don`t really go to the mall that much. I just sit around on the computer.

March 26, 2009 at 7:02 am |
  42. Wonny

I would go to the movies. 🙂

March 26, 2009 at 7:56 am |
  43. josh

the mall is like my second home if they close there might be riots the are the only place where you can have all of the good stores close together. they should try to bail out malls instead of AIG.

March 26, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  44. Leanna :)

I don't know what I would do! I DO NOT support this!!!!

March 26, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  45. Charlotte

i would cry. the mall is my second home. i spend every single free minute there. i can walk around with my eyes shut, and still get to abercrombie!

March 26, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  46. Alexandria

I don't go to the mall very much because I am always doing homework or helping my family with things.

March 26, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  47. Katie

i think the malls should'nt have brought up there prices because, the more they bring the prices the less people will come and shop. What im saying is that the malls are losing money. 😀

March 26, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  48. Jayce

I think there should be more time at the mall because then we could stay at the mall longer and the malls actually get more money than usual.

March 27, 2009 at 12:07 am |
  49. muffin

i want my money i worked verrryyy hard to get it. and others don,t need my money. if they need money thy should get a job. 😀

March 27, 2009 at 8:11 am |
  50. Adam

I don't go to the mall that often, but if I did and I couldn't go, I probably would just invite my friends over to my house. I also would just be happy playing computer or video games alone.

March 27, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  51. Z

I think that It's A Terrid (combonation of terrible and horrd) Idea,
    Why again would they do this, IT"S AN INJUSTICE!!!

March 27, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  52. john

I never go to the mall, but if I did, and it wasn't open, I would probably
    go to my friends house and start a game of soccer or play video games.

March 27, 2009 at 9:27 pm |
  53. suly

I think its a good idea to close malls earlier becuase girls (unlike me) spend to much time there when they could be doing better things. Plus you'll save some cash.

March 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  54. Nck

I don't really spend alot of time at the mall. But if they were closed when i wanted to go, I would probably just foget it and go skate

March 28, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  55. Jackie

I think it's a very bad idea to close the malls earlier because that's where all of the teenagers flock to for summer jobs and after-school hangouts.

March 28, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  56. Dave

If the mall was closed by anyother chances I would go to the park or the museum and hang around alone or with family memebrs or friends

March 29, 2009 at 4:37 am |
  57. Kristyna

Because malls are closed earlier nowadays, I find fun in spending more time outside with friends. On warm days some of my friends and I will walk around town and stop at a coffee shop. It's a great way to hang out, have fun, and get closer to your friends.

March 29, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  58. Haleigh

i have not seen thinner crowds at all in the mall at myrte beach, south carolina. i think they have actually gotten a lot more people! There is not a sign of an economic scare in south carolina.

March 30, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  59. Big Red

You don't always have to go to the mall to have a good hang out time. Try doing the old fashioned way for once, going outiside, hang with friends, stuff like that.

March 30, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  60. Teresa

no i dont think it is GOOD idea that the mall stores are closing earlyer then before !!

March 30, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  61. stefan

i think malls closing earlier is not cool they would make less money and.and you can just chill in the mall

March 30, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  62. Aryanna

I would hate to have to go to the mall and only have so much time because all of the stores close to early and you never get the good stuff r good sales if they close to early. I would hate to go and not be able to be in a store for only about 5 minutes because they have to close TO EARLY!

March 31, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  63. Marcus

I think that it is a good idea to close earlier because that will stop people from just hanging out at the mall which is probably one of the reasons that their doing it.

March 31, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  64. Marissa

Well, I rarely go to the mall in the first place, but for those times I do go I could replace it with playing a game, inviting friends over, reading, swimming, walking around the neighborhood.
    There's so many things to do rather than the mall. I mean, yeah, sure, you can chill in a mall, but you can ALSO chill in a house.
    And in a pool.
    And in a dozen other places.

The mall isn't the only option.

And about the "thinner crowds" comment, the last time I went to the mall it was bustling with people. And they DID have bags. And the bags looked pretty heavy.

March 31, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  65. Tyeisha

We can go to the library or maybe go to the park or invite them to my house.

March 31, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  66. Andy

I'll go to a coffee shop with some friends, possibly bring my iPod. The mall where I live is deteriorating – the Hallmarks that had been there for 25+ plus years is dying.

April 1, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  67. jessica

I would most likely study more.

April 1, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  68. elenna

i think it is an OK idea because the teenagers always are at the mall for practicly the whole day and that could become bad thing to the worried parents.

April 1, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  69. Dani

I like going to the mall to shop so I understand how some people feel. I know that the mall is a plase that people like to hangout at but that's not wat the people that work there want. The people that work there want people to be there to buy stuff but most people don't.

April 1, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  70. seth

I think that people should stay home and be a family.
    I think that people should stay home and enjoy life
    In stad of going to the mall.

April 1, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  71. kristen

Yes I think the mall should close sooner because people are there TOO MUCH. I really don't hang out at the mall so I wounldn't know but people spend TOO MUCH time there. People should be at home more TO ENJOY THE SIMPLE JOYS OF LIFE.

April 1, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  72. SeanBT

I think thats messed up because i want to hang with my friends andhave fun at the mall.

April 1, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  73. Kira

If my favorite mall was closed I would go to my next favorite mall and hope their open.

April 1, 2009 at 7:08 pm |
  74. Destiny

NO, NO, NO, NO!!! That would be horrible!

April 1, 2009 at 9:32 pm |
  75. brady

I do not think they should cut time from the mall. They said they was not many people in parts of the day. I say just move the start and close time back, and they should get more people there.

April 2, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  76. Janee

Now that the stores are loosing money & some malls might be closed down. we wont have anything else to but go to the park & do our homework. Which is kind of good. Considering the fact that half of the worlds population is obese. Its actually helping the kids.

April 2, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  77. Jackie

If the malls closed I would probably die. There would be no way to get cute clothes unless there was a store that had there own chain of different stores. that would be like traveling a very long way to go to just one store with no other stores to look at. There shouldn't be any thought about closing the malls.

April 2, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  78. sarah

I think that if the malls were closed they would sell even less merchandise than now. They should keep their regular hours because if they close down more people who work there are going to lose workiing hours and even more people will have less money, which is not smart.

April 2, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  79. Cynthia

If the mall was closed earlier, I would feel devastated, but on my free time, I would hang out with friends, go to the movies, and do something useful with my free time. I'd most likely watch T.V or be on the computer because that's what I do on like a daily basis, but if I could choose I would go out with friends. I hope the mall does not close early now, but if it ever does, those are my alternatives.

April 2, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  80. Tatyana

Well for me as a shopper I feel as though that their are pros (+)and cons(-) to the situation that we are to uphold.Some of which are that the number of customers will increse highly depending on what time the store will cose and or open.(or both) also, the company and /or store will sell more merchandise depending on what store they choose and the sale prices.In my opinion if the mall was closed down before I wanted to chill or hang out then I would not be mad really i Would wait (even though I have low patience).I learned durin life that you hve to make saucrifices to get waht yuo want.

April 2, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  81. Tania

The malls should NOT close earlier!!!!! I love hanging out at the mall with my friends and shopping. The malls should just open later because nobody gets up really early.

April 2, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  82. Me

I couldn't live without the mall. Where would I get my shoes, my sharkies and 6 rings. And what about the movies and ice cream and cinnamon pretzels. I need the mall

April 2, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  83. Alanna

This is insane. Who doesn't love the mall. IF YOU'RE A WEALTHY MANAGER OF A MALL READ THIS: You should stay open longer because when I'm bored I go to the mall with my friends. If the mall is closed then I'm gona be forced to be in the streets. You wouldn't want to be held responsible for a little kid being put out on the streets would you. STAY OPEN LONGER!

April 2, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  84. DCQ

There would be more time to do other things, probably more important than spending money.

April 2, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  85. Sidney

I have to say, the mall is quite AMAZING, but with the ressesion going on, I only shop in stores if they have sales.

April 3, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  86. Sophia

If the mall isn't open, I would probably watch TV at my house or invite my friends over.

April 3, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  87. Anabel

For all of the Shopoholichs it might be hard for them to cut time at the mall, they are mostly about the malls. But there is also more to life than just spending money. I like to shop once in a while but not every single day of my life! Ya...

April 6, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  88. Awesome!!!

Dude the mall completley needs 2 stay open if it doesnt i'll be forced to go to like Target and Target is kinda ummmmmm... well horrible sucks kinda and umm you get my point i mean the mall provides like everything music, games, pretzels (awesome), and everything else that's as awesome as me! No one as much as they try to denie it cannot live without the mall and that's 1 true fact!!!!!!! Although if a couple suckish stores closed i wouldn't mind like hallmark or something.

April 6, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  89. Lia

I would take my friends to the park, the library, my backyard or to the store that's were we would hang out.

April 7, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  90. Beth

I love shoping. If only my mom would let me walk around the mall by my self! And walk around town.

April 7, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  91. Dannika

i love goin to the mall its so much fun
    you dont have to shop you can just hang out
    thats what i usually do
    sometimes i buy stuff and others take pics and sit and talk
    and be crazy like we are
    its just a normal thing

April 8, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  92. Brian

I think that's a HORRIBLE idea. That's the only place I can get food and buy video games at the same time! Who thought of this useless idea anyway?

April 8, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  93. Aaliyah

I do not think you should spend less time at the mall because if you got the money just go.But for the people that are shop acholics need to stay away from the mall sometimes because they should spend there money on something good like bills!

April 8, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  94. Samer

Awww no they just messed it up badly. im saying that is the main hang out spot even though i dont hang there.They SHOULD Not do that at all.
    you people see i am defending your needs to keep the ours the same.

April 8, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  95. Lupita

OMG!!! If there will be no plenty mall hours than i will die!!!!!! The mall is a place were you go out and shop with friends and families so what's the point. But during that time that people won't go, the mall/mini stores will not be getting money as usual!!! Think about it! What would you do?

April 9, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  96. Jennyfer

well there is a reason why people go to the mall its to buy stuff right??But if the mall wasn't open i would go to the park, visit friends, or do something fun with my friends!!

April 9, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  97. Cailie

Ok so they have been telling us to spend more money to get us going right? Well if all the stores close in the mall that what do we do then? I think that saving money is what we need to do not spend it. Like going to prom and buying the dress and hair spray. 1 the hair spray just pollutes our earth. 2 the dress yah it's pretty but you only wear it once. Cailie:)

April 14, 2009 at 1:22 pm |