.
March 9th, 2009

Embryonic Stem Cell Research

We're dedicating a big chunk of Tuesday's show to the issue of embryonic stem cell research. President Barack Obama overturned President George W. Bush's policy that limited the amount of government money for that type of research.

Some researchers want to use embryonic stem cells because they have the potential to transform into any type of cell in the human body. Research supporters believe these cells might be used to replace diseased and damaged cells, possibly treating or curing an unknown number of diseases, possibly saving lives. The downside: The act of getting these stem cells destroys the embryo. Critics say that this is an unnecessary loss of life and that research using adult stem cells is less controversial and just as promising.

As the debate rages on Capitol Hill, scientists could eventually have access to additional government money to engage in embryonic stem cell research. Should they? What do you think?

John Martin, CNNSN Curriculum Writer

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Michelle

I think they shouldn’t spend money on researching on stem cells. It’s a waste of money. And it kills lives of these babies that are about to be born. Shouldn’t you think of anyone besides yourself. Should you risk it and kill the babies that are about to be born. And save a peron that has already lived for some time? I think not!!!!!!

March 9, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  2. Ryan

I think its a good idea but I think President Obama should be worring about mare important things right now.

March 9, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  3. Anna

If it does help Americans then yes they should instead of spending money on things that aren't as important.

March 9, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  4. Austin

While I do not support the destruction of embryos, I do think their is a lot of potential in stem cell research. The scientific community should however do much more research into adult stem cell's.

March 9, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  5. Utau

I think it's a good idea to use stem cells to find cures for diseases, BUT I think it's a BAD thing that they have to destroy the embryo! It IS an unecessary loss of life, they should use more adult cells!

March 9, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  6. Jack

This embryonic junk seems pretty dumb. Once we find a cure fo cancer, it'll all be fine. But right now, I think we should worry a little more about the economy.

March 9, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  7. Gabriella

I think they should, it would help in the future.

March 9, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  8. Mark

Well, I think that doing it is wrong. But destroying the embryo is kinda mean, I mean, It's like murdering! You kill it and it doesn't have a choice! It's like abortion! Government support is not needed! The government is spending too much already! And who REALLY pays for it? The people of the United States! Let the researchers get their OWN money!

March 9, 2009 at 7:53 pm |
  9. maddy

earlyer i did report about this and it, seemed really cool and it would be nice to learn more then the basics. hopefully obama will let the scientist get to work.

March 9, 2009 at 7:59 pm |
  10. Matthew

Stem cell research has many benefits but is very controversial. Since stem cells can be attained by adults I don't see a reason to get them from an unborn child.

March 9, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  11. nay nay

i think that it was a bad idea of former president bush to limit the amount of money for this research but at least its for a good cause at least my parents money is some what useful

March 9, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  12. Kuroneko

Scientists should get supported by the government with their study on ES cells, which can contribute to the improvement of medicine. Making ES cells is accompanied by killing embryos, which is against the idea of human rights, but isn't it against the idea to desert patients while you know you can treat them using ES cells?

March 9, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  13. Justin

They should do this because if someone wants to donate something they can save another persons life.

March 9, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  14. Sophocles

We pay tax money to the federal government and not everyone would like their money going to this sort of thing. I think lawmakers should respect the opinions of those who oppose embryo stem cell research because stem cells are attainable through adults.

March 9, 2009 at 8:27 pm |
  15. Darcee=)

all I've got to say is how is this going to help our economy? that is what he should be focusing on!

March 9, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  16. Jennifer

Wow, embryonic stem cell research is a major topic debated world wide. I along with many who value human life from the point of conception, oppose embryonic stem cell research because the extraction of stem cells from this type of an embryo requires its destruction. In other words, it requires that a human life be killed. I believe this to be the same as murder.

March 9, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  17. Nikki

Adult stem cells have proved to be more useful and using the embryos kills people, lots of people. Why choose to kill people when you can get the same or better results and save the life's of the baby and possibly the people with the disease?

March 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Sebastian

It's okay with me as long it does not hurt.

March 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Rei

The US government should make more investment in embryonic stem cell research because a comparison of ES cells and iPS cells are needed to move forward the iPS cell research.

March 10, 2009 at 1:24 am |
  20. Xavier

I'm more on the scientific side. Well when you DESTROY the embryo to get stem cells, that stem cell can SAVE another life. So on the long side the balance of the world stays the same and the morality of men doesn't fall down.
    We have to be sorry for those who haven't even seen the light. But they will be joyous when there bodies were used to save another from their fate.

March 10, 2009 at 2:40 am |
  21. Ogo

Why would you kill an unborn baby. It's a life for a life. Using an adult stem cell would be better because it's safer for both. Also who gives up their embryo for research?! I so would not even if..............it would save the Human Race from deing. A life for a life is bad enough but a life for an unborn, important, joyful, cute, hopeful life is just human creulty.

March 10, 2009 at 4:03 am |
  22. Tim

Giving scientists the money to find cures for diseases and even helping a long the process is an amazing thing. Why would any human being want to let people die and suffer because of their stupidity. The former president was an idiot to ban this. As President Obama said, It should be up to the scientists and not the government. It's not a government issue, its a issue of saving life's and using this a political issue like Bush did with several things during his term is really selfish and he should be ashamed of himself for not having human life in regard during his decision making process of the ban.

March 10, 2009 at 4:13 am |
  23. Rachella

We should be spending some money on stem research.You never know, they might help you oneday

March 10, 2009 at 4:21 am |
  24. DAVE

Well in the I believe that if the stem cell is going to help cure diseases is a good thing. As far as having the down turn of it, everthing does. I mean to say is that doesn't chemotherapy have a down turn? I mean when you talk of any medical research you are going to have a down turn on it. I mean to say is tha today around us in the environment everthing is out there by biotechnology and nothing is pure. We need more people today and not diseases so if it is going to help is good spend money on it and if it is not then don't.

March 10, 2009 at 5:06 am |
  25. Juny

I think it's immoral to use embryonic cells for stem cell research. The purpose of using them are certainly good; finding ways to cure people with different kinds of diseases, but destroying embryos is not a way to go. Embryos are the start of life and we have to respect them. If the only way to cure diseases is to use embryonic cells there is no choice but to use them, but we can find solutions for different diseases only by using other stem cells such as bone marrow cells.

March 10, 2009 at 7:27 am |
  26. Tiffany

Well, maybe they could get some money, but not too much, there should be a limit.

March 10, 2009 at 7:43 am |
  27. Erin

I don't think this is fair. They should not have money to research this if it is killing potential life. This is practically murder.

March 10, 2009 at 8:04 am |
  28. Laura

I do not think it is a good idea to use embryonic stem cells for research. That is a dangerous thing to do. Yes I know it can help people to create new cells but it is dangerous. I think that giving them more money to it is dangerous. I don’t like using embryo to do the research it just wrong. That is like kill a baby before it is born just for the stem cells. I don’t like use embryo for researches. I think it is so wrong. No the government should not give them money.

March 10, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  29. Michael

Ok, so Obama let stem cell research continue. So what? This kind of research can save many people’s lives who actually want to live but have been denied that right. And what we could do to prevent anyone (except those bothered by it) is to take the embryos from those who want abortions. To me, it doesn’t matter what others do. It’s not my life and I’m not going to live it for them so they have the right to get that abortion. This research will help and should continue as planned.

March 10, 2009 at 8:53 am |
  30. Stephen

I really don't think it's a good idea. At all. It's like killing babies.

March 10, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  31. Stephen

That sounds like a good idea untill you see the other half about that story when you have to kill the Embryo.

March 10, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  32. Ivy

I think that they should, because there are a lot of people dieing because of diseases that scienctists have not been able to cure. And with the embryonice cell they could cure some of those diseases so less people in the world would be dieing.

March 10, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  33. Will

Obviously, the idea of curing diseases sounds good to me, but if using adult stem cells is just as promising than i think we should use that instead.

March 10, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  34. adam

Well I think that this can be life savers to many people who are very sick and need it. I also disagree in the fact that you have to take stem cells from embryos. They should further research other possible ways to cure diseases before resulting in embryonic stem cells. Think about this your going to take stem cells from a developing embryo which in doing the embryo to cure someone that had the chance to live.

March 10, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  35. Erin

I think that we should give more money to the embryonic stem call research. It could help cure many diseases and if the people that get the cell taken from them dont mind then i think that it should be aloud

March 10, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  36. Michael

I belive it is ok to use the reserch but only if the mother is ok with it and it is not used for profit or biological weapons

March 10, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  37. Daniel

I think Obama is doing the right thing. If stem cell research can save lives who cares how it's done as long as it's safe.

March 10, 2009 at 9:27 am |

I think the use of stem cells is good and that the government should give the scientists money to research. Stem cell research could leed to a cure for cancer. That would save many lives including John McCains life

March 10, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  39. Patrick

Personally, I'm very deeply set against this research. If stem cells can be obtained from other sources, there is no need for innocent lives (yes lives, I believe life starts from conception, not birth) to be destroyed just for the "possibility" of a cure. Also, I'm bothered by what President Obama said about using science over ideology. I may be wrong, but don't our morals come from our ideology? If this is just the first step to an administration that lacks morals and justifies actions by science, have we become as bad a Nazi Germany, because the Nazis believed that they were "scientifically" superior and that justified the concentration camps.

March 10, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  40. Jason

I think that passing the bill to allow government funding would be a good call on the Presidents part. What I would say to make it better would be to only take the stem cells out of people that volunteer for it. Because taking something from an embryo that doesn’t even have a say in the matter isn’t right, plus in the process you kill the embryo that would become someone.

March 10, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  41. christina

I think that the stem cell research should continue so if there really is the small chance of some one some were getting helped by it.

March 10, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  42. Shawn

i think that stem cell research would be good for a little bit but if we went crazy with power we might end our world

March 10, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  43. Samantha

I think they should be able to research because they are scientists they should be able to research anything.

March 10, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  44. Ellen

It would be really cool if they figured out a way to use embyonic stem cells. It would cure a lot of diseases and could help with cures for things like cancer, but our economy is suffering and I think we should put the money we have towards fixing that problem. If we get out of the ressesion, than we should definetly fund stem cell research.

March 10, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  45. Jenny

I think that stem cell research is a great idea, and that if anyone is going to be so silly as to try to bring church and state together, they have no right being in politics.

March 10, 2009 at 10:16 am |
  46. Sophie

I think it's a really good idea ecause you'll never know if it works until you try. However, I don't think we should be spending money on this right now. We should be focusing on our economy and figuring out ways we can help it, not thinking of ways on how to tax more, more and more!

March 10, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  47. Lucas

I think that it's a great idea for scientists and doctors to have government funds to research embryonic stem cells. Some people say that those embryos have a potential for life, fact is, they don't. Those embryos are going to be destroyed no matter what, so how about they be destroyed to collect stem cells, and potentially help save lives.

March 10, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  48. Jonathan

I don't think its rite, not at all. They want to take lives i mean how are those embryos any different then us. The only difference is that we never gave them the chance to develop. I mean if you have a kid look at them a picture or something what would you do if you didn't have them because you had there embryo save you from some disease i don't know about you but i would rather my kid live then me if i had to make the chance. Because i have already had the opportunity to learn and live. It should be God's choice whether they live or die not are decision.

March 10, 2009 at 10:24 am |
  49. Robert

Stem Cell research is a great idea. This would be one of the situations where the ends would justify the means in my opinion. I understand that embryos are getting destroyed in the process, but numerous embryos die all the time when women get abortions, so why not at least put them to good use instead of just wasting them.

March 10, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  50. Ross

I think that the stem cell research is controversial, yet it is a very good thing to be researched. For me, this is an extremely good thing for the government to be researching, because if they go through with this research, it would help me out. Because I have type 1 diabetes, there is no cure for it at the moment, but by researching these stem cells, will help create a cure for my disease. This also is a great thing for medicine and things because it will help revolutionize the health care industry, and create cures for several diseases.

March 10, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  51. L.K.S.

I think it is a great idea to give them access to additional government money.

March 10, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  52. bubaj

I think that it should be illigale thats just how i feel u see what their doing is killing babies befor they even have the chance to say "no, i don't think they should be paid to kill me."

March 10, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  53. Susanna

Although these could cure diseases throughout the world if used correctly, I have to admit I am against embryonic stem cell research. I don't think it's a fair trade to bring millions of human embryos into the world to extract a couple cells, run a couple tests, find it faulty and do the process all over again. It's like using the human body, the miracle of human life, like a lab rat. Many people will argue it is for the good of the world, but I find it disgusting and immoral to be so blind and cold-hearted turning babies – the most innocent creatures on earth – into another lab test.

March 10, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  54. Cassaundra & Ryan

Cassaundra says there is ups and downs to this Embryonic Stem Cell research. If they get more money there will be more research to study which can help in the medical studies. The down is it is a loss of life and many people don't agree with the destroying of stem cells.
    Ryan agrees with me 100% of the way.

March 10, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  55. Bailey and Cassidy

Dear CNN student news,

We think that they should because it would help in the long run! It will help save people's lives. Just do it until u have it, but dont keep it going

Bailey and Cassidy

March 10, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  56. karissa and andrew

we think that they are destroying life and it is wrong. they are destroying the lives of many people who knows what they might become it is freaken wrong!!!!!

March 10, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  57. Sage

I severely disagree with any who claim this research kills babies or destroys life. Yes, they have the potential of life, but at this stage they are simply cells. They are not even visible to the human eye! Pro-life people are sorely mistaken when they say you kill children while conducting this research. I think they should research on their own first.

I believe they absolutely should send money for stem cell research. It can help us find cures for diseases and make major scientific breakthroughs!

March 10, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  58. Robbie

I Think it is inmoral. Scientists should not use stem cells from living embryos that have the potential of life....some people consider that murder.

March 10, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  59. Preston

I do not agree with the embryotic stem cell research. I think they should use audult cell.Embryotic stem cells kills babys.I would like diseases to be cures.

March 10, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  60. Tanner

I belive the stem cell recearch is actually a good thing, because it could actually lead to curing diseases that can't be cured today without them.

March 10, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  61. Preston

I dont agree with the embryotic stem cell research.It is the same as murder.

March 10, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  62. Carolyn

I think that the technology of stem cells is really amazing, but it is wrong! The embryos are living things. They need food, water, and shelter (those are the charastics of living things). Those embroys are helpless future babies! How would you like it if your sibling was killed and they didn't have a say in it? It's like putting a cougar in a hen house. The chickens wouldn't stand a chance! Killing a human is against God, and embryos are human!

March 10, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  63. Bre-anna

I think the stem cell research is far from ethnical. It's like murder. These embryos could help a couple who have been trying to have a child. If we do this resesarch that couple may never be able o have a child of their own. We need to realise these embryos are alive and just like us. How would you like it if before you got a chance to be in this wonderful world someone killed you.

March 10, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  64. Jose

I think it is important for medicine research to go on. So having a clone would not be that bad, and hey curing an uncureable disease would be awesome!

March 10, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  65. Jacob

I think it is dumb how he is allowing the research. There pretty much ruining the chance of life

March 10, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  66. freckles

I think that if saving thousands of people kills one embryo, an embryo that doesn't even know whats happening anyways, is worth it.

March 10, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  67. Jordan

I think that stem cell research is a very good idea. If there are ways to help cure diseases that our plaguing our planet, why not look into them as far as we can? From a realist’s perspective, abortions are going to happens, millions of times a year, and since they do happen, why not use the aftermath of the procedure to study disease?

March 10, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  68. blaine

Women have the right to abortion, so why not use use the embryo for stem cell research? It's not like the government goes around stealing and killing embryo's for research in the first place. I think people over-think the subject when it comes to moral reasonings.

March 10, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  69. Bethanny Rose

I don't think they should use embryonic stem cells. If you have to destroy a baby to get something that you can get from a healthy living adult, why would you choose the former? You can get stem cells from plenty of other places and not cause harm at all. That embryo that they are “destroying” is a baby that they are killing for research. That is morally wrong and they shouldn’t be allowed to do that.

March 10, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  70. Britney

I know that it may seem bad to use embryonic stem cells but if those cells are the only cells that can transform into any type of cell, than you have to make a chance to help others get their life back that are affected by these ( as of now) uncurable desieses. if those are not the only cells that can change than I would say no for get about it.

March 10, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  71. Tara

I believe that embryonic stem cell research is vital for everyone. With the increasing amounts of deadly diseases, I beileve the Obama Administration made the right desicion. It's better to cure the deathly ill , rather than wasting time on whether or not the desicion is ethical.

March 10, 2009 at 12:32 pm |
  72. Asher

i think this is great it will at least help some cancer patients and could even provide jobs

March 10, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  73. Sammie

I think it would be worth it to put the money in to research about the Stem Cells. They might be able to find a really good cause for it.

March 10, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  74. Tim

I for one dont believe in embryonic stem cell research. If the embryo dies, it just doesn't seem fair that we should live. That is a possible life and who am I, or anyone else to take it away just because there is a slight possibility that we will better our lives from it. It's just wrong...

March 10, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  75. Leanna

Hmmmmmmmm, save a plant and kill a person or save a person and kill a plant??? I choose Number 2!!!

March 10, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  76. valerie

I think that the stem cell reash is going to help thousands of peolpe every where, and that people well be so happy.

YA

March 10, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  77. Madi

Well, if they can really make a huge difference, than it's totally worth it! But if they have to kill thousands and millions of plants, and don't get good feed back or the tests go wrong, than they shouldn't!

March 10, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  78. Climary

no, they shouldn't continue the research because in the future the cures may cause new diseases. They might find out that there are no real cures for those diseases. But, if they stop their research they might not find out the cause of catching these diseases. If they can't find the cause of the diseases, the people's lives will be on the line.

March 10, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  79. angie

Yes, they should continue the embryonic-stem-cell research because in order for a good thing to happen there is always a downfall as well. If these cells can cure diseases even though it is destroying the embryo, there is still a chance that other lives that can be saved and people with diseases can have a better life instead of using medication on a daily basis or injecting themselves with a needle. There is a possiblility that they can live longer. Basically, it can turn a lot of peoples lives upside down in a good way.

March 10, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  80. Ellen

Stem research sounds like it could do alot of good for so many people, and we should do what we can in making sure that it doesn't go to far.

March 10, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  81. Leah

Using embryos is just wrong. I mean, its against the law to kill a person, and isn't an embryo just a tiny person? And if it isn't a person than what is it? It's certainly not a cow or a pickle.

March 10, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  82. Jen Jen

Well, technically, you wouldn't be killing a (potential) person using embryonic stem cells because it hasn't even started to develope yet.

March 10, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  83. Jessi

no, i dont think researchers should receive $ because honestly... i dont think any one cares!!! ( including me)

March 10, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  84. Brandon

It would go to a good purpose, but we shouldn't abuse our science.

March 10, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  85. Jenny

Stem cells can be beneficial to the whole world no matter what their source.

March 10, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  86. Anthony

cool 🙂 😛

March 10, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  87. Kayla

Life is a gift, to take that away from an individual who has yet to have a shot at life so that scientists can pick and poke at it "for research" is absolutely ridiculous.

March 10, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  88. Ali

I support stem cell research because of the advancements of medicine and medical technology.
    The government has no right to decide.
    We should keep church and state seperate.

March 10, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  89. Shaylynn

The research gets to help someone in need, why not?!

March 10, 2009 at 1:13 pm |

I do not support stem cell research because how can we take away (embryotic) a life for our scientific advancement. I do suppot other ways to get stem cells, such as bone marrow.

March 10, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  91. S@die

I think it is a good thing Obama is doing something other then the economy. Problems

March 10, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  92. Cailie

I think that this is a great idea in stead of running them why not use them to cure others? Cailie

March 10, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  93. Timothy

I do support stem cell research, it is going to help one life or another.

March 10, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  94. buster

I think stem cell research will cure many people and instead of aborting kids use the stem cells to cure other patients.

March 10, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  95. Andres

I support stem cell research because in the end it will save more lives helping to solve diseases, and saving those lives is more important than saving or destroying undeveloped embryos.

March 10, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  96. Marie

I think that as long as you have the consent of the person donating the stem cells. I think that it is fine. Stem cells can be very beneficial for many people. I think that we should be able to do that with cells.

March 10, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  97. Ryan

I believe that stem cell research will increase medical progress as long as the extraction does not harm the host.

March 10, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  98. Jared

I think that if they use one embryo cell they should be able to clone ones just like that since they are doing that with stem cells. Stem cell research is a good thing it could help many people that are paraplegics.

March 10, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  99. Jonathan

I do support because it can help save people's lives from deadly diseases, unless the scientists go to far as to play God.

March 10, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  100. Robin

Studying embryotic cells should be discontinued because destroying human embryos is like sacrificing one life for another.

March 10, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  101. Laura

Embryonic stem cell research is definately a tough subject to tackle...but in these times, shouldn't the issue take a backseat to the economy?

March 10, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  102. fred

its controversial.
    i think it does help, because it can save lives in the future, but theres no guaruntee. so idk. ruin human life to ATTEMPT to save more?
    it doesnt really sound like an amazing idea to me.
    and funding it?
    isnt our economy already bad enough?
    why waste money to something that not even all people approve of?
    and might not even work?

March 10, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  103. Maggie

Though I personally don't fully agree with it, many people are bringing religion into this and that is wrong. There is supposed to be a separation of church and state, so religious views shouldn't decide whether or not government money is used for embryonic stem cell research.

March 10, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  104. Braunagel

I believe they should research embryonic stem cells because it can save peoples lives and to solve the diseases

March 10, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  105. Eric

studying embryotic cells although it may seem wrong now it would help out very much in the long run. they can try to find cures to many diseases and help save many lives.

March 10, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  106. Ashton

I think that they should be able to do it. I think that if someone else is suffering then they should be able to proceed with the stem cell research. I think that they do need to find another way though to do the stem cell research without destroying human embryos.

March 10, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  107. KYLE~J

If we can change the way our medical field deals with a disease then do it. We shouldn’t hold back on our medical miracle due to a few people who question the moral of what is happening. If the embryos are abortions then at least use the some part of the body and not let it go to waste. This could potentially change the way all diseases are handled.

March 10, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  108. Jake

Go forth with the stem cell research! I completely support it, whole heartedly. The research has already been established a successful possibility in evading serious diseases and sicknesses and should be funded and maintained. As for the “demolishment” of human life: it’s an embryo. An embryo isn’t human, barley a life. Some should forget your judgmental, trigger-happy morals and accept this new technology that can destroy lifetime diseases and save lives!

March 10, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  109. Katie

I think the money should deffinately be spent. Anything for a cure. Maybe they could even find the cure for Cancer. I think it’s a risk we can't afford to NOT take. The doctors would be taking the stem cells from embryos from either abortions or the cells are damaged or given up willingly which in those cases they aren’t going to be used anyways then they might as well use them instead of letting them go to waste.

March 10, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  110. ty

I think that it is just wrong!

March 10, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  111. Alexis

Health care is something every American needs and wants. Right now we hold in our hands the ability to cure what we thought to be the incurable. But why do people care so much as to whether or not extracting the stems cells will kill the embryo? Why do people want to save something that barely exists and only has the potential to become a human when we can save someone who lives among us and is already human and alive? Embryo’s have less thought capacity than a plant. You wouldn’t hesitate to pull out and kill a garden weed. It all comes down to: would you rather save someone you know or would you rather save someone you don’t know and probably never will know?

March 10, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  112. Patrick

I think scientest should commence stem cell research because in the end you are saving more lives than not allowing them to happen unless over like 10 trillion embroys are used than it is useless. Maybe. it all depends on the worlds population

March 10, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  113. Micayla & Heather

We think that embryonic stem cell research is a good thing and bad thing. The bad thing it is killing embryo's. The good thing is we would be advancing in medical technology.

March 10, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  114. Caleb and Heath

We don't like the idea of this because it is like killing people before they are born.

March 10, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  115. JJ

I think that the stem cell research on tuesday is so stupid. Why can't they just research steam cells and put it on the discovery channel.

March 10, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  116. preston and jacob

I do support because it can help save people's lives from deadly diseases, unless the scientists go to far as to play God

March 10, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  117. Madison

I think that they should remove stem cells to help cure diseases. I think this because i know people that have diabetes, cancer, and other minor diseases and i think it would help them cure them or make it not heretitary. Although there is a possibility it could damage the embryo i think it is still worth trying. This could help numerous amounts of people from dying or suffering in their day to day life. Maybe its not for everyone, but as long as you have the consent of the person recieving it, its ok.

March 10, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  118. Nekki

I think that they should do that cause they are killing something that hasn't had a chance to live.

March 10, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  119. Griffin

I believe they should continue the stem cell research because I think they will, in return, save more lives than embryos that they have to use for research. They are only taking embryos, which are not humans and have to life. It's not like they are taking a baby or fetus away from a mother.

March 10, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  120. jacob

I believe that if it can save lives than it would be fine to let the scientist dig for money. Now if the money just gets spent and spent than it should be set at a certain amount.

March 10, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  121. carter

It is unnecassary to kill an embryo for its cells when you can take the cells from adult organs. I dont know why anybody would be in favor for this as it goes against the Bible. Also, even if the mother allows scientists to do this to her baby, there are still many couples who would love to adopt him/her who cant have one themselves. You cant take away someones life in my opinion (hence my thoughts on abortion).

March 10, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  122. Nyema

i think that the goverment should give them the money for all they know it might work this stem cell can cure deadly dieases like aids, hiv, breast cancer, and that is a good thing for people we want people to be healthy. So, I think they should give them the money because I want every one to be happy I am tired of seeing people so sick in life I think this is a really good thing.

March 10, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  123. Israel

I think that studying embryotic cells is good. Researching this can do a lot good. Let's say it can lead to a cure for some of things that have been affecting a lot of people... isn't this a good thing?

March 10, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  124. Zamir

i think that they should studying embroyotic cells because people that got these kind of dieases a are dying because of these what ever u want to call and it is causing people lives. it maybe can be you. maybe if they tested you maybe they can get a cure from your blood if you had some kind of diease.

March 10, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  125. Rhadchie

If you can get stem cells from embryos, why can the scientists get the cells from umbilical cords, bone marrow, and human skin instead? That would solve the controversy.

March 10, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  126. DorK

Okay so like i dont like this whole like killing the baby like just for like tests i mean like ya you might find the cure to like aids or like hiv but like you shouldnt like kill like a person to like do that i think its just like abortion like ya.

March 10, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  127. dillon

i dont think that stem cell research is a good idea mainly because destroying good embryoes is just like killing a baby and you dont know what that baby could do if it grew up.

March 10, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  128. ira

I say no becouse it is killing what could be the naxed einstein, and why should one pearson git to choose if some body lives or dies i would not wont mychild to die just becouse some idot.

March 10, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  129. scotty

no dont pay for it

March 10, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  130. Danielle and Kayla

Kayla thinks that if the baby is already dead then why not use what they need to help people who are in need or on the verge of dieing.But if they have to kill the embryo I dont think that's the right thing to do why kill someone who hasent even had a chance to see the world when the person they are trying to help most likely has. Danielle thinks that they should NOT do stem cell research because they are basically killing the babies just so they can do research.

March 10, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  131. chelsea

i think it stupit becuse people dont need more to worry about or complain about.

March 10, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  132. -----------------------

REALY, I mean come on,I think this is a good idea

March 10, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  133. Hair bob :)

hey hairy bob here well i dont think they should because if the state keeps paying and the scientists dont find anything the state will go broke by paying an paying over and over, so no the state should not pay. if the state were to go broke then we as the people would also go broke in many ways peace hairy bob says no

March 10, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  134. DorK

we like( ALSO )think that like if you like get raped and cant take care of a child finacealy an/or mentally then u should be able to give the embroyo to stem cell research

March 10, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  135. A.B.

The embryos used for stem cell research are unused embryos from in-vitro fertilization. If they are not going to be implanted, then why not use them for research? Is there really any significant difference between destroying the embryo because it isn't needed and destroying it to perform beneficial research?

March 10, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  136. -----------------------

thats like craking a egg and saying u killed a chiken but its not devolped yet

March 10, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  137. -----------------------

it's not evern a baby yet your not killing anything and it can save lives

March 10, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  138. jaucelynn

i feel that doing these test are good because it could cure alot of our diseses and could maybe find a cure to cancer! i have a friend with Diabetes and this could really help her!

March 10, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  139. Elise

I think they should stop embryonic Stem Cell Research. Because that embryo has the potantial to become a human. So I guess it also supports abortion witch i also think is wrong.

March 10, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  140. Nicholle

I think that they should do the stem cell research because they could help people and animals. It is a very smart thing to do. If we do this research than we might be able to discover new things.

March 10, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  141. Cayla

I think stem cell reasearch is good because we need to reasearch this now so we know more about it in the future. If we don't know about it now, we will be unable to use this in the future.

March 10, 2009 at 3:37 pm |

i think it is wrong to kill embyos to use there stem cells because, yes, it is saving an older life but it is also killing a new life.i also think it is a waste of time to do this research because they have been working on for a while but they havent even got anywhere. God has a plan and if he didnt then these people wouldnt have been hurt in the first place!!

March 10, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  143. Theresa

No, we shouldn't be funding embryonic stem cell research. It shouldn't even be done in the first place. Adult stem cells can do all the same things and have actually been proven more effective – why kill innocent human life when there is an alternative that is better and safer for everyone?

March 10, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  144. SeanBT

I think that we should be trying this so we can find the cure for some of the disease we have so that america will have a good name we already do just still it will be good for us and we also can save lives

March 10, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  145. Elizabeth

My math class was having a LONG discussion about this today and most of us don't agree with it. I, personally, am 90% against abortion. The other 10% is because-like our class said-what if it isn't your fault? If some guy just takes a girl into an alley and starts doing mean things and he has aids or something, if she gets pregnant at 16 or, you know, whatever and she didn't cause it, then I am for it. But using the cells for science? Come on. That's pushing it. If it is your fault then you shouldn't just say "Hey, if I kill this baby, it'll be okay 'cause they'll use it to save someone's life" That makes no sense!

March 10, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  146. Kyle

Now there's a difference on what a "baby" really is. The point is that there's a boundary on what is a human and what will be a human. An embryo is nothing more than just a microscopic cell, not a human being; it has the potential. Thus, I see no problem with embryonic stem cell research, and it should be conducted in order to save lives and promote the progression of medical research in this country.

March 10, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  147. Zac

I find it very wrong and immoral. It's not only against my relegion, but it's like saying okay, if I'm going to get better, I'm ready to kill a few other people. It's cruel'; like saying other people's lives aren't as good as your own.

March 10, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  148. Zee

I think scientists should be allowed to esearch about embryonic stem cell they could cure so many people from a lot of diseases! Althought they should make copys of the same one other wise it would be like sacrifice!!

March 10, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  149. Mitch

I think that using money for the studies of embryonic stem cells is horrible. I mean, destroying young PEOPLE is just wrong! Sure it could help with heart disease and diabetes, but the price to pay(ebryos) is just too much.

March 10, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  150. Lacy

If you ask me, the only real immoral thing in this contravery is the forcing of other peoples' religion and moral values on other people. I believe that this isn't what they say is "killing babies," and this research can save lives and advance medical research.

March 10, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  151. Harmony

I think that every life has a purpose and doing the stem cell research is killing the embryos, i also believe that disease has a purpose and happens for a reason that is unexplainable.

March 10, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  152. Max

I think that Stem cells should be used. They can cure debilitating diseases. Though there is criticism its unjust because Stem cells haven't been used to there full potential

March 10, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  153. Mr. Weir =)

i think that if you have to kill an Embryo then it is not worth it. Even though it is important it still matters a lot more to kill an embryo!!

March 10, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  154. Rosalie

WHAT THE HECK? Theyre using live embryos that end up dying at the end of the research? Why would they kill life to do that? No research is that important- even if it'll save lives later, its still killing beings NOW! They would sacrifice lives for someone that might not even be born yet- thats pretty idiotic.

March 10, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  155. Jessie

I don't think embryotic resaerch is acceptable. It's creating something to destroy it. Since Bone Marrow cells can create the same type of cells without actually killing anyone, isn't it obvious it would be a better choice?

March 10, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  156. Carlos

What are you talking about? The embryonic stem cell research. It is wrong to kill young people. Why is it too much? It is cruel!

March 10, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  157. Elise

I think that they should stop the Ebryonic Stem Cell Research. Because the embryo as the potential to become a human. So that meens that it also supports abortion witch I also think is wrong.

March 10, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  158. Alexia

I am not very sure about the research, I think it is a good way to help the people who need it, but to end the starting of a life.That's the big problem. Maybe they could take the Embryonic Stem Cells from women that want to have an abortion. So that way when they don't just kill the fetus they can give it for a good cause.

March 10, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  159. Brittany

I think that it is killing babies because these embryos will eventually be a baby someday and to take a life to safe another is WRONG. Some people say that the embryo is nothing more than a microscopic cell. Well that cell has arm and leg buds at the age of 5 WEEKS which means that when it grows to be JUST 10 weeks old it will look like a human.Some of the Brain even starts to form at just 2 months. A baby DOES not just form out of a cell it grows there for months so killing it in the beginning of growth IS killing a human life! I also ask what if it doesn't work are we just going to shrug our sholders and say "Oh well we tried" NO not only did it not work but you just killed a human being!so i say no on the reasearch!

March 10, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  160. Caiti

Although this could cure diseases I do not believe they should do it because it destroys Embryo. I know that the stem cells is a good idea and I believe it is a great one, but I don't think its worth it. Children are the future...we need them.

March 10, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  161. Linda

Personally, I think these embryos aren't being destroyed, rather, they're giving themselves to the cause of Science. After all, is one life but a small price compared to the millions of others that could be saved?

March 10, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  162. Samantha

I think that embryo reasearch and abortion are about the same thing. They are both increcibly clever, but stupid at the same time. Embryo research is murder. THoses cells have to come from somewhere, but that's MURDER!

March 10, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  163. Carlyn

A lot of people want an abortion. Why not take the cells from the embryos that are being aborted? Some people think abortion is wrong, but this way, the women wont have to parent the unwanted child, and the cells we need are acheived without more uneccesary deaths.

March 10, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  164. kelli

i thinks its wrong doing this to dead embryos they could of lived even though its making dieases stop they ned to stop messing with these dead embryos and stop testing on anything because it is wrong to do this stuff if i where older i would find away to stop this and have obama think again becuase im only 14 i cant do much

March 10, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  165. Katie

Killing to save? It is murder plain and simple no matter what is said because it is taking lives. Other alternatives in using stem cells can work to find cures for diseases without the killing. Some embryos are just cells, but they are LIVING CELLS and potential LIVES. Our society and government can't say it's against the law to "take a life" when we have people and governent offcials supporting it.

March 10, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  166. Clare

Embryonic research is a horrible thing to do in my opinion. They are spending a ton of money just to kill babies that could grow into healthy human beings. Sure it might help old people who deserve to live too but can't they find another cure for the disease. President Obama who has two daughters himself should not support this, what if it was his daughters they were aborting for research.

March 10, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  167. Halley

The use of embryonic stem cells is a huge advance in science that I agree with. These cells can save lives and help scientists find cures to diseases. There shouldn't be any controversy over something so good for science, medicine and the well-being of the human race.

March 10, 2009 at 7:03 pm |
  168. Rachel

it will be relly net for me two have cells that i need but maybe that can thack the blood from a baby cord so the baby can meet the word so we can keep all of our money and still have the cell's that will make a big help in our lives

March 10, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  169. Robert

well insted of using pregnate wemen's undorn child, why dont they use wemen's aborted children insted?

March 10, 2009 at 7:55 pm |
  170. Lilliana

Those poor, defenseless, little babies are being used against their will to benefit a project that can be done through people with a choice! This just goes to show how very bad our country is really doing right now, if people are willing to murder small children. Those babies could actually grow up and change the world. But not all stem cell research is bad, there are some cells that can be taken from willing adults to help the sick. It's just unfair and immoral to ignore these babies' right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

March 10, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  171. Trisha & Joanne

There's a moral objection to this, we all know that. BUT you have to think about it.
    These Embryo cells aren't technically alive yet, at this point they are still cells.
    And second of all, millions of pregnant teenagers abort their babies in the US. So they're killing these things too, but the public eye doesn't care as much. Bring in the Embryonic Stem Cell research and all of a sudden there's a sudden uproar saying "Ahhh don't do this?"
    We don't really believe in this, but hey if this saves lives that already exist, then why the heck not? Think about it this way, if you're loved ones or family members are dying of some sorts of disease and you found out that they can be saved through these embryonic cells, wouldn't you want to save them?
    Also, we don't think you should pay the taxes for it though, they should just get funding from whoever is rich enough. We usually don't care about where they get the money from, as long as it isn't from us....

March 10, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  172. Sarah

I know that how to get stem cells is bad and against beliefs, but if a person chooses to not want the embryo, that is their choice. If the person chooses that, then research is a must. These studies can lead to breakthroughs, and we can't fully understand it unless we are the people with the diseases.

March 10, 2009 at 8:24 pm |
  173. grace

i have no clue what it is

March 10, 2009 at 8:45 pm |
  174. Destiney

I think that it's okay to do the research, im not saying its a 100% right; but mothers have abortions everyday, so if they are doing this work to help save lives with the babies that the mothers want to abort, i don't feel it's terribley awful.

March 10, 2009 at 8:46 pm |
  175. Hunter

I go with it. Even though it destroys life, it's one life for millions of lives.

March 10, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  176. alena

NO, thats just plain out murder!

March 10, 2009 at 8:50 pm |
  177. Kiyasha

Honestly there is nothing worng with useing a "blank" embryonic stem cells to save you, your children, and other loved ones thats you have grown to love and care about. I know one thing for sure that If I have a diseases and or disabilities I hope that my mom can do everthing she can o make my life and her life and everyone around less stressful...lets face it. I am a handful already.

March 10, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  178. Addy

I think that embryonic stem cell research is totally wrong because you are killing innocent babies. Think about this parents, if you had a chance would you abort your kid now after all you've went through with your child? Anyway I think the baby would choose to live.

March 10, 2009 at 9:06 pm |
  179. Kiyasha

Why diddnt we put more money in to this years ago?
    If it can cure a person from a diseases or disabilities then I am up for useing a "blank" (not fertilized) embryo to make everyone lifes better.
    I will even put in a few dollars from my wallet.....Its all I got.

March 10, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  180. Sarah

I am not for killing babies, but I belive that if a embrio is going to be aborted anyway it might as well be used to help stem cell research. It doesn't feel anything, and if the mother doesn't want it anyway, you should at least make something bad into something good – it could help cure disease and save many lives.

March 10, 2009 at 9:10 pm |
  181. Chris

I don't think it's right. I would be supporting President Obama but I am a strong Catholic.Taking these cells destroy's a human life which had the right to live.

March 10, 2009 at 9:17 pm |
  182. Hazel

Using the embryos as research is murder. There are no buts about it.

March 10, 2009 at 9:20 pm |
  183. Brandon

I believe that embryonic stem cell research is the completely wrong way to go. First, it kills the baby's life. Sure, it might save adult lives, but what about the babies? Second, this is a terrible thing to do and goes against the will of God. Last, I believe that this should not be done, because you can use adult stem cells for research, and it is still as effective as the embryo's. Also, this would be considered murder, because the embryos still have a chance of life. Technically they are live human beings just like you and me, and it is illegal to murder, so why should these scientists be able to murder these little babies!

March 10, 2009 at 9:31 pm |

I think that it is sad that our president is going to support the scientist that are killing embryos, that could have grown up to be the smartest person on the planet or the president of the United Statesof America.That is what I think and thank you for letting me blog. Carl you Rock!!!!! :p!!!!!!!!!

March 10, 2009 at 9:36 pm |
  185. michaela

A PERSON IS A PERSON AND WHAT OBOMA IS DOING IS GOING WAY TO FAR! this is out of controll!it needs to stop

March 10, 2009 at 9:56 pm |
  186. Brian

Even though I like the idea of trying to cure and rid the world of diseases, I do not think that sacrificing a life (the embryo) is a way of doing it. I think that it is almost as imoral as having a "Clone" then killing it for the body part such as what has happend in a movie called "The Island". To quote Dr. Seuss's Horton Hears a Who "A person's a person no matter how small".

March 10, 2009 at 9:58 pm |
  187. Michael

It is apparent that many people commenting on this blog don't understand that this is not a child yet. It does have the potential to be a child, but it is not. People are also allowing their religious views cloud their logic and use as an excuse to not express their true opinion, but rather the views of another group. Stem cell research has the ability to save lives without actually sacrificing them. It allows cures to be created and tested to ensure they do not have any negative effects on humans as a whole. If a person is willing to use their cells for research, that is their choice and their's alone.

March 10, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  188. emoshawna

i think that the stem cell research is a very important thing to do. it could help many people that are in a wheelchair walk again. they can get the stem cells other ways than from the embryo. they can get it from the bone marrow, or the spine. i thik the ony time that an embryotic cell should be used is if the peoson is having an abortion, and they choose to donate it. becasue either way, the embryo is going to die. atleast it will die for a cause and it wont go to waste

March 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  189. Janelle

I think scientist should have access to additional government money is a good thing, because the embryonic stem cells have the potential to change into a heart or lung that replace the damaged or diseased saving lifes. If we lose one life because of the stem cells that destroy the embryo, then we could save a hundred more. That's why I think scientist should have access to the money. To save LIVES!!!
    -J-
    (((Carl You Rock!!)))

March 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  190. Kenny

The government shouldn't force people like me to pay for destroying human lives. However, if they could work towards a way to extract the stem cells without harming the embryo, I would be an avid supporter.

March 10, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  191. Faith

I think embryonic stem cell research is a violation of human rights. The embryo has just as much of a right to life as any other human being. I think an appropriate alternative to embryonic stem cells are those from the umbilical cords of the babies. They are just as effective and serve the same purpose without killing the baby.

March 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  192. Megz♥

I really think its great that he is giving money to help resurchers but that is wrong killing embryos that could have been people i dont beleive in abortion and this is the exact same thing it murder and i beleive that its very wrong!

March 10, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  193. Kelsey

I think stem cell research is okay. They actually do use the cells that are from aborted embryos. I don't agree with abortion but since people are still going to have abortions i think that it should be okay. Why not turn something bad into something good? It could help a bunch of people.

March 10, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  194. Skyler

What is the point of doing the research? It waists time and money. Even if they do do it then they will save people who are already alive from getting sick or something while killing somebody who has no chance or choice.

March 10, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  195. orlando

I think that stem cell research is okay because they are gonna find out how to make different parts in there body.

March 10, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  196. Michelle and Hailey

Using a embryo stem cell is wrong. You never know maybe that the baby that you just killed could have came up with a different cure using a different body part. And saving more lives rather than killing it.

March 11, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  197. Sarah

All I can think of whenever something of this nature comes up is the movie The Island. Has anyone else seen this movie? Watch it. It's scary!!!

March 11, 2009 at 1:24 am |
  198. elisa

Don't scientists use aborted babies or babies that were goign to be aborted?
    In that case, it wouldn't be as bad. They were going to kill the baby anyways, at least now it could help before it dies. It could serve a purpose.
    Don't take me wrong, I don't support abortion, but if it's still going on, you might as well get what you can from it, right?
    "Recycling babies" as some people put it, seems a little morally wrong, but abortion is the same. If you're going to stop stem cell research on embryos, you should stop abortion to. If you're going to keep abortion, keep stem cell research too.
    If you're going to hell, you might as well do it thoroughly.

March 11, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  199. Cathy

I am totally for the Obama's stem cell research
    people should go for the development rather than sitting back
    if there is possibility for curing dieases, why not??

March 11, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  200. carter

It's not like I don't care for the people with the diseases that could be cured. If I had the disease, I would surly want as much help as I could receive. But you cant kill an embryo for its cells, even if the mother allows it to happen, to me, it is still moraly wrong. If scientists took cells from adults, that would be fine.

March 11, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  201. Adrian and Micah

I think that we don't need more time at school because we won't have as much time to get ready, we will be even sleepier, and we won't have as much time to do any homework or if we're in any sports, we won't be able to do them and get our sleep.

March 11, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  202. Brandi

I think that Obama should NOT fund the research!!! It's just like an abortion-wich I am totally aginst!! There is no good reason to do it... God made you the way you are for a reason!!!!!!

March 11, 2009 at 2:59 pm |

I do not support this way of stem cell research (embryos). The embryos should have a chance at life just like the rest of us. The embryos don't have a voice so we have to speak up for them. Why not try to research other alternatives other than the use of embryos.

March 11, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  204. Sarah :)

This is NOT the only way to get cells we can use for research. This is the same thing as abortion. just as immoral. Taking away a persons life before it's even begun for our research is completely selfish. We all know we'll find cures for diseases some way, this isn't the only way. Killing innocent babies is NOT a good idea.

March 11, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  205. BOBBY

that is just wrong! You're going to kill someone who might even become the next president. i mean come on!!!

March 11, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  206. Corbin

If the doctors had their way when my mom was pregnant, this blog would never be here. They told my mom to abort me, so isn't killing an embryo, whether it be for stem cell research or abortion, just as ethically wrong? If Carl Azuz's parents had given him to research or aborted him, we would have a different anchor, and we love Carl!

March 11, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  207. Meg

I dont understend why some one would want to "kill" a cell that can become a fetus. I understand that you can find cures for diseases and sickness but I think that its unfair to robe a child of life when someone with a disease atleat has life. People don't realize the full disadvantages of stem cell research. I know people view me as a bad person and that i don't have compassion for diseased people but i do, I just have think that its better to save the life of an unborn child (or what could form a child) than to "kill" a child for a person who has already experienced what it is like to live.

March 11, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  208. Marissa

I don't think that killing an embry is that great! That embry should still be able to transfom, instead of killing it!!! That is very cruel.

March 11, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  209. John

I think that this stem cell reaserch is a good idea. It could cure some of the serious deases

March 11, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  210. Melanie

I'm for it just as long as they clone you Carl!

March 11, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  211. Big O

If they did more research on this it could help in the future.

March 12, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  212. Charlotte

i think they should spend money on the reasearch. i think this because once we figure out what is causing these illnesses, and then, we will have it all done, and we dont have to spend anymore money on it, and we can cure the people who have the illness. my dad's side of the family has a history of breast cancer, and so that is one of the things that i fear the most. what if i get it. i want to have a treatment to help me get over it, like the flu.

March 12, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  213. Mel

I think it would improve society and in the long run, help in every aspect of life. It's more of a moral issue than a political issue though but what I don't understand is how abortion is legal and embryotic stem cell research is still being questioned?

March 12, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  214. Savanna

Okay, so I don't think that the government should necessarily spend money on stem cell research, but personally if I were pregnant and my baby died I would be more than happy to donate my embrio to scientific research, rather than it die without a purpose. Even if an embrio is dead, it should have a purpose. But, I DO NOT think it's right to use stem cell research on live embrios just because that embrio, though you may not think it yet, is still a person so if you kill an embrio, it's the same as killing a person.

March 12, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  215. Matinee

I think that if we have the knowledge and funding to have this incredibly advanced form of scientific research, then we should embrace this rare opportunity. Some third-world, and even second-world countries have barely even heard of research. If America has the power to influence change, and find cures for horrendous diseases that have claimed the lives of so many, even our loved ones, then, by all means, we need to seize this opportunity.

March 12, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  216. Gabriella

Stem Cell research isn't right. Our government shouldn't be spending money on embryonic stem cell research. Our country is in a recession as it is and shouldn't be spending money on wasteless things. Even, if we weren't in a recesson it isn't right. In order, to do embryonic stem cell research, a baby must die. To ATTEMPT to save other lives isn't right if it means killing an unborn baby. The baby has no choice on if it wants to be born, but the government isn't even giving it a chance to see the world since the baby is killed to do research. It's okay to donate your body to science if it's YOUR choice, but don't make the choice for someone else, especially an innocent child.

March 12, 2009 at 7:48 pm |
  217. Kirsten

I don't think scientist should get money for this type of research unless they were using cells from adults only.I don't see point in taking the life of a newborn when you have an adult with the same cells and would work just as well.

March 12, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  218. beth

Think if you were that poor, innocent baby who can't make any desicions. You would want your life!!! They are killing a baby!! Its the same as killing a grown child for research! Obama, you are so wrong and your poor and immoral desicions sadden me.....

March 13, 2009 at 12:13 am |
  219. Brittany

They are killing future children just to cure themselves??? what kind of world is this if we have to kill another life to save our own. Man we are in a big game like in the saw movies if we do this kind of stuff. Thats horrible. 😦

March 13, 2009 at 7:56 am |
  220. Brittany

They are killing future children just to cure themselves??? what kind of world is this if we have to kill another life to save our own. Man we are in a big game like in the saw movies if we do this kind of stuff. Thats horrible. 😦 think about it.

March 13, 2009 at 7:57 am |
  221. Emily

Embryonic stem cell research? Why should innocent babies be destroyed just so we can do research, especially since we can get stem cells from other, fulll-grown, adults!? That's a horrid and disgusting idea, and I am appalled.

March 13, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  222. LUKE

Stem cell reasearch in the mind of alot of people is killing, but if anyone watched the student news there is other ways. Also when someone aborts a baby do you want them throwing the embryo away or putting it good use? I think the ladder is the best option because we are using things people are gonna throw away to save lives. Other ways to get stem cells- Embillical cord from a baby can be harvested for stem cells.

March 14, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  223. Kait

I am totally for the researcg and our government funding it!! I strongly disagree about abortion, but this research could one day cure a major disease. The babies lives that are lost are used to help find a cure for the diseases that kills millions!!!!

March 16, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  224. Mallory

In my opinion, stem cell research is an area that we should keep looking into. I know there is controversy over the thought that it is killing, and that it would be better to use the cells from adults, but we could still put some embryos to use, such as the ones that would otherwise be thrown away in an abortion. While watching TV recently, i learned that stem cell surgery could hep someone who is paralyzed to walk again. I never knew that that is what these surgeries could do for people. Now that i understand the things we could accomplish with stem cell research, i think we should continue to explore the subject.

March 16, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  225. Sammy

I believe stem cell research would greatly benifit society. It can help repair brain cells and potentially be used to cure diabetes, if stem cell research is passed it could benefit alot of people.

March 17, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  226. Camille

I think stem cell reasearch is important because it saves lives but I can see why people are against it and think of it as killing. I for one am for it because stem cell research could result in finding a cure for type one diabetes, a disease I have had long enough. Along with other deadly diseases. It's important for everyone to keep an open mind about these things.

March 17, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  227. suly

i think that was a smart choice of Obama to let the"stem cell" research have a come back

March 17, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  228. Shelby

When you use the DONATED embryos they have the POTENTIAL to become a baby... they won't become one unless they are implanted into the mother. When you don't implant them, they are just living cells in a dish... most specimens get trashed because they can't be used. When people say that by doing this research, we are killing. When people step on a bug or grass, they don't feel bad, even though they are killing. In my opinion all life is equal, it doesn't matter if it is a bug or a person, we are all equal. When mothers are willing to donate their POTENTIAL baby to find cures for ailments and things like Cancer or Alstimers then they are doing their country a huge favor. They are basically saying that they think science can do something to change how people are treated for afflictions. Science basically started the world (i do no mean to offend anyone, this is just my opinion) and without science we would not be where we are today.

March 18, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  229. Makenzie

This is so wrong i don't care if it can help people there are other ways to do research they don't have to kill life to save life... and the mothers who donate have no idea if they donated to the research or if they donated to a person who wants to have kids!!!! IT'S COMPLETELY WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 18, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  230. anonymous

dear mr azuz and all at cnn,

i feel that some of the comments left on this subject seem to point in one direction, and yet are somewhat misinformed besides being more emotion than fact.
    i am against stem cell research strongly but i want to inform others with the 'facts'.
    extracting eggs for research is called harvesting and is unfortunetly extremely painful.
    also lets look at it this way patients that need tissue replacement will usually be on the verge of dying and those available for replacement will most likely have alternative option. therefore must we honestly prevent an entire life time from begining to save one thats already half over. i say no.

Mr Azuz and staff please place this message in a place this message in a place where regular visitors will see it or summerize it on your show

Thank you

March 23, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  231. people person

embryonic stem cell research in my opinion is not good. I don't think that barack obama should do this

March 24, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  232. people person

barack obama is actually approving that they can look into that?? He is pathetic to let them go do that to make future embryonic children. it is probably dangerous for people to do that

March 24, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  233. people person

it is a real shame to kill life to save life. someone has got to stop this mess

March 24, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  234. Stephanie

This is both bad and good. Bad because you kill the fetus, which will become life. Good because you can take adult stem cells would give out the same result.

March 24, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  235. Alli

I do not think stem cell research should be allowed because it kills innocent babies and it is not right. I don’t think it is worth it if that is the price you have to pay.

March 24, 2009 at 9:11 pm |
  236. Michael

If he was to start embryonic stem cell research, do it on the people who want an abortion. I`m not for abortion I mean it`s just not fair to steal an innocent life.=(

March 26, 2009 at 7:14 am |
  237. Nck

I do not fully agree with president obama's decisionabout the stem cell research..but then again, it could open up brand new doors in the name of science

March 28, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  238. Taye

actually, i think that embrionic stem cell research is kinda sad but if they ARE already dead would it not be right to use some to cure many?

March 28, 2009 at 9:19 pm |
  239. Grace

People aren't doing their research here. These embryos are from a clinic that would if not donate them, they would throw them out. They are not taking these babies from their moms. That would be cruel and inhumane. But still, it they can take these cells from adults without hurting and raising a big fuss, I don't see why they can't use the adult marrow.

March 29, 2009 at 8:16 pm |
  240. Corin

I think stem cell research is a good idea because it is a cure for sickle cell anemia...yes it may kill babies but it keeps us who are suffering from sickle cell alive so President Obama is doing a good job

March 30, 2009 at 7:38 pm |
  241. Emily

When people talk about this being a waste of money and killing babies, they really do not have any clue what they are talking about! These babies are three to five days old, no heart beat nothing, it is still in a small cell form, there not about to be born like someone wrote. Its not a waste of money, the doctos know what they are doing and it could save childrens lives as well as adults. So before you judge if this is a bad thing do some research and know what you are talking about.

April 7, 2009 at 12:21 pm |