March 23rd, 2009

Away Games Only

The teams are from India, but none of the games are being played there.  The country's new cricket league is having away games ONLY this year because of security concerns.

This is like the NFL holding all of its games in Japan or Argentina!

Thankfully, that's not going to happen here.  But it brings up the question:  Would you still watch your favorite teams on TV if they didn't actually play in the U.S.?  Or do you think you'd be less into professional sports if the games were all played in other countries?

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Voldmort

Carl, if Indians are so distressed about their favorites playing in Japan or Timbucktoo or wherever, why they weren't so moody when their national team was playing in Beijing?

It's just a fuss around everything. If Phelps or Pittsburg Pirates(they are my favorites) goes to Siberia to play, I'll just sit in my chair and watch them playing without a single hatred or remorse.(Although I can't think Phelps would even survive in that cold wasteland.)

March 24, 2009 at 2:51 am |
  2. Lyra

I'm not so into sports anyways so it doesn't matter to me.

March 24, 2009 at 3:14 am |
  3. Subin

If my favorate team played only in different contries, I would still like them. It's better if i see them on TV and they would also spred good feeling about our contry in other places (If they won many games, that is ^.^).

March 24, 2009 at 3:25 am |
  4. Jasha

I would still love the sport, but I think having games in our country makes it more fun. It would inspire many people. Also, people with dreams of being a pro playing the sport would have a better chance to fulfill their dreams

March 24, 2009 at 3:45 am |
  5. Axekayla

away only games are cruel. ONLY is the part i would hate
    i wouldbe very disappointed

March 24, 2009 at 3:58 am |
  6. Mark&Hannah

the u s should play the games in other countries
    at least"this is not my country" should be a proper excuse for losing the game

March 24, 2009 at 4:08 am |
  7. Carl

nope.. i would still love it all the same
    but i would always be wishing that the game would be played in our home country

March 24, 2009 at 4:09 am |
  8. Mrs. Coffman's Homeroom

We believe if the sports were played in other countries, they would be less interesting to us. The game would probably be more interesting for the people in that specific country.

March 24, 2009 at 8:15 am |
  9. Adam

I'm really not that into sports, so I'm not too concerned about it, but my dad would probably panic. But I do love to go to Detroit to see the Tigers play baseball.

March 24, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  10. Samantha

I think that they should play in there own country because it is not right to play there games in a different country.

March 24, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  11. Shawn

i think its not very cool because us players should be playing in the usa

March 24, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  12. christina

I think that their game should be played in there own country if they are so concerned about safty!

March 24, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  13. Drew

I think that cool to have away games only just because.

March 24, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  14. mariah

i think that its wong because they have to play in the U.S instead of India where all they fans are

March 24, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  15. Joel

I think I would still watch the Teams because it really dosent matter where they play. You could still watch on tv. Watching it on tv is still ok.

March 24, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  16. Madi

I think that it is a good idea for the teams to have only away games, i mean it's for their safety anyways!

March 24, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  17. Madi

If it is for the players safety I think they should have away games only!

March 24, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  18. Leanna :)

That's the same as the NFL so what's the big deal?

March 24, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  19. Jen Jen

Well, I would rather have a team play out of country, and be able to watch them play, than have them play in thier own country and be killed on the playing field, and never be able to watch them play again.

March 24, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  20. damian

I would trust them even if they were in china

March 24, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  21. Jessica

I would probably still watch the games if they were in other countries, but it would kind of make me feel like the team wasn't one of the United States teams, but one of the other countries teams and i wouldn't be as interested in them as now.

March 24, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  22. Petey

I would still watch my favorite teams but there wouldn't really be a way you could get more involved or intereact with the atheletes that our country loves.

March 24, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  23. Bethanny Rose

I think that people would probably watch the games less if they were aired in another country, probably because it's just not happening here. People like it best when the thing they are rooting for is on their own turf. But the true fans would definatly watch it no matter what country it is in. I would watch baseball if it were aired in another counrty. It might make it a bit more exciteing! And the team I love might actually play someone interesting!

March 24, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  24. Kirstie

I would still watch and support the teams that i like because they didn't have very much of a choice to move. If they could have stayed and played home games, they would have. But i would rather the team be safe than risking their lives to play. I think it is even more professional to keep people safe.

March 24, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  25. Jason

I am from Seattle and I am a HUGE seahawks fan and if they were to be moved into another country to play I would be devastated but I would still watch them on TV because I would still be a fan. Just because something you love moves doesn't mean you stop loving it.

March 24, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  26. Josh

I would still watch my favorite team because I'm still so far away from them anyways that it wouldn't be make a difference. I wouldn't be less into professional sports mainly because it what I grew up on. Sports, especially football, are my whole life.

March 24, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  27. Ryan

I think that I would still watch my favorite professional sports teams on T.V because I love sports and it wouldn’t matter to me if they were played in a different place. It’s still the same as watching it if they were playing in another state.

March 24, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  28. Alyssa

I don't think it's fair that they cant have home games but I would still watch the games. They are our teams we have to be supportive. They are representing us so we should be supportive.

March 24, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  29. Cassie

I would still watch my team even if they didn't play in the U.S. because even if they played in a different country because it's not like the team is any different than any other times they've played so why not.

March 24, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  30. Petey

I would still watch my favorite teams but there wouldn’t really be a way you could get more involved or interact with the athletes that our country loves.

March 24, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  31. ChAbOi

I know that I would be more interested all around on how my favorite teams are doing. If I couldn't go to a game and watch, then I would want to get more involved in another way, and I would watch all the games on t.v., as I do now already when I can't make it to a game.

March 24, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  32. Ronda

i guess if my country was super cousious about security and the safty of thers and think that having certain activitys play away from there home front and away from there country will help and be a major contrbution then so be it.there just trying something out, and trying something new. i think thats awsome and respect that idea.then again it may take awhile to accept and addapt to. but thats what change does, right?
    🙂

March 24, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  33. Cheyenne

I think i would still watch and be interested in professional sports even if they were played in a different country. It doesn't matter what country (or continent) the sport is played in, i think it is just a matter of watching and enjoying your favorite sport.

March 24, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  34. Cody!!!!!!!!

I would want to play in front of my home crowd so i get more cheers so that i what i think about it

March 24, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  35. Justin

I think it is good for a while but they will have to play home sometime

March 24, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  36. Nicholas

I think it's dumb not to be able to play in the country where your sport is from. If I couldn't play any of my sports in Michigan let alone the United States I wouldn't play at all.

March 24, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  37. Jared

I can understand that they don't want the teams playing in their own country because of the danger. They could be doing really well and everybody has their own team that they like then an attack many people are devastated and the players injured or killed. Then other people would be scared to join the league for being scared of being killed or seriously injured.

March 24, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  38. Alyssa

I think it is very interesting that a team for India has to go to other countries to play, but I understand why they do that since a bus got invaded by militants, but it is still sad that fan have to watch their favorite team on TV instead of being there.

March 24, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  39. Travis!!!

I would be mad because i go to a few of my favorite teams game but i would still be cheering them on.

March 24, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  40. Joe

I would still watch it on tv. Although most people in India probably dont have a tv.

March 24, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  41. S@die

I might like that game. Maybe if it was catching crickets. It sounds better there way not my way. I'd call it, "Catching the Crickets Live".

March 24, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  42. Austin

I think i wouldn't watched them becuase it would be stuped to watch some sport or some game out of my contry.

March 24, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  43. John

Only away games what's that about, they should have home games to so the fans at home can go and see the games because if I were one of those people wanted to drive out there it would be hard for them because the gas prices are up!

March 24, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  44. Bryce

I would still watch them because it makes no different. But it would make it more interesting to see different people watching our sport and to see who their favorite teams are.

March 24, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  45. Dan

My favorite sport, soccer, is played all over the world. If my favorite team had to play their games outside of the country i would still watch them on TV. This is good for the people who want to watch their favorite teams without the expence and crowds.

March 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  46. Nikki

I believe that yes I would still be entertained by watching my favorite teams in another country, however I believe my attention would fade over time. Being able to see my favorite teams in person allows me to be more involved in the sport verse sitting on the couch being lazy. It's fun to be able to get out of the house to enjoy something that can be replayed on t.v. any day.

March 24, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  47. Felicia

I LOVE SOFTBALL!!!!!!!
    I think if it too dangerous to play sports in the US, our police department needs a serious talking to. Also, I think if we can't rely on our own country to keep people safe, it isn't a true free country is it?

March 24, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  48. Jimmy

Naturally I would still watch my team if they weren't playing here, I can’t see that changing, but I would feel a certain pity for them. There is a certain pride sports players experience when playing on their own turf and it is a real shame that these teams can’t have that.

March 24, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  49. Eric

Although I wouldn’t like it, would still watch my favorite teams play if they didn’t play in the U.S. it wouldn’t matter to me where they played I would always stand by them.

March 24, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  50. Katie

I would definitely still watch my favorite teams on TV. Well it depends on if the team was still representing my state and if they still practiced in the U.S.! What difference would it make where the games are if they’re still our team. We should stand behind them no matter what, besides unless you’re a season ticket holder you’re most likely going to be watching the games on TV anyways.

March 24, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  51. Kayla

If my favorite professional team had to play all away games I would still be interested in them I just wouldn’t be as excited knowing that I could never get the chance to watch them play live, unless I traveled along with them and spent lots of money.

March 24, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  52. KYLE

i really dont find it fair to the people who have admiration for the sport if they have a large fan base in india play there take the risk and give the prople what they love

March 24, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  53. Andrea

I think that entertainment in video games is kind of interesting because instead of getting up and going outside and being with family they sit in their homes and play games. They should get up and do something with the family outside.

March 24, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  54. Taylor

I really dont think that its fair for people who have been fans their whole life have to watch their beloved sport on tv. Nad watch another country at games in which they should be there.

March 24, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  55. Alexis

A sport being playing within ones country adds to the overall patriotism that, say, football, generates. And yet we still cheer on our favorite team for their away games. I do not think that the game being played out of the country will limit TV viewers, but it will decrease the number of diehard fans who go to every game and follow the team everywhere. If people are not able to easily attend the games, the team/sports overall popularity will go down. Same goes with cricket. The newly formed league will eventually lose some of its initial popularity and in the long run, might even fold due to lack of interest and support from their country.

March 24, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  56. KYLE

I really don’t find it fair to the people who have admiration for the sport if they have a large fan base in India play there take the risk and give the people what they love. If they took the NFL away from the American people we would all be ticked off at what happened.

March 24, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  57. Monique

That's so cool. I never knew they played cricket in India =]
    Oh yea Carl you should definetly give a shoutout to Coach Cato's World History lass. You'd be the coolest man alive!

March 24, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  58. Kellyanne

I think it is wrong that india is forced to play in a different country, it is only right that they play in their own place, since its their own fans, and game.

March 24, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  59. Brandon

Yes because that means you'll be seeing other professional athletes that are not from America.

March 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  60. Laney

I probably would if I was really into that sport but if I wasn't then I would probably give it up. Why would you want to watch your fav sport if it isn't even live! I wouldn't!!!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 7:12 pm |
  61. Carly

Although I enjoy to watch any sport and love to play them, I have little knowledge on "cricket". I think that it would stink that you can't actualy go to a game unless you wanted to leave the country!! It would definaltly be a fun experiance for the players to travel and be known in different parts of the world though!!! 🙂

March 24, 2009 at 7:32 pm |
  62. Garrett

I would definately watch my favorite team even if they played their games in another country. If you are watching the games on T.V. then it doesnt make any difference where they play them.

March 24, 2009 at 7:40 pm |
  63. Hannah

I think it depends on the sport. If it was my favorite and started playing out of the US, I would probably still watch it. It also would depend on what person you are. If you are a sports person I am guessing you would watch it still. If you are a non sports person, you probably wouldn't even watch it even if they still were playing in the U.S.!

March 24, 2009 at 9:05 pm |
  64. Dillan

Away games are good and bad depending on what perspective you look at it. In my opinion I wouldnt have a problem with my fovorite team playing in a dfifferent country, but I must be able to watch them on T.V, although some home games could be nice. However the crowd for the away team would not have much fans to cheer them on (its allways like that)and that may affect the team. Anyways sometimes you just have to follow rules and you cant do anything about it !

March 24, 2009 at 9:08 pm |
  65. Nicole

I think that for the protection of the players that they should play somewhere else. Our country would do the same. If violence were to break out, there would be controversy over more countries playing inside of their own country.

March 24, 2009 at 9:11 pm |
  66. Alli

If i really enjoyed watching the sport then I would still watch it but if it was something that I felt like watching when I was bored I would not even think about watching it if it was in another country.

March 24, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  67. Drew

I know I would continue to watch my favorite team, because regardless of where they play, they're still my favorite team.

March 25, 2009 at 12:08 am |
  68. Carl

i think it is very interesting that a team for India has to go to other countries to play, but I understand why they do that since a bus got invaded by militants, but it is still sad that fan have to watch their favorite team on TV instead of being there.

india's problems require the game location to be outside the country

March 25, 2009 at 1:47 am |
  69. Joyce

I don't think it would matter. Just as long the game plays.

March 25, 2009 at 7:37 am |
  70. Juny

Actually I am interested in watching all kinds of sports. But anyway, I will not watch the games on TV because my favorite team will not be able to show their best ability in the game because they are playing games that have different surroundings. If they have a match in the American stadium, they will be more familiar with the features of the stadium and take advantage of it.

March 25, 2009 at 7:56 am |
  71. Natacia

i enjoy hangout with family and friends and having a good time

March 25, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  72. Natacia

i would becasue no matter what country they are in they will always be my favorite team. I say i would because i like to watch new things in sports and see how other countries play the sport because they play probably play it different from how we play and is also good to watch different things on t.v.

March 25, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  73. DeOndre'

I would still watch the teams but it would'nt be as fun as it would be to go see them in person and with the economy like this i dont think anyone would go over seas to see a game when its gonna show on tv.

March 25, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  74. Matt

I think it's a good idea because then you have 40,000 less cars on the rode that day. Then they can watch it on T.V.

March 25, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  75. Wes

I think if people are more worried about fighting and doing bad tings at games then they shouldn't go they should go to have fun and watch the game. Security should not be an issue.

March 25, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  76. Spencer

I think that only having away games would be terrible and that the number of cricket fans in India would rapidly decrease.

March 25, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  77. Nick

i think that the nano is cheap but not safe

March 25, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  78. hannah

I think it depends on the sport and the person.I m the kind of person who likes the bears.It really depends!!!

March 25, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  79. Kelly

If I really enjoyed the sport then yes, but at the same time I wouldn't want to have to leave my family and friends.

March 25, 2009 at 9:12 pm |
  80. Michael

I would support my teem all the way.

March 26, 2009 at 7:03 am |
  81. Skittles

yes, of course, if they're your favorite team or sport, you would probably watch them anytime like me

March 26, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  82. Charlotte

dont really care. if i really like the team, then i would go, but if not, then why should i?

March 26, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  83. Eleena

I think that it's not fair because that they have to leave their country. The game originated there and I think it should stay there. It's definitaly not fair for them to leave their country.

March 27, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  84. suly

Thats a wise decision to move the cricket team to another country because I don't think anyone whats the same fate of the last cricket team to happen to this one.

March 27, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  85. Dave

Yes I would still watch on t.v.

March 29, 2009 at 4:38 am |
  86. Kana

Away game only is cruel for both players and nations as spectator.
    It is hard for players to play the game in different countries because they must regualate their health according to the conditions there and it cost tooooooo much. Moreover, peoples cannot watch the games directly and in terms of time difference. The sports which cannnot be played are likely to disappear in India.

March 29, 2009 at 9:14 pm |
  87. Stacey

I would still watch them even if they played in a different country because they are still our teams. Also the teams will be safer and i dont know about you but i would rather play in a different country than be dead.

March 30, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  88. Tyeisha

I thnk that ti would be cool with if my team was playing in another country. I mean your team can't stay in one country forever.

March 31, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  89. jessica

It real boring watching sports anyways.

April 1, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  90. SeanBT

I could stay away from games but on a rainy day i play them just like anyone else.

April 1, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  91. Dylan

If all professional sports were played outside of the US I wouldn't care because it doesn't matter where they play at all that matters is that they are playing and as long as they are playing it wouldnt have any affect on me because I just watching them on tv.

April 2, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  92. Ericka

I say if I liked a team that much I would not care were they played because they are still the same team so i would stilll support them.

April 2, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  93. Thomas

Of course i would still watch the sport if it was in a different country! If you are playing football, whether it be in the united states or in Argentina, it is still football and the same sport.

April 2, 2009 at 8:57 pm |
  94. Anish

I am an Indian so i am a big fan of Cricket. I don't think it's fair if there are only away games. I mean indians want to actually go to games in India and watch the Indian cricket team play. It's Like if the NFL was held in Japan which meant Americans could only go to games to cheer for their teams by traveling overseas.

April 3, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  95. bryce

Hey its just a game, at least you get to watch it

April 6, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  96. Tyler

I think I still would be into sports but maybe not as much. I's always excited to go see the teams play at their home stadium. I feel bad for the people in India that like going to the games. But I would still watch the games on t.v.

April 6, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  97. Ian

I feel really sorry for the indians because they have to travel everytime they have a game if I were them I would move somewhere else and play a different sport but if you don't you might end up not being able to play any other sport and I would tell whoever you were playing with that you are going to do something else.

April 6, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  98. Labraea

Hey Carl, I personally would, but i dont think that many others would agree the same because its not the same. People like rooting for their own country.

April 7, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  99. Ricardo

I think that games are to play but to not try it on home.

April 9, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  100. carolina

well like I don't watch them that much, well actually I don't watch the sports so it really doesn't matter to me.

April 9, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  101. Abby

That would stinnnnnnk if the nfl had to play somewhere else. Then I couldn't go to the NY Giants games. I LOVE FOOTBALL WHO CARES IF I'M A GIRL!!!

April 14, 2009 at 4:20 pm |