March 16th, 2009

Tips for Getting Jobs

The U.S. unemployment rate is higher than it's ever been in your lifetime.  On Tuesday's show, you hear about the growing demand for jobs.  And right now, CNN.com has a special site dedicated to helping people find work.

Now, we're turning to you.  We want your tips, your suggestions, and your ideas on how to land a summer job.  Maybe you've got a great plan laid out, or maybe you made your resume so strong that your last employer couldn't help but hire you.  If you're willing to share your tips here, we're looking forward to reading them!

Carl Azuz, Anchor

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Melissa

This would be my first year trying to get a summer job. The first thing I would do to stand out is to be extremely respectful. This tactic always works for me, as long as you respect and treat someone well they will probably return the favor.

March 16, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  2. Xavier

Most of summer jobs (or at least in my village) includes jobs that are related to summer beaches. There's gonna be less tourists by the economic recession but in our town we haven't got anything BUT the beach. Anyway tourists are bound to come. So the tips:
    These jobs includes lifeguard. I or the villagers know nothing about lifeguard certificate. And there've been no official lifeguards in century. No deaths or accidents have happened either. So in our town if you are healthy, able to swim in seawater you are on the job. The trick is no Mohawk or Rock n Roll. Just good plain natural born hair and (this is for men) a good parts of muscle. Every job needs good looks. Beware for that.

This is not THAT good helping tips. CNN sites will be more help.

March 17, 2009 at 2:36 am |
  3. Yangcheon

U know what I noticed?
    When you are willing to get a good job, then you must have an attractive face, first
    that's my TIP of interview

March 17, 2009 at 3:40 am |
  4. DAVE

These are the tips for getting a Job:

No job or work is small to do so In the application I would write Open in the position.
    Next I would show my experience, it can be a volunteer work at a small franchise store
    In the salary I would put open
    I would talk in a professional mature way and be creative in answering this question of How are you going to help my business grow in this recession....
    I would agree to all terms and conditions respectfully....
    I would dress professionally and put on less make up

March 17, 2009 at 4:28 am |
  5. Rachel

SMILE

March 17, 2009 at 8:06 am |
  6. Sarah

My brother has a summer job last summer he liked it alot and he knew the boss, so that was one of reasons that he got it. Also he made his paper thing that he wrote really interesting

March 17, 2009 at 8:08 am |
  7. Courtney

I think that it is a good idea to get a summer job when your are at the correct age. I think that it would look good on your resamay and could help you get better jobs in the future.

March 17, 2009 at 8:08 am |
  8. Hannah

I think that if you can't get a normal job then you should start your own job like you could mow people's lawns or do a babysitting thing because even if you can't get a normal job then doing something simple is better than doing nothing at all.

March 17, 2009 at 8:08 am |
  9. Erin

I am a pre-teen and the way I make money is dog sitting and baby sitting. But how I get the job is a took classes for how to do them. How to keep the dogs and the children safe. That way I get hired rather that some one else. It is a really good way to make money for teens. I made over five hundred dollars over the summer.

March 17, 2009 at 8:08 am |
  10. Joey

Well I don't really have any tips for getting jobs, so I would just say get a job that you enjoy doing.

March 17, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  11. Aimee and Kaianne

Hmm, I suppose if we were to get a job, then it would be a job that you are experienced in. We wouldn't try to get a job that you don't know whats going on. Make sure you be polite, be mature, make sure your in a positive attitude. Always have a smile. Tell them you will always do the best you can.

March 17, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  12. Ellie

I've never had a summer job but right now I should probably try to find one........

March 17, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  13. Lauren

I would go to the small buisnesses and tell them why I need the job. ❤

March 17, 2009 at 8:10 am |
  14. Melanie, Dakota

I would just like I don't know something exciting!!!!!!!!! so you can stand out....and wont be like everyone else...yupp

March 17, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  15. Coach Wyatt's 1st Block

Our class says you should dress for success and wear a tie to your interview along with being very confidient in your abilites. All of our students love your Facebook Page. Keep up the good work.

Coach Wyatt's Class Dorman High School, Roebuck South Carolina

PLEASE GIVE US A SHOUT OUT!!!!!!! 😉

March 17, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  16. Laura

When going for an interview you should dress in formal clothes. You should be clean, relax, when in the interview. You should speak slowly so that the interview can understand what you are saying. Always act your age when in an interview.

March 17, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  17. Brett

I think that the best way to land a job is to be willing to work anywhere and have extremely quick reaction time. I’m attempting to find a job currently and it’s somewhat hard, but I hope that I can land something here shortly… I will have to see for myself.

March 17, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  18. Joshua

Some tips for getting a job are make a super strong resume and if you have had many jobs before don’t put them all on your resume, only put the jobs that look good and are relation to the job that you are trying to get. If you’re in a interview NEVER ask about how much you would get paid, let the person interviewing ask, but don’t ask them. Let them know that you are willing to stop at the bottom and work your way up, show that you want let them down and if you back up what you tell you'll do, that may mean a rise you fast.

March 17, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  19. Jesse

Obtaining a job for now is very hard. Even with a strong a resume, you still may be rejected. I would probably talk about your skills and experience not only on how much time you worked but what you are capable of. This kind of process is kind of discrimination. You got to do something that makes you stand out in a positive way.

March 17, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  20. Adam

The only summer job I've ever had in my life was a lemonade stand. I had just enough money to put a down payment on a pack of gum.

March 17, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  21. nick

i really dont have any smooth moves or tips but i'm 18 and i think that being 18 will help me get a job if it comes down to me and a 16 year old or anyone who is younger than i am

March 17, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  22. Sarah

I think that it’s really bad that teenagers might not get a summer job because of the economy. A good tip for getting a job would be having a good resume, having manners and when they ask you don’t just say to have spending cash. Another person might have a better reason why they need the job and the company will hire the other person over you because of their reason.

March 17, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  23. Michael

I’ve never had a job and I’m waiting at least another year before getting a job myself but I would expect that any successful job search starts with applying to as many jobs as possible to make sure you get at least one. Also, I’d say to tell employers as many of your best features and to live up to what you say at all times.

March 17, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  24. ee

Where I live, getting a job is hard. It's especially harder for me because I'm only 15. There's not a large amount of jobs available for me. I turn 16 in April, so then I'll be able to find a semi-good job, but I need the money now.
    I could be able to work at the local Kroger; they hire plenty of 15 year olds. But that's the problem, they hire too many teens. Now all the jobs there are taken.
    I think I'll apply there anyways, just incase someone quits ro gets fired. The pay's not great, but it's better than nothing.

The best thing to do, is to apply where ever you can. Applying to many jobs at the same time may not always be a good idea, so I wouldn't suggest it. Try applying at the higher paying jobs first, and if you're not hired there, move on to lower paying jobs.
    Make sure you stand out at the interviews. They interview so many people, that you can just blur in with the crows, you must stand out. Show your personality, but still respect the employers.
    Depending on where you're applying, have a portfolio of your work with you.
    Most importantly, be confident. Employers don't want to hire someone who isn't sure if they can handle the job. They want to hire someone who's confident and knows they can do gr eat if hired.

March 17, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  25. Lion-O

To get a job, you have to be a professional as you possibly can. Your resume should be in perfect order and during the interview you should be polite and courteous to your potential employer. Also, when getting letters of recommendation, make sure that the people you choose to write these letters are not relatives, but people who would have a good standing in the professional world.

March 17, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  26. Mario

When interviewing for a job in this economy you want to make things look perfect on your resume. Be sure to put your achievements on your resume and this is one of the only times you really want to show off your accomplishments. During the interview you want to be confident. An interviewer looks for leadership and many other characteristics and these characteristics can be a deciding point if two people have near the same resume.

March 17, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  27. Kayla

I have worked ever since the age sixteen. I think the only thing that was different about me from other people is that I have been in FFA for six years and I have degrees that show that I have finishing ability. The company that hired me when I was sixteen was very impressed about all the different things I had accomplished outside of school, also when I got my other job they noticed that I had worked with the previous company for almost two years before they were going out of business, and they like my job skills that I had developed during the time with them. I believe if you have accomplished something out of school, put it on your resume, rather it is awards, degrees, or sports let them know that it something that is different about you.

March 17, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  28. Anthony

My suggestion for how to get a summer job would be to try to find a job with someone you know. This way they already know you and you don’t have to be interviewed and make a first impression. Also try to find a job where you can get paid under the table so you don’t have to pay taxes and stuff

March 17, 2009 at 9:05 am |
  29. William

I think the best way to get a job is to have a good interview by really bring out your personality. You don't want to look sloppy. Really tell the person who is interveiwing you want you have done in your life.

March 17, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  30. Ms. Whitmore's Class

My class suggests the following tips for anyone seeking employment:
    1. Be respectful when speaking with the managers.
    2. Make good eye contact
    3. Dress appropriately
    4. Use proper grammar
    5. Speak clearly
    6. Be on time for interviews
    7. Be confident in yourself!

March 17, 2009 at 9:37 am |
  31. Roger

Always dress nice. Remember, school is practice for real work! Act good in school.

March 17, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  32. christina

If you be your self and show them that you are willing to work then you should be all right.

March 17, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  33. james

be on time and go every day and do your job and behave and u wont get fired

March 17, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  34. Shawn

I work in the summer i corn detassel in the summer and my tip just don't miss very many tassels because you get in trouble and if you get every one you get rewards

March 17, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  35. Marianne

If someone is trying to get a summer job, there are just three major keys to sucess. Smile and seem friendly and inviting, look your best (wear bright colors), finally emphasis your best features such as people naturally like you!!!

March 17, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  36. Coolio

Pepople should tell of there past experience working if they have them, and should also tell of there additions they could bring to that job such as being hardworking or friendly.

March 17, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  37. Robert

I don’t have any tips for getting a job because I have never had a job, but I plan on getting one this summer so all the tips that get posted will help tremendously. I need extra money so that I can buy the things that I need to keep myself entertained.

March 17, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  38. Jessica

If you really need a job, you can't be picky. Fill out applications EVERYWHERE. If you apply to as many places as possible, then the odds are good that at least one of them will be hiring. If more than one calss back for you to come to a interview, go to both. And be willing to start out at the bottom- I started as a bagger at a grocery store, and i pretty much did everything. i bagged, cleaned the bathroom, took buggies in, and pretty much anything else you can think of. Do a good enough job, and you will be promoted. Also, if you have trouble getting a job, with doing all those things, ask your friends who have jobs. See if they can put in a good word for you, or at least get you a interview.

March 17, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  39. Ross

I would say, if you are looking for a job, you come prepared. You need to be well dressed, and well groomed. This way, your employer will look at you with respect, and think how nicely dressed you are. If you are well dressed and well prepared, you should land your job for the summer.

March 17, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  40. Griffin

Well a good resume always helps, but it's also good to show your employer that you are a quick learner and that you are fast and efficient especially if you are applying for a job in the food industry. Also you need to have good social skills when talking to customers.

March 17, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  41. Tyler

The best plan for getting a summer job is to apply as early as possible. Don't wait until summer time to apply, start applying to places during the spring. Apply to as many places as possible and don't be picky about where you want to work or your hours. With the economy like it is, a job is a job.

March 17, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  42. AuStiN

well if you have never had a job before than you are pretty much screwed. all people are lookoing for in this day in time is other people who already have the skills needed for the job. unless you can create one heck of a resume you are pretty much sol.

March 17, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  43. Ciara J

I think mainly that if you can find a job then it is your luck, because with the problems we are having right now it can be hard to find a job these days

March 17, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  44. Trent

Teens could mow lawns, clean cars, or clean fire places.

March 17, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  45. HuNTeR

Luckilly I've had the same job working at Zaxby's for about 2 years now. In that time I've been promoted once, recieved several raises and up for another promotion to manager. At 18 years old I've never had any job trouble. The key tips to job success is good manners, respect for your peers and superiors, leadership skills, and a dedicated work ethic.

March 17, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  46. Trent

You won't have a boss to boss you around if you make your own job. And you wont get fired.

March 17, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  47. Dana

If you've never had a paying job, but you have been involved in Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts or something similar, you might still have had some training in sales tactics for fundraisers, like selling cookies or popcorn. You could put that in your resume. Just don't exaggerate it, make sure it's clear that you didn't make money. If you absolutely can't find a job, you could get creative by selling things that you've made. You might not make much money, and you may or may not like doing it, but you can choose your coworkers or to work independently, and some money is better than none.

March 17, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  48. parker

I think that for the interview, you should say what you are good at that would help you in that job. That should help.

March 17, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  49. HANNAH

Well, I've never had a job yet... but, I think I would be really energetic and "up" for the job. But yeah I don't know yet. Yeah.

March 17, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  50. J

I have never had a summer job except for mowing the lawn every now and then. I think that it is pretty crazy that a bunch of adults are looking for summer jobs too.

March 17, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  51. Ginger

I think that you should start as soon as you can so you have some money saved up in case it takes you some time to find a job.

March 17, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  52. connor

I work for my mom in the summer mowing lawns and run a store and get a good amount of money

March 17, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  53. Homie

Haven't had a job yet but i would think that you should just be yourself and be very polite!!!!

March 17, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  54. chandler

I would definitely wear appropriate clothes for the job. In Step Brothers Will Ferril and his brother go to a job interview wearing tuxedos. The job they were interviewing for was porta-pody cleaning. Dress for the job!

March 17, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  55. Karen

If I was trying to land a summer job, I think I'd try to make a really great first impression. For example, wear something nice and try to bring an organized folder with your resume and recommendations. When asked questions, put in a good word for yourself, but don't skip any of your faults. Be honest about yourself, and see if you're really the person they're looking for to have that job.

March 17, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  56. ??

i think that one thing you can do to make an impression at a job interview is present yourself well. You need to look like you care about yourself and your appearence because the employer will like that you cared enough about the job to look your best.

March 17, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  57. Abby

You can get a summer job by being really social and always having a smile and agreeing with people all the time because that will make a good impression on them and they will come back.

March 17, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  58. Matt

I suggest the people that are getting interviewed should say the less important things first then say more important stuff at the end. Chances are then the interviewer will here the stuff you want them to here. And tell them interesting stuff about you collections, hobbies, anything!

March 17, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  59. Anabel

Well I don't really work in the summer so I don't know any tips to getting a summer job. Um..... you could have a lemonade stand.

March 17, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  60. Marshall

I'm only thirteen but if I would go to a job interview I would dress up in a button up shirt and a tie. My dad said that when I get older and want a summer job he would make me go through the normal things of a job interview. The good thing is that I am the son of the owner of a small business. You could get to be really good friends with the owners kids if they have any and then maybe you would have a better chance than the people that are bullies.

March 17, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  61. Cody

I mo. lawns in the summer i make my own card and lower my i went from a big law 20$ to 10 dollars

March 17, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  62. Jared

I don't do anything special whenever I want or need money all I do is go around and ask people if they want there leaves raked or snow shoveled for ten bucks they hardly ever say no.

March 17, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  63. Alyssa

I don't work right now but if I were to get a job I would try to have the best things on my resume and hopefully I have done enough good things as far as school and experience in jobs to have them hire me.

March 17, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  64. david

my school has a detasling program for the summer and all the money will go to a car theres no way i ll get enough money for college

March 17, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  65. Austin

If you have you don't have a job and you go to look for one and there isen't eney our screwed

March 17, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  66. Justin

I am 13 and i have had a summer job for 2 years now and i just got a raze a few months a go and my tips are just look for farms and ask them if you can have a job and most likely they give you the job or point you to anther farmer who needs help

March 17, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  67. Matthew

Never wear white socks unless they are on your hands and you are interviewing as a puppetteer

March 17, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  68. Julio, Cristina , Juan

1.)Where nice cloths to the interview.

2.)Have a great atitude when you go to an interview.

3.)Be preaperd of what you are going to say.

4.)Take things you might need.

5.)Be talkative infront of the boss.

6.) Take a shower before you go and brush your teeth.

7.)go to an interview with a positive character.

8.)Answer questions incomplete sentences.

9.)say positive and nice words infront of the boss.

10.)Be really patient and wait your turn.

March 17, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  69. Pablo and Raul

1. to show repcet to them.

2.don't go smelling bad.

3.to be nice to them.

4. don't talk back.

5. you have to work hard.

6. that you will show up everday

March 17, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  70. Bryan & Cindy

{ have sell respect for the people that interview you.

{you have to have lots of expirents.

;]

March 17, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  71. justice

the jobs teens obtain are easy money grown adults should have no problem getting that job over a younger person.

March 17, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  72. Taylor

You need to make an outstanding resume and dress the part. The more professional you look at an interview shows that you are responsible and really want the job.

March 17, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  73. shawn

it helps when making a resume if you have already had prior jobs, it also helps if you are employed at the time of looking for a new job to show them that you are resposible and trustworthy. it helps if you know someone in the company or if you have a strong resume. i also try and show my employer that i have a good personality and am fun to work with.

March 17, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  74. Jake

One well known tip for job finders is to basically be a “kiss-up”. Make sure you’re interview and resume point toward that specific job you are targeting. Also, make something a little extra, such as a business card with your name and their company logo on it. Impress everybody you come into contact with. Be upfront with every word.

March 17, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  75. Marie

One thing I do is dress for the job. You want to look nice but also think about what the interviewer would like to see. Sometimes I tell little white lies. For example, I don’t like kids that much but if the job requires me to I will say I love them. Those are the things that have worked for me.

March 17, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  76. KYLE

I would say that when you are going to get a summer job you must put yourself up above the competition write down 3 questions you have for the interviewer and dress professional, last summer I worked at a theme park much like the one you showed on your segment and to get the job you need to express how outgoing you are and how good you work with customers it will make you look that much more great to those who decide who to hire.

March 17, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  77. Eric

I currently have a job that i will be keeping until summertime. A few ways you can stand out is to make sure you wear nice clotheing that suit the job you are are looking for, and during your interveiw use words like initiative. they like that.

March 17, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  78. Jordan

Personally I feel as though it’s not that hard to obtain a summer job. I am a senior in high school and I have not one job, but TWO. I have worked at both of my jobs for over a year and I will continue to work at them over the summer until I go to college in the fall. For me, I think it’s easy to land a job if you can get an interview. Once they schedule that, you’re basically golden, I found it easy to just be myself in my interview. You need to be professional, but at the same time bubbly and fun. Employers don’t want to work with boring people, you want to answer all of their questions before they even have time to ask them. List your previous jobs if any, list your personality traits, you need to be responsible, outgoing, hardworking, etc. Typical common sense stuff, I really don’t think its hard to get a job, if a senior in high school can manage two jobs and maintain a social life, I’m pretty sure anyone can do it.

March 17, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  79. Alexis

I can’t say that I have a lot of job experience but I feel there are some common sense actions one can take when trying to secure a job.
    1. Be confident. If you at least pretend you know what you are talking about, interviewers will think you do. I’m sure they will like the outgoing attitude that comes with confidence also.
    2. Come prepared. Think to yourself what questions an interviewer might ask you. Rehearse what you would say to a difficult question as well as the common questions.
    3. Look professional. Don’t come in jeans and t-shirt. Black is always a safe color. How you look is the fist impression an interviewer will have of you so make it a good one.

March 17, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  80. Chris

I think if you're wanting a summer job, dress casual like you're already going to be working there. Turn in your application to the manager if possible, and mention to him/her that(if your not experienced in the area your applying for) that you're open to new ideas and you will work as hard as you can, and tell the manager that he/she will not regret hiring you. Last summer I got my first job at a pizza place as a dishwasher doing this and I'm pretty sure it will help anywhere else you apply for.

March 17, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  81. Spencer

To get a job these days, you need to either have a job in a field that is absolutely necessary and won't fall with the economy, such as healthcare, or you need to have an outstanding resume that stands out from everyone elses. If i wanted a summer job, I think it would be fairly easy for me to get one because I have a very strong resume. I have high grades, good work ethic, and I have a lot of experience working from volunteering at a retirement home for community service. The employer's wouldn't be able to come up with a reason not to hire me. For someone who's resume is not so strong, you should either go into a field that needs many employees, or just work to make your resume stronger.

March 17, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  82. Ender!!!!!

Go Carl!! The most important thing is showing up. Also look nice and have a good personality. Don't forget to tell them they look nice. Never tell them to shut thir mouth but instead pay attention and answer their questions. This way you will get a super job and ENDER'S GAME RULES!!!

March 17, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  83. Aric

I think that one of the of the most important things about getting a job is to be in really good health. This might increase your chances, depending on which job field you are planning on going into! Another good way of getting a job is to have a past history of doing a job that is similar and you are experienced in! -Aric

March 17, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  84. Reynaldo

well i think that for getting a good job you should get like a part time job or something that's what i think.

March 17, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  85. Utau

I want a summer job, but I cannot drive yet... (That's what I get for being born in August!!) But I guess the biggest tip would probably be to just be yourself, while looking professional of course.

March 17, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  86. Kori

If you need a summer job make sure you go after a job that you know you will be good at. Then you have a better chance of getting hired.

March 17, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  87. Carl

getting a job is a good thing

March 17, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  88. Jack

Michigan has the largest unemployment rate in America. Therefore, it's very tough to get a job there. But when you walk into an interview, dress nicely. A company really looks for organization and neatness. Also, kiss up to the interviewer and be in a good mood. People really will look for a person to brighten up anyone's day (especially business people). When you leave your interview, shake the person's hand and say good-bye with a smile.

March 17, 2009 at 6:54 pm |
  89. Andrew

I may be 11, but my partial mustache could help me get a job more mature = more money

March 17, 2009 at 7:12 pm |
  90. alyssa

i think that the job recession is gonna get worse before it gets better and young people are going to have ahard time finding work.

March 17, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  91. Brady

one way to do well in an interview is to be organized and stand out from the crowd

March 17, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  92. Colton

In order to be well qualified for a job you should stand out from the rest of the others. You should have a very strong resume and experience in the field of the job you are qualifying for. Summer jobs are going to be hard to come by sice employment rates have risen. If you have connections then you are in good shape with the summer job you're interested in. As long as you are well-rounded and have participated in volunteer work, recieve good grades and have experience working you are in good hands.

March 17, 2009 at 9:58 pm |
  93. Brayden

Just be yourself. You could get a job by lying, but you would get fired immediately. I would rather have a truthful average worker than an exemplary employee that lies.

March 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  94. Alecia

Be truthfull in your application and resume. i sugest taking and doing community service, and have good reports from people on their reports if their bad dont include them and find someone else to give one.

March 17, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  95. Marcus

Sometips for getting a job over the summer is trying to work for people you know. If family friends you run jobs, or your family runs a job then work for them. Or if you need a reume for your job send one in early and make it creative with a good cover letter.

March 18, 2009 at 7:53 am |
  96. Ashley

I want to get a summer job.. anyway.. I think the most important thing to get a job is to be respectful in the interview. Also you have to make a good resume.

March 18, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  97. Charlotte

well, i got a job at a grocery store when i was 14, and that is kind of young at that age, and what i did, was made sure i made eye contact, and talked nice a clearly, and was just my self. they luved me, and i was working there the next week. it was awesome. so, just be yourself, because if they find out your not really like that, that could get them mad.

March 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  98. Drew

Well since I work you should dress nice if you get an interview. Don't were anything that does not look good. Make sure you look your best if you do you might just get picked for the job. I did not even get an interview because I work were my grandpa works. On you application don't lie about anything.

March 18, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  99. Karisa

For my age there is not much we can do for jobs. We can either babysit or detasle. I am detasling because you get money even though its hard work.

March 18, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  100. Austin

Yeah I am 15 and I know how hard it is as a kid to get a job I have tried and tried but I never get that on call saying I got the job! And I am checkin out. get it check lol you rock carl...

March 18, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  101. Ashley

I'm suggesting that you were nice clothes to an interview. Respect the interviewer. Just be yourself.

March 18, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  102. L*OG@N

One way to definitely get a job is to be very organized. Also if they ask you a question and your not sure about the answer, at least act like you know the answer like in other words always be sure of yourself even if your not. Also stand out be yourself. And don't forget to use good manners as well.

March 18, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  103. parker

I would be nice to the boss unless he makes you work to many hours.

March 18, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  104. Dylan

With all these things going on, I should knoiw how all those kids feel who's parents got laid off. My mom got laid off just last week, and now she's trying to get a book ledger job, that pays less amount of money than it did her old one. My advice is to just get out there and try your best. Just go out there and get your resume`, then go get an interview. I'll be in the stage of getting a job soon, and I for SURE don't want to get laid off... at all!

March 18, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  105. Hayleigh

Guten Tag! Well with all of the kids getting out of school and needing jobs and the Adults getting laid off, we need to make more jobs and go there ahead of time before you get laid off or out of school. When you get there look your best if you have a piercing that isn't ears you shouldn't wear them in. Keep the way you dress clean and your hair neat. We all need to look nice for a job. We need to show people that we will be hard workers and wont slack off. They need to see that you are going to do everything you are told.That we will be top of our game.
    Well that is what I think. Take as you will. Afedosehn

March 18, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  106. ?????????

The only tips I can give you is that be yourself but dress like you are ready for work and don't panic when they ask you questions just keep cool.

March 18, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  107. Pauline

Its really hard to get a job so the best thing to do is be yourself no matter what.

March 18, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  108. ME

I AM WAY TOO YOUNG TO HAVE A JOB THE ONLY ONE I CAN DO IS TO HAVE A LEMONADE STAND IN MY DRIVEWAY.

March 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  109. billy

i think it would help if you act like a really nice person but if you are not a nice person then that is a bummer for you.

March 18, 2009 at 7:35 pm |
  110. Rachel

Don't have anything bad in your school record because they look at that. And also have good grades that hepls a lot and a good attitude

March 18, 2009 at 7:38 pm |
  111. Annika

I think that people should tell them about there life and what the have gone through so the company really knows who they are, what the missions are and exactly what they want.If people lie because they don't like something there life they did I don't think they should lie about that, because if someone finds out then the company would not think they are trustworthy so that wooldn't make them want ot hire them at all.
    -Anika

March 18, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  112. Kole

i think some good ways to land a job is to be respectful. also, were kids and not looking for big bucks. maybe do it for cheap. with this bad economy people cant afford to pay you to much, so lower your prices and be happy with what you get. and also, try to look your best and be on your best behavior. (gosh i sound like a teacher.

March 18, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  113. coco

im to young to get a job! but i might have to get a job to support my self , because if i want new clothes it's got to come out of my money.

March 18, 2009 at 9:29 pm |
  114. caitlin

talking with friends is awsome.... t.v. is okay but you can get fat if you wath to much... but talking with friends is still better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 18, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  115. Ck

In order to get a good job, you must be careful. There are several qualities to maintain in order to get a job.

1. Smile
    2. Speak clearly and understandingly
    3. Dress to occasion
    4. Be polite
    5. Focus
    6. Act like you really want it

March 19, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  116. Carly

I think that with the economy being how it is then you need to be really mature while going to a job interview. I think you should act mature, be polite, show respect to all people, be willing, and alot of other things that will show that you are capable to work in such a job.

March 19, 2009 at 10:07 am |
  117. JoJo

Listen to your teacher, mother,and brother. Be good in school. You just need these 2 simple rules to get a job

March 19, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  118. anastasia

talking to your friends is so much fun , you can talk about anything .now i like tv but there are not a lot of shows to watch.

March 20, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  119. Anonymous

come on people jobs are easy to get you just have to have a lot of money and talent and if you don't have that then theres gotta be something out there for you even if it's minimum wage

March 20, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  120. sam

hey my advise(probably diddnt spell that right sorry) is that you be yourself and dont be rude because if you try to be some one other tha yourself you will show uo to work one day and they will think that i dont rember hireing a person that dosent do a good job and if you just be yourself you will be more likely to get that job if they like your work ethic and hire you at more jobs and all that good junk

March 20, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  121. austin

work is boring even if you do get money

March 20, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  122. Alyssa

There are several things you can do that will help you land a job...
    -Dress like you want the job- ladies hair out of the face.
    -Apply for any job- as long as your making money its a start.
    -Make a good resume- employers do look at those.
    -Be EXTREMELY friendly- Employers like that.

March 20, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  123. Ben

Id think youd just want to be your self because if you dont act yourself once you get the job youd have to fake it the whole time and eventualy your employer will see through . That i think is the best thing to do to try to get the job

March 20, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  124. Zach

You can where a crazy hat , that would make stand out alot!

March 20, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  125. aja

I think that every one that lost their job, should get money once a month...hello Ms.Cross's class...cheese is GOOD!!!

March 20, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  126. Jack

It is all about how you act. Sure wearing nice cloths might help
    but when you get a job bosses look for good atttude

March 22, 2009 at 3:38 am |
  127. Austin

A tip for getting a job is to do good things in your previous job. My dad flies to different states. And the company asked about how he was with his previous job. Like he got his work mostly right so he was hired by the company.

March 22, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  128. Jesse

i think the trick to getting a job is to specialize, you should have good interveiw etiquette and dress the part but if you really want a job and want tog et hird quickly pick a job that has its own specializations and certifications you must get before being able to perfom like lifeguard or camp counciler.

March 23, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  129. Amy

Tips for Jobs

– The best thing to remember is that you are wanting a job, and the employer is the one to give it to you, so make sure that you are a sweet, as accomidating, and as professional as you can be. Don't show any disrespect, or treat your potential employer like one of your regular friends. Look sharp, talk correctly, and let the good things about you shine through.

– FOLLOW UP! Make sure that you call your potential employer back. Most employers are looking for employees that are dedicated and serious about their job. If you don't get a call back within two days (unless told other wise) call them back, and ask if they have reviewed your resume and if they have any questions or comments. Thank them for their time, and make sure they have your number. If they don't call back two days after that, call back again. If after a week or two, and still they will not give you any answer, this probably means it's a no, but don't give up until they say so. Good luck!

March 23, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  130. shelby

I think you are great at your job you really help me under stand what is going on around here. THANK YOU carl. keep doing what you do.

March 23, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  131. people person

i think people should help other people get jobs but some people just don't like working

March 24, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  132. Rebekah

Well NO MOHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  133. Alli

I would say just have good manners, show that you are hard working, willing to do the work, dress appropriately, and explain how you could benefit their business.

March 24, 2009 at 9:31 pm |
  134. roger

You can get a job if you try hard . If you are injured or disabled you can get unemployment but not as long as some people.

March 25, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  135. Wes

Dress like a chicken and talk in a secret language only you understand. HAHAHA you have to have some fun on Student News

March 25, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  136. $Brandon

Carl I have a few tips that I will tell You all

Eat gum so you don't have dragon breath

DRess up nice

and don't show a bad attitude if all these tips fail

March 25, 2009 at 9:17 pm |
  137. Michael

I would tell Obama that he should cut the pay shorter and tell owners to higher people.

March 26, 2009 at 7:06 am |
  138. Big Red

Today everything is now going to be competition. You have to make yourself look the best over anyone else that may come in. Do this by already having your reseme in perfect form with everything important you have done, dress to impress, be EXTREMELY respectful, be nice, be funny, and have a little knowledge of the job before you go in so you aren't clueless when they ask questions about previous experience.

March 30, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  139. Sammy

It would be a good idea to form a solid resume, dress accordingly and be hygienic, be respectful and truthful, try to be optimistic and show confidence, explain your skills and past experience working, be friendly but be formal, show that you are a serious worker but can easily get along with employees, and smile and try to have fun with your employer.

March 30, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  140. jessica

you should look ready and so what know waht your doing.

April 1, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  141. Lyssa

i am going to get a job after reading that artical i gess(hey sup?)

April 2, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  142. Ericka

Out of everything they want someone who will listen and do what they are told right away so whatever you do, when you are talking to them do not show any low self esteem issues.

April 2, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  143. Joe

a great way that working out great for me is to get my lincense first.

April 3, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  144. Yosef

I feel kind of bad for all the people that are trying to find jobs but they cant. I think that what they should do is that if they cant find a job that they should make their own business and just go out selling things that everyone needs. SInce people are trying to look for jobs they cant feed their family cause they dont hav a job and no job means no payment. that is what i think

April 6, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  145. Dannika

good tips for jobss:
    1. lay low dont act all worry like u cant handle it
    2. act very sophisticated
    3. tell them good things u have done and why u are good for the job
    4.dont mention bad things u did at another job
    5. last but not least bring up somethin like i have 5 children it will get them so they will feel bad lol jk unless u want to!!!

reed loves ur show!!!<3

April 8, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  146. Samer

Want to get a job, be your self than just getting a job that u don't have skills on

April 8, 2009 at 6:05 pm |